ComNet Marshal

Shazam

[VE-NAVY] Line Captain
[VE-VEEC] Chief Reporter

Post Number:  3050
Total Posts:  4197
  RE: VENA-Staff Topic
June 28, 2007 12:37:21 AM    View the profile of Shazam 
Ah- good questions.  First- you are authorized to move people on, but not necessarily grade their work.  So if you look at a bio and you think that it has the qualities I'd be looking for you can move someone on, even give your own suggestions before I actually get to the grading process.  I'll make some final recommendations and then officially pass them, meanwhile you've already had them complete chapter 2 and have their wiki set up- so I can just kind of assess it all at once.  Then you and I and whomever else is around for the training process can help assess where he or she should go according to need as well as chemistry.

As for the fellow staffers- I'm not sure they're around, lol.  I forget the problems we ran into with Cyleaf- he may have just faded out.  But I believe Demonic is going to be making a pretty strong move to the Army here pretty soon- he should be sticking around for a while but I can't recall the last time I saw influence from him in here.  So- consider yourself head operator for the time being

Edit: No need for reports if you're active enough that I can see what you're doing.  What would be nice is if we could kind of keep eachother in check and share the duties- both of us do our part with the recruits as well as look at the VENA-S account to make sure there's a reply going out to everyone who joins. 

-----------------------
*Flash Was Here...*

WC|NTO/LCP Shazam/Phoenix 1-1/Phoenix Wing/mSSD Atrus/1VENF/VEN (=A=) (=*SA*=) (=MA=) (=*FOCE*=) [CBV*] [LoM] [LSM] [MC2] [VC:S] [SV*] [DSM] {Platinum Writing Medal}

Phoenix Wing Commander and Training Officer
[This message has been edited by Shazam (edited June 28, 2007 12:39:39 AM)]
Jaden
ComNet Veteran

Jaden

[VE-NAVY] 2nd Lieutenant
[VE-VEEC] Gaming Division Head

Post Number:  1306
Total Posts:  1963
July 23, 2007 3:53:57 PM    View the profile of Jaden 
I'm going to start using this thread more fluently.  I'm looking into new recruting areas with Cosmic, and we may have a flux of about 30 recruits coming in within the next couple of weeks, so be ready to use this topic and list the following.

Who you're helping
What help they still need after you've helped them out
The dates that you started working with them and the dates that they actually got moved to a squadron
And any comments or other things about the pilots

Also, list if they have a certain squadron they want to join or not.

I'm thinking about more rewards for people who get recruits through the academy faster.  Possible medals or promotions?

I'm just saying, we in the VENA-S need to shape it up a bit because we may have some recruits coming in that we need to deal with.

So, Shazam, would you like me to start checking the VENA-S email, or should we leave it open to everyone?  I've still got the message in my inbox with all of the information about the email.
Jaden Khaar
SentinelSquadron
Naval Academy Executive Officer
-----------------------------------------------------------
SCM/2LT Jaden Khaar/Sentinel 1-1 (Sentinel 1)/STCR Doashim/1FLT/VEN/VE (=*A*=) (=*SA*=) (=*TE*=) (=*MA*=) [VC:S][LSM][SV](x2)[CBV](x3)[GWC][LoM]
TXO/2LT Jaden Khaar/Venom 1-2 (Venom 2)/Phoenix Wing/Platform Saratoga/DEF/VEN/VE (=*A*=) (=*SA*=) (=*TE*=) (=*MA*=) [VC:S][LSM][SV](x2)[CBV](x3)[GWC][LoM]
Shazam
ComNet Marshal

Shazam

[VE-NAVY] Line Captain
[VE-VEEC] Chief Reporter

Post Number:  3084
July 23, 2007 4:13:42 PM    View the profile of Shazam 
By all means- every member of the VENA-S is allowed to check and handle the VENA-S messages, as they are meant for us all.

I'd like to further emphasize that we should be getting people to welcome these new recruits- make people feel at home.  We don't want to miss out on people because they didn't feel like they were within a community.
*Flash Was Here...*

WC|NTO/LCP Shazam/Phoenix 1-1/Phoenix Wing/mSSD Atrus/1VENF/VEN (=A=) (=*SA*=) (=MA=) (=*FOCE*=) [CBV*] [LoM] [LSM] [MC2] [VC:S] [SV*] [DSM] {Platinum Writing Medal}

Jaden
ComNet Veteran

Jaden

[VE-NAVY] 2nd Lieutenant
[VE-VEEC] Gaming Division Head

Post Number:  1308
July 23, 2007 11:56:48 PM    View the profile of Jaden 
I'm saying that we REALLY need to stay on top of the e-mail, because thats where we fail most of the time.  Some people don't actually look at the main page and find out that we use the comnet as our main center for communication.  We should get a message bot for the navy...or atleast keep on top of it ALL the time.
Jaden Khaar
SentinelSquadron
Naval Academy Executive Officer
SCM/2LT Jaden Khaar/Sentinel 1-1 (Sentinel 1)/STCR Doashim/1FLT/VEN/VE (=*A*=) (=*SA*=) (=*TE*=) (=*MA*=) [VC:S][LSM][SV](x2)[CBV](x3)[GWC][LoM]
TXO/2LT Jaden Khaar/Venom 1-2 (Venom 2)/Phoenix Wing/Platform Saratoga/DEF/VEN/VE (=*A*=) (=*SA*=) (=*TE*=) (=*MA*=) [VC:S][LSM][SV](x2)[CBV](x3)[GWC][LoM]
Tomas
ComNet Initiate

Tomas

[VE-ARMY] Private
[VE-NAVY] Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post Number:  159
Total Posts:  553
July 24, 2007 7:15:33 AM    View the profile of Tomas 
Erm, I don't know about you but I have been. I usually have e-mails sent out by the next day at the latest. I have edited my welcome e-mail with the last new recruit, hopefully that helps things.
Warrant Officer 2nd Class 'Tomas' Dagoram
FL/WO2 Tomas/Nazgul 3-1/mSSS Atrus/VEN/VE
(=*A*=) (=*SA*=) [SoA] [MC1] [MC2] [MC2] [VC:B] [CBV] [SoV][DSM] [HSA]
Academy Operator (O-1)

"Fight on and fly on to the last drop of blood, the last drop of fuel, to the last beat of the heart."

Clearly Canadian!
Shazam
ComNet Marshal

Shazam

[VE-NAVY] Line Captain
[VE-VEEC] Chief Reporter

Post Number:  3089
July 27, 2007 1:43:10 PM    View the profile of Shazam 
Thas fine- let's try and be warm and not overlly technical though (not that I've seen anyone elses, but it's kind of a general thing).  I like seeing you guys posting on these threads, but maybe messaging them or e-mailing them after you've posted will help as well, though I think Tomas already does that actually.  I'll check into the bot.

Also- let's not give people the idea that other squadrons have dibs on certain members, especially since there aren't even any viable subjects yet.  Let's keep it under our roof.
*Flash Was Here...*

Reno Alakaz
ComNet n00b

Reno Alakaz

[VE-NAVY] Crewman

Post Number:  7
Total Posts:  31
August 20, 2007 2:13:49 PM    View the profile of Reno Alakaz 
Is there any way I can join once I finish training?
I am not real. How can you be talking to something that doesn't exhist.
Shazam
ComNet Marshal

Shazam

[VE-NAVY] Line Captain
[VE-VEEC] Chief Reporter

Post Number:  3131
September 1, 2007 12:11:05 AM    View the profile of Shazam 
Ask again in a couple of months?  Lol- we just prefer that folks have had some experience in both the active roster as well as gone through our training process: it provides us with proof of knowledge as well as reliability.  Seeings as that's true, I'd like to welcome C-3PX2 on as an Operator Level 1: we'll see if we can't get something worked out for the meeting this weekend.  Also- Tomas is to be promoted to an Operator Level 2: which basically gives him seniority over C and allows him more justified and unfettered authority to provide critique to new recruits as well as pass them through our chapters.  Any questions?
*Flash Was Here...*

[This message has been edited by Shazam (edited September 1, 2007 12:12:01 AM)]
C-3PX2
ComNet Cadet

C-3PX2

[VE-NAVY] Senior Chief Petty Officer

Post Number:  259
Total Posts:  619
September 1, 2007 11:02:11 PM    View the profile of C-3PX2 
Ok, heres my rough version of a welcome message for new recruits. I am not sure if i am missing anything, so if i am let me know.

Welcome to the Vast Empire Imperial Navy, (**INSERT NAME HERE**).
I am C-3PX2, I am a Vast Empire Imperial Naval Academy (VENA) Operator.

By posting here you have completed Imperial Initiation (II), the first step of your Basic Training (BT). The Next step in Basic Training is Flight School, the Final Phase of Basic Training. The first step in Flight School is Chapter 1: Character Development. This is where you create your character; their physical characteristics, history, ect. The link above is to the Flight School section of our Wiki, it has very useful information and I encourage you to read it about the area of training you are in.

Once you complete the Biography on your character, post it in this topic and it will be graded by a staff member of the VENA, after which they will move you on into the next section of Basic Training.

If you have any confusion, writers block, or problems with any of this just let any VENA Staff Member know, you can get in contact with a VENA Staff member though a Com-Net Private Message (in the message center), e-mail, or in IRC (using MIRC, the Java Client, or whatever program you use). Any way of communication works, and we would be more than happy to assist you if have any questions or concerns.

Should I add / remove / reword anything?
> : There is nothing wrong with fear.
> : You need never be ashamed of it, as long as it doesn't stop you functioning.
> : Fear is your natural warning system; it keeps you alive so
> : that you can can fight. Show me a man who isn't afraid,
> : and I'll show you a fool who is a danger to his entire ship.
===================================================================================
-= Kaph Squadron =- : "We have Great Faith in Each Other, It's Called Stupidity."
===================================================================================
EFL / SCPO C-3PX2  / Kaph 9 / Phoenix Wing (Wing 1) / mSSD Atrus / DEF / VEN / VE / (=A=), (=SA=), [MC2], [MC1]
Vast Empire Imperial Naval Academy Operation Level 1 (O-1)
[This message has been edited by C-4RX (edited September 1, 2007 11:05:25 PM)]
Cyleaf Aehait
ComNet Member

Cyleaf Aehait

Post Number:  330
Total Posts:  349
September 5, 2007 11:25:31 PM    View the profile of Cyleaf Aehait 
Hey Shazam and Jaden,
I think the VENA wiki needs an update. Demonic and I are still listed and these guys need to be on there
EFL/WO2/Cyleaf Aehait/Kaph 2-5/Phoenix Wing/mSSD Atrus/DEF/VEN/VE/(=*A*=)(=*SA*=)[MC1][BWC][SWC]

Cyleaf Aehait
ComNet Member

Cyleaf Aehait

Post Number:  335
September 15, 2007 12:49:01 AM    View the profile of Cyleaf Aehait 
Shazam I'd like to re-apply for my academy job again if it is possible.
EFL/WO2/Cyleaf Aehait/Kaph 2-5/Phoenix Wing/mSSD Atrus/DEF/VEN/VE/(=*A*=)(=*SA*=)[MC1][BWC][SWC]
Shazam
ComNet Marshal

Shazam

[VE-NAVY] Line Captain
[VE-VEEC] Journalist

Post Number:  3161
September 16, 2007 11:28:05 PM    View the profile of Shazam 
You may indeed if I see that you're also highly active in a squadron.  That's my only condition.  That goes for everyone else here as well, unless I expressly excuse you from doing that duty- otherwise: squadron comes first.  Welcome back, Cyleaf   And if you'd like- you can edit our wiki to fit our current staff?
*Flash Was Here...*

Cyleaf Aehait
ComNet Member

Cyleaf Aehait

Post Number:  336
September 17, 2007 4:58:14 PM    View the profile of Cyleaf Aehait 
Tomas, C3,

Here is some info I am going to need to edit the WIKI.

Contact Information:
messenger(nick name)

Credentials:
Other then your rank and position held I need exams completed and special accomdations(like top pilot ESC) also DJO if applicable(Tomas :P).

Once I get that info I'll edit the page.

Edit: You both are started, this includes a rank update for Shaz, Jaden and myself. I will being adding the medals in shortly.
[This message has been edited by Cyleaf Aehait (edited September 17, 2007 5:01:50 PM)]
[This message has been edited by Cyleaf Aehait (edited September 17, 2007 5:13:51 PM)]
Shazam
ComNet Marshal

Shazam

[VE-NAVY] Line Captain
[VE-VEEC] Journalist

Post Number:  3196
October 14, 2007 5:58:55 PM    View the profile of Shazam 
C-3: make sure you're getting that link in those introduction posts.  Also- try not to be so robotic?  Lol: using the same message in the e-mails might be alright, but try and add at least some kind of different introduction at the beginning of those intro post, just for a tiny bit of variety.  That'll keep it interesting for you as well as them; trying to get to know these recruits a little bit more might help them feel more at home as well.  Oh- and great job with the e-mail account: stay on top of it
*Flash Was Here...*

[This message has been edited by Shazam (edited October 14, 2007 11:39:53 PM)]
Tomas
ComNet Cadet

Tomas

[VE-ARMY] Private
[VE-NAVY] Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post Number:  231
October 18, 2007 11:20:57 PM    View the profile of Tomas 
Shaz, is my promotion to Trainer permanent or just while you are really busy?
Warrant Officer 1st Class 'Tomas' Dagoram
Squadron Commander of Viper Squadron
SC/WO1 Tomas/Viper 1-1/mSSS Atrus/VEN/VE
(=*A*=) (=*SA*=) [SoA] [MC1] [MC2] [MC2] [VC:B] [CBV] [SoV][DSM] [HSA]
Academy Operator (O-2)

"Fight on and fly on to the last drop of blood, the last drop of fuel, to the last beat of the heart."
"Brothers, what we do in life... echoes in eternity." - Gladiator

Clearly Canadian!
Shazam
ComNet Marshal

Shazam

[VE-NAVY] Line Captain
[VE-VEEC] Journalist

Post Number:  3222
October 19, 2007 1:32:00 AM    View the profile of Shazam 
I'm thinkin permanent, but you can always screw that up, lol.
*Flash Was Here...*

Cyleaf Aehait
ComNet Member

Cyleaf Aehait

Post Number:  347
October 19, 2007 2:12:50 AM    View the profile of Cyleaf Aehait 
Grats Tomas! Hey I still need that info to edit your wiki though.
FM/WO2/Cyleaf Aehait/Nazgul 2-6/Phoenix Wing/mSSD Atrus/DEF/VEN/VE/(=*A*=)(=*SA*=)[MC1][BWC][SWC]
Jaden
ComNet Veteran

Jaden

[VE-NAVY] 2nd Lieutenant

Post Number:  1374
October 23, 2007 6:37:41 AM    View the profile of Jaden 
Just dropping in real quick to see how the old VENA-S is doing, good to see you guys are getting recruits through the academy pretty well...nicely done.

Wish I could start to be more involved around here, but sometimes I just accept the fact that training really isn't my thing anymore.  I thought it was fun a while ago, but you guys seem to do a much better job than I did when I was in the Vast Empire Naval Avademy Staff.

Carry on
Jaden Khaar

Viper Squadron

We Fly, You Die

FM/2LT Jaden Khaar/Viper 1-3(Viper 3)/Phoenix Wing/mSSD Atrus/DEF/VEN/VE (=*A*=) (=*SA*=) (=*ME*=) (=*MA*=) [VC:S][LSM][SV](x2)[CBV](x3)[GWC][LoM]
Shazam
ComNet Marshal

Shazam

[VE-NAVY] Line Captain
[VE-VEEC] Journalist

Post Number:  3251
November 8, 2007 9:33:49 PM    View the profile of Shazam 
Thought I might ask for a kind of casual report from all of you folks- haven't seen Cyleaf in a long time so we'll definitely need to hear from him.  Regardless, I just need to hear where we're encountering difficulties, what needs to be fixed, etc- we'll be tackling those subjects this weekend.
*Flash Was Here...*

C-3PX2
ComNet Member

C-3PX2

[VE-NAVY] Master Chief Petty Officer
[VE-VEEC] Journalist

Post Number:  323
November 13, 2007 2:13:37 PM    View the profile of C-3PX2 
C-3PX2's Breif Report:

I am mostly planning on concentrating on getting the email account gotten to faster, and makin sure to get to new academy pilots, and helping them up to the AE1.
> : You need never be ashamed of it, as long as it doesn't stop you functioning.
> : that you can can fight. Show me a man who isn't afraid,
-= Viper Squadron =- : "We Fly, You Die.."
|| XO & FL / MCPO C-3PX2  / Viper 9 / Phoenix Wing (Wing 1) / mSSD Atrus / 1Fl / VEN / VE / (=A=), (=SA=), [MC2], [MC1] ||
|| Vast Empire Imperial Naval Academy Operation Level 1 (O-1) |=|=| Author / JRN C-3PX2 /Lotaith / VET / VE ||
Shazam
ComNet Marshal

Shazam

[VE-NAVY] Line Captain
[VE-VEEC] Journalist

Post Number:  3259
November 13, 2007 8:15:18 PM    View the profile of Shazam 
Remember that you can start out a wiki profile by entering their name into VEN wiki 'search' and then clicking "create page under this title" option, C-3; we want to avoid them having to switch from User: Name to the page with just their name.  Also, let's encourage our recruits to put some detail into their maneuvers answers; lastly- remind them that we continue to judge them a week after they've been placed into a squadron.  Thanks for the report, C.  Any problems or suggestions on your end, Tom?  I'm thinking we need to be adding to our list of maneuvers and tactics as well; I'll weed through our pages first, but we should revisit and try to expand a bit there, as most people will probably be able to use it.
*Flash Was Here...*

Shazam
ComNet Marshal

Shazam

[VE-NAVY] Line Captain
[VE-VEEC] Journalist

Post Number:  3272
November 22, 2007 7:25:28 PM    View the profile of Shazam 
Just thought I'd put these up here while we were still thinkin about 'em.

Thoughts for what's to come

* Take preventative measures to possible drop in Naval Activity

* Edit the entirety of the VENA Wiki so that it is consistant throughout, eliminating extraneous information and adding necessary points of information.

* Help provide active duty members with day to day activities by improving sections detailing jobs on the wiki (Fls, for example, might have an additional job to count career story posts over a month for their flight, etc)

* Find ways to eliminate overly monotonous jobs, such as VENA-S account (getting our introduction letter attached with the VE intro letter might be nice)

* Look for completion of medals and certificates to update Fleet Medal Board

* Finish wiki page on FOCE to ensure that it's place is understood and ready for future use

* First re-read and edit Pilot Skills and Studies for both grammatical/spelling type errors as well as to make additions to make the page more appealing.

* Perhaps try out Pilot Skills and Studies on a select few members before trying to integrate it into the system.

* Pilot Proficiencies will need a few beta tests as well

* Suggesting members come up with maneuvers and tactics that we do not currently have on our VENA pages; they can be real ones, totally fictional ones- whatev; we'd like to hear ideas in addition to the chapter 2 assignment

* Possibly make thread or article on Tactics for people to submit to so that we might provide greater examples on the wiki

* Creation of a Ship Captain's or Ship Crewman course to supply basic information, and then basic tactics and map drawing skills to commanders, if not to eventually build out into a more elaborate set of courses (hopefully nothing too over our heads though- we'll try and stay rigorous but straightforward)

* Potentially assign leaders for certain skills/studies groups or experts in fields of some of the Pilot Proficiencies (not weapons proficiencies)

- did I forget anything?
*Flash Was Here...*

Tomas
ComNet Member

Tomas

[VE-ARMY] Private
[VE-NAVY] Chief Warrant Officer

Post Number:  308
November 26, 2007 12:12:47 AM    View the profile of Tomas 
I am wondering, for the new recruits Wiki's...is the idea that we want them to learn how to use the Wiki so they can help in the future?

The reason I ask is that I could make a standard page and create (via copy and paste of code) a page for each pilot once they complete the third step of training.

Regardless, I will be updating the Character Page Tutorial wiki page to include Doc's templates.
Chief Warrant Officer 'Tomas' Dagoram
Imperial Guardian
Squadron Commander of Viper Squadron
SC/CWO Tomas/Viper 1-1/mSSS Atrus/VEN/VE
(=*A*=) (=*SA*=) [SoA] [MC1] [MC2] [MC2] [VC:B] [CBV] [SoV] [DSM] [HSA] [BoH] [LoM] [IG]
Academy Trainer (T-1)

"Brothers, what we do in life... echoes in eternity." - Gladiator
"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it."

Clearly Canadian!
Shazam
ComNet Marshal

Shazam

[VE-NAVY] Line Captain
[VE-VEEC] Journalist

Post Number:  3368
January 4, 2008 12:31:47 AM    View the profile of Shazam 
OOC:
This should handle the e-mails from now on; it'll be edited here and there to make room for changing circumstances and style factors here in the VENA, but it's main feel should remain pretty consistent.

Vast Empire Naval Academy
Abrae: Vectra System

From Academy Admissions Board

Pilot,

We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted into the Naval Academy on Abrae.  We are a unique entity of the Imperial Navy that is entrusted with the tasks of developing your abilities before placing you in an active duty squadron; our job will be to take you through Basic Training (BT).  Note that, though our BT program provides information, primarilly, on the writing aspect of the Navy (as that is our primary interest), our club does have some gaming and a growing D20 RPG network; I've heard it's pretty decent

Before we get into precisely what it is you're going to be doing with us at the Academy, I'd like to mention where you stand in terms of rank, position and possessions.  Just as every member does, you will begin your naval career at the bottom- Crewman (CRW), and the position known as Trainee.  However, upon completing BT, it's very likely you'll be promoted provided you put in the proper time and energy; people count on our leaders so we like to make sure people are promoted for the right reasons.  Note, however, that you're not perfectly poor- we've given you a starting balance of 1,000 ICs (Imperial Credits), an Imperial Pilot Flight Suit (combat uniform), DL-44 Blaster Pistol, 3 Ration packs, a 3-Mal Personal Comlink, 2 bottles of Mertine I anti-radiation treatment, and a pair of Imperial Boxer Shorts.  These items are to be used in the stories you'll be writing, so the more items you have, the more developed your stories become: use them wisely.  But back to training:

BT is actually broken into two parts: Imperial Initiation (II) and Flight School (FS).  The first, II, is fairly short and simply requires that you find your way to the ComNet (our message board- you can find it in the navigation on the left hand side of the VE home page) and create a thread in the room "Naval Academy" ComNet.  Note that this is the "Naval Academy" and not the "Navy Main ComNet."  All that you must say in this thread is a quick "hello," but you're certainly allowed to say a bit more, as this is your introduction to the Navy.  At that point, a member of the Vast Empire Naval Academy Staff (VENA-S) will leave instructions for the commencement of the FS portion of your Basic Training.  Flight School is our primary focus in BT- it shows you what, as a pilot, you will be equipped with during combat, some very basic tactics/maneuvers, and the need-to-knows on "squadron life," (how to create a report, etc.)  Upon completion of FS, and thus BT, you will be placed in an "active duty" squadron (either Nazgul or Viper to be exact).  From there begins the real fun of being a member of the Imperial Navy- competitions of several make and kind, opportunities to work with superiors on important VEN projects, opportunities to produce your own short fiction, and much, much more.  Below are a few of the upcoming events, but remember to go to the "Naval Academy" ComNet as soon as possible to ensure that we can get you through your training and into a squadron before you miss out on any of our possible competitions.  And, should you have any difficulties, simply e-mail the staff at [email protected]

Competitions
    - Joint Squadron Story (details to be released)
    - Last Man Standing Competition (Members are eliminated from stories based on activity; once eliminated, members must kill off their own character, in the simulator, during combat.)
    - Elite Squadron Competition (may or may not occur: Largest competition held by the Imperial Navy to decide which squadron is most elite and is to be given the title of "elite")

Welcome to the Imperial Naval Academy, Pilot.

-LCP Shazam (Commander of Phoenix Wing and Training)
*Flash Was Here...*

[This message has been edited by Shazam (edited January 10, 2008 9:03:07 PM)]
Shazam
ComNet Marshal

Shazam

[VE-NAVY] Line Captain
[VE-VEEC] Journalist

Post Number:  3433
February 12, 2008 9:06:57 PM    View the profile of Shazam 
Alright- haven't used this in a while, but I think we, as the staff, actually should use this quite a bit more.  My goal with the staff is for each member to act as an extension of another: in other words, where one person leaves off, one of the other members starts.  So: a couple of things-

If you guys are going on leave: even if it's for only two days or so, at the least: please leave a message here as well as on the leave forum- it'll help us to know if someone is ganna be able to pick up our slack or if we're ganna have to push it a bit further ourselves. 

Two

We really, really need to make sure that, after our first reply to a new member's thread, that we send them an e-mail.  It's a bit of extra work, I know, but I'm only asking you to do it for the first reply: you can do it for additional posts if you really want, but that first one is the absolute most important.  That's the one that reminds everyone: "Oh!  I joined the Vast Empire Navy!"

Back to that whole extension of every member bit: if you get the first reply to a thread but suddenly realize you have no time to send off that notification e-mail- you need to let others know that it hasn't been done.  The best way I can figure we do that is by leaving a sign for everyone else at the bottom of the post.  Thus, from now on, if you don't get that e-mail off because you can't, you need to leave: (E-Notify) at the bottom of the post.  And, please, if anyone sees that and that new member hasn't come back yet: e-mail them with the vena-s account.  Once you've done that, just leave a little quip on the thread- "I notified the recruit through e-mail for ya, Tom."  Somethin simple, but not robotic, lol.  I know this is kind of nitpicking, but really: I'd love for us to get to the point where we've got that kind of chain-reaction efficiency.

Quatro menos uno

Alright- everyone knows that the first reply to a new recruits thread is the one that gives them the basic instruction (always remember to include info and encouragement toward j or mIRC), the basic materials like the Flight School page.  That's great: but what happens after they're in and they complete a bio?  They just do their assignments and get out?  That's great the way we have it set up, yes, but it's kind of boring.  Rather, I'd like us to give our recruits the chance to experience more of the VE and VEN by giving them additional information outside of their training materials.  Just make little notes, preferably over these three topics and in similar formats (keeping them in a sequential order will make it a bit more uniform as well, so maybe sticking to this order would be good):

OOC:
Now, between your assignments and communications with others on IRC, we at the academy believe it's nice to have a little additional information; you can choose to take a peak or ignore the information entirelly, but we present it to you in the hopes that it'll help enrich the training process by making you more aware of the VE and its many service.  So, how bout we start out by explaining where you are in terms of position, rank and possessions/money.

Well, just as every member does, you will begin your naval career at the bottom- Crewman (CRW), and the position known as Trainee.  However, upon completing BT, it's very likely you'll be promoted provided you put in the proper time and energy; people count on our leaders so we like to make sure people are promoted for the right reasons.  Note, however, that you're not perfectly poor- we've given you a starting balance of 1,000 ICs (Imperial Credits), and some rather useful and/or interesting items.  Essentially, you use the money that earn to buy items; you'll be able to use these items in your stories so the more items you have, the more developed your stories become: use them wisely.

You might be wondering where you see and buy all of these items?  If you look down the left hand side of the main page in the navigation, you'll see that you have a First Galactic Bank account- that's where these items are stored.  The Imperial Center Store is the primary mode of purchasing for members in the VE- perhaps you'd like to shop around yourself?  Note that if you're short  on cash, the Pay Per Click link, also in the navigation, allows you to earn easy ICs and help the VE community at the same time; I think it's estimated you can earn about 9,000 ICs a day, so it might be nice, even if you're not strapped for cash.

OOC:
Also, should you find the time, now would be an excellent opportunity to get your wiki character profile created- you can find a walkthrough here.  If you have any questions about it, however, simply leave your questions here or contact us via IRC; most people could probably help you on IRC, specifically our staff in the #VENA room, actually.  Regardless, the wiki character profile doesn't have to be done for you to pass Basic Training and be placed in a squadron, so as long as you give a report and read those materials, then you can be placed into an active fighter group.  However, as this character page will have to be created eventually, getting a head start might be of interest to you if you find yourself without other activities to pursue.  If you're ever curious about where you are in those fighter groups, once you're assigned, simply check the Roster, found in that same left-hand navigation on the main page; once you're in, click the "Roster" option underneath "Imperial Navy."

This continued information, never done consecutively before the new member replies to a previous reply (we don't want to look like we're overloading them- it needs to be spread out evenly in a kind of every-other-member posting scheme), helps out in other ways.  The major one is that new members get to see more faces and become familiar with more folks: I hope you guys can encourage members to welcome new members through your own means.

FOUR

Note also that we need to remind recruits that, if they have maneuvers or tactics not seen on our pages, during chapter II that is, they can suggest them and, if we find them acceptable: we'll let them put them on the pages themselves.

5!

Can someone edit the wiki page on Pilot Proficiency to say what I just mentioned in "FOUR" ?  When they've done so, it's be awesome if they could notify us here.

Seis...

Almost done, lol.  Thought I'd mention, for the sake of clarification, that everyone, currently on the academy staff, is able to move members from chapter to chapter.  That is a rule we developed as we progressed into this new staffing style: operators on up can do that.  Note, however, that only myself and the TX can grade exams and place members.  If you have any questions about your roles: bring 'em up here, please, so that other people can find it if ever we have new members or whatever may be the scenario.

Sleven

Alright- finale, folks.  Do we all remember about a month or maybe less ago when we kind of went about assigning projects?  If I recall, C-3 was assigned to split up the pages between maneuvers and tactics, Ibram was working on the Pilot Skills and Studies and Ships/Fighters pages, and Tomas was doing what again?  I know you're all very busy and even reading this reply is time consuming, but an update on your progress, what it is exactly you're doing: that'd be superior.  I'm not ganna ask for reports, but something similar by just updating each other via this thread would be awesome.  Again: picking up where we leave off with one another.

I urge you to use this thread, stick around the #VENA room on IRC, and, if we can manage it, maybe look for one more recruit, preferably from Nazgul squadron.  Currently: we have no representation there: that needs to be worked on.  Replies on the topics above are my major concerns right now.  If you have any questions, comments or concerns: bring 'em up here: I don't wanna see 'em in my message center inbox.  Note, however, that you folks have been doing a spectacular job thus far: I'd like to see a bit more C-3 on the new recruit thread so it's not just myself, Tom and Ibram out there, but, again, I'm not totally aware of what's all being worked on by ya C: either way: let's help each other out folks.  Have a great week
*Flash Was Here...*

[This message has been edited by Shazam (edited February 12, 2008 9:23:20 PM)]
Ibram Tyrol
ComNet Initiate

Ibram Tyrol

[VE-NAVY] Petty Officer 1st Class
[VE-VEEC] Ink Slinger

Post Number:  157
Total Posts:  1563
February 13, 2008 6:40:39 AM    View the profile of Ibram Tyrol 
Wow, alot of information to process, but here are my thoughts:

Point 1 - fine, no objections here, will try my best to report absences/periods of busyness.

Point 2 - I just remembered, I'm not sure how to log into the VENA-S email account, so if you could pm me the details on that, please do.

Point 3 - I strongly disagree here. We give them enough information as it is. To the more casual RP'er i think if we tell them too much then they will shy off and not come back -
Having an entry exam is border-line excessive as it is, so lets not hit them with that straight away.

I think it would be more user-friendly if we condensed that information into a "Start-Up" guide thread on here, so that they can read it at their leisure.

They will discover the VE as they go, i think overloading them with information will do more damage then good. And a serious RP'er will be able to find it all out anyway.

Those that can't find out what they need too, well, do we really want them here anyway?

Point Four - fair enough

Point Five - Will do.

Point 6 - thanks for clarifying

Point 7 - Will do.
"I'm no Physician, but there appears to be a dagger through my chest."

- Innocence is the cost of Justice

Petty Officer 1st Class Ibram Tyrol
Viper Squadron "Captain's Own"
Flight 3 Leader
We fly, you die

-----------------------------------
VEN
FL/PO1 Tyrol/Viper 9/mSSD Atrus/1W/1FL/VEN/{=*A*=}{=*SA*=}/[NER]

VEEC
Ibram Tyrol/WS Ibram/Lotaith/VET/VE
Shazam
ComNet Marshal

Shazam

[VE-NAVY] Line Captain
[VE-VEEC] Journalist

Post Number:  3435
February 15, 2008 1:08:24 AM    View the profile of Shazam 
I really, really like your thoughts on Three, there, Ibram.  I'm trying to make this as simple as possible for you folks as well, and I know putting all that information up is a hassle- I could see that as I was trying it myself, lol; I'm just glad someone made a good suggestion.  As to the necessity: Ibram- I don't think any of this is necessary.  We put this academy in place for the sake of efficiency- otherwise we'd just have FLs do all of the teaching.  It's still my belief that the academy and FLs should really be partners in some ways, possibly by introducing some of this information as you mentioned (we already do that with the AE), but a lot of weight falls on the academy to ensure success at the squadron level- that requires interest.  Furthermore- we're a barrier.  As you were saying: if they can't stand a little trial by fire- do we want them here?  Most people don't have a problem with the exam, and if they do- well...  Fudge   And I understand that you think that information is overload: but it's not- we're not going to be forcing them to pay any attention to it whatsoever- not like the three chapters we already have.  While I agree that putting all of that information into every thread is obvious overkill- I think that information should be easily accessed, as you had said.

So here's what I think we should do: first- contact Kad to see if an e-mail is sent to new recruits about these programs and if we're just wasting our time.  If not- maybe we should suggest that one is sent or create a page that introduces new recruits to these elements of the VE (maybe we can help out the Army a bit as well by doing so).  If not that: then we create our own brief page for it on the Academy wiki, a "Start-Up" as you called it.  Whichever way they get that additional information, we'll simply refer to it like we do these other pages, continuing to frame it as "optional information."  Really- that's what it is, but we're also allowing ourselves the opportunity to better immerse and enrich our recruits experiences.  Is any of this necessary?  Again- no.  But we're a club- we're not a traditional business: we're not about a commodity.  While we produce a product, yes, it's not something we're trying to sell exactly- our product is our people: we're a group of people having a good time.  We expect things out of one another, like activity, but only so that we can be active as well. 

Everyone gets something different from this club: I simply wish to help familiarize people with some of this information so that we can better retain our new recruits by holding their interest long enough to at least try the posting bit.  It won't be in the way, it won't be overexerting- it'll be helpful.  Who knows what it might be, but certain aspects of this site are just captivating- they're awe inspiring enough to help people stick around a bit longer: props to Kad for that, of course.  I mean, we always need to keep in mind that we may very well be someone's first stop on the RPG trail: it certainly was for me- and I'd say I was a pretty serious RP'er by the time I finished my SC position up.  I loved the IC, personally
*Flash Was Here...*

[This message has been edited by Shazam (edited February 15, 2008 1:12:47 AM)]
[This message has been edited by Shazam (edited February 15, 2008 2:49:55 AM)]
[This message has been edited by Shazam (edited February 15, 2008 2:53:36 AM)]
C-3PX2
ComNet Member

C-3PX2

[VE-VEEC] Ghostwriter

Post Number:  402
February 19, 2008 6:43:02 AM    View the profile of C-3PX2 
Sorry for my recent lack of activity, computer issues mixed with work had taken alot of time away.

I am still working on getting some images made for the Pilot Skills and Studies, along with the separation of the Maneuvers and Tactics (along with the addition of new ones as well). Those are in the process of being finished, and I will let you know when they are.

As far as the getting the messages into the Welcome topics, I should be doing it... i havent, but i should. I plan to try to get those in, in the very near future (if not ... er... now).

Currently ... the CTC (Trade Side school) dosent block the VE, so i should be good to be able to get on in the morning, and then after school.
> : that you can fight. If you show me a man who isn't afraid,
  -= Viper Squadron =- : "The Captain's Own" | "We Fly, You Die."
|| XO & FL / WO2 C-3PX2  / Viper 5 / Phoenix Wing (Wing 1) / mSSD Atrus / 1Fl / VEN / VE / (=A=), (=SA=), (=TE=), [MC2], [MC1], [BoH], [BWC], [IG], [NER] ||
|| Vast Empire Imperial Naval Academy Operator - Trainer Level 1 (T-1) |=|=| Author / GW C-3PX2 /Lotaith / VET / VE ||
Shazam
ComNet Marshal

Shazam

[VE-NAVY] Line Captain
[VE-VEEC] Journalist

Post Number:  3458
February 20, 2008 11:04:47 PM    View the profile of Shazam 
Thought I'd let you boys know I'd be gone tomorrow (Thursday) as well as, most probably, Friday.  I should be back by the weekend, however; I may not be around Monday and Tuesday as well.  Feel free to burn this place to kingdom come while I'm away- though: just keep the cats out of the garage and clean up when you're done.
*Flash Was Here...*

Shazam
ComNet Marshal

Shazam

[VE-NAVY] Line Captain
[VE-VEEC] Journalist

Post Number:  3474
February 28, 2008 9:54:36 PM    View the profile of Shazam 
Alright, couple of assignments for those of you who are interested:

- Intro Page describing all that extra info we decided not to include in every single new recruit thread, lol.  I'll see if I can't do that myself this weekend, but if anyone's willing, I won't stop ya.

- On the maneuvers page: reading through it for grammatical and spelling errors.  Also, if you could, write up a brief intro at the top of the page talking about the differences between using maneuvers in space and using them atmosphere, then, maybe, make a key for the maneuvers below.  For instance, any maneuver with {A} next to it could be for atmosphere only, and then maneuvers that can also be used in space would be given {S} .  Don't follow those signs if you don't like 'em, lol- be creative, whatev, but I noticed that people are just putting up maneuvers without considering their actual use.  For instance, a barrel roll doesn't slow you down in space: it might be nice to let people know that without having to tell every single recruit through their threads.

- Splitting the Maneuvers and Tactics page: I know C-3 is on it, but I'll try and help out if I can and anyone else is certainly welcome.

- Ibram is working on the Skills and Studies program; I think he's really got his head in the game there, so I'm not ganna mess with it.

- I think I assigned this to Tomas, but Tom is as busy as we all are and if we can split the work- why not?  Anywho, updating our list of fighters and ships, or did we have that pretty much handled?

- Last thing if someone gets bored: check down the roster and compare those names to the names on the list of Naval Members on the wiki: see if everyone has an updated wiki profile; I think some people might not even have one.

Also, if we could get a brief update/report every week, about Friday actually, as to what we've seen out of the week- where we've had problems, what we've gotten done: I think we'll be able to see our progress and our shortcomings far more clearly.  Keep up the excellent work, staff.  Also- let's find someone from Nazgul- I'm thinkin Gshlecc, to help out.  Anyone wanna see if he's interested?

(Edit: Reminder to myself, lol: we have a problem with the welcome e-mail.  We need to, both, get the welcome e-mail changed so that it directs folks to the ComNet, not the academy site and, also, change the academy site so that it's not just a place-holder anymore put the Academy we have set up on the wiki.  That needs to be changed through the Naval Site; I talked to Heth about it a while ago, but the TFA was consuming most conversation, so now that things have settled down I think we can get it done.  Remind me if it keeps coming up- hopefully I won't forget after speaking about it.)
*Flash Was Here...*

[This message has been edited by Shazam (edited February 28, 2008 11:06:52 PM)]
ComNet > Imperial Navy > Archived Naval Academy > VENA-Staff Topic  |  New Posts    
  Pages:  [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ]   

All times are CST. The time now is 5:19:18 AM
Comnet Jump:

Current Online Members - 0  |  Guests - 389  |  Bots - 1

< Contact Us - The Vast Empire >