Trykon
ComNet Initiate

Trykon

[VE-NAVY] Chief Petty Officer

Post Number:  154
Total Posts:  3784
  RE: Naval Wiki Topic
March 21, 2011 9:34:43 PM    View the profile of Trykon 
Thanks for the fix, Drac.  I hate to pick nits, but: some of the filled-in information (Certifications, Awards, Affiliation, etc.) doesn't appear to be showing on the page, but it's there in the code.  As for colors, I'll just come up with a different color scheme to accommodate the white text, no problem.  So, yeah, only one nit, I guess: the missing fields.

Thanks again!

-Trick
"Don't look for the difficulty in every opportunity; find the opportunity in every difficulty." -- Wyl Trykon

Imperial Network Star Wars Image

BO/CPO Wyl "Trick" Trykon/mSSD Atrus/TF:A/1FL/CSS/VEN/VE/[SoA][SoV]/(=*AE*=)(=^TG^=)
BO/CPO Wyl "Trick" Trykon/mSSD Atrus/TF:A/1FL/CSS/VEN/VE/[SoA][SoV]/(=*AE*=)(=^TG^=)

TO/CPO Wyl "Trick" Trykon/PLT Cappadocious/VENA/VEN/VE/[SoA][SoV]/(=*AE*=)(=^TG^=)
TO
/CPO Wyl "Trick" Trykon/PLT Cappadocious/VENA/VEN/VE/[SoA][SoV]/(=*AE*=)(=^TG^=)
Drac
ComNet Marshal

Drac

[VE-NAVY] 1st Lieutenant

Post Number:  1205
Total Posts:  2191
March 21, 2011 10:17:31 PM    View the profile of Drac 
I'll look into it.

-Drac
CNW|2LT Drac|VSD Dead Gun|TF: Aurek|2Flt|FC|VEN|VE
Chief of Naval Warfare
"Think Akbar, but Imperial."
Captain of the VSD Dead Gun
Trykon
ComNet Initiate

Trykon

Post Number:  155
March 21, 2011 10:46:07 PM    View the profile of Trykon 
Thankie.  It's no big deal, obviously.  But having the thing almost fixed makes me want all the bells and whistles... I'm such a geek.
"Don't look for the difficulty in every opportunity; find the opportunity in every difficulty." -- Wyl Trykon

TO/CPO Wyl "Trick" Trykon/PLT Cappadocious/VENA/VEN/VE/[SoA][SoV]/(=*AE*=)(=^TG^=)
TO
/CPO Wyl "Trick" Trykon/PLT Cappadocious/VENA/VEN/VE/[SoA][SoV]/(=*AE*=)(=^TG^=)
DeepSix
ComNet Initiate

DeepSix

[VE-ICS] Pirate Swabbie
[VE-NAVY] Senior Chief Petty Officer

Post Number:  125
Total Posts:  973
March 22, 2011 8:46:15 AM    View the profile of DeepSix 
    1. Modified regular charbox to work like the hybrid, except for the certs. That way it will still be usable by Army members as well.
    2. Added "platoon" and "awards" into coding since they were apparently missing.

NOTE! Seeing how the Navy hybrid contains the certs at the bottom it is almost certain the Army won't be using it any time soon. Considering this it is my recommendation that certain unnecessary fields be removed - spec, squad, platoon, company, battalion, regiment.
    3. Added coding for missing font colors which should now be working properly on both templates.

A couple of nitpicks as well.

The field birth could in my opinion be renamed to something like birthdate or similar so as to make it clearer that it refers strictly to when someone was born and not his/hers current age - which is a separate field a little lower.

The field dossier should be better explained as currently i do not believe there exists a consensus in regards to what exactly it's supposed to refer to.

For the certs, most if not all the fields could be renamed to something easier to follow than the current solution which is no offense rather sad as well as confusing. Use more numbers (say 1-9), use pairs of numbers (say 1.1, 2.3), use longer names (say cert1tier1, cert3tier2), use anything else really so long as it makes it clearer what exactly is being filled there.
SC/SCPO DeepSix/A-1/S:82 Nightshrike/W:245 Scimitar/ISD Iron Duke/TF:A/1Flt/SFC/VEN/VE [MC2] [IG] [SoV] [[=*TG*=]]
[This message has been edited by DeepSix (edited March 22, 2011 8:56:36 AM)]
Drac
ComNet Marshal

Drac

[VE-NAVY] 1st Lieutenant

Post Number:  1209
March 22, 2011 9:09:23 AM    View the profile of Drac 
Yeah, there was a lot of stuff missing from the Character Infobox template. I added a lot of it back in for our Hybrid template, but didn't mess with the original since it's Ron & Hunter's.

Thanks for adding the font coding. Go ahead and get rid of the extra fields in the Hybrid box, or I will next time I get on this afternoon.

I don't know that there's a whole lot we can do for the birth field, except for the Hybrid box. On the other boxes the display word could be changed to Birth Date, but the input will have to remain the same- else it would simply disappear from every infobox already posted. We'd have to try and edit every page on which the box appears. On the Hybrid box we can go ahead and change it, since only three or four people are already using it.

Dossier's a strange one- I almost took it out as being irrelevant, and may still do so. It basically means your character's portfolio in the Imperitrade stock exchange.

As for Certs...yeah, I'll take a look at redoing those. I was trying to multitask about five things at midnight and...yeah.

-Drac
Chief of Naval Warfare
Slasher
ComNet Member

Slasher

[VE-NAVY] 2nd Lieutenant

Post Number:  655
Total Posts:  1054
March 22, 2011 9:15:42 AM    View the profile of Slasher 
I'd like to vote to actually leave that one, I've often wondered at how much a certain member is actually worth, because the money they have in their bank account often doesn't tell the whole story, for example, I have only 49,476 ICs in cash, but I have 9,247,815 ICs in products, and 117,692 ICs invested at the moment, but by just looking at my roster profile, it looks like I don't have a lot of money, though I have a lot of stuff.
XNT/2LT Rorran "Slasher" Gorma/PLT Cappadocious/VENA/VEN/VE
XO/2LT Rorran "Slasher" Gorma/S:137 "Raptor"/W:46 "Defiance"/PLT Cappadocious/VENA/VEN/VE
TFC:B|SCAP/2LT Rorran "Slasher" Gorma/IMF II Fearless/TF:B/2nd FLT/VEN/VE
[IC1][CBV.][MC:1][MC:2][SoL][GWC][SWC][BWC][NS-1][LSM][=*IM*=][=*SWC*=](=*A*=)(=*SA*=)(=^ME^=)
DeepSix
ComNet Initiate

DeepSix

[VE-ICS] Pirate Swabbie

Post Number:  126
March 22, 2011 9:51:21 AM    View the profile of DeepSix 
In regards to the original either Ron, Hunter or anyone else really is by all means free to reverse my changes and bring it back to the stage it was in a few hours ago. It's just that most Navy members will likely switch to the hybrid, leaving the Army and most NPCs to deal with the original. Maintaining the same names for the fields would just make switches and changes easier for everyone. Having said that, the final decision is theirs.

Removed the Army related fields.

Birth field's display is already "Birth Date" which is correct. My previous suggestion came after actually having noticed that not many members used it or that one or two (and myself as maybe the third) at some point ended up filling the age in there. Then again this was merely a nitpick as previously mentioned.

So that's what dossier was... Might i then suggest it be renamed portfolio or assets or finances or worth or anything similar? Because i for one kept thinking it had something to do with a military dossier (deployments, achievements or anything else not really fitting in any of the other fields) and the ones i ended up asking for clarifications couldn't really provide a clear answer regarding it - which is probably the reason many members don't appear to be using it. At least not correctly at any rate.

The names for the certs made sense as a temporary solution where everyone was more concerned with getting them to work properly and getting them correctly explained and everything, which is completely understandable.

@Trykon it made no sense to keep a regular field named Certs when there is now a whole section dealing with them. As for the Affiliation field, you're missing an "i" or something in your profile. Add that in and the info should display fine. Hope this helps.
SC/SCPO DeepSix/A-1/S:82 Nightshrike/W:245 Scimitar/ISD Iron Duke/TF:A/1Flt/SFC/VEN/VE [MC2] [IG] [SoV] [[=*TG*=]]
Drac
ComNet Marshal

Drac

[VE-NAVY] 1st Lieutenant

Post Number:  1210
March 22, 2011 12:27:50 AM    View the profile of Drac 
I did remove Certs and Awards from the Hybrid template- they're listed more efficiently lower down anyway. I also did some editing on birth so the entry spot for it is |birthdate= (I went through and edited all pages I knew already had the Hybrid template. Anyone who's using it and can't get the Birth Date line to work, please post here.)

I agree with the change on Dossier- we'll change the Hybrid template from that to Portfolio, but will leave the Character Infobox alone in that regard. @Deepsix: I'll handle that one so I can go through and edit the profiles as I did with Birth Date.

-Drac
Chief of Naval Warfare
DeepSix
ComNet Initiate

DeepSix

[VE-ICS] Pirate Swabbie

Post Number:  127
March 22, 2011 1:03:36 PM    View the profile of DeepSix 
Awards were then intentionally removed in the first place? If so i did add them back in as mentioned in my first post... Just making sure you noticed.

And not to worry, i'm not planning on making any further changes. Only reason i did them today was because you mentioned it might take you a few days to add font coloring and i for one already had that mapped out from my own version so i thought i might as well help out. Extra additions were then made because Trykon inquired about them a few posts above and the Army fields removal followed after you cleared it. Now that the template is pretty much finished all that remains are aesthetic changes only - like renaming of fields or displayed names for instance. That though is both simple and quick so everything will undoubtedly be fine.
Drac
ComNet Marshal

Drac

[VE-NAVY] 1st Lieutenant

Post Number:  1211
March 22, 2011 1:46:11 PM    View the profile of Drac 
I guess I missed the Awards mention before. I did decide to remove that section due to the Awards template we use- redundancy is great, but the Hybrid box has the potential to be a monster in length. Any reasonable reduction in its length is worthwhile.

@Everyone: Post here if you're switching over to the Hybrid box or are incorporating the Certifications box alongside your existing character box. I should have the Certs box redone by tonight or tomorrow and I need to know who all has already begun using the existing versions.

Edit: Here're the people I know for sure are using the Hybrid box or the Navy Certs box. If you appear on the list, I will edit your page after updating those templates (unless you request that I don't). If you're not on the list and want to be, post to let me know you're using one of those templates.

Stormz
Driver (cert box only)
Trykon
Amacuse (cert box only)

(@DeepSix: Since you're using your own version, I'll leave your page be. Feel free to borrow the update from the Hybrid template page, though.)

Also: I'm working on another wiki project that I think a lot of you will find useful. It should be up in short order. Stay tuned!

-Drac
Chief of Naval Warfare
[This message has been edited by Drac (edited March 22, 2011 3:02:36 PM)]
[This message has been edited by Drac (edited March 23, 2011 2:10:11 PM)]
Trykon
ComNet Initiate

Trykon

Post Number:  159
March 22, 2011 2:11:28 PM    View the profile of Trykon 
Great work, Drac and DeepSix!  Thanks, you guys!

me/ goes to mess with color schemes on his page,  cackling maniacally

TO
Amacuse
ComNet Member
Imperial Templar

Amacuse

[VE-NAVY] Master Chief Petty Officer

Post Number:  620
Total Posts:  1047
March 23, 2011 1:58:44 PM    View the profile of Amacuse 
Drac, I am currently using my own character box, and the individual cert box you graciously provided us not to long ago.  So, I'd be mightly happy if I'd be allowed to continue using my current set-up.

kthxbai! 

-MCPO Amacuse
Master Chief Petty Officer Cayden "Amacuse" Tavers

Squadron Commander of 153rd Vast Imp. Fighter Squadron Regents

SC/MCPO Amacuse/A-1/S:153 Regents/W:58 Javelin/ICF-II Chrome Fox/TF:R/2FL/SFC/VEN/VE (=AE=) (=*SAE*=) [MC:2] [LSM] [GCM] [CBV]
Drac
ComNet Marshal

Drac

[VE-NAVY] 1st Lieutenant

Post Number:  1217
March 23, 2011 2:09:35 PM    View the profile of Drac 
No problem, Cayden. I'll update the Cert box on your page once I've finished redoing the template- otherwise I'll leave it alone.

-Drac
Chief of Naval Warfare
Drac
ComNet Marshal

Drac

[VE-NAVY] 1st Lieutenant

Post Number:  1223
March 24, 2011 10:25:29 AM    View the profile of Drac 
Okay, the Naval Certifications Charbox and that section of the Hybid box have been updated. I have also updated the pages for myself, Stormz, Driver, Amacuse, and Trykon as noted above. If any of you notice a problem with the update, please let me know. I also added some redirect links for several members to make it easier to locate their pages on the wiki.

@Amacuse: Yours was one of the pages I looked at making redirect links for. When I looked, though, I realized you've been maintaining two complete pages- one under Amacuse and one under Cayden Tavers. I didn't mess with either, but if you like I can turn one into a redirect link so you only have to keep a single page up to date.

-Drac
Chief of Naval Warfare
Trykon
ComNet Initiate

Trykon

Post Number:  168
March 25, 2011 1:32:10 PM    View the profile of Trykon 
Thanks for the redirect, Drac!  You're my wiki idol!  And DeepSix, you're kind of like a wiki prophet, at this point...

TO
Amacuse
ComNet Member
Imperial Templar

Amacuse

Post Number:  637
March 25, 2011 3:13:45 PM    View the profile of Amacuse 
Actually, Drac... I intentionally created both pages recently, to clean up some clutter on the Amacuse page... and make it more about the User, and less about the Character.  Plus, it's already been redirected, thanks to Hunter on the 27th of Feb.

The other one, Cayden Tavers, is for his personal life IC... both in and outside of the Vast Empire.

Anywho, thanks for the update, Drac!
Master Chief Petty Officer Cayden "Amacuse" Tavers

SC/MCPO Amacuse/A-1/S:153 Regents/W:58 Javelin/ICF-II Chrome Fox/TF:R/2FL/SFC/VEN/VE (=AE=) (=*SAE*=) [MC:2] [LSM] [GCM] [CBV]
Trykon
ComNet Initiate

Trykon

Post Number:  188
March 31, 2011 4:30:20 AM    View the profile of Trykon 
Doing a bit of wiki work lately: some NPC pages to fill out the crew of the Warden-class Light Cruiser Duty (and thank you, Drac, for the templates you came up with for the Cerulean).

Just wondering, though: is someone working on the little phantom hyphens that appear in most of the template tables on the wiki?  With all this work I'm putting in, they're kind of... irksome.

Thank you, wiki masters.

-Trick

TO
Atrasin
ComNet Marshal

Atrasin

[VE-NAVY] Commodore

Post Number:  1538
Total Posts:  1957
March 31, 2011 3:35:52 PM    View the profile of Atrasin 
Vast Empire Wiki: Episode One
The Phantom Hyphens
CNO|COMD Atrasin|ISD Iron Duke|TF:A|1Flt|VEN|VE [=A=][=^SA^=][=^ME^=][=*MA*=][=FOCE=][=*TG*=][=*Eng*=][=*BO*=][MC1]{BWC}[NSR:1]{SAS}{SWC}(SOL)[LSM][VC:B][DSM][VC:S]
Vacuus Ordo, Nex  -Without Order, Death
All a man can betray is his conscience. - Joseph Conrad
We few, we happy few. We band of brothers. - Henry V
May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't. - General George S. Patton Jr.
Slasher
ComNet Member

Slasher

[VE-NAVY] 2nd Lieutenant

Post Number:  674
Total Posts:  1054
March 31, 2011 5:04:10 PM    View the profile of Slasher 
My fault for those, they are the only things that I found that would work to keep the things in the correct stacked position, if another way could be figured out to fix it, you are welcome to do so. The hyphens are in the templates.

-2LT Slasher
XNT/2LT Rorran "Slasher" Gorma/PLT Cappadocious/VENA/VEN/VE
XO/2LT Rorran "Slasher" Gorma/S:137 "Raptor"/W:46 "Defiance"/PLT Cappadocious/VENA/VEN/VE
TFC:B|SCAP/2LT Rorran "Slasher" Gorma/IMF II Fearless/TF:B/2nd FLT/VEN/VE
[IC1][CBV.][MC:1][MC:2][SoL][GWC][SWC][BWC][NS-1][LSM][=*IM*=][=*SWC*=](=*A*=)(=*SA*=)(=^ME^=)
Drac
ComNet Marshal

Drac

[VE-NAVY] 1st Lieutenant

Post Number:  1251
March 31, 2011 9:36:31 PM    View the profile of Drac 
I'll look and do some research. We may need to go to a whole new format for tables or we may not. It may be an easy fix. We'll see.

-Drac
CNW|1LT Drac|VSD Dead Gun|TF: Aurek|2Flt|FC|VEN|VE
Chief of Naval Warfare
Trykon
ComNet Cadet

Trykon

Post Number:  218
April 9, 2011 3:44:11 AM    View the profile of Trykon 
Did a preliminary google search just out of curiosity/boredom, and have come to the quick conclusion that templates are still far beyond my meager wiki skills.  I wish you continued good luck in the war against unwanted hyphens.

TO
Trykon
ComNet Cadet

Trykon

Post Number:  223
April 10, 2011 5:06:53 AM    View the profile of Trykon 
Hmmm... is there still work being done on the Hybrid Character Info/Certification table thingie?  The colors don't seem to be working uniformly... some cells randomly do their own thing...

TO
Drac
ComNet Marshal

Drac

[VE-NAVY] 1st Lieutenant

Post Number:  1267
April 12, 2011 1:44:50 PM    View the profile of Drac 
There may some coding missing from it. I'll take a look.

As for the hyphens...I've yet to have any luck. It's hard to find guides for the version we have and the built-in guide is singularly uniformative on this topic.

-Drac
Chief of Naval Warfare
Amacuse
ComNet Member
Imperial Templar

Amacuse

[VE-NAVY] Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post Number:  725
April 12, 2011 2:07:16 PM    View the profile of Amacuse 
The only templates that I've seen to have the phantom hyphens are the ones for ranks, positions, awards, and story posts.  (at least that I use)

So, maybe the other templates I use (which I pieced together from like, 2-3 other templates currently in use) have some sort of advanced coding or something...

Which templates have the phantom hyphens?  (besides ranks, positions, awards, and story posts)

Also, the "Time in the Vast Empire" template is bad.  It doth not work for me no more.  :/

-Amacuse
Warrant Officer 2nd Class Cayden "Amacuse" Tavers

SC/WO2 Amacuse/A-1/S:153 Regents/W:58 Javelin/ICF-II Chrome Fox/TF:R/2FL/SFC/VEN/VE (=AE=) (=*SAE*=) [MC:2] [LSM] [GCM] [CBV] [DSM]

MS/WO2 Amacuse/LCR Sovereign/TF: ?/? FLT/VENA/VEN/VE
Drac
ComNet Marshal

Drac

[VE-NAVY] 1st Lieutenant

Post Number:  1268
April 12, 2011 6:42:44 PM    View the profile of Drac 
I don't know anything about that last template, having never used it. The common thread amongst the others is that they're all tables of information.

-Drac
Chief of Naval Warfare
Amacuse
ComNet Member
Imperial Templar

Amacuse

[VE-NAVY] Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post Number:  728
April 12, 2011 11:03:37 PM    View the profile of Amacuse 
all the ones I mentioned are all table templates.

The other ones I use have no hyphens, so... yeah... :P
Warrant Officer 2nd Class Cayden "Amacuse" Tavers

SC/WO2 Amacuse/A-1/S:153 Regents/W:58 Javelin/ICF-II Chrome Fox/TF:R/2FL/SFC/VEN/VE (=AE=) (=*SAE*=) [MC:2] [LSM] [GCM] [CBV] [DSM]

MS/WO2 Amacuse/LCR Sovereign/TF: ?/? FLT/VENA/VEN/VE
Trykon
ComNet Cadet

Trykon

Post Number:  231
April 12, 2011 11:46:07 PM    View the profile of Trykon 
Just to clarify, the specific lingering issues I've identified are as follows:

The Character Info/Certification combo table's customized colors are not working properly (you can change things a bit, and get something which works okay, but some of the cells seemingly don't change with others of their "section" if you try to adjust the scheme).

The tables for story participation, awards. exams/certifications, ranks, positions all have the hyphen issue, as discussed.

The "Time in VE" calculator guy is, as 'cuse said, super broken.

Those are the only things I've noticed, and I don't know if that helps determine whether they are "table templates" or not.  Thanks for looking into stuff. 

TO
Trykon
ComNet Cadet

Trykon

Post Number:  256
April 23, 2011 9:25:13 PM    View the profile of Trykon 
Stay tuned for an update to the STARWARS Workshop some time soon...

And, I'm still open to other members contributing essays for the more advanced "lessons."  PM if you have questions. 

BO/SCPO Wyl "Trick" Trykon/mSSD Atrus/TF:A/1FL/CSS/VEN/VE/[SoA][SoV]/(=*AE*=)(=*TG*=)
BO/SCPO Wyl "Trick" Trykon/mSSD Atrus/TF:A/1FL/CSS/VEN/VE/[SoA][SoV]/(=*AE*=)(=*TG*=)

TO/SCPO Wyl "Trick" Trykon/PLT Cappadocious/VENA/VEN/VE/[SoA][SoV]/(=*AE*=)(=*TG*=)
TO
/SCPO Wyl "Trick" Trykon/PLT Cappadocious/VENA/VEN/VE/[SoA][SoV]/(=*AE*=)(=*TG*=)
Trykon
ComNet Member

Trykon

Post Number:  394
May 23, 2011 8:22:55 PM    View the profile of Trykon 
I did a revision pass on the pages for Basic Training and Flight School, cleaning them up a bit.  If the changes meet with general approval, I'll go ahead and do the same thing for the content in the three Chapters of Flight School.

-Trick

UPDATE: Went ahead and edited the page for Chapter 1 of FS.  I think it's much improved, but I may be biased. 

SCAP/MCPO Wyl Trykon/CR90 Defiance/TF:B/2Flt/CSS/VEN/VE
XNT/MCPO Wyl "Trick" Trykon/PLT Cappadocious/VENA/VEN/VE

[SoA][SoV][BWC]/(=*AE*=)(=*SAE*=)(=*TG*=)(=*SCFE*=)
[This message has been edited by Trick (edited May 24, 2011 6:47:07 AM)]
Drac
ComNet Marshal

Drac

[VE-NAVY] Commander

Post Number:  1326
May 24, 2011 10:59:21 AM    View the profile of Drac 
I'll take a look at those next chance I get. One thing: if you do go through the rest, skip the Reports page as I'm currently in the middle of a from-scratch replacement and update of that one.

-Drac
CNW/CDR Drac/ISD II Halcyon Warrior/TF: Aurek/2Flt/FC/VEN/VE
Chief of Naval Warfare
Captain of the ISD II Halcyon Warrior
ComNet > Imperial Navy > Archived Navy Main ComNet > Naval Wiki Topic  |  New Posts    
  Pages:  [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ]   

All times are CST. The time now is 7:08:00 AM
Comnet Jump:

Current Online Members - 0  |  Guests - 169  |  Bots - 2

< Contact Us - The Vast Empire >