Communications Network
Vast Empire  -  New Posts  -  Search  -  Statistics  -  Login 

ComNet > Imperial Navy > Archived Navy Main ComNet > Naval Report - Sep 14th 2003

Pages:  [ 1 2 3 ]   
Author
Topic:  Naval Report - Sep 14th 2003
Kuroishi
ComNet Member

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant First Class

Post Number:  589
Total Posts:  948
  RE: Naval Report - Sep 14th 2003
September 28, 2003 10:48:07 PM    View the profile of Kuroishi 
Sorry about posting with my army nick again but as long as I can get everywhere I want to go with it it's all I'm going to use.

I don't know how it is in other nations but in the U.S. the marines started as a part of the navy then became thier own indepentant branch.

The marine idea doesn't entirely work on a fictional basis.

The reason the marine idea doesn't work is that the function of the VEA covers the propsed mission statement of marines so it would just be another army division that would be axed in the next round of budget cuts unless it could provide a unique and usefull function.

Nah what we need is to figure out something where we can spark some interest and keep the interest going.

There isn't really anything wrong with XvT and my biggest complaint about XWA isn't too major of a deal(the lack of ak-ak fire from ships).

I'd be much more interested in playing those games in MP if we could arrange some flight on flight combat.  With my connection it is rather questionable if I could participate in such an endevour.

Our major concern is to make people interested in devouting a few hours a week to the VE.

As such we need to figure out incentives and rewards that mean something.

Ask yourself these questions and try to answer them honestly:

Am I having fun?
If not then what would I do differently?
What are my other priorities?
How many other organizations am I in that I actually want to be in?
If I could change something about the VE as a whole what would it be?

Answer them yourself no need to post them or send them in an e-mail unless someone with some actual athourity wants the answers.

If anyone wants any further nuggets of my lackluster wisdom you know how to get a hold of me.

-----------------------
Great Death Leader of the Fallen
The Chief Instigator of Pain and Terror
GN Daishi(2LT Kuroishi)
"Victory through terror, terror through infiltration. Redefining pain and suffering since 2000 and damn proud of it."  Fallen Angels motto.
"And the sound of many heads hitting many solid objects was heard throughout the land." me
Bear
ComNet Member

[VE-NAVY] Captain (CAP)
[VE-VEEC] Chief Editor

Post Number:  949
Total Posts:  947
September 29, 2003 9:42:53 AM    View the profile of Bear 
Find me a growing, up-and-coming XWA tournament and I'll agree that XWA is the way to go. It'll be hard enough to find other clans to play against regularly.

Whether you, me or anyone likes it or not, its games like Desert Combat which have futures. I know of at least one forum for Battlefield 1942, which Desert Combat is a mod for. If you look on the main page, you'll also see a major tournament coming up.

If we want the VEN to remain part of this SW-encompassing role playing world, then we're probably just going to become a Galaxies group.

If, however, we want to create gaming oppurtunities, we're actually going to have to go and select a game and start building a clan base for it. And we can't let little things like Star Wars stand in the way of that.

As it stands, we really are not a very vast Empire. We're going to have to become a gaming clan, or a galaxies group. Or both.

And if that means we become the "[<277th>] l33t Rangerz", and simply say we're part of the Vast Empire group, then.. thats something we have to look into. And make a proper name for.

The way I see it is this: most new clans start with some spotty 13 year old spamming forums. We've already got a base of people - which puts us one step ahead. We've got shared skills, qualities, etc, and hopefully a game we can all play together.

They say that for any gaming clan, the 2nd member is the hardest to recruit. Which means we've already done the hard bit.

So can anyone be bothered to start a clan?
LoneWolf
ComNet Member

[VE-DJO] Dark Jedi Knight (DJK)
[VE-NAVY] 2nd Lieutenant (2LT)

Post Number:  931
Total Posts:  1075
September 29, 2003 4:24:19 PM    View the profile of LoneWolf 
I know i sound like a broken record but...

Gaming is not the only thing the VE is, and the problem is having SW games. we can play all these other fancy games even some other SW games but the fact remains that there hasn't been a piloting game for SW in years.

-----------------------
Lonewolf/Polaris 2-1/mSSD Atrus/DEF/VEN/VE/(=A=)(=SA=)(=JCPA=)(=SCPA=)[SRC][VC:Ebony]

CM/DJK LoneWolf/Sith/Eagle Sect/VEDJ

"With each kill, I grow wiser, with added wisdom, I grow stronger..." -Artemis Entreri
JMac
ComNet Veteran

[VE-NAVY] Lt. Commander (LCM)

Post Number:  1029
Total Posts:  1216
September 30, 2003 5:03:07 AM    View the profile of JMac 
Apathy is definitely one of our main problems.  There is no real squadron pride, we don't have enough people to even partly fill the problems.  This makes it kind of hard to get the same Aegis/Viper/Venom rivalry that really propelled us last year. 

We really have no way of rewarding activity.  Elite Squadron: we don't have squad pride, so that is meaningless.  Ic reward or penalty.  While it is used to be a big motivator for me, it is kind of pointless without a means of using this fake money.  Our store is down, and has been for some time, so that means of using our cash is meaningless.  I haven't noticed any betting like there used to be.  There is no point.

The gaming problem has been reviewed enough to not make it worth mentioning, so that is kind of pointless to discuss.

We used to have a great story writing section of the Navy, but that has lost its appeal as well, for several reasons.  We have no real connection to what the army is doing, no chapter 8, so there doesn't seem to be much point.  Our squadrons mean next to nothing, so not much fun there.  Liquid and I started a story, we have had one post of a few sentences so far, and I can't really say that I blaim anyone who is not posting.  All of our stories wind up sounding the same!  I am definitely in favor of some sort of sub-division, if not marines per say, then maybe a Special Ops group much like the New Republic's Wraith Squadron, a combo of Army and Navy.

-----------------------
LCM_FL_ JMac/Kaph 3-1/(=A=)(=SA=)(=MA)(=FOCE=)(MC1)

It's God's job to forgive Bin Laden... It's our job to arrange the meeting -USMC

Semper Fidelis

Lusthawk 12
Kuroishi
ComNet Member

October 1, 2003 10:39:01 PM    View the profile of Kuroishi 
Back when therewas an IW and I was a part of it there was something interesting that happened.

There used to be a rough equivelant to the VEA called the POD.  It worked for a while then it was decided the IW should go ahead and trim some of the dead weight off.  The flagship was destroyed(I'd hate to say it but I had wanted that to happen for some time in that era), the Planetary Operations Division was trimmed back to a single platoon on the premise that we'd fly first and do our psycho terrorist thing second.

Thus the Fallen Angels were born.

The idea only worked because everyone wanted to put forth the effort and could.

In the end it still failed because everyone stopped caring.  We could have lasted much longer if we wanted to but we didn't.

There is nothing inherently wrong with the navy as is except no one gives a damn.

My next point is how many of you are already in the army anyway?

If we want to have a thriving truely independant navy we do need people who want to devote thier time just as equally to the navy as the army.

Right now the army is sort of working(from what I can tell).

It is true the lack of a new flightsim is killing us.

In the end it is our decision not the HC's what happens next.

There are my nuggets for now.

-----------------------
GN Daishi(2LT Kuroishi)
"Victory through terror, terror through infiltration. Redefining pain and suffering since 2000 and damn proud of it."  Fallen Angels motto.
"And the sound of many heads hitting many solid objects was heard throughout the land." me
Threeof4
ComNet Member

[VE-NAVY] Admiral (ADM)
[VE-VEHC] Field Marshal*

Post Number:  438
Total Posts:  438
October 3, 2003 5:16:26 PM    View the profile of Threeof4 
Still all just talk going on, no action.

And don't look for me or WM to lead the way for you guys.  I have come to the conclusion that I'm tired of work being done for your benefit, and none of you taking the time to participate.

Until I start seeing something more than talk, I'm going to be working on things that i've had to put off because of the Navy. 

Arturus
ComNet Member

[VE-NAVY] Ensign (ESN)

Post Number:  887
Total Posts:  2143
October 5, 2003 12:17:34 AM    View the profile of Arturus 
well u know

its fine to say go do something

but we need to come to a consensus as to what the hell our strategy is going to be to revive the navy

so we need to get a list of objectives and ideas and work on them

navy meeting perhaps for this?

-----------------------
SL/ESN_Arturus/Kaph 1-1/Phoenix Wing/M-SSD_Atrus/VE/VEN/(=a=)(=sa=)(=jcpa=)(=scpa=)[MC:1][SV][BRC][LoC]
LoneWolf
ComNet Member

October 5, 2003 4:26:01 PM    View the profile of LoneWolf 
the trick is organizing a meeting to meet we should post out objectives...

-----------------------
Lonewolf/Polaris 2-1/mSSD Atrus/DEF/VEN/VE/(=A=)(=SA=)(=JCPA=)(=SCPA=)[SRC][VC:Ebony]

"With each kill, I grow wiser, with added wisdom, I grow stronger..." -Artemis Entreri
Kuroishi
ComNet Member

October 5, 2003 6:37:34 PM    View the profile of Kuroishi 
I'll be the devil's advocate as needed.

Part of our problem is communication.
Despite having IRC, e-mails, and the comnets pertenant information does not get to where it needs to go.

Because of that myself and Rielf Fury had a bit of a squable but we managed to solve it like reasonable people.

This is a problem on all levels.

What we got six different people even talking about the problems that face the navy as a whole?

If we're going to do everything we need to do we got to do a hell of a lot better then that.

I'll stand with you all and fight tooth and nail at your sides when we can come up with a winning plan.

Our problems in a brief restatement:
Lack of MP gaming
Apathy
Communication
No good over-riding story
Inititive

Some of those will be easier to solve then others but so far no one has really proposed a good idea.

The Fallen Angles worked only because they cared and wanted to devote thier time to such an endevour.  Apathy caught up to them as well.  I was thier leader so I should know what I'm talking about in that regard.

-----------------------
GN Daishi(2LT Kuroishi)
LoneWolf
ComNet Member

October 6, 2003 9:32:23 PM    View the profile of LoneWolf 
devil's advocate? you sounded like the truth. I think first off we need to purge the navy, extensivly, harshly, cruelly. Seriously, we should purge harshly, while we do that we should come up with a plan with what to do with the navy, regardless of the results. I still thinking merging our forces would be a good idea, it's not like we're going to force people to stop playing navy like MP games. The only issue i can truelly see in merging the VE forces would be the lack of a navy story line, but we could have that be voluntary work for those who are willing to put the time in. that's my 3 cents worth now.

-----------------------

Japheth
ComNet Sultan

[VE-DJO] Krath Templar (KT)
[VE-NAVY] Rear Admiral (RAD)
[VE-VEHC] Rear Admiral*

Post Number:  1197
Total Posts:  2517
October 7, 2003 12:15:31 AM    View the profile of Japheth 
A purge will rid the Navy of basicly everyone but those who have posted here. While this may, in fact, be representitve of those who are active members of the Navy, I am not sure that such a harsh purge is in order.

I do believe that there needs to be things to -do-. Gaming is basicly out of the question in my mind at this point. It has become clear that there are few or no navy oriented games out there for members of this organization to play. Those few games that are available and are also navy-oriented need contests organized for them and participation needs to be encouraged as much as possible. Exceptions should be games like Galaxies, which can only marginally be considered Navy-oriented anyway. Activity in any contests from here until the Navy reaches a more stable point should be rewarded very heavily, perhaps to the point of insanity.

What the Navy needs is a story. The story needs to involve an overall plot and be divided down on a squad-by-squad basis. Participation in the story should be mandatory to remain active unless some damn good excuses are presented. Activity in this story should be heavily rewarded and further participation should be encouraged.

If we do not do these things this arm of this organization will die. We can all see it comming. Things have been sliding downhill for a long time now and they'll have to end somewhere. Either the graph will swing back up or it will go to zero.

-----------------------
Rear Admiral Japheth Cappadocious, Krath Priest
Captain of the mSSD Atrus
Headmaster of the Dark Jedi Order Academy
-----------------------
SCAP/RAD Japheth Cappadocious/mSSD Atrus/DEF/VEN/VE/(=A=)(=SA=)(=JCPA=)(=SCPA=)(=FCO=)[BRC][LSM][MC:1][KC:OC]
HM/KPT Japheth Cappadocious/DC-3/Krath Order/Elite Griffen Sect/VEDJ/VE
JMac
ComNet Veteran

October 7, 2003 5:01:04 AM    View the profile of JMac 
Yeah, i'd agree with that.  We do need a story, but it can't be our usual thing.  Typically, it is all the same, go out, fly around, be invincible, and kill thousands of rebels/pirates.  That kind of thing would be good for awhile, but it gets old fast.

There seems to be a lot of talk about forming some king of bastardized navy/special forces division, and I personally really like the idea.  If no one has any objections, I'll start writing up a formal report on the subject and  give it to 3, maybe get something happening. 

-----------------------

It's God's job to forgive Bin Laden... It's our job to arrange the meeting -USMC

Semper Fidelis

Lusthawk 12
Liquid
ComNet Member

[VE-NAVY] 1st Lieutenant (1LT)

Post Number:  612
Total Posts:  679
October 7, 2003 9:00:03 AM    View the profile of Liquid 
hows about we make a contest where i pay the winner an ACTUAL TEN DOLLARS via paypal?

-----------------------
Dark Jedi Knight Liquid of the Dark Jedi Order
Warrant Officer 1st Class of the Vast Empire Navy

ph34red by many

are you man enough?
Arturus
ComNet Member

[VE-NAVY] Ensign (ESN)

October 7, 2003 10:09:57 AM    View the profile of Arturus 
Jmac I wrote 3 an extensive proposal about 3 months ago about a system that would work for a spec ops squadron in VEN. We can basically use that only modify it a tad to make it more practical for a large group of people.

Lemme try and dig it up so I can show you unless 3 still has a copy?

-----------------------
SL/ESN_Arturus/Kaph 1-1/Phoenix Wing/M-SSD_Atrus/VE/VEN/(=a=)(=sa=)(=jcpa=)(=scpa=)[MC:1][SV][BRC][LoC]
LoneWolf
ComNet Member

October 7, 2003 4:00:45 PM    View the profile of LoneWolf 
Perhaps we should have the story be more critical to the navy. the only suggestion i will say that people could be written out for lack of activity. and the rewards should be just as... deserving if they succeed. just me talking out ideas. we should also include more... non fighter scenerios too. I dunno. I would be more then willing to help ppl come up with a plot to start us out though.

-----------------------

[This message has been edited by LoneWolf (edited October 7, 2003 4:02:35 PM)]
Threeof4
ComNet Member

[VE-NAVY] Admiral (ADM)
[VE-VEHC] Field Marshal*

Post Number:  438
Total Posts:  438
October 7, 2003 4:18:57 PM    View the profile of Threeof4 
That's fine Liquid

go ahead and set that precident.  I will then leave the VE because i'm not about to be a part of something where i have to pay people actual money to do things.  If i wanted to be an employer i would have taken my second job offer.

Liquid
ComNet Member

[VE-NAVY] 1st Lieutenant (1LT)

Post Number:  612
Total Posts:  679
October 7, 2003 5:21:15 PM    View the profile of Liquid 
it's a joke three...get over it :P

-----------------------
Dark Jedi Knight Liquid of the Dark Jedi Order
Warrant Officer 1st Class of the Vast Empire Navy

ph34red by many

are you man enough?
JMac
ComNet Veteran

October 8, 2003 6:06:05 AM    View the profile of JMac 
Dang, and here I thought that I could put my begging clothing away and just use the VE as my primary source of income.

All right Art, e-mail it to me and we'll see what we can do.  I honestly think that it will help get interest back up, at least in the short run, which we can then use to boost activity in the long run.

-----------------------

Semper Fidelis

Lusthawk 12
Kuroishi
ComNet Member

October 8, 2003 8:59:33 AM    View the profile of Kuroishi 
I've seen the massive perge thing done before and it really didn't work out that great.  I've also seen the special ops groups that flies and fights and that wound up just being another ground pounder unit before it faded away.

To me there really isn't anything wrong with the structure of the navy.  That part does not need any major work.

What I would suggest to fix the problem of our members going out and flying like gods is to have someone put together a mission based on the fic then have them fly it and see ho long they last.  Or we could have writting workshops were our better writters help those who need it.

IC's are not much of a reward or punishment to me and I don't think they'll be much different to a newbie fresh off the zone either.

There is my nugget of wisdom for now.

-----------------------
Kuroishi Wraith VEA
Daishi Raptor VEN
Assistant Writer Why Project Copyright Infringment
Ich bin hessliche amerikaner.
Nahmen mir to dein frauen von vernunftig preis tugendhafte.
JMac
ComNet Veteran

October 8, 2003 11:19:58 AM    View the profile of JMac 
Right now ICs aren't a big reward, because we have no use for them.  Once the store comes into being once again, ics will be much more of a reward.  Before I became rich, I would have done anything for a few ics.

-----------------------

Semper Fidelis

Lusthawk 12
Snake
ComNet Novice

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major

Post Number:  41
Total Posts:  44
October 11, 2003 11:52:30 AM    View the profile of Snake 
maybe the idea of a meeting isn't out of order. It wouldn't have to be anything big, just a place whre we could all come up with some arcing story for the Navy. This way we could take the weight off of 3's back, while still being able to get a good story together that isn't completly one sided. My key points for ths story would be to remember that we have wings of NPCs on ISDs. I think it would be cool if we took out a smaller cap ship, and just foughtke guerilla warfare against the NR. Becasue we would never be in one spot very long we wouldn't have the "kill a million people syndrome. Also, we could use this as our purge, because we wouldn't habve the invincibility problem either then. Just my 2 cents

Former WO2 g5
Kuroishi
ComNet Member

October 13, 2003 9:38:56 AM    View the profile of Kuroishi 
We may still have to have a bit of a writer's workshop so we don't have some of the inherent problems we ussually have in such a thing.

I'd hate to keep dragging them back into pretty much every discusion but they do serve as a valid example, the Fallen Angels.  They were supposed to be covert but can anyone really say they were that subtle?

Not very many people actually would understand what it means to fight a guerrilla campaign.  I got my monkey warfare which is different and not nearly as subtle.

Basiclly even I only really have the tip of the iceberg in that particular equation and unless we can really bring forth something unusual it just ain't going to go the way we plan.

My 2 cents.

-----------------------
Kuroishi Wraith VEA
Daishi Raptor VEN
JMac
ComNet Veteran

October 14, 2003 5:21:11 AM    View the profile of JMac 
How bout that report, Art?

-----------------------

Semper Fidelis

Lusthawk 12
Arturus
ComNet Member

[VE-NAVY] Ensign (ESN)

October 14, 2003 10:07:01 AM    View the profile of Arturus 
Ya, that was sent from an old e-mail account that no longer exists

the only hope is that 3 still has it cause I definitely do not

-----------------------
JMac
ComNet Veteran

October 16, 2003 5:19:43 AM    View the profile of JMac 
S'ok, I'll just write a new one.

-----------------------

Semper Fidelis

Lusthawk 12
Shazam
ComNet Member

[VE-NAVY] Petty Officer 2nd Class (PO2)

Post Number:  650
Total Posts:  4197
October 16, 2003 10:00:34 AM    View the profile of Shazam 
    Howdy, I'm posting to regards of Otto's last post about me being SC of Polaris.  He say's I have his recomendation.  So, I'd be glad to fill his position till he got back. 

Later,

-Shazam
Kuroishi
ComNet Member

October 16, 2003 3:58:55 PM    View the profile of Kuroishi 
And these are the peole who want to save the navy?

We barely have a post a day on average on something of this importance.

Well I guess since midterms are here for those of us who have school of one type or another that can explain a bit of it.

Though really, if the navy needs to be dramaticlly changed how are we going to do it if no one is doing anything about it?

If we go with the idea of making a subdivision of the army we all just may as well transfer to the army and make a character note that we can also fly starfighters and be done with it.

That's what's happened to every instance of any such unit in an org that I am aware of(four units in two orgs).

I still say other then a lack of a hot new MP flight sim to draw members to the navy there isn't anything wrong with the navy as is.

Make sure in your efforts to save something that you don't kill it in the proccess.

There's some food for thought for the lot of you.  Show me a plan that is worthwhile and will keep the navy alive as it's own independant division and I'll back it.  So far no one has shown me didly squat.

I may even settle for a plan that doesn't follow a strikingly familiar pattern.

-----------------------
Kuroishi Wraith VEA
Daishi Raptor VEN
Shazam
ComNet Member

[VE-NAVY] Petty Officer 2nd Class (PO2)

Post Number:  650
Total Posts:  4197
October 16, 2003 7:54:19 PM    View the profile of Shazam 
    Look at the VEN!  It's like reading a book or something, or sitting in the middle of history class...  You have your great city, the people are advanced, and hold the world on the tip of it's hand.  Then, the next thing you know, it's falling apart! 
    I've heard many comments about how the VEN operates more as a whole than ever.  In my eyes, it's simple.  You have to many problems under the same roof.  Problems are getting sent right to the top, and people arn't fixing their own problems.  We have squads with inactive members, but they don't do anything about it.  Thus, the HC of the Navy takes the role of getting the job done. 
    The simple fact is, we operate TOO much as a whole.  The VEN is always struggling to stay alive, but we always operated together.  Now though, there isn't any groups or teams really, it's just like you don't say the name of a squad...  You just say VEN.  There really isn't anything there.
    I'm not comin down on anyone though, I know the squad leaders have a real rough time, something I couldn't imagine yet.  However, the level's need to be pushed, and we need to get organized, and split up into the groups the VEN is known for.  Viper squadron easily being the most recognizable of them all.  And Kaph having been there for more than enough time to earn recognition. 
      I've told you the problem, and what needs to be done.  Then again, this may have been mentioned many times, but there doesn't appear to be anything done about it...  So let's move!
      And yes, those who will save the VEN are probably of the lower class and status.  They have the idea's and energy!  So let's get to work!
Dragoon
ComNet Initiate

Post Number:  156
Total Posts:  156
October 19, 2003 2:43:23 PM    View the profile of Dragoon 
This is very similar to the situation the VEN was in when I joined it over two years ago.  And you're right, it's not the NHC that's going to save it, it's the members.  That's the way it always has to be, the High Command can propose all that they want, but if the members don't do it, it will die.  So, go do something about it.

-----------------------
SSGT Dragoon
Roses are Red
And Ready for Plucking
You're Sixteen
And Ready for High School
LoneWolf
ComNet Member

October 19, 2003 8:14:36 PM    View the profile of LoneWolf 
I'm willing to put my amount of work in i just need some1 to meet me on the other end. I'm game.

Another note is i would like to help conceive a story for the navy if that's alright? i would like to know who else would like to do this so we could coordinate ideas. i would like to see a post regarding this soon. i don't wanna post ideas on the comnet.

-----------------------

ComNet > Imperial Navy > Archived Navy Main ComNet > Naval Report - Sep 14th 2003  |  New Posts    
  Pages:  [ 1 2 3 ]   

All times are CST. The time now is 3:11:54 PM
Comnet Jump:

Current Online Members - 0  |  Guests - 226  |  Bots - 2

< Contact Us - The Vast Empire >