Communications Network
Vast Empire  -  New Posts  -  Search  -  Statistics  -  Login 

ComNet > Stormtrooper Corps > Archived Stormtrooper Corps Story Board > Blanchard Roasting on an Open Fire - RAIDERS

Pages:  [ 1 2 ]   
Author
Topic:  Blanchard Roasting on an Open Fire - RAIDERS
Garryll Gates
ComNet Expert

Garryll Gates

[VE-ARMY] Captain
[VE-DJO] Adept
[VE-ICS] Privateer

Post Number:  1715
Total Posts:  2159
  Blanchard Roasting on an Open Fire - RAIDERS
December 4, 2011 5:17:05 PM    View the profile of Garryll Gates 
Tadath, seat of the Vast Empire’s government and military, was the center of the Vast Empire’s power and influence, commerce and its most important world. Its defenses were the heavier than any other world in VE space, and it served as the headquarters of the VE’s elite Stormtrooper and Navy corps. But one cold winter, during the shortest days, Tadath’s defenses had been cracked, and its capital, Sianat, had been bathed in blood.

All of this had been the work of J’ak Frozt and his organization. It was only thanks to the actions of Phoenix company that Tadath itself was not permanently crippled by the cyber-attack that had briefly taken down the vaunted defenses of the Empire’s most important world.

Stormtrooper Wing: Fort Sexton, Tadath

“So you ordered the destruction of a highly valuable research station? And you actually did it, Commander?” the scientist demanded, his own uniform’s captain’s bars conflicting with his non-military regulation hair cut and thick spectacles and nervous demeanor. “That station was making crucial developments in the analysis of dozens of new species! And you burned it up and threw it all into a fire like it was nothing, you barbarians!”

Gates rose from his chair, but Havock shook her head imperceptibly. The three of them - Havock, Vask, and Gates were all in dress-uniform and were present for the ‘debriefing’ of the Observation Platform 86-Alpha mission. Rarely had Garryll been present for a debriefing that included the science branch of the Army as well as both Stormtrooper and Navy upper-ranks.

“Captain, please refrain from insulting the soldiers,” said the Stormtrooper Colonel who was presiding over the debriefing, stressing the word ‘soldiers.’ “Continue, Major.”

“Most of the details are classified, Colonel. Commander Vask responded to our call, and used his initiative to help us complete our objective,” Havock said.

“You had orders to destroy the station?” asked the Navy Captain, sitting beside the Colonel.

“Our objective changed when the station became unreclaimable. Almost every mission has a contingency plan. It was all we could do to escape with our lives, sir,” Gates inserted. “If you’ve seen the vids and our after-action reports, I think you’d agree.”

“I have,” the Stormtrooper officer said, “And-”

He was interrupted by a knock on the conference room door. “Enter.”

A pair of tall men entered the room, uniforms unmarked except for their rank pins - a lieutenant and a commander. “Major Havock? Captain Gates?”

The two of them turned around.

“We’re rather in the middle of something, Commander,” the Colonel said.

“I have the authority to interrupt this, sir,” the man replied. He handed the Stormtrooper a datapad and gestured for the Phoenix officers to follow him.

“What do you need, Commander?” Gates asked as they left the conference room.

“I’ve got a problem that Phoenix Company is...uniquely qualified for,” the man replied. “My name is Orr. Lieutenant Andrews is one of the ARC controllers. I’m the leader of ARC squad Iota.”

“ARC? What do you need with us Stormtroopers?” Havock asked.

“I’d prefer to only explain it once; I’ve gathered the Squad leaders of your company,” Orr replied.

They entered into the Phoenix conference room. Joamer, Brightstar and Skarr stood up as they entered. Skarr gestured at the two men. “What’s up with this, Major?”

“We’re ARCs, Sergeant Major,” said Orr.

The SLs had a visible response - but it was more surprise than anything. They looked at Havock for any hint of why they were here, but all she could do was shrug.

“I’ll lay it out straight for you, Phoenix. ARC Team Theta investigated a tip, and they ain’t back yet. They haven’t even written.”

Havock stiffened at the news, but it only drew a nervous chuckle from the SLs. Garryll spoke up. “You sure it isn’t just a communications problem?”

“It’s been two-and-a-half weeks since the last communique. Even bad comms can’t cover that.”

“Okay, then,” Havock said, some agitation creeping into her voice. “How did Theta get deployed somewhere even an ARC team can’t fight out of?”

“Simple. We had someone tip us off. Andrews - get Ms. Sleicer, please,” Orr said, gesturing at the door. The man opened the door and walked out of the room, returning a moment later with a woman in tow.

“Jana Sleicer, tech expert, and the reason Theta was deployed,” Orr said, as the woman walked in. “She’s...worked with Phoenix before.”

“I was abducted, Commander. Jester squad took me hostage when Stormtroopers invaded a base on Anteevy. It just so happens that that same base is now active again.”

“Anteevy... what did we go there for?” Gates muttered.

“J’ak Frozt,” Orr said, flatly. “Created a program that was capable of taking down the Tadath Defense Grid.”

“Tough customer. What’s the relationship?” Gates asked.

“I’m not sure,” said the woman. “But look - whoever it is used to be there, in the organization.”

“What’s this new organization want?” Skarr asked.

“Theta’s initial findings suggest some sort of strike against the VE. They went in before discovering anything other than the name of the organization - ‘Blanchard,’” Orr said. “We’re pretty sure Theta’s been captured. We need someone to go in, get them out, and take this ‘Blanchard’ apart, base and all - since you folks seem to be experts at leaving bases in pieces when you leave, this shouldn’t be an issue.”

*** *** VSD Dominion, Anteevy Space *** ***

The Victory-Class Star Destroyer dropped back into real-space with a flicker. Onboard, its passengers - the Stormtroopers of Phoenix Company - stood up and got their stuff together.

“This is the Commander speaking. We have reached Anteevy. Prepare to disembark.”

OOC:

The HSC has arrived!

Phoenix company is assigned to infiltrate the base and then go about various objectives.

All squads will be opposed by mercenaries with full-body armor, usually in black, with good training and weaponry. Each squad will have one or two ARC troopers attached to them. These troopers will be competent, but they’ll be new ARCs

As usual, please stick with squad gear, and get any other items approved by your SL, and let the SL/ASL post first, unless you get permission.

First Objectives:

Raiders: dismantle their communications and power systems. enter via the surface loading dock. Expect resistance in the loading dock.

Company Adjutant of Phoenix Company | Platoon Commander of Wildcard Platoon | Elite Squad Leader of Blackjack Squad | Acolyte of the Dark Jedi Order

ESL/1LTGarryll Gates/3SQD/1PLT/1COM/1BAT/1RGT/Tadath/VEA/VE [RoM][ICE] [IH] [CCA] [BC] [SRP] [AS-1] [ES1] [CoS] [EW1] {RESx3} [ESC09] [RoTx2] [CRoS] [AoT] [CoZ][CoDS][VT][CRoM][KAD](3.1)(1.1)

TRN/AD Gates/Lopen/VEDJ
For Tadath, for the Empire.

Imperial Network Star Wars Image
[This message has been edited by Garryll Gates (edited December 5, 2011 5:29:42 PM)]
Joamer
ComNet Member

Joamer

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major

Post Number:  715
Total Posts:  997
  RE: Blanchard Roasting on an Open Fire - RAIDERS
December 4, 2011 11:45:53 PM    View the profile of Joamer 
He could hear the light breathing of his squad in the small room. The lights were dimmed down as the holovid replayed a recon tape of the Anteevy base. He knew his squad was ready, even after the nearly disastrous mission on Observation Platform 86-Alpha. Everyone still carried the wounds sustained from that mission, he could tell a few members still favored certain parts of their bodies. Regardless of all that, they were ready.

"From what we can gather, the guards are well trained, well armed, and highly resourceful." The older of the two newest members of the squad said as the holvid showed an graphical overlay of the base. "Your... our mission is to go through the front loading dock."

Joamer grumbled quietly as did a few of the older members of his squad. "Always the same, get the squad who are designed for infiltration and make us break down the front door." He closed his mouth for a moment as he shook his head. Looking back at the holovid he said "Standard loadout boys and girls, go for the heavier S.C.O.P.E gear this time, I think we are going to need it. One personal weapon each, anything more exotic clear it by me first. Those of you cleared to use heavier weaponry please consider bringing it, this ones going to hurt."

He turned back to the holovid as the squad made their way out of the room. He looked over at his assistant squad leader and good friend Jaenna. Ever since their friendship had disintegrated a few years back they had worked to get back up to the friendship they once had. Now they had finally formed into a seamless unit, one capable of leading this unorthodox squad through hell and back.

"What are you not telling us Sergeant?" Joamer said a minute later as he switched views on the holvid. "This place does not sit right at all with me. I know ARC training, no way should a bunch of guards take out a whole team. Not without some communication getting through first, unless something went very wrong."

"Or they were betrayed." Jaenna completed the sentence as he starred at both of the young ARC troopers.

He did not move his hand closer to the particle magnum that sat on his hip, but his body changed as he noticed both of the ARC troopers take offense to her statement. The atmosphere in the room seemed to grow very heavy quickly as the two sides looked each other over.

"We both know everyone has their traitors, even in the ARCs. To deny it would be foolish, and very costly. Right now we don't know what has happened, so we can't rule out anything." Joamer said quietly as he looked back to the holovid. After a moment he said "On this mission you two will answer to me, and to my second here. If you hesitate to follow my or her orders for even an instant I will shoot you. This is war time, I have the right to be judge, jury, and executioner. If you think I won't do it, just ask Havock. I've been demoted in my career three times now."

He could feel the seconds tick by as he continued to study the images on the holvid. After a moment Jaenna stepped up next to him and tapped a spot about five klicks from the base. "If we come in low, have the shuttle land here we can hump it the rest of the way." She seemed to be ignoring the two men now, giving them even more reason to glare at her.

Joamer looked up at the two men still standing in position now glaring at both of them. He knew they had hurt the pride these boys felt in being an ARC trooper, but he did not care. His squad came first, and if some pumped up hotshot got someone killed he would have his revenge. "You two go get your gear, we leave in one hour." He said offhandedly. Until they had proven to him they could be a RAIDER he would treat them like a new recruit. He hated tag a longs, they always got someone hurt. Even well trained ARC tag a longs.

He heard both men leave a few moments later. Shaking his head he breathed out slowly as he looked over at Jaenna. "You know, sometimes I wonder why I let Ayme leave in the first place. I should of tied her to that truck and forced her to stay with the squad during Thyveck." Grinning at the face Jae had suddenly made he said "No, don't even say what is on your mind. I really don't have time for that right now."

"We should of lost someone on 86-Alpha, one of us are on borrowed time. We've both been doing this long enough to know it." Jaenna said a minute after she half playfully punched him in the arm.

The mood in the room changed to somber as he shook his head. He knew it was the truth, all of the squad was battle hardened and experienced. He still knew they were going to lose someone eventually, too many dangerous difficult missions in a row and people get tired, worn out, and begin to make mistakes.

He sighed slowly as he turned the holovid off. He knew the day was coming when he would have to bury one of his squad mates. It had started as just squad members, now after so many missions together he called all of them friends. Even the more unstable members of the psychotic family he called home.
Joamer Tremaine Reistlin
Sergeant Major, Squad Leader
Raiders Squad, Wildcard Platoon, Academy Staff

SL|SGM Joamer|2SQD|1PLT|COM|RGT|BAT|VEA|VE
AS|SGM Joamer|STCA|VEA|VE
[ES1]x2 [EW1]x2 [EW2] [LoR] [BoH] [AS-H] [AS-1] [AS-2] [AS-3] [AS-4] [SCA] [DoH-P] [BC] [RoT] [KAD] [AoT] [IH] [VT] [ESC09] {RES} (5.1) (6.1) (A5)
In memory of Ghost squad, we will never forget.
StarFruit
ComNet Member

StarFruit

[VE-ARMY] Gunnery Sergeant
[VE-ICS] Privateer

Post Number:  463
Total Posts:  799
December 5, 2011 7:50:02 PM    View the profile of StarFruit 
Smoke lifted from the lit end of her spice filled 'Blaster, gathering in a small cloud of sweet smelling fog around her head. Luckily, she had gotten into the habit of keeping some of the 'Blaster tobacco in the bit of rolled and filtered paper, so not to entirely ruin her career. The look in her eyes was... blissful, her mind unaware of the sighing and nervous jitters that the others in shuttle had taken to. To her, this was just another missions whose beginning would be the end of the laced stick that hung lazily from her lips. Call it tradition, call it a habit, but whatever someone else would call it would most likely be wrong in their assumption.

It was her wall, her mask, the bindings that kept her mind from going back to that unruly place it used to be. The spice was her control, the only thing that, for the past couple of years, has been able to keep the woman in the semi-normal state of mind her friends, Officers and Squad mates expected her to be in.

Her first mission back in the squad had been the one with all of those... mutts running a muck on the station. She had gotten hurt, as well as her other Squad mates. She had lost it a couple of times, unable to keep her mind in the fight as a Trooper of the Vast Empire, and just let loose. The mission had been close, but they still got home safely right? A sigh touched her lips as she took another drag, disappointment sparkling in her one good eye. It may have been a victory for the Squad and for the Empire, but... to her it was a total loss. She hadn't been able to keep her cool the entire time, and therefor had gone against a promise she had made to herself before even setting foot back  on Tadath.

"Stand up."

The voice was gruff, low, almost a whisper, but even Jae knew that the tone was meant for her and her only. She looked up, her one good eye thinning into a glare as she looked at Joamer. Scoffing, she simply looked back down, taking another drag from the spice that would inevitably keep her mind under control until, at least, the first objective was completed.

Joamer's voice adopted a soft growl. "Up, now."

This time, Jae stood, her good eye narrowed even further as her lips pursed in her obvious annoyance, spice stick still hanging from them lazily. "What do you want? I'm trying to relax before we get on-world."

In one swift movement, the Squad Leader reached forward, snatching the stick from betwixt her lips, placed it in his own and took a long drag, his own eyes still on the other woman. She stood there, mouth slightly ajar and eyes wide, if only for but a moment, in her soft shock at what Joamer had done. "Wait there's-"

"I know." He took the stick from his lips, smoke slowly lifting from his mouth and adding to the already thick and sweet smelling cloud that hung around them. He held the 'Blaster in front of her face and crushed it in his hand, the spice and small bit of tobacco that had yet to be lit falling to the shuttle floor. A moment later, the same hand grabbed Jae's shoulder and slammed her against the wall of the shuttle, enticing a pained squeak to come from her.

"What the kriff, Joa! You have no idea how-"

"Shut it, Jae. I've been failing you, as both a Squad Leader and as a friend. This missions is going to be one of our toughest. I need my second in full control. I need my friend here."

Jae's eyes still held the slight surprise of what he had done not a moment before: not only did he crush her spice stick, but he had taken a drag of it himself. This alone set her face into an expression of clear anger. "You hypocrite. You took a drag, too." The woman shifted her shoulders against the steel wall of the shuttle, grumbling slightly as she realized that Joamer's grip would not let up until he heard what he wanted to hear. "You want me in full control? That keeps me in full control. That is what has kept me from leaving again." The woman growled, her lips twitching as she fought the rather carnal instinct of snapping her jaws at Joamer's face.

Her Squad Leader just kept looking at her, his own eyes still narrowed and a... disappointed look to his face. "I just want you to try." His voice had grown soft, despite his hard expression, and it was his voice that made Jae's shoulders relax and her good eye lose all of its anger. Seeing this relaxation in his friend, Joa released her and took a step back, a soft sigh touching his lips. "Just be glad I'm letting you keep the rest of the pack that you have stashed on you." And with that, he turned to the rest of the RAIDERS that sat scattered about the shuttle, all dealing with their own nervous ticks. "Alright, we're coming in for landing soon. Get your gear ready."

As Jae watched her Squad leader walk back to where he had been sitting, sit down and finish up the cleaning of his chosen person weapon, the woman felt her fists close so tight to the point where, if she hadn't been wearing the black gloves, anyone could see just how white her knuckles had been. The anger began to rise into her throat, boiling and singing the sides of her mouth as her lips twitched and her good eye narrowed to a thin slit, glaring at anything that may cross her path of vision. It was the simple touch of a hand on her shoulder, and the voice of the guy who she had, somehow, befriended not too long ago.

"Oh well that sucks." Heliwer spoke with a somber tone as his eyes looked down at the crumbled and crushed bits of paper and spice.

Jae scoffed, her fists finally relaxing from the balled state as she swiped the crushed bits along the ground with her foot. "No kidding. Stupid asshole doesn't even know what he's done."

"What has he done? Other than kill your high."

"Quite possibly doomed the squad..." Her voice trailed off as she turned away from Heliwer and took the few steps back to the seat on the bench she had occupied. There, she strapped her Treppus-II blades to her back, as they were normally seen, attached her DC-15s pistol to her right side, and strapped her prized StarSlasher to her other side. As a final preperation she picked up the messenger bag that sat on the bench and opened it, peeking inside to make sure her Technitian gear was still there and all nice and intact. With a smirk she reached in and counted the EMP grenades that she had finally received the certification to use. "Ohhhh these guys are going to be fun to play with." She took a few out and hooked them to her belt next to the thermals that were already there.

A moment later, and she felt the shuttle shudder slightly, gears whirring loudly and the whole mess of a thing creaking before it came to a halt entirely. "We're here, boys and girls. Helmets on, environment regulators set to warm and toasty." Jae said as she squeezed her helmet over her head, grumbling softly as she fought with it for a moment because of the eye patch that she now had to wear over her right eye.

She heard Mox speak up a moment later. "Warm and toasty? Why? Is it going to be cold?"

As if it were the punctuation to his question the hatch of the shuttle opened, lowering slowly. Everyone on-board felt the sudden rush of cold air, watching as it carried the already raging snow into the shuttle. Jae laughed, turning to Mox. "Oh I dunno, what do you think?"

ASL||Gunnery Sergeant StarFruit||2SQD||1PLT||1COM||1BAT||1RGT||VEA||VE
(5.1)
PCW||Privateer 'Jae'||Broken Bitch||Eyesore||Osk Company
Joamer
ComNet Member

Joamer

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major

Post Number:  716
December 5, 2011 9:52:57 PM    View the profile of Joamer 
He stood at the rear of the shuttle as the hatch lowered slowly. The frozen winter land of Anteevy stood goading them to step off their safe shuttle and into the insanity that would follow. Looking around slowly he watched as snow drifts collected around the lowered ramp as the fierce winds tore through the small clearing they had landed at. Off in the distance he could see the tree line through the white mist that circled around them, the wind seemed to moan at them beckoning with icy fingers to come out of the safety of the shuttle and into the unknown.

He ignored the cold, it felt good to him. Part of him knew he would eventually have to put his helmet on but he welcomed the feeling. Letting his M41-A Pulse Rifle hang from the combat sling he picked up his helmet from the bench beside him and turned to face his squad. These were the worst moments for most of them, the waiting right before the training kicked in and things started moving again. This was the time when even the most well trained snapped and lost their minds.

The cold unforgivable masks of the S.C.O.P.E. armor starred back at him. Through the open commlinks only he and Jaenna had access to he could hear slow and mostly even breathing from everyone. They were his, blood and bone, life and death. He knew they trusted him to see them through everything, so far he had lived up to that expectation. He had bloodied them yes, injured them often. So far everyone had made it back in sort of one piece.

"This mission is going to test us, I won't lie to you about that." No one moved as far as he could tell, but he knew a few of them were grimacing. He could probably point out that ones that were now grinning in anticipation. "No one gets left behind."

Turning around he stepped out onto Anteevy and trotted forward quickly making for the tree line. He knew the pilot was cursing at them for making him wait for so long but he did not care. If would be the only moment during this mission that man was in danger, in ten minutes he would be safely in hyperspace on the way to a warm meal and a soft satin bed.

Through the commlink he could hear the quicker breathing as the squad trotted behind him. Luckily the snow was not deep here, or at least not deep enough to slow them down as they made for the tree line and took shelter in the thin forest.

In his comm link he could hear idle chatter from several of the squad. However one response caused him to second think what he had said minutes earlier. "Frak me man, why did he have to say that. He has never said that before." The response the statement got were less than enthusiastic in return.

Glancing around he motioned for the squad to spread out and take cover. Everyone did so as the area was quickly searched and the places of cover and ambush located and reported in. Through his HUD he could see his squad spread out within a hundred yards of him in every direction. Their breathing was more excited now as the adrenalin was pumping slowly through their bodies.

"Recon has us five klicks north northeast of the base. It's mid afternoon, sun down is in six hours. I want us to hit the loading dock under the cover of darkness for more of a surprise assault." He glanced at the datapad he had taken out of his belt pack and flicked through a few screens before continuing. "I want two recon groups for now, split up as you see fit and canvas this area. Two mile circle in every direction. Any scouts you see report back in, but do not engage. I'll give you the word when to eliminate them."

Hearing a soft beep over the comms that indicated Jae had switched to the private frequency he smiled as he heard her say "Why wait so long? The loading dock will be easy to take, sure we will find resistance being troublesome but we can do it."

"The other squads are hitting the base too, we landed further out so by the time we arrived they would of gone on high alert. If we time our attack much later, we will catch them just slightly off center. It's a bad plan I know, but it's the best I can create in such short notice. We should of been here a week before everyone, this is not how you use our squad."

He looked at the datpad again and read the private message slowly. It made him smile thinking about it, he just hoped it would give him the strength to see this mission through till the end.

OOC:
Quick and thorough scouting trip boys and girls. Then back to camp for some resting and planning.
Joamer Tremaine Reistlin

[ES1]x2 [EW1]x2 [EW2] [LoR] [BoH] [AS-H] [AS-1] [AS-2] [AS-3] [AS-4] [SCA] [DoH-P] [BC] [RoT] [KAD] [AoT] [IH] [VT] [ESC09] {RES} (5.1) (6.1) (A5)
[This message has been edited by Joamer (edited December 5, 2011 10:09:00 PM)]
[This message has been edited by Joamer (edited December 5, 2011 10:10:37 PM)]
StarFruit
ComNet Member

StarFruit

[VE-ICS] Privateer

Post Number:  464
December 6, 2011 5:43:39 PM    View the profile of StarFruit 
"Frak it's cold."

"Oh stop yer whining, Coadie."

The grumble that came from the shivering RAIDER after Jae's tough-love response was racked with the sound of his teeth chattering over the comlink. It had been only a few minutes after Joamer had given the command to do a quick and thorough scouting trip that Coad had spoken up about his environment regulator being on the fritz. The young man grumbled again and moved one of his hands from his rifle to push buttons on his other arm, trying to get the heat in this suit to work. The next string of soft, muffled curse words let every one on Jae's scouting team know that, yet again, he had failed get it working.

Heliwer came to stand a few yards off from Coad, behind a tree, macrobinoulars in his hand. "Maybe we should just call in for an e-vac for him, Jae."

"Nah. He'll be fine. Once we're done here I'll tinker with it." Jae's voice was confident, and yet... there was a slight shakiness to it. Heliwer even saw, as he looked in her direction for a moment, her fists clenching and relaxing, and from the looks of it, she seemed to be breathing much deeper than normal. "Alright, lets keep moving. Circle out. Coad, you're to head East, I'll go West, Heli you have point." She looked to each of her scouting team mates and nodded once before diving into a crouching trot, weaving between trees, her boots crunching down on the snow. As a last thought, she stopped for a moment, and sat with her back against a tree. "Always stay in each others' sights. Got it?"

As she looked around, first to the East, she saw the speck of a black hand raise up from behind a snow covered pile of brush. The ASL then looked towards the North, and there she saw the same type of speck of black hand come from around a tree and give the thumbs up. "Good." A chuckle left her lips and she dove behind a small gathering of bushes.

"Jae, is all of this diving and ducking and crouching necessary? We're white entities against a bunch of snow..." Coadie's voice crackled over the comlink, causing a soft grunt from Heliwer, who seemed to have wanted to ask the question as well before Coadie had beat him to it.

The ASL simply laughed softly and held her macrobinoculars up to her eyes, the HUD of the MBNs zooming in and out, focusing and blurring and making soft clicking noises as they scanned and pointed out each thing their programming thought interesting. They found the small form of Heliwer off in the North, crouching in what seemed to be some sort of animal den. "It's for fun, Coadie. Well at least for me it is. I guess Joamer would say that you just can't be too careful."

There was still a slight strain to her voice, making it obvious to Heliwer that the her mind was already slipping from the grasp of the small bit of spice she was able to smoke before Joamer had destroyed the rest of it. "You never can be too careful when Jae's with us." The man joked, Coadie joining in on the soft bit of laughter that crackled through the comlinks.

"Shut it, Heli." Jae's voice growled through the link.

Heliwer shuffled quietly in his animal den, laying on his stomach as  "Heh, sorry." The man went back to surveying what he could see of the area through his MBNs, wishing he didn't have to wear his helmet so that he could take part in yet another one of those brilliant burning sticks of tobacco.

Coadie had settled down behind his little grouping of trees, his own MBNs up against his helmet and his head moving very slowly from side to side as he allowed the HUD of both his binoculars and his helmet to pick out any irregularities.

Back to the West, the ASL was still silently crouched down in her buches, though she had set down the bonoculars for a moment to take a special datapad from the bag that hung at her side. With the few clicks of a couple buttons, the screen opened and a holo-display came to life. "Guys, the majority of the base is underground. Look for exhaust pipes sticking out of the ground, if you find any, keep note of where they are, because the base's supports would be stronger there in order to keep the flow of oxygen out of danger." Her one good eye looked up for a moment, lifting her binoculars to her face again, eyes adjusting as the gear clicked and whirred.

"Underground?" Coadie questioned over the comlink. "Oh. To keep out of this blasted cold, I suppose. Smart thinking."

"Yeah. The data Rivvett got me says that there should be at least two oxygenation plants in this area. They're heavily guarded." She spoke softly, looking back down to the holo-display on Rivvett's datapad. "Hel, check to your left, Codie to your right. Tell me what you see."

"Looks like smoke or mist or something, nice big silhouette in the distance, too." Jae heard Heliwer report.

"That's what I see over here." Coadie reported back.

Jae smirked to herself, then held the binoculars to her face again, looking out to her left and surveying the area around there. "Data says the loading dock would be over there then. No sign of guards..." There was worry in her voice, and both of her team mates noticed this as well.

"Maybe they know we're coming and they're scared?" Coadie's voice hopeful and joking, and yet his was even strained with slightly worry.

Jae's chest heaved in a great sigh. "If they knew we're here we're in big trouble. Double time back to camp. Lets hope they saw guards."

(5.1)
Heliwer117
ComNet Cadet

Heliwer117

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant

Post Number:  205
Total Posts:  467
December 6, 2011 9:16:34 PM    View the profile of Heliwer117 
If there were two soldiers that he hated the most right now, they would have to be those ARC troopers. They were an unknown factor, people that no one really knew about. When the meeting was over, Heliwer stood up and rubbed his neck, a slight pain shooting up from his back. The fall on the station that alerted the squad to his presence was now coming into effect with multiple other injuries that he staunchly refused to have patched up. Enriko called him sometimes the “Patchwork Man” because of the many injuries that he had suffered, the scars sustained, and the constant refusal to get fully checked out by the doctors on base.

With that, he went off to the armory to locate weapons, ammo, and whatever else he might need. Of course, his two M3 revolvers hung by his side, polished to a shine and loaded with the standard ammo. Unfortunately, since the load out for this mission was SCOPE gear, he could not take his baby: an M-590 with a custom master key attachment. However, as soon as he saw what else was on the list when he got to the armory, he pretty much believed that today was Christmas. He knew he’d take some thermal detonators and charges for whatever got into their way, but the M327 Grenade Launcher practically spoke to him. He gently grabbed the devastating weapon and examined it closely, admiring the destructive potential. His mind set, he grabbed up as much ammo for the weapon as possible and walked out feeling eighty percent happier about his day.

The other twenty came when he saw Jaenna getting on board. The two had gotten into a strange friendship, but a friendship nevertheless, and liked the fact that he could talk easily to her. Honestly, she was the only woman in the whole of the Vast Empire that he would willingly follow orders due to the fact that he respected her a lot. He saw the big vibrobrades hanging on her back as she climbed aboard the shuttle and her shotgun and pistols on her side. As soon as she climbed aboard, Joamer followed close behind and so did the rest of the squad.

Onboard the shuttle, the RAIDERS chatted amongst themselves to pass the time. Heliwer and Jaenna seemed to have the same mind as they both took out cigarettes and smoked them. However, this “idle” time was made a little tense when the squad leader walked over to the assistant. The sergeant noticed Joamer saying things to Jaenna, then the assistant squad leader stood up. He got the idea of why Joa wanted to talk to her. Aside from Joamer and Havock, Heliwer was the only person who knew that the Lung Blasters she carried had spice in them. Surprisingly, Joamer took a drag, then crushed the drugstick. The two spoke to each other, and then he walked away. Heliwer stood up and gently laid a hand on her shoulder.

“Oh well that sucks.” He said in a soft voice. Jae scoffed up a reply. “No kidding. Stupid asshole doesn’t even know what he’s done.”

“What has he done? Other than kill your high.”

“Quite possibly doomed the squad…”

She took a few steps back to her bench and made sure that everything was ready. The half gone cigarette still hung in Heliwer’s mouth when Joamer informed the squad that they had arrived and to put the environment regulators on warm and toasty. The big trooper cursed silently. He hated the cold, abhorred it with a passion almost as much as he hated Mox. Speaking of which…

“Warm and toasty? Why? Is it going to be cold?"

The hatched opened, and bone-chilling cold air swept in, answering the question and making Heliwer groan. I will kill that idiot…

Joamer was the first one out, followed by Jaenna and Heliwer. The “Thumper” was tight in his hands and felt good despite the cold. Heliwer had lived on a lot of warm planets: Nal Hutta and Tatooine to name two. He never liked the cold and never wanted to like it. His hatred for the planet increased as pain shot up through every bone in his body, especially those bones that had been broken in the past (which was pretty much all of them). The pain got worse when he made it to a tree and the momentum of his body carried him into the large plant, causing his body to scream at him for being such a stubborn idiot that he wouldn’t get his injuries properly checked out.

“Recon has us five clicks north northeast of the base. It's mid afternoon, sun down is in six hours. I want us to hit the loading dock under the cover of darkness for more of a surprise assault.” Joamer spoke. "I want two recon groups for now, split up as you see fit and canvas this area. Two mile circle in every direction. Any scouts you see report back in, but do not engage. I'll give you the word when to eliminate them."

After a while, Coadster and Jae went with Heliwer to scout the perimeter. The sergeant could hear Coad grumbling about the cold and the big man chuckled silently.

“Maybe we should just call in for an e-vac for him, Jae." He joked. As Jaenna responded, he noticed the shakiness in her voice. He kept his eyes on her for a moment, then went off on point, following her orders. He took the time to also crack a joke about the assistant squad leader, resulting in him getting growled at.

A few minutes later, they discovered two oxygenation plants in the distance either side of the recon squad and the loading dock. The problem was, however, the lack of guards. Coadster attempted to lighten the situation, but it did not help. The recon squad ran very quickly back to the encampment, ending up with Heliwer tripping and falling into the snow a few feet from Joamer.

“…..ow…..”
TRP/SGT Heliwer/2SQD/1PLT/1COM/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE [ES1][PT] [A5]

"Any problem on Earth can be solved with high explosives." - Valkyrie
Coadster
ComNet Novice

Coadster

[VE-ARMY] Private First Class

Post Number:  41
Total Posts:  190
December 6, 2011 10:59:48 PM    View the profile of Coadster 
Coadster played it down, but truth be told it was frakking cold. The suit, even in it's damned malfunctioning state, at least kept the wind out, which was a small blessing compared to the fact that the suit allowed for little room inside for anything insulating. In fact, he was very much feeling the inadequacy of a single longsleeve shirt, boxers and pants, and was most definitely not feeling anything in his toes. He knew he should be more alert, but damn was it cold.

During the scout out, he was more worried about Jae. She seemed a little... off, even through the com. He wondered if it had been the tiff his two higher ups had been in just before getting off the plane; he had sort of been stuck in his own thoughts at that point, but he saw the end of it, with both looking abashed. Other than the vents, and the lack of guards, there was very little else to be done, and Jae called them back to camp.

They'd made it back in short order, thank Space, and he offered a hand to Heliwer, who'd fallen over in just as short an order. The group chuckled at the misstep, Joamer smiled, and even Heli gave a bit of a laugh. He'd gotten to be a bit different as well. In as short a time as they'd all had, he was sure the Army Man Extraordinaire would be coming back. But it seemed a little more... consigned. As for himself... He didn't know. Heli grabbed his hand.

"Up we go!"

He pulled Heli up to his feet, groaning a bit as his sore shoulder cried out against the weight. He rotated it a bit afterward, not feeling a bit bad about it; after all, there wasn't nearly enough time to heal up completely, for anyone.

"Alright, alright. Are we all in one piece? Composure regained?" Joamer said, replacing the little smirk with his game face. The ARCs seemed rather at unease about the situation, but kept quiet. Coadster wondered if they though the RAIDERS were crazy. Well, who's to say we aren't? he thought to himself.

"Alright, so it seems the coast is clear," Jae said to Joamer. The squad sobered up with the beginning of the report, and Jae continued. "We found two ventilation shafts close by, though, half a mile away from the center of the base. It’s a quicker way in, and it may be safer than knocking. We didn’t see any guards over there, either. Could be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on the circumstances…"

Jae seemed hopeful, barely concealing a smile at Joamer's stone-faced consideration. He was thinking, and hard. Coadster stretched out on a small stump, fighting the urge to shiver. He added on, thinking the pipes may be better. He may have had a problem with it before, but certainly he didn’t like the thought of himself looking like crispy swiss cheese.

“It was the same with us, Joamer. Not a guard to be seen, and that nice pipe, just belching steam…”

“We’re more equipped and prepared for infiltration than blowing our way in…” Jae said, a lilt to her voice. It was still shaky, but Coadster and she saw where the two of them were going.

His lips pressed together, and he looked at his datapad wearily for a second before exhaling a thick trail of steam. He looked at the faces of his squad, and at the ARC troopers as well, who at this point were rather confused. They shifted uneasily from foot to foot, looking at Joamer with an intensity that could be felt through their visors.

"We're supposed to be going through the front doors, but... You know what, I'm not doing my job unless I'm giving Hav a headache.”

The air was filled with an odd sort of elation, a rather interesting thing to be found in the middle of the frozen tundra. The squad smiled with Joamer, and he nodded in consent. “We’re using the pipes, boys and girls."

The ARCs exuded surprise, even through their helmets. They looked at one another, then at the grinning squad before them. Obviously, they weren’t familiar with the RAIDERS’ style. Coadster felt their pain; he was just as confused the first time around. Alas, he could only have so much sympathy, since he was just as ready as the rest of them, toesicles or no.

Karash rolled his eyes, the smallest wry smile on his face. "Why does this situation feel familiar?"

“Wait wait wait,” One of the ARC troopers said, pulling off his helmet to talk. His brown hair was cut short, and his green eyes were full of skepticism. “We’re going to be going in through the pipes? What sort of plan is that?”

Joamer looked at the ARC, measuring him up. “It’s one that’ll hopefully keep my squad from getting harmed, and if we can complete the objective, what’s the difference if we go busting through their defences or getting in through an alternate path?”

The trooper seemed almost embarrassed under Joamer’s gaze. He shifted from foot to foot, and looked at his fellow ARC. “Well, my orders are to follow you. And they still stand, I suppose. It just sounds… Well, crazy.”

The whole squad was looking at him then, and Joamer just gave a smirk at the trooper.

“Welcome to the RAIDERS!”

OOC:
904 Words, I counted!
TRP/PVT Coadster/2SQD/1PLT/1COMP/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE
Joamer
ComNet Member

Joamer

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major

Post Number:  717
December 6, 2011 11:41:05 PM    View the profile of Joamer 
"Mount up everyone, it's time we get this show on the road." Jae said after the whole thing was settled. There was no point in waiting another five hours since they were not going through the front door anymore. "Out by twos Coad, and Hel take point. We will keep a distance of two hundred yards behind you."

Joamer looked up at the sky as the clouds swirled up above. He could feel the wind on his face, and smell the clean crisp air. Sure it was cold, but no colder than a winter on his old home world. To him it felt good, finally for the first time their white armor would allow them to sneak around some. The problem came once they were inside the facility.

Minutes later after the squad had started walking towards the left ventilation station he heard the ARC boys talking softly behind him. "I heard about him, three demotions in his career. Some sort of rogue Black Sun agent or something like that. Mostly cyborg, probably why he can stand this blasted cold so well."

Slowing to allow them to catch up he said "Not fully cyborg, just the arms. Carbonite freezing is a right pain specially after spending about two decades in the fraking stuff. In regards to the Black Sun thing, well... that was a long time before either of you were born." He noticed then that they had stopped suddenly, both of their hands were resting lightly on their rifles as they watched him from within their ARC helmets.

"What are you then, really? So many stories center around this ecliptic group you've assembled it's hard to know what is the truth and what is myth." The younger man said as they both waited. Joamer knew the squad had stopped a short distance away from the three of them, enough to give them the privacy needed to talk.

"I am Reistlin Joamer, Sergeant Major trooper number 36706. Squad Leader, RAIDERS." He said slowly and clearly. His Pulse Rifle was slung behind him on its combat harness, but his right hand rested lightly on the handle of his particle magnum. "Now, are we going to have a problem?"

The seconds ticked by as snow flurries flew between the three men. Off in the distance he suddenly heard a large explosion, it sounded muted from this distance but it caused him to grunt softly. "Sounds like one of the other squads have made their presence known." He said as he turned to look at Jaenna. He gave a nod as she got the squad moving again. "We need to move now."

Turning back around he looked at the two ARC troopers for a moment before saying. "You can either join us, or freeze here. We are on a mission to save your friends if you had forgotten." Turning around he jogged to catch up with his squad.

"You think we can trust any of them?" The younger man said as they watched the squad begin to vanish into the white mist like ghosts.

"Probably not, undisciplined, unruly, insane, and very much crazy. However, also well trained. Spec ops training from a few of the more secretive squads in the Empire too. Joamer is former Wraith, so he knows how to get inside without being detected." Shaking his head the lieutenant was at a loss of what to do. They both knew they needed RAIDERS, but trusting them was another matter entirely.

"You do out rank him, but none of them would follow you. You've seen the way they follow that bloody man, he's gotten them out of hell before. You can't buy that type of loyalty, that's earned from being in hell and surviving it. I've read some of their after mission reports, I know he low keyed what really happened. What they all put down is some frightening stuff." The sergeant said as he looked over at his superior.

"Loyalty is a good thing to have as Squad Leader." The lieutenant said as their decision was made. Breaking into a run both men hurried to catch up to the rest of the squad. For now they would follow orders, if things got dicey and went sideways anything was possible.

"What do you see?" Joamer said quietly into a hand held commlink. He knew Coadster and Heliwer were at the tree line scanning the are around the ventilation station. Coadster was probably half frozen by now, why anyone would consider this weather cold was beyond him however.

"Besides snow?" Heliwer said back a few seconds later. "I see a half frozen Coad next to me, don't think he can work his lips anymore. Part of his face is turning blue too. Kinda amusing to watch though."

Joamer refrained from saying again that this weather was not cold and instead said "How about guards? Any patrols, or signs of patrolling being down?"

"Nothing, not even security cameras. Do however see signs of foot travel, but with this snow fall it is about forty minutes old. Everyone was probably called over to one of the main entrances, guess no one thought anyone would be crazy enough to enter the facility through here."

"Guess it's time to prove them wrong. RAIDERS, double time forward. Take positions near that door, we need to get inside as quick as possible. Light steps, I don't want evidence of us being here to show up." Joamer said as he gave the signal.

Time for the real fun to begin again, maybe even find something to defrost Coadster with. If not maybe we could use his body as a sled, that might be fun. Joamer thought to himself, none the less it brought a slight smile to his lips.
Joamer Tremaine Reistlin

Karash
ComNet Cadet

Karash

[VE-ARMY] Senior Sergeant

Post Number:  294
Total Posts:  425
December 7, 2011 3:50:07 PM    View the profile of Karash 
‘Why must they insist on getting so worked up at the very start of the job? It never ends up well and then they just become disappointed, of course with these sorts of jobs you are usually the one who ends up having to clear up.’ Karash was watching the rest of his squad mates as he usually did just before any sort of action was taken, though he'd been quiet ever since they left Tadath. He had seen Jae and Joamer have a small disagreement; he and many of the squad still had not gotten over their previous mission. He also knew, in one way or another, that the ARCs were likely to get them into some sort of trouble. However, he did not have the energy or desire to annoy anyone with his usual mutterings; no one ever listened, anyway.

‘It always starts off as if it is going to be a cake walk. But they don’t notice things like you; they miss things. That is why they need you. Neither they nor you will admit it but they do need you. Of course it would be nice if they could think something through before acting for once; but it’s not the time of year for miracles. It has always been jingoistic nonsense, you really should have gotten used to it by now... oh bollocks.’

As the medic stood, shifting his feet in the snow, the rest of the squad had moved to enter the ventilation building. As always Karash had been left standing in the same spot like a moron, while the rest of the group ran off into some new form of hell. This time however there was something different, Karash could feel a presence just behind him. They were most probably guards that had seen the squad land and were waiting for their chance. ‘What a fine way to die. I knew it would be all their fault!’ He turned to face his fate and was not sure whether to laugh, cry or shoot.

“You bloody idiots! Fancy just waiting there, you were lucky that I did not try and shoot the pair of you!” Karash was lucky that the ARC troopers could not see his face because he had gone a deep shade of purple.

“We were waiting for you. I wanted to keep you all where I could see you.” The more senior of the two answered in a stern voice.

“I quite agree with you, these people are at best mad and at worst they are morons. It is a miracle any of us are alive. In fact if you want to leave at any point please do let me know, as I might want to join. I cannot stand most of these people.” The ARC troopers now had even more bemused looks on their faces. “Right then, after you, sir.”

‘What a pair of ingrates, they’ll be dead before we leave this planet.’

The squad had gathered round an entrance of some kind and was huddled round, listening to Joamer’s orders. Karash thought it was strange how everyone did seem to genuinely trust one another, after all he had seen them all at their worst; in fact many of them he could not stand personally. Though in situations such as these he felt there was no better group to be around, even if some of them were mad, some bad, and some just downright ugly.

“Boys and girls we are going in, we are going to fan out and we are going to make sure no one knows we are here. If there is anyone about try not to get us in to an all out gun fight just yet, we would not want to ruin the surprise for our friends below, would we?” Joamer spoke with his usually confidence and authority.

‘I bet you half of them are smiling under those helmets, except him. I may have to treat him for hypothermia...’ Karash was fighting his temptation to smile with a grimace.

The squad burst into the building and carried out the drill to perfection, every corner of the surrounding area was surveyed in depth and each member of the squad were ready to deal with whatever came at them; after recent events they were even ready for giant dog people. The corridor that they had entered was more or less deserted, there was not one single sign that anyone was there, at least not to Karash’s eyes. It was far warmer inside and most the squad shifted slightly as they turned off their inbuilt heating and removed their helmets, Coadster seemed to move in jerky jumps; it was almost as if his body was defrosting.

“All clear everybody but stay on your guard.” Joamer ordered as he motioned to Jae. Heliwer and Mox also stayed close to the leading pair.

Karash could see the ARC troopers were still wary but it was Coadster that had caught attention. ‘I suppose I had better go and check if that poor fool is actually alive.’

“Are you alright?” It seemed an odd thing for Karash to ask considering his usual demeanour but there was a time when he did nothing but look after other squad members, one in particular.

“I... I... didn’t know you cared.” The slowly warming trooper.

“I don’t, but I have certain responsibilities.” Karash responded curtly.

“I will be fine now that we are inside, much warmer in here.” Coadster seemed to be back to his usual self.

“We are going this way.” Joamer had once again drawn everyone’s attention. “There should not be any trouble... But now that I have said that, you can bet that there will be.”

“I thought I was meant to be the pessimistic one?” For the first time Karash had interjected; he could only stop himself for so long.

“Keep aware, we have survived worse than this.” The squad leader moved as he finished his sentence.

The rest of the group also moved but Karash as always was slightly behind. Jaenna had waited for the medic and this had put him slightly on edge. The relationship between the two had always been something of respect; they were two very different people who shared common friends and ideals.

“Was his last remark any better for you?” The sentence was humorous but her face remained slightly uncomfortable.

“Oddly enough, it wasn’t.” The two continued to walk in an awkward silence.
SSG_Karash (2.1)
TRP/SSG_Karash/2SQD/1PgLT/1COM/1BAT/1RGT/TADATH/VE [ES2][DOH][BoT][EW2][ES1][EW1][IH]
Havock
ComNet Marshal

Havock

[VE-ARMY] Major
[VE-DJO] Dark Jedi Knight
[VE-ICS] Privateer

Post Number:  1608
Total Posts:  2413
December 7, 2011 10:28:33 PM    View the profile of Havock 
Graded to here
Ayme 'Havock' Katash
Major || Vast Empire Army Executive Officer ||PHOENIX Company Commander ||Osk Pirate Captain || Prefect of the Army Assistant
XO||MAJ HAVOCK||1COM||1BAT||1RGT||VEA||VE
{RES} {MRT} [EW1] [DoH-P] [AS-2] [GC] [RoT] [RoM] [KAD] [GS] [AoT] [HoTC] [CRoM] [CoH] [RCoD] [PoC]  [ESC09]
PRT||CPT HAVOCK||Eyesore||Broken Bitch||Osk Imperial Network Star Wars Image
SM||DJK HAVOCK||Lion Sect||Lopen||VEDJ

A13 Vehicle Mechanic
Beta40
ComNet Member

Beta40

[VE-ARMY] Corporal

Post Number:  351
Total Posts:  362
December 7, 2011 11:03:13 PM    View the profile of Beta40 
He walked alone in the middle of the pack. He had his rifle out and across his chest to be prepared to do what he had been made and trained to do by corps. His face lay emotionless and dull underneath his helmet. Over his time he had grown impervious to most emotional and mental setbacks of his human body. He had been broken and was likely to stay that way.

Over the past few weeks Beta had not talked or acknowledged anyone in his squad unless he was being given orders or was talking strictly business. People no longer wanted to talk with him nor did he with them. The last missions of going through hell and had forced him to feel the only thing he had left in him towards his squad mates and leaders and that was his resentment of them. Although had disliked them he could not help but feel respect towards them as soldiers in combat after the last few missions. Deep inside though he wished that he could change back to where he was before. It was only so long that he could hold to himself.

Stepping carefully on the floor as to not make too much noise he followed closely behind Joamer who was now leading them through what Beta could only think of as an endless maze of hallways and corridors. The squad seemed to be warming up and in general taking their helmets of but Beta left his on. In the background of the comm he could hear the ARC troopers chuckling to themselves about something that only they could find funny.

If someone doesn’t kill them in the next few minutes I’ll have to make sure to do so.

Joamer suddenly stopped moving and crouched down, giving the signal for the rest of the squad to do the same. He moved forward and quietly looked around the corner he was at. The ARC troopers continued joking around and in turn received a dirty look from Jaenna. They looked over at her and almost instantly went quiet.

“Looks like we’ve got some company already.” Joamer said quietly through the comm.

Joamer, in one swift movement, went to the other side of the hall opening. Beta and two of the others did the same. When he did he too got a glimpse of the two mercenaries clad in black that were casually walking the other way, conversing to each other. Joamer and Jaenna coordinated themselves to each side of the opening and each a well placed shot from their rifle, instantly felling the mercenaries.

“We can expect a lot more of those guys,” Joamer said, putting the rifle back on the strap.

“As long as it stays warm in here.” Coadster added.

Most of the squad, looked at Coadster humorously while the ARCs went back to talking between themselves. Joamer sighed at the two before standing up and continuing to lead the squad deeper into the depths of the base.
CPL Beta40 (A3)
TRP/CPL Beta40/2SQD/1PLT/1COMP/1REG/1BAT/VEA/VE [AS-H] [AS-1] [AS-2] [RoM] [EW2] [CDS] [DT]
Coadster
ComNet Novice

Coadster

Post Number:  42
December 8, 2011 4:46:25 AM    View the profile of Coadster 
The pinpricks of the permeating heat bothered Coadster a little bit, making his newly thawing hands feel like they were filled with sand and making them awkward and stupid when it came to holding his rifle. It was also a pain how the rest of him shivered like an epileptic at a strobe convention. Oka, maybe not that bad… He made fun of it, but it was a pain in the ass to be the only one to be feeling the cold. He kept it under wraps, though; complaining would certainly get him nowhere with Jae or Joamer. With anyone, in fact. Except maybe the ARCs.

They seemed to almost want the squad to mess up, and the way they watched all the RAIDERS kind of peeved Coadster. It’s like they don’t know we’ve gone through bootcamp too, He thought as he pushed open a door along the long hallway that made up most of the building and led to what Coadster assumed was the maintenance room. It was empty, but for a large machine that exuded steam. Fighting the urge to go hold it, he swept his rifle around the room, his head swiveling with it. He pushed the comm button on the side of his helmet and spoke in whispered tones.

“All clear.”

He closed the door tightly behind him and continued to the next one. The squadmates had moved ahead, and he made a light jog to catch up. His feet felt stupid, too. He had to slow down and deal with his slogging, still-numb and thrice-damned feet. He only wished he could lean on the walls, which he couldn’t due to the uncovered piping lining and covering every side of the hall, most of them hot as hell, even considering the frightful weather outside. Maybe that’s why it’s so delightful in here…

‘All clears’ came through the mike one at a time, from each of the squad members and the ARC members, too. The rooms were all searched, one by one, the threats neutralized by quiet round or muffled hits to the solar plexus. All was going well, and by the looks of things they might actually have a stealthy way in without actually being compromised. Knock on wood.

“Alright,” Joamer said, pointing to the last door in the building. “Mox and Heli, take it.” The two moved into position, and Heli pushed the door open a tad. Mox pushed the rest of the door quite forcefully with the bottom of his foot, and everyone rushed inside after Mox and Heli. Surprised yelps could be heard, followed by the jangle of metal bits bouncing about as everyone ran to keep the element of surprise useful in neutralizing those inside. By the time Coad loped in, four maintenance workers were detained and effectively silenced, by force or by their own will.

The room was a tasteful one, probably where most of these technicians worked all day. A vast array of computers lined the walls, and on the far wall was the vent, a huge tube that could have fit several Hutts in side by side. Posters lined the walls, most motivational ones that depicted a broad selection of swoopers, animals, fighter pods, and lovely views of mountains and valleys at dusk. The white-collar feel to it was to a point ruined by the tied and gagged employees, but Coadster could deal with it.

A single conscious man was picked out among the rest, and was tied to a chair and placed in the center of the room, Joamer on one side, and Jae on the other. Underneath the helmet, Coadster smirked. No one could pay me enough to be in this situation.

“You seem like a reasonable man, and we’ve got an appointment very soon. Your cooperation would be most appreciated, and if not we can throw you down it and see where it leads together.”

The man gulped and nodded his head, losing the wide rimmed glasses off the bridge of his nose. “I-I-ah-I’ll help.”

“Good. Glad to see someone so cooperative. Seeing as we’re short on time, how about you tell us where this vent leads to below?”

The man stumbled on his words for a moment, before Jae glared and ran the flat end of her fancy knife against his Adam’s apple. He gulped and tried again.

“I-it leads down to the base-“ He stopped to lick his lips. “It leads to the very edge of the base, though, and it’s pretty big down there…”

He stopped when he felt the cold metal of Jae’s knife against his cheek. Joamer nodded at the hostage. He looked at the computers around the group, and his gaze returned to the interrogatee.

“Well, that’s much appreciated, but we don’t need to get qualitative answers. We know one of these computers has a map of the base. And seeing as we need to get to know this place a little more than we do…”

He leaned in close to the man, stone cold stare piercing his soul, seeming to dig beyond what the man could know himself. “Which one is it?”

He shook a little bit, then a lot a bit. A mental battle went on in his head, against Joamer’s stare and the company he worked for Coadster had no doubt. It raged for seconds until, red faced and guilt stricken, he pointed with his head toward one of them. Joamer looked deep into the man for a while longer, then nodded first at the man then at Jae. She went to the computer, splicer in hand, and Mox went to help. The rest of the squad secured the hostages, tying them to chairs with spare Syntherope.

“Someone cut a hole in that vent. Let’s get this show on the road.”
TRP/PVT Coadster/2SQD/1PLT/1COMP/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE (A9)
Joamer
ComNet Member

Joamer

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major

Post Number:  721
December 8, 2011 11:56:04 AM    View the profile of Joamer 
He could feel the air flow trying to pull his hair down the vent into the black depths far below. Bringing his head back inside he looked around slowly for a moment as he thought. Clicking on his datapad he brought up the schematics for the base again as he went over a few ideas.

"Hey Joa hold on a second, I just updated my holomap using their computer system. Let me update yours too." He grunted as he noticed a small icon in the top right of his datapad turn on. It meant a new connection was being made to his system. Jaenna was too good sometimes, she bypassed his security measures rather quickly. Though, she had helped install them months ago.

"How far down does this place go?" Mox said slowly as he switched through various views on the computer.

"Five hundred feet, more or less." Joamer replied as he scanned the complex vent system throughout the building. "Alright, using syntherope we can climb down the fresh air vent to here. Looks like business management or something a long those lines. After that we need to find quiet ways down if possible, computer control is two levels down and the server room in case we need to hardwire ourselves in is one below that."

"Anyone else think this place looks like a damnable hive?" Several of the squad laughed at Coadster's comment, Joamer only sighed and swung his pulse rifle behind him locking it into place. "I also don't know how to climb, just so you know. I take the lift like a normal person."

Joamer and Jaenna looked at Coadster for a long moment while shaking their heads. "You had training in the academy, it will come back to you. Besides, this is actually really fun." Coadster's eyes glared as he watched both of them hooking up a few expert pieces of gear with practiced ease.

"Alright, the vent is wide enough for you to stand in and not hit the other side but just barely. So, try to not go completely insane down here. Give me a two minute window then the next person follows." Joamer said as he attached one end of the syntherope to a support pillar and quickly ran it through a series of carabiners on the side of his body. Attaching a small descender he stepped up to the edge of the vent shaft and looked back at his squad. "I really hope everyone brought something like this." Holding the rope behind him with one hand, he did the same in front of him and leaned down into the shaft.

He could remember the first time he did something like this back in Wraith, it had him more freaked out than being in a firefight running low on ammo. While yes, now it did make his heart pound but it was also exhilarating. Nearly sprinting down the edge of the vent shaft he released a steady amount of syntherope through the descender in his left hand. With his right he kept a steady pressure on the small of his back as a safety measure just in case, and as a way to further control his descent down.

The vent was dark, no lights illuminated his path down. The only thing he had as guidance was the feeling of his feet hitting the wall as he traveled further into the bowels of the planet. Seeing light below him he swung his feet straight down as he released the tension on the descender completely, dropping the last ten feet to the floor below.

Kneeling in one motion he pulled out his particle magnum as he quickly scanned the room, his breathing was loud in his ears as his eyes slowly became adjusted to the lowered light. The room was empty thankfully, tools, shut down monitoring devices, giant filters sitting in racks waiting to be used. It appeared to be some sort of maintenance room, unoccupied at the moment.

Disengaging himself from the rope he moved to the side as he thought over the plans for the vent system. He knew the main vent went nearly straight down till just about here, before it began branching off in other directions for the underground base. What bothered him was there was no grate at all in this room, just an opening. He knew the vent had gotten narrower as he went down, it still worried him that there was no covering at all for this room. He knew it would probably come back to bite him in time, but for now the squad had made entrance.

He saw the rope swinging around more and more but still being cautious he kneeled down at the side of the room out of the light. Holding his particle magnum at the ready he watched as Jaenna very nimbly swung to the floor. He had been with her on several climbing trips, as well as their free running adventures throughout the last few months. It was part of their plan to renew their old friendship, and it seemed to be working quite well.

"As always, you make that look effortless." He said as she brought one of her pistols around to face him. Smiling she disengaged herself from the rope and looked up, then frowned. "My thoughts too, no grating at all down here."

"Our dear sweet Coadie is having more problems." Jae said as she began storing her climbing gear back into a specially designed pack on her belt. Joamer began doing the same as he listened. "He never climbs, so I don't know exactly how he is getting down. I don't carry enough gear to share, I think some of the other members are going to have issues too."

"New training exercise after we got out of this, teach those buggers how to climb." Joamer said as he finished storing his gear. He was grateful Jaenna had taught him how to free run, it was exhilarating moving around a city in that way. Though teaching her how to climb had been interesting, the girl was stubborn for sure. She was convinced free running was the only way to move around, it took months to get her ad-mend her thoughts.

Now she was quite good at it, nimble, and quick. She made it look effortless, and he was proud of her for it. Going to stand by the door he trained one ear to listen for anyone approaching as he waited for the rest of his squad to arrive. He wondered how the half frozen Coadster would make it, part of him expected to hear the boy come screaming down the vent at any moment.
Joamer Tremaine Reistlin

[ES1]x2 [EW1]x2 [EW2] [LoR] [BoH] [AS-H] [AS-1] [AS-2] [AS-3] [AS-4] [SCA] [DoH-P] [BC] [RoT] [KAD] [AoT] [IH] [VT] [ESC09] {RES} (5.1) (6.1) (A5) (A9)
[This message has been edited by Joamer (edited December 8, 2011 12:40:02 AM)]
[This message has been edited by Joamer (edited December 8, 2011 1:30:08 PM)]
Karash
ComNet Cadet

Karash

Post Number:  297
December 8, 2011 5:32:24 PM    View the profile of Karash 
“Oh, good.” The medic spoke as sarcastically as he could.

“What’s the problem now?” Heliwer asked not really wanting an answer. Like most people, they were working out how they were getting down the ventilation shaft.

“The problem is the two hundred foot… no, two hundred and fifty feet drop that we are now faced with. The only people who have any real experience have decided to jump down. Knowing those two, they want to complete the mission themselves.” As Karash was ranting the two ARC troops also jumped down.

He had had basic climbing training at the Academy, but that was years ago and he had done little climbing since. Karash was not the most graceful of people at the best of times; in fact it was a miracle he could function as a soldier at all. He was fairly average in all areas of physical fitness, his military strengths were that of observance, logic and experience; none of which would help him now.

“One of us as got to go. It has been was too long now.” This time Mox had spoken up.

All of the RAIDERS had realised that they could use the rope and the carabiner that was attached to their uniform to slide down the vent. However none of them had quite worked out how to stop before they crashed into the floor at the bottom. Someone had to take the plunge soon, neither Joamer nor Jae were known for their patience.

‘It might as well be you. No one else is going to do it. You are far more senior than Mox, Dusk and  Coadster. Heliwer does not look like he’s relishing in the opportunity to slide into the abyss. It will have to be you.’

“Well, I suppose it is going to be me then.” Karash spoke sternly.

“I am not going to stop you.” Heliwer seemed to perk up slightly, sensing that Karash had no idea what he was doing.

The Senior Sergeant took a deep breath and stepped up to the shaft, “It’s now or never.”

He clipped his carabiner to the rope, took a deep breath and began the descent. He held the rope so tightly that it felt like the thing would melt into his hands; his eyes were also tightly shut not wanting to see the floor before he smacked into it. He was going faster than he expected but he had jammed his feet into the sides of the shaft, in the hope that it might slow him down.

‘This is never going to end well. At best you are going to look like a complete idiot, and at worst you are going to die. What a way to go, left with Joamer and Jae poking my likeness as they would an unwanted doll. At least as we climb or rather we fall down here, there will be no angry dog people waiting at the bottom.’

Karash had almost reached the bottom but he was nowhere near stopping; he was going to hit the ground. He tightened his grip on the rope and he tried to push his feet further into the sides of the shaft. The gloves on his hands were wearing away and his boots were also beginning to fall apart due to the extreme fixing. He was not going to be able to slow to an entire halt. Karash was going to hit the floor.

‘Let’s hope that no one is in the way. You will have to carry out a medical examination on yourself let alone anyone else. Just wait until I get my hands on who ever decided to enter the base like this....’

Karash did indeed hit the floor with a bump. His basic training did tell him how to fall without breaking anything, from what he could feel there was nothing broken but there would be a few nasty bruises. On surveying his surroundings he could see very little of interest; the ARC troopers were grinning, Jae was busy doing whatever it was she did with computers and Joamer had a rather exasperated look on his face. Karash decided now was the time to get up, someone else was likely to fall on him.

“Which one of you two idi... people decided we would get in like that?” Something made a large crack as Karash moved.

“It was the best way to do it. We aren’t Blackjack, you know.” Joamer said with a wry grin.

“If that is the case, then remind me to send in for a transfer when... if we get back.” The medic snapped through pursed lips.

There were noises coming from the shaft but Karash did not want look at his squad mates gracefully enter. He did not want to suffer the indignity of seeing everyone else glide down with poise, to be honest he wanted to see them fall flat on their backsides. Knowing the squad, he would not be disappointed.
SSG_Karash (2.1)
TRP/SSG_Karash/2SQD/1PgLT/1COM/1BAT/1RGT/TADATH/VE [ES2][DOH][BoT][EW2][ES1][EW1][IH]
[This message has been edited by Karash (edited December 8, 2011 5:42:56 PM)]
Heliwer117
ComNet Cadet

Heliwer117

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant

Post Number:  214
Total Posts:  467
December 8, 2011 6:58:18 PM    View the profile of Heliwer117 
“What’s the problem now?”

He did not like heights. Did not like looking down a long way. Vertigo struck him hard even though he could not see the bottom. Fortunately for Heliwer, Karash had gone down first. He hoped that the medic had landed in some humiliating way and that the landing would be somewhat soft. Mox felt that it would be a good time to make fun of Heliwer’s vertigo.

“Hey Heli, you gonna go down, or you gonna stand there like an idiot?”

A punch knocked Mox off of his feet and onto the ground. The enraged sergeant snapped his carabiner to the rope and jumped. This turned out to be a really bad idea. As he went down, he felt the heat of the rope burning through his gloves. A stupid thought then came into his head. Hey, I bet I can light this cigarette again if I hold it close to my hands!

Acting on it, he lent forwards, the end of the cigarette a millimeter away from his hands. When he leaned in that millimeter, however, the rope practically destroyed the stick of tobacco, and the narcotic stick, or what was left of it, flew into his face. He acted on pure reflexes, attempting to wipe the debris from his face, but forgot that one cannot really stop falling with one hand. At this point, he felt that this was the end. His thoughts turned to Nathaniel, his bastard brother that he only just got to know.

Fate turns out to help people in mysterious ways. In some cases, a homeless guy can have a perfect radio voice and get hired. In this case, something more hilarious saved Heliwer from turning into goop. As he slid down, his boots clamped hard on the rope, attempting to stall his decent. This had the effect of the rope wrapping around the boots, and when he was a few feet from the floor, the rope tightened, making him fling upside down and the rope bounce up and down for a second. Joamer, Karash, the ARC troopers, and Jaenna had all turned around to see this spectacle of a two hundred and fifteen pound, six foot three Imperial Stormtrooper hanging upside down by his boots. Not wanting to seem like he was in any peril, he “calmly” pulled out a new cigarette and began to smoke it, arms crossed.

“What?” He grunted. “I’m alright. No harm done.”

Fate also has this unusual friend called irony, wherein that friend was the rope that let Heliwer’s boots slip out and sending the sergeant flat on his face, crushing his cigarette, and emitting a few chuckles and giggles from the group. He stayed flat for a second or two, then gingerly stood up and removed the carabiner. Swiping away the crushed cigarette, he sighed and grabbed one more and lit it, this time with nothing around to screw it up. Joamer and Jaenna, though, could see his shaking hands. He was so close to death, and yet escaped it. Maybe he had a higher purpose in life… Nah.

The ARC troopers continued to snicker silently to themselves. It was quite a hilarious spectacle. Of course, Heliwer did not really think so. He stormed over to the soldiers, eyes glaring down at them. A hand very coolly pulled out one of his revolvers and pointed it at the lead man, thumb cocking the trigger and chambering a round. “You shut the hell up before I kill you on the spot.”

“You won’t.” The man replied in a straight voice. “If you do, you’d get court marshaled, demoted, maybe even booted out of the service.”

It was Heliwer’s time to chuckle. “You think I really care if I get booted? I joined the Vast Empire to exact revenge on the guy who murdered my fiancé about three years ago. I get cut loose from here, I’ll find him myself.”

The tension in the room grew. Joamer simply held his hand steady on his magnum, ready to deal out order if need be. Luckily, the big trooper let out a loud, deep laugh. “You should’ve seen the looks on your faces!”

They both looked at one another and back to the trooper, who holstered his gun and patted their shoulders. “You think I’d waste ammo on you guys?”

At this point, they were pretty sure that this guy probably belonged in a psychward being treated for insanity. Said trooper walked as calmly as he could over to Jaenna and stood next to her. He lent over as if to inspect what she was up to. “Hey.” He whispered. “Hand me one of your smokes. I need one of those ASAP. I feel like my whole body is on fire with pain and my legs and arms are made of jelly.”
TRP/SGT Heliwer/2SQD/1PLT/1COM/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE [ES1][PT] [A5]

"Any problem on Earth can be solved with high explosives." - Valkyrie
Dusk
ComNet Novice

Dusk

[VE-ARMY] Private Second Class

Post Number:  88
Total Posts:  458
December 8, 2011 7:42:22 PM    View the profile of Dusk 
Dusk, after seeing Karash almost fall to his death, decided to find an alternative method down. He stepped over to the captured worker.
“Would you be so kind to point me towards the nearest fusion cutter?” Half-way drawing his Bullstopper.
“Maintenance, third door on the right heading further into the complex from this door.” Said the worker, with the visibly pulsing vein on his forehead.
“Thank you.”
Leaving and turning down the hall, Dusk noticed that the bodies were still there in plain sight. Grabbing one of the mercs he dragged him into a nearby room along with the other. Stepping out, listening for footsteps, the private walked to the third door. The sign on the door said maintenance. ‘Easy enough to find.’

Opening the door cautiously, Dusk stepped inside. Stepping up to the desk with tools on it and a wall with supplies hanging on it, he grabbed the fusion cutter from amongst the clutter. Searching through some of the drawers, Dusk found some magnets. Seeing a metal plate on the wall, he placed the magnet on it. The private tried his weight on it, the thing slowly placed him back on his feet. He grabbed a welding mask of the wall.
“This’ll be fun,” Dusk said a s he loaded the supplies into a satchel he saw in one corner.

Coming back to the computer room, he saw Heliwer had already gone over and Coad still standing there nervous.
“Um… What are you doing with those?” Coadster asked with a befuddled look on his face.
“Climbing materials,” Dusk said quickly then left.

“Sheet metal, sheet metal, where in this sith spawned world am I going to fin sheet metal?” Dusk started saying.
Hearing footsteps coming down a side path, he jumped into an open door. He flipped onto his back and kicked the door closed. Ripping off his helmet, he pressed his ear against the door to see if the mercs noticed. Hearing them pass, Dusk let out the breath he hadn’t realized he was holding. He reached into one of the pouches he had on his belt and brought out his lighter. Flicking the flame on,the privat found the light switch and turned it on. Turning around he saw what he had been searching for the last 5 minutes, Sheet metal.

Dusk brought three sheets back and set them on the floor. Looking up he saw a rope slightly moving. ‘Coad must still be working his way down.’ Dusk thought with a chuckle.

Wiping the hair from in front of his face, the private adorned his welding mask. Placing one of the sheets in front of him, he began to cut the sheets into strips. He left the last sheet intact and created a weave with the strips of metal and attached the two together. He cut an area of so that it would fit a little loose on the edge of the duct. Welding the magnets to the edges finished off the platform he was constructing. Seeing how Cody was still making his way down, Dusk grabbed on of the metal chairs from one of the computer terminals. He welded it on and attached it to the side of the duct.

Drawing his grappling gun, Dusk hooked the line to the edge of the vent and sat on his platform. He started to descend at a good pace. He passed a struggling Coadster and shouted, “Need a lift!”
Glancing over the edge of his platform he saw light, Standing up, Dusk started to dial down the feed of the line. He eventually touched down, and with bemused looks from the rest of the squad. One of the ARC’s were so amazed that the cigarette he was smoking fell from his mouth. Tugging twice on the line caused the cable to start to retract.
“What,” Dusk asked innocently “You said to get down here any way I could.”
“I meant with climbing gear.” Joamer said still shocked by the entrance.

Suspecting that Karash and Heliwer had made less than good entrances, Dusk went over and patted Heli on the back and whispered, “Better luck next time.” To this he glared at him, but Dusk gave a smug smile in return.
Dusk walked over to the ARCs, who he really wanted to punch in the face right then, and picked up the cigarette. “I believe this is yours,” He said as he flicked it onto the trooper’s armor. The ARC lunged at Dusk, but was held back by the other. “Stuck up sith spawn,” he said and then spat at him.
Looking towards the rest of his squad he saw a slight smirk on Heli’s face which he tried to hide.
“Now, what is taking Cody so long?” Dusk asked to break the silence that followed the dispute.

OOC:
Just under 800 at 786, but I wanted quality not quantity.
"Power, Unlimited Power!"
~ Emperor Palpatine

Smile!!! Tomorrow will be worse.

TRP/PVT Dusk/2SQD/1PLT/1COM/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE
[This message has been edited by Dusk (edited December 8, 2011 7:52:38 PM)]
[This message has been edited by Dusk (edited December 8, 2011 7:59:26 PM)]
Coadster
ComNet Novice

Coadster

Post Number:  43
December 8, 2011 9:53:01 PM    View the profile of Coadster 
“So, I’m up next,” Coadster said, looking down the hole before backing up again. It was a long way to the bottom, the squad members assembled at the bottom like specks on the bottom of a tall cup. He breathed in, and then out. How could he have forgotten his climbing gear? He was with the RAIDERS, a group well known for going through ducts and chutes. “At least I don’t have to worry about outshining… Dusk just did a hell of a lot of that for me.”

Damned crazy, really.

“I know, right? Where the heck did he get that idea from, anyway?”

The employees watched him with desperate eyes, like the lone soldier might help them. He wouldn’t, of course; if he did, he’d probably be die on this damned frozen planet. And he did not want to end up as some arctic animals’ lunchsicle. And with that thought, he decided that splatting at the bottom of a hole was better than that. He clipped himself to the rope, a tiny novelty thing compared to Joamer’s equipment but the most binding thing he had on his person. Taking a deep breath and holding on tight to the rope, he sighed and jumped off the ledge backwards so he didn’t have to watch. Wrong idea, he was soon to find out.

The rope slipped through his gloves like water, it seemed, and Coadster dug into the line with his boots with as much as he could. It went dark as he fell away from the gaping hole above, and he couldn’t gauge how fast his descent was at all. The shrill noise of the syntherope against his armor gauntlet was horrendous, like an eternally unraveling zipper next to his ear. He held tighter to the rope, getting his chestplate and thigh-guards into slowing his descent by thrusting his torso toward the thread currently representing his life.

He assumed he was about halfway down when his helmet connected with the wall. He was now falling and spinning, his back connecting next.  Gravity pulled against his grip, but he held on with all his might as the wall pummeled him again against his side. His hurt shoulder was screaming in pain against its misuse in the half-healed muscle. The smell of burning plastic filled his nostrils, and he was once again reminded of his hallucination in Bastion, with buildings and people burning all around him.

The top of the tower fell; fell just as fast as he was going, and he yelled. He tried to remember what it was they told him about landing at high speed, but his mind was whirling so fast he couldn’t catch a thought in that tornado. Every sort of gruesome image popped into his mind that could be done with the wrong kind of landing: broken legs shooting into his torso; spinning and landing on his head; broken ribs, wrists, and nose; and all sorts of other morbid things, all flying by his conscious for a moment before being replaced with another one.
Goddammit, why didn’t I “Oof!” bring the damnedable equipme-e-e-ent!

The light at the bottom was almost upon him, starting to illuminate the sides of the shaft. He noticed it was closer than it was before. Or maybe it was just him getting close enough to slam into it again and spin him like a top. He was slower, certainly slower than terminal velocity. He gauged he was going as fast as a small elevator. But still, it wasn’t slow enough; this was going to be a rough landing.

Suddenly, as he was registering how close he was to the ground, the voice of Sergeant Dirge popped into his head, a gruff voice like a yelling bear with a mouth full of gravel. “Dammit, blondie, let yourself go limp! Do you really wanna break yer goddamn legs? Cause at this rate, that’s what’s going to happen!”

A few feet from the ground, he let go, and felt gravity pull him down. He imagined floating in water, as he did in the training exercises they did before, and released all the tension he could. He hit the ground.

His boots touched the butt plate, and the ground came up to kiss the front of his helmet, momentum forcing his face to do the same to the other side. There was the snap of plastic, and the sound of thunder in his helmet. Then, there was static filling his vision, from the outside in, and a high-pitched sound encompassed everything he could hear. And then, there was…

----------------

“Damn, that looked rough.”

He felt himself being rolled over on his back. A bright light intruded on his thoughtless slumber, an annoying thing that focused first on one eye, then the other. Lemme go to sleep, dammit. He raised his hand to ward it off, and then he squinted in the brightness. A ball of light moved between one eye to the other. Sharpened, defined itself as a flashlight as his senses came back to him. Someone was holding it; Karash sighed with relief as Coad’s eyes met his.

He snapped next to first one ear, then the other. “You can hear me, yes?”

He nodded, relieved that Karash put his flashlight away. Everyone was around him, as he could see now that he wasn’t being blinded. “Wh-what happened?”

“Nevermind that. What is your name?”

“It’s…” Dammit, what’s your name? You know you’re you. Who? It’s somewhere. Think hard. Tyke, Little One, Davout, Coadster.. Coad… Co… Co.. “Cody. Cody Davout.”

Everything flooded in at once, the hazy veil around his thoughts dissipating with those words. Graduate School, first Swooper, Diploma, Birthday, Bootcamp, Transfer, Bastion, Mob, Jaenna’s Eye, First Kill… First Kill… Station, Heliwer, Joamer’sHand(so cold), Beautiful Field, Time, Cold/ARC/AllClear/Vent/Fall-

“Holy Hell!” He looked up sharply, which made his neck tense up and stab pain in between his eyes. “Ow… I made that thing?”

“We thought you didn’t,” Karash said, huffing loudly. He touched Coadster’s forehead, which apparently turned into a raging goose egg in the time he was out. “Well, how are you feeling?”

“I feel like I just fell down a shaft with very little to slow me down.”

He tried to get up, which his shoulder and a few other dangerously sore ribs protested against, and was helped up by Dusk and Heliwer. His legs, while feeling incredibly stiff and almost ham strung, managed to hold him though, so he walked some of the soreness away. Looking down, he noticed the black stripes marring the white of his armor. On his gloves, forearms, chestplate, thighguards and leggings, all the way through the sides of his boots, black lines of burnt plastic detailed the open canvas of his suit arbitrarily, making him look like some sort of classical art print. In addition, on his left leg the armor cracked in the joint behind his knee, probably the only reason he didn’t break a leg. He sighed and grabbed his helmet from the floor, which was dented on the left side and missing the visor. He tossed it wearily to the floor before turning to Joamer, his face deadpan.

“Next time, let’s make a frakking checklist.”

Joamer walked up to him, and smirked. There was a glint in his eye, and he sighed, laughter in it as much as something else. He put a hand on Coadster's shoulder and gripped it firmly.

"Well Coadster, it seems you can now be considered a full member of RAIDERS. Welcome to the squad."
[This message has been edited by Coadster (edited December 8, 2011 11:01:26 PM)]
StarFruit
ComNet Member

StarFruit

[VE-ICS] Privateer

Post Number:  467
December 9, 2011 9:32:27 PM    View the profile of StarFruit 
As she watched Coadster, the woman with the one good eye chuckled, though the sound was still laced with what seemed to be light disappointment. The slight narrowing of her eye probably didn't help.  "Right after we finish up this mission, I'm teach all of you how to do what Joa, Hav and I can do with pure ease." Her tone was... almost dripping with that same disappointment, her lips twitching slightly as she fought to keep some semblance of a smile on her face, now visible since she had attached her helmet to her belt, sick of having to look through that stuffy visor. 

"You mean your free-running thing?" Coadster asked as he looked up from once again staring at the new black, skid mark decorations that adorned his armor.

Again, Jaenna's lips twitched and it caused a barely visible jump from the man who had questioned her. The look that set into her eye now, was one of pure poison, venomous, slowly her eyes began to turn a light shade of steel blue, her original sea-foam color losing it's vividness as the two colors seemed to swirl about each other, a mirror into what the woman's mind, a slightly look at what her emotions were doing with the absence of their bindings. Her hands began to shake slightly, and her breathing grew deeper, longer. She couldn't feel anything, only a burning sensation that was rising up into her throat, stinging the delicate flesh as though it were pure bile and stomach acid determined to break through and leak through her very pores. To her, hours were passing by as she fought the urge to lash out and tear Coadster from the world of the living, but to her squad mates it had only been mere seconds of awkward silence.

A stray hand reached out and landed on the woman's shoulder, squeezing firmly yet gently, calling her back from the whirlpool of emotion she had suddenly found herself drowning in. "Jae, hun..." It was a simple whisper, barely audible to the rest of the squad, though it was just enough to act as the last gentle pull that brought the woman back into reality.

With a snap, surprise in her eye, which was back to its normal sea-foam hue, the ASL looked at Joamer, moments passing by when words themselves had seemingly entirely left her, leaving her unable to speak or even form noises. Joamer seemed to understand however, for all he did was nod, a look of friendly worry and concern in his eyes, lips turned into a smile, fueled by confidence in the fact that he truly believed his friend and second could control herself. 

"Yeah..." At first it was a whisper, though a moment later she turned to look at Coadster, and nodded twice, then once more as if to make sure she was herself again. "Yeah, my free-running thing.  It'll be useful for all of you guys." She took a deep breath, rolled her shoulders back, rolled her head - multiple small cracks coming coming from her neck - and squared herself. You got this... You GOT this. "Anyways, who are we missing-"

It was then that a great crashing sound was heard, the clanging of plastoid armor against the steel of the chute, the sound of muffled grumbles and yells, and finally the sight of a synthrope came into few, followed shortly by the crashing form of Mox. He landed with a loud thud, looking as thought he was a balled up piece of flimsy that had been tossed aside to be left to it's fate of eventually decaying and being given back to the planet. Soft grumbles and muffled groans came from the crumpled man as he tried to move and straighten himself out to sit with his back against the back wall of the chute. Once he had, somehow, accomplished this the wonderful, opinionated medic made his way in front of the trooper, kneeling down with his flash light in hand.

Karash sighed as he began to examine the injured trooper. "The tumbling must have slowed him down a bit, I supposed that's the only reason this moron is still-"

The loud clang of a door flying open broke the medic's speech. "Everyone to the floor now!" The guard shouted as he raised his rifle, seven other men quickly filing into the room after him, all of them with blasters raised.

It took only half a second for all of RAIDERS to react the way they had been trained. Joamer, who had luckily been standing by a table, landed a swift lifting kick to the underside of the furniture, sending it to it's side and landing in front of Karash and Mox as a make-shift shield. The Squad Leader then ducked behind a steel desk, particle magnum raised over the edge as it released multiple well placed shots, the bolts landing with sizzling thuds against the armored guards.

The other reacted just as swiftly, Coadster, despite his injuries, leaped for cover just in time to grab his own weapon and begin shooting at the well. The ARC troopers even had taken cover, their own weapons discharging bolts of energy aimed at the men who seemed to think that RAIDERS would go down easy.

Bolts were flying through the air, landing with that same, tell-tale sizzling thud against anything it could hit. The SCOPE armor took hits, the smell of burning reinforced plastoid rising into the air. They landed against bits of flesh, instantly coagulated blood burning and filling the air of the small computer room with the scent of a true battle. RAIDERS shouted, the guards shouted back, all having taken their own forms of cover by now. The ARCs were in their own fire-fight mindset, tending more so to themselves than the troopers they found to be ill-minded and unfit for the Corps itself. It was chaos, where normally it would have ended quickly at the hand of the RAIDERS, but these armored guards had been an unexpected entity.

The fight lasted what felt like hours to the squad who normally felled their enemies with ease, the air was filled with the scent of burning blood, the scent of burning plastoid, the scent of death as the bodies of the few guards that had been felled began their dooming cycle of decomposition. "We need to end this!" Joamer shouted to his squad, though it was sent back by the sudden landing of a bolt in his shoulder, a great growl erupting from twisted lips as he turned back to fire more bolts at the guards that he refused to let take his and his squad's life.

Next to him, Jaenna's lips were twisted into a scene of pure fury, pure rage, pure thrill as she watched the bolts of her DC-15 land against the slowly degrading armor of the men her mind was filled to the brim with hatred for. Her eye had gone pure steel blue, a grin lining her face with a terrifying expression of the joy she felt knowing that within moments the men that had tried to stop the RAIDERS were going to be taking their last breath. She watched as, slowly, the men began to fall to their doom, their armor useless against the combined might of the RAIDERS well trained and determined troopers.

"This is getting ridiculous!" With a sudden growl, she allowed her pistol to drop back to her side, still attached to it's strap, as she reached back and drew her Treppus-IIs. Joamer saw this, and stood as well, his particle magnum at his side as well now. The two of them leaped over the desk that had taken refuge behind, each of the deadly troopers keeping a man in their crosshairs.

Joamer veered right, jumped and using his left foot to bound of the wall, his right foot landing on the connecting wall that had cornered to it as he turned his body around, now behind the guard he had targeted. A growl pierced the room as he readied his fist for the assault it would take on the guard's head. A moment later and the well placed punch, combined with the power and momentum of the Squad Leader, as well as the steel of his cybernetic arm, sent the guard to the ground, a bloodied and splintered dent in the back of his head.

As if they were connected by some celestial tie, Jaenna accomplished the same wall hoping move at the same time as her leader, instead, her eyes were full of joy, not fury, as they came to bare down on her target and mental dinner. With her blades drawn, and a force that was being driven by not only her desire to survive, but also the dependency she had on spice in order to keep herself under control, she came around the back of her target, and landed both blades with a swift slice and the squelching sound blood splatter, against the man's back, sending him falling to the ground in a convulsing fit as he bled out.

The two looked at each other, then around the room, and then back to each other, and all they could manage was a smirk.

OOC:
Feel free to fill in your own personal fights in your coming posts. I wanna see your unique ways of finishing off some of these guards. Please just make sure they all tie together relatively nicely. And please, don't take me only giving Jae and Joamer detailed fights as me hating you guys. I did it on purpose. I wanna see what you guys can write.

(5.1)
Joamer
ComNet Member

Joamer

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major

Post Number:  724
December 9, 2011 10:38:59 PM    View the profile of Joamer 
"Well that was fu.." Her comment died on her lips as his hand grabbed hold of her chest plate, a moment later he pushed her back hard as he could. Her single eye seemed to glare deep into his soul as she was falling. He knew she had hit the floor hard, and skidded back but he paid her no mind. He could smell the ozone in the air, and hear his squad begin to check each other over. His breathing was slow and even, in the air he could see particles of dust slowly moving on the air currents. Reaching behind him he brought up his pulse rifle, he felt like the world was stuck on slow as things seemed to refuse to move fast. It seemed to take an eternity for his body to complete the movement.

Sighting down the top of the rifle his finger flipped the safety off. A full hour later he felt the trigger against his callused finger. He swore he could count minutes between each caseless round erupting from the muzzle of the rifle. The echo from the halls sounded odd to his ears, the unique sounds from the rifle seemed slow and muted. The part of his mind that was still capable of comprehension wondered why everything was so slow suddenly, it was like he was out of sync with the rest of existence.

Dropping to his knees he spun the rifle around and began firing as the world finally caught up with him. With a rush everything began happening way too quickly. Feeling a hand on his shoulder he kicked his legs against the wall as Jaenna pulled him out of the hallway. A moment later blaster bolts from both directions scored the deck plating black from where he was kneeling a moment earlier.

"So, maybe this is the fun part." She said changing her last comment slightly, as she helped him to his feet. Glancing down one end of the hallway he ducked back as blaster bolts whizzed by. "Don't think they like you." He looked at her after she said that and shrugged up at him.

Swinging his rifle behind him he motioned for Jaenna as he took off in the opposite direction from the squad. He knew he should not abandon them but he also knew they could handle themselves alone for a few minutes. Skidding around a corner he swore as he almost collided with a single mercenary. Jumping to the side he smashed into the wall as his right foot kicked out and drove the man's head into the other wall.

Moving away from the downed man he reached to the sides of his belt and pulled his one of his twin saber knives free. Swinging around the last corner he kicked off the far wall bringing his body around to land on one of the three men kneeling behind a makeshift barricade. Putting his weight on the handle of his knife he felt resistance as it drove into the unprotected neck slowly.

Ducking down he felt the air flow over him as Jaenna tackled one of the other men, her knives protruding from the sides of his armor. Drawing his particle magnum he aimed it at the last dude as the man was bringing his rifle around. Firing three times he saw the man stagger back then look down at the smoking holes in his armor. He choked once trying to say something before falling back to the wall and sliding down slowly.

Pulling his knife free of the man's neck he grimaced as part of his tongue stuck to the blade for a moment before dropping off. He watched as Jaenna stood up and pulled her own knives free a moment later.

"Remind me to thank Ayme, I think those classes are really beginning to pay off." Joamer said as he ducked behind the barricade just as more blaster bolts shoot over head.

"So is the parkour training too, I see." Jaenna said as he cleaned her own blades off. "You are very nimble now, though not exactly elegant yet." She flashed her teeth at him and he smiled, but knew part of her act was real and part was fake. She was still fighting the withdrawal symptoms of the spice. He knew though that he was finally getting his old friend back, if slowly.

Leaning down he cleaned the knife on part of the bodies uniform as the guards at the other end of the hall continued to fire. He knew they were doing it on purpose, they had just watched two people within seconds kill three of their friends. He hoped the squad could break free and figure out some way to take care of them, for now Jaenna and him were not going anywhere for the time being.
Joamer Tremaine Reistlin

[ES1]x2 [EW1]x2 [EW2] [LoR] [BoH] [AS-H] [AS-1] [AS-2] [AS-3] [AS-4] [SCA] [DoH-P] [BC] [RoT] [KAD] [AoT] [IH] [VT] [ESC09] {RES} (5.1) (6.1) (A5) (A9)
Coadster
ComNet Novice

Coadster

Post Number:  44
December 10, 2011 3:22:35 AM    View the profile of Coadster 
Red lights dazzled Coadster, green streaks floating in his vision where they passed. Heli tried to look down the hallway and almost lost his helmet for his troubles. Both hallways leading to the room the RAIDERS were in were full of oncoming fire, and Coadster had a sinking feeling they were moving up toward them. Joa and Jae were at the other end of the hallway, and motioned for them to go. One of the ARCs remained with them, though, the other with the rest of the RAIDERS trying to break through.

“Did you get a good look, Heli?” Coad said, on the other side of the doorway.

“Not a damned thing.”

It felt very much like a trap, and it was not something he enjoyed. But then, who would enjoy it? He inched toward the doorway, and got into the prone position. He popped his head out at the edge of the doorway, in a place with a little less ozone in the air than above, and took a half second survey. There were four mercenaries firing at them, and they were slowly moving forward, using their fire to suppress the RAIDERS, and it was working quite well. The barrel of a gun was pointed at him, and he decided it was time to get out of dodge.

“Alright, there are four of them, and they’re moving up. We gotta move quick, guys…”

He got up and leaned on the door, creaking on its hinges as he put his weight against it. How long would they have until they were popped like a zit in between these two doorways in this damnable vent? He wondered if that table would work for cover… That thought was dashed as he realized that the thing was made of wood, Space knows where from, and it was smoking from the hits it had already taken. It seemed almost impossible… maybe he’d just run out there, try to just rush them, block them for everyone else. He breathed deep and sighed. He might have only been with this group for a few missions, but they were his siblings already.

This was the first time that it just seemed that there was no exit. He felt the ache in his shoulder deeply, felt his sore ribs, felt his strained eggs, felt his pounding head. He wondered what it’d be like to feel nothing. He brushed against the door knob, his armor clinking hollowly against it. He took a double take.

Coadster nudged Dusk, and he turned, pulling his rifle from the doorway. “What, Coad?!”

Coad ignored the venom and pointed at the door, then the hinges. “Help me out, here! I’ve got an idea!”

He pulled on the edge of the door, hanging on to the top of it and putting pressure on the hinges, which he motioned toward with his rifle. Dusk caught on, and fired a blast at the top one. It turned into a molten mess, and once Dusk shot at the bottom hinge the door fell to the ground and came toward Cody on its corner. Mindful of the melty bits, Coad grabbed both sides of it, long-side up, and moved toward the edge of the hallway.

Karash scoffed, and shook his head at what Coad intended to do, but the RAIDERS prepared themselves all the same. Cody tried to keep thoughts of how little the door might actually help, but it was too late to back away now. He got into the doorway and tilted the door toward him, trying with some difficulty to get the damnable thing through the doorway. Blaster fire bounced and sizzled against it, and Coad pushed forward. The hallway opened up, and the RAIDERS used the makeshift shield as best they could. “The first set of doors we get to, get the hell inside!”

The pace seemed infinitely slow, and the doorway got ever hotter against Cody’s face as they went. While Cody couldn’t feel the hits against the thick piece of metal, the sounds of the rounds leaving the mercs’ rifles were all too audible. The shoulder was screaming again, but the adrenaline was beating it down as much as it could to keep it from letting go. He certainly wouldn’t want to be the one who killed his whole squad.His fellow RAIDERS tried to lay suppression fire down behind him, their rifles going off as well. Someone down the hall let out a yell. Definite good news,Coadster thought to himself.

In what seemed like forever, they got to the doors. At a tug, Coad scooted the door to the left side door, trying to ignore the fact that it now felt like his face was pressed against a skillet. Beta tried the handle, to no avail. A boot worked a whole lot better, and with the third kick the latch broke and the door yawned open. Three RAIDERS ran in and made sure the area was secure. Mox and Dusk remained with him, and he picked up the door and moved toward the other side of the hallway.

“FRAKKIN’ DAMMIT!”

He felt searing heat, and a second later the door hit the ground with a thud. The door leaned up against him in the middle of the hallway, but he hardly felt it. In fact, he didn’t even think about it. All there was in the world was the molten fire lacing its way from his fingers up to his arm. With the other shaky hand he used to first try to wipe the burning, running plastic off of his hand and after a second of that tried to rip the gauntlet off. Simply pulling it didn’t work, so he had to slow his brain down to work it out.  Space, it was intense! After an eternal moment, the gauntlet came off, leaving a white piece of plastic that came off of the finger plate. Bloody Hells, it hurt so much!

Dusk grabbed his arm roughly, waking him from his spell. “Dammit, come on! I know, but admire your hand later!”

It shook Coad out of it and with his good arm he pulled on the side of the door; with Dusk’s help the door scraped along the floor to the other side. The door was red hot, and Coad could feel the heat through his glove, but there was no time to stop. The ARC trooper threw his shoulder into the door once, twice, thrice before the lock broke. The trio spilled into the room, and Coad helped them look for hostiles. The mother burned like fire, but all he could do to help, he realized, was to ignore it. The ARC trooper took point at the doorway while Dusk inspected it, limited though he was in these things.

“I think you should leave this plastic in, Coad,” he said, flinching at Coad’s impulse to pull away from Dusk’s rough examination. “Burns are worse when they hit air. We’ll get with Karash soon enough, and he knows more about it. Probably got stuff to help with it, too.”

Coad nodded and breathed out. He looked at Dusk, and tried to smile. “This trip’s going to cost me a bundle in medical bills, you know.”

He could feel the smile behind Dusk’s visor, and the trooper gave him a cuff to the shoulder before joining with the ARC trooper at the doorway. Coad took a second before getting up  and doing the same.

Why didn’t I switch my coverage when I had the chance…?
Karash
ComNet Cadet

Karash

Post Number:  299
December 10, 2011 1:32:33 PM    View the profile of Karash 
‘Well isn’t this a fine predicament to be in! Stuck behind a desk with a half-dazed trooper whilst being shot at by... by... who the hell are they anyway?’

“Stay down! Not even I can save you from a shot in the head!” Karash shouted at Mox over roar of battle. 

Within a few minutes Joamer and Jae had dealt with the immediate problem and dashed out into the hall to deal with one half of the remaining problem. The situation seemed to be fairly dire but that was nothing new for the RAIDERS, in fact it would have been more worrying if everything went to plan. The only the certainty was that there was little chance of the squad going unnoticed from the now on.

“Can you see? Good. Can you hear? Good. Can you walk? Then you are good enough to keep moving.” The medic did not really give Mox any time to answer but this was not the moment for in depth medical treatment.

‘The two people in charge of this squad are gone; two of the troops have slight concussions and could collapse at any moment, which leaves sir-smokes-a-lot, Beta and you. That feeling of impending doom is starting to creep up again. It is almost comforting.’

Looking up Karash saw that Coadster was trying to get one of the doors of its frame and realised that he was probably going to use it as some kind of makeshift shield. The Senior Sergeant was not happy about what they were about to do but there was not any obvious alternative so he just went along with the plan. What worried Karash the most was whether the door would stand up to such a pummelling, if it did not the entire squad could be knocked down like a set of bowling pins.

“If you drop that door, being riddled with holes will be the least of your problems!” Karash shouted at Coadster but he had already started moving.

The medic was at the back of the group, which could only move at a snail’s pace, blaster bolts whizzed past and left behind a smell of burned plastic that was becoming ever more prominent. A few of the bolts came dangerously close to Karash and he could feel their warmth, if he closed his eyes it might have been comforting but there was not time for that as the group had almost reached their destination.

“Just kick the bloody thing dead before I end up looking like a smouldering pincushion!” Karash shouted but no one could over the noise of the gunfire and the now bashing of the door.

As Karash had been at the back of the group he was now the most vulnerable, it could only have been a few seconds until the door finally relented but it seemed like so much longer. He felt a searing heat smash into his elbow and shoulder Just as he dived into the room, he had been shot but things were now moving too quickly to worry about that. He, Heliwer and Beta were now secure in the room; Coadster, Dusk and Mox had managed to get into the room across the corridor but it looked like Coad had injured himself in the process. The ARC troopers were somewhere around but Karash was not really concerned with them.

‘What is it with this squad and getting injured? If Coadster turns out to be another Havock I shall have to renegotiate my salary... Oww’ His thoughts turned to fear as he remembered that he had been shot, twice. He was almost scarred to look down as anything serious at this point essentially meant he was done for. He could feel the heat but no real pain, that must have been a good sign but the adrenaline might be doing that.

“Are you alright?” It was Beta; Karash had almost forgotten where he was.

As the medic looked down he let out a noise that was a mix of relief, embarrassment and hilarity. The shots must have barely scrapped his armour, there were two black marks where it had been burned slightly; hence the initial burning sensation. Summoning up the courage he refocused on the situation.

“I am fine. We have bigger problems to worry about at the moment. How does it look out there?” Karash had turned his attention to Heliwer who was standing in the doorway.

“We have just moved closer to them, so it might be easier to shoot them.” Heliwer replied as he shot at their slightly closer enemies.

Karash had never been a master tactician or the best in a battle situation; in fact he had generally been a sheep and followed whoever had spoken up first. The situation did not appear to have any end in sight and Karash could not shake the feeling of dread that had engulfed him.
SSG_Karash (2.1)
Coadster
ComNet Novice

Coadster

Post Number:  46
December 10, 2011 8:05:39 PM    View the profile of Coadster 
“Dammit, how much ammo do these guys have?” Dusk said, reaching around the edge of the doorway to fire into the hallway. Right across from him, Beta was firing the same way. It seemed very much like a stalemate, and it might come down to who had the least ammo. Coad sighed and wrapped his hand with a strip of his shirt underneath the armor. All this and all he could do is keep from being overwhelmed with the nerves flaring in pain with every heartbeat. Sweat beaded on his brow, and he licked his lips.

Alarms suddenly filled the air, and red warning lights added to the general redness of the hall, brightening and dimming in an almost hypnotic way. He wondered if reinforcements were on the way, or if his leaders had been overwhelmed on the other side, and it was a matter of time before they were flanked. An odd emptiness settled in his belly, a terrible icy rush shot through his spine and fought against the throbbing fire.

Then, Coad noticed Heli out the corner of his eye. He had a thermal in his hand, and was motioning strangely to him after he’d got his attention. Heli made a box around him with his hands, and put the thermal against the invisible barrier. Exploding motions ensued with his hands. At first, Cody drew a blank, and after a moment widened his eyes in realization. With his left hand he pulled out his own thermal and nodded at Heliwer. He jogged to the wall and peeled the strip concealing the sticky side of the thermal off, wincing as he concentrated on using just the pinky and thumb of his crispy hand.

“Thermal set!” He yelled to Mox, Dusk and the ARC trooper he’d yet to learn the name of. He set it, and hit the detonator buttons on the opposite sides of the explosive. The light on the front turned red, and began to blink every second. “Eight! Seven!”

He scrambled to the other side of a desk and kicked it over. The ARC Trooper flipped the desk nearest him to shield him from the blast, and continued firing down the hall to keep the mercs from realizing what was going on. On the other side was the hallway the enemies were stationed in, and if they could blast a hole farther in, the group could flank them from three sides at once. Dusk and Mox knocked the computer terminals from another desk and tipped it on its side. Cody covered his ears, .

“Three! Two!”

The explosive beeped loudly three times in quick succession, and it exploded. A roar like the loudest thunder pushed its way into his ears, and the desk pushed Coad over. Silence and debris encompassed a full second, and a second later, just as Cody lifted his head to the ringing in his ears, Heli’s explosive went off.

With that, Mox yelled in triumph and ran through the hole in the wall, Dusk in tow; The ARC rounded the doorway into the hallway, and Coad followed behind Dusk. He stepped over a dead mercenary before seeing that another one was wiggling under Mox’s foot, barrel of a rifle resting against his head. Heli’s charge was placed right at the corner of the room, and had knocked a second live mercenary to the ground, now being tied up by Beta with a bit of syntherope. The hallway was now full of debris, and all the fluorescent lighting was knocked out, leaving only the bright red lights to view the scenario, softly dimming and brightening in the aftermath.

“Damn,” Dusk said, looking at the scene before him. “One hell of a way to break a tie. Why are we the sneaky ones, again? This seems to work way better.”

Another figure was moaning in the debris, moving the gravel around him as he writhed. It looked like he had something underneath him, something he was hunched over. Coad walked over to him, and flipped him over with his boot. The man looked around and blinked rapidly with wild eyes, blood pouring from the scratch along his brow into his green eyes. His face was grizzled, an experienced man, a square jaw to match the burn marks lining his cheeks; Coad’s hand throbbed in painful sympathy. It was a face of a man that had been in as many scraps as Coad would imagine himself in during his career. But he was scared now.

“Oh damn.”

What Cody had thought the man was hiding was a long metal rod stuck through the middle of his chest, penetrating the man’s chestplate and oozing blood. It was an odd thing, blood on plastic, and it ran thick like warm red syrup on a ceramic plate. Cody knelt next to the man. The man locked eyes with Coad, and his hands grasped at the rod vainly with slick red fingers. The man convulsed and swallowed painfully, licking his lips with concentration. Wet breaths were taken in the time that the man’s shaking hand fumbled into his pocket and grabbed a white enveloped-sized piece of paper. He winced and coughed, maroon tinging his lips and running through the ridges of his laugh lines and scars. His paper was pressed into Coad’s burnt hand, and the man grasped it solidly, holding on with all his might.

A single long breath rattled from his throat, and his hand went limp. He no longer looked at Cody, but somewhere far off, seemed to lose the shine of life in them. Tears threatened Coad’s eyes, and a hand on his shoulder pulled him from the scene. It was Heli. He seemed to know when he looked into Coad’s eyes, and directed down the hallway the mercs had come from.

“Come on. We’ve got to go. We might be able to flank the mercs attacking Joa and Jae.”

He pulled on Coad’s shoulder, gently, and lifted him from the body. There was no resistance, and Coad turned away with Heli, to follow the rest of the squad. As they jogged, Cody looked at the note the man had pressed into his hand. It was covered in blood, though, dark red streaks covering almost all of the tight, square scrawl befitting the man who’d written it. At the end of it, pure white underneath, read:

With Love,
                Jaik.

Cody gripped the piece of paper and ran with Heli, basking in the pain of his clenched hand. All his aches, all his pains, all his bruises, cuts, burns and scrapes, were not even close to the grief he felt now for Jaik, a man he’d never had the chance to meet, a man whose last words may never be heard.
[This message has been edited by Coadster (edited December 11, 2011 3:21:31 PM)]
StarFruit
ComNet Member

StarFruit

[VE-ICS] Privateer

Post Number:  471
December 10, 2011 8:40:20 PM    View the profile of StarFruit 
We shouldn't have left them. We should still be there with them! Go back, you ninny! GO BACK TO YOUR SQUAD!

The woman's mind refused to dull its voice as it shrieked and screamed at her like a rabid banshee waiting for the moment for the strike and tear the soul from its target. It pounded against the inside of her skull with such force that as she looked around the hallway her and Joamer had cleared she could of sworn the walls were pulsing. Or was that just the affects of the adrenaline rushing to each and every point of the woman's body? Joamer's voice tried to break through, but her mind's shrieking was just too loud, keeping her away from being able to hear anything else.

Go back! Go back! GO BACK!

It continued to scream at her, her hands shaking and her eye shutting tight as the grip she had on the hilts of her blades grew so tight that, were she not wearing her gloves, one would be able to see the vast paleness of her knuckles. It pained her, burned her, STUNG her to think that she and Joamer were out here, in the hallways, away from their squad as the ones they had sworn to protect by taken their jobs were fighting back even more mercenaries and guards. Jaenna's fists continued to shake, her eye still closed as she made even more attempts to quiet her mind's yelling.

"We should still be with them..." Finally her voice broke through, shaky and quiet, barely audible over the distant shots being fired at what she assumed were her squad mates. Without thinking, her withdrawal and her anger taking over, her right fist flew from her side and slammed into the wall next to her. "We shouldn't have left them! Joamer! What the frak were we thinking!" Her voice was a growl, tongue clicking against the roof of her mouth as the woman snarled, the animalistic noises only further urged by the whirlpool that had begun to suck her back in. Opening her eye she looked at her Squad Leader, who had stopped and started to look at her, eyes narrowed, though filled with what she could only assume was worry. "We're idiots, Joamer. We should never leave them!"

The man took a step forward, chest heaving as he fought to catch his breath from the battle and Jaenna had finish just before the woman's mind decided to turn black again. "We're not idiots. We're doing this for a reason."

"Oh? And what the frak is that? To leave our squad, our family behind?" Taking a deep breath, she brought her fist down from the wall, gauntlet cracked slightly from the force of the punch, the fact that her right arm was cybernetic adding to that force. "I swear if you're thinking of going rogue on our family I'll-"

"You'll what, Jae? Light up a smoke and forget everything?"

"You have NO IDEA what the spice does to help me!"

"I don't give a flying racnor's ass, Jae! Look back about ten minutes ago! Look back and tell me what you remember." By now Joamer had gotten close enough to Jaenna to see the small flecks of blood that littered her cheeks. His eyes were narrowed into slits, worry still filling them to the brim even as his lips twitched with anger. "Look back. You'll remember."

With a snarl, Jaenna shook her head. "Shut up!" Despite the defiance in her voice, the woman still closed her eye again, after bringing it down from the hateful glare that it had set upon her Squad Leader, and began to think back to those ten minutes ago when she and Joamer had broken from the room. Flashes of fights streamed through her head, causing her lips to twitch with the joy she had felt during those kills. The blood splattered across her mind's eye, the thuds of the bodies falling to the ground, the grunts and excitable shouts that came from the terrifying duo. Finally, dialogue, though broken and airy in her mind, broke through and made it self known.

We doing what I think we're doing? It was Jae's voice.

Yup. The voice of Joamer had replied.

Killing all the bastards in the hallways?

Yup.

So that our squad can maybe stay alive for this one?

Yup.

Awesome.

The woman came back to herself then, her eye opening wide and her face fallen into a grave expression of fear. "How did I..." She began to ask, her voice trailing off as she fought the urge to punch the closest thing to her.

"Your withdrawal. It's messing with you hard, Jae." Joamer reached out a hand, not at all frightened by Jaenna's tense stance, and placed it on her shoulder, giving it a gentle squeeze. "Come on. We have a mission to finish up. We'll get you through this." His voice was soft, almost touching, as he released his friend's shoulder and turned back to face the end of the hallway that broke into two others going either left or right. "We have to get this dammed alarm off."

Jaenna remained standing there, still slightly in her own mind, fighting with a multitude of different urges and angry needs that was painful to push back down and ignore. Her lips twitched, her fingers flexed against her blades and she was off. Sprinting down the hallway, leaping and bounding over whatever bodies and makeshift shields had been in her way. Quickly, she put her blades away and pulled out her datapad, bringing up the holomap of the base. Every few seconds she would look at it, taking in the twists and turns of the hallways, making sure the path she was sprinting was the right one. She cut corners by wall-running, executed zig-zag bounds off of the walls over the bodies she and Joamer had left. And finally, she had come to the door she wanted to be in front of.

Joamer had caught up a few moments later, not exactly pushed by the same drive as Jaenna was, but his adrenaline was rushing as well. The too looked at the door and Jaenna released a devil's chuckle before she placed her datapad back onto her belt, drew her blades and bashed open the door with a swift, well place kick. Inside was bare, no mercs, no guards, only a large video surveillance room. Again, the woman chuckled, placing her blades back in their place.

"I got this, Joa. Go watch the hallway." She spoke softly, the command leaving her lips with ease as she moved forward, once more drawing the data pad from her belt. Not even checking to see if the Squad Leader had listened to her impromptu command, she found the main computer, a USB port and hooked her datapad to the system. Within moments the entire system came out of its sleep mode and lit to life at Jaenna's command. She smiled, readying her fingers for the work of a seasoned Slicer, be it a self-proclaimed title or not.

Before she could start her work, multiple loud blasts filled her ears. "I guess the others found a way out of their hole." She heard Joamer say from the door way, a soft growl to his voice due to his dislike of using explosives on what are supposed to be sneaky-time missions.

Rolling her shoulders, Jaenna ignored him and blasts and got to work, her fingers flying across both her datapad and the keyboard of the surveillance system's main computer with ease. "Backdoor.... Backdoor... Here we go! Idiots." The woman chuckled and smiled as she found her way into the system controls and only a moment later the alarm for the floor was silenced. She leaded up, putting her datapad back onto her belt and turned to look at Joamer with what was obviously one of the most accomplished faces she had been able to wear for a while.

"Lets find our lost puppies." She joked as she stepped forward and into the hallway, drawing her blades as she did so.

(5.1)
Joamer
ComNet Member

Joamer

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major

Post Number:  725
December 10, 2011 10:32:57 PM    View the profile of Joamer 
Breathing evenly he stepped around the corner with his pulse rifle leading the way. Quickly glancing around he clicked his tongue as he took in the damage the squad had achieved in the short time Jaenna and him had been gone. Three bodies were on the floor, one had a nasty looking pipe through his chest. Joamer could see foot prints in the pooling blood as if someone had kneeled down for a moment over the corpse. It had not begun to congeal yet, which meant it was fresh and probably still warm.

There was a light smoke in the air, not to mention the stale taste of ozone and high explosive. If he did not know any better he would of figured Black Jack had stopped by for a party. The short hallway seemed to indicate a large scale battle had happened in less than six minutes.

Looking at the walls he sighed and vowed not to give his squad anymore thermal detonators, specially not while in the barracks. Looking at one wall he took in two large holes, the ends of metal sheeting, pipe work, and wires were hanging loose. No doubt one of those pipes found its way inside the corpse on the floor.

Looking up he saw a man standing at the end of the hall looking at them for a moment before retreating. Reaching out he grabbed Jaenna and shook his head to discourage her following him. He knew the man was retreating, for now they had room to breath but they needed to make the best of it and leave as quick as possible.

"Puppies, oh puppies." Joamer said with a smile. "It's safe to come out now, you scared them all away."

Looking over at Jaenna he gave a quick hand signal after no one had responded. Moving forward slowly he kept his rifle up as he moved down the hallway. Stopping at a half closed door he glanced at the lock and signaled to Jaenna. Listening for moment he heard low cursing inside and someone mumble something a moment later. He knew it was Karash, probably tending to some new wounds one of the squad had received during the insanity.

Knocking on the door after a second he said "House keeping, you want mint for pillow?" He looked at Jaenna as she turned away while biting her bottom lip.

"What the frak? No, I don't want no damn min..." A voice from inside the room said, he cut off as he poked his head out a moment later. Joamer thumped the top of Dusk's head with his knuckles. The young man grimaced and stepped back inside.

Slinging his rifle Joamer looked inside the room to see Coadster leaning on a table while Karash pulled melted plastic out of his arm piece by piece. Shaking his head he said "So, I leave you alone for five minutes and this is what my puppies do without me." Looking at Jaenna as she consulted her holomap he said. "Since you decided to blow up half of a wall we need to move, it's time we went down a level and see what new chaos we can cause. Mount up doggies, time to go play."

Reading a hand signal Jaenna gave him with an annoyed look he motioned for her to lead as he fought the urge to laugh. He could hear from the boots clicking softly on the floor behind him the squad was following slowly. Everyone knew the place was now on high alert, which meant more fun times ahead of them. He hoped each floor was nearly self contained, which if they were lucky they could get down there ahead of any security deciding to form up.

After a long few minutes they reached a unguarded stairwell. Joamer looked back and signaled Coadster and Heliwer to go first this time. Both young men grunted but complied as they quickly worked their way down the stairs, he was glad he could see them treating each corner like an ambush. He figured neither of them wanted to be injured again so soon. Hearing a click on his commlink he followed them down a moment later.

"Now that's a fraking big door." Jaenna said as she stepped up to the very large blast door. "I can open this, give me a minute. Feel free to talk amongst yourselves." Joamer grinned as she stepped to the side and began pulling a panel off the wall.

"You do know the Squad Leader should not leave the squad right? Especially not to go do something truly heroic and stupid at the same time." Coadster said as he checked over his bandaged hand with a frown. "Bet you had fun though, all I got was melty plastic imbedded in my skin."

"Better than an arrow in the knee." Joamer replied as he watched the door begin to swing open as Jaenna smiled victoriously. Motioning the squad forward he wondered what knew insanity awaited them on this level.
Joamer Tremaine Reistlin

Havock
ComNet Marshal

Havock

[VE-ARMY] Major
[VE-DJO] Dark Jedi Knight
[VE-ICS] Privateer

Post Number:  1619
Total Posts:  2413
December 10, 2011 10:34:47 PM    View the profile of Havock 
graded to here.
Ayme 'Havock' Katash
Major || Vast Empire Army Executive Officer ||PHOENIX Company Commander ||Osk Pirate Captain || Prefect of the Army Assistant
XO||MAJ HAVOCK||1COM||1BAT||1RGT||VEA||VE
{RES} {MRT} [EW1] [DoH-P] [AS-2] [GC] [RoT] [RoM] [KAD] [GS] [AoT] [HoTC] [CRoM] [CoH] [RCoD] [PoC]  [ESC09]
PRT||CPT HAVOCK||Eyesore||Broken Bitch||Osk Imperial Network Star Wars Image
SM||DJK HAVOCK||Lion Sect||Lopen||VEDJ

A13 Vehicle Mechanic
Coadster
ComNet Novice

Coadster

Post Number:  47
December 12, 2011 3:45:24 AM    View the profile of Coadster 
Coadster looked down at the burnt hand, now wrapped and plastic free, courtesy of Karash. “Oi, speak for yourself,” he muttered to Joamer, drowned out quite thoroughly by the large blast doors opening up, apparently responding to Jaenna’s technical touch. The group walked through the double doors together, everyone wary of an ambush.

The room was large and spacious, filled with computer terminals set up neatly on long tables that were separated by five foot walls to make miniature room-looking compartments. These compartments filled the rooms, side by side and facing each other across narrow walkways in between them. Pillars rose to the ceiling, supporting it as well as sporting what Coadster assumed were symbols that represented what area was what in the room. Behind them was the stairwell they’d come from, and next to it was another blast door, probably the stairwell to the floor below. Screens gave a stark white light against the red warning bulbs. It seemed to be devoid of life other than the RAIDERS, though.

“Well, at least they know we’re here. No nerds here,” Heliwer commented, smiling a bit. “Oh wait, I almost forgot we have our own nerds.” He chuckled, right up until Jae had his arm twisted up behind his back.

“Care to rethink that statement?” She said back to him, with a sweet tone and a sweeter smile.

“Uh… Yes?”

She let him go, and Joamer harrumphed. “Come on, let’s not fool around until after we’re done here.”

The group looked at Joamer and quieted down. He continued. “Alright, let’s split up. There are a lot of terminals here, and we’ve got to find the one that’s attached to their power grid. Since we’ve got two Splicers here, we’ll split up to save time. Karash and Dusk, go with Mox on the left side of the room.  Jae, you’ve got Heli and me to back you up on the right side of the room. You two-“ He looked at the ARC troopers.  “You’ll be watching the stairwell with  Coadster.”

He looked at the squad intently, and then nodded. “Well then, let’s get this done.”

The group split up, and Coad took the far side of the stairwell they came down, not looking forward to moving quickly with his bad hand. That was fine, since apparently the crispy RAIDER wasn’t the favorite to be guarding with the ARC troopers and they’d decided to put him exactly where he wanted to be himself: away from the biggest potential danger.

While the other groups fiddled with the computers, Coad was busy fixing his laser rifle’s strap so he could fire with his left. He practiced aiming, balancing the barrel of his rifle and looking through his scope. He pretended like there was recoil, trying to steady his aim on the light fixtures up above, and the symbols posted on the pillars. After firing with his right hand all his life, it was really difficult for him to do the same things with his left, burnt hand or no.

“I wonder if any of our units are still alive down there.”

“I don’t think they’d just kill them off. What would be the advantage in that? I bet you they’re holding them for ransom.”

“Well, these guys are pretty serious. Lucky we didn’t have to go through the front, or we probably would’ve had to fight a whole lot more…”

He looked at the troopers he was stationed with. They talked amongst themselves and watched the other RAIDER groups carefully. Honestly Coad didn’t feel much like conversation with people he didn’t know, but it was kind of frustrating being the odd man out of it. He sighed, and rested his head against the wall. My squad’s out there finding power grids, and what do I get? Guard duty.

Looking at how quickly Jaenna and Mox were moving through the computers, he was kind of glad he was just standing around. He certainly couldn’t do that; he was no good with the more intricate details of technology. He knew how to use the stuff, but no way in Hell did he know how it worked. All the better, he thought. Best find my own thing; Space knows how I’d hate to feel useless. Ironic thinking, considering that’s how he felt at this particular moment. How would he fare in the next firefight? He only hoped they’d get their objective done before that happened. At least then they’d be working themselves out of the scorpion pit.
TRP/PVT Coadster/2SQD/1PLT/1COMP/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE [ES1][RAWR]
(A9)
[This message has been edited by Coadster (edited December 12, 2011 10:37:12 PM)]
MoksPokemon
ComNet Cadet

MoksPokemon

[VE-ARMY] Private Second Class

Post Number:  223
Total Posts:  659
December 12, 2011 5:27:12 PM    View the profile of MoksPokemon 
Mox surfed through the system, looking for holes in the network security. Power grid.... there it is Mox thought as he found the server connected to this room. Damn it... Mox cursed as he saw huge red message: ACCESS DENIED. He looked around, and saw Joamer on the other side of the room. He swallowed and took out his DataPad. 6 months in Thyveck and almost zero connection to all but the very basic systems have wore down his skills as a slicer. Even the recent exam at Tadath was a piss take compared to this. Luckily he still had some programs he made a year or two ago, just in case this happened.

Mox plugged the DataPad in and logged into the New Republic network, using his back entry, especially made for him. Idiots.... looks like our Bastion accident never got out! Suddenly a tear to his eye, as he saw his past life. He couldn't believe he left it for the Vast Empire. Maybe I should come back, gave them a sign that I'm alive... Mox quickly got all these thought out of his mind and went into his documents section. It was blocked with a memorial, and most stuff, except the classified ones were free to view. Luckily some folders Mox protected himself, so only a professional slicer could access then.

Mox entered the combination required to enter the folder and downloaded everything that was there. He then loaded up ProtectionBreaker file. He waited patiently as the program worked itself into the armor of the server. Mox looked over to Jaenna. He smiled as he thought how would she deal with it. Looking back to the terminal he thought about his life. Most of his life was easy, no life threatening action. It seemed all staged up, while this life, the Imperial life, was real. Far too real....

Suddenly the screen went black for a moment. Mox blinked and thought about what just happened.

Oh yeah, the reboot.... Mox thought to himself, trying to remember what was on the DataPad.

Another interface popped up on the terminal. Crap, now I remember the file brakes the defences AND installs a basic system. Might come useful though. Mox opened up the graphical view of the original system, and entered (now unprotected) the power grid system. He saw most of the power grids turned off, meaning Jae took advantage of the unknown, to her, sudden disappearance of the defences. Or she used some program of herself... Mox thought. He then fired up another app, created by the file, and all the remaining grids were turned off at once.

Mox smiled and plugged off his DataPad. He then shoved it into his pocked and slowly turned around, with a smile in his face. But Jae continued to sit at the computer. Mox looked at Dusk and Karash, looking for clues as to what's going on. Suddenly he remembered that he still had to disable the communication. Luckily the system didn't autocratically turned off and Mox was able to plug his DataPad back to regain full functionality. He then attempted to find the communication hub but it just wasn't there.

“Damn it!” Mox said to himself, as he attempted to find it using another of his files. There're just mentions of it, in the code... Mox took a deep breath.

“I guess the comm is located on another server...” Jae exclaimed as she got up from her seat.

Suddenly Joamer put his hand up, signalling everybody to be silent. He looked at Jaenna and then glanced at everyone else. He then signalled everyone to take cover. Just as Mox unclipped his rifle the wall opposite the stair case exploded.

RAIDERS at once looked behind then as they thought enemies would come from the staircase. Instead of that couple of mercs came from behind. Mox jumped and rolled over the table, smashing some monitors. As he landed on the floor, he back kicked the table making it fall on the side. He quickly changed his DC-17M attachments to the explosive one, and glanced over the table. Dusk and Karash were along with him, and Joamer, Jaenna and Heliwer were hiding behind the other series of tables. Coadster and the ARCs were taking cover in the doorway. Mox threw his arms outside and fired the explosive barrel. It was nearly a blind fire shot, and it flew all the way towards the other side of the room. He then heard Joamer's voice in his helmet.

“What the frak are you doing? Don't waste you ammo!”

“Ok... fine!” Mox replied and crawled towards the end of the table. He peeked around corner of the steel table and reloaded his gun. He then aimed at the legs of one of the mercs, but as he was about to shoot he was pulled back by someone. A moment later a hail of blaster bolts flew where Mox's head was.

“Damn...” Mox thought about how close to death he was. He looked around and saw Dusk blind firing with his blaster rifle.

“Thanks...” Mox exclaimed, not believing he saw saved by an imperial.

Mox shook his head crawled back to the same spot. He peeked and located the nearest merc. He pulled his head back. Mox waited for a moment, and then peeked again, this time aiming his DC as well. Mox quickly zeroed-in and shot. He then threw himself back to cover. Moments later he saw a merc fly towards Joamer.

“One down, more to go!” Mox shouted as he reloaded his gun.
Slicing Specialist

TRP/PSC Roy "Mox" Kerrolin/2SQD/1PLT/1COM/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE [DT] [A10]
Coadster
ComNet Novice

Coadster

Post Number:  49
December 13, 2011 2:53:03 AM    View the profile of Coadster 
The room went black.

“Jesus, who turned out the lights?” Coadster said, trying vainly to see some sort of light somewhere in the room, to no avail. He readied his rifle against the blackness around him. Funny how much bigger the room seemed with the lights off.

“Looks like they got the power offline,” one of the ARC troopers said somewhere to his right. “What’s next, Joamer?”

At first Coadster wondered what was wrong with his visor and why he still couldn’t see. Then he remembered that his helmet was discarded at the bottom of the vent, broken beyond usefulness. Coadster grabbed at the macrobinoculars around his neck instead, and turned on the night vision. The world popped into green clarity, and he was suddenly very happy he brought it. He took a step up onto the nearest table and climbed up, paying no heed to the clatter of electronics falling to the ground. For a moment there was nothing to see, the room was just as before. “Hey, could you say it out loud for me? My helmet’s gone, along with the headset-“

The wall facing Cody exploded outward, spilling eight… ten men into the room, 4 more behind them. Luckily the groups had only got halfway down the room, or the explosion might’ve… Coadster tried not to think about that. Mox kicked over the table he was facing for cover and fired over cubicle wall at the broken wall, a streak of grey in the macrobinoculars that illuminated everything for a moment once it touched down. A soldier was down before The mercs moved down the walkway in the middle and spread out, looking for the RAIDERS.

“What the frak was that?!” One of the ARC troopers yelled behind him. He could hear their armor clinking hollowly as they jogged up to his vantage point.

“There’re mercs that blew a hole in the wall.” Coadster responded, continuing to watch what was unfolding. Mox searched for a target, and a couple of mercs spotted him first. His head would have been toasted well had it not been for Dusk pulling him down. Laserlight flew up over the wall where Mox had been a moment before. From this vantage, Coad could see it all, but the others would have a problem with it. He turned to the ARC troopers, who had since begun running toward the fight.

“Wait!” He called, getting one of them to stop. “I can’t fight, but let me scout out. The walls block everyone’s field of vision, and we’re outnumbered. If you give me your headset, I might be able to use it as an advantage.”

“Hell no! It’s dark as hell in here; I wouldn’t want to be deaf, too!”

“Stick with your friend, there, and I’ll tell him where they’re at.”

An explosion went off in the darkness, and someone seemed to leap three feet into the air. After a moment of deliberation, the ARC trooper relented and tore off his helmet, pulling his headset off underneath to give to Coad. He couldn’t see, though, so he ended up tossing it underhand in Coad’s general direction, which was caught and equipped. The band felt sweaty and warm, but he ignored the annoyance and pointed the man in the right direction. Taking account of the situation, he exhaled slowly and pressed the intercom button, using his bandaged hand to hold up the macrobinoculars.

“Alright squad, I’ll do my best to relay where the mercs are down there; just remember, for reference North is where the hole in the wall is.”

Coadster was tense about the situation; it was almost like playing a strategy game, but with actual people. He hoped he could keep his squadmates alive and unharmed; it’d be a hell of a thing to have on his conscience. He pushed that aside, as Joamer responded in a quiet tone, nodding in Cody’s direction.

“Give us a count, Coad.”

“ There are thirteen units still up, all of them to the North of you right now. Five to the Eastern portion of the room, four to the Western side, and four down the middle walkway. Mox’s group, the middle mercs are coming up in just a moment. Get ready.”

Unlike when the firefight started, it was quiet, like an odd game of hide and seek with both sides being the seekers. Mox, Dusk and Karash crouched low and moved into the cubicle nearest the middle walkway, Karash in the one second to the middle, and they waited. Meanwhile, some of the Eastern Merc group was hopping over the cubicle walls, looking over and pointing their rifles down before hopping. It was certainly distracting, not to mention nerve-racking; all it took was for one of them to spot him across the way. Coad supposed he seemed like part of the wall behind maybe, stationary as he was. It wasn’t a very comforting thought.

“Joamer’s group, three of the Eastern end is jumping over the walls. They’re seven rows ahead, I’m sure you’ll see them before they do you. The others are coming around the outside, probably hoping to catch you with a flank while you attacked those coming over.”

He didn’t have to remind Joamer that they were outnumbered. There was a static and then silence, a quick sign of affirmation from his squad leader. He tapped Jaenna and Heliwer, motioned with his hands, and they separated. The ARCs caught one merc in the middle group’s eye, and he elbowed his partner before motioning with his gun. They sped up their pace.

The Western end was by far the slowest moving, but perhaps the most efficient. The group split up into partners, working their way through same aisles in the opposite directions and then going to the next one, converging in the middle of the aisle, then repeating indefinitely. It allowed them to look under and around tables and look over the walls to see what they could see at eye level. He relayed the info.

“Western group is taking their time and weaving through the aisles. Group Mox, I suggest moving out of your aisle after dealing with the middle mercs to avoid being swamped by the other group. You’ve about ten seconds until contact with the middle. ARCs, take note that the middle group’s spotted you.”

He wondered if there was anything more to say. After a moment of deliberation over the battlefield, he decided there wasn’t. He waited for an opportunity to duck down without being seen, and sighed, wondering what would happen next. He stepped down from the table carefully, avoiding any run-in with the electronics he’d thrown to the floor. He slid to the floor, and let the macrobinoculars rest on the strap, darkness and silence surrounding him. After another thoughtful moment, he hit the com one more time.

“Good luck, RAIDERS. I’m rooting for ya.”
TRP/PVT Coadster/2SQD/1PLT/1COMP/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE [ES1][RAWR]
(A9)
Joamer
ComNet Member

Joamer

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major

Post Number:  727
December 15, 2011 10:11:04 PM    View the profile of Joamer 
All he remembered was shouting "Mox no!" Of course, the younger man paid no attention to shouted orders from his Squad Leader. He caught the eyes of Coadster as part of the wall collapsed on top of the man, the other heavier part decided to fall on top of Joamer a moment later. He could of sworn the last sight he saw was Mox grinning with a very fatalistic expression on his face as Joamer was buried under rubble.

Groaning quietly to himself he looked up and wanted to push Karash out of the way. "What's the medical bill this time Doc?" He said instead as he glared over at Mokspokemon. Looking around he saw his squad moving around the room as they checked the place over.

"Nothing broken, but your armor took a new set of dents. Your hard head took a few too, probably have another concussion. Where is your helmet anyways?" Karash said as he helped Joamer to his feet slowly.

"Beats me, probably on the surface somewhere. I hate that thing regardless." Pulling his pulse rifle out of Mokspokemon's hands he wanted to punch the man for using his grenade launcher again. Ignoring the fact it ended the battle, it also endangered Coadster and more importantly his own Squad Leaders life. "Sitrep, what's the situation on the power and the communications."

"Emergency power came on a few minutes after the wall tried to make you into an omelet. The communication grid is gone, maybe from the explosion or whatever Moks did shut it down. The servers that housed everything nearly self destructed themselves when the emergency power came online." Jaenna said as she kicked a useless monitor a moment later. "The whole access system is down now, thanks to you!" The last was directed at Mokspokemon who was glancing around.

Standing up Joamer walked over to a white faced Coadster, after a moment he gripped the young man's shoulder and said "Won't be the first time a wall falls on you, but a good achievement none the less. Just wait till you get your house falling on your medal, that ones a fun one."

Looking around the room Joamer muttered half to himself as he saw none of the work stations operational anymore. A heavy coating of dust and debris coated everything, even the air felt thicker now that the lighter particles refused to settle to the ground. Thinking to himself he looked over at Mokspokemon starring at his right hand, looking down he cursed as he realized Karash had removed his gloves.

"Jae, are you still tied into their systems?" She nodded a moment later. "Good, create a feed back loop through the power systems, they must have capacitors of some type for the emergency systems. The defenses that are in the plans require a good amount of power but at short durations. Create a loop through those systems, and when it gets full shunt it back into the main lines. Instant melt down."

"That, would work actually. Though, how do you know so much about those systems?" Mokspokemon said as he narrowed his eyes at Joamer for a long moment. Jaenna only nodded and began working on her datapad with abandon. He saw Mokspokemon starring at his right hand again, more importantly at the mark he kept hidden by his glove. Slipping the gloves back on Joamer strapped his pulse rifle back into place on the combat harness as he stepped closer to the younger man.

"I was not always combat oriented, Moks. So, don't ever underestimate my abilities or I may decide to revive some of my old habits." Turning away from the young man he took a step then turned back around to face him. After a moment of starring into the young man's eyes he said "Stop using that bloody attachment or I promise the next wall that falls will land on top of you."

He watched Jaenna's brow furrow in concentration as he shook his head at Mokspokemon's offer to help. He knew the younger man had brought another modified datapad, but he also knew Jaenna was nearly complete. Her anger level was about to spike. "Squad, go to enhanced vision mode if you have it. It's about to get really dark in here." Reaching into a compartment on his belt he brought out his more compact version of the helmets HUD. Slipping them on around his head he flipped through a few vision modes while Jaenna shouted triumphantly.

Looking up she grinned as he a low hum began to sound through the walls and the floor beneath them. "Joa, where are the capacitors exactly?" She said a few moments later as he vibration under the floor increased.

"Oh frak me, fall back! Take the stairs for the floor below." He shouted as the squad began to run, luckily the other set of blast doors stood open from the attack.

"Keep moving!" Jaenna shouted as the squad took the stairs two at a time. He could feel the vibrations growing more and more. "You know, if I ever meet the bastard who built the capacitors right there I'm going to kill him slowly with a spoon!"

The next floor came into view finally as they rushed through the open doors. Guards, workers, scientists all stood around and watched in amazement as they ran through the room. Turning left Joamer led the squad into a large side room and pushed everyone inside. Bolting the door he kneeled down as the vibrations increased in tempo.

"Well, this might out do BJ some." Jaenna said with a slight laugh in her voice. "I just hope we survive to tell them what we did."

Joamer nodded as he felt the vibrations cease a moment later. Two seconds ticked by before the power went out, his vision mode instantly switching to night vision. Glancing around he held his breath for a long moment before he heard amazed laughter from several people. Slowly each member of the squad joined in as they realized they had not brought the complex down around them. He looked up just in time to feel the explosion and curse as the ceiling collapsed on top of him.

OOC:
Main power is explody, emergency power is mostly explody. Emergency lights still work if they have battery backup, communications systems are all melty. RAIDERS is mostly squishy. Objectives complete, squad continue to post.
Joamer Tremaine Reistlin

Garryll Gates
ComNet Marshal

Garryll Gates

[VE-ARMY] Captain
[VE-DJO] Adept
[VE-ICS] Privateer

Post Number:  1766
Total Posts:  2159
December 17, 2011 11:32:17 AM    View the profile of Garryll Gates 
Quote:Raiders: Fight your way out of the base and call in reinforcements.
ComNet > Stormtrooper Corps > Archived Stormtrooper Corps Story Board > Blanchard Roasting on an Open Fire - RAIDERS  |  New Posts    
  Pages:  [ 1 2 ]   

All times are CST. The time now is 6:01:49 PM
Comnet Jump:

Current Online Members - 0  |  Guests - 80  |  Bots - 1

< Contact Us - The Vast Empire >