Communications Network
Vast Empire  -  New Posts  -  Search  -  Statistics  -  Login 

ComNet > Stormtrooper Corps > Archived Army Main ComNet > Buckle Up! Plot Twists Ahead!

Author
Topic:  Buckle Up! Plot Twists Ahead!
Riqimo
ComNet Veteran
Imperial Baronet

Riqimo

[VE-ARMY] 2nd Lieutenant
[VE-DJO] Acolyte
[VE-VEEC] Scripter

Post Number:  1275
Total Posts:  2382
  Buckle Up! Plot Twists Ahead!
March 3, 2008 4:54:10 PM    View the profile of Riqimo 
A long, long time ago, in a on an RPG board not so unfamiliar...

There were these things called "plot twists" where commanders just stepped in at random times of the story you were working on and gave you a change in plot.

There will be no warning (and certainly no debating) for this. It's just going to happen.

If this happens to your story, it doesn't mean that the story is not up to par, but simply that you are being given a challenge.

In the hopefully rare event that your story is not upto par, you might receive a move-along rather than a plot twist.  (Don't fret, these things are simply ONE post )
Riqimo "Doc" Pershaw

Put a blaster in a citizen's hands, and you have an expendable troop.  Put a purpose in his heart, and you win a soldier.

Imperial Network Star Wars Image

SL/SGM Riqimo/2SQD/2PLT/1COM/1RGT/1BAT/Tadath/VEA
[CotE][CDS][EW1][ES2][MSM][SC]
[AS-1][SoH]
[VUA-Eclipse][VUA-ARC-Lambda]

Author/SCP Riqimo/Lotaith/VET/VE

SW Image Database
AlanRJ
ComNet Member

AlanRJ

[VE-ARMY] Gunnery Sergeant

Post Number:  770
Total Posts:  1795
  RE: Buckle Up! Plot Twists Ahead!
March 4, 2008 5:09:06 AM    View the profile of AlanRJ 
I have to say that I am not overly thrilled with the idea of someone coming onto a squad story and throwing in a plot twist as when I create squad stories I always add in plot twists of my own and any plot twists that others add could potentially throw off the direction I am wanting the story to go in.

That being said, if it happens then it happens and I will run with it.
SL/GSG AlanRJ/1SQD/1PLT/1COM/1RGT/1BAT/Tadath/VEA [ES2] [IH] [BC] [SoH] [EW2]

IronHorseSquad

Army of the Vast Empire
Aeos
ComNet Expert

Aeos

[VE-ARMY] Gunnery Sergeant
[VE-DJO] Krath Adept
[VE-VEEC] Journalist

Post Number:  1642
Total Posts:  3141
March 4, 2008 5:30:31 AM    View the profile of Aeos 
Riq threw in a plot twist in my squad story yesterday.

It worked out quite well, and gave the story an bit of an edge. If done properly, it will work well.

He didn't change the main objective to the mission, but added an extra one, which excited the story much more then I would've have foreseen.

All in, all, its keeps Squad Leaders on their toes as well, as far as it concerns my own opinion.

And, if I have to talk out of the devil's mouth, (thats you Riq)

Plot twists would mean, Commanders are actually involved with our squads. They read the stories and are aware of what's the ins and outs of the squad.

That said, I'm off to get another DVD, grey's anatomy
Jester Squad

PA_SL/GSGT Aeos/3SQD/2PLT/1COM/1RGT/1BAT/VEA/Tadath[LoR][ES2C][CoR]
DI/GSGT Aeos/STC Academy/Hellgate/Tadath/VEA/VE
CPO_Aeos/(=*A*=)][MC1](=*SA*=)
TRN/AD_Aeos/Training 1-1/Lopen/VEDJ/VE[/font]
Riqimo
ComNet Veteran
Imperial Baronet

Riqimo

[VE-ARMY] 2nd Lieutenant
[VE-DJO] Acolyte
[VE-VEEC] Scripter

Post Number:  1276
Total Posts:  2382
March 4, 2008 6:18:35 AM    View the profile of Riqimo 
Aeos wrote:Plot twists would mean, Commanders are actually involved with our squads. They read the stories and are aware of what's the ins and outs of the squad.

Usually, you wouldn't know if your commanders read the stories or not unless they participate in some manner.  And as Aeos said, its meant to challenge you, keep you on your toes.

You probably won't get a plot twist every story or even every other story, but there isn't a set pattern, it's practically random

And Ae also stated, the plot twist is not meant a change in objectives usually, its more of a slight... twist in plot.   It can have your squad walk into a small ambush, show enemy dialog, introduce your squad to an NPC (friendly or otherwise), and a whole other variety of options.

And aye, Jester has had one, and you can view that one as an example if you care to see how they work.
Alater
ComNet Member

Alater

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant

Post Number:  413
Total Posts:  614
March 4, 2008 11:50:08 AM    View the profile of Alater 
In compliment to Doc's writing skills I await DD's first plot twist, aber I midly fear the twisted things he can come up with to throw into an otherwise civil story. Seriously: "With love from a rubber glove" ? That leads to some very pointed questions about the kind of things he might 'throw in there'.
TRP/SGT Alater Osted/4thSQD/1PLT/1CMP/1REG/1BAT/Tadath/VEA [EW1] [ES1] [SoH] [[VUA-Eclipse]] [ROC:HW] [AS-6M] [IG] [RoM] [BC]
Jinx
ComNet Novice

Jinx

[VE-ARMY] Lance Corporal

Post Number:  93
Total Posts:  173
March 4, 2008 12:01:13 AM    View the profile of Jinx 
Yes that could make a rather interesting plot twist for you guys, lol.  But I have to admit, I like the plot twist that was thrown in, adds to the  already good storyline.
LCPL Jinx/3SQD/2PLT/1COM/1RGT/1BAT/VEA/Tadath [EW2C][LoR]
Whenever I see an old lady slip and fall on a wet sidewalk, my first instinct is to laugh. But then I think, what if I was an ant, and she fell on me. Then it wouldn't seem quite so funny.
- Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts
ComNet > Stormtrooper Corps > Archived Army Main ComNet > Buckle Up! Plot Twists Ahead!  |  New Posts    

All times are CST. The time now is 10:22:23 AM
Comnet Jump:

Current Online Members - 0  |  Guests - 294  |  Bots - 0

< Contact Us - The Vast Empire >