Communications Network
Vast Empire  -  New Posts  -  Search  -  Statistics  -  Login 

ComNet > The Osk Company > Archived Tall Tales > Dead Men Tell No Lies (The Osk Company)

Pages:  [ 1 2 ]   
Author
Topic:  Dead Men Tell No Lies (The Osk Company)
Kami
ComNet Sultan

Kami

[VE-ARMY] 2nd Lieutenant
[VE-DJO] Dark Jedi Knight
[VE-ICS] Pirate Lord

Post Number:  1539
Total Posts:  1884
  RE: Dead Men Tell No Lies (The Osk Company)
September 10, 2010 5:02:19 AM    View the profile of Kami 
This is completely and utterly insane.

As soon as the thought flashed into her mind Kami banished it with a violent shake of her head.  Despite her persistence in trying to keep thoughts of her impending death at bay she had so far been unsuccessful. She was no psychologist, but had come to the conclusion that her failure at self-control had something to do with the fact that she was currently in the hangar of an enemy Star Destroyer, surrounded by a couple of thousand highly irritated soldiers, with only a fifty or so drunken pirates between her unprotected form and the storm of laser bolts sweeping in her direction.

“Break you fools!” Kami screamed at the milling pirates, the majority of whom seemed to be torn between gleefully pursuing the dark-clad security personnel in the hangar and running for their lives into the relative cover provided by the maze of hallways throughout the immense starship. Thankfully, the less blood thirsty of the rabble heeded her call, falling behind the stolid wall of the Grave Robbers who had begun a steady retreat at the rear of the hangar.

“No... no, no, no,” Kami was still shaking her head as a blaster bolt whizzed past her face, causing her to pause momentarily and return fire. A million possible scenarios of approach were whizzing through her head and immediately being discarded as the impossible odds of the situation finally settled in.

“Glad to see you’re being so positive!” Deznim yelped at her side as the duo turned and began sprinting along with their fellow degenerates towards cover, giving up their attempt at an organized and quasi-military approach, “It’s awfully reassuring when you start condemning yourself aloud!”

Have faith!” Kami cast wild eyes about the laser riddled hangar as she slowed to shoot another unfortunate defender directly between his eyes, “I know what I’m doing.”

“Oh, of course you do,” Deznim sniped back as they swept past the rear ranks of the Robbers, and into the brightly illuminated tube-like halls of the middle levels of the ISD. “I have no doubt. I was simply wondering whether or not this plan of yours included any objectives pertaining to…well…surviving.”

“Wait.” Kami came to a halt, her gaze fixated back in the direction they had come, “I actually do have a plan.”

Deznim’s furry eyebrows shot upwards in question, but before he could ask Kami was shouting orders, “Wait! Turn around! The gravsleds! We need the gravsleds!”

“Is this to be just another joyride then Sharpe?”

Kami jumped at the interjection of the familiar tone at her shoulder. Spinning about she came face to face with the expressionless ballistic mask of Corlie, self-proclaimed leader of the bizarre military posse known to the other Oskers as the Queens of Madness. Eleven uniformly clad women waited patiently at Corlie’s back, the multi-hyper-colored swirls of their masks cocked in her direction as they watched their leader address her.

“What…” Kami blinked as she sought to process the group’s appearance. Corlie and the other silent women who made up the ranks of the creepy squad were primarily based on the Corellian Hound, which was currently participating in the battle outside, “How did you…?”

“We transferred over to the Iron Victory prior to leaving Osk ,” Corlie interrupted smoothly, her voice deadpan, “Visha isn’t the King. Her inflated sense of responsibility to the Hound and her crew would have ultimately had us missing out on the action.”

“A move I am sure you are regretting,” Deznim twittered, “I believe Kami means to use the Destroyer as a racecourse and kill us all in the process.”

Kami’s frown lifted momentarily as a smile tugged at the corners of her lips, “Do you have a better idea Dez? One that gets us from here to the bridge fast enough to outrun the men with the guns currently surrounding our position?”

Deznim shook his head in pure exasperation and hefted his rifle back up to shoulder height, “No, lovely one, you’re the one with the ideas. I will follow you, as always.”

Corlie’s mask dipped in a physical affirmation of her approval of the plan, the movement replicated seconds later as the other Queens followed her lead, “At your command.”

“Let’s move!” Kami turned back to the other Osk Company members, “On me!”

Without waiting for a chance for the Osker’s courage to falter, she lead the way at a full sprint back into the blackened, enemy filled hangar and veered towards the side wall where the gravsleds were waiting. Great, black, clunky looking hover vehicles, they were narrow enough to navigate the hallways of the ship yet sturdy enough to carry the heavy machinery they had been designed and brought aboard to move. Pirates began to fall as the first of them leapt aboard the strange machines, their blood showering up to coat their comrades who ineffectively returned fire at the ever increasing number of security personnel charging in to repel the attack.

“Move!” Deznim shoved a dying pirate at the lead gravsled’s controls aside, extending a hand to Kami to steady her as she jumped mid-stride onto the flatbed at the front.

“Just go!” Kami yelled at him as she reached down to help a hulky Gotal member of the Grave Robbers aboard. With her spare hand she fired blindly back at the closest members of the ship’s security force in a vain attempt to buy some time for the lagging members of her assault party. Suddenly, the floor beneath her feet jolted and the sled started forwards, moving easily despite the fact that a few dozen pirates were perched hazardously on its back. Glancing behind, Kami saw two other sleds take chase, following them as they re-entered the corridor system and began to pick up speed.

“Hold on to something!” Deznim yelled back at them, “This is going to get rough.”

Kami bit her lip to prevent herself from retorting that there was nothing on which to hold. Above them the gleaming lights of the ceiling began to blur as the gravsleds hit their maximum speed. As suicidal as surfing a gravsled might have been, there was some comfort in the thought that if they got thrown they would ultimately be killed in the resulting crash, or decapitated as the following sled slammed into their rear. Better that than living to see the rest of the Company destroyed… and her friends killed as a result of her actions.

“This is fun.” Corlie was back at her shoulder, her voice still completely flat.

Kami grimaced, “No. This is just Osk.”
|| Retired ||
[LoR][CoR][IG][GCA][BC][BM][CDS][EW][ES][GRP][GS]
------------------------
|| Dark Jedi Knight || Krath Order ||
CM/DJK Kami Sharpe/Lion 1-3/Krath/Dark Jedi Order/Vast Empire

------------------------
Imperial Network Star Wars Image

[This message has been edited by Kami (edited September 10, 2010 5:08:06 AM)]
Bloodhound
ComNet Novice

Bloodhound

[VE-ARMY] Private First Class

Post Number:  72
Total Posts:  226
September 10, 2010 9:25:25 PM    View the profile of Bloodhound 
"Yes, hire the galaxies best gunman," Hond punctuated the thought with a burst of ion fire, "Then drag him half way around said galaxy," more punctuation, "And once you finally need him," continued punctuation, "Leave him on the ship. 'Cause that's real smart."Hond punctuated his final thought with a sustained spray of ion bolts at what was probably a TIE fighter.

"Shaydup, kids, don't make me pull over,"

"I'LL FUCKING KILL YOU VASILI!" Bloodhound yelled, not bothering with the microphone.

"THEN WHO WILL FLY THE SHIP!?" The pilot yelled back.

"Fuck You." Hond said distractedly as another ship rolled into his sights.

Hond didn't really know much about ships, he knew this one was bigger than the Z. After a few moments of awestruck silence this momentous occasion was celebrated by no shortage of screaming bloody murder and haphazard ion fire from Hond's lovely little turret.

Oh fuck, oh fuck, oh fuck; I'm going to die. I am really going to die. Here. This bastard is really going to kill me. Honds mind began racing, repeating this mantra faster and faster as the Z began dipping, dodging and diving in what felt like little more than an attempt to make Hond die dizzy.

The gunman was not at all pleased. And a little sick. With the constant spray of ion fire from hands that he'd completely forgotten he possessed he was managing to cause at least a little damage to it's shields. He had no idea what to aim for, and lacked the patience or presence of mind to figure it. Listening to Ydj might have helped, if the insect was even talking; but the ear piece had fallen out while Hond was engrossed in screaming at the top of his lungs.

He heard maniacal laughter from the cockpit. That was the last straw. Hond slammed the controls down, causing them to slowly bounce back towards him, but he was already on his way up the ladder. As he scampered out of the gunners well a button of his denim vest caught on the ladder, he was in enough of a hurry that he let the brass circle rip free.

Hond was in a self-preservation induced rage; and some part of that must have shone through his fiery red eyes as the every annoying Ydj gave a start as soon as Bloodhound looked his way and turned the other direction. Hond's right hand kept creeping up to his left side, near the pistol housed under the vest, each time he noticed he had to force it back to his side. He wasn't going to kill anyone. At least not right away.The ship rocked as laser fire found its mark, throwing the errant rogue off his feet and slamming his head into a bulkhead. He amended his previous resolution. He wasn't going to kill anyone on the ship. At least not right away.

When Hond stalked into the cockpit the pilot, in the greasy jumpsuit that was the only clothing Hond had ever seen the man in, was staring, no glaring, out the view port with a grin stuck on his face so tight Hond could only assume the man had forgotten any other facial expressions. He didn't even notice Moelik Hond's entrance. Hond kicked something expensive looking in lue of knocking on the door that was always open.

The crash and electrical sizzle from it made the pilot snap his head around, momentarily before twisting it back to the viewport.

"Shouldn't you be playing with guns or something?"

Hond's right hand twitched, he had to ball it into a fist to keep it from reaching for the pistol on his chest, "Shouldn't you be not getting us killed."

"Go play with fire."

Hond grimaced, loudly, before his body took over and he dove for the pilot, wrapping both hands around the pilots head rest and shaking it violently, "Vasili, get us the fuck away from here; because I swear to the Gods and Stars that if you don't and we survive this I'll kill you. I'll kill you a lot. You will be dead, and I'll probably be dead. We'll all be dead and I'm pretty sure I'm not even being paid for this."

"You're not helping, mutt."

Hond growled, but his anger was fading, grim fatalism slowly taking it's place as he caught tidbits of the battle outside the viewport. He really wouldn't have known what he was looking at if someone told him; but it seemed like there were lots of ships with the Osk Skull not blowing up, and a whole bunch without it blowing up, which was probably good. Even better the erratic shaking of the ship that had threatened to make him lose his last meal had slowed, it appeared they'd rejoined the fleet, which was also probably good. Hond didn't really know, he didn't even know if there was a plan.

He growled, took another look at the pilot, grimaced and left, back to the turret. Mostly to sulk.
Ain't nothin' but a hound dog.
Tanus Solvona
ComNet Member

Tanus Solvona

[VE-ARMY] Platoon Sergeant
[VE-ICS] Privateer Captain

Post Number:  727
Total Posts:  744
September 12, 2010 7:56:46 PM    View the profile of Tanus Solvona 
“Hold the line! We need to give Kams some room to move! Grave Robbers, hold that line or die trying!”

“That may happen sooner than later at this rate, Captain!”

“Shut the hell up and shoot. I pay you to shoot, not to think.”

“You don’t pay me period! I want a raise!”

Tanus gave a deep booming laugh as he fell beneath a large supply crate, blaster bolts, slugs and rockets flying around him a storm of fire and destruction. The taking of the hangar went about as well as expected: Not very. Well, this is what you get when you drop 50 or so pirates in to the middle of a fully crewed Star Destroyer hellbent on killing everything in sight. Someone’s BOUND to get rubbed the wrong way. Tanus loaded a clip of rockets into his Westar-M5, grinning with delight as he did so; he liked asplosions. Tanus lifted his head over the crate he was using his cover and aimed down the scope of his rifle.

“Aim for anything that looks like it might go boom!”

Tanus brought one of the E-WEBs the troopers had sallied out to take out the pirate invaders. Tanus was going to have none of that. He aimed down and to the left, bringing the weapon’s massive power generator into vision. As he pulled the trigger, he felt a sense of calm wash over him. Now things are gonna get a little bit more quiet – and explodey. The heavy rocket lanced out of the barrel at incredible speed. The trail of smoke cut the room in two like a white knife, and then the hangar floor rocked with the explosive force of the rocket findings its target. Pieces of both the weapon and its operators rained down onto the charred and buckled floor below. The pieces bounced scattered across the ground, some even making their way into the open hangar bay door; they floated listlessly on into the void, the stars twinkling brightly as a space battle raged on outside the metal behemoth. This, however, did not seem to deter the attacking soldiers of the Star Destroyer; in fact, it seemed to have quite the opposite effect. They renewed their assault with gusto, shooting at anything that moved. Several of the main pirate assault forces had gone down in the initial attack, ripped apart by the gun emplacements throughout the hangar. The second wave of pirates had managed to take care of those, but with Kami now firmly in the belly of the beast, it fell to Tanus and the remaining pirates to hold the hangar while she went to work. I always get the suicide missions. They must not like me.

Tanus looked to his left and saw Hotah jamming a fresh blaster gas cartridge in to his A280; if for nothing else, the Grave Robbers had pure firepower and tenacity on their side. Tanus looked down and saw a fractured piece of crate. Looking at it, then to Hotah, Tanus shrugged as he picked it up. He threw it from behind his cover, hitting Hotah in the shoulder as he went to raise his rifle for another shot. Hotah stopped and looked over at his captain; Tanus had a mad look in his eyes and a wicked grin flashed across his face. Hotah knew that look; Hotah also hated this look.

“No. No that is an AWFUL idea,” Hotah shouted over the sound of battle.

“You don’t even know what I’m going to say yet,” Tanus said with a hint of glee and madness in his voice.

Hotah just shook his head as he pulled a grenade off his belt, primed it and hurled it in to the breach. Tanus didn’t hear the tiny metallic orb strike the surface, but he most assuredly heard and felt the explosion thereafter. One of the body’s of the dead troopers was hurled clear over Tanus cover, slamming in to the wall behind him with a great deal of force. Tanus looked up and over from his cover to see a horde of troopers moving in for the kill. The Hammer looked over at Hotah with a now grim look; the madness had been replaced with a feral to desire to maim and survive. Tanus pulled a pair of grenades off his belt and stood up, priming them both. With a flourish, he tossed each one in a different direction, pulling his war hammer out as he did so.

“For the Mad King! Charge!”

Tanus leapt over his barricade, hammer in one hand and Samurai Edge in the other. Several of the enemy troopers stopped in their tracks; what was this mad man doing with a war hammer, charging? Tanus made them regret that decision by filling their skulls with lead. Others attempted to rush him, to try and bring him down. But he was stronger, better, faster. His war hammer cleaved through their ranks like a scythe – well, if that were the case, it would be a rather blunt scythe. Bodies were hurled in all directions as the hammer’s head met its mark. Bones were broken, skulls were crushed, and the lamentations of screaming dead men reverberated off of the hangar walls in a tumultuous chorus of pain and suffering. Now he was smiling again, moving over the bodies of the fallen with deadly precision, sparing none his wrath. Tanus chanced a look back to see how the others were fairing: Hotah was leading the right charge, axe in hand and swinging away. To his left, both Micah and Korval were hammering away with the heavy artillery. So far so good

“WALKERS! WE HAVE WALKERS! GET TO COVER!”

Tanus turned his head just as he heard the call: On the opposite side of the hangar from the Grave Robbers stood two AT-ST walkers, and they did not appear to have tasty treats for the pirates either. No, they more than likely have flaming death. Tanus swung his Westar-M5 in to his right hand, firing one handed from the hip. He could feel the weapon’s recoil fight against him as he strained to maintain both a solid aim and a tactical retreat.

“Fall back! Get to cover as quick as you can! Heavy support, go for the walkers! Everyone else, take out the ground support!”

“We don’t have the range! They can just stand back there and pick us off!”

Tanus spat on the ground as he blasted a pair of soldier in to the afterlife. Not if I have anything else to say about it. He ducked underneath a heavy support beam just as the AT-STs started to open fire. Their heavy weapons thinned the ranks of the pirates by even greater lengths; Tanus was lucky if he had another 20 men at his disposal. May not have much more by day’s end if those damned walkers aren’t taken out. Hotah appeared at his right not a second later, panting and covered in blood. Tanus looked him up and down with a grimace. Hotah just shook his head.

“Don’t worry it isn’t mine.”

“I imagine if it were, you wouldn’t be here to tell me about it.”

“Fair play. But witty banter aside, how the hell are we going to take those two walkers out. As long as they are still up and about, we can’t escape here, and for that matter, neither can Kami.”

Tanus sat there for a second, thinking of his options. He didn’t have many, besides either die fighting or die cowering, and there was no way he was about to do the latter. He looked at one of the fallen Osk pirates, a heavy comlink strapped to his back. Tanus looked out and to his left, making sure the AT-STs wouldn’t target him. With a quick grin to Hotah, he scrambled out in to the open, grabbing the dead pirate and the comlink attached to him. He pulled the whole thing behind a large durasteel mass, feeling it reverberate with the force of the walker’s weapons pounding it in to dust. He looked down at the comlink and started to set the frequency; the salvos were getting more intense now. Man, they must want me BAD. He set the mic and hearing piece up to his ear, muttering a string of curses and epithets together as the static waned on. Finally, just the voice he needed to hear answered.

“Yo, Tanus, what’s poppin’?” Garryll said with a casual flair.

“Well, Garryll, there’s quite a bit poppin’ right now, especially with where I am right now. Do you know where I am right now Garryll?”

“Nope, no clue. Can you save me asking questions and just tell me?”

“Gladly! We’re in the hangar of that big ol’ nasty Star Destroyer that decided to drop out of hyperspace and hassle us. Kami thought it was a good idea to land inside and then take out the systems from the inside. I would normally agree with this plan, but after all the troopers and then the walkers showed up and started killing us all, I became a bit more disenfranchised.”

There was a good, long pause on the other end of the comlink; the AT-STs had thankfully – or unthankfully – had moved on to other targets, leaving Tanus relatively safe. Eventually, Garryll’s voice filled Tanus’ ear again.

“So what do you need from me?”

“Well, I need you to take those two bombers I gave you and turn this hangar in to slag. Think you can do that for me?”

“I think I would love to do that for you. When do you need me to deliver the fireworks?”

“As soon as humanly possible would be good. Actually, sooner; I’d like to be alive to see the next sunrise.”

“You got it, boss. Garryll out. ETA three minutes.”

Tanus sighed as he put the comlink down and looked down at his Westar-M5. He then looked over at Hotah, who appeared somber in the light of the open chaos. Off to his right, Tanus heard screaming as more men fell to more weapons; he couldn’t tell if he was losing more men or if they were. This is going to be a long three minutes.
PC/PSG Tanus Solvona/Tadath/VEA [EW1][ES1][LM][BC][CoR][LoS][SRP][CDS][SCA][FCE][VUA-ARC-Lambda][AS-2][ESC09][AoT][IH]

~Blackjack Pride - 2009 ESC Champions~

CA/PRVC Tanus Solvona/YZ-775 (m) Iron Victory/The Osk Company/ICS/VE

"The warrior does not question, does not ponder, does not pontificate. The warrior simply does."

"Only priests and fools are fearless, and I have never been on the best of terms with God."

Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken - House Martell words, A Song of Ice and Fire
Hunter-Morrell
ComNet Expert

Hunter-Morrell

[VE-ICS] Pirate Swabbie
[VE-NAVY] Ensign
[VE-VEEC] Editor

Post Number:  1998
Total Posts:  2071
September 12, 2010 9:22:59 PM    View the profile of Hunter-Morrell 
“What the frak are you doing? Are you trying to get us killed?” Jubal yelled as Hunter completed yet another hairpin turn, narrowly avoiding a collision with an approaching enemy starfighter.

As they passed near it, it swung around to follow them, but was intercepted by a volley of lasers. Overwhelmed, it detonated in a brilliant flash of light that was quickly quelled. Mentally, Hunter thanked whoever fired the shot and continued on.

“That wasn’t the end result I was hoping for, no.” Hunter forced through clenched teeth as the ship weaved through the laser-filled space.

Before Jubal could retort, a badly damaged TIE fighter swooped down on them, spitting green lasers at them. Twitching his hand, the Firespray jerked into a spin while Jubal continued to fire, sending the bolts in a radial path that slowly tightened around the TIE until one found its mark and took out the bottom, disabling the propulsion systems. Slipping around the stranded TIE, the Firespray rocked as it took a few hard hits. No way could that be from a regular TIE fighter. That has to be something bigger, something like . . . Hunter’s eyes widened as a very large and very green energy bolt shot past, sending a shudder through the ship. He realized what it was the instant that Jubal, after taking a look at the sensor board, did.

“Star Destroyer!” Jubal yelled, a little high-pitched with fear.

Their focus on the dogfighting and their inattention to their surroundings had caused them to draw near to the Star Destroyer, nearly dooming them. Hunter cursed and began evasive maneuvers, sending the Firespray into a steep dive so quickly that black spots began to appear the edges of his vision and bringing it into a climb just as quickly, nearly sending him into unconsciousness.  Jubal was swaying in the seat beside him, fighting to stay awake. Shaking away the sudden nausea, Hunter pushed the throttle to the maximum and rocketed in the complete opposite direction, careful to watch the area in front of him for any extreme dangers like the Star Destroyer they were rapidly leaving behind. Still continuing to corkscrew, barrel-roll, and generally do evasive maneuvers, the Star Destroyer’s gun couldn’t get a lock on them and, so, was forced to switch to an easier target.

Jubal gulped down a few breaths of air before remembering their previous conversation, “Why does that not reassure me?”

“Why don’t you do something useful for once and keep your eyes on the sensor board like you were supposed to be doing earlier.” Hunter snapped, not even bothering to listen to the Echani’s response.

It wasn’t going nearly as badly as he thought, as he looked out on the battlefield that lay before him, everything was going quite good actually. The Oskers and their temporary allies seemed to be steadily gaining a distinct advantage as the enemy starfighters were whittled down by the combined might of the pirates’ capital ships and starfighters. A few more starfighters took potshots at the Firespray, barely even brushing against the shields, before they were forced to turn their attention elsewhere. Then, suddenly, the Firespray reached a temporary calm spot and took full advantage of the peace.

“Ok, Jubal. We’re out of the fire for the moment. Check all the systems and make sure everything is in working condition. I’m going to take us towards the Osk ships.” Hunter said, breathing a sigh of relief.

“Everything is good to go. No major damage other than a few scratches.” Jubal said with a grin.

“What all weaponry does this thing carry?” Hunter said, flicking his eyes to the seat to his right where Jubal sat, staring intently at the panels and displays before him.

Hunter noted that he hadn’t even touched anything yet. Great. I just happen to luck up and get the one being that doesn’t know how to operate a starship. Shaking his head, he pushed the throttle forward, slowly bringing the ship to full speed. Grimacing, he pulled back on the yoke and twisted it to the side. His stomach lurched as the ship did a corkscrew flip and he tore his eyes away from the battle long enough to glance over at Jubal, who picked that moment to finally figure out the display controls . He began to pull up the weapons systems, along with the current condition of the ship, and Hunter was rewarded with a complete schematic of which weapons were equipped and the location of each weapon.

Looking them over, Hunter made his decisions, “Ok. The two turrets on either wing are set to automatic, so they should have been . . . wait, are they even on?”

Jubal paused a bit before answering, “. . . Uh, no? They are not.”

“So we’ve been flying this entire time. Without weapons.”

“Er, yep. That sounds about right. What, you didn’t notice?”

Hunter didn’t move a muscle, except for a twitch of the face. Forcing down anger, he remained calm and simply opted to not reply. Thankfully, Jubal had enough sense to activate all weapons and set them to automatic, though he kept the top turret under manual control.

Surprisingly, Jubal proved quite adept at the operation of the turret, more so than the operation of the actual starship the turret was attached to. Destroying more than a few starfighters and crippling many more by the time they had reached the Osk-dominated part of space, he was actually impressing Hunter. It was quite amazing, especially considering how much Hunter had been throwing the Firespray around to avoid getting hit by enemy fire. Nodding in approval, Hunter slowed down a bit as he passed the line of Osk ships.

“So what now?” Jubal asked quietly, slightly engrossed in the display readouts.

“What now? Well, I suppose we’ll go where we’re needed. Where ever that may be.” Hunter replied, staring out the view port as the battle raged on, flashing bright spurts of flame against the star-riddled blackness of space.
NLO/1LT Hunter Morrell/W:1 "Javelin"/Atrus/TF:A/1Flt/SFC/VEN/VE
(=A=)(=SA=)(=ME=)(=*MAE*=) [CBV.][NS-1][SWC][BRC][VC:B][SoL][NSR]

Everything is possible. But not everything is impossible.
Tinker
ComNet Cadet

Tinker

[VE-ICS] Privateer
[VE-NAVY] Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post Number:  221
Total Posts:  242
September 13, 2010 7:05:06 PM    View the profile of Tinker 
The Fortunado banked violently to the side sending a fuming red-head slamming into the fusion reactor core of the insane hyperdrive unit.

"Fraking hell, you damn lunatic! Who taught you idiots how to drive?" Her questions remained unanswered, which didn't surprise her. The noise in the ship and especially near the hyperdrive unit was unbearable. She was seriously considering the need for ear plugs.

They had been in and out of the fight for what seemed like forever. Cadie barely knew what was going on in the first place. She had been attempting to learn how this Ron guy had jury-rigged this ship into actually remaining in the stars. Systems were scrapped together in the most unique way she could have ever imagined.

Another explosion ramming into the outer hull slammed into the ship. Tinker had enough. She refused to die on this jigsaw puzzle of  a ship because some hot shot pilot couldn't get the job done. She pushed herself back upright and headed for the exit. She had to jump back, the door nearly took her head off as she approached and it came crashing down. Tinker rolled her eyes and placed her hands on her hips. She shook her head in disbelief for several moments, then approached what she could only assume was the next failing system she would have to fix and started to punch the door codes in manually.

The gears acknowledged her efforts with a small grind then abruptly stopped and returned to their unresponsive state. She continued this dance for another handful of minutes before slamming her fist into the bulkhead in frustration. She turned quickly then bounced, flying backwards into the stubborn door. Her face contorted into pure confusion as she looked into the face of a woman standing before her looking frankly smug.

"Who in the hell are you?" She asked the question knowing the better question was how the hell the woman had gotten into a sealed room, but part of Tinker didn't even want to go there.

"The power coupling is about to go, you need to fix that before you run up to the cockpit to complain about Nova's piloting abilities." Her voice was deadpan which only served to infuriate Tinker more.

"Well who died and made you Admiral?" Tinker walked up to the woman. She should have brushed against the cloth of her tunic or at least feel the density of her shoulder. Instead there was nothing but air. As if the woman standing before her wasn't there at all. Cadie frowned and cocked a speculative eye brow then shot her fist through the woman's abdomen which, much to her surprise, met with no resistance and went straight through. The red head jumped back and made a sound that resembled, 'Gah!'

The woman seemed to size Tinker up and found her horribly inadequate. "Listen, Reese right? The spare parts are right in that compartment. Stop being irritating and just swap it out. You are the mechanic aren't you?"

Tinker crossed her arms defiantly then almost fell completely on her ass as yet another blast struck the Fortunado. An indicator light started to blink on the hyperdrive and alarm klaxtons sounded. Tinker knew that the power coupling blowing would leave them a drift for thirty minutes minimum for her to repair the damage. Swapping it out now though she could prevent that. "Oh fine, but I want to know who or what you are."

She quickly got to work grabbing the power coupling and silencing her comm as the voices of her crewmates started to rain in on it. Swapping out a power coupling was easy, something she would have been asked to do before her age even hit double digits on Nar Shadda. It took ten seconds for the coupling to come online, she watched it intently then breathed a sigh of relief as the alarms finally fell silent.

Tinker smirked triumphantly and turned to face the ethereal woman who appeared in the room with her. "See sweetheart, and you were worried..." Her voice trailed off as the last syllable hung in the air. The door to the room was now wide open and the woman gone. The mechanic scoured the room looking for any trace of the mystery woman only to find nothing but the same irritating engine she had been fighting with since signing on to this insane job.

"Yo Tink. You look like you saw a ghost."

She jerked her head to the door to see a familiar face, nice change of pace. "Jev what the hell is going on out there?"

"No time to chat, just keep us running I don't see the captain backing down any time soon." With that he took off to continue jogging to whatever catastrophe was occurring in another part of the ship.

Tinker may have been getting herself into trouble but she was ever so good at it. She blew some air out of her lungs to lazily push her bangs out of her face and headed to the cockpit to find out exactly what she had gotten herself into.
Warrant Officer 1st Class Cadie "Tinker" Reese
XO|WO1 Tinker|A-2|S:153 "Rhegent's Reign"|W:58 "Javelin Wing"|VSD Dead Gun|TF:R|2FLT|SFC|VEN|VE|
(=A=)(=*SAE*=)[MC:1] [CO]
...Our Reign, Your Pain

[[Ron's Underthing]]
Garryll Gates
ComNet Veteran

Garryll Gates

[VE-ARMY] First Sergeant
[VE-ICS] Privateer

Post Number:  1373
Total Posts:  2159
September 14, 2010 10:52:51 PM    View the profile of Garryll Gates 
“Well, boys and girls,” Garryll bellowed up the gunner’s turrets and into the cockpit. “Who wants to cause one hell of a ruckus on a Star Destroyer?”

There were general moans and groans from his mercenary crew of military cast-offs. There was nothing they seemed to dislike more than fighting, even though they were paid to do so at his expense, and that of his boss.

“C’mon, you pansies,” Gates replied. “Ain’t nothin’ to be ‘fraid of. We’ll be blastin’ our way in, kill some SOBs that are heckling the pay-check giver, and then we’ll be helping with the fighting. After all, there’s no need for hand guns and flamethrowers in a spacebattle, and this is the only patch of land for a few thousand kilometers.”

The fighter-bomber made another violent turn, but Gates kept his balance, braced as he was by holding on to one of the dozens of improvised hand-holds scattered inside the first of his two H6 Fighter-Bombers, Widowmakeer.

Some more chatter came from the gunner’s seat as one of his Longcoats let loose a fusillade of laser bolts from one of the turrets. A second later, a yell of triumph as another enemy star fighter was exploded. Garryll staggered back up to the cockpit, again activating the comlink that he’d so recently received new ‘orders’ (if you could call them that) from his old boss.

Merciless,” he commed. “Form up on us; we’re making an attack run.”

“Ahn what?” drawled the pilot of Gates’ second H6. “Ah’d better nae be dooin’ somethin’ to damn dangerous.”

“We’ll be hitting the AT-STs.”

“Ha! Even ah know AT-STs are ground units, and last ah checked, we’d narry laid a foot on dirt!”

“Of course not,” Garryll snickered. “They’re inside the Star Destroyer’s hangar bay. Here’s the co-ordinates.”

That shut the hick up, Gates noted with another chuckle. “And make sure Griff’s got his boys ready for slaughter.”

Ahead of them, the space battle was in full earnest; laser bolts were flickering from the Pirates’ and Imperials’ ships so thick it looked like you could walk on them. Ships, some with the remnants of flickering shields, some without were trading body blows with cannon and missiles. Dozens of hulks and debris fields showed just how brutal the combat had been as so far. On the sensor screen, the action was chaotic, but Gates could see that his other ship was right on their tail.

Ahead of them, the stalwart image of Imperial might was looming in their view screen, turbolasers and TIE fighters flickering around it with no rhyme or reason. The hangar they were headed for was dead ahead, and Gates’ pilot slammed the controls forwards.

All it seemed to do was draw the attention of a trio of TIEs, but the light fighters’ long range shots weren’t much when the two Osk H6’s responded with a blistering blast of laser fire. Six laser cannons on each fighter opened up, blasting one of the TIEs apart and driving the other two off.

The hangar grew larger in their view, changing from the size of a fingernail to the size of a post-it note, then to the size of a datapad screen. All the while, the view was slipping up-down-left-right as the pilot jinked and juked the ship around heavy bursts of turbolaser fire.

“What’s our ETA?” Gates asked calmly as the ship screamed towards its target.

“Damn soon,” replied the co-pilot with a chuckle. “Or never.”

He thumbed the link and input Tanus’ code. “ETA damn soon, chief.”

“Hurrying would be good.”

“Hurrying would certainly explode the fusion cores. Current rate just might anyway.”

“ETA fuckin’ now,” the pilot screamed in exhiliration, slamming on the brakes and whipping the ship around to kill their momentum. Behind them, the other H6 zoomed in, and stopped with about as much flair.

“AT-ST, front and center,” the co-pilot said crisply. “Fire one, fire two.”

The man jabbed down on a control twice, then another, again, twice. Two blobs of plasma lurched across the hangar bay in a millisecond and incinerated the two Imperial walkers. Gates shrugged on his trench coat and clamped a new cigar between his teeth, before grabbing his chaingun from the floor.

The rest of his carde, five ex-soldiers and mercs armed to the teeth were already dropping down into the hangar and adding their firepower to Tanus’ rowdy bunch, or were about to. Gates jumped down off the eight-foot drop from the boarding ramp, letting his thick combat boots absorb the shock. Tanus was popping miniature rockets at Imperial targets while he swigged alcohol and yelled curses or orders at his men.

“Glad to see me, boss?” Gates asked, sliding into cover beside the man bearing the ridiculous hammer.

“Mm.”

Overhead, the two H6s incinerated a few more Imperials with precise laser blasts before they settled down, for fear of hitting their ‘comrades.’ There were still some Imperials in the hangar bay, and Gates spun the chaingun’s multiple barrels in preperation for firing.

“For blood and honor and that shit?”

“And profit. Don’t forget profit and rum.”

ESL/1SGTGarryll Gates/4SQD/1PLT/1COM/1RGT/1BAT/Tadath/VEA/VE [RoM][ICE][IH][CCA][BC][SRP][AS-1][ES1][CoS][EW1] {RESx3} [ESC09] [RoT] [CRoS] [AoT][CoZ]

God is not on the side of the big battalions, but on the side of those who shoot best.
For Tadath, for the Empire.
Only in Death...does Duty end
Do not ask why you serve; only ask how
Kami
ComNet Sultan

Kami

[VE-ARMY] 2nd Lieutenant
[VE-ICS] Pirate Lord

Post Number:  1541
September 15, 2010 7:15:15 AM    View the profile of Kami 
“The bridge is up ahead!”

The cry was taken up by the dozen or so remaining Osker’s still remaining on the lead sled. Kami turned watering eyes forward in order to get her bearings and ensure that her friend’s warning wasn’t premature. Somehow, miraculously, they had indeed made it to the upper levels of the enemy Star Destroyer. The typically narrow corridor down which they had recently entered was branching out, its gleaming pale walls curving to encompass a series of secure elevators leading to the rest of the immense starship. Beyond the elevators a heavy blast door leading into main bridge was slowly grinding inwards, seeking to block the rampaging pirate’s entry to its innermost sanctum. It seemed the commander of the vessel had underestimated the speed of the Osk Company members on-board their temporary transportation and as such had been unprepared for their sudden arrival.

“Don’t stop Dez!” Kami lurched up to Deznim’s side just as the Ryn turned terrified eyes to her, more than aware of the wall of steel quickly closing in on itself before them, “Don’t stop damnit!”

“But the doors!” Deznim squealed back at her, losing the last shreds of his courage in the face of his imminent death, “We’ll be crushed!”

Kami’s gaze centered on the closing blast door as she judged the distance between the solid metallic structures and their hurtling sled. Time seemed to slow, and then stop as multiple courses of actions jumbled together in her mind. Left without the time to rationalize her actions, she seized upon the first and foremost thought of Tanus, Garryl, and the other Grave Robbers still fighting towards the reactor core of the Destroyer.  With such an immense task before them the assault party had decided on a two-pronged attack, each hoping to succeed where the other may fail. If they hesitated now the bulk of the Destroyer’s enemy forces would swamp and destroy the other half of the Osk Company that had been courageous enough to follow their temporary leader. And that was a consequence that she could simply not deal with.

“Jump!” Kami abruptly shoved Deznim, catching the alien off guard and sending him toppling from the sled towards the unforgiving ground. Looking back over her shoulder she screamed the warning again to the remaining passengers, “Hurry!”

The remaining pirates wasted no time in complying with yet another lethal order, throwing themselves after Deznim to leave Kami alone on the shed. She bared her teeth to the buffeting wind and cast herself onto the lever controlling the speed of the sled in an adrenaline fueled attempt to lock it into place. The metal resisted at first, creaking beneath the pads of her fingers as she cast every inch of her physical strength into the endeavor. With a cry of pure frustration Kami re-doubled her efforts, allowing herself a single glance to determine how close the sled now was to the blast door. Her green eyes widened in pure shock as the blast door loomed up before her… just as the lever beneath her palms finally bent and gave way to the unrelenting pressure. Spinning about Kami charged down the rear of the sled, spurring legs made wooden by fear to function. Reaching the very edge of the sled she launched herself free of the doomed vehicle just as it connected with the heavy door.

Kami felt her body lift mid-air as the sled imploded upon impact, the force of the explosion rippling outwards to assault her tiny form. Her cry went unheard as her limbs took on a life of their own in a mad dance which carried her from the blast door back in the direction she had come. Skin scorched as flame rippled over the unprotected skin of her arms and face, causing a wave of intense pain that threatened to turn the world about her to black. Then the explosion ceased and she was falling to the floor at a terrifying pace. Lucid enough to realize the threat, Kami forced her limbs to up to her chest and hit the polished metal in a semi-protected ball. The left side of her body connected first, another wave of agony coursing through her system as the jolt of the impact rippled over every nerve. 

Then suddenly, it was over, her back propped up against the stolid wall of the corridor a few hundred meters away from the blast door.

Kami blinked a few times in order to stop the world about her spinning violently and struggled to focus on the blurry door. Slowly details emerged, revealing the dented security door and the twisted hulk of metal jammed between its partially closed blast shields. The Osk members from the pair of sleds that had followed their mad dash had come to a halt just before the breach and were now pouring onto the Destroyer bridge, screaming war cries and letting their weapons roar to life as they did so.

“Sharpe.”

She blinked again, tilting her face towards the voice. An impassive mask greeted her, the deep blue gaze of Corlie visible between the holes carved out for the wearer’s eyes. Concern flashed briefly in their depths as the leader of the Queens dropped down to one knee beside the pirate lord,

“Sharpe. Can you hear me?”

“Yes…I can hear you,” Kami fought the nausea which intermingled with the burning of her skin in order to choke out a response, “But I don't know why in the hell you're yelling.”

Corlie grunted and shoved her back down as she attempted to rise to her feet, “Stay still!”

Robbed of even the energy to argue, Kami slumped back, only half aware that more hands were now running over her wounded skin. She opened her mouth to demand that the intrusive hands cease in their examination only to realize that a pair of Corlie’s comrades were now at her side, applying emergency bacta patches to the worst of her burns. A needle pricked the crock of her inner arm and suddenly the pain lifted as pain-numbing drugs flooded through her system. She shot upwards with an audible gasp as the sounds of the battle before her flooded her senses.

“Slowly.” Corlie snapped at her as she helped Kami back to her feet, “Give yourself a moment.”

“Comlink,” Kami gasped at her, trying to follow the other woman’s advice.

Corlie nodded to the other Queens and a comlink was passed into her hands. Kami pulled in a deep breath to steady herself before pushing down on the transmit button,

“Tanus. We’ve reached the bridge. If you’re going to hit the core I strongly suggest you do it now whilst they’re otherwise occupied.”

Without waiting to hear the other Captain’s reply Kami dropped the comm. and accepted the proffered blaster held out by Corlie,

"Reinforcements will be here soon. We have to hurry."
|| Retired ||
------------------------

------------------------

Raziel
ComNet Veteran

Raziel

[VE-ARMY] Major
[VE-ICS] Privateer

Post Number:  1496
Total Posts:  2873
September 15, 2010 11:23:53 AM    View the profile of Raziel 
***Before Launch***

[i]He noted her approach from across the hanger with more than a little surprise. Assuming the manner in which he had left the information for Kami would leave no doubts about his interest in a personal meeting, he had expected to be airborne almost immediately. Signing off on the payment for the refuelling of his ship, he turned to face the temporarily appointed leader of the pirate outfit.

She walked right up to him with every intention of voicing an inarguable case for him to hang around a while longer, but as she reached him it dawned on her that she had no words prepared that matched her notions. He waited stoically in front of his ship for her to begin, raising an eyebrow when she remained silent.

“Thanks . . . for this,” she started, holding up the data pad that had been left for her.

“Thanks were not necessary. Only payment,” he replied. Outwardly he remained impassive, hoping Kami would soon leave him along. Inwardly he was extremely agitated. Over the past year he had only made conversation when assuming a guise for a mission and now someone who knew him – at least a portion of his true self – was talking to him. The whole notion of having any business with an ex colleague had been a mistake. Panic was something he rarely experienced, but it was overwhelming him at this very moment. A medical professional would probably have attached a neat little label to his current issues, something along the lines of “Social anxiety disorder.” From Raziel's perspective he just wanted to return to his self imposed exile and become a series of actions again; a small chain of events in the large Universe, not an individual with all the psychological issues that entailed.

“You undercharged us for this,” she stated. “I've paid as much in down payments to contacts to try to obtain this information as I did for you to bring me everything I needed within a month” she was watching him carefully and noticed just a flash of an emotional cross his usually passive expression. For some reason she was reminded of herself being dragged out of a drunken stupor by her Osk captains. The man before her was in full control of his functions, she realised, but no less lost than she had been back then.

“It wasn’t so hard to come by,” he lied. “I guess people had just been ripping you off!”

“Extracting this much sensitive information, directly from what is possibly the most insular and religiously zealous civilizations in the galaxy? I doubt it.” Kami continued, choosing to press the point. Still observing him closely this time she observed a hint of anger. Habitually taking stock of her tactical position she decided she would put a little more distance between them. He was clearly not in a great mental state, and whilst she was well aware of his shortcomings, with just a metre between them she didn’t particularly fancy her chances if he suddenly turned aggressive.

There was an awkward silence for a moment before he replied: “It wasn’t exactly easy to get at, truth be told I had to partake in what they called an “absolution of sins for an unbeliever” but I've been through worse. Consider it a discount for a favour I probably owe you,”

“Impressive stuff,” she replied, he smiled thinly and did a little mock bow with his head. “By the way, is that an Avanti mark three sensor package you've replaced the prow weapons with?” she enquired of his vessel. She moved closer to the vessel, taking the opportunity to get some distance between them whilst feigning interest in his ship. From this distance she had faith in her skills with a side arm to protect herself. An idea struck her then and her interest in the ship's equipment became real.

“There's something you want to say, please just say it,” he said, annoyance creeping into his voice. She turned away from the ship and regarded him again. Arms crossed passively and unreadable again.

“Look we've got a mission coming up and you’re ship might just be what we need.” the idea was being spoken as fast as it unravelled in her mind. The idea wasn't entirely without merit, they probably could do with a scout ship, but if she could keep him around a little longer she might just think of a way to save another lost soul, as she had been. “Nothing in our fleet this small has this kind of kit and right now we're thinking of flying blind into what could be . . .”

“What are you doing here? I mean really, playing pirates and all. Why?” he said, tilting his head enquiringly. He wanted out of this conversation, fast. However he had erred, now it was Kami's turned to be angry.

“Where else have I got to go?” she started, opening her arms in a gesture to encompass the world around them. “Really, where the hell else should I be, seeing as you seem to have better ideas?” she said, her voice raising louder with each word. Her escort at the hangar entrance quietly moved into a better position, but Raziel had been studying them all along.

“I'm sorry, I didn’t mean anything,” he said after an awkward pause.

“Damn right you didn’t, where exactly is it you're off to now anyway, I assume you've got some better place to go!?” she retorted. “Because I'd wager you haven’t a frakking clue.” she finished, lowering the pitch of her voice to a whisper.

He wanted to do something, he really did. She had seen right through him and it infuriated him. Part of him wanted to reach for a weapon, it had already been planned out by that dark, logical part of his mind that was always working. Two shots from a holdout blaster to the chest and head to drop her, then rail rounds to force her guard back whilst he made his way into his ship to heavier weapons. Another part of him wanted to turn his back, ignore her and just leave. Instead he did nothing, neither his hands or feet had the will to respond. She had also embarrassed him, and that left him motionless.

“Look,” she said after nearly a minutes pause, her voice softer now. “We're going to need you to break our king out of that ship,” holding up a hand to stifle a reply. “I know it will cost us and we don’t have the funds right now to pay you more. This next mission will fill our coffers again. So you have two options, stick around and wait or help out until we can pay you, or piss off back to whatever quiet corner of the galaxy you were hiding in before. Your call.”

With that she turned on her heels and strode away from him, her escort falling into step behind her after eye balling Raziel for a few moments.

The words “I'll stay,” never left his lips, stuck somewhere in his throat.

*** Present ***

A full scale battle was a surprising good place to hide. All the energy being let loose and the charged particles being thrown about made it very easy with a small enough sensor profile and the right technology to stay out of sight – or at the very least appear to be an insignificant target. Raziel's ship had the right technology, but he was still having a hard time just keeping his ship from being caught in the firing solution of one of the many capital ships taking part in the melee.

He was looking for the opportunity to bug out of this engagement, if he broke away without enough speed he was sure to be targeted and shot down. So for now, he used minimum power to manoeuvre his ship around whilst the computer tried to calculate the least risky escape vector. His intention had never been to be part of a large scale space engagement, just to help out and then let the pirates risk their necks grabbing the prize, a prize that would be used to pay for his next job. The dark, calculating part of his mind was trying to pretend his reasons for staying were purely professional, despite his conscious realising that Kami had shamed him into staying for other reasons. He just hadn’t figured out what those were yet.

Disaster struck with very little warning. His sensors reported that the Helm corvette he has been shadowing's shields were about to fail, a moment later turbo laser fire origination from the ISD lanced through the hull of the vessel. Bolts of energy surged around his ship and in full knowledge that a single hit would bring his end, he punched the thrusters. This drew the attention of a wing of TIE fighters who moved to intercept him. A directed burst of EM energy in their direction confused their scanners and they moved onto a more obvious target.

Raziel's hands were a blur across the controls as he desperately searched for a possible route out of this mayhem. The destruction around him was extensive as the rag tag pirate fleet suffered the wrath of a fully armed destroyer. For some reason they were clinging on, intercepted transmissions suggested they were trying to take out the destroyer from inside. Whether it was desperation, or some other reason, the pirates were fighting against the odds. Kami's pirates appeared to be dying in desperation.

He changed his mind in that instant. Loading up the very best infiltration subroutines he had at his disposal, he picked out one of the destroyers flanking frigates as the best target and plotting an approach vector to move within communication range. If his plan worked one of the enemy ships was about to have some inexplicable power failures . . .
MAJ/Raziel/1PLT/1COMP/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE/(WoS1)(VP1)(VP2)[BoA][EW1][CDS][IH][GC][RoT][IG][SoS][GroM][PoC]
ARC Commander: Alpha, Beta Squads

"God does not play dice with the universe" - Albert Einstein
"Who are you to tell God what to do with his dice?" - Bohr
"God does not play dice with the universe. He plays an ineffable game of His own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players [i.e. everybody], to being involved in an obscure and complex variant of poker in a pitch-dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a Dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time." - Terry Pratchett
CM/DJK Raziel/lion 1-5/Krath/VEDJ/VE (WoS1) (VP1) (VP2)
[This message has been edited by Raziel (edited September 15, 2010 11:25:07 AM)]
[This message has been edited by Raziel (edited September 15, 2010 11:27:19 AM)]
[This message has been edited by Raziel (edited September 15, 2010 11:29:21 AM)]
Jager
ComNet Member

Jager

[VE-ARMY] Gunnery Sergeant

Post Number:  571
Total Posts:  630
September 16, 2010 8:21:59 AM    View the profile of Jager 
With the battle raging above them, a trio of vessels flew in a tight formation across the moons surface towards the pole. Out of the fifteen or so, they had been the only ones to break the blockade, and now were given the prestigious opportunity of being the first Oskers to move in on the facility.

"F-first drop?"

"Nope."

They called the new guys 'meat'. It was like most other institutions in that regard. You didn't get the privilege of a name until you earned it. Green horn, New blood, Freshey, baby face. He'd heard them all, though he couldn't recall what he did to earn his name. It seemed like an age ago.

"Man, I'm nervous as all hell"

This one was a green as they come. They all where. Farm boys, no-hopers, the detritus of the galaxy sold a line about grand adventure, of incalculable fortunes and loose women. Osk was a beacon for those types. For them, it was their one chance at making it big. Problem was, no one ever told them it was never gonna happen.

"You got a n-name?"

He eyeballed the kid briefly. The glance sent a noticeable shiver through him. Solid build, a little weedy though, possible malnutrition. Probably not old enough to shave. A look of wild fear in his wide, hazel eyes.

"Nope."

"Heh, alright then. I'm Thar-" A raised palm froze the rookie mid-sentence.

"No names."

"All...right." With an unsteady hand he went about rechecking his ill-fitting equipment. His weapon alone was probably older then he was. Good gear was a rare find on Osk, contrary to popular belief there was no honour amongst thieves. Everyone was out to make a few credits off the naive newcomers. From the bartenders who watered down their drinks, to the weapons venders who sold defective goods. It was a feeding pit and these kids were getting thrown in head first.

He had been lucky and got a good deal on some derelict Imperial gear. Standard issue trooper armor that had seen better days. He'd spent the better part of a week fixing it in the small room he'd been assigned back on Osk. He was quite the sight amongst the sea of patch work leather and hand-me down get-ups the rest of the 'meat' were wearing. A lone veteran clad in faded and scarred carapace sitting towards the back, an almost serene expression across his grizzled features, his cycloptic gaze fixed on a point on the hull.

As a fighting force the new guys were eager. To eager. It was a liability. Everyone wanted to be a hero. 'Heros are the first to die, bastards live forever' someone once told him. Words to live by. For a new guy, the best thing that could happen was to be picked up by a crew. Mercenary groups who did alot of the ground work for company. Getting in meant you were accepted, which meant a cut into whatever the group's haul was and someone watching your arse when things got rough. The concept was reminiscent of the squads back in the Corps, but more cut throat.

Selection was rough and places were limited. The groups wanted hard fighters, not baby faced slummers who couldn't shoot straight or follow an order. This meant that getting stuck aboard a 'meat wagon' was something akin to a suicide mission, and by the looks of those around him, this was gonna be one of the first wagons to reach the slaughter house.

There were a few faces though, Recruiters mostly, looking for able bodies to fill a rank. As well as a shepard or two. These were the men responsible for herding the meat into the grinder. Older, hard-ass types who kept the new guys in line. The pair onboard stalked through the ranks checking for the worst cases. Kids who'd released a little too late that they were in way over their heads. The last thing anyone needed was for one to lose it and let off a few rounds inside the cramped cargo bay. One walked past him, brushing against his knee as he did another circuit.

"Uh, Sir?" the rookie to his left queried. The shepard was, for lack of a better word, a big bastard. Board shouldered and thick. His steele gaze that sat behind the stylized Osk-skull tattoo that adorned his face, shot down to the rookie as he growled a response.

"How long until we get there?"

"Shut it, meat. Soon enough" he sneered before returning to his rounds. The tattoo was an interesting quirk. It was a sign of loyalty, more then anything else. Most had one somewhere on their body. Across the left breast was popular, but the face was a sign of true loyalty. The company before everything else.

The idea was ironic in a way. Loyalty to a cohort of murders, scum and thieves seemed a fleeting thing at best. It was even more so on the new guys. Nothing like unquestioning loyalty to a group of people who are using you as cannon fodder. Sort of like the Corps, but without the paycheck.

"Listen up!" A voice boomed from the front of the hold, "Gear down in twenty. We're gonna be the first son's of bitches down and its up to us to establish a landing zone for the bosses." An excited murmur ran through the two dozen or so new comers that stood shoulder to shoulder in the vessels cargo hold. This was big news for alot of them. "Just keep your heads down and your guns up. There ain't no backing out now." It was a pity most wouldn't be around in an few hours.

"Ahh, man. Fuck. I'm shakin' like a leaf." The rookie muttered as he tried to steady his hand, "You got any tips for a newbie?"

"Yeah." his face twisted in a warped smirk, "Heros are the first to die, bastards live forever."
Scout/Heavy weapon specailist

http://www.vastempire.com/wiki/index.php?title=Jager_Luth
Gunnery Sergeant J. Luth/Echelon/STC Academy/Tadath/VEA/VE
DeepSix
ComNet Novice

DeepSix

[VE-ICS] Pirate Swabbie
[VE-NAVY] Senior Crewman

Post Number:  52
Total Posts:  973
September 16, 2010 10:30:41 AM    View the profile of DeepSix 
The battle outside did not appear to be dying off. That much was rather obvious judging by the way that the Charlotte kept on being slammed around. The slamming part though wasn't all that bad. Heck, it meant that the ship's shields were still up... for the time being at any rate. How much longer they were going to hold however was anyone's guess. One thing was certain however, if things wouldn't start improving - and fast - then the whole ship would end up just another derelict wreak, doomed to forever float in nothingness unless someone or something would be kind enough to end its torment for good... Hmm, come to think of it that wasn't the only certain thing after all. Another certain thing was that Seth Qorbin had no intention whatsoever of sharing that fate. Certainly not just standing there at any rate. Heck, the Onderonian decided long ago that he would either die fighting or die in his sleep, preferably as a really old man - not that the latter seemed too realistic though.

Guess that's the guy i want right there...

The mentioned fellow was human, tall, well built, better equipped than the other riffraff running around and above all the man also seemed more confident... calmer yet obviously quite sharp at the same time. Considering the way others around the hangar and likely the whole ship if not the entire Osk fleet looked and acted Seth could only come up with one word to describe him - a pro. Of course this hardly meant the individual really was one, but all appearances thus far sure as hell pointed to that conclusion. Then again maybe it wasn't the man himself that seemed better than the other Oskers. Maybe, just maybe it was Osk itself that had rather low standards... at least as far as the general crew was concerned at any rate.

Regardless of which was true, this hardly mattered at this time however. To begin with Seth did not notice the fellow because of the way he carried himself but rather because of what it was that he carried himself in - an Ixiyen fighter. Of the dozen or so ships having remained in the Charlotte's hangar because of whatever reason, only 3 of them had hyperdrives. Although the Ixiyen wasn't Seth's first choice the presence of an assault droid protecting one of the other crafts as well as the final one's rather poor location if considering a thieving attempt... well, it was in the end what the Onderonian smuggler was left with.

Thinking or rather just reacting fast, Qorbin started making his way towards that ship. The same ship the previously described professional was heading for. Now under normal circumstances Seth would've not stooped himself to petty theft, even if come to think of it there was hardly anything petty about the theft of an entire ship though... Given the current set of circumstances however, well the Onderonian's survival instinct proved stronger than his already rather questionable morals. He could've just drawn his blaster and ended the other guy before anyone would realize what was happening but even if that would've meant his survival he would've ended up pretty much sealing his Osker career. He could've tried fighting for the ship in a good ol' fashioned brawl and he might've even won too but alas the probability of that happening wasn't high enough for his own tastes.

Sorry buddy...

The apology was only thought but never actually spoken aloud because that would've perhaps alerted the man to the smuggler's presence right behind him just as the latter was bringing down the handle of his blaster. Bringing it down right on the fellow's neck and leading to the man's collapse. In Seth's experience the fellow would remain unconscious for at least a few minutes before waking up real sore and most likely in a quite vengeful mood. Luckily for the Onderonian, he would not be there to deal with it... at least not right away anyway. Assuming they'd all survive a proper apology no doubt involving booze and credits might be achieved. But that was getting ahead of things.

"You there! Take that guy to sickbay..."

The order was given to one of the Oskers running around without an apparently obvious objective in mind. With most of those drunken fellows it was really hard telling when they were doing something useful and when they were just... ehm, pretty much doing nothing actually. Right before closing the fighter's hatch Seth decided to add:

"If he wakes up tell him i'm merely borrowing this."

Most cutthroats would not have given a flying frak about such excuses but Seth thought it was just as well he let the owner know of it anyway. Now that Onderonian was certain not to have his conscience suddenly start nagging him... well he was pretty much ready to get the heck out there and see what was happening for himself. Powering up the Ixiyen's engines Seth gracefully made his way out of the chaotic hangar and straight into the chaotic universe made even more chaotic by the multitudes of ships and laser fire going in all directions.

What the frak is this?

Seth's first instinct was to look at his scanners but the blinking blips there were just too many for him to take track of. Realizing it was more or less futile DeepSix then raised his eyes to look at the situation for himself. What he saw there was... well there really wasn't a better word for it other than chaos. For one thing a huge Destroyer appeared to be present on the battlefield and as luck would have it Osk ships were its targets. This was the first thing that made the Onderonian cuss. The existence of a heck of a lot more ships than Osk had apparently fighting there too was the second. From what he could tell the third party - whoever the heck it was - was also fighting the Destroyer. This was good. The fact their ships weren't of a singular design however wasn't. Fighting TIEs would be easy even without relying on instruments but how exactly were the Oskers supposed to tell themselves apart from the unknown participants?

Bah, for now guess i'll just concentrate on bringing down as many TIEs as i can. It would be nice to know who these other fellows are though and whether they're with us or not. Enemy of my enemy is my friend - that's all nice and peachy but what happens when that common enemy is no more however?
FM/SCRW DeepSix/Γ-3/S:153 Rhegent's Reign/W:58 Javelin/VSD Dead Gun/TF:R/2Flt/SFC/VEN/VE [MC2]

FM/SCRW DeepSix/A-3/S:137 Raptor/W:46 Defiance/PLF Saratoga/TF:TH/3FL/SFC/VEN/VE [MC2]
Kami
ComNet Sultan

Kami

[VE-ARMY] 2nd Lieutenant
[VE-ICS] Pirate Lord

Post Number:  1545
September 22, 2010 9:59:46 AM    View the profile of Kami 
The bridge of the ISD had become a world of smoke and flame. Osk Company members ran rampant, yellowed teeth bared in malicious, gleeful grins as they descended on the unarmed technicians controlling the staple functions of the colossal vessel. Those few guards unlucky enough to have held the superficial security posts at the door fell gurgling to the floor with vibroblades and outdated cutlasses embedded in their chests, comlinks raised halfway to their mouths as they attempted to summon reinforcements that would arrive too late.

Kami stood amongst it all, her dark-clad form motionless save for the slight shifting of her jade gaze. Before her lay a blood spattered console detailing the Destroyer’s primary functions in the precise, synoptic code familiar to her from her days in the Vast Empire.  Sirens began to wail as the Osk Company members turned their attention to the other consoles, some flicking switches with little to no purpose, other more technically savvy pirates typing furiously onto keypads or blasting away at exposed wiring or circuit boards.  The screen before her flickered and froze momentarily as it struggled to deal with the sudden change to its system before updating its display with a report filled entirely with yellow and red warning labels signaling catastrophic failures.

“Tanus and the others must have hit the core,” Deznim appeared at her side, his mustachios lifting as he smiled for the first time since exiting hyperspace, “The shields are coming down!”

Kami looked to her beaming Ryn companion, and then glanced sidewards at the blood streaked mask of Corlie who was standing nearby. The leader of the Queens of Madness simply cocked her head to the side in response to her stare,

“I think it’s time for us to take our leave.”

“What?” Deznim turned to face to the masked woman, “But they’ll resecure the bridge! All our efforts…”

“Will be for naught if we die here,” Kami interrupted him, “We’ve wounded them enough to force a retreat. That’s all we need. We cannot hold a destroyer Dez.”

“I…” The Ryn shook his head, seemingly to shake off his momentary euphoria, “You’re right. Vasili and the other ships should already be on their way back.”

Kami lay a hand heavily on her friend’s shoulder to stop the impending frantic dash to summon their retreat, ‘Wait.”

Deznim hesitated, his smile vanishing, “What now?”

“I’m not going back to the Z. Not yet,” She held up a hand to cut off the beginning of the Ryn’s protests, “I have another ride. Raziel. He’ll be in the hangar with the others. This endeavor has been a farce as a result of my poor planning. I need to make some amends.”

“This Raziel,” Corlie pronounced the name slowly, as though tasting the sound, “Can his ship hold the Queens?”

“Yes,” Kami’s expression shifted as it took on a predatory edge, “Yes it can.”

Jack Helm, known simply to his cowering subordinates as Helm, sat comfortably within his jeweled chair as his officers verbally summarized the reports coming in from the ongoing battle. A jug of chilled ale was resting in one of his heavily calloused hands, whilst the other constantly stroked the bushy gray beard that sprouted out from his chin and cascaded down to brush the bulk of his growing belly.  A man of few words, Helm was none-the-less a cunning leader, his singular eye missing nothing as it traced the flashing lasers and ships visible beyond the large viewport before him. Two of the Lancer Frigates the Maniot Pirates had targeted at his command were now effectively out of the fight with the third under heavy assault on the periphery of his vision. Whilst the pair of heavily damaged frigates were in all likelihood not worth salvaging, this final frigate would make a fine contribution to his fleet if he could successfully reign in his men’s appetite for destruction when the time was right. The acquisition of such a useful vessel, combined with the bounty of whatever lay on the moon of Sketan II, would make the inconvenience he had suffered so far on this venture an acceptable hardship.

“Helm.”

Tobias Easton, Helm’s heavily tattooed second in command, dared to approach the hulking figure of his leader, “Trouble.”

Helm reined in the urge to strike at the impetuous man, “This had better be good.”

Tobias seemed to steel himself for Helm’s imminent wrath, “Osk Company ships have broken the blockade and have landed on the moon’s surface."

“What?!” Helm rose slowly to his full height, his next word emerging as a hiss, “When?”

“A few minutes ago,” Tobias continued, clearing his throat in a visible display of nervousness, “We only just received word.”

“Get me onto someone to answer for this,” Helm snarled as he span to his communications officer, “Now you fucking slime!”

The holovid screen mounted above Helm’s chair shimmered as the terrified pirate hurried to comply, eventually revealing the upper profile of a man who would have looked more at home on the ad of an Imperial recruiting campaign than onboard a fellow privateer ship. Helm grunted to himself as he momentarily examined the stolid Osk Senior Captain before allowing his anger to boil forth, “Greetings comrade.  Some of your ships seem to have misinterpreted the boundaries of the bloody battle!”

“Misinterpreted, no.” The commander of the ridiculously designated Charelotte seemed completely unperturbed by Helm’s fury, his deep voice infuriatingly level as he corrected him, “Ordered to ignore, yes.”

“Ordered?” Helm’s remaining eye widened as he stilled dangerously, “Get that bitch leader of yours on the line! This was not part of our agreement!”

“The factors driving our initial agreement have changed ,” The Osk Captain responded, “And I’m sorry to say that our revised approach no longer requires your input.”

“Turncoat!” Helm screamed at the man’s visage, spittle flying from his mouth as he lost the last vestiges of his restraint, “You will pay for this betrayal!”

“Give us a little more credit,” The man answered him, “We are not the novices as you have assumed.  There is no honor amongst thieves. Only one of us will walk away with the prize.”

“Helm!” An edge of panic had crept into Tobias’s tone, “The ISD is quitting the field.”

Helm’s gaze flicked from his tattooed counterpart back to the face of the Osk Company on display before him. Somehow, the motley collection of ships making up the other Company’s fleet had managed to achieve the suicidal task he had purposely given them. The odds were…overwhelming, and yet following that dizzying accomplishment they had also taken proactive action to secure the cache on Sketan II.  Helm’s calculating mind went into overdrive as he took in the cocky, self sure attitude of the Captain before him, slowly piecing together the drastic change in events. He was by no means a tactical master, but he could understand the inner workings of the mind of a fellow hunter as easily as he could pick good rum from the bad.

“Ship on high alert!” Helm span around to address his bridge, completely ignoring the Osk Captain at his back as he recognized the imminent threat, “Secure all airlocks!”

“We have a breach!” Tobias's now hysterical reply caused his heartbeat to quicken, “A ship made it past the scanners, I don’t even know! No response from security!”

“Damnit get everyone up here!” Helm roared, moving to step down from his chair as the dozen or so pirates on the bridge came to life, “Everyone!”

Further instructions were cut off as he became aware of the masked figures that had abruptly appeared in the cockpit’s main doorway. The masks swiveled about the room in unison until the dark holes that served as eyes came to a rest on Helm where he was exposed terribly above his subordinates.

The first laser bolt hit him directly in his solid gut, sending him stumbling back into the supporting weight of his chair. With a roar of shock and pain he hurtled back to his feet and made to charge at his attackers only to come to a halt as two more red beams slammed deep alongside the first. He dropped to his knees, both hands clutching at his belly as he became aware of the tall woman within the ranks of the masked attackers.  Too wracked with pain to do anything but stare back into the hypnotizing eyes locked onto his, he was only half aware that the masked intruders were now methodically cutting down his men who had pulled weapons free to come to his aid.

The wielder of the blaster that had killed him strode confidently towards his crumpled form as an encompassing blackness crept into the edges of his vision.

"Helm." Ignoring the carnage at her back, Kami, temporary leader of the Osk Company, stopped a bare meter before his crimson throne and raised the barrel of her weapon up until it was level with his forehead,

“It was a pleasure doing business with you.”
|| Retired ||
------------------------

------------------------

[This message has been edited by Kami (edited September 22, 2010 10:05:38 AM)]
[This message has been edited by Kami (edited September 22, 2010 10:08:59 AM)]
Jegora
ComNet Veteran

Jegora

[VE-ARMY] 1st Leftenant
[VE-DJO] Adept
[VE-NAVY] 2nd Lieutenant

Post Number:  1479
Total Posts:  2175
September 22, 2010 8:46:35 PM    View the profile of Jegora 
“Status?” Jegora questioned, his voice echoing across the command deck.

“Shields holding, Captain. Those new generators you had installed are something else,” one of the tech operators responded after quick moment.

Jegora only grunted. He had expected nothing less from the new generators. They had cost him a small fortune, and if they weren’t holding up he was going to have a long talk with the merchant that he had bought them off of. Assuming he could find the man again, which could prove to be rather difficult. For the moment, however, it appeared as if everything was working as it should. Jegora shook his head, refocusing: he had enough problems to deal with in the present without worrying about problems that might develop in the future.

“The advance team is away?” he inquired, turning this time to his executive officer.

Em nodded, her long, beautiful hair swirling about her face. “Aye, they just landed and are getting things set up to breach the facility, but they’ve encountered heavy resistance.”

Jegora grunted again. Picking up a comlink, he keyed Tanus’ frequency. “Tanus, is your ass off that Star Destroyer yet?”

There was some muffled static before the other senior captain’s voice broke through. “Yeah Jeg, we just took off. Now what?”

“Get your squad moon-side,” Jegora said, his voice purely professional. “An advanced team is preparing to breach, and I need you and your team to hold the airlock so we can get the rest of the men inside. I have no idea what’ll be meeting you either, so be prepared.”

Tanus’ language was a bit more colorful. “Kriffing hell man, are you trying to get me killed. Bloody good-for-nothing son of a space who-”

Jegora cut the link, having more important things to do than listen to Tanus insult him. The man would do his job, and he would do it well; he always did.

Still holding the comlink, Jegora keyed a differently frequency, this one linking him into Kami’s communications unit.

“Kami, Tanus is making a beeline for facility, and the rest of our ground forces will be right behind him,” Jegora said once the link was established, not wasting time on pleasantries.

Static crackled over the link before clearing suddenly. “Roger that, Jeg. We’re just leaving now. Tell Tanus we’ll meet him on the ground. I trust you can mop things up here?”

Jegora nodded, and then realized that Kami couldn’t see him. “I think I can handle that. Good hunting down there.”

“Same to you,” Kami’s voice echoed, and then the link closed.

Turning back and facing his executive officer, Jegora nodded. “Are the Maniot ships holding?”

Em turned and conferred with another bridge officer for a quick moment before turning back to face Jegora. “Looks like. They seem a bit lost without that Helm character.”

Nodding to himself, Jegora ran a hand through his hair before turning to look out the viewport into the deep black of space spread out before him. “Well then,” he said, a feral grin stretching across his face. “Let’s get in there and make sure they stay lost. Shields full front, ladies and gentleman, and bring all batteries online. Let’s see how we do.”

Up until this point Jegora had kept the Charlotte out of the thick of the fighting, well aware that within her bowls rested an extremely large portion of the Osk Company’s accumulated strength. Now, however, the tide had turned. The ISD having quit the battle, and with the Maniot ships in disarray, the Charlotte was now the big dog on the block. And she had something to prove.

As the Bothan Assault Frigate started to drift forward, Jegora noted with grim satisfaction that any defense forces unlucky enough to find themselves within the Charlotte’s firing arcs were almost immediately destroyed. Jegora had spent thousands of his own credits to upgrade his new charge, and he was glad to see that everything was working to specifications. 

The first real threat to come along was none other than the Maniot pirates’ flagship, the one that Kami and Raziel had just boarded. They had managed to kill the Maniot leader, Helm, and retreat successfully, but apparently without anyone present to actively threaten them into submission the crew of the flagship thought that maybe they could make a difference. Jegora intended to disabuse them of that notion. Hard.

“Targets, starboard side, on intercept vector,” one of the technicians called out. Jegora only nodded and motioned to Em.

“Thirty degrees starboard pull, maximum broadside,” the beautiful executive officer called out, and instantly the helmsmen obeyed. Jegora let a small smile grace his face. He had trained his crew well.

“On my mark, starboard broadside. Fire for effect,” Jegora said, his voice ringing throughout the ship as the comm systems carried his orders to the appropriate crews. “Mark.”

Instantly the Charlotte’s guns roared to life, and red turbolasers lanced out towards the enemy capital ship.  Jegora could tell by the flicker of energy around the enemy vessel that its shields were down, a fact quickly confirmed by the bridge crew. A few straggling bolts tore into her hull, exposing her precious innards to the hard vacuum of space before the emergency seals managed to slam into place.

Opening a wide-band communications frequency, intended for all the participants of the battle to hear, Jegora let his voice go ice cold and iron hard as he spoke to all the combatants of the bloody engagement.

“This is Jegora Fal, commander of the Charlotte,” he said, emotionless. “All ships not aligned with the Osk Company are ordered to drop shields and prepare for boarding. Failure to comply will result in annihilation. Attempts to undermine this command will result in annihilation. If your ship even looks threatening, it will result in annihilation. You have been warned.”

With that he cut the frequency and turned back to his own displays. One by one he noted that the Maniot pirates quickly dropped their shields and retreated a safe distance from the battle. Many of the defense forces did the same, but not all.

“Very well,” Jegora said. “Let’s go mop up.”

OOC:
At this point, if you want to participate in ground combat, get down to the moon. Tanus and Jager will be leading the assault, I believe, and Kami should be joining you. If you want to stay in space and kill shit, Jeg and the Charlotte are still up there mopping up defense forces. The Maniot pirates have surrendered, and are being boarded, searched, and stripped by other Osk forces. If you want, I suppose you can write about that too.
Jegora Fal
Adept of the Dark Jedi Order
Senior Captain of the Osk Company
Jager
ComNet Member

Jager

Post Number:  573
September 24, 2010 7:54:20 AM    View the profile of Jager 
Everyone gets everything they want. He wanted a purpose, and for his sins, they gave him one. Front row seat to the main show. The battle in space was an opening act compared to this, a warm up for a group that had been sitting idle for too long. This was were the real fight was, which is why he'd volunteered for a place on the ship.

Every day he spent idle on Osk, he felt himself get weaker. He was a junkie cut off from his source, looking for something, anything to help take the edge off or better yet, another hit. And like a junkie, his drug was going to be the death of him.

They trio of vessels crept up on the facilities atmospheric shields like a pack of wolves closing for the kill. They boxy silhouettes hugged the cratered surface as their engines roared mutely as they pushed them furiously towards the lip of the massive crater that the facility had been built into. A faint glow, like the surface of a bubble, ran just above the lip of the land form. Atmospherics shields.

Intel had said nothing about shields. Intel had said very little about the facility in general. He doubted anyone really knew what was waiting for them once they hit the ground. The entire operation stank, but it seemed like he was the only one who could smell it. It mixed with the stale, bottle air that fed through the oxygen masks and hazardous environment helmets that they had begun to fit. They all carried a small air tank that would last an hour or so, but given the nature of their mission, they would probably be discarded before long.

They were excited, the poor fools. A quite electricity was running through the ships cargo holds. leap frogging from person to person until it had them all fidgeting where they stood. The vessel buffeted as it tightened its formation in the wedge. They were almost there.

It was as they crossed the shields perimeter when concealed turbo-laser batteries opened fire.

'Spirit of truth', a pre-clone war cargo frigate took the brunt of initial salvo. An open com-channel sent the wails of the damned reverberating through the other two ships bowels. It was a slow burn, the occupants most likely cooked inside the vessels steel hull before the inevitable collision with the moons surface. Better them then him. It was then the panic set in. Strained nerves began to fray, a crushing sense of dispare gripped the occupants like a vice and began to squeeze. They had just reached the slaughter house.

The pilots dived sharply, throwing their passengers around like ragdolls, as they attempted to get below the batteries arc of fire. The act startling the already terrified occupants. 'Xaviers revenge' was the next hit. The facilities guns scoring direct hits on its main engine, causing it to burst like a powder keg. There was no scream this time, just a frantic, garbled update from the pilot and then silence. The facilities guns fell silent as the 'Osrus star' dropped below their firing lines as it closed for the final few kilometers. They were close now, they had to be.

Inside the 'Osrus', the panic had only built. The Shepard's were doing their best to scare the 'meat' back into line, but it was a losing battle.

In the midst of the chaos, he sat calm. The slow burn of pre-battle adrenaline that he'd come to crave seeped through his system like a designer drug, the anticipation continuing to build like a coiled spring in the bottom of his gut, his senses sharpened to knife points. This is what he wanted. This is what he craved. This was him.

Suddenly the vessel lurched and shuddered. A high pitched, chaotic patter drummed across the the hull. Blaster fire from the welcoming party. It was then something big hit. The ship, barely a hundred meters from the ground, keeled over onto its port side, causing gravity to dissipate for the briefest of moments.

Then came the collision.

The vessels occupants where thrown mercilessly against the hull as the ear splitting sound of the hull grinding along metal blanketed the cargo hold followed by an otherworldly silence. It didn't take long for the crys of pain to ring out from crippled passengers. The force of the impact had snapped bones like dry twigs. Arms, legs, backs, necks. Many were saved by the cushioning provided by those around them.

Experience had taught him to always strap in for an assault drop, which spared him the hassle of a broken neck, but like the others he too was disorientated and dazed. His weapon had been ripped out of his hands and lay in the throbbing mass of bodies that congealed on the opposite wall. He felt cold. The temperature was in the minus, and very few of the recruits had packed any suitable foul weather gear. Body gloves and thermo-underwear would stave off hypothermia for a little while, but already his teeth had begun to chatter and the tips of his fingers began to go numb.

He'd just managed to regain his senses when the ships cargo bay doors opened.

Show time.

He struggled to unbuckled the harness as calls for the passengers to get moving began to ring out from the Shepard's. With a grunt he pulled the knife from his boot and began to work the stuck latch. Out of the corner of his eye he could see the first of the 'meat' exiting the vessel. Exit was the wrong word. Stumble, was more like it.

It was a slaughter.

Blaster fire tore through the first half dozen before they had even made it twelve paces. They danced like tortured marionettes in the thick dust as the super-heated plasma cut through them like wet paper.

And they continued out, some with renewed zeal. It was strange what a mixture of adrenaline, fear and misplaced loyalties did to the impressionable and inexperienced. They ran to oblivion on the promise of fame and fortune, only to be cut down on a no-name moon to secure a landing site for people they would never meet, and who gave little thought to their existence.

The utter pointlessness of it all gave him a moments pause, staying his hand from the stuck latch as he watched the scene unfold. The dust from the crash still hung heavy around the vessels hull, throwing up a thick grey sheet a few feet out the cargo doors. Flashes of red and green wizzed by, cutting clean through the darkened silhouettes of bodies. Their cries, sharp and brutal, were cut short as they were torn to pieces.

The stuck latch let out a pained creak before giving way, dropping him awkwardly to the floor below. The blaster fire had stopped with the charge. All in all, he guessed eighty to ninety five percent casualties. Both Shepard's were dead. Only a few sat huddled against the wall, weapons high, waiting for the inevitable counter charge from the occupants.

The assault was a failure. That much was certain. But if he could get an open channel to the Charlotte, to Kami, hell to anyone, then he could rely the situation. With a groan he took hold of a discarded blaster rifle and made for the cockpit.

[This message has been edited by Jager (edited September 26, 2010 7:07:19 PM)]
Bloodhound
ComNet Novice

Bloodhound

[VE-ARMY] Private First Class

Post Number:  73
Total Posts:  226
October 3, 2010 2:57:58 PM    View the profile of Bloodhound 
No, No, No, all wrong. Bloodhound poked his head out around a corner, nothing, but then what was he expecting? It was a mostly empty corridor drenched in blood. Which was about what he should have been expecting. If he'd been smarter. He wasn't and so some part of him expected to see an enormous pile of gold, gems or unclaimed property of a valuable and mysterious nature. D. None of the Above. So glad I went to school just to learn that phrase.

"Are you sure you know where we're going?" Vasili asked, lighting a cigarette and lounging against a wall.

"Of Course!" Bloodhound yelled, "Follow the bodies!"

"Yes, another remarkable plan."

"I'll fucking kill you."

"So you keep saying."

Bloodhound growled and stepped into the corridor, keeping his slugthrower at the ready. He saw the corridor through orange tinted lenses that lent it an even more disturbing air, as though looking at blood through blood. Moelik Hond barely noticed. Vasili looked carefully around the corner in the direction Bloodhound had stepped. Hond motioned him to hurry up.

Hond walked down the hall, running was far overrated, not paying an overmuch attention to the littering of dead bodies as much as keeping an eye out for anything that looked worth looting. There wasn't anything. It irritated him. They'd arrived late, all the good stuff was probably gone. Hond sighed and hung his head at the prospect. Pretty sure I'm not even being paid for this.

The corridor lead, well, it didn't seem to lead anywhere, Hond picked and random room and tapped the door controls with the muzzle of his pistol. It slid up, Vasili jumped, Hond groaned.

It looked like the room had already been tossed, and had once been a laboratory of some sort, Hond wasn't sure. It could have been anything really, but there were a lot of funny shaped bottles, so he assumed laboratory. I hate leftovers.

Hond stepped in anyway, letting the butt of a filter-less cigarette fall from his mouth. He poked a couple of the bodies with his toe. They didn't even twitch. This is boring. He started and spun when the door shut behind him; but it was just Vasili, holding his blaster pistol in both hands and looking around as though he expected the cupboards to attack him. Hond spit and continued poking around, opening drawers and cupboards with his pistol, shifting around the broken glass and random debris on the floor.

The room was fairly large, mostly full of desks and work stations and a few overturned miniature torches laying on their sides. Hond wasn't interested in fire, he was interested in shiny stuff.

"Look for anything of value, I'll take this side, you take that side."

"Bah!" Vasili had been wholly against this idea.

In fact, Hond considered just getting on the rock at all to be a monumental feat. He probably deserved a monument. Not that he paid the idea much mind, he assumed everyone with a monument was probably the worst kind of person; fat cat imperials who lived in floating villas and such. He didn't like that kind of person. Hond kicked a desk over.

Little of note in it, he pocketed a handful of loose credit chits and a fancy pen. Some of the equipment he was breaking was probably valuable also, but he wouldn't know who to sell it to, so he broke it. He liked breaking things.

"Stop. You hear that?" Vasili said, pausing.

"If you're pulling my leg. . ."

"Yeah, yeah, you'll 'fucking kill' me, I know, now shut up."

Hond gritted his teeth, Vasili was getting annoying. He heard it though, voices. Loud voices. He ducked behind the overturned desk. They were coming nearer, if they hadn't been as loud he'd have never heard them. They were moving fast too, first it was just noise, but above the bustle of their movements he could hear excited yells, things like:

". . .Rich!"

"Hell YES!"

"Finally a prize!"

"And what a prize!"

The voices passed. Quickly. Hond waited a second before standing, but Vasili was already on his feet.

"I think we got what we came for." Hond stated as mater-of-fact-ly as he could.

"No, really? Well shit, guess we'll have to cancel this lovely vacation then."

"Not yet, we haven't made credit one yet."

"Yes yet, we need to get back to the ship and pick up the Boss."

Stop making sense.
Ain't nothin' but a hound dog.
Raziel
ComNet Expert

Raziel

[VE-ARMY] Major
[VE-ICS] Privateer

Post Number:  1501
October 5, 2010 11:30:01 AM    View the profile of Raziel 

In His name we are strong

The daemons shall not hinder us

In His name our reach is long

His gaze watches all

In His name we cannot fail

Our enemies shall be swept aside

In His name all shall bow

The unbelievers be redeemed with fire

In His name our actions are just

His will be done

In His name we shall succeed

His will be done

Raziel followed Kami and her twelve warriors onto the bridge of the pirate vessel, so far he hadn’t so much as moved a muscle in anger. He casually strode into the melee as the thirteen women proceeded to tear the bridge apart with a methodical grace that even Raziel found slightly chilling. Moving to one side he leaned on a console, no one paid attention to the apparently unarmed man in the corner.
    Keeping a concealed identity was something he could fully relate too, but he hadn’t heard a word uttered by any but the leader of the female troupe. In the midst of a brutal scrap for control of the bridge he pondered the Queens. Perhaps they were all horrifically scarred war veterans, or maybe they just wished to be free of all personal hang ups and revel in the savagery of combat? He sighed and stopped his train of thought, realising he was heading in the direction of some personal reflection he was not prepared for.
    With no warning at all he sprung into action, he had of course been fully aware of his surroundings at all times. Noticing one of the pirates preparing to launch himself at the back of the Queen of Madness he moved to intercept, pulling at a toggle on a wrist strap and unravelling a length on nanotube wire. Throwing a loop of the wire over the pirate's head, one tug tightened the wire around his neck. The micrometer thin wire sliced through flesh with ease and it was only when the loop reached spine did Raziel feel any resistance and the pirate realise he was dead.
    Raziel bent down and carefully unlooped the bloody wire from around the prone corpse of the pirate. The Queen turned from the victim who she had been stabbing the life out of and looked at Raziel briefly. The eyes betrayed no hint of emotion or intent, she just took in the scene and carried on fighting. Now armed with blasters that had not been visible a moment ago, Raziel joined the fight in earnest.

“Right, time to go,” ordered Kami still standing over the body of the Helm.
    “Where to ladies?” Raziel asked.
    “The surface, we need to break into that facility and get the package, are you coming along?”
    “As much as this has been fun,” he gestured with his arms to encompass several bodies around him. “Piling my own body into the breach of a heavily defended vault isnt my kind of thing,” he replied with a hint of a smile.
    “More for us.” Corrie stated with no hint of humour as she passed him. The queens filing behind her and heading for the hull breach.
    “Just get us down there then, that's all we'll need,” Kami said. She considered the display on her blaster pistol before emptying the rest of the power cell into Helm's lifeless body before replacing it. “After you,” she motioned for the door.

Raziel piloted the ship at a leisurely pace through the combat zone, concentrating more on the sensory output than any manoeuvring. The computer was busy calculating the best approach vector for the outpost. Moving through atmosphere at high speed was a good way to get yourself noticed.
    “So what is this thing exactly? Stealth plated?”
    “Sort of, its got a relatively low sensor profile,”
    “But why aren't we getting shot at exactly?” Kami asked, craning her neck to look at the battle going on around them.
    “Oh that. Well so much data comes through a sensor relay that a computer has to process it all before it gets passed to a pilot,”
    “Obviously!”
    “Now given the speed of fighter combat, targets are sorted by priority automatically. Now if you know the process the computer is using, it's just a case of arranging parameters so that you come out on the bottom of the list. Buying the military grade software on the black market and reverse engineering is pretty tricky, fortunately other people have already done the job for smugglers and the like. Fighters are easy, their pilots will skim the top of the list and head for the nearest obvious target. Capital ships are tricky, they have lots of people going through sensor data. In all honesty being unarmed, small, and keeping power output to a minimum does most of the job, but the computers do the rest, watch . . .” he explained reaching for the thottle.
    “No, no it's fine,” said Kami, looking quite bored.
    “If I push the throttle . . .” The ship failed to accelerate and one of the consoles flashed red, asking for confirmation. “See if I push the engines up any further we risk jumping into a high priority group because we'll look like a fleeing shuttle,”
    ?“Thrilling,” Kami replied, barely containing a grimace. Raziel resisted the urge to see how much more technical spiel he could read off before Kami got really upset and returned to his instruments. A moment later Raziel grunted a noise of confusion.
    "What's that warning for?" Corrie managed to ask over his shoulder, whilst maintaining a tone of complete disinterest.
    "We're clearing the combat zone, but have a ship tailing us," he replied.
    "But you said . . ."
    "Either I'm not as clever as I think I am, or someone was looking specifically for us." Raziel said. Ignoring the computer's warnings he sent more power to the engines and the craft's acceleration doubled.
    "Its matching us, weapons lock detected." Kami said, no longer feigning interest in the ships systems. Raziel scattered some magnetically charged chaff behind the ship, but it was too late. Without warning all the consoles went dead.
    “What the hell?” Kami started, recoiling from the controls. “Ion pulse”
    “Must be,” Raziel replied. “It's been safely discharged, but I’m getting nothing from all systems. Shit.”
    “We're an easy target,”
    “Doesn't matter. If we don’t get systems online we're all dead regardless.” Raziel replied pointing to the asteroid rapidly filling their viewscreen. “On this vector  we're dead regardless without power.”
    “Fuck.”
    “Quite.”
    “This is depressing,” Corrie sighed, breaking her silence.

OOC:
TBC later
MAJ/Raziel/1PLT/1COMP/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE/(WoS1)(VP1)(VP2)[BoA][EW1][CDS][IH][GC][RoT][IG][SoS][GroM][PoC]

"God does not play dice with the universe. He plays an ineffable game of His own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players [i.e. everybody], to being involved in an obscure and complex variant of poker in a pitch-dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a Dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time." - Terry Pratchett
[This message has been edited by Raziel (edited October 5, 2010 11:30:35 AM)]
[This message has been edited by Raziel (edited October 5, 2010 11:31:27 AM)]
[This message has been edited by Raziel (edited October 5, 2010 11:32:36 AM)]
[This message has been edited by Raziel (edited October 5, 2010 11:32:59 AM)]
Jegora
ComNet Veteran

Jegora

[VE-ARMY] 1st Leftenant
[VE-DJO] Adept
[VE-NAVY] 2nd Lieutenant

Post Number:  1485
Total Posts:  2175
October 5, 2010 9:48:29 PM    View the profile of Jegora 
The space battle was subdued, but it was far from over. There were still several Lancer-class frigates in the fight, and they were holding formation relatively well considering the chaos of the battle. Upon further inspection, however, Jegora began to understand why the smaller frigates were fairing so well. They were anti-starfighter craft, armed with a vast array of heavy laser cannons designed to obliterate smaller craft. And while almost useless in capital ship engagements, those weapons were devastatingly effective against the multitudes of smaller craft that the two pirate organizations had fielded. In short, none of the pirate fighters, bombers, or even the transports could get close enough to do any damage without being destroyed themselves in the process.

To deal with the threat that the Lancers presented, Jegora would have to involved the Charlotte directly. This gave him some pause. Normally a Lancer-class frigate couldn’t stand toe-to-toe with a ship the size of the Charlotte, especially not in outright combat. These were not normal circumstances, however, and the Charlotte was out-numbered by the enemy frigates. On top of that, the Lancers would be quicker and more maneuverable than the larger Bothan Assault Frigate, and if Jegora tried to attack one of the ships the others would simply swing around and flank him. They might not have been heavily armed, considering their size, but the combined fire power of the three Lancers would be more than enough to break the Charlotte’s shields.

Running  a hand through his hair, Jegora thought furiously. He had no time, no time to sit here and plan. He had to make a decision, and as he sat staring out the viewport at the approaching enemy frigates, an idea suddenly came to him—an idea that just might be crazy enough to work.

“Signal the Last Chance and the Hand to hold formation,” he ordered to the communications officer, referring to the twin Marauder-class Corvettes flanking the Charlotte. “And someone plot me an assault vector.”

“Uh, where do you plan on going?” Em questioned, no doubt echoing the thoughts of much of the bridge crew.

Jegora let loose a rare smile, a feral grin that stretched across his face until it very nearly became a snarl.  “Right into the center of that Lancer formation.”

There was a moment of stunned silence on the bridge, and Jegora didn’t blame them. Logically, the tactic made no sense. He was literally ordering his ships into the middle of an enemy formation, was planning on being surrounded. In reality, though, the results would be massively different from what would normally be expected in such a situation. He hoped.

The Lancers were flying in formation, but it was a loose formation. If Jegora could maneuver his ship and the two corvettes into the center of the Lancer formation, they could safely fire outward while the Lancers would be forced to check much of their fire for fear of hitting their own ships. It was a tactic Jegora had learned from studying military history, and one he never though he’d have the opportunity to see, let alone use. Now he had his chance, however, and he was prepared to make the most of it.

“Vector plotted,” one of the navigators said after a quick moment. “Transmitted to the Last Chance and the Hand,” he added.

“Good,” Jegora muttered, “good. Divert power from the shields, forty percent. Feed it into the main turbolaser batteries. Gun crews, prepare for double broadside. Maximum effect. Helm, take us in.”

Orders echoed throughout the bridge, and Jegora imagined them being passed throughout the entire ship. Slowly at first, then more quickly, the Charlotte began to accelerate towards the Lancer formation. The two Marauder corvettes held formation, slightly below and behind the Charlotte and side by side. This allowed them to focus their turbolaser fire upward without risking friendly fire from the Charlotte’s broadside. Jegora’s chest was pounding. This was a different kind of combat, he decided, but it was still combat. The adrenaline rush was still present, and he still had to keep a careful reign on his emotions.

He was still a soldier.

The Lancer craft obviously didn’t know how to counter the three Osk company ships approaching them, so they simply held course, assuming that eventually the pirates would break off. When they didn’t, the Lancer captains truly began to panic, realizing their predicament even as it became too late to do anything about it.

The Charlotte slid into position perfectly. Two of the Lancers were directly on either side of her, and the third was directly in front a ways and slightly below—in perfect position for the Marauder’s heavy turbolasers to make short work of.

Jegora didn’t waste any time. The command he issued next was as simple was it was deadly.

“Fire all batteries,” he very nearly whispered, and all hell broke loose.

It went just as he had predicted it would. The lights on the Charlotte’s bridge dimmed from the strain of firing a double broadside, even with power diverted from the shields, but they held. The shields themselves, weakened considerably, also held. As expected the Lancers hesitated to fire, afraid of hitting their sister ships, and the shields easily absorbed the little punishment they did receive. The Marauders made short work of their target as well, the focused turbolaser fire literally disintegrating the front half of the third Lancer-class Frigate.

By the time the three Osk ships had moved out of the Lancer formation, none of the enemy ships could be considered operational. One was completely destroyed, and the other two had no shields and several hull breeches and were listing through space, obviously badly damaged.

Jegora let out a deep breath and motioned to Em. “Send out rescue shuttle for prisoners, and boarding teams. I want the two remaining lancers intact. Understand?”

For her part Em was just staring at Jegora, as if unable to comprehend that his strategy had actually worked. When she spoke next, Jegora thought he actually detected a bit of respect in her voice, something he had never even imagined receiving from her.

“Aye aye, Captain,” she said after a moment before turning away, and this time Jegora could detect no trace of sarcasm in her voice.

OOC:
Raz, feel free to continue whatever you were going to continue. This obviously doesn't effect you in any way.

On another note, we're winding down folks. Get a move on.
Jegora Fal
Adept of the Dark Jedi Order
Senior Captain of the Osk Company
Jager
ComNet Member

Jager

Post Number:  577
October 7, 2010 7:29:59 AM    View the profile of Jager 
A sort of youthful arrogance, or perhaps it was more of a boisterous post-battle high, radiated from the man, even amongst the carnage that the 'Osrus star' had been witness to. He seemed oblivious to the dreaded, bone chilling cold that permeated within the light atmosphere created under the blister and the mass of fallen Oskers that littered the grounds. Dressed in a tattered foul weather coat with his warhammer resting on his right shoulder, he sidled past the corpses of the fallen that lay strewn in a wide arc from the vessels mouth. Behind him, a retinue of armed men, 'grave robbers' as they had dubbed themselves, one of Osks more prominent crews, swept out in a wide fan watching for signs of an ambush.

He'd spotted the vessels coming in minutes before they landed. The dull crump's of concealed turbo-laser batteries being atomised by focused fire from the Iron Victory and its escorts, echoed through the crater and signaled their arrival. The second wave wasted no time pressing on where the first had failed. Already they had breached the facilities airlocks and were steadily making ground. In a way, he was relieved. For a moment there he'd wondered if the transmission had gotten through, given the vessels state, though it didn't matter now.

Tanus paused at the Osrus's cargo door and peered inside before knocking his hammer against the split hull.

"Come on out if you're coming out." he announced after a quick succession of metallic thuds. Out of the original load, only three of the 'meat' and one recruiter remained, not counting himself. They were shaken, but relieved to see the rescue party. The group eagerly leaving the wreck without a hesitation. He was limping now, the fall from the harness and the cold were taking its toll, igniting old wounds.

Tanus's reception was more or less how he'd expected as he hobbled down into the cargo hold. Out of the big three, he was the most like Snipes. Carrying a similar presence with him, which was only exemplified by his wargear and entourage. The 'friends close, enemies closer' method of social interaction that he'd seen Battlemont use countless times worked just as well for the Ex-trooper,

"And here I was thinking you'd gone and taken the facility by yourself." He greeted from the doorway, eliciting a few chuckles from his entourage, "Rough landing I see."

"Something like that..." he muttered, "Shame you missed it. What took you so long?"

"Yeah, real shame. Got caught up with the red tape. You know how it is."

In a previous life, Jager would have kept up with the sarcastic conversation, but that was a long time ago. Right now he was jaded, tired and sore and Tanus was in the way.

"What happened? You're leg fall asleep while you were waiting for us?" The captain jibbed, again earning a few more chuckles from the cohort of thieves, murderers and brigands that kept watch. Jager just growled as he hoisted himself over a fallen crate. Steadying himself, the two made their way clear of the vessel. From their vantage they could see the large, rectangular hanger door that had been carved into the craters wall.

"Swept the place the moment we landed. Tenacious bastards, I'll give them that. Had a star destroyer and everything."

"I saw" Jager replied,

"Anyway. Fal's on clean up and Sharpes on her way down any minute now. I'm supposed to meet her over by the entry way." he motioned, "You up for a wal-"

"Where'd you park?" he queried in a dull grunt, cutting the captain short. With a snort, Tanus motioned behind the fallen vessel,

"Yonder. Come on, don't you wanna see whats inside?"

"No" Jager muttered, "I just need a drink and a lie down."

Tanus shot him a queer look before shrugging his shoulders, "Suit yourself. Don't have too much fun now." he stated before turning to his retinue, "Come on boys, lets see whats taking this slack-ass bastards so long."

With that the cohort set off towards the rockcrete hanger doors of the facility at double time, eager to seize the day and take whatever wasn't nailed down.

He hobbled off towards the Victory. It had been a long, pointless day. He was cut, bruised, gimped and on the tail end of a battle high that was ending sooner then he'd hoped. He passed the Osrus without a second glance, though noticing the scavengers that had come down with the second wave already picking through the dead out of his peripherals. Vultures. The wounds were still steaming into the cold air and already they were being stripped clean.

He needed a drink, a smoke and a quite place to ride the tail end of his high out. He was getting too old for this shit, his mind casting itself back to when the battles had a point, and weren't just some senseless slaughter in the name of some quick credits. Things had certainly changed, and it was only just now that he realised that he wasn't changing with them.

DeepSix
ComNet Novice

DeepSix

[VE-ICS] Pirate Swabbie
[VE-NAVY] Senior Crewman

Post Number:  60
Total Posts:  973
October 7, 2010 5:16:18 PM    View the profile of DeepSix 
The Onderonian pilot did exactly what he decided upon previously. He avoided getting in range of any of the large ships stationed around and he maneuvered in such a way that allowed him to target lone and distracted imperial fighters. A rather cowardly tactic but one ensuring the maximum chances of survival. Duels - whether on surface whilst tightly gripping a blaster or in space whilst tightly gripping the yoke of a starfighter - were just not all that grand if you were the one happening to lose. And losing was something that was bound to happen to anyone sooner or later. There was simply no way to avoid that. Why then risk that outcome when a little bit of dishonesty could prevent it?

And another one becomes space dust.

The exploding TIE brought a smile on Seth's face. It was his fourth target already and he had managed to get it without any problems whatsoever. The Imperial pilot probably never even saw him coming, too busy going after another Osk starfighter. Why, all the Onderonian Osker had to do was get in a clean position behind and upon feeling confident that the shots would connect - open fire. A few moments and laserbolts later Seth was free to pick on a new easy target.

Good thing we at least outnumber them as far as small ships are concerned. Plenty of targets to choose from, and considering not all are affiliated with Osk... plenty of acceptable casualties. Acceptable and perhaps desirable even.

As the pilot continued his guerrilla style flying he couldn't at one point but stop to wonder what was happening as the huge and dreadful looking destroyer just turned round and began drifting away. The sight of the biggest threat around leaving the battlefield was quite wonderful to behold. Wonderful and awe inspiring considering how Seth doubted such a thing could be done. That is he did not doubt the possibility itself, but rather the sum of all variables involved. Like the fact that there were no capital ships strong enough to take it on. Or the fact that despite their superior numbers, they just did not have enough firepower to achieve that result. Not without getting themselves sacrificed in the process at any rate... The thought that a bunch of drunken misfits were good enough to deal with such a threat - well that showed the smuggler that Osk was a force worthy of notice if nothing else.

The bigger surprise however came shortly afterward. A decrease in flying skill was expected from the Imperial defenders but what baffled the Onderonian was that the other pirates were also apparently becoming more disorganized - not that they ever were properly organized to begin with but still... The cause of the latter became apparent when the Charlotte began firing at their flagship. So as he suspected all along the removal of one enemy led to the reconsideration of the current situation. If possible it would've been nice to assimilate the other pirates but that probably wasn't a possibility given the course of action adopted by his leaders. Part of him however wondered whether it was prudent to turn against their former allies so easily. Granted it was the smart thing to do right now but at the same time this backstabbing could end up having deeper ramifications in the future.

It would after all end up painting Osk as untrustworthy and the chances of another future alliance would pretty much plummet. There was also the lesser possibility that these guys had other somewhat powerful friends out there. Encountering them after this mission would as such become dangerous. The worst was that the threat might not even be an obvious one either. Seeing how they all operated outside the restrictions of laws and rules it would in fact be more damaging to let either the New Republic or the Remnant Empire to know about some of their dealings. The consequences of that - now those were really dangerous. What could be simpler than having a rival holding grudges simply let the Remnant or even the New Republic know of some future major operations? What would stop them from setting some traps for the Oskers then? Now these were the dangers that Seth pondered on as he switched his targets of choice from TIEs to Maniot pirates.

[[This is Jegora Fal, commander of the Charlotte. All ships not aligned with the Osk Company are ordered to drop shields and prepare for boarding. Failure to comply will result in annihilation. Attempts to undermine this command will result in annihilation. If your ship even looks threatening, it will result in annihilation. You have been warned.]]

Strangely enough most remaining combatants on the field actually went along with that. As far as Seth could tell that was just stupid however. Granted they may have been confused by the disruption in their chain of command but they were pirates for frak's sake. There couldn't have been that much discipline there in the first place. Seeing how the Maniot pirates still had the majority of the smaller ships they would've been capable to potentially take out at least two larger Osker ships. That would've probably been enough to even the playground once again. Even if they weren't brave or smart enough to think of that it would've still made more sense to turn tail and run away rather than surrender. Surrendering provided no benefits and no guarantees of any kind. Running away on the other hand would've allowed most of them to still make it and eventually reorganize. Well, it was in a way a good thing their opposition turned out to be this weak.

Making good use of his scanners Seth began taking care of any pirates that attempted to put up a fight or otherwise make a run for it. Seeing how most of the remaining Oskers did the same thing it was hardly a challenge getting to them swiftly and effectively. With each destroyed craft more rebellious ones were powering down, resigned to the inevitable boarding and salvaging that would eventually follow.

Throughout the mop up operation the Onderonian kept checking his scanners for something that he viewed as insane. His scanners showed three larger allied blips on a collision course with three larger enemy blips. Wanting to get a visual on what was happening Seth turned his own craft only to witness the Charlotte followed by two Marauders heading straight for the three defending Lancers. No matter how he tried viewing that maneuver however the Onderonian couldn't stop thinking that it was crazy. For one thing the Lancers could've turned and thus force the approaching Osk ships to deal with their broadside salvos. Even seeing that did not happen they would've still been able to gradually begin firing rather than unleashing full salvos. If they were to divert enough energy from shields into gun batteries then the combined power would've likely been enough to turn the Charlotte into scrap metal. The fact that by some miracle they hesitated enough for the latter to take them out, well that was as far as Seth could see nothing more than blind luck. Chances of a similar maneuver working again were too slim to even be worth mentioning.

This single battle managed to teach the smuggler that the Oskers were as such brave or crazy enough to pull off quite impressive feats. The problem however was that they were also taking large risks to do so and that meant that sooner or latter some of those risks were bound to no longer pay off. Question was whether they would all manage to get over or even survive such things...

Till that happens i might as well enjoy the experience... and other perks.
FM/SCRW DeepSix/Γ-3/S:153 Rhegent's Reign/W:58 Javelin/VSD Dead Gun/TF:R/2Flt/SFC/VEN/VE [MC2]

FM/SCRW DeepSix/A-3/S:137 Raptor/W:46 Defiance/PLF Saratoga/TF:TH/3FL/SFC/VEN/VE [MC2]
Tanus Solvona
ComNet Member

Tanus Solvona

[VE-ARMY] Platoon Sergeant

Post Number:  730
Total Posts:  744
October 11, 2010 11:12:32 PM    View the profile of Tanus Solvona 
“Damn. That is one giant ass door,” Tanus said, followed by a long whistle. He kicked it with the toe of his steel toed boot, and it made a resonant thud throughout the empty hangar. The other members of his party – or rather, the surviving members of his party – were looking around anxiously, waiting for any sign of a forthcoming attack; the dark, dank setting of the hangar did nothing to abate the feeling of dread within the group. Hotah stood off in the background, slowly smoking a cigarette; it was halfway done and hung loosely from his lips. With a sigh, he let out an exhale of air and smoke, filling the air in front of him with an almost ethereal haze.

“You’re very astute. I can see why Snipes gave you power.”

Tanus shot a death glare over his shoulder at Hotah before turning his attention back to the door. It was triple thick duracrete; he wouldn’t be surprised if there were layers of tempered durasteel under there as well. There was no real way to get out open, short of blowing everything to oblivion and back. That wasn’t going to happen anytime soon; they had already lost a lot to get here. Not about to blow it all away – in ever meaning of the word. Tanus turned back to the newest comm operator, a young man nicknamed Hijincks. He was normally an explosives expert, but with Garryll and the teams from his bombers added to his coterie, he fell back to a less painful task.

“Any word from Kami yet?”

“No, sir. I’ve had me ear on the horn for the entire time we’ve been here; no dice.”

“Is it jammed?”

“No. From what we took from orbit, there were no jamming devices detected anywhere near here.”

Tanus nodded his head in approval; at least they weren’t dead to the world. At this point it was all a waiting game, which bothered Tanus more than anything else. It was not a sense of dread; Tanus knew for a fact that if anything got in his way, he was probably going to kill it. It was more a sense of boredom; he now had nothing to do but… wait. With a sigh he sat down and rested his back up against the wall, lowering his hammer to the floor and hanging his head. From the back of the group came a cough; Tanus recognized that cough.

“So… what do we do now?” Garryll asked, his flamethrower held aloft in his hand.

Tanus raised his head up and looked around him: There were a large amount of defunct vessels scattered around the hangar. Tanus shrugged as he got up and drew his flask from the inside of his jacket. He opened it and took a swig, capped it and put it away. He felt… alive again.

“Well, since we’re surrounded by ships… may as well start looting. Keep the pretty shit, toss the useful shit into a pile for the rest of the Company. Strip them bare. I want these things hollow by the time Kami arrives.”

Hoots and hollers came up from the crew as they dispersed to the dead ships. Tanus went off in some other direction towards a ship. It was an old YU-410 freighter, and from the looks of it at least since the Clone Wars ended. He looked up and down the ship for the hatch, and somehow managed to find it through the dark, dank mist that had suddenly decided to fill the hangar. Ooo, spooky. He rapped on the door with his knuckles; the steel of his gauntlets rang against the aged hull of the freighter.

“Well,” he whispered. “I tried to be polite.”

With a swift flick of the wrist, his hammer flew off his shoulder as if a blur. It slammed into the old door, knocking it clear off its track and into the main accessway. It smashed into the wall, crushing into it with a resounding shattering sound. Tanus ducked as he entered the ship and took a look around; it was dark. Really dark. Tanus reached up to his left shoulder and pressed a button, activating a shoulder mounted lamp. He drew his Samurai Edge from his quick draw holster and pulled the hammer back. These armor piercers should do just fine in here. He looked to his right to see a now rather well illuminated hallway. He took a step forward and began his adventure into the old freighter. He swept through the first few rooms of the freighter with a good deal of speed. He found nothing of real value, save a few trinkets that may pick up some credits or alcohol somewhere down the line. He entered the cockpit to find… nothing whatsoever. Whoever had come before took everything of value, and this also included the kitchen sink; Tanus checked there first. Tanus sighed loudly and swore as his pocket beeped. He reached into his pocket and saw his comlink going off. He pressed the activation button.

“Yo.”

“We’ve got company.”

Tanus didn’t wait; he only moved, fluid and graceful down the hallway and out of the ship. He looked around, turning off his shoulder lamp. It the distance he heard swearing. Then he heard blaster fire. He swung his hammer off his shoulder and bolted off in the direction of the sound of battle. As he rounded around the bow of a ship, two armed troopers almost ran into him. As they raised their weapons, Tanus narrowed his eyes, raising his hammer up in a flourish. With a horizontal swing, he disarmed the two men, knocking their rifles off to the side and into the ship’s hull. They bounced to the ground and skittered across the floor. Tanus was wasting no more time here. He raised the hammer up quickly, spike end first, ramming it through the right man’s face. The left man was stunned, utterly incapable of movement. Too bad for him. Tanus raised his Samurai Edge and opened fire; the 7.62 mm rounds tore through the man’s chest cavity, tearing it open like a ripe melon. Blood, bone and torn organs rained into the air; before he hit the ground, Tanus was gone again, his Westar-M5 in hand.

He came into the main staging area soon thereafter, and already there was chaos: Luckily the Grave Robbers hadn’t lost anyone – yet. Unluckily, however, the enemies were pouring in. They appeared to be armored; Tanus guessed they were reinforcements or the troops the VSD managed to unload into the troop ships. Well, they definitely want me dead. At least I’ll make them work for it. He raised his Westar up and started to pick out targets, taking down all those who got into his line of sight. There seemed to be a few entry ways for the troops to get in. Best to lessen those up.

“Take out the door ways! I don’t need more of these bastards coming in here to make me dead.”

“What about us, captain?”

“Well… yeah, you too, I guess.”

“I’m leaving the crew.”

“Only in a casket.”

Laughs raised up from the merry band of murders and thieves. They raised hell in every direction, specifically that of Garryll, with his raucous flamethrowering of the enemy. They ran around, dangling their flaming limbs around in a spectacle of madness; it was quite entertaining. Tanus turned around to Hijincks, who was slamming a fresh clip into his carbine.

“Hijincks, get on the horn with Lana. Tell her to deter any troop ships from entering atmo or landing. The less the land, the less we have to deal with.”

“You got it, boss.”

Hijincks ducked down as he activated the comlink. Tanus turned his attention back to the battle at end, slamming a fresh clip into his Westar. He picked out a cluster of soldiers and unloaded with the rocket launcher, blowing them into Oblivion. Off to his right, Hotah pulled a thermal detonator off his belt and primed it, hurling it into the breach. It went off with a resonant explosion, annihilating everything in a 15 meter radius. Bodies were hurled in every direction as the enemy just kept coming; they seemed endless. Enough’s enough.

Tanus dropped his Westar-M5 to the ground and leapt over the makeshift barricade, drawing his hammer and charging into the fray. As one trooper came up to him for a buttstrike, Tanus slammed the weighted endcap of his hammer into his leg. He jerked to the left slightly and started to go down – except for when he caught the man on the spike at the top of his hammer. He swung the corpse off his hammer with malice, gazing out onto the omcoming horde of armed men hellbent on the destruction of both his crew and himself. He slammed his hammer into the ground, and could only smile. Good odds for any soldier. He flew into them, carving a path with his war hammer, striking all those who got in his way with tremendous fury. The hammer cleaved through them as bones broke and cracked under the force of the blows. Blood flew in fountains and sprays as Tanus danced into the carnage of battle, the thrill of the adrenaline burning in his veins as soldier after soldier fell to his savagery. Behind him the others had started to already move up, firing into the throngs of soldiers. They fell in droves under the concentrated blaster fire, and thanks to the newly formed choke point only a few to traverse into the room at a time. Soon the numbers started to dwindle down to few, and soon the last soldier came charging into the room on bloodlust, and Tanus made him suffer for it. When he finally fell, Tanus wiped his face clean of human blood and turned back to his crew and smiled a mad smile.

“Grave Robbers, earn your title.”
PC/PSG Tanus Solvona/Tadath/VEA [EW1][ES1][LM][BC][CoR][LoS][SRP][CDS][SCA][FCE][VUA-ARC-Lambda][AS-2][ESC09][AoT][IH]

~Blackjack Pride - 2009 ESC Champions~

CA/PRVC Tanus Solvona/YZ-775 (m) Iron Victory/The Osk Company/ICS/VE

"The warrior does not question, does not ponder, does not pontificate. The warrior simply does."

"Only priests and fools are fearless, and I have never been on the best of terms with God."

Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken - House Martell words, A Song of Ice and Fire
Raziel
ComNet Expert

Raziel

[VE-ARMY] Major
[VE-ICS] Privateer

Post Number:  1503
October 13, 2010 9:41:17 AM    View the profile of Raziel 

Raziel took a moment to compose himself. A deep diaphragmatic breath began the process that ended a moment later with sense of calm and a clarity of thought that washed away emotions. Concise action was required now and he had not survived all these years by panicking.
    When he looked over he realised that Kami and Corrie were just sat waiting for his instructions. Out on the edge of civilized space, battle weary and with a slim chance of survival . . . they had all been there before, he realised.
    “Right,” Raziel started, releasing himself from his chair's straps and standing. “When I shout, hit that switch and you should see the system restarting.” Kami didn’t question, just nodded an acknowledgement and put a hand to the switch. Raziel headed out of the cockpit, back through the cramped living quarters where the Queens were squeezed in. Some of them seemingly more interested in the collection of rare weapons adorning the bulkheads than the peril they were all in.

Raziel headed into what used to be the cargo space of the small courier ship. Most had now been sealed off and replaced with more engine space, but there was still a small room that housed the substantial computing system.
    None of the controls in the cockpit were responding, no systems had shown signs of re-powering after the ion blast. That meant one of two things; either some extra safety measures had been activated and the processors had been disconnected to protect them, or the brains of the craft had been completely fried. The whole ship had been gutted and refitted upon purchase, the cockpit no longer resembled a traditional system and if the computer bank was fried none of the consoles would respond. If they were gone, there was no possible way to slow their descent.
    To the side of the entry hatch was a space suit and it had a good purpose that would have to be ignored. Cooled to an extremely low temperature it was not suited for human habitation. Slamming his weight into the emergency release Raziel rushed into the cramped room. It felt like thousands of needles were piecing his skin as the cold penetrated his clothing in a moment. Every ounce of will power was required just to force his body to keep moving.
    The single blinking light on the black tower strengthened his resolve and he stumbled forward through the clouds of condensation forming from his breath. Forcing his violently shaking arm to leave his side and reach for the emergency short control.
    The hatch swung open and, preceded by a billowing cloud of vapour, Raziel burst out of the freezing room. He collapsed in a trembling heap on the floor, one of the queens moving to slow his fall.
    “Tell  . . . Kami . . . now,” he stuttered. Without acknowledgement she left his side and strode to the cockpit.

Ignoring Kami and walking to the side of Corrie the queen leant her masked face close to Corrie's ear. Kami didnt hear a sound, but assumed something had been communicated as a moment later corrie spoke up.
    “He says try now,” Kami flicked one of the few physical switches in the entire cockpit and waited. She turned to see one of the queens throwing a blanket over Raziel's prone form in the living chamber. A moment later one of the touch sensitive consoles came to life. For a moment a single flashing dot appeared in the top left corner.
    “Oh shit that cant be good,” she swore, turning to find Raziel trying his best to get back to his feet. With some relief she turned back to find scrolls of text flowing down the screen.
    “It's just booting up,” Raziel managed to stammer as he shuffled to his seat, still wrapped in a blanket, his lips blue. Kami shot him an enquiring glance. “Control bank  . . . kept cold” he managed. After a moment the boot sequence was replaced with a security page. Raziel tapped something into the console and suddenly the control systems came to life. Light blossomed out from the centre console as other touch screens came to life, most contained status reports for various systems. A lot were flashing red.
    “Doesn't look good,” said Kami. She noticed the words 'Main Engines Off-line' flashing on one and 'Back up power only' on another. Raziel tapped some instructions into the console in front of him and the information was condensed into a single readout.
    “We've got manoeuvring thrusters only . . .  no wait repulsors are responding! Lets have a look outside” a holo display activated clearly showing a single vessel still tracking them.
    “Can we land?” Kami asked.
    “Its checking the numbers now,” The planet slid out of view as the ship lifted its nose ninety degrees and a low whine indicated that the repulsors had come on-line; desperately pushing back against the planets gravitational pull. “Oh” he sighed.
    “Not good?”
    “It's plotted the best course to put us within the base's atmospheric shields, I'm afraid there just isn't enough power available to land properly. We're not going to get smashed to bits, but there's a thirty percent chance we'll burn up as we hit the atmospheric shields.”
    “Land outside them?”
    “I only have one spacesuit. The chance of a hull breach on impact is much higher.”
    “So be it.” Corrie sighed.
    “What can I do?” Kami asked as Raziel sent the landing course to her console with a swipe.
    “Nothing, sit back and hope. The computers will make any necessary course correction, I'm a piss poor pilot as it is and the system can make corrections much faster than we can.”
    “Sit tight it is.” she replied. Her fingers tightened on the arms of the chair as she came to terms with the concept of sitting still and hoping. Seventy percent she thought, I've had worse . . . As the inertial dampeners power was diverted to repulsors she felt her stomach lurch as they were hit by the full force of their deceleration.

Raziel typed a few more commands into the console and then sat back into his chair, strapping himself down. All but two of the consoles powered down, the one in front of Raziel and a central one that displayed a single number: there descent velocity.
    “When that goes green we've reached a safe velocity. Corrie, I'm sorry but the Queens will have to tie themselves down with whatever they can find.” Raziel instructed. The number was dropping rapidly, but a long way from the target. For the next minute they sat in silence, in the vacuum of space their wild descent was relatively uneventful.
    “Approaching atmospheric shields,” Raziel managed to speak through gritted teeth, under these forces barely holding onto conciousness. The number was still red.
    “Shi . . .” Kami started, she was cut off as they hit the shield and the atmosphere it contained. The velocity readout had flashed green just a moment before they hit, but as the ship started to move through the thick atmosphere it lost stability. The ship twisted and turned and then began a wild tumble. As Raziel lost conciousness he noted the velocity read out flashing red .

“In His name we are strong”
    Raziel managed to lift his eye lids as his senses were assaulted by a variety of alarms going off.
    “The daemons shall not hinder us”

Every inch of his body was racked with pain, but his neck felt like it was in fire. Pausing for a moment until the world came back into focus he reached for the button and released the straps that had cut into one area of exposed flesh holding him in place. Looking around he found Kami still out and strapped down, but Corrie was already up and attempted to use the controls to the door to the cockpit.
    “Oh you're up,” she said without turning. “How do I get the door open?” she asked.
    “The emergency control should be operable in a moment, I imagine the ship sealed all bulkheads to try and increase structural integrity.”
    “My Queens are in there. They could be dead.” For the first time Raziel heard emotion creep into the tone of her voice. The slightest waver in the pitch that Raziel keen senses picked up as the first sign of doubt one of the Queens had displayed.
    “In His name our reach is long”
    “What was that?” Raziel asked. As he leant forward to check Kami's condition there was a clunk as well.
    “Don't know, sounds like someone outside”
    “Kami, Kami, are you with us,” he said, giving her a gentle shake.
    “Fuck. I wish I wasn't,” she replied.
    “His gaze watches all,” came the voice from outside again and another clunk.
    “What the fuck is that?” Kami asked, releasing herself from her own seat.
    “Lets find out.” Raziel said. With a few button presses he released the cockpit's canopy, which slid forward and down leaving the trio in the open air. Raziel scrambled out onto the hull of the ship.
    He barely caught a glimpse of the approaching man, a glint of light as the mace swung his way and then his world was a blur as he tumbled from the hull of his ship.

A moment later he regained his senses and pulled himself upright on the dusty ground.
    “In His name we cannot fail Our enemies will be swept aside In His name all shall bow The unbelievers shall be redeemed with fire In His name our actions are just His will be done In His name we shall succeed His will be done” Raziel turned to see a monstrous man standing tall on the deck of his ship. In each hand he held Corrie and Kami by the neck, both squirming as he held them clear of the ground. His expression blank as he recited some religious mantra faster and faster. Then he stopped. He turned to regard Raziel, his expression still glazed, spittle covering his lips.
    “Found you deamon!”

OOC:
TBC later, nearly done!

[This message has been edited by Raziel (edited October 13, 2010 9:41:44 AM)]
[This message has been edited by Raziel (edited October 14, 2010 9:33:37 AM)]
Raziel
ComNet Expert

Raziel

[VE-ARMY] Major
[VE-ICS] Privateer

Post Number:  1505
October 14, 2010 11:07:26 AM    View the profile of Raziel 

Inquisitor Sverig The Pious returned to his chanting, hundreds of pounds of gnarled muscle covered with ancient armour and powered by rage. As his ship had traced Raziel's course to the surface he had chanted his mantra continuously, falling into a battle trance where the Lord could use his vessel as a physical manifestation of His will. Failure was no option for an Inquisitor of his standing, he had tracked the infiltrator across half the galaxy and justice would now be served. It pleased the last functioning part of his concious mind that the mystery had been unravelled. His quarry had been working for the damned pirates all along. He would send all their souls to be judged by the Lord.

Raziel tried to centre himself, knowing full well Kami and Corrie were being choked to death by some kind of giant fanatic that had apparently been following him. He was also painfully aware of just how disorientated he still was from the crash landing and being side swiped by what appeared to be a mace.
    Pulling the only blaster he had on his person from its holster he took one careful shot at the Inquisitor. Whilst his aim was true, the blast only managed to burn a hole in the paladin's white robes, barely affecting the armour beneath. Steadying his aim with the other hand he lined up his enemy's face. The chanting fanatic still had some of his wits about him as he simply hefted Kami between Raziel and himself.

As Raziel rushed forward and started to climb back onto the hull of his ship Kami made her own move. Swinging both legs up she wrapped one about the Inquisitors arm and, pulling back the other foot, slammed the heel of her boot into his temple three times. Blood spilled from a nasty gash on his head, but he showed no other outward signs of being affected.
    Raziel reached the deck as Kami managed to reach her blaster pistol. In a great feat of strength and speed the paladin threw the woman at Raziel. Not managing to get out of the way both went tumbling back to the ground. He slammed Corrie down into the deck and jumped after them.
    Kami raised her head, trying to shake away the fog that clouded her vision. Exposure to dangerous g forces, as well as nearly a minute of asphyxiation were taking their toll. Heavy plated boots thudded down into the ground before her eyes, crushing her blaster. She rolled away as the Inquisitor aimed a kick at her body.
    Advancing on her, with mace in hand, Sverig went to crush the unbeliever with steel. Kami rolled again as he brought the mace crashing to the ground, as he raised it again Raziel bundled into him from the side. Stumbling from the impact, but not deterred, he threw the much lighter man from him with one hand and swung at him with the other. The balled head passing perilously close in front of his face.

Raziel took a few quick steps back and withdrew a slender stiletto from his jacket, facing off against the Paladin. Kami slowly brought herself back to her feet and revealed a pair of wicked kuati daggers. Sverig the pious smirked as he continued his monotonous chant, hefting the mace easily with one hand.
    “Careful, I hit him square in the face several times and he didn't flinch,” Kami warned. Raziel spat blood from his mouth before replying.
    “He's worked himself up into some kind of trance and he's fast for such a monster,” Magnus paid no heed to the words of unbelievers, letting the fervour of his Lord guide him, he charged.

Raziel did all he could to avoid the deadly mace, back peddling rapidly and rolling when necessary. Defensive manoeuvring was all he had time for as the deceptively fast bulk of the Inquisitor followed him, swinging wildly. Kami moved to a good position and slashed furiously at his arm, blades glancing harmlessly off thick armour. Ducking under a swinging arm she launched herself at the paladin's exposed head, but not fast enough.
    Whilst his trance didn't really connect him to any omnipresent deity, it did leave the the warrior fighting on instinct alone. Bypassing his concious self his body reacted with near superhuman speed. Whilst Kami was too close in to fully strike with the mace he caught her mid jump with the pummel.
    There was a crack as it connected with Kami's ribs and she crumpled to the ground, losing her grip on one of the blades. Magnus raised the mace to finish her off.

Raziel was under his arms in a flash, stabbing the vulnerable area with the stiletto. Blood flowed freely from the wound as his stiletto sunk deep into the flesh of his armpit. The mace fell from his hands, but landed heavily on Kami. With a roar he turned on his assailant. Not quick enough Raziel was caught my a huge hand, locked in his grip he was set about by the paladin. Blow after powerful blow rained down on his head and neck, his vision blurred by the blood running from split eyebrows.
    All of a sudden the attack stopped and he was released, his legs lacked the strength to hold him and he collapsed. Still prone on the ground Kami shot him a blood filled grin from behind the paladin, dagger lodged firmly in the Inquisitor's calf. He would have turned on Kami then, and likely crushed her beneath his boots had Corrie not intervened.
    All but forgotten by the pair Corrie launched herself gracefully from Raziel's ship, landing on Magnus' shoulders. She smashed her punching dagger into the Inquisitions head and face repeatedly as he staggered about, trying to dislodge the woman. His hands groped for her. even undeterred as with one solid blow she put out one of his eyes.
    The advantage was lost as the mutilated zealot managed to dislodge her with a wild shake. Once again moving with unbelievable speed he caught a hold of her with both hands. With a sickening crunch her slammed her face first into the hull of Raziel's grounded ship. Two pieces of mask fell to the ground, immediately followed by their owner.

With his body protesting every movement Raziel took the only course of action he saw available to him. The Inquisitor distracted he scrambled up the prow of his ship heading for the weapons in his cockpit. Magnus gave chase, launching all of his bulk up the prow as if all his muscle and armour was weightless. Raziel had nearly reached a blaster next to his chair when Magnus the Pious caught him. With one swipe he sent the assassin flying into the hatch that led to the living quarters.
    “This is where it ends,” the Inquisitor proclaimed. “If you wish to pray to the Lord I will give you a moment. If you beg forgiveness he may be lenient when you are judged.” With the paladin blocking his escape Raziel almost gave up hope. But then the small light next to the door release went green. Moving for the release he hoped the Queens had somehow survived the fall.
    The door of the cockpit slid open to reveal twelve sets of emotionless eyes, framed within Iridescent masks of colour.
    “More of you? Come then, be judged!” Magnus shouted out his last words with defiance as the freed queens advanced on him.

It still took two minutes to bring an end to Inquisitor Magnus the Pious. Finally given the opportunity to find out if his God really did exist as his body twitched one last time.

Kami
ComNet Sultan

Kami

[VE-ARMY] 2nd Lieutenant
[VE-ICS] Pirate Lord

Post Number:  1555
October 14, 2010 8:53:23 PM    View the profile of Kami 
Kami limped from the ramp of the Zephyr with one hand curled protectively about her heavily bandaged chest. Her crew spread out behind her with their weapons loosely at ready as she stepped gingerly from the ramp onto blood-sodden soil. Before her lay the remnants of the battle, the dead intermingled with the bodies of the dying, some crying out weakly and snatching at her combat boots as she swept past, begging either for help or a swift death to end their suffering.  She paid them little heed, her gaze firmly set on the hangar and the group of imposing figures waiting for her a few hundred meters away.

“Lost more than a few,” Vasili remarked in a casual fashion as he sidestepped a pile of Osk dead, “Those batteries did their work well.”

“Quiet.”

Kami’s voice was empty of any and all emotion. She was physically drained from the events of the last few hours and hurting from the significant array of injuries littered across her body. But her wounds were not the main source of her weakness. No. It was her pride that had been dealt the mortal blow. She had let herself believe momentarily that the Osk Company’s legendary streak of luck would continue with her at the helm and had almost destroyed everything she had come to care about in the process. If anyone was to blame for the extensive death toll inflicted on the Osker’s it was her. The intel for the mission had been skewed to the extent that the odds were piled impossibly high against the Company from the conception of the attack. It was only through the collective efforts of the other Senior Captains and a select few Osk members that they had managed to turn the escalating situation to their advantage and survive.

“Kams, bout time you got here.” Tanus stood forward from the ranks of the Grave Robbers as she approached the heavily disfigured vault door at the rear of hangar. His dark gaze swept over the crimson stained bandages covering her chest, the dried blood streaked up her arms, and the severe bruising on the pale flesh of her throat before settling on her battered face, “Geezus.”

“Apoligies.” Kami swept her tired eyes to the other Captain’s, “You’ve done well.”

Tanus seemed to accept the lack of elaboration about her injuries in due stride.  He moved his hammer to one heavily armored shoulder and flashed a brief smile in her direction, “You’re always so damn politically correct. I’m just glad you’re here.”

“How did you get that open?” Deznim interjected, cocking his head to one side as he examined the remnants of the door and the surrounding walls.

“Well…we tried tact but the blasted thing wouldn’t budge.  There’s patient, then there’s dead. So we utilized the Victory’s guns.” Tanus gestured towards the interior of the vault, “The loot happens to be behind a secondary door so we didn’t vaporize it, which is grand. Shall we go?”

Kami nodded and turned to the others at her back, “Stay here.”

“What?” Hond stood forward, his mouth twisting into a snarl, “We don’t even get to see the bloody loot?!”

“All that matters is that you get paid…right?” Kami set her jaw as she spun as to address him, the strength of her anger at herself and the entire debacle of a mission bubbling to the surface, “So how about you shut the hell up and do what I say.”

Hond regarded her momentarily, matching her in a brief struggle of wills, before taking a step back and spitting angrily on a shattered corpse sprawled at his feet, “Fine.”

Kami forced her jaw to unlock and declined her head at Tanus, “Lead the way.”

The Senior Captain nodded and started into the vault, his men parting to make way as Kami slowly followed on his heels. As they moved beyond the damaged blast door she became aware of the spot fires littered about the corridors branching off from the main room.

“Security access from the barracks.” Tanus grunted as he noticed her interest, “We burnt them out as they responded to the alarms.”

A memory of Garryll wielding a flamethrower flashed abruptly into Kami’s mind as she considered the methods by which the Grave Robbers had dealt with the remnants of resistance. Repressing the shudder that threatened to travel up the length of her spine, she instead ducked her head to follow Tanus under a collapsed beam before a secondary security door.

“This one was easier to get through,” Tanus gestured at a group of technicians lounging about smoking nearby, “Lucky for us that a significant portion of the best slicers in the galaxy enjoy partaking in illegal activities as opposed to serving in the military.” He looked back at her with a strange expression on his face, “Fair warning: be prepared to be underwhelmed.”

Kami opened her mouth to query the abrupt shift in behavior only to snap it shut seconds later as she found herself within the heart of the vault. The room was immense, its smooth metallic walls curving out to encompass an area big enough to house the Zephyr five times over. Racks to store merchandise littered both sides of the space, their frames stretching up to brush the very ceiling. But it was empty. Completely bare of any product, credit, or indeed anything that could be considered worthy of the time and effort put in by the Company to reach this very place. Her voice caught twice in her throat before she could even manage to bring herself to speak the damning words aloud, “There’s…nothing here.”

“That’s not entirely true.” Tanus turned back about and walked to the wall just inside the doorway, stooping to pick up the small silver briefcase resting there, “There was this.”

Kami arched an eyebrow at the entirely unimpressive case, “Ah…forgive me if I don’t jump for joy.”

“I know right?” Tanus came to a halt directly before her, “But I didn’t open it. I wanted to wait for you.”

Reaching out, Kami ran her slim fingers over the smooth face of the case until her nails hooked on the lock near the latch, “What if it’s empty as well?”

Tanus shrugged his broad shoulders, “Then you get to tell Jeg.”

Kami grimaced at her companion and then flicked the lock back, lifting the featherlight lid to examine the interior of the case. For the second time in minutes she felt her jaw drop as she struggled to process what she was seeing, “Tanus. Please tell me I haven’t imagined this.”

The grizzled Captain of the Iron Victory looked equally as shocked, “Shut it. Quickly.”

Kami complied, snapping the lid back into place with an audible click that echoed about the immense space. Without waiting for Tanus to speak again she grabbed at the security cuff dangling from one end of the case and closed the cold metal about the breadth of her wrist, effectively locking the briefcase to her person.

“We don’t have a key for that.” Tanus murmured softly as he watched her.

“So cut if off me when we get back to the Locker.” Kami answered him, her thoughts running rampant as she considered the implications of their find. Pulling a deep breath to steady herself she raised her spare hand and swept it throughout her long hair, “Let’s get the hell out of here.”

“Couldn’t agree more.” 

Tanus visibly straightened and brought his hammer down from his shoulder in a fluid, purposeful movement. Without a word he moved closer to Kami, close enough that his shoulder brushed hers as the duo moved out from the completely threadbare vault without bothering to look back. All thoughts of self damnation vanished completely from Kami’s mind as the pair swept back towards the relative security offered by the rest of the Company. Almost self-consciously, her hand tightened about the handle of the briefcase until her knuckles turned white with the strain.

“So?” Vasili called out from where he was squatting atop a particularly large chunk of duracrete with another cigarette between his lips, “Are we rich?”

“Back to the ship.” Kami bit out as she stormed past him at a half-limp, “Now.”

“What?”

Vasili’s confused query was echoed by the other Osk members standing nearby, the murmuring voices carrying back into the far ranks now beginning to drift in from other ships landing in the hangar.  Tanus moved away from Kami’s shoulder and turned to face the protesting crowd as Kami continued on towards the Zephyr, her pace picking up instead of slowing down.

“Where in the hell is she going?” One of the pirates demanded, his shout echoing after her, “Where’s our payment?!”

“Back on your ships!” Tanus roared at them with a fierceness borne of years of dealing with men used to intimidation, “Now! Move you bastards! Before I make you move!”

The order of the Senior Captain was taken up by the Grave Robbers, who slung rifles over shoulders and waded into the mass of their comrades to begin to forcefully direct them away from the still smoking blast door and Kami. Bitter grumblings became violent exclamations as Osk members were denied their chance to bask in the spoils of their victory.

The pounding of boots against the metallic floor of the hangar alerted Kami to the presence of her chasing crew.

“Kami!” Deznim appeared at her shoulder, his curious gaze darting from her implacable expression to the case in her hand, “What in the hell is going on?”

“No more questions.” Kami snapped back at him as the continued towards the Z’s ramp, briefly meeting the eyes of her crew one by one as she did so, “Alright? Not here.”

“Alright.” Vasili adopted a sidewards jog so he could address her as he sought to keep up, “No more questions as you have commanded. Save one. Can you at least tell us where we’re going?”

“Home.” Kami answered him without hesitation, “We’re going home.”
|| Retired ||
------------------------

------------------------

ComNet > The Osk Company > Archived Tall Tales > Dead Men Tell No Lies (The Osk Company)  |  New Posts    
  Pages:  [ 1 2 ]   

All times are CST. The time now is 2:13:58 PM
Comnet Jump:

Current Online Members - 0  |  Guests - 145  |  Bots - 1

< Contact Us - The Vast Empire >