Communications Network
Vast Empire  -  New Posts  -  Search  -  Statistics  -  Login 

ComNet > Neutral Messages > Archived Main ComNet > Before you make any "political" statements...

Pages:  [ << 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 >> ]   
Author
Topic:  Before you make any "political" statements...
Argon Viper
ComNet Expert

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-VEEC] Senior Writer

Post Number:  1789
Total Posts:  1789
  RE: Before you make any "political" statements...
May 9, 2004 6:43:49 PM    View the profile of Argon Viper 
The pink elephant has a point (sorry, couldn't resist  ), fear is the primary instinct that triggers a violent response.  Think about it, if you reason it out and you can see the ups and downs of things, violence only ends up hurting you in the end.  It's only when you feel you're backed into a corner (or if you're brought up that way, which I'll get into later if someone wants to hear it...) that you strike out.  Check out nature documentaries sometime, the rattlesnake really doesn't want to bite you.

Rema and Kuroishi also have some pretty good points.  First off, Rema's point about oxymorons, being powerful yet scared really doesn't make sense, either we know we're powerful and we act confidently and benignly to preserve that power, or we're just scared and lashing out at anyone who appears to threaten us.

Kuroishi actually made the best points as far as I can see, especially his rules of war.  I am personally against the Iraq war, it is possibly the dumbest thing we've done in our 228 year history.  However, I am absolutely and completely against our pulling out.  I don't support the methods we're using there (especially this new torture thing that came out), but we do need to stay there at least until we can get elections taken care of, even if they don't go in our favor.

Also, another point that came up (I think it was from Rema) was that all the great empires in history fell apart at the time of their greatest military spending.  Don't believe it?  Look it up.  Empire rise on prosperity, not military force.  Sure, Rome conquered other nations, but they could never have held them without roads, without aqueducts, without sewage.  Another point is that I have never heard of a nation that has pulled itself out of this slump, and I'm seeing more and more chance of us joining them.

-----------------------
Argon Viper
Sergeant Major/Senior Writer, VE Today
IW COL Argon Viper{ret}
Fallen Angel and Proud of It!
"History is on the move, those who cannot keep up will watch from a distance, and those who get in our way will not watch at all" - Grand Admiral Thrawn
"Condemnation does not liberate, it oppresses" - Carl G Jung
Kuroishi
ComNet Member

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant First Class

Post Number:  589
Total Posts:  948
May 9, 2004 10:47:42 PM    View the profile of Kuroishi 
I severly doubt that if actually invaded in a serious way that every person capable of resisting would rise up with arms, we got our own nut jobs without having to worry about terrorist cells.

That's right there are americans that hate the way america is and would take advantage of such a situation.  Should we fear being invaded?

Short answer: HELL NO!

To a degree yes a military even if conventional is a neccessary evil because there are far too many people who are not pacifists and unfortunately they seem to hold public office for the most part.

Then we have the fanatics, it doesn't matter what they believe but those are the most dangerous kind.

The torture thing I am not suprised about.

Americans have long had a great lack of social responsibility in the view of other nations but only now has it become front page news.

Words are not always enough and there are enough nations in this world willing to ignore sanctions for trade with other nations that it's pretty much a joke.

America wants to mak the world in it's image, want proof open up a text book on history or look at what we are trying to do in Iraq.

I think it would have taken more then just America joining the League of Nations to stop WW2, after all they did try and stop Japan by taking away the oil they were getting from America and it only got us attacked.  Maybe America doing something more to stop Germany would have helped but i doubt it, after all the world was in a major economic depression and barely out of it when WW2 started, Germany was better off because they were willing to use scapegoats and propaganda in a way that most civilized and educated people would not.

"Hindsight is 20/20."-Can't remember who but it seems appropriate

-----------------------
Kuroishi Wraith VEA
Daishi Raptor VEN
Assistant Writer Why Project Copyright Infringment
Ich bin hessliche amerikaner.
Nehmen mir zu dein frauen von vernunftig preis tugendhafte.
"And the sound of many heads hitting many solid objects was heard throughout the land." me
chipmunk man
ComNet Member

[VE-NAVY] Petty Officer 2nd Class (PO2)

Post Number:  930
Total Posts:  2064
May 10, 2004 6:44:22 AM    View the profile of chipmunk man 
Hmm, where to begin? I think I'll start with Japan and Pearl.

The Japanese attacked because they believed that war with the United States was inevitable anyway. Yes, the oil embargo was a factor. But remember that the U.S. promised to end the embargo if Japan would stop invading other countries in the Pacific. We specifically told them that we did not want to go to war, and that we would be happy to lift the embargo if they would only stop invading their neighbors. Yes, Japan's allegiance to Germany was a factor. So were countless other things. But the main factor was that the Japanese believed that they would have to invade America eventually anyhow in order to accomplish their little "grand plan" or some such thing. So they decided to use the peace talks as a front while manuevering in for a crippling ambush. We only went to war with Germany after they declared war on us.

-----------------------
(hits golf ball through the stargate) "So, how far away is Edura?"
"Several million light years, O'Niel."
"That's gotta be a record." (gets ready to swing golf club)
"Colonel O'Niel, what in God's name do you think you're doing?!"
"IN THE MIDDLE OF MY BACKSWING?!"

"People like you are the reason people like me take medication."  -Cool T-shirt
Kuroishi
ComNet Member

May 10, 2004 8:36:02 AM    View the profile of Kuroishi 
That all depends on what you watch and what you read.

The book I found at the library has been checked out so even finding it's name right now is a might bit difficult, but according to that book the main factors that Japan ever did attack America was because Germany put them up to it and the oil embargo.

Japan knew they couldn't win a long term war and they hoped Pearl would bring us to the peace tables.

If Japan had just invaded the Philipines and our other outposts in the south west pacific without declaring war on America itself I don't know how we would have responded.  The best theory I can come up with is without something like Pearl Harbor, basicly  an attack that only a few people were willing to admit could happen, and on something so close to home I doubt we would have had the same reaction.

Anothe thing we can't forget is that the Germans were planning to start World War 2 in 1946.  No one is sure why they didn't commence with thier plan but it seems that it was a good thing they didn't.  With how hard of a time we had against them, try imagining it with seven more years to prepare.

Both Germany and Japan were disregarding the Washington Treaty on limiting naval power.  Germany tossed out the treaty of Versi(sp?) and no one that could stop them did.

My old manager at Pokey Jo's told me that he read Stalin's journal once and found some interesting things in it.  Stalin was hoping that Europe would just grind itself down to a point that if he could keep Russia out of the war long enough he could just swoop in and take over.

Also there was a lot of propaganda going on then.

9/11 had a worse death toll and was something only a few people were willing to admit could happen but since we don't have an easy to identify nemesis no one has gone through with rattling the right sabers to turn America into a real rampaging military machine.

We have had our moments of fanatiscism but I do not think America is currently a nation of fanatics.

Sure Saddam needed to be deposed and a lot of the Baath party needed to be gotten rid of too but it seems a poor excuse to invade Iraq when we could have just called the Isrialies and they could have accomplished the same thing with no invasion, a lot fewer losses, and a lot less political upheaval.

"History is kept in only two places: books and our minds.  Both are easily altered."-Can't remember if that's an original quote from a class mate or from someone more famous.

-----------------------
Kuroishi Wraith VEA
Daishi Raptor VEN
"And the sound of many heads hitting many solid objects was heard throughout the land." me
Rema
ComNet Member

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant

Post Number:  858
Total Posts:  1056
May 10, 2004 11:57:53 AM    View the profile of Rema 
The fact is, if the Allies would not have been so hard on the Germans after WWI, the Nazi party would most likely not have gotten so much power, Hitler would have never gained control of the country, and we could have avoided WW2. The Japanese: our embargo on them, with the Germans pressing them, forced them to make the attack on the United States. If there was no oil embargo, chances are the Japanese would have not attacked, or attacked at a later date. The United States wouldnt have entered WWII, and everyone in Europe might be speaking German.

-----------------------
+ Advance Recon Commandos {ARC} +
"Only Trust your Allies as much as you can Predict your Enemies."
"Do you expect me to talk?" "No Mr. Bond, i expect you to die."
"Luke, I am your Fasha."
To Nom Anor, a truly superior Yuuzhan Vong.
TRP/ASL/CPL Rema/2SQD/1PLT/1COM/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE [LoR][OPE] [AM-B][AM-S][AM-P][IH][SoA]
Argon Viper
ComNet Expert

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-VEEC] Senior Writer

May 10, 2004 8:07:29 PM    View the profile of Argon Viper 
A few good points in this so far.  First off, I agree that if Germany had waited till 1946 to start the war, they would definitely have won.  Also, the Japanese strike was intended to get the US to the peace tables, they needed our oil, and the fact that we didn't surrender forced them to rely on a rather unsure supply in Manchuria.  They would much rather have just gotten a treaty and continued ruling the far east.

As for today, have people forgotten that the reason given to invade Iraq was the WMD (Weapons of Mass Destruction)?  No matter the outcome today, that was the reason given, and we should know why it turned out to be a big load.  Seriously, if the President is making his decisions today based on information of the same quality, what kind of straights are we in?

Oh and Dai, it was the Treaty of Versailles, named after the palace of the French kings (probably the most opulent palace the world has ever seen), about 16 miles outside Paris, where the treaty itself was signed 

-----------------------
Argon Viper
IW COL Argon Viper{ret}
"History is on the move, those who cannot keep up will watch from a distance, and those who get in our way will not watch at all" - Grand Admiral Thrawn
JMac
ComNet Veteran

[VE-DJO] Dark Jedi Knight (DJK)
[VE-NAVY] Lt. Commander (LCM)

Post Number:  1029
Total Posts:  1216
May 11, 2004 6:04:11 AM    View the profile of JMac 
I definitely agree with the need for the CIA to get a complete overhaul.  It has been destroyed over the past 10 years or so.  That being said, I'm still not convinced that the WMDs weren't there, that is a big country where it is easy to hide things, and its neighbors aren't friendly towards us.  Also, they were indisputably trying to get them.

Also, how can you call the torture thing a policy.  It was nothing of the kind.  It was a few sickoes abusing their positions and power, not at all representative of the other 130,000 soldiers we have over there.  They were found out in January, and were being investigated and brought up on charges.  The press was also told in January.  The release of the pictures, however, made it too good a sensation to pass up publishing it and making a big issue.

Yeah, fear does make people lash out, but there is a much bigger motivator, hate and religion.

Do you really think that we could have had the Israelis take out Saddam?  They are already hated by pretty much the whole world, the UN certainly doesn't care for them.  The international community went nuts when they took out the leader of a terrorist group that publically said that he wanted to make the streets red with Israeli blood.  What do you think would have happened if they had made a hit on Saddam.

It isn't fear that makes us keep a large army, it is common sense.  You don't go out and buy a gun after someone shoots you, you get the gun in case someone else goes ofter you. 

-----------------------
LCM_ JMac/(=A=)(=SA=)(=MA)(=FOCE=)(MC1)(VC)

Viva el gato mojado!!!!

As a great man once said, here, is where you are.
Shazam
ComNet Member

Post Number:  650
Total Posts:  4197
May 11, 2004 9:36:29 AM    View the profile of Shazam 
    Actually...  WW2 wouldn't have ever been brought to us if we'd done something about it...  Hitler was just looking for a reason to stop invading countries.  In fact, in his own personal writing, Hitler says that he was only trying to see how much he could gain before he was shut-down.  All the League of Nations would of had to do was make him stop...  But they kept telling him that he could have that much land and no more...  Basically, if your going to be upset with anyone, be upset with the League of Nations,(now known as the United Nations), because they didn't stop Germany right away...
    That's the main fact I know about that bit...

-----------------------
*Flash Was Here...*
My Real Bebop: (=A=)
Raziel
ComNet Member

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major

Post Number:  864
Total Posts:  2873
May 11, 2004 10:53:01 AM    View the profile of Raziel 
"It isn't fear that makes us keep a large army, it is common sense.  You don't go out and buy a gun after someone shoots you, you get the gun in case someone else goes ofter you."

This sums up, in my opinion, what is wrong with the world.

-----------------------
PC:A/SGMTRaziel/4SQD/1COMP/1BAT/1RGT/Tadath/VEA/ {EW1} {WoS} {VP} {IG} {CDS} {BoA}
Assistant Squad Leader - Squad4 Wraiths
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989.
Daishi
ComNet Cadet

[VE-NAVY] Rear Admiral (RAD)
[VE-VEHC] El Presidente*

Post Number:  214
Total Posts:  243
May 11, 2004 1:16:24 PM    View the profile of Daishi 
I actually don't know if Germany would have won if they started in 1946 and another thing that I have read about in the past is how close America actually came to joining the Germans in WW2 rather than the allies.

We didn't so it's a supressed fact of our history.

By 1946 the depresion would have been far enough into the past that the world may have actually been able to do something about stopping Germany.

Fanatasicsm, fear, greed, and desperation are the greatest causes of violence.

Which is the most common is hard to say.

Fanatasicsm covers religion, manifest destiny, basicly anything that people beleive in so absolutely that they are willing to kill for it.

Fear.  People will do a lot of things that they normally wouldn't when affraid.

Greed.  Now this one is harder to draw clear examples of because of the other categories.

Desperation.  A desperate people will do desperate things.  This is most unclear of motivators but it happens.

Hopefully this will shed some light on a few things.

-----------------------
RA(U) Daishi COSOS
"If we had all knowladge then why would we seek what we already know and if we had no knowladge then how could we even ask the question?"  Plato
"Indeceant exposure is fun." Sonatina
"There are at least three sides to any situation." Me

Shazam
ComNet Member

Post Number:  650
Total Posts:  4197
May 11, 2004 3:01:19 PM    View the profile of Shazam 
    I just so happen to know alot about fear...  I've read about it, learned from both books and experience, and I beleive I have a vague understanding of it.  My brother once told me, about track meets that is, that he would want nothing better than to be nervous or afraid before a run.  Any ideas why?  Yes... 
    When you are afraid, you body automatically starts some things into motion.  The adreniline begins to create itself and push itself into the bloodstream...  From there it forces more chemicals into the heart in order for it to work faster.  Fear is basically the pre-emptive defense.  In all understanding, fear is more than we think it is.  It is not a weakness in many cases...

-----------------------
*Flash Was Here...*
My Real Bebop: (=A=)
Argon Viper
ComNet Expert

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-VEEC] Senior Writer

May 13, 2004 8:22:38 AM    View the profile of Argon Viper 
Biologically, yes, fear is a very useful thing.  However, it was never meant for group situations, or to be used for a very long time.  In a related note, has anyone noticed how much the current administration is using fear to try to press it's points?

First, after 9/11, I think it should have been obvious.  "Terrorists can strike anywhere at any time", but at the same time "we should not change our lifestyle or way of life in any way".  This pretty much led to a direct attack on Afghanistan, which I can't say for sure whether or not it was a defensive or offensive action.

Then, during the run up to Iraq, they used it again.  Trust me, I've looked into the evidence the administration had, if you put it together there was nothing to make you think Iraq has weapons of mass destruction.  However, when they presented "certain parts" of it, and their own interpretation, they were able to create the fear that Iraq might have weapons of mass destruction.

Another thing I've noticed is that most people don't even realize exactly what a weapon of mass destruction is.  I mean, yeah, the mushroom cloud is easy to grasp, but most people seem to have no idea about how VX nerve gas, or anthrax work.  To them it's just a label for something that tells them "be scared now".

Anyways, that's my rant on the issue, enjoy.

Oh yeah, and word to Raz, I'm in complete agreement 

-----------------------
Argon Viper
IW COL Argon Viper{ret}
chipmunk man
ComNet Member

May 14, 2004 6:01:51 AM    View the profile of chipmunk man 
I know what they are. And they are nasty things. I pray to God that I will never have to see anything like nerve gas in action.

-----------------------

Argon Viper
ComNet Expert

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-VEEC] Senior Writer

May 14, 2004 8:29:24 AM    View the profile of Argon Viper 
I agree that it's nasty, but it's not "end of the world" kind of nasty that most people think they are.  Seriously, we set off atomic blasts that destroyed two entire cities in Japan, killing over 100,000 people each, and people in the US barely noticed it.  Besides which, someone obviously failed to mention that the nations of Russia, Germany, France, the UK, China, North Korea, Israel, Pakistan, India, and even the United States have more chemical, biological, and nuclear weapons than Iraq could ever hope to amass.

The fact remains that having weapons of mass destruction is a national perogative, a precedent set by our very own nation, and in today's world (if you look at the example of North Korea), having them seems to be the only way to keep yourself safe.

-----------------------
Argon Viper
IW COL Argon Viper{ret}
Rema
ComNet Member

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant

May 14, 2004 10:22:21 AM    View the profile of Rema 
WHAT?!?! The US have WMD?!?! Oh thats false.

-----------------------
"Luke, I am your Fasha."
TRP/ASL/CPL Rema/2SQD/1PLT/1COM/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE [LoR][OPE] [AM-B][AM-S][AM-P][IH][SoA]
Ramon Stonefish
ComNet Member

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major

Post Number:  382
Total Posts:  619
May 14, 2004 10:40:28 AM    View the profile of Ramon Stonefish 
You do! One of 'ems called Bush.

-----------------------
Ramon Stonefish

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GCS/ED d- s:+ a-- C++++ UL P+ L++@ E---- W+@ N+ !o w--- PS PE t+ 5++ X-- R++ tv+ b+++ !DI D++ G e>++ h! r-- z-
-----END GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Rema
ComNet Member

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant

May 14, 2004 11:45:13 AM    View the profile of Rema 
Its kinda sad, Texas lost their biggest village idiot.

-----------------------
"Luke, I am your Fasha."
Kuroishi
ComNet Member

May 14, 2004 11:45:28 PM    View the profile of Kuroishi 
I have little respect or use for career politicians, any of them.

I don't think Bush is as dumb as he'd like everyone to believe.

Just ponder everything that has happened during his administration and what the effects of them were for a moment(No particular order and not all of them):

1: He's changed the way overtime works on a federal level.  I am still not clear as to how the new system works.  From what I can observe it seems to have helped big companies to cut payroll expenses.  This is both good and bad.

2: He instigated the invasion of Afghanastan on rather flimsy evidence that Osama was behind 9/11.  Despite this Osama is still responsible for several terrorist acts that should have brought the same kind of attention years ago.

3: To cover up his inability to capture Osama he instigates the invasion of Iraq.  He does try and get the UN to back us up but all they do is drag thier feet and allow Iraq time to hide or export it's WMD's.  This also serves as a very usefull distraction to the fact that we are still fighting insurgants in Afghanastan.

4: Bush is trying to use the recovering economy to distract us from the fighting in Iraq.

5: Bush plans to cut medicare expenses by computerizing the medicare system and making health care providers share information.  The cut will be significant but the cost in privacy is in debate.

6: Utilizing 9/11 Bush has managed to recind more of our rights and constitutional protections  then any president since Abraham Lincoln or FDR.

-----------------------
Kuroishi Wraith VEA
Daishi Raptor VEN
Rema
ComNet Member

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant

May 15, 2004 1:10:54 PM    View the profile of Rema 
I give credit to the all people with their hands up Georgy's butt, not Bush himself.

I think this is interesting:

We wouldnt want to have someone assasinate the President. If they did, Bush would be in charge.

Ha. Ha. Ha.

[Woot. 600th post]

-----------------------
"Luke, I am your Fasha."
[This message has been edited by Rema (edited May 15, 2004 1:11:35 PM)]
Argon Viper
ComNet Expert

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-VEEC] Senior Writer

May 16, 2004 10:07:29 AM    View the profile of Argon Viper 
He's definitely got a point.  Think about it, in the Clinton years, the only member of the cabinet you would have actually heard of would have been Al Gore, and then only to make fun of him    Clinton took all the credit and all the blame in his administration (which is what a leader is actually supposed to do).

In the Bush Administration, we hear from members of the cabinet as far down as the Undersecretary of Defense (or is State?), Paul Wolfowitz.

The fact remains that these vocal underlings are running the show as much as Bush is, more in fact, if you look at public appearances, comments on public policy and the like.

I'm still not sure whether this is a good thing or a bad thing...

-----------------------
Argon Viper
IW COL Argon Viper{ret}
JMac
ComNet Veteran

May 17, 2004 5:52:18 AM    View the profile of JMac 
I would have to say that it is a good thing.  The job of a leader isn't to do everything, it is to find smart, capable people to delegate things to, and to coordinate and direct those underlings efforts.

Yeah, we do have WMDs, and yeah, but as I have said before, that doesn't mean that everyone should have them so that the table is even.  We especially don't want people that hate us, and have enough of an ego to think that they could take us, getting them. 

BTW:  North Korea isn't doing their whole nuke thing for protection, they are doing it for money.  They tried it before during the Clinton administration, and he paid them off.  They are trying the same thing with Bush, only he won't pay them.

Rema, it would be nice if you gave a few facts or said something about the issues, rather then just spout off undefended and irrelevant cracks about Bush's intelligence.

-----------------------

Viva el gato mojado!!!!

Yes, I am on extended leave, but that doesn't mean I can't bother people with the few spare seconds I have to get online.
Rema
ComNet Member

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant

May 17, 2004 12:06:33 AM    View the profile of Rema 
Yeah he can get smart people to work for him, but they shouldnt be speaking for him. There is a difference.

And what makes us more capable to have WMD than the rest of the world? Not that im totally against us having them, i just wanted to throw that question out there.

Oh and ill keep what you said in mind JMac.

-----------------------
"Luke, I am your Fasha."
Argon Viper
ComNet Expert

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-VEEC] Senior Writer

May 17, 2004 7:19:25 PM    View the profile of Argon Viper 
Well, I can give a few examples to support this idea of Bush being less than intelligent, at least as far as linguistics go.  I can understand inventing the word "stragerize" for most people, but after being to many meetings in order to "strategize" our future actions, one would think he'd get it right.

Also, it takes quite a bit of effort to mistake the word "hostile" for "hostage", i.e., "we will not be held hostile by terrorists".

Anyways, as Rema said, delegating is fine, but in the end, the leader is supposed to decide policy, not the people he's delegating to.  Also, a good leader doesn't delegate blame, only responsibility.  A good leader accepts that, even if it was a subordinate who screwed up, he as the leader is responsible for that, and instead of letting the subordinate take the blame, he takes it and deals with the subordinate separately.

I don't know about you, but I haven't seen Bush take much real responsibility in this administration.

-----------------------
Argon Viper
IW COL Argon Viper{ret}
chipmunk man
ComNet Member

May 18, 2004 5:43:58 AM    View the profile of chipmunk man 
But look at it this way Argon, everyone blames Bush for everything already. Example: when he didn't want Condoleeza Rice to testify, democrats accused him of stonewalling and hiding something. When he finnally gave in and let her testify, the dems did their own reversal and accused him of caving in and having a weak backbone. Maybe if the librals would stop screaming at him for actually doing what they ask him to do, he might be able to actually get something done.

-----------------------

Kuroishi
ComNet Member

May 18, 2004 8:20:33 AM    View the profile of Kuroishi 
Career politicians are the bane of my existance.  If I had my way there would be term limits on every office and there would be a salary cap on people who could run for office.

Democrats and Republicans both have proven that they are more interested in having the positions of power then actually using them for anything usefull.

-----------------------
Kuroishi Wraith VEA
Daishi Raptor VEN
Argon Viper
ComNet Expert

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-VEEC] Senior Writer

May 18, 2004 8:29:17 AM    View the profile of Argon Viper 
Woohoo, go Dai.  Not a single word I disagree with.  And Munk, the Democrats these days are doing nothing more than the Republicans did to Clinton during his term in office (and probably what the then-Democrats did to the former Bush and Raegan, and what the then-Republicans did to to Carter, though I'm not old enough to remember those), and he seemed to be able to work through it 

-----------------------
Argon Viper
IW COL Argon Viper{ret}
JMac
ComNet Veteran

May 19, 2004 11:03:06 AM    View the profile of JMac 
So Bush isn't real good with English, it doesn't make him dumb.  My math teacher is one of the most intelligent and capable people that I know, but he sucks at English.  He gets us to proofread letters that he wrote.  Weakness in one thing does not mean weakness in all.  And which of us hasn't made up words?

There should be a 4 term limit in the senate without a doubt.  That would help keep down career politicians whose goal is to stay in office as long as possible.  Arlen Spector comes quickly to mind, as does Ted Kennedy.  For once, we are in complete accord.  We need to work on doing that.

Oh yeah, and what is the response to the Serin Gas that was shot at us in Iraq?  You know, that toxic WMD that apparently we were wrong about?

One last thing.  We don't want nuclear proliferation for two reasons.

1.  We want to keep the chances down of a psycho getting his hands on one and using it.

2.  Why should we give up an advantage we have?

-----------------------

Viva el gato mojado!!!!

Yes, I am on extended leave, but that doesn't mean I can't bother people with the few spare seconds I have to get online.
Raziel
ComNet Member

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major

Post Number:  864
Total Posts:  2873
May 19, 2004 11:06:36 AM    View the profile of Raziel 
Sorry Jmac, are you saying that it is moral to make sure that you have more weapons of mass destruction than everyone else to retain an "advantage"?

Apologies if i misinterpretted that

-----------------------
PC:A/SGM/Raziel/1PLT/1COMP/1BAT/1RGT/Tadath/VEA/ {EW1} {WoS} {VP} {IG} {CDS} {BoA}
Assistant Squad Leader - Squad4 Wraiths
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989.
CM/DJK Raziel/lion 1-5/Krath/VEDJ/VE
[This message has been edited by Raziel (edited May 19, 2004 11:08:16 AM)]
Kuroishi
ComNet Member

May 19, 2004 4:36:46 PM    View the profile of Kuroishi 
Could you imagine a world where MAD no longer applied because the number of nuclear, chemical, and biological weapons was at a level where it would be feasable to use them?

Yes giving up an advantage is bad, but we really don't have that much of an advantage if you think about it.

The best way to make sure that a madman can't get a hold of a WMD is to get rid of them all, but all that will do is drive him to make his own or compensate with conventional weapons.

The box is open and we really can't close it.

My problem is that we're telling all these third world nations they can't have something that actually scares America enough to keep us from overtly interfering in thier affairs.

Wisdom comes from expierience not age.

-----------------------
Kuroishi Wraith VEA
Daishi Raptor VEN
Argon Viper
ComNet Expert

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-VEEC] Senior Writer

May 19, 2004 8:18:32 PM    View the profile of Argon Viper 
Yeah, definitely.  Also, on the list of career politicians I notice you left out such notable names as Strom Thurmund and Fred Thompson, who, up until Mr. Thurmond's death, were the two oldest senators.  Thompson still serves as the oldest.  It's probably just nitpicking, but it serves to remind people that senators on both sides have gotted old and crotchety    I do agree that they need to be replaced though 

As to the note about WMD, I'm quite sure that most nations on Earth are now noticing a strange set of events.  Iraq, a country where not a single WMD can be found, was invaded immediately on the mere suspicion of having them, while North Korea, a country that has them, has shown them to us, and has delivery systems for them, is able to bang and scream to its hearts content.

Why the mismatch?  The obvious conclusion is MAD.  If you hope to compete with the superpower, you've got to have a deterrent to prevent them from attacking you.

Iraq was attacked because it might be on the road to developing WMD.  But it hadn't yet.  North Korea is safe because it can promise to lay nuclear death if it seems to be losing.  The basic conclusion is that having WMDs is safer than not having them.

As for nuclear proliferation, we can't stop that.  It's like all knowledge; eventually everyone's going to get ahold of it.  Our job is not to stop them from getting it, but to help them get it in a way that leaves them more kindly disposed toward us, and less inclined to use them.

In that regard, I can say that we are actively failing miserably 

-----------------------
Argon Viper
IW COL Argon Viper{ret}
ComNet > Neutral Messages > Archived Main ComNet > Before you make any "political" statements...  |  New Posts    
  Pages:  [ << 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 >> ]   

All times are CST. The time now is 9:18:44 PM
Comnet Jump:

Current Online Members - 0  |  Guests - 93  |  Bots - 2

< Contact Us - The Vast Empire >