Communications Network
Vast Empire  -  New Posts  -  Search  -  Statistics  -  Login 

ComNet > Neutral Messages > Archived Main ComNet > Concerning Swearing...

Pages:  [ 1 2 ]   
Author
Topic:  Concerning Swearing...
Argon Viper
ComNet Expert

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-VEEC] Senior Writer

Post Number:  1789
Total Posts:  1789
  RE: Concerning Swearing...
June 5, 2002 7:40:52 PM    View the profile of Argon Viper 
Well, there is no statute of limitations in the international community which, for better or worse, we represent...

-----------------------
Argon Viper
IW COL Argon Viper{ret}
"History is on the move, those who cannot keep up will watch from a distance, and those who get in our way will not watch at all" - Grand Admiral Thrawn
"How boring life would be if everyone felt the same way we do..." - Argon Viper
"Condemnation does not liberate, it oppresses" - Carl G Jung
Japheth
ComNet Veteran

[VE-DJO] Krath Templar (KT)
[VE-NAVY] Rear Admiral (RAD)
[VE-VEHC] Rear Admiral*

Post Number:  1197
Total Posts:  2517
June 5, 2002 8:10:53 PM    View the profile of Japheth 
Crimes are tried in the nation they were commited in, thus subjecting them to the statute of limitations for that country. If a person flees the country they are often extradited back to their country of orgin to be brought to trial for their crime.

-----------------------
NXO/RAD Japheth Cappadocious/NHC-2/ISD Overlord/VEN/VE/(=SA=)(=SCPA=)(=FOCE=)[BRC][MC:1][KC]
ECM/KPT Japheth Cappadocious/Krath Order/Elite Griffen Sect/VEDJ/VE

I still say a church steeple with a lightening rod on top shows a lack of confidence.
-Doug McLeod
Argon Viper
ComNet Expert

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-VEEC] Senior Writer

June 5, 2002 8:18:02 PM    View the profile of Argon Viper 
Also true, but I doubt that any country has a statute of limitations as low as 2 months 

-----------------------
Argon Viper
IW COL Argon Viper{ret}
"History is on the move, those who cannot keep up will watch from a distance, and those who get in our way will not watch at all" - Grand Admiral Thrawn
Threeof4
ComNet Member

[VE-NAVY] Admiral (ADM)
[VE-VEHC] Field Marshal*

Post Number:  438
Total Posts:  438
June 5, 2002 9:31:29 PM    View the profile of Threeof4 
Most people aren't as forgiving as I am.

-----------------------
::Salute::
FM Threeof4
Field Marshal - Vast Empire
Notepad
Email
I'm in hell.
Merrick
ComNet Member

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant First Class

Post Number:  464
Total Posts:  659
June 5, 2002 9:54:45 PM    View the profile of Merrick 
Well basically since almost all of the ops who claim to have been around during this time say they saw nothing, I have no case. So off I wander into my cloud of invisibility again, never to be seen in #ve.

-----------------------
Skyalin Tel'sha
Jester Squad's chick with a sword
To thy protection fear and sorrow flee, and those that weary are of light find rest in thee.
If you love something, set it free. If it doesn't come back, hunt it down and kill it.
the3Djedi
ComNet Initiate

Post Number:  143
Total Posts:  143
June 5, 2002 10:30:34 PM    View the profile of the3Djedi 
    Ok, all I'm asking is that you try to keep it down with the swearing and the sexism stuff.  Ok?  Maybe a moderator could change the topic to a warning or something.  And Merrick is right.  You tell jokes that you THINK are harmless, but they aren't to her, or me even.  It used to be fun in the #vast_empire.  Now I rarely go there.  That is all I have to say.     Thank you btw, when did this post's topic become: "Crimes in the US"?

-----------------------
TRP/LCPL the3djedi/3SQD/1PLT/1COM/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE
Argon Viper
ComNet Expert

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-VEEC] Senior Writer

June 5, 2002 10:58:14 PM    View the profile of Argon Viper 
Since we said so...  And 3, you're not forgiving, it's been months and you still hold a grudge against the FA    As for what 3D said, I agree, just show a little maturity.  If I can do it, anyone can.

-----------------------
Argon Viper
IW COL Argon Viper{ret}
Threeof4
ComNet Member

[VE-NAVY] Admiral (ADM)
[VE-VEHC] Field Marshal*

Post Number:  438
Total Posts:  438
June 6, 2002 8:54:46 AM    View the profile of Threeof4 
Even santa claus gets tired of whiny needy little children and goes off to kill a few elves every now and then.  Does that make him a bad person?  No.  It makes him human.  Do people care that he kills elves?  No, they're not human.  People tend to look the other way because they're whiny needy little children and let him get away with everything he wants because they want all the free little toys. Read as much into that as you want. 

-----------------------
::Salute::
FM Threeof4
Field Marshal - Vast Empire
Notepad
Email
I'm in hell.
Imperial Center
ComNet n00b

The Vast Empire  [VEHC]

Post Number:  16
Total Posts:  17
June 6, 2002 2:03:52 PM    View the profile of Imperial Center 
I'm not going to delve into this much except to say one thing.  (Okay, more than one thing.  And yes, this is Fury and I forgot to logout and back in.  Do not consider my words to be store policy or any such thing.) Everyone tosses around the word respect and twists it to their own needs.  Is this really what we are looking for? As to Merrick's charges, I have seen off-color jokes told in #ve that had no reason to be there.  On one occasion I perked up long enough to see it happen (nad not have to scroll through a log later) and have a discussion with the two joke tellers to knock it off or move it to the Lounge.  After a small discussion, they agreed to this idea. The point is, if it's not considered socially correct to rip on someone of another race, then why is it okay to bad mouth the girl who just broke up with you?  Go through your emotions either a) offline or b) in a way that expresses displeasure at the situation if not the person.  Or just go to another channel to vent. This is not to say I am innocent of this.  I know I've complained about some of my co-workers while just going through the day.  Some of those comments could be taken as slander or sexism. And as for words I have spoken out of turn and have offended someone with, I would like to apologize.  There is a line between good fun and an uncomfortable atmosphere. The point is that we each decide that for ourselves.  Other than the ops using a heavy hand, it is up to ALL of us to make the VE a fun place.  Basically, you and three others could be having fun in a chat, but if someone pops up with a legitimate complaint that the conversation is too raunchy or offensive to them, take a second to look up and see what might have caused that reaction.  If your words could be construed as combative or offensive, offer an apology and move the conversation elsewhere.  No one is being asked to change the way they think, speak, or behave; only where and when they do so.  It is not so much work to open a new channel in IRC as a form of respect.  It is discussions like this where people are forced to take responsiblity for their actions that are hard. Is the VE a "boy's club"? Well, regardless of the majority of the membership, it is not.  If that is what the membership wants, then maybe that should change.  The point is, we already have rules in place.  The ops and those in charge of divisions; heck, squad and flight leaders, should behave in a manner that shows respect.  We have a few issues we should all work on. A couple from what has been brought up here or off the top of my head: 1. Cursing and innuendo at the expense of others. This should apply to everyone. 2. Respect for anyone's race, gender, sexual preference, politicial affiliation (barring one of the JMac v. Argon debate on the Lounge Comnet), religion, and yes Arturus, nationality. 3. Grammar or English ability - we have a lot of non-US/UK/CAN members who speak English quite well.  We also have some younger members in English-speaking countries who are (face it) in the 6th or 7th grades.  And even for those who "should know better" and do not, there is no need to constantly berate or correct their comments.  Granted, if I type something incredibly stupid, feel free to poke fun or pop me a PM to advise me on what I did wrong.  I know if I was bereft of information, I wouldn't mind a helping hand.  I would, however, object to the grammar police. Any other things anyone thinks we should work on?   ----------------------- "Arms, armor, ships and stuff for the Imperial on the go" Imperial Center
[This message has been edited by Imperial Center (edited June 6, 2002 2:18:31 PM)]
Darkhawk
ComNet Disciple

[VE-DJO] Sith Warrior (SW)
[VE-NAVY] Commodore (COM)

Post Number:  2090
Total Posts:  2685
June 6, 2002 2:38:02 PM    View the profile of Darkhawk 
We should respect our older, more decrepit members, as they dwelve into the twilight of their years. After all, soon they will be obsolete and hauled off to the junkyard. So, until then, we need to provide them with the best care available, and I'm not talking about simple Social Security or Medicare. I'm talking an ALL OUT benefit program for our geriatrics. This list of ailing members is made up of: Fury :P No, really. I agree with everything you just mentioned, Fury. I hope everyone will strive a little harder to adhere more closely to your line of thinking. *salutes*

-----------------------
NTO/SCAP/FL/COM Darkhawk/Raptor 3-1 /ISD II Devastator/OFF/VEN/VE/(=A=)(=SA=)(=JCPA=)(=SCPA=)(=FOCE=)[LoC][BRC][VC:Ebony]

CM/SG Darkhawk/Sith/Eagle 1-5/mSSD Atrus/VEDJ/VE
JMac
ComNet Veteran

[VE-DJO] Dark Jedi Knight (DJK)
[VE-NAVY] Lt. Commander (LCM)

Post Number:  1029
Total Posts:  1216
June 6, 2002 3:31:59 PM    View the profile of JMac 
I agree with all of this up to a point.  For instince, "Native American" activists have been up in arms for quite some time over team names such as the Braves, the Redskins, etc.  Many concessions have been made to these activists, laws, changed names, etc.  A recent poll that was taken of American Indians both on and off of reservations showed that 98% of them liked the idea of team names such as the Redskins.  Many concessions were made to what amounted to a small fringe movement of overly sensitive people, while the majority either didn't care or were happy with it. Another example.  My friend Liquid and I continually banter back and forth, exchanging insults, jokes etc.  The same goes between myself and many other members.  I have nothing but the utmost of respect for Liquid, as for all of the other members that I joke with.  Yet many things that we say could be constued as slightly inappropriate, though none of it falls outside of the CoC.  At what point will the line be drawn between friendly bantering and malicious insults?  For that matter, at what point should the line be drawn for things that are considered sexism.  A case in point would be the Guys Rule topic in the lounge.  In it, there are many things that could be deemed harmless bantering or cruel sexism.  I was an active part in that post, but that doesn't mean that I hold women in a lower esteem then I do men.  Many of my best friends are girls, and I respect them completely.  Do I feel that we are different, of course.  We have different physical strengths and weaknesses, different mental strengths and weaknesses, different hormones, differing mindsets.  That doesn't mean that either sex is better.  I frequently joke back and forth with them over the fabled "Battle of the Sexes".  That doesn't lessen my regard for them.  So where should that line be drawn. I guess that the point that I am trying to make here is this: Yes we need to try to keep this clean and fun for everyone, but we have to be carefull not to take it too far.    ----------------------- EFM/PO1 JMac/Aegis 3-4/Aegis 12/(=A=)(=SA=)(MC1) "In order to find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God." - Braveheart Aegis 4ever!!!
[This message has been edited by JMac (edited June 6, 2002 3:32:46 PM)]
Fury
ComNet Overlord

[VE-ARMY] High General
[VE-VEHC] High General*

Post Number:  1578
Total Posts:  2689
June 6, 2002 4:06:10 PM    View the profile of Fury 
Sleep light Darkhawk. As to the whole sensitivity question, we aren't talking about large non-profit organizations or political action committees.  We are talking about individuals here.  I agree with your thinking on this JMac and we should NOT encourage fractional thinking or behavior, just to think a second before typing. As for comnet posts, if someone strolled into a topic called Guys Rule and got offended, that is their own fault - to the point where the subject matter did not step outside the bounds of the CoCs. The #vast_empire channel however, is true public domain.  I'm not saying we should start up a spy group to run inquisitions on members - other groups do that, which is why some people are in the VE in the first place.  I see no need for people to quench their thirst to be asinine jerks (to put it lightly) at the expense of the organization. All I merely think is that we should consider to idea of actually respecting the rights and opinions of others in an open forum.  Which I think is something we can all agree on in principle - and hopefully in action.

-----------------------
XO/LTC Fury/VEA/TADATH/VE [PoC][SotE:HC][SotE:VEA][IOC]
Company Commander
Shopkeeper - Imperial Center
DarkJedi
ComNet n00b

[VE-ARMY] Senior Sergeant

Post Number:  18
Total Posts:  20
June 7, 2002 8:32:17 AM    View the profile of DarkJedi 
Its amazing how topics in comnet get changed so much
Argon Viper
ComNet Expert

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-VEEC] Senior Writer

June 7, 2002 6:01:50 PM    View the profile of Argon Viper 
Go Fury, once again you are the voice of reason.  I think that there are several things that should not be legitimately called intolerance(i.e. my debates/arguments with JMac.  We may disagree on every issue and espouse those opinions consistantly, but that doesn't mean I don't hold him in pretty high respect).  But Merrick's complaint about being called "rapetastic" is perfectly legit.  Our debates are not directed at a specific person who could be insulted by it, that was.

-----------------------
Argon Viper
IW COL Argon Viper{ret}
JMac
ComNet Veteran

[VE-DJO] Dark Jedi Knight (DJK)
[VE-NAVY] Lt. Commander (LCM)

Post Number:  1029
Total Posts:  1216
June 8, 2002 12:23:47 AM    View the profile of JMac 
You telling someone to get over something that you know nothing about shows your stupidity. Three   ----------------------- EFM/PO1 JMac/Aegis 3-4/Aegis 12/(=A=)(=SA=)(MC1) "In order to find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God." - Braveheart Aegis 4ever!!!
[This message has been edited by Threeof4 (edited June 8, 2002 6:23:09 PM)]
Talon
ComNet Overlord

[VE-ARMY] High General
[VE-DJO] Dark Jeedai Master (DJM)
[VE-VEHC] High General

Post Number:  1490
Total Posts:  2417
June 8, 2002 2:13:32 PM    View the profile of Talon 
And you're right, you should have kept your nose out of this. Three   ----------------------- PRF-RC/BG Sierra "Talon" Taurus/HCA-1/VEA/VE[BC][IOC][LoC][SoS][BM][CDS][MSM] WDN-SL/KM "Nightblades"/DC-4/Elite Griffen Sect/VSD-II Griffen/VEDJ/VE[IOC][OQD][WoS 2nd Class] CEO Sierra "Talon" Taurus/ECHC-1/Endoven/Dome 8473/VEEC/VE ----------------------- SCAP/COM Vincent "Claw" Taurus/ISD Nemesis/Offensive Fleet/VEN[=A=][LoM][IOC][IC2] CE Vincent "Claw" Taurus/Endoven/Dome 8457/VEEC/VE
[This message has been edited by Threeof4 (edited June 8, 2002 6:24:12 PM)]
ComNet > Neutral Messages > Archived Main ComNet > Concerning Swearing...  |  New Posts    
  Pages:  [ 1 2 ]   

All times are CST. The time now is 10:28:32 AM
Comnet Jump:

Current Online Members - 0  |  Guests - 75  |  Bots - 2

< Contact Us - The Vast Empire >