Topic:  We Got Him
Afyon
ComNet Member

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant First Class

Post Number:  718
Total Posts:  981
  RE: We Got Him
January 13, 2004 4:07:47 PM    View the profile of Afyon 
Um the US did more than peddle grenades to Iraq....do some reading chipmunk and try not reading right-wing american propaganda.

-----------------------
ASL/GSG_Afyon/Dark Dragoon Squad/2PLT/1COM/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE/[LoC][IH][CoH][SoA]
Rema
ComNet Member

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant

Post Number:  858
Total Posts:  1056
January 13, 2004 4:56:03 PM    View the profile of Rema 
No fair Fury, i wanted to say it!

But he is right guys. If it had not been for the French in the American Revolution, everyone in the US would be hailing the Queen of England. In WW2 we just paid them back by giving back their country.

-----------------------
"Only Trust your Allies as much as you can Predict your Enemies."
"We need Boots! Good Boots! The kind of Boots your mother used to make!"
"Luke, I am your Fasha."
To Nom Anor, a truly superior Yuuzhan Vong.
TRP/CPL_Rema/Dark_Dragoons/2PLT/1COM/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE [LoR][OPE] [AM-B][AM-S][AM-P][SoA][IH]
Hashi Shiyun
ComNet Member

[VE-ARMY] Senior Sergeant

Post Number:  539
Total Posts:  779
January 13, 2004 11:16:32 PM    View the profile of Hashi Shiyun 
Ohhh suure bring the Queen of England into this, Rema.

-----------------------
TRP/SGT Hashi Shiyun/1SQD/2PLT/1COM/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE [IH] [SoA] [LoR]
Raziel
ComNet Member

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-DJO] Dark Jedi Knight (DJK)

Post Number:  864
Total Posts:  2873
January 14, 2004 3:05:07 AM    View the profile of Raziel 
Damn those frenchmen! Hail our Queen you fools!!

-----------------------
SL/SGMTRaziel/4SQD/1COMP/1BAT/1RGT/Tadath/VEA/ {EW1} {WoS} {VP} {IG} {CDS} {BoA}
Assistant Squad Leader - Squad4 Wraiths
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989.
Fury
ComNet Overlord

[VE-ARMY] High General
[VE-VEHC] High General*

Post Number:  1578
Total Posts:  2689
January 14, 2004 9:40:44 AM    View the profile of Fury 
What has she done for me lately?

That is, if you excuse the fun stories of the psycho family dog.

-----------------------
PRF/GEN Fury/VEA/TADATH/VE [SCP][PoC][SotE:HC][SotE:VEA][IOC]
Prefect - Stormtrooper Corps
Administrator - Imperial Center
Kuroishi
ComNet Member

Post Number:  589
Total Posts:  948
January 14, 2004 10:07:36 AM    View the profile of Kuroishi 
Let me see about addressing the various issues:

War:
I consider myself a realistic pacifist.

Basicly what that means is I'd rather not fight or see war but there are times when there are no better alternatives.

We gave Afghanastan and Iraq so much warning that we were going in there that the reasons for us going in there could have been hidden or moved somewhere else.

As such I never really agreed with those wars.

Sure the people of those nations are rid of oppresive regimes but they may as well be flying the American flag rather then thier own.

Afghanastan got the better end of that deal to me, but still they dance when we tell them to.

Is that such a bad thing?

Perhaps not, perhaps so.  Only history will tell.

The UN:
We can't forget Russia in the equasion for arms dealers for Iraq either.

Now the idea of removing veto power from the UN will not come about for a long time but I think it is the biggest problem the UN has to fix.

The first attempt at something like the UN was the Leage of Nations.  It didn't work because none of the big nations would back up the mandates they passed and so it fell apart and after World War II the UN came into being.  Originaly it was invisioned as a place where nations could get together and prevent such massive wars from ever being fought again.  With the changing political climate they began doing more and more.  They have done some good work but they have also obviously failed.  The only occasion that I can think of where the UN succeded militarily was in Korea 1953 and American forces made up 95% of the military presance in that war.

Presidents/World Leaders:
In out last presidential ellection it was between a republican and one of the most extreme environmentalists I've ever heard of.  I voted for niether but personally I'm glad we got the republican.

Of course France, Germany, and Russia want to protect thier forgien trade, the US would do nothing different.  The US was getting tired of people saying "No we won't hand over what you want us to."

NATO has actually been a bit more reliable then the UN.  Sure members of the UN haven't been supporting us but a lot more have been supporting us.

As far as telling nations to take a hike when trying to bid on contracts for rebuilding Iraq, I totally agree when it comes to nations that have not put anything on the line.  Nothing ventured nothing gained.  It's our money so we should have total say on who gets it.

-----------------------
Kuroishi Wraith VEA
Daishi Raptor VEN
Assistant Writer Why Project Copyright Infringment
Ich bin hessliche amerikaner.
Nehmen mir zu dein frauen von vernunftig preis tugendhafte.
"And the sound of many heads hitting many solid objects was heard throughout the land." me
JMac
ComNet Veteran

[VE-NAVY] Lt. Commander (LCM)

Post Number:  1029
Total Posts:  1216
January 14, 2004 11:24:25 AM    View the profile of JMac 
Fury, the American Revolution was basically this.

A bunch of pissed off farmers waved pitchforks at the most powerful nation on the planet, and then miraculously won, due to luck, the stupidity of their opponent's nations and tactics, and a few brilliant tacticians that were willing to fight dirty instead of like gentlemen.  To be fair though, we still aren't quite sure how we won.

The French really didn't do all that much.  The delivered the final blow after we already had them on the run, prolly shortening the war but not really winning it.  They gave us some money.  The thing is, they didn,'t do it for us. They did it because they hated Britain, and because they wanted a weak country in here so that they could move in and take over.

It is hardly fair to call our President a clown, nor to call the War in Iraq a mess.  The city of Chicago lsot more people to homicide last year then we lost in Iraq.  The rebuilding of Japan took awhile, but look where it got them.  Also, Bush has done a great job given the circumstances, I don't even want to think of what would have happened had Gore been President.

Also, there is a big diff between our contracts and France and Germany's.

1.  The money is going to the people, not to furnish more palaces.

2.  We aren't selling weapons that we have already agreed in the precious UN that they couldn't have.

Fury, I actually watch a good bit of CNN and a few other news networks, not just Fox.

When have I ever said anything about NATO?  My comments are anything but isolationist, I think we should stay involved in the world.  Just not by giving up our soveirnty to the UN.

BTW:  I see a great deal more then 15 countries on that page, in fact most of the countries that really take part in world affairs are represented there.  Exactly which countries are not on that should be? 
-----------------------
LCM_TO_ JMac/(=A=)(=SA=)(=MA)(=FOCE=)(MC1)(VC)

Naval Training Officer

Go Army, beat Navy!

Cats run at the sound of my name
[This message has been edited by JMac (edited January 14, 2004 11:34:52 AM)]
Fury
ComNet Overlord

[VE-ARMY] High General
[VE-VEHC] High General*

January 14, 2004 1:39:40 PM    View the profile of Fury 
Let me put it bluntly.  My brother is going to go to Iraq and get shot at, maybe killed.  When you can step up and have a personal investment in a combat zone, ONLY THEN do you have the f*cking right to tell me who I can call a clown and what I can call a mess.  The end on that subject.

As for those contracts.  No one asked the companies of this country if they wanted to go to war.  To extend that, no other country asked their companies the same thing.  Contracts are being given to corporations, not governments, and to restrict that is basically saying everything we preach about free trade is a joke.  Yeah, I don't have to like it, but literally, put your money where your mouth is.  Restricting a company because of where it is headquartered is completely ridiculous.  Remember your "principles" next time you buy gas at Shell, okay?

As for whether or not Gore would've done a better job, I don't know.  We'd be cooperating more with the world, there'd be no confrontational "Axis of Evil", and he would've given the rest of us as a nation more to do than shop and ride on airplanes as our national duty.  Aside from that, maybe the speeches would be more dull.  Remember, we praise Bush more for his top-notch staff than for what he himself can do.  I imagine Madeleine Albright would still be kicking ass over at State if Gore was in charge.

And going back to the list of nations supporting us, only 15 are rating as sending troops into the mess (yes, I said it again).  I can lament the state of affairs in the world too, but I damn well only get judged by my actual participation in changing injustice.  The same rule should apply to nation states.

And, we can agree to disagree on the Revolution, but I expect you should read some actual books on the subject before saying "only" money and some troops were all France gave.  It might have been largely ineffectual but it kept the cause going when it may not have otherwise.

-----------------------
Afyon
ComNet Member

January 14, 2004 1:47:18 PM    View the profile of Afyon 
ok 1. watch news stations outside the US...ones that lack pro-america flag waving right-wing propaganda.  BBC, CBC, Reuters are a good start.

2. China, Russia, Japan, Australia, India, Pakistan are an example of the many world players who are not in NATO.

3. Being in the UN does not give up your soverignty, it instead acknowledges that your country and its citizens are part of the world and the world's people and are not superior or inferior to any other country or people.  Every human is equal...period.  The problem is that too many arrogant, ignorant, and stuck pricks fail to recognise this.

4. Why cant this comnet show previous commnets at the bottom so I can remember what I wanted to comment on.

5. The League of Nations failed because it was flawed is a statement that is only partly true.  One has to understand the beliefs and values of the time when countries like the US were isolationist and Britain and France were simply willing to appease out of fear and lack of will to make a stand.  In today's UN, countries do take a stand.  It is not perfect, it certainly needs reform and I say the SC should be expanded and the veto must go.  I think perhaps maybe there should be a three permanent members from each continent 6 others voted in for a total of 21.

Proposed Permanent Members (I give 4 possible options for each continent):

Europe: Great Britain, Russia, Germany or France
Asia: China, Japan, Australia or India
North America: Canada, USA, Mexico (ran out of good ideas)
South America: Brazil, Argentina, Chilie or Peru
Africa: South Africa, Syria, Iran, Nigeria or Saudi Arabia (many other good ones in this area but I am against Israel being on the SC...thats just my preference)

6. Grr...damn comnet

7. Ok time to look at comments and come back with more thoughts...Ill reply more later.

-----------------------
Afyon
ComNet Member

January 14, 2004 1:54:45 PM    View the profile of Afyon 
Oh ya, restriction the right of corporations to gain contracts in Iraq based upon where their center of opreations is located is a violation of free trade.  Although I must say the US doesnt seem to be overly thrilled with free trade in some regards *looks at the illegal tariff on softwood lumber* <== yep still there.  Also claming that a lower valued currency, universal healthcare, and other such things are a violation of trade in order to help bring about tariffs is also just slightly contrary to the principles of free trade.

Iraq is a free country...or so the so-called "liberators" say.  In that case it free to work within the world just like anyother country.  And anyother country is free to work within it.  Therefore there is no argument as to why contracts should be restricted.  To restrict is to become a symbol of an empie, a lmassive nation which collects and shares the "spoils of war" with its allies instead of being part of the world and allowing all to get a chance.

-----------------------
Afyon
ComNet Member

January 14, 2004 1:57:52 PM    View the profile of Afyon 
If you think Al Gore is an extreme environmentalist, you are more right-wing than I imagined.  Come to Canada and see how the NDP are like.  They are so environmentalist that even I have trouble stomaching some of their proposed policies.  Of course that has slightly to do with my knowledge of economics but still...in my "radical-leftist fundamentalist" opinion, they still push it a bit too far.

Look at all the pollution and sludge in the environment from over production.  Also cancer rates, asthma rates, etc are on the rise from this.  I dont know about you but I have asthma...its not fun.  Also I am really not in the mood to die from cancer because of people's disregard for the environment.  If you want to live a healthy life, promote a healthy environment.

-----------------------
Kuroishi
ComNet Member

Post Number:  589
Total Posts:  948
January 14, 2004 5:20:07 PM    View the profile of Kuroishi 
I'll say it again it is our money, we should have a say in who gets to do what with it.

It may be unfair but if there wasn't anything put at risk by those countries then thier companies which pay taxes to said government shouldn't get a share of the spoils.

Someone somewhere made a comment about NATO being a bit disfunctional in this current round.

In all things there must be a balance.

The BBC is better then most American news agencies but it is still biased toward the anglo-american perspective.

Iraq isn't pretty, anyone who says it is doesn't have a very good source of information.  It isn't nearly as bad as Vietnam though.

-----------------------
Kuroishi Wraith VEA
Daishi Raptor VEN
Assistant Writer Why Project Copyright Infringment
Ich bin hessliche amerikaner.
Nehmen mir zu dein frauen von vernunftig preis tugendhafte.
"And the sound of many heads hitting many solid objects was heard throughout the land." me
Afyon
ComNet Member

January 14, 2004 6:21:31 PM    View the profile of Afyon 
Id watch Al-Jizira (sp?) cept I dont understand Arabic.  If I could get it translated I would definitely watch it a lot for a different angle.  BBC isnt toobad and I like CBC...its about the best you can do for an english language station.

-----------------------
Fury
ComNet Overlord

[VE-ARMY] High General
[VE-VEHC] High General*

January 14, 2004 8:12:38 PM    View the profile of Fury 
Their website is in English and is up when our hackers aren't hitting it.

-----------------------
Raziel
ComNet Member

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major

Post Number:  864
Total Posts:  2873
January 15, 2004 2:59:17 AM    View the profile of Raziel 
another point: would anyone mind if we wiped out all the troublesom hackers in europe and the us? no one would notice
j/k

ps i do apologise for the pointlessness of my comments

-----------------------
SL/SGMTRaziel/4SQD/1COMP/1BAT/1RGT/Tadath/VEA/ {EW1} {WoS} {VP} {IG} {CDS} {BoA}
Assistant Squad Leader - Squad4 Wraiths
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989.
[This message has been edited by Raziel (edited January 15, 2004 3:03:29 AM)]
JMac
ComNet Veteran

January 15, 2004 7:13:14 AM    View the profile of JMac 
Fury, I apologize about offending you.  Right now I do not have any family over there, but that does not mean that I believe in what I say any less.  I don't say things that I don't mean.  I am graduating on June 12.  On July 1 I will be taking an oath to defend the Constitution of the United States from all enemies, foreign and domestic. 

The Iraqi government will be able to make their own contracts when there is a working government, something that hasn't happened just yet.  Right now they are working on a Constitution, and then we will let them take over and they can do whatever they want.

Gore isn't an environmentalist extremist, just a weasel that changes his position constantly.  he said in one of his books that it would be the best thing ever to happen if we suddenly ran out of oil.  Then, he talked of how great it was to release the oil reserves during the oil shortage. 

I have read several books on the Revolution.  The French did help us a bit, don't get me wrong, but we would have won without them, it jsut would have taken a bit longer.

As for the Coalition, those 15 countries are the 15 that typically put up the troops and money anyway.  Not too big a difference between this and a peacekeeping action.

-----------------------

Naval Training Officer

Go Army, beat Navy!

[This message has been edited by JMac (edited January 15, 2004 7:26:24 AM)]
chipmunk man
ComNet Member

[VE-NAVY] Petty Officer 2nd Class (PO2)

Post Number:  930
Total Posts:  2064
January 21, 2004 2:44:40 PM    View the profile of chipmunk man 
Fury, while I do not currently have family serving in Iraq, a good friend from one of my Civil War reenacting regiments is a member of the Reserves, and currently is in a cliff-hangar as to whether or not they will be shipped out. I too will find myself in the military. Whether in the PA Guard or Army Reserves depends on who places the better scholarship bid.

In any case, I am through debating. All that results is that both sides get pissed. It sometimes is to the point that I just want to beat the living snot out of some people, and I'm sure that others feel the same about me. To avoid future cyber-violence and other general hard feelings, I shall attempt to refrain from the debate except to clarify historical facts. And yes, I will try to site legitimate sources when available.

Speaking of extreme enviromentalists, has anyone read Rainbow Six by Tom Clancy? Awsome book. Took me awhile to piece all the parts of the plot-puzzle together.

-----------------------
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstien

"There is a certain kind of peace that can be found only on the other side of war." -Sean Connery as King Arthur

FL/PO2 Chipmunk Man/Kaph 3-1/Phoenix/mSSD Atrus/DEF/VEN/VE/(=A=)[LoC][MC:1]
Afyon
ComNet Member

January 28, 2004 2:13:28 PM    View the profile of Afyon 
Even though Tom Clancy is a right-wing, insanely patriotic, militaristic nut (or so his books seem to indicate)...I still love his books

Rainbow 6 was good...it wasnt my favourite though by far.

-----------------------
Fury
ComNet Overlord

[VE-ARMY] High General
[VE-VEHC] High General*

January 28, 2004 10:40:47 PM    View the profile of Fury 
Yeah, sometimes you have to separate the person from the product.

I was just saying the same thing about Clancy a couple days ago...more or less.

Still not sure what to do about Dennis Miller though.  He wasn't really all that funny anyway, so no big loss I guess.

-----------------------
JMac
ComNet Veteran

January 29, 2004 6:12:53 AM    View the profile of JMac 
I'm not really sure what Clancy's political views are, but he does write great books.  Personally, I like Without Remorse best.

-----------------------

Naval Training Officer

Go Army, beat Navy!

Lukas_Yuy
ComNet Cadet

[VE-ARMY] Lance Corporal

Post Number:  245
Total Posts:  504
January 29, 2004 6:28:10 AM    View the profile of Lukas_Yuy 
I kind of like his books but sometimes they drag on and on about a lot of details. Someone could like it but I really don't. The Op-Center books I like but sometimes I get lost because It switches from place to place without me knowing it.

-----------------------
Name: Lukas Yuy
TRP/PFC Lukas Yuy/4SQD/2PLT/1COMP/1BAT/VEA/VE
Squad: Wraith
Rema
ComNet Member

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant

Post Number:  858
Total Posts:  1056
January 29, 2004 6:52:26 AM    View the profile of Rema 
*coughrainbowsixcough*

-----------------------
"Only Trust your Allies as much as you can Predict your Enemies."
"Do you expect me to talk?" "No Mr. Bond, i expect you to die."
"Luke, I am your Fasha."
To Nom Anor, a truly superior Yuuzhan Vong.
TRP/CPL Rema/2SQD/2PLT/1COM/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE [LoR][OPE] [AM-B][AM-S][AM-P][IH][SoA]
Arturus
ComNet Member

[VE-NAVY] Ensign (ESN)

Post Number:  887
Total Posts:  2143
January 29, 2004 9:10:46 AM    View the profile of Arturus 
My 3 favourite books by him are:

Red Storm Rising
Without Remorse
The Sum of All Fears

-----------------------
FM/ESN_Arturus/Kaph 1-4/Phoenix Wing/M-SSD_Atrus/VE/VEN/(=a=)(=sa=)(=jcpa=)(=scpa=)[MC:1][SV][BRC][LoC]
ComNet > Neutral Messages > Archived Lounge > We Got Him  |  New Posts    
  Pages:  [ 1 2 3 ]   

All times are CST. The time now is 2:40:12 AM
Comnet Jump:

Current Online Members - 0  |  Guests - 111  |  Bots - 2

< Contact Us - The Vast Empire >