Communications Network
Vast Empire  -  New Posts  -  Search  -  Statistics  -  Login 

ComNet > Neutral Messages > Archived Main ComNet > Before you make any "political" statements...

Pages:  [ << 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 >> ]   
Author
Topic:  Before you make any "political" statements...
Ramon Stonefish
ComNet Member

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major

Post Number:  382
Total Posts:  619
  RE: Before you make any "political" statements...
May 19, 2004 10:58:10 PM    View the profile of Ramon Stonefish 
That'll keep happening so long as most of the world subscribes to either capitalism or a religion that came out of the Middle East. Or both.

-----------------------
Ramon Stonefish

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GCS/ED d- s:+ a-- C++++ UL P+ L++@ E---- W+@ N+ !o w--- PS PE t+ 5++ X-- R++ tv+ b+++ !DI D++ G e>++ h! r-- z-
-----END GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
chipmunk man
ComNet Member

[VE-NAVY] Petty Officer 2nd Class (PO2)

Post Number:  930
Total Posts:  2064
May 20, 2004 5:59:06 AM    View the profile of chipmunk man 
*cough*sputter*cough*

So wait a minute, let me see if I have this right: even though WMD's have now been used against our troops in Iraq (the sarin gas attack), you still believe that no such thing existed?

-----------------------
(hits golf ball through the stargate) "So, how far away is Edura?"
"Several million light years, O'Niel."
"That's gotta be a record." (gets ready to swing golf club)
"Colonel O'Niel, what in God's name do you think you're doing?!"
"IN THE MIDDLE OF MY BACKSWING?!"

"People like you are the reason people like me take medication."  -Cool T-shirt
Kuroishi
ComNet Member

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant First Class

Post Number:  589
Total Posts:  948
May 20, 2004 6:44:22 AM    View the profile of Kuroishi 
I've always considered the possibility.

Bush did try to get the UN to support us for a few months and basicly let Iraq know we were coming for them.

Between the facts that cehmical(biological weapons may veary) weapons don't have to have friends or go insane, eat, breath, *other biological functions,  see the light of day, and that we gave them a lot of time to hide or ship out said weapons, I do not find it suprising that we hadn't found that much in the way of WMDs(some canisters of mustard gas and the sarin gas attack).

I also heard that US forces had come across evidence the France, Germany, and Russia had violated treaties and sent Iraq things they shouldn't have since the 1991 Gulf Skirmish(it was no war).  Guess who the biggest opposition in the UN was to invading Iraq.

-----------------------
Kuroishi Wraith VEA
Daishi Raptor VEN
Assistant Writer Why Project Copyright Infringment
Ich bin hessliche amerikaner.
Nehmen mir zu dein frauen von vernunftig preis tugendhafte.
"And the sound of many heads hitting many solid objects was heard throughout the land." me
chipmunk man
ComNet Member

May 20, 2004 6:53:07 AM    View the profile of chipmunk man 
The only reason that France, Germany, and Russia didn't want to invade was because they were getting fistfulls of cash through trade banned by the U.N. Meanwhile, they scream at the U.S. for not following the U.N. with the invasion deal. And here people are trying to call Bush two-faced. (/me shakes his head)

And Argon, the fact that WMD's have been used proves that they existed.

-----------------------

Raziel
ComNet Member

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-DJO] Dark Jedi Knight (DJK)

Post Number:  864
Total Posts:  2873
May 20, 2004 8:21:34 AM    View the profile of Raziel 
France selling weapons? Ho, you jest sir!

We should just have told the French that baghdad was a nuclear test free zone

-----------------------
+ Advance Recon Commandos {ARC} +
PC:A/SGM/Raziel/1PLT/1COMP/1BAT/1RGT/Tadath/VEA/ {EW1} {WoS} {VP} {IG} {CDS} {BoA}
Assistant Squad Leader - Squad4 Wraiths
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989.
CM/DJK Raziel/lion 1-5/Krath/VEDJ/VE
[This message has been edited by Raziel (edited May 20, 2004 8:23:39 AM)]
JMac
ComNet Veteran

[VE-NAVY] Lt. Commander (LCM)

Post Number:  1029
Total Posts:  1216
May 20, 2004 11:10:42 AM    View the profile of JMac 
Argon, I named a Senator from each side of the aisle, so I'm not entirely sure what you are griping about.

Raz, it isn't a question about morality, it is a question of security.  If you have a gun and your opponent has a knife, you try to make sure he doesn't get a gun, you don't give him one in the interest of fairness.  That concept is lunacy.

And Argon, Serin is a WMD.  It was there. 

-----------------------
LCM_ JMac/(=A=)(=SA=)(=MA)(=FOCE=)(MC1)(VC)

Viva el gato mojado!!!!

Yes, I am on extended leave, but that doesn't mean I can't bother people with the few spare seconds I have to get online.
Kuroishi
ComNet Member

May 20, 2004 11:30:40 AM    View the profile of Kuroishi 
So according to your stance if there was a guy reaching for a gun and another person who already had a gun, you would shoot the guy going for the gun and leve the guy with the gun alone.

That's what it sounds like you are saying to me, or do you support the notion of an invasion of North Korea, Russia, China, Iran, India, Pakistan, most of the world's nations?

A lot of countries already have WMDs, just no real way to deliver them.  It is very easy to make biological WMDs.

The only viable reason that Bush could have had without setting a double standard for invading Iraq was to finish what his father could not.

Double standards may work in the short term but eventually it will cause strife and more misery then they are worth.

-----------------------
Kuroishi Wraith VEA
Daishi Raptor VEN
"And the sound of many heads hitting many solid objects was heard throughout the land." me
Raziel
ComNet Member

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major

May 20, 2004 12:22:24 AM    View the profile of Raziel 
WMD's arent guns either, they're a complete abomination and the US should start getting rid of its own nukes whilst going around deciding who can and who can't have them. North Korea have them, didnt stop them. India and pakistan are also being considered for pemanent security council seats now and what kind of message does that give out?

Something that could wipe out millions in one blast, and of which, between us all, we have enough to pretty much kill everyone is not something to keep to stop the "muslim hordes" from coming to get you. What use is a nuke against terrorists anyway?

A handgun is one thing, but face to face against someone in an elavator, both holding rocket launchers is something else.

Do we have any proof that Iraq could have launched these biological weapons at us?

Oh wait a minute, who was that who helped Iraq in the eighties?
Oh that would be us!
http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB82/
And wait, no, that wouldnt actually have been when they used chemical weapons would it?
Oh! yes it would!
-----------------------
PC:A/SGM/Raziel/1PLT/1COMP/1BAT/1RGT/Tadath/VEA/ {EW1} {WoS} {VP} {IG} {CDS} {BoA}
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989.
[This message has been edited by Raziel (edited May 20, 2004 12:57:02 AM)]
Raziel
ComNet Member

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major

May 20, 2004 12:53:06 AM    View the profile of Raziel 
Sorry that was a bit of an outburst and impolite of me.

I just don't want to live in a world where everything is decided by one thing: whether it could threaten the US. You just can't decide who's right, when and where it suits your own interests.
When Iraq winning is in your best interests you support them, when Bush Snr wants to make up for his daddies failings and distract everyone, it's time to invade them. The world shouldn't revolve around one countries "best interests"

I just don't want to end up in a place where the US starts seeing knives everywhere.
Just because you have the gun. Doesn't mean you get to decide whats right and wrong. That is the attitude that everyone else in the world is getting, you fear everyone else, push people around, they dont like it.

And by the way one homemade bomb, from a binary chemical shell from the 80's doesnt make up a chemical arsenal. The chemicals didnt even mix, they only work when launched. It just suggests that there may well be more.

-----------------------
[This message has been edited by Raziel (edited May 20, 2004 1:07:39 PM)]
Rema
ComNet Member

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant

Post Number:  858
Total Posts:  1056
May 20, 2004 2:31:55 PM    View the profile of Rema 
I should really keep up with this thread. Saves me making one giant post.

Ok Sarin Gas. Last time i checked it was a tiny amount found inside a shell casing. Not exactly enough to kill millions.

France, Germany Russia. Most likely they have been selling stuff to Iraq. But who first gave them all of their WMD in the first place? The grand old United States.
Ok, the reason France, Germany and Russia didnt want in the war, is because of what is happening now. Things are so screwed up in that country and there is no easy road out. F,G,R saw that and new what was going to happen. They didnt want to enter a sticky situation. Secondly, they didnt want to send their people into harms way for something that wouldnt benefit them. Freeing the people of Iraq while might have been good, its has made the world ten times worse. By attacking this Middle Eastern country WITHOUT them attacking us, we have just created thousands of recruits for terrorists. So before you go running around saying we freed Iraq, think about what that invasion has spawned.

A good majority of the worlds countries either HAS WMD or are attempting to get a WMD program. Having WMD is the new fad. Everyone has to have them in order to be important and have their voice heard. We cant run around cleansing the world of WMD, they will always be here until we develop some new mass killing device.

The fact is, the US will never get rid of its Nuclear weapons. Its like the Simpsons episode where they get rid of all the guns in Springfield and then the aliens come down and take them over with a sling shot and a stick(or something like that) The US will never get rid of its WMD because it will leave the US without the upper hand on some countries.

North Korea. Reason why US doesnt invade: We would actually have to FIGHT an army. All these other "wars" we have found untrained soldiers with sub-par weapons. North Korea has lots of soldiers with decent weapons. Remember their people are starving because they put all their money into the military.

Countries will always make choices in order to get the leaders re-elected or to help their country. Survival of the Fittest. But Raz is right. The US should not be the worlds bully or the worlds police force. The US needs to embrace its earlier Isolationist feelings in the category of military actions.

-----------------------
"Only Trust your Allies as much as you can Predict your Enemies."
"Do you expect me to talk?" "No Mr. Bond, i expect you to die."
"Luke, I am your Fasha."
To Nom Anor, a truly superior Yuuzhan Vong.
TRP/ASL/CPL Rema/2SQD/1PLT/1COM/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE [LoR][OPE] [AM-B][AM-S][AM-P][IH][SoA]
chipmunk man
ComNet Member

May 21, 2004 5:45:13 AM    View the profile of chipmunk man 
      "Its has made the world ten times worse." Direct quote, right Rema? Well did you know that 53 Iraqi mass graves were confirmed in January, and that the genocide Saddam was sponserring was surpassed only by the Rowandans, Pol Pot, and the Nazis? Tell me, is it really worse in Iraq now that we've ended the genocide?

-----------------------

Argon Viper
ComNet Expert

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-VEEC] Senior Writer

Post Number:  1789
Total Posts:  1789
May 21, 2004 9:23:57 AM    View the profile of Argon Viper 
First off, I appologize JMac, I confused Arlen Spector with someone else in the senate, and yes, I wholeheartedly support the term limits 

Let's see where to start on the rest...  First off, as they said before, Serin Nerve gas really isn't that hard to make.  I should know, in my tech writing class, two different groups (mine was one of them) wrote up instructions for how to make C-4 and an EMP bomb out of common household materials, and this was a freshman level class.  Take a look: 

http://www.sciam.com/print_version.cfm?articleID=000E51F9-AA56-1C75-9B81809EC588EF21

Like I said, these things are a pandora's box, it's never gonna be closed.  All we can do is help it continue to be opened responsibly (for the record, the US, despite owning the largest chemical arsenals in the world, has never actually used them to my knowledge).

As for the WMDs, all we had to do to find out what kinds of WMDs Saddam had was find out what our own government sold him when he was ally #1 in the middle east.

Anyways, the argument about what France, Germany, and Russia had or didn't have with Saddam is an interesting one, but overshadowed by a few significant points.  #1) It doesn't take some kind of visionary to figure out that invading Iraq would turn out in the quagmire that it is, George H.W. Bush himself wrote in his book exactly what we're seeing now as reasons why he didn't invade Iraq himself.  #2) No matter how justified we were, invading before actually having evidence sets a terrible precedent.  Imagine if China were to accuse Taiwan of developing large amounts of chemical and biological weapons.  Do we allow them to invade without adequate inspections?  #3) The one thing that has allowed us to become a superpower in the first place is that no one minded that we were a super power.  No matter how much we could ignore France, Great Britain, and the rest of the world, we never did.  When we invaded Kosovo, we made sure our allies would support us before ever bringing it to a vote in the Security Council.  When we intervened in Vietnam, same thing.  When we did Korea, same thing.  Now, we've thrown that away, and the world is starting to realize they don't want us to be a superpower.  That's not a good thing.

Anyways, I think I hit most of the relevant points, I'll leave this till next time.

-----------------------
Argon Viper
Sergeant Major/Senior Writer, VE Today
IW COL Argon Viper{ret}
Fallen Angel and Proud of It!
"History is on the move, those who cannot keep up will watch from a distance, and those who get in our way will not watch at all" - Grand Admiral Thrawn
"Condemnation does not liberate, it oppresses" - Carl G Jung
Mandor
ComNet Initiate

[VE-ARMY] Lance Corporal

Post Number:  173
Total Posts:  207
May 30, 2004 10:10:23 PM    View the profile of Mandor 
bah, must restrain my self from beating you all with a gigantic stick. I love reading you guys argue and get all political on each other. Its funny. If you take a step back, this war doesnt really affect 95+% of us. If it has directly affected you, then take that last statement as null and void. But for the rest of us, if this war doesnt affect you going to work,school, the store, a soccer game, or another common activity, then i think we should all just shut the hell up. We can say something is good or bad, like invading Iraq, but we dont really have anything but oppinions to base these sentiments on. So my suggestion to you, do like me. If it doesnt slap me in the face, if i dont step on it going to school, if it doesnt blow up my house, or if it doesnt kill someone i know, then just dont worry about it.

Well thats my two cents on all this BS, so have a good day, and before you flame me, actually take at least 1 minute, just 60 seconds, turn your pride down to 0, and think about this. A lot of people will automatically  go to their own defense with out thinking about what i just said because of pride, in thinking that what they have already said is the "right thing". So please please just take 1 minute, and analize what i have said from an objective point of view.

-----------------------
TRP/LCP Mandor/3SQD/2PLT/1COMP/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE [LoR][BoA]
Raziel
ComNet Member

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major

May 31, 2004 2:07:41 AM    View the profile of Raziel 
Well i took a good minute to read that and i can safely say i still think thats one of the most ignorant things i've ever read.

Sorry Mandor, but it may well be killing people we all know, those are our men out there remember?

They are carrying out this war in our name. What would it take you to get you to care? Our troops carrying out a mass genocide in india? A terrorist bomb killing a relative?

When it comes down to it, the most important thing i'll ever do is raise a family and care for them, but we can't take the ignorant view that the only thing that matters in this world is what directly affects me. And hell, this all can and will directly affect each of us. If there really are as many terrorists as we're being told (if there are as many as fox would have you think we're all for it....) then all of this will directly affect us, they don't fight our armies in far off lands. They are trying to get at you.

If everyone in the U.S. took more interest on what was going on in the rest of the world (Or could even find Iraq on a map) well...who knows...

What would your government have to do elsewhere to get you to take notice?

-----------------------
Mandor
ComNet Initiate

[VE-ARMY] Lance Corporal

May 31, 2004 10:52:37 AM    View the profile of Mandor 
Im in 100% support of the war, and i support our soldiers 100% as well (My brother is currently serving in Iraq). Im just saying, im not going to get on this board and start arguing with people about wether or not we should be there./shrug

-----------------------
Rema
ComNet Member

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant

May 31, 2004 4:52:09 PM    View the profile of Rema 
Im gonna have to agree with Raz on the ignorance level of that post you right wing freak.

Raz is also correct in saying that if more people paid attention to the world's events, the world would be a much different place. Remember, we have the right to form our opinions and discuss them. If we let our government run around without any input from the people, they would have no limits. I also believe this board has a certain "fun" factor to it where people that post here enjoy arguing.(I think.) So thats why we do it.

-----------------------
"Luke, I am your Fasha."
TRP/ASL/CPL Rema/2SQD/1PLT/1COM/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE [LoR][OPE] [AM-B][AM-S][AM-P][IH][SoA]
[This message has been edited by Rema (edited May 31, 2004 4:52:29 PM)]
Afyon
ComNet Member

Post Number:  718
Total Posts:  981
June 1, 2004 9:08:51 AM    View the profile of Afyon 
I have been avoiding this topic for a long time but I think Ill put in my two cents in response to chipmunk's statement about sarin gas being used against US troops.

A very quick reality check here.

1. That is the first WMD found.  Ironically, the US went into Iraq claiming it knew where "millions of litres of anthrax", stockpiles of "chemicals and chemical weapons", and "vast quantities" of various nerve gasses.  However now in Iraq, the only WMD they have found was an artillery shell with a small quantity of sarin in it that was used in a road side bomb.

2. Prove that shell was ever made in Iraq.  With the number of foreign fighters who have entered Iraq since the US took over, there is distinct possibility that that weapon was smuggled in.

-----------------------
ASL/GSG_Afyon/Dark Dragoon Squad/2PLT/1COM/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE/[LoC][IH][CoH][SoA]
Mandor
ComNet Initiate

[VE-ARMY] Lance Corporal

June 1, 2004 10:13:39 AM    View the profile of Mandor 
Do you remember those nasty little things called SCUDs? Well when the ground offensive started, we had quite a few of those flying at us. Now if i remember correctly, those happen to be banned weapons. That right there makes the war for me. I dont need chemicals lying around, just those will suffice.

-----------------------
JMac
ComNet Veteran

June 1, 2004 11:15:09 AM    View the profile of JMac 
People are dying over there on both sides.  The least we can do is make sure that we know why.

I post about politics for two reasons.  First off, I like debating politics and religion, it is what I do.  Secondly, while I might not always agree with who I am debating with, it is always good to get the other side of an issue.  I've learned a lot on here that I would not have had I not debated.

I can't prove that the serin was made in Iraq, but even if it wasn't, it makes the case that much stronger that they were there.  If they managed to smugle it over when we didn't want them to, how easy would it have been to get rid of them with all of the warning that we gave?

And BTW:  That small amount was enough to kill a few thousand people if it had been dispersed correctly.

-----------------------

Viva el gato mojado!!!!

Yes, I am on extended leave, but that doesn't mean I can't bother people with the few spare seconds I have to get online.
[This message has been edited by JMac (edited June 1, 2004 11:20:40 AM)]
Rema
ComNet Member

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant

June 1, 2004 11:54:46 AM    View the profile of Rema 
Notes on the Reasons For War:

Reason 1. Originally, this war was described as a pre-emptive strike to protect the national security of the United States.

Reason 2. Iraq was attacked because it had WMD's and defied the international community's requests to disarm.

Reason 3. Saddam was a tyrant who harms his own people.

Reason 4. (the most important one) Saddam harbors terrorists.

The U.S. has only found a solution to basically the third question. The U.S. has toppled Saddam, he can no longer hurt his own people. The U.S. has however, managed not to find solutions to the other problems. First, the one wmd shell that was found was most likely unknown to contain wmds by the bomb makers. Secondly, there are arguably more terrorists in Iraq now than ever. Bush has been pig-headed in not sending more troops to cope with the already overstretched forces. This makes it easy for insurgents to get into the country. Also, because Saddam was a tyrant, he had complete control over the country. That said, terrorists didnt like him anyways because his was a secular government. Finally and most importantly, the national security of the U.S. is arguably less than after the invasion of Afghanistan. Our military presence breeds anti-U.S. sentiment, in turn breeds more cowardly terrorists. The war on terrorism cannot be won by through war alone. Terrorists are not a military enemy. They wear civilian clothing and have no qualms about killing civilians. Solutions other than war must be pursued. We as a society need to look at the causes of anti-U.S. sentiment, and do our best to fix the problems.

-----------------------
"Luke, I am your Fasha."
[This message has been edited by Rema (edited June 1, 2004 11:56:52 AM)]
Argon Viper
ComNet Expert

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-VEEC] Senior Writer

Post Number:  1789
Total Posts:  1789
June 2, 2004 10:33:17 AM    View the profile of Argon Viper 
You know, I'm still fuzzy on why the sarin nerve gas thing is such a big deal.  It would take you a grand total of ten minutes on the internet (trust me, I tried it), a maximum of two months waiting (shipping times you know...), and about $130 to create 280 grams of sarin nerve gas.  To put that in perspective, the when the Aum Shinrikyo cult in Japan attacked a Tokyo subway, they only used 1000 grams, and it killed five (I think...) and injured thousands.

Let's see, added to that, I could probably make a decent EMP device for about 20 bucks and two hours worth of work, I could probably whip up some C4, and if you were willing to pay about $1 million and wait a month or two, you could probably wind up with a rather nice Hiroshima sized nuclear weapon.

The point I'm trying to make here is that weapons of mass destruction aren't something you're going to stop from spreading.  They aren't particularly difficult to make, they just require knowing what you're doing.  Now that Pandora's box is open, we're making ourselves look like idiots trying to close it.

Anyways, in response to Mandor, I can honestly say that I disagree completely.  It's been about five minutes since I read what he wrote, and it still doesn't seem any more right.  If we let the government do things just because they don't come up and slap us in the face, sooner or later they will come slap us in the face and we won't be able to do anything about it.

Also, I'm one of those wierdos who enjoys arguing.  As JMac said, even if I disagree with everything the person said, I'm still learning something.  And if I agree, then it's a darn good thing I listened to that person 

Anyways, that's my rant for today, enjoy.

-----------------------
Argon Viper
Sergeant Major/Senior Writer, VE Today
IW COL Argon Viper{ret}
Fallen Angel and Proud of It!
"History is on the move, those who cannot keep up will watch from a distance, and those who get in our way will not watch at all" - Grand Admiral Thrawn
"Condemnation does not liberate, it oppresses" - Carl G Jung
JMac
ComNet Veteran

June 2, 2004 11:11:31 AM    View the profile of JMac 
Rema, so terrorists didn't like Iraq?  I would really like to know how you came up with that one.  There are thousands of connections between Saddam and terrorism, and before someone rants about Right_Wing propoganda, let me quote a few sources, mostly liberal, if I may.

Saddam Hussein, who has a long record of supporting terrorism, is trying to rebuild his intelligence network overseas--assets that would allow him to establish a terrorism network. U.S. sources say he is reaching out to Islamic terrorists, including some who may be linked to Osama bin Laden, the wealthy Saudi exile accused of masterminding the bombing of two U.S. embassies in Africa last summer. --Newsweek, January 11, 1999.

Intelligence sources say bin Laden's long relationship with the Iraqis began as he helped Sudan's fundamentalist government in their efforts to acquire weapons of mass destruction. . . . ABC News has learned that in December, an Iraqi intelligence chief named Faruq Hijazi, now Iraq's ambassador to Turkey, made a secret trip to Afghanistan to meet with bin Laden. Three intelligence agencies tell ABC News they cannot be certain what was discussed, but almost certainly, they say, bin Laden has been told he would be welcome in Baghdad. --ABC News, January 15, 1999.

Iraq's contacts with bin Laden go back some years, to at least 1994, when, according to one U.S. government source, Hijazi met him when bin Laden lived in Sudan. According to Cannistraro, Iraq invited bin Laden to live in Baghdad to be nearer to potential targets of terrorist attack in Saudi Arabia and Kuwait. . . . Some experts believe bin Laden might be tempted to live in Iraq because of his reported desire to obtain chemical or biological weapons. CIA Director George Tenet referred to that in recent testimony before the Senate Armed Services Committee when he said bin Laden was planning additional attacks on American targets. --NPR, January, 1999.

The Iraqi President Saddam Hussein has offered asylum to bin Laden, who openly supports Iraq against Western powers. --AP Washington Post, February, 1999.

Al Qaeda reached an understanding with the government of Iraq that al Qaeda would not work against that government and that on particular projects, specifically including weapons development, al Qaeda would work cooperatively with the Government of Iraq. --Clinton Administrations indictment of Osama Bin Laden, Spring, 1998.

Interesting how terrorism is better off with Saddam gone.  Who knows, maybe now the amount of suicide bombers will go up because he is no longer giving their families exhorbant amounts of money.

In all of the things that you mentioned, we are much better off.  Our national security is a lot better.  There aren't that many more terrorists, what we are seeing in Iraq are those that were underground coming up in the open.  We know for a fact that at least 10,000 terrorists were trained in Afganistan before we shut them down.  (Another mistake, I'm sure.)  Syria has backed down and given up, one less thing that we need to worry about.  Our national security is far worse because of that.  And the people of Iraq love us!  We got rid of a man who has killed, raped, and beaten them down for years.  We are rebuilding schools, hospitals, making their lives better.  Pretty soon, we will be giving them control back. 

WMDs are a huge problem, and will always be a problem, but the danger of being hit by them is a little less now that Saddam can't get his hands on them and won't use them.  Nuclear Proliferation cannot be stopped, the barn door is wide open on that one, but its impact can be lessened and that is what we are trying to do. 

Lastly, the only way to stop someone who ahtes enough to kill innocents and who is completely unafraid of dying is to put steel on target and grant their wish.  Terrorism cannot be stopped with force, but terrorists can, and now that the military action is ending and the rebuilding is working, they will soon have one less rock to hide under.

-----------------------

Viva el gato mojado!!!!

[This message has been edited by JMac (edited June 2, 2004 11:13:53 AM)]
Rema
ComNet Member

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant

June 2, 2004 12:11:22 AM    View the profile of Rema 
    The point I'm trying to make is that terrorism is not a conflict in a military sense. Yes, the war in Afghanistan did hurt the terrorist movement, and Iraq did not make life for terrorists easier. But these two wars did not by any means stop the terrorist movement. Literally the only military way to end terrorism is to kill all those who are terrorists and all those who could become terrorists. The wars in Afghanistan and Iraq have increased anti-U.S. sentiment throughout the world. An example: you say that the people of Iraq love us. They do not. War is never good for anyone. Would you want a war in your front yard? Even if you had relatives tortured by Saddam? What if you did not? What if your parents or relatives had been killed or hurt by collateral from a U.S. bomb? Would you care that there is a new school down the block? Would you be resentfull of the U.S? These are the questions some, not all, Iraqis have to ask themselves. The answers are the reasons why they become terrorists.
    The war on tettorism is a war of ideas. This war of ideas cannot be won with bombs and missiles and guns. You cannot just put steel on target, because you often don't know who the target is. Unless you are willing to kill millions, that strategy will not work.
    Terrorists are cowardly. They hide behind civilians, wear civilian clothes, and will kill anything they don't like. But attempting to kill them through war only makes the people caught in the crossfire more angry. Just like in Vietnam, for every terrorist you kill through battle, you may enrage several others who may then become terrorists. The U.S. approach to the war was wrong. Just as the original Iraqi war enraged bin Laden to become a terrorist, this new war, with less obvious goals, will breed a new generation of terrorists. These terrorists, much like animals, will evolve and move further underground, using more deadly means of attack to hurt the United States.

-----------------------
"Luke, I am your Fasha."
chipmunk man
ComNet Member

June 3, 2004 5:59:00 AM    View the profile of chipmunk man 
Huzzah, JMac!

I will say this, I'm noting a distinct lack of response to my, "Is it really worse now that we've ended the genocide?" question.

Keep in mind, everyone, that the media likes to make things look about a million times worse than they really are. That's how the media makes money: they get you pissed off at small things by making them look big, thus you buy a million different newspapers and watch 2 million commercials in between reports. Some people in my area thought for a while that the entire country of Iraq was in revolt against the U.S, when it turned out that it was only a single town! But they did exactly what the media wanted: bought papers and watched commercials on the news channels, thus futher lining the pockets of the media corporations. So, it may seem from what CNN or ABC says that most if not all Iraqis want to kill Americans, but if you read statements from the soldiers themeselves, we're loved.

And I can't resist this opportunity, either: John Kerry is going to be denied communion! Hah, serves the sucker right. Already, some churches have turned away parishoners wearing rainbow ribbons to support the gays.

Fixing Post Format - Kadann

-----------------------
Explorer's Post 1863
[This message has been edited by Kadann (edited June 4, 2004 9:44:50 AM)]
Kuroishi
ComNet Member

June 3, 2004 8:04:24 AM    View the profile of Kuroishi 
What I hear from my friend who had been serving over there we are not loved.  It is not as bad as the news reports but his brother is starting to think the Iraqis deserved Saddam from what he has heard.

Also we can't forget a dutch team that found canisters that had been used to store mustard gas.

And I'm glad at least one person is willing to agree with my point that with all the warning we gave Iraq that they could have easily exported all thier WMDs.

The SCUDs were banned and were supposed to be demolished by UN charter but obviously they were not.

Should we have invaded Iraq?

I think we didn't have that much of a reason.  If we use the rouge nation with WMDs we'll have little choice but to go around and start busting heads in the majority of the world's nations.  For various social, political, and military reasons the US is not very well liked by the majority of the world.  It's just that 99.9% or so aren't going to commit acts of terrorism to do something about it.

From what I know most fundamentalist militant islam terrorist groups rather dislike secular nations, but that deos not mean they won't take thier money.

If we really want to put a hurt on terrorists take public transportation, ride a bike, carpool, walk, basicly do anything you can to turn those oil fields into worthless pits of black ooze.  I know it's not always easy but every little bit of reduction in our ussage of gasoline makes it harder for terrorists to get money.

-----------------------
Kuroishi Wraith VEA
Daishi Raptor VEN
Raziel
ComNet Member

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major

June 3, 2004 8:13:31 AM    View the profile of Raziel 
(ooc: is it just me seeing the page layout go funky?)

-----------------------
Hashi Shiyun
ComNet Member

[VE-ARMY] Senior Sergeant

Post Number:  539
Total Posts:  779
June 3, 2004 8:20:47 AM    View the profile of Hashi Shiyun 
JMac.. this is for you :

Why al-Qaeda Thrives

President Bush says Iraq is the central front in the war on terror, but security experts say Iraq is the reason Bin Laden's movement is growing

By TONY KARON

Whether or not a decent outcome is eventually achieved, Iraq won't present President Bush with the triumphant centerpiece of a successful reelection campaign. Still, Americans' fear of terror remains a rich seam of political support for the president ? indeed, recent polls indicate that while more Americans believe his presumptive challenger, Senator John Kerry, would do a better job handling Iraq, Bush has a significant lead when the question is who would do a better job of fighting terrorism. Not surprisingly, then, the president's handlers have sought to make terrorism the prism through which the Bush presidency must be viewed ? even when the conversation turns to Iraq.

President Bush framed his Monday keynote address on Iraq around the idea that the country is now "the central front in the war on terror." He implied that the invasion of Iraq was a choice forced on the U.S. by the Sept. 11 attacks and that the enemy facing the U.S. there shares al-Qaeda's goal of establishing "Taliban-type"; rule. In all, he used the words "terror" or "terrorist/terrorism" 19 times. But the president's characterization will hardly have resonated with his Iraqi audience, who see al-Qaeda as a problem brought into their country by the U.S. invasion rather than by Saddam Hussein. Even the U.S. intelligence community has long maintained that Saddam's regime had no connection with the 9/11 attacks, while U.S. commanders on the ground in Iraq say that foreign terrorists constitute only a small fraction of the insurgency facing Coalition troops there.

If, indeed, there is a connection between Iraq and al-Qaeda, it may not be the kind the Bush campaign is likely to dwell on. The same day the President spoke, the prestigious International Institute for Strategic Studies released its annual survey that found, among other things, that far from dealing a blow to al-Qaeda and making the U.S. and its allies safer, the Iraq invasion has in fact substantially strengthened bin Laden's network and increased the danger of attacks in the West. And the London-based IISS is not some Bush-bashing antiwar think tank; it hosted the president's keynote address during his embattled visit to the British late last year.

The IISS reported that al-Qaeda's recruitment and fundraising efforts had been given a major boost by the U.S. invasion of Iraq. It estimated that bin Laden's network today commands some 18,000 men, of which about 1,000 are currently inside Iraq. After almost three years of President Bush's war on terror, the IISS offered the following assessment of the movement's prospects: "Although half of al-Qaeda's 30 senior leaders and perhaps 2,000 rank-and-file members have been killed or captured, a rump leadership is still intact and more than 18,000 potential terrorists are still at large, with recruitment accelerating on account of Iraq." The continuing danger of an al-Qaeda strike inside the U.S. as it moves into election season was underscored Wednesday by Attorney General John Ashcroft, who warned that intelligence tips suggest that the movement plans to attack inside the U.S. some time in the coming months. It was a non-specific warning, of course, and the color-coded terror alert level was not raised as a result. But the announcement affirmed for Americans the fact that they remain vulnerable to al-Qaeda attack, if better prepared and forewarned than three years ago.

So why is al-Qaeda continuing to grow and prosper despite the loss of its Afghan sanctuaries and so many of its personnel, and the fact that it has been relentlessly hounded by security services across Europe, the Middle East and Southeast Asia? The consensus among security analysts is that the key to eliminating al-Qaeda as a threat is to transform the permissive political environment in which it operates in the Muslim world. Instead, the opposite has occurred ? Muslim anger at the U.S. has reached an all-time high and continues to grow, driven by outrage at U.S. actions in Iraq and Afghanistan, and by Israel's actions against the Palestinians. The precipitous decline in support or sympathy for the U.S. in the Muslim world after 9/11 has meant fertile ground for al-Qaeda recruiters.

Authoritative voices from the IISS to former U.S. commander for the Mideast and Bush administration envoy to the region General Anthony Zinni to Anthony Cordesman of the Center for Strategic and International Studies have lately warned that the achievement of U.S. goals in the Middle East depends on its ability to revive and complete the Israeli-Palestinian peace process. The administration's approach has been to leave that issue on the back burner while pursuing Iraq on the assumption that ousting Saddam's regime would facilitate peace between Israel and the Palestinians ? an argument dismissed as spurious by Zinni, Cordesman and others. Instead, the Iraq occupation and the ongoing conflict in the West Bank and Gaza has burnished al-Qaeda's appeal in relation to the pro-U.S. Arab regimes it hopes to supplant, because these regimes appear powerless to affect the plight of the Palestinians and Iraqis. With seemingly no Arab leaders capable of protecting Arab interests, bin Laden paints himself and his politics of suicidal jihad as the path to redeeming Islam's lost honor.

While al-Qaeda's appeal in the Arab and Muslim world has grown in the years since 9/11, the group has not mounted a single attack in the U.S. in the same period. Bin Laden's goals are to rally Muslims to the cause of jihad, in order to drive the U.S. and its influence out of the Islamic world and restore the Islamic empire of the Middle Ages. And the antagonism provoked by U.S. actions such as invading Iraq have been more effective even than the terror of 9/11 in building support for the movement. Still, al-Qaeda continues to seek to mount mass-casualty terror attacks in the U.S. It has been hampered by the U.S.-led crackdown on its organizational structures, and by the domestic security efforts that have made operations across such great distances more difficult. Al-Qaeda will necessarily have had to put new leadership and communication protocols in place, and its decentralization and dispersion may have changed the very nature of its operations. It has continued to strike in Europe and Asia, and of course Iraq. But now the Bush administration is warning that it plans to attack in the U.S. too, in time to have an impact on the election.

The last al-Qaeda terror strike on U.S. soil rallied the overwhelming majority of Americans strongly behind President Bush. Whether and how a new terror strike on U.S. soil three years later might do the same remains to be seen. But whereas the 9/11 attack shocked and horrified much of the international community, including the Arab and Muslim world, and drew them initially closer to Washington, it's unlikely that a new attack would do much to reverse the deep polarization of the international community brought on by the war in Iraq.
JMac
ComNet Veteran

June 3, 2004 9:58:50 AM    View the profile of JMac 
Thanks for the article, it was somewhat enlightening.  I do have a few issues with it, however.

"Even the U.S. intelligence community has long maintained that Saddam's regime had no connection with the 9/11 attacks."

That is an outright lie.  There has been a connection between Saddam and terrorism, and that has been said by various intelligence sources.  I just gave quotes from several sources detailing exactly that, and that was the result of five minutes of research.

There are several other issues that I have with it.  It says that we should not have put Israel and Palistine on the back burner.  I would like to know exactly how he hopes that we can solve it.  America has been trying to fix that particular conflict since Carter, and we have been unable to do anything about it.  How is Israel supposed to make peace with the PLO, an organization whose charter gives the destruction of the nation of Israel as one of its main goals?

I have heard about the IISS report, though I haven't been able to get my hands on it yet.  There may be an increase in Al Queada's recruitment, though how you would be able to gain any sort of bearing on what that increase is or even if there is an increase is beyond me.  Still, once things settle down and we transfer soveirgnty things should start to settle down again.  We have already made peace with some of the largest groups of rebels in Iraq, and are hard at work finishing up the infrastructure that they need to govern themselves.

"The consensus among security analysts is that the key to eliminating al-Qaeda as a threat is to transform the permissive political environment in which it operates in the Muslim world. Instead, the opposite has occurred"

Excuse me, but isn't that what we are doing?  We've already taken out two oppressive, anti-us governments that harbored and supported terrorism, and are rebuilding them.  Our actions have also cowed a third, which is now starting to cooperate with us.  Yeah, terrorism cannot be beaten with purely military measures, but once they run out of rocks to hide under their power will be severely diminished.

The increase in the chance of an attack is more due to Spain then to Iraq.  They hit Spain right before an election, and the Spaniards folded, voting in a government dedicated to pulling out of Iraq.  They changed the political process of a nation with that attack.  I'd certainly be encouraged by that.  The results of the train bombing was probably as much of a morale boost for them as our running out of Somalia after a few of our troops were shot.

Almost forgot, "But whereas the 9/11 attack shocked and horrified much of the international community, including the Arab and Muslim world, and drew them initially closer to Washington".  The Arab and Muslum world was dancing in the streetsfollowing 9/11.  That part of the world has hated us for some time, and those nations merely paid lip service before going on supporting the terrorists as usual.

-----------------------

Viva el gato mojado!!!!

[This message has been edited by JMac (edited June 3, 2004 10:01:42 AM)]
Afyon
ComNet Member

Post Number:  718
Total Posts:  981
June 3, 2004 7:43:01 PM    View the profile of Afyon 
These intelligence sources also claimed Iraq had millions of litres of anthrax and stockpiles of deadly chemicals and nerve gases.  Let's do another reality check here.

1. Saddam Hussein ran a Stalinist secular regime

2. Al Qaeda is on record as wanting to overthrow the corrupt monarchs and secular regimes in the Islamic world in order to create Islamic theocracies.

3. Any logic would tell you that it wouldn't make any sense for such polarised opposites to be in league with each other.  If you examine recent evidence that has come out (ie. not administration influenced intelligence statements prior to the Iraq war and during the first year of it) it is becoming apparent that indeed there aren't connections between Saddam Hussein and terrorists.  It just doesn't make sense for there to be such a connection.

I recommend a book.  Its called Ignorant Armies and it is written by Gwyenne Dyer, an independent journalist and military historian.  He is considered a key source in these issues and has extensive knowledge to bring to the table.  I attended a speech he gave that laid out his thesis in that book and I strongly recommend it to everyone.  It is a well done and objective book and brings in a new perspective about Sept 11th.  I believe that he makes an excellent point worthy of consideration and agree with him on many fronts.  It is also intriguing as he brings in possibilities that havent really been considered to date in anything mainstream and yet his ideas almost make more sense.

-----------------------
ASL/GSG_Afyon/Dark Dragoon Squad/2PLT/1COM/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE/[LoC][IH][CoH][SoA]
JMac
ComNet Veteran

June 4, 2004 9:36:39 AM    View the profile of JMac 
Afyon, do you really want to use logic to try to figure out what a group of people that strap explosives to their bodies, detonate them when they are close to as many innocents as possible, and think that they are doing God's work.  The connection was there, it has been confirmed by several sources.  Places where terrorists can thrive are rapidly being diminished, do you really think that they would worry about who the money and safe houses were coming from when they had bigger fish to fry?

As far as the WMDs are concerned, they prolly were there, we have found traces, labs, and shells that could carry them.  Let me put it to you this way.  You have a neighbor with some coffee in a small can.  He lives on about 10 acres of land, pockmarked with holes, caves, etc, and has a lot of neighbors that love to drink cofee.  You decide that you need to get the coffee.  You give him three months notice that you are going to come in and take the coffee.  How long would it take you to find the can after you booted him out of his land?

-----------------------

Viva el gato mojado!!!!

[This message has been edited by JMac (edited June 4, 2004 9:40:48 AM)]
ComNet > Neutral Messages > Archived Main ComNet > Before you make any "political" statements...  |  New Posts    
  Pages:  [ << 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 >> ]   

All times are CST. The time now is 5:51:09 PM
Comnet Jump:

Current Online Members - 0  |  Guests - 55  |  Bots - 2

< Contact Us - The Vast Empire >