Communications Network
Vast Empire  -  New Posts  -  Search  -  Statistics  -  Login 

ComNet > Imperial Navy > Archived Navy Main ComNet > Counterpunch: Death discussion

Pages:  [ << 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 >> ]   
Author
Topic:  Counterpunch: Death discussion
Serpent
ComNet Member
Imperial Baronet

Serpent

[VE-NAVY] Lieutenant

Post Number:  796
Total Posts:  1214
  RE: Counterpunch: Death discussion
April 26, 2013 11:54:40 PM    View the profile of Serpent 
Thanks, Fishhead!  I've been loving your medical posts too!

And a big welcome back to Romanflame!  Glad to see so many old faces returning for the carnage at Sollamens!
SCAP/LT Pherik “Serpent” Zail / VSD Brilliant /TF:Aurek/2Flt/FC/VEN/VE
[SoA][LoM][NAR][E][CBV][SoV][MiD][1NS][GWC][MC1][VC:E][CC:2][CAR][=*Eng*=][=*BO*=][AOx2]

"It isn't the killing, you know.  It's the beauty of battles that I love - the choreography and the challenge of executing everything
just right - and the challenge of matching your wits against a capable opponent." - Gilad Pellaeon
Avalar
ComNet Member

Avalar

[VE-DJO] Uninitiate
[VE-NAVY] Petty Officer 2nd Class

Post Number:  425
Total Posts:  786
April 27, 2013 1:13:22 AM    View the profile of Avalar 
Well, I decided to give a nod to Tryk by attempting my own book excerpt. I'm definitely not a textbook writer and editing some of the prose out of my writing was difficult. Not the best but decent for first attempt? XD

Also for Strill, this doesn't mean that Panthac can't still be written. They just can't be written in the present. Still have fun with character perspectives if you feel it.
SXO | PO2 Avalar | Iron 2 | S:58 Strill | W:101 Blade | ISD Adjudicator | TF:A | 2Flt | VEN | VE

Imperial Network Star Wars Image

[SoA]  [MC1]  [CC:W]

TRN | UNI Zarya | VEDJ
TosthAaaiser
ComNet Novice

TosthAaaiser

[VE-NAVY] Petty Officer 1st Class

Post Number:  63
Total Posts:  232
April 27, 2013 2:10:29 AM    View the profile of TosthAaaiser 
Actually, Avalar... I quite enjoyed reading your latest post in the textbook style.

Your focus with Panthac Squadron was very clear and concise. Hitting the key points in the Sollamens was executed very well as well...

Only point I might have added would be in how the squadron fell apart during the battle; it was a bit vague in that respect. Perhaps just a few more specific details in general as well to make it more like a book entry... In cases such as this:
Avalar wrote: They pulled together in formations that should have required communication, and they executed them with precision, cutting down several fighters in the process.

But all in all, a great post.

Hope you're feeling better as well, Trick.
JC/PO1 Tosth “Fishhead” Aaaiser/ISD Adjudicator/TF:B/2Flt/FC/VEN/VE
[SoA][NAR][VC:B]
(=^NDr^=)

Imperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars Image

"Win or lose, as long as the fight is worthy, then honor is gained. The glory at having triumphed over impossible odds is what drives me. If there's nothing at stake – your possessions, your life, your world – then the battle's meaningless. It's the true test of yourself – the battle against death... against oblivion."
Avalar
ComNet Member

Avalar

[VE-DJO] Uninitiate

Post Number:  426
April 27, 2013 2:44:49 AM    View the profile of Avalar 
Someone in the navy who gives critiques. O.O My eyes surely deceive me.

Yeah. I admit I kind of lost my ability to think specifically around that point. Tactical stuff is not my forte.
SXO | PO2 Avalar | Iron 2 | S:58 Strill | W:101 Blade | ISD Adjudicator | TF:A | 2Flt | VEN | VE

TRN | UNI Zarya | VEDJ
TosthAaaiser
ComNet Novice

TosthAaaiser

Post Number:  64
April 27, 2013 2:58:11 AM    View the profile of TosthAaaiser 
Hehe. Yeah. Used to be that Trick and Drac would critique all the time... Just thought I might put my two-cents out there. Still a great post.

Yeah. I typically have problems writing tactics. But if you're willing to do a bit of reading/digging for tactical stuff, I'd start here:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Starfighter_combat

Doesn't have particular flight formation information, but it's definitely a useful start.
(=^NDr^=)

Imperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars Image

"Win or lose, as long as the fight is worthy, then honor is gained. The glory at having triumphed over impossible odds is what drives me. If there's nothing at stake – your possessions, your life, your world – then the battle's meaningless. It's the true test of yourself – the battle against death... against oblivion."
Trykon
ComNet Marshal

Trykon

[VE-DJO] Dark Jedi Templar
[VE-NAVY] Captain

Post Number:  2679
Total Posts:  3784
April 27, 2013 3:06:56 AM    View the profile of Trykon 
I have gotten lax about critique on the Navy sides, it's true.  I'll have to get back in the swing of things, on that front.

Post's finally up.  Not great, but at least we're moved forward.  Most of the relevant detail is clarified greatly in the OOC note at the end, actually: the Verpine plan on purposefully miscommunicating, at the next battle, but only when they see us able to coordinate our forces... they don't want to waste going against the Dominion, and risking their queen, if we won't be able to use that to win.

And, in other news, that's the most posts to a single story I've ever made in the Navy!    I'm not a super-poster like some folks (DeepSix, Serpent, etc.), but I'm proud to be contributing meta-level, Gamemaster kinds of posts.  I'm ever more happy to be breaking records all around, with this story. 
CNW/CPT Wyl "Trick" Trykon/ISD Adjudicator/TF:A/2Flt/FC/VEN/VE

[SoA][SoV][BWC][NSM][E][NAR][HNS][DSM][SWC][1NS][VC:B][LoM][VC:S][NC][GWC][VC:G][CoB][CC:3][2NS][LSM][VC:E][MSM]
(=*AE*=)(=*SAE*=)(=*TG*=)(=*SCFE*=)(=*FOCE*=)

CM/DJT Trykon/DJO/VEDJ
[This message has been edited by Trick (edited April 27, 2013 3:09:10 AM)]
Serpent
ComNet Member
Imperial Baronet

Serpent

[VE-NAVY] Lieutenant

Post Number:  797
Total Posts:  1214
April 27, 2013 3:11:28 AM    View the profile of Serpent 
So just to be clear, the Pulsar will still be in its active stage when we return to the battle, right?  Regular coms and sensors will still be rendered useless in the coming fight?
SCAP/LT Pherik “Serpent” Zail / VSD Brilliant /TF:Aurek/2Flt/FC/VEN/VE
[SoA][LoM][NAR][E][CBV][SoV][MiD][1NS][GWC][MC1][VC:E][CC:2][CAR][=*Eng*=][=*BO*=][AOx2]

"It isn't the killing, you know.  It's the beauty of battles that I love - the choreography and the challenge of executing everything
just right - and the challenge of matching your wits against a capable opponent." - Gilad Pellaeon
Trykon
ComNet Marshal

Trykon

[VE-NAVY] Captain

Post Number:  2680
April 27, 2013 3:20:50 AM    View the profile of Trykon 
Thanks for the question; I'm a little out of it, with medications and little food.

The Grand Idea:

1. The "siege" on Gwodd LK nale turns into an all-out assault, while Second Fleet is still at Bloodmoon, as suggested by Joamer's last post.

2. At Bloodmoon, Second Fleet figures out a system of procedures (like the blink code, visual observers, battle boards, etc.) that will allow us to function on a basic level, despite the interference.  Fighters will operate much more closely to their home vessels.

3.  When we get back to the Sollamens, the pulsar has gone inactive again, at first.  We see the Dominion fleet surrounding Gwodd LK nale, along with MANY troop transports.  We engage.  At first, we do really, really well, but the Dominion don't run... they know another active period is coming.

4.  The pulsar switches back to active again, and there's a moment of difficulty as we have to switch over to the newly-worked-out, unfamiliar procedures to see us through.  Then we start holding out own.

5.  At that point, convinced we can make a go of it, our Verpine allies will make their move.  And things will get epic. 

That clarify the outline a bit, everyone?  Remember, this isn't a pre-written story.  I have ideas about its shape and its possible outcomes, but everything - as ever - is influenced/shaped by what YOU write.  Our posts have consequences, and those will be reflected in what follows them.  Still, I think that outline works well, and should be easy to work within, rather than against.  Hope you agree. 

[SoA][SoV][BWC][NSM][E][NAR][HNS][DSM][SWC][1NS][VC:B][LoM][VC:S][NC][GWC][VC:G][CoB][CC:3][2NS][LSM][VC:E][MSM]

CM/DJT Trykon/DJO/VEDJ
Avalar
ComNet Member

Avalar

[VE-DJO] Uninitiate

Post Number:  429
April 27, 2013 3:30:47 AM    View the profile of Avalar 
Thankfully my post doesn't conflict with any of the ideas anyway. XD

More CD with the whole Thatcher thing (yeah yeah it's old news now), but then revealing at the end that hell is coming and it's coming fast.

Decided to post twice tonight to make up for my weeks of being absent. I want to contribute a lot on this story and make it even more epically awesome than it has been. Plus, we have a post count to beat!

TRN | UNI Zarya | VEDJ
Trykon
ComNet Marshal

Trykon

[VE-NAVY] Captain

Post Number:  2681
April 27, 2013 3:33:41 AM    View the profile of Trykon 
Woohoo!  Thanks, Avalar! 

We're so close!  Twenty posts breaks the record!

CM/DJT Trykon/DJO/VEDJ
TosthAaaiser
ComNet Novice

TosthAaaiser

Post Number:  65
April 27, 2013 3:36:07 AM    View the profile of TosthAaaiser 
Just out of curiosity, what exactly is this post count we're trying to achieve?

And overall plan looks pretty good, Trick. Won't have much impact on the story personally, but I'll be running around responding to emergency transponder signals. So if anyone plans on getting blown up... Would be a good heads up for my writing.
(=^NDr^=)

Avalar
ComNet Member

Avalar

[VE-DJO] Uninitiate

Post Number:  430
April 27, 2013 3:43:21 AM    View the profile of Avalar 
Sadly the only person I might blow up is on an asteroid. But you can certainly have him later

TRN | UNI Zarya | VEDJ
Trykon
ComNet Marshal

Trykon

[VE-NAVY] Captain

Post Number:  2682
April 27, 2013 3:43:32 AM    View the profile of Trykon 
If you look here, Fishhead, you can see the statistics screen for the Naval Story Board.

The most-posted-to story in Division history has 156 posts.  Now, those are all short little microfictions, from the days before word count minimums, when the VE was more a sort of flash-fiction rpg, and less emphasis was placed on writing fully-developed stories collaboratively.  And, it includes some OOC content in that number too.  But, regardless, the number stands as the record: 156 posts.

So far, Counterpunch: Death has 137.  That's just 20 away from solidly smashing the record.  And that would be quite a feat, considering the VE has been around since 1999. 

CM/DJT Trykon/DJO/VEDJ
Gurlanin
ComNet Cadet

Gurlanin

[VE-NAVY] Leading Crewman

Post Number:  235
Total Posts:  757
April 27, 2013 3:47:03 AM    View the profile of Gurlanin 
I go away for one night. ONE night. In the morning I have around thirty e-mails telling me that I'm behind on posting. Grrr.

I will hopefully have a post up by the end of today.
Leading Crewman Grent "Gurlanin" Notimo, 58th (Strill) Squadron

FM | LCRW Gurlanin | Iron Eight | S:58 "Strill" | W:101 "Blade" | ISD II "Adjudicator" | TF:Aurek | 2nd Fleet | SC | VEN | VE

Imperial Network Star Wars Image Imperial Network Star Wars Image

{GrAt}{AFM}{Infl}{SFT}{Gunn}
(=TG=)
Trykon
ComNet Marshal

Trykon

[VE-NAVY] Captain

Post Number:  2683
April 27, 2013 3:48:01 AM    View the profile of Trykon 
Welcome back! 

CM/DJT Trykon/DJO/VEDJ
Avalar
ComNet Member

Avalar

[VE-DJO] Uninitiate

Post Number:  431
April 27, 2013 3:49:40 AM    View the profile of Avalar 
That moment when the Death discussion board runs like IRC...?

TRN | UNI Zarya | VEDJ
Gurlanin
ComNet Cadet

Gurlanin

Post Number:  237
April 27, 2013 3:51:24 AM    View the profile of Gurlanin 
Pretty much. I saw all the e-mails and thought: "Oh crap, what's happened?"

Don't scare me like that, people! I've only the one heart!

FM | LCRW Gurlanin | Iron Eight | S:58 "Strill" | W:101 "Blade" | ISD II "Adjudicator" | TF:Aurek | 2nd Fleet | SC | VEN | VE

(=TG=)
Avalar
ComNet Member

Avalar

[VE-DJO] Uninitiate

Post Number:  432
April 27, 2013 3:52:59 AM    View the profile of Avalar 
Ah, then clearly you are not the Doctor. One person down. Several billion to go...

But anyway, feel free to have the chaos start, Gur. We're about to get hit to hell.

TRN | UNI Zarya | VEDJ
Gurlanin
ComNet Cadet

Gurlanin

Post Number:  238
April 27, 2013 3:57:33 AM    View the profile of Gurlanin 
I was this close to making a reference to the Doctor. Just goes to show that we're all on the same wavelength.

And I'll see what I can do about writing up a quick post thing.

Also, I'm going to try to do my shuttle ancillary before the end of this campaign, so that I could potentially have the injured (and at that point, more injured) Gurlanin stealing one of the ID troop transport shuttle thingies to get some of the injured personnel out of there. That would be more towards the end of the story, I think, but it's a nice little idea, I thought.

(=TG=)
Trykon
ComNet Marshal

Trykon

[VE-NAVY] Captain

Post Number:  2684
April 27, 2013 4:05:10 AM    View the profile of Trykon 
It's a good idea, sure, but keep in mind: this story is ending sooner than later.  Technically, we were supposed to be finished by May 1st!  Now, I'm giving us a little extra time, since we're building back up to activity, but we should still wrap things up as soon as possible.    Just keep that in mind before you introduce too many new plotlines, sub-plots, and twists. 

CM/DJT Trykon/DJO/VEDJ
Gurlanin
ComNet Cadet

Gurlanin

Post Number:  239
April 27, 2013 4:06:39 AM    View the profile of Gurlanin 
Better get busy writing my ancillary then, shouldn't I? :P

(=TG=)
Trykon
ComNet Marshal

Trykon

[VE-NAVY] Captain

Post Number:  2685
April 27, 2013 4:08:38 AM    View the profile of Trykon 
That's the spirit! 

CM/DJT Trykon/DJO/VEDJ
Gurlanin
ComNet Cadet

Gurlanin

Post Number:  242
April 27, 2013 5:35:39 AM    View the profile of Gurlanin 
Well, with my ancillary written, I shall now concentrate on Strill. Might get a Panthac thing in there. Might also do a defiance post.

(=TG=)
Gurlanin
ComNet Cadet

Gurlanin

Post Number:  244
April 27, 2013 12:50:43 AM    View the profile of Gurlanin 
OH OH OH!

Why did I not think of it before?

How's the NCC getting out? I think I gathered that Strill is rescuing him, but are we flying him off, or is a transport landing, or what? Is there a preset result?

Because if there wasn't, I was wondering if, say, a couple of Strill folks could find him, rest of Strill give covering fire, and then we could fly him off in the shuttle with the wounded. Or without wounded. Don't care. Honestly, the thought has only just come to me. Whilst it's not essential for my next post, I was thinking maybe the next one. Doesn't even have to be Grent flying the shuttle: he's got the Infiltration ancillary so could do that.

Just a question to put out to the floor.

(=TG=)
Trykon
ComNet Marshal

Trykon

[VE-NAVY] Captain

Post Number:  2686
April 27, 2013 1:56:50 PM    View the profile of Trykon 
First, we have to get StOrMz back in VE custody.  Beyond that, we'll have to see.  I must say that I don't think Strill will NEED to "escape" Gwodd LK nale.  May be more dramatic/make more sense for you guys to fight a "last stand" sort of situation, and then have Second Fleet come in to turn that into an attack of our own.

It's like Strill is the 101st Airborne at Bastogne, in World War II, and Second Fleet is Patton's army.  The history books'll write it like Second Fleet "rescued" Strill, but no member of Strill will probably ever say they required rescuing. 

CM/DJT Trykon/DJO/VEDJ
Gurlanin
ComNet Cadet

Gurlanin

Post Number:  245
April 27, 2013 1:59:07 PM    View the profile of Gurlanin 
American WWII is not the best of my subjects. American history is not my best subject full stop! But I think I know what you mean.

I'll have a post up in a minute or so.

(=TG=)
Gurlanin
ComNet Cadet

Gurlanin

Post Number:  247
April 27, 2013 2:40:32 PM    View the profile of Gurlanin 
There's my post up. Always wanted to included Dha Werda Verda in something. Anyhow, I think that was my longest post in this topic so far, word count wise.

So, a summary of how everyone's feeling right now:

Gurlanin and the five Mandalorian Marines are pumped up to the max on adrenaline.
Everyone else in the hangar is similarly feeling the adrenaline rush just from watching the war dance.
The ID forces closest to the hangar are pretty scared, so will be easier than most to fight off. However, that's only a small part of the main force.

It's still all to play for peeps!

(=TG=)
Trykon
ComNet Marshal

Trykon

[VE-NAVY] Captain

Post Number:  2687
April 27, 2013 3:20:50 PM    View the profile of Trykon 
152,295 words so far, in this story.  That's a novel, everyone! 

CM/DJT Trykon/DJO/VEDJ
Avalar
ComNet Member

Avalar

[VE-DJO] Uninitiate

Post Number:  433
April 27, 2013 3:28:20 PM    View the profile of Avalar 
Oh dear. We've broken out the crazy XD

We seriously need a map of the grounds. I'm starting to lose where everything is, especially because some of us have certain ideas that are not concrete. I'm getting lost in the layout.

And yay novel!

TRN | UNI Zarya | VEDJ
Gurlanin
ComNet Cadet

Gurlanin

Post Number:  248
April 27, 2013 4:19:49 PM    View the profile of Gurlanin 
Well we know that we've a fairly large, double ended, high ceiling, hangar bay. We know there's a maintenance balcony on at least on side. I would imagine both. Then there are going to be two doorways on each side opposite each other? Maybe three, with one in the middle? I don't know .... That's what I was imagining from the description, at least.

(=TG=)
ComNet > Imperial Navy > Archived Navy Main ComNet > Counterpunch: Death discussion  |  New Posts    
  Pages:  [ << 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 >> ]   

All times are CST. The time now is 2:39:33 PM
Comnet Jump:

Current Online Members - 0  |  Guests - 85  |  Bots - 1

< Contact Us - The Vast Empire >