Communications Network
Vast Empire  -  New Posts  -  Search  -  Statistics  -  Login 

ComNet > Imperial Navy > Archived Navy Main ComNet > Counterpunch: War discussion

Pages:  [ 1 2 3 4 5 ]   
Author
Topic:  Counterpunch: War discussion
Trykon
ComNet Marshal

Trykon

[VE-DJO] Adept
[VE-NAVY] Commander

Post Number:  2154
Total Posts:  3784
  Counterpunch: War discussion
December 4, 2012 6:18:06 PM    View the profile of Trykon 
Okay, gentlebeings, this is it.  The Second Act (of Three) of the Counterpunch arc is underway, and will be comprised of an all-Navy story, subtitled "War," which can be found here.

Please, use this thread for related discussion - develop story ideas with each other, and encourage each other to new heights of activity.

As you all know, a number of changes to the OOC organization of the VEN have been rolled out this past week.  I want to use this story to experiment with complementary changes to the way we write, IC:

1.) Some folks feel that there haven't been adequate opportunities for character development, in official Navy stories.  As you can hopefully tell from my initial posts, CD is not forbidden in Navy stories!  The trick is to make sure that every post you write is advancing the plot or adding needed information - that's the requirement for every post.  It's possible to meet that requirement, and still build relationships and personal arcs, as I hope my first post(s) show.  In short: feel free to incorporate character development vignettes and interpersonal arcs into your posts, as long as you're simultaneously adding to the reader's understanding of the main story arc.  Use the After Action Report in your OOC note at the end to draw attention to important facts and plot points, if they're buried in a post that's mostly personal character/relationship growth.

2.) Starfighter pilots, I want to see relationships developing, and I want you to introduce the new squadrons of Blade Wing.  You've got friends MIA over an enemy installation, and you want to rescue them, but you can't go until the whole Fleet is ready to go.  You've got new roles to fill, but not enough time to ease into them.  Show me the tensions that those conflicting desires and circumstances bring out, as you show me the character of your squadrons, as they are now and as you as SCOs envision them.

3.) Fleet people, let's use this as an opportunity to really explore the one-ship idea.  I know the roster hasn't been updated yet, but I've spoken with you all individually, by this point: Bacredi is my XO on the Adjudicator, with Ellesmere as the ranking Bridge officer beneath him.  Serpent is commanding the VSD Brilliant, and is the Fleet's Executive Officer.  Echelon commands the Stonewall.  Fyston is a medic onboard Adjudicator, and will be fleshing out the way Navy medical providers have a career in the club.  Let's have fun, and write together, folks!

4.) VENI, we have an existential threat to the VE, about to be deployed from Bloodmoon.  We also have an unfavorable tactical situation waiting for us beyond that system, at the Sollamens Asteroid Field.  Uncover these threats, and try to eliminate them.

5.) That leads me to my last - and most important - point: the Counterpunch Arc was initially conceived by Drac as a chance for us to explore the notion that actions have consequences, in VE story arcs.  That's my intention as well.  The "plan" for Famine was for you guys to write about laying waste to so many worlds that the Dominion was forced to respond.  The "plan" for Pestilence was that the Famine distraction would dovetail nicely with a gripping adventure about taking out the Bloodmoon facility.  Well, activity on both stories dropped a bit, and so the objectives were not fully met.  Because of this, the Dominion we face at the start of the War story is much stronger than what I'd initially intended.  Actions have consequences.  If we can't be active at the start of this story, the Dominion will release their superweapon, and the VE will be in grave danger.  If we can't maintain activity beyond the first and second stages of this story, it's possible the War will NOT go favorably for us.  I'm tying in-story success or failure not only to the deeds of our characters, in-story, but also to the actions of all of us, OOC, as writers.  Don't assume that the VE is invulnerable; it isn't, and it needs us to be active to save it.
CNW/CDR Wyl "Trick" Trykon/ISD Adjudicator/TF:A/2Flt/FC/VEN/VE

[SoA][SoV][BWC][NSM][E][NAR][HNS][DSM][SWC][1NS][VC:B][LoM][VC:S][NC][GWC][VC:G][CoB]
(=*AE*=)(=*SAE*=)(=*TG*=)(=*SCFE*=)

TRN/AD Trykon/DJO/VEDJ
[This message has been edited by Trick (edited December 4, 2012 6:32:29 PM)]
Dunny
ComNet Member

Dunny

[VE-ARMY] Corporal
[VE-NAVY] Senior Chief Petty Officer

Post Number:  315
Total Posts:  438
  RE: Counterpunch: War discussion
December 4, 2012 6:36:10 PM    View the profile of Dunny 
To demonstrate the fact that the 50th have been quite literally training non-stop, they're straight in the simulator. No greetings, no drinkies at the bar, there's no time for that. There's a war on, and two days to turn this rabble into a Fighter Squadron.

Against one of the other new Squadrons. Work together as a team, people. As Trykon said, victory is not guaranteed.
SCO|SCPO Sam "Dunny" Dunn
Cobalt One|S:50 "Chlovi" W:101 "Blade"
ISD Adjudicator|TF:A|2FL|SC|VEN|VE

Imperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars Image
Imperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars Image
Serpent
ComNet Member
Imperial Baronet

Serpent

[VE-NAVY] Chief Warrant Officer

Post Number:  576
Total Posts:  1214
December 4, 2012 9:18:18 PM    View the profile of Serpent 
I am writing furiously now, but may not have time to get a post up before I have to head to work!  Will post later!

But going back to what Trick said about character development in stories, I must say that this is a challenge that I always have in my mind.  Action is good, but I always like to give my character some personal narative to link my posts together.

In Counterpunch: Famine, I worked with the idea that my character was suddenly in command of an entire Taskforce and he was stunned by it!  Nearly every post had him dealing with his self-doubts and fears, wondering if he was as good at the job as Drac or Trykon.

For Counterpunch: War, however, I think I shall go down a different route.  Now that Serpent is Captain of a Victory Star Destroyer, I think he will feel like he has 'arrived'.  His naval career is on track and he can start to feel more relaxed and comfortable.  However, running such a large ship can be problem, especially going from the small crew of a CR90 to the large crew of a VSD.  I think crew problems and interactions, and having to smooth them out, will provide me the personal angle in the story to come.

Anyway, just thought I'd share my thought process.  Hope everyone else can find the personal story in this tale.  Now, let's go take the fight to the Imperial Dominion!
SCAP/CWO Pherik “Serpent” Zail / VSD Brilliant /TF:Aurek/2Flt/FC/VEN/VE
[SoA][LoM][NAR][E][CBV][SoV][MiD][1NS][GWC][MC1][VC:E][CC:1][=*Eng*=][=BO=]

"It isn't the killing, you know.  It's the beauty of battles that I love - the choreography and the challenge of executing everything
just right - and the challenge of matching your wits against a capable opponent." - Gilad Pellaeon
Trykon
ComNet Marshal

Trykon

[VE-DJO] Adept
[VE-NAVY] Commander

Post Number:  2159
December 5, 2012 5:14:03 AM    View the profile of Trykon 
Thanks, Serpent!  Post when you can, of course, but don't run yourself ragged! 

I appreciate your character development a lot: it's always skillfully woven into posts that seem mostly to be about battle description or even briefing room meetings.  It's good to see the character growing into the role you've earned OOC: the role of a highly competent leader.

Dunny, you definitely get brownie points for posting to the story so quickly that I was still formatting my second post (which was supposed to come right on the heels of my first, as in the other Counterpunch tales).    Well done, and thank you for putting in the time and thought between stories to open strong.  Chlovi, follow his example, and jump in! 

[SoA][SoV][BWC][NSM][E][NAR][HNS][DSM][SWC][1NS][VC:B][LoM][VC:S][NC][GWC][VC:G][CoB]

TRN/AD Trykon/DJO/VEDJ
Serpent
ComNet Member
Imperial Baronet

Serpent

Post Number:  578
December 5, 2012 9:19:33 AM    View the profile of Serpent 
My first post is up!

Just thought I'd bring my transfer in-story, and as part of my 'crew strife' angle I have made it so that Serpent has only just taken over when this story begins.  I will slowly begin to introduce new NPCs for my ship (updating the Brilliant's wiki as I go) and personality clashes between them and my character will give me plenty of CD to work on.

Oh, and to complicate things, I've also decided to have a clash with Trick's new NPC, Commander Krieg.  I mean, she's an XO, I'm an XO, we are bound to tread on each other a bit!

"It isn't the killing, you know.  It's the beauty of battles that I love - the choreography and the challenge of executing everything
just right - and the challenge of matching your wits against a capable opponent." - Gilad Pellaeon
Trykon
ComNet Marshal

Trykon

[VE-DJO] Adept
[VE-NAVY] Commander

Post Number:  2160
December 5, 2012 1:53:33 PM    View the profile of Trykon 
Precisely what I'd hoped would happen, Serpent!  Glad she's a good source of conflict.    I also really appreciated your characterization of your command staff.  Obviously, we've met them before in previous stories, but this was a great reintroduction to their personalities, and I'm eager to see them in action on a bigger ship.

Who's next?  Bacredi or Fyston on my ship?  Echelon on his?  Someone from Strill?  More Chlovi Cat folks?  Keep it up, people - so far, so great!

TRN/AD Trykon/DJO/VEDJ
DeepSix
ComNet Member

DeepSix

[VE-DJO] Journeyman
[VE-ICS] Pirate Swabbie
[VE-NAVY] Lieutenant Junior Grade

Post Number:  592
Total Posts:  973
December 5, 2012 5:16:57 PM    View the profile of DeepSix 
I would like to point out that the main reason I posted tonight was to disrupt Trykon's guess as far as the next poster was concerned

That'll teach you to overlook the people leading the NPC squadrons

That being said, I have to say the start of the story looks promising and I for one am looking forward to seeing it unfold.
WC/LTJG DeepSix/Golden One/S:38th Vornskr/W:101st Blade/ISD-II Adjudicator/TF:A/2Flt/SC/VEN/VE [=*TG*=] [=*VIM*=]

TRN/JRN DeepSix/DJO/Training Sect/VEDJ
Trykon
ComNet Marshal

Trykon

[VE-DJO] Adept
[VE-NAVY] Commander

Post Number:  2162
December 5, 2012 7:32:20 PM    View the profile of Trykon 
Most enjoyable, Deep.  But how can you be sure I didn't leave you out of my last post as a clever bit of reverse psychology?  Regardless, good to see you jump in.

Who's next? 

TRN/AD Trykon/DJO/VEDJ
Fyston
ComNet Initiate

Fyston

[VE-NAVY] Chief Petty Officer

Post Number:  151
Total Posts:  151
December 5, 2012 8:54:56 PM    View the profile of Fyston 
You said we'd either love her or hate her. Fy chose the first. Literally.
JBO/CPO Fy/1-3/S:82 Tuk'Ata/W:245 Scimitar/mSSD Atrus/TF:A 2Flt/SFC/VEN/VE [SoA] [=^SUR^=] (CAR)
Serpent
ComNet Member
Imperial Baronet

Serpent

Post Number:  579
December 5, 2012 9:23:53 PM    View the profile of Serpent 
So that's why she was too busy to deal with my requests!  I'll get you for this, Fyston....

Fyston
ComNet Initiate

Fyston

Post Number:  152
December 5, 2012 9:26:19 PM    View the profile of Fyston 
All's fair in love and war, and this happens to be a bit of both
JBO/CPO Fy/1-3/S:82 Tuk'Ata/W:245 Scimitar/mSSD Atrus/TF:A 2Flt/SFC/VEN/VE [SoA] [=^SUR^=] (CAR)
Maroy
ComNet Member

Maroy

[VE-NAVY] Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post Number:  555
Total Posts:  718
December 6, 2012 1:00:48 AM    View the profile of Maroy 
Thanks, Fyston. Your antics just made my day

Anyway, I apologize for the huge CD to Plot ratio in my post. Should be the only time I'll need to do an exposition dump that big, though, so it'll get better from here on out.
FM/WO2/Maroy/Cobalt 5/S:50 "Chlovi" W:101 "Blade"/ISD Adjudicator/TF:A|2FL|SC|VEN|VE (=*A*=) [GCM] [CBV] [IG] [MC2] [MC1] [VC:B] [LoM] [CC:P]
Trykon
ComNet Marshal

Trykon

[VE-DJO] Adept
[VE-NAVY] Commander

Post Number:  2165
December 6, 2012 1:57:14 AM    View the profile of Trykon 
Oy.  I don't know really know what to say, Fyston.  Just... remember to keep it PG-13, and I'll look the other way.    One thing, though: this isn't an order or anything, but I find your use of bold text for dialogue a little distracting.  Maybe consider dropping it except in cases where you're intending to draw attention to a particular word or phrase?  That aside, this was a really great introduction: we got a view of your comic side as a writer, and Fyston's a flirt and sort of a sociopath.  Lol.

Welcome to War, Joamer!    Glad Trick's made such an impression on your character, and glad he's working so hard to get Strill in shape.  The post was a great look into his motives, and my only suggestion is to introduce the rest of Strill as soon as possible!    I liked the Dune reference, too.

Don't apologize, Maroy!  I thought it was well-balanced, actually.  These posts are all going to be a bit of an info-dump... that's okay!  There will be PLENTY of action in this story, but we need a sense beforehand of who we're going to care about, when the Sith hits the fan.  So to speak. 

TRN/AD Trykon/DJO/VEDJ
[This message has been edited by Trick (edited December 6, 2012 1:59:47 AM)]
Trykon
ComNet Marshal

Trykon

[VE-DJO] Adept
[VE-NAVY] Commander

Post Number:  2167
December 6, 2012 3:02:02 AM    View the profile of Trykon 
War is off to a great start, everybody!  I'm really excited to see what we can all do, working together on one epic story.

Sorry to double-post, but I wanted to reiterate here what I just posted in the VEN Reforms thread: MVP-style awards are back, and the new roster is almost done!  The Imperial Guardian, Captain's Own, and Admiral's Own should be even more incentive for everyone to post often, and post well, and post in collaboration with others.  And the roster should clarify who should report to whom, so this week the reporting system should work.    Right?  Right!

TRN/AD Trykon/DJO/VEDJ
DeepSix
ComNet Member

DeepSix

[VE-DJO] Journeyman
[VE-ICS] Pirate Swabbie

Post Number:  595
December 6, 2012 6:12:13 AM    View the profile of DeepSix 
/me wipes a single tear from the eye

Fyston, you grew up so fast...
WC/LTJG DeepSix/Golden One/S:38th Vornskr/W:101st Blade/ISD-II Adjudicator/TF:A/2Flt/SC/VEN/VE [=*TG*=] [=*VIM*=]

Fyston
ComNet Initiate

Fyston

Post Number:  153
December 6, 2012 10:35:28 AM    View the profile of Fyston 
Don't worry, Trick, I promise not to write the new 50 Shades of Gray on the forum.
Where people can see it.

Besides, Deep, I was in your squadron and then wing for how long?
JBO/CPO Fyston "Fy" Sutsgy/ISD-II Adjudicator/TF:A 2Flt/FC/VEN/VE [SoA] (=^NDr^=) (CAR) {AFM} {Infl} {Inter} {XenMA}
[This message has been edited by Fyston (edited December 6, 2012 10:35:59 AM)]
DeepSix
ComNet Member

DeepSix

[VE-DJO] Journeyman
[VE-ICS] Pirate Swabbie

Post Number:  596
December 6, 2012 3:43:55 PM    View the profile of DeepSix 
Heck if I can remember...

It's rather refreshing seeing you learned some useful tactics though

Dunny
ComNet Member

Dunny

[VE-ARMY] Corporal

Post Number:  320
December 6, 2012 7:24:40 PM    View the profile of Dunny 
Post done. This will be my only post for the weekend, I'll be out of town, so I did something for the 50th and for VENI. Hopefully, it is enough for the next couple of days.

Maroy is in charge until I return.

Trykon
ComNet Marshal

Trykon

[VE-DJO] Adept
[VE-NAVY] Commander

Post Number:  2174
December 6, 2012 7:49:02 PM    View the profile of Trykon 
Great posts, Dunny!  I'm going to go ahead and count these as two separate posts for the purposes of tracking story contributions, since both sections individually meet length requirements and are so wildly disparate in subject matter, but that means that this was sort of akin to double-posting.  It's totally fine - I love seeing the activity! - but it's something for everyone in VENI to keep in mind: do still try to space out your VENI NPC-POV posts and your main PC-POV posts.  Sometimes, timing doesn't allow for separate posts, and that's cool, but the ideal is always to have a story with multiple people contributing in turn, to allow for responses and redirection from other members, before you move the story along more by yourself.

Again, this is a great "problem" to have - too much awesomeness to want to post about, balanced against so many contributors to a story that we're a little worried about cramping each other's style - so I'm not at all upset!  Like I said, it's just something to keep in mind, especially for folks who are balancing a regular Navy PC with VENI NPCs. 

TRN/AD Trykon/DJO/VEDJ
Serpent
ComNet Member
Imperial Baronet

Serpent

Post Number:  582
December 6, 2012 9:23:07 PM    View the profile of Serpent 
Sorry to flood the story with VENI subplot, but I've posted again (this time on behalf of Intelligence).

Next post I make will be back to Serpent, but that shall not be till after the weekend (for I am away for the next two days).

Let's keep this strong start going, folks, and I hope for plenty to read when I come back!

Trykon
ComNet Marshal

Trykon

[VE-DJO] Adept
[VE-NAVY] Commander

Post Number:  2180
December 7, 2012 6:52:18 PM    View the profile of Trykon 
Hehe.  Welcome back, Bacredi.

Only thing I'll add to your fine introduction is an OOC concern: these days the Navy is asking all members to add a word count to the end of their posts in an OOC note, as well as a brief summary of the post's plot, called an After Action Report (or AAR).  This has proven helpful both during the stories and after, at award time. 

TRN/AD Trykon/DJO/VEDJ
Dunny
ComNet Member

Dunny

[VE-ARMY] Corporal

Post Number:  322
December 8, 2012 2:41:15 PM    View the profile of Dunny 
Normally I'd have spaced 'em out, but I wanted to make sure I was up-to-date on everything before I went on leave

Back now, btw.

Trykon
ComNet Marshal

Trykon

[VE-DJO] Adept
[VE-NAVY] Commander

Post Number:  2183
December 8, 2012 2:49:04 PM    View the profile of Trykon 
No worries, Dunny.  As I said, it just reminded me that with everyone on one story, actively posting away, and with some folks balancing their PC against VENI NPCs, it's something that we all should be careful about.    And welcome back!

DarianRogue AND Xanin, those were great posts!  Welcome to War!

DR, your discussion of dogfighting tactical maneuvers and strategies was concise and believable.  The action was well-paced and laced with memorable character details.  Really good job!

Xanin, I was quite impressed with your post, too.  It will be VERY interesting to see Strill move past this Army-style training, and into the cockpit.  Can't have a squadron of pilots shooting up stims in the middle of a fight... 

TRN/AD Trykon/DJO/VEDJ
[This message has been edited by Trick (edited December 8, 2012 9:14:22 PM)]
Maroy
ComNet Member

Maroy

Post Number:  557
Total Posts:  718
December 9, 2012 3:08:08 AM    View the profile of Maroy 
Posted again. This one's a lot heavier on the action, but there's still plenty of CD mixed in with it. Not entirely sure if it describes a plausible scenario, but it does make for an interesting tactical challenge IC.
FM/WO2/Maroy/Cobalt 5/S:50 "Chlovi" W:101 "Blade"/ISD Adjudicator/TF:A|2FL|SC|VEN|VE (=*A*=) [GCM] [CBV] [IG] [MC2] [MC1] [VC:B] [LoM] [CC:P]
Trykon
ComNet Marshal

Trykon

[VE-DJO] Adept
[VE-NAVY] Commander

Post Number:  2189
December 9, 2012 4:01:00 PM    View the profile of Trykon 
Posted again.  A little sloppy, especially in that last section, but at least it gives you a little more to work with, Bacredi.  Let me know if I've mis-characterized your PC at all; I can edit. 

Maroy, I loved the action!  The appearance of the bombers was a little sudden, but I think it's ok.  A sim exercise can afford to be a little jarring, I think.

Deep, your bird-eye overview of the action was also welcome.  Great job, everybody!

Okay, folks, my post moves the official timeline up about a day.  In about one more day of story-time, we leave for ID space!  Finish up your preparation/introduction arcs (VENI and squadrons especially), so we can get to the main event!

TRN/AD Trykon/DJO/VEDJ
Echelon
ComNet Marshal

Echelon

Post Number:  532
Total Posts:  546
December 9, 2012 9:46:56 PM    View the profile of Echelon 
Hey! I actually posted!

SCAP/WO2 Rhycus 'Echelon' Bandoran/CR90 Stonewall/TF:B/1Flt/VEN/VE

CNT/WO2 Rhycus 'Echelon' Bandoran/PLF Cappadocious/VENA/VEN/VE

[SoA] [NAR] [CAR] [MC2] [BWC] [HNS] [MC1] [SWC] [1NS] [LoM] [VC:B] [CC:F]
[=*ENG*=] {VehM} {SfrM} {HypM} {Astr} {LogS} {Shut} {Gunn} (*SCFE*)

Naval High Command

MVP of Out of the Invisible

Serpent
ComNet Member
Imperial Baronet

Serpent

Post Number:  585
December 9, 2012 10:18:35 PM    View the profile of Serpent 
Okay, I have posted again!

The Brilliant is all ready to go, just waiting on the VENI folks to land!

Also, Echelon, nice post, welcome to the story!  And the same to Bacredi!  Pleased to meet you and I look forward to writing with you!

[This message has been edited by Serpent (edited December 9, 2012 10:20:50 PM)]
Bacredi
ComNet Expert

Bacredi

[VE-ARMY] First Sergeant
[VE-NAVY] Commander
[VE-VEEC] Essayist

Post Number:  1592
Total Posts:  1594
December 9, 2012 11:35:33 PM    View the profile of Bacredi 
If you guys ever need it, my secondary watch crew is here.
Captain-"ish" of the Monarch
Grey
ComNet Member

Grey

[VE-NAVY] Captain

Post Number:  331
Total Posts:  558
December 12, 2012 9:28:16 PM    View the profile of Grey 
We of VENI are now ready to proceed when you wish, Commander Trykon.  The Bloodmoon will fall, my people guarantee it.

We have a Fission bomb, and if my people fail, they have orders to detonate.  I regret in advance the loss of any Second Fleet vessels caught in the blast radius.
[This message has been edited by Grey (edited December 12, 2012 10:13:08 PM)]
Trykon
ComNet Marshal

Trykon

[VE-DJO] Adept
[VE-NAVY] Commander

Post Number:  2196
December 12, 2012 9:43:03 PM    View the profile of Trykon 
A radiant radius indeed.  Yikes!

Okay, everyone: plan is to move forward on Friday (A day and a half from now), so wrap up any loose ends now!

TRN/AD Trykon/DJO/VEDJ
ComNet > Imperial Navy > Archived Navy Main ComNet > Counterpunch: War discussion  |  New Posts    
  Pages:  [ 1 2 3 4 5 ]   

All times are CST. The time now is 10:49:52 AM
Comnet Jump:

Current Online Members - 0  |  Guests - 184  |  Bots - 1

< Contact Us - The Vast Empire >