Communications Network
Vast Empire  -  New Posts  -  Search  -  Statistics  -  Login 

ComNet > Stormtrooper Corps > Archived Specialty Storynet > Lancer Squad Specialty Stories

(Restricted Division(s):  ARMY)

Pages:  [ 1 2 ]   
Author
Topic:  Lancer Squad Specialty Stories
Garet Daimun
ComNet Novice

Garet Daimun

[VE-ARMY] Private First Class

Post Number:  28
Total Posts:  1348
  RE: Lancer Squad Specialty Stories
August 31, 2005 10:43:14 PM    View the profile of Garet Daimun 
Ok, well, here's my specialty story. It's my first specialty story, and I don't know if I did it right. Tread lightly please!

Combat Engineering Training
Level One
Story One

Training for Combat Engineering was harder than it seemed, and Garet soon found out having a Master Level Roundhouse Kick wasn't going to help. His first course as a Stormtrooper was on Basic Wiring, a subject that he knew nothing about.

In his classes, Garet was introduced to a basic tool kit and was instructed on wiring common objects, like computers, weapons, and armor. His instructor made it a little easier: he was a kindly old man from a village outside of the training center. He talked slowly, as most elderly do, and he did so with efficiency. Garet could understand him; this was how his first professors taught him in childhood.

Several weeks passed, and Garet got to know the subject much better. By the last class, he could successfully wire a broken security computer, a basic E-11 Blaster, and a Stormtrooper Helmet. He had a feeling that the final test was going to be easy.

"All right, I will see each of you individually next week for your exams. You have the times on your datapads. Do not come with any equipment, you will be provided with it when you come." Said the instructor. "Get some rest, and good luck."

The week passed by, full of studying and sleeping, and the occasional meal. The day came for the final exam, so Garet went to the Training Center. His datapad beeped with an alert for the exam, so Garet walked into his Instructor's room. To his expectations, the room was empty and his Instructor was at his desk.

"Ah, Daimun, come on in."

"Yes, sir. I didn't see anyone come out sir."

"I hope you didn't, I was just on my lunch break. You eat before you came?"

"No sir, I don't have much of an appetite sir."

"Eh, that's a shame. It's better to think on a full stomach. Take a seat and I'll fill you in." Garet took a seat in the first row. His instructor pointed to a machine in the corner.

"You know what that is, Private?"

"Yes sir, that's a Training Simulator sir."

"Good, good. Well, welcome to your Final Exam." The Instructor pushed a button on the side of his desk, and the Simulator started up with a low hum. "You'll be in that."

"Excuse me sir, but a Simulator? Don't you want to see my basic wiring skills?"

"Of course I do, but what good are they if you aren't put into a pressured situation?" He said with a smile. "You need to complete a scenario in enemy territory. Some of our boys have been taken prisoner. You need to infiltrate the enemy prison and get them out. However, sending you in with your Stormtrooper armor might unsettle some of the occupants. You'll be put in with only a E-11 Blaster and a basic tool kit." The instructor stood up and stuck out his hand. "Good luck, Private."

Garet got up from his seat and strode to the front of the room. He stopped in front of the desk and shook his instructor's hand. "Thank you sir." He kept on going to the simulator, and sat down.

"Since you don't have any armor, I can't stay in communication. You're on your own. Oh, did I forget to mention that the prisoners will be executed in 30 minutes? Good luck!" The instructor quickly pressed another button and the simulation started.

The location was not to Garet's liking: he was in the middle of the desert, and it was night. Laid out in front of him in the sand was a blaster and it's power cell. "Well, this Exam may be easy after all." Garet plucked up the two items, and plugged in the power cell. He slung it over his shoulder, and started to walk to a silhouette in the distance.

The base was infiltrated easy enough. It had low walls with guards watching nothing but the front entrance. There was no ceiling, there wasn't really a need for one in the middle of the desert. Garet saw an easy answer, so he jumped up and grabbed the top of the wall. He peered down over the wall and saw nothing, so he pulled himself over and dropped down. In the exact center of the base, there was one covered structure with one guard standing by the entrance. Moving as silently as possible, Garet made his way over.

However, Garet had no training in stealth, and it came apparent when the guard looked over in his direction. To get a better look the guard took a few steps closer and as soon as he made out the figure of Garet, he opened fire. Garet dived behind the corner of the small building he was heading towards.

Garet had to retaliate, so he pulled his E-11 over his shoulder, and leaned around the corner. The guard, seeing the blaster aiming towards him, dived away. As he did this, Garet opened fire, or tried to at least. As soon as he pulled the trigger, he knew something was wrong: his blaster didn't fire. Frantically trying to figure out the problem, he cracked open the laser with a screwdriver from his tool kit. He immediately knew what it was. The simulator made it look like all you had to do was plug the power cell in, but there was something less obvious: the wires that drew power from the power supply were not connected to the power supply chamber. It was a simple thing, but Garet overlooked it under the pressured simulation. His first mistake was a small one, but it could've ended his life.

As Garet put the gun's case back together, he looked up to see the guard staring at him. Apparently the guard had figured something was wrong and came to see. The guard lifted his blaster.

"Drop your weapon, and get up. Slowly." This is where Garet's previous training in the Martial Arts would come in. He leaned his blaster onto the wall of the building, and got up slowly. The guard pushed him on slowly, towards the entrance of the small building. As soon as they got to the door, Garet knelt on one leg while keeping the other straight and spun around. He hit the guard in the back of the leg, causing him to fall to the ground. Garet quickly grabbed the blaster, and shot the guard in the neck.

Garet dropped the laser and turned around. He analyzed the doorway: there was no handle, just a security console next to the door. The console's screen was cracked open to allow maintenance though, and with the tools on the ground Garet assumed that the guard was actually a repairman. He pulled the console open more to find that most of the wiring and been pulled out of their sockets and were now dangling from the console. Looking around to see if there were any more guards, he got to work. Estimating that it had been twenty minutes since the mission started, he worked faster than he usually did.

He recognized three of the four cables that had been removed. The Power Feed, the In Feed, the Out Feed, and what he assumed to be the cable that leads to the lock mechanism on the door. The power feed was the last thing that should be plugged in, he didn't want to short circuit the console before he could use it. Luckily, the simulator was programmed to label all the sockets for the wires. Using plastic pliers from his tool kit, Garet quickly plugged in the line in feed to a socket labeled "Camera", the lock mechanism wire to a socket labeled "Door", the Line out feed to his datapad, and the power feed to the socket labeled "Power". Ha, this is easy, the old man didn't disappoint.

Garet flipped the power switch on the inside of the Console, and his datapad lit up. First things first: he accessed the camera system. There were two feeds, one at the front gate, and assumed to be in the covered building he was next to. On the second feed, there was a place that was clearly a cell; it had an energy barrier and two raggedy looking humans in it. Without any further delay, he opened the door from his datapad and ripped the out feed from it. He ran inside to the trapped soldiers. "Hey there boys."

Both of the prisoners stood up. "Someone told me you needed a rescue." Apparently the simulator wasn't programmed for the prisoners to speak, or the enemy had ripped their vocal cords out. He kneeled down to a small square at the bottom corner of the barrier, pried it open with a screwdriver, and cut the wires that were inside. The barrier fell, and the prisoners ran out. On the way out, he took a look at the security console: it was about 27 minutes into the mission. In the distance (through the main gate) Garet could see the headlights of a speeder coming towards the base. The only thing that Garet could think of was that those were the people coming to execute his comrades.

Garet grabbed the blaster he dropped earlier over the dead repairman and sprinted over to a second security console by the main gate. He scanned the edge of it for a place to pry it open, and eventually did with his screwdriver. The lights got closer and closer, and as they did the guards out front were getting ready to open the gate. Using his plastic pliers, Garet did the only thing he could think of to buy more time: he pulled out the gate control from this console, and shot the other one through the gate.

The guards opened fire as soon as they saw him shoot the console. Garet hid around the corner of the gate so the guards couldn't see him. He stepped out to get a shot, and the blaster didn't fire. He checked the power cell, and found that it was empty. He ripped the cell out and through it to the ground. He looked around for something to make up for it, and then saw the console. Garet ripped the power feed out of the console screen, and attached the wire to the power cell chamber in his blaster. He stepped out again, and took a good five seconds spreading fire through the gate. After a show of light and sound, Garet saw the guards on the ground, bleeding. He dropped the blaster, ran back to the prisoners, and helped them over the low wall.

The simulation ended, and Garet found himself back in the classroom.
"You're pretty reckless." Said Garet's Instructor. "But you got through, barely. Congratulations, you pass. I hope I'll be seeing you for the next course, Private."

Comments: Allright, good work! I'm going to pass your story on an excellent first attempt. Keep it up! The sim was a nice touch...

-----------------------
Private First Class Garet Daimun
-=Lancer Squad=-  -=TRP=- -=Blue Lancer 1=-
TRP/PFC Garet Daimun/2SQD/2PLT/1COM/1RGT/1BAT/Tadath/VEA
[This message has been edited by Rizzit (edited September 1, 2005 7:34:48 PM)]
Garet Daimun
ComNet Novice

Garet Daimun

[VE-ARMY] Private First Class

Post Number:  41
Total Posts:  1348
September 2, 2005 9:49:59 PM    View the profile of Garet Daimun 
Followup! Hope it works!

Combat Engineer Training
Level One
Story Two

To Garet's dislike, he found out that his Instructor was not the kind elderly man from before, but a younger officer who was stricter. The officer, who introduced himself formally as Major Olerud, seemed to have a disliking for this group of soldiers. On the first day of the class, he explained this.

"You are an unkempt, rowdy, and disarrayed group of ragtag soldiers. With the proper training in&" He paused and looked down at a paper, "&electrical systems, from myself of course, you shall prove to be fine soldiers. However, I expect excellency and order from each and every one of you. Anything less and I shall fail the individual who proves unworthy." He dropped the paper he was holding onto his desk, and picked up a different one. "I will now read off the list of attendance. Note that if you do not have perfect attendance, you shall be failed. If you attend late to any of my classes, you will be given five hours of community service to the Imperial Army&"

Garet looked around the room as the Major talked on. Most of the other soldiers were either asleep or having conversations of their own. However, Garet could not stop paying attention. He knew that it was a privilege to be learning, and a privilege to be in the army.

"& This course will cover Basic Wiring and Electricity, Electrical Laws, and Electrical Systems. Over the next four weeks you will be learning the necessary elements to complete your final exam. Failure of the exam requires you to take the course over again& And I assure that you will have a spot in my class. You have your books, get to work on chapter one."

At that, everyone opened their books and began reading. Garet was determined to set a good impression (any edge is good to have with this guy), so he read with more care and delicacy than he ever had. Chapter One: Revisiting Basic Wiring& Garet read this with ease, he really only wanted to focus on topics he hadn't learned. Chapter Two: Ohm's Law and other Rules&" This is where Garet wanted to start, right where the last course left off. Taking a couple minutes for thinking, Garet finished the chapter in roughly fifteen minutes. He looked around the class again, and noticed that some people had taken out journals and started writing things down. Garet trusted himself in his ability to remember the topics; well at least he did in the past.

He kept reading, and by the time the class ended he had advanced to chapter four. Olerud announced that the class was over, and everyone hustled out. Well, everyone except for Garet who put his things in a bag, and strolled out after everyone was gone.

"Ah, Private Daimun," said Olerud, barely catching Garet before he got out the door. "I noticed you weren't paying attention to me during class. I expect better from now on, or I will be seeing you next month."

Garet tried to retort and disclaim this statement, but his judgment got the better of him. "Yes sir," he said. He saluted the Major, and waited for him to salute back. The Major stood there looking at him, and simply said "Dismissed", and went back to his desk. Shocked, Garet put down his hand, and walked out.

The next three weeks went by the same, studying in the books and no hands on learning. Olerud seemed to pay less attention to Garet, and Garet thought that a good thing. The last class came around, and Garet felt he had learned much. Ten minutes before class was over, Olerud stood up from his desk.

"Attention, soldiers," he announced. "Due to recent changes in my schedule, your final exam has been bumped to tomorrow. Same rules apply: I expect perfection. Dismissed."

The class hurried out again as usual, and as usual Garet took his time. As he was walking out Olerud caught him. "Private Daimun," he called. "You have been unruly this entire course. By my standards I should have failed you already. However, I am willing to give you an extra chance. Why? I don't know, but if you complete the Exam with nothing less of excellency, I will fail you faster than a Blaster shot. Be here by 0600 hours tomorrow."

This confused Garet, there were definitely others who were more unruly than him. Nonetheless, he raised his hand to a salute. Again, Olerud replied with "Dismissed", and Garet walked away distressed by the Majors disrespect. Not only had Olerud bumped up the exam date and put Garet in the first slot, but also he had made it so that he must pass perfectly.

That night was an uneasy, sleepless one, full of studying and thinking. Before long, Garet's datapad beeped with an alert saying it was 0530. He took a cold shower to heighten his senses and wake him up. He walked from his barracks to the Training Building and arrived early. He sat outside Olerud's room, waiting for him to call him in. At exactly 0600, Olerud opened the door.

"Enter, Private." Garet followed Olerud back to his desk. The room had changed, and Garet recognized a Simulator like the last time. However unlike the last time, there were four of them. In three of them there were soldiers, already engaged in the exam.

"Well, get in. You have an exam to take. I will be in communication with you throughout you're mission. You Squad-mates will be waiting for you. They are soldiers studying in other fields; they are all in my classes. Work well with them and complete the mission, and you will pass. If you fail, well that explains itself. Now, please, take a seat."

Just as he was told, Garet sat. In a couple seconds, Garet found himself on a rocky mountainside. Farther ahead he saw some people with mortars, and even closer he saw three stormtroopers (his squad-mates) leaning up on large boulders, and even closer he saw an explosion. The bulk of the explosion missed him, but it was enough to knock him backwards. He pulled himself to his knees and ran to one of the stormtroopers.

"Get down," yelled the Stormtrooper. "Soldier, Rank and name!"

"PFC Garet Daimun sir!" replied Garet.

"I'm Corporal Jennings, Sniper. I'm the head of this mission. I assume you're the CE we've been waiting for."

"Yes sir."

"Well, good to know you made it." Jennings pointed to the boulder on his left. "That there is PFC Garcia, he was a CE but advanced to Heavy Weaponry." Jennigs pointed to the boulder on the right. "That's Corporal Furgus, she's a sniper as well." As he said this she let off a shot.

"Enemy down!" she yelled. Jennings whistled to Garcia, and pointed towards the mortar. Another blast went off ahead of them, and as the debris settled Garcia pulled up a Missile Launcher and fired a shot at the mortar. Jennings looked over and motioned the team to move. They all ran up to where the Missile hit, blasters ready. They found out that the two men with the mortar were dead. "Rebels," said Garcia.

They moved as a group up the mountainside until they came to the top. Where the enemy was hiding was obvious. There was a cave about 25 meters down the side of the cliff, with large cables leading into it from a fenced off generator.

Jennings ordered them to go prone, which they did. "Garcia, Daimun, move out; we'll cover you." Garet could tell it ad recently rained, there were puddles on the ground and clouds in the sky. Ten meters away from the generator, sniper shots were heard. Garet and Garcia were startled by it, but kept moving.

They came to the generator, and Garcia was about to pull the gate door open but Garet stopped him. "Look, the cables protective casing is torn. If you touch the metal, you'll be electrocuted."

"So what are we supposed to do?" Garet looked around.

"There, see that log? Help me lift it." They both lifted it, and used it as a battering ram to get into the fenced area. Garet grabbed an unexposed part of the cable (they were all tied together at the source), and with some applied force, tore it out of the generator. "Come on," Garet said. "That should have cut power to the whole cave, unless there's another generator. Corporal Jennings sir," Garet now spoke into his wristcom, "the generator is disabled. We're ready to move."

"Roger that Daimun. Furgus will stay here and cover the entrance. Rendezvous at the cave entrance."

Everyone (except Furgus) met at the cave opening and proceeded inwards. Upon further investigation, it was discovered that the cave was not a cave, but a man made base. It was carefully organized into two main corridors. "Okay," started Jennings, "I'll go with Daimun, Garcia I hope you can take care of yourself."

"Oh, I'll be fine sir," Garcia said enthusiastically. "I just hope Private Daimun here knows his stuff." The three split up between the corridors.

About ten minutes later, Garet stopped moving. "Sir, hold up a sec."

"What is it Daimun?"

"Hear that?" There was a slight buzz coming from a room on the left.

"Yeah, you know what it is?"

"Sounds like a generator, but I can't be certain."

"Alright then, let's go." The two of them ran into the room that the sound was coming from. It happened to be a corridor leading to a large room filled with generators. A door connecting the room and the corridor muffled the sound.

"I've never seen so many in one place," exclaimed Garet. "They must be doing something massive here."

"Well what can we do?" Asked Jennings.

"Got a wrench?" asked Garet sarcastically. "Well, we can shut them down for one. That will stop their plans temporarily." But before they could get any further, Garcia came in over the wristcom.

"Sir, you won't believe this, but there's a Hangar here! X-wings, Y-wings, you name it, they've got it."

"What? Tell me, are they recharging?"

"Well, there's a cable connected to each one if that's what you're asking."

"Ok, thanks Garcia. See if you can cause some commotion."

"Roger sir! Garcia out."

"This must be what the mission is, Daimun. Let's get to work." Jennings looked around. "See up there? I'll go up and cover you. Good luck."

"Yes sir. Good luck to you too sir." Jennings climbed two flights of stairs, found a covered position, and set up his sniper. "Furgus, come in over." Jennings said into his wristcom.

"Jennings has been extracted, her mission was complete," said a voice that was known as Olerud. "Continue with your mission Corporal, so far so good."

While Jennings talked to the Major, Garet continued on the ground. He stood for a moment and looked around, thinking of the fastest way to disable all the generators. He thought of a plan that might work, providing that all the generators were brought together at a central source. He took a quick survey of the room, there were eight generators in all, and each one had a fuse box on it. Upon examination of the boxes, Garet found out that each one had one fuse connected out of a possible eight. So his idea was simple: he took the fuses off of seven of the generators, and put them all onto one. "Sir, the Ships should be receiving less power now, only one generator is powering all of them."

"Ok, whatever that means. I guess I'll call in an air strike. We better get out of here. I'll alert Garcia." About five minutes later, all three of them sat on top of the mountain and watched as a squadron of Tie Bombers bombarded the cave/base. Any fighters that attempted to come out crashed due to insufficient power. After a brief show of fire, Garet found himself back in reality.

An unpleasant site of Olerud filled Garet's eyes. "I will speak to all of you individually, Private Daimun you're first. The rest of you wait outside." Jennings, Garcia, and Furgus walked outside, shutting the door behind them.

"Take a seat." Olerud said to Garet. "You completed your mission. You followed all orders. You're a model soldier." He handed Garet a slip of paper. "Dismissed."

The slip said that Garet passed the exam. The look in Olerud's face was priceless as he passed the slip over, and this was the first time Garet was happy to stop learning.

Comments: Allright, there is far too much talking going on here, but I am still going to pass you. There really isn't that much to write about for electrical systems, so all things considering: you did a good job. Now get ready for the fun part of the specialty: real work.

-----------------------
Private First Class Garet Daimun
-=Lancer Squad=-  -=TRP=- -=Blue Lancer 1=-
TRP/PFC Garet Daimun/2SQD/2PLT/1COM/1RGT/1BAT/Tadath/VEA
[This message has been edited by Rizzit (edited September 3, 2005 8:59:46 PM)]
Darr-Rann
ComNet Initiate

Darr-Rann

[VE-ARMY] Lance Corporal
[VE-VEEC] Reporter

Post Number:  131
Total Posts:  1587
October 7, 2005 2:59:42 PM    View the profile of Darr-Rann 
I have Re-Written this in attempt to pass it. I took out the test and replaced it with training. It's also longer now. I'm sorry about all those Squad references, from now on i'll make note not to use any (There is some in here, sorry, but remember, I wrote these specs before you commented on them)

Pharmacology
Medic Spec. Story #4 (Revision)
by Darr-Rann
||==========================================================================||

Darr-Rann swung his electrostaff, spinning it around at a rapid pace. Closing his eyes, he imagined his enemies, parrying and attacking, reviewing in his mind his training and experiences. It had been a long time since he had used Cedaan-Ryu, and only started again recently, but already he was re-reaching the proficiency he was held before he had stopped. Suddenly he heard a voice ring out in his head.
"Pity you never learned as much as I had."
Darr-Rann span around to face Jad Cedaan, standing at the sidelines of the empty training room. "Bastard!" Darr-Rann cried out, swinging his staff around and brining it down on his brother's head. Or it would have, if he had actually been standing there. The staff crashed down through the chair, splintering it and putting a small hole in the floor.
"I must be training too hard." he said, walking over to the locker room.

Darr-Rann sat down at the Table, eating his lunch and talking to his friends. "It's good to have a few days off..." he said, taking a bite out of his sandwich.
"I thought you were already on a break from mission?"
Darr-Rann laughed at this. "But the difference is I don't need to spend it being lectured on RATEL."
They all laughed, and then Tal pulled out a sabaac deck. "Anyone up for a game?"
Darr-Rann looked around the table. "Well, we're pretty much done lunch, so we might as well have it in the lounge." He said, getting up from the table.

They sat down at the lounge table, Tal shuffling the cards. As they dealt, A woman seemingly in her early twenties, walked over to the table. "Do you guys mind if I join in?" Darr-Rann stared at her for a few moments, forgetting everything that was happening around him as he looked at this woman, breath-taken by her beauty. Luckily for him she was facing Jeff at the moment, and she did not see this. Tal did though, and had to stop himself from laughing.
"Sure, no problem Dawn." Jeff said.
Talon collected the cards, shuffled again, and re-dealt them.
Jeff motioned over to Darr-Rann. "Dawn, this is Lance Corporal Darr-Rann of Lancer Squad, one of our fellow medics. Darr-Rann, this is Dawn, our squad's Splicer." He said,
looking at his hand.
"Pleased to meet you, Dawn." Darr-Rann said.
"You too, Darr-Rann." She said, sending him a smile that just made him feel more nervous.

As they played, Darr-Rann and Dawn gave their stories of how they came to the Vast Empire. "So, after I was caught Splicing into Vast Imperial networks, they decided I would be more useful on their side then dead, so they hired me, and here I am today." she said.
Jeff looked at the time and got up from the table. "Well, Time to get to class." He said, Packing up his things.
"See you later." Darr-Rann said to Dawn.
"Later." She said, smiling at him again.

When they were on their way, Tal looked at Darr-Rann and laughed.
"What?" Darr-Rann said in response.
"Just thinking about the look on your face when Jeff said we had to go." he said, still chuckling to himself.
"What do you mean by that?"
"Nothing, its just you didn't seem to be too focused on the game."
"What?" Darr-Rann said
"Nothing..." Tal responded, seemingly amused by the situation.

"Welcome to Pharmacology!" said Instructor Tyan't, Looking around the classroom. "It's good to see you all again back in my class, I hope to see the good students continue the impress me and the lesser ones to do better." He walked over to his computer as he said this, brining up notes.

"As you should know, Pharmacology is the study of drugs and their effects. You will learn about the medicines you will be using on the battlefield and their proper usage." He said as they took down notes. "You will learn more about common healing medicines such as Bacta and Rylca, stimpills, and even the powerful Interrogation drugs."

He pressed a few keys on his computer then continued. "There is Five types of Medical Drugs, Basic Medications which consist of things such as Pain-killers and Bacta, Specialty drugs that are designed for treating specific problems, Vaccines, Interrogation drugs such as Skirtopanol, and the more friendly Herbal medicines that don't see a wide use these days." He continued to describe a variety of Drugs, making sure the students took notes.

"It's time to test you on your skills in Pharmacology. Recently we've had quite a few people in the medical center. You guys are going to have some field training there." Tyan't said, guiding them to the door.

They arrived at the medical center, the instructor bringing them to the desk in the lobby. "Okay." He said. "I might as well tell you what you're going to be doing. Each of you is going to be assigned a patient. They have all been treated for any injuries they would have had, and have been prescribed medication." We walked over and got a box of datapads and offered them to the students. These contain your patients name and information. Lets see if you do as good of a job picking the medications as our medics here do."

Darr-Rann looked at the file. "Multiple broken bones and fractures, has been bacta-treated but still experiences intense pain." He opened the door and walked in.
"Alright." He said, striding towards the patient inside. "I'm Darr-Rann, I'm the Medical student they told you about." The man nodded and Darr-Rann continued.
"Can you tell me about the pains you've been having?" Darr-Rann said, looking at the datapad again.
"From my shoulder down my right arm, Were my injuries were treated." He said, gesturing were he meant. "The doctor said it would hurt, but I didn't think it would be this bad."
Darr-Rann examined it, and then continued. "When do you need to get back in service.?" He asked.
"I've got four weeks until I'm back on duty" He said, wincing from an apparent rush of pain.
"Okay..." He said, punching a few comments into the datapad and then looking up. "Alright, thanks." He said.
"No problem" The man said, closing his eyes to try and get some rest.

Darr-Rann and his friends stood by a vending machine, trying to decide what to do with their time while the instructor was reading over their prescription recommendations.
"Maybe we should head down to the lounge." Darr-Rann suggested.
"You just want to see if Dawn is there." Tal said, smirking. He laughed to see that Darr-Rann's face had turned red. Jeff joined in but Darr-Rann found a way to change the subject.
"We don't have that much time before the class, we might as well just go wait." He said, Relieved to have gotten away from the conversation.

"Darr-Rann?" The instructor called him up to the front of the class. "Alright, you chose Perigen to treat your patient, explain to me why you did." He said, looking up from his computer.
"It's a non-narcotic painkiller. I thought if issuing a narcotic painkiller could be avoided, it would be a good idea. He's on sick leave for four weeks, so the concentration problems wouldn't be too major." He said, waiting expectantly at the instructor.
"Alright, that will be noted, you'll receive your mark by the end of the week."

Darr-Rann walked down the hallway, stopping to look at the time. I don't have anything to do for a while..." He thought to himself. "Maybe I should head down to the lounge..."

-----------------------
Wildcard you better hide your face, cause Storm is gonna rock this place.

-=Lancer Squad=-
FTL/LCPL Darr-Rann/2SQD/2PLT/1COM/1RGT/1BAT/VEA/VE/Tadath [LoR]
LANCE CORPORAL
one of few - A vast Empire medic
Read Losses of Vandetta by me and Hellra
Slick
ComNet Member

Slick

[VE-ARMY] Corporal

Post Number:  382
Total Posts:  635
October 23, 2005 11:02:47 PM    View the profile of Slick 
Level One Combat Engineer
Story One: Basic Electronics/Wiring

"This is stupid." Corporal Slick muttered to himself as he entered the classroom.

He found that he wasn't the only one to think so. As he entered the classroom he noticed that alot of the other trainee's were grumbling. He quickly scanned the others, and saw that he was the second highest ranking trooper in the room. He chose a seat at the front, and quickly sat down. Might as well look like I'm paying attention he thought to himself. He looked to his left, and saw that he was seated next to a sergeant. The sergeant extended a hand, and Slick took it.

"Name's Vick. I hope you know this stuff."

With a grin Slick replied, "Not at all. I'm Slick."

"Shut up troopers." growled the instructor as he came into the room. The entire room became as silent as a grave. Then the instructor continued.

"I am senior sergeant Lee. You are all here to learn the high points of basic electronics, and wiring. This will not be an easy course, and I don't pass troopers who decide that they can slack off, and still get by. That won't happen here. You can't slack off in combat, and you WON'T slack off here. Now form a line, and collect a datapad."

Slick stood, and approached the desk. He quickly grabbed a datapad, and returned to his seat. The instructor waited until everyone had returned to their seat, and then looked the class over. He gave them a very toothy grin, and Slick felt an insane urge to laugh. He focused on his datapad instead.

"Now we get to go into the shop, and tinker with my little toys. The datapad will have all the information you need, and the booth you are assigned. Have fun troopers, and don't fail this basic test." said instructor Lee.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
ONE HOUR LATER

"Damn it all to HELL!" Slick said for the sixth time in the past hour.

He was sitting in booth seven, and he was getting mad. No matter what he tried he couldn't get this stupid radio to work. He decided to go over the whole thing again. He started by looking the radio over. He didn't see any cracks, or dents. He really didn't see anything wrong with it from the outside. He checked the radio's antenna to make sure that it wasn't ripped, torn or in bad condition. It looked perfectly serviceable. He turned the radio around, and began to look over the input buttons. None were permanently depressed, or ripped out. He calmed himself for the second time, and put the radio down.

Pulling a tiny magnetic screwdriver he began to take the bottom of the radio off. He started from the bottom, and worked his way to the top. Once he had finished with the eight screws holding the bottom plate on, he quickly removed it. He placed it to the side, and placed the screws on top of the plate. He put the screwdriver away, and looked into the radio's guts. Several wires wound it's way through the radio's interior, and went to their respective areas. He grimaced as he looked at it. He really hated electronics, and he was pretty sure the feeling was mutual.

He slowly began to follow the length of every wire. First with his eyes, and then slowly he would feel along the wire with his fingers. Each wire was wrapped in a plastic tube so that the wires wouldn't become unwound, and rub other wires. He was checking to see if the tubing had been breached, and wires were rubbing against one another. He slowly checked the length of each wire, and found nothing. Then while he was checking the ground wire he felt something. The ground wire had been cut in two. Slick grinned for the first time that day.

He reached down to his belt, and selected a tiny set of wire strippers. He stripped the wires at each end of the cut, and quickly pulled the plastic pieces off the wires. He replaced the strippers, and grabbed a mini solder-gun and a solder stick. He quickly heated up the solder-gun, and placed the stick against the wires. He placed the heated tip to the stick, and watched as the solder began to drip off the stick and onto the wires. The solder quickly fused the wires together, and Slick put the stick and solder-gun away.

He pulled a piece of quick shrinking tubing, and wrapped it around the wires. The tubing quickly molded to the shape of the wires, and completed the procedure. Once that was done he moved on to his next step. He pulled a relay from the radio, and looked it over. Seeing nothing out of the ordinary he replaced it. Next he pulled a simple fuse, and looked it over. The metal on the inside was broken, and he had to ask the instructor for a new one. Instructor Lee handed him a new fuse, and Slick started to replace it. Suddenly he stopped, and turned back around. The instructor had given him a bad fuse to replace the already bad one. When he saw the twinkle in Lee's eye, Slick knew that he had done it on purpose.

Once he received a new fuse he quickly placed it into the radio. He continued his inspection, and found nothing else wrong. He pulled his screwdriver again, and the bottom radio panel. He began to put the radio back together, and he was taking his time. He knew for sure that it was going to work this time. He tightened all eight screws, and flipped the radio upright. He reached out, and hit the "Activate" button on the face panel. He was grinning, but within a second his grin had faded. Nothing had happened.

"Oh come on! Give me a break!" he yelled at the radio. He smacked the radio, and muttered, "Damn machine."

He picked up his datapad, and looked it over. He was looking for something that he might have overlooked. He quickly began going over all the steps in his head. Then he noticed one he hadn't done. He put the datapad down, and rotated the radio until he was looking at the back of it. He found two little metal catches, and he flipped them. He opened the panel, and looked inside. There wasn't a battery. He felt his face grow red, and he smacked himself in the forehead. He called for the instructor, and received a battery. He placed the battery inside the radio, and resealed the beck panel. He spun the radio around, and hit the "Activate" button again. The radio came to life in an instant. He picked it up, and handed it in to the instructor. Lee quickly looked it over, and placed it in a pile.

"You pass corporal. Now get out of here before I decide to change my mind." Lee said, and Slick did so.

-----------------------
Wildcard you better hide your face, cause Storm is gonna rock this place.
Corporal Slick
-=Lancer Squad=--=SL=-
SL/CPL Slick/2SQD/2PLT/1COM/1RGT/1BAT/VEA/VE/Tadath[LoR]
ComNet > Stormtrooper Corps > Archived Specialty Storynet > Lancer Squad Specialty Stories  |  New Posts    
  Pages:  [ 1 2 ]   

All times are CST. The time now is 6:31:18 AM
Comnet Jump:

Current Online Members - 0  |  Guests - 129  |  Bots - 0

< Contact Us - The Vast Empire >