Communications Network
Vast Empire  -  New Posts  -  Search  -  Statistics  -  Login 

ComNet > Imperial Navy > Archived Navy Main ComNet > The 58th "Strill" Squadron Topic

Pages:  [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >> ]   
Author
Topic:  The 58th "Strill" Squadron Topic
Avalar
ComNet Member

Avalar

[VE-NAVY] Petty Officer 2nd Class

Post Number:  342
Total Posts:  786
  RE: The 58th "Strill" Squadron Topic
February 28, 2013 11:06:16 AM    View the profile of Avalar 
HEY STRILL

Tryk has posted, and I better see a post from you. I can't always be here writing where you're not. Do you want CO or not? It's the last day to do something, so get your butts to the collab doc and start writing. You don't have much time left to write, and we're at the point where not posting could mean we lose CO as well as leave the story hanging awkwardly like Bloodmoon. I'd like to not lose the lead we had and I'd like to not have the story hanging out awkwardly with barely any description and a vague ending.

With that said, GET TO WRITING.

Also it's it's reports day. So make sure to get that in today. Today means Comnet time preferably.
SXO | PO2 Avalar | Iron 2 | S:58 Strill | W:101 Blade | ISD Adjudicator | TF:A | 2Flt | VEN | VE

[SoA]  [MC1]  [CC:W]
Heliwer117
ComNet Member

Heliwer117

[VE-ARMY] Senior Sergeant

Post Number:  445
Total Posts:  467
February 28, 2013 11:42:18 AM    View the profile of Heliwer117 
Dang it. Wring profile.
TRP/SSG Heliwer/2SQD/1PLT/1COM/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE
[ES1][EW1][PT][ECA] [A5] [QW12]

"Any problem on Earth can be solved with the careful application of high explosives. The trick is not to be around when they go off." - Valkyrie

Imperial Network Star Wars Image
[This message has been edited by Heliwer (edited February 28, 2013 11:53:57 AM)]
Sturmwind
ComNet n00b

Sturmwind

[VE-NAVY] Leading Crewman

Post Number:  17
Total Posts:  25
February 28, 2013 11:54:20 AM    View the profile of Sturmwind 
Hrmm... Any of you guys know of any tutorials on writing combat sections? I'm having a little bit of trouble getting it down, and I also don't want to screw up anything with regards to how the flights work
FM/LCRW/Sturmwind/Iron Three/S: 58th "Strill"|W: 101st "Blade"|ISD-II  Adjudicator |TF:A|2FL|SFC|VEN|VE
Gurlanin
ComNet Initiate

Gurlanin

Post Number:  102
Total Posts:  757
February 28, 2013 1:17:08 PM    View the profile of Gurlanin 
I don't, but I'm sure a few of us would be more than willing to give you a few pointers. I can, if you want, for example.
Leading Crewman Grent "Gurlanin" Notimo, 58th (Strill) Squadron

FM | LCRW Gurlanin | Iron Eight | S:58 "Strill" | W:101 "Blade" | ISD II "Adjudicator" | TF:Aurek | 2nd Fleet | SC | VEN | VE

{GrAt}{AFM}{Infl}{SFT}
(=TG=)

Retreat ....... Hell! We just got here!
Sturmwind
ComNet n00b

Sturmwind

Post Number:  18
February 28, 2013 1:45:32 PM    View the profile of Sturmwind 
Sure. I've had trouble with fighting bits for a while now. Can't seem to get them right, and I can't seem to draw it out enough.
FM/LCRW/Sturmwind/Iron Three/S: 58th "Strill"|W: 101st "Blade"|ISD-II  Adjudicator |TF:A|2FL|SFC|VEN|VE
Gurlanin
ComNet Initiate

Gurlanin

Post Number:  103
February 28, 2013 2:00:03 PM    View the profile of Gurlanin 
I know exactly what you mean.

I like looking through the Naval Certs board, and having a look at some of the other people's writing for inspiration. Also, adding other perspectives in, as well as describing what's happening in detail, helps add bulk.

It's a matter of just adding more each time. Just a few words here and there. Eventually, you get a bigger post.

Though, remember that it's quality, over quantity. Don't give in to the temptation to waffle. A bigger post, doesn't always mean better.

FM | LCRW Gurlanin | Iron Eight | S:58 "Strill" | W:101 "Blade" | ISD II "Adjudicator" | TF:Aurek | 2nd Fleet | SC | VEN | VE

{GrAt}{AFM}{Infl}{SFT}
(=TG=)

Sturmwind
ComNet n00b

Sturmwind

Post Number:  19
February 28, 2013 2:05:59 PM    View the profile of Sturmwind 
Ok, thanks. It should be done soon.
Avalar
ComNet Member

Avalar

Post Number:  343
February 28, 2013 2:15:32 PM    View the profile of Avalar 
As Gur said, quality is always better than quantity.

Looking at Naval Certs is a good idea. It also helps to think "what do I want this post to end as". Do you want someone to get shot down? If so, who? Does your character have a run in with a TIE and gets damaged? Whatever your outline is will help determine what your plan of action might be.

Take that outline and start thinking about the how. Visualizing fighting on the ground is much different than in the air, much less space. You now have three directions to consider as well as the physics of the craft. This seems extremely daunting but actually sometimes reading up on basic flight maneuvers can help a lot. There's a good link that has both basic and advanced flight maneuvers but I seemed to have lost the link...

But do research, describe your character's reactions, and describe what's going on around you and you will be fine. It's a learning process and you'll only get better the more you push yourself.

On a different note, those who haven't posted this week are free to get shot down in another member's post. No that doesn't include me. I posted this week, and I have been helping on other fronts.
SXO | PO2 Avalar | Iron 2 | S:58 Strill | W:101 Blade | ISD Adjudicator | TF:A | 2Flt | VEN | VE

Sturmwind
ComNet n00b

Sturmwind

Post Number:  20
February 28, 2013 2:19:33 PM    View the profile of Sturmwind 
Thanks Avalar. I think I know what I'll do for my post now. Get it up on the thread and on the squad colab doc.
Gurlanin
ComNet Initiate

Gurlanin

Post Number:  104
February 28, 2013 2:40:38 PM    View the profile of Gurlanin 
As I said in my report, I'll post mine later, because of the extra bit Tryk wants me to do.

{GrAt}{AFM}{Infl}{SFT}
(=TG=)

Sturmwind
ComNet n00b

Sturmwind

Post Number:  21
February 28, 2013 2:45:28 PM    View the profile of Sturmwind 
Ok, I am done. Hope it's good enough.
Gurlanin
ComNet Initiate

Gurlanin

Post Number:  105
February 28, 2013 2:46:43 PM    View the profile of Gurlanin 
You are Strill. Do not doubt yourself.

{GrAt}{AFM}{Infl}{SFT}
(=TG=)

Sturmwind
ComNet n00b

Sturmwind

Post Number:  23
February 28, 2013 2:56:58 PM    View the profile of Sturmwind 
That'll be another thing to get used to; not doubting myself. I've gone to about five different people getting them to read what I have in my story so far and tell me what they think, and even though they all agree it's great, I still haven't moved a word more because I think I still could do better in a lotta places.
Gurlanin
ComNet Initiate

Gurlanin

Post Number:  106
February 28, 2013 2:58:06 PM    View the profile of Gurlanin 
It was absolutely fine. Being able to let your character get shot down, even if it was only in a sim, is an admiral quality. Most people don't like letting it happen to their person.

{GrAt}{AFM}{Infl}{SFT}
(=TG=)

Avalar
ComNet Member

Avalar

Post Number:  344
February 28, 2013 3:00:15 PM    View the profile of Avalar 
Hey Sturm, it is a pretty great post. If you want, you can go look at my posts from when i first started. Those compared to now show how much I've improved. There's no doubt you will do the same. It just takes time and practice. Also there's only so much you can do in a sim run. And getting shot down is hell of a lot of fun. XD

And yes Gur, I know about your holding out. You've already posted so much, nice to see you holding back for once.

Also we seem to have a love for using Thicket >.> Totally fine. I'll be open to it *twitches from lack of control*

Trykon
ComNet Marshal

Trykon

[VE-DJO] Adept
[VE-NAVY] Captain

Post Number:  2474
Total Posts:  3784
February 28, 2013 3:56:06 PM    View the profile of Trykon 
Just popping in to weigh in on Sturm's question. 

The suggestions so far are really great, Sturmwind.  The Certs ComNet is a good source of longer-form story posts for you to look at for reference, and just looking through the Naval Story Board is a great way to see smaller story posts, and like Avalar said you can really see how members have grown and improved over time, that way.  Gurlanin's point - that you can switch POVs mid-post, to get up to the word count minimum - is also a good one, as is his reminder that quality is much, much more important than quantity.

My addition to the conversation is just to stress that last point: remember, despite the average word count of this particular story so far (which is very impressive, and big), the minimum word count for official Navy stories is only 500 words.  You don't have to aim to write a novella every time you post, in other words. 

Lastly, I'll just say that, while the VE does not condone piracy or the theft of intellectual property, the internet is also a vast place.  There are plenty of Star Wars short stories and books (published works) that are floating around the internet, free to read, that don't even require you to screw the publishing companies (or the parent company, which is now the scary, monolithic Disney corporation) out of money.  Go searching.  It's totally worth it.  The Wraith Squadron books within the X-Wing series would be especially instructive for Strill pilots to get ahold of. 

Gurlanin, while I'm here in this thread: go ahead and post something else to the story now, if you want.  The bit you showed me, with the interruption?  Post that between 12 and 16 hours from now, if you want to work it in.  Otherwise, it'll come too early or too late.  Although, now I'm thinking about it, you COULD just post it after my "moving on" post, to show the scene from a different POV.  Up to you: post to a specific deadline, or just wait til I post and then plop yours down after. 
CNW/CPT Wyl "Trick" Trykon/ISD Adjudicator/TF:A/2Flt/FC/VEN/VE

[SoA][SoV][BWC][NSM][E][NAR][HNS][DSM][SWC][1NS][VC:B][LoM][VC:S][NC][GWC][VC:G][CoB][CC:3][2NS][LSM][VC:E][MSM]
(=*AE*=)(=*SAE*=)(=*TG*=)(=*SCFE*=)(=*FOCE*=)

TRN/AD Trykon/DJO/VEDJ
Gurlanin
ComNet Initiate

Gurlanin

Post Number:  107
February 28, 2013 3:59:01 PM    View the profile of Gurlanin 
Fair enough, Tryk. I'll work to around 13 hours. 1000 Zulu.

{GrAt}{AFM}{Infl}{SFT}
(=TG=)

Gurlanin
ComNet Initiate

Gurlanin

Post Number:  111
February 28, 2013 5:07:16 PM    View the profile of Gurlanin 
I posted a quick one, and added it to the Strill colab doc.

{GrAt}{AFM}{Infl}{SFT}
(=TG=)

"This... is an ex-enemy."
-RC-1262 ("Scorch")
Joamer
ComNet Member

Joamer

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-NAVY] Chief Warrant Officer

Post Number:  880
Total Posts:  997
March 1, 2013 12:28:53 AM    View the profile of Joamer 
And the sim is complete. Of course it ends before we find out if Trykon survived(He did not btw, the shield bubbles were literally touching each other when it went dark. Plus even if he survived the explosion he had Xanin and Gur coming in from opposite directions.)

But, this does lead up to a future rematch.
Joamer Tremaine Reistlin
Chief Warrant Officer, Squadron Commanding Officer
Aurek Flight, Strill Squadron

SCO|CWO Joamer|Iron One|Squadron: The 58th  "Strill"|Wing: 101st "Blade"|ISD-II  Adjudicator |TF:A|2FL|SFC|VEN|VE
[CC:P] [CC:W] [SoV] [LoM] [E]
In memory of Ghost squad, we will never forget.
Trykon
ComNet Marshal

Trykon

[VE-DJO] Adept
[VE-NAVY] Captain

Post Number:  2482
March 1, 2013 12:36:41 AM    View the profile of Trykon 
/me smirks.

Okay, Gurlanin, I'm waitin' to see your reworked post, and I'll follow with something of my own.

Great work, Strillians.  I'm giving you plenty to work with once we hit the Sollamens, so don't get too comfortable. 

[SoA][SoV][BWC][NSM][E][NAR][HNS][DSM][SWC][1NS][VC:B][LoM][VC:S][NC][GWC][VC:G][CoB][CC:3][2NS][LSM][VC:E][MSM]

TRN/AD Trykon/DJO/VEDJ
Avalar
ComNet Member

Avalar

Post Number:  345
March 1, 2013 12:54:59 AM    View the profile of Avalar 
Makenna died in glorious sim death.

And poor Thatcher just ended up who knows where. *looks for Thatcher amidst the debris*

Also I can't wait to see Tryk's reaction to that sim. >.>

Trykon
ComNet Marshal

Trykon

[VE-DJO] Adept
[VE-NAVY] Captain

Post Number:  2485
March 1, 2013 3:31:35 AM    View the profile of Trykon 
There's Trick's reaction, Avalar: poised, and in control, until the sim ends unexpectedly.  A flash of anger, then all business when he gets the news about StOrMz.    He's a classy guy, Trykon. 

And, Joamer: Trick might have been taken out by the explosion, or he might not have.  I'll let you hold on to your hopes.    But, you seem to have forgotten: Trick had a TIE Phantom to call on, too.  Whether you killed my PC or not, you all would have been taken out by the stealth ship.  I'm going to choose to believe Trykon would have survived, though in a crippled fighter.  Even with the subsequent victory, though, he would have been very, very proud of Strill Squadron, and quite impressed with your performance.

But that was the point of that whole subplot, folks: in the face of truly overwhelming odds, Strill came together to use an incredibly dangerous and outside-the-box tactic, which was very effective.  Really well done, y'all.

And, as I said earlier, don't relax, now: the main event is about to begin.  And Strill is going to have plenty to do in the Sollamens! 

TRN/AD Trykon/DJO/VEDJ
Gurlanin
ComNet Initiate

Gurlanin

Post Number:  113
March 1, 2013 3:44:38 AM    View the profile of Gurlanin 
Reworked and posted. Early, I know, but I'm not able to post later.

{GrAt}{AFM}{Infl}{SFT}
(=TG=)

"This... is an ex-enemy."
-RC-1262 ("Scorch")
Trykon
ComNet Marshal

Trykon

[VE-DJO] Adept
[VE-NAVY] Captain

Post Number:  2486
March 1, 2013 3:46:22 AM    View the profile of Trykon 
No worries, Gurlanin.  Thanks for waiting for such a specific timeframe to post.    Glad we could find a way for you to use your scene. 

TRN/AD Trykon/DJO/VEDJ
Avalar
ComNet Member

Avalar

Post Number:  346
March 1, 2013 11:23:14 AM    View the profile of Avalar 
And everything explodes into action!

Gah. This is motivation for me to write my entire paper today. I have to get that done before I can do anything here. Why must homework exist??????

Also happy March 1st, Strill. I'll also get the weekly report up today summarizing the things that have happened and what is going on.

Gurlanin
ComNet Initiate

Gurlanin

Post Number:  119
March 1, 2013 6:19:00 PM    View the profile of Gurlanin 
Well, I'm off for the weekend, if you guys can cope without your newbie for a couple of days!

Give you lot a chance to catch up :P

{GrAt}{AFM}{Infl}{SFT}
(=TG=)

"Don't call me sir! I work for a living ..."
Avalar
ComNet Member

Avalar

Post Number:  348
March 1, 2013 8:17:24 PM    View the profile of Avalar 
Learn your place, Gur. Some of us have a real life to deal with

Hades
ComNet Marshal
Imperial Baronet

Hades

[VE-NAVY] Ensign

Post Number:  880
Total Posts:  1245
March 1, 2013 8:30:55 PM    View the profile of Hades 
Avalar wrote:Some of us have a real life to deal with

Except Av. She pretends she does, but actually she's dreaming about Hades. True life facts.

Chief of Naval Training, 50th Squadron Commander

SCO | ESN "Hades" | Cobalt 1 | S:50 "Chlovi" | W:101 "Blade" | ISD Adjudicator | TF:Aurek | 2nd Fleet | SC | VEN | VE
CNT | ESN "Hades" | PLF Cappadocious | VENA | VEN | VE

VENI

"When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's superior, make life rue the day it thought it could give Demetrius Aita lemons, do you know who I am?! I'm the man who's going to burn your house down - with the lemons!"
-- Hades

{INTER} {SfrM} {XenMA} {GrAt} (=*SWC*=) (=TG=) {AFM} {HypM} {0Gee} {INFL}
Imperial Network Star Wars Image
Joamer
ComNet Member

Joamer

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-NAVY] Chief Warrant Officer

Post Number:  882
Total Posts:  997
March 3, 2013 1:08:11 AM    View the profile of Joamer 
Strill Weekly Report
03/02/2013

The Story as it Stands

We've jumped ahead to securing the hangar on the Asteroid Gwodd LK Nale. After a very short battle everything seems peaceful but it's going to turn very bad very quickly.

I've been working up some numbers for our forces and they are all sorts of bad. On our side are our 24 Interceptors and 12 Bombers from Gundark. Ground forces are roughly a battalion in strength 613 troops  64 squads in total. We do get a cheat a bit and have many droids on our hands. However their numbers will not be great. They will also not be combat oriented.

Against us will be a legion of spec-ops. If it's a true legion this means nearly 10,000 troops.

Strill roster (which is constantly updated) can be found here

Our wiki page is also actually up to date!

Words from your SC and XO

SC: I thought the week would be slow and it was. But in the final hour a few stepped up and proved to me I made the right choice for this squadron. However, not everyone did.

XO: As Joamer said, this week has been slow, and a couple of you came in to help. But overall, this is not the kind of activity expected for every week. Also, if you're going to be gone for any reason, please post leave. If you disappear with no word to us, bad things will happen.

Member Activity

Each member is listed in order of rank/position, if they reported, and how many posts they posted this week (Sat-Sat).

SCO CWO Joamer
•    Posts 2
•    Report Y
•    Total story posts: 4
SXO PO2 Avalar
•    Posts 1
•    Report Y
•    Total story posts: 4
FM PO2 Honeydew
•    Posts 0
•    Report N
•    Total story posts: 0
FL SCRW Rikky
•    Posts 0
•    Report N
•    Total story posts: 1
FM SCRW Xanin
•    Posts 1
•    Report Y
•    Total story posts: 3
FM LCRW Gurlanin
•    Posts 2
•    Report Y
•    Total story posts: 5
FM LCRW Sturmwind
•    Posts 1
•    Report N
•    Total story posts: 2

Dog House

Rikky and Honeydew. No report and no activity from either of you this week. Please inform us of where you are and what your plans are please. If you don't next week things get worse than just this warning.

End report

58th Strill Squadron
“We are the Ghosts and the Darkness”
Gurlanin
ComNet Initiate

Gurlanin

Post Number:  120
March 3, 2013 1:11:20 PM    View the profile of Gurlanin 
Aaand I'm back from my course at the weekend. I passed, and am now catching up everything I missed.

{GrAt}{AFM}{Infl}{SFT}
(=TG=)

"Don't call me sir! I work for a living ..."
ComNet > Imperial Navy > Archived Navy Main ComNet > The 58th "Strill" Squadron Topic  |  New Posts    
  Pages:  [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >> ]   

All times are CST. The time now is 9:34:15 AM
Comnet Jump:

Current Online Members - 0  |  Guests - 98  |  Bots - 2

< Contact Us - The Vast Empire >