Communications Network
Vast Empire  -  New Posts  -  Search  -  Statistics  -  Login 

ComNet > Neutral Messages > Archived Main ComNet > Before you make any "political" statements...

Pages:  [ << 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 >> ]   
Author
Topic:  Before you make any "political" statements...
Kuroishi
ComNet Member

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant First Class

Post Number:  589
Total Posts:  948
  RE: Before you make any "political" statements...
August 1, 2004 12:03:22 AM    View the profile of Kuroishi 
Kidding?  All we'd have to do is get the Canadians drunk, troll for dancing girls, and offer them significant discounts on firearms and they are ours.  :P

Of course that can cause us to loose our ambasador to the Canadians too.

Okay maybe that is just a wierd midnight humor idea that is just plain wierd but would be a damn good way to bribe just about any straight man into doing what you want.

-----------------------
Kuroishi Wraith VEA
Daishi Raptor VEN
Assistant Writer Why Project Copyright Infringment
Ich bin hessliche amerikaner.
Nehmen mir zu dein frauen von vernunftig preis tugendhafte.
"And the sound of many heads hitting many solid objects was heard throughout the land." me
Argon Viper
ComNet Expert

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-VEEC] Senior Writer

Post Number:  1789
Total Posts:  1789
August 4, 2004 4:51:53 PM    View the profile of Argon Viper 
Yeesh man, get some sleep.  Although... 

-----------------------
Argon Viper
Sergeant Major/Senior Writer, VE Today
IW COL Argon Viper{ret}
Fallen Angel and Proud of It!
"History is on the move, those who cannot keep up will watch from a distance, and those who get in our way will not watch at all" - Grand Admiral Thrawn
"Condemnation does not liberate, it oppresses" - Carl G Jung
Zadik
ComNet n00b

[VE-ARMY] Private First Class

Post Number:  17
Total Posts:  17
August 13, 2004 11:18:40 PM    View the profile of Zadik 
*cough*liberalsuck*cough*
Zadik
ComNet n00b

August 13, 2004 11:31:09 PM    View the profile of Zadik 
excuse the run-on sentence but there are two questions i would like to propose... rather rhetorically might i add.

Before the attack on Iraq, the US was playing by the Cold War Containment book in it's fight against terror. The area was enveloped and buffered by US Allies: Israel, India, Pakistan, Russia, Eygpt, Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Kuwait, UAE and backed up by US military and UN peacekeeping facilities and secret CIA bases. Alll of it centering on Iran, the greatest fundamentalist theocracy in the world. Reagan's policy that toppled the unstable Soviet Union never brought about war, and a modified tactic is being used to push China further into capitalism. But how would you suggest containing a threat far worse than communism that operates from opposite ends of the world without borders or bases?

Tell me this: If you planned on attracting all the islamic fundamentalists, terrorists, and terror supporting countries and fighting them all at once in one place in order to offset the dangerous fact that terrorist cells can spread out and attack from any direction in any country even our greatest cities with all sorts of varying types of weapons, what country would you choose to stage the battle?
Anubis
ComNet Novice

[VE-ARMY] Corporal

Post Number:  83
Total Posts:  199
August 15, 2004 12:44:21 AM    View the profile of Anubis 
*cough*conservativessuck*cough*

The best place to have attacked would have been Iran, not Iraq.  Who knows, if Saddam had never invaded Kuwait, he would probably be an ally in the war on terror, since we did support him during the Iran/Iraq war.

And just because China is moving towards capitalism does not mean it still isn't a threat.  Look at the event with the spy plane over China incident that occured not long after Bush took*cough*stole*cough* office.

It is very much believed that in coming years China will become the biggest consumer of oil in the world, and with that it will threaten the US.  Or the Chinese government may wish to take Taiwan for itself. 

Bush has not been observing the threat nations like China, North Korea, and Iran pose...threats that are far worse than Iraq.  Attacking the weaker enemy is a useless strategy.  Sure we lose less lives, but we also use up resources vital to take care of the enemies that are true threats to us and our freedom.

-----------------------
PFC Anubis Benor
Wraith Squad
Vast Empire Army
Zadik
ComNet n00b

August 15, 2004 3:47:47 PM    View the profile of Zadik 
china already is the largest oil consumer... they are the reason gas prices are so high...

i agree they can pose a great threat... especially to liberty, freedom, and Taiwan.
Argon Viper
ComNet Expert

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-VEEC] Senior Writer

August 16, 2004 5:57:56 PM    View the profile of Argon Viper 
Actually, we in the United States still hold the title of the world's largest consumer of oil.  China doesn't have many SUVs, or even cars running around their streets compared to us, so it's hard for them to match us on sheer industry alone 

Anyways, I agree that Iran is the largest threat we face at the moment, China and North Korea have each other (North Korea couldn't survive without China, and you can bet China doesn't want a nuclear neighbor), however, we're not likely to be able to deal with that threat through force, least of all now that we're tied up in Iraq.

The best thing we could do is try to get the reformers elected to office.  Not to directly, the clerics would rile up the anti-American vote, but seriously, if the reformers take enough offices, the theocracy will collapse under the weight of the democratic system (the most democratic system in the middle east, I might add), and whamo, problem pretty much solved.

Also, I'm wondering if anyone else has picked up a trend in their squad like I have in mine.  With the entrance of Zadik to the forum (woohoo!  another debater  ), this makes five out of seven Wraiths who are now here, pretty much all of the active ones in fact, since I haven't heard from Mandor or Sindar for ages.

My point is that, with the exception of Zadik, the Wraiths seem to lean relatively left (I can't say all the way left or liberal, because we're all to power-hungry for that  ).  Anyone else noticed any squadron trends?

-----------------------
Argon Viper
IW COL Argon Viper{ret}
"History is on the move, those who cannot keep up will watch from a distance, and those who get in our way will not watch at all" - Grand Admiral Thrawn
Zadik
ComNet n00b

August 16, 2004 9:37:19 PM    View the profile of Zadik 
well then consider me the wraith crutch (ooh i like that name) i will be the moderate republican holding up the squad falling to the left!

mandor is on my side and i am in contact with him... he happens to be projew... which even if he votes kerry i call him for my side!
Argon Viper
ComNet Expert

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-VEEC] Senior Writer

August 17, 2004 3:10:41 PM    View the profile of Argon Viper 
Projew?  Dude, I am a jew    Being liberal doesn't mean being anti-jew, it's more a statement of being more inclined to left-leaning economic and social stances.

As for the voting for Kerry part, Kerry isn't a liberal.  Kerry is a moderate, which is one of the reasons I like him.

Personally, I identify more with liberal causes than conservative (doesn't mean there aren't a few conservative ones I support too), but I realize that this country will never work if we do things that way.  The middle road seems to be best, and it means that you can vote for the guy and still be conservative 

-----------------------
Argon Viper
IW COL Argon Viper{ret}
[This message has been edited by Argon Viper (edited August 17, 2004 3:12:07 PM)]
Anubis
ComNet Novice

[VE-ARMY] Corporal

August 17, 2004 7:08:35 PM    View the profile of Anubis 
So that's what it was, Pro-Jew.  I thought he was talking about some weird thing, which I have no idea what it could have been.

Anyway I consider myself a great liberal, but I do hold some conservative views *shudders*

One of which involves guns, though my reasons are a bit different.  I agree if everyone had a gun, crime would go down, but I also believe we need our citizenry to have firearms so that when the time comes that our Nation is invaded, we can properly repel the invaders.

There are a few other things, like being pro-war towards our enemies, but I do have a different view on who our most dangerous enemies are.

I believe in a powerful government, and I especially like what Clinton did, working to make the Government more effective.  Hmm, I support abortion, though if a mother wishes to have the child and put it up for adoption I won't stop her.  Gay rights I support, and I am a big cloning fan.

Cloning has so many potential uses, one of which we've seen through the Star Wars films.  But that's a whole nother subject.  Anyway I'd have to say I'm a left-leaning moderate, that is also power hungry and wishes to rule the world someday. Watch out Canada, cuz here I come.

-----------------------
TRP/LCPL Anubis Benor/4SQD/1PLT/1COMP/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE
Wraith Squad
Vast Empire Army
Rema
ComNet Member

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant

Post Number:  858
Total Posts:  1056
August 17, 2004 9:58:21 PM    View the profile of Rema 
No no no no no. If everyone had a gun petty crimes like robbery might go down, but deaths would skyrocket. People get mad at other people really easily these days. So if two people on the street start arguing, instead of yelling at eachother, they will pull guns and start shooting eachother. They would end up killing themselves and surrounding people.

And if this country is invaded,(which is just insane to think that we would be invaded) we have a nice army to defend and im sure a draft would come up. We dont need moron civilian mobs running around with guns shooting whoever they think the enemy is. If everyone has a gun, it takes away some of the power the authorities in this country have. So more guns in stupid peoples hands=chaos.

Now if you have had the training and background check and all that nice stuff, go ahead get yourself a gun. Just not a AK-47. And if you say you will use that for hunting, i say this. Are you planning on taking out the entire herd?

-----------------------
*DarkDragoons*
+ Advance Recon Commandos {ARC} +
TRP/ASL/SGT Rema/2SQD/1PLT/1COM/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE [LoR][OPE] [AM-B][AM-S][AM-P][IH][SoA][CDS]
"Only Trust your Allies as much as you can Predict your Enemies."
"Do you expect me to talk?" "No Mr. Bond, i expect you to die."
"Luke, I am your Fasha."
Zafo
ComNet Initiate

[VE-ARMY] Lance Corporal

Post Number:  115
Total Posts:  765
August 17, 2004 10:11:44 PM    View the profile of Zafo 
Cloning...Not Good...Think

If cloning got to the point where liing human beings could be exactly recreated the entire world would be screwed. This world is full of crazy power-hungry people, at least one of which would attempt to create an army of these clones to take over some part of the world. This person wouldn't care how many clones he lost, since he could just make new ones, its basically a suicide bomber making device only worse. Once a country got attacked by clones, it would start making its own clones, resulting in an endless war. Troops would never get depleted. They would go on destroying and killing until they were killed. Once they were killed, it really wouldnt matter because another one would be made. Thats only one of countless reasons cloning shouldn't go down.
Cloning=Destruction of World

-----------------------
~ZaFo
*DarkDragoons*
TRP/LCPL ZaFo/DD/2PLT/1COM/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE
Rema
ComNet Member

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant

August 17, 2004 10:35:43 PM    View the profile of Rema 
/me shrugs

The end of the world will come eventually. Why not have it come with a uber war with clones.

-----------------------
*DarkDragoons*
TRP/ASL/SGT Rema/2SQD/1PLT/1COM/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE [LoR][OPE] [AM-B][AM-S][AM-P][IH][SoA][CDS]
"Luke, I am your Fasha."
Kuroishi
ComNet Member

August 18, 2004 7:50:25 AM    View the profile of Kuroishi 
That kind of assumes we also develop the neccessary technology to geneticly engineer out a few traits that come from a sample being taken from a fully developed specimen, we also learn how to artificialy accelerate growth in humans in a feasable manner, and that cloning will be dirt cheap.

Currently none of the above is the case.

As to my political stacne I guess I'm left wing technicly, sort of.

While I am a realistic pacifist I can see times and situations where force will do a great deal to solve problems.  It just has to be properly applied.

I don't like Kerry because he waffled too much in the begining and doesn't talk about how he's going to solve problems as I'd like.

I don't like Bush because I get a distinct feeling that he's either exceptionaly inteligent and pulling one over on us by coming across as an idiot or there is a power behind the throne so to speak.  I also have the distinct feeling I'm being lead around by the nose by the Bush administration.  My friends seem to have fallen for it, I have not.

So where does that leave my vote for President?  With Fury.  Wait ten years then I'll be elligable.  Then we'll see some real messed up stuff happen.

-----------------------
Kuroishi Wraith VEA
Daishi Raptor VEN
"And the sound of many heads hitting many solid objects was heard throughout the land." me
Anubis
ComNet Novice

[VE-ARMY] Corporal

August 18, 2004 6:20:06 PM    View the profile of Anubis 
Actually one of the above is somewhat true.  I read somewhere that we've doubled the growth rate in catfish, give some time and govt support and it'll happen in humans too.

Now of course I believe in the whole background check and everything like that, we don't need murderers to get guns, but when it comes to AK-47s and weapons like that we need them.  And what do you think a draft is anyway, it is just a bunch of civilians with guns shooting at whatever they think is an enemy.

A draft will never work, if people are forced to go to war, they won't do it with their heart, but should their homeland be invaded, and should they like their homeland, then they'd reasonably rise up to fight the invaders.

And believe me, the US will be invaded, it is inevitable.  I'm sure the Roman Empire never thought they'd be invaded, but they were.  That's another thing, the US is meant to become an empire.  After 200 years, Rome became an Empire, so the US is right on time for becoming an Empire.

-----------------------
Wraith Squad
Vast Empire Army
Kuroishi
ComNet Member

August 19, 2004 7:44:52 AM    View the profile of Kuroishi 
Actually the Rome Analogy is better then I suspected at first.

We're a nearly unstopable military behemoth in conventional warfare but start throwing guerilla warfare at us and we start to look like less then professional.

Currently there is no one capable of invading us except for Canada and Mexico.  Canada we don't much have to worry about after we take thier leaders on a drunken troll looking for dancing girls and offer them low low prices on american firearms.  Mexico, well they seem intent on economic warfare instead of conventional military warfare.

-----------------------
Kuroishi Wraith VEA
Daishi Raptor VEN
Rema
ComNet Member

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant

August 19, 2004 10:35:42 AM    View the profile of Rema 
No civilian in the United States needs an AK-47. NO one.

The draft is not just saying "here you are have a gun, go here and shoot people". The draft takes people and trains them to be soldiers. Trains them not to be idiots with guns. They are soldiers who follow orders and keep peace, not gun toting mobs.

And the draft does work. It works in two ways. If there is a legitimate reason to go to war and to be fighting then the draft supplies soldiers and it supplies a way for the common person to help his country. This is what happened in WW2. The United States was attacked without notice and that made people mad. People were drafted to fight against an evil that plagued the world. The second way it works if there is NOT a good reason to be going to war the draft can make people angry about being drafted. This is sorta what happened with the Vietnam War.

Finally, the United States will never get invaded. Unless
Mexico starts putting 100% of their effort into making the unstoppable Mexican war machine I highly doubt they will be invaded. The thought of Canada invading the United States is laughable. You must consider that in order to invade a country you need a place to attack it from. Somewhere close by to attack it from to be exact. So unless the armies of the world can secretly move millions of soldiers, tanks, planes, ships and supplies to Mexico or Canada I HIGHLY doubt we will be invaded. Thats one of the reasons why the United States has lasted without trouble from other nations. They cant get to us! Our biggest threats are nuclear weapons and terrorist attacks. The United States will never be invaded. Thats final.

The United States will never become an empire. People like their freedom of speech to much. No one in this country could ever gain enough power to overthrow our government and make it a dictatorship. Even elected officials can never become dictators because we would all revolt. Soldiers are loyal to their commander and chief, but not that damn loyal. The difference between other countries and the US is that the common people voice their opinion more. So if some guy (or gal) tried to take over the country either with a military coup, or changing us to a dictatorship the people would be in an uproar. That simple. The United States will never become an empire. While we flirt with imperial ideas and actions, it will never erupt into a full-blown empire. We are more of a cultural Empire than a bloody military empire.

-----------------------
*DarkDragoons*
"Luke, I am your Fasha."
Mind On My Money
ComNet n00b

Post Number:  2
Total Posts:  2
August 19, 2004 11:27:55 AM    View the profile of Mind On My Money 
K-
"I don't like Bush because I get a distinct feeling that he's either exceptionaly inteligent and pulling one over on us by coming across as an idiot or there is a power behind the throne so to speak.  I also have the distinct feeling I'm being lead around by the nose by the Bush administration.  My friends seem to have fallen for it, I have not."

They are all polititians. They all try to manipullate the opinions of the masses to their favor. We have not 'fallen for it' as you said nor are we being 'led around by the nose'.

You are trying to insinuate that anyone who disagrees with you is ignorant of hte ways of the world.

Cheap. Shot. Artist. Wanna-be.

Tell me EXACTLY were Kerry stands on the war on Terrorism, abortion or economic policy would you? What you call waffling I can pandering.

Anubis
ComNet Novice

[VE-ARMY] Corporal

August 19, 2004 3:34:07 PM    View the profile of Anubis 
Why does everyone continue to insist that it is either Mexico or Canada that will invade us.  Russia, while it is no longer a Communist power, could be a threat again because of their sheer size.

Then there's China, if they built a massive fleet, they could easily pose a massive threat because of the size of their army.  And if they were to work with the North Koreans, they would have the largest if not the most powerful army in the world.

Currently, our army measures only half a million if even that.  And the draft would be too late were we to be invaded.  If we were to be invaded by land by Canada or Mexico, then we may likely see it, or at least the military build-up.

We've seen China's military build-up, and they have the nukes to be a threat.  Should Kim Jong Il die, it is very much a possibility that North Korea and its million man army could come under its control.

A navy is very hard to spot, even with satellites because we don't know where to look.  We would need a massive number of satellites to comb throughout the ocean searching for the fleet, but that is almost technically impossible and currently completely technologically impossible.

We are in danger people, you must understand that, less you be caught off guard and we lose much of which we hold dear.

Now on to the empire talk, we are already on our way towards becoming an Empire.  While at the moment, the Patriot Act's uses are only for possible terrorists, but what is to define a terrorist.  Once someone power hungry enough comes into office, they can begin using things like the Patriot Act to slowly arrest those that are threats.

Remember that Germany had a Republic between the period of WWI and Hitler's rise to power.  Once something bad enough happens, we will give dictatoral power to or president, then the president will use it to start the American Empire.

-----------------------
Wraith Squad
Vast Empire Army
Rema
ComNet Member

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant

August 19, 2004 4:15:27 PM    View the profile of Rema 
You're right, its hard to find things on the ocean. You seem to forget though a little thing called radar. Also, I think people would notice if China started building a giant fleet. The mass buildup of soldiers and putting them on boats would be NOTICED. You cant do huge things and not have them be noticed by people. The United States does not get all of it's intelligence from spy satellites. We have people on the ground. There is no way someone could build up an army, and get it over to the United States via water or land without the United States finding out.

China doesnt like North Korea. North Korea poses a THREAT to China. When Kim Jong Il eventually dies, some other person in North Korea (either a family member or a military commander) will take over the country. When he dies its not like they are going to go "oh well, North Korea had a nice run. We should all move to china now."

Yes we are in danger to a certain extent, but NOT from being invaded. We should fear more from terrorists and WMD than the Chinese making a huge military move.

There is one huge difference between Germany of WWII and the United States. The Nazi party was the largest party in the country. They had thousands of supporters and effectively controlled the country. Germany was also suffering from a huge economic slump, and horrible sanctions put on them from WWI. The United States is too divided for one party to take over. In case you dont remember, the United States is built on a checks and balances system. If a president started imprisoning large amounts of people, it would be stopped. If not by a government committee, than from the people of the country. You do have a point though. The Patriot Act is a horrible thing. It takes away the rights of the citizens and gives too much power to the government. It has the potential to help people do corrupt and bad things. But it can never be used for someone to take over the country. The power hungry person would never get enough support.

I think someone needs to get out of the star wars universe and think in real life. The citizen's of the United States arent going to give the president "emergency powers". If something bad happens we will do what we always do. Go to war. Remember the president is commander and chief of the military. He doesnt need special powers to run the army. So thus we wont give him dictatorial powers. Stop thinking a Palpatine will happen in real life.

-----------------------
*DarkDragoons*
"Luke, I am your Fasha."
Kuroishi
ComNet Member

August 19, 2004 5:34:31 PM    View the profile of Kuroishi 
1:  Who ever said dictator ship and imperialism ABSOLUTELY MUST GO HAND IN HAD should be shot.

Mind on My Money, consider this for a moment, I do agree that rogue nations do once in a while need to be taught a lesson by force because otherwise they just will not listen.  I disagree with the decision to go after Iraq when Bush Jr did.  We were not finished in Afghanastan, still are not finished in Afghanastan, and will not be finished in Afghanastan for many more years.  Only a fool fights wars on multiple fronts.

The decision to attack Iraq at the time it was attacked stank of political power game to me, not some altruistic 'we must depose the dictator and find the illegal weapons' action like Bush Jr would like us to believe.  Indeed those are worthwhile goals and should have been under taken at the proper time, but it was not the proper time.  Don't get me wrong I'm glad Saddam is gone but I wonder how many people are now just paying lip service to us just to make us scrutinize them less?

Waffling is pretty much the same term with a slightly different conotation to pandering.  So I believe we're on the same page of different dictionaries on that one.

Perhaps that clears up my stance a bit.

-----------------------
Kuroishi Wraith VEA
Daishi Raptor VEN
Anubis
ComNet Novice

[VE-ARMY] Corporal

August 19, 2004 7:54:41 PM    View the profile of Anubis 
Rema, you fail to see how the Patriot Act was passed, along with a number of other things after 9/11.  We see now how horrible the Patriot Act is, but at the time we didn't care, and almost everyone put their full support behind Bush

/me shudders

We've done it in the past too, giving the President much more power than our Checks and Balances probably allow.  I can name two examples, one was during the civil war with Lincoln, the other was during WWII with Roosevelt.

Fear can change people's minds greatly, to the point where they don't think straight.  The Patriot Act could have never had been passed w/o September 11th even if we had completely provable evidence we were going to be hit.

Much of the same happened with the war in Iraq, we still were afraid, and so agreed with whatever, but now that the fear is subsiding and we are normalizing, we are seeing the mistakes we and our Government have made.

And also remember that should two people have a common enemy, they will become friends, if only temporarily.  Look at Osama Bin Laden and Saddam, bitter enemies by different factions of the Islamic Faith and other things, but when the US was going to invade Iraq, Osama asked for Muslims to defend Iraq.  The same wouldn't have happened if it was Iran invading Iraq.

While they are not on the best of terms, North Korea and China are both Communist states that despise the US for their own reasons.  And should they work out their differences, they could easily come to take a large portion of Asia.

And remember that people intel isn't that great *cough*WarInIraq*cough.*  We were wrong there, and while I do believe there were WMDs, I know for a fact that they weren't going to be out in the open or anything like that for us to find.  In fact, it may be decades before we find concrete evidence of capable WMDs in Iraq.

I have only one thing to say, never underestimate the power of our enemies or that of those within our own government.  Don't let fear control you, lest you wish to allow more terrible things than the Patriot Act to rise and further control our lives.

-----------------------
Wraith Squad
Vast Empire Army
Sniping101
ComNet Veteran

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant

Post Number:  1361
Total Posts:  3940
August 19, 2004 8:25:57 PM    View the profile of Sniping101 
look for all we the people know 9/11 could have been a clever scheme bythe buch admisistaration or somebody with vested intrests in passing the patriot act, or moving into iraq or afgananstan, or many of the numerous things that came to pass after that day, we ohnly have the governments word for that and the governement is a lieing pile of shit. anyway, as for guns, people need guns, part of the reason for the 2nd amendment was so that the people could revolt when the governtment strayed from its intended purpose very far, as jefferson said here, i about the second amendment and the owning of guns:

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms..disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." - Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria, Criminologist in 1764. That was 230 years ago. -Thomas Jefferson

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.-Thomas Jefferson

When, in the course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth the separate and equal station to which the laws of nature and of nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation. We hold these truths to be self-evident; that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their creator with certain inalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness; that to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed; that whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles, and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness.-Thomas Jefferson

i dont put these up as a fan opf jefferson, but simply he has some good points

Now also i live in the rural northwest, i dont need to hunt i have goddamn bears in my front yard at twelve in the morning, one of those breaks in (its happened before) i want something that wont let it get back up, like a .44 magnum(that happens to be out house hold gun) or an AK-47(im gonna get one as soon as i can scrape up $400) or a 12 gauge, also guns work well to scare off burglars, very well in fact, i know that from personal experiance.

also part of the idea of everybody owning a gun is that thier all taught to truly fear it properly and how to use one, thats the way it works up here, where most people own atleast one gun, normaly more.

also in the event of an invasion a draft would be nearly impossible and impracticale, most of our attacke4d area in chaos, whoever says america will never be attacked is not only an idiot but a downright fool, all empires fell in thier time, places that seemed undefeateable, i've been using that rome analogy for along time, and i think its a pretty comenly accepted one, they where undefeatable, they pushed everyone around and basicaly believed they ruled the world, untill they died out, albeit they never truly where defeated, they just kind of whithered away.
-----------------------
The Comnet Hermit
-Raider Squad
-
TRP/SGT Sniping101/CrazyRAIDERS/1PLT/1COM/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE [LoR][IH][BoA]
"A spanking new Athlon reduced to a Gameboy Emulator"- Gabe from Penny Arcade.
"As long as their is Space, Im going to stare off into it"-Garfield
I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle, here is my spout. When I see an ARC all short and stout, BOOM!  He flies through the hall and out. -anonymous
[This message has been edited by Sniping101 (edited August 19, 2004 8:36:42 PM)]
Kuroishi
ComNet Member

August 19, 2004 10:11:25 PM    View the profile of Kuroishi 
Our founding fathers believe in well educated and well armed voters interested in asserting thier inaliable rights if the government ever stepped over the line.

Over the years the voters have become complaicant and apathetic, making them easily influenced.

Now adays I would be affraid to go near many cities if such high powered weaponry was really so readily available because there are far too many people who do not fear and respect fire arms in the way neccessary to not just go out and kill people for the hell of it.  Where I'm at it's not too much of a problem so I'm not too worried.  Hell there are cops that would love for a firing range to come into where I live.

A damned if you do, damned if you don't situation really.  How do you make sure there are enough weapons in the right hands without too many falling into the hands of criminals?

I myself would love to be able to afford a gun right now but alas I cannot.

-----------------------
Kuroishi Wraith VEA
Daishi Raptor VEN
Anubis
ComNet Novice

[VE-ARMY] Corporal

August 20, 2004 2:01:20 PM    View the profile of Anubis 
While you've seen me support firearms many times, I truly would never buy one unless I found it absolutely necessary.  I find firearms to be a dishonorable weapon, I'd much rather use a sword, mace, or my own fists.

If you kill someone who has a gun with your bare hands, then it is a show of your great strength.  But in today's society, that becomes more unlikely, so I'm probably sure once I become older, I may get a gun.

And looking at the people today, I find that their lack of understanding for the government as well as some other factors of ignorance will make it all the more likely for a dictatoral empire to rise up in place of our democratic republic.  Some people I've spoken to have talked about liking a dictatorship because they wouldn't have to vote, seriously.

There is no doubt that we are an empire in terms of size and power, and it is very likely to become one government wise in the next one-hundred years.

-----------------------
Wraith Squad
Vast Empire Army
Rema
ComNet Member

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant

August 20, 2004 4:04:54 PM    View the profile of Rema 
Stop with the empire stuff. It's never going to happen.

I dont remember Lincoln getting any special powers. It could be they are escaping me at the moment so please enlighten me. With WWII he was given an extended time in office because the people liked him and liked how he was handling WWII. Think of him as a George Washington of modern times.

Bush is an idiot first and foremost. Yet after 9/11 he actually did things that made sense and were good. The people of the United States supported Afghanistan because we were going after the people that attacked us. Iraq was different. People were already going back to their normal lives when bozo decided to go into Iraq. Congress had they heads up their asses (Not that that is something new) and allowed him to go in for totally idiotic reasons. I highly doubt there were WMD in Iraq. I just think that Bush wanted another war, oil, to finish what his father couldnt, surround china, whatever and he was going to do whatever he could to do it. Thats why there was so much trouble before going into Iraq. Bush made false claims about WMD in Iraq in order to invade and now people are beginning to see that.

Hopefully if shrub can get voted out, Kerry can work on eliminated the Patriot Act or limiting its powers. The Patriot act is bad, but it can only be used to go so far.

China and North Korea will not work out their differences.

GAH! The United States is not an EMPIRE. It will not fall like one! It is EXTREMELY EXTREMELY unlikely that the United States will ever get  invaded by the land or the sea. One: you cant move millions of soldiers and supplies to a landmass near the US WITHOUT alerting the US. Two: you cant move millions of soldiers and supplies on ships to attack the US WITHOUT alerting the US. That simple folks.

Some people I've spoken to have talked about liking a dictatorship because they wouldn't have to vote, seriously. Get these people deported to a nice 3rd world country. Lets see how long they last until they beg to come home and vote. The fact that those morons support a dictatorship because they dont have to vote is ridiculous. For one they dont have to vote. Secondly, if they are to bloody lazy to think and cast their damn vote, then they should be deported to a nice 3rd world country.

Hunting rifles, shotguns, handguns=ok weapons for normal civilians to use. Grenades, AK-47, M-16 and any other explosive and automatic weapon is NOT good for civilians to use. Shotguns, and hunting rifles will do the trick with animals. Aim for the head with rifle, and you dont have to aim with the shotgun just pull the trigger in the general direction of the target. There is no reason to pepper an animal with 30 bullets from a high-powered assault rifle. Thats like going fishing with a bazooka or TNT. The common civilian in the United States does not need a gun. Thats what we have police for. They are trained professionals who's soul job is to protect us. Now im not sure if this is real or from a TV show but it still applies. Guy comes into a church with a gun to shoot people. Another person who was just attending the mass has a concealed weapon. The second guy pulls out his gun shooting the original gunman. In the process he kills a little girl with a stray bullet. Now as i said i cant remember if thats real or not but it shows that guns in normal peoples hands are bad. No one needs high powered, automatic weapons. No one. There is NO logical use for an AK-47. Im sure if the United States was invaded and humans grew wings we would have enough weapons to supply people that would enter the draft.

-----------------------
*DarkDragoons*
"Luke, I am your Fasha."
Argon Viper
ComNet Expert

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-VEEC] Senior Writer

August 20, 2004 4:28:10 PM    View the profile of Argon Viper 
Wow, lots of stuff got covered since last time I was on, it's freakin' awesome! 

Let's see, where to start...  Ah, the draft.

Personally, I think an invasion of the US is possible, but unlikely.  However, if it were to happen by an enemy of sufficient strength, our military would still stop them at a certain point at which we would start drafting people and sending them to the front.

I predict that we could hold all the major port cities (on both coasts), but not the whole city.  Battle lines would probably be drawn in the middle of San Francisco and such, the invader would probably take the port, and I'm pretty sure we could hold the bay.

The countryside we'd certainly lose, our precision weapons are only good to the point where there are a limited amount of enemies, and anyone daring to invade us probably isn't that limited.

Personally, I'd put bets on massive casualties on both sides (in excess of 50 million total), but I think the United States would eventually prevail, if for no other reason than the intensely nationalist feelings we have with regards to our own soil 

Let's see...  Ah yes, presidential powers during times of war.

Rema, here's what Anubis was talking about:  During the Civil War, Lincoln revoked the right of Habeus Corpus (innocent until proven guilty, right to a fair trial, etc.) and imprisoned hundreds of journalists who disagreed with him.  During WWII, FDR rounded up millions of Japanese-Americans on the west coast and had them shoved into concentration camps only rivalled throughout history by the Nazi concetration camps.

As for the US becoming an Empire, "empire" is defined as "A political unit having an extensive territory or comprising a number of territories or nations and ruled by a single supreme authority".  By that standard, we're already an empire 

However, I do believe that, while we're not trending toward the imperialist part of empire (the rest of the world would nuke us first...), we are trending toward the other behaviors of such.

The Patriot Act, I believe, parallels the "emergency powers" given to Palpatine.  It's a thin parallel, being that the Patriot Act is a good deal weaker, but I think it's accurate one.  Basically it falls along the line of giving the government more power over us because we are scared of an outside force.

The only main difference is that Bush didn't actively manufacture his outside force (as far as we can tell).

Anyways, that's my stuff so far, let me know if I missed anything.

-----------------------
Argon Viper
IW COL Argon Viper{ret}
Rema
ComNet Member

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant

August 20, 2004 6:13:25 PM    View the profile of Rema 
Ah i knew i was forgetting the Habeus Corpus. True with the Japanese camps, but that wasnt just FDR. The majority of the population didnt trust them.

-----------------------
*DarkDragoons*
"Luke, I am your Fasha."
Shazam
ComNet Member

[VE-NAVY] Petty Officer 2nd Class (PO2)

Post Number:  650
Total Posts:  4197
August 21, 2004 7:55:49 AM    View the profile of Shazam 
It only took you guys a page to revert back to WW2?  Good lord.  I thought you'd be talking about designer clothes by now...

-----------------------
*Flash Was Here...*
My Real Bebop: (=A=)
Argon Viper
ComNet Expert

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-VEEC] Senior Writer

August 21, 2004 1:02:04 PM    View the profile of Argon Viper 
Sorry Shazam, we're pretty focused on politics here, and the best lessons in politics come from history.  However, I can go back to World War I to find examples of presidential power expanding, Woodrow Wilson used it as an excuse to remove blacks from power in pretty much any political office.  He also used it as an excuse to push through legislation that almost destroyed the union systems, and led to wars on the home front between police and labor.

The way I see it, the best way for a president to grab more power for himself is to start a war, or get involved in one already taking place.  For some reason, everyone seems to shut up and support him then, no matter how appalling his policies are...

-----------------------
Argon Viper
IW COL Argon Viper{ret}
ComNet > Neutral Messages > Archived Main ComNet > Before you make any "political" statements...  |  New Posts    
  Pages:  [ << 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 >> ]   

All times are CST. The time now is 11:21:40 AM
Comnet Jump:

Current Online Members - 0  |  Guests - 68  |  Bots - 0

< Contact Us - The Vast Empire >