Communications Network
Vast Empire  -  New Posts  -  Search  -  Statistics  -  Login 

ComNet > Stormtrooper Corps > Archived Stormtrooper Corps Story Board > Radical Restructuring (Blackjack)

Pages:  [ 1 2 3 ]   
Author
Topic:  Radical Restructuring (Blackjack)
Garryll Gates
ComNet Cadet

Garryll Gates

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant

Post Number:  228
Total Posts:  2159
  RE: Radical Restructuring (Blackjack)
June 7, 2008 6:20:10 AM    View the profile of Garryll Gates 
Tanus plowed through another make-shift barricade of durasteel, rubble and half-melted vehicles. Gates was on one of the turrets, spraying suppressive fire into a wave of entrenched rioters, keeping their heads down.

One of the more foolish jumped up, and had a hole put in his face for his trouble. His hand spasmed on the trigger, firing it. The slug exploded from the gun, and by some stroke of bad luck, smashed into Gates' left shoulder where the armor was only toughened material, not heavy armor.

"SHIT!" Gates screamed, firing one handed. "I'm hit!"

A dribble of blood came from the hole, bubbling and flowing onto his armor.

A MP leaped up to the gun Gates was working and took over. Gates slammed behind cover and took off the shoulder pad. "Sergeant! Status report!" ordered Tanus, throwing a quick glance over at him.

"Fine, sir. Give me a minute and I'll be back up."

He sprayed the injury with bacta - winced in pain at the sting - and put a bandage over, taping it. He replaced his armor.

"Better, sir!"

"Good! ETA is four minutes, boys!" Tanus informed the entire crew.

The guns were now quiet; they were flying over some light emplacements, growing gradually as they got closer and closer to the base.
BlackJack Squad-Sergeant, Heavy Weapons

TRP/SGTGates/Trooper/2SQD/2PLT/1COMP/1BAT/1REG/VEA/VE/Tadath

He, who heard the sound of thy holy trumpet, and took not warning. He hath clearly wandered too far from the word of God. Your hour has come. Let's get it on, Big Boy. It's time to get back on the path.

No, what you have are bullets, and the hope that when your guns are empty I'm no longer be standing, because if I am... you'll all be dead before you've reloaded.

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

"In three"    "What happened to in five?"
"I just ran out of patience."
Tanus Solvona
ComNet Cadet

Tanus Solvona

[VE-ARMY] Gunnery Sergeant

Post Number:  262
Total Posts:  744
  RE: Radical Restructuring (Blackjack)
June 7, 2008 12:01:01 AM    View the profile of Tanus Solvona 
The Strikebreaker landed in a private landing area within the facility. As soon as it landed, Tanus leapt out of his seat and out the door; the others soon followed. Inside, it was utter chaos: Technicians and soldiers were running everywhere, and those that weren’t running were being wheeled of on gurneys into the makeshift medical bay. Tanus felt their pain, and silently wished them luck. But the notion did not stay with him for long. Tanus ran forward, pushing technicians and soldiers out of the way. When they got to the main hub, Tanus saw Alater, Gio and Tank coming from the opposite side. Tanus clasped Alater’s hand.

“Have any trouble? Looks like hell out there.”

Alater hissed in response. “No more than usual. We dealt with a few of the rebels, but nothing too out of the ordinary. We saw some tanks coming in; I have no idea how they got them, but they are heading this way. If we want to make it out alive with everyone, we’re going to have to do the remodeling of the surface.”

Tanus nodded. “I agree. But for now we need to find Halcor. We need to see what intel he has, what he has at his disposal and what kind of defenses he has. Also, we need to move the delegates to a safe location within the facility and keep them under guard at all times. After that, we need to find Urakai and get him the hell out of here. Blackjacks, let’s get started. Alater, LK, you check on Urakai; I want a full status report. Gio and Daesha, I want you to secure a haven for the delegates here; do whatever you have. The rest of you help in whatever way you can; I’m going to talk to the general to see what we can do. Move out.”

The troopers fanned out like a wave to their destinations, leaving Tanus to make his way to the lift and up to the general. When he got off the turbolift, it was more chaotic than it was down on the main floor. His topped advisors surrounded Halcor, coordinating artillery strikes from the facility and maintaining the defense of the facility itself. Numerous soldiers were at the front port, firing what looked like E-WEBs out of the ports. Tanus could only guess at how many rioters were outside, and by the sounds of it, it had to be thousands. Tanus took off his helmet and walked up to the holoprojector; Halcor saw him and looked up.

“Pleasure you could make it back sergeant. Don’t worry about your soldier; he’s stabilized and resting now. We have him in the intensive care unit only to keep him away from the others.”

Tanus nodded. “Thank you general; my men are just going to find him now. I’m having the delegates moved to a deeper part of your facility to keep them safe. The Strikebreaker is parked in a hangar in the upper parts of the bunker, and the entire squad is at your disposal. And I’m here to offer tactical advice.”

The general backed up, as did his advisors. “Proceed sergeant.”

Tanus nodded as he walked around the holoprojector hands clasped around his back; his face was cast in a hazy blue glow.

“From what I saw of your facility, this place was built for the purpose of a last ditch defense, not a full out ground zero. As such, your defenses need some retooling. I’m guessing that you already know that, but as your resident urban combat expert, I may have some insight that the rest of your men don’t. For example, there are a few tanks headed your way, and they are not friendly. I have absolutely no idea how the rioters got them, but the point is that your base won’t be able to stand up that kind of firepower for very long. Chances are that they are going to try to get through the main gate and wipe the facility clean from the inside out. I would highly suggest that you set up quite a few demolitions squads up in the main area, complete with artillery and ordnance.”

Tanus paused, looking closely at the crowd of people outside through the projector; even through that, he could tell they were out for blood.

“I know you have been shelling them with proton mortars and grenades for about an hour now, and that’s fine, but as I’m guessing you already know, that is not enough. That you need is air support. Have your men bring in a few gunships; three or four should do it. Also, set up more turrets on his window here and on both side ports facing towards the main gap leading to the door; even if they manage to make it inside, their numbers will be severely weakened. Finally, get whatever automated defenses you can online. If they manage to get through the initial blockade, I want to be sure that your men and my men can hold them off for a while longer.”

Tanus stopped, looking out the window. “That is all general. Good luck.”

The general stepped forward and put his hand on Tanus’ shoulder. “Thank you sergeant. With that, maybe we can turn this around. All right men, you heard him. Call in air support and set up those automated defenses. Have three demolition squads head to the main hall and set them up with heavy blaster cannons, rocket and grenade launchers. All technicians set up extra artillery towards the crowds.”

As Tanus grabbed his helmet and went back towards the elevator, Halcor stopped him.

“Sergeant, thank you. But I have one favor to ask. I need your men to set up down in the main lobby as well as on the roof where the other artillery pieces are. Hopefully with those men up there we can keep them at bay long enough to set everything up.”

Tanus nodded. “You’ve got it general. We won’t let you down.”

Tanus saluted and turned and went back down the turbolift. When he got back down there, the squad was waiting for him. He put his helmet back on ad walked forward.

“Okay boys, report.”

Alater stepped up first. “We found Urakai, and he’s alive, albeit a tad under the weather and he’s slipping in and out of consciousness. I’d suggest we get him off planet as soon as possible if we want him to see the next sunrise.”

Gio was next. “We managed to move the delegates downstairs without much fuss; we also managed to get a guard detail of thirty troopers down there to keep everyone happy. And don’t worry; where they are, no one is getting near them.”

Finally, Orobos stepped up. “We set up what we could in terms of defenses. We gave the men pointers on how to stay alive, and helped set up a few of the artillery pieces, but nothing more substantial than that. I heard some technicians were getting some more guns just as you came back.”

Tanus nodded. “Good job. Okay, now this is where the fun begins. We’re all going back to the Strikebreaker to grab our heavy weapons. Halcor wants us to help beef up the defenses in any way we can, and we’re dividing up into three groups of three. I’ll decide who’s going where when we get to the Strikebreaker.”

As he finished that sentence, a resounding boom shuddered the base, sending dust and debris falling from the ceiling. Tanus started to run.

They got to the Strikebreaker in no time flat; Tanus called in some technicians with hovercarts to grab both cannons and the grenade launcher.

“Okay, so this is what is going to happen. Alater, Zolos and Garryll are going to the roof with the grenade launcher to add some support for the mortars and grenadiers already up there. The rest of us are heading to the main gate with the demolitions squads to set up what we can in terms of defenses, which means setting traps near the door and getting them good firing positions, and that goes for us as well. There are racketeers already up on the roof Alater, so should you come across the tanks, leave it to them. Gentlemen, this is where we make our stand. The endgame starts now. Move!”

--- --- ---

Tanus and the others made it down with the technicians in record time. Tanus started issuing orders right away.

“Okay, everyone listen up! I’m here on behalf of General Halcor to set up your defenses and make them better, because I can already tell you need the help. My men are here as added support, and should have any questions, go to them or myself. We’ll help by setting up your cannons and traps, then getting into firing positions. From here on out, consider yourselves under my command.”

Tanus turned to the technicians and pointed to the two elevated platforms up above the rest of the crowd. “Set our cannons up there. I want them to have a full view of the combat zone so they can give the rest of us supporting fire. Orobos, Tank, LK and Daesha, two of you get to a cannon each for technical and firing support when the time comes. Gio, you’re with me on the ground to help lead them; you’re the most seasoned trooper here other than me. Gentlemen, get started!”

Tanus ran towards the nearest group of demolitions troopers and grabbed a mine from them. He ran over to the door and placed it near the opening, about four meters in from the entrance. He yelled back to the troopers, “Set them up in a checkerboard pattern, spaced exactly three meters apart, coming up to the first main gate winch. The rest of you, come with me.”

Tanus ran back to cargo area and stood next to a set of large crates. “Okay, get in a crane move these to the center, spacing them 10 meters apart from each other, which will create two firing platforms for your E-Web cannons, as well as give you three narrow passages to keep as cover; I can guarantee that heavily armed soldiers will stopped these rioters like waves crashing up against rocks. Start it up.”

Tanus ran back to the main area and started to work on a barricade. I pulled a fusion cutter out of a toolbox and started fusing metal pieces together until he had a large sheet. He set it up near a doorframe and started fusing it to the nearest exposed area where the rioters could get through. Technicians scrambled over to help him; within minutes, they had finished that peace. Tanus blew out a breathe in exasperation. This is as much as we can do for now. I just hope we’re ready for when it hits. Tanus thought. Now all that waited was the coming storm.

--- --- ---

Tanus was running around with the other members of the squad, setting grenadier and sniper positions are around the main area. They had managed to pull in a single heavy tank to deal with any armor of the rioters had any. As for everything else, it was just a matter of positioning and timing. Several pairs of snipers had been set up in the rafters with various types of blasters and rifles. The grenadiers were setting up the crates in the upper rises of the main area, and Tanus and the others were setting up some cannons when the building shook again. Tanus was getting intermittent reports from Alater on the topside, mostly about movements and casualties. More than a few times, he heard swearing, followed by a large explosion, but Tanus merely ignored it; at this stage, they had become insignificant. As he was setting up the cannons, he got another report from Alater.

“Tanus, its me. Listen, we have a problem. The rioters have started to move in more armor than we thought at first. Our spotters have counted at least ten tanks headed here, and I can already tell that chances are we won’t be able to hold them for long without a lot of men dying here.”

Tanus nodded. “I got it. Thanks Alater, I’ll let the general know.” Tanus keyed in the frequency for the general’s main holotransmission. “General, its me. Listen, we have a problem: the rioters are moving in a lot of armor, and your men as well as mine are running out of heavy ordnance. What’s the ETA on those gunships?”

There was a pause, followed by shouted orders and a rustling of papers; just from that, Tanus could tell that Halcor had just been blindsided.

“Sergeant, those gunships will be coming in in about three minutes. Their older model LAAT/I gunships, but they’ve retrofitted with some newer weapons. They should be the firepower we need to turn the battle ar-.”

The line cut off, and Tanus swore again as this time the door shuddered. All eyes turned to the door, and Tanus started issuing orders.

“All soldiers get to your stations. Give the tank and cannons room to fire. Troopers, support the tank with antipersonnel fire. Rocketeers and grenadiers, aim for crowds and armor. Snipers, don’ waste your ammo. To everyone manning a cannon, go back and forth in sweeps; we have for of them, so make it count. All troopers, fall into line. Gio, get to that platform. Let’s go!”

Troopers started running off in all directions at once. Grenadiers and racketeers ran up to the upper platforms and bridges for positions; snipers dropped down and eyed down their scopes; troopers started up their cannons and fell into combat lines. Tanus jumped up on a platform and fell to one knee and shouldered his rifle, aiming down the sights. The door shuddered again, and then there was a moment of silence. The air seemed to stand still. And then a deafening explosion rocked the very foundations of the bunker as the main door shattered into thousands of fiery melted pieces. Rioters ran through the door in a rush, and Tanus smiled a little as the first mine was tripped. A wall of fire and shrapnel leapt into the air, incinerating the rioters in a great flash. They kept coming, and again another wall of fire jumped into the air. They just seemed to keep coming, but every time they did, more mines went off and great flashes of light filled the room.

Soon the mines were spent, and then the great wave of bodies started to rush them. Without having to say a word, all for cannons opened up, raining death from four directions onto the rioters. They fell in droves, but the others just jumped over them and kept rushing. Grenadiers lobbed much ordnance down, sending bodies flying into the air. And then the first wave hit the troopers. Tanus didn’t hesitate, and pulled the trigger on full auto. Red bolts streamed out of the barrel into the crowd, puncturing body after body. But hey didn’t fall down; they were crushed up against trooper and rioter, creating a solid wall of death. Gio was busy with his group, sending a shower of red down into the rioters, watching them die as they were crushed up against the wall of white clad Stormtroopers. The troopers near the tank were firing as well, and it looked like they were about to push the rioters back. And then through the dust and debris, Tanus saw a large black barrel roll into view. Tanus didn’t have time to react as a solid yellow projectile shot out and hit the fall wall, shattering the duracrete from which it was cast.

The allied tank reciprocated, firing a red projectile, hitting the side of the tank, but not doing significant damage. As the shooting war with the tanks continued, the bodies began to pile up. Rocketeers were now firing on the tank, and the Stormtroopers were stuggling. Tanus looked around, and he was waiting for an opening. As the allied tank fired another shot, it happened. Tanus shouted, “PUSH FORWARD!” The wall of white clad Stormtroopers gave one solid step, and the rioters bounced back. Tanus shouted, “OPEN FIRE!” Then all at once, the front row of troopers dropped to one knee, and leveled their rifles; the row directly behind them did the same. Then there was loud uniform click as the troopers pulled their triggers. For a second, all Tanus saw was red as the first row of rioters faded into oblivion. The second row was cut apart just as easily. And then it was sheer panic: The rioters tried to charge again. Tanus shouted, “ONE MORE TIME!” The Stormtroopers flicked the switch to full auto and let loose a wall of red death. Rioters fell in heaps, and this time, there was no getting around the bodies.

In the next charge, Tanus ignited his taser stave and jumped down from his platform; Gio was gunning from the top the rioters in heaps. Tanus yelled to the Stormtroopers, “Engage them in melee! We need to push them back!” The Stormtroopers charge with vibroblades drawn; Tanus ran towards the nearest rioter he could find and rammed the electrified taser stave into his face, hearing a significant crunch. The others were slashing their way through the crowd. It had dissolved into utter chaos. The rioters had nowhere to run, now that the tank they had was a smoldering husk now blocking the exit, and death was coming at them from all directions. The only option they had was to fight to the death, and Tanus and the rest of Blackjack squad were happy to oblige.

--- --- ---

The fire raging from the tank gave the area an eerie glow as the rioters lay dead in piles around the main entrance. Tanus still had his taser stave in both hands, ready for anything, but he knew it was over. He let it down and turned it off as he walked back to the rest of the group. Blood was everywhere: on the walls, on the floors, and caked on to Tanus’ armor. Gio jumped down from his position and ran up to Tanus.

“So where do we go from here?”

Tanus looked around. He saw death everywhere around him. The stormtrooper casualties had been minimal, but it still hurt Tanus in his core.

“Get the wounded to medical. Take the dead to the morgue and have them identified; make sure they get a good burial. I’ll talk to Halcor and see what’s happening.”

Gio nodded and ran off to a group of soldiers near a cannon to give them orders. Tanus walked back towards the door and near the turbolift. As it went up, Tanus took off his helmet and sank back against the wall: they had done it. They had survived, and now all they had to do was to get home.

Tanus got up to the main floor and took the turbolift to see Halcor. The general was looking at the holodisplay, and a smile lit up his face.

“Sergeant, we did it. The gunships came in and gave the tanks a hard time. The rioters have for the most part retreated, but many of them are dead. Your men are on their way to the main hall as we speak.”

Tanus nodded. “Thank you general. Now, if it isn’t to much to ask, can we have an escort to the shuttle pad. I think its high time my men and I took the delegates back home; they’re getting cranky.”

The general nodded with a smile. “Thank you sergeant. This wouldn’t have been possible without you and your men. I thank you for both my men and myself.”

Tanus saluted. “Just doing my job sir.”

On that note, Tanus turned around and went back down to the main floor, where all of Blackjack was waiting for them, inclusive of the delegates. He smiled at each one of them.

“Boys, rack ‘em and pack ‘em. We’re headed home.”

--- --- ---

The Strikebreaker hung in the air over the APC holding the delegates; they were taking a separate shuttle back to Tadath while Blackjack took one of the Cygnus Spaceworks cargo shuttles home. They split paths about halfway to their respective destinations and moved off into the setting sun. As Tanus looked out the viewport, all he saw was carnage and smoking rubble. But the worst was over now: with the delegates gone, the army could finally bring the people back under control. From what Tanus had heard, the military relations had gone well, and Balmorra was now an ally. Tanus knew that he had to thank his men for that.

As they neared the shuttle, the Strikebreaker landed. The men of Blackjack filed out, and technicians began moving out the gear. A crane began to move the Strikebreaker into the cargo hold, while the men filed on to the shuttle. Once inside, they dropped their gear and most of them went immediately to sleep. Tanus dropped his gear and went to the front to get a comm transmission ready. The pilot set up a long-range scan until he found Doc’s frequency.

“Well Tanus, good to see you. I hope you have some good news for me.”

Tanus nodded. “I do Doc, The mission was a success, and Balmorra is now our ally. On a side note, Urakai was wounded and will need to be removed from service to recuperate.”

“Doc nodded. “I see. Well, I’m glad to hear everyone is all and alive at any rate. Congratulations Tanus. I’m glad to hear you first mission went well. And now, it brings me great pleasure to say mission accomplished."

Tanus sat back in his chair and closed his eyes as the transmission closed down. He then sat back in his chair and fell off into a deep, long slumber.

OOC:
Well boys, we're finished with our first mission. We hit some snags along the way, but its done, and I have to say a total success. Expect to see something else soon.
SL/GSGT Tanus Solvona/2SQD/2PLT/1CMP/1REG/1BAT/Tadath/VEA [EW1][ES1][LM][BC][CoR][LoS]

+ Advance Recon Commandos {ARC} +

BlackJackSquad

You gotta move fast to beat the Devil, your arms are too short to box with God. - Drunk Daddy, Cherry Poppin' Daddies
ComNet > Stormtrooper Corps > Archived Stormtrooper Corps Story Board > Radical Restructuring (Blackjack)  |  New Posts    
  Pages:  [ 1 2 3 ]   

All times are CST. The time now is 2:43:14 AM
Comnet Jump:

Current Online Members - 0  |  Guests - 513  |  Bots - 0

< Contact Us - The Vast Empire >