Author
Topic:  The Rules
Drogo
ComNet Novice

Post Number:  68
Total Posts:  68
  RE: The Rules
March 19, 2003 4:29:18 PM    View the profile of Drogo 
One thing I forgot to mention in my last post. Bear, I really didn't like the way you chastised Snipes for voicing his opinion. Yes he didn't state his thoughts as civily as he probably should have but they are still his opinions and should be respected as such even if disagreed with. Also I got the impression that he simply let too much emotion bleed into his post which I can't say I blame him for. There have been some things on this thread that I strongly disagree with and others that have, not to mince words, pissed me off. You didn't need to point out the things you did just to prove how childish you think Snipes may be. If you ask my opinion your's seemed the more childish of the two posts.

-----------------------
TRP/PFC Drogo/3SQD/1PLT/1COM/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/
VE [LoR]
A.K.A PO1 TwinFury. Former Aegis(LustHawk) 3 and 5, Flight Leader Aegis flight 2, Astral Guard member, and MRR(Marine Recon and Rescue) Officer.
"Would to god my rage, and my fury drive me now." ~Achiles
Argon Viper
ComNet Expert

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-VEEC] Senior Writer

Post Number:  1789
Total Posts:  1789
March 19, 2003 5:30:12 PM    View the profile of Argon Viper 
First off, in retrospect, I'm forced to agree with Drogo's last post, that could have been handled a lot better. Anyways, as to Fury, I am for the troops and against the war.  How can I do that?  Simple.  I am hoping that this war will soon cease to happen.  I don't support going in half-@$$ed, but I do support giving diplomacy as much vigor as war.  I'd much rather the fighting stop halfway to Bagdad than we half fight all the way to Bagdad. The actual problem I have with this war isn't actually the war, but the way in which it was carried out with respect to the UN.  From day one, the United States made it very clear that it expected instant approval for anything it tabled which is, needless to say, absolutely ludicrous. If our government had been less Gung-ho about this war, I wouldn't exactly stand behind them, but I would not disagree with it.  It states in the UN Charter (signed by the US and not in violation of our constitution or anything) that war is only allowed in times of self defense (which no case can be made for this) or in cases specifically authorized by the security council. Correct me if I'm wrong, but nowhere in any security council resolution does it say that we can go to war.  This total disrespect for the opinions and laws of the international community are what make me opposed to this, not the fact that we are ousting Saddam. The other fact that I disagree with is the hypocracy of this whole thing.  We've disobeyed at least as many UN rulings, pulled out of more treaties, and built more WMDs than anyone else in the world, and we're going to attack them for doing the same!?! Just for reference, here's a list of what has been done just since 2000, I hope it lends some perspective to that last comment: http://www.motherearth.org/bushwanted/index.php

-----------------------
Argon Viper
IW COL Argon Viper{ret}
Fallen Angel and Proud of It!
"History is on the move, those who cannot keep up will watch from a distance, and those who get in our way will not watch at all" - Grand Admiral Thrawn
"In combat, second place is only the last to die."- Anonymous
"Condemnation does not liberate, it oppresses" - Carl G Jung
Liquid
ComNet Member

[VE-DJO] Dark Jedi Knight (DJK)
[VE-NAVY] 1st Lieutenant (1LT)

Post Number:  612
Total Posts:  679
March 19, 2003 9:53:15 PM    View the profile of Liquid 
you can be anti-war, pro-war, whatever the hell you want, but the fact remains. We are now at war.

-----------------------
Dark Jedi Knight Liquid of the Dark Jedi Order
Warrant Officer 1st Class of the Vast Empire Navy

ph34red by many

are you man enough?
Argon Viper
ComNet Expert

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-VEEC] Senior Writer

March 19, 2003 10:08:32 PM    View the profile of Argon Viper 
We are, but I don't have to stand behind our president in it.  I don't have to agree with it.  I can continue to recite precedents our attack has set and international laws it has broken.  In fact, it seems likely now that our president and even Tony Blaire will face war crimes charges for their actions here. No matter how justified a war might be, having it take place against international law is not justified, no matter what the reasons.

-----------------------
Argon Viper
IW COL Argon Viper{ret}
"History is on the move, those who cannot keep up will watch from a distance, and those who get in our way will not watch at all" - Grand Admiral Thrawn
Darkhawk
ComNet Disciple

[VE-DJO] Sith Warrior (SW)
[VE-NAVY] Commodore (COM)

Post Number:  2090
Total Posts:  2685
March 19, 2003 10:41:24 PM    View the profile of Darkhawk 
War crimes? I think that's going a bit overboard. If you listen to our administration, they say that the resolutions passed at the end of Gulf Conflict in 1991 give them the right to go in and use force against Iraq. After all, Hussein is in breach of the treaty he made then to end the way. AND the resolution passed last year in the Council did authorize force against Iraq because it had failed to disarm. The only thing the USA is lacking is a full all-out declaration of war. But don't get me wrong. I'm on your side for this one, Argon. I'm for our military and the coalition 100%, but I'm against the administration's decision to do this. I think our nation has better things it could be worry about right now.

-----------------------
ADJ:NTO/FM/COM Darkhawk/Kaph 3-4/Phoenix Wing/mSSD Atrus/DEF/VEN/VE/(=A=)(=SA=)(=JCPA=)(=SCPA=)(=FCO=)[LoC][LSM][BRC][MC:1st][CBV*][VC:Ebony][KC:oc]

DLS/CL/SG Darkhawk/Eagle 1-4/mSSD Atrus/VEDJ/VE/[CR]
Bear
ComNet Member

[VE-NAVY] Captain (CAP)
[VE-VEEC] Chief Editor

Post Number:  949
Total Posts:  947
March 20, 2003 6:50:26 AM    View the profile of Bear 
Welcome to the real world, Drogo. Around here we get so many Americans claiming with their pompous attitue to have British ancestry, claiming they know all and see all in the world, and we should all be following their lead because, apparently, they "saved our asses" before. During the Edinburgh Festival, kicking American heads in becomes the national sport. I, and you, don't have to like it, but its that type of attitude which leaves several of our Atlantic buddies paralysed for the rest of their lvies. Some, even, dead.

-----------------------
           Captain Aaron "Bear" Le'pue, NCC Adjutant & VE Today Chief Editor
                                                        ~~~
       NCC:A/CAP Aaron "Bear" Le'pue/Raptor/Offensive Fleet/mSSD Atrus/VEN/VE
(=A=) (=SA=) (=MA=) (=FOCE=) (=JCPA=) (=SCPA=) [BRC] [BRC] [LSM] [LoC] [NDM]

~~~
                                      Bear : [email protected]
                             Vast Empire Today : [email protected]
Fury
ComNet Overlord

[VE-ARMY] High General
[VE-VEHC] High General*

Post Number:  1578
Total Posts:  2689
March 20, 2003 7:39:21 AM    View the profile of Fury 
A response to your pontificating about "setting a precedent." You may not like Bush or agree with his policies; hell, I don't, but overreacting on either (or any, how many sides are there?) are not going to help anyone's cause.
[This message has been edited by Fury (edited March 20, 2003 7:42:10 AM)]
Kjerri
ComNet Initiate

[VE-ARMY] Lance Corporal

Post Number:  115
Total Posts:  115
March 20, 2003 8:17:54 AM    View the profile of Kjerri 
Ok lets not get into personal attacks on each other. The purpose of the little discussion was supposed to be civil, clean acts of voicing opinions. Lets not get into blaming others. Drogo, Snips went overboard. It’s too obvious of that. Bear was probably just mad that he did go overboard and had voiced his opinions too strongly in a hostile manner. Now let’s forget that little problem and get into the topic.  If we can’t do that, maybe someone should close the discussion before it get worse. Its a known fact we are at war, in fact that was officially declared once the carbon hit the ground in Iraq at 9:30 PM or so Eastern Standard Time, then with Bush's speech at 10:15 to 10:19 PM EST. What does that mean? That means its war, which troops will be fighting and dying for the country we live in. I respect the soldiers in the conflict, it’s there job to enter the conflict and do the presidents orders, and so I respect that and good luck with them. I happen to know a few people that I talk to everyday who are out there working with the soldiers behind the scenes or actually with the troops fighting. "Tolerance for dissent is shrinking, with accusations of treason hurled against those who dare to question official policy....The First Amendment to our Constitution guarantees Americans the freedom to question, to argue, and to vigorously dissent." - People for the American Way Just because I respect the soldiers and their decision, doesn’t mean I have to like the decision to go to war. And *points to rights and freedoms* I have that right. If you want to get into "you don't have that right because you don’t understand war" well get some facts straight. I was in the reserves, yes I didn’t know what conflict was there, but I did take part in training until my little accident which crippled my ability to continue on with the military, even though I was planning to up my time into full time military service, like my father had done for many years. My father, my oldest brother and generations of my family were in open conflicts, my father in Vietnam and my brother in Afghanistan. Do I know war from their stories? You know what... damn straight. Now that I sit here I hear complaints of people who are 'pro war' but are about 16, 17 and have not heard about the conflict. Yes there are some with brothers and sisters in the military and such, and they all have their rights as well, but that doesn’t mean bashing others because of their opinion. War is not a movie, it is a bloody, dangerous crusade where our good men and women become political pawns for those in high offices who can sit back and watch the armies as a cardboard cutout on a map, that someone puts into position at every phone call from the ground. I respect the soldiers, but I do not respect the command position on this matter. Soldiers are being used as pawns because of a conflict rushed into play by two top advisors from the Gulf War who have always wished Saddam could have died in that conflict. Now they have their chance. The trash about "not finishing" the job in the Gulf War is bogus. If you look over the documents of that war and see what has happened, you can see that the military campaign was launched to halt the Iraqi aggression into Kuwait. It stopped after that mission was completed, and it WAS. Sorry to break many posters bubble on that but that was the mission, its stated in ink and its finalized as completed in the signing of it in 1991. This event was triggered to past emotions against a dictator that did not live up to his claim since the United States had him placed in power. There is a sad truth to this conflict, and that is that the United States does not own the war, no one owes it favors, and upset regimes around the globe are tired of a 'diplomatic dictator' ravaging about the countryside like a 'lion seeking to devour someone'. We know that in WW2, France lost a horrible war, it was crushed into pieces with the conflict with Germany, and was in disarray. Canada, Britain, Poland, and many other countries entered the war to stop that conflict. It took two years before the United States entered, had it not been for Japan believing the United States was a threat to its country and launching a preemptive assault. United States did not save that country, it should stop thinking that way, it was only a partner, an ally in the war. Other countries did so as well, their own men fighting off the German assault. France had a hard time then as well, loosing tons of civilians and soldiers. Saying that France owes the United States for that war is a complete disrespect to the soldiers who died in that war and I take offense to that, having parts of my family as causalties of that horrible era. I personally think that anyone who says that should be placed in a straw bunker in the desert and if they direspect others for their opinions on that, get placed in it during a MOAB bomb drop. Its on thing to have an opinion, its another to disrespect history. So if you want to get into disrespecting battles of old, watch as US National Leaders disrespect France and other countries because of the decision they have the RIGHT to make as a SOVERIGN country, then by all means, be a complete ass. But lets get respect going here, not just over dealings with fellow members and associates, but with the world. It is sickening to consider people are shoving themselves up Georgies pants to prove their patriotism without thinking twice about the consequences. "It is a sad time for the world...a country speaking with the lips of peace is in reality striking down his brothers." - Aaron Gibson Oh and for those who question rights to speech, stick your nose in this site here for some interesting reading. http://www.pfaw.org/pfaw/general/default.aspx?oid=9376.

-----------------------
TRP/CPL Kjerri/2SQD/1PLT/1COM/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE [LoR] [LM]
"I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day...tomorrow isn't looking good either."
Argon Viper
ComNet Expert

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-VEEC] Senior Writer

March 20, 2003 8:28:43 AM    View the profile of Argon Viper 
You know, it's not really major countries or democracies that I'm worried about.  It's those little countries that sit side by side, have unstable governments, and hate the living daylights out of each other... These states are likely to attack for these given reasons, because they seem to be willing to attack on the drop of a hat anyways, and this will give them another argument to slow down international intervention.  Trust me, those type of arguments really do work, they're all over the place wherever a ceasefire is being enforced. China might also attack as well, using this same logic to try to halt international intervention until after the fact, if only the US reacts, but Europe and Japan don't, Taiwan will still fall. Another example would be Chechnya.  Russia recently does care about the opinions of other nations, and could decide to instigate another round of devastating attacks on the small province. Precedents really do mean a lot, they open the door to an action once they have been set.  They don't cause the actions, they just make them easier to carry out. BTW, DH, war crimes charges have already been levelled at the elder Bush for the conduct of the US military in the First Gulf War and the invasion of Panama, it's a very real possibility that we may end up with a president (if he gets reelected) that can't leave the country for fear of getting arrested and turned over to the ICC (International Criminal Court). [EDIT] Geez, I wish I would have waited a minute or two more and seen Kjerri's post... Anyways, so far, in the entire debate here, he hasn't said a single thing I disagree with.  He's right that President Bush is doing more disrespect to our soldiers by holding back civil rights than I am by disagreeing with the war. Our president keeps talking about how we have to protect our country.  Well, to him I say that, without these civil rights that you seem to regard as optional, we are not the country that we once were, and have already failed in that protection.   ----------------------- Argon Viper IW COL Argon Viper{ret} Fallen Angel and Proud of It! "History is on the move, those who cannot keep up will watch from a distance, and those who get in our way will not watch at all" - Grand Admiral Thrawn "In combat, second place is only the last to die."- Anonymous "Condemnation does not liberate, it oppresses" - Carl G Jung
[This message has been edited by Argon Viper (edited March 20, 2003 8:37:14 AM)]
Bear
ComNet Member

[VE-NAVY] Captain (CAP)
[VE-VEEC] Chief Editor

March 20, 2003 10:57:14 AM    View the profile of Bear 
I'm just sickened that none of you seem to be thinking about how to cure the anti-Americanism in Europe, which has increased a million-fold in the last week or so. When you make a personal assault on France, it is felt by a lot of people that you are making an assault on every single one of us - me included. Unless you're planning to invade the UK, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Norway, Russia, Greece and Turkey (among another half dozen or so), I think you might have to use a differant method. Put it like this: I have had my ass kicked. But I have not had my ass kicked so badly that I actually ended up LIKING the guy.

-----------------------
           Captain Aaron "Bear" Le'pue, NCC Adjutant & VE Today Chief Editor
                                                        ~~~
       NCC:A/CAP Aaron "Bear" Le'pue/Raptor/Offensive Fleet/mSSD Atrus/VEN/VE
(=A=) (=SA=) (=MA=) (=FOCE=) (=JCPA=) (=SCPA=) [BRC] [BRC] [LSM] [LoC] [NDM]

~~~
                                      Bear : [email protected]
                             Vast Empire Today : [email protected]
Fury
ComNet Overlord

[VE-ARMY] High General
[VE-VEHC] High General*

March 20, 2003 11:21:46 AM    View the profile of Fury 
Bear, while we average citizens do realize that such anti-Americanism exists, there is not a lot we can do.  Also recognize that being called criminals, butchers and outlaws may tend to sting a tad more than being called irrelevant.  I am not trying to point fingers here, but this is a two way street.  Since you ask us to recognize the one side, realize that the opposite applies as well. Americans in general are notoriously bad at knowing, understanding or even caring what others think.  It is a big enough country that things outside our borders get lost in the shuffle. Also, things normally do not affect the country all at once. If it takes a day and a half to drive across the country, it is going to take something big to get the entire population in between point A and B to agree on a course of action. I apologize for any direct attack that has been placed on you and I believe that as a Star Wars club, attacking other nationalities just should not be condoned here, much less anywhere else. As for our image overseas, I don't see it getting any better in the short term.  As for the long term, many of the political and cultural voices denouncing us in Europe did so before George W. Bush even considered running for office.  I daresay their minds won't be changed even if we collectively laid golden eggs and our farts smelled of roses.  But yes, something should be done about it; just probably not by this administration. Since I live in a mostly international neighborhood, I get a unique view on things that is probably different to what other Americans live in.  Basically I'm surrounded by master's candidates and people working on doctoral theses all the time.  Frankly, it makes me feel like an idiot.  Half of the Americans who do live here are knee-jerk Bush haters.  Basically, I lie somewhere in the middle of these views the more we all collectively talk.  You can find a way to talk about this situation with mutual respect.  I've seen it done.  Let's all try to learn a little maturity and tolerance.   ----------------------- PRF/MG Fury/VEA/TADATH/VE [SCP][PoC][SotE:HC][SotE:VEA][IOC] Stormtrooper Corps Prefect Shopkeeper - Imperial Center
[This message has been edited by Fury (edited March 20, 2003 11:32:16 AM)]
chipmunk man
ComNet Member

[VE-NAVY] Petty Officer 2nd Class (PO2)

Post Number:  930
Total Posts:  2064
March 20, 2003 2:45:42 PM    View the profile of chipmunk man 
I agree that personal attacks need to end, and apologize for any I may have made. I just ask that everyone remember those who died on September 11, 2001, and the vows we made to get the people behind Osama.

-----------------------

"The point of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other &*@#$% die for his!"
                                                 -General Patton

FM/LCRW Chipmunk Man/Viper 1-4/Phoenix/mSSD Atrus/DEF/VEN/VE/(=A=)
Geist
ComNet Initiate

Post Number:  105
Total Posts:  105
March 20, 2003 4:00:45 PM    View the profile of Geist 
I'm of the opinion that either politics should be completely banned as a topic for discussion or we should learn to live with the personal attacks. Politics (and also religion) deal with a person's deeply held core beliefs. Bring that up for debate and you can almost always expect sparks to fly. Also, as my only contribution to the debate about war with Iraq, if you didn't know already, as of 1:30 AM pacific time this morning Sadam Hussein was shooting at least one and possibly more full blown scud missiles at Kuwait (scuds have a noticiably steeper trajectory than his other missiles, which is how they were identified as such). These are weapons he has spent the last few years claiming he didn't have anymore, as they are in VIOLATION of UN resolutions imposed on Iraq after the gulf war. Why should we assume that an agressor state that has attacked its neighbors and has spent the last twelve years ducking inspectors, who has used weapons of mass destruction against its own citizens, will ever agree to peaceful disarmament? I for one believe that as soon as Dubya said we will disarm Iraq, war was inevitable, and no amount of diplomacy would avert it short of giving up and living with a megalomaniacal dictator with a private stockpile of WMDs. I think anyone who thought there could be a peaceful solution to this was letting their idealism get the best of them.   ----------------------- ~The nerd occasionally known as Jociam Geist THINGS WILL BE DIFFERENT WHEN I RULE THE WORLD!
[This message has been edited by (edited March 20, 2003 4:01:40 PM)]
Fury
ComNet Overlord

[VE-ARMY] High General
[VE-VEHC] High General*

March 20, 2003 4:19:43 PM    View the profile of Fury 
Well Geist, there is always hope, though I really do agree with you on the inevitability of this situation happening. However, I am all for people who allow their idealism to override what you and I would call common sense.  On occassion their ideals triumph and it is usually a beautiful thing to see. I am running BBC video and CNN radio in my office so I've had ample opportunity to keep informed and still be productive.  It appears that most, if not all, of those were not Scuds, so we shall see how many more cards Saddam is holding later in the conflict.  As troops move further in and the air war heats up, I think the time for anyone hoping for some 11th hour miracle is about to be sorely disappointed.  Let's all take a moment of reflection on what that means and hope we can find better ways of accomplishing similar goals in other ways. As for whether or not you can work through your emotions in posts, I suggest letting someone else read it completely out of context or just going away for 10 minutes and re-reading your post before you click the Submit button.
Argon Viper
ComNet Expert

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-VEEC] Senior Writer

March 20, 2003 5:12:29 PM    View the profile of Argon Viper 
I've got to say I agree with Geist to a point on the insulting issue, I debate a lot at school on religion and politics, and I've got to say that it's very difficult to change someone's point of view without overtly calling the one they have moronic. However, if it must be done, call the view moronic, not the person. Anyways, I do have to agree with one part of Bushies' attack plan, even if I disagree with the rest of it.  Targetting Saddam's palaces first was a step in the right direction, if we get him first thing, this war could be over in days or even hours, and the new regime would probably be willing to disarm. Other than that, if Scuds are all they have, it's still not worth going to war...

-----------------------
Argon Viper
IW COL Argon Viper{ret}
Fury
ComNet Overlord

[VE-ARMY] High General
[VE-VEHC] High General*

March 20, 2003 8:29:02 PM    View the profile of Fury 
"Other than that, if Scuds are all they have, it's still not worth going to war..." I doubt the average Israeli, Kuwaiti, and Saudi would totally agree with you. (My original post didn't quite come across the way I meant it.)
[This message has been edited by Fury (edited March 20, 2003 10:43:46 PM)]
Geist
ComNet Initiate

March 20, 2003 9:01:25 PM    View the profile of Geist 
As I understand it, only one to three of the missiles fired at Kuwait are believed to be Scuds. (I'm a little behind in the news, having just gotten back from my little sister's wedding). It's believed that Hussein doesn't have very many Scuds left, and they're easier to intercept because of their steeper trajectory, so it isn't likely he will use too many of them for close range work. And Argon, why exactly should we presume that scuds are all he kept? Having once been proven a liar, why should we give him the benefit of the doubt on everything else? Ultimately, none of us can be sure until the dust settles and our boys have a chance to take a real, unhindered look at Saddam's war machine. Right now all we're being is Talking Heads like the analysts on the news. When this war is won, we will know for sure. Therefore, my only thesis in this at this time is that Saddam is a bad man that must be dealt with.

-----------------------
~The nerd occasionally known as Jociam Geist

Make no mistake, there are monsters in the world, and they don't usually back down because you ask them nicely.
Argon Viper
ComNet Expert

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-VEEC] Senior Writer

March 21, 2003 12:08:30 AM    View the profile of Argon Viper 
All I'm saying is that war is a negative thing, to be done only at the highest possible need.  WWII was one of those, a madman (strategic genius, but still a madman) conquering his neighbors one by one is a threat that only war can prevent.  However, a madman who has remained in control of a country that has only gone downhill for 12 years is not in the same category, not by the farthest stretch of the imagination. Anyways, if you'll notice, my argument hasn't been about war for a while (I may be a pacifist, but I respect your right not to be), it's been about how the US is handling this war.  By ignoring the majority of public opinion around the world, the United States has attacked a sovereign nation in an act that is specifically outlawed by the UN Charter. It is showing complete contempt for international law in an attempt to enforce it on someone else.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but at school, hitting a kid for having cocaine at school will get you in trouble, even if they were breaking the rules first. It's not something that can lead to good things, and I oppose it for that reason.

-----------------------
Argon Viper
IW COL Argon Viper{ret}
Geist
ComNet Initiate

March 21, 2003 12:53:17 AM    View the profile of Geist 
Actually, no. The majority of the world's population isn't against war in Iraq. The majority of the world's population JUST PLAIN DOESN'T CARE. Forty nations have publically pledged support for the United State's actions, and at least three votes on the UN security council were ours for the taking if we decided to pay the bribe they wanted. We didn't. Also, what part of the UN charter specifically outlaws the US's actions? The United States is taking action against Iraq under the authority granted it by numerous UN resolutions. The French, Russians, and Chinese are NOT the UN, even with their veto power. (as an aside, I have long considered the idea that individual nations had some kind of magical veto to kill un resolutions whenever they wanted to to be stupid. No one state should have that authority) And if you classify the United States violating international law as going in without UN sanction, then HEY, this is the third time for us in recent years. Can you say Rwanda and Kosovo? Two times where MASS GENOCIDE was taking place and the UN managed to do NOTHING. Just as France has done with Iraq, Russia threatened to veto any UN resolution calling for force to be used in Kosovo. Ultimately it was NATO, not the UN, that took care of things. THE UN DOES NOT FUNCTION. Most of the nations, including most on the security council, are too concerned with their own self interests to give a damn about anything else. Also, your analogy doesn't track. We aren't talking about some kid who has Cocain. We're talking about someone who HAS killed his people and his neighbors repeatedly in the past, has stated his intentions to dominate the region, and happens to have the weapons to make a try at it. It is MONTROUS to leave the man in power and hope that too many of his people and his neighbors won't die before the situation solves itself. To use a different analogy, if I see a kid on a playground carrying a gun with a record of killing people, the first thing I'm going to do is marvel at the fact that the law has somehow allowed this guy to still be around. If one of the cops just wants to wait for the kid to give up the gun on his own, two of the cops sold him the ammunition and have long standing deals with him, and most of the other cops want me to give them a payoff before they'll get off their fat donut eating rears and do something, then it seems to me that the police force doesn't function. When the law does nothing, the citizens have a responsibility to do something. Saddam Hussein is a power mad dictator who has spent decades killing people to secure his power and to enrich himself, KILL HIM AND BE DONE WITH IT.

-----------------------

Make no mistake, there are monsters in the world, and they don't usually back down because you ask them nicely.
Fury
ComNet Overlord

[VE-ARMY] High General
[VE-VEHC] High General*

March 21, 2003 1:50:56 AM    View the profile of Fury 
Or to be less blunt, this is not the first time the US has done something without UN approval.  It is remarkable that it even asked to do so. Nor is it the first time any of the more powerful nations have gone their own way without a giving a thought about international thought.  The very fact that we even asked the UN speaks volumes for the patience Bush had that I was not even aware of.  He could've struck in the fall, faced the same protests and probably have been ahead of the game.  Looking back on it all, you wonder why he even tried. The point is, condemnations be damned, there is not a state in that region who is going to be disappointed when Saddam and his crew are gone.  Granted, it might not lead to any situation the US may want, but I think most people are willing to take that chance.  As for long term damage to our foreign relations, most of the problems will be resolved by the elections in 2004 or 2008 at the far end, far shorter than the 12 years Saddam had to drag this situation out.  If nothing else, that is the magic of democracy.  Leaders come and go, the citizens still have their ability to speak their minds and vote accordingly. Cry all you want about John Ashcroft and George Bush, but there is a reason we still have three branches of government and some semblance of an open media.

-----------------------
PRF/MG Fury/VEA/TADATH/VE [SCP][PoC][SotE:HC][SotE:VEA][IOC]
Stormtrooper Corps Prefect
Shopkeeper - Imperial Center
Kjerri
ComNet Initiate

[VE-ARMY] Lance Corporal

Post Number:  115
Total Posts:  115
March 21, 2003 8:41:42 AM    View the profile of Kjerri 
Im telling you Fury, watch that special You'll see why he did it. (Going to the UN). And yes, the world will probably be better off without Saddam, heck it would be better off without Saedi Arabia's Regime, without the deseases in this world and famine going on in Africa. But its the timing which is not right, the timing after a war already, a time when the world is already unstable, and a time in which the economy needs some work. warmongering is exactly what this looks like, especially if he does Iran or NK next.   ----------------------- TRP/CPL Kjerri/2SQD/1PLT/1COM/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE [LoR] [LM] "I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day...tomorrow isn't looking good either."
[This message has been edited by Kjerri (edited March 21, 2003 8:44:33 AM)]
Argon Viper
ComNet Expert

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-VEEC] Senior Writer

March 21, 2003 8:42:37 AM    View the profile of Argon Viper 
Lesse, one by one.  First off, the attack on Kosovo is a pretty good example of this type of war gone right.  Then President Bill Clinton told our allies what we wanted, what was going on, presented concrete proof of it (not this stuff we presented that didn't fly when it was checked out), and went through NATO in order to acheive his objectives.  He refrained from a ground war, which would be seen as an invasion, bombed targets like bridges and tanks that would have few civilians by them, and he won. Now, let's see the situational differences here.  First off, regime change.  Check in one, check in the other.  Clinton got Melosovich, who is currently on trial for warcrimes at the Hague.  Bush is currently targetting Saddam specifically (the only part of this plan I agree with), and is obviously intending to kill him rather than put him up for war crimes or crimes against humanity. Second part, genocide.  Kosovo had it, no doubting it as it was taking place.  Saddam may be bloodthirsty, but he hasn't risen to that level yet, so there goes one difference. World support.  Clinton campaigned until he had it, it wasn't that difficult because he agreed to use NATO as the attack force, he agreed not to actually invade the country, and he kept all his allies and even those who didn't support the bombing informed on his objectives and attack plans.  Bush has run almost no international campaign for support.  He has gone up before the UN and presented pictures of things that may have been weapons, but which were later flatly denied by the weapons' inspectors. Anyways, more when I get back from school...

-----------------------
Argon Viper
IW COL Argon Viper{ret}
Geist
ComNet Initiate

March 21, 2003 5:24:24 PM    View the profile of Geist 
So... Saddam's okay because he's an equal oppotunity killer? Its fine if Saddam kills his population indiscriminately, executing, raping, and torturing just as long as it isn't focussed on one race? Sorry dude, that's just plain wrong headed thinking. (also there was that little thing about Kurds and chemical weapons, but we won't go there) I would also like to point out that I have heard of no effort by the international community to name Hussein a war criminal. That means no war crimes tribunal for him. He still needs killing though. No way around it, and nobody is going to shed any tears when he's finally gone. Also, on the subject of military and non-military targets... you HAVE been watching the same news reports, haven't you? We are going out of our way to avoid targeting civilians and make this as clean a war as possible. If we really wanted to crush the Iraqi military without any concern for civilians, it would be over already (and no, not using nukes). Between MOABs and daisy cutters and E-bombs and outright carpet bombing we could lay waste to baghdad and everything around it in short order. Hey, we ain't doing that. I wonder why? Also, over forty nations pledging their support to the US campaign doesn't matter as much as NATO going into Kosovo why? This is not a unilateral action. If it were an actual unilateral action, then HEY, we couldn't actually attack Iraq because they aren't on our border. We have support, we just don't have the support of those nations that think they are important. As for weapons inspectors? They were wrong and they know it. Hans Blix, for example, was mighty surprised to hear that Saddam was shooting missiles that he supposedly didn't have at Kuwait. As for the chemical weapons, wait and see. Once the dust settles we'll see who was right about that.

-----------------------

Bear
ComNet Member

[VE-NAVY] Captain (CAP)
[VE-VEEC] Chief Editor

March 22, 2003 10:30:24 AM    View the profile of Bear 
"I would also like to point out that I have heard of no effort by the international community to name Hussein a war criminal. That means no war crimes tribunal for him. He still needs killing though. No way around it, and nobody is going to shed any tears when he's finally gone." Wrong. You won't believe a word of this, but to my knowledge, its true: France (incredibly!) proposed a UN Resolution to the UN Security Council denouncing Saddam Hussein himself, and his Regime, and freezing all trade, assets, etc - in 1988, after Saddam Husseins gas attacks against the Kurds. This UN Resolution, in a slightly more complicated way than the one we might have seen a week or so ago, authorised millitary action against Iraq (specifically special forces & airstrikes, as opposed to a full on invasion). The resolution was passed - well, sort of. Because, at the time, Britain and the US relied on Iraqi trade and assistance so much, Britain voted against the resolution. There were still enough votes to pass it, no matter how the US had voted. The US, with a Republican Administration, used their veto. The French obviously have long memories.
[This message has been edited by Bear (edited March 22, 2003 10:33:37 AM)]
Geist
ComNet Initiate

March 22, 2003 2:15:53 PM    View the profile of Geist 
I'll believe it. The United States used to consider Hussein a valued ally. Like I said before, the UN does not function because its members are too concerned with their own interests. Giving certain states veto power over un resolutions just because they were on the winning side in WWII or just to make the Russians and Americans feel safe that one side or the other won't dominate the UN is stupid. No state should have that sort of power.

-----------------------

Argon Viper
ComNet Expert

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-VEEC] Senior Writer

March 22, 2003 3:55:44 PM    View the profile of Argon Viper 
I agree that no nation should have that power.  This would also mean that no nation should be allowed to commit an offensive action without majority approval of the UN General Assembly (not my rules, just how democracy works).  This would actually have created an attack long ago, back in the 1980's actually, but the US held it back. However, I feel that the French idea to deal with Saddam (economic sanctions coupled with specific special forces attacks) is far superior and less error prone than an actual military invasion. Even laser guided bombs miss sometimes, and when they do, they can kill dozens of civilians.  Soldiers on the ground can be blinded by sandstorms and commit fratricide (the cause of 50% of the casualties in the first Gulf War). Economic sanctions are far more precise, they can stop specific imports, block exports, and basically cut off a nation from things it needs to sustain the regime.  For example, if we imposed an embargo on bullets, Saddam's regime would collapse in months.  He has to do training excersizes, which mostly require real bullets, but if he uses them all there, he can no longer control the people. Something like that, combined with special forces raids on his military bases would destabilize him and remove him in a matter of months, without involving a massive scale invasion into a sovereign nation or using methods that could put civilian blood on our hands. "War is never better than peace, it's just faster" - Argon Viper And in this case, we need better, because we want this to actually last.  If we show people that they can get their way by going to war, what's going to stop them from doing it?  The only way to ensure peace is to get it through peaceful means. That's my view on the situation, and trust me, if we were serious about it, it would work thousands of times better than war.

-----------------------
Argon Viper
IW COL Argon Viper{ret}
Geist
ComNet Initiate

March 23, 2003 3:08:06 AM    View the profile of Geist 
Okay, I need you to clear something up. You thought WWII had to be fought, where we carpet bombed most of germany, firebombed most of japan, nuked two cities, and in general managed to lay waste to everything around us in the process of bringing our enemies to their knees. However, you don't like this war, because some of our weapons MIGHT go astray and MIGHT kill some civilians by accident? Don't you see a bit of a contradiction here? Have you stopped to think about how many Iraqi citizens would die and how many would suffer if we just imposed sanctions and sat around and waited for Hussein's regime to fall on its own? Don't the daily rape, torture and murder of civilians by the Iraqi government bother you just a little? Also, no matter the illustrious fictional history of the Fallen Angels and our ability to leap tall buildings in a single bound and whip legions of troops, in the REAL WORLD, special forces cannot by themselves break up a modern nation's military industrial complex. They can take out specific targets, but not major ones such as military bases and full sized military units. They could augment a main line army's ability to fight, which is only useful when said army is there to do the fighting. Alternately, they could be used to train the populace to rebel. But guess what, civil wars like that are among the bloodiest around. Ultimately the special forces aproach gains nothing that couldn't be attained as easily or even easier and cheaper (in terms of human life) with direct military intervention. Oh yeah, embargo bullets? BUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. You can't accomplish anything by embargoing bullets. Bullets are so easy to produce that even a twenty three year old unemployed computer nerd like me can do it in his spare time. You can (and the UN has) embargo weapons, but this depends on everyone playing fair and by the rules. You might be able to keep heavy weapons like tanks and fighters out of iraqi hands, but since a good AK-47 goes for about twenty bucks in parts of africa, you won't be able to keep infantry weapons from him, and guess what, it doesn't take a tank to opress a populace. And you're right, if we show people that they can get their way by going to war, then we have failed. What's going to stop them? If nobody else will, then hopefully US. Perhaps its time for someone on the world stage to stand up and say there's wrong in the world and I'm not going to stand for it anymore. Oh yeah, and you're right, peace is always better than war. A false peace on the other hand, where people are allowed to suffer and die in order to maintain the status quo, isn't peace at all. "Mars gravior sub pace latet." -Some latin guy

-----------------------

Argon Viper
ComNet Expert

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-VEEC] Senior Writer

March 23, 2003 4:09:45 PM    View the profile of Argon Viper 
Yes, but we should use economic power rather than military power to achieve our aims, or we are no better than Saddam.  Anyways, I'm gonna cover the point about WWII first... I believe that WWII never needed to be fought.  If France and Britain had stood up and said no when Hitler decided to take Austria, and kept on that track, Hitler never would have been powerful enough to even risk attacking.  It's what we're doing to Saddam right now. Now, considering the circumstances, yes, nations did force themselves into a position where they had to declare war.  However, it could have been done a lot better. I don't know about your way of thinking, but civilian lives always rank above soldiers.  Soldiers are meant to go into combat, fight, and even die for their countries.  Civilians take no such oaths, they are in an entirely different field and are not the targets in any war but that bent on genocide. To that end, I think you can tell my opinion of the carpet bombing of German cities and the A-bombs on Japan. Anyways, I'm starting to respect the EU a lot more these days after seeing how they use their power.  They don't force their way into a situation they have no business being in, they don't ask to get shot as a revenge for shooting someone else. What they do instead is say "you have this policy we don't like, we won't force you to change it, but you'll get no trade with us until you do".  This sort of warfare is far more preferable, because it will cause change from the inside, something that is far more stable than change from the outside. Already, we have reports of regular Iraqis taking up arms in defense of their country.  Would they have done this if Saddam had said "let's go invade Kuwait"?  No.  They are doing it because someone from the outside is taking the stance that they are going to comply or else, and it is an insult to their national identity. True, hundreds, if not thousands, are raped, tortured, and otherwise defiled, but they're not going to allow and invasion of their country, especially by the people who supported Saddam for so long.  As far as they know, we're just going to replace him with someone just as bad. Anyways, what I'm trying to say is that getting them to change their leadership is a better idea than changing it for them.  It's more stable, it has less stigma, and it's not a breach of international law. "give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  teach a man to fish, and he will eat for a lifetime." - Anonymous

-----------------------
Argon Viper
IW COL Argon Viper{ret}
Geist
ComNet Initiate

March 23, 2003 5:05:57 PM    View the profile of Geist 
Point by point. >>I believe that WWII never needed to be fought. If France and Britain had stood up and said no when Hitler decided to take Austria, and kept on that track, Hitler never would have been powerful enough to even risk attacking. It's what we're doing to Saddam right now. Now, considering the circumstances, yes, nations did force themselves into a position where they had to declare war. However, it could have been done a lot better. I don't know about your way of thinking, but civilian lives always rank above soldiers. Soldiers are meant to go into combat, fight, and even die for their countries. Civilians take no such oaths, they are in an entirely different field and are not the targets in any war but that bent on genocide. To that end, I think you can tell my opinion of the carpet bombing of German cities and the A-bombs on Japan.<< 1) if France and Britain had said no to Hitler early on, they would have had to been prepared to back it up with DIRECT MILITARY INTERVENTION. Just telling an agressor that they can't do something without being prepared to back it up accomplishes nothing. Establishing an economic blockade would have accomplished little more than encouraging Hitler to strike at France sooner. Hitler didn't opperate on reason, he opperated on pure megalomania, just like Saddam. 2) I will let the implied insult of your third paragraph pass. I say again, does the suffering of the Iraqui people under the reign of Saddam mean nothing to you? Why do you continually refuse to respond to that part of my argument? Do you somehow think there's nothing wrong with the continual tortue, rape, and murder of Iraqui civilians as a means to securing Saddams Rule? Do the acts of genocide committed against the Kurds by the Iraqui regime just not register with you? >>What they do instead is say "you have this policy we don't like, we won't force you to change it, but you'll get no trade with us until you do". This sort of warfare is far more preferable, because it will cause change from the inside, something that is far more stable than change from the outside.<< Hmm... french parts for Iraqui warplanes shipped under the guise of humanitarian aid, continued french deals with Hussein for Iraqui oil. Yeah, the EU are really white knights here. Don't delude yourself. >>Already, we have reports of regular Iraqis taking up arms in defense of their country. Would they have done this if Saddam had said "let's go invade Kuwait"? No. They are doing it because someone from the outside is taking the stance that they are going to comply or else, and it is an insult to their national identity.<< Bull. They are doing it because they have no choice. Their regular army is on the whole collapsing. We have Iraqui personel in captivity that have reported that they were ordered to fight or face the death of their families. Practically everywhere we go we are greeted by Iraquis hailing us as liberators. Pay attention to what's going on. >>True, hundreds, if not thousands, are raped, tortured, and otherwise defiled, but they're not going to allow and invasion of their country, especially by the people who supported Saddam for so long. As far as they know, we're just going to replace him with someone just as bad.<< Whoa, you really did respond to my main argument. Wait, no, you didn't. As I said above, Pay Attention. As I said further up, does the suffering of the Iraquis mean nothing to you? >>Anyways, what I'm trying to say is that getting them to change their leadership is a better idea than changing it for them. It's more stable, it has less stigma, and it's not a breach of international law.<< And I'm saying that sitting and waiting for that to happen is deluding yourself. Also, international law is a myth used by nations to justify their position. There is no hard and fast international law, and the closest thing to an international government we have has barely functioned since the mid fifties. At any rate, I'm done with this argument. I've said what I was going to say and I know I will never convince you of anything. I'm not going to sit here and continue to try. I've got more important things to do.

-----------------------

chipmunk man
ComNet Member

[VE-NAVY] Petty Officer 2nd Class (PO2)

Post Number:  930
Total Posts:  2064
March 23, 2003 8:14:27 PM    View the profile of chipmunk man 
Argon, when U.S. troops enter a town, they are being greeted by joyous cries of "Ameriki, Ameriki!" And that quote is from the Patriot News daily paper. The Iraqi's are so desprete, they're trying to surrender to journalists! They DON'T WANT SADDAM. HE IS TORTURING THEM. As Geist asked, does their suffering under him mean nothing to you?

-----------------------

"The point of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other &*@#$% die for his!"
                                                 -General Patton

FM/LCRW Chipmunk Man/Viper 1-4/Phoenix/mSSD Atrus/DEF/VEN/VE/(=A=)
ComNet > Neutral Messages > Archived Lounge > The Rules  |  New Posts    
  Pages:  [ 1 2 3 ]   

All times are CST. The time now is 3:28:08 PM
Comnet Jump:

Current Online Members - 0  |  Guests - 60  |  Bots - 0

< Contact Us - The Vast Empire >