Communications Network
Vast Empire  -  New Posts  -  Search  -  Statistics  -  Login 

ComNet > Imperial Navy > Archived Navy Main ComNet > Does Anybody Care?

Pages:  [ 1 2 3 ]   
Author
Topic:  Does Anybody Care?
Arturus
ComNet Member

[VE-NAVY] Ensign (ESN)

Post Number:  887
Total Posts:  2143
  RE: Does Anybody Care?
January 23, 2004 9:20:44 AM    View the profile of Arturus 
I think freelancer kind of died a bit, but there might be some more similar like games coming out, just starting searching for em.

-----------------------
SL/ESN_Arturus/Kaph 1-1/Phoenix Wing/M-SSD_Atrus/VE/VEN/(=a=)(=sa=)(=jcpa=)(=scpa=)[MC:1][SV][BRC][LoC]
Kieran Hels
ComNet Cadet

Post Number:  278
Total Posts:  234
January 23, 2004 9:24:38 AM    View the profile of Kieran Hels 
Yeah, but if it isn't Star Wars, it just isn't the same :-/

-----------------------
FM/NTO:A/Crewman Kieran Hels/Kaph 2-3/Phoenix Wing/mSSD Atrus/Defensive Fleet/VEN

"And he smote them hip and thigh with a great slaughter: and he went down and dwelt in the top of the rock Etam." -Judges 15:8
Daishi
ComNet Cadet

[VE-NAVY] Rear Admiral (RAD)
[VE-VEHC] El Presidente*

Post Number:  214
Total Posts:  243
January 23, 2004 9:37:27 AM    View the profile of Daishi 
First oof I try and provoke thought about what I see as flaws in ideas and a lot of the time I do so more harshly then I really intend to.

As far as everyone talking about something but never really going through with it, a certain amount of discussion is needed so we know what we are going to do about our inactivity.

It would do us no good going forward blindly following an undeveloped idea and find ourselves back in the same spot as before except maybe worse.

The Marine idea in my expierience would be hard to pull off but if we can it could be not too bad.

The US marines were nearly axed in thier infancy because they were not much more then another ground branch that the government didn't need.

As far as providing air support, transport drivers, and all those other things, that is something the Navy should already be doing without having to become a marine division.

Basicly the problem I see with those ideas is that they are things that are either already being done or should be done regardless of who does them.  I as a real person want to keep the navy unique, my characters wouldn't give much of a damn one way or the other.

Here's another insane idea that can occupy us for months or even years:

We've got a few programers right?

Why not put them to work?

Why wait for mods or new games when we can see about learning to do that kind of stuff for ourselves?

I'm currently brushing up on my C++ to see if I can make a SPOT the Slaughtering(C)(TR) mod or even outright game.  I'll even drag JETHRO and Giest along with me in this project.

It's insane, it will require a lot of dedication from our programers but if we can make it work and get even one viable mod or game out of it, we've got ourselves something to be proud of.  Heck if we do good enough work and come up with something original we can even offset the cost of keeping this place going.

-----------------------
RA(U) Daishi COSOS
"If we had all knowladge then why would we seek what we already know and if we had no knowladge then how could we even ask the question?"  Plato
"Indeceant exposure is fun." Sonatina
"There are at least three sides to any situation." Me

Shazam
ComNet Member

[VE-NAVY] Petty Officer 2nd Class (PO2)

Post Number:  650
Total Posts:  4197
January 23, 2004 4:24:07 PM    View the profile of Shazam 
    Hello, I havn't been able to be active do to basketball.  I officially hate that sport, that and whenever I go up to drive, an elbow lands in  my face.  I'll try in get back into activity, I'm waiting for the season to end and for my time to regulate again.

-FMJR

-----------------------
*Flash Was Here...*
My Real Bebop: (=A=)
Kieran Hels
ComNet Cadet

January 24, 2004 4:42:10 AM    View the profile of Kieran Hels 
It could be a good idea, but you might want to focus on a MP game, because apparently single player levels take a LONG time.  Or you could always make your own updates to a game such as XWA or TIE Fighter, that make it better.

-----------------------
FM/NTO:A/Crewman Kieran Hels/Kaph 2-3/Phoenix Wing/mSSD Atrus/Defensive Fleet/VEN

"And he smote them hip and thigh with a great slaughter: and he went down and dwelt in the top of the rock Etam." -Judges 15:8
Japheth
ComNet Sultan

[VE-DJO] Krath Templar (KT)
[VE-VEHC] Rear Admiral*

Post Number:  1197
Total Posts:  2517
January 24, 2004 1:31:59 PM    View the profile of Japheth 
I wonder if there would be any interest from any of the Army Squads of doing some sort of co-op story where we could actually do thing like provide ground support and air superiority. We'd have to actually keep up with them, of course, we'd need people posting just as much as they do, if not more.

I'll ask around...

-----------------------
Rear Admiral Japheth Cappadocious, Krath Priest
Naval Commander in Chief, Captain of the mSSD Atrus
Headmaster of the Dark Jedi Order Academy
-----------------------
NCC/SCAP/RAD Japheth Cappadocious/mSSD Atrus/DEF/VEN/VE/(=A=)(=SA=)(=JCPA=)(=SCPA=)(=FCO=)[BRC][LSM][MC:1][KC:OC]
HM/KPT Japheth Cappadocious/DC-3/Krath Order/Elite Griffen Sect/VEDJ/VE
Fury
ComNet Overlord

[VE-ARMY] High General
[VE-VEHC] High General*

Post Number:  1578
Total Posts:  2689
January 24, 2004 3:09:40 PM    View the profile of Fury 
Japheth, we're still working out the logistics on this, but I have a small nugget of an idea of our first mission for our ARCs.  Granted, only Cosmic and I have talked about who we'd want in on this but seeing as this is brand new territory for all of us, I could see a storyline involving 6 grunts and a few pilots jumping in doing some air support and maybe slight ground ops too.

-----------------------
PRF/GEN Fury/VEA/TADATH/VE [SCP][PoC][SotE:HC][SotE:VEA][IOC]
Prefect - Stormtrooper Corps
Administrator - Imperial Center
Talon
ComNet Overlord

[VE-ARMY] High General
[VE-DJO] Dark Jeedai Master (DJM)
[VE-VEHC] High General

Post Number:  1490
Total Posts:  2417
January 24, 2004 3:50:56 PM    View the profile of Talon 
Oooie. Last time I saw a joint story was IOC.

-----------------------
OO/GN Sierra "Talon" Taurus/HC-3/VEHC/VE[BC][IOC][LoC][SoS][BM][CDS][MSM]
GM-SL/DJM "Nightblades"/DC-1/Elite Griffen Sect/VSD-II Griffen/VEDJ/VE[IOC][OQD][WoS 2nd Class]
-----------------------
SCAP/COM Vincent "Claw" Taurus/ISD Nemesis/Offensive Fleet/VEN[=A=][LoM][IOC][IC2]
CEO Vincent "Claw" Taurus/ECHC-1/Endoven/Dome 8473/VEEC/VE
Vukan
ComNet Cadet

January 25, 2004 5:17:13 AM    View the profile of Vukan 
What's IOC?  And how many pilots   I definetly want to join in on that, I love writing and I just started a random story on the Navy StoryNet.  Do you intend those pilots to be from the "Elite" naval unit?  Or just regular pilots?

-----------------------

Vukan
ComNet Cadet

January 25, 2004 8:18:55 AM    View the profile of Vukan 
Also, if possible, do you think that since Kaph is the only squadron, we could get TIE Interceptors instead of Bombers?  Those big fighters are kinda boring to kill things in   Thought I might ask while changes were being made.

-----------------------

Fury
ComNet Overlord

[VE-ARMY] High General
[VE-VEHC] High General*

Post Number:  1578
Total Posts:  2689
January 25, 2004 11:58:37 AM    View the profile of Fury 
I'd say if anyone was going along on an ARC mission, they'd be the best of the best the Navy has to offer.

I'd also think that anything made by Seinar Fleet Systems would be off the table for the mission.

-----------------------
PRF/GEN Fury/VEA/TADATH/VE [SCP][PoC][SotE:HC][SotE:VEA][IOC]
Prefect - Stormtrooper Corps
Administrator - Imperial Center
Arturus
ComNet Member

[VE-NAVY] Ensign (ESN)

January 25, 2004 12:44:58 AM    View the profile of Arturus 
Joint stories sounds like a great idea and a good way to stimulate some activity in both divisions.

-----------------------
SL/ESN_Arturus/Kaph 1-1/Phoenix Wing/M-SSD_Atrus/VE/VEN/(=a=)(=sa=)(=jcpa=)(=scpa=)[MC:1][SV][BRC][LoC]
LoneWolf
ComNet Member

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant First Class
[VE-DJO] Dark Jedi Knight (DJK)
[VE-NAVY] 2nd Lieutenant (2LT)

Post Number:  931
Total Posts:  1075
January 25, 2004 12:45:37 AM    View the profile of LoneWolf 
but ties fly so smoothly

-----------------------
Lonewolf/mSSD Atrus/DEF/VEN/VE/(=A=)(=SA=)(=JCPA=)(=SCPA=)[SRC][VC:Ebony]

CM/DJK LoneWolf/Sith/Eagle Sect/VEDJ

"With each kill, I grow wiser, with added wisdom, I grow stronger..." -Artemis Entreri
[This message has been edited by LoneWolf (edited January 25, 2004 12:47:05 AM)]
Vukan
ComNet Cadet

January 26, 2004 12:13:56 AM    View the profile of Vukan 
And the TIE Defender is probably the best mass-produced fighter ever made.  And yeah, joint missions would be cool.  But right now there isnt much of a best to be the best in, the best are like 3 people and the best of the best is thus like 1 person.

-----------------------

Japheth
ComNet Sultan

[VE-VEHC] Rear Admiral*

January 26, 2004 3:59:05 PM    View the profile of Japheth 
The TIE Defender was hardly "mass production" They were too expensive for that.

-----------------------
-----------------------
NCC/SCAP/RAD Japheth Cappadocious/mSSD Atrus/DEF/VEN/VE/(=A=)(=SA=)(=JCPA=)(=SCPA=)(=FCO=)[BRC][LSM][MC:1][KC:OC]
Vukan
ComNet Cadet

January 26, 2004 9:01:45 PM    View the profile of Vukan 
There were at least 84 that I can count from diffent areas in the universe. 

-----------------------

Japheth
ComNet Sultan

[VE-VEHC] Rear Admiral*

January 27, 2004 3:17:04 AM    View the profile of Japheth 
And the number of TIE Fighters was uncountably high. They were mass production, Defenders weren't.

-----------------------
-----------------------
Vukan
ComNet Cadet

January 27, 2004 7:59:00 AM    View the profile of Vukan 
Okay, okay, so there were a bunch of them anyways :-p for how much they cost

-----------------------

Arturus
ComNet Member

[VE-NAVY] Ensign (ESN)

January 27, 2004 11:27:51 AM    View the profile of Arturus 
lol...true Vukan

Id like to at least Kaph switch from bombers to TF's if nothing else cause bombers suck for dogfights.  Also, there is really many other options available for fighters unless the VE navy suddenly goes pirate which i doubt :P

-----------------------
Vukan
ComNet Cadet

January 27, 2004 11:31:32 AM    View the profile of Vukan 
I have a story going but am having trouble getting excitement in it with TIE bombers, oh well.  Also, I need to go on leave for a week, so I guess I will post that on the Leave comnet

-----------------------

Japheth
ComNet Sultan

[VE-VEHC] Rear Admiral*

January 27, 2004 1:14:01 PM    View the profile of Japheth 
We'll switch Kaph to TIE Fighters out fo practicallity. If we get some stellar activity going, we'll upgrade.

-----------------------
-----------------------
Arturus
ComNet Member

[VE-NAVY] Ensign (ESN)

January 27, 2004 5:00:22 PM    View the profile of Arturus 

-----------------------
Vukan
ComNet Cadet

January 28, 2004 2:16:59 AM    View the profile of Vukan 
W00t, sounds good....I am gonna have to finish my story in Bombers though. :-p

-----------------------

Vukan
ComNet Cadet

January 28, 2004 2:36:30 AM    View the profile of Vukan 
www.freeallegiance.org

Very hot game, cross between TIE Fighter and StarCraft (thank you Jac...).  Definetly a possible game for VEN, it is free and 34 MB.  You should check it out, you guys might like it.

-----------------------

chipmunk man
ComNet Member

[VE-NAVY] Petty Officer 2nd Class (PO2)

Post Number:  930
Total Posts:  2064
February 3, 2004 7:55:59 AM    View the profile of chipmunk man 
What about this: because we only have one squadron, why not just give the different flights different classes of TIE? For example, 1st flight could have regular Starfighters, 2nd have bombers, and 3rd have Interceptors?

-----------------------
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstien

"There is a certain kind of peace that can be found only on the other side of war." -Sean Connery as King Arthur in "First Knight."

FL/PO2 Chipmunk Man/Kaph 3-1/Phoenix/mSSD Atrus/DEF/VEN/VE/(=A=)[LoC][MC:1]
Darkhawk
ComNet Disciple

[VE-DJO] Sith Warrior (SW)
[VE-NAVY] Commodore (COM)

Post Number:  2090
Total Posts:  2685
February 3, 2004 11:00:49 AM    View the profile of Darkhawk 
What's so special about 3rd flight that they get Interceptors?
Give two of the flights Interceptors, the third flight Bombers, and the training flight Fighters. Or something to that effect.

I don't think Interceptors is going too far. Later on you can always upgrade to Avengers or even Defenders and Assault Gunboats or Scimitar Bombers.

-----------------------
DLotS/SW Darkhawk/mSSD Atrus/VEDJ/VE [CR]
[This message has been edited by Darkhawk (edited February 3, 2004 11:01:46 AM)]
Arturus
ComNet Member

[VE-NAVY] Ensign (ESN)

February 3, 2004 11:02:02 AM    View the profile of Arturus 
I think keepingit uniform would make it more realistic and is tactically more feesible.

-----------------------
Darkhawk
ComNet Disciple

[VE-DJO] Sith Warrior (SW)
[VE-NAVY] Commodore (COM)

Post Number:  2090
Total Posts:  2685
February 3, 2004 11:07:11 AM    View the profile of Darkhawk 
Then you all stay in TIE Bombers! Mwahahaha.

Actually, we are post-Thrawn these days, or so I hear. Scimitar Assault Bombers would make more sense. And at this point in time, Imperial ships would be equipped with TIE Interceptors over Fighters if you go that route... Interceptors or possibly A-9 Vigilances or I-7 Howlrunners. Those were the standard Imperial fighters (seeing as how Bombers and Fighters were antiquated and/or mostly wiped out by the Republic).

-----------------------
DLotS/SW Darkhawk/mSSD Atrus/VEDJ/VE [CR]
Arturus
ComNet Member

[VE-NAVY] Ensign (ESN)

February 3, 2004 11:08:38 AM    View the profile of Arturus 
A totally new fighter for us to fly might be a good idea...however my slogan is anything but a bomber :P

-----------------------
Japheth
ComNet Sultan

[VE-VEHC] Rear Admiral*

February 3, 2004 11:19:44 AM    View the profile of Japheth 
I don't know that we can mass produce something new for equipping. My first impulse is to put everyone in TIE Fighters, but I can see how Interceptors are feasable, nothing higher than that though... Unless you all want to be a heavy assult squadron in which case Gunboats aren't out of the question.

-----------------------
-----------------------
ComNet > Imperial Navy > Archived Navy Main ComNet > Does Anybody Care?  |  New Posts    
  Pages:  [ 1 2 3 ]   

All times are CST. The time now is 2:25:38 PM
Comnet Jump:

Current Online Members - 0  |  Guests - 307  |  Bots - 2

< Contact Us - The Vast Empire >