Topic:  We Got Him
Rema
ComNet Member

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant

Post Number:  858
Total Posts:  1056
  RE: We Got Him
December 25, 2003 6:38:25 PM    View the profile of Rema 
Its the name of the company that good ole Dick "Im having a heart attack" Cheny was the CEO of.

-----------------------
"Only Trust your Allies as much as you can Predict your Enemies."
"We need Boots! Good Boots! The kind of Boots your mother used to make!"
"Luke, I am your Fasha."
To Nom Anor, a truly superior Yuuzhan Vong.
TRP/LCPRema/3SQD/2PLT/1COM/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE[LoR][OPE] [AM-B][AM-S][AM-P]
Otto Vox
ComNet Member

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant First Class
[VE-DJO] Dark Jedi Knight (DJK)

Post Number:  866
Total Posts:  1390
December 27, 2003 7:28:57 PM    View the profile of Otto Vox 
Sorry about my little outburst. I was a bit irritated that night, and rececntly because of the crappiness of my computer I just scroll down to the closest post to the bottom, caught that one, and didn't think to scroll up to what it was referring to. So totally ignore, or at least forgive, that first part of my post. The second paragraph still stands in my opinion though

-----------------------
Sergeant First Class Otto Vox
Dark Jedi Knight
Former Squad Leader - Iron Horse
Vast Empire Army Reserves
SFC Otto Vox/[LM][ES][SoS]
CM/DJK Otto Vox/Krath/Lion 1-4/VEDJ
Give into the inferno that is the Dark Side of the Force.-Otto Vox
Rema
ComNet Member

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant

December 27, 2003 9:03:00 PM    View the profile of Rema 
Dont appologize. What you said in the 1st paragraph was true.

-----------------------
"Luke, I am your Fasha."
Otto Vox
ComNet Member

December 28, 2003 7:10:01 PM    View the profile of Otto Vox 
True, but there wasn't any reason for it, because there wasn't anything said that I was replying to. I lashed out at blah because I thought he was saying something he wasn't, that's what I was apologizing for.

And chip, I don't think anything, I know there was no evidence, Cheney himself said that the government had no evidence of any WMD's. Whether or not Saddam used them in the past has no relivence to the fact that the government had no evidence that Saddam had those weapons back in March. The heads of the United States lied to their own people to get their own way, and that is not right.

-----------------------
Dark Jedi Knight
[This message has been edited by Otto Vox (edited December 28, 2003 7:11:30 PM)]
Rema
ComNet Member

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant

December 28, 2003 11:17:59 PM    View the profile of Rema 
Yep. Thats it in a nutshell.

Is it Cheny or Cheney?
Heh, i live in the country and i dont even know how to spell his name.

-----------------------
"Luke, I am your Fasha."
Otto Vox
ComNet Member

January 2, 2004 10:00:15 PM    View the profile of Otto Vox 
Cheny, just asked my mother, it's Cheny. But yeah, I totally feel ya

-----------------------
Dark Jedi Knight
JMac
ComNet Veteran

[VE-NAVY] Lt. Commander (LCM)

Post Number:  1029
Total Posts:  1216
January 5, 2004 11:25:15 AM    View the profile of JMac 
Wow, this thread exploded while I was out.  Lessee, where do I begin.

First off, we are not hated becasue of our attitude towards other nations, (well, maybe by France, but that's just becasue they have superpower envy.)  We are hated for a few reasons that vary Depending on Area.  In that particular part of the world, we are hated because we support Israel, and they hate Israel.  It certainly isn't because of "exploitation" any such nonsense, we pour money into those countries.  The only real exploitation is done to us by OPEC.

Secondly, we aren't in this for the oil companies, no matter how much protestors rant.  The oil is being given to the Iraqui people, thus no real profit for the oil companies.  Basically, they are going to become as rich as Saudi Arabia, and we aren't going to get much more from them  then we did from the Saudis.

Thirdly, just because we haven't found the WMDs doesn't mean that they weren't and aren't there.  There is no question that he wanted them and was trying to make them, which by itself is scary.  There is no question that he had the money, just look at his lifestyle and palaces (pre-spiderhole, that is.)  Because we haven't found them yet, everyone is shouting that we lied and that they were never there.  They overlook the fact that it is incredibly hard to find relatively small devices in a country that size.  There is evidence that he had them.  There is evidence that he was trying to buy them.  We have found mobile labs, though they were scoured clean.  It is fallacy to say that they weren't there.

Fourthly, if there is such a word, the Iraqi people undoubtably wanted us there.  Just look at all the celebrations and happy people.  They hated Saddam, and wanted help.  The problem was, they asked once before, Bush Sr. promised them help, was to much of a (*)&^()* to stay there, and they were massacard.

-----------------------
LCM_TO_ JMac/(=A=)(=SA=)(=MA)(=FOCE=)(MC1)(VC)

Naval Training Officer

Viva el gato mojado!!!

Semper Fidelis
Otto Vox
ComNet Member

January 5, 2004 1:13:41 PM    View the profile of Otto Vox 
So, what you're saying is, just because a country wishes to make or buy WMD, they should be invaded and the leadership demolished? Ok, then when's that going to happen to the US? When's that going to happen to Enlgand or Russia? Never, ya wanna know why? Because we're all super-powers and like to pick on the little guy. We're all allies, and we don't want any country that might even in the slightest be our enemy to have weapons, because we wanna be the big guys, the policemen of the world. If you looked at the amount of nuclear weapons the US alone has, you'd be more frightened of it than Iraq having some. I personally fear for the day that some idiot attacks the US, and an even more idiotic president, God forbid we get someone more stupid than Dubbyah, launches a nuke at 'em, and nuclear war would commense, bringing down nuclear winter. That's what scares me.

Yes, I believe that Saddam is a horrible man, and I'm glad he's out of power in Iraq, but honestly, would he be stupid enough to attack a country that we thought to be our allies? Cause if he did, anyone with a quarter of a brain knows that Iraq would become Lake America in the Middle East. Reduced to nothing but a huge crater. And America would live on with a bloody hand.

-----------------------
Dark Jedi Knight
Afyon
ComNet Member

Post Number:  718
Total Posts:  981
January 5, 2004 1:47:28 PM    View the profile of Afyon 
Keep in mind one thing, even if Saddam Hussein did have a nuclear weapon, what are the odds he might use it.  Logic says a dictator tries to hold power at all costs.  Wouldit make sense to use his nuke and bring on a storm of nukes in response from the US? Thats pure suicide.

And also, the US claimed it knew that these weapons existed and that it had intel as to their whereabouts.  YOu cant tell me they didnt go to their must suspected areas first.  Face it, they just arent there cause the inspectors did their job and Saddam may or may not have been slightly afraid and pulled a silent Libya.

The US is a superpower, that isnt the real problem.  The problem is it tries to act like the world's bully...i mean police force...and exert its influence militarily on smaller states that it can easily walk over.  If the US cared about human rights, weapons of mass destruction, non-democratic dictatorial regimes...tell me something.

Who is more an offender this criteria, China or Iraq.  Strange you dont here threats towards China or is that because its not a tiny nation the US can easily bully in order to satisfy its thrist for power and dominance.

Also, if the US cared so much about Iraq having WMDs, why then did they supply Iraq with the agents needed to make them.  Funny how the US servers its interests to the point of pure hypocrisy.

Another ironic point.  The CIA gave 3 billion dollars and training to none other than Osama bin Laden and his militia.  Nice thank you card he gave in return.  Funny how the US government fails to mention they are hunting a man they funded and trained as an ally.

-----------------------
ASL/SST_Afyon/Dark Dragoon Squad/2PLT/1COM/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE/[LoC][IH]
Rema
ComNet Member

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant

January 5, 2004 2:55:54 PM    View the profile of Rema 
Just a note for all of you all. This hasnt annoyed me in the past but its beginning to. When you want to refer to things that the United States has done, refer more towards our administration. The majority of the people (smart people) in the US dont support the war in Iraq. Please dont lump us all in one category. Thank you.

First, you say that the Iraqi people wanted us there? I agree a fair amount of Iraqi's probably wanted us their. But last time i checked the news wasnt exactly showing anything about how people DONT like the US there. Showing people not liking the occupations is bad propaganda.

Next, the entire WMD thing. The thing is we dont know if he had them. What makes the most sense though is that he was looking into building WMD. Not nuclear weapons but biological and chemical weapons. He used them before, so why not again?

Ok now about the entire superpower/bullying thing. The reason no one is gonna invade the United States is because the US isnt gonna randomly start launching nuclear missiles at Britain, Russia or anyone else. That goes for the rest of the countries. These tiny third world countries have been known to be unstable and brash. The allies that make up the worlds superpowers are gonna be the worlds police force. Lets all imagine a world where the United States, Britain, Russia, France and everyone else does nothing with the rest of the world. What do you think would happen? We would all be at peace? No. Some country somewhere with some insane dictator would want more power and launch a nuclear missile at someone, or use biological weapons. The superpowers of the world cant just stand around and do nothing. With great power comes great responsibility. We cant ignore that. We cant ignore the rest of the world. Sometimes we need to intervene. I agree some of it is to inflate egos and spread tentacles all over the world, but some the "bullying" is needed.

Next up is the China thing. Did you know that back in the late 1800's early 1900's the US had plans to invade china? A little known fact. Anyway the reason that the United States doesnt invade China is because that would just be stupid. Currently China really isnt making waves. While they were, things have calmed down since the North Korea nuclear missiles. Now also a little known thing is this. The US and its allies have slowly surrounded China. From the North, South, East, and just currently the West.(Iraq) This has thought to be a possible reason we went into Iraq.

Now about the training and supplying of Middle Eastern people. You must remember back about 30 years ago the biggest threat to the United States what the Soviet Union. So anyone that was against the USSR was a potential ally. Since the US couldnt attack the USSR in all small countries in the Middle East, they gave training and weapons to the people that were rebelling against them. Even the greatest superpower on the Earth has faults. No one is perfect remember that.

Oh and Otto dont worry about that nuclear strike. We would only launch if someone else launched. And you most likely wouldnt be around to see the nuclear winter.

-----------------------
"Luke, I am your Fasha."
JMac
ComNet Veteran

January 7, 2004 11:39:54 AM    View the profile of JMac 
Right now it's about 50/50 for and against the US.  Just like every single political issue in the country right now.  Now to the issues.

Otto, are you suggesting that we meet everyone with hand-guns at high noon?  Of course we hit enemies before they reach our power.  We don't want to have to fight someone that could really hurt us, we want to stop them before they reach that point.

I'd write more, but I gtg.

-----------------------

Naval Training Officer

Viva el gato mojado!!!

Semper Fidelis
Fury
ComNet Overlord

[VE-ARMY] High General
[VE-VEHC] High General*

Post Number:  1578
Total Posts:  2689
January 7, 2004 12:00:48 AM    View the profile of Fury 
Point is: no one here is liable to change anyone else's mind, especially with the arguments I've been reading lately.

For those who can do so, your only chance to effect change is the upcoming primary season and general election in the fall.

For them and the rest of you, trying to cultivate better relationships with those of other countries should be a given in this club.  A non-American calling us gun-toting hegemonists does not make us consider any of your following words favorably.  And any American spouting off any superpower "we've-got-the-guns, hence the power" crap is on my list as well.  Last I checked, the US had pissed away any of its international goodwill and the dollar is down across the board.  Having power means knowing how to use it and we've done a lot better with those resources in the past.

In the meantime, quit bashing nationalities, cultures, races, and religions on all sides by lumping every member of said group in with their bad apples.  That includes Bush, Bin Laden, Cheney, Hussein and any other ass-clown you wish to bring up.
  -----------------------
PRF/GEN Fury/VEA/TADATH/VE [SCP][PoC][SotE:HC][SotE:VEA][IOC]
Prefect - Stormtrooper Corps
Administrator - Imperial Center
[This message has been edited by Fury (edited January 7, 2004 2:16:27 PM)]
Rema
ComNet Member

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant

January 7, 2004 2:08:18 PM    View the profile of Rema 
Well put. Even though it does kinda shut down this debate but oh well. It was fun while it lasted.

-----------------------
"Luke, I am your Fasha."
chipmunk man
ComNet Member

[VE-NAVY] Petty Officer 2nd Class (PO2)

Post Number:  930
Total Posts:  2064
January 7, 2004 6:00:52 PM    View the profile of chipmunk man 
I know I'm not going to change your minds. I'm trying to stay rational and keep this a mature debate. BUT I CAN'T TAKE IT ANY MORE! THE STUPID IDIOT KNOWN HAS SADDAM HAD WMD'S! FOR GOD'S SAKE PEOPLE, HE USED CHEMICAL WEAPONS ON HIS OWN POPULATION! THAT IS A HISTORICAL FACT! YOU CAN'T SAY HE DIDN'T HAVE THEM WHEN IT IS A HISTORICAL FACT THAT HE USED THEM!

Thank you. Now I have that off my chest.

And by the way, it's spelled "Cheney."

-----------------------
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstien

"There is a certain kind of peace that can be found only on the other side of war." -Sean Connery as King Arthur

FL/PO2 Chipmunk Man/Kaph 3-1/Phoenix/mSSD Atrus/DEF/VEN/VE/(=A=)[LoC][MC:1]
[This message has been edited by chipmunk man (edited January 7, 2004 6:02:38 PM)]
Fury
ComNet Overlord

[VE-ARMY] High General
[VE-VEHC] High General*

January 7, 2004 6:16:21 PM    View the profile of Fury 
Say you have a $100 and you spend $40 on video games and I kick your butt in the back of Spencer's and take the other $60.

You would no longer have $100. 

Are you getting this or should I find an example that involves your virginity and a neighborhood cat?

-----------------------
JMac
ComNet Veteran

January 8, 2004 10:21:45 AM    View the profile of JMac 
I'm afraid that one went over even me, so there is no hope of Chippy getting it.

-----------------------

Naval Training Officer

Viva el gato mojado!!!

Semper Fidelis
Otto Vox
ComNet Member

January 8, 2004 10:34:29 AM    View the profile of Otto Vox 
I got it, but if it went over you, Chip aint gettin it.

-----------------------
Dark Jedi Knight
Rema
ComNet Member

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant

January 8, 2004 10:52:01 AM    View the profile of Rema 
Could we have the cat and virginity one?

-----------------------
"Luke, I am your Fasha."
Kuroishi
ComNet Member

Post Number:  589
Total Posts:  948
January 8, 2004 10:56:18 AM    View the profile of Kuroishi 
Someone pointed out something very interesting to me not too long ago.

"How long did it take us to find Saddam?  Now imagine trying to find something that doesn't have to eat, breath, or have any contact with the outside world."-The creator of JETHRO.

I was also once told long ago that China had made some sort of statement about not actually caring too much if the US did detonate a nuke on them.

Remember I'm only able to convey the information given to me.

All in all this has been an interesting debate and seems a bit shut down but I'll say this:

I never agreed with the war in Iraq but once the soldiers were sent over I supported them 100%.  They were doing thier jobs for better or worse.

I didn't particullary agree with the war in Afghanistan either.

We also have to remember we gave Iraq a few months of warning while we tried to secure UN support, or am I the only one who noticed how big of a weapons importer Iraq has been for France and Russia?

I'm not totally familiar with the track record of the UN but I can pretty safely say it doesn't work because the member countries no matter who they are, what they believe in, or the cause being presented try and use it for thier own personal agendas.

America as a nation governed by flawed men is a flawed nation.  Our own track record isn't perfect and we have been imperialistic in the past.  Are we now?

That seems to be a bit of a debate in itself.

I know before the war in Iraq Bush Jr was viewed as bigger threat to world safety then Saddam.

I know if I ever managed to become president things just would not be pretty and if I managed to avoid being impeeched I'd never get re-elected anyway.  I'd probably also never have a very good approval rating.

I'm not a big supporter of Bush Jr, but I still got to respect him for a few things he is doing right.  Despite the fact he is a republican the stockmarket is rivaling Clinton's haydays.  Now only if our companies would stop going to mexico.

-----------------------
Kuroishi Wraith VEA
Daishi Raptor VEN
Assistant Writer Why Project Copyright Infringment
Ich bin hessliche amerikaner.
Nehmen mir zu dein frauen von vernunftig preis tugendhafte.
"And the sound of many heads hitting many solid objects was heard throughout the land." me
JMac
ComNet Veteran

January 9, 2004 5:27:59 AM    View the profile of JMac 
All good points.  I'd comment, but I'm worried what kind of metaphor Fury would roll out.

Fury, could be please have the cat metaphor?  it sounds interesting.

-----------------------

Naval Training Officer

Viva el gato mojado!!!

Semper Fidelis
Afyon
ComNet Member

Post Number:  718
Total Posts:  981
January 12, 2004 1:37:12 PM    View the profile of Afyon 
Kurioshi...you cant safely say the UN doesnt work.

-----------------------
ASL/GSG_Afyon/Dark Dragoon Squad/2PLT/1COM/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE/[LoC][IH][CoH][SoA]
Kuroishi
ComNet Member

Post Number:  589
Total Posts:  948
January 12, 2004 10:59:21 PM    View the profile of Kuroishi 
Like I said I'm not actually very familliar with a lot of what the UN has done in the past but the recent events that stick out in my mind lend me to believe the UN does not do what it is supposed to very well.

Either our news agencies have lied to us or Saddam Hussien had and used long range missles he was not permitted to have under UN mandate.

The UN took no for an answer when they asked to send in represenatives to watch our elections.

France and Russia used thier veto power to make sure we couldn't get UN support for the second round of the fight with Iraq.

In my perfect world no member of the UN would be allowed a veto capability.  Veto power for member nations ensure that only the personal agendas of those nations get carried out with rare exceptions of a good cause actuallt being backed up.

I hear a lot of buzz words saying that UN support is fading away from rebuilding Iraq.  To me that is a pretty clear indication the UN is not doing what it is supposed to, if it were the UN would at least be doing a bit more then what it currently is to get a not american puppet goverment in there.

The UN very well may have worked somewhat in the past but right now it's not securing my confidence.

-----------------------
Kuroishi Wraith VEA
Daishi Raptor VEN
Assistant Writer Why Project Copyright Infringment
Ich bin hessliche amerikaner.
Nehmen mir zu dein frauen von vernunftig preis tugendhafte.
"And the sound of many heads hitting many solid objects was heard throughout the land." me
JMac
ComNet Veteran

January 13, 2004 5:14:16 AM    View the profile of JMac 
I agree, the UN is not living up to its purpose.  Nations with Veto power have ultimate pwer to do or say whatever they want.  The UN has no real Army, mostly they borrow from the US and a few other countries, and thus they have no real authority.  Saddam basically ran rings around the Weapons inspectors.  Not only did he have a bunch of long range missles that he wasn't allowed to have, but we have just found shells containing mustard gas.  The UN was powerless to do anything about it.

Really, all the UN has become is a popularity contest between self important delagates.  They have no real power, all they really do is give international actions a partial legitamacy that wasn't even needed before the UN.

-----------------------

Naval Training Officer

Viva el gato mojado!!!

Semper Fidelis
chipmunk man
ComNet Member

January 13, 2004 6:32:45 AM    View the profile of chipmunk man 
If the UN could learn to enforce its own resolutions, then it might have something resembling a worthwhile purpose. Instead, they have shown that they are all talk and little show; cowards who can't back up their own statements. I've heard many people complaining that the United States acts like the world's policeman. Well if the Uniited Nations would learn how to use their handcuffs properly, the US wouldn't have to cover for them anymore.

-----------------------
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstien

"There is a certain kind of peace that can be found only on the other side of war." -Sean Connery as King Arthur

[This message has been edited by chipmunk man (edited January 13, 2004 6:35:56 AM)]
Rema
ComNet Member

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant

January 13, 2004 7:18:23 AM    View the profile of Rema 
You all realize that the UN does more than war stuff right? In these other fields they shine the most. Perhaps a little trip to some UN sites or things about the UN are needed.

-----------------------
"Luke, I am your Fasha."
TRP/CPL_Rema/Dark_Dragoons/2PLT/1COM/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE [LoR][OPE] [AM-B][AM-S][AM-P][SoA][IH]
Fury
ComNet Overlord

[VE-ARMY] High General
[VE-VEHC] High General*

January 13, 2004 8:52:09 AM    View the profile of Fury 
Rema, while most of the recent posters seem to be ignoring that, there is the reality that the UN popped into Iraq, saw it was "dangerous" and popped right back out again.

Speaking of your other UN efforts, some of them are in deplorable and hostile environments, which the UN has willingly run head-first into, danger be damned.  So where is the motivation to do the same in Iraq?  I say its there, but restrained by political forces.  The losers? The Iraqi people.

This is not to say I don't think the UN does not have problems it needs to address.  But here's the thing: the US helped build a lot of these multinational entities because it would HELP us expand our vision of a fair and just would.  Weaseling out of things like Kyoto and the Nuclear Test Ban when we helped create them is ludicrous.  Coming to the UN and World Court only to appease some potential voters is equally disingenuous.

We helped build the damn edifices and organizations our administration complains about.  The only thing you do in a situation like that is try to make an honest effort to reform or work through a system that, after all, is built on consensus and compromise.  The world is too big of an interdependent, hostile place to have some runt from Texas basically just "pick up his ball and go home."  Two world wars were prolonged once because of our isolationist BS.  We do not need to sit and watch the Jacque Chirac's of this world take the tools we helped build and turn them into anti-American clubs.

If its broke, fix it.  Don't just walk away from it.

-----------------------
JMac
ComNet Veteran

January 13, 2004 11:29:21 AM    View the profile of JMac 
I'm not ignoring what the UN is doing.  They actually do render a few good services to the world.  I am saying that it has become little more then afrementioned popularity contest, and that it is becoming far less effective as a result.

Fury, we are hardly becoming isolationist.  We went into Iraw with a fairly large co-alition of nations, and we continue to work with them. We just didn't go through the UN, which has become bogged down with delegates that are too busy bashing the USA and making arms deals with dictators against thier own resolutions to do anything about it.

What we should do is this.  Kick the UN out of our country and withdraw.  Withdraw the funding that keeps the UN afloat, and take back our peacekeepers.  Then continue with our co-alition on doing what we have been doing with the rebuilding of Iraq, peace in the Middle East, and various hotspots that our troops and money has been working with anyway. Then see what France and Germany can do without us.

As fun as that would be though, we do ahve to face the fact that the world is interlocked and that there are people that hate us.  There is still a big difference, though, between working with the UN and giving up our soveirnty to them.  The problems with the world as a whole didn't really have anything to do with the problems.  It was France and Germany talking of Imperialism while trying to protect their oil and weapons deals with Saddam.

-----------------------

Naval Training Officer

Viva el gato mojado!!!

Semper Fidelis
[This message has been edited by JMac (edited January 13, 2004 11:33:06 AM)]
Fury
ComNet Overlord

[VE-ARMY] High General
[VE-VEHC] High General*

January 13, 2004 12:09:59 AM    View the profile of Fury 
Granted, I myself won't change anyone's mind either, but I figured I'd clarify what I perceived as unfair assessments and then let it go at that.

1. We, the entire United States, are being judged unfairly because of our leader.  That's unfair.  I certainly didn't vote for the clown and neither did the majority of the country.  That said, just because Chirac and Schroeder run their respective countries doesn't mean all French and Germans want to browbeat us into the ground.  Just some of them.

2. Guess who else at certain times had great weapons and oil contracts with Iraq?  Us.  Guess that takes a bit away from your argument when its obvious we will be having some again any time now.

3.  Our "grand" coalition includes a lot of countries that support us in principle and not in materiel.  Aside from the Brits, Aussies, and some Eastern Europeans, its not like anyone is putting up combat troops alongside ours.  Yes, the Japanese have gone way out of their way to help, but should they see losses on a big scale, they'll be forced to pull out of there.

To put some perspective on this, refer to this site.  From how I read it, that counts 15 (if your include the Marshalls) out of more or less 170 countries on this planet who have actually risked the lives of their soldiers in this venture.  You'd have to be nuts to consider that a "fairly large co-alition (sic) of nations."

3. By disregarding and considering the UN and NATO as irrelevant to our goals, that would certainly count as isolationist moves.  So are pulling out of multiple treaty talks concerning the environment and nuclear weapons. Just because we can't have our way all the time means that the system actually works, NOT the other way around. Having people feel they are being lorded over by the US is not good for us as a nation. If you ever truly travel outside our borders - or just turn off FoxNews for an hour - you'd actually understand why.

As for France and Germany "talking of Imperialism", remember the definition of imperialism as: the policy, practice, or advocacy of extending the power and dominion of a nation especially by direct territorial acquisitions or by gaining indirect control over the political or economic life of other areas (Merriam-Webster).  While France may be looking for a greater chunk of power in the EU and a broader extension of said body as a counter to the US, I was call that an over-zealous ego trip based in some DeGaullist myth, not something to truly worry about.  As for Germany, I doubt they plan on doing anything approaching imperialism for fear of freaking out their neighbors.

No, point is, yes the UN needs a lot of reform.  I am actually all in favor of the revoking of veto from all five nations who have it.  However, this mess is of our own administration's making.  Granted, not everyone played along and they, as much as we, need to accept our errors in recent events.

Waving around a flag, however, does not excuse the mistakes of our current administration.  Neither does coercing or buying people out to accept our point of view as we've done with much of our "coalition of the willing".  We are a much better country than George Bush would lead us to believe.
  -----------------------
[This message has been edited by Fury (edited January 13, 2004 12:29:34 AM)]
chipmunk man
ComNet Member

January 13, 2004 2:55:18 PM    View the profile of chipmunk man 
Fury, just because we peddled a few grenades to Saddam in the 80's because we thought the commies were going to get a hold of Iran doesn't mean we were doing it in 2003. Just becuase the U.S. had legalized slavery in 1850, but that doesn't mean we did in 2000. From what I remember hearing, France and Germany were putting their hands down Saddam's pants at the SAME TIME that they were calling the invasion wrong.

While we are on the subject of France and Germany, we (the US) really are the ones who gave those people the oppurtunity to get to their current status. And yes, I am going to bring up WW2. Not only did we save France's little butt from the Third Riech, we gave masses of cash to France and Germany to rebuild their shattered economy. Military historians (a title I strive to attain) are generally in agreement that had the US not become involved, the Nazis would have taken the rest of France, along with our British friends. It would have taken time to smack up the Brits, but the Nazis would've managed eventually. And had the US not offered over its wads of cash, the face of Europe would be far more desolate and impoverished. Then they go and call us greedy, imperialistic Americans. Personally, I'm insulted.

-----------------------

Fury
ComNet Overlord

[VE-ARMY] High General
[VE-VEHC] High General*

January 13, 2004 3:52:58 PM    View the profile of Fury 
I'll say it first...and we got to be to be a free and independent country how again?
ComNet > Neutral Messages > Archived Lounge > We Got Him  |  New Posts    
  Pages:  [ 1 2 3 ]   

All times are CST. The time now is 3:23:09 AM
Comnet Jump:

Current Online Members - 0  |  Guests - 148  |  Bots - 3

< Contact Us - The Vast Empire >