Communications Network
Vast Empire  -  New Posts  -  Search  -  Statistics  -  Login 

ComNet > Stormtrooper Corps > Archived Stormtrooper Corps Story Board > Captor's Gambit (Aurek Squad)

Pages:  [ 1 2 3 ]   
Author
Topic:  Captor's Gambit (Aurek Squad)
Verkur
ComNet Novice

Verkur

[VE-ARMY] Private First Class

Post Number:  35
Total Posts:  272
  RE: Captor's Gambit (Aurek Squad)
March 17, 2008 10:03:03 PM    View the profile of Verkur 
On and on they ran. Disoriented and tired, blind in the dark twisting tunnels of Strak. After what seemed hours they stopped. That sat down, breathing heavy, leaningagainst the walls and eachother. Verkur still held onto the cleogi's box. It was another several minutes before those who had been stunned by the red crystal explosion fully recovered. Marak looked over at Verkur and shook his head.

"Your still holding onto that stupid box?" Marka questioned.

Verkur looked at the container that he still held onto for dear life itself. He was shocked that he hadnt dropped it during the explosion. He looked at Marka.

"I guess so. I had completely forgotten about it."

The comment drew a few chuckles from the squad. Those few laughs went a long way. It helped them all relax, even just for a few seconds. After several more minutes of sitting in silence, everyone began to get themselves together. The sound of new clips being loaded in sang through the tunnels. In the process those who had more red crystals began to drop them on the ground, littering the floor with them.

Then it began. Once again they heard the hollowing. Though this time it was different, ordered and calm, like chanting or singing. The group took one last sigh, and began to move out, slowly, and measured, cautious. Verkur stopped for a few seconds and attached the box to his back. Then he ran to catch up with the group.

After what seemed like an eternity, the group came to another tunnel megre. A tunnel went left, and another went right. Alan moved up to he right, and Aeos to the left.

"This must be a new tunnel. More wet black ooze." Aeos stated.

"This tunnels old. Black stuffs dry." Alan said.

"So then. Do we go back into te depths of this hell hole? Or, do we head out to the surface?" Lucky asked.
Imperial Network Star Wars Image
Jester Squad
//StormPlatoon//

TRP/PFC Verkur/3SQD/2PLT/1COM/1RGT/1BAT/VEA/Tadath

* DM turns the gas on max, locks all the windows, turns off the ventalation system, leave the room, and locks the door behind him
* Verkur|jester wonders why DM left the room
DM- You'll figure it out when the gas pushes the air out of the room
Verkur|jester- Ah
* Verkur|jester waits patiently
Dante
ComNet Veteran

Dante

[VE-ARMY] Lance Corporal

Post Number:  1225
Total Posts:  1920
March 17, 2008 11:09:07 PM    View the profile of Dante 
They stood at the branch for what felt to Dante like an eternity but which his chronometer informed him was only a few seconds. The noises made by the stormtroopers, echoed down the deserted tunnels until they faded away into whispers with little or no resemblance to the noises they had come from. There was a moment of silence, followed by a echoing shriek like that of a Kowakian monkey-lizard.

"What is that?' one of the troopers whispered.

"They're calling to each other." muttered Dante.

"Whatever it is, we'd better keep moving." Aeos said,

When this order was met with a sullen silence from most of the squad. Aoes repeated the order.

"Why bother?" one of the troopers said, depression audible even through the static and distortion caused by the radiation.

"We're in the middle of some rock, surrounded by hostiles, almost all of us are wounded; what's the point when we won't make it out alive?"

There was a quiet murmur from the stormtroopers, but Dante couldn't tell if it was one of agreement or outrage. Aeos must have also noticed the sudden uncertainty, because when she spoke again, her voice was cold enough to freeze Mustafar.

"Three reasons, trooper. Reason number one"

She grabbed the man and easily shoved him against the wall in the slightly lower than normal gravity. He struggled, but he was too tired and shocked to really resist.

"if we don't take action, we are certainly going to die. By trying, we might be able to survive this hellhole."

She shoved harder, and there was the crunch of plastoid on stone.

"Reason number two, I am giving you a direct order, and by Palpatine, you will follow it. I don't care where we are, there is a chain of command."

Here, she pulled a combat knife from her belt with her spare hand and idly twirled it. Dante could see the man's T-visor reflected in the durasteel and imagined the expression of fear on the face behind the helmet.

"Reason number three...if you do not, I will be your personal reaper."

She let him go and turned away, her anger clearly audible.

"Now if there are no other such questions, we have to decide which tunnel to go through."

As one the squad moved towards the tunnel going up, their feet echoing off the smooth floors as they began to run.

"Right. I'll be calling for pickup as soon as we break the surface."

Hope, and the possibility of escape caused the squad to move much faster. Within minutes, the gravity was noticeably lower, and the stone had lost the polished look that came from the recently-carved tunnels. There was a shout and Verkur began to run.

"I can see the light! By the Force, we're free!"

The others chased after the Private, and there were exclamations of joy as the first rays of light poked their way into the dark and almost unlit tunnels.

It was then that Dante noticed the light vanishing and he yelled out.

"Stop! The tunnel mouth is collapsing!"

Several meters away from Verkur, dozens of boulders dropped, and clouds of dust filled the air.

There was a hollow booming from the tunnel they had come from and Dante could have sworn that he heard demonic laughter.

"Sithspawn..."
TRP/LCPL Dante/1SQD/2 PLT/1 COM/1 RGT/1BAT/Tadath/VEA
*HeavyWeapons *
"Nel mezzo del cammin di nostra vita..."

"I'm a little n00bie short and stout, here is my nickname here is my SHOUT!!! When I get all flamed up hear me SHOUT!! Ban me forever, kick me out" Theme Song courtesy of KadBot
Riqimo
ComNet Marshal
Imperial Baronet

Riqimo

[VE-ARMY] 2nd Lieutenant
[VE-DJO] Acolyte
[VE-VEEC] Scripter

Post Number:  1322
Total Posts:  2382
March 18, 2008 6:38:06 AM    View the profile of Riqimo 
OOC:
For those that are eccentric about some sort of reasonable explanation for everything

Onboard the ISD Dominion

Senior Scientist Jinus was not exactly known for punctuality, but he was certainly the best in his field of classifying creatures, and hence the Vast Empire's continual employment of him in their scientific development budget.  And his lack of punctuality showed when he arrived about two hours after he was expected to in a small room aboard the ISD Dominion filled with screens and holoprojectors and two techs squeezed in the mist of all the technology.  It probably used to be a janitorial closet converted to a small analysis room for this mission; if not... then it was certainly a poorly designed intel analysis room.

"Ah, good to see you Jinus, we already bookmarked the feeds of higher interest," one of the techs raised his cup of caf in greeting.

"Well, go ahead and show them," the Zabrak scientist gave a brief wave of his hand before settling into one of the small chairs and adjusting a screen.

"Alright, first contact..." The screen flicked to show the cam integrated into one of the helmets of a trooper.

As the loading ramp lowered, two Cleoggi were seen retreating, another preparing to charge.  The vibroblade wielding trooper, labeled as Trooper-3698, apparently thought that his excellent handiwork with the blade fell the creature, which was actually finished off by several blaster bolts to the head by whomever helmet they were viewing from.

"Incredibly resilent to that damage," Jinus mused, "To be expected anyways, they live without air, and survive decent doses of radiation... Sentience is indeterminable from this, what else we got?"

The head tech's fingers clicked across the keyboard and the screen brought up four HUD displays, one in each corner, "Ambush, at least the squad declared it as one from the comm chatter."

Quite a few Cleoggi rose out of dusty holes they had cleverly covered over themselves earlier, rearing up to attack the troopers.  One of the beasts made some sort of gestures towards the squad before moving back, the others advancing, using improvised weapons of rocks.

"Interesting... that one appears to be a pack leader, and.. garbed in a robe? Oh wait, illusion of the light, just his hair," Jinus was making notes on a datapad while he watched the scene.

The apparent 'leader' of the group was felled by the bottom right trooper of the screen with a couple carefully aimed shots which seemed to raise the ire of the other creatures.  After significany losses, many began retreating.

"Semi-sentient judging by tool usage.. they seem to have a pack mentality, much like the hounds of Cepany, so the 'leader' will not convey true sentience at this point. The ambush may as well been an evolved tactic.. although what they use it against normally is beyond me, perhaps other Cleoggi?"  He scribbled some more notes down, "Anyways, next?"

"In the caves, seem to have evidence of an acidic substance, black, slime-like.  Possibly used for forming the tunnels."  The tech had several short clips of the slime, including one where it was eating though the glove of one trooper.

"Eh, that can be produced through their metabolism, we'll need a live specimen to be certain of that though.  I suppose a sample is out of the question, since they don't have anything that will hold it without dissolving.  Move along."

The tech nodded, "A crystal cave, with.. waterfalls, granted water in a vacuum is pretty much impossible as we know, especially with the temperatures and such, so this isn't normal H20 if even that.  Most likely some sort of mercurial substance."

"Interesting, contact them over their comms to see if a sample of that liquid is possible at all, as for the crystals, best they avoid trying to break those, might be a dangerous gas trapped within that forms the glow."

"Will do sir, next is an ambush within the crystal room, as you can see quite brutal."

The scene from the view of every HUD was squeezed on the screen, each trooper trying to deal with more creatures dropping from a place above.

"Apparently we never see them in more than a group of fifteen," another note was scribbled, "Averaging around seven or eight I imagine, more frequently around four."

"And this.. is perhaps the most interesting scene of them all, almost.. shaman like.. if you care to use the term.."

Seven (as predicted by Jinus) Cleoggi rose from the water, but they were quite different from the others.

"Significant radiation effects.. looks like they were out in the sun too long.." Jinus mused, then suddenly widened his eyes at the shaman the tech mentioned earlier, "This... is interesting..."

He watched the scene unfold, then seeing the crystals being destroyed that affected the cleoggi, Jinus muttered something under his breath before asking, "Show me the radiation levels."

The tech looked at the scientist with a confused look but did as he was told before gasping, "Wow.. radiation is rather high here considering how far below they are."

"It gets higher for those closer to the crystals?" Jinus asked.

"Indeed, what does that mean?"

"These.. deformed Cleoggi are evolved differently from the others, they require radiation to survive... hrm.. or they are more dependent upon it... perhaps radiation serves a role similar to light in photosynthesis for these creatures.. although what they use in place of CO2 escapes me at the moment."

"Uh huh.." the tech blinked, wishing he understood the rambling, probably best he didn't anyways,"So.. anything I should tell them?"

"Not sentient... yet... Everything can fall into non-sentient categories at least for most of the Cleoggi.  No need to bother with the details, doubt they'll understand at their intelligence levels, they are grunts after all.  Oh, and a sample of the liquid if they have a means of storing it. Get the message to them, I gotta check up on the other squad rooms."

"Alright, I'll get them the info right away," the tech took another sip of caf and flicked on his comm, "Aurek squad, this is Dominion, details of what you have sent to us so far via the helmet feeds leads to a non-conclusive result, but appears non-sentient.  If possible, we need to procure a sample of that liquid, you copy that?"

OOC:
Your latest helmet feeds haven't been processed yet, so don't think that I don't care about the other stuff much
Riqimo "Doc" Pershaw

Put a blaster in a citizen's hands, and you have an expendable troop.  Put a purpose in his heart, and you win a soldier.

SL/SGM Riqimo/2SQD/2PLT/1COM/1RGT/1BAT/Tadath/VEA
[CotE][CDS][EW1][ES2][MSM][SC]
[AS-1][SoH]
[VUA-Eclipse][VUA-ARC-Lambda]

Author/SCP Riqimo/Lotaith/VET/VE

SW Image Database
[This message has been edited by Riqimo (edited March 18, 2008 6:38:37 AM)]
AlanRJ
ComNet Member

AlanRJ

[VE-ARMY] Gunnery Sergeant

Post Number:  801
Total Posts:  1795
March 18, 2008 8:33:39 AM    View the profile of AlanRJ 
Alan cursed inwardly as the tunnel mouth before them collapsed blocking off their escape.  Alan had been looking forward in getting out of this godforsaken hole and now they were trapped.

"I guess it could've been worse" muttered Alan to himself as he thought of the possibility of the squad being under the cave-in.  Then he heard it, a guttural, almost demonic laugh emanating from behind them.

"Sithspawn" said one of the troopers.

Lucky moved to Alan's side and softly said to him, "its worse".

Alan glanced back at her and thought to himself damn her hearings impeccable.

"Form up" ordered Aeos.

The squad grouped together, weapons raised and waited to see what it was that was causing the demonic laughter.  Whatever it was it was slowly getting closer.

The first thing that Alan noticed was a glowing light, a blue glowing light and he instantly thought back to the crystals but he knew that there had been none in this passage.  Then he saw them.  Several of the mutated Cleoggi with belts made of pure blue crystals.

"Damn" said Alan, deciding not to mutter his curses this time.

Alan's helmet chattered to life as a voice came through saying "Aurek squad, this is Dominion, details of what you have sent to us so far via the helmet feeds leads to a non-conclusive result, but appears non-sentient.  If possible, we need to procure a sample of that liquid, you copy that?"

Not now thought Alan as he readied his weapon and prepared to fight.
SL/GSG AlanRJ/1SQD/1PLT/1COM/1RGT/1BAT/Tadath/VEA [ES2] [IH] [BC] [SoH] [EW2]

IronHorseSquad

Army of the Vast Empire
Dante
ComNet Veteran

Dante

[VE-ARMY] Lance Corporal

Post Number:  1231
March 18, 2008 12:40:35 AM    View the profile of Dante 
"Chaos take your kriffing liquid samples..." Dante muttered, as he removed a depleted clip from his rifle and let it drop to the floor. One of the enhanced Cleoggi, which Dante had dubbed "Cleoggi Majors", screamed a war-cry and charged. Half a dozen shots impacted against the commandeered and badly stretched light body armour the creature was wearing, which melted and began to drip off due to the heat. The creature's thick hide, however, was almost undamaged, and it attacked with a howl.

With its first swipe, two Imperials went flying. One went still, and his heart rate leaped wildly for a few seconds. None of the dots on Dante's HUD winked out though, which was something Dante was thankful for.

"Who gave the bastards body armour?" a trooper yelled.

Must have scavenged it off their first victims. I just hope it didn't come from another squad...

Pushing the thought from his mind, Dante opened fire and a volley of well aimed bolts began to impact on the closest alien. The creature howled with armour and shook its massive muzzle before leaping a meter through the air in the lowered gravity. Cursing, Dante backpedaled even as he emptied the rest of the clip into the creatures open mouth. The blaster bolts tore massive holes in the creature's less resistant jaw tissue, sending clouds of mucus and amber blood into the air.

As they slowly and gracefully drifted down, the creature dropped to one oversized knee, trying to snarl but failing due to the hole blasted right through its neck. Its jaw hung limply by a few shreds of its tough hide, and the stench from roasted flesh would have been unbearable if Dante could have smelled it. Despite its near decapitation, the Major was still very much capable of attacking. Emitting a low and drawn-out growl, it slashed viciously at the trooper, its long claws rendering the air.

Dante cursed as he felt the long claws draw thin lines in the layers of heavy armour, coming dangerously close to compromising his suit, and pumped the rest of his carbine clip into the Cleoggi. The monster staggered back for a brief moment then leaped forwards again, slurring a challenge as it did so.

This time, Dante decided engaging it in hand to hand combat would be suicidal with a damaged suit and only a few power cells left for his blaster. When it tried to attack again, Dante sidestepped and flattened himself against the cool stone wall. It missed, realized its mistake, and tried to turn. Swiftly, Dante shoved his E-11 carbine into the hole he had made in the alien's throat, pushed the barrel up slightly, and held down the trigger. The bright crimson energy bolts burned through the soft tissue that had been protected by the monster's thick, leathery skin and bounced off the inside of the creature's thick skull. Its hide smoking, the Cleoggi fell to its feet and, still writhing, succumbed to the last few shots in his clip. Dante kicked the corpse before pulling the depleted power cell from his weapon.

Nearby, the last of the Cleoggi Majors fell to the ground with its chest and right leg torn to shreds, tried to get up but was stilled by a humming blade.

Dante allowed himself a grin.

"Come on, let's find a sample and get the hell out of here." he heard Verkur say.

Roger that.

Dante had already started to move when he heard a loud thumping, followed by animalistic shrieks.

"Looks like the Cleoggi have other plans."
*HeavyWeapons *

"I'm a little n00bie short and stout, here is my nickname here is my SHOUT!!! When I get all flamed up hear me SHOUT!! Ban me forever, kick me out" Theme Song courtesy of KadBot
[This message has been edited by Dante (edited March 18, 2008 12:54:23 AM)]
AlanRJ
ComNet Member

AlanRJ

Post Number:  802
March 18, 2008 1:38:19 PM    View the profile of AlanRJ 
Alan was happy when the aptly named Cleoggi Majors had been eliminated.  He didn’t like them very much and he hoped to never see them ever again.

"Come on, let's find a sample and get the hell out of here." said Verkur.

Alan was happy with that announcement.  He wanted to get out of these tunnels as soon as possible as he felt that he had been down in here for several years.  He started to wonder what daylight looked like.  Then a noise echoed through the tunnel disturbing his thoughts.  The noise was a large animalistic shriek which Alan did not like the sound of.

"Looks like the Cleoggi have other plans” stated Dante.

“What the hell is that?” queried Alan, wondering what could possibly be making such horrific noises.

Then he saw the source of the noise and his face fell.  Two Cleoggi Majors were walking towards them.  That alone was bad enough but it wasn’t the source of the horrible shrieking noises.  In front of the Cleoggi Majors were four large beasts.  They walked on four legs and were covered in thick jet black fur.  Standing five feet tall, they looked ominous and a very dangerous threat indeed.

They snarled and shrieked causing Alan to shiver from the very sound alone.  During their shriek, Alan noticed that their mouths were littered with large pointed teeth. They could tear us easily to shreds thought Alan as he looked on wondering how the squad was going to eliminate all of these beasts as well as the Cleoggi Majors.  Alan wondered whether this tunnel was also going to be his tomb.

IronHorseSquad

Army of the Vast Empire
Arnaut
ComNet Member

Arnaut

Post Number:  696
Total Posts:  903
March 18, 2008 2:42:46 PM    View the profile of Arnaut 
Who...who were these people? Arnaut looked around him, still a bit dazed. There were men around him, and maybe a woman or two. He couldn’t tell. They were all wearing white armor. So white... Why were they wearing armor? Arnaut reached up and realized he was wearing armor too. Maybe it was important. He tried to pull the helmet off and found that it was locked in place. Probably important, he decided.

The other people were moving now. There were beasts in front of them. They looked...angry. Someone was shouting something, but it didn’t make any sense to Arnaut. There were shots going off now. They were so loud. And bright. Just like the explosion. Explosion? The thought disappeared as soon as it arose.

Arnaut decided that he was supposed to be helping. Maybe he was part of the people’s group. They might realize that he wasn’t shooting, like them. So he started to fire his...his thing. He thought it might be a gun, but he didn’t know for sure. It was aggravating, not being able to remember. But he couldn’t let the others know that. They might be...be...be mad. That wouldn’t be good.

The beasts were attacking the people now.  They had a lot of teeth, Arnaut noticed. A lot of teeth. He was suddenly very afraid of them. They could...could...could hurt him. He raised his thing—no, gun, he reminded himself—and fired at the nearest one. It shrugged off the shots, starting to turn toward Arnaut. Arnaut stood where he was, in the middle of the hall, firing dumbly at the beast as it started to move toward him.

Around him, the other people were falling back, but Arnaut didn’t notice. His damaged mind was focused on the task at hand: keeping the beast from getting to him. He didn’t grasp the irony, that, by trying to keep the beast away from himself, Arnaut had actually drawn its attention. But it was too late now. The beast, still taking shots from Arnaut’s puny carbine, crouched back, powerful legs wound up, ready to spring. Arnaut fired on, oblivious.

Arnaut fired the last shot of his carbine and stared up at the beast as it came. He was scared, but not overly so, his simple mind not really comprehending what the beast was about to do. The thing lunged, huge legs pushing off the ground and propelling it through the air. A large object impacted Arnaut from the side and shoved him roughly to safety just as the beast came down.

Aeos and Arnaut tumbled through the hall and smashed into one of the walls in a jumbled heap. Aeos stood up just as soon, yelling at Arnaut while firing. The beast was still looking at the ground , confused, at where its prey should’ve been. Fire from the rest of the squad took its focus of Aeos and Arnaut allowing them some room to breathe.

Aeos was looking down at Arnaut now, yelling something. She was talking too fast; Arnaut couldn’t keep track of what she was saying. He said nothing.

“Arnaut?” Aeos said, for the first time some hint of worry entering her voice. “Arnaut? Arnaut!?” She waved her hand in front of Arnaut’s visor.

“H-hey! That’s...that’s...my...name!” Arnaut slurred thickly, sounding oddly pleased. “Who...are...are...you?”

“I’m Gunnery Sergeant Aeos,” she said slowly, “of the Vast Empire Stormtrooper...” Arnaut nodded dumbly, not comprehending. Aeos muttered something too low for Arnaut to hear, and shoved him back to the rest of the squad. She was yelling again, but not at Arnaut. Toward the other people, Arnaut assumed.

Arnaut wondered if she was mad with him. Maybe. He didn’t want her to be mad. He didn’t even know what he’d done. Everyone was still firing, so he figured he should too. Maybe she wouldn’t be mad at him anymore if he did. He raised his thin—gun again and began to fire. He noticed that two other people had moved up beside him, and kept throwing irritated glances at him. He moved a little to his right and they followed.

Arnaut wondered if they might be mad at him too.
Gunnery Sergeant Arnaut
SL/GSG Arnaut/4SQD/1PLT/1COM/1BAT/VEA/VE [ES2] [EW2]
-=Wraith PRIDE=--=SL=-
+ Advance Recon Commandos {ARC} +
~ W i l d c a r d P l a t o o n ~

"Take care of your equipment, and your equipment will take care of you"

"I read another article whining about how much violence is on television...I'd like to shoot the idiots who think this stuff affects me" -Calvin, Calvin and Hobbes
[This message has been edited by Arnaut (edited March 18, 2008 2:43:41 PM)]
[This message has been edited by Arnaut (edited March 18, 2008 2:47:52 PM)]
Aeos
ComNet Expert

Aeos

[VE-DJO] Krath Adept
[VE-VEEC] Journalist

Post Number:  1688
Total Posts:  3141
March 18, 2008 5:25:40 PM    View the profile of Aeos 
Marka was back at the habit of polishing his power-cell depleted carbine. They had a few minutes to spare. The various amounts of beasts and cleoggi dead at their feet.
“Jinx, get some fur, and nail samples, Dante you dislocate that whole beast’s mouth if you have to for the teeth,-“
“But aren’t we taking them-“
“I’m talking about the dogs, they’re not in the mission objective, and I’m not intending them in my objective, I imagine however, the samples will be appreciated, now back to this one…”
Aeos glanced at Arnaut who was currently immersed in conversation with Verkur who was still clinging to the little box. Alan stood next her. He crossed his arms across his torso and sighed.
“This is not good,”
“Not at all,” Lucky muttered.
“Heh, right now? He’s a problem…” Aeos stated, cocking her head to the side, mimicking Alan’s choice of arm maneuvers across her armored chest.
“You lot keep doing what you have to, I’ll flank Arnaut for the time being,” she mumbled at Alan and Lucky who only nodded. Both depleted of their energy for the proper protocol.
“Verkur, het you’re ass over to Dante and help him, we’ve got a minute on our watch till those things appear again. The Private stood up from his squatted position on the ground next to Arnaut, and nodded an affirmative, abandoning Arnaut’s side.  She quickly took it up, striding over to the man.  She sat down next to him on the small boulder.
“Right. You’re name is-“
“Arnaut…I know that-“
“Arnaut Taran, Gunnery Sergeant in the Vast Empire, Squad Leader of Wraith, you’re twenty-seven years old, and were born on Tataooine” she continued thanking the Sith gods that she read through the Aurek’s members’ profile beforehand of the mission.
He glanced at her in a perplexed manner and cocked his head to the side.
“I see that you still have some basic instinct on your rifle, can you set your rifle’s settings?”
Another perplexed cock to the side with his head. She took his gently, where it was resting on the rifle, and moved it to where the stun-settings were located among various other controls.
“And this is your powercell-“
“Aeos….we don’t have time for this!” Alan called out as his hearing picked out the familiar cries of the cleoggi voluming up again.
“And you pull the trigger here…-yes Alan, just a few seconds- now, stick to my back…okay?”
He nodded slowly, his thoughts still processing Aeos assumed.
Jester Squad

PA_SL/GSGT Aeos/3SQD/2PLT/1COM/1RGT/1BAT/VEA/Tadath[LoR][ES2C][CoR]
DI/GSGT Aeos/STC Academy/Hellgate/Tadath/VEA/VE
CPO_Aeos/(=*A*=)][MC1](=*SA*=)
TRN/AD_Aeos/Training 1-1/Lopen/VEDJ/VE[/font]
AlanRJ
ComNet Member

AlanRJ

Post Number:  804
March 18, 2008 9:32:52 PM    View the profile of AlanRJ 
Alan watched as Aeos talked to Arnaut, trying to remind him of who he was and giving him a run down of his weapon.  He watched and looked back down the passageway.  The fight with the Cleoggi and their beasts had been fierce and now Alan wanted to move, to get back to the surface.  Damn it, let’s move already he thought as he started to get impatient.

“Aeos, we don’t have time for this!” Alan called out to her as his hearing picked out the familiar cries of the Cleoggi gaining in volume.

“Now, stick to my back, okay” said Aeos to Arnaut.  Arnaut looked at her and merely nodded.

“Aeos, we have to go, now” said Alan.  He knew that staying in one place for too long was never a wise move.

“Alan’s right” commented Lucky, “we should get going”.

Aeos nodded and said “alright follow me and stay sharp”.

Alan didn’t need to be told that as his blaster had never been sheathed back in its holster since they had entered this cave.  Now all he wanted was to find the exit and get back to the surface.  More importantly, he hoped that this was the end of the Cleoggi Majors but he didn’t hold out that much hope.  He was sure that at some point their paths would cross again, he hoped that it wouldn’t be soon though.

The squad moved back down the passageway searching for a way out.  Alan was sure that by now they were lost and finding a way out was going to be a matter of luck.  They came to an intersection and Aeos decided to make a left.  Their wanderings soon led them into a large chamber.

The chamber was bathed in a deep red glow as all along the walls were red crystals.  Alan remembered back to when one had been dropped and the destructive force it had made.  He knew to stay well clear of them. 

Suddenly, as if from nowhere, several Cleoggi Majors appeared.  Damn where do they keep coming from thought Alan as he raised his blaster and prepared to fight, suddenly realising that a stray shot to one of the glowing red crystals could result in the entire chamber being blown to smithereens.  Guess we’ll just have to be accurate thought Alan as he aimed and fired.

IronHorseSquad

Army of the Vast Empire
Dante
ComNet Veteran

Dante

[VE-ARMY] Lance Corporal

Post Number:  1239
March 18, 2008 11:35:38 PM    View the profile of Dante 
"Minions of Xendor..."

The room was lit from within by dozens of the energy-filled crystals. As Dante watched, frozen by a combination of fear and fascination, the lights in the room faded then returned as the crystals briefly dimmed before resuming their former glow. There was a steady beeping from his HUD, informing him of abnormally high radiation levels coming from his belt pouches. Opening one and looking at the small, azure fragment within, Dante noticed it was glowing brighter as though in sympathy with its surroundings. Quickly, he dropped it back in its sealed container and re-closed the pouch.

The last thing I need is to die at the hands of some crystal fragment I picked up, especially when I'm in the middle of some miserable over-sized snowball. I'm going to die eventually, but not today. Not here, and not like this.

With that thought in mind, Dante brought his carbine up to shoulder height, watching as the aiming icon turned from its normal white-blue to a dark red. He didn't fire, however, as he only had two clips left and ,in a room filled with explosives that emitted bursts of radioactivity when detonated, firing and missing was the equivalent of sucking on a primed frag grenade. There were a series of snarls from the chamber beyond the one the stormtroopers were in, and Dante lowered his position slightly, bringing his arms forwards and finding a good position from which to resist the Cleoggi charge.

It was a charge that never came. Instead of rushing into combat with single-minded ferocity as their kin had earlier, this pack remained almost completely still. Silence filled the room, with only the pale humming of the suit's power systems to break the silence.

"What the hell is this?" muttered Marka.

"Shouldn't they have charged by now?"

"I dunno...maybe they're afraid of us?"

"From the behavior of their friends upstairs, I'd have to say that's not bloody likely."

"Look at their eyes." Luckystar whispered, moving her blaster from left to right as she spoke.

Following her advice, he saw that the creatures were almost completely ignoring the Raiders. Instead, they were gazing at the rows upon rows of crystals.

The minerals. Either they worship them, or they know that they're  explosive. Either way if they're distracted...

Arnaut clicked off the safety on his rifle and took aim.

"I'm going to blow the bastards away. Watch!"

"No! If you miss once, you could get us all killed!" Aeos shouted, a note of panic in her voice.

"I won't miss."

"Stand down, Gunnery Sergeant."

Arnaut hissed through his teeth, then lowered his weapon. By now the six aliens had overcome their awe, or their fear, and their war-cries echoed off the high walls of the hollow as they charged recklessly through a path in the middle of fields of crystals.

"Everyone get back, now!"

Dante threw himself back in time to see the Gunnery Sergeant lob a grenade into the thickest patch of the crystals. There was a screech of durasteel alloy on layers of mineral for a second. The aliens stopped moving for a moment and instead stared stupidly at the smoking sphere, their dull eyes uncomprehending. One second later, the largest one, a massive brute wearing the remains of a set of Imperial armour, one shouted in a high-pitched tone, and they instantly fell back.

The explosive went off, and ,for one fraction of a second, the room was filled with a pale pink tint. The tint darkened to a hellish red as the initial explosion sent superheated gas and crystal fragments as well as molten metal flying in all directions. In milliseconds, the detonations had spread over the entire massive chamber, causing the floor under Dante's feet to shake like a ship caught in a tractor beam.

There was a whistling, and Dante withdrew his head barely in time to avoid a wicked, curved shard of crystal that would have penetrated his neck seal and his windpipe. There were shrieks as the Cleoggi were cut to shreds by the overlapping explosions, then the sound of the inferno faded away, leaving only the popping of the last few crystals to remind the RAIDER of what had happened.

Aeos made a gesture, and Aurek Squad slowly crept forward. The room they had been on the verge of entering only moments before was unrecognizable. The rock had been melted away on each side by up to a meter, and Dante's left shoulder plate sizzled as molten stone dripped down onto it and left a blackened patch behind where it had hit.

Marka gestured and Dante saw that the explosion had exposed the top of a Cleoggi tunnel. More importantly, he could hear the whistling of wind from the hole, meaning that...

it leads to somewhere, preferably another route topside.

"Should we..." Verkur began to ask but fell silent as Cleoogi howls came from directly behind them.

"Enough talk, not enough action." Arnaut snarled, before jumping into the hole.

Dante stared at the officer for a moment before turning to Aeos. Shrugging, she pointed at the hole. Sighing, he followed Arnaut's lead.

Into the belly of the beast it is then...
*HeavyWeapons *

Arnaut
ComNet Member

Arnaut

Post Number:  697
March 19, 2008 12:53:41 AM    View the profile of Arnaut 
Hallways. So many hallways. And it was so dark. Arnaut groped along, trying to find handholds in the dark, flailing his arms wildly until someone kindly, and slowly, explained to him how to turn on his IR filters. Now everything was green. So green. But he could see.

He felt so stupid. The other people had been able to see in the dark. They had seen him, flopping around. He felt so very stupid. Wasn’t he though? Angrily he tried to push down the thought. He wasn’t stupid he just...just...couldn’t remember. Since that one thing. The thing that had made him lose his memories. Eye-os—Arnaut thought that was her name, however odd—had tried to explain it to him but he’d forgotten.

The tunnels became darker and more cramped as they moved on. At first they were three across, then two, then finally single file. Arnaut was placed in the center. He wondered if that was on purpose. He didn’t like being a burden; he was fairly certain that’s what the people saw him as now.

He wished he could remember. He really did. He didn’t realize how much his memories meant to him until he couldn’t remember them. Which was a paradox, since Arnaut couldn’t remember not cherishing his memories when he had had them. Arnaut didn’t realize this, but instead sulked silently behind his oppressing visor.

Everything became oppressing. Oppressing visors. Oppressing people.  Oppressing walls. Oppressing slime sliding down the walls. Slime... Somewhere, in the deep reaches of Arnaut’s mind, in some fragment of memory left, he knew the slime was bad and that it...did something. It was bad, he was sure. Really bad.

“Slime...” he said, pointing at the walls. Everyone looked around, noticing it for the first time. There was a heated exchange of words, none of which Arnaut caught, but after a bit, they began to move on again. They were avoiding the walls a bit more. He had done something correctly. Memories or no, he could still be of use! He felt invigorated for a moment, and seemed to be on the verge of...of...something. Maybe remembering. But then the sensation faded, leaving Arnaut feeling even more depressed.

That’s what the sounds began. They were small, very distant at first. No one else seemed to notice, but Arnaut did. They were...odd, sucking noises, distant, and yet...It sounded as clear as anything Arnaut had heard. Which, considering he couldn’t remember anything, wasn’t a whole lot. They went in and out of focus, sometimes loud, sometimes very, very soft. Arnaut had a feeling that that was because of his mind, not the sounds themselves.

Still, it was at least five full minutes before anyone else in the noticed the noises. Or, at least, Arnaut thought they noticed. The stopped and exchanged words, glancing back down the hall where the noise was coming from. There was another exchange of words and then they picked up the pace. Arnaut followed, still not certain what was happening, only that it probably had something to do with the noise. As they jogged, the noise kept increasing in volume. It hurt Arnaut’s head. He wished it would stop.

As if on cue, the noise ceased. Everyone looked around confused. And then they started screaming and firing. Arnaut couldn’t ell what was happening. He thought about using his th-gun, but he didn’t know what he’d do with it. Shoot stuff. The answer floated up to the top of his consciousness. He shoved it aside. That was obvious. But what...

He noticed that he was being pulled down the hall. They were running again, and Arnaut still wasn’t sure why. Worse yet, the noise had started again, closer and much, much louder. Arnaut pushed the hand off and began to run too.

The noise became even louder, almost unbearable. Arnaut wanted to scream, wanted to roll over and die, wanted to...to...something. The fact that he couldn’t think of anything else aggravated him even more. He ran faster, spurred with anger.  He quickly surpassed the person in front of him, and quickly the rest of the squad.

They were yelling something. It sounded like his name. He didn’t listen. He just wanted to make it stop, make it all stop! He ran, faster, faster, faster, fa—He was falling. The sensation felt...surprisingly good, considering that he was probably about to fall to his death. Free. Uplifting. And, best of all, the rushing of the air cancelled out the suck—

He hit the water at full force, the screams of his squad members still echoing from far above. His world went black.

OOC:
I figure the sucking things are little slug like creatures that move quickly and excrete the corrosive slime, and travel in LARGE packs. But, hey, that's just my idea. Put in whatever you want. Oh, yeah, I fell out of the end of the tunnel, into a cave with a pool of "water" at the bottom. Just in case that wasn't clear.
Gunnery Sergeant Arnaut
-=Wraith PRIDE=--=SL=-

"I read another article whining about how much violence is on television...I'd like to shoot the idiots who think this stuff affects me" -Calvin, Calvin and Hobbes
[This message has been edited by Arnaut (edited March 19, 2008 1:03:10 AM)]
Marka
ComNet Member

Marka

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant

Post Number:  305
Total Posts:  414
March 19, 2008 3:05:48 AM    View the profile of Marka 
Despite the incessant warnings the Aurek squad members had shouted at the amnesic Arnaut, he had still kept running and had consequently fallen a solid seventy metres into the water-like liquid below. Marka was next in line, but had spotted the drop a while back, as had the rest of the squad. Ironically, Arnaut seemed to be the safest member of the squad because of it. While he was now down below in a dark pool of the mysterious liquid, Aurek squad were now pinned between a large gap in the tunnel, and no less than forty hand-sized slug-looking creatures that were rapidly advancing on their position. To make matters worse, it seemed that these creatures used the excretion of the corrosive slime as a defence mechanism, and the squad had already witnessed what the substance could do to their armour.
  Shots were being fired carefully, but the things, whatever they were, were small targets, and quick moving. Accuracy was now based almost solely on sheer luck. Aeos backed up next to Marka, firing off a few rounds.

“We can’t make the jump,” Marka grumbled to her.

“Then we follow Arn,” Aeos replied decisively.

There were thousands of risks involved in following Arnaut into the liquid abyss below them. The fall itself could kill them, Marka mused, noting Arnaut’s lifeless, floating figure. More shots were fired, and deciding death-on-impact was a better way to die than having his flesh singed and rotted away by corrosive slime, Marka stepped out into the nothingness and fell... far and fast. The liquid was approaching swiftly, filling his vision. The sergeant, in hopes of survival, fired a few rounds into the liquid before he hit, hoping to break the surface tension enough.

He hit, and the force of it buckled his body violently. Pain coursed through him in an instant. But he kept his consciousness and his vision remained clear, though somewhat distorted by the water-like pool he had become submerged in. It was thick, and much harder to move his body in, but Marka’s head finally broke the surface, spotting Arnaut’s body washed up on a small rocky shore. He wasn’t moving.
  As Marka waded through the water as best he could, two more bodies crashed into the liquid behind him, barely a metre away. And by the time Marka had reached the shore, the rest of the squad had piled in. From what he could tell, the slug creatures hadn’t followed them; there were no smaller splashes following the last few members of the squad.

“Is Arn alright?” Alan called out.

“At the moment? Or in general?” Marka responded.

“I think we’ve established the latter.”

“At the moment, he’s unconscious.”

Aeos chimed in. “Get him up and away from the water, Marka. Everyone else, search for any way out of this place. And keep your eyes open!”

It was barely a minute later that the Cleoggi appeared, some pouring in through what seemed to be the only exit, and some dropping in through large openings in the ceiling. They, too, had donned the scavenged light armour that the Cleoggi Majors had possessed, but thankfully, these were simply the normal Cleoggi.
  Marka was pleased to see no sign of mutation in these beasts, and promptly unsheathed his vibroblade, ready to get back into the fray. Although the squad were outnumbered, it seemed that all of them, minus Arnaut, were more than happy to face an enemy they could destroy through conventional means.

Realising that Arnaut had no way of defending himself, Marka stood his ground next to the lifeless Gunnery Sergeant, and fell into stance. Blade held high above his head, he waited for his first target. The rest of Aurek were firing away at the approaching enemy, felling them easily in comparison to their radiated brethren. But one broke the line of fire and made his way towards Marka. It charged, a blunt club-like object clutched tightly in its meaty fist. Lazily, it swung at the sergeant’s helmet, seemingly hell-bent on inflicting as much damage as possible as quickly as possible. But, having the advantage of a life of training and experience, Marka ducked low beneath the flailing arm, and came back up quickly, slamming his vibroblade into his target’s hip. There was a disturbing grinding sound as the metal scraped over and cracked bone, and the beast wailed as it fell to its knees. Feeling little pity for the creature, Marka lifted his blade high once more, and brought it down firmly into his enemy’s cheek. The edge sunk in a third of the way through the skull and was lodged there, keeping the now deceased Cleoggi propped up. Placing his boot on its forehead, Marka wrenched his blade out and let the body fall with a dull thud, waiting for another attack.

The rest of the squad fought on with increased vigour, having nearly eradicated all resistance.

Much better.
Sergeant Marka

Jester Squad

+AdvanceReconCommandos{ARC} +

^CombatEngineer^

TRP/SGT Marka/3SQD/2PLT/1COM/1BAT/Tadath/VEA/VE
[LoR][ES2C][EW1C][LM]

"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together"
AlanRJ
ComNet Member

AlanRJ

Post Number:  805
March 19, 2008 8:19:18 AM    View the profile of AlanRJ 
Cleoggi swarmed the squad and everyone was soon in the thick of battle.  At least they aren't the mutated Cleoggi thought Alan as he brought his blaster to bear and fired off several shots.  Each shot impacting a Cleoggi's head neatly.

Soon the black thick liquid that the squad were standing in was littered with dead bodies.  Alan glanced round at his fellow comrades and was happy when he was able to confirm that all of them had survived the battle.

Alan started to look around and wonder whether anyone had managed to find a way out of this area when he heard a distinctive squelching noise.  He whipped his head around but could not find the source of the noise.  Soon everyone heard the noise and was searching frantically, weapons raised.

"Look, up there" said Lucky as she pointed upwards.

Alan's gaze went up to where Lucky was pointing and his mouth opened as he thought to himself you have got to be joking.  The hole that they had jumped through now had something else coming through, the slugs.  They started pouring through the hole, their bodies sticking to the walls and they slithered easily down them.

One of the slugs that had made it to the bottom did not seem interested in getting into the thick black liquid.  Instead it settled at the bottom and its body seemed to expand and contract.  What the devil thought Alan as he looked on, fascinated and curious as to what it was doing.

All of a sudden it propelled itself with intense velocity directly at Alan.  Its jaws open, displaying nasty jagged teeth.  Alan's quick reflexes found himself lying face down in the black liquid as the slug flew over his head.  Can this day get any worse pondered Alan as he struggled to get his head out of the liquid.

IronHorseSquad

Army of the Vast Empire
Marka
ComNet Member

Marka

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant

Post Number:  307
March 19, 2008 9:16:28 AM    View the profile of Marka 
Damn it.

It was the only thought that surfaced in Marka’s mind as the now swollen slug launched itself at Alan. Luckily enough, he’d dodged the creature just in time, though ending up face-first in the pool he was standing in. The slug itself hit the water with a splash, its now thigh-sized body invisible in the liquid.

“Everyone out of the water now,” Lucky called out distraughtly, sloshing her way to the small shore where Arnaut and Marka were.

Aeos was unloading round after round at the hole the slug had leapt from, causing the rock around it to crumble and break off into the pool. It left a hazy, dirty mist in the air, but did little to dissuade the creatures in their attacks. One by one the engorged beasts hurtled themselves through the air.
  In a few moments, the entire Aurek squad had reached the shore, carbines raised at the pool. Not a single slug could be seen, the liquid being too opaque to see any shapes past the surface. But it wasn’t long before slight waves formed, eerily lapping at the shore. Not wasting any time, Verkur began firing into the pool. And, deciding it was their best option so far, the rest of Aurek did the same. Shot after shot ripped across the surface of the water-like substance, the dark walls being illuminated by the constant flurry of red bolts sailing through the room.

One slug broke out, launching itself at Aeos. She barely got out of the way, the slug glancing off her helmet, leaving a slick, gooey substance on her visor. She wiped at it furiously, but fortunately it didn’t seem to be the corrosive material from before.
  Having rolled across the pebbly ground, the creature turned and reared itself for another strike. Just before it moved, Alan ripped into it with his blaster. The creature splattered in a small radius, the rocky earth below it sizzling slightly. But, as if spurred on by the loss of its own kind, the remainder of the slugs chose that moment to launch their assault.
  Left, right and centre they came, some being taken down mid-flight, the others coming to a squelching halt on the other side of the Aurek squad. The troopers turned in unison, brought their carbines up to shoulder height, and commenced firing. The shore was becoming riddled with black, sizzling splotches as the slugs exploded under fire.

By the time they last slug was taken down, each Aurek member had taken down at least three of them. And each member began frantically checking their armour for signs of the corrosive substance, despite the fact that their HUD readings were all normal.
  Marka realised just how much he needed fresh air at that point. Life inside the bubble of his suit was becoming increasingly tiresome. He glared up at the ceiling, imagining in his mind the surface; the dusty ground beneath a blistering sun. His memory took him back to Tadath, back home. It even took him to previous missions; the culture and life of society, the ability to take unprocessed air into his lungs and breathe it back out.

“Marka, can you carry Arn?” Aeos had been talking.

“For a while,” the sergeant responded, his gaze now falling upon Arnaut’s still-unconscious body.

“Good. That passage looks thin,” Aeos continued, motioning to a gap in the wall at the other end of the shore, “but it doesn’t look like its walls are covered in slime. Marka, keep in the middle so you’re not exposed. Lucky, take point and Dante, bring up the rear. It’s about time we got the hell out of here.”

The squad nodded together, falling into a single line and making for the passage, Arnaut now slung across Marka’s shoulders.
Sergeant Marka

Jester Squad

^CombatEngineer^

[LoR][ES2C][EW1C][LM]

"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together"
[This message has been edited by Marka (edited March 19, 2008 9:20:56 AM)]
Dante
ComNet Veteran

Dante

[VE-ARMY] Lance Corporal

Post Number:  1242
March 19, 2008 9:42:16 AM    View the profile of Dante 
"Lucky, take point and Dante, bring up the rear. It’s about time we got the hell out of here."

I'll second that.

There was a beep as Dante let another power cell drop into the ooze at his feet. The mud swallowed the depleted clip with an unpleasant squelching noise, and sloshed under the boots of the troopers.

Metal scraped on metal as he pressed another power cell into the socket, and the aiming icon reappeared on Dante's HUD with a loud chime. Aiming data scrolled across his HUD as he moved the weapon and it changed to a pale green when it contacted a friendly sentient. A few more quick tests, and Dante was satisfied. Clicking off the safety, he followed the others, watching his motion sensor to make sure nothing tried to follow them. The last thing the squad needed was to be tackled from behind by half a dozen of the little slug-like bastards they had run from earlier.

They had run. Dante didn't like it, but he was a realist. There are porbably thousands of the things other than the few that followed us down, we were fighing on their terrain,  and the longer we waited the more likely it was that the Cleoggi would find us. For all we know, they somehow ordered their hideous little pets to attack us.

So they had run from a superior force, run to save their skins and the mission objective. It stuck in Dante's craw, but he knew they had no other choice.

Imperial Combat Handbook General Order 2-B3: When sacrificing one's life would be of no strategic value, do not do so. When a retreat would benefit the Empire more than a last stand, do not engage.

With that advice in mind, Dante scanned the area for any signs of movement.

Nothing. Wait what's that?

"Contact!" Aeos yelled and the whine of multiple blaster rifles filled the chamber, echoing through the deserted passages. There was a howl as a Cleoggi fell to the ground, trying to hold its insides inside its burned and blackened chest cavity. It succeeded, only to have its head blown away by another volley. Another Cleoggi rounded the corner, its jaw hanging slightly open, and emitted a primal snarl upon seeing the smoking corpse and the bloodstains on the floor. Screaming a warcry, the creature quickly withdrew a long durasteel pole from a back mounted pouch. In the surprisingly malleable claws of the Major, the pole spun as though it was made from light alloy, and the air whistled as it was split. Lunging, the creature brought the pole down with enough force to deform the reinforced metal.

Blaster fire pummeled the alien from all sides, melting away the badly fitted set of armour it wore and leaving massive burns in the creature's flesh, but it fought on. Dante was firing with the others, having retrieved several of Arnaut's power cells from where they had dropped when the amnesiac officer had jumped. A lucky shot burned through the stolen belt pouch the beast was wearing, melting plastoid and hitting one of the orange crystals that the alien had placed inside. The subsequent string of explosions tore the alien in two, with shrapnel going straight the monstrosity. As torso and legs fell to the ground with two wet thumps, howls from dozens of other Cleoggi echoed through the tunnel complex. Incredibly, the dying Major still had enough life in it to attempt to return the call and even tried to get up and continue fighting.

"I don't think so." Verkur calmly stated, before placing his carbine between the creature's dislocated jaws and pumping fire into the creature. It writhed under the relentless barrage and finally fell still.

How much firepower does it take to put these bastards down for good?

There was an unpleasant, liquid-like sound and Dante whirled around to see a full dozen of the slugs from earlier oozing towards them.

"Damn it, theses things never learn!"

He burned their slime-covered hides with precision fire, only to watch as another group crawled right over the burning corpses. At the same time, a feral growl from behind him, followed by blaster fire, told him the others had more pressing issues.

"Looks like we can't run this time."

We're literally caught between a rock and a hard place...
*HeavyWeapons *

[This message has been edited by Dante (edited March 19, 2008 10:45:37 AM)]
Jinx
ComNet Initiate

Jinx

[VE-ARMY] Lance Corporal

Post Number:  107
Total Posts:  173
March 19, 2008 11:57:50 AM    View the profile of Jinx 
He was tired, tired of being in this dam suit, tired of fighting everything that moved because if you didn't it would either bash you to death or eat you alive.  But what can you do, survive.  That has to be your main objective in life right now, survive and help your squad survive as well.

Jinx looked around, his squad mates were all standing there, weapons at the ready, just waiting for the next cleoggi advance.  He smiled, not out of sheer enjoyment but smiled for the fact that he was part of a group that would not quit, would not leave a man behind and that alone made Jinx continue to fight.

The time for reflection quickly turned into the time to fight once more as the howling increased to a high ear splitting volume.  The Cleoggi were mad, not insane, or like they had been the entire time but plain and simply mad.  It was almost as they knew they had the advantage, and knew that the intruders could not run any longer now that they had the slugs attacking them from behind.

Half of the squad seemed to be rotating back and forth firing at both the oncoming onslaught of the slugs and the ferocious Cleoggi.  With each member of their race down more of the Cleoggi seemed to pop up out of the tunnel ahead.  Jinx fired at the Cleoggi, placing his shots as he could.  Someone yelled, but it was more of a war cry then a warning.  Jinx could see one of the squad advancing forward slightly, he didn't really care who it was as they were bringing down one Cleoggi after another in an impressive display of sheer fire power.

He could here pops as the slugs behind him burst as they were hit.  Several more shouts, Lucky pointing out incoming slugs, Dante responding with a shout and rifle fire.  Marka paused to change a power cell and Aeos picked off several Cleoggi that had filled in the space where he had been firing at.  Once he was finished with the cell he returned firing.

Suddenly the waves of incoming slugs and Cleoggi stopped.  It was almost like waking from a bad nightmare.  Jinx fired off a another round down the now quiet tunnel.  "Umm, what just happened" Arnaut asked to nobody in particular.

"Well either that's all of them, they're retreating or they have something else they want to introduce to us.  I'm hoping for the first" Aeos responded.  Jinx chuckled to himself, his squad leader was still the same.

"Everyone check your weapons, replace your cells now while we have the time" Lucky said.  They did and began moving out towards the tunnel.  The piles of dead bodies was almost astounding, it was hard to get a real feel of how many Cleoggi were attacking you but now that you could see them, it had been a lot.  The squad was very lucky.

The tunnel itself looked like all of the rest, but it seemed somewhat wider then most of the others they had already been down.  It was still coated with slime but the squad could easily avoid it.  the tunnel was quiet, nothing popped up on their HUD's.  It  was an eerie feeling walking down a quiet tunnel after that battle.

Light, they could see light at the end of the tunnel.  "Please be the sun, no more crystals" Jinx said and laughed slightly.  A few others responded in a soft laugh.  It was nice to still be able to do that.  The light increase and the tunnel floor seemed to rise upwards.  They could now see the mouth of the tunnel, large and bright, the sun's light filling the tunnel.

They had made it outside finally, Dante and Lucky were the first two out, they both proceeded with caution, crouching in a defensive position at the mouth as the rest of the squad emerged from the tunnel.  The overall feeling around the squad was now lighter and several sighs could be heard escaping from tired bodies.
LCPL Jinx/3SQD/2PLT/1COM/1RGT/1BAT/VEA/Tadath [EW2C][LoR]
Whenever I see an old lady slip and fall on a wet sidewalk, my first instinct is to laugh. But then I think, what if I was an ant, and she fell on me. Then it wouldn't seem quite so funny.
- Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts
Arnaut
ComNet Member

Arnaut

Post Number:  698
March 19, 2008 4:44:49 PM    View the profile of Arnaut 
Darkness. The world was darkness. Arnaut drifted lazily through the darkness. He was blind, deaf, and dumb, and so the darkness was fitting. He couldn’t feel anything. Of course, there wasn’t anything to feel. He couldn’t move at all, for the most part. Of course, there wasn’t exactly anywhere to move to. So he drifted, lost in an infinity of darkness. Maybe this is what death feels like, he wondered. In the extreme silence, his thoughts sounded like artillery going off in his head, even at a whisper.

He cringed and continued his floating, not thinking either. After an amount of time had passed—it could’ve been seconds or years, as far as Arnaut could tell—a new sensation began to grow. Suddenly, he could feel. His limbs started to ache. There was a terrible pain in his head.  He tried to scream and found himself still mute. The pain passed into his ears, threatening to split his head wide open. It hurt. It hurt so much. As he thrashed in his silent agony, slowly, the darkness began to collapse. Arnaut kicked out and suddenly he was face up on the ground.

Arnaut bellied his way through the mayhem. Blaster bolts flew everywhere, accounting for the ear-splitting headache Arnaut had. Stones were being hurled to, causing Arnaut’s squadmates to duck every now and then. They were surrounded and outnumbered, and, even worse, were out in the sun for too long a time. They needed to get back underground or to a shuttle soon.  Since the latter wasn’t available, it looked like they were doing the former. Not a happy thought.

Arnaut went largely unnoticed, crawling on the ground as he was. Ever since Marka had dropped him to the ground roughly and the fighting had began, it seemed everyone had forgotten about him. It had been a painful landing. It had woken Arnaut up, though, and for that he was thankful. He would still have to talk to Marka about that though, it was—he stopped. Marka. Sergeant Marka, whom Arnaut had served with briefly during a mission to put down an insurgency on Lotaith. Marka, age twenty-three, a pretty decent swordsman, a soldier in the Vast Imperial Stormtrooper Corps. He slowly looked around, noticing the other people as if for the first time. Gunnery Sergeant Aeos, Lance Corporal Dante, Lance Corporal Jinx...

He could remember. It felt good. Quickly he called up some more distant memories and did a brief synopsis of his life in his head, oblivious to the battle around him. He was still vague about some parts, and most of his early childhood was...was...somewhere. He might’ve lived on Tatooine, but he wasn’t sure. The main point was that he could remember at all.

He pulled himself up into a crouching position, hoping to minimize his target, and therefore threat, to the cleoggi that were attacking. His carbine was still with him, but he was left with only two of the ten or so he’d had before the explosion. The squad must’ve been running low, Arnaut thought, though that didn’t make him any happier. He checked the clip in his rifle and found that it was nearly empty. About a dozen shots, at best. He made them count.

Sitting, crouched on the ground, Arnaut pushed himself into a more comfortable firing position and began to pick off targets. He had the two benefits of not only being surrounded by Imperials who would, more than likely, screen him from most of the cleoggi’s view, but also that the cleoggi weren’t expecting shots to come from so low. Arnaut’s first few shots merely singed the fur of a few cleoggi, but, quickly, he readjusted himself and worked on firing again. It felt like ages since he’d fired a gun.

He shot again, this time turning a cleoggi’s eye into a mush of exploded meat and tissue. The creature screamed blindly and was cut down by more Imperial fire. Arnaut took aim and fired again. His shot left a nasty hole in the throat of a cleoggi, enough to kill any other creature. The cleoggi merely gave a hoarse, half-roar, and charged. A second well-aimed shot blew out the back of his skull and dropped his body to the ground.

It was like the firing range. Simple, accurate shots, fired calmly, were bringing down a fair amount of the cleoggi. He could easily fell one in two to three shots, even if it did take a bit longer than spraying them with half a clip. Arnaut had the benefit of not being actively attacked that made it easy to choose the better targets: ones with jaws open, just inviting a shot, ones with their heads turned, providing a more deadly angle on the head. He lost count somewhere around fourteen or so.

By that time, the numbers of cleoggi had become to great. They couldn’t stay where they were. Hurriedly, they began to form up closer together, ready to make a dash for it. To where, they still weren’t sure. But they had to keep moving.

Marka turned back to where he’d dropped Arnaut only to find him kneeled on the ground, carefully aiming his carbine.

“Arnaut?” he asked tentatively.

“Shh.” Arnaut said. He let out three shots in rapid succession, dropping two more cleoggi.

“Alright,” Arnaut said, standing up. “Let’s go.”

“You—”

“Yes, I’m back. I can fire a gun at least, and I know basically who I am.”

“Bu—”

“Yeah, some memories are still missing. Let’s get moving.” Arnaut was already huddling into the pack of Imperial soldiers, leaving Marka standing, confused, behind him. Finally he moved into the fold.

They stood, back to back, a tight knot of soldiers, guns pointed outward. The cleoggi stared at them, wondering what to do. Both sides had stopped firing and attacking. They stood, gazing at each other for a long moment.

“There’s a stone outcropping about half a mile from here, everyone see it?” Aeos asked quietly. There were murmurs of ‘yes’. “Make for it as fast as you can. Don’t slow for anything. If you have to, fire a few shots back to dishearten them, but don’t stop ‘till you’ve reached the stones.” Everyone nodded, still staring at the cleoggi surrounding them.

“Alright...go!”

The Imperials took off. Behind them the cleoggi began hooting and howling, in mad fits of rage, before setting after them. Arnaut turned around, firing shots blindly at roughly cleoggi head-height. His carbine ran out of shots halfway through, and he slammed in his last clip, sprinting the last stretch to the stones.

Quietly he hoped they would find more ammo or weapons soon. If his clip didn’t last him the rest of the mission, he didn’t know how he was making it out alive.

OOC:
Not my best post, especially since it was written in fits and starts over the better part of five hours (yes, I kept jumping in and out). We’re at a small stone ‘outcropping’, basically a bunch of jutting stones and boulders providing some semblance of cover—and shade—from the cleoggi and sun. There’s probably a cleoggi tunnel at the stones, which could allow us to get off the surface and away from most of the beasts, at least for a while. Just my two cents.
Gunnery Sergeant Arnaut
-=Wraith PRIDE=--=SL=-

Dante
ComNet Veteran

Dante

[VE-ARMY] Lance Corporal

Post Number:  1244
March 19, 2008 7:06:53 PM    View the profile of Dante 
The silence of the almost atmosphere-free air was broken only by this hissing of heavy breathing over the squad COM channels. Dante noticed Verkur half-turning to fire on the aliens and yelled a warning to the Private First Class.

"Ignore the buggers, and just keep running!" Dante shouted, firing a trio of shots over his shoulder as he did so. The crimson energy bolts flew into the mob, sizzling as they impacted on alien flesh and burned it away.

There was a shriek as a Cleoggi Major sank to the ground with the right side of its face a bloody ruin, and Dante smiled. Take that, you semi-sentient bloodthirsty, grey-skinned bastard... Seconds later, however, the monster staggered to its feet and resumed the pursuit, ignoring the steady stream of yellow liquid now flowing freely from its muzzle. It shrieked, and the chilling noise was echoed by over a hundred throats.

Despite the low gravity and the fact that he was on the surface, Dante found it hard to move. This wasn't his kind of mission, not this "trial by attrition". This was a thousand times as trying as the last real RAIDERS op. At least on that rock, they hadn't been in hard vacuum and fighting an alien race that outnumbered them by over ten to one on their own turf. At least then, they had been in combat with other sentients instead of a cunning foe for whom there was no possible method of negotiation or surrender. Even on the Force-forsaken Yuka and Illum campaigns, they had been able to call in air-strikes and use vehicles. Here, all the High Command would give them were orders, and absurd orders at that. Not for the ;ast time, Dante cursed the idiots in charge with all his heart.

The Aurek's almost flew through the air in the lowered gravity, their boots leaving faint marks and small clouds of dust in their wake. Just behind them, and almost literally nipping at their heals, one hundred and twenty two harsh voices cried out for blood. One hundred and twenty two jaws snapped open and shut, and one hundred and twenty two pairs of claws slashed through the air. Dimly, Dante heard the scrape of plastoid on stone and saw the monolith. Aurek Squad had reached its destination in one piece.

"Quick, into the tunnel!" Aeos yelled, her tone urgent with a faint undertone of panic. Mere meters away, the clawed feet of the Cleoggi

Almost without thinking, Dante obeyed, as did the rest of the squad.

"Move further in!"

As he did so, Dante glimpsed the half-dozen grenades the temporary squad leader held in her hands, and his eyes widened under the helmet.

She isn't planning to...

One by one, Aeos quickly pulled the pins on all of her grenades, letting the circular wires drop casually to the ground. She then threw the explosives at the tunnel mouth before throwing herself back into a turn in the tunnel .There was a feral growl, and the massive head of a Cleoogi blocked out the light. A bead of saliva slowly dripped down from the end of its massive jaw and it began to climb down.

There was a quiet ping and the beast looked down before being ripped apart by the force of the explosion. Stones fell, and the creature's remains were buried under tons of rock. Even in the low gravity, it would take a while for the Cleoogi to move all the debris. That might buy us the time we need to escape them once and for all...or it might get us all killed.

Another Aurek had come to the same conclusion and he spoke, a note of panic clearly audiable.

"We're buried in their hive, again. If we don't get out, we're going to be screwed. Screwed, you hear me?"

"Quiet, trooper." Aeos snapped.

"There are bound to be other ways to the surface. Sooner or later, we're bound to come across one."

If we don't get ambushed or starve in the meantime...

"Let's go."
*HeavyWeapons *

[This message has been edited by Dante (edited March 20, 2008 12:09:58 AM)]
Marka
ComNet Member

Marka

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant

Post Number:  308
March 20, 2008 6:48:49 AM    View the profile of Marka 
The squad scrambled quickly through the passage in the only direction they could go: down. It was a steep decline, screaming out for caution, but not one of the Aurek members took heed of it. Salvation was above them, past an enraged pack of Cleoggi, a hair out of reach, it seemed. The situation was becoming increasingly difficult, having tried time and time again to get out of the tunnels only to be forced back into them. They’d been free, and then had that freedom snatched away by the ferocity of the local life. These creatures were relentless in their hostility, forsaking diplomacy for violence. But then, they’d not been given a chance to begin with. First contact with these beasts turned bloody within the very first moments.

Time wore on, and the passage didn’t stray its course. Down it continued, leading the squad further and further from whatever hope of survival the surface had promised. Every once in a while it would turn one way, or curve another, but it always continued down. It became narrower, and when the first Cleoggi came bounding at them head on, the squad had little choice but to let the trooper on point dispatch the enemy.
  Jinx fired a few rounds into the beast’s skull, causing it to jerk backwards and tumble to its knees, sending broken earth scattering across Jinx’s boots. Not that it could be distinguished from the copious amount of dirt and dried liquid and blood already coating each trooper’s suit. They were filthy, and their originally white armour was now, for the most part, stained a sort of red-black colour.

The attacks continued, the Cleoggi charging into the squad one-by-one, falling in the same order. But Jinx couldn’t hold them off forever; ammo was running short. As his carbine clicked out, Jinx dropped to his knees, allowing the next soldier, Aeos, to fire. It was the only tactic they had.

“Aurek squad,” grumbled a voice over the comm, “this is the ISD Dominion. Your evac will be there in six hours. Same spot as you were dropped. Be ready.”

In a moment, the entire squad was overwhelmed with emotion. First was hope, and then despair. Extraction was on its way, but there was a good chance that it would take longer than six hours to find a way out of the winding, brutal labyrinth. Nevertheless, the troops were spurred on, now hastened by a definite deadline. And it was quite literally that. It was get there on time, or be left to die. A death at the hands of these beasts didn’t seem like a particularly merciful way to die.

After Jinx’s second round of firing, the Cleoggi ceased their assault, the passage now littered with bloody corpses. It was an effort for the troops of Aurek squad to wade through the piles, and did little for their general cleanliness or the amount of room in which they could move.

The passage wound on further, presenting no sign of Cleoggi resistance, until it came to an almost symmetrical fork; a passage left, and a passage right, both winding out of sight. The good part was, they were level. The bad part was, either one had the potential to send them even deeper into the hive of the Cleoggi. It came down to choice, and as Marka thumbed the hilt of his vibroblade, he felt the weight of the decision radiate through the squad.

Here’s to hoping we get it right...

OOC:
Not my best, but I'm sick and finding it hard to concentrate. The six hour deadline doesn't have to be rushed, we have plenty of time until the comp ends, I just wanted to put some form of end in sight. Sort of.
Sergeant Marka

Jester Squad

^CombatEngineer^

[LoR][ES2C][EW1C][LM]

[This message has been edited by Marka (edited March 20, 2008 6:53:24 AM)]
AlanRJ
ComNet Member

AlanRJ

Post Number:  807
March 20, 2008 8:30:43 AM    View the profile of AlanRJ 
Marka glanced at both passages and thought long and hard over which one they should take.  Seemingly having nothing else to go on but luck, the passage on the right was finally chosen.

For once, Alan's spirits seemed to soar as despite the passageway being narrow and twisting it was at least going upwards, although only slightly.  The other good thing was that there were no Cleoggi.  Alan wasn't sure why but he decided that it was good not to be constantly under attack.

Alan's feet hurt and he was starting to wonder if he was ever going to see anything else other than narrow passages when suddenly the passage widened as the squad exited the passage and were presented with a large chamber.

Alan looked round, nervously.  The squad had been in chambers before and most of them had been populated with strange coloured crystals which were deadly depending on the colouring.  The walls snaked up and up but Alan could see no sign of crystals.

Breathing a sigh of relief, the squad took some time to relax.  For once they were not in danger and they knew that an evacuation ship would be with them shortly.  Sitting down on a boulder, Alan glanced around at chamber.  It looked like there were several exits and he began wondering which exit the squad would take when suddenly it happened.

A shriek resounded around the chamber.  A shriek like nothing Alan had ever or could ever imagine.  The shriek was followed by another and then another and Alan was quickly on his feet, weapon raised but in a shaky hand.  Get it together he thought as he glanced around and wondered where the shrieking was coming from.

The ground shook as one by one, giant black spiders dropped from out of nowhere and landed in front of the exit routes.  They towered over the squad with sharp pincers that clattered like metal.  Doesn't this planet have any nice creatures thought Alan as he prepared himself.

IronHorseSquad

Army of the Vast Empire
Arnaut
ComNet Member

Arnaut

Post Number:  699
March 20, 2008 1:53:47 PM    View the profile of Arnaut 
The spiders were annoying. Arnaut would give them that. As soon as you thought you had a shot, they’d jump to another part of the chamber, higher up and, usually, at a worse angle. They were hopping all over the place, and the Imperials had long since stopped firing at them. Only when they got close did a hail of shots break through their exoskeletons and leave them a dark smear along the rock.

Slowly, hesitantly, the Imperials began to walk toward the nearest exit. The spiders seemed to be consumed with jumping more than the soldiers below them. It wasn’t until the troopers were within five feet of the exit that the spiders made their attack.

There was a horrible screech, and suddenly, for a brief moment, the spiders stopped, all eyes staring at the troopers. And then they lunged, twenty or so of them, bounding straight at the group of rad-troopers.

“Vibroblades, out! Troopers with rifles to the back, vibroblade wielders to the front.” The Imperial troopers did as Aeos ordered, quickly reshuffling their group. Arnaut ended up in the second group, behind a wall consisting of Alan, Marka, and Lucky, all who had their vibro-weapons out. Before any more orders could be given, the spiders were upon them.

Arnaut shot the first one of the sky as it pounced. It’s head blew open in a spray of purple-black liquid. It slid to a halt on the ground and was quickly replaced by three more. Marka was fighting now, his sword a blur of metal, hacking off limbs  and slicing open exoskeletons wherever he moved. Lucky and Alan soon joined him, knives flashing out, if a bit less gracefully, just as deadly.

Arnaut fired, only one shot at a time. His power cell was at about fifty shots left, a little over half of the cell. He knew, though, that with the radiation wearing down on the cell, that number was likely to go down quite a bit faster.

The spiders weren’t too hard, all said and done. If they didn’t make it close enough to you, they weren’t really a threat. Up close...that was a different matter. Their pincers were as hard as durasteel, or so it seemed. They nearly chopped Marka’s blade in half, and left Lucky and Alan with quite a few gashes on their armor. Soon, though, the Imperials were the only ones left standing in the room.

“Let’s move. Lucky, Alan, and Marka, stay in front. And conserve your shots; I know everyone’s low.”

They moved out, the three without ammo in front and everyone else tailing them. The halls were less straight now, seeming to wind at random, taking unexpected turns and spinning around aimlessly. There were far fewer signs of cleoggi. Every now and then, they’d hear a howl in the distance, but aside from that...

Thirty minutes after the spiders, the squad met another group of cleoggi. The soldiers readjusted their weapons, ready for the inevitable. It came as a major shock, then, when the cleoggi ran. It was a sight that the Imperials hadn’t seen since landing on the forsaken planet. Maybe it had been the battle with the cleoggi, or maybe it had started with the crystal explosion; regardless, it was obvious that the cleoggi were beginning, at least slightly, to fear them. It was wonderful, and yet...now capturing them would be all the harder, it seemed, with all the cleoggi fleeing from them. And their six hours were running out fast. Arnaut glanced at the timer he’d set in his HUD. 5:17:21 and falling fast, it read.

Arnaut urged them on. At that rate, they weren’t going to make it out of the tunnels in time. The group of cleoggi were their best bet for ever capturing one. They followed the way the cleoggi had ran, all the way up until the city.

The squad didn’t recognize what it was at first. In fact, it was hard just to recognize any details at first, overwhelmed as they were with the immensity of the cave they had entered. Large was an understatement. It must’ve been at least fifty or sixty stories tall and just as wide in every direction, keeping with the same circular style that all the rooms had.

They appeared near the middle of the wall, standing on a roughly hewed ramp in the stone that led into the interior of the “city”. The city proper was a large jumble of interconnected bridges, overlapping and jumbled, sprawling throughout the room. On the sides, rooms had been carved out, supposedly by the slugs, and were, as far as any of the squad could tell, used as living compartments. It made sense, now. The tunnels were just for easy movement under the surface of the planet. This was where the cleoggi actually ended up, at the end of the day. To store food. To...live. If there was no other proof of some sentience, that chamber proved it.

On the bridges themselves, rudimentary tents were fashioned out of bone and hides. They looked to be cleoggi hides, making Arnaut wonder if the cleoggi had inter-tribal wars. It seemed likely, considering how aggressive they seemed.

Blue-white crystals illuminated the entire room and the same waterfalls that they had seen before jutted out of various points in the walls. The bottom of the cave was one giant pool of the liquid, sloshing gently against the sides of the lowest bridges. The whole room felt...comforting. Homely.

There were cleoggi down in the cave, they could see now. Quite a few, actually, including small ones Arnaut supposed were children. Arnaut silently clicked the helmet cam a few times, taking picts of various parts of the room, just in case their helmet feeds didn’t make it back to the ISD.

Someone whistled from the back of the group, summing up what they all basically felt.

“Well, we might as well take a stroll on in. Let’s stick to the outsides and try to snag a straggler,” Aeos said.

“I’ll leave an IR beacon on this doorway, so, if need be, we can find our way back,” Arnaut said, already pulling off the adhesive cover and sticking the small black box next to the opening.

“We all ready?” There were nods. “Let’s go. And try not to cause a commotion, if you could. I don’t think we could take the whole city ourselves.”

OOC:
Alright, let’s just snag one and get out. Preferably right ahead of a large pack of angry cleoggi. And try not to cause too much trouble. There’s a city of cleoggi down there. Basically, the city is here so we can have a bit more room to operate, rather than staying in the claustrophobic tunnels that have become so dear to us in this story. Enjoy!

Oh, and P.S. No more introducing new creatures!
Gunnery Sergeant Arnaut
-=Wraith PRIDE=--=SL=-

Dante
ComNet Veteran

Dante

[VE-ARMY] Lance Corporal

Post Number:  1257
March 21, 2008 10:15:09 AM    View the profile of Dante 
OOC:
DANTE: Sorry, but the post had to be edited (parts deleted) in order to fit with a scientific conclusive post that is planned.  Basically, Cleoggi more of hind minded, like ants or bees if you will.  And I still like to stay away from sentience in most Cleoggi, save for ones that may have mutated.  You still receive full credit for the word count prior to my edit.  Lucky, Marka, sorry but your posts had to be removed.

There was a tremor, and the small Cleoogi turned, its snout twitching and hand dropping to the crude but sharp metal blade at its side. It had found some twisted sheet metal in the remains of the first settlement after the colony's destruction, and secretly carried a piece back to the colony. There he had carefully crafted a curved weapon from the charred metal, spending days making the blade.

Now, as it turned left and right in an attempt to see whatever had made the noise, it felt uneasy.  The Cleoggi never saw Dante, or the edge of the combat knife which slid through its skin and removed its head. The body fell, twitched, and became still in a pile of its own blood.

Dante clicked his com twice, and the other Aureks made their way deeper into the tunnels. He kicked the corpse, noting that it was much smaller than the Majors they had fought earlier.

"Got some tissue and blood samples. Let's move along."

Aeos waved the squad forwards, and they moved through the streets. The silence was broken by Arnaut, who opened a squad-wide COM channel.

"Wait, I'm picking up a weak signal."

"Same here; seems to be a status report of some kind. Wait, its a VE outpost, automated broadcast of some kind. It's a distress call of some kind. Apparently the Cleoggi attacked it and wiped out the colonists to the last man."

"Then grab one of the bastards and get there."

Sighing, Dante inserted his last power cell into his E-11.

As long as you're wishing for the impossible...
*HeavyWeapons *

[This message has been edited by Dante (edited March 21, 2008 10:48:32 AM)]
[This message has been edited by Riqimo (edited March 22, 2008 1:11:10 PM)]
Marka
ComNet Member

Marka

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant

Post Number:  310
March 22, 2008 12:08:06 AM    View the profile of Marka 
OOC:
No worries.
Sergeant Marka

Jester Squad

^CombatEngineer^

[LoR][ES2C][EW1C][LM]

[This message has been edited by Marka (edited March 22, 2008 9:37:24 PM)]
Luckystar
ComNet Veteran

Luckystar

Post Number:  1157
Total Posts:  3440
March 22, 2008 2:07:06 PM    View the profile of Luckystar 
OOC:
I agree with Marka. We have a little over twenty-four hours to finish. how about we finish it as quickly as possible?

Lucky looked at the gray building behind the fence across the street. ,i>That's the armoury...?It looks more like a jail to me. shrugging, she zoomed in a little on the surrounding buildings, she wanted a good look at them so she had a better picture of what surrounded the place.

Once they had finished their business upstairs, they headed back down, the Cleoggi in front of them, and filled the rest of the squad in with what they had learned. It was determined that they would use the cover of shadow to get across safely.

As the squad silently headed out the doors and crossed the street, she stayed behind for just a second, trying to determine what they would do of their captive. In silent agreement, it was decided that he would be brought along with them. It could serve them well.

Marka, Arnaut and herself brought up the rear, forming up in such a way so that they could keep watch on the beast and keep good cover at the same time. When they reached the fence, Lucky stepped forward, took out some fusion cutters and proceeded to cutting a large chunk of fence away. She stepped on the other side, made the Cleoggi follow her next and waited for Arn and Marka to join them.

The others were already waiting for them. Aeos waved for them to join her quickly, and the Cleoggi started to make a move to run for it. She pressed the tip of the knife she was holding to his throat and made a little trickle of blood escape his body as a warning. The poor, ugly beast whimpered and widened its eyes in terror. She motioned for it to keep quiet and kept her arms on it as the two who had been with her prepared to storm the armoury. Lucky took cover on one side of the building, the Cleoggi still in her clutches and peeked her head around the corner in time to see Aeos's fingers do a short countdown.

Three... Everyone took a step closer to the doors.

Two... everyone tensed and readied themselves.

One...Show time! Lucky whipped her head back to face away from the entrance as she heard loud sounds coming from where the rest of Aurek were. She planned to join them once they had entered the armoury.
SL/GSGT Luckystar/1SQD/2PLT/1COM/1RGT/1BAT/ Tadath/VEA [ES1][EW1][ASH][BC] [SC][SoH] [BoH][RoM]

To Embrace the Darkness is to bring About the Light...

^CombatEngineer^

~Phantom~

Clearly Canadian!
[This message has been edited by Luckystar (edited March 22, 2008 2:10:11 PM)]
Verkur
ComNet Novice

Verkur

Post Number:  37
March 22, 2008 8:41:27 PM    View the profile of Verkur 
OOC:
Dante: Aeos says check your post because it has been edited.
Lucky and Marka: I was told to ignore your posts by Aeos, and continue from where Dante left off.

Verk sighed as the running continued. He quickly glanced from the tunnel ahead to the countdown timer to the right on his HUD. 3:41:22 and falling. Another sigh passed from his mouth. Still the running continued as the squad looked for an exit. On and on, left then right then left again. The dark winding tunnels seemed to go on forever. Verkur began to wonder if they would make it in time. He shook his head, quickly dismissing the thought. Of course we are going to get out of here....I hope.

And so the running continued, and then, they stopped. All could hear the sounds, and all dreaded them even more. Verkur checked his rifle. Half empty and only one clip left of the several or so he had brought. Each member of Aurek went throgh the routine motion of checking and preparing themselves for the upcoming battle. Verkur watched from behind Lucky as Marka cocked his head to the side.

"Whats up Marka?" Verkur asked over the comm link.
"The noises. There... different." He said hesitantly.
"How so? They sound the same to me." Aeos commented.
"They are.. but there calmer, a bit more relaxed. Its like they dont know that were here." Marka explained.
"If thats true, then we might be able to use that to our advantage. This might be our last chance to bag on eof these bastards. So lets do it quickly and as quietly as possible, and then get the hell out of here." Alan said over the comm link with great pleasure.

Nods of agreement rippled through the squad like a stone hitting a calm lake. Once the plan was set, the squad moved out, tracking the sounds of the Cleoggi. After several minutes of sneaking, Aurek finally found them. The Cleoggi were huddled together, sitting on the floor. They seemed to be resting.

"This is our chance, while they still dont know where we are. Do it quietly, so everyone use your melle weapons." Aeos commanded quietly over the comm, even though no one would have heard her outisde of her helmet.

The members of Aurek began to make the switch from their rifles to their knives and vibroblades. Verkur gladly switched from his rifle to the twin ryyk blades attached to his back.

"So heres the plan. Marka, Verkur and Alan. You three will attack silently from behind. The rest of us will follow behind and keep the dead ones dead, and any that might follow off your backs...." Aeos began as he gave out orders. "...Be sure to leave one alive, but wounded so we can complete our mission. Once we have the beast, switch back to your rifles. We'll use whatever we can to bind it, and carry it to the surface." Aeos finished up.
"We also need to keeps its mouth shut so it dosent call its friends." Alan added in, checking the blades attached to his gloves.

Verkur and Marka nodded. The three members of Aurek turned and headed up to the Cleoggi quickly and quitely. From their position, they could see that the beast were a bit spread out, giving themselves room to relax. The Cleoggi farthest back had no idea what hit it from the darkness to its back.

Marak launched himself forward, grabing the first one around its mouth, and slipping his blade through back of its neck, killing it instantly. Next up was Alan. Doing the same motion, but instead, punching his right hand into the back of its skull, turning its brain to mush. Marak took another as Verkur moved up to take his first kill. He used a trick he had used many times before. He turned the ryyk blade in his right hand, so that the tip, and curve of the blade face out, and away from him, instead of under his arm. He came up fast and silent, hitting the Cleoggi in the base of its skull, forcing the point into its spine, throught the base of its skull and out the top. He then brought the second blade around, slicing the beast neck, silencing it forever.

Verkur, Alan and Marka quickly and easily made their way through the group of resting creatures without being noticed, until all but one was left. All three stodd behind the creature, looking at the back of its skull, the rest or Aurek coming up being them, making their way over the dead. Verkur lifted his foot to the hieght of the creatures head, then kicked it in the temple, knocking it out cold. The move brought a chuckle from Marka and Alan.

"Nice work you three." Dante said coming to stand next to Verkur.
"It was nice that we could kill them quick and not ave to deal with more coming soon after." Lucky said, happy that the beasts lay dead at her feet.
"So, lest get the thing bagged and get out of here." Jinx said, annoyed that they still had not gotten to the surface.

Aeos nodded. Her and Arbaut began to bind the beast, tying his hands behind its back, and wrapping several cords around its mouth to keep it quiet. Finally they bound its legs.

"Alright. Jinx, Verkur. You two carry this damned thing. Stay between the rest of us." Aeos ordered, a hint of relief in her voice.

Verkur and Jinx lifted the beast off the ground as the rest of Aurek squad moved into position around them.

"Lets move out. We should head to the outpost that we had gotten that distress beacon from. We might be able to find some ammo for the last leg of this mission." Arnaut said.

The group was relieved to finally be getting off this damn planet. So the running began once again through the dark halls. Aeos led squad through the halls, following the course that kept them going in the direction of the outpost. Each time the bound cleoggi moved, Verkur gave it a rap on its temple to quickly put it back to sleep. After a good fifteen minutes of running, and tracking, they finally came to an opening. The squad moved slowly from the tunnels, glad to be out from under the planets crust. To the left the squad could see the sun setting in the distance. However, none of them were looking in that direction. Instead they were all looking straight ahead. Right at the smoking remians of the outpost. One thought was running through all their heads.

Please let there be something left.
Jester Squad
//StormPlatoon//

* DM turns the gas on max, locks all the windows, turns off the ventalation system, leave the room, and locks the door behind him
Verkur|jester- Ah
Aeos
ComNet Expert

Aeos

[VE-DJO] Krath Adept
[VE-VEEC] Journalist

Post Number:  1699
March 23, 2008 11:10:59 AM    View the profile of Aeos 
“You think anything survived?”
Arnaut was voicing their fears, his voice crackling from behind the hiss of the radio-link.
“Marka, how many hours till extraction?”
Marka stole a quick glance at the chrono on his HUD.
“Less than an hour,” he relied at her. His visor flicked a glance at the captured cleoggi. It was stirring, a feral growl escaped from its toothy snarl. A quick jab with a rock to his head however originating from Jinx seemed to do the trick however.
“If the building was intact….we could’ve loaded up, but digging through that rubble…we don’t have the time,” Arnaut muttered, as if reading her thoughts.  He stood next her, ignoring the setting sun behind them.
“I’d suggest we run like hell,” Aeos muttered, dropping to her knees, keeping her glance intact at the smoking building rolling through in visionary heat waves. From afar, from where they got through at the last exit point in the ground, the familiar feral shrieks were already starting to tear through the air.
“Guess they found the bodies,-“
“Smell must’ve attracted them,-“
“Nuff talking, Marka, you’ve got the GPS load out on your HUD already, point and run,” Aeos ordered sharply, scrambling back onto her feet.  Marka wasted no time into reshuffling his map load out, and unscrambling the location code sent by the extraction team earlier.
The squad broke out into a full sprint into the general direction in which the extraction team would touch-down, save the exception of the cloggier-carriers.
“Marka, Alan, take over from Verkur and Jinx, Aeos, you, me and Lucky will take-over from them, Verkur, Jinx you take over from us again, we shift every six minutes, “
The respected troopers quickly jumped to the sharp orders barked by Arnaut who was more or less back to his old Imperial self, though the lack of childhood memory still hounded him, Aeos mused.
Marka was shouting from behind his visor to Aeos and Arnaut about the directions, while occasionally stumbling in their wake with the weight of the cleoggi.  Aeos stole a fleeting glance back from where they came from.
“Shit,”
Another pack of the beasts was eating the dust of their boots, though their roles might soon reverse if Aurek didn’t pick up the pace. 
‘Right, Lucky, reload your carbine, aim anyone in front of the pack, hopefully their fall breaks the speed of those at the back, the rest of you, hand you’re carbines if we run out of cells,”
“Good idea, “Lucky muttered already falling to the back along with Aeos. 
Aeos sighed, checking her power cells.
This will be one long lap,

“Shit! Anyone got another rifle?” Verkur yelled, Alan and Marka were already at their fifth shift of being the cleoggi captive carriers. Verkur has taken over from Lucky who got swiped at from one cleoggi who got managed to evade their fire in the first round. Right now, Arnaut was helping her run through the bad limp in her left leg.
The nearest sprinting cleoggi was at them mere meters away.
Verkur’s finger curled around the trigger a final time, the red hued blast exploded from the rifle end, hurled through the air, yet it did little damage to the beast that grew persistent with each step.
“Hah! I can see it!” Aeos exclaimed, her eyes catching sight of the vehicle up above in the air, it was already throwing a shadow across the ground, touching their worn-out boots.

“Jinx! Take over!” Marka yelled, unsheathing his vibrodagger with his one open hand, the other supporting the weight of the miraculously unconscious cleoggi. Jinx cast his carbine, the last of the carbines aside, and moved over to the rogue trooper’s side.
“Right, gimme your blades people,” Marka ordered, while keeping a wary eye on the ship up above, still descending. He joined Verkur who has also disposed of his carbine and was currently snatching all the blades he could put his hands on.

The two melee experts had one final trick up their sleeve as the hurled the daggers through the air. Both were sure, and precise about their movements, both being at ease with a blade in their fingers rather than rifles.  Two of the feral beasts fell.  Daggers squared through their eyes or temples.

The noise of the descending ship suddenly flared up, mere meters away from them and the ground. It’s was already opening the latches for the small bay in which they were supposed to hop in. Arnaut was the first to grab the edge.  The end was so near! Radio communication buzzed at Aeos, but it fell on deaf ears through a misty haze on the female trooper. Unable to respond. Her nerves shot-dead.

Arnaut scrambled over, and grabbed Lucky firmly on her arm. Next to follow was the cleoggi. And suddenly, the troopers who already boarded found their space swarmed by armored troopers, all dispatched and ready to assist the tired squad still boarding the small bay.

Marka was the last one to get, he still had one blade left, but the air between him and the cleoggi were close. Very close.  The ship was already in the process of lifting.
“Marka! Jump!” Verkur yelled, his armored hand reaching out over the ledge. Two hands grabbed his, and were in the process of pulling him up.  When suddenly Verkur yelped, his body dragging across the ledge as well. Arnaut and Allan jumped for his legs, securing it with their strength and weight.

Meanwhile, Marka was kicking about, fighting the cleoggi’s death grip on his leg. They were up in the air, several hundreds of meters already.  A shot through the air, and weight lightened suddenly. The cleoggi released his grip, dead. The process of dragging the last Aurek member across the closing ledge operated smoothly. Marka shot Aeos a thankful glance through the dark visor, grinning at the female hugging her fully loaded rifle fondly.

The latch closed with a deafening shot to Aeos. Everyone was waiting for the radiation levels to disperse, their eyes ticking along with the meter mechanisms located at the inside blast door.
Aeos has long since lost track of the captured cleoggi through the jumbled crowd of people. It felt weird.

“Radiation levels, -secured, feel free to strip that armor, “

The Aurek members were quick to remove their helmets, kissing the air with closed eyes as the blast door hissed opened slowly. And suddenly a new batch of white coats was swarming their space streaming through the opening, each clutching a pen and datepad.

OOC:
00C: This concludes the mission objective. Feel free to write about some char dev, and etc.
Jester Squad

[This message has been edited by Aeos (edited March 23, 2008 11:12:16 AM)]
[This message has been edited by Aeos (edited March 23, 2008 11:15:22 AM)]
Dante
ComNet Veteran

Dante

[VE-ARMY] Lance Corporal

Post Number:  1261
March 23, 2008 11:26:51 AM    View the profile of Dante 
OOC:
Sorry for the post.
*HeavyWeapons *

[This message has been edited by Dante (edited March 23, 2008 3:42:53 PM)]
Arnaut
ComNet Member

Arnaut

Post Number:  701
March 23, 2008 2:33:40 PM    View the profile of Arnaut 
Arnaut tossed his helmet angrily at the wall. It produced a large crack, probably damaging some important something-or-rather inside behind the visor. Arnaut didn’t care. He shoved through the scientists, the examiners, and the Army officials, all trying to get the squad debriefed. Some of them must’ve seen the look on his face, because they started to part out of the way like water. Moving out of the first compartment, he went back to the smallest, most secluded room he could find and sat. Sat and thought.

His mind was in disarray. Most of the things that he thought he could remember were on the verge of slipping again. The things that he’d been on the cusp of remembering had all but slipped into oblivion. There were holes longer than a krayt dragon, seemingly cropping up randomly throughout his memories.

Every trooper went on their missions with the knowledge they might die. That was a given. Almost all missions had the possibility of death involved. But coming back disabled...that was a larger fear. No one went out expecting to come back missing a leg, or an arm. Or their memories. It was cruel twist of fate, it seemed, that they ended up perfectly fine except for one thing, one thing that could make life just as unbearable as death.

He could remember his father’s death. That had been when he was...was...fourteen, he believed. With as many holes as there were, ages and dates were not going so well on the whole. Let’s see...he remembered smuggling with the New Republic, which was still the Rebellion then. Bad days. He...didn’t remember his capture. It had involved them abandoning him, the smugglers, but other than that...

He sifted to more passable terrain in his memories. He remembered his days in the academy, all his basic, stormtrooper, and, finally, combat engineer training. Seth, Josh...both dead, Arnaut vaguely remembered. They had been good friends. He...couldn’t remember how they’d died, though. From training, he had moved right into Wraith squad. It was a prestigious squad, pretty old, but had seen better days.

The first few missions were hazy. Something about painting. A ship or two, maybe. He remembered Virius and Snipes, the acting leaders of Wraith Squad back then. It had been an odd time with Wraith squad, losing leaders and people and gaining new ones regularly. There was never much order in Wraith squad.

Slick had come. There had been a few missions, then Slick had gone. And then Arnaut had made squad leader. The only Lance Corporal SL in the platoon. In the battalion, even! Awkwardness had faded fast, especially during their first mission, where...Arnaut couldn’t remember anything between that point and present, save for fragments and a large chunk of the ARC missions.

It was frightening. The entire mission he’d just went on was hazy as well. The explosion he remembered, but everything else was out of reach it seemed. Hallways. Slime. Spiders. Fighting. Explosions. Cleoggi everywhere. The whole mission jumbled into a mess of blurry thoughts. He didn’t know how much of a use he’d be in the debriefing.

Slowly, quietly, his thoughts slipped away and he nodded off to sleep. It had almost been a day since his last sleep, and, between the amnesia, firefights, and general adrenaline rush of the mission, he hadn’t realized how tired he was. A knock on the door woke him up suddenly, some time later. He looked at his now functioning chron, found out that it was wildly off, and decided, oh well, what the hell. He opened the door.

“We’re going to debriefing as soon as we land,” Marka said wearily, leaning on the door. He was in his military uniform now, having stored up all his armor. Arnaut realized that, other than the helmet, he still had all of his on.

“How long?” Arnaut asked, rubbing his eyes. “And how did you find me?”

“Your armor is the only set not in the armory yet. All of them have locators built into the chest plate.” Marka smiled weakly as Arnaut scratched at the front of his armor. “You have about seven minutes,” Marka added, already walking away. “We’re already making our descent into the atmosphere.

Arnaut nodded and hurried off to the armory. Between the debriefing, the mission, and the load of work he’d left on his desk when he’d first left for the simulators, many days ago, Arnaut wondered if he’d ever get time to sort out his thoughts.

He hoped so. Living without his memories didn’t seem much like living at all.
Gunnery Sergeant Arnaut
-=Wraith PRIDE=--=SL=-

Aeos
ComNet Expert

Aeos

[VE-DJO] Krath Adept
[VE-VEEC] Journalist

Post Number:  1701
March 23, 2008 6:04:58 PM    View the profile of Aeos 
“Ow….”
“You’re such a baby chief,” Marka muttered when the Jesters were finally alone. Verkur and Marka was currently at this moment assisting their squad leader sitting down on the bunk.  She sustained no major injuries, but seems to have ignored any muscles she pulled or torn and right now it was all crashing back at her.

Verkur only chuckled at the younger female, her position now out of the window. She was a kid in so many ways.  Jinx remained at the door, lingering about, slightly uncertain.
“I’m going to look for an drink, we’re gonna get hogged once this trip is done, “ he muttered before disappearing from the door frame.
Aeos fell back to the pillow underneath her as gently as her sore body limited her to.
“That was a blast,” she muttered, her eyes glistening with child-like wonder.
Marka only shook his head, pushing her down when she tried to sit-up again.
“I’m need to head off, Arn is still MIA on the ship, Verk, make sure she stick to this bunk?”
The private smirked,
“No problem with that Marka, I feel like nodding of myself,” he muttered in reply while patting the nasty bruise on his one arm gently.
Aeos sighed, smiling contently while she kept her eyes on the ceiling.
“Verk…do you think we died?”
The private who was in the process of sitting down after Marka left, looked at her quizled.
“No, Aeos, why you ask?”
“Because I think I’m in heaven,” she muttered softly, her words slurring slightly as the light dose of painkiller finally circulated her bloodstream before it started taking effect. Verkur’s chuckle fell on death ears, the thought of the peaceful darkness  an much welcoming though to process.
Jester Squad

Verkur
ComNet Novice

Verkur

Post Number:  39
March 23, 2008 6:53:01 PM    View the profile of Verkur 
"Verk... you think we died?" Aeos asked from her bunk.
"No, Aeos, why do you ask?" Verkur question, making himself comfortable in his seat.
"Because I think I'm in heaven." She answered.

Verkur chuckled at her last comment before Aeos dozed off, the drugs for her pain kicking in. As Verkur sat alone in his chair, his mind began to wander. He finally had time, quite alone time, to reflect on the events of the past mission. His right hand movved up to his left arm, lighlty rubbing the large bruise that had formed. Such a terrible place they had all come from. We were lucky. Normal soldiers would have never made it out of there alive. Lucky.

Verkur smiled. There had to be more then just luck in there. Luck alone could not have kept them alive for so long. Even their training had a small factor in it. There had to be something more. Verkur began to run each of the troopers he had been with on the past mission. Never in his life had he met or worked with such a determined, and organized group of people. The thought quickly dissipated as his arm twinged with pain, having pressed a little too hard on the bruise.

Verk slid down in his chair trying to get more comfortble so he could get a few winks of needed sleep before the debreifing. His mind began to wander again. He looked around the room. At the walls, the floor, at Aeos. He smiled, and as the welcomed cloud of sleep began to take its comforting hold, one final thought fluttered in Verk's mind. For the second time in his life, he could say that he was truly home. Then all was dark.

Verkur began to dream. Dreams of his days on the move. Jumping around, never having a true home. He dreamt of the things he had done, places he had seen, people he had met. Such a life he had lived. Never taking true orders, always doing what he pleased. He lived a simple yet glorious life. Now he had a new one. New people, new places, new actions. Then there was darkness, then light as he awoke.

Verk sat back up in his chair. Thirty five years old. Has it been so long? He stood and moved over to a small window. He stared out blankly, then moved back to his chair. I must be the oldest in my squad, yet the one with the least experience within this organization. His age never possed a problem before, but that thought now began to creep in. Could his age be his undoing? No. He decided that his age would not be his downfall. He, just like everyone else, would be downed with honor. By a blade, or by a blaster.
Jester Squad
//StormPlatoon//

Verkur|jester- Ah
[This message has been edited by Verkur (edited March 23, 2008 7:07:46 PM)]
[This message has been edited by Verkur (edited March 23, 2008 7:19:13 PM)]
ComNet > Stormtrooper Corps > Archived Stormtrooper Corps Story Board > Captor's Gambit (Aurek Squad)  |  New Posts    
  Pages:  [ 1 2 3 ]   

All times are CST. The time now is 2:42:30 AM
Comnet Jump:

Current Online Members - 0  |  Guests - 289  |  Bots - 1

< Contact Us - The Vast Empire >