Bear
ComNet Member

[VE-NAVY] Captain (CAP)
[VE-VEEC] Chief Editor

Post Number:  949
Total Posts:  947
  RE: Argon's turn to bring Philosophy
March 9, 2002 11:29:35 AM    View the profile of Bear 
I'd just like to clear up a thing or two about "the worst millitary move the US ever made": Kosovo. Slobadan Milosovic was ethnically clensing an entire race. They would have all be killed. What did we do? We went in to stop him, of course. By "we", I mean the West Europeans in NATO. We (British, Germans, French, Italians etc) launched attacks on Serbia from our own bases to stop Milosovic. Now the conflict is over, we (British, Germans, French, Italians etc) are trying him in a European Court in the Netherlands, for crimes against humanity. Serbia is in the centre of one of the most unstable regions in the world. Milosovic was carrying out crimes against humanity all over the place, under our noses. That, ladies and gentlemen, is why we went in there. The conflict could have gone on for a lot longer, except for one thing. What, you might ask? The involvement of the US. The US is a full member of NATO, and the strongest, so the rest of NATO asked it to come into the conflict to put an end to it quickly. Which they did, very successfully. The bottom line is.. Kosovo was a conflict to stop a madman killing a lot of people. NATO went in, and practically stopped him. Then the US came in, put their full weight against them (basically by putting an aircraft carrier or two in the sea next to it), and the Serbian government revolted and crumbled. Milosovic was captured, and will be very lucky to get a sentance less than life. In all, a madman was stopped, and a tyranical government was crumbled into nothing. The area was made just a little bit more stable.. a lot of good was done. JMac, or anyone else, if you keep up with this "Kosovo was all about hiding the fact that Clinton's secretary was blowing him off every day", I'll personally go over to Kosovo, find a mass grave of people Milosovic killed, and bury you in it.

-----------------------
AAMB/LCM Bear/VEHC/VE
------------
RET/LCM Bear/mSSD Atrus/VEN/VE (=A=) (=SA=) (=FOCE=) (=JCPA=) [BRC] [BRC] [NDM] [LSM]
------------
TRP/LCPL Grizzly/3SQD/1PLT/1COMP/1BAT/1REG/Lorn IV/VEA 
Raziel
ComNet Member

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-DJO] Dark Jedi Knight (DJK)

Post Number:  864
Total Posts:  2873
March 9, 2002 12:38:38 AM    View the profile of Raziel 
lol an american who actually supports bush? havent seen one of them before

-----------------------
SL/1SGTRaziel/4SQD/1COMP/1BAT/1RGT/Tadath/VEA/ {EW1}
Squad Leader - Squad4 Wraiths
Fury
ComNet Overlord

[VE-ARMY] High General
[VE-VEHC] High General*

Post Number:  1578
Total Posts:  2689
March 9, 2002 1:48:14 PM    View the profile of Fury 
One of the most amazing things about America that few people know are how stinking puritanical we are.  For that group, Clinton is a symbol of all that is wrong with our country.  I don't agree with them but that should explain things for those of you scratching your heads about the whole business. In my eyes, the guy was guilty of a) being a lousy husband and b) having horrible investment strategies.  Other than that, he was left (as all presidents are) with tricky geopolitical situations.  The thing about that was he (gasp!) actually wanted to know what the world thought before acting, unlike other un-named presidents who just think the rest of the world are (here ya go Bear and Fish) second billing actors in this play called America.  I'm never gonna convince JMac that all politicians are by nature corrupt and self-serving.  I will also never show that there are very few people who could've handled the Balkans and Somalia much better (other than a bigger commitment of firepower, which no Democratic prez could've pulled off without a Republican Congress going apesh*t).  Look to Northern Ireland, look to the quickly ignored and unravelling Middle Eastern situation.  Look at southeast Asia.  These are where we had made headway - ground quickly being lost as our neighboring nations freak out over our current leadership. We may or may not still be the No. 1 nation in the world, I won't agree or disagree with any arguments there.  But please stop deluding yourself that we were led by the devil and are currently under the administration of the Second Coming.  Neither are true.  The military, while shrunken, was done as we (as Argon has pointed out) have no need to plant half a million troops anywhere in the world.  Bush the First would've done the same things for the most part.  We still have power of projection in the world, more so than a lot of nations are comfortable with today. In a few years we'll see how relevant W still is, how "moral" we look in the eyes of the world, how culturally open and free we are.  I expect that he will always be judged more as a good administrator than a leader.  Which is not a bad thing; but face it, its his staff that does the work - and for that at least, I am thankful.  At least he knows his shortcomings. 

-----------------------
XO/LTC Fury/VEA/TADATH/VE [PoC][SotE:HC][SotE:VEA][IOC]
Company Commander
Shopkeeper - Imperial Center
Argon Viper
ComNet Expert

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-VEEC] Senior Writer

Post Number:  1789
Total Posts:  1789
March 10, 2002 8:34:44 PM    View the profile of Argon Viper 
I would like to share a story that just came to my attention.  Apparently, the LA Times got ahold of a paper from G.W. Bush informing the pentagon to prepare for war against seven distinct nations.  These nations are, in no particular order: Russia, China, North Korea, Syria, Libya, Iraq, and Iran.  The note also mentioned that the US might even go ahead with this without the approval of the world.  Also, instead of denying this, the administration simply pointed out that Russia is only on this list due to their massive amount of warheads, not any real threat.  How stupid will this get!?!  The possibility of invading Iraq without international support was bad enough, now we want to nuke them!?!?!  This from a guy who chokes on and nearly dies from a pretzel and then brags about it?  I don't know about you, but it hasn't even been two years into his presidency and I'm already sick of him. Also, I'd like to point out that Bear and Fury make a lot of very good points there.  One of the main problems I see with Americans is a tendency to see things in black and white, with the US always being white.  It's not that simple.  The real world(which many Americans are woefully unprepared for) is, in actuality, millions upon trillions of shades of grey, and the true color of a cause/object/person depends on how you look at them.  I can pronounce something as mostly grey(Bush), and you might look at it and tell me it's pure white.  There is no universal good or evil(I'd like to make this point), it's just how we see things.  Please take this into consideration before judging anything.  As for the first paragraph where I flamed Bush(admittedly), I'm not trying to tell you he's evil from any point of view, I'm trying to tell you that he's stupid from any political point of view.  Thank you.

-----------------------
Argon Viper
"History is on the move, those who cannot keep up will watch from a distance, and those who get in our way will not watch at all" - Grand Admiral Thrawn
"How boring life would be if everyone felt the same way we do..." - Argon Viper
"Condemnation does not liberate, it oppresses" - Carl G Jung
"The way of peace is always better than the way of war, it's just not as fast" - Argon Viper
Fury
ComNet Overlord

[VE-ARMY] High General
[VE-VEHC] High General*

March 11, 2002 9:46:04 AM    View the profile of Fury 
I'd like to back Argon up on that concept...especially going back to the whole "axis of evil" comment that has been thrown around the past couple of months. No particular group of people - or even person - is purely evil.  I know a lot of people get demonized in events like this.  It doesn't mean that they never had a good reason for doing what they did.  I work and live in a college campus, up in the married student housing area.  This means that almost all my neighbors are from some other part of the country if not world.  In my block of 12 apartments are representatives of China, India, Singapore, France, Korea, Japan, a couple of African nations (they moved in recently so I don't know which exactly) and at least a South American and another Southeast Asian nation here and there; plus representatives of four distinct American racial groups.  I may be in the sticks in Oklahoma, but my neighborhood is the world.  My point is this - every single member of our neighborhood was outraged on September 11th.  I spent two weeks or more explaining to all our Muslim friends and neighbors that they didn't have to apologize about what happened. Not a day went by that someone wouldn't try to do that, and you had to feel bad for what they were going through. If anything, they were embarrassed and shocked more than anything else.  And I have no illusions that they don't all like this country or the way we do things.  It doesn't mean they wanted to destroy a chunk of New York City or see average citizens falling out of tall buildings. It's been six months since this all happened, and while the media tries to beat in your head the message that we should never give up defending our way of life (which I do not disagree with), remember this: we are not out to kill off people who are different from us.  We are working (or should be anyway) to stop those who would try to harm us.  That's it.  No great changes, no annihilations of cultures, religions, thought patterns, etc. should be expected or intended.    ----------------------- XO/LTC Fury/VEA/TADATH/VE [PoC][SotE:HC][SotE:VEA][IOC] Company Commander Shopkeeper - Imperial Center
[This message has been edited by Fury (edited March 11, 2002 9:51:59 AM)]
Argon Viper
ComNet Expert

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-VEEC] Senior Writer

March 11, 2002 7:20:55 PM    View the profile of Argon Viper 
Nice points there Fury, I really can't wait till I go off to college, leave this ultra-conservative town in the middle of nowhere behind    Just so everyone knows, I live at the tip of the sacramento valley, and about 1% of the population here votes something other than straight republican ticket... Anyways, did anyone here Bush's speech to a Chinese univerisity?  "95% of the people in my country believe in God, and I am one of them."  I'd like to ask someone to explain to me what that had to do with anything.  Also, he got the numbers wrong, even though only 5% of the US is athiest, another 15% are down as agnostic, so they don't believe in God... Well, that's my stuff for today 

-----------------------
Argon Viper
"History is on the move, those who cannot keep up will watch from a distance, and those who get in our way will not watch at all" - Grand Admiral Thrawn
"The way of peace is always better than the way of war, it's just not as fast" - Argon Viper
Bear
ComNet Member

[VE-NAVY] Captain (CAP)
[VE-VEEC] Chief Editor

March 12, 2002 12:36:08 AM    View the profile of Bear 
On Argons point.. Everyone has been going on and on (mainly JMac) about how Muslims should not be killing people because it is against their religion. Now Bush, apparently a devout Christian, is going around killing people and locking people up against their will when there isn't any proof they have done anything (Camp X-Ray, whatever its called). If, as JMac says, Bin Laden has been killed, it will mean George Bush and everyone who supports him are just as evil as Bin Laden - because they have killed too. The world will only begin to live in peace when people stop trying to hurt each other. On another note.. Bush says we should attack Iraq, because they apparently have weapons of mass-destruction. I see nothing wrong with that.. except that they could mis-use them, of course. So Bush is justified. HOWEVER, for many decades during the Cold War, the US had hundreds (perhaps thousands?) of nuclear warheads aimed at Russia, and dozens of submarines carrying a few missiles each. If they had been fired, not one of us would survive today. That, ladies and gentlemen, is mis-use of weapons of mass-destruction. Until the UN goes into the US (and the rest of NATO, for that matter) and destroys all of their weapons of mass destruction, the US is not and will never be justified to attack anyone for the reason above.

-----------------------
AAMB/LCM Bear/VEHC/VE
------------
RET/LCM Bear/mSSD Atrus/VEN/VE (=A=) (=SA=) (=FOCE=) (=JCPA=) [BRC] [BRC] [NDM] [LSM]
------------
TRP/CPL Grizzly/3SQD/1PLT/1COMP/1BAT/1REG/Lorn IV/VEA 
------------
"There are lies, damn lies.. and facts" - Winston Churchill
Bear
ComNet Member

[VE-NAVY] Captain (CAP)
[VE-VEEC] Chief Editor

March 12, 2002 12:41:49 AM    View the profile of Bear 
Oh, and before JMac says "But.. but.. the US uses them sensibly!!", I'll respond.. The American president is Commander-In-Chief of the US Armed Forces. This gives him ultimate power over nuclear weapons and conventional forces. However, the President was ELECTED by the COMMON PEOPLE, who don't have a clue about the millitary. Bush may be able to make more Americans achieve the American Dream, but when it comes to nuclear missiles.. Well, think about it. Would you let a man who's only experience of the Armed Forces is the National Guard, control thousands of weapons? I wouldn't. Therefore, the US can't "control" its use of nuclear weapons. The Commanders of the Navy, Army and Air Force can't do it either, although they have far more experience in the matter.. why? Because Bush is their boss. Bush is a common person.. He is not a soldier. If you had to give a missile to me, or to a US Army Ranger, who would you give it to? I rest my case

-----------------------
AAMB/LCM Bear/VEHC/VE
------------
------------
------------
"There are lies, damn lies.. and facts" - Winston Churchill
JMac
ComNet Veteran

[VE-NAVY] Lt. Commander (LCM)

Post Number:  1029
Total Posts:  1216
March 12, 2002 1:23:40 PM    View the profile of JMac 
Argon, even if you move, you'll still have to deal with me Anyway, onto business.  Bear, I said nothing about religion.  Actually, saying that Christianity is against killing is a commonly held misconception made by mistranslation of the original bible.  The commandment acually is:  Though shall not MURDER.  That is the key difference.  killing a soldier is not murder, it is war.  That is not to say that it still isn't wrong, it just means that there is nothing in my religion that says KILLING is wrong.  You are correct that the best thing to do would be to eliminate nukes.  The problem is that it is just not feasable to do so.  The world is a huge place, and it is very easy to hide weapons.  Should we all destroy our nukes someone that then brought out a hidden nuke, or built one, would have incredible power.  It is just not feasable to completely disarm.  What we can do is try to make it a bit safer.  iraq has already been shown to be uncreadibly unstabe, particularly its leader.  This means that Nukes are much less unlikely to be used there then they would be to be launched from the USA or other Nato members.

-----------------------
[army] Fishman
FM/LCRW JMac/Aegis 3-4/Aegis 12/(=A=)(MC1)
"I know life isn't fair, but why can't it ever be unfair in my favor?."
"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
Tall, dark, handsome, and all around stud.
JMac
ComNet Veteran

March 12, 2002 1:23:41 PM    View the profile of JMac 
[This message has been edited by JMac (edited March 13, 2002 8:05:00 AM)]
JMac
ComNet Veteran

March 12, 2002 1:23:42 PM    View the profile of JMac 
[This message has been edited by JMac (edited March 13, 2002 8:00:07 AM)]
JMac
ComNet Veteran

March 12, 2002 1:23:42 PM    View the profile of JMac 
[This message has been edited by JMac (edited March 13, 2002 7:59:08 AM)]
JMac
ComNet Veteran

March 12, 2002 1:25:06 PM    View the profile of JMac 
[This message has been edited by JMac (edited March 13, 2002 7:58:29 AM)]
Fury
ComNet Overlord

[VE-ARMY] High General
[VE-VEHC] High General*

March 13, 2002 1:35:56 AM    View the profile of Fury 
Bear, that has got to be the most simplistic, illogical assessment of the nuclear strategy of the US that I've ever seen.  Unlike Reagan's joke in the 80s, you can't just look up from a cheese sandwich and go, "Hey, let's lob a buncha nukes before dessert" and expect it to happen.  Plus, since you're Scottish, you can't get control of our nukes, and the Brits likely would never let you do so either. If the US ever resorts to using nuclear weapons again, you should be really afraid; as that means our navy, air force, and ground forces cannot contain a situation.  That's a whole lot of dead gyrenes laying on some beach somewhere.  If our conventional forces were gone, Western Europe would be sitting ducks anyway and you'd probably be glad to toss in a couple sub-launched UK nukes yourselves. I think the real scary thing are all the French-controlled nukes laying around.  Try to go to bed safely while you consider that situation. And JMac, I think I speak for everyone when I ask that you delete a few of those items.

-----------------------
Company Commander
JMac
ComNet Veteran

March 13, 2002 8:03:14 AM    View the profile of JMac 
/me applauds Fury for his post. Sorry about the 6 or so identical posts.  my school's server sucks and as a result this kindof thing happens.  Posting me as Liquid Sna, multiple posts, etc.   ----------------------- [army] Fishman FM/LCRW JMac/Aegis 3-4/Aegis 12/(=A=)(MC1) "I know life isn't fair, but why can't it ever be unfair in my favor?." "Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused." Tall, dark, handsome, and all around stud.
[This message has been edited by JMac (edited March 13, 2002 8:04:04 AM)]
Argon Viper
ComNet Expert

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-VEEC] Senior Writer

March 17, 2002 6:21:36 PM    View the profile of Argon Viper 
JMac, I'd much rather debate with you than the people from my school.  For one thing, I can tell that you listen to me before you respond to what I have to say.  The people at school...  well, the only responses I've been able to get out of them are "You're going to hell" and "You don't deserve to live in America".  Big difference there    As to nukes, I'd like to ask how our massive nuclear arsenal would help us if a random, small terrorist group nuked a major city.  Naturally, it would help us if someone like North Korea, China, or Iraq launched nukes(Even though Iraq can barely hit Israel, much less the US...), but it is completely worthless against any threat that is likely to happen.  My opinion is, we can already nuke the world several times over, we have more than enough of the d*mn things.  If we really care about protecting ourselves, we'll cut the nuke program down to maintanance only and start spending our money on something that will actually protect us against a real threat.  I don't buy this "Iraq or North Korea might nuke us" stuff, they're not that suicidal, and we should know it.  The real problem is that by looking only at these old cold war stereotypes, we're ignoring the real problem. Once again, I'd like to point out how non-violence can help us(Hears a chorus of "not again"'s...).  Actually, since it's nothing more than a complete repeat of my earlier rant(which no one has managed to dissuade me from, I might add  ), just skip back to it a reread it     

-----------------------
Argon Viper
JMac
ComNet Veteran

March 18, 2002 8:04:50 AM    View the profile of JMac 
I agree with some of that.  We do not need to build more nukes.  Apparetly the government agrees too, because we actually are on mere maintenence.  What I was saying was that we can not disarm.  Iraq is certainly suicidal enough to attack us.  But that isn't the point.  We didn't see WW1 coming, we didn't see WW2 coming, so we probably won't see WW3 coming.  That is why we need to be ready.  We can never know exactly what is going to happen, so we need to be prepared for anything.  You already heard my rant on nonviolence, so I won't even go there. 

-----------------------
[army] Fishman
"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
Fury
ComNet Overlord

[VE-ARMY] High General
[VE-VEHC] High General*

March 18, 2002 10:34:28 AM    View the profile of Fury 
The only problem with nonviolence is that someone is always going to want what someone else has.  That may even be you someday.  And it's really hard to rationalize with a mugger with the Declaration of Human Rights, much less a nuclear power. You solve that mystery and I'll sign on. As for the nuke stockpile, you are both right.  We are on maintenance here in the US, but there are still too damn many of those evil things.  Then again, our greatest nuclear deterrent during the Bush Administration are that most of our advanced nukes are based in Texas.  Other than disposing of some of the ancient jobs up in Montana and the Dakotas, the bigger accumulation of hardpoint silos are in the Texas panhandle.  You don't honestly think he's try to make his home state a target, do you? The nuke arguement is a distraction.  Domestically, things are progressing a bit better every day, but not necessarily because of what our prez is doing.  It's kind of like Clinton in a way.  The home stuff is going down the tubes, none of your pet projects are getting approved, so you keep the focus on the international stage.  All presidents do it, sometimes domestic over foreign affairs, but you get the idea. The big issue here is the demonizing of different nations and the people in them.  The last thing we want to do is reinforce the perception that we are an arrogant, spiteful group of people.  We get enough bad press as it is without some imbecile in our government reinforcing that line of thought.  Case in point: we had some decent dialogue with Iran for about eight seconds before that whole "axis of evil" nonsence (whoever wrote that needs flogged).  Suddenly, they're pissed off at us again. Go figure, let's reinforce some more stereotypes while we're at it.

-----------------------
Company Commander
Argon Viper
ComNet Expert

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-VEEC] Senior Writer

March 18, 2002 10:51:23 PM    View the profile of Argon Viper 
Here, check out this site: http://www.satirewire.com/index.shtml A lot of hilarious stuff, but read about the "Axis of Evil" first  Can't stay too long right now, so I'll leave you with that 

-----------------------
Argon Viper
JMac
ComNet Veteran

March 21, 2002 7:52:50 AM    View the profile of JMac 
I completely agree.  That being said, how bout we move onto a different topic?

-----------------------
[army] Fishman
Argon Viper
ComNet Expert

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-VEEC] Senior Writer

March 22, 2002 10:39:51 PM    View the profile of Argon Viper 
Sure, suggest one and I'll disagree with you   

-----------------------
Argon Viper
JMac
ComNet Veteran

March 24, 2002 3:28:57 PM    View the profile of JMac 
How bout gun control.  We have enough of it in my opinion, the US laws on it are fine.

-----------------------
[army] Fishman
Argon Viper
ComNet Expert

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-VEEC] Senior Writer

March 24, 2002 11:01:49 PM    View the profile of Argon Viper 
Wow, I agree with you...  One argument I saw stated that the Nat'l Guard was being used to make up for the "Armed and Trained Militia" mentioned in the constitution, and then proceeded to mention that a militia organized, trained, and funded by the gov wouldn't rise up against it even if it had become unrepresentative.  I may be non-violent, but that doesn't mean I trust any politician in the world any farther than I can throw them, and I don't believe in limiting people's options to defending their own freedom.

-----------------------
Argon Viper
Japheth
ComNet Veteran

[VE-DJO] Krath Templar (KT)
[VE-NAVY] Rear Admiral (RAD)
[VE-VEHC] Rear Admiral*

Post Number:  1197
Total Posts:  2517
April 6, 2002 2:12:29 AM    View the profile of Japheth 
Its very early, and I'm new to the whole "debate" thing, and may never post on this thread again, but I was really tired, and bored, and reading through the comnets.... ANYWAY: Article [II.] A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this mean that I, as a US citizen, have the right to have guns? It seems to me that if they're going to go through the trouble to ratify the constitution to include this tidbit, that I shouldn't have to wait 5 days (or whatever the law is now, I don't pay attention) before I am allowed to purchace a firearm. At the moment, I live with the parents, I know they keep a gun in the house, I know where it is, I've fired guns a lot, up on saftey (I've got all the shooting merit badges! thats right, Life Scout Japheth :P). Now, when I have a place of my own, I'm gonna have myself a gun. Dunno what kind yet, thats not the point, the point is that if someone is breaking into my house, stealing my stuff, and threatening my well being, I'm gonna shoot 'em. I'd like to think I know enough about guns and anatomey, to meerly wound this person, but I am of the opinion that it is my right to defend myself in such a manner. (I believe Oklahoma has a "Make my day" law or somesuch that allows you to shoot robbers under some special condition that I can't remember because its 2:15 AM...) Anyway. I saw you guys bringing up gun control, and I thought I'd throw my two cents in. Guns are good. Guns protect people, when used correctly. I think convicts and whatnot have pretty much forfeited (spelling :P) their right to weaponry of any kind, however. You break the law, you loose rights, its pretty simple in my mind. Anyway.... Thats all.... Time for bed...

-----------------------
Captain Japheth Cappadocious, Dark Jedi Knight
Naval Executive Officer

there is a place that still remains
it eats the fear it eats the pain
the sweetest price he'll have to pay
the day the whole world went away
Argon Viper
ComNet Expert

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-VEEC] Senior Writer

April 6, 2002 9:16:24 AM    View the profile of Argon Viper 
I don't know what the waiting period is where you live, but it's 30 days in CA...  And you're right.  Switzerland actually has a law that says that every household must have an automatic weapon(in case of war), and their crime rate is the lowest in the world because a potential thief knows he'll get his bloody(literally) head blown off if he tries to rob a place.  The same is true in other countries with automatic weapons legal in the homes.  Well, that's my rant 

-----------------------
Argon Viper
Bear
ComNet Member

[VE-NAVY] Captain (CAP)
[VE-VEEC] Chief Editor

April 6, 2002 2:40:08 PM    View the profile of Bear 
Japheth: All the merit badges? Impressive.. Seriously, too. If you know how to use a weapon properly, fine. But giving a pistol to any old cotton pickin' half wit? All I worry about is if you miss the thief, and the bullet "accidently" goes through your wifes brain..

-----------------------
CMDR/CAP Aaron 'Bear' Le'pue/Flight School 1/Training Fleet/Plt Saratoga/VEN/VE (=A=) (=SA=) (=FOCE=) (=JCPA=) [NDM] [LSM] [BRC] [BRC]
-----------------------
Bear - [email protected]
Vast Empire Today - [email protected]
Japheth
ComNet Veteran

[VE-DJO] Krath Templar (KT)
[VE-NAVY] Rear Admiral (RAD)
[VE-VEHC] Rear Admiral*

Post Number:  1197
Total Posts:  2517
April 6, 2002 4:41:09 PM    View the profile of Japheth 
Not ALL of them, all the shooting badges, of which there are really 3. I made it sound like there were more, makes me feel special. Rifles, shotguns, archery. I think Switzerland is where its at. I was there over the summer, nice place, beautiful place too. I wouldn't mind a policy like Switzerland's regarding guns. Theirs also has a section about mandatory shooting practice and safety stuff, to help prevent problems like "accidently" shooting their wives. As Argon said though, its largely not a problem because theives aren't stupid enough to try to break into a house where they know an angry Swiss man will shoot him.

-----------------------
Captain Japheth Cappadocious, Dark Jedi Knight
Naval Executive Officer

there is a place that still remains
it eats the fear it eats the pain
the sweetest price he'll have to pay
the day the whole world went away
Raziel
ComNet Member

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major

Post Number:  864
Total Posts:  2873
April 6, 2002 4:48:42 PM    View the profile of Raziel 
Guns dont help protect people at all. as long as the other people ( the thieves and murderers have guns it doesn't help) if neither of you have guns its the same situation. if guns are restricted to use by the police and officials, then they have even more of an advantage over criminals. there is a baseball bat in the house, i'll use that on whoever comes in my house and steals my stuff, cos i know he wont have a gun. so how are you safer than me Japeth? ------------------------------- although after saying that, people like women walking home who are at risk are safer i suppose, people who aren't physically strong enough to defend themselves   ----------------------- SL/1SGTRaziel/4SQD/1COMP/1BAT/1RGT/Tadath/VEA/ {EW1} Squad Leader - Squad4 Wraiths
[This message has been edited by Raziel (edited April 6, 2002 4:50:47 PM)]
Fury
ComNet Overlord

[VE-ARMY] High General
[VE-VEHC] High General*

April 6, 2002 4:49:21 PM    View the profile of Fury 
I don't know if you all live in doughnut-like homes in Scotland Bear, but if a thief had already gotten past my wife, I already hadn't reacted in time.  Also, if a thief had managed to get by my crack-shot of a wife, he probably earned the right to rob us blind.

-----------------------
Company Commander
Bear
ComNet Member

[VE-NAVY] Captain (CAP)
[VE-VEEC] Chief Editor

April 7, 2002 5:43:56 AM    View the profile of Bear 
Imagine it like this.. You are standing at the north edge of your doghnut-like home. A thief enters the south side. He moves up to the East side; you move down to the East side. He shoots at you; You shoot at him. The bullets richochet off of each other, bounce off the wall, kwa-doing off the ceiling, arc round 45 degrees, richochet off the walls right around your doghnut house, and shoot your wife (who is in the West side) in the back. Or maybe not.. Ok, ok, joking apart here.. Jedi has a good point. Let me tell you a story.. This isn't really relevant, but it COULD happen these days.. In about 1940, a soldier in the Home Guard (the part of the Army which was to defend the UK if it was invaded by the Germans) was sitting at his table cleaning his rifle. He didn't know how to use the weapon properly, so lo and behold.. the safety catch wasn't on. It was also, unbelievely, loaded. He started to clean the trigger. He pulled it back, not knowing the rifle was loaded, and it shot his wife, who was washing the dishes. It killed her. That guy was young and badly trained. Which kind of brings us on to Switzerland.. Switzerland is a neutral country, but they have a mobilisation force of.. well, of every human being between ages 16 and 60 in the country. Thats why they all have weapons.. BUT everyone also does compulsory national service, which, surprise surprise, deals a lot with weapon training. That is my point. Give a gun to any old idiot, something bad will probably happen. Get the person to do 6 months of training, pass a number of written and practical tests, and earn themselves a license (as happens in this country, although only for rifles as hand-guns were made illegal after Dunblane), and you're much better off. Alternatively, keep a 10 inch long Arabic dagger in your bedroom, like I do

-----------------------
CMDR/CAP Aaron 'Bear' Le'pue/Flight School 1/Training Fleet/Plt Saratoga/VEN/VE (=A=) (=SA=) (=FOCE=) (=JCPA=) [NDM] [LSM] [BRC] [BRC]
-----------------------
Bear - [email protected]
Vast Empire Today - [email protected]
ComNet > Neutral Messages > Archived Lounge > Argon's turn to bring Philosophy  |  New Posts    
  Pages:  [ 1 2 3 ]   

All times are CST. The time now is 10:49:57 PM
Comnet Jump:

Current Online Members - 0  |  Guests - 91  |  Bots - 2

< Contact Us - The Vast Empire >