Communications Network
Vast Empire  -  New Posts  -  Search  -  Statistics  -  Login 

ComNet > Neutral Messages > Archived Main ComNet > Before you make any "political" statements...

Pages:  [ << 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 >> ]   
Author
Topic:  Before you make any "political" statements...
chipmunk man
ComNet Member

[VE-NAVY] Petty Officer 2nd Class (PO2)

Post Number:  930
Total Posts:  2064
  RE: Before you make any "political" statements...
April 27, 2004 2:34:41 PM    View the profile of chipmunk man 
But what about when you are defending yourself?

-----------------------
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstien

"You tell 'em I'm coming, and Hell's coming with me! You hear? Hell's coming with me!" -Kurt Russel in Tombstone

"People like you are the reason people like me take medication." -Cool T-shirt

FL/PO2 Chipmunk Man/Kaph 3-1/Phoenix/mSSD Atrus/DEF/VEN/VE/(=A=)[LoC][MC:1]
Sniping101
ComNet Veteran

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant

Post Number:  1361
Total Posts:  3940
April 27, 2004 5:28:13 PM    View the profile of Sniping101 
i believe its an answer, but i dont believe i want to die very quikly,i mean i believe i may die in an hour or in 10 minutes, but why raise the odds?besides i dont think i could waste my life fallowing orders

-----------------------
The Comnet Hermit
TRP/FTC/SGT Sniping101/CrazyRAIDERS/1PLT/1COM/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE [LoR][IH][BoA]
"As long as their is Space, Im going to stare off into it"-Garfield
I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle, here is my spout. When I see an ARC all short and stout, BOOM!  He flies through the hall and out. -anonymous
FlyingKnight
ComNet Member

[VE-ARMY] Senior Sergeant

Post Number:  614
Total Posts:  851
April 27, 2004 6:41:58 PM    View the profile of FlyingKnight 
But if your good at fighting then your risk of dieing will go down a bit unless you jump on a grenade to save your squad which I would do if my squad was not in cover. Or I would try and kick it or do something with it to get it out of danger for the most part. Diving on it would be a last resort because it still might not do much good if it was a HE grenade or some more powerful kind. All in all I am willing to die for my country and that is all to be said.

-----------------------
Lance Corporal
Frank "FlyingKnight" Carter
-Raider Squad
-
TRP/LCPL FlyingKnight/3SQD/1PLT/COMP/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE [LoR]
"Be polite. Be professional. But have a plan to kill everyone you meet."--USMC Rules of Gunfighting
Sniping101
ComNet Veteran

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant

April 27, 2004 6:55:33 PM    View the profile of Sniping101 
heh, we all have our diffrent prioritys, myne being to get by with as little effort as possible. i cant say i'd jump on a grenade, jump away yes, jump on, no. kick, golf or throw something on it, yes, but i just cant say i love anything enough to jump on a grenade for it. nope, not happinin, not me.

-----------------------
The Comnet Hermit
-Raider Squad
-
TRP/SGT Sniping101/CrazyRAIDERS/1PLT/1COM/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE [LoR][IH][BoA]
I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle, here is my spout. When I see an ARC all short and stout, BOOM!  He flies through the hall and out. -anonymous
FlyingKnight
ComNet Member

April 27, 2004 7:06:45 PM    View the profile of FlyingKnight 
I can understand that for the most part thats just my personality, I would die for other people. Some people don't want to and there are other situations that it would do much good. Anyway it doesn't really matter.

-----------------------
Lance Corporal
-Raider Squad
-
"Be polite. Be professional. But have a plan to kill everyone you meet."--USMC Rules of Gunfighting
Argon Viper
ComNet Expert

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-VEEC] Senior Writer

Post Number:  1789
Total Posts:  1789
April 27, 2004 8:11:52 PM    View the profile of Argon Viper 
Eh, I have never been in a situation where I couldn't defend myself peaceably (i.e., slamming the other person to the ground and holding them there).  I think the worst I've done is one sparring match (I took karate) where I caught a guy in the solar plexus with a kick, and that was his fault for running into it (my foot had stopped moving by the time of contact...).

As for international violence, there are very few cases where you could say that it actually helped, much less decided anything.  In the end, you usually end up right back where you started, less the dead people, and the problem you fought to solve eventually ends in a treaty that would have been acceptable before all the carnage.

That's my view on it anyways 

-----------------------
Argon Viper
Sergeant Major/Senior Writer, VE Today
IW COL Argon Viper{ret}
Fallen Angel and Proud of It!
"History is on the move, those who cannot keep up will watch from a distance, and those who get in our way will not watch at all" - Grand Admiral Thrawn
"Condemnation does not liberate, it oppresses" - Carl G Jung
Sniping101
ComNet Veteran

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant

April 27, 2004 9:40:29 PM    View the profile of Sniping101 
apearances are as important as actions.

-----------------------
The Comnet Hermit
-Raider Squad
-
chipmunk man
ComNet Member

April 28, 2004 5:47:12 AM    View the profile of chipmunk man 
I think that a perfect example of violence being neccessary would be WWII. Hitler made plenty of peace treaties, but he broke every one of them. He even betrayed his supposed ally, the Soviet Union. The man was a monster, and the only way to stop him was to go to war. I will also say that the US tried to stay out of the war, but were forced into it by Japan. So sometimes peace is impossible no matter how hard you try. Our best way to prevent war is to have a massive military, so that no one in thier right mind would even consider attacking.

-----------------------
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstien

"You tell 'em I'm coming, and Hell's coming with me! You hear? Hell's coming with me!" -Kurt Russel in Tombstone

"People like you are the reason people like me take medication." -Cool T-shirt

FL/PO2 Chipmunk Man/Kaph 3-1/Phoenix/mSSD Atrus/DEF/VEN/VE/(=A=)[LoC][MC:1]
Argon Viper
ComNet Expert

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-VEEC] Senior Writer

Post Number:  1789
Total Posts:  1789
April 28, 2004 1:11:38 PM    View the profile of Argon Viper 
Well, good luck on that one, it's a literal improbability.  Not least of all because many people aren't exactly in their right minds.  No matter how powerful you become, there will always be someone willing to attack you if you give them reason, and probability being what it is, eventually one of them will bring you down.

I agree that WWII was necessary, in 1939.  If Britain and France had dropped the extreme terms of the Treaty of Versailles in 1930 and concentrated on helping the German people, Hitler would not likely have been elected in a nationalist upheaval in 1933.  Even in 1935, if Britain and France had sent much smaller forces to protect Austria, Czechoslovakia, and the other areas Hitler was "annexing", they could have weakened him to the point of avoiding the all-out war that it devolved into.  World War II was necessary, but only in 1939, it definitely could have been avoided earlier.

The only real way to ensure peace is to go after it yourself.  Every time you break down and go to war, it becomes harder to get back up and create peace.  Every time you kill someone you create some kind of pent up resentment that harms your future chances of peace.  The only way to stop the cycle is to refuse to continue it.

I don't say that we just sit back and let them do what they like, but that we start responding in moderation, and with other methods.  Not only is it a better option, it's also easier, have you seen the price sheets just to move a single company of troops to the middle east?

-----------------------
Argon Viper
Sergeant Major/Senior Writer, VE Today
IW COL Argon Viper{ret}
Fallen Angel and Proud of It!
"History is on the move, those who cannot keep up will watch from a distance, and those who get in our way will not watch at all" - Grand Admiral Thrawn
"Condemnation does not liberate, it oppresses" - Carl G Jung
Shazam
ComNet Member

Post Number:  650
Total Posts:  4197
April 29, 2004 4:06:07 PM    View the profile of Shazam 
The ONLY...  Time is should ever be neccessary to kill another being is when you are defending yourself.  I've studied Shotokan Karate for years now.  I understand it, well, I like to think I do.  One important thing they always say, is that you must be able to control yourself before you can control another person.  What does this have to do with someone putting a gun to your head? 

This topic, beleive it or not, we were talking about Columbine and the 'She Said Yes' Cassie girl in one of my classes.  One of the questions on the reflection was, if you were faced with a simliar situation, would you say 'Yes' to something you beleive in.

There is something, maybe a stupid something, in every single one of us that will drive us to the edge, near insanity.  The same substance that may have driven a man into the blind heat of battle for one chance to kill the guy on the others side, the thing that makes you beleive your fighting for something worth dying for?  What is that?  Bravery?  Stupidity?  Blind valor and complete utter disreguard for yourself so that you can help others?  I beleive such a force exist...

My point?  Get your things in order before your ready to say yes to the lead of a bullet.  There are those who feel they have nothing to lose, but remember...  The second you have something to gain is the moment you have everything to lose, and more...

Define it as you like, I personally have no experience in such a matter, but I beleive that if I were ever faced with such a  situation, I would do everything in my power to help those who needed it.  Helping others is what has made us survive all these years...  God's way really...  No single man can ever be as strong as that of a group who beleives in what they are doing, or for that matter beleives they can justify whatever they may have done by commiting another act.

That's all I have to say on the subject for now...

-----------------------
*Flash Was Here...*
My Real Bebop: (=A=)
chipmunk man
ComNet Member

April 29, 2004 6:05:41 PM    View the profile of chipmunk man 
I think that the US, as the world's sole superpower, has something of a duty to protect people. That includes stopping things like genocide. There are at least 53 confirmed mass graves in Iraq, and that figure was from a report released in January (www.usaid.gov, forget the complete address, will edit it in when I get the chance). The same report estimated that the Iraqi genocide sponsered by Saddam has been surpassed only by the Rwandan genocide, Pol Pot of Cambodia, and the Nazi Holocaust.

-----------------------
(hits golf ball through the stargate) "So, how far away is Edura?"
"Several million light years, O'Niel."
"That's gotta be a record." (gets ready to swing golf club)
"Colonel O'Niel, what in God's name do you think you're doing?!"
"IN THE MIDDLE OF MY BACKSWING?!"

"People like you are the reason people like me take medication."  -Cool T-shirt
Sniping101
ComNet Veteran

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant

April 29, 2004 7:13:41 PM    View the profile of Sniping101 
we have no right to stop anything, we have no right to act outside of our national borders without asking or having been asked, end of story, now lets change subject before somebody gets offended.

-----------------------
The Comnet Hermit
-Raider Squad
-
[This message has been edited by Sniping101 (edited April 29, 2004 10:23:54 PM)]
chipmunk man
ComNet Member

April 30, 2004 5:43:01 AM    View the profile of chipmunk man 
So Snipes, if somebody in another country was killing millions of people just because of what race or religion the vicitims may be, you would not want to help them? Did I get that right?

-----------------------

Sniping101
ComNet Veteran

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant

April 30, 2004 10:45:42 AM    View the profile of Sniping101 
i didnt say i wouldnt want to help them i said i'd have no right to help them, now I'm butting out of this topic untill it changes to something les hostile.
-----------------------
The Comnet Hermit
-Raider Squad
-
[This message has been edited by Sniping101 (edited April 30, 2004 10:46:42 AM)]
Shazam
ComNet Member

Post Number:  650
Total Posts:  4197
April 30, 2004 3:56:28 PM    View the profile of Shazam 
I suppose there is an exception to my little speech...  If there is absolutelly, no way to get around going into war, losing lives, and creating chaos both politically and mentally, we would fight. 

I see what Snipes means by we should be atleast asked instead of jumping in to something.  However, mass genocide is another story.  That IS...  Threatening us.  If they would go out of their way to kill hundreds of thousands of people, what would stop them from doing the same to us?

Sound incensitive, it's the only reliable reason we would ever send a man to war, to protect US...  We are the superpower, we have a responsibility yes, but even more so to ourselves...

-----------------------
*Flash Was Here...*
My Real Bebop: (=A=)
JMac
ComNet Veteran

[VE-DJO] Dark Jedi Knight (DJK)
[VE-NAVY] Lt. Commander (LCM)

Post Number:  1029
Total Posts:  1216
May 5, 2004 5:42:59 AM    View the profile of JMac 
Agreed.  And by that token, wasn't it best that we took out a man who was not only a mass murderer, but also helped out terrorists (he actually gave large quantities of cash to the families of suicide bombers), and had publically stated his hatred of us?

BTW:  Snipes, this is nothing.  We've had "discussions" that had far more venom in them then this.

-----------------------
LCM_ JMac/(=A=)(=SA=)(=MA)(=FOCE=)(MC1)(VC)

Viva el gato mojado!!!!

As a great man once said, here, is where you are.
[This message has been edited by JMac (edited May 5, 2004 5:44:09 AM)]
Raziel
ComNet Member

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major

Post Number:  864
Total Posts:  2873
May 5, 2004 5:19:30 PM    View the profile of Raziel 
On a lighter note a comedian said something like this the other day:

Well they are the sole superpower in the world now, they've spent more money on the military since world war 2 than the rest of the world put together.
Still there's five billion of us, i think we could take em.
Even if the french didnt want to come, we could just say
"Ok you lot start cooking, we'll be back for dinner"

-----------------------
+ Advance Recon Commandos {ARC} +
PC:A/SGMTRaziel/4SQD/1COMP/1BAT/1RGT/Tadath/VEA/ {EW1} {WoS} {VP} {IG} {CDS} {BoA}
Assistant Squad Leader - Squad4 Wraiths
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989.
[This message has been edited by Raziel (edited May 5, 2004 5:21:33 PM)]
JMac
ComNet Veteran

[VE-NAVY] Lt. Commander (LCM)

Post Number:  1029
Total Posts:  1216
May 6, 2004 5:47:26 AM    View the profile of JMac 
Yeah, but the 5 billion would also have Israel to deal with, and between us and them I think that we'd be able to defeat the rest of the world.

-----------------------
LCM_ JMac/(=A=)(=SA=)(=MA)(=FOCE=)(MC1)(VC)

Viva el gato mojado!!!!

As a great man once said, here, is where you are.
Raziel
ComNet Member

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major

Post Number:  864
Total Posts:  2873
May 6, 2004 7:45:17 AM    View the profile of Raziel 
you dont have that any bullets....

-----------------------
PC:A/SGMTRaziel/4SQD/1COMP/1BAT/1RGT/Tadath/VEA/ {EW1} {WoS} {VP} {IG} {CDS} {BoA}
Assistant Squad Leader - Squad4 Wraiths
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989.
Sniping101
ComNet Veteran

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant

May 6, 2004 10:53:25 AM    View the profile of Sniping101 
i've been in more venomius discussions than this and it always ends up biting me in the ass, and this looked to be going there, and sence my veiws are. . .odd. . .its normaly better to not state them.

-----------------------
The Comnet Hermit
-Raider Squad
-
"A spanking new Athlon reduced to a Gameboy Emulator"- Gabe from Penny Arcade.
Rema
ComNet Member

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant

Post Number:  858
Total Posts:  1056
May 6, 2004 11:59:22 AM    View the profile of Rema 
Ok, what are the chances of some warlord in a third world country in Africa or Southern Asia, invading the United States and committing genocide?

One of the reasons we are a superpower today is because no one can invade us with an army. Unless the Canadians or Mexicans get a LOT of help, we dont have to worry about getting invaded. Not that im totally against the US helping the world, but where does it say if your a superpower you gotta be in everyone's business?

Oh yeah, and if we are after everyone that said they publicly hated us, better crack out the nukes, because a large portion of the world is going to have to go down.

-----------------------
"Only Trust your Allies as much as you can Predict your Enemies."
"Do you expect me to talk?" "No Mr. Bond, i expect you to die."
"Luke, I am your Fasha."
To Nom Anor, a truly superior Yuuzhan Vong.
TRP/ASL/CPL Rema/2SQD/1PLT/1COM/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE [LoR][OPE] [AM-B][AM-S][AM-P][IH][SoA]
[This message has been edited by Rema (edited May 6, 2004 12:03:38 AM)]
Ramon Stonefish
ComNet Member

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major

Post Number:  382
Total Posts:  619
May 6, 2004 12:48:32 AM    View the profile of Ramon Stonefish 
...and start calling yourself Saddam.

-----------------------
Ramon Stonefish

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GCS/ED d- s:+ a-- C++++ UL P+ L++@ E---- W+@ N+ !o w--- PS PE t+ 5++ X-- R++ tv+ b+++ !DI D++ G e>++ h! r-- z-
-----END GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Sniping101
ComNet Veteran

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant

May 6, 2004 6:20:55 PM    View the profile of Sniping101 
Rema, im begining to like you more and more. . .

-----------------------
The Comnet Hermit
-Raider Squad
-
"A spanking new Athlon reduced to a Gameboy Emulator"- Gabe from Penny Arcade.
chipmunk man
ComNet Member

May 7, 2004 5:49:16 AM    View the profile of chipmunk man 
Here's what I find halarious. There have been a lot of people arguing that because no one will ever invade us, we should downsize our military. Yet the one reason why no one wants to mess with us is the fact that our military is so powerful.

-----------------------

FlyingKnight
ComNet Member

May 7, 2004 6:25:48 AM    View the profile of FlyingKnight 
Ok whoever thinks that we should be downsizing our military has some serious mental issues to those who think so I don't mean any disrespect but it just sounds like a really bad idea. That is kind of funny because if we did the US could get taken over because there is a threat to the US for the most part all the time.

-----------------------
Lance Corporal
-Raider Squad
-
Ramon Stonefish
ComNet Member

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major

May 7, 2004 8:37:53 AM    View the profile of Ramon Stonefish 
Partly because the US keeps using it's enormous military as a threat or a tool to meddle in others' affairs, and tell the world how it's going to work.

-----------------------
Ramon Stonefish

GCS/ED d- s:+ a-- C++++ UL P+ L++@ E---- W+@ N+ !o w--- PS PE t+ 5++ X-- R++ tv+ b+++ !DI D++ G e>++ h! r-- z-
Kuroishi
ComNet Member

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant First Class

Post Number:  589
Total Posts:  948
May 7, 2004 9:26:46 AM    View the profile of Kuroishi 
I got a few points to touch on then I'll get to the main point of where the discussion is now.

1:  Hitler kept one treaty at the very least.  The Vatican.

2:  Japan probably never would have attacked us, especialy when it did if not for two factors: our oil embargo and being allied with Germany.  I can't remember what book I was reading at the time but according to it a lot of the emphasis to attack America came from the German embassy not Japan.

3:  I consider myself a human first and an American second.  I don't care who is commiting genocide or where they are I want it stopped by any means neccessary.

4:  Yes America is a big bully and uses it's power and influence to make the world more like itself because the leadership thinks that out way is the only right way to run a nation.

5:  It would take less help for Canada and Mexico to invade America if they ever became so inclined then most people think.  Just the two of them by themselves could do so much damage so quickly to our economy that it would be very difficult for us to recover.  Sure we'd win millitarily but our economy would be in shambles.  You'd be suprised how much stuff comes in from Mexico and Canada, not to mention the illegal aliens, who knows what they would do in such a situation.  Will it ever happen?  Probably the day after I win the biggest lottery jackpot in all of recorded history for any state.

Self deffence and the defence of others are the only reasons I'll ever use violence but once I have made that choice I will stop and nothing to make sure I win.

Rule one of war:  Avoid it if at all possible.

Rule two of war:  Win.

-----------------------
Kuroishi Wraith VEA
Daishi Raptor VEN
Assistant Writer Why Project Copyright Infringment
Ich bin hessliche amerikaner.
Nehmen mir zu dein frauen von vernunftig preis tugendhafte.
"And the sound of many heads hitting many solid objects was heard throughout the land." me
Ramon Stonefish
ComNet Member

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major

May 7, 2004 10:05:24 AM    View the profile of Ramon Stonefish 
You mean your economy isn't already in a shambles?

-----------------------
Ramon Stonefish

Rema
ComNet Member

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant

Post Number:  858
Total Posts:  1056
May 7, 2004 12:16:19 AM    View the profile of Rema 
Yeah, our military power has done a pretty good job in frightening everyone into not fighing us. Thats why we are enjoying a long lasting peace time. Wait thats right, we are in a little thing called a WAR.

These people arent afraid of our military. Were the early Americans scared into submission by the British Army? Nope. Did you know that all the greatest empires that existed on Earth fell apart once so much of their funding went to the military? The fact is we waste so much money defending ourselves when a major thing to help would be a leadership that doesnt have their heads up their asses. (Multiple Administrations, just not Shrub Jrs)

Also, im seeing a lot of oxymoron statements running around. People say we are the greatest nation on the planet, but we have to be afraid of people invading and taking us over. IF by some insane chance someone invaded, every man, woman and most likely child would line up with a weapon to defend our nation. In other words we would pull Japan before we dropped two bombs.

Wee next up. WW2 could have been avoided IF the United States would have joined the League of Nations. (which was our presidents brain child) So we screwed ourselves. I think thats it for now.

-----------------------
"Only Trust your Allies as much as you can Predict your Enemies."
"Do you expect me to talk?" "No Mr. Bond, i expect you to die."
"Luke, I am your Fasha."
To Nom Anor, a truly superior Yuuzhan Vong.
TRP/ASL/CPL Rema/2SQD/1PLT/1COM/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE [LoR][OPE] [AM-B][AM-S][AM-P][IH][SoA]
[This message has been edited by Rema (edited May 7, 2004 12:17:19 AM)]
Ramon Stonefish
ComNet Member

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major

May 7, 2004 3:54:27 PM    View the profile of Ramon Stonefish 
Agree fully with all your points (bearing in mind I am not legal to drive just now due to alcohol). However, have you thought that people may be attacking you because  certain people are scared?

-----------------------
Ramon Stonefish

ComNet > Neutral Messages > Archived Main ComNet > Before you make any "political" statements...  |  New Posts    
  Pages:  [ << 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 >> ]   

All times are CST. The time now is 7:50:40 PM
Comnet Jump:

Current Online Members - 0  |  Guests - 123  |  Bots - 2

< Contact Us - The Vast Empire >