JMac
ComNet Veteran

[VE-DJO] Dark Jedi Knight (DJK)
[VE-NAVY] Lt. Commander (LCM)

Post Number:  1029
Total Posts:  1216
  RE: The Catholic Church
April 29, 2002 1:16:50 PM    View the profile of JMac 
What do you think of the current situation, what caused it, and what should be done to correct the problem?

-----------------------
[army] Fishman
FM/SCRW JMac/Aegis 3-4/Aegis 12/(=A=)(MC1)
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
"In order to find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God."
- Braveheart
Aegis 4ever!!!
Anakin
ComNet Overlord

[VE-ARMY] General
[VE-VEHC] General

Post Number:  361
Total Posts:  358
April 29, 2002 2:37:53 PM    View the profile of Anakin 
I think its an just a reason for the media to go after the church.  Yeah it needs to be known...but its something that doesn't need to be annouced to the world...expecially as hastily as it has been.  Not that I agree or disagree with it.  But on the bright side at least they are TRYING to do something about it.  Last year, (I won't mention the church, but those who know where I live know which one I'm talking about), there was a case exactly like what is happening to the catholic church.  A bishop was accused of sexual abuse to many child members of his area.  What happened?  They (being victims and witnesses) were paid off to be quiet.  3 million dollars worth to be exact.  So all they did was cover it up.  My point here....It happens to every single religion in the world today...there is no getting around it.  I for one am glad about the catholic church's opinions and their action so far...however I'd like to see more results.  However I do completely blame the media with their terrible perception of the events that have come about.  They are quick to point fingers.  All I can say is don't believe everything you hear... there is my 2 cents   ----------------------- -=:General Anakin:=- Executive Officer for the Vast Empire XO/GN Anakin/HC-2/Lotaith/VE [SCP][CDS][IOC][CM-SS][LoCx23] YAPI!!!!! E-mail 
[This message has been edited by Anakin (edited April 29, 2002 2:39:37 PM)]
Argon Viper
ComNet Expert

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-VEEC] Senior Writer

Post Number:  1789
Total Posts:  1789
April 29, 2002 6:43:48 PM    View the profile of Argon Viper 
You sure it's being taken care of?  I read that they're not even telling the pope about it because they "think it might damage his health".  This is the time when he should taking fast and strong action and they aren't even telling him about it?  Another thing I'd like to know is how people like that become priests in the first place.  Sure, they're getting rid of the old guys, but who cares if a new generation is just gonna step in and repeat it.  JMac, enjoy 

-----------------------
Argon Viper
IW COL Argon Viper{ret}
"History is on the move, those who cannot keep up will watch from a distance, and those who get in our way will not watch at all" - Grand Admiral Thrawn
"How boring life would be if everyone felt the same way we do..." - Argon Viper
"Condemnation does not liberate, it oppresses" - Carl G Jung
Liquid
ComNet Member

[VE-NAVY] 1st Lieutenant (1LT)

Post Number:  612
Total Posts:  679
April 30, 2002 8:00:10 AM    View the profile of Liquid 
I for one think that this is a good thing.  Not the events that caused it, and I think that the media is going overboard on it cause they like beating on the church, but still, the Catholic Church has needed a good purging for a very long time.  I believe it will be much like a forest fire.  This will clear out the dead brush, and what is left will be much stronger for it.  There are several factors, as I see it, that caused this.  The first is that the bishops were more concerned with protecting themselves and their reputations then with actually doing God's work.  Another is the "modernization of the church."  THe church started to become more politically correct in its actions, which goes directly against what it was founded on and what the bible says.  For instince, there are more and more homosexuals entering the priesthood.  That goes completely against church teaching and the bible.  God wasted 3 cities because of homosexuality!  And that is just one way that the church began slipping.  As this started to happen, the church became more "accepting" in their beliefs and was corrupted. On another note, I do not think that the church creates pediophiles.  I think that they became priests to gain easy access.  Who would have suspected a priest three years ago?

-----------------------
"Pain is weakness leaving the body" - US Marines

EFM/PO2 Liquid/Aegis 1-3/Wing1/mSSD Atrus/DEF/VEN/VE/(=A=)(=SA=)
JMac
ComNet Veteran

April 30, 2002 8:04:49 AM    View the profile of JMac 
That was me that just posted!!!  My school's network is a peice of crap, and Liquid and I both use it!  It keeps posting me as him, so just to let you know.

-----------------------
[army] Fishman
EFM/PO2 JMac/Aegis 3-4/Aegis 12/(=A=)(MC1)
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Braveheart
Aegis 4ever!!!
Fury
ComNet Overlord

[VE-ARMY] High General
[VE-VEHC] High General*

Post Number:  1578
Total Posts:  2689
April 30, 2002 9:24:24 AM    View the profile of Fury 
Actually JMac, a lot of people would have suspected this years ago.  I just think the media got told by the government to quit talking about our inefficient airport security program and go bug the religious types for awhile But on a more serious note, you'll notice that this problem is only coming to a head here in the US.  Why?  A couple reasons I think.  This is the arm of the Church that is most likely to stray from papal teachings (so much for all those fundamentalists calling us the most holy of nations - yes, you non-Americans can have a chuckle at that).  Plus, there has been a shortage of priests and nuns for years.  They really are in a pinch to take what they can get and try to spread out their resources as far as they can. Does this mean we should start letting priests marry?  I dunno.  But let's take this a step further.  Does this mean we should let nuns marry?  Are you sociologically prepared to see maternity habits?  I don't really have a formed opinion on this, but I do know that even if it takes importing priests from other nations, a church should be the last place a parishioner, adult or child, should feel threatened.

-----------------------
XO/LTC Fury/VEA/TADATH/VE [PoC][SotE:HC][SotE:VEA][IOC]
Company Commander
Shopkeeper - Imperial Center
Raziel
ComNet Member

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major

Post Number:  864
Total Posts:  2873
April 30, 2002 10:32:27 AM    View the profile of Raziel 
Ah well i'm seriously glad there are very few heavily religious areas in the UK. I'd hate to live in one. The church has so little power here now, i know of very few religious people in my school

-----------------------
SL/SGMTRaziel/4SQD/1COMP/1BAT/1RGT/Tadath/VEA/ {EW1}
Squad Leader - Squad4 Wraiths
Argon Viper
ComNet Expert

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-VEEC] Senior Writer

April 30, 2002 8:05:22 PM    View the profile of Argon Viper 
/me smacks Raz.  Don't rub it in  As to religion, my belief is simple.  You can make someone believe that an all powerful God , that this God should be worshipped and obeyed without question.  At that point, you convince them that you are the one who interprets this God.  How much power do you have now? I'm sure Raz enjoyed that    To the rest of you, have fun 

-----------------------
Argon Viper
IW COL Argon Viper{ret}
"History is on the move, those who cannot keep up will watch from a distance, and those who get in our way will not watch at all" - Grand Admiral Thrawn
JMac
ComNet Veteran

May 1, 2002 8:11:41 AM    View the profile of JMac 
Fury, very good points.  Argon, while it is true that many people do abuse people's faith in God for their own gain, that is not what it is all about.  I am against religion.  I do not like it at all.  Faith in the lord Jesus Christ is another thing entirely. 

-----------------------
[army] Fishman
- Braveheart
Aegis 4ever!!!
Raziel
ComNet Member

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major

May 1, 2002 12:15:29 AM    View the profile of Raziel 
scuse me while i put down all appropriate smileys: :P

-----------------------
Raziel
ComNet Member

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major

May 1, 2002 12:18:28 AM    View the profile of Raziel 
Now Jmac, as long as you do things which could be classified as "Good" things because of your religion (dont tell me its not) then i am fine and happy, i have a right to laugh at whoever i want But wouldnt it be better that you could say that you do things because you are genuinely a nice person rather than because you're following rules that some higher being or dead guy tells you to do?

-----------------------
Argon Viper
ComNet Expert

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-VEEC] Senior Writer

May 1, 2002 6:11:02 PM    View the profile of Argon Viper 
LOL!!!  Nice point Raz.  Also, JMac, the simple fact is that 'good' and 'evil' are completely relative, not only in relation to each other, but also compared to what another person calls 'good' or 'evil'.  For example, the entire US is united(mostly, I'm an obvious exception...) in the belief that terrorism is 'evil'.  However, look to the Middle East, and you find that most of them think that terrorism is completely 'good'.  Once again, we have a difference in what is 'good' and 'evil'.  If you want another couple hundred examples, then ask   

-----------------------
Argon Viper
IW COL Argon Viper{ret}
JMac
ComNet Veteran

May 2, 2002 1:38:46 PM    View the profile of JMac 
You have just expressed what I feel is the greatest sickness of our society today.  That sickness is the belief "what is true for me may not be true to you."  That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard, (and believe me, I have heard it quite often.)  That isn't a description of truth, that is a description of opinion.  You say that beagles are the greatest dog ever.  Fine, that is an opinion.  But I don't care that you believe that it is the truth that the world is flat with all your heart, it doesn't make it true.  That is not truth!  Belief does not make things true!  Some things are the truth.  The sociopath believes that it is true that all human life but his is meaningless, but that doesn't make it true.  The rapist may feel that the woman he rapes is less then human, but that doesn't make it true.  A dictator may believe that he has the right to kill off half his population, but that doesn't make it true.  Some things are true, and belief, no matter how strong, does not make it truth, it makes it opinion.

-----------------------
[army] Fishman
- Braveheart
Aegis 4ever!!!
Argon Viper
ComNet Expert

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-VEEC] Senior Writer

May 2, 2002 7:18:05 PM    View the profile of Argon Viper 
JMac, you completely missed my point.  Things like "the world is flat", I will agree are completely wrong.  However, this is because they have been proven.  Things like "beagles are the greatest type of dog" have not.  This means that we have to be tolerant of others' points of view.  For example, the Aztecs believed that pricking themselves and burning the hearts of captured enemies was right, in fact, it was mandatory to them.  However, by today's standards, that it wrong.  Yet we have no absolute proof, do we?  Once again, let me reiterate that a religious text is only proof if you actually believe in that specific religion, so don't bother citing it to me.  Until you prove to me, logically and mathematically that something is definitely 'wrong' or 'right', I won't believe you.  Until then, I will continue to believe that right and wrong are completely based on your opinion.  For a better example, you think I'm wrong here, yet I think I'm right.  Can either side prove their position beyond a doubt?  No.  The fact that I can prove mine to within fractions of a doubt is irrelevant, the fact that your position still has that fraction of possibility means that I will respect it without question.  However, that won't stop me from arguing with it  "The Mad Philosopher"   ----------------------- Argon Viper IW COL Argon Viper{ret} "History is on the move, those who cannot keep up will watch from a distance, and those who get in our way will not watch at all" - Grand Admiral Thrawn "How boring life would be if everyone felt the same way we do..." - Argon Viper "Condemnation does not liberate, it oppresses" - Carl G Jung
[This message has been edited by Argon Viper (edited May 2, 2002 7:19:56 PM)]
JMac
ComNet Veteran

May 3, 2002 1:34:20 PM    View the profile of JMac 
Irespect you, and I respect most of your opinions.  I agree that, while I think that I am right, I may be completely wrong. But I do not respect that stance at all.  Sure, some things people think are right, some think that they are wrong.  I for one think that it is perfectly alright to have chicken with cocktail sauce.  Others disagree.  Some things are simply and irrevocably wrong, however.  If a man broke into your home and raped your mother, thinking that he was in the right, that would be wrong!  If  someone walks into a school wuith an automatic weapon and starts killing people at random, that is wrong!  Some things are simply wrong, and there should be no debate about that!

-----------------------
[army] Fishman
- Braveheart
Aegis 4ever!!!
Bear
ComNet Member

[VE-NAVY] Captain (CAP)
[VE-VEEC] Chief Editor

Post Number:  949
Total Posts:  947
May 3, 2002 2:25:28 PM    View the profile of Bear 
ter·ror·ism  n. The unlawful use or threatened use of force or violence by a person or an organized group against people or property with the intention of intimidating or coercing societies or governments, often for ideological or political reasons. freedom fighter n. One engaged in armed rebellion or resistance against an oppressive government. The people in the Middle East (those whom, apparently, think terrorism is "good") are making maximum use of their available resources to fight for what they have fought for for a long time. The Palestinians (I assume those are the ones who apparently think terrorism is "good"?) are using the only weapons at their disposal to fight for their cause - they have already shown they have a cause, by electing a president to lead them, both politically and millitarily. They are not a person (see definition of terrorism) or group, but a race and a nationality, who used to live in that area, and now have no say in the way their country is run. A government which has no respect for their wishes, and does not allow them to talk in a political sense (Arial Sharon refusing to speak to Arafat under any circumstances) controls their land - from their viewpoint, this government is oppressive, and they are fighting for the basic human right to have a say. Therefore, under the definition from dictionary.com, the Palestians are Freedom Fighters. Al Quada belong to no country/race, so are terrorists (under the definition). On the other hand, the IRA belong to a country (the Irish Republic), and have a political wing (which negotiates very effectively with the British government), so are neither terrorists nor freedom fighters. Basically, the people in the middle east do not get a say in the politics of how their home is run, and are continuously shunted around, attacked and oppressed - their best weapon is to strap explosives to themselves and to run into crowded cafes, much like General Grant in the US Civil War, whos best weapon was to destroy as much of the enemy infrastructure as possible, by burning, pillaging etc. Thats my views on that   ----------------------- CMDR/CAP Aaron 'Bear' Le'pue/Flight School 1/Training Fleet/Plt Saratoga/VEN/VE (=A=) (=SA=) (=FOCE=) (=JCPA=) [BRC] [BRC] [LSM] [LoC] [NDM] VE Today Chief Editor ----------------------- Bear - [email protected] Vast Empire Today - [email protected]
[This message has been edited by Bear (edited May 3, 2002 2:27:51 PM)]
Bear
ComNet Member

[VE-NAVY] Captain (CAP)
[VE-VEEC] Chief Editor

Post Number:  949
Total Posts:  947
May 3, 2002 2:35:20 PM    View the profile of Bear 
That was in response to Argon saying "in the middle east, they think terrorism is good" btw

-----------------------
CMDR/CAP Aaron 'Bear' Le'pue/Flight School 1/Training Fleet/Plt Saratoga/VEN/VE (=A=) (=SA=) (=FOCE=) (=JCPA=) [BRC] [BRC] [LSM] [LoC] [NDM]
VE Today Chief Editor
-----------------------
Bear - [email protected]
Vast Empire Today - [email protected]
Argon Viper
ComNet Expert

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-VEEC] Senior Writer

May 8, 2002 8:48:24 PM    View the profile of Argon Viper 
JMac, I will tolerate everyone and everything so long as they do what they truly believe is right.  To do otherwise would be completely wrong.  What you're missing here is my definition of tolerance.  You are correct that I would take maximum action against anyone who lashes out against me, but the difference between you and me is that you will not even attempt to understand their reasoning.  "We cannot change anything until we accept it.  Condemnation does not liberate, it oppresses." Carl G Jung I accept the fact that there are people who will do things like that, and, in doing so, I have a far better chance of stopping it than you do.  My belief is that these countries that continually condemn actions and beliefs will fall, for the simple fact that they will become unable to defend themselves against them.  I agree with what Bear said about the difference between freedom fighters and terrorists, however, I believe that there's a deeper root to it. Strapping a bomb to yourself and blowing it up in a public area is terrorism no matter how you look at it, however, there's a difference with the reason the Palestinians do it.  They are doing because there is simply no other way to fight.  Any weapons they try to get into the area are intercepted by Israeli soldiers, and they would be suicidal to go head to head with what is arguably the best military in the world. Going back to my original point, I'd like to compare two reactions to this recent event: You immediately decided that since it was terrorism, it was evil.  I remember pretty much the day it happened, you posted something about how we should crush the Palestinians beneath an iron fist.  If you doubt it, read your posts on the "Middle East" topic. Bear, on the other hand, has looked more deeply into the topic, even looking up the definition in order to more deeply understand the problem.  In this way, he has seen another aspect to the Palestinian identity that you managed to miss. Bear, I'd like to take this moment to thank you for doing so, it added quite a bit to my understanding of the situation. Anyways, the simple fact is that I will tolerate anyone who remains true to their own beliefs.  Whether I will try to stop or punish them is another idea.  However, with that tolerance, I have a better chance at doing so, should I choose to do so.  If you doubt me, read "The Heir to the Empire" series and ask me if Thrawn did all that by just sending ISDs(yes I know, not real.  But it has a lot of remarkable parrallels to reality). Anyway, that's my rant for today.  Enjoy   

-----------------------
Argon Viper
IW COL Argon Viper{ret}
JMac
ComNet Veteran

May 9, 2002 1:01:06 PM    View the profile of JMac 
How did we move from the Catholic Church into the middle east? Argon,  did not just see the label "terrorism" on the PLO and decide that they were evil.  I never do anything without researching it thouroughly first.  I have records of every broken Israeli-Arab peace treaty, every suicide bombing, every life that was lost on both sides.  I looked at eyewitness accounts, I checked all the facts, and then, after I was done, I formed my opinion.  I do not care about the word "terrorism".  Knowing a definition does not help you analize the situation, nor does it give any added meaningto anything. Define "tolerate". I do not think that belief justifies anything.  The sociopath believes that what he does is right, but that is no comfort to a grieving mother.  A man might believe that beating his children is the right thing to do,. but that doesn't justify their scars.  I have already said more then enough on that, and I won't go further into it. Killing innocents is not a solution. All it has done, and all it will continue to do, is to take away their credability.  If they want to strap bombs onto themselves and throw themselves into an IDF barracks, fine. The kamikazies were not evil.  Nuts, but not evil.  They struck military targets.  Big difference between doing that and blowing yourself up in the middle of a grocery store.    

-----------------------
[army] Fishman
- Braveheart
Aegis 4ever!!!
Argon Viper
ComNet Expert

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-VEEC] Senior Writer

May 9, 2002 4:26:51 PM    View the profile of Argon Viper 
JMac, now that I know your definition of evil a little better, I think I understand that a little bit more.  Also, if that is your definition of evil, you have to call the Israelis the same.  During the course of their newest operation, they have not only killed people, but they have destroyed everything that thousands of others owned, rendering them homeless and broke.  The fact that they didn't kill those people doesn't make them any different from the Palestinians for the simple fact that they took away their life. As to tolerance, I never said that I would tolerate a wife beater or a child beater.  The simple fact is that the act of beating a wife or child is totally against the biological process, and therefore, deep down in the deepest part of his consiousness, he doesn't believe that he is right.  That is why I won't tolerate that.  However, someone who gets into a barfight is simply giving vent to the biological instincts that all males have to eliminate the competition.  Therefore, I will "tolerate" him.  That doesn't mean I will allow him to continue, I never included that in my definition.  However, I will not insist that he get life in jail or anything.  Also, I will try to understand him, in the hopes that I can convince him in his consious mind that what he did was wrong(my belief, not the universal right/wrong). Also, I'd like to ask you(quick question, just a one time only thing to lead into something else), how to you feel about the attack at Pearl Harbor? [OOC: I would like to appologize for my earlier comment that you replied(on why you dislike the Palestinians due to the label of terrorism).  I realize now that that was pretty intolerant of me, and I hope that you will forgive that slip...]   ----------------------- Argon Viper IW COL Argon Viper{ret} "History is on the move, those who cannot keep up will watch from a distance, and those who get in our way will not watch at all" - Grand Admiral Thrawn "How boring life would be if everyone felt the same way we do..." - Argon Viper "Condemnation does not liberate, it oppresses" - Carl G Jung
[This message has been edited by Argon Viper (edited May 9, 2002 4:28:50 PM)]
Kuroishi
ComNet Member

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant First Class

Post Number:  589
Total Posts:  948
May 13, 2002 4:07:03 AM    View the profile of Kuroishi 
"Morality is learned not inherant."-me, though someone else probably said it before me. "Luke you will find that a great many truths are based on your own point of view."-Obi wan Kenobi, Episode IV. We are all taught from birth to believe in a common morality so that we may coexist in society together.  But when someone does not follow this coomon code we label them a criminal and call it justice when we punish them. Is this neccissary? Yes if you want to have a functioning society that never changes. No if a society to grow and change to accomodate new ideas and philosophies. If it were not for open mindeness we never would have gotten out of the stone age. Every truth is based on belief, to deny that is folly. To me science is just another religion because it works because people agree it works. Yet I still accept what science says simply because I don't have a better answer.  I accept what society decrees as 'good' mostly because that is what I have been taught, not what is inherent in every human being. If good and evil can ever be difined without being dependant on the definition of the other and without being based on belief then I will get up and use my web cam on my other computer to record me drinking a periphery PPC(six shots of everclear) and figure some way of distributing it to all of you. Opinion and belief is all we have to work on.  To deny that is the greatest crime. "A wise man admits he knows nothing.  A foolish man claims to know the truth."-my variation of one of Confusias's(sp?) most profound sayings. If anyone cares to prove me wrong go for it. I can run this around in circles for years without breaking a sweat.

-----------------------
The Head Terrorist
Great Death Leader of the Fallen
The Chief Instigator of Pain and Terror
GN Daishi(2LT Kuroishi)
"Victory through terror, terror through infiltration. Redefining pain and suffering since 2000 and damn proud of it."  Fallen Angels motto.
JMac
ComNet Veteran

May 13, 2002 10:50:34 AM    View the profile of JMac 
I completely disagree.  The prblem as I see it is the definition of truth.  Truth is true, that is all there is.  Truth can not be based on belief, it must always be so.  Things that are based on opinions are other opinions.  Science is, however, part religion in the whole theory bit.  Some scientific facts are true.  It is true that if two humans mate the woman will not give birth to a parakeet.  Other things have not been proven, but have come into such popular belief that they are held as true.  This is not so. Argon, I believe what you are referring to is Jenin.  The Israwlis did not just go into the town and destroy everything for the sake of going into the town and destroying everything.  They were moving through and were being fired upon by snipers.  The snipers were hiding in the buildings, so the Israelis took out the buildings.  They found weapon stockpiles, bomb factories, etc.  This was not just an attack on a civillian town.  Furthermore, what were the snipers doing in the town in the first place.  They fired first, and they had to know that Israel would fire back.  One thing about Isral is this: they are surrounded by nations that want them gone, so to compensate for this they are extremely reactive and thus avoid showing any weakness.  IF you spit in their face, they will use a fire-hose on yours.  I am not saying that the Israelis were blameless.  Their soldiers have killed some civillians that were caught in the crossfire,(these soldiers were then brought up on charges.)  And yes, they went overboard in some areas.  Still, I believe that the Palestinians have done far more damage.  When three United States buildings were hit by terrorism, we razed the country and toppled a government.  Israel is hit every day, and they have lost 20x more then the USA has, and yet all the nations of the world are contiually restraining them.  This is not right. As for Pearl Harbor, I think it was a brilliant military gambit.  They caught us with our pants down, and they took out most of our Naval strength.  It made them our enemies, and it was a cause for war, but I respect their actions and admire their cunning.  As I've said before, if Al Queada had just hit the Pentagon, I would have still called them enemies and wanted them hunted down, but I would have respected them as freedom fighters and would not have considered them evil.  They delibrately targeted innocents, though, and that makes them evil, and death is too gooda penalty for them.

-----------------------
[army] Fishman
- Braveheart
Aegis 4ever!!!
Argon Viper
ComNet Expert

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-VEEC] Senior Writer

May 13, 2002 7:10:10 PM    View the profile of Argon Viper 
You've hit upon the crux of a matter I'd like to look into a little bit more here... First off, you seem to believe that only soldiers are part of a war.  I disagree.  If you are a citizen in a nation that has declared war, then you are part of that war.  For example, in WWII, admittedly a much more civilized time for warfare, we considered Japanese factories to be legitimate targets.  These, according to any doctrine of civilzed warfare, are not military targets, but we hit them anyway.  The idea being, if the Japanese army's manufacturing areas were destroyed, they would be far weaker, and less able to fight against us.  The fact that this worked led to a new generation in warfare.  In order to demoralize an army, the best thing to do is to show them that, no matter how hard they hit you, you can hit the people who support them, because an army is only as powerful as it's nation will let it be. This attack was simply meant to drain the will of the United State's to fight against the new religious ideals in the Middle East.  The fact that these people were citizens of the United States, in my opinion, makes them as responsible for bearing the weight of this country's burden, whether that burden happens to be a war, a debt, or a simple grudge. A citizen has made themselves part of a state, and must live with every decision that state makes, and every attack that comes against that state.  People have seemed to lose sight of that, but that is what a citizen is.  If you don't like that, then I suggest you go to your local US government office and resign your citizenship right now. As to Daishi, nice argument, I agree completely    (come one JMac, I want to see him argue this again  )

-----------------------
Argon Viper
IW COL Argon Viper{ret}
Argon Viper
ComNet Expert

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-VEEC] Senior Writer

May 13, 2002 7:10:24 PM    View the profile of Argon Viper 
[OOC: Sorry, the thing screwed up and posted twice for some reason...]
[This message has been edited by Argon Viper (edited May 13, 2002 7:11:27 PM)]
Kuroishi
ComNet Member

May 14, 2002 2:05:26 AM    View the profile of Kuroishi 
Let's say I hold up a glass of water and I say 'choulba', what do I actually mean? The fact remains that science still doesn't have a real answer as to how the cell division actually occurs, so we are left with only a belief in genetic instructions.  If I were to say it is a miracle of religion that would also be equaly true, but both are opinion and belief. One cannot even trust thier senses.  How do we really know that the sky is blue other then the fact that we agree it is blue(brown in some places with lots of smog like Los Vegas).  Yet it could be equally true that the sky is really sasifrase. Truth is a river.  It can be forced to change it's corse to suit whatever belief is prevelant at the time.  Certain things can be observed and if everyone has a common belief in them, will remain true no matter how much the truth changes. It used to be true that witches would float if you tossed them in water.  It used to be true that the pope was the most feared and respected man in the world.  It used to be true tha Jerueselum was the center of the universe.  It used to be true that the sun orbited the earth(research on Galealo Galini if you don't believe me). Are any of these true now? No, and you know why?  It is because people's beliefs have changed. So can you really say that the truth you hold to is so absolute?  Even science admits there is a posibility 1+1 will sometimes actually come out to 5.  Yet we plunk away in our lives with belief that the truth is absolute. "The only certainties are death and taxes."-Benjamin Franklin "Sometimes fiction can be a more relavant source of examples then reality."-me So is the truth so absolute? Yes if you believe it is, but that is what it really boils down to, belief.  To say otherwise is your opinion, but don't be too suprised if you finally figure out that there are exceptions to every rule.

-----------------------
The Head Terrorist
GN Daishi(2LT Kuroishi)
"Victory through terror, terror through infiltration. Redefining pain and suffering since 2000 and damn proud of it."  Fallen Angels motto.
Argon Viper
ComNet Expert

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-VEEC] Senior Writer

May 14, 2002 9:43:31 AM    View the profile of Argon Viper 
Ummm, Dai.  It's Galileao Galilae(I think, but I know I got closer than you did), and you're right that he stood up to the established "Truth".  However, you forgot to mention that those who did as he did(Copernicus for example) were often prosecuted by people who could not handle the fact that they were wrong.  Humanity doesn't seem to tolerate that very well... As for JMac, you may well be right, your version of truth may be completely true.  However, keep in mind that over two thousand years ago, the Romans may have been right, with their gladiators, their violent Gods, and their long orgy's.  All I'm saying is, Truth does not have a very good track record of staying true  "If we knew everything, why would be bother to seek what we already knew, but if we knew nothing, how would we even ask a question" - Plato, on knowledge(Got that one from Daishi/Kuroishi himself  )

-----------------------
Argon Viper
IW COL Argon Viper{ret}
Red5
ComNet n00b

Post Number:  0
Total Posts:  0
May 14, 2002 10:34:31 AM    View the profile of Red5 
Hmmm. No comment.   <--- A Catholic kid ----- Yes, it was mean and low down. Oh well.

-----------------------
[PO1][Red5]/[Nazgul]-[1]/[Wing 1]/[None]/[1VENF]/VEN [=A=] (medals)

JMac
ComNet Veteran

May 14, 2002 1:11:24 PM    View the profile of JMac 
Again, we are dealing with the nature of truth.  I am stating things as I see them to be true.  I may be completely wrong for all I know.  I don't think I am, but I know I could very well be.  That doesn't mean that truth itself is changeable, just that humans are easily swayed and mislead.  Truth is truth, it never changes.  Something can't be true one day and false another.  All that changes is our understanding of the truth.  It doesn't mean that truth is easily fallable, it just means that we are.

-----------------------
[army] Fishman
- Braveheart
Aegis 4ever!!!
Kuroishi
ComNet Member

May 14, 2002 2:31:47 PM    View the profile of Kuroishi 
If the truth is the truth then we wouldn't very well be able to misinterprit it then could we? The truth is what we make of it, either a river that is constantly changing or the stoic mountian that never seems to budge.  Once again it boils down to belief.  Call me a foolish man for claiming to know this but that is the only truth. Since all we have is belief and interpritation then the truth is ver subjective.  It changes from person to person.  We are individuals in a collective, we agree certain things have a common meaning so that we may function in a group. The truth is as rigid or as flexible as we want it to be.  If it were an isolated thing on it's own and not dependant on human definition then you might have a case. The truth has changed and yet remained the same so many times that no one definition or view can possibly be correct.  Yet no one seems to be able to disprove my hypothosys without resorting to a case based on belief. For all we know we all could really just be in the same mental ward of a hospital but in different rooms so we may not see each other but we still pass notes.  Or we really could be the computers we precieve ourselves typing on and our bodies are really one of our great inventions.  Since we we believe it to be true we are the humans and sitting in front of a computer typing out these interesting little debates, with the computer as a human creation, that is the truth. Perception and belief is all we have.  Any less and life wouldn't be all that interesting.  Any more and we'd know too much. To claim to know the absolute is foolish as someone will be able to disprove the absolute. Read up on the theories of entropy and quantum wierdness, I mean quantum physics/mechanics.  Normal physics doesn't work after a certain point so that truth is mute. If you can still say that there are absolutes try some calculus for a while. "Science, Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Budism, and Hindu are all varying definitions of what the truth is.  Since no one can prove or disprove any of them we are left with the choice of which ones to believe in."-me

-----------------------
The Head Terrorist
GN Daishi(2LT Kuroishi)
Argon Viper
ComNet Expert

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-VEEC] Senior Writer

May 14, 2002 9:37:41 PM    View the profile of Argon Viper 
Hehehehe, anyone ever seen a hypercube?  Try this: A zero dimensional cube is a dot. Take that dot and stretch it out in one direction and you get a line, a one dimensional cube. Take that line and stretch it out at 90 degrees to the original stretch and you get a square, a 2D cube. Take that square and stretch it out at the other 90 degree spot and you get a real 3D cube. Take that cube and stretch it out...  4 physical dimensions.  It's really trippy, and it pretty much proves Dai's point since we seem to be very into believing that there are only 3 dimensions. Now, don't get me into the temporal dimensions, those are really fun    For example, an all powerful God, even if he lived literally forever, would see, hear, and experience everything in his life within an indescribably fraction of a second and then cease to exist according to most current temporal theory.  This is because he can see in all temporal dimensions, past, present, and future. Now, think about the 26 dimensional world of string theory, or the 10 dimensional world proposed by another one, or the 12 dimensional one. Really challenges your idea of truth doesn't it? See why I love science and math?  You're never bored 

-----------------------
Argon Viper
IW COL Argon Viper{ret}
ComNet > Neutral Messages > Archived Lounge > The Catholic Church  |  New Posts    
  Pages:  [ 1 2 ]   

All times are CST. The time now is 11:18:37 PM
Comnet Jump:

Current Online Members - 0  |  Guests - 465  |  Bots - 2

< Contact Us - The Vast Empire >