Argon Viper
ComNet Expert

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-VEEC] Senior Writer

Post Number:  1789
Total Posts:  1789
  RE: Argon's turn to bring Philosophy
April 9, 2002 8:58:09 PM    View the profile of Argon Viper 
Or a japanese blade like I plan to do once I have my own house    As to Bear's comment, he's right and I can't believe I didn't notice that little niche of speach there...  If a person can't be given proper training for a weapon, then he shouldn't have it.  This includes things like daggers, swords, and yes, even baseball bats. The fact that you can swing a baseball bat is inconsequential if the burgler is quick enough to duck, and with a wild swing like that, you're likely to hit something else as well.  Now imagine a sword or a dagger. Besides, learning to use those hand to hand weapons is good excersize, and should be done anyway as they teach self defense skills even without them. Also, since these classes would be at least semi-government run, they could keep the formerly convicted felons out of it. Anyways, that's yet another rant there, hope you enjoyed it 

-----------------------
Argon Viper
"History is on the move, those who cannot keep up will watch from a distance, and those who get in our way will not watch at all" - Grand Admiral Thrawn
"How boring life would be if everyone felt the same way we do..." - Argon Viper
"Condemnation does not liberate, it oppresses" - Carl G Jung
"The way of peace is always better than the way of war, it's just not as fast" - Argon Viper
Bear
ComNet Member

[VE-NAVY] Captain (CAP)
[VE-VEEC] Chief Editor

Post Number:  949
Total Posts:  947
April 11, 2002 6:01:55 AM    View the profile of Bear 
I agree, I agree, blah blah blah.. Oh, except one thing. Surely the convicted felons are going to be the ones most likely to use guns? In Scotland, the government has a theory.. a lot of people are going to take drugs, a lot of people are going to get pregnant when they're 13, a lot of people are going to beat people up with a broken bottle.. so, instead of flogging a dead donkey trying to stop us, they try to show us how to do it properly.. and no, I don't mean they hand out syringes (although they DO hand out condoms for free.. wahey!), but they try to show us how to be sensible with drugs etc. So.. yes, stop criminals carrying weapons outside their own homes. But, no matter how hard you try, some ex-armed robber somewhere is probably going to keep a gun in his/her house, so you might as well make sure he doesn't accidently blow his head off. After all, if a criminal has a licence showing he can use a gun, he's less likely to keep the safety catch off when he robs the local liquor store, and so less likey to accidently shoot someone. Another thing I learnt yesterday.. Everyone these days has a cell phone, right? Did you know the microwaves from cell phones can set off the explosives in bullets? You could have your cell phone in one pocket and your pistol in the same one.. the phone rings.. and you just lost everything from the belly-button down. Theoretically, anyway

-----------------------
CMDR/CAP Aaron 'Bear' Le'pue/Flight School 1/Training Fleet/Plt Saratoga/VEN/VE (=A=) (=SA=) (=FOCE=) (=JCPA=) [BRC] [BRC] [LSM] [LoC] [NDM]
VE Today Chief Editor
-----------------------
Bear - [email protected]
Vast Empire Today - [email protected]
Bear
ComNet Member

[VE-NAVY] Captain (CAP)
[VE-VEEC] Chief Editor

Post Number:  949
Total Posts:  947
April 11, 2002 6:03:51 AM    View the profile of Bear 
Actually.. wait.. I just remembered. The government DOES give out free syringes to drug addicts, although its to stop the spread of AIDS.. They also give free methodone to heroine addicts trying to get clean. But they still won't legalise marijuana

-----------------------
CMDR/CAP Aaron 'Bear' Le'pue/Flight School 1/Training Fleet/Plt Saratoga/VEN/VE (=A=) (=SA=) (=FOCE=) (=JCPA=) [BRC] [BRC] [LSM] [LoC] [NDM]
VE Today Chief Editor
-----------------------
Bear - [email protected]
Vast Empire Today - [email protected]
Fury
ComNet Overlord

[VE-ARMY] High General
[VE-VEHC] High General*

Post Number:  1578
Total Posts:  2689
April 11, 2002 9:32:09 AM    View the profile of Fury 
Aside from the updates from the Weekly World News, I'm gonna have to say I more or less agree with the basic premise. There are a few things which bother the hell out of me concerning what people know and don't know. I think kindergarten should be a bit more productive than just day care interspersed with some light reading. Early on in school, since everyone complains you don't use much of what you learn during the rest of your life, we should see the early grades do the following instruction: Map reading (face it, no one knows where the hell they are going in the US) Firearm shooting and safety Cooking - Beyond the Microwave (granted you should wait until the student is taller than the stove top to do this) Fix the damn hole in your sock and other such repairs Defensive driving (Oklahoma has, hands down, the worst drivers I've ever seen) Self defense martial arts (if EVERYONE can kick your butt, you wouldn't try to mug them, would you?) Any other thoughts?

-----------------------
XO/LTC Fury/VEA/TADATH/VE [PoC][SotE:HC][SotE:VEA][IOC]
Company Commander
Shopkeeper - Imperial Center
Japheth
ComNet Veteran

[VE-DJO] Krath Templar (KT)
[VE-NAVY] Rear Admiral (RAD)
[VE-VEHC] Rear Admiral*

Post Number:  1197
Total Posts:  2517
April 11, 2002 3:50:05 PM    View the profile of Japheth 
Advance basic topics much more. After 3rd grade I didn't learn any of any significance until about 7th grade. Start kids in algebra at about.... 4th grade or so :P Calc before finnishing Middle School. More sciences early on... More english, less spelling. Other stuff... I dunno...

-----------------------
Captain Japheth Cappadocious, Dark Jedi Knight
Naval Executive Officer

so impressed with all you do
tried so hard to be like you
flew too high and burnt the wing
lost my faith in everything
ComNet > Neutral Messages > Archived Lounge > Argon's turn to bring Philosophy  |  New Posts    
  Pages:  [ 1 2 3 ]   

All times are CST. The time now is 10:44:26 PM
Comnet Jump:

Current Online Members - 0  |  Guests - 99  |  Bots - 2

< Contact Us - The Vast Empire >