Communications Network
Vast Empire  -  New Posts  -  Search  -  Statistics  -  Login 

ComNet > Engineering Corps > Archived Suggestion Box > Rank Issues...

Pages:  [ 1 2 ]   
Author
Topic:  Rank Issues...
ze094
ComNet Novice

ze094

[VE-ARMY] Private First Class

Post Number:  26
Total Posts:  56
  RE: Rank Issues...
July 6, 2005 2:53:04 PM    View the profile of ze094 
wow slick.... dont worry i am sure you will promoted soon. 
Yillis
ComNet Cadet

Yillis

[VE-ARMY] Lance Corporal
[VE-VEEC] Gaming Reporter

Post Number:  249
Total Posts:  1598
July 6, 2005 4:24:27 PM    View the profile of Yillis 
you guys think your the center of attention. I was acutally pointing the finger at your squad leaders.

-----------------------
Lance Corporal Yillis
-=Lancer Squad=- -=ASL=- -=Moonbeam=-
ASL/LCPL Yillis/2SQD/2PLT/1COM/1RGT/1BAT/VEA/VE/Tadath [LoR] [WM]
Jack Nebulax
ComNet Disciple

Jack Nebulax

[VE-NAVY] Senior Chief Petty Officer
[VE-VEEC] Reporter

Post Number:  2080
Total Posts:  3245
July 6, 2005 4:54:01 PM    View the profile of Jack Nebulax 
Ze, Slick won't be promoted just for staying around (I hardly ever see him, so that's strenching it). He has to earn the promotion first.

-----------------------
Revenge is what holds this galaxy together. Without it, the universe would be a boring place.

------------------------------------------------------------
Senior Chief Petty Officer and Reporter Jack Nebulax, Imperial Navy and VE Today Staff, Vast Empire.
XO/FL/SCPO Jack Nebulax/Nazgul 5 (2-1)/Wing 1/mSSD Atrus/Defensive Fleet/VEN/VE (=A=) (=*SA*=) [SV] [VC:S]
Rep|Int/Rep Jack Nebulax/Rep: 4/Reporters-Interviewers/VE/VET
------------------------------------------------------------
Admiral Jack Nebulax, third-in-command of the Auroran Defense Fleet (ADF) and leader of Nemesis Wing (Wing I)
AlanRJ
ComNet n00b

AlanRJ

Post Number:  15
Total Posts:  1795
September 5, 2006 6:55:52 PM    View the profile of AlanRJ 
I wouldn't say I am overly active but I always try and put 2 or 3 300 word posts to the current story arch.  I am hoping to get promoted at some stage, is this level of activity enough for a promotion somewhere down the line or would I be considered as an inactive member and never get promoted?
Atrick25
ComNet Member

Atrick25

[VE-NAVY] Senior Crewman

Post Number:  331
Total Posts:  380
September 5, 2006 7:07:28 PM    View the profile of Atrick25 
Took me three months to get promoted. It doesn't take that long if your active.

I shouldn't be talking, but that's a good way to do it.

-----------------------
NazgulSquadron

FM/SCRW Atrick25/Nazgul-10/Phoenix Wing/[mSSD Atrus]/1VENF]/VEN/VE (=A=)
~Leading Crewman Atrick25~

Nerds stick together! (Until Football Players storm us, because then we run like the girly men we are!)

Why does Darth Vader want cookies?
AlanRJ
ComNet n00b

AlanRJ

Post Number:  18
September 5, 2006 7:26:52 PM    View the profile of AlanRJ 
Well here's hoping in three months time then.
Raigen
ComNet Member

Raigen

[VE-NAVY] Senior Crewman

Post Number:  559
Total Posts:  1363
September 5, 2006 8:19:12 PM    View the profile of Raigen 
I guess I'm the only one sticking up for your slick.

Ive been here for around 8 months...8 MONTHS...ive been promised numerous promotions and just recently made a 100 on the BT exam(I slipped through the bureaucratic crack.) Anyway, people who came a while after me are a higher rank. Ive been here 8 months. Does it seem fair that someone here less than 8 days gets the same rank regardless of performance. I'm not saying that they didn't earn it because by all means, they did, but as new recruits start to flood in, should more experienced members be bumped up. Otherwise their going to think..."Oh, I will have to wait a year before I get to be flight leader and such."
I understand I'm not the most serious person when it comes to IRC and non story posts. But I'm more active than most and I get what needs to be done. I'm also not asking for a promotion. I could care less. Also, its not about basic training. It's how you contribute to the group. If anything, their should be a set standard that applies to everyone equally. No random promotions for different achievements. Base it on a measurable level of activity and time spent with the group. A measurable standard is the fairest way to do it.

-----------------------
FM/SCRW Raigen/Aegis 1/Phoenix Wing/mSSD Atrus/DEF/VEN/VE (=*A*=)(VC:B)
[This message has been edited by Raigen (edited September 5, 2006 8:25:47 PM)]
[This message has been edited by Raigen (edited September 5, 2006 8:47:19 PM)]
Willtconq
ComNet Sage

Willtconq

[VE-NAVY] Ensign
[VE-VEEC] VET Web Designer

Post Number:  3281
Total Posts:  4599
September 5, 2006 10:43:30 PM    View the profile of Willtconq 
Oh yea, you could care less, then go into a long paragraph about it. Also, yes, you do get the things done, but have you ever considered the quality of your work?

Btw, let's not bring up old posts people.

-----------------------
-(William the Conquerer)-
Elite Squadron Commander
King of PPC
"Lives are created to be ended, just as rules are made to be broken." -- Unknown, probably me
ESC/ESN Willtconq/Kaph 1/Wing I/mSSD Atrus/DEF/VEN/VE (=*A*=) (=*SA*=) [VC:S][SV][BWC][LSM]{VB}
Wm/Wm Willtconq/WM:1/Webmasters/VET/VE
Sniping101
ComNet Disciple

Sniping101

[VE-ARMY] Gunnery Sergeant

Post Number:  2782
Total Posts:  3940
September 6, 2006 12:32:27 AM    View the profile of Sniping101 
Somebody kill this topic, please. Promotions are just, four years here have taught me that. Why are you all posting on a topic that's well over a year old. Really?

-----------------------
{Comnet Hermit}
TRP/GSG Sniping101/4SQD/1PLT/1COM/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE [LoR][IH][BoA][CDS]

Sit vis vobiscum.

Raigen
ComNet Member

Raigen

[VE-NAVY] Senior Crewman

Post Number:  564
Total Posts:  1363
September 6, 2006 8:41:37 AM    View the profile of Raigen 
Listen, honestly I don't care if I am a senior crewman for 5 years. The only problem I have with the ranking system is that it is not measurable. Make it into a formula and I am fine. As long as it is fair and promotions are completely achievement based. Example: You need so many story posts and so many months of service to be eligible for promotion. Then have the officers review you.

We have something in AFJROTC, and I think this will work. After every grading period, those who made a B or higher in ROTC and nothing less than a C in other classes can go to promotion board. There they test you on Military Bearing, knowledge of the chain of command, Air Force code of conduct and such. Then those who do well and worked hard get promotion. I think we can apply this to the VE:

Have a certain measurable level activity and service set as a requirement for eligibility.
Have the eligible member present his case in front of a promotion board.
Then have the board discuss the possibility of his promotion amonst themselves.

The key point of this is the measurably and the chance for the individual to present his case.

And I write long posts like this because I am an intellectual and I want to present my case clearly and get my point across.

-----------------------
FM/SCRW Raigen/Aegis 1/Phoenix Wing/mSSD Atrus/DEF/VEN/VE (=*A*=)(VC:B)
Kami
ComNet Member

Kami

[VE-DJO] Dark Jedi Knight

Post Number:  896
Total Posts:  1884
September 6, 2006 8:46:39 AM    View the profile of Kami 
Old post, old topic. I doubt there will be any changes, as there weren't any a year ago.

-----------------------
*DarkDragoons*

PA/GSG_Kami/3SQD/1PLT/1XOM/1RGT/1BAT/VEA/VE/Tadath [LoR][CoR][IG][GCA][BC]
|| DJK Dark Jedi Order || Krath || Vast Empire ||
-=Surrender to your darkest dreams, and you'll live as you've never lived before=-
+ Advance Recon Commandos {ARC} +
Trevor Evenson
ComNet Member

Trevor Evenson

[VE-NAVY] Senior Chief Petty Officer

Post Number:  364
Total Posts:  860
September 6, 2006 9:38:54 AM    View the profile of Trevor Evenson 
Raigen, if you want a promotion, maybe spend less time spamming and more time working with your squadron. Or, if you think you`re doing a good job with your squadron, stop spamming. It tends to help get promotions to come faster.

And Alan, exuming old posts is generaly frowned upon, but since it gave me another reason to tell Raigen to stop spamming, I won`t be mad

-----------------------
XO/MCPO/Trevor Evenson/Nazgul 9(3-1)/Wing 1/mSSD Atrus/DEF/VEN/VE/(=*A*=)[VC:B][SWC]

The VEN`s #1 writer as of ESC `06
Cosmic
ComNet Lord

Cosmic

[VE-ARMY] Major General
[VE-DJO] Krath Prophet(ess)
[VE-VEEC] Chief Editor

Post Number:  4814
Total Posts:  7772
September 6, 2006 12:05:17 AM    View the profile of Cosmic 
A "real-life" system as mentioned above wouldn't work in this club. There are times when recruitment has reached a stagnant state, and we may not receive any new members for a while. If we based everyone on activity, we could (in a scenario) possibly have all Captain's running around with no Private's to command.

And basing something on story post counts alone wouldn't really work either (for a promotion anyway). We have medals that do that, but as far as promotions go, we need to look at quality rather than quantity.

-----------------------
Cleric "Cosmic" Vor'soth
CoT/MG Cosmic/HCA-3/SL/Drill Squad/Tadath/VEA/VE
[OPE][OTH][OPA][EW1][CDS][IH][GS][LM][SoS][CRoM][CoH][PoC][MSM][SCP][SoA][IOC]
-----------------------
Cleric "Cosmic" Vor'soth
SL/KPR Cosmic/Lion 1-1/Lopen/VEDJ/VE
[VP][WoS2][KC1][SoY][EoP][OAK]
-----------------------
Hashi Shiyun
ComNet Member

Hashi Shiyun

Post Number:  635
Total Posts:  779
September 7, 2006 10:45:10 AM    View the profile of Hashi Shiyun 
You mean you people care about ranks?

My satisfaction comes not from holding high positions or high ranks.

It comes from knowing that my beloved Jester Squad needs me as I am a vital member in my unit. I am always willing to contribute to my squad's current story and always irritating my fellow squadmates by urging them to post.

I am also proud of the dedication I put into my writing - I would not want the story posts I write to be half-assed pieces of shit that would be painful for my squadmates to read.

I don't need to hold rank to have some delusion that I hold influence in my unit. High activity is my key to high influence. Knowing that I am an active trooper and deserving of a say in the running of the squad, I  put forward my suggestions to my squad leader (some baldass called Garet) confident that they would be received seriously while at the same time respecting his leadership as well as my ASL's.

In the Vast Empire, I place Jester over self, and I would rather my squad do well in Chapter Nine or win ESC than to see myself getting promoted or winning medals.

To echo Cosmic, the membership of both Army and Navy has been severely depleted, especially after recent AWOL slashes. In such times, members have to understand that promotions might come slower as there are so few of us around now. There are less command positions for troopers to move up to. The fact that we are now a much closer knit community due to our depleted ranks makes ranks and such regalia all the less important.

And a personal message to AlanRJ : You are one hell of a writer. I have read your story posts and I am sincerely impressed by your abilities. With more time in the VE, I'm sure that your writing skills can be honed to a sharp edge. Do consider though, that a post of 300 words would be considered an extremely short post in my book. Perhaps writing more longer and expansive posts would help push you into the limelight further? That's off topic but this is just a tip from your local Gunny.

Thank you and have a nice day.

-----------------------
TRP/GSG Hashi Shiyun/1SQD/2PLT/1COM/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE [IH] [CoR] [SoA] [LoR]
AlanRJ
ComNet n00b

AlanRJ

Post Number:  23
September 7, 2006 12:13:53 AM    View the profile of AlanRJ 
Thank you for your comments Hashi Shiyun.  I used to write short stories for a fan club but that was many years ago.  I have always wanted to join a site like this and I wish I had come across this place years ago.

I'm looking forward to expanding upon my writing.
ComNet > Engineering Corps > Archived Suggestion Box > Rank Issues...  |  New Posts    
  Pages:  [ 1 2 ]   

All times are CST. The time now is 9:01:26 AM
Comnet Jump:

Current Online Members - 0  |  Guests - 186  |  Bots - 0

< Contact Us - The Vast Empire >