Topic:  Chapter 8 : Army
FlyingKnight
ComNet Member

[VE-ARMY] Senior Sergeant

Post Number:  614
Total Posts:  851
  RE: Chapter 8 : Army
May 17, 2004 3:09:13 PM    View the profile of FlyingKnight 
    All the regulars piled out of the ship being sick from the ride down they all secured the area on the rooftop and sat down. FlyingKnight and Rizzit walked toward the edge of the hotel roof and looked around. Knight took out his 1020/A Field Macrobinoculars and looked around the city. Rizzit stuck out his hand as Snipes came walking out of the ship after he powered it down. Knight handed the Marcrobinocular to Rizzit then took out pieces of his M82A1M .50 caliber Rifle and snapped them together.

"You and Snipes stay on the roof with a spotter each and cover the regulars and me as we try to take some command structures and capture the spaceport for this city so some more troops can land." Rizzit ordered.

Rizzit ordered the regulars to move out to take over the hotel. The two spotters walked over to Knight & Snipes pulling out a macrobinocular each. Snipes pulling out a Deathwind sniper rifle walking to the other side of the building.

"You take that corner of the building and I will cover this side." Snipes said.

Knight nodded as he popped in a clip of AP rounds. He peered through his NV/IR scope and looked for some targets. He saw a group of NR troops coming down the street toward the hotel and zoomed in on an officer. Knight fired and the officer dropped suddenly the enemy squad stopped and scattered. Snipes was pinning down a patrol of NR troops and fired occasionally as the soldiers tried to find the sniper. Knight saw that the squad of NR soldiers was trying to move forward and fired into their mists.

"We're going to exit the building is it clear." Rizzit commed to Knight.

"Yeah but I have a group of NR troops pinned down about one click west of the hotel." Knight responed.

"Ok good, cover us and check the rooftops for enemy snipers and take them out." Rizzit said as the commed switched off.

"Snipes you hear that," Knight commed.

"Yeah and I will cover the back side of the building." Snipes responded.

Knight's spotter pointed out a sniper team running out to the edge of a building across the deserted street. Knight zoomed in on the sniper and took him out then he took out the spotter. Knight smiled as the regulars and Rizzit walked out of the hotel and securing the street and surrounding buildings.

-----------------------
Lance Corporal
Frank "FlyingKnight" Carter
-Raider Squad
-
TRP/LCPL FlyingKnight/3SQD/1PLT/COMP/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE [LoR]
"Be polite. Be professional. But have a plan to kill everyone you meet."--USMC Rules of Gunfighting
Argon Viper
ComNet Expert

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-VEEC] Senior Writer

Post Number:  1789
Total Posts:  1789
May 17, 2004 7:35:57 PM    View the profile of Argon Viper 
Argon dove into his third office just in time to avoid yet another patrol of the hallways.

It wasn't that they posed any real threat to him, but if he started taking them out, soon enough there would be more than a few patrols filling the hallways of this power plant.

Still, it was just another annoyance to add to the fact that he didn't have a map of the facility.

So far, he'd come in two circles, avoided eight patrols, and searched two offices without success.

Now it seemed time to add another one to his list.

As he walked up to the desk, he saw a faint movement underneath it, and it occured to him that the lights were on, definitely odd for an unoccupied office.

Walking over to the desk, he reached underneath it and pulled a visibly terrified Bothan.

Letting out a growl under his breath, he slowly raised the Bothan up with one hand until they were face to face, leaving the Bothan's feet a good 40 centimeters above the ground.

Now the Bothan was almost to the point of not being able to breathe, but Argon supposed coming face to face with a massive tusked skull would probably do that to most species.

"Where's the main control center," he rumbled.

It took another try, but finally he got an answer out of the panicked creature.

"O-o-over...  down....  d-down the hallway a-and to the left," the Bothan squeaked.

"Thank you," he said, squeezing the trigger on his blaster pistol, firing a stun bolt into the Bothan.

Taking a few seconds to tie the creature to something immobile, he cautiously returned to the hallway.

With any luck, he would soon be lighter by the weight of the high explosives he was carrying.

-----------------------
Argon Viper
Sergeant Major/Senior Writer, VE Today
IW COL Argon Viper{ret}
Fallen Angel and Proud of It!
"History is on the move, those who cannot keep up will watch from a distance, and those who get in our way will not watch at all" - Grand Admiral Thrawn
"Condemnation does not liberate, it oppresses" - Carl G Jung
Kuroishi
ComNet Member

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant First Class

Post Number:  589
Total Posts:  948
May 17, 2004 9:32:39 PM    View the profile of Kuroishi 
The only thing allowing Kuroishi's hit and fade attacks against the fortified positions to work was the fact that the rebels seemed to have a tough time keeping track of thier stolen tanks.

The moment of indecision to figure out if the tank Kuroishi captured was legit or the bringer of thier dooms had let Kuroishi blast a fair amount of opposition with little threat to the urban warfare vehicle his team was cruising around in.

"Drat looks like we got them so spooked now they are blasting any tanks that come thier way, pull us back before we get obliterated."  Kuroishi ordered as the next fortification opened up with light anti-tank fire.

A few shots of the lighterAT weapons bounced off the armor while the heavier stuff went wide of the target as it raced behind cover.

Wraith was now effectivly deadlocked.  They could not continue thier distractions without help and sufficient help could not come to them until the spaceport was opened up.  Unless Kuroishi could come up with a brilliant plan to take on 15 to 1 odds.

Sitting there for a moment only one crazy idea hit him and it just might work.  They'd loose thier ride but with the rebels shooting at any tank that moves they wouldn't have been able to keep it for very long anyway.

"Move us out of range of thier weapons but on a beeline with that emplacement."  Kuroishi ordered.

The tank moved slowly at first to avoid rubble but once on flat ground the tank made it into position in no time.

"Allright everyone this is where we get off."  Kuroishi ordered as the other Wraiths disembarked from the tank.

Kuroishi grabbed Stonefish's uniform then set to work on fixing the steering into a straight position then fixed the throttle to delay for a minute then engage to maximum by using an ingenious system of elastic straps.

Placing a blasting block on the ammo doors Kuroishi knew this was going to be impresive even by his standards.

Pulling out the comdet trigger Kuroishi watched as the tank raced down the road nice and straight until it was shot down.

Kuroishi chuckled to himself as a squad of troopers left thier positions to investigate.

"Not as many as I hoped but it will make our job easier."  Kuroishi as he pressed the trigger.

An explosion larger then Kuroishi anticipated engulfed the entire squad and appeared to knock out the forward most guns.

"Dang, thought we used more ammo then that."  Kuroishi said mostly to himself as he marveled at the fireball.

"Now what boss?"  Mandor asked.

"You two get to cover before thier snipers pick us off.  How far would you say they are from us?"  Kuroishi said as he ran to cover.

"About 1000 yards, why?"  Mandor replied from his cover.

"Good, I don't need a spotter until about 1200, or for smaller targets."  Kuroishi replied.

Taking his sniper rifle in hand and working the bolt with the other Kuroishi used the scope to find his first victim.

The first to die would be the NR snipers, they would be the only viable threat at this range.

Kuroishi scanned where he would be if he were a sniper and was rewarded with three.  Since most snipers worked with a spotter Kuroishi was relatively certain that he had not found them all.

'No time.'  Kuroishi thought to himself as he eliminated a sniper that appeared to have found him.

With the first shot fired Kuroishi had little choice but to make short work of the ones he knew were there.  The second was looking the wrong direction as Kuroishi put the pullet into the indistinct form.

The third returned fire and hit the rubble Kuroishi was hiding behind.  For his troubles Kuroishi returned the shot with the precision only found in nearly thirty years of honing what his instructor had called the greatest natural talent the galaxy has ever known.

The fourth made his presance known by making a near miss on Kuroishi's left shoulder.

"Frak I can't spot him and if I poke my head up again he'll definately get me."  Kuroishi said.

Time to think.

-----------------------
Kuroishi Wraith VEA
Daishi Raptor VEN
Assistant Writer Why Project Copyright Infringment
Ich bin hessliche amerikaner.
Nehmen mir zu dein frauen von vernunftig preis tugendhafte.
"And the sound of many heads hitting many solid objects was heard throughout the land." me
Ramon Stonefish
ComNet Member

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major

Post Number:  382
Total Posts:  619
May 18, 2004 7:05:25 AM    View the profile of Ramon Stonefish 
Stonefish scratched under his arm. The stolen uniform was really beginning to chafe in certain places. He continued across the flat, unbroken surface of the steelcrete landing pad emblazoned with the number seven, the white paint contrasting starkly with the dark, dull grey of the composite beneath. The ageing imperial had his carbine slung across his back, barrel down, and was walking toward the main complex, trying to look like he knew what he was doing. He knew he needed to do something in here to provide a distraction for the rest of the Vast Empire forces on the ground nearby to have a chance of taking this facility.

"Halt!" said one of the door guards, "State your business."

"Communique's for the commander," replied Stonefish, waving some papers authoritatively.

"Well, hand them over, and I'll see that they get to him," the guard held out his hand, "Well?"

"Sorry, sir, I cannot do that. I am under strict orders to see that these papers pass through no other hands before reaching the commander."

"Damn," the door guard grinned wryly, "and I was hoping for an excuse to walk around a bit. Fair enough, you got your orders. In you go," the republic soldier turned and swiped an access card through the reader to the right hand side of the door. Stonefish pulled open the large steel and titanium door and entered into the starport complex proper.

As soon as the door closed, Stonefish let out a breath he had been holding. That had been a little too close for comfort. Stonefish found a nearby litter bin and dumped the 'dispatches' in the opening, allowing them to unfurl as they fell, revealing the bright colours advertising The Palace 2: Vizier's Revenge showing from next week.

The hall ahead branched off in three other directions, leading deeper into the complex, and a set of stairs lead up to a higher level. Stonefish looked at the painted stripes on the wall, and decided to follow the one marked 'Control Tower' as that, he decided, was the most likely place to find the starport commander.

The lights overhead were bright and solid, their reflection glinting from the black, polished composite floor. The walls, prefabricated sections of some form of alloy, most likely duranium, glinted dully, the guiding stripes bright against the grey metal. Stonefish kept to the right side of the corridor, leaving space for anyone passing to give him a wide margin. Fortunately, traffic seemed light in this section of the spaceport. A door on the right had a stencil blazed across it at eye level reading 'Security control'. Stonefish decided to stop and investigate, opening the door casually.

"It's about time you showed up!" said the woman sat at the desk, "Wait, hey! Where's Acton?"

"Ate some bad chowder last night, he's been stuck to the can all day," responded Stonefish, off the cuff, "The Lieutenant sent me in to take his shift."

"Oh, okay. I'll leave you to it, then. Give Acton my best when you see him."

"Will do, thanks."

The woman picked up her weapon from the desk and walked smartly out of the room, closing the door behind her, and leaving Stonefish alone with a bank of monitors. The imperial sat down at the recently vacated chair and examined the controls. They appeared to be set to automatic, rotating through the thousands of security cameras across the complex every few minutes. Underneath the desk, in a small compartment, Stonefish found a manual detailing the camera code for each room. He pulled up the control tower camera, and looked at the screen.

Stonefish blinked, rubbed his eyes and looked again.

It couldn't be! he thought.

The imperial in the republic uniform worked the controls on the desk and zoomed in carefully on the man bearing a Colonel's uniform in the control tower. He was the highest ranking officer there, and for all intents and purposes could have been Stonefish's twin brother. The man looked so close to him, it was unreal. The republic colonel had the same square chin, the same dark eyes, the same steel grey hair, even a similar height and build from what Stonefish could tell through the camera. The only difference was that Stonefish wore a short beard, while the colonel was clean-shaven.

Stonefish retired to the bathroom off the security room and drew a combat knife, dry shaving his whiskers from his face. While doing so, the imperial infiltrator planned his approach. There was a small storage cupboard he could see off the control tower ante-chamber, probably big enough to stash the bodies, no that would not work. With a little luck, there would remain only the two guards outside, and the three men, including the colonel inside the room. If he could manage the element of surprise, Stonefish could take them all before the alarm could be raised. The trick would be to take the colonel down without damaging his uniform. Stonefish carefully disabled the cameras all around the area, tapped a few extra commands into the console and walked out of the security centre, sealing and locking the door behind him. A small piece of candy gum ensured that no one would be unlocking the door in a hurry.

A few minutes later, Stonefish approached the entrance to the control tower ante-chamber.

Five, four, he silently counted, three, two, one, now!

Startled sounds came from inside the room as the lights in and around the control tower blinked off, leaving the room in a dim twilight. Stonefish swung the door open and threw two knives in at the guards. The first took a knife in the chest, groaned lightly and dropped to the floor, the other knife took the second guard in the throat. The man clawed at the knife now slick with his blood as his life gurgled away from him. After a minute or so, he stopped and lay still, the life gone from his eyes.

"What's going on down there!" growled a voice that sounded startlingly like Stonefish's.

Stonefish himself, being the only one left alive said nothing, quickly retrieving his knives and heading for the short staircase up to the main floor of the control tower. As he topped the stairs, he almost ran into a man in a captain's uniform, only his quick reflexes saved him. The captain went down, a knife protruding from just under his left eye. Stonefish quickly looked to the remaining soldiers in the room, hurling his other knife at the colonel's bodyguard. The bodyguard caught the knife with his throat, as he struggled to draw his sidearm, and fell gurgling to the floor.

The colonel himself dashed for the alarm button on the far side of the room. Stonefish vaulted across the scanning table in the middle of the room and hammered him to the floor. The colonel caught himself, and rolled backward to his feet. By the time he had righted himself, Stonefish had also climbed back to his feet, and the two men squared off. The colonel feinted with a left, and when Stonefish moved to block, swung a right hook, which the imperial had to throw himself back to avoid, as he fell, he entangled his legs with the colonel's and drew him down aswell. Stonefish moved crabwise around on the floor until he could grapple the republic colonel, wrapping an arm around his throat and trying to choke the life from him. The colonel struggled to pull the Wraith trooper's arm from around his neck, but to no avail, giving up on that approach, the colonel scrabbled on the floor, but got his legs beneath him and forced his way upwards. As he gained room, he began to thrust his elbow backwards into Stonefish's midsection, knocking the imperial backwards and shaking loose his grip. The colonel followed up with a roundhouse that spun Stonefish over, and left him laying on the scanning table. The imperial threw his legs backward, and rolled out of the way just as the colonel slammed his elbow down. Stonefish threw himself at the colonel again, knocking him to the floor, and trying for his neck once again. Only this time, the Wraith man took the colonel by his hair and slammed him against the floor a few times, dazing him, and then slowly choked the life from him. The man's face turned red, then purple, and slowly faded to blue as the struggle left him. He went limp and lifeless.

Stonefish wasted no time, changing his uniform for the colonel's, and taking a knife to the mans face so that he was unrecognisable. When he was finished, Stonefish walked over and slapped the alarm panel.

Before long, six armed republic men entered the control tower.

"Colonel Hershan, sir, are you all right?" one of them demanded.

"Yes, though I nearly wasn't," replied Stonefish, "Clear these bodies away, post new guards, and lock down the base, this man," Stonefish pointed to the dead colonel, "was sent to assassinate me! I don't want this happening again!"

Stonefish looked at the scanning table as the armed guards went about their work, and quickly picked up the base commlink. Pausing to look over the republic forces in the area, he activated the link, "Captains Julani, Kerzon, and Reishan, and Lieutenant Perkins to the control tower at once!"

The four republic officers wasted no time in getting to the control tower, and saluted smartly as they entered the room.

"Sir," said Captain Kerzon, seemingly the superior of the captains, "You asked to see us."

"Yes, take a look at the scanning table, and tell me what you see."

"By the Force!" exclaimed Captain Julani, "There's a massive imperial force less than four klicks to the east, and closing fast. There must be five divisions there! We have no hope of withstanding those odds!"

"Exactly, Captain. Which is why we are withdrawing. When you return, gather your men and get them to their transports, we are all withdrawing to the captial."

"But we were to deny the imperials this spaceport at all costs, sir!"

"Don't you worry about that, soldier, I have something planned. Just get your men out of here!"

"What about you, sir? We must get you out first!"

"No chance, I'll see this spaceport in flames before I leave. It was given into my charge, but I'll not see lives wasted. Now get out of here!"

"Yes sir!" the four men said in unison. As one they saluted, turned and left the room.

Within minutes, Stonefish could see the tents across the landing pads coming down, and platoons of men heading into the transports. Stonefish began to chuckle.

-----------------------
Ramon Stonefish

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GCS/ED d- s:+ a-- C++++ UL P+ L++@ E---- W+@ N+ !o w--- PS PE t+ 5++ X-- R++ tv+ b+++ !DI D++ G e>++ h! r-- z-
-----END GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Kuroishi
ComNet Member

May 18, 2004 8:16:05 AM    View the profile of Kuroishi 
Kuroishi kept to cover.

The fire had become more speratic and less focused.

They were pulling back.

"Either Argon or Stonefish have pulled something off that is forcing the rebels back or they are baiting us for a trap.  Either way keep your heads down until we hear from them."  Kuroishi said to Mandor and Sandwich Sam.

"Hey boss, think you can arrange a few pyrotechnic supplies?"  Came Stonefish's voice over the comm.

"Well it's a spaceport, I should be able to come up with something.  Any word from Argon?"  Kuroishi replied.

"Not yet, got to go."  Stonefish blurbed.

A few more moments and it would be time to see if the rebel troops had set a trap, though somehow that seemed less likely now.

Kuroishi was still unsure if he should contact Argon and call him off or if Stonefish was still working his miracle.  Best to at least delay him if possible.

"Kuroishi to Viper, Fish has something cooking.  May be able to take objective intact.  Advise holding on delivery of packages until further update."  Kuroishi commed.

Kuroishi began to contemplate the next target Wraith should secure.

Pulling out his datapad and tourist brochures Kuroishi began to go through the list of possible targets.

The planetary shield system was already allowing VE forces to touch down, so taking out the rest seemed to be a waste of time.

Kuroishi hadn't seen any sign of Surface To Orbit weapons yet and with the number of orbital platforms such an investment would be redundant.

So that left numerous military bases and various power stations and transportation systems.

A planetary mass freight system was in place and would prove to be an easy target.  It would at least make Argon feel better getting to watch something blow up.  Best case scenario it would wind up stranding personel and supplies in the system and make them have to take alternative methods of transit.

Kuroishi stood blatently making a target of himself.

Indeed the rebels had withdrawn from thier position or Kuroishi would have been hit by sniper fire.

"Gentlemen we move."  Kuroishi said as he lead the squad to the space port.

-----------------------
Kuroishi Wraith VEA
Daishi Raptor VEN
"And the sound of many heads hitting many solid objects was heard throughout the land." me
Argon Viper
ComNet Expert

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-VEEC] Senior Writer

May 18, 2004 8:46:51 AM    View the profile of Argon Viper 
In the middle of the hallways, Argon's comm buzzed to life.

"Kuroishi to Viper, Fish has something cooking.  May be able to take objective intact.  Advise holding on delivery of packages until further update," came Kuroishi's voice.

Snarling swear words and phrases about maintaining comm silence, he spun around to check the corridors around him, blaster pistols already in hand.

Luckily, it didn't seem as if anyone had been close enough at to hear the comm.

Pulling it out, he hit the transmit button.

"Roger, I'll try to take control and shut it down manually," he said, "next time, give me a double tap or something to warn me when you're going to comm me."

"Sorry about that," replied Kuroishi, "but this seemed a bit urgent."

Putting away his blaster pistols, Argon drew his Rykk blade and walked up to a door quite obviously marked Control Center.

Obviously the Bothan had told the truth.

Luckily, the power plant wasn't under a lockdown threat level, and the door opened at Argon's command.

Barrelling into the room, he caught the two security guards by surprise, throwing them back into the room rather violently with vicious slashmarks on them.

The farthest tech from him died as a throwing knife impacted the base of his skull, and a nearer one spun backwards as Argon caught him accross the chest with the Rykk blade.

Behind him, he heard the sound of the door closing, and he brought out his blaster pistols.

A quick sequence of shots later, and he was alone in the room.

"Argon to Kuroishi," he said, "I have captured the control room of the objective.  Looks like I've got two hours before the next shift arrives to take over."

"Roger," said Kuroishi, "are you still in position to destroy the plant if things go to hell?"

"Definitely," said Argon with a slight grin, "I can see right down the line of the main generators.  It'll take me two minutes from here, tops."

"Understood," replied Kuroishi, "hold your position until further notice."

"Yes sir," replied Argon.

-----------------------
Argon Viper
IW COL Argon Viper{ret}
"History is on the move, those who cannot keep up will watch from a distance, and those who get in our way will not watch at all" - Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ramon Stonefish
ComNet Member

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major

May 18, 2004 9:45:49 AM    View the profile of Ramon Stonefish 
Now for a bit of an illusion, thought Stonefish, as he saw the last of the republic transports take off.

He quickly moved out of the control tower, and headed to the fuel dump. Passing a large number of containers of the volatile fuels used in modern engines and reactors, he approached a container of a more appropriate substance, happily with a hose attached. Stonefish grabbed the hose and dragged it out as far as it would reach, which was long enough that it would seem to be across most of the base from a distance.

Stonefish then walked back along the length of the hose, piercing it at regular intervals with his combat knife. Along the base of the outer walls, he placed several explosive charges, shape to blast away from the walls, carefully arranging a small area which would be unaffected by any of the explosives. Stonefish returned to the fuel dump and opened the hose valve at the tank end, pressurising the hose, and allowing jets of volatile fuel to spray up from the holes.

The imperial flicked his commlink over to the republic frequency, "Captain Kerzon, are you all away?" he said.

"Yes, sir. All transports clear and away. Are you coming, sir?"

"Someone has to set these charges off, and I wasn't about to let someone else do a thing I was not ready to do myself."

"Understood, sir. It was a pleasure serving with you."

From the retreating transport, the only sight Captain Kerzon saw was a massive explosion, and the starport engulfed in a ball of flame.

"A brave man," he said to the transport pilot.

On the ground, Stonefish picked his way carefully through the small amount of rubble. Even hugging close to the wall he was more than hot, this close to the flames. When he was clear, he made his way to a locker room in the starport, and changed his republic colonel's uniform for a more non-decript coverall and commed Kuroishi.

"Okay, boss, you can bring the boys in now. The New Republic troops have all left,"  he said.

"Roger that, you want to tell me how you did that?" was the response.

"Later, boss, much later."

--

Kuroishi looked at Mandor and Sam, "Well, let's go see if they have anything good to eat there."

The three men jogged up the approach to the starport, just in time to see a wall of flame across the south side suddenly just cut out.

"I wonder what that was," said Mandor, curiously.

"I'm sure Fish has one hell of a story for this," replied Kuroishi.

"Fury to Wraith, I just saw a massive explosion along one side of the spaceport, and all the republic transports have up and left. Am I seeing things or has this actually happened?"

"No sir, Fish seems to have convinced them to leave, and was putting on a little show for them," was Kuroishi's repsonse, "You can start your landing any time now, the area is secured here."

"Not for long, there's around five divisions of republic troops coming in from the east. They're about three and a half klicks out and closing."

"We could do with some help down here. We have a wonderfully fortified starport, but only four people to man it, five if Viper gets back any time soon."

-----------------------
Ramon Stonefish

GCS/ED d- s:+ a-- C++++ UL P+ L++@ E---- W+@ N+ !o w--- PS PE t+ 5++ X-- R++ tv+ b+++ !DI D++ G e>++ h! r-- z-
D-13
ComNet Member

[VE-ARMY] Gunnery Sergeant
[VE-DJO] Dark Jedi Knight (DJK)

Post Number:  545
Total Posts:  688
May 18, 2004 3:13:11 PM    View the profile of D-13 
    Someone screamed and all the Imperial soldiers instinctively looked up to see the sniper fall from the roof. Rizzit motioned them forward into the street and pulled Dimwar aside.

The first sergeant adjusted his helmet and looked at the lieutenant. "What is it, sir?"

Rizzit pointed his gloved finger toward the alleyway leading to the west of the hotel. "The rebels are just past that alley; you think you can take them out? I'm moving the Raiders ahead towards that old warehouse over there. Excellent cover for us from any air strikes they may call." He gestured toward a large complex.

"Yes, sir." Said Dimwar stonily.

Dimwar led a small squad of thirteen Imperial troopers down the alleyway, picking up old trashcans as they go and then dropped them right in front of where the rebels were taking cover. The loud clanging alerted the troopers and they opened fire first, but Snipes shot one in the head as they lunged out of their cover. The army troopers dropped down behind their rubbish bins and opened fire, mowing down the vanguard rebels and scattering the rest. Men fell on both sides, but more for the rebels.

"This place is bigger than I thought," said JR as he passed through the abandoned security checkpoint and stared at the sheer space the warehouse had. He picked through some junk on the floor and pocketed a shotgun round.

"It'll lead us right to the spaceport, or at least somewhat close to it," said Rizzit. "I'm sure of it." He passed by a dusty durasteel pillar, one of hundreds that supported the roof that was their air protection.

"Someone's talking!" Rasped Substance as he dropped to a knee and scanned the area with his blaster held forward.

"What was that?" Asked a voice.

"Huh? I didn't hear anything. It's probably some rats or something. This place has been abandoned for fifteen years." Another man scoffed.

"No, I swear I heard something. Think it might be the boss man? We're dead if it is." Someone shuffled their feet while the Raiders aimed their rifles at the general direction of the conversation.

At this signal, the stormtroopers jumped on the unsuspecting rebel deserters. One fell to the floor dead while attempting to draw his handgun. The other two threw their hands up in surrender.

Dimwar holstered his blaster while reaching for his comlink. "Rizzit, the rebel squad has been dealt with." The first sergeant hesitated. "We lost eight men." He added, hoping for some sympathy.
The Imperial survivors searched the dead for weapons and ammunition and then headed back to the hotel roof, where Snipes and Knight sweeped the streets for potential targets.

Now, what to do...

"JR, search them for any weapons, and give me their ranks!" Rizzit ordered. He sent Substance to patrol the perimeter for others and then his comlink crackled.

"Rizzit, the rebel squad has been dealt with." A pause. "We lost eight men," said Dimwar through the comlink.

"We're moving out. Relay that to Snipes and Knight too." He turned towards the prisoners and Raiders. "Let's go. You two will lead the way."

-----------------------

FTC/SSG D-13/3SQD/1PLT/1COM/1BAT/1REG/VEA/VE[BoA] [ES1][BC]
TRN/AC D-13/Training 1-2/VEDJ/VE
I love this symbol>
Snowtroopers forever!!!!!
"Being unconquerable lies with yourself; being conquerable lies with the enemy." -Sun Tzu
Kuroishi
ComNet Member

May 19, 2004 9:09:08 AM    View the profile of Kuroishi 
As Kuroishi feared the Wraiths were now bogged down in urban fighting.

The bright spot of the day was the arrival of fresh VE troops now that the planetary shields were open enough to allow a few transports through.

Kuroishi began to formulate his plan on how to deal with the five NR divisions bearing down on thier position.

"We got two choices, devide and conquer or the gauntlet.  The latter we are not well set up for but could provide better results with the forces we have on hand.  The first option is a little riskier but if we can spread thier forces out we might have a chance.  The planetary shields are still operational enough to limit large organized drops but Fury has promised us reinforcements.  So far we have gotten a company in the starport itself and a battallion is coming in from the south.  To facilitate either plan we're going to have to demolish these buildings indicated on the map with red markers, the ones with green markers are for gauntlet demolision.  Blue markers will be the killing field positions.  If we can buy enough time for the regulars we will set up the gauntlet.  The regulars will be doing the bulk of the demolision and barricade construction.  Our jobs will be to take these perimeter buildings and buy the regulars time.  This is a developed urban area around the space port, take advantage of that fact gentlemen, it means they are not going to be able to send in all thier forces at once.  If we can get this gauntlet constructed and shut the door behind the rebels, we can take them with the reinforced battalion on station.  Don't bother making plans that count on further reinforcements."  Kuroishi briefed the combined regulars and Wraiths.

Grabbing three replacement blasting blocks and fresh blaster cartridges, Kuroishi knew this was going to be a race against the clock.

Kuroishi indicated a civilian hover van and began to walk toward it.

"Our ride gentlemen."  Kuroishi said as he pulled a can of spray paint out of his pack and painted 'TRAP!' on the sides of the van.

Hotwiring the controls took but a moment then Wraith was on thier way.

"Gentlemen let's get to work.  After this we get to cause a trainwreck, if we survive.  Mandor, Sam take watch, let us know when the rebels are getting too close for comfort.  Fish, with me."  Kuroishi broke the silence as they reached the edge of the city.

Kuroishi began work on the first objective while Stonefish split off to start wiring the second for demolition.

Double clicking his comm to get Argon's attention Kuroishi coninued to wirk with his free hand.

"What is it boss?"  Argons voice came over the comm.

"Get that place rigged if you haven't already and set a failsafe of two hours, but make sure if we do pull this off that you can deactivate the countdown.  Once all that is complete come on out to the perimeter and join us in our demo work."  Kuroishi replied.

"Be there in a few then."  Argon cheerfully replied.

There were few things creepier then a cheerfull whiphid.

Kuroishi only needed one blasting block for the building he was working on since it had a nice big fuel depot right next door for refueling civilian freight vehicles.  Kuroishi had chosen as many targets with such conditions as possible for Wraith to target to extend thier ordinance.

"One down, too many to go."  Kuroishi muttered to himself.

-----------------------
Kuroishi Wraith VEA
Daishi Raptor VEN
Afyon
ComNet Member

Post Number:  718
Total Posts:  981
May 19, 2004 7:25:29 PM    View the profile of Afyon 
Afyon and Captain Warren, the commander of the company who was assigned to take out the generator walked through the ranks as they discussed battle plans.  It was finally decided that they would try a light three proned attack in order to have a better chance against the greater forces.  Afyon quickly made his way back to his squad to brief them.

"Alright, here is the plan.  The terrain is a never ending series of rocks, trees, and cliffs making it far from ideal for a frontal vehicle assualt.  Therefore, we are leaving the vehicles back and moving up on foot.  Platoon A and Captain Warran will head to that hill."  Afyon pointed to a hill about three kilometers away.  "From there they will set up the speeders and tanks in position to defend.  Platoon B will proceed up the left road, C up the right, and D up the middle."

"Where do we fit into this plan?"  Rema asked.

"Captain Warren has assigned us speeder bikes.  Our role will be to move up ahead of D company and comb through the forest.  We will be scouting a large range of terrain in front of us so we will split up.  Tk and Kami, Rema, and Zek and I.  The primary mission is as follows, find troop deployments and ambush points, ambush and destroy rebel patrols, destroy bunkers and other hidden fortresses, weaken strong points, and destroy any equipment you can find.  Report any heavily armed places to command and they will relay it to the other platoons.  If either of the three platoons are attacked, they will fall back to the fill where the tanks and speeders will provide back up fire."

"What happens when we reach the generator?"  Zek asked skeptically.

"Once the forces have been cleared out below, D company will make the initial assualt on the generator.  With any luck, they will draw out the defences on the other two roads leaving the path clear for B and C to move up and attack on either side allowing us to have a multi front attack.  If we achieve sustained pressure, Captain Warran and platoon A will move up with their vehicles and help punch a hole through the middle.  Our role will simply be to destroy anything we can during the fight.  Good luck.  stash your gear on the speeders and lets move out, we will begin the mission once the platoons are in place."  Afyon concluded.

-----------------------
+ Advance Recon Commandos {ARC} +
ASL/GSG_Afyon/Dark Dragoon Squad/2PLT/1COM/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE/[LoC][IH][CoH][SoA]
Argon Viper
ComNet Expert

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-VEEC] Senior Writer

May 19, 2004 8:25:53 PM    View the profile of Argon Viper 
Argon was placing the explosives when one of the comms on the dead republic soldiers beeped.

Curious, he picked it up and answered.

"Power Station three-one," came a voice, "we need you to preform sequence five-alpha-eight to provide power to the southern defenses.  The spaceport is already lost, there's no point in powering it any longer.  We'll be sending troops to help defend you in a few minutes."

"Understood," replied Argon.

As soon as the comm switched off, he pulled out his own comm and hit the transmit button.

"Kuroishi," he said, "tell Fury he's got a short window to put troops down in the middle of their southern defenses.  They want this station to power them, but I'm sure they'll switch to another station if this one stays down for a bit."

"Sounds good," said Kuroishi, "how's your situation?"

"Well," he said, "most of the people at the base don't realize I'm here, so I should be safe for a while.  However, the Rebels are sending reinforcements, and they'll want to talk to the commander, who I conveniently killed.  I'll have to get out soon, because this is going to be in Rebel hands in a few minutes."

"Got it," said Kuroishi, "is the thing rigged to explode?"

"Yup," said Argon, "as soon as I hit the switch, I've got ten seconds till any heat source in the control room or the generator room blows the whole thing."

"Good," said Kuroishi, "hit it and get down here, we need some help with demolitions."

"On it," replied Argon, hitting the switch and running out the door.

-----------------------
Argon Viper
IW COL Argon Viper{ret}
kaMi
ComNet Cadet

[VE-ARMY] Corporal

Post Number:  296
Total Posts:  1884
May 20, 2004 7:48:15 AM    View the profile of kaMi 
Kami grinned, and revved the engine of her speeder loudly,
"I was always the rev head." She informed TK, who responded by rolling his eyes heavenward.
"God help me." He whined aloud, securing the last of his gear on the back of his bike before swinging gracefully into the saddle. "Alright, you ready?"
Kami nodded, and then double checked her fuel gauge, "Ready when you are Sarge."
TK glanced over his shoulder at Afyon, Rema and Zek, who were still prepping to leave, and at Afyon's nod, motioned for Kami to take the lead and move out.
Kami gently pulled back on the throttle, feeling the speeder shudder under her in response before it gradually began to pick up speed.

"Stay on course, keep up your speed, and report anything that looks even remotely Rebel," Afyon's voice told Kami through her helmet comlink as she and TK increased the distance between themselves and the rest of their squad. "Roger." Kami replied, already watching the landscape carefully as it began to whip more quickly past her.
A thump rattled the grips under Kami's hands as a stray rock hit the undercarriage of the speeder, causing Kami to swear. Readjusting her course to a less rocky path Kami forced herself once again to focus. These rocks can kill you just as easily as a rebel ambush can if you don't stop daydreaming and start paying attention... she reprimanded herself, weaving her way up the middle path Afyon had designated for the Dragoons.

As her speed dial clicked up to 114km/h, Kami and TK zoomed past the hill where the repulsor squad would set up shortly, then continued past into a wider, valley like, area of land. Although this new geography provided less of a chance of a head on collision with the rock-strewn terrain, the Moorja vegetation shadowed the path more closely on either side, effectively blocking any chance Kami and TK had at seeing an ambush before it happened.
"I don't like this..." Kami told TK, her voice betraying some of her nervousness.
"Neither do I," TK replied, his voice cracking loudly over the comm., "But keep moving. They're less likely to hit you if you're moving at a high speed."
Suppressing the urge to remind her sergeant that they were also more likely to be blown into shreds if they were hit at a high speed, Kami instead rolled her speeder bike around a tree that loomed up in front of her, and then returned her gaze back to the horizon.

"You see that?" She asked her sergeant, as a series of steep sided hills came into sight as a distant blur on the horizon, "Looks like the path braches off to either side of that gully."
She heard TK rev his speeder up next to her for a better look.
"Looks like a perfect place for an ambush if you ask me."TK replied, his eyes likewise running over the open gully that sat like an open invitation before the chain of hills.
"In order to even attempt weaving up those paths you have to move through that gully." Kami realized, feeling her grimace return, "Which means if we want to keep going we're going to have to fly straight through."

She heard TK hesitate over the comm, "We're only about 6k's out from backup... if we're jumped,we should be able to get help relatively quickly."
Kami sounded her agreement, "Sounds like a plan. After you?"
TK looked over at her from his bike and gestured with his head, "Ladies first."

-----------------------
-=silly caucasian girl likes to play with samurai swords=-
-=pretty...what do we blow up first?=-
TRP/PFC kaMi/2SQD/1PLT/1COM/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE [LoR]
[This message has been edited by Kami (edited May 21, 2004 6:12:51 AM)]
Fallen Angel
ComNet Member

[VE-ARMY] Gunnery Sergeant
[VE-DJO] Sith Adept (AD)

Post Number:  874
Total Posts:  3342
May 21, 2004 11:53:30 AM    View the profile of Fallen Angel 
Eight men lost Dimwar sullenly reflected. Looking at the remaining five troopers in his squad, he sighed heavily. Eight men. I knew them all He mentally ran over the names and ranks of the eight men. Eight men with families, friends, loved ones

This seemingly endless Civil War had taken many things from the First Sergeant. He lost his wife in a rebel attack on a platform above Sluis Van. His son, a Remnant pilot was shot down and killed during the taking of Coruscant.

"Are you okay sir?" One of his privates asked.

"War is a terrible thing. First it takes everything from your, then it becomes the only thing you know. Without war, people like me are useless. Soldiers cast aside in the name of peace. I hate war. I hate fighting. But I do it because I love it...its the only thing I know how to do...."

The Private stared back at his commander, dumb struck as to what to say next. "Sir...I...uh..."

"It's ok private. Don't give any precedence to an aging warrior with his end in sight, lets regroup with the others before reinforcements come."

Signaling the remaining members to move out, Dimwar lead them to the warehouse Rizzit had taken cover in.

"One is a captain, and the other appears to be a civilian contractor." JR reported to Rizzit. "One of them was carrying this."

Rizzit, attempting to secure the exit to the building, stopped and looked at the object laying in JR's hand. A small cylinder, it had a small red button on the top, and an antenna on the bottom.

"Snipes, how close are we to the spaceport?" Rizzit asked through the comm.

Static bursts came back, followed by Snipes strong voice, "Less than a klick, Knight and I are moving up, We'll cover your exit."

"Hold up one second. Does the roof of this place have a good view of the spaceport?"

"Roger that," the sergeant replied, "clear view."

Shutting off the comm, Rizzit's eyes widened. "JR get a link to the Wraiths, that spaceport is wired to blow!"

-----------------------
Senior Sergeant Jikkyo "Fallen Angel" Nimiichi 
Assistant Squad Leader (ASL) - Raider Squad
-
AS-3/ASL/SSGT Fallen Angel/3SQD/1PLT/1COMP/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE/Tadath [LoR] [RoM] [BC] [BoA]

Dark Jedi Acolyte Phoenix

TRN/AC Phoenix/Training 1-3/VEDJ/VE/Lopen
"You need guys like me." - Tony Montana
Ramon Stonefish
ComNet Member

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major

May 21, 2004 2:27:37 PM    View the profile of Ramon Stonefish 
"He's right, boss," Stonefish said into his commlink, "The structural support pillars all have charges on them, though I'm damned if I know how they got them in here."

"Can you defuse them?" replied the Wraith squad leader.

"Yeah, but it'll leave you alone to finish the killzone demolitions."

"Yeah, but I'd rather have these not quite finished and keep the spaceport standing. Besides, Argon'll be here in a few to give me a hand. Get working. I want that spaceport intact."

Stonefish turned back to the explosive charge he was examining. It looked like a standard remote-detonated blasting pack. Nothing fancy, no loopback circuits or anything nasty. Stonefish looked at the cover or the small, brown-grey device, a digital display showed that it was active, a push-button to the right of the display was fully inserted, the deactivate button had been removed. Stonefish swore when he noticed this.

The Wraith demolitions man pulled his toolkit from his belt and took out a screwdriver to remove the casing of the control circuitry. Once inside, he examined the control mechanism. Three wires looped through the controls, red, black, and yellow. The red seemed to go through the display and to a detonator, the black was linked between the detonator and what looked like a remote receiver, and the yellow was attached to a small microchip, and linked through to the receiver. Stonefish looked closely at each component, and decided that the microchip was part of the receiver circuit, and if removed would disable the remote detonation part of the bomb. The veteran soldier took a tool from his kit and used it to remove the chip from its seat. The digital display changed from a blinking red light to a series of digits, which began counting down toward zero. Stonefish swore again, and started sweating.

He retrieved his screwdriver and removed this first layer of circuitry. Beneath was a further board which contained the timing circuit. Stonefish examined the wiring, and could not decide between the green and the blue wire. Stonefish made a decision, and cut the blue wire. The timer accelerated toward zero. Stonefish quickly stripped the end of the wire and stuck it to the casing with a piece of gum. The timer slowed again, and the relieved bomb defusion technician cut the green wire. The timer stopped, blinked and went blank.

"Okay, I've got one," Stonefish said to Kuroishi, "Could you see if you can get Rizzit to ask his prisoner how many more bombs there are? I'm heading for the next one I saw."

-----------------------
Ramon Stonefish

Afyon
ComNet Member

Post Number:  718
Total Posts:  981
May 21, 2004 7:35:27 PM    View the profile of Afyon 
Afyon climbed onto his bike slowly, it was difficult getting on the high bike without using his left arm.  Once he was on, he looked over at Zek and turned on his comlink.  "Alright Zek, stay tight with me.  Full throttle when you can and in the darker parts of the forest use the night vision feature of your helmet.  Remember, our goal right now is to find rebel strongholds, ambush points, and patrols.  We will destroy them once we have a better idea of the situation so be careful and avoid being trigger happy."  Afyon ordered.  He began to give another order when Rema blew by the two on his way to his patrol area.  Once the bike had passed, Afyon wished Zek luck and started up the bike.

The two quickly made their way up one of the rocky hills and into the thick vegetation.  Afyon made a hand signal to Zek for him to go higher and the two lifted up a few meters in order to get a better view through the vegetation.  Afyon made another signal for the two to split up and Zek veered away towards a darker part of the forest.  In order to avoid radio detection, Afyon and given Zek a quick run down on hand signals.  He wanted to avoid slip ups at all costs, especially since they were going to be fighting a large force in a superior defensive position.

Afyon switched from the squad frequency to the main one for a moment in order to tune in to the communication between the platoons.  All seemed to be in order and Afyon was about to change frequencies when he heard gunfire over the comm.  Afyon flipped back to the squad frequency in time to hear Kami shouting something about platoon B under attack in an area near them.  Afyon broke his communications silence and ordered Zek to form up with him.  He also ordered Rema to continue his patrol near the other platoon in case there was a planned ambush on the other group.  Once Zek joined up with Afyon, they sped off towards Kami's position.

-----------------------
ASL/GSG_Afyon/Dark Dragoon Squad/2PLT/1COM/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE/[LoC][IH][CoH][SoA]
kaMi
ComNet Cadet

[VE-ARMY] Corporal

May 21, 2004 11:33:06 PM    View the profile of kaMi 
(Set shortly before Afyon's post)

Kami and TK sped into the gully and broke up, Kami heading to the left, TK to the right.
Feeling as though an invisible target was painted on her back for all to see, Kami tried to convince herself that the hidden Rebels, if there were any, wouldn't risk attacking Imperial scouts and giving away their position.

Still...she couldn't shake that feeling that dozens of eyes were watching her... as she finished her lap and formed up with TK. At his hand signal, the duo spun their speeder bikes about and made their way towards the left fork of the path that weaved its way up the hill. Her hands tightening on her grips, Kami kept her eyes firmly focused on the terrain ahead of her, willing the Rebels to stay hidden while the two Dragoons headed deeper and deeper into their territory.

The pair reached the rise of the hill and came zooming over the top...only to come face to face with a large, concrete bunker... and a dozen or so stunned looking Rebels...

Kami had a spilt second to react as the two Dragoons ploughed headlong into the outpost guards, who seemed to be reacting to the Imperials presence at a ridiculously slow rate. Her thoughts a blur, Kami did the first thing that came to the top of her mind and slammed on her speeder's brakes, throwing her weight to the side to send her bike into an uncontrollable spin.

Her spinning tornado of a bike smacked into the closest three or four of the Rebel guards, crushing them underneath the four hundred pound hunk of metal. Forcing down nausea, Kami snapped her pistol from its holder, and as she fought to regain control of her bike, let off shots in every direction to discourage any Rebels trying to shoot her.
Extremely disorientated, Kami managed to straighten her bike, only to realize that she had spun past the bunker and was now heading towards a particularly large and solid looking clump of trees.
Swearing at the top of her lungs in a very un-ladylike way, Kami wrenched her controls once again, and sent herself into another spin back towards where TK was flying back and forth, mowing down the rest of the Rebels with his speeder's guns.

The last two Rebels turned and sprinted away from TK, only to find themselves in the path of the still spinning Kami, who was heading at 100km/h in their direction. One Rebel let out a scream, while the other stood pale-faced as Kami mowed them down, ending their lives with a sickening crunch.

Kami struggled with her bike for a few more seconds, then let out a huge sigh of relief as she managed to bring it to a halt.

TK settled down next to her and glanced at her bike, which was now looking decidedly worse for wear, having had its frame severely dented. TK seemed about to say something, but broke out laughing as the reality of the situation set in.
"You're one crazy ass Private you know?"

Kami's slightly giddy response was interrupted as the sound of blaster fire broke out to their left.
The two spun about, weapons in hand only to realize that the sounds were drifting in from a distance
"Platoon B." TK announced, turning his bike, "Seems like theres no rest for us today. Let's go help them out."

Kami revved her now protesting engine, and followed her sergeant into the forest to their left, accelerating towards the sounds of the fight. The duo slammed past thousands upon thousands of trees, following the screams as branches and vines whipped angrily across and against their armor. A loud thump, followed by a bright flash of light amongst the tress ahead of them announced the two Dragoons arrival at the war zone.

As they broke free of the entanglement of the forest, Kami felt her heart beat increase a dozen fold...

Platoon B was spread out across a barely usable path, facing a whole squad of heavily armed, and heavily manned Rebel hover tanks...

Her heart now sitting somewhere in her throat, Kami managed to yell into her comlink before she entered the fray, "Platoon B is under attack! I repeat, Platoon B is..."

-----------------------
[This message has been edited by Kami (edited May 22, 2004 12:48:16 AM)]
Argon Viper
ComNet Expert

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-VEEC] Senior Writer

May 22, 2004 9:35:39 AM    View the profile of Argon Viper 
Argon moved on to his third building.

Kuroishi wanted this whole area detonated by the time the Rebels arrived, but Argon wasn't sure they even had enough explosives for that, let alone time.

The route back had been pretty easy once he left the power plant, luckily they seemed to be focusing on protecting that one spot until their new troops arrived.

The demolitions for each building didn't take too long either; Argon and Kuroishi had dealt with explosives long enough to know where and how each one should be placed to bring down each one with the minimum amount.

There, another explosive placed, with that, Argon quickly left the building.

As he entered the next one, he hit the remote detonator, and had the pleasure of watching the last building crumble in on itself as the explosives destroyed key parts of the interior structure.

Three down and only a hundred more to go...

-----------------------
Argon Viper
IW COL Argon Viper{ret}
Kuroishi
ComNet Member

May 22, 2004 6:55:34 PM    View the profile of Kuroishi 
Kuroishi took a moment to look at the display of buildings demolished and the current position of the rebel divisions.

At thier current rate of movement the five divisions would be within firing range in about an hour and a half.  At the current rate of demolitions there would be too many buildings to take down in that time.

Not enough time or supplies.

Then an idea hit him.

"Mandor, Sam take that hover van and grab those blasting blocks that Stonefish is working on."  Kuroishi said as he placed his last blasting block.

"Yes sir."  Mandor replied as the duo raced to the van then off.

"Fish, would those blasting blocks happen to have any failsafe that will make them blow if moved?"  Kuroishi commed.

"Son of a ...  No sir, they do not."  Stonefish replied.

"I've just send Mandor and Sam to your position, load the van then everyone out here.  We've got to buy time for the killing fields to be finished."  Kuroishi said as he watched another building crumble.

Kuroishi without more blasting blocks improvised with volitile chemicals and fuel cells from civilian vehicles to take down more buildings.

But first he moved the vehicles into road block positions and had to figure a way to remotely detonate the improvised demolition charges.

Spotting a flammable chemical pumping truck Kuroishi had an idea.

Drawing his vibro blade and activating it then reeling out the hose and activating the pumps Kuroishi held his vibro katana in front of the hose and sprayed buildings rigged to blow with improvised explosives.

"You know this might be handy against that pesky rebel infantry."  Kuroishi said to himself as he closed the valve.

-----------------------
Kuroishi Wraith VEA
Daishi Raptor VEN
Argon Viper
ComNet Expert

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-VEEC] Senior Writer

May 23, 2004 6:47:32 PM    View the profile of Argon Viper 
Argon stopped dead as he heard a slight skidding sound.

Spinning rapidly, he dropped to the ground and drew his blaster pistol.

Out of the corner of his eye, he saw the source of the noise, a man dressed in urban camoflauge, dropping to one knee and bringing his own blaster to bear.

Argon's shot caught the man in the temple, sending him sprawling to the pavement.

Getting up, he brought out his IR detector and swept the area.

Luckily, he and the dead man were the only ones there.

Going up to him, Argon saw one thing embroidered quite plainly on the uniform sleeve.

"Kuroishi," he said into the comm, "contact has been made with Republic forward scouts."

"What kind of contact?" came the reply.

"Violent," Argon said, "he's down, and I don't think anyone heard me.  It looks like we're hitting the wire though."

"Got it," replied Kuroishi, "forget the demolitions, see what kind of traps and random distractions you can rig up before they get here."

"Yes sir," said Argon, already moving toward the last manhole he'd seen.

-----------------------
Argon Viper
IW COL Argon Viper{ret}
Kuroishi
ComNet Member

May 24, 2004 8:26:23 AM    View the profile of Kuroishi 
Kuroishi checked his display again.

The demolitions in the regulars zone of resonsibility were going much faster since the battallion of regulars had reinforced the company that was already here.  At this rate they would be in position and ready for the rebel forces within the hour.

The Wraiths far fewer in number of trained demolitions experts had still managed to create quite the funnel, now it was time to get the rebels to go down the funnel.

The appearance of the advanced scouts had Kuroishi formulate a new plan, a 'better' plan.

"I'll take overwatch.  Everyone else make your way to the hotel Edmont on my six, I'll see you all inside in five."  Kuroishi said as he found another scout at extreme range and fired a shot into the scout.

Kuroishi had one shot left before his magazine was empty and he was rewarded with another scout following the other contour of the funnel.

Reloading and relocating to where he could see the hover van appropriated by Wraith approach the hotel.

Kuroishi did a quick sweep to make sure no more scouts were in the area then entered the hotel himself.

Finding a table large enough to roll out a map of the local area Kuroishi looked at his squad.  The battle fatigue of the constant fighting was starting to show on some of the younger members of the squad but Kuroishi knew the veterans were just better at hiding it.

"Gentlemen.  With the arrival of the forward scouts I've decided on a slightly different approach that should hopefully buy the regulars either an easier victory or more time.  Reports indicate that the regulars will be finished with thier demolitions and in position within twenty minutes.  The presance of forward scouts indicate that the rebel's main assault forces are between fifteen minutes to twenty five minutes away.  There will undoubtably be combined armor and infantry in the force which means we wouldn't stand a chance against them.  So my idea is to hide in the rubble, let the forward scouts get past us then move out along this gulley here and unless I miss my guess, that will put us in the blind spot of the command staff of the five divisions.  From this position we will be able to disrupt thier command and control to the point that thier offensive will start to grow timid, or so aggresive that they will charge into the ambushes the regulars have waiting for them that the battle will be ours either way.  Once the first shot is fired we won't be able to hold position for long before the forces protecting the command staff respond and cut off our retreat paths.  Choose your targets carefully and quickly.  A lot of the priority targets will be inside command vehicles.  We'll try and get explosives placed on those before the sniper warfare starts.  Fortunately the rebels have provided us a nice bunch of explosives.  Let's move."  Kuroishi briefed as he indicated positions on the map.

Checking the street for scouts Kuroishi found a pile of rubble with as many warm spots as possible to hide his squad in.

Setteling in for what could well be a longer wait then what he had hoped for Kuroishi kept as still as  he could.

-----------------------
Kuroishi Wraith VEA
Daishi Raptor VEN
Raziel
ComNet Member

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-DJO] Dark Jedi Knight (DJK)

Post Number:  864
Total Posts:  2873
May 24, 2004 1:57:13 PM    View the profile of Raziel 
[OOC: time to jump on the NPC bandwagon, just read about the defel in dark forces rising]

There was the faintest of creeks as the wooden door opening, barely a murmur of hushed voices carried on into the abandoned house.
    Rhorh groggily opened one eye and looked about, he had removed all the lighting in the apartment and was perfectly safe just as long as he kept still. His eye flicked to the side to observe a pair of republic commando coming up the stairs. Each was garbed from head to tow in the bland grey hues of urban camouflage. Rhorh watched the pair walk straight past him and head for the open window, neither seeming to notice his proscenia. For Rhorh was a Defel Wraith and appeared as nothing but shadow to a humans limited optical senses.

The smaller of the two held a device to his eye and started reeling off numbers to the other. The larger took off his helmet and dropped his kit to one side of the window, he un slung a wicked looking long rifle and proceeded to set it up at the base of the window. A sniper pair it was then, this area of the capital city was crawling with veteran republic commandos. From the snippets of conversation Rhorh had overheard on his way in, the civilians in this sector of the capital had been evacuated when the first Golan had dropped and a large proportion of the republic forces had immediately moved in and turned it into a veritable fortress.

The floor rumbled once again, the whole apartment shaking. "There goes another one," said the young spotter. From the sound of it when the politicians had given up on the republic, the disgruntled forces here had started demolishing the surrounding sectors, trying to make a kill zone. The Wraith spy had yet to find out why they were barricading this particular sector, the sun was going down now and in anything less than perfect light he could move again. As soon as he had completed his recon he would report in to Fury and move onto the next area.

"Team seventeen are you in position?" buzzed a nearby comm unit.

"All set up," answer the taller, older commando.

"Good, scout troopers have been tearing up the last of the militia and there's a fair force of regulars moving this way."

"Understood lieutenant. Are we set? ETA?"

"We're all set. We are expecting company in around twenty. Out."

"Stormtroopers? I thought the Empire was low on them these days?" the younger solider asked, a slight tremble of fear underlining his voice.

"Well some of the imperial factions still have a good number of them. They don't waste them, but this is a fairly major operation. Don't sweat it," he said hefting his rifle. "I eat Stormtroopers for breakfast."
    From what Rhorh had seen most of the military here were carrying armour piercing rifles and had a fair number of grenades. They were obviously prepared for the white faced menace of the Empire's elite.
    "I didn't fight on a hundred worlds against this lot for my freedom just to get taken out by an overconfident Stormtrooper today!" the sniper continued.

The Wraith watched the two closely for a moment, letting his senses fully recover from slumber. He only had a Defel pistol on him, and he didn't like his chances against any soldiers, let alone a veteran commando. He briefly reflected on how he had ended up in this mess, he had no idea how that smooth talking assassin had managed to con him into signing up for the imperials. He was used to watching criminals and thieves, not fully armed, trained and alert soldiers. Here he was today though, in the middle of enemy territory, reporting to General Fury himself.
    Apparently his details had been forwarded onto imperial intelligence, but he didn't like the idea. They'd never got their hands on a Defel before, and the image of imperial scientists pulling him apart to see how he worked kept on playing through his mind.

"Some heavy fighting going on at the high rise sector,"
    "That'll be the Moorja guards tussling with the stormtroopers then,"
    "Can't we move up and help?" the younger soldier asked.
    "The imperials would love that, and anyways, whatever they have going on in zeta six they don't want the imps getting their hands on it."

The shadow behind them that was Rhorh raised it's eyebrows. He put a three-clawed hand to the black pistol hidden in his fur. That and the secure comm unit were all he carried, anything larger would give him away. He drew the long, black, shimmering pistol and levelled it at the older commandos head. The wicked looking Defel pistol was barely more visible than himself. He weighed up his options for a moment. As far as military training went he didn't fancy his chances against just two of the commandos. He could quite easily miss, or his pistol could jam. He wasn't one for taking chances.
    He noticed a bunch of thermal detonators hanging from the spotters backpack and considered that option. Then again the resulting mess would probably attract a fair amount of attention. Attention that Rhorh was hoping to avoid.

He slipped his pistol back out of sight and edged towards the stairs. Cowardice it was to be. Suddenly, the sniper whirled around, pistol in hand. He scanned the room, looking for the target he was sure he had heard. His instincts had been screaming at him since just after they had arrived and he could have sworn he'd heard something just then.

Rhorh edged down the stairs, surprised at just how quick the soldier had been. He really wasn't cut out for this, he was sure that the commando would hear his heart beating. He had never had to look down the barrel of a pistol from this direction before.

"Humph," the veteran holstered his pistol and then looked back out of the window. The purple dusk sky highlighted by streaks of orange as the rebel forces out in the city clashed with regulars under Timm's command.

The Wraith slipped out into the city, his shadowy outline going unnoticed. Whenever his large ears heard another task force jogging towards him he simply stayed motionless where he was, at the side of the road. Whatever this zeta six was, he figured, it would be deeper into this sector. He paused at an intersection between several roads and observed the patter of troop movement. After a few hours he came to the conclusion that at least a few groups were moving in concentric circles, whilst the other troops were moving up to bolster the defensive front.

He shadowed an intelligence officer who was headed in the direction of the republic centre. At least that's he recalled the uniform to be from his brief training. At the centre of an open square stood an imposing, stone building. It was obviously quite old and highly decorated, possibly the town centre of the district. Surprisingly the intelligence agent ignored the well defended centre and headed for a small nondescript building off to one side.

The Defel's light absorbing fur ruffled in the wind and he headed around the side of the open square and headed for the entrance to the structure straight ahead. In the gloomy evening he had no trouble slipping past the guards and taking a look around inside. The place had obviously been hastily changed into a makeshift control centre. It wasn't a bustling high command post, but instead seemed to be the current base of operations for the outlying regions.

Noticing the insignia on a captain's shoulder he followed him up to the top floor. With a slight startle, Rhorh realised he had walked in on a meeting. Fortunately a hollow display was running and the lights were dimmed. He made his way over to the far corner of the room, closest to the windows.

"Ok, as you can see the imperials have struggled to get sufficient arms down to the city so far, but they've held out and we've received word from the from of artillery and armour landing. Also a significant proportion have been causing havoc with their typical rapid assaults, the likes of which the local militia has never seen." A major, for some reason still dressed in combat wear rather than uniform, had started speaking.

"Any more word on our shadow suited assassins?" The captain Rhorh had followed put in.

"No sign of them recently, but it serves the high general for staying so far out in the civilian sectors. We'll be able to take things from here though." Surprisingly no one argued.

"We lost an armoured division that was bearing down on the imperial bases, reports show that their defences were quick, but they lacked massive firepower. I've had my tanks fall back to this region and instructed my gunners to unleash hell on the imperial position." Another officer put in.

"Look, I have to remind you all that the defence of the planet is not our main priority. The government have already disowned us, so lets stop thinking about how we can smash the imperials from out position. Regardless of out feelings toward the intelligence division, we have to look at the bigger picture. They have information on all the surrounding systems, including Bestine. They built Zeta six here because they didn't suspect an imperial attack here and now it is our duty to defend them to the last, I've already called for shuttles to get them out of here fast. We can level that place after they've gone and vaporise the remains of the detained.

"My commandos have set up a perimeter defence that can hold off almost indefinitely, they've dealt with these situations before." The Major looked around at everyone, looking for someone to argue. The shadow in the corner of the room listened carefully. This man was obviously the leader of the veteran division in charge of the defence of whatever this zeta six was. His scars betrayed his previous experience and Rhorh could instinctively feel the strong presence he had.

"I'll keep my gunners firing on the imperials then?" the officer who had spoken earlier put in.

"No silence the guns for now, we don't want any more attentions. If we can keep the imperials out for the night there'll be nothing for them to find in the morning."

"And then?"

"We show the imperials what we're really made of, or go down fighting in the process." There was a quiet rumbling of agreement from the room. One younger officer went so far as to slam his fist down on the table. The holo image floating above them flickered off.

"Ok, lights. . . "

Rhorh panicked, he eyes went from the array of lights over his head, to the junior guardsman heading for the switch at the door.

"Thank you. Now I want constant reports of what's going on out there. As soon as those stormtroopers show their ugly faces I want to hear about it. Adjourned." The officers filed out of the room, leaving only the junior officer to pick up the papers and folders left behind.

There was a scraping noise behind him and he swung around towards the window. There climbing out of the window was an oddly shaped shadow, brandishing a black pistol, that shimmered in the bright light.

There was a hiss as the weapon went off and a semi-transparent blaster bolt sliced through the air towards his chest. The blaster bolt, that was only truly visible in the ultraviolet spectrum and appeared merely as a disturbance in the air optically, left a neat hole in his chest. The Defel climbed back inside and reached out with a long arm and rapped his triple jointed fingers around the officers arm. He dragged him to the corner and tossed the body into a closet.
    It was time to find out just what was going on around here.

Captain K'wislin looked up to the High General from the control pit. "We've just run that message through the megabit decrypter sir, it reads: 'Message from the shadows. Rebel commandos have made sector 12 unavailable. Direct assault not recommended, veteran troopers prepared for you. Suggest artillery or air strike. . .' The message has the typical bad structuring I've come to expect from the source. It reads something about a republic intelligence base and Bestine, the source says he is moving to investigate now. He also asked if he can have a codename? He says he likes 'nightshade.' There are some co-ordinates for the outer edges for the rebel defence as well as some numbers and. . ."

Fury ran out of patience. "Kindly send the full message up to my screen captain. Thank you." So this associate of Raziel's was turning out to be quite useful. He read the message through. He was annoyed at first to see the details of the commandos who had obviously done a good job of walling off the section and turning it into an urban deathtrap. However, the sketchy details of some kind of republic intelligence group they were protecting intrigued him, especially the word 'detained'.

"May I ask about this obviously amateur source that's been reporting for the last few days sir? Did you manage to bribe as rebel officer and why aren't intelligence involved?"

"Captain it would be a good idea NOT to ask anything more on this, or even mention in for that matter."

"Sir."

"Return this message. Tell the agent to investigate this matter further. Completely in fact. Tell him that the next section up for investigation on the list has become inaccessible and after reporting back he will be assigned a squad of stormtroopers to scout for."

"Sir," the captain saluted.

-----------------------
PC:A/SGM/Raziel/1PLT/1COMP/1BAT/1RGT/Tadath/VEA/ {EW1} {WoS} {VP} {IG} {CDS} {BoA}
Assistant Squad Leader - Squad4 Wraiths
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989.
CM/DJK Raziel/lion 1-5/Krath/VEDJ/VE
[This message has been edited by Raziel (edited May 24, 2004 2:01:13 PM)]
TK-112
ComNet Member

Post Number:  661
Total Posts:  1086
May 25, 2004 5:53:00 AM    View the profile of TK-112 
As soon as they got out of the forest they were met by heavy cannon fire. Without much thought the two quickly turned back into the forest to find another path...A safer path.

The two troopers rushed through the forest of trees, their speeders moved as fast as they could without caring for any possible ambush. One thing that they had not realise though is the fact that they were being tailed by a new republic speeder bike. As the two flew past branches of trees their speeders came closer, suddenly with a flash the tailing speeder let out a shot out of it's blaster cannon skimming Kami's speeder forcing it to lightly colide with TK's speeder.

"Oh crap!" TK shouted.
"We're entangled!!!" Kami followed.
"We don't have much choice...JUMP!!!" TK ordered.

As soon as they jumped their speeders colided into a tree forming an explosion followed by the Republic speeder lining up a strafing run. The two troopers reacted quickly and grabbed their sidearms out of their holsters and opened fire towards the incoming speeder. Out of luck, the bolts struck the Republic scout and knocked him off his speeder as the speeder followed the fate of the two imperial speeders.

"Quick Kami, pick up his weapons" TK ordered.

TK took his chestplate off, baring a wornt out body glove. This was followed by his helmet. Kami came back as soon as she collected the weapons from the corpse of the dead scout, sat down and took her helm off too.

"Ok, Sarge our current arsenal consist of my scout blaster, your two scout blasters, your enforcer heavy slughtrower pistol, my E-11 , the scout's Kylan-3 Heavy Blaster Pistol and his TI-47 Deathwind Slugthrower Sniper Rifle, both are still fully loaded, my ammo is half full, how about yours?" Kami informed.
"Well I'm pretty much half-filled too" TK replied.
"Well from what I can see, this scout must have been an elite sniper of somekind to be carrying such a heavy piece of weaponry" Kami suggested.
"Well at least now we can take on some vehicles with it...How's your comlink? My helm is screwed from that last fall" TK asked.
"Well my helm is out of power..." Kami replied.

-----------------------
Senior Sergeant David "TK-112" "Tweak" Bowman
Trooper - Vast Empire Army
TRP/SSG TK-112/2SQD/1PLT/1COM/1BAT/1REG/VEA/VE [CoR] [IH] [BoA]
"Winner of the let's imitate TK-112 for a day competition"
[This message has been edited by TK-112 (edited May 25, 2004 6:00:32 AM)]
kaMi
ComNet Cadet

[VE-ARMY] Corporal

May 25, 2004 7:10:33 AM    View the profile of kaMi 
From her vantage point at the top of one of Moorja's spiky leafed trees, Kami looked out atop the seemingly endless green of the forest, straining her ears to pick up the sounds of distant gunfire... and hearing nothing...
Fighting down her frustration, she slid down from the branch then shimmied down the trunk and dropped the last two meters to the ground. "Nothing." She announced to TK, who was shaking his helmet around in a vain attempt to get it working again. "Forest for miles in every direction. That Rebel chased us for longer than I thought... I can't even hear Platoon B anymore."

TK sighed, and dropped his helmet, "Did you manage to com through to the Gunny?"
Kami shook her head in negative, "Only before we entered that clearing where Platoon B was battling it out."
TK sighed again, "Well let's hope the others got the message and can go help the platoon out."
He glanced down at the Sniper Rifle Kami had hoisted into her arms, "Can you use that thing?"
Kami threw her sergeant a wry grin, "My father taught me back on Kuat, but that was a few years ago, so I might be a little rusty."
TK rose an eyebrow in the direction of the private, surprise evident of his face "That's the first time you've mentioned you're family."
Kami opened her mouth, then abruptly shut it, as dormant emotions welled up into a lump in her throat.
Damm it...now is not the time for this...

Kami dropped her eyes from TK's now concerned gaze, and kicked her useless stormtrooper helmet aside, fighting to regain control of her thoughts. Breathing a little easier, Kami bid the dented lump of armor a silent farewell, then straightened and handed her E-11 to TK, "Here, I can't carry this and the slug thrower at the same time."
TK looked as though he was about to say something, but seemed to think better of it, and took Kami's outstretched weapon instead, "We need to move, we've been here to long."

As if on cue, a whine sounded from the trees around them.

"What the..." TK turned about in a circle, Kami's E-11 held ready, trying to determine the direction of the sound.
The whine increased in volume, and was suddenly joined by the sounds of numerous other high pitched drones.
"Speeder Bikes." Kami whispered, her hands tightening involuntarily on the sniper rifle.
TK's face had gone deathly grim, "Sounds like five or six at least" He gestured almost angrily towards the crumpled mass of the Rebel Speeder bike, "...no doubt of friend here told them our position..."
The two Dragoons looked at each other almost helplessly.

They were surrounded on all sides by dense forest... on foot...lost... and being chased down by half a dozen Rebel Speeders...

Kami resisted the urge to swear...
..Could this day get any worse...?

-----------------------
[This message has been edited by Kami (edited May 25, 2004 5:43:36 PM)]
Kuroishi
ComNet Member

May 25, 2004 8:34:34 AM    View the profile of Kuroishi 
Kuroishi with nothing better to do looked up at the darkening sky.

Then he saw the first signs of good news he had for a while, entry flares.  The paths were too inorganic for it to be anything other then reinforcments.

Soon they would be here and things would be a lot simpler.

Kuroishi couldn't make out what type of vessals they were just yet but at least they had penetrated the sporadic planetary shielding.

Last Kuroishi heard DD and some regulars were still working on blasting the last shield generator.  Jester was off somewhere having fun.  Raiders were somewhere near thier position but Kuroishi didn't want to break comm silence anymore then he had to.

-----------------------
Kuroishi Wraith VEA
Daishi Raptor VEN
Argon Viper
ComNet Expert

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-VEEC] Senior Writer

May 25, 2004 3:25:24 PM    View the profile of Argon Viper 
Argon lay in the rubble section Kuroishi had chosen for them and readied his sniper rifle.

If all went to plan, he'd be too busy planting explosives on command vehicles and random "targets of opportunity" to get a chance to use it, but long years of experience had taught him that if anything ever went to plan, it was a trap.

Kuroishi and Fish were doing the same thing next to him, they were the designated snipers.

Mandor and Sam would be working as spotters, making sure the enemy didn't come to close, and if the situation called for it, heavy weapons guys; with any luck they could give any strike force a run for their money.

Sniper rifle ready, Argon began to ready his explosives, with any luck, they could blunt the force of the Rebel attack, allowing the spaceport to hold out long enough for reinforcements to arrive.

Now all that was left to do was wait.

-----------------------
Argon Viper
IW COL Argon Viper{ret}
FlyingKnight
ComNet Member

Post Number:  614
Total Posts:  851
May 26, 2004 7:00:10 AM    View the profile of FlyingKnight 
    Sniping101 after talking with Rizzit moved toward the door heading downstairs. FlyingKnight slung his rifle over his back and pulled out his E-11/M and moved toward the door with his spotter close behind. Walking into the lobby Knight saw snipes was peering out the door while waiting for him. He ran up to the door while his spotter checked out the window for snipers with his IR goggles.

"Rizzit wants us to move up to his position at an abandoned ware house. I think he wants us to do cover fire for the Wraiths." Snipes said.

"Okay, lets move." Knight responded checking his weapon.

Snipes checked the street again and moved out into the alley next to the hotel for cover. After seeing Snipes signal him Knight and his spotter moved out. Using the move and cover technique all the way to the warehouse they got there without any problems. Walking up to the warehouse Snipes and Knight headed towards Rizzit standing near the door.

"Okay Snipes you get to the roof of the warehouse while I take the regulars and JR to help out Wraith with the spaceport." Rizzit said.

"Roger that." Snipes said moving toward the stairs heading to the roof of the warehouse.

"Knight I want you to find a terminal that is linked with the city's computer. I want you to try and slice your way into the NR mainframe and try to get troop movements and any other info that will be useful." Rizzit ordered.

"Okay, if I can I am going to leave my medical supplies with one of the regulars, this pack is getting heavy." Knight said.

"Sure go ahead."

Knight signaled one of the regulars over and gave him his pack. Moving off into the city Knight stopped and checked his datapad for any energy activity that would indicate any computer activity near him. Seeing a slight energy spike he moved toward an electronics shop and cautiously walked in. Checking the building Knight found only electronics and a small office. Locking the outside door and setting up a small camera linked to his computer Knight moved into the office and set up his laptop. Hooking the laptop up to a computer jack he logged onto the city's mainframe.

-----------------------
Lance Corporal
Frank "FlyingKnight" Carter
-Raider Squad
-
TRP/LCPL FlyingKnight/3SQD/1PLT/COMP/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE [LoR]
"Be polite. Be professional. But have a plan to kill everyone you meet."--USMC Rules of Gunfighting
Kuroishi
ComNet Member

May 26, 2004 8:01:09 AM    View the profile of Kuroishi 
The only nagging feeling Kuroishi had on his mind was where were the Raiders and what were they planning?

No choice time to break comm silence.

"Kuroishi to Raiders.  We need to coordinate a deffense here.  We'll be disrupting the command structure.  We've managed to set up a funnel but we need bait to draw the rebels in.  There should be heavy forces landing at the spaceport soon."  Kuroishi commed.

"Copy that.  Myself, JR, and some regulars are enroute.  We'll draw them into the guantlent."  Rizzit's voice sounded dubious.

Kuroishi had little choice but to give the signal, waiting much longer would mean having to duck the assault forces just to get out of the city and into position.

Thier target would be well guarded, but stealth and guile were no strangers to three of the Wraiths.  They had been fighting these kinds of odds for years and were almost psychotic enough to love every minute of it.

Kuroishi arose first.  Checking with his NV, a quick sweep confirmed thier path to be clear.

The squad moved as quickly as they could while checking for patrols and scouts.  Ducking such things was easy work while in an urban environment.  Once they got into the gulley it would be more difficult but at least they wouldn't be spotted until a patrol was right on top of them.

The squad kept moving as they heard heavy vehicles rumble past, both conventional and repulsor lift.  Meant the assault was inbound and Wraith should not be far off from the command post.

A quick double tap on the Raider's frequency alerted them to the inbound enemies.

Kuroishi peeked up over the edge to check his guess work and was somewhat frustrated.

"They didn't go as far up the hill as I expected but that makes Argon's job easier while we snipers will have to figure out new firing positions."  Kuroishi gathered the squad.

Kuroishi marched the squad into the best position he could.  Argon detatched to go give his preseants to all the good little rebel boys and girls no matter what species or religion.

"Our turn."  Kuroishi said as he hoped over the edge to find some sniper spot to scurry into.

-----------------------
Kuroishi Wraith VEA
Daishi Raptor VEN
Argon Viper
ComNet Expert

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-VEEC] Senior Writer

May 26, 2004 6:55:18 PM    View the profile of Argon Viper 
Sneaking through what little cover remained after a full fledged mechanized assault force had rambed through, Argon approached the outer line of defense around the command vehicles.

In most armies, being relegated to guarding the commanders was considered just a few steps above punishment duty, and luckily this army was no exception.

As it was, the men on duty seemed bored and relatively unalert, this would make his job a lot easier.

Resisting the urge to stick a knife in them as he passed, Argon swept silently behind a pair of guards and into the main parking area for the command vehicles.

Another simple foible common to all armies was the lack of security on the roof; one simply had to be above the standard line of sight, and it was pretty much clear sailing.

Wondering how much money he could make as a security consultant considering his detailed knowledge of both mechanical and human components of them, he placed the first charge, an incinerator charge, on the ventilation duct of the first vehicle.

This charge, while not doing much damage to the vehicle itself, would incinerate the air around it for at least a three meter radius.

With a sudden six meter wide sphere of vacuum in the middle of an atmosphere, air would quickly rush to fill it, causing a rapid depressurization of the interior of the vehicle.

Moving onto the next vehicle, Argon threw away the idea of consulting; there might be money in it, but it didn't sound as if they'd let him have any real fun.

-----------------------
Argon Viper
IW COL Argon Viper{ret}
Kuroishi
ComNet Member

May 26, 2004 10:08:09 PM    View the profile of Kuroishi 
Kuroishi crawled with Sam to his chosen sniping position.  Without someone with some binocs spotting for him he'd have plenty of accuracy to hit anything in the camp.  The far side he might drop to less then 90% effectiveness in removing enemies from the fight depending on enemy armor, but with his skill and specialized ammunition there would be many enemies removed from the battle this day.

Infact that train of thought brought another interesting quirk of many armies to Kuroishi's mind.  Most armies tend thier wounded.  Doing so almost always slows them longer then having to bury the dead.  It might prove to be the key of keeping the enemy in position long enough for the forces holding outside the city to be counter attacked.

All the gambles Kuroishi had made in his life, this was the biggest.  His idea could make them all heroes or dead.  There would be no capture after the firestorm that was about to ensue, not unless the universe decided to re-write human nature.

Kuroishi began to pick through priority targets and make his daigram of guard positions and patrol routes.

Kuroishi swept and reswept the area with his scope.  Nothing would escape his notice.

Kuroishi watched Argon's path through his scope and consulted his mental table of who would be where, and when.

Then suddenly a guard stopped.

Kuroishi had to choose between eliminating him, breaking comm silence, or letting him spot Argon as he readied to leave the roof of the fourth target.  At least with the shot there was the chance of suprise being maintained.

To Kuroishi the crack of his rifle was loud through his helmet's external pick ups, but to anyone down at the base it would be a barely noticable crack.

'So far so good.'  Kuroishi thought to himself as none of the guards seemed to notice thier missing compatriot yet.

-----------------------
Kuroishi Wraith VEA
Daishi Raptor VEN
kaMi
ComNet Cadet

[VE-ARMY] Corporal

May 27, 2004 1:36:36 AM    View the profile of kaMi 
Kami reacted on pure instinct, throwing herself under the cover of some low hanging ferns to her left just as the first Rebel speeder zoomed past the downed Dragoons position .Her vision partly blocked by foliage, Kami watched as five more speeders flew past in succession, the roar of their engines dying to a soft whir as they sped off in the distance to circle back and return to the clearing.

Aware that she had only a few moments to react, Kami leapt out from under the fern and nearly collided with TK, who had emerged right in front of her.
"What the..?" Kami looked up and down at TK, and supressed a laugh that threatened to escape her lips...
His once stark white storm trooper armor was now completely covered in a thick...gooey...black colored mud...

Wrinkling her nose at the smell wafting from the senior sergeant, Kami watched as TK's eyes peered out at from beneath the layer of mud
"What?" TK's voice sounded slightly indignant as he pulled a large clump of mud from his hair, "I fell over okay..."

The whir in the distance increased in volume, announcing the return of the Rebel speeder patrol.
Kami tensed, hesitated, then pointed up the tree closest to her and TK.
TK didn't have time to argue.
He flew up the tree, Kami close on his heels, as the patrol returned, traveling at a slower speed for their second pass.

The two Dragoons settled on a branch not far from the ground, Kami masking her movements carefully so as not to sway the foliage and alert the Rebels to their presence. Positioning herself so that the majority of her armor was hidden behind the brown form of TK, Kami watched as two of the Rebel speeders slowed, then landed in the clearing. Their companions continued to circle slowly around the area, the panicked noises blaring from their comm units suggesting that the NR forces weren't exactly coping with the sudden untimely arrival of the Vast Empire on Moorja...

The two Rebel troopers on the ground slid off their bikes, and made their way slowly towards the crumpled form of the Rebel speeder, which was lying just a few meters under the tree where TK and Kami crouched hidden from view. One of the troopers murmured something to other in a voice too low for Kami to pick up, and the two broke apart, and maneuvered around different sides of the bike.

They suspect an ambush...
The thought drifted through Kami's mind as the two troopers came within a few feet of the bike, suspiciously pointing their blasters at the black charred metal. One, the squad leader judging by the badge on his tunic, gave the bike a quick once over, then looked about the small clearing, suspicion marring his features.
Kami felt TK shift slightly in front of her, and saw his hand move slowly up until it was at Kami's eye level.  Holding up two fingers, the sergeant pointed to the two grounded troopers, then at the bikes.
Kami felt a nervous grin tug at the corners of her mouth
How right they are...

Kami brought up her sniper rifle, and looked through the scope to find herself glaring at an enlarged version of the squad leader's forehead.
She had only a few seconds in which she would be able to take down the first trooper, re-aim then take down the second, before the other members of the squad could react.
And in the time it takes for them to react..., TK and I have to get on those bikes...
Steadying her hands, and allowing some of her weight to lean onto TK to help maintain her balance, Kami placed her finger on the trigger, let out a soft breath...
...then shot the Squad Leader in the head.

The man stiffened, then crumpled to the ground with a barely audible thump, as Kami quickly brought her rifle around, focused it on the second trooper...who had yet to react, and shot him twice in the upper chest.

Suddenly TK was moving, leaping from the tree to the ground, Kami two steps behind him. Kami rolled as she hit the ground, then came to her feet...only somewhat aware that she had landed in the same puddle of mud TK had previously occupied.

A shrill shout sounded from above her as the first member of the airborne squad realized the fate of his companions. Blaster fire followed, scorching the ground about Kami's feet as she threw herself the last meter towards the Rebel speeder bikes, mud spattering off about her in all directions.
Landing on her stomach atop one of the speeder bikes, Kami gritted her teeth, tightened her fingers, kick started the engine, and let the throttle all out...

The speeder wavered... and then leapt under the private, roaring up from 0 to 100 in the space of a few seconds.

Kami hung on to the grips with all her might as the speeder bucked, then zoomed into the air and away from the clearing, with the private still only half-on her ride.
A flash of bright light filled the air on both sides of the speeder, followed by a brief sensation of white hot heat, as a now fully aware Rebel pursuit opened fire. Gathering the last of the strength left in her burning arms, Kami pulled herself the rest of the way into the saddle, then glanced back over her shoulder to see who has trying so resolutely to shot her down. Seeing three Rebel speeder bikes on her tail, with three extremely irritated Rebel riders, Kami grimaced, then turned her attention back to dodging through the seemingly endless sea of trees.

She just hoped TK was alright...

-----------------------
[This message has been edited by Kami (edited May 27, 2004 6:57:22 AM)]
ComNet > Neutral Messages > Archived StoryNet > Chapter 8 : Army  |  New Posts    
  Pages:  [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >> ]   

All times are CST. The time now is 9:31:50 AM
Comnet Jump:

Current Online Members - 0  |  Guests - 100  |  Bots - 1

< Contact Us - The Vast Empire >