Communications Network
Vast Empire  -  New Posts  -  Search  -  Statistics  -  Login 

ComNet > Imperial Navy > Archived Navy Main ComNet > VEN: Heart of the Second discussion

Pages:  [ 1 2 3 4 ]   
Author
Topic:  VEN: Heart of the Second discussion
Trykon
ComNet Marshal

Trykon

[VE-DJO] Dark Jedi Templar
[VE-NAVY] Captain

Post Number:  2791
Total Posts:  3784
  VEN: Heart of the Second discussion
May 10, 2013 5:00:17 AM    View the profile of Trykon 
The Heart of the Second thread needs a discussion thread.  Here it is. 

For reference, here are the rules of the story thread, again:

1.)  Posts must conform to the following structure:
First - a brief OOC note indicating the location or locations where the post takes place (Adjudicator exterior, main hangar, crew quarters, a particular bar, etc.) and the starfighter squadron or ship's crew section to which the protagonist(s) belong (Medical Section, Vornskr Squadron, Command Section, etc.),
Second - the body of the post,
Third - a closing OOC note incorporating a word count (of the body of the post, not including the OOC notes) and a summary of the action.

2.)  There are no length requirements for posts to this thread.  It is recommended that members try for no fewer than 500 words, to help ensure each post is a complete story, with a beginning, middle, and end.

3.)  The focus of storylines in this thread should NOT be combat.  Take advantage of the storytelling potential of a single-ship setting that’s a mile long and contains almost 40,000 people and droids.  This is a chance to build relationships between your player-character and other members’ player-characters, even with folks who aren’t in your unit or even your branch of service (Starfighter Corps, Fleet Command, VENI).  Feel free also to develop NPCs here.  Often, official unit missions are action-heavy, with scarce opportunities to role-play deeper interactions.  This thread is designed to redress that imbalance.

4.)  The temptation to god-mode should be weaker with these stories, since they won’t be about combat, but still: make sure to justify your authorial choices.  Answer why and how: why is your character doing what he or she is doing, and how does he or she do it?  If it sounds far-fetched to you – even a little bit – then go back to the drawing board and rethink the scenario: brainstorm ways to write the kind of exciting plot you crave, without violating verisimilitude.  This thread is about writing believable, slice-of-life stories featuring military personnel on active duty deployment; realism is paramount.

5.)  Before using another member’s player-character, as well as any NPCs he or she invented/developed, you must obtain permission from that member.  OOC communication is highly recommended to coordinate cooperatively-written plot arcs.

6.)  Writing collaboratively is HIGHLY encouraged.  Seek out your wingman or crewmate, and whip up some interpersonal conflict or a storyline where the two characters bond.  Better still, find a Navy member or two who aren't in your unit, and write a few tag-team posts with them!

7.)  You can also write self-contained stories, on your own, in single posts or over the course of multiple posts.

8.)  Time should not be specified too much in your stories on this thread.  Try not to nail down EXACTLY when the events of this thread take place, so that everyone can interact as needed with everyone else.  Use vague language to indicate a rough chronology when necessary (as in, "Ever since the disastrous Battle of Belgaroth, Drac had been suspicious of his former friend," or, "It'd been long months since Trykon was promoted to Chief of Naval Training, and longer still since he'd flown a starfighter into combat."), but try to avoid definitive statements here (as in, "Three days after the Battle of Abrae, the members of Tuk'ata squadron gathered in the simulator room," or, "The year was 12 ABY.").  Every individual writer getting too specific with dates and times in every individual post will impede the primary function of this thread, which is to allow drop-in opportunities for interaction and joint storytelling, ongoing and at all times, for all members of the Navy.

9.)  Double-posting is still a faux pas, but will be permitted in this thread if 48 hoursgoes by without any activity.  In other words, if you post, and two days later no one else has posted, you may feel free to post again to the thread.

10.)  As ever, have fun.
CNW/CPT Wyl "Trick" Trykon/ISD Adjudicator/TF:A/2Flt/FC/VEN/VE

[SoA][SoV][BWC][NSM][E][NAR][HNS][DSM][SWC][1NS][VC:B][LoM][VC:S][NC][GWC][VC:G][CoB][CC:3][2NS][LSM][VC:E][MSM]
(=*AE*=)(=*SAE*=)(=*TG*=)(=*SCFE*=)(=*FOCE*=)

CM/DJT Trykon/DJO/VEDJ
[This message has been edited by Trick (edited May 10, 2013 5:54:59 AM)]
Gurlanin
ComNet Member

Gurlanin

[VE-NAVY] Leading Crewman

Post Number:  345
Total Posts:  757
  RE: VEN: Heart of the Second discussion
May 11, 2013 5:17:26 AM    View the profile of Gurlanin 
Yay!
Leading Crewman Grent "Gurlanin" Notimo, 58th (Strill) Squadron
Imperial Guardian of the Vast Empire Navy

FM | LCRW Gurlanin | Iron 8 | S:58 "Strill" | W:101 "Blade" | ISD II "Adjudicator" | TF: Aurek | 2nd Fleet | SC | VEN | VE

Imperial Network Star Wars Image Imperial Network Star Wars Image
Imperial Network Star Wars Image

(=TG=)
{GrAt}{AFM}{Infl}{SFT}{Gunn}{Shut}
Serpent
ComNet Member
Imperial Baronet

Serpent

[VE-NAVY] Lieutenant

Post Number:  837
Total Posts:  1214
May 11, 2013 8:32:11 AM    View the profile of Serpent 
I will definitely be diving into this, but only after the shinies for Death are announced.  That way I can work in character reaction and CD like that!
SCAP/LT Pherik “Serpent” Zail / VSD Brilliant /TF:Aurek/2Flt/FC/VEN/VE
[SoA][LoM][NAR][E][CBV][SoV][MiD][1NS][GWC][MC1][VC:E][CC:2][CAR][AOx3](=*Eng*=)(=*BO*=)

"It isn't the killing, you know.  It's the beauty of battles that I love - the choreography and the challenge of executing everything
just right - and the challenge of matching your wits against a capable opponent." - Gilad Pellaeon
Avalar
ComNet Member

Avalar

[VE-DJO] Initiate
[VE-NAVY] Petty Officer 2nd Class

Post Number:  505
Total Posts:  786
May 11, 2013 11:31:09 AM    View the profile of Avalar 
I too am waiting for Sunday for reasons. All of the reasons.
SXO | PO2 Avalar | Iron 2 | S:58 Strill | W:101 Blade | ISD Adjudicator | TF:A | 2Flt | VEN | VE

[SoA]  [MC1]  [CC:W]

TRN | IN Zarya | VEDJ
Trykon
ComNet Marshal

Trykon

[VE-NAVY] Captain

Post Number:  2802
May 11, 2013 3:45:02 PM    View the profile of Trykon 
Sounds good, everyone.  I'm trying to finish up a post today, so there will be some indication of the kinds of stories this thread is for (character development, slice-of-life, non-combat).  But I think that it makes a lot of sense for folks to wait for shiny time, to give them an indication of what ranks they'll be workin' with, and what awards they might be reacting to. 

[SoA][SoV][BWC][NSM][E][NAR][HNS][DSM][SWC][1NS][VC:B][LoM][VC:S][NC][GWC][VC:G][CoB][CC:3][2NS][LSM][VC:E][MSM]

CM/DJT Trykon/DJO/VEDJ
Gurlanin
ComNet Member

Gurlanin

[VE-NAVY] Leading Crewman

Post Number:  345
May 11, 2013 3:56:01 PM    View the profile of Gurlanin 
Slice? I'll be allowed to let Grent loose on the computer systems to use his soon to be new found skills?

Or was that a slip of the tongue?
Leading Crewman Grent "Gurlanin" Notimo, 58th (Strill) Squadron
Imperial Guardian of the Vast Empire Navy

FM | LCRW Gurlanin | Iron 8 | S:58 "Strill" | W:101 "Blade" | ISD II "Adjudicator" | TF: Aurek | 2nd Fleet | SC | VEN | VE

Imperial Network Star Wars Image Imperial Network Star Wars Image

(=TG=)
Trykon
ComNet Marshal

Trykon

[VE-NAVY] Captain

Post Number:  2802
May 11, 2013 3:59:28 PM    View the profile of Trykon 
Ha.  I didn't quite mean that, but if you want to work some computer slicing into a plotline, I can't wait to read it.  Just keep it believable, and anything goes. 

CM/DJT Trykon/DJO/VEDJ
Serpent
ComNet Member
Imperial Baronet

Serpent

[VE-NAVY] Commander

Post Number:  844
May 13, 2013 5:25:51 AM    View the profile of Serpent 
Okay, with my wiki and ID line sorted and updated, I'm ready to begin posting again!

I have posted to Heart of the Second.  Its just the first of a multi-part story, and I want to invite others to join me on this one, the more the merrier!  And let me just stress, this invite is open to anyone, not just my normal writing buddies (Trick, Hades, DeepSix), but others who I chat to OOC but whose characters never cross paths with mine (Gurlanin, Avalar, and others).

The basic idea is that there is a droid running about the Adjudicator having recorded something it should not have.  I need it caught and wiped, and I'm looking for volunteers to help me.

The original idea was that the droid would be an actual enemy espionage droid, but that's a little too much like an actual VENI mission.  Thats not what HotSec is for.  The stakes here is not about saving the ship or winning a war, but simply about helping saving some poor woman's reputation and career.  Who is with me?
SCAP/CDR Pherik “Serpent” Zail / VSD Brilliant /TF:Aurek/2Flt/FC/VEN/VE
[SoA][LoM][NAR][E][SoV][MiD][1NS][GWC][MC1][VC:E][CAR][AOx3][CoB.][NC][CC:3][CNQST](=*Eng*=)(=*BO*=)

"It isn't the killing, you know.  It's the beauty of battles that I love - the choreography and the challenge of executing everything
just right - and the challenge of matching your wits against a capable opponent." - Gilad Pellaeon
Trykon
ComNet Marshal

Trykon

[VE-NAVY] Vice Commodore

Post Number:  2836
May 13, 2013 5:41:19 AM    View the profile of Trykon 
I think it's brilliant, Serpent.  I'll see who you get together for your "team," but don't be surprised if I hop into that storyline at some point.  Trick's not exactly chummy with VENI at the moment, and that might cause him to get interested in this.  Then, if/when he figures out what it's all about really... well, it could all be very entertaining. 
CNW/VCOM Wyl "Trick" Trykon/ISD Adjudicator/TF:A/2Flt/FC/VEN/VE

[SoA][SoV][BWC][NSM][E][NAR][HNS][DSM][SWC][1NS][VC:B][LoM][VC:S][NC][GWC][VC:G][CoB][CC:4][2NS][LSM][VC:E][MSM][CNQST][IGC]

CM/DJT Trykon/DJO/VEDJ
Gurlanin
ComNet Member

Gurlanin

Post Number:  351
May 13, 2013 1:14:58 PM    View the profile of Gurlanin 
That could be fun.
Petty Officer 2nd Class Grent "Gurlanin" Notimo, 58th (Strill) Squadron

FL | PO2 Gurlanin | Iron 8 | S:58 "Strill" | W:101 "Blade" | ISD II "Adjudicator" | TF: Aurek | 2nd Fleet | SC | VEN | VE

Imperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars Image
Imperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars Image [CC: D] [CNQST]

(=TG=)
TosthAaaiser
ComNet Initiate

TosthAaaiser

[VE-NAVY] Chief Petty Officer

Post Number:  106
Total Posts:  232
May 14, 2013 12:48:23 AM    View the profile of TosthAaaiser 
Just put up my first post to the story. I will essentially be running this in parallel with my final level of my Naval Doctor certification, as my PC is a surgeon...

The overall plan is to document the actual examination in the certification posts, while here, I plan on observing how he feels about the examination after certain major points in it. I also plan to do a bit of exploration with the spice ring opening I left in Death.
JC |CPO Tosth “Fishhead” Aaaiser |ISD Adjudicator/TF:A | 2Flt |FC |VEN | VE
TO | CPO "Fishhead" | PLF Cappadocious | VENA | VEN | VE

Imperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars Image

{XenB}

"Win or lose, as long as the fight is worthy, then honor is gained. The glory at having triumphed over impossible odds is what drives me. If there's nothing at stake – your possessions, your life, your world – then the battle's meaningless. It's the true test of yourself – the battle against death... against oblivion."
Trykon
ComNet Marshal

Trykon

[VE-NAVY] Vice Commodore

Post Number:  2850
May 14, 2013 2:23:25 AM    View the profile of Trykon 
Sounds like a good plan to me, Fishhead.  Glad to see people wading in to this thread! 

[SoA][SoV][BWC][NSM][E][NAR][HNS][DSM][SWC][1NS][VC:B][LoM][VC:S][NC][GWC][VC:G][CoB][CC:4][2NS][LSM][VC:E][MSM][CNQST][IGC]

CM/DJT Trykon/DJO/VEDJ
Serpent
ComNet Member
Imperial Baronet

Serpent

[VE-NAVY] Commander

Post Number:  845
May 14, 2013 2:59:49 AM    View the profile of Serpent 
I am working on my next post for this now, but want to hold off and give others a chance to join me.  I'll give it a few days, during which anyone who wants to join my search for the droid can PM me or post here to the discussion.  Once I know who is interested I can work you into my next post and this little story can unfold from there!
[SoA][LoM][NAR][E][SoV][MiD][1NS][GWC][MC1][VC:E][CAR][AOx3][CoB.][NC][CC:3][CNQST](=*Eng*=)(=*BO*=)

Gurlanin
ComNet Member

Gurlanin

Post Number:  364
May 14, 2013 4:38:00 AM    View the profile of Gurlanin 
I'm going to wait for my certs to be done, before posting, I think. In the process of writing my tier 2 Top Gun cert, so then Grent can relax on the Adj.

As much as one can relax, being run over by a rogue droid.

FL | PO2 Gurlanin | Iron 8 | S:58 "Strill" | W:101 "Blade" | ISD II "Adjudicator" | TF: Aurek | 2nd Fleet | SC | VEN | VE

Imperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars Image [CNQST]

(=TG=)
Hades
ComNet Marshal
Imperial Baronet

Hades

[VE-DJO] Uninitiate
[VE-NAVY] Lt. Commander

Post Number:  1051
Total Posts:  1245
May 14, 2013 8:06:28 AM    View the profile of Hades 
I hate short posts
Lieutenant Commander Demetrius 'Hades' Aita

FL | LCDR 'Hades' | Silver Nine | S:46 Jexxel | W:101 Blade | ISD Adjudicator | TF:A | 2Flt | VEN | VE

CNT | LCDR 'Hades' | PLF Cappadocious | VENA | VEN | VE

Gurlanin
ComNet Member

Gurlanin

Post Number:  365
May 14, 2013 8:16:49 AM    View the profile of Gurlanin 
600+ words isn't that short, Hades ..

Imperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars Image [CNQST]

(=TG=)
Hades
ComNet Marshal
Imperial Baronet

Hades

[VE-DJO] Uninitiate
[VE-NAVY] Lt. Commander

Post Number:  1052
May 14, 2013 8:23:49 AM    View the profile of Hades 
I try and keep all my posts above one thousand words

FL | LCDR 'Hades' | Silver Nine | S:46 Jexxel | W:101 Blade | ISD Adjudicator | TF:A | 2Flt | VEN | VE

Serpent
ComNet Member
Imperial Baronet

Serpent

[VE-NAVY] Commander

Post Number:  847
May 15, 2013 2:59:22 AM    View the profile of Serpent 
Had some interest from Gurlanin on this droid hunting story!  There is no mad rush on this one (and I know people want to take a bit of break and/or work on skills and certs) so others still have time to voice interest before I move the story along this weekend.

Saturday or Sunday I'll be doing a 'briefing post', where Serpent speaks to the volunteers and smoothly lies er.... explains why the droid needs to be found.

After that people are free to write their droid hunts!  Remember, take HotSec as a chance for some RP and exploration, really get into the feel of life on board an ISD.

After a bunch of 'hunting posts' we'll decide who actually finds the droid and then wrap the arc up in a post or two.

Like I said, nothing rushed, nothing too involved, just a bit of fun this one!

Gurlanin
ComNet Member

Gurlanin

Post Number:  391
May 15, 2013 8:12:25 AM    View the profile of Gurlanin 
Posted a lovely bit of character development there.

Not bad for an on-the-fly bit of writing.

(=^TG^=)
{GrAt}{AFM}{Infl}{SFT}{Gunn}{Shut}{Slice}
Taltos
ComNet Novice

Taltos

Post Number:  41
Total Posts:  47
May 15, 2013 3:53:37 PM    View the profile of Taltos 
I'd be happy to participate in the Droid hunt! Busyness issues are preventing me from getting my certs written as quickly as I'd like - it'd be fun working off someone else's lead on a more lighthearted story.

Taltos is the owner of a rather hostile and misanthropic astromech, R5-N4; feel free to work him into the story as a suspect or culprit. My only condition is that if he is the culprit, he receives only a recent memory wipe and not a personality matrix wipe.
He may be somewhat... (ahem) difficult, but T wouldn't change him for the world.

By way of description he's white, black, and grey-red with a great deal of denting and carbon scoring, as well as heavily modified. Just ask if you want more details or specifics to work with!

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100311025934/starwars/images/7/7c/R5-K6.jpg
What R5-N4 might look like if he'd allow anyone to give him a proper cleaning.

FM | PO2 Taltos | Iron 4 | S:58 Strill | W:101st Blade | ISD-II Adjudicator | TF:A | 2Flt | SC | VEN | VE
Imperial Network Star Wars Image Imperial Network Star Wars Image Imperial Network Star Wars Image Imperial Network Star Wars Image
[SoA][*CO*][MiD][CC:1][CNQST]
{GrAt}
[This message has been edited by Taltos (edited May 15, 2013 4:28:30 PM)]
Gurlanin
ComNet Member

Gurlanin

Post Number:  396
May 15, 2013 4:38:34 PM    View the profile of Gurlanin 
I've got an R2 unit, called R2-G7, that I'm planning on involving as my search companion.

Also, as good a question to ask here as anywhere: I recently aquired a sonic screwdriver from Imperial Stores (mainly for teh lolz). Would I be able to use this in stories? I ask, because although it is not canon, it is able to be bought from Imperial Stores. Does that make it VE canon?

(=^TG^=)
Trykon
ComNet Marshal

Trykon

[VE-NAVY] Vice Commodore

Post Number:  2873
May 15, 2013 4:48:36 PM    View the profile of Trykon 
I mean, it's a pretty harmless in-joke.  I wouldn't recommend making the tool the central plot point in a story (mostly because, who'd want to read that?), but a throw-away reference every now and then to your "sonic screwdriver" seems pretty benign.  In general, though, purchases at the Store are considered to be sort of separate from VE canon.  Oftentimes, items bought eventually do make their way into personal stories, but you develop an intuitive sense of when that sort of thing is appropriate, the longer you stay in the VE. 

Also, Serpent: feel free to use Triz Bukk, my Zabrak NPC Engineer, and her two droids.  Cutie is a big binary load lifter.  Jayne is the snooty Verpine-built protocol "worker" droid.  They appeared in Death, toward the end.  Jayne was the way we knew the Verpine were waiting for a sign, to switch sides.

CM/DJT Trykon/DJO/VEDJ
[This message has been edited by Trick (edited May 15, 2013 4:53:06 PM)]
Gurlanin
ComNet Member

Gurlanin

Post Number:  397
May 15, 2013 4:56:50 PM    View the profile of Gurlanin 
I thought as much. Thank you for the clarification.

/me goes off to buy a more realistic tool

(=^TG^=)
Avalar
ComNet Member

Avalar

[VE-DJO] Initiate

Post Number:  523
May 15, 2013 5:18:14 PM    View the profile of Avalar 
Welp... there goes the ties between Strill and Jexxel. I think we're going to see a lot of interesting interactions between Makenna and everyone else from here on out.

Also as far as the droid hunt.... I may be interested in that. Though I think my candidate might be Tamran. He needs something to do.
SCO | CPO Avalar | Silver 1 | S:46 Jexxel | W:101 Blade | ISD Adjudicator | TF:A | 2Flt | VEN | VE

[SoA]  [MC1]  [CC: W] [DSM] [CBV] [CC: D] [CNQST]

TRN | IN Zarya | VEDJ
Serpent
ComNet Member
Imperial Baronet

Serpent

[VE-NAVY] Commander

Post Number:  852
May 15, 2013 5:31:14 PM    View the profile of Serpent 
Welcome aboard Taltos!  And Trick I'll definitely use your NPC! 

I was going to have Serpent recruit a group of people, but only actually name a few in my 'briefing post'.  Avvie, I can avoid mentioning either you or Tamran directly, thus leaving you free to use either in the subsequent 'droid hunt' posts.  Sound good?

Gurlanin
ComNet Member

Gurlanin

Post Number:  399
May 15, 2013 6:11:27 PM    View the profile of Gurlanin 
I am fine with that.

And I'm sure Grent will still be nice towards you, Av. He's got a bit of a soft spot for his first Flight Leader and SXO.

Imperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars Image

(=^TG^=)
Avalar
ComNet Member

Avalar

[VE-DJO] Initiate

Post Number:  524
May 15, 2013 6:16:21 PM    View the profile of Avalar 
Aye. I like that idea, Serp.

D'aw. I hope Grent and Makenna can still talk to each other. Goodness knows she needs some peace right now.
SCO | CPO Avalar | Silver 1 | S:46 Jexxel | W:101 Blade | ISD Adjudicator | TF:A | 2Flt | VEN | VE

TRN | IN Zarya | VEDJ
Hades
ComNet Marshal
Imperial Baronet

Hades

[VE-DJO] Uninitiate
[VE-NAVY] Lt. Commander

Post Number:  1072
May 15, 2013 6:26:06 PM    View the profile of Hades 
Just wait till she meets her new FL...

Trykon
ComNet Marshal

Trykon

[VE-NAVY] Vice Commodore

Post Number:  2877
May 15, 2013 6:31:40 PM    View the profile of Trykon 
I really wasn't expecting HotSec to start out quite so similar to an Imperial-themed daytime soap opera, but I'm glad to see it's popular.  Lol.

I guess everyone needed an opportunity to do some relationship-based interpersonal drama, after all the high-stakes war-fighting on a Galactic scale.  Hehe.

CM/DJT Trykon/DJO/VEDJ
Avalar
ComNet Member

Avalar

[VE-DJO] Initiate

Post Number:  525
May 15, 2013 6:40:04 PM    View the profile of Avalar 
Hades if we're making that arc a reality.... oh dear.

Well Tryk.... you did title it HotSec. I'm not sure we are so mature as to resist that temptation >.>

But I promise, aside from whatever Hades might be planning and some stuff from Tamran, that is the most extreme you'll see from me.

TRN | IN Zarya | VEDJ
ComNet > Imperial Navy > Archived Navy Main ComNet > VEN: Heart of the Second discussion  |  New Posts    
  Pages:  [ 1 2 3 4 ]   

All times are CST. The time now is 7:56:37 PM
Comnet Jump:

Current Online Members - 0  |  Guests - 134  |  Bots - 3

< Contact Us - The Vast Empire >