Communications Network
Vast Empire  -  New Posts  -  Search  -  Statistics  -  Login 

ComNet > Imperial Navy > Archived Navy Main ComNet > Capital Ship Service Discussion

Pages:  [ 1 2 3 4 ]   
Author
Topic:  Capital Ship Service Discussion
StOrMz
ComNet Marshal
Imperial Baronet

StOrMz

[VE-NAVY] 2nd Lieutenant
[VE-VEEC] Ink Slinger

Post Number:  964
Total Posts:  2218
  RE: Capital Ship Service Discussion
November 10, 2009 7:55:42 PM    View the profile of StOrMz 
Commenting on your third point Art.

The VENA-S is actually working on a Character Proficiency System that will help to establish various skills for either Starfighter Corps OR Capital Ship services (something I have quietly worked on for almost a year now with Ibram). We are almost done and it will be released and incorporated into the VENA training program immediately.
NTO/2Lt StOrMz/Wing 1/mSSD Atrus/1 Fleet/VEN/VE
(=A=)(=^SA^=)(=ME=)(=*MAE*=)(=FOCE=)[NSM][IG][SWC][SRC][BI]

Imperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars Image
Imperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars Image
Imperial Network Star Wars Image
Imperial Network Star Wars Imagel]
Imperial Baronet of Kashyyyk
Atrasin
ComNet Member

Atrasin

[VE-NAVY] Lt. Commander

Post Number:  732
Total Posts:  1957
November 15, 2009 3:31:48 PM    View the profile of Atrasin 
ok, this is for all to give me some input based on the proposal at hand, and the previous ideas.

gimme something to chew on here. let's not make the same mistakes twice.
WC|CO|LCM Geordi "Driver" Atrasin/Phoenix 1-1/CVT Taskmaster/1VENF/VEN/VE/[=A=][=^SA^=][=^ME^=][=*MA*=][=FOCE=][MC1]{BWC}[NSR:1]{SAS}{SWC}
Vacuus Ordo, Nex  -Without Order, Death
All a man can betray is his conscience. - Joseph Conrad
We few, we happy few. We band of brothers. - Henry V
May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't. - General George S. Patton Jr.
Arturo
ComNet Initiate
Imperial Baronet

Arturo

[VE-NAVY] Senior Crewman

Post Number:  119
Total Posts:  277
November 15, 2009 3:39:52 PM    View the profile of Arturo 
We cannot make this too big, no bigger than the Starfighter Corps is, obviously.  However, how small is too small?
SCRW Arturo Lee
Nazgul Squadron Flight 3 Member
Imperial Baronet
FM/SCRW Arturo Lee/Nazgul 3-11/Phoenix Wing/mSSD Atrus/1FLT/VEN/VE/(=*A*=)
Atrasin
ComNet Member

Atrasin

[VE-NAVY] Lt. Commander

Post Number:  733
November 15, 2009 3:55:50 PM    View the profile of Atrasin 
define 'too big'?
WC|CO|LCM Geordi "Driver" Atrasin/Phoenix 1-1/CVT Taskmaster/1VENF/VEN/VE/[=A=][=^SA^=][=^ME^=][=*MA*=][=FOCE=][MC1]{BWC}[NSR:1]{SAS}{SWC}
May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't. - General George S. Patton Jr.
Arturo
ComNet Initiate
Imperial Baronet

Arturo

[VE-NAVY] Senior Crewman

Post Number:  120
November 15, 2009 3:59:27 PM    View the profile of Arturo 
So big that everyone is in CSS and not in SC
SCRW Arturo Lee
Imperial Baronet
Atrasin
ComNet Member

Atrasin

[VE-NAVY] Lt. Commander

Post Number:  734
November 15, 2009 4:04:38 PM    View the profile of Atrasin 
understood, but unlikely

the CSS is an option. not everyone will want to be a ships's crewman or a deck officer or  a gunner. someone will always want to be the hotshot pilot.

we will, however, ensure that the CSS and the SFC (starfighter corps) garner equal recruits
Boomer
ComNet n00b

[VE-NAVY] Crewman

Post Number:  8
Total Posts:  11
November 15, 2009 6:02:44 PM    View the profile of Boomer 
I know I'm fairly new, but here are my two cents:

Personally, the idea of serving as a bridge officer (not necessarily a commander, but still an important role) intrigues me more than being a starfighter pilot does. However, I do not like the idea of serving as a gunner or a mechanic. That doesn't interest me so much. So I think it's the roles that you offer people on the various starships, and how you manage those roles, that will affect how many people opt for CSS over the STC.

Probably doesn't help much, but I figured that maybe a recruit's perspective couldn't hurt.

I volunteer, btw, if that's an option
Boom.
Atrasin
ComNet Member

Atrasin

[VE-NAVY] Lt. Commander

Post Number:  735
November 15, 2009 6:35:23 PM    View the profile of Atrasin 
More to chew on....

OOC:
Vast Empire Capital Ship Service:  Version 2.0

Candidates go thru the normal Basic Training procedures as set by the Academy.

Upon graduation, members will choose between the Starfighter Corps, and the Capital Ship Service.

Members would be placed as Bridge Officers on board a capital ship:

Ship’s Complement
•    Captain
•    Executive Officer
•    Bridge Officers: Chief Engineer
                            Tactical Officer
                              Security/Communications Officer

The officers would interact between themselves; the NPC’s aboard the ship, and the other ships in the fleet, along w/the actions happening to the ship.

The Captain of the ship could work their way up the ladder to a larger, more important ship, or a Fleet command.  The XO would work their way up to Captain, and the Bridge Officers would follow in turn to XO slots on board this or other ships.

As members distinguish themselves they would gain higher rank, position and more powerful ships.  They could also earn the title of Task Force Commander or even Fleet Commander.

The ships would be either attached to a Task Force for a large story, or be given an individual mission to be completed alone.  Missions could range from Diplomatic to Intelligence to Patrol.

The Bridge Officers would use their positions as Naval Specialties.  They would write individual stories on their skill sets to earn marks toward promotions and further their careers.

The BO positions would be interchangeable, so members could gain different skills on different ships.

less complecated and less tiered.  5 crewmembers every ship regardless of size.  bridge officers are entry level roles, and thier Specialty training is optional.
Gunnay
ComNet Cadet

Gunnay

[VE-NAVY] Senior Crewman

Post Number:  295
Total Posts:  318
November 15, 2009 8:39:44 PM    View the profile of Gunnay 
It would help if we got the final say on what we're going to do exactly, but here's an idea:

3 people per ship:
-1 CO- Commands the ship and handles the big picture. "Our objective is blah blah blah. XO, make sure we're ready to roll. TAC, these are our squadron's objective." When major battles come he will tell the XO where to go and what they need to do, the XO will carry out the orders. He will also be helping the TAC to learn the ways of the fleet.
-1 XO- Handles the little things. "Shields, I only see 99%, let's get those up to 100. Weapons, make sure you're fully charged. Target the belly of that frigate." He will be the equivalent, essentially of a FL. He knows what he's doing, he's a mid-level member, and he's getting some command experience.
-1 TAC- These, I'm assuming, will be smaller ships, but they could have a squadron or two of NPCs on board. The TAC would be given an objective and he'd decide how to have his squadrons do this. Essentially he'd tell the NPC CDR what to do and have that guy carry it out. This would be the entry level position where they really observe the XO and CO.

It could be structured in this form:

Highest Level:
Battle Group Commander (Would be the NCC)

Second Level:
-Atrus CO (leads the fleet on a daily basis, essentially equivalent to a WC in the Starfighter Corps)

Third Level:
-Task Force CO: If people are loving the navy thing and room is not coming available on the Atrus and they deserve a promotion, a CO or the Atrus XO could be given the option of handling an entire NPC Task Force.
-Atrus XO (would be promoted to XO from another ship's CO position, trained to be the CO of Atrus)
-Task Force XO (XO of a Task Force)

Fourth Level:
-Ship CO (see above)
-Ship XO (see above)
-Ship TAC (see above)

This way people would get personalized training. Instead of having the capital ship positions available right away, make it so people have to reach, say, PO1 to be considered. It'll give people something to work towards after they've gotten the hang of writing. It also is sort of a transition out of fighters to a ship. They'll be reading what the XO and CO are writing to see what they're doing and what he or she needs to do as TAC.

Also, if higher positions aren't opening up fast enough, you could open up an all-NPC task force and promote someone to CO and another to XO that are ready and able to take on that big of an assignment.

So, yea, just a couple more quick ideas. Pretty similar to At's, just changes it from 5 people to 3 I guess
Arturo
ComNet Initiate
Imperial Baronet

Arturo

[VE-NAVY] Senior Crewman

Post Number:  122
November 15, 2009 10:15:35 PM    View the profile of Arturo 
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the command of the Atrus always fall to the NCC?  And wouldn't any sort of large taskforce do so, as well?
SCRW Arturo Lee
Imperial Baronet
Gunnay
ComNet Cadet

Gunnay

[VE-NAVY] Senior Crewman

Post Number:  296
November 15, 2009 10:18:47 PM    View the profile of Gunnay 
The beauty of the NCC's position is he can change the way things work, especially with what's going on now. It doesnt exactly have to work like that, just an idea.
Atrasin
ComNet Member

Atrasin

[VE-NAVY] Lt. Commander

Post Number:  736
November 16, 2009 12:01:56 AM    View the profile of Atrasin 
at this point all CSS slots would go to current veteran members that have proven their ability to write and lead. that will change as the Service gains strength.

3 is an ok number for the ship, however it does not give you much interaction between players and fewer points of view.  Squadrons are 12 at full strength, a ship would be approximately half that.  i feel that 3 is too small of a number to adequately create meaningful stories.

also, at this point the Atrus is not involved in the Service, unless Den wishes to take her out for a spin.

PS: and don't call me 'At' i am not a preposition, please use either Driver or 'G'...thank you
Arturo
ComNet Initiate
Imperial Baronet

Arturo

[VE-NAVY] Senior Crewman

Post Number:  123
November 16, 2009 12:07:32 AM    View the profile of Arturo 
You always have the most heart-warming and inspirational things to say to people, Driver.

/me agrees with the number 5 being an appropriate number for the number of people to have aboard the Number

Arturo's list of things to ponder:

-What happens if CSS overpowers SFC?  Would we have 40 bridge crews and a flight of pilots?

-What of the idea of having a "Top Gun" award?

-What if we could "detach" a Flight from a squadron and have it join a capital ship on a mission?  Or have its own mission?

-How are we going to implement this, and be successful with our current number of active bodies?

Thanks for the IRC chat, Driver.
SCRW Arturo Lee
Imperial Baronet
[This message has been edited by Arturo (edited November 16, 2009 12:23:53 AM)]
[This message has been edited by Arturo (edited November 16, 2009 12:48:28 AM)]
Gunnay
ComNet Cadet

Gunnay

[VE-NAVY] Senior Crewman

Post Number:  297
November 16, 2009 7:01:58 AM    View the profile of Gunnay 
@Driver: You could have the capital ships linked, say have 2 manned capital ships in a group to start (6 people). As those people progress, XOs can be given command of new ships, TACs move up to XO and eventually to their own ship, until that group of 2 ships is actually a group of 6 ships, with 6 ship COs (and one of them a Task Force CO or something).
Atrasin
ComNet Member

Atrasin

[VE-NAVY] Lt. Commander

Post Number:  737
November 16, 2009 7:19:16 AM    View the profile of Atrasin 
you could do all of those things, Gunnay...

however, i restate, that i believe that 3 is too small of a number. you would HAVE to do all the things you suggested in order to get a sufficient ammount of people to generate an interesting story.

look at the squadrons, when you get down to 3 or 4 people posting, the story becomes rather one sided. more people, more POV, more fun.
StOrMz
ComNet Marshal
Imperial Baronet

StOrMz

[VE-NAVY] 1st Lieutenant
[VE-VEEC] Ink Slinger

Post Number:  978
November 16, 2009 9:23:00 AM    View the profile of StOrMz 
OOC:
The following is a proposal I created for the Commanders of the navy to collaborate on last September.

=== The System ===

As mentioned above, this new system begins in the Naval Academy. Right
now, there is only one thing for a new recruit to do once out of the
Academy. What this system does is gives anyone who receives a 100% on
their Aviators Exam the ability to choose whether they wish to become
a member of an active squadron within the Navy or become a crewman
aboard a frigate.

I feel that my version will allow for more opportunities
within the Navy and give us some fresh things to look forward to.

=== How the System Works ===

For a new recruit to be able to access this, he must first pass the AE. After that, he will be asked whether he wishes to attain a position on a Ship rather than being placed in a squadron.

If he agrees to the latter, he must select a position and study the
information about it.

Once finished, the recruit will need to submit one or two story posts involving their position. If they pass, they will be promoted and given the position.

The crewman will have no more or less rights than a standard flight
member, the only difference would be what they write about.

For this system to work, multiple recruits will need to be placed
under the command of the Ship Captain. This could be done as something similar to a squadron.

=== Possible Roles ===

There are a few roles that pop into my head at this time. They are:

For Leading Crewman and above:
> Turbolaser Operator
> Communications Operator
> Mechanic
> Shield Operator

For Chief Petty Officer and above:
> Gunnery Officer/ XO
> Communications Officer/ XO
> Technical Officer/ XO
> Shield Control Officer/ XO

Obviously, the "Officer's" positions will be a higher rank. There
could also be an XO type position for each different role. Also, each
role could be its own "squadron" of sorts.

=== Ship Layout ===

ISD-II Suspense

Ship Captain: C-3PX2
Ship XO: Denethor

= Gunnery =

Gunnery Officer: Stormz
Gunnery XO: Fulfiller
Turbolaser Commander: Tizzir
Turbolaser Gunner: Hunter-Morrell
Ion Battery Commander: Shazam
Ion Battery Gunner: Bjorkfrid

= Communications =

Comm Officer: Ibram
Comm XO: Tomas
Comm Operator: Sicario

= Shields =

Shield Control Commander: Gsh'lecc
Shield Control XO: Kane
Shield Operator: Blue-Leader

Seeing as how some roles have multiple positions (i.e. Capital Ships have multiple turbolasers, allowing for more than one operator) we could design the "squadrons" around that concept.

Gunnay
ComNet Cadet

Gunnay

[VE-NAVY] Senior Crewman

Post Number:  299
November 16, 2009 9:24:06 AM    View the profile of Gunnay 
I wish we knew how this was all going to be setup. I want to defend my positions and ideas, but it's hard to defend eight different things! lol@me :-p

For this particular idea, however, I said lets make the Navy (or CSS as some of you have been calling it) a higher-level thing. You have to be at a certain place to get into it. And as you said, Driver, vets will be starting this.

Another way to look at my idea is have the CSS work together like a single squadron. Make a ship be like a flight, starting out with 3 people aboard. This of course could expand to 3 people on 3 different ships.

If you have 9 people in the CSS on 3 ships, you could have all 9 actively working on the same story, much like a squadron works. After the CO of each ship posts what needs to be done, the CO, XO and TAC of each ship can all actively post.

Say the task force is taking on a Rebel task force. Ship one has one objective (just like, say, Viper Flight 1), ship two has another objective (Viper Flight 2) and ship 3 has a third objective (Viper Flight 3). They will all post what their "flight" is doing. Instead of promoting people out of the flight, they'd get promoted to a new ship that is in the flight. So if I'm the XO of a VSD, I might get promoted to the CO of a Carrack Cruiser (just an example) that works in conjunction with the VSD and I'd answer to the CO of the VSD. That person would stay in their flight, but operate their own capital ship.

Let me know if that makes sense Atrasin. I'm not going to lie, being able to give ideas and bouncing them off each other is really fun and I'm having a great time with it! I look forward to seeing what you come up with next!
Atrasin
ComNet Member

Atrasin

[VE-NAVY] Lt. Commander

Post Number:  740
November 16, 2009 9:27:37 AM    View the profile of Atrasin 
not too far off of my latest CSS proposal...

i'd say it's good, but lose 2 of the 3 ranks for Gunnery, shieds and comm.  make the member work their way up those positions by interacting w/NPC's.

ie: Boomer would join the ship as the Comm Operator. he' have an NPC XO and Officer (as would the ship as a whole). he'd work his way up to XO (keeping the NPC Officer and now replacing him w/an NPC Opp), and finally up to Comm Officer and the XO and Opp slots be NPC's

might sound complicated, but not really. it also keeps us from having to place 12 members on 1 ship, as opposed to 5. more ships, more missions, more fun.
StOrMz
ComNet Marshal
Imperial Baronet

StOrMz

[VE-NAVY] 1st Lieutenant
[VE-VEEC] Ink Slinger

Post Number:  979
November 16, 2009 9:45:56 AM    View the profile of StOrMz 
That is a great idea actually. We currently don't have the numbers to fill all the positions i proposed, so by keeping them open yet filling them with NPC's we would effectively have more people to write about/with and still retain the structure of a ship.

Going along with the ideas of what you and I have discussed on IRC. A recruit could start as an Operator, having an NPC for the XO/CO position of his desired field of study. As he gains in experience he could replace the XO/CO (with the Ship Captain's approval).

As we gain in membership, we would of course have to add ships to the line. Coming up with our number we decided upon (5-6 members per ship at max), that will allow for good C/D and stories without them being too crowded. During fleet battles (which would be the eqivalent of a Wing story) only 25 people (at the most) would be collaborating, which in my opinion, is a good number.

Gunnay
ComNet Member

Gunnay

[VE-NAVY] Senior Crewman

Post Number:  300
November 16, 2009 9:55:56 AM    View the profile of Gunnay 
I think Atrasin just brought the entire CSS idea together in one post. I have nothing more to say.

In my lowly position as Senior Crewman and Flight Member, I support this idea.
Shazam
ComNet Marshal

Shazam

[VE-NAVY] Commodore
[VE-VEEC] Journalist

Post Number:  3703
Total Posts:  4197
November 16, 2009 4:53:29 PM    View the profile of Shazam 
Howdy- I have a slightly modified proposal.  I essentially agree with you guys on the stuff regarding how the higher-ups would operate: 3-5 guys commanding a ship sounds like a pretty decent and advantageous position to write from.  The only area I tend to disagree with is when someone proposes to involve members of lower rank, namely because I'm not convinced that these positions (gunners, mechanic, etc) are positions that can be reasonably supported by lower ranking members.  These positions have no precedence at this point, and the guidelines for new positions could take a while to put together.  I think maybe having some advantageous members jump on-board ships and head special crews (maybe we could say they went to training for a couple months? Have them write a personal story using their skill) might be fun.  Or having squadrons do some ship duties during "Down-Time" which will be elaborated on soon, I think.  However, putting new recruits into these positions while the guidelines are still being written is a dangerous move: new recruits are unpredictable and may or may not take to the challenge in the same ways.  If you're wondering what I mean by challenge, I refer to the fact that as a gunner or electrician or whatever, you're still on board a ship and performing one duty: a pilot is not like that.  Perhaps you could figure out enough roles and duties to make it as interesting as a pilot, but that takes time.  Point is: think we may be biting off more than we can chew, with this.

Furthermore, I'm curious as to how we would move folks up the chain?  Did you want to start at a lower gunner, then move up to head gunner, and then weapons' specialist, and then weapon's officer?  That's four positions for ranks starting near the bottom or, even the middle.  So: the positions to ranks ratio is a bit topsy-turvey as well. 

Therefore, I propose that the CSS be something that you work toward and progress to over your career.  Some may get there faster than others: 6-8 months, some may take a year.  Some may even be returning vets?  Either way, I think that three-five people commanding a ship is a good way to start; we can explore roles and duties from there.  Maybe lower roles will develop on their own?  So- I'm not completely opposed to you guys or anything, but I do think that you're asking for a lot of work for a system that may be pretty limited (in story) already.  There it is, lol.  BLAH!
*Flash Was Here...*

FM/COM Shazam/Nazgul 3-4/Phoenix Wing/mSSD Atrus/1VENF/VEN (=A=) (=*SA*=) (=MA=) (=*FOCE*=) [CBV*] [LoM] [LSM] [MC2] [VC:S] [SV*] [DSM] [KC] {Platinum Writing Medal}
[This message has been edited by Shazam (edited November 16, 2009 6:02:01 PM)]
Drac
ComNet Member

Drac

[VE-NAVY] Senior Chief Petty Officer

Post Number:  496
Total Posts:  2191
November 16, 2009 6:01:26 PM    View the profile of Drac 
I imagine communications would be face-to-face and through the ship's comm network.

As for jobs, that's an area that's really up to the writer. Someone with an eye for detail will excel, whereas a member who writes in general terms will find little to write about.

Elements CSS members could bring up during a post:
-Main Task (Ex: Firing a turbolaser)
-Basic damage control/Repairs
-Assisting with the removal of wounded
-Dealing with misc problems (Ex: Hatch gets sealed shut, locking them in. Ship begins losing air pressure due to hull breach. Etc, etc)
-Communicating with superiors and subordinates (Ex: Discussion, receiving orders, giving orders)
-Repeling boarders (occasionally)

Those are off the top of my head, created in just a few minutes. Crewing in the CSS will be a challenge, for sure, but creativity tames even the most savage RPing beast.

-Drac
SXO/SCPO Drac/Nazgul 3-9/Phoenix Wing/mSSD Atrus/1st Imperial Fleet/VEN/VE
(=*A*=)(=*SA*=) [SoA][MC:2][MC:1][NSR:H][NT:H]

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep in order to gain what he cannot lose.
Drac's VE Wiki Profile: http://www.vastempire.com/wiki/index.php?title=Drac
Shazam
ComNet Marshal

Shazam

[VE-NAVY] Commodore
[VE-VEEC] Journalist

Post Number:  3708
November 16, 2009 6:03:35 PM    View the profile of Shazam 
True- perhaps a little testing, as Ibram suggested, would be good?  Some basic structure would be necessary for getting these folks to communicate though.  How does a gunner interact with a medic, for instance, even though their in the same "squadron" so to speak?
*Flash Was Here...*

FM/COM Shazam/Nazgul 3-4/Phoenix Wing/mSSD Atrus/1VENF/VEN (=A=) (=*SA*=) (=MA=) (=*FOCE*=) [CBV*] [LoM] [LSM] [MC2] [VC:S] [SV*] [DSM] [KC] {Platinum Writing Medal}
Drac
ComNet Member

Drac

Post Number:  498
November 16, 2009 6:08:39 PM    View the profile of Drac 
"Medic! Medic! Kriffing hell! He's nearly cut in two!"

Will that work?

On a serious note: I think we could create loose standards for that sort of interaction- just a list of things that need to be included: (Using the Medic as an example)
-Initial contact w/ Medic
-Reports location
-Reports type of injury, location on body, and severity
-Adds details as to blood loss, shock, etc
-Follows Medic's orders for First Aid until the Medic's arrival
-Provides whatever assistance the Medic requires

Done right, that interaction should last two or three posts each.

-Drac

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep in order to gain what he cannot lose.
[This message has been edited by Drac (edited November 16, 2009 6:12:02 PM)]
Shazam
ComNet Marshal

Shazam

[VE-NAVY] Commodore
[VE-VEEC] Journalist

Post Number:  3712
November 16, 2009 6:11:22 PM    View the profile of Shazam 
*Nods but has his doubts, lol*  I'd still like to see it in action.  One thing that is a plus about this idea, actually, and could be a motivator is the fact that members, legitimately, have no serious roles in determining the plot.  Thus, the fear that they will screw something up is removed, and they can, as you've said, be immeasurably creative.  The focus would move from developing plot, however, to developing characters and creating events of interest: which is challenging.  Thus- let's see it put to use, maybe.
*Flash Was Here...*

Drac
ComNet Member

Drac

Post Number:  499
November 16, 2009 6:12:24 PM    View the profile of Drac 
*see edit in above post*

-Drac

Arturo
ComNet Initiate
Imperial Baronet

Arturo

[VE-NAVY] Senior Crewman

Post Number:  127
November 16, 2009 7:30:00 PM    View the profile of Arturo 
These will be some loooong stories then if giving a guy first aid will last 2-3 posts

But, is that such a bad thing after all?
SCRW Arturo Lee
Imperial Baronet
FM/SCRW Arturo Lee/Nazgul 3-3/Phoenix Wing/mSSD Atrus/1FLT/VEN/VE/(=*A*=)[SoA]
Gunnay
ComNet Member

Gunnay

[VE-NAVY] Senior Crewman

Post Number:  302
November 16, 2009 9:10:02 PM    View the profile of Gunnay 
Okay, here's another whole new idea :-p I don't know why I keep trying lol, but anyways:

VEN = 1 x Battlegroup

1 x Battlegroup (BG) =
  1 x BG Flag Ship
      -1 x BG CO
  3 x Task Force

1 x Task Force (TF) =
  1 x Flag Ship =
      -1 x Task Force/Flag Ship CO
      -1 x Flag Ship XO
      -1 x CTO
      -1 x CWO
  3 x Capital Ships =
      -1 x Ship CO
      -1 x Ship XO (optional)

Bridge Officer Progression:
  1) Ship CO
  2) Ship XO
  3) CTO / CWO

Tactical Officer / Weapons Officer Progression:
  1) Chief Tactical Officer (CTO) / Chief Weapons Officer (CWO)
  2) Tactical Executive Officer (TXO) / Weapons Executive Officer (WXO)
  3) Ship Tactical Operator (STO) / Ship Weapons Operator (SWO)

I'm going to be jumping around a bit here so try and stay with me, it's not that complicated :-p

So, the way it would work is to start with 4 members (the testing phase). Each would take a place on the Flag Ship. You'll have a CO (who also commands the Task Force), an XO, Tactical Officer and Weapons Officer. The members will start at the Operator level and work their way up to Chief Weapons and Chief Tactical Officer. When the XO is promoted to command one of the other 3 Capital Ships, the XO spot comes open for either the CWO or CTO to take over. That opens up the Weapons or Tactical Operator position for a new recruit to take over.

When it is decided whether or not to open up the Capital Ship Service to all members, you can open the other two Task Forces. Promote the TF CO to BG CO and the other 3 to lead the TFs. This Battlegroup acts the same as a squadron, 3 TFs with 4 members each = 12 members. If the CSS needs more then one Battlegroup, open up another, just like you would a squadron. If it needs less, only open 2 TFs

Look at the Task Forces as a flight in a squadron. This system works better because it has goals to work toward while the members are in their flight. Each TF (or flight) always has 4 members (or however many), just those members get to work up the ranks aboard a ship to get the hang of the CSS and then they get to take control of their own ship.

I'm not sure about the CWO/CTO Progression. I was also thinking of something more else like this as a replacement:

Bridge  Progression
1) 1 x Ship CO
2) 1 x Ship XO
3) 1 x Ship TAC (Tactical Officer)

TAC Progression
1) Ship Tactical Officer
2) Weapons Operator
3) Shields Operator

In this form, there'd still be a ship CO and XO. The thing that would change would there would be two members "learning the ropes" in the form of the Tactical Officer Progression. They'd start out as writing about Shields, get promoted to Weapons and finally to the Ship TAC. They would get a taste of writing about shields, weapons, and tactical decisions, the basics for running your own ship.

It would be somewhat competitive between the two members going through Tactical Progression if they come in at the same time to see who can get there first, as there is only one per ship.

And... I'm spent.
Atrasin
ComNet Member

Atrasin

[VE-NAVY] Lt. Commander

Post Number:  744
November 16, 2009 10:51:41 PM    View the profile of Atrasin 
Shaz,

i see your point w/new recruits. how bout, to start, we take the crew members from the existing squadrons. we'd still require them to start at the lower level of the ship and work their way up. there would still be NPC char. to fill the unused slots and the mem could work their way up.

as to the point of 'not enough to do' that's why we have the NPC's the mem. who is, say, the Engineer would be able to write themselves the NPC Engineering XO and the NPC Chief Engineeer.  that should give them plenty to 'do'.

as to the point of squadrons workin in 'ship time' i'm not for that. the idea of an elite squadron pulling bridge duty is a little off to me, however i'd be in favor of Stormz' suggestion that we detach a Flight at a time to cycle in some 'ship duty'

i still believe we need to make the CSS a viable stand alone option like the SFC.  once it's established we'd have enough vets that we could place noobs at the lower levels in the various ships and not loose a step.

there you are...
Willtconq
ComNet Sage

Willtconq

[VE-NAVY] 1st Lieutenant

Post Number:  3788
Total Posts:  4599
November 17, 2009 9:20:38 PM    View the profile of Willtconq 
For some that are really really interested in being part of the CSS program, I would suggest watching a bit of Battlestar Galactica. In my opinion, it provided a lot of details and information on what running and being part of a capitol ship should be like. At the same time, give a lot of ideas for possible positions that would be good for development and for members to write about.

Also, seperately, once we have the CSS program off the ground, we might include a flight of fighters on the ship, fighters are an essential part of a tast force. Right now, we have almost zero interactions with anyone outside our squadrons. (Unless we purposely get into bar fights.) And any little interactions we do get are very little, undeveloped, relationships, as opposed to if they were consistent members. But this can be added at a later time.
-(William the Conquerer)-
Ex Ship Captain of Tiamut
King of PPC 16,000 clicks and counting
"A dishonest man, you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're gonna do something incredibly stupid." - Captain Jack Sparrow
"Happy endings are just stories that haven't finished yet." - Jane Smith
FM/1LT Willtconq/Nazgul 2-4/Phoenix Wing/mSSD Atrus/1st Fleet/VEN/VE (=*A*=) (=*SA*=)(=^MA^=) [VC:S][SV][BWC][SWC][LSM][CBV][NC]
Imperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars Image
ComNet > Imperial Navy > Archived Navy Main ComNet > Capital Ship Service Discussion  |  New Posts    
  Pages:  [ 1 2 3 4 ]   

All times are CST. The time now is 1:40:54 AM
Comnet Jump:

Current Online Members - 0  |  Guests - 296  |  Bots - 0

< Contact Us - The Vast Empire >