Communications Network
Vast Empire  -  New Posts  -  Search  -  Statistics  -  Login 

ComNet > Imperial Navy > Archived Navy Main ComNet > Capital Ship Service Discussion

Pages:  [ 1 2 3 4 ]   
Author
Topic:  Capital Ship Service Discussion
StOrMz
ComNet Marshal
Imperial Baronet

StOrMz

[VE-NAVY] 1st Lieutenant
[VE-VEEC] Ink Slinger

Post Number:  988
Total Posts:  2218
  RE: Capital Ship Service Discussion
November 17, 2009 9:53:06 PM    View the profile of StOrMz 
Willt beat me to the "add fighters to the Cap's" thing.

I agree that they need to be added. I think that, unlike most NPC interaction, we should try to develop relationships with them. Make them more real. Like Willt said, we have little to no interaction with anyone/thing outside the squadron. the CSS program is a chance for us to start doing this.
NTO/1Lt StOrMz/Wing 1/mSSD Atrus/1 Fleet/VEN/VE
(=A=)(=^SA^=)(=ME=)(=*MAE*=)(=FOCE=)[NSM][IG][SWC][SRC][BI]

Imperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars Image
Imperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars Image
Imperial Network Star Wars Image

Imperial Baronet of Kashyyyk
Atrasin
ComNet Member

Atrasin

[VE-NAVY] Lt. Commander

Post Number:  759
Total Posts:  1957
November 17, 2009 9:57:23 PM    View the profile of Atrasin 
we COULD close one squadron and open a Flight on each ship...
WC|CO|LCM Geordi "Driver" Atrasin/Phoenix 1-1/CVT Taskmaster/1VENF/VEN/VE/[=A=][=^SA^=][=^ME^=][=*MA*=][=FOCE=][MC1]{BWC}[NSR:1]{SAS}{SWC}
Vacuus Ordo, Nex  -Without Order, Death
All a man can betray is his conscience. - Joseph Conrad
We few, we happy few. We band of brothers. - Henry V
May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't. - General George S. Patton Jr.
StOrMz
ComNet Marshal
Imperial Baronet

StOrMz

[VE-NAVY] 1st Lieutenant
[VE-VEEC] Ink Slinger

Post Number:  991
Total Posts:  2218
November 17, 2009 10:02:43 PM    View the profile of StOrMz 
precisely my point
NTO/1Lt StOrMz/Wing 1/mSSD Atrus/1 Fleet/VEN/VE
(=A=)(=^SA^=)(=ME=)(=*MAE*=)(=FOCE=)[NSM][IG][SWC][SRC][BI]

Imperial Baronet of Kashyyyk
Gunnay
ComNet Member

Gunnay

[VE-NAVY] Senior Crewman

Post Number:  306
Total Posts:  318
November 17, 2009 10:47:03 PM    View the profile of Gunnay 
Except that if half the people in VEN go to the capital ships, and then you disband a squadron to put them in fighters on capital ships...

Honestly, it really seems like a lot of people want to go into the capital ships more then stay in fighters. Thats why I initially said we should give members the chance to open up flights and squadrons with NPC flight members. Even if they have NPCs, there can still be groupings of people who work together... it might just be that a squadron becomes what a flight was and a wing becomes what a squadron was
[This message has been edited by Gunnay (edited November 17, 2009 10:48:27 PM)]
Willtconq
ComNet Sage

Willtconq

[VE-NAVY] 1st Lieutenant

Post Number:  3790
Total Posts:  4599
November 17, 2009 11:49:19 PM    View the profile of Willtconq 
You know... us launching from the Atras is essentially the same thing as having a flight of fighters launch from a capital ship... i see almost no difference except that there's a extra side of the story that we don't see or cover right now, if ever before.
-(William the Conquerer)-
Ex Ship Captain of Tiamut
King of PPC 16,000 clicks and counting
"A dishonest man, you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're gonna do something incredibly stupid." - Captain Jack Sparrow
"Happy endings are just stories that haven't finished yet." - Jane Smith
FM/1LT Willtconq/Nazgul 2-4/Phoenix Wing/mSSD Atrus/1st Fleet/VEN/VE (=*A*=) (=*SA*=)(=^MA^=) [VC:S][SV][BWC][SWC][LSM][CBV][NC]
Imperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars Image
Shazam
ComNet Marshal

Shazam

[VE-NAVY] Commodore
[VE-VEEC] Journalist

Post Number:  3736
Total Posts:  4197
November 20, 2009 3:29:59 PM    View the profile of Shazam 
Well, let's chill for a sec, lol.  I mean, if we wanna put people ships and move them up the chain, that's fine, but I still think that it's almost too much of a priveledge for new recruits, lol.  I know that sounds weird, but let's think about this.  In a squadron, you're definetely on the bottom rung, but you've still got tons of flexibility.  How?  By working with your flight: you brain storm and come up with the plot for your character and his/her comrades.  So there's plenty to work with, and everyone is in kind of the same place position/career/interest wise.  Also, I completely agree that longer relationships between NPCs, or potentially real characters, should be developing outside the squadron.  We can do that by attaching squadrons to a ship: sure, I'm all for that too.  But you see how there's this nice solid base?  People know where to be and, with the help of their squadron, they have a team they can write with?

If you do this on a ship, the configuration is much, much more loose.  You're not necessarilly at the bottom of the ranks for instance: you're in charge of people, which kind of denotes position and rank/experience.  Or, let's say we didn't do that and just made someone an engineer: well, not everyone's ganna be an engineer in the story, right?  Unless we wanna start making legions of engineers, mechanics, etc.  That means that the overall model and connections between the characters are also more loose.  This requires a different approach to how that story is going to work: how will the character's interact?  To me, that doesn't sound like a position that a new recruit is ready for, or that he or she has really earned for that matter.

I bring up this "earning" thing a lot, and I don't mean to implicate that one person is more worthy of another, per se.  Rather, it's kind of like the DJO and why we don't let characters have force abilities unless their in it.  Let's say I give a new recruit force abilities: what's he ganna do?  He's ganna use them...  Probably all the time and not so gracefully.  There'll be exceptions, but for the most part, folks don't have the experience to use that trait gracefully.  So the DJO has people earn it.  I'd kind of like these responsibilities on ships to have a similar level of integrity.  If you want the freedom and opportunity to have so much latitude in your writing, I'd kind of like to see that you're ready to do the job justice.  It seems wiser, to me then, that we ought to allow members to progress into ship roles.  Higher-ups would be allowed super high-up jobs, because their writing shows they can manage it, and maybe members somewhere in the middle can be given opportunities that, also in a median capacity, they can fulfill on ships.  So, I'm basically just not convinced that, atleast without some guidance, new recruits are going to be able to coordinate very well or do the job justice.

That being said, I like the comment about allowing folks to do time on a ship, perhaps the ship their squadron is assigned to.  Perhaps we could develop skills by allowing members to write as different occupations in their "down-time?"  Not only would they be developing new traits, but they'd be given that opportunity to communicate/work with one another acting, still, as a squadron yet with completely different roles.  Another benefit to that is that we wouldn't have to come up with new rank models and systems for promotion that would be necessary by creating a whole seperate subdivision.  In fact, merely "progressing" wouldn't require it either; people could still keep their ranks but tack on a different position.
*Flash Was Here...*

FM/COM Shazam/Nazgul 3-4/Phoenix Wing/mSSD Atrus/1VENF/VEN (=A=) (=*SA*=) (=MA=) (=*FOCE*=) [CBV*] [LoM] [LSM] [MC2] [VC:S] [SV*] [DSM] [KC] {Platinum Writing Medal}
Willtconq
ComNet Sage

Willtconq

[VE-NAVY] 1st Lieutenant

Post Number:  3800
Total Posts:  4599
November 20, 2009 9:21:35 PM    View the profile of Willtconq 
Okay, I'm not sure if your post was aimed at my suggestion or the suggestion to have pilots on capital ships... but regardless.

Having pilots based off a capital ship crewed by actual members doesn't mean they have to be new recruits too. We can still have a usual squadron for new recruits. and over time they can earn their position onto a "live" capital ship.

Also, I agree that there might be more for a pilot to do during down time on a capital ship. but in my view of the idea, pilots are pilots, no more, no less. They shouldn't be allowed to take on professional positions as a crew members, hobby is totally fine, but no official assignment.

And honestly, I don't think allowing or not allowing new recruits into the program is that big of a deal. Right now, what we need is the structure and concrete base for the project. Which positions are open for members, which would make good points of view for story developments, which positions are essential. everything else is optional. the whole new recruit thing can be changed at almost any time after the program has been implemented.

Would it really hurt the new recruits that much to say that ti's an elite program and that they would have to earn it? No! It might even make them work harder to get it. So why can't we just decide on something instead of going back and forth.

Right now, we're worrying over so many factors that are simply optional, and not looking at things that need to be looked at in order for the program to even get off the ground.
-(William the Conquerer)-
Ex Ship Captain of Tiamut
King of PPC 16,000 clicks and counting
"A dishonest man, you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're gonna do something incredibly stupid." - Captain Jack Sparrow
"Happy endings are just stories that haven't finished yet." - Jane Smith
FM/1LT Willtconq/Nazgul 2-4/Phoenix Wing/mSSD Atrus/1st Fleet/VEN/VE (=*A*=) (=*SA*=)(=^MA^=) [VC:S][SV][BWC][SWC][LSM][CBV][NC]
Imperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars Image
[This message has been edited by Willtconq (edited November 20, 2009 9:22:50 PM)]
ComNet > Imperial Navy > Archived Navy Main ComNet > Capital Ship Service Discussion  |  New Posts    
  Pages:  [ 1 2 3 4 ]   

All times are CST. The time now is 1:39:03 AM
Comnet Jump:

Current Online Members - 0  |  Guests - 356  |  Bots - 0

< Contact Us - The Vast Empire >