Yoder
ComNet Member

Yoder

[VE-ARMY] Private First Class

Post Number:  393
Total Posts:  486
  RE: Just Curious
December 14, 2006 8:40:34 PM    View the profile of Yoder 
Too bad I probably won't get those Letters of recomendation, Also to bad I don't care if I ever be in the DJO. Also about the reading the books comments yea it does help, now if the new people who join had brains, common sense, and the ability to read the post before they type it would be great.

-----------------------
trp/pfc
-=Wraith Squad=-
Yoder/4SQD/1PLT/1COM/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE/LoR
Master Swordsmen (RL)
Flatter me, and I won't believe you.
Criticize me, and I may not like you.
Ignore me, and I may not forgive you.
Encourage me, and I won't forget you.
-Me
Kanderin Draken
ComNet Initiate

Kanderin Draken

Post Number:  171
Total Posts:  1849
January 20, 2007 6:51:52 AM    View the profile of Kanderin Draken 
Wow, nice sombre message from Cosmic there. And i agree with many other people here, the best way to improve your writing is to read books by excellent authors. The first books i properly read where Rowling's harry Potter Series (Hey what ten year old doesn't ), and those books deifnetely helped my premature writing a great deal. Especially my flaw in lack of detail, which is still present in my writing but by far not as major as it used to be.

Im now halfway through reading the 'Sword of Shannara' trilogy, the author of which escapes me right now, plus ive lost the book so i cant check . Their fantastic books, in my opinion the best ive read. The author does'nt mess about spending whole chapters describing the room the character is in, something that bores me to death in most books. Yet somehow, with the Shannara series very little time it spent explaining the surroundings, but youc an always picture where they are in your head. They have helped my writing a great deal, just look at the progression of my writing before my leave and after, during which time i read the first Shannara book.

ONe niggle i have with the DJO is the fact that they didn't reply to my request to join. I understand why i wasn't accepted, but the fact they elft me for over a month checking my e-mail constantly for some sort of reply, is a little annoying. Just some sort of message, even if it is as little as 'sorry you didn't make it', would be nice.

-----------------------
Private First Class Kanderin Draken
-=Wraith Squad=-
Wraith Squad Motto: When staring in the face of death we see our reflection

FTC/PFC Kanderin/4SQD/1PLT/1COM/1BAT/VEA/VE/

Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain, or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands! - Auron, FF X
[This message has been edited by Kanderin Draken (edited January 20, 2007 6:53:06 AM)]
Cosmic
ComNet Apprentice

Cosmic

[VE-ARMY] Major General
[VE-DJO] Krath Prophet(ess)
[VE-VEEC] Chief Editor

Post Number:  5230
Total Posts:  7772
January 20, 2007 1:35:17 PM    View the profile of Cosmic 
Probably because, at the moment, we're trying to figure something out about our own activity. We're currently not doing anything, and the Dark Council is pretty occupied with real life. Meaning, you haven't received any emails because they're not there to check them.

-----------------------
Cleric "Cosmic" Vor'soth
CoT/MG Cosmic/HCA-3/SL/Drill Squad/Tadath/VEA/VE
[OPE][OTH][OPA][EW1][CDS][IH][GS][LM][SoS][CRoM][CoH][PoC][MSM][SCP][SoA][IOC]
-----------------------
Cleric "Cosmic" Vor'soth
SL/KPR Cosmic/Lion 1-1/Lopen/VEDJ/VE
[VP][WoS2][KC1][SoY][EoP][OAK]
-----------------------
Darr-Rann
ComNet Veteran

Darr-Rann

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant
[VE-VEEC] Reporter

Post Number:  1162
Total Posts:  1587
January 20, 2007 2:11:10 PM    View the profile of Darr-Rann 
Really? I applied about a year ago at least and never got word back

-----------------------
Raiders
SL/SGT_Darr-Rann/3SQD/1PLT/1COM/1RGT/1BAT/VEA/VE/Tadath [LoR][CoR]
|EXO/WO2_Demonic/Kaph 2/PheonixWing/mSSD Atrus/DEF/VEN/VE| (=*A*=)(=*SA*=)(=*ee*=)(VC:B)(MC2)(VEB)(DSM)(LoM)[BWC]{O1}-=TOP PILOT=-
SERGEANT
WARRANT OFFICER, 2ND CLASS
Communications Technician
Part time Webmaster Guy
"DICTATOR DARR"

[This message has been edited by Darr-Rann (edited January 20, 2007 2:11:36 PM)]
Rogueboy
ComNet Member

Rogueboy

[VE-ARMY] Corporal

Post Number:  801
Total Posts:  2089
January 20, 2007 2:37:45 PM    View the profile of Rogueboy 
just an interesting thought, but if their not active shouldnt they lose their elite status? because if activity is a requirement but as of yet they are not up to par isn't that being hypocritical?

-----------------------
Raiders
Faithful To The End
He will give them death, and they will love him for it -Gladiator

ASL/CPL_Rogueboy/3SQD/1PLT/1COM/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE [LoR][ES-FirstClass][CDS]
Riqimo
ComNet Cadet
Imperial Baronet

Riqimo

[VE-ARMY] Lance Corporal

Post Number:  270
Total Posts:  2382
January 20, 2007 2:42:16 PM    View the profile of Riqimo 
TREASON!

-----------------------
Riqimo "Doc" Pershaw
EclipseSquad

ASL/LCP Riqimo/2SQD/2PLT/1COM/1RGT/1BAT/Tadath/VEA
Imperial Baronet

Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to war we go, we'll find some Rebels or lose our marbles, hi ho, hi ho

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.
Cosmic
ComNet Apprentice

Cosmic

[VE-ARMY] Major General
[VE-VEEC] Chief Editor

Post Number:  5232
January 20, 2007 4:43:17 PM    View the profile of Cosmic 
The DJO doesn't have the elite status due to "activity". No division, in fact, would have such a status due to activity (unless some new title of sorts was created). The DJO has the status of "elite" due to the VE's primary means of activity: writing. The Order houses the VE's most "elite writers", and hence it's title.

-----------------------
Cleric "Cosmic" Vor'soth
-----------------------
Cleric "Cosmic" Vor'soth
-----------------------
Kanderin Draken
ComNet Initiate

Kanderin Draken

Post Number:  172
January 21, 2007 5:32:33 AM    View the profile of Kanderin Draken 
Got to hand it to you cosmic, your catching every grenade we throw at you and sending it right back at us

-----------------------
-=Wraith Squad=-

FTC/PFC Kanderin/4SQD/1PLT/1COM/1BAT/VEA/VE/

Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain, or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands! - Auron, FF X
Cosmic
ComNet Apprentice

Cosmic

[VE-ARMY] Major General
[VE-VEEC] Chief Editor

Post Number:  5235
January 21, 2007 2:24:44 PM    View the profile of Cosmic 
Knowledge is power. :P

-----------------------
Cleric "Cosmic" Vor'soth
-----------------------
Cleric "Cosmic" Vor'soth
-----------------------
Darr-Rann
ComNet Veteran

Darr-Rann

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant
[VE-VEEC] Reporter

Post Number:  1163
Total Posts:  1587
January 21, 2007 2:38:49 PM    View the profile of Darr-Rann 
I'm still waiting for that denial

-----------------------
Raiders
SL/SGT_Darr-Rann/3SQD/1PLT/1COM/1RGT/1BAT/VEA/VE/Tadath [LoR][CoR]
|EXO/WO2_Demonic/Kaph 2/PheonixWing/mSSD Atrus/DEF/VEN/VE| (=*A*=)(=*SA*=)(=*ee*=)(VC:B)(MC2)(VEB)(DSM)(LoM)[BWC]{O1}-=TOP PILOT=-
SERGEANT
WARRANT OFFICER, 2ND CLASS
Communications Technician
Part time Webmaster Guy
"DICTATOR DARR"

Angel
ComNet Disciple

Angel

[VE-ARMY] Senior Sergeant
[VE-DJO] Sith Guardian
[VE-NAVY] Petty Officer 2nd Class

Post Number:  2416
Total Posts:  3342
January 25, 2007 11:09:31 PM    View the profile of Angel 
NO!

Now you can go.

*Edit* And yes, elite refers to our prowess in the discipline of writing, not how much we spam the Comnet and IRC with useless drivel.

-----------------------
Army - Retired
[LoR] [RoM] [BC] [CDS] [WM] [GRoM] [IH] {BoA}
------------------------
Sith Guardian
CM/SG Jikkyo "Angel" Nimiichi/Eagle 1-1/Sith/Dark Jedi Order/Vast Empire [VP:1]

------------------------
[This message has been edited by Angel (edited January 25, 2007 11:11:40 PM)]
Scaridian Mork
ComNet n00b

[VE-NAVY] Crewman

Post Number:  4
Total Posts:  47
January 27, 2007 12:18:42 AM    View the profile of Scaridian Mork 
I may or may have not misinterpreted the statement by Cosmic. It was that to be eligible for the DJO one must be able to post six pages worth of information. I'm a bit confused at this statement. Is that the requirement to start a story off, the minium number of pages a DJO story must be, incorporating all posts of the participants? Or is it simply the reply length?

I'd like to beleive the latter wasn't true, and the most legitimate option was that a story beggining to kick off with lots of detail added, which is still alot of writing. But I can see the DJO as an extreme elite core which requires the utmost devotion to VE. Although I see its requirements as a bit strict I can definitley understand it.

Most likely the majority of the members who would join an Empire continuity look into a Force Adept most likely because they see the most action. I personally understand it and admit to having taken it into consideration at one point. Then again, one has to realize that even though playing a force adept is fun, you get alot out of playing in the Navy or the Army. Its not like your deriving yourself of anything action wise. In fact, save for the quantity in posts, one in the Army or Navy is presented with a bit more challenge than your regular DJO member in that tactic and compatibility with your squad far outweighs the values of pure solitary skill.. That's why in the end I would have joined the Navy anyways if presented with the option of DJO. People may have different

Anyways, I'd just like some clarification on that. I'll probably skim through the site just to get a general feel for it anyways.

-----------------------
Morality, correctness of option... why is one so insistent on vehemently proving these are not illusions?
Cosmic
ComNet Apprentice

Cosmic

[VE-ARMY] Major General
[VE-VEEC] Chief Editor

Post Number:  5242
January 27, 2007 1:55:15 PM    View the profile of Cosmic 
It's good to see that there is still a lot of interest in joining the DJO, so I will help clarify some things:

The "six page minimum requirement for each post" is a rumor. It's not about the length of a post, but the quality of the writing. I've seen people post 5+ pages before, and their grammar is completely in the gutter, which is not acceptable in the DJO. In a lot of DJO stories, I've seen members (this includes myself) only post, perhaps, 3 pages for a single post. There is nothing written in stone about having a minimum number of pages, but to add to that: we do not want to see just a few paragraphs either.

On average, all of the DJO members post about 5+ pages on a single post, and that's typically when we're having writers block. When things are rolling, it's very easy to dish out a 8-12 page post.

In responding to your statement of "In fact, save for the quantity in posts, one in the Army or Navy is presented with a bit more challenge than your regular DJO member in that tactic and compatibility with your squad far outweighs the values of pure solitary skill.. That's why in the end I would have joined the Navy anyways if presented with the option of DJO. People may have different", there's kind of a big difference between the DJO and the Army/Navy, and yet there are a few similarities.

1) Most do not know this, because they do not have roster access to the DJO, but the Order does have it's version of "squads". There are similar operations, but it's definately different than that of the Army/Navy.

2) DJO stories do involve group tactics, but on a much larger, independent scale. Sometimes we'll work as a group, but most times our Dark Knights will work solo. Why? Not because we don't have the tactics, but mainly because a lot of things only require one Dark Knight. Two would be overkill for the task. Our stories have strategies and group tactics, but we work more on the "bigger picture" rather than the minute "individual-battle" cases. We'll have orders to, for example, assassinate the current ruler of a planet while finding evidence of classified weapon/ship plans and destroying their server databases. We may have three Dark Knights participate, each having his/her own task.

Something like that anyway. Or one Dark Knight may have the responsibility of doing all of the above by themselves. It just depends on what your task is given by your CO.

It's very difficult, if not impossible, to compare the Order with the Army and Navy because it's like comparing apples and oranges.

-----------------------
Cleric "Cosmic" Vor'soth
-----------------------
Cleric "Cosmic" Vor'soth
-----------------------
Scaridian Mork
ComNet n00b

[VE-NAVY] Crewman

Post Number:  6
January 27, 2007 4:06:37 PM    View the profile of Scaridian Mork 
I appreciate the clarification, while I still have time to consider even attempting a shot at the DJO and even then going that extra mile to meet the neccessary requirements, there's still that cliche feeling whenever I play a force adept. Even when the group is limited I've been known to grow unmotivated just due to the repetiveness of my actions. Perhaps it was the continuity I was a part of but nonetheless the idea is quite exciting.

Now, I've got the basic idea that a post still has to be quite quantiful as well as qualificable. I still find this quite beyond my comfort zone of posting. While I have quite detailed posts that flesh out the true personality of my character and explicitly explains their actions I still find that major expansion to that post is possible. If you wouldn't mind Cosmic, could you send me a sample post by e-mail so that I may have some sort of clue to as how the DJO structures their posts in means of taking up 3 - 6 pages worth of space?

When posting after another person I'm quite skilled at following suit in terms of length wise however! So when it comes to that I may gain some sort of benefit there.

It was my mistake as far as making the Navy and Army sound superior. I should have used a bit more correct wording that would not sound so degrading to the DJO. Perhaps I was just trying to tell myself that the Navy and Army play just as large a role as the Dark Jedi, however I may be wrong. I understand that even a single force adept has the ability to cut through massive numbers in a short amount of time and complete missions that would be beyond your average squadron persay. The only downfall would be the influence the DJO has on one such character. They're most likely going to be cruel merciless beings whereas the Empire Army and Navy characters have a bit more flexibility personality wise.. not a goody goody person. They'd still be within the bounds of seriousness but not so much for the malicious intent.

Also, I'd suspected that the DJO worked along the lines of still staying within groups as to divide the task into equivilent pieces, and still mantain that independence most force adepts have, however my knowledge on the topic is little none and as such would have to truly join their ranks to understand. Perhaps do a little research here and there.. As stated before there's plenty of time before I even consider what I want to be. There might also need to be some clarification on how a person goes about joining the DJO in terms of service. Do you just leave the Naval Academy or Army Academy and leave the DJO or do you create a new character. Perhaps I may be getting out of line with questions however its better to ask and know now then not ask and regret later. If all information pertains to the actual initiation ceremony of the DJO that would be a reasonable answer to my questions as well.

Anways, I find that it's just the persons tastes for what they desire out of roleplay. The DJO would imminently provide a more substantial amount of glory due to their independence and since most of the SW saga (Movie Wise) is focused around the Jedi Order and the Sith its easy to see why people are so influenced to join the ranks of the more powerful class.

-----------------------
Morality, correctness of option... why is one so insistent on vehemently proving these are not illusions?
Aeos
ComNet Veteran

Aeos

[VE-DJO] Initiate
[VE-VEEC] Gaming Reporter

Post Number:  1304
Total Posts:  3141
January 27, 2007 4:13:59 PM    View the profile of Aeos 
Before joining the DJO, 6-4 months of active service to either the Army or Navy.
As for your character, your Navy/Army character may join the DJO and still remain in whatever division they are. You may leave the division if you want to however.

-----------------------
TRP/SGT_Aeos/3SQD/1PLT/1COM/1RGT/1BAT/VEA/VE/Tadath [LoR][ES2C][CoR]
'Raiders' Wiki Page'
CGEMPIRE
Cosmic
ComNet Apprentice

Cosmic

[VE-ARMY] Major General
[VE-VEEC] Chief Editor

Post Number:  5247
January 27, 2007 4:18:58 PM    View the profile of Cosmic 
Currently, the requirement is 4 months active duty service prior to applying. And yes, you can leave the Army/Navy division if you wish, but it's a good idea to stay in the division.

-----------------------
Cleric "Cosmic" Vor'soth
-----------------------
Cleric "Cosmic" Vor'soth
-----------------------
Scaridian Mork
ComNet n00b

[VE-NAVY] Crewman

Post Number:  7
January 27, 2007 4:24:22 PM    View the profile of Scaridian Mork 
Oh, I was quite aware of the service time I had to spend on this site. Such was my reason for noting the time I had for thinking it over. Thanks for the clarification again.

-----------------------
[This message has been edited by Scaridian Mork (edited January 27, 2007 5:03:09 PM)]
Kanderin Draken
ComNet Initiate

Kanderin Draken

[VE-ARMY] Lance Corporal

Post Number:  198
January 28, 2007 5:20:12 AM    View the profile of Kanderin Draken 
God damn it Cosmic, your taunting me with those exciting DJO mission ideas
I cant even cosnider applying for another month, month and a half (ill check it up), and even then ill have to go around seeing who will refer me

The word count doesn't scare me, as when im writing on a topic im interested in i can write for hours. The long boring periods in many of the squad stories (and HSC) often get me dismotivated, meaning i rarely post over half a page in some circumstances.

Still, in a month and a half ill see how it goes.

Oh, before i forget, i have a question. Once you have become a Dark Knight, could you adopt your learnt abilities into your army/navy squad stories? Ie- Could you fight with a lightsaber and perform physics defying moves, when the rest of your squad are hiding behind piles of ruble scrambling for ammo?

-----------------------
-=Wraith Squad=-

FTC/LCPL Kanderin/4SQD/1PLT/1COM/1BAT/VEA/VE/

Aeos
ComNet Veteran

Aeos

[VE-DJO] Initiate
[VE-VEEC] Gaming Reporter

Post Number:  1305
Total Posts:  3141
January 28, 2007 6:00:19 AM    View the profile of Aeos 
Nope, not at all.

-----------------------
TRP/SGT_Aeos/3SQD/1PLT/1COM/1RGT/1BAT/VEA/VE/Tadath [LoR][ES2C][CoR]
'Raiders' Wiki Page'
CGEMPIRE
Garet Daimun
ComNet Veteran

Garet Daimun

[VE-ARMY] Gunnery Sergeant

Post Number:  1157
Total Posts:  1348
January 28, 2007 9:00:16 AM    View the profile of Garet Daimun 
I'm gonna step in and go ahead and say that the DJO is secret. IF you were to run around on a mission throwing your lightsaber and usign force powers I think you might give yousreself away. Maybe.

-----------------------
EclipseSquad

SL/GSG Garet Daimun/2SQD/2PLT/1COM/1RGT/1BAT/Tadath/VEA [ES2C] [ES1C] [IH]

Feeling alone?
The army's up the road;
Salvation a la mode and
A cup of tea. 
~Jethro Tull
Kanderin Draken
ComNet Cadet

Kanderin Draken

[VE-ARMY] Lance Corporal

Post Number:  202
January 28, 2007 10:12:14 AM    View the profile of Kanderin Draken 
Heh, good answer.

Shame though, could turn my character into such a badass in missions

EDIT: So, is using any Jedi powers strictly outcast in typical army/navy missions like as a VE rule, or are you able to use some as long as no one sees them? Ie. Use the force to save an unconscious team mate from falling debris, for example

-----------------------
-=Wraith Squad=-

[This message has been edited by Kanderin Draken (edited January 28, 2007 10:45:27 AM)]
Garet Daimun
ComNet Veteran

Garet Daimun

[VE-ARMY] Gunnery Sergeant

Post Number:  1160
Total Posts:  1348
January 28, 2007 11:04:02 AM    View the profile of Garet Daimun 
No, that's not allowed.

I think someone got in trouble once for doing that... Anyways, I'm pretty sure it's not allowed at any point in the Army or Navy.

-----------------------
EclipseSquad

SL/GSG Garet Daimun/2SQD/2PLT/1COM/1RGT/1BAT/Tadath/VEA [ES2C] [ES1C] [IH]

Feeling alone?
The army's up the road;
Salvation a la mode and
A cup of tea. 
~Jethro Tull
Kanderin Draken
ComNet Cadet

Kanderin Draken

[VE-ARMY] Lance Corporal

Post Number:  209
January 28, 2007 11:05:00 AM    View the profile of Kanderin Draken 
Fair enough, thanks for the answer

-----------------------
-=Wraith Squad=-

Kami
ComNet Veteran

Kami

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant First Class
[VE-DJO] Dark Jedi Knight

Post Number:  1047
Total Posts:  1884
January 28, 2007 6:22:01 PM    View the profile of Kami 
Yes, Garet's right. A downside to the DJO is that we are forbidden to use any of our 'abilities' in normal Army/Navy missions

-----------------------
*DarkDragoons*

PA/GSG_Kami/2SQD/1PLT/1XOM/1RGT/1BAT/VEA/VE/Tadath [LoR][CoR][IG][GCA][BC]
|| DJK Dark Jedi Order || Krath || Vast Empire ||
-=Surrender to your darkest dreams, and you'll live as you've never lived before=-
+ Advance Recon Commandos {ARC} +
Kairo
ComNet Veteran

Kairo

[VE-ARMY] Platoon Sergeant

Post Number:  1078
Total Posts:  1338
January 28, 2007 6:41:18 PM    View the profile of Kairo 
AWWWWW. That must be just so horrible for you.

But seriously people, almost all of the stuff Cosmic has answered has been answered twice before somewhere in this information booth. Of course though, I bet in another year, someone else is going to start a new topic with the same question. Someone should just put a sticky topic at the top labeled "Already Been Asked Questions." Either that's a good idea, or I'm tired tonight...

-----------------------
Platoon Sergeant Kairo
Platoon Commander

PC/PSGT Kairo/2PLT/1COMP/1BAT/1RGT/Tadath/VEA/VE [CDS][BoA][CoR][BC][CoV][IH]

Know your enemy and know yourself, and you will be victorious in ten thousand battles.
You may forget the past, but it will always haunt your future.
Men can die, but a symbol is eternal.
Kanderin Draken
ComNet Cadet

Kanderin Draken

[VE-ARMY] Lance Corporal

Post Number:  216
January 29, 2007 10:37:37 AM    View the profile of Kanderin Draken 
Good idea, and you know common tiredness is an early sign of madness Kairo...

-----------------------
-=Wraith Squad=-

ComNet > Dark Jedi Order > Archived Dark Jedi Information Booth > Just Curious  |  New Posts    
  Pages:  [ 1 2 ]   

All times are CST. The time now is 4:16:17 PM
Comnet Jump:

Current Online Members - 0  |  Guests - 137  |  Bots - 1

< Contact Us - The Vast Empire >