Communications Network
Vast Empire  -  New Posts  -  Search  -  Statistics  -  Login 

ComNet > The Osk Company > Archived Tall Tales > You Must Be Quick To Best The Devil (Abraxas)

Pages:  [ 1 2 ]   
Author
Topic:  You Must Be Quick To Best The Devil (Abraxas)
Kami
ComNet Marshal

Kami

[VE-ARMY] 2nd Lieutenant
[VE-DJO] Dark Jedi Knight
[VE-ICS] Pirate Overseer

Post Number:  1473
Total Posts:  1884
  RE: You Must Be Quick To Best The Devil (Abraxas)
May 17, 2010 9:35:24 AM    View the profile of Kami 
The ragtag group of pirates that had volunteered for the somewhat suicidal charge at the Locker trudged stoically ahead, their eyes fixed on the horizon where their home awaited them. For some of the members of the ranks the Locker was a resting place, a home away from home where they could let their hair down (quite literally) and allow the darker side of their personalities to shine. For others it was a virtual playpen, a hive of prostitution and gambling in which they could lose themselves in their vices and throw away the pressures and expectations of the rest of society. For a select few it was the only place in the galaxy where they felt at peace. A safe haven in which the past and future played no part.

Kami was one of the Osk members who fell in the latter category, and as the shadow of the ranges before the Locker grew more focused before her she felt an invisible fist clench its icy fingers about her contours of her heart.  Over the last year the Locker had become her home in a way that Kuat and Tadath never had. Here she had discovered a deep kinship with others who had accepted her at face value. These pirates, the so called scum of society, had accepted and embraced the aspects of her personality that those in ‘civilized’ populations would have judged as monstrous. They did not question her actions if she allowed the rage seething below the surface of her skin to boil over, nor seek to draw her out if she chose to battle her demons in the bottom of a bottle. They let her fight her own battles until she asked for help, and only then did they fight like the possessed madmen they were to aid her.

Kami flicked her gaze to Snipes, who bounded energetically ahead just behind Jager. The Pirate King had ceased drinking for the time being and had settled for whistling a sea shanty ahead. Whilst he had managed to find the correct tune and pitch, he had obviously forgotten the entirety of the song and as such had satisfied himself by simply repeating the same verse over and over for the last ten minutes. A few of the pirates about Kami were exchanging glances and grinding their teeth in annoyance, but none dared to speak their grievances aloud.  The King was the King for a reason, and none were keen to test him whilst he had his particularly large and shining new gun on hand.

“Someone’s coming.”

Jegora noticed the figure in the distance first, and the small group came to a halt, their hands clutching at blades and rifles. Kami walked up to Jegora’s side, squinting slightly as she struggled to distinguish the features of the lone shadow coming up to their rear.

“Who is it?” Snipes stopped whistling and spun about, clearly impatient to be on the way.

Jegora stiffened abruptly at Kami’s side as the figure came even closer, the most drastic reaction the impassive warrior had made since he had landed in the Osk camp.  Kami examined the man’s face with a calm curiosity, watching the set of his jaw as he struggled to control some hidden vestige of emotion that threatened to show itself. Finally he worked his mouth and seemed to find his voice, “It’s Aeos.”

“Oh, well.” Snipes sighed and reluctantly removed his finger from the trigger of his new toy, “She can catch up then.”

The Pirate King turned and continued towards the Locker, the rest of the group trudging in his wake to leave only Kami and Jegora standing behind. Kami tore her gaze from Jegora as Aeos finally reached them. The young woman pulled a deep swing from a water flask at her hip before raising both hands to unwrap the protective gauze from about her face. She too stiffened as she perceived the man at Kami’s side, her blue eyes widening as they tracked the length of his form. Feeling somewhat as though she was an unwelcome party to a private display, Kami interjected before either of the two could speak, addressing Aeos directly,

“Are you alright?”

Aeos seemed to physically jolt in response to the question, as though returning to reality, “Yes...I’m fine.”

“You had me worried,” Kami continued, her bluntness a poor disguise for her evident concern, “I sent out scouts to look for you.”

“I just needed some time to think,” Aeos offered her a small, tired smile, “I’m sorry I just ran off.”

“No,” Kami stood forward and rested a hand on her friends arm, “I’m sorry Ae.”

The two women regarded each other for a moment, before Aeos nodded, the movement barely discernible. Without saying another word Kami turned and jogged after Snipes and the others, leaving the two to discuss whatever it was that they needed too. It was not the most eloquent of apologies, but it had been accepted at the very least. There would be plenty of time to sit down and talk it over once the Locker had been retaken and the Paladins cast down. For now, it would have to suffice.

“This is the place.”

Kami caught up to the others just as Jager halted, pointing to a small fissure in the ground a few dozen meters away. It was a strange natural feature, out of place in an otherwise relatively flat landscape. Kami immediately felt her nerves go on edge as Jager continued in a raspy voice, “It leads downwards, then straightens out and links up with a series of underground caverns. Most of the caverns are dead ends, but there’s a tunnel that leads into the grotto’s beneath the Locker. I found it purely by accident, but I should be able to find it again with little hassle.”

“Good!” Snipes grinned at their tattered guide, “Lead on!”

Kami hesitated, then strode up to the fore of the group until she stood a few paces behind Jager and in close reach of Snipes if need be. The Pirate King may have trusted the vagrant styled soldier who was now leading them blindly into the dark, but that did not mean that she had too. There was something about the man, a dangerous edge that had immediately set her on guard. It was not unlike the violent air that surrounded the other murderers in her midst, but the subtly of the man’s movements set him apart from the less menacing members of their group. He was not a lackey. He was a killer, through and through.

The mumblings of the pirates ceased as Jager lead them into the fissure and down a steep descent into the pitch black below. Kami felt the top of her head brush rock, and heard Jegora swear somewhere behind her as the tall man slammed his head into the unforgiving roof. Feeling a little bit more secure with Aeos at her back, Kami focused on the grey outline of Snipes before her,  mentally determining not to lose sight of him for even the barest of moments. If these caverns were as large as Jager had described them it would be a horrible fate for her to lose her way and wander blind until she met her end. 

“Stay close,” Kami hissed at the pirates behind her, feeling them bunch closer in reply. Abruptly overwhelmed by the smell of the unwashed bodies, liquor, and the damp stench of earth, she pulled a deep breath in through her mouth and followed Jager deeper into the core of Osk 91.
|| Retired ||
[LoR][CoR][IG][GCA][BC][BM][CDS][EW][ES][GRP][GS]
------------------------
|| Dark Jedi Knight || Krath Order ||
CM/DJK Kami Sharpe/Lion 1-3/Krath/Dark Jedi Order/Vast Empire

------------------------
Imperial Network Star Wars Image
-=Surrender to your darkest dreams, and you'll live as you've never lived before=-
[This message has been edited by Kami (edited May 17, 2010 9:41:30 AM)]
Tanus Solvona
ComNet Member

Tanus Solvona

[VE-ARMY] Platoon Sergeant
[VE-ICS] Pirivateer Captain

Post Number:  702
Total Posts:  744
May 20, 2010 6:17:43 PM    View the profile of Tanus Solvona 
The smell of the earth was comforting to him. It took him to days long past where he could sit with the sun on his face for hours, just drinking it in as the smell of wheat and farm air took him off to a faraway place, free of strife and turmoil. He came out of the reverie, shaking his head free of nostalgia. No one said anything as they delved deeper into the earthwork passages of Osk. Tanus could make out the shadows of the people ahead of him; he was surprised that Jeg had only managed to hit his head once as they stepped over the uneven terrain. The silence of Osk Company was something new to Tanus; he was very much used to screaming and raving as they commenced with the slaughter. All of a sudden, the line of pirates stopped.

“What’s wrong?” Kami hissed from the shadows.

Jager seemed to look around, not really hearing what was said behind him. Tanus only sighed; he knew it was only a matter of time until they eventually got lost. Kami reached over Jeg’s massive shoulders and poked Jager in the shoulder.

“What, damnit?”

“What’s wrong? Why’d you stop?”

“Well, I always did get confused here…”

A collective sigh went up from the column as they hunched down in the earthen corridor. Tanus felt a drop of water hit his forehead and run down his face. He wiped it away with the back of his gloved hand. The tension was palpable as Jager assessed his surroundings. Snipes only chuckled in the darkness.

“Come now, my friends. What is life without a little risk? I have full trust in Jager’s abilities.”

Tanus only just stared at what he assumed to be the silhouette of the man he had grown to know as the “Mad King.”

“I really hope you’re kidding or drunk, Snipes,” Tanus said in a low whisper; the crew started to chuckle. All except Jager, who spat in derision. Tanus saw the flash of a flask as it hit Snipes’ lips. He took a long draw then placed it back under his coat.

“Eh, a little of column A, little of column B.”

“Fair enough.”

Without a word, Jager pressed on, leading them down a left passage. The smell of deep earth works gave way to a smell more akin to either decay or sewage; Tanus suspected it was a little of both. A blast of cold air hit him square in the face as they drove onward. It was both refreshing and slightly irritating at the same time. It left a nasty taste at the back of Tanus’ throat. They must be close to The Locker; he could taste bad decisions and life choices. Abs quipped up behind Tanus.

“Jager, how much longer do these tunnels go?”

Jager grunted in response as he ducked under a low hanging stone. As they proceeded further down the tunnels, Tanus the distinct hum of water running close by. Kami swore under her breath as she heard the noise too.

“Damnit it all. Do these empty out into the sewers?”

Jager shrugged as he continued on in his guiding. His frame blocked much of what was ahead of him.

“Yes and no. They’re more access ways than they are sewers, although it smells about as awful as sewer. A lot of the ones that survived ran down here and then made more passages for themselves.”

“Well, how much further do we have?”

“Not much longer. When the smell hits you hardest, that’s when you know. And from his distance, I’d say we’re another 500 meters out.”

“So how the hell do we find these so called survivors?” Jeg asked as he crouched down even lower to avoid smacking his head a second time.

“Well, here’s the thing… You don’t find them so much as they find you.”

Tanus grimaced a bit. He had seen what going stir crazy had done to soldiers and civilians alike. That, coupled with the thoughts of those undead buggers a few months back made him a little more than anxious. He pulled the Samurai Edge a little tighter into his chest.

“That sounds… more than unpleasant,” Bastard as he pulled his large brimmed hat down a little further over his eyes.

“Yeah… it can be. It should be fair to warn you that they try to bite. So keep all appendages close.”

Tanus looked down at his weapons just to be sure he had brought enough with him. The Rebel-1 Disruptor sat at his right hip, the war hammer slung over his shoulder. In a chest holster he had his Samurai Edge with a silencer and his M5 blaster rifle. Normally, he’d consider this under armed; he hated working from the shadows. They advanced further still into the shadows, the smell getting worse with each step. It was not much longer before Tanus began to see some light edge itself around Jager’s silhouette. Thank the Maker. It’s about damn time we got out of here. As they neared the end of the tunnel, it began to widen out slightly as a dim, blueish light illuminated the dark of the tunnel. As they came to the end, Jager held his hand up for the others to stop. Tanus froze. He heard them too: Voices. A pair of what sounded like refined voices echoed off the large stone walls of service tunnels; the sound of steel crunching down on the stone echoed in Tanus’ mind. They brought back memories… dark memories bathed in fire and blood. Blood lust filled him as he clenched his hands into fists, forcing himself to remain still. As they neared, he heard their conversation better.

“…The High Inquisitor is aware that the pirates have made their return? Why does he insist on sending patrols down here? Less return than are sent as it is.”

“You know not to question the High Inquisitor. Besides, it’s not as if the Pirates can actually break our ground hold. We control the surface, and it is only a matter of time until their space forces are broken with reinforcements.”

“Even still. These pirates are resourceful. If they’ve found a way to survive this long, then they will find a way to come back – like vermin.”

“And when they do, we will deal with them like we have the others. The High Inquisitor would very much like some new trophies.”

The two passed onwards, trading words as they continued their patrol. When their voices and footsteps faded, Jager dropped out of the hole in the wall, landing on his feet without making a sound. Each of them stepped forward and dropped down silently. Tanus peered out as he dropped down below; it was a lot further off the ground than he thought. As the others came in to join them, Kami, Jager and Snipes gathered at the center of the group. Snipes took in a deep breath and smiled.

“Ah. The Locker. How I’ve missed you. The sweet stench of decay, despair and drunken debauchery.”

“You know they couldn’t keep you away, Snipes,” Bastard said from the back.

“What do we do now? Any idea when the Survivors are coming?” Kami asked.

Jager shrugged nonchalantly as he started to look around. The halls were derelict with the exception of them, and nothing else was making a sound. Tanus took a long draw from his flash as he drew his Samurai Edge and attached the silencer to it. The occasional drip of water permeated the silence of the hall and the hum of the lights gave the whole environment a very eerie feel.

“There is no real plan. If we’re going to be found by these survivors, we need to start moving, although if they already knew we were here it wouldn’t surprise me. We just need to wait for them. But I still say we should get moving.”

“I fully agree,” Snipes said with his typical flourish. “Come! In a that way direction!”

Tanus only sighed as he fell in toe behind the Mad King. His swagger showed confidence and relaxation; Tanus couldn’t imagine a better place for Snipes. He was now at the eye of a storm – a chaotic storm whose sole purpose it was to wash away the stain the Crusaders had left upon their world. With one quick shift, Tanus knew that Snipes would crush them in a wave of violence and death. Tanus quieted the adrenaline rushing through his veins; soon, he would have his time for vengeance. Soon, he would make the Crusaders fear the dark.
PC/PSG Tanus Solvona/Tadath/VEA [EW1][ES1][LM][BC][CoR][LoS][SRP][CDS][SCA][FCE][VUA-ARC-Lambda][AS-2][ESC09][AoT][IH]

~Blackjack Pride - 2009 ESC Champions~

CA/PRVC Tanus Solvona/YZ-775 (m) Iron Victory/The Osk Company/ICS/VE

"The warrior does not question, does not ponder, does not pontificate. The warrior simply does."

"Only priests and fools are fearless, and I have never been on the best of terms with God."

Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken - House Martell words, A Song of Ice and Fire
ActionBastard
ComNet n00b

ActionBastard

[VE-ARMY] Private
[VE-ICS] Pirate Swabbie

Post Number:  7
Total Posts:  16
May 24, 2010 5:37:44 AM    View the profile of ActionBastard 
Helo was uneasy ever since they had entered the tunnels. The dark reminded him of space...and how lonely it was to be adrift without hope of a rescue. He tried to keep his mind off the memory, reassuring himself with every step that he was alive and well. Occasionally his feather would brush against the face of the man behind him, causing him to curse ever quietly and bringing a slight smile to Helo's face. 

Snipe's had been leading them for quite some time down the now lighted tunnels, taking them through numerous twists and turns until they finally came to a juncture splitting off into two directions. The air was thick with the smell of something rotten, However, it was the wall between the junction that clearly had snipes' attention.

“Jager....what do you make of this?” he asked, gesturing to the wall. Behind him Helo, Jager, and the others came up, all eyes taking in the crimson symbol that adorned the wall.

“What does it mean?” whispered Tanus.  “Its not any language I'm familiar with.”

“That's because it doesn't really exist.”

Snipes turned to Jager with one eyebrow raised in curiosity. “Meaning?”

“Meaning these...people, have been down here for quite some time. It's their way of marking their territory.”  He stopped briefly. “I suggest we rest here before we continue on, send some scouts down each passage.”

Snipes nodded in agreement.  “Aye!” he said with a wave of his hand. “You heard the man.”

All around them, members of the Osk company dropped their packs, guzzled greedily from canteens, and slumped against the walls, taking full advantage of the reprieve their king had granted them, save the four that departed down the tunnels. Snipes himself drew closer to the wall, grey eyes studying closely the unfamiliar runes. 

“Well I admire their taste,” said Snipe's as he lit a cigarette. “They certainly share my flair for the dramatic.”

Helo stepped toward the wall inspected the rune. “It's blood isn't it?”

“Indeed,” said Snipes, smoke bellowing out of his nostrils. “And I dare say the donor wasn't a willing candidate. Which also suggests that this here is the blood of one of the many self-righteous fools that now occupy my kingdom.”  He turned briskly back to Helo who still studied the rune. “What say you Bastard?”

Helo shuddered. “Its somewhat unsettling...”

“That's just the beauty of it,” stated Tanus as he propped his hammer up against the wall. “Fear is an excellent ally.”

“This is true,” said snipes, dropping his cigarette and lighting another. “But these people have outdone me, and THAT, my friends just won't do. When I drive these bastards out of the Locker I want symbols like these adorning everything, doors, pillars, The Hound...”

“Oh we get it,” interrupted Helo. “I'm sure you'll be the only King with “And really bad eggs...” written in blood over your throne....so rest easy.” The others around them chuckled, even Snipes cracked a smile. Behind them, the two scouts from the tunnel on the left came running up, their faces grim.

“anything to report?” demanded Snipes.

“Yes Lord,” replied one with a curt nod. “We found that stench....You had better see this...”

The party of oskers could only stare in silence in the sight that lay before them, most covering their mouths and noses with whatever they had against the smell of death. Before them was an opening where the tunnel had partially collapsed, revealing a massive open pit filled with the corpses of hundreds of people, men, women, and children of many different races. Many bore wounds from bladed weapons, others showed signs of unspeakable torture. No one spoke, not even Snipes who was filled with a silent rage. Finally Tanus spoke behind him.

“What kind of animals could do this?”

“Animals don't do things like this,” replied Helo. “We don't even do things like this...and can you think of a more law-less group?”  Tanus and several others all shook their heads silently, still unable to take their eyes off the grim sight in front of them.  Helo walked up to the edge of the pit where Snipes stood, being careful not to step on any of the limbs of the deceased.

“We can't linger here....”

“Aye,” Snipes replied silently, unlit cigarette hanging from his lip. “We will go...But we will come back...see that these folks get a proper burial.”

“I never took you for a man big on ceremonies.”

“I'm not. But these people had the courage to try to live as free folk out here on the rim, Had the audacity to attempt to live as many can only dream. And that is something I can respect.”

Helo nodded in agreement. “We will come back then...”

“Only...” hissed Snipes, “...after I have made a pyramid out of the legions of Jakith B’Luk's dead men. Only after B' Luk lies dead at my feet after begging for his life. Only then will they truly be at peace.”
He turned back towards the tunnel opening, where the majority of the oskers were waiting.

“Tanus, Jager...get them out of here. The survivors aren't going to find us here amongst the dead.”

Not a man (or woman) spoke as they left the grisly scene behind them, heading back into the catacombs beneath the locker, Snipes again in the lead with Jager closely behind. Soon the air wasn't so foul and after what seemed like hours of walking they once again came to a juncture.

“We will stop here,” suggested Jager to Snipes, who nodded and turned to Helo and Tanus. “Have them rest for a spell, drink...smoke....whatever they need to do.”

“It's getting late...perhaps we should camp here for the night,” Helo suggested. “We may have a ways to go before they find us.”

“Find us?” snickered Snipes. "My dear Bastard they have already found us. It's just a question of when they wish to show themselves.”

“Ah...hadn't thought of that.”

“I know....that's why I'm King.”
"God is not on the side of the big battalions, but on the side of those who shoot best."---Voltaire
[This message has been edited by ActionBastard (edited May 24, 2010 2:58:38 PM)]
[This message has been edited by ActionBastard (edited May 25, 2010 1:32:45 AM)]
Ron
ComNet Member

Ron

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant First Class
[VE-ICS] Pirate Swabbie

Post Number:  906
Total Posts:  1218
May 24, 2010 6:20:07 PM    View the profile of Ron 
A collective sigh rose up from the midsized group of exhausted pirates as they splashed and stumbled across the stinking puddles to rest upon the few dry patches to be found in the tunnels.  Bottles were revealed from the tender cradles of rags and cloth that prevented them from breaking, attracting the attention of others as their owners ripped the cork out from the opening with their teeth- producing a nostalgic popping noise.  Cigarras and cigarettes were clamped tight between the jaws of others, and were hidden behind hands that lit and shielded them.  It was not long before the smell of smoke and grog drowned own the stink of filth and rot- and so the rest was better than it could have been.

Beneath one of the dim lights that lit the passageway sat Ron, with his back to the mossy walls and both heels dug into the floorway of the dismal path, which made his ankles wet and toes dry.  He held in his hand a large rough sketchpad (kept onboard the Iron Victory as blueprint paper for the conceptions of repairs and onboard additions whilst voyaging in space) with which he flipped open to the midsection, where he could closer inspect the tracing he had made of the image they had seen on the wall only a few hours ago.  It was an ugly, unworldy image- but it had given Ron an idea.

After making a few hurried sketches, Ron shrugged off the knapsack that he had until now kept on his back and reached inside to feel around for a can of red marker paint, commonly used to mark where an incision of a pipe or a break in the main line should be made while onboard.  With a smug smile, Ron ripped the canister out of the bag and stood up, both feet sloshing in the mire as he took a step into the center of the aisle.  Then, turning around quickly he held the rough sketch in one hand, and in the other hand eyeballed a rough outline of what was portrayed on the paper upon the wall with a black cutting pen- about three times bigger in proportion than the drawing.  Then, holding the paper on the outside of the outline to prevent excess paint from running, he sprayed it in.  When finished, it resembled a pirate skull.

"What the hell is that?"

Ron turned around just in time to notice Tanus brushing past him to get a better look at the image.

"Looks like one of those shit symbols we saw just an hour ago." growled Jager.

"It's a Jelly fish." Ae said confidently.

Tanus reached over to touch it and retracted his hand suddenly as he felt the wet paint.  He grabbed at the papers which Ron held in his hand to wipe away the paint from his finger tips.

"Not dry yet, Cap'n." Ron chuckled.

"No shit." Tanus replied.  "So what is this?"

"Our mark." Ron replied smugly.  He had successfully captured most everyone's attention by this time, most of whom were genuinely curious rather than angry or annoyed.  Among them were Kami Sharpe and Snipes the Pirate King.

"Our mark?" Repeated Jager.

"Yeah." Ron said, almost nervously.  "You know, like our graffiti or clan sign."  Silence still.  "Well we don't have to use it..."

"It's not bad."  Snipes said suddenly.  "I like it."

"Simple enough." Kami shrugged.  "Besides, we need something to make us stand out from the competition."

"Still say it looks shitty." Jager grumbled.

People started to drift away.  Snipes pulled Ron aside to ask him about the design and to ask a few questions regarding the reproduction of the symbol, after introducing himself of course.  Ron agreed to make some copies of it, and even started to make up an outline for a flag.

After a few minutes, Snipes laughed and turned away to get another smoke and some rest.  As he walked over towards his things he said over his shoulder,

"I like your work, mate.  If you need me for anything else, let me know."

Fresh images of revenge filled Ron's mind at those words.  Revenge against the Vast Empire Army.  He manged to laugh and said, "Alright, Cap'n.  I'll let you know."  Then he turned back to his own things, lit himself a smoke and took a pull from a bottle that he kept in his knapsack.  All the time thinking to himself:

"If we ever get out of these damned tunnels."

OOC:

Osk Graffiti:
http://www.vastempire.com/wiki/images/8/8a/Osksymbol.png

DEV||SFC RON||DEVELOPMENT STAFF||VEA||VE [WM][CCA][CoR][BC][CoZ][AS-1]{CT}
PCW||PIRATE RON||IRON VICTORY||OSK COMPANY
ARC3||JERICHO||ARC TEAM THETA||VE
[This message has been edited by Ron (edited May 24, 2010 6:21:00 PM)]
Kami
ComNet Marshal

Kami

[VE-ARMY] 2nd Lieutenant
[VE-ICS] Pirate Overseer

Post Number:  1476
May 25, 2010 3:41:08 AM    View the profile of Kami 
“Kams. Sit down. You’re making me dizzy.”

Aeos’s plea went unheard as Kami span on her heels once again, storming back across the breadth of the narrow tunnel. One of her hands was clutched about the hilt of her right dagger, whilst the other was constantly running through the tussled waves of her long hair in an obvious display of agitation. She was restless. It had been a good few hours since they’d left the makeshift camp and entered the underground tunnel system, long enough for the Paladin forces to engage those they’d left behind. Whilst Kami had the utmost confidence in Fury’s capability as a commander she was unsure as to how well those Oskers in the main force would fare in open field warfare. The pirates’ strength lay in their ability to fade in and out, to hit their targets quickly and with a significant degree of stealth. The unusual tactics and strategies they normally applied were designed to catch their opponents off guard, and were effective because the majority of the time their quarry was unaware that they were even about to become victims. The Paladins however were an organized and veteran force, well used to employing tactics in the air and on the ground. And she had no way of knowing whether or not the risk they’d taken by crippling the main force to lead this assault team had been worth it. For all she knew those left behind were already dead, their blood soaking into their home soil alongside the thousands of others who had already made the ultimate sacrifice in this pointless war.

“We should be moving,” That was Tanus, watching Kami from where he was leaning up against a nearby wall. He continued, seemingly echoing Kami’s thoughts, “If we spend the night we doom our men on the surface to certain death.”

“Move where?” Jegora frowned and thumped one hand against the solid wall at his back, “We don’t even know where we are.”

“Sure we do,” Snipes wandered into their midst, “Jager knows exactly where we are, don’t you Jager?”

Jager stared back at the Pirate King in response, his expression indistinct, “I can take you into the Locker if you want, but with the men we have it will be an onslaught.”

“Suicide?” Tanus laughed, “What’s new man? I’d prefer a fiery death to sitting around and waiting for the bastards to come breathing down our necks.”

“No,” Kami span about again, hesitating only slightly before speaking in Jager’s favor, “He’s right. Our plan relies heavily on reinforcements.”

“An ill conceived strategy,” Jager continued whilst his upper lip curled in disgust, “You might as well just stumble out and wave your white flag. You won’t find anyone sane left in these godforsaken warrens.”

“Quiet.” The word emerged from Kami’s mouth as a snarl as she moved closer to their tattered guide, “I didn’t ask for your opinion. Cynicism won’t help anyone.”

Jager pulled himself up to his full height, his eyes glittering dangerously as he responded to the challenge in Kami’s manner and tone, “Last I checked I didn’t take orders from anyone. Especially you.”

“Enough!” Snipes positioned between his lieutenant and the guide and lowered his cigar as he looked between the two of them “Save your anger for our enemy.”

“Is this a private party or can anyone join?”

The pirates in the tunnel spun about in unison at the strange voice that echoed out from out of the darkness to the left of their position. Weapons were immediately pulled out and to the fore, Kami tearing her gaze off Jager and flicking her blaster into her hand in a single fluid movement. No-one moved for a few seconds, the only sound in the confined quarters that of harsh breathing and safety switches being flicked off rifles. Unable to bear the suspense Kami took a step towards the direction the voice had sounded, her gaze searching the pitch black before her in a vain attempt to pinpoint the speaker, “Who goes there?”

Silence reigned for a moment, before a shadow seemed to shift before her eyes, revealing the outline of a humanoid shape. Despite herself, Kami reared back sharply as she became aware of the gleaming pinpoints flaring into existence on either side of the shadowy figure, the flicker of eyes as they caught in the dim glow of the lights at her back. There were hundreds of them, many more than the Osk Company members that had ventured underground. They were outnumbered. Badly.

“Show yourself cowards!” Snipes moved to Kami’s shoulder, the smell of whiskey strong on his breath as he brandished his bottle before him and shook it violently, scattering precious liquid drops all over himself and the tunnel floor, “Come out into the light!”

There was a whisper of conversation, the words indistinguishable as the strangers perceived the drunken Pirate King. Finally, a trio of individuals moved into sight, their faces contorting as though the light was causing them physical pain. One was a human, another a heavily scarred Twi’lek, and to the rear of the group...a small and almost skeletal furry alien.

Kami cried out in surprise and delight, rushing forwards to gather the rearmost member of the group into her arms in an impulsive display of affection. Deznim stiffened as she hugged him, only seeming to relax as she pulled back to better perceive her old friend. He was starving, that much was immediately obvious. Although the Ryn had always been naturally wiry he was now almost comically thin, his limbs stick like and ribs visible through the tattered remnants of his vest. He regarded her curiously, his tail limply dragging through the dirt behind him before recognition flashed in his dark eyes, “Kami? Is...is that you?”

“Yes, it’s me,” Kami gripped Deznim’s bony shoulder, the despair welling up in her chest evident in her voice, “What have they done to you?”

“You really are the King.” The human leader interrupted the two’s reunion as he inched closer to Snipes, “You have finally returned.”

Snipes nodded slowly, his gaze never leaving the man before him, “Yes. I’m back.”

“Why?” The man tilted his head, the movement strangely animalistic, “Why are you here?”

“To retake our homeworld,” Snipes voice gathered strength as it was fueled by his rage at the pitiful state of his brethren before him, “To wreck bloody vengeance on those who have caused us such grievous hurt.”

A loud hissing filled the air, punctuated by growls and shrieks as the countless masses still in the shadows reacted to the Pirate Kings words. The noise built until it was almost deafening, the rage and despair of the Osk survivors bursting free of them in a wave of emotion that had been repressed since their imprisonment beneath the earth. The man standing before Snipes suddenly collapsed into the filth at his feet and lowered his head so his pock marked chin touched his chest,

“Then we are yours to command,” He uttered simply, his words barely audible over the clamor, “We are all yours to command.”

Snipes lowered his free hand until it touched the wisps of soiled hair plastered across the man’s skull. Something akin to affection flashed across his face as the rest of the survivors crept into the light, crowding about in an attempt to better view their King. It was as though they needed to reassure themselves that this was really the beginning of their redemption, and that Snipes and the others were not just an illusion created by their muddled minds. Kami stood well clear, her arm still wrapped about Deznim as Snipes welcomed his lost men.  It was times like these that she remembered how strong and influential a personality Snipes possessed. Across all the vastness of the galaxy he had pulled outcasts and misfits to him, and somehow, had turned their blackened hearts to his cause. Now he had once again taken them under his wing, and gathered enormous power as a result. The Paladins had made a terrible mistake in choosing Osk 91 as their target, and making an enemy of the Mad Pirate King.

“Good,” The racket died down as Snipes spoke again, every eye turning to him as he addressed his now bolstered force, “Gather yourselves. We go now, back to The Locker, back to our home.”
|| Retired ||
------------------------

------------------------
-=Surrender to your darkest dreams, and you'll live as you've never lived before=-
[This message has been edited by Kami (edited May 25, 2010 3:45:26 AM)]
[This message has been edited by Kami (edited May 25, 2010 8:37:24 AM)]
ActionBastard
ComNet n00b

ActionBastard

[VE-ARMY] Private
[VE-ICS] Pirate Swabbie

Post Number:  8
Total Posts:  16
May 25, 2010 4:43:17 AM    View the profile of ActionBastard 
Bastard was more than unhappy. His clothes were sopping wet, including everything he had brought along for the trip beneath the Locker: Weapons, ammo, rations, and spare clothes. Several minutes prior, the group had waded through quite possibly the most foul smelling water Helo had ever smelled. And as luck would have it the man next to him tripped, grabbing him by the arm and dragging him down as well. Almost instantly members of the party helped both men up, but not before Helo had swallowed a mouthful of the stagnant water.  All around them their companions laughed at their misfortune while Helo tried desperately to puke up what he had swallowed.

“Poor Bastard!” cackled Tanus with a big smile as he leaned on his war hammer. “Decided to go for a swim did we?”

“Frak off!” Managed Helo between coughing fits. Instantly the onlookers erupted into another bout of laughter while Snipes swaggered calmly into view.

“Well met Bastard!  But I would advise against going for a swim again.” 

Helo didn't answer...he know it was funny. No point in fighting back really. With a smile that only he could manage, Snipes turned to Tanus. “Have those two stop for a spell... let's give these buffoons a few minutes to straighten themselves out while he scout ahead. Leave a third here with them.”

Tanus nodded, and the others groaned as they followed Snipes down the narrow tunnel. Helo took his coat off and plucked his hat from the water. The once eleagant feather was now all clumped together, bits of moss and decay clinging to it.  The other wet pirate was busy trying to clear water out of his ears,then moved to drying his blaster and power cells. Helo decided to do the same, resting his word against the tunnel wall so that it was out of the way while he cleaned his pistols. Usually, he kept them stored away under his bunk on the hound, but for this little mission he decided to replace his usual sidearm with something with a little more kick. These pistols now rested comfortably in his shoulder holster harness with spare clips of ammo placed conveniently inside of his belt. Leaning against the wall he pulled the one on the left and began disassembling it, using a dirty yet dry cloth to dry the rounds and the parts of the assembly. Next to him, the older looking brigand that stayed behind sauntered up with a bottle and plopped down.

“Mighty fine looking weapons you got there,” he said in obvious interest. “I reckin' those ain't Imperial issued.”

“They aren't. But I was never really enlisted with the Vast Empire so I wouldn't really know.”

“Well I made a career out of the Empire. In Basic they told us blasters were far superior to slug throwers as you can fire em' in space. Saved my ass many a time during boarding actions.”

“Like I said...never was in the military.”

By the time the man had finished, Helo had the pistol reassembled back in its holster and had begun the process on the other.

“Coulda fooled me,” the man stated as he gestured to Helo. “Any man who claims to have live a civilians life but can take that fancy weapon apart and put it back together again that fast is a liar.”

Abruptly Helo stopped as the mans words hit him. It wasn't shock....but something else.... a memory perhaps?

“What does it fire?” the man asked, oblivious to Helo's reaction. Bullets? He thought to himself. How the hell should I know?  Then it flooded over him so quickly that he never had time to think...

“Fires 5.7x22mm kinetic energy cartridges that are usable in atmospheric and zero-g combat and capable of tearing a hole clean through a battle droid.”

The man smiled a nearly toothless smile. “I knew it.  Let me guess...You fought for the alliance...hell don't be ashamed. We all have a past here, but frankly yours is a bit of a mystery to us...”

With lightning speed Helo whirled around and pushed the man back against the wall, fully assembled pistol pressed hard against the man's skull, his eyes wide with fear.

“You don't get it do you!” he hissed between his teeth.  “I don't know a gods damned thing. I have no past and with the way things are looking I have no future. The alliance has no idea who I am and the Empire has no record except from what Snipes' tells them. That man is the closest thing I have to a friend and he knows NOTHING ABOUT ME!”

When the anger subsided the silence hit him. The other pirate had stopped what he was doing and just stared at the two men. When Helo turned the man stood with his hands in the air. “I didn't see nothin' man,” he stated reassuringly. Boot steps from down the tunnel announced the arrival of Tanus, who slowed to a stop when he saw the two men. Quickly Helo let the man go and holstered his pistol, hastily bending down to grab his trench coat and hat off the mossy floor before moving down the tunnel.

“Wanna tell me what all that was about?” demanded Tanus as he passed. Helo ignored him, instead continuing down the passage with the others hot on his trail.

“Hey Bastard, a word of warning!” shouted out Tanus.  “We ran into them survivors just up and around the bend. There are a lot of them and I dont think it would be wise to startle our new allies.”

Again paying no heed to his words, Helo rounded the corner and into a spectacular sight. The Tunnel was now crowded with beings, human and otherwise, many reaching to grasp at Snipes who was being carried around on the shoulders of two bothans, holding his cutlass in one hand and what appeared to be a whiskey bottle in the other. The other members of Osk were spread around the crowd desperately trying not to be trampled while others tried in vain to get their king down.  Tanus and the others rounded the corner behind him, stopping just short of the crowd. Tanus stood next to Helo while the other two made sure to give him as wide a berth as possible.

“Amazing how he manages to Inspire such loyalty isn't it?”

“Aye,” Helo replied as he watched an adult rodian weep openly. (something which greatly bothered and amused him.)

“But an even more spectacular feat will be for all of us to get into the Locker come out of this alive.”
"God is not on the side of the big battalions, but on the side of those who shoot best."---Voltaire
Garryll Gates
ComNet Veteran

Garryll Gates

[VE-ARMY] First Sergeant
[VE-ICS] Pirate Swabbie

Post Number:  1285
Total Posts:  2159
May 25, 2010 8:57:24 PM    View the profile of Garryll Gates 
Gates tapped a bit of ash off the tip of his cigar, and then stuck it back into the left corner of his mouth. A deep breath; an exhale. It glowed a deep, burnt orange. The smoke haze surrounded his head, warding off the stench of his comrades, and the new arrivals - a motley host of the unclean, the unloved, the unremembered great, dirty masses of the Locker. The Mad King's people, the unfortunate denizens of this world's undercity, now.

Another one of the dirty men attempted to kiss the hem of Snipes' dank, tattered, stinking jacket. The Lord of the Locker had paid him no heed, as he was preaching to the masses in front of him. His Oskers stayed largely to the periphery, doing a modest job of watching out for new enemies. Only his most trusted lieutenants stood anywhere near him. Gates nudged the prone man with the steel tip of his combat boots. The emaciated man rolled over, blinking dumbly. He really was a wretched specimen, thin, dirty, hollow eyes and some ugly scars that looked like they'd wept less than a day ago.

"You can hear his sermon better from the front," Gates remarked. He handed the man a ration pack and shoved him in the direction of the large portion of the crowd. The man stumbled a few meters before he ripped open the food and began shoveling an unidentifiable semi-solid into his face. The Underthing turned and walked over to his Captain, the twin canisters of napalm sloshing lightly on his back. Tanus barely acknowledged Gates as he took up his customary position behind and to the left of him.

Wordlessly, he re-checked his weapon loadout. As was his custom, he was rather overdressed for the occasion - a long, black trench coat whose bottom edges were now damp and filthy, thrown over a Kevlar vest and dark combat pants. On his head, a dark red beret with a tiny skull sewn at its center perched. Dark gloves covered his hands and completed the outfit. A trio of holsters at his shoulder, belt and hip carried his bowie knife, M4 handgun and a back-up knife. An M66-SD SMG hung by a sling over his shoulder; he cleared the muzzle of a bit of tattered rag that had managed to attach itself to him somehow. Behind his other shoulder, the flamethrower's nozzle hung, attached to its gas canisters. All seemed to be in working order, and he re-adjusted the weight to balance it more comfortably.

Tanus took another swig from his canteen, the powerful aroma of an unidentifiable mixture of alcohols potent enough to be smelled over the stench of the sewers and the new arrivals. He was a model for calm - for an Osker. The "Warhammer" so called for his signature weapon - the massive hammer that could flatten a fully-armored Stormtrooper into a messy red pile of mush - was leaning from foot to foot, surveying the Oskers and the Locker's dirty inhabitants. Gates practically vibrated with apprehension - he knew they were going to get up to their necks in it, and he was ready and raring to get into it.

"We need to get moving," he remarked, clenching and unclenching his fists in impatience. "We wait here much longer, and those sanctimonious sonzabitches are gonna be greeting us with sharp, pointy objects. And I don't envy a close-in fight in this shithole."

"Literally," the Pirate Captain replied dryly. "But you don't rush Snipes; he'll dictate when and if we move."

The Mad King raised his voice - and his arms - and addressed the crowd once more. "Speak of the devil," Tanus murmured.

"The Devil is upstairs," Garryll replied. "And he's in a pissy mood."

"Gather yourselves. We go now, back to The Locker, back to our home," the Osker's King proclaimed, part sermon, part order, all decision; dozens of throats cheered for the statement, weather they were Osker hired gun or Eyesore grub. Gates grinned, spitting out the butt of the chewed-up cigar to the floor and digging through his pockets for another one. Finding one, he ground the other with the heel of his foot and produced a zippo, flicking the tiny lighter open. The tiny flame, however, failed to appear. Unhappy, he tossed the offending device into a puddle and used the lighter-flame on his flamethrower to light the thick stick. The blue-red flame cast a warm light onto his face, and the thick stench of burning napalm mixed with the sweet, smoky aroma of the cigar.

"We'll make them pay, now," Tanus said, setting his feet boldly, and stowing his canteen. Ron emerged from the crowd, stuffing his sketchpad back into his knapsack, and took up his position behind Tanus' other shoulder. "Ready yourselves, boys. The King has made his mind up, and now no one's standing in his - or our way."

ESL/1SGTGarryll Gates/4SQD/1PLT/1COM/1RGT/1BAT/Tadath/VEA/VE [RoM][ICE][IH][CCA][BC][SRP][AS-1][ES1][CoS][EW1] {RESx3} [ESC09] [RoT] [CRoS] [AoT][CoZ]

God is not on the side of the big battalions, but on the side of those who shoot best.----For Tadath, for the Empire.----Rage is a hell of an anesthetic
Sniping101
ComNet Marshal

Sniping101

[VE-ARMY] First Sergeant
[VE-ICS] Pirate Lord
[VE-VEEC] Journalist

Post Number:  3791
Total Posts:  3940
May 28, 2010 11:40:41 AM    View the profile of Sniping101 
Snipes presence was announced by the deafening echo of his Casull firing and the bright arterial bloodspray. He wasn’t one to sit idly by. He didn’t even like the overwhelming praise he’d been getting from the refugees, he wasn’t sure he liked them. What he loved of Osk had been the free spirits, but these people followed him blindly, he wasn’t sure how he felt about that. He let it slip from his mind as he bounded to cover, Kelevra laying down suppressive fire with a blaster carbine.

The problem with the Crusaders was simply that most weapons would not penetrate their armor. As the Oskers neared The Locker, patrols of Crusaders became common place, and each time the group of privateers lost a few of their members, the Crusaders enduring blaster and slug-thrower fire, shrugging off bolts and bullets until they were within range of their grav-lances, and swords and hammers. Snipes weapons blew giant craters in their heavy armor, but even so the heaviest of them required being shot more than a few times.

Jager seemed to lash out at one or two at a time, sinking his blade into chinks in their armor, in fact most with blades had found that a preferred method of dealing with them. The chaos that ensued exhilarated and angered Snipes. He did not like it, he spun among them, twin weapons screaming and blocking the enemies thrusts.

Once he had drawn to close to one with a lance and found himself held and even drawn towards it, saved only by the giant metal spike of Tanus’ warhammer. The lances held them, making them easy targets, they had learned that quickly, the blue glow around the spear-points was some sort of gravity well, small but deadly. It explained why the weapons were so long.

Snipes was forced to take to the ground, sliding on his back as the twin weapons cried for murder, a swing from a large sword had gotten too close, and as he slid back Bastard was upon the swordsman, his pistol in hand he lept upon the enemy, sticking the barrel into his neck before pulling the trigger and riding him to the ground, a quick look around and he was gone.

Snipes twisted himself up in time to shove the barrel of Jackal into the eye of a Crusader foolish enough to loose his helmet, the resulting splatter coated the proud Pirate King.

With that final gunshot it was over. It had lasted a bare few minutes, but the intensity made it feel like days, even Snipes was sweating, but he was smiling, a smile filled with joy. Battle. It had been so long since he’d fought one like this, one that was dangerous, one that he was personally involved with, in the midst, in the screams and yells and cacophony of gunfire and sinking blades.

Snipes looked over to Kami, they were both breathing hard. She was covered in blood as surely as he was, he smiled.

“Haven’t had this much fun in a long time,” He said, straightening and stretching, still trying to recover his breath.
“Fun?”

Snipes shrugged and reached into his pocket, the pack of cigarettes he pulled out were covered with blood and ruined by the liquid, he crumpled them and tossed them over his shoulder, opening a new pack.

“Jager, any idea how much further?”

The gruff cyclops cast his gaze over to Snipes from where he crouched, cleaning his blade, “Not sure, we’re getting close to the parts held by the Crusaders.”

“Lovely!” Snipes stated, turning and stepping again in the direction they had been traveling, mindless of the dead and dieing, ignoring them completely, almost unaware they were there.

“What about the wounded?” Kami asked, a matter of course rather than deep seated caring.

“Those that can follow may follow, those that cannot will stay, those that will not may tend those that cannot.” Snipes was getting closer and closer to the most hated people he had ever met, distractions slid from him like oily water.

The Paladin. It was his title, his pride, and his duty. He was The Paladin. Of all the Blessed he had brought he was the only Paladin, the leader. This was not only his sacred duty, but the duty to his dead family, his duty to the galaxy. The all consuming need to find and destroy this demon.

He listened with half interest as the reports came in, monsters in the catacombs, monsters advancing, demons from the depths of hell. He unconsciously felt the cybernetic box where once his larynx had been. The descriptions had all been the same. The Demon was coming, his grip tightened on the large gravity-hammer in his first, a full head taller than he was.

He stood, with a creaking of old bones, a grating on armor and a whirring of prosthetics. He was clad from feet to neck in a heavy silver armor, ornately engraved with vine-work, his head was hidden in a white hood, a part of the white and red tabbard that covered his armor and draped to the floor. The only difference between his and the rest of the Crusaders was item hanging from his neck, the great twisted cross of rough steel, once it had been a shining example of their craftsmanship, but generations of crusades and the Paladins who had worn it had made it twisted and pitted with conflict. It was the symbol of his station.

“Let us go forward, Blessed of the Light, let us teach them of God and preach from the tower of their corpses.” The Paladin did not need many words, he never had, “Send two legions.”
{Comnet Hermit}
-=Wraith PRIDE=- - Former Member - 3 years.
VE Smoker Association
Diligo, Laus, Sors quod Fortuna.
The few, The proud, The CrAZy RAIDERS.
----------------------------------------------
TRP/FSG Sniping101/3SQD/2PLT/1COM/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE[LoR][IH][BoA][CDSx2][CoR][ES1][EW1][CoS][GS][GRP][RoT][SCA][MRT] -So Very Retired-
Author/JRN Snipeth/Lotaith/VET/VE -Disbanded-
King/Pirate Lord Sniping101/Throne/The Osk Company/Osk 91
"I'm a leaf on the wind"

Kami
ComNet Marshal

Kami

[VE-ARMY] 2nd Lieutenant
[VE-ICS] Pirate Overseer

Post Number:  1481
May 28, 2010 8:22:29 PM    View the profile of Kami 
The screams and wailing of the wounded had become a persistent aspect to the catacombs beneath the Locker. Dozens fell with every clash with the Paladins, clutching hands to their chests as lances torn out their innards or dropping face first into the filth as laser bolts burnt through their fragile flesh. Kami fought like she was possessed at Snipes side, paying heed only to whichever enemy rose up to meet her.  Occasionally she would tear her attention away to aid Deznim as he struggled to fight with the vigor she and the other Osk assault team members displayed, but for the most part she was immersed in the thrust and withdraw of her blades. Blood was trickling in a steady stream down her face to pool in her eyes and turn her vision dark red. She did not know if it was hers, particularly since most of her body was covered with the blood of others, warm and sticky in parts and cold and clotted in others. It really did not matter. She was alive, and they were not. Battle was as simple as that.

The fighting slowed for a moment, the remnants of Osk Company converging on the few remaining Paladin soldiers and tearing them limb from limb. Quite literally. Despite her experience with brutality even Kami turned away, focusing instead on getting to Deznim through the shifting mass of bodies, dead and alive.

“They just keep coming,” Deznim uttered as she approached him, the whites of his eyes showing in a combination of shock and exhaustion, “It’s always the same. They never stop.”

“Peace Dez.” Kami pushed a water canteen into one of his quivering hands, “Drink. You’ll need it.”

“Kams!” Snipes roar was distinguishable above the cries of the Paladins and moments later he appeared before her. He kicked the body of one of the Oskers unceremoniously out of his way and grinned at his second in command, “Jager says we are but few minutes from the surface. We are almost there!”

Despite the fatigue starting to settle of her shoulders Kami forced herself to return the smile. If that were indeed the case they had covered a great deal of ground in very little time. Perhaps there was a chance that they would make it into the Locker after all. Perhaps some of those men still with them would survive this nightmarish experience in the warrens and be able to walk out into the light.

As though in response to her brief turn in positive thinking a series of panicked cries sounded to the fore of the Osk Company group, followed by the roar of men and the sound of revived battle. Kami turned away from Snipes and sprinted towards the noise, shoving others roughly aside as she stumbled up a rise of recently collapsed ceiling near the side of the wide tunnel in which they were currently located. She eventually used her hands to gain purchase on the crumbling surface and straightened to perceive a sight which caused her heart to sink within her chest. The entire forward section of their force was falling back, overwhelmed utterly by the waves of Paladins which were pouring down from the narrow opening that apparently lead to the surface. Well aware that her decision would doom those engaged in fighting to certain death, Kami didn’t hesitate.  Spinning back around she skidded down the expanse of the mound and almost slammed into Tanus at its base.

“Reinforcements,” She managed to shout at him between breaths, “More than a legion.”

It was enough. Tanus’s gaze widened and he disappeared, no doubt to find his men and begin a retreat. Kami raced back to Snipes position and grabbed the Pirate King’s shoulder in a death grip as she passed, “We need to leave. Now.”

“What?” Snipes refused to budge, clutching Kami’s forearm to stop her passing him. He bared both rows of his teeth and raised his weapons, “We will fight them! I am not a coward!”

“Snipes please!” Kami met his gaze, pushing down the barrel of his gun, “It will not help. We need to find another way.”

Tanus reappeared at their side, Garryll and Ron at his shoulders. All three were drenched in fresh blood and were glancing anxiously over their shoulders. Seeing the Pirate King still in danger Tanus strode forwards and rested a heavy hand on Snipes other shoulder,

“Stop being a stubborn bastard Snipes, listen to Kami. We need to go. Now!”

Snipes flicked his gaze behind the considerable bulk of The Warhammer to where Paladin’s lances were now visible and then back to his two trusted lieutenants standing either side of him. Finally he tilted his head in surrender to their wishes, “Alright. I’ll come.”

The small group turned and began to run in the other direction to the battle, Jager streaming out front like a hunting dog as he sought to find a path around the confrontation to their rear. Bastard, Jegora, Ae, Hond, and a few others Kami recognized broke off from their individual struggles as they flashed past and joined their ranks without a moment’s hesitation. Some tattered looking remnants of those they had found from beneath the tunnels also followed, leaving their engaged brethren behind as they perceived a chance for their own survival.

“This way.”

Jager darted to his left abruptly and into a tiny opening in the wall just off the main tunnel. Kami was forced to slow as she moved into the constricted space, ducking her head and hunching her shoulders over to prevent herself from becoming wedged. She glanced back only once to ensure the others were still following and then focused on feeling with her hands before her to determine how to twist her body about the juts and curves of rocks sticking out from the ceiling and floor. They traveled that way for perhaps a few minutes before the opening widened slightly and rose sharply upwards, as demonstrated by the fact that Jager had ceased going forwards and was now climbing up a rocky face a few meters away. Kami slowed to give Deznim a boost up and then followed Snipes as he leapt after their guide, sliding her blades back into their sheaths to allow her hands free access for handholds. They climbed for another few minutes, the sound of the battle behind them dying as they moved further and further from the original tunnel network.

“Kams.” Snipes was suddenly at the top of the wall face as he leant over and stretched one hand out to her, “Come along.”

Kami took the proffered hand gratefully and scrambled over the edge and onto flat ground. She took a moment to straighten, mostly because she was overcome by the sudden intense light of the circular basin in which they now rested.  Raising a hand as a shield before her eyes she came to her feet, her green eyes tracing the lopsided rooftops visible just above the rim of their shallow basin,

“Is that....are we?” She looked over to Jager who was peering cautiously upwards with his blaster in hand, “The Locker?”

Jager’s one eye locked onto her and he nodded in confirmation.

The others were suddenly at her side, exclaiming in surprise and delight as they recognized their home. Those Osk tunnel inhabitants who had managed to survive the battle and the subsequent retreat took longer to rise from the earth, some hissing with the force of their hurt from the brightness of the daylight.

Snipes seemed a man reborn where he was striding back and forth a few meters away. His eyes were alight with a combination of fury and excitement, his knuckles white as they tightly gripped the handles of his weapons.

“We are in their belly,” He said to Kami, a feral smile contorting his face, “And they do not even know it.”

Tanus hefted his large hammer before him and stood up to the Pirate King’s side, “They will know soon enough.”
|| Retired ||
------------------------

------------------------

[This message has been edited by Kami (edited May 28, 2010 8:25:48 PM)]
Tanus Solvona
ComNet Member

Tanus Solvona

Post Number:  704
June 1, 2010 6:28:17 PM    View the profile of Tanus Solvona 
Too long. It had been too long since he had seen his home. The lopsided rooftops gave it a slight disjointed feel, but that is what separated Osk from the others: Order within chaos. Snipes strode forward, looking on his mad kingdom with a glint in his eye; Tanus knew that glint all too well. It was the shine seen in a child’s first happy memory – it was the shine seen in a man who knew his return home was going to come to an end. Tanus’ warhammer rested on his shoulder as Kami stood silently to his left; she too lacked words to describe the scene. For once in his life, Tanus could honestly say Snipes was speechless. Jager stood off to the right, foreboding and silent, checking the surrounding area for any would be aggressors. The legions sent to route them remained lost beneath the surface, but it would not be long until they found their way out.

“It’s good to see the sun again,” Garryll murmured from the back of the group; Tanus nodded.

It was good to see the sun again – it was good to see his home again. The sentiment was shared by all gathered. Snipes’ arms were quaking; Tanus couldn’t tell if the Mad King was simply shaken by the scene or running on adrenaline. On the air was the scent of decay and time passed – and even more than that, sadness and woe. The sunlight above cut through a veil of smoke and clouds to reveal the cityscape below. Smoke rose from where buildings were or used to be; small fires dotted the streets. Even from here, Tanus could spot the tell tale signs of battle. The Crusaders controlled this place with a steely death grip. Now it was their turn to strike. They rising groans from behind him made Tanus turn; Aeos and Jeg were helping the survivors up from the gap in the earth. Kams strode up to Snipes, silent and thinking as she took her place at his right; Tanus hefted his hammer onto his shoulder, silently taking his left. Snipes breathed in a deep breath of air and smiled a wicked smile.

“I can smell them. I can smell the steel, I can smell their blood… I can smell their fear. They know we’re coming, and they know that they cannot hide.”

Kami sighed as she rested a hand on Snipes’ shoulder. The Mad King did not turn to look at his lieutenant; he was busy basking in the glow of his kingdom.

“Snipes, as much as it pains me to say it, you’re going to need to slow down for a bit. Before we can do anything, we need to get the wounded to a safe place and let them heal. They’ll slow us down in their condition, and they’re not going to be of much use in a fight, besides being meat shields.”

Snipes turned to stare at Kami, his eyes suddenly glazed over with a grim, steely look. He holstered his weapons and turned to look at his ailing people. Many of them could not walk, or if they could, did so slowly and gingerly. Snipes grimaced and spat on the ground.

“What use is it? We can’t leave, but we can’t bloody take them either. Well, my two lieutenants, do we have any suggestions?”

Tanus stepped forward, hammer still in his hands. His gaze met Snipes’ and then looked past to the sick and dying.

“If we are going to survive this mad crusade, then we are going to need a few things, namely reinforcements and a working resistance force. The only way we’re going to be able to push through the Locker is with help, and the only way we’re going to get that help is with our ships and Fury.”

Kams stepped up next to Tanus, her green eyes slicing the line of sight Tanus had with Snipes.

“He’s absolutely right, Snipes. As much as you want to rush into this and take your home back, you can’t do it without help.”

Snipes looked between his two lieutenants and gave them both a wry smile; Tanus knew that look all too well

“Well, it appears the Warhammer has a plan brewing, so let’s hear what he has to say.”

Tanus nodded and turned to look at the Locker. In the center of the Locker was Snipes’ stronghold, which was currently controlled by The Paladin. On the outskirts of that were smaller dens of debauchery, but even more than that were several other waypoints the Pirates needed.

“All right. The best way to do this is to split in to two groups: One will be a distraction, the other will be the commando group. What needs to be done is get the wounded to safety and get them healed up and get Fury in here. The distraction will head out first and cause havock in the city, just enough to draw the Crusaders away from the communications hubs and medical centers.”

Snipes and Kami nodded at the same time; Snipes took a long draw from his flask and then nodded at Tanus.

“You mean to flank them.”

“Yes and no. Fury can’t just push through the Crusader forces outside; he doesn’t have the man power. The second part of this plan lies above us. Fury has brought in some reinforcements via the ICS, which for the most part should be able to hold the assault of the Crusader fleet. Luckily, we won’t need to pull them away. If we can get the smaller freighters and fighters down here, they can disrupt the ground forces long enough for Fury to push through and get into the Locker. The aerial forces can then land, disembark and meet up with the main force to drive the Crusaders out of the Locker for good and all.”

Kami stepped forward, hesitance shining on her face; Tanus knew what she was going to say before it left her lips.

“That’s all well and good, but the Crusaders have a substantial defense network. They aren’t going to just let us kill them off with air support.”

Before Tanus could answer, Snipes looked at him with fire dancing in his eyes; he knew what was going on.

“You mean to disrupt their anti-air defensive network.”

Tanus nodded. “Aye. It’s the only way this is going to work, and even then, it isn’t a sure fire thing. The distraction team will leave ahead of the communications team, wherein the distraction team will get past the Crusaders and hit the air defenses, or at least knock them out long enough to get our men and Fury’s men into the Locker. When they go down, the communications team should already be in position by this point. They’ll send a message to the freighters and fighters we have. Order them down here to take out the Crusader ground forces hassling Fury. When they go down, Fury can push through with his forces and we’ll catch them in a vice.”

Snipes nodded with a smile. Kami had a smirk on her face too. It was a good plan. Now just came the hard part.

“Fine, who’s going with who?”

“We’ll split the surviving resistance fighters up the middle; each team will take half. That said, I’ll take the distraction team into the Locker. I want to take Ron, Garryll and Jeg with me. The communications team will be everyone else. Snipes, you should lead this one; your people need you, and Kami is a computer wizard, so getting the messages through shouldn’t be a problem. When we hit the aerial networks, we’ll get a message to you. You relay it to Fury and the others. From there, we push the Crusaders out into the awesome for one final strike.”

Snipes nodded his approval, as did Kami. The plan was set; the teams were in place. Now just came the part about not dying mid way through.
PC/PSG Tanus Solvona/Tadath/VEA [EW1][ES1][LM][BC][CoR][LoS][SRP][CDS][SCA][FCE][VUA-ARC-Lambda][AS-2][ESC09][AoT][IH]

"The warrior does not question, does not ponder, does not pontificate. The warrior simply does."

"Only priests and fools are fearless, and I have never been on the best of terms with God."

Garryll Gates
ComNet Veteran

Garryll Gates

[VE-ARMY] First Sergeant
[VE-ICS] Pirate Swabbie

Post Number:  1290
Total Posts:  2159
June 1, 2010 8:02:20 PM    View the profile of Garryll Gates 
The light that scattered on the Locker was warm, but grew annoying when it the damp blood on his long trench coat began to stink again. Tanus was speaking animatedly to Snipes and Kami; about what, he had no idea. Gates turned his attention to his gear. Lip curled, he dumped the silenced SMG - its small-caliber rounds had been totally ineffective against the super-heavy armor of the Paladins. The Armor-piercing hadn't been totally useless, but he'd exhausted all of those rounds in the few minutes of insane, point blank, bloody chaos.

One of the bedraggled resistance fighters that had managed to drag himself out of the Locker's blood-stained Undercity limped up, supporting himself on a knicked-up cutlass. He held up two fingers to his mouth and raised a half-burned-off eyebrow. Gates shrugged and dug in his previously black belt. He'd lost the rest of his cigars to a close stab by a Paladin's energy lance, but he still had a box of smokes. Gates shook one out of the blood-splattered box and handed it over. The Resistance man nodded in thanks, and produced a box of matches, and lit the cigarette himself.

The man took a long drag and closed eyes that had sunk deep into his emaciated skull. He scratched at a thick growth of stubble and extended a hand. "Brandon Murphy, ex-freighter captain."

"Garryll Gates. Three slots below the King hisself," Gates cackled, shaking the man's hand. The man stared at him blankly. "Y'know, there's King, then there's his captains..."

"I was just running freight for Osk," grumbled the man, his attention turned away. "And me and my entire damn crew end up here when these psychotic bastards burn our ship to dust."

The man stumbled back away, smoke leaking behind his head; a trio of men in similar garb, though it was quite bedraggled - his crew. The rest of the surviving Resistance members milled around aimlessly. Gates shrugged and wiped a large droplet of blood off his collar, then joined the rest of the Oskers, who had separated themselves from the poor unfortunate Resistance men and women. Ron nodded at the approaching man, a nod that said - So you're still alive.

The rest of the Osk Pirates ignored him and continued to lick their wounds - some of the aliens literally. One was so splattered in blood that Gates couldn't tell the pirate's species, never mind their gender. Tanus and Kami and Snipes were now nodding in earnest; they'd either agreed on something or were about to. Gates bumped his shoulder into Ron's, and nodded in their captain's direction. Tanus turned, headed towards the group of Osk men. Snipes caught the "Warhammer's" sleeve and yanked him close, mouth inches away from his ear; the Mad King's lips moved rapidly, and Tanus nodded once, sharply at the end of it. Snipes let him go and Tanus moved forwards.

"What's the plan, boss?" Gates asked. "Crack some skulls? Burn some villages? Kill some ugly Paladin sons-of-bitches?"

Tanus' lips quirked up in a smile. "We're taking the fight to them. Ron, find me Jeg; Garryll, round up a half the Resistance men."

The two Underthings leapt to their orders; Ron turned to the Osk group and moving between pirates, while Gates yelled at the motley crew of Resistance survivors. "Half of y'all, on me!"

Brandon Murphy and his crew stepped forwards first, followed by a half-dozen loner thugs and emaciated citizens. Gates waggled the cigar from one corner of his mouth to another and dropped a few choice swear words on the general condition of the pathetic assembly his call to action had summoned. Ron turned up a moment later, the massive frame of Jegora Fal a few steps behind him. Tanus looked at the group with a malicious glint in his eye.

"You lucky bastards," he stated, addressing the men he'd had his two Underthings assemble, "are coming with me. The orders are straightforward enough: we're going to throw a serious wrench into the anti-air system of these self-righteous sacks of crap. That will give us access to some sweet, uncontested air strikes and reinforcements. I think it's about time the Locker got opened back up, what say you?"

Tanus ad hoc team nodded confidently, and even the Resistance men brightened. At that staggering show of support, Tanus turned and jogged in a seemingly random direction, his seniority and reputation. Gates and Ron followed on his heels. They quickly cleared the depleted crowd of Oskers, and began their mission.

The Locker beckoned to them; it had started as a beat down city, and frankly, Gates' new-comer eye couldn't see much change. He mentally shrugged. Better to have your home so shot to hell in the first place it doesn't look that bad after an invading army comes in then to have a sparkling city and have said army burn, pillage and rape it. Tanus' group moved through the deserted streets quickly and silently, its undercity denizens having mastered a half-run that was as quiet as the wind, and its four Osk leaders having all served as hard-ass Stormtroopers during some time in their pasts.

A hum of deep resonance emerged from a smashed store front. Tanus poked his head around the shattered glass and almost cursed in delight. "Half-squad of 'em. They're praying, can you believe it?"

"Want me to deliver a holy fire, boss?" Gates whispered back, gesturing with his flamethrower's nozzle. "I can do rare, crispy, or well-done."

"Burn 'em down," Tanus said, and Gates stepped forwards. "But make sure they come out here. I'd like at least one to taste my hammer."

"With pleasure, sir," Gates said, falling into his old habit. He moved into the open, shattered window, and started the ignition-burner underslung on the flamethrower's nozzle. The tiny sound was enough to get the attention of the furthest-back soldier, who turned. Gates grinned, and flipped the man the bird. "Burn in hell, boy."

The man had enough time to reach for his force-pike before he became a wailing, napalm-fed torch. His comrades whirled around, well-honed combat reflexes throwing them in all sorts of directions and grabbing their weapons as they did. Gates grinned at the weapon's success, and played the flaming spear across the room. The Paladins were tough to bring down by conventional means, due to their armor, but it was hindering. He lit another two men alight, and winged a third before the last two unscarred men charged, force-pikes held at waist height.

Gates backpedaled, cutting the flamer as the Paladins closed. The first man stepped from the shop, his comrade at his heels. Tanus hammer took the first man at the knees, the huge heavy-metal head of the cumbersome hammer slamming into the man's legs. He screamed in pain as his legs snapped like matchsticks. The other survivor whirled at Tanus, but Jeg and Ron caught him and stabbed him to death. Tanus was kneeling next to the man he'd downed, and removed his helmet.

The Paladin's eyes rolled and his neatly trimmed beard caught coughed-up blood, dyeing it red for the last minutes of his life. "Demon! Heretic, infidel, bastard!" the man choked out, staring through the sun into Tanus' kneeling silhouette. "You will burn in Hell for these transgressions!"

"I don't think so," Tanus said, wiping a bit of bloody spittle off of his boots. "Seeing how Eyesore is ours."

Without a further word, he crushed the man's head underneath his hammer. The Resistance men gawked wordlessly at the display of violence, and Tanus beckoned with his index finger, other four curled tightly around his trademark hammer; they had places to go, people to kill.

ESL/1SGTGarryll Gates/4SQD/1PLT/1COM/1RGT/1BAT/Tadath/VEA/VE [RoM][ICE][IH][CCA][BC][SRP][AS-1][ES1][CoS][EW1] {RESx3} [ESC09] [RoT] [CRoS] [AoT][CoZ]

God is not on the side of the big battalions, but on the side of those who shoot best.----For Tadath, for the Empire.----Rage is a hell of an anesthetic
Jegora
ComNet Veteran

Jegora

[VE-ARMY] 1st Leftenant
[VE-DJO] Initiate
[VE-ICS] Privateer
[VE-NAVY] 2nd Lieutenant

Post Number:  1424
Total Posts:  2175
June 4, 2010 12:14:20 AM    View the profile of Jegora 
The man’s screaming had become unbearable. In one smooth motion, Jegora turned and brought his vibrosword down straight through the man’s heart. The super-heavy armor that the crusader wore literally melted as the rapidly vibrating, phrik-reinforced blade passed through it into the body underneath, and quite suddenly the screams stopped.

“Shit, we’re lucky if he didn’t let everyone in the entire city know we’re here,” Garryll muttered as the man finally fell silent.

Tanus turned, a gleam in his eye that Jegora registered as more than slightly feral. “Good,” the warhammer-wielding warrior intoned, his voice eager. “I wanna smash a few more skulls.”

Snorting quietly, Jegora wiped his blade clean on one of the dead bodies before sheathing it once more on his back. “Contrary to popular belief, Tanus, I don’t have a death wish. I enjoy revenge as much as the next man, but I’d like to survive the process.”

Tanus opened his mouth to reply, but before he could say anything a new voice rang out. “Found ‘em!” Ron said from where he was hunched over a computer terminal. “Looks like these assholes have six mobile AA positions set up in addition to the eight quad cannons that the Locker usually sports.”

That information was met with more silence. There was no way that the four pirates and the ragged men and women they had brought with them could take out the eight stationary guns, let alone the mobile ones. If they didn’t, however, then there was a very good chance that whatever air support they managed to call in would simply get slaughtered before they could do anything particularly useful.

Glancing back, Jegora examined the men and women they had brought with them and did some quick calculations in his head. He took it all in; their numbers, their physical condition, their mental condition, their morale…nothing escaped his hyper-observant gaze, and within seconds his analytical mind had dissected the situation and had come up with the only possible conclusion.

“Alright, we’ll split up-” Tanus began, but Jegora cut him off.

“Look at them, Solvona. There’s no way you’re turning THAT into an assault squad. The only way they retain any effectiveness as a fighting element is if you use them as cannon fodder.”

Tanus glared at Jegora, not use to being interrupted, but Jegora returned the man’s fiery gaze with a coldly dispassionate one of his own.

As the two pirate captains stared one another down, the tension in the room grew nearly palpable. Eventually, it was Garryll who broke the silence.

“Well, we can’t stay here,” the younger man said, exasperated. “What’s the plan?”

Jegora didn’t have an answer. This was so far outside his standard operating procedure that he was rather lost as to what to do next. Normally, Jegora’s operations were always planned thoroughly in advance. While he realized that even the best plans only lasted until the first shot was fired, he sought to counteract the unknowns of combat by creating extensive and detailed, yet flexible plans. He strove to foresee every problem that might arise, every alternative course that might present itself. He was always ready to adapt, but at the same time he always had directive.

Now, however, that was not the case. The pirates operated on the assumption that any obstacle could be overcome with the proper application of determination and sheer courage. It was an admirable philosophy, but certainly not one that Jegora agreed with. Nonetheless, he was in the minority, and so for the moment he found himself at the mercy of the pirates.

The silence stretched on, and suddenly Jegora wondered if they were simply going to stand around until some more of the crusaders found them. That wasn’t to be, however, for mere seconds later Ron provided a temporary solution to their problems.

“I think I found something useful,” the slicer announced quietly. “Seems that all the Locker’s anti-air cannons are slaved to a central control room. Also seems that at least four of the mobile devices are on a direct path to that control room.”

Jegora shook his head, amazed that once again lady luck had conspired to assist the privateers. Tanus was grinning again, his warhammer resting on one shoulder. “Well, you heard the man,” he shouted. “Let’s go burn our way to that control room. Kill anything that moves!”
Jegora Fal
Army Tactical Officer

TO/1LT Jegora/Stormtrooper Corps/Vast Empire Army/Vast Empire
[RCoD] [IH] [BC] [MRT] [EW1] [CoZ] [CCA] [DCE] [BoT] [ESC09] [AS-1] 

Initiate of the Dark Jedi Order
Captain of the Osk Company
Jager
ComNet Member

Jager

[VE-ARMY] Gunnery Sergeant

Post Number:  541
Total Posts:  630
June 5, 2010 5:35:52 AM    View the profile of Jager 
One of the scout mantras recited itself in his head as he fell onto his foe.

Strike fast and suddenly...

His opening salvo caught the middle crusader in the throat, easily bypassing the weaker material and sending him to the ground with a yelp,

Attack without warning...

His brothers heads darted to the left catching only a glimpse of their attacker before he was upon them, a flurry of blaster fire hammered down and sent another reeling as he collapsed in a heap.

Secure victory before the foe is aware of his danger...

The lead invader swung wide with a shortsword he kept as his belt, leaving himself open to a cheap blow on his unhelmed chin.

A war is easily won if your enemy does not know he is fighting...

The last invader brought his weapon to bare and fired, striking his attacker in the shoulder. For a brief second he was airbourne, spinning from the sonic weapons blast, his ears ringing a death knell, before a derelict stall caught his fall with an almighty crash.

Every bone ached like he had been hit by a shuttle craft. He was sure his left arm had dislocated itself but it mattered little. He had gotten sloppy and careless. The long solitude and the survivalist driven insanity had finally taken its tool on his mind, but he wasn't about to go down without a fight, not after all of that, not after all he had been through.

Pensivly the invader crossed towards the pile of rubble that had arrested his attackers fall, his weapon at the ready. A low moan came from his left, his squad leader rolled onto his side and spat a mouthful of blood onto the dura-crete. He had turned his head for only a moment, but that was all his attacker needed. A torrent of shots sprayed from the collapsed stall, peppering off the crusaders armor, jerking him around before eventually finding purchase and ending his life.

It took whatever will power he had remaining to pull himself from the wreckage. His right arm cradling his left as best it could. The sonic weapon had deafned him in his left ear, washing the world in a low, ambient white noise, apart from which was only silence. The bodies of the invaders lay sprawled across the small square. The leader clawled aimlessly around for his blade, only to be cut down by a final shot from Jager as he limped past.

He had abandon them. His fellow pirates, his comrades, dare he say, his friends to their own devices. This was not his fight. Those days where over for him. From now on, he was living for himself. No more Empire. No more Intelligence. Just Jager. But for the first time in his life, he felt aimless. There had always been someone else, someone on the other end, telling him what to do. Their absence was no where near as reassuring then he'd imagined. All his life he had been little more then a tool, a weapon in someone else arsenal, with no motivation other then a paycheck. And without a wielder, a tool was useless.

What would he do now? Where would he go? He had no friends to turn to. The Oskers, regardless of whatever history he had, would no doubt turn on him if his original purpose was ever discovered, which, given the Empires tenacity, would be sooner rather then later. He would just have to run. To the other end of the galaxy, if need be. But the past was like a shadow. Always there, always watching and impossible to outrun.

One day they would come for him. Be it in a week, in a year, in a decade. They would come.

With a clenched jaw he braced himself before violently jerking his shoulder back into place, the pain dropping him down on a knee before subsiding. It was time to leave Osk to its own devices. Snipes had promised him a ship if he played tour guide, which he had done with gusto. The old man probably wouldn't mind if he helped himself to whatever the Invaders had left in the hangers.

The sound of distant fighting rung through the stale air like a clash of thunder from a coming storm. This planet would burn tonight and he had no intention of hanging around to pick through the cinders and ash. Taking but a moment to center himself, he made off towards the hangers to claim his final paycheck.
Scout/Heavy weapon specailist

http://www.vastempire.com/wiki/index.php?title=Jager_Luth
Gunnery Sergeant J. Luth/Echelon/STC Academy/Tadath/VEA/VE
[This message has been edited by Jager (edited June 5, 2010 5:37:58 AM)]
[This message has been edited by Jager (edited June 5, 2010 8:06:20 AM)]
Kami
ComNet Marshal

Kami

[VE-ARMY] 2nd Lieutenant
[VE-ICS] Pirate Overseer

Post Number:  1486
June 6, 2010 8:10:46 PM    View the profile of Kami 
Kami is the computer wizard so getting the messages through shouldn’t be a problem.

Tanus’s endorsement of her skills was running over and over in Kami’s mind as she swore yet again and kicked out at the nearest computer terminal with a booted foot. She was unsure as to whether or not the other Osk Lieutenant had been being sarcastic back before they had parted ways, or if he just had a skewed perspective of her ability. She’s wasn’t the worst hacker out there, her time in the Kuati Military Academy and the Vast Empire had ensured that, but she sure as hell wouldn’t be winning any ‘super whiz’ prizes anytime soon.

“Anytime now Kami”

Snipes called to her from where he was huddled up behind the sparse covered provided by an overturned table in the adjacent room.  Deznim and the remnants of the communications taskforce were scattered about him behind smoking terminals and the blackened skeletons of chairs, popping up when they dared to fire back at the persistent Paladin forces charging through the entryway. Whilst they had managed to avoid confrontation until now they were in a difficult position, pinned between the alerted and suitably desperate Paladin forces and the dead end communications tower located near the centre of the Locker. That it had taken the Paladins so long to notice them suggested that Tanus and the others had been successful in their task of providing a spectacular distraction to draw additional forces away from the tower. Kami had initially been torn between relief at their success and anxiety over their fate, but since she had started her attempt to slice into the Paladin security network in order to broadcast to the Osk forces overhead she’d forgotten completely about their plight. Now she was just pissed off.

“Kami!”

The first hint of panic had crept into the undertones of Snipes’s usual gruff tone. The Pirate King cast another emptied rifle to the side and pulled a frag grenade from his belt. He held the grenade before him for a moment as Deznim gunned down a Paladin converging on the King’s position, before standing up and pegging it at the immense Paladin officer shouting wildly at his comrades just within the confines of the doorway. The grenade hit the shocked officer directly in the middle of his forehead before it exploded and sent a sticky shower of red blood spattering over everyone in the vicinity.

“Into the control room!” Kami took advantage of the momentary distraction, screaming at the survivors from her position before the console, “Now!”

Snipes, Deznim, and a dozen others complied, laying down a steady stream of covering fire as they retreated into the cramped space.  A few Oskers remained pinned down in the adjacent room, their eyes widening in shock as they began to comprehend Kami’s tactic. A few turned and charged recklessly at the recovering Paladin forces, casting themselves onto the end of the deadly lances at they sought to drag an enemy down with their deaths. The others took on grim expressions and set their jaws as they resolved to draw out the fight for as long as possible to give those in the next room the time to do what was needed.

Kami hesitated for the briefest of moments as she witnessed their immense courage before Snipes appeared at her shoulder. His presence spurred her back into action. Her fingers flew over the keypad before her and in response; the large blast door hovering just above the single doorway to the control room began to descend.  The Paladins cried out as they became aware of the movement and let loose with renewed vigor, lighting up the very air around the Oskers with a maelstrom of laser bolts. Snipes arm landed heavily across Kami’s back to force her to ground along with him as round after round of deadly energy splashed over anything and everything in the room. A few meters away a stunned Osk member was caught in the blast, her arms flinging out from her body in a series of bizarre twitching movements as green lasers scorched deep within her chest. There was a screech of metal upon metal as the blast door finally touched down and abruptly the noise ceased.

From about the room the remaining Osk members rose slowly to their feet, Deznim lowering himself down where he had somehow managed to scale up on top of the light fittings of the domed roof. Kami regarded him with a quizzical expression until the Ryn shrugged in response,

“Don’t ask me. I don’t even know how I got up there.”

A series of loud bangs interrupted the two as the Paladins in the outer room began to hammer at the heavy blast door with their bare fists and pikes.  Snipes took a few automatic steps towards the blast door, before grimacing and pulling his bottle free of where it was hooked on his belt and taking a large swig, “They’ll get laser torches soon.” He looked back to Kami, “Send the message now. We don’t have a choice.”

Kami nodded and flicked her green gaze back to the screen before her. A slight frown crossed her face as she navigated past a series of firewalls and finally succeeded in pulling up the necessary codes to initialize a broadcast. The first message was to Fury, sent as an encoded transmission via his own personal military comlink,

“Fury. Kams. If you and yours are still up and kicking we need you at the Locker ASAP. We’ll try to get some air support in for you. Over.”

The reply was immediate, “Good to know the bastards haven’t killed you yet. We made it through our initial encounter with minimal causalities. Are already on the way. Will be there within the hour if you can hold. Over.”

Kami caught Snipes gaze briefly before replying, “We’re not planning on dying before you get here. Good luck.”

Without waiting to hear Fury’s reply Kami cut the communication and punched in a new series of numbers that would broadcast an open transmission into the space above Osk91.  It was a dangerous move considering that the Paladins would also be able to intercept the message but a necessary one considering that they did not have the security codes on hand to individually address the remaining ships in their fleet.

“This is base. Go for the Jolly Roger. Repeat. Go for the Jolly Roger.”

She repeated the code five times and then shut down the system. Without any ceremony Kami stood back from the console, pulled her blaster free and squeezed on the trigger to turn the entire console into a slag heap of superheated metal. Deznim witnessed the display quietly and then arched a bushy white eyebrow at her when she was done,

“The Jolly Roger? Really?”

It was Kami’s turn to shrug, “Consider the IQ of the majority of our Captains before you judge.”

Deznim tilted his head and then reluctantly nodded, “Point made.”

The clunking on the blast door had stopped and was now replaced by a fierce hissing. As the small group of privateers watched the door began to change color, a section near one side starting to glow as an immense heat was applied from the other side. Snipes stormed up the door and glared at the offending section of wall as he pulled in another deep swig of his bottle. He turned to Kami, “Remind me to wring the necks of the cheap pricks who sold this to me.”

“Will do boss,” Kami walked up to his side to examine the Paladins progress. They had only minutes, perhaps ten at the most. But from their position they had nowhere to run. It would be fight and die unless fate intervened, and that thought was somehow calming in its simplicity.
|| Retired ||
------------------------

------------------------

[This message has been edited by Kami (edited June 6, 2010 8:15:34 PM)]
[This message has been edited by Kami (edited June 6, 2010 8:18:13 PM)]
Sniping101
ComNet Marshal

Sniping101

[VE-ARMY] First Sergeant
[VE-ICS] Pirate Lord
[VE-VEEC] Journalist

Post Number:  3796
June 7, 2010 11:38:59 PM    View the profile of Sniping101 
Snipes sat down on a rock and hung his head, he exhaled deeply, “I have risen too far.” He turned his eyes skyward, his face lax, “I have risen and fallen more times than I can count. I have won and lost fortunes in the course of lifetimes, lifetimes that feel like mere minutes to me.” Snipes eyes shifted to Kami, his face still skyward and a tear streaming from his eye, “What is the point? Why must I do this every time?” He stood, opening his arms, hands still burdened with the twin weapons, “The galaxy is too easy! TOO EASY! Kill things, I just want a fight, I want to struggle, I want to kick and scream and gnaw and fight for my very life like the old days, the gone days. The days before, the days before I am what I am now.” Snipes bowed his head, his long hair hiding his face, his body shook, from laughter or tears.

Before Kami had time to console the erratic Pirate King, he turned, his face wet, the loose ponytail flying behind him, his arms flew up and set, the twin pistols, Casull and Jackal held forth, his wrists crossed. He screamed and emptied the magazines in the direction of The Locker. Kill them All.

Snipes had fought a thousand enemies, had won a thousand times. He had battled, building himself up from nothing until he reached the point he was no longer needed, each time it had happened he had fallen once again.

Snipes whooped loudly, laughing with true mirth. He tossed another weapon to the side as he pulled one of the Crusaders pikes up, finding the switch for the gravity well was no problem, and as soon as he did he drove the weapon into the next fool willing to climb through the hole they’d made. Snipes left the lance buried in it’s victim. His body and the gravity around the lance would stall them for long enough. Long enough he was able to once again pull free his twin handguns.

They were large weapons, not made for a normal human to wield, but Snipes was a man constructed of will and fight. The weapons suited his tall frame perfectly and he used them as though they were parts of himself, parts of him made only for vengeance.

As soon as they dragged the body of their brethren away, pike still embedded in his chest, Snipes was ready. He was not the only one, Kelevra stood at his side, an assault rifle in his hands, his eyes burning murder from behind a cracked monocle. Kami was there too, blaster in one hand, wicked blade in the other.

It was Jager, who Snipes couldn’t help but flick his attention to between bursts from his weapons. Jager was not fighting, was not killing, he was examining the window. Snipes dove towards the enemy, firing his guns, letting the momentum carry him behind the blast door they had not yet breached.

Snipes weapon, Casull grasped in his right hand went up, catching a Crusader in under his chin, Snipes smiled and pulled the trigger, the spray of blood extinguishing his cigarette.

Kelevra slid to his side, assault rifle screaming for blood as he did so, before he was next to the Pirate King, he produced a cheap cigarra with a smirk, Snipes returned the smiled and clamped his teeth on it as his old friend lit the end.

“Goo’ d’y to die, B’ss?”

“It’s never a good day to die,” Snipes said with a smile.

He sprung from his position, lighting the hole full of the fury of his weapons, once behind the cover of the remaining blast door he turned his weapons to the window Jager had been studying filling it full of holes before leaping out the floor-to-ceiling transpera-steel.

He fell, a feral grin on his face as he did so, almost laughing as the smoke from the cigarra curled around him. He fell and fell before he struck the durasteel outside of The Locker with his back. The wind was knocked from him as he bounced again and again and again, the cigarra flying free of his mouth as he gasped for air. In the end he found his breath again, but his body still hurt from the fall, he watched the window above, watching for his friends to follow him, hoping they were mad enough to take the same gamble he had.

He reached into his long jacket, his hand barely obeying his command, and pulled forth a cigarette, sticking it solidly in his teeth before lighting it. Madness, courage, luck, these were the strengths of pirates, these were the strengths of free men, the strength of brigands. If none would have it he would have it, for they were the only strengths he valued.

He would never give in, he would never die, he snorted in amusement as he watched another dark shape leap from the window, all fury and fight and power. He loved that and would have to see that these people were rewarded, for to him they really were the best the galaxy had to offer.
{Comnet Hermit}
VE Smoker Association
TRP/FSG Sniping101/3SQD/2PLT/1COM/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE[LoR][IH][BoA][CDSx2][CoR][ES1][EW1][CoS][GS][GRP][RoT][SCA][MRT] -So Very Retired-
"Don't let people who see what's in your right hand ever glimpse what's in your left."

Kami
ComNet Marshal

Kami

[VE-ARMY] 2nd Lieutenant
[VE-ICS] Pirate Overseer

Post Number:  1490
June 16, 2010 11:27:33 PM    View the profile of Kami 
Kami hadn’t hesitated when it had come to casting herself out of the window. Sure, logic defined that catapulting her slight form over a distance of a few dozen meters towards unforgiving ground wasn’t the smartest move in the book, but in the face of an advancing horde of furious Paladins it seemed like an awfully appealing option. She landed heavily on one shoulder, feeling something shift as she did so. Somehow managing to bite back an exclamation of pain she tucked her legs and rolled down the slight slope before slamming into a fleshy yet solid obstacle at its base. Snipes looked down at his second in command from where she was sprawled across his boots and arched both eyebrows in mild curiosity,

“You alright?”

“Fine.”

Kami clenched her jaw and climbed back to her feet, one arm clutching the throbbing other. She felt her inflamed shoulder with her fingertips before steeling herself and forcefully rolling the dislocated joint back into place.  It slid home with an audible crack of bone against bone and this time she wasn’t able to prevent the gasp that escaped her lips. Snipes watched the display, sniffed, and then raised his blaster back up to shoulder height and swept the barrel over the window that Kami had just excited. Deznim and a few other Oskers were making the leap to relative safety, more than a few landing more heavily than she had just done. Deznim landed perfectly on two feet and trotted over the short distance towards the two Pirate leaders.

“The others are dead,” The Ryn managed between rasping breaths, “We need to go. Now.”

As though in response to the Ryn’s words Paladin soldiers abruptly appeared at the window, showering the Oskers below with lasers as they sought to cover the expanse of ground between their position and the cover of the first of the Locker’s buildings. Snipes snarled out loud and returned fire, Kami joining in as she used her good arm to pull her heavy DC free of its holster. One of her shots took a heavily armored Paladin in the unprotected flesh between his chestplate and helmet to drop the large man like a stone. The Pirate King killed two more before the remnants of the group backed up and away from the window to prevent their fate from echoing their doomed companions.

“Where to now?” The intimidating and heavily armed man to Snipes side spoke up, shocking Kami into noticing him for the first time. Somehow in the blur of the assault she had not noticed Kelevra’s stalwart presence, “Back into the maze? Kill until killed?”

“No.” Kami was the first to become aware of the high pitched droning in the distance. She tipped her chin towards the darkening sky, her green graze attempting to trace the source of the sound, “They’re here.”

The others followed her gaze and eventually Kelvara laughed and pointed with a bloody finger to the horizon over the eastern sky of the Locker. Black dots were visible and growing with every second. Eventually they became recognizable as a series of battered and unique looking freighters and starfighters, the smaller ‘uglies’ sweeping out front of their larger counterparts. They didn’t hesitate as they reached the outskirts of the Locker, tipping their wings and roaring over the anti-air cannons lining the lopsided walls. The cannons failed to shift from their positions to track the Osk pilots as they swept past and instead remained tellingly inactive, their turrets pointed harmlessly down towards the earth.

Snipes tipped back his head and roared in a mixture of laughter and a cry of triumph, “The old dog did it! Tanus shut them down!”

Kami smiled in response to the Pirate King’s words but her eyes remained locked on the assaulting air force as they maneuvered into place with a display of skill developed over time as a necessity for survival in the cutthroat world of piracy. With no opposition they let loose with their haphazard collection of weapons, sending a seemingly never ending stream of multicolored lasers down into the streetscapes to target unfortunate groups of Paladins flocking towards their position.  The Paladins evaporated under the assault, their stolid armor no match for the power and intensity of the starships fire. Another cluster of uglies, headed by the sleeker Star-Viper class members of the Heartbreaker Fighter Group veered off and sent proton torpedoes jetting down to unmercifully target the side of the compound that the Paladin forces had utilized for a barracks. The torpedoes landed with a gentle ‘crumping’ sound that was immediately followed by an intense cacophony of noise as flame billowed up from the interior of the building. The walls collapsed inwards before the entire structure toppled over to one side to land amongst those who had managed to flee at the approach of the attacking Osk faction.

The Osk members at Kami’s side were screaming in pure joy with each act of destruction, but Kami had to resist the urge to flinch at the flyboys enthusiasm. With every building they knocked down in their mad revenge-fuelled assault she was calculating the cost and labor required to reconstruct the structures once they were firmly back in their hands.  If they managed to successfully regain the Locker she was praying that there would still be something standing in which to salvage. More than a few off-world assaults would be needed to provide the cash flow to give the Osk Company’s hometown a makeover that would make it passable at the very least.

“We haven’t won yet Kams,” Snipes had ceased his celebrating and was examining his second in command, “Worry about your facts and figures when we’ve scraped the last of the Paladin scum from the surface of this world.”

“Am I that obvious?” Kami pulled a face at her old friend, “I’ve been spending too much time with Deznim it seems.”

“Hey!” Deznim perked up at the implied insult despite his obviously exhausted condition, “You were playing with politics and figures long before I met you!”

“We need to get you to your throne,” Kami’s demeanor unexpectedly became serious as her train of thought shifted once again. Her gaze swept to the lopsided crown on Snipes head, “They need to see their king back in his proper place. We’ll direct the remaining forces from there.”

“Yes...” Snipes straightened, the others about him quietening as they sensed an impending decision. The Pirate King turned from Kami to address the remnants of the communications assault force, “We need to fight our way to the command center. I will accept the Paladin’s surrender there.”

“Surrender?” Kelvara snorted at Snipes choice of words, “They won’t surrender boss.”

Snipes shrugged his shoulders in response, “It seems I have been inspired by my politically correct friend here,” He tilted his head at Kami, “We will follow protocol. If they continue to fight we will destroy them to the last man. If they surrender I will receive them.”

“And then?” Kami knew the Pirate King was leaving a lot unsaid, testament to the bond the two had strengthened throughout their time in Osk. Snipes met her gaze again and his expression twisted to become almost ugly with the strength of the emotion playing across his face.

“Then I will kill them all, one by one. They gave us no quarter, so they shall receive none. All will die.”
|| Retired ||
------------------------

------------------------

Jegora
ComNet Veteran

Jegora

[VE-ARMY] 1st Leftenant
[VE-DJO] Initiate
[VE-ICS] Privateer Captain
[VE-NAVY] 2nd Lieutenant

Post Number:  1428
Total Posts:  2175
June 21, 2010 12:33:46 AM    View the profile of Jegora 
Jegora had seen far more than his fair share of combat over the years, but the melee he currently found himself in surpassed anything he had ever experienced. The group of pirates and smugglers under Tanus’ command had somehow managed to fight their way to the anti-air control station, and they had somehow managed to shut the Locker’s defense systems down in time for the Oskers left in orbit to launch a massive air assault, but now they were once again fighting for their lives. It hadn’t taken long for several squads of the heavily armored enemy soldiers to figure out what was going, and when they had they had attacked the control structure with a vengeance.

When the invaders launched their assault, they chose to forgo any projectile and energy weaponry they might have possessed, opting instead for a more savage approach. Using heavy warhammers and their signature gravlances, they charged the control room, apparently giving no thought to their own wellbeing. The pirates in the control room managed to kill a few of the crusaders as they approached, but all too soon they found the enemy at the door, and mere moments later they were inside the control room proper. It was then that the situation descended into bloody madness.

The crusaders were well trained, and brutally efficient. Their heavy armor, in combination with their savage close-range assault, virtually rendered firearms and blasters next to useless. Instead, the Oskers turned to their knives, and in some cases swords, to combat the enemy. And while all the pirates were unusually skilled with melee weapons, several individuals stood out from the group, both in terms of skill and savagery.

Tanus was one such individual. With a feral grin plastered onto his face and bloodlust in his eyes, the pirate lieutenant laid about with his massive warhammer, crushing armor and skulls alike. He was a mad man, always moving, always killing. It wasn’t long before he was surrounded by several of the enemy crusader’s, but it didn’t seem to bother him much; he went right on killing.

Garryll and Ron were equally skilled, knives in hand. They were more restrained than Tanus’ mad onslaught, but they were just as deadly, avoiding blows from the enemy soldiers that they couldn’t block, and slipping their wicked knives in between the heavy armor plates that all the crusaders wore, leaving their foes bleeding and dying. Where Tanus was dedicated to wrecking as much havoc as possibly, Garryll and Ron seemed content to use the confusion of the melee to their advantage.

And then, of course, there was Jegora himself. He had traded his blasters for the vibrosword he wore on his back, and his was a more restrained type of combat. He had held himself back from the battle for some time, only attacking when absolutely necessary, trying to judge the ebb and flow of the battle. Now, however, the time for watching was over, and he waded into the thick of the melee with an unnatural grace that belied his large size. He alone among the gathered combatants wore no armor, relying the expensive armorweave of his clothing to protect him. What he lost in protection he traded in speed, however, and against the heavily armored paladins, that proved to be vital.

The first crusader Jegora neared rushed him as soon as they made eye contact. He fell just as quickly, the phrik-reinforced blade of Jegora’s vibrosword literally melting the man’s helmet as it cleaved his head in two. Even as he killed that first crusader, Jegora’s sword was already moving again, knocking aside a blow from a second enemy soldier before he reversed direction and slipped the point of the blade back underneath the man’s helmet, laying his throat wide open. Blood poured out from the wound, covering the crusader’s chest plate in dark crimson, but Jegora didn’t see. He was already working on his next victim.

The battle raged, and Jegora soon lost track of time. He had no idea how long he had been doing battle with the crusaders, but he knew that he was fast reaching the limits of his considerable stamina. On some level he was surprised that the Osk men had held out for so long. When he considered the situation, however, he realized that the only reason that the pirates hadn’t yet been overrun was the fact that the crusaders had to funnel in through the doorway, allowing the privateers and smugglers to face them one at a time rather than all at once. It was a small mercy. Whenever one Crusader fell, another took his place. Bodies littered the floor, and they weren’t all enemies. Blood coated everything, and before long Jegora realized that the hardest part of fighting this particular battle was going to be finding sure footing amongst all the corpses.

For their part, the crusader’s seemed less eager to rush the pirates. After realizing that their savagery was going to be met on equal terms, they changed tactics, using their numbers and brute force to overwhelm the Oskers. They approached in pairs, or threesomes, or more, and attempted to single out certain individuals so that they could deal with them more effectively.

Tanus was one such person that the crusaders attempted to ambush during the course of the battle. Three or four of the heavily armored soldiers surrounded him, warhammers at the ready. Jegora caught Tanus’ gaze, and his bloodthirsty grin, before he too was surrounded by crusaders. Tearing his gaze away from the pirate lieutenant, Jegora focused in on his own predicament. 

Three crusaders approached Jegora slowly, tightening the noose. They had seen the big man fight, and his coldly efficient movements, the sheer skill and grace with which he wielded his sword, gave them pause. They were determined, however, to see Jegora dead, and so they advanced, warhammers at the ready.

Standing between the soldiers, his sword at his side, Jegora appeared utterly relaxed. His eyes were gray, stone hard and cold as ice. He stood completely still, waiting, watching, anticipating.  When the three soldiers began their assault, he exploded into motion, a virtual blur, his sword literally humming as it sliced through armor and flesh alike. And when the battle was over mere seconds later, three crusaders lay dead, and Jegora himself stood once again silent and relaxed. He took a quick second to survey his handiwork, and then moved on to his next target. This type of combat brought him no happiness, but there was definitely a cold kind of satisfaction in dealing with the invaders in such a personal, and visceral, manner.
Jegora Fal
Army Tactical Officer

TO/1LT Jegora/Stormtrooper Corps/Vast Empire Army/Vast Empire
[RCoD] [IH] [BC] [MRT] [EW1] [CoZ] [CCA] [DCE] [BoT] [ESC09] [AS-1] 

Initiate of the Dark Jedi Order
Captain of the Osk Company
Tanus Solvona
ComNet Member

Tanus Solvona

Post Number:  710
June 21, 2010 6:33:15 PM    View the profile of Tanus Solvona 
Their blood was thick on the air. He could smell it, through the scent of burning tibanna gas, gun smoke and burning flesh. It was on his tongue, burning hot like a smoky fire. Crusaders lay dead at Tanus’ feet as he made his way over their corpses, wading into the sea of armor and gravlances. A flurry of blows came from the heavily armored Crusader forces. Tanus blocked them all and feinted to the right, drawing out one of their number. The swing of his mace flew by Tanus’ head, blowing his hair to the side with breeze. He landed lightly on his back foot and swung his hammer down in a savage arc, smashing the Crusader’s skull under the force of the blow. In vengeance, the Crusaders struck out at Tanus. He calmly leapt backwards over their fallen comrade, righting himself with his hammer coming up to rest at his shoulder.

A fountain of blood followed by a scream and shouts from the armored horde caught his attention. Tanus looked over to his left, watching Jeg, his former commander-turned-wouldbe-pirate carving through the gleaming ranks of the Crusaders, washing them in the blood of their fallen comrades. The fountain of blood had reduced itself to little more than a babbling bloody brook, the source of the blood laying silent and minus one arm. He shifted his stance, using his blade to divert a gravity lance stroke aimed at his liver. Jeg turned to look at his assailant, glassy eyed as he shifted the blade, angling the lance point away from him towards the ground. With one upward slash, Jeg separated the man’s head from his shoulders. The corpse stumbled once then fell backwards into the former soldier’s comrades. They pushed the body off of them and continued their assault.

Garryll cackled as he drove his knife through the eyeslit of one of the Crusaders. The man screamed bloody murder as blood surged out of the visor. He fell to the ground, tearing at his helmet, trying to staunch the wound. The Blackjack SL made his way around the wounded fighter, taking on another target, dodging a dire hammer blow that dented the floor of the control room. As he was about to come up for another strike, a puff of smoke followed but a few muttered swears caught Tanus’ attention. Ron came up, driving the point of his blade between the slits in the Crusader’s bulky armor, piercing the ribcage. The man slumped over, not dead but soon to be. He clutched at his side as the life drained from. The two Oskers backed up, taking up a line with Tanus and Jeg. Behind them were the remaining freedom fighters liberated from the sewers. Their numbers were few to begin with, and they continued to dwindle.

“So,” Tanus said as he raised his hammer from his shoulder, letting the head fall into his empty left hand. “Any ideas on how to get out of here?”

“We could cut ourselves out of here,” Garryll suggested as he spun the knife on his index finger; the gap made by the pirates slowly started to fill back in with some very angry Crusaders. Jeg snorted in derision. Tanus looked sideways at his old comrade: Despite how he worked with the pirates, Jeg was still a soldier through and through. He was by the book, cold, hard and calculating. That was one of the few reasons why Tanus actually liked Jeg, and for that matter any of the other madmen he often associated with.

“If we try to cut our way out of here, we’ll be lucky to make ten feet out that door. We don’t have the numbers for a full repulse. I don’t even think Tanus is that crazy.”

“I wouldn’t know about that,” Ron said as he lit another cigarette. “His nickname is ‘The Warhammer’, Jeg. I don’t think madness and lunacy is too far out of his game plan.

Tanus chuckled as another Crusader charged him. He could feel the tug of the gravlance dragging him towards a grim demise. Tanus swung his hammer across his body, slamming the gravlance’s point away from him and causing the Crusader to stumble forward. Tanus drew his DT-57 and fired three point blank shots into the man’s sternum. They exited through his back, penetrating the armor is a haze of smoke and boiled blood. Tanus pushed the body off of him and holstered his pistol, taking in the scene with great pleasure. They had done their job. Now it was time to finish the buggers off.

“Does anyone have any det packs left?”

A few of the surviving freedom fighters responded with grunts and shouts of confirmation. Tanus then looked at the growing number of armored Crusaders. It’ll be tight, but I think we can do it. Tanus fell into a ready stance, daring the next man to come to him and die. For a brief second, there was calm, like the eye of a storm. Tanus issued his orders in that brief lapse.

“All right. We’ll hold them off for as long as you need to set those charges. When they’re set, blow the windows out. That’s our getaway. When we hit the ground, I want to see these bastards blown to kingdom come. I want to see armor raining from the sky. I want to see smoke and fire and blood and madness take these bastards back to their precious light source. Am I understood?”

In answer, Tanus could hear the sound of arming weapons and the sound of steel cutting through the air. The Warhammer smiled a feral grin.

“That’s just what I wanted to hear, gentlemen. Now, boys,” Tanus said as he looked sideways at his three closest comrades.

“Try to keep up.”

With one step, Tanus was halfway across the room, bringing the spike of his hammer down through the helm of a Crusader charging to meet him. He pulled the spike out just as he heard the scream of another Crusader, and the distinct sound of another limb hitting the floor; Jeg’s work. Garrryll and Ron worked in tandem like a pair of dancers, their surgically precise knife strikes tearing apart the Crusaders as if they were paper dolls. Tanus chanced a look back at the remaining fighters he had: Many of the charges were already set, and those that weren’t setting up the charges were providing fire support for the four fighting mad pirates of Osk Company. Another pair of Crusaders took a step towards the War hammer, their shoulders set to strike. Tanus only grinned and went straight to his hip, pulling a small black cylinder with a bronze hand guard.

Garryll and Ron both turned to look as they saw the bronze colored blade leap forth from the igniter on the lightfoil. All movement in the room stopped. All eyes turned to stare at Tanus, who only wore a feral grin with murder, fire and blood dancing in his eyes. The combat had taken him; now the animal came out to play. Jeg only chuckled.

“There’s one in every crowd.”

Tanus swung with his hammer, disarming the closest Crusader to him. As he fumbled for his weapon in the air, Tanus drove the lightfoil’s blade into the Crusader’s body, just under the armpit of his armor and into his lungs. The soldier hung there for a second, feeling the heat of 1,000 suns light up his body as his life drained away. Tanus pulled the blade out just in time to block a savage blow from a gravlance, landing with a solid kick to the chest of the Crusader, sending him sprawling back into his comrades. And just like that, a voice was heard from the back of the room:

“Charges are set, sir!”

Tanus looked back to the windows and computer terminals, then to the survivors and nodded. Time to go. The survivors turned on the windows and fully depressed the triggers on their weapons. Fully automatic blaster and projectile fire tore the windows to shreds in a wave of shards and steel. When the smoke cleared and the glass had settled, the survivors began to make their way through the windows. Tanus looked out the windows to see the survivors running down stairs leading into the street below. He looked to his comrades in arms, who were still geared to fight and kill for the Mad King. They all turned to look at Tanus, who only smiled at them and looked towards the windows. In a flash, all four were out the window, leaving their opponents dumbfounded and confused.

Tanus hit the metal walkway below the control room hard. He rolled off to the side to take some of the force off from the landing and looked up to see many Crusaders staring down at him. He could feel their malice and wrath boring into him like a drill. And he stared back, matching each of their gazes with wrath and malice of his own. They had taken his home away – and they were going to pay for it. Garryll came up next to Tanus and could only look at the hordes grilling them.

“Tanus, as fun as this is and has been, we need to go. Now.”

Tanus nodded and turned towards the stairs. Jeg and Ron were already waiting for them. When he got down there, Jeg looked up at the Crusaders, who had only now begun to fall back from the room.

“So, what are we gonna do about them? They’re going to try and get us to be sure.”

Tanus nodded with a grin. “Oh, absolutely. But ya see, that’s why we did this.”

Tanus turned to one of the freedom fighters that had survived.

“Hit it.”

The fighter pulled the detonator out of his pocket and looked up to the control room, his face beset by a grom look. Tanus knew that look; it was the look of a man who had watched his friends die and his home burned. It was the look a man wore when vengeance was to be carried out. The man pressed the button on the detonator. For a half second there was calm, and then in an instant, the world was rocked by a tremendous explosion. Bodies, computers, weapons and armor were blown out of the window as the walls split from the force of the explosion; the ground quaked as smoke and fire poured from the windows. Over the roar of the flames, Tanus could hear the screams of his enemies. It filled him with adrenaline, with vigor. As Tanus absorbed the moment, Jeg broke it with a throat clear. Tanus turned to stare at him.

“While this has been fun and all, Captain Light-Hammer, I really think we have other business to attend to. Such as aiding Fury and Snipes.”

Ron and Garryll nodded in agreement. Tanus started at Jeg with cold eyes, determination gripping every muscle in his body.

“Aye, you’re right. Gentlemen, it’s time we came to aid of our Mad King. It is time to repel these invaders once and for all. Let’s give them hell for the men and women of Osk-91, for the men and women we have lost.”

The group cheered as Garryll raised his hand in protest; Tanus turned to his Underthing.

“Yes, Garryll?”

“Do we even know where Snipes is?”

Tanus shrugged. “No, but he shouldn’t be that hard to find. Just follow the mad cackling.”

Jager
ComNet Member

Jager

[VE-ARMY] Gunnery Sergeant

Post Number:  544
Total Posts:  630
June 24, 2010 8:16:32 AM    View the profile of Jager 
Steel bulkheads began to rattle and moan as new life surged through the vessel. The console in front of him began to light with runes and symbols before him in piecemeal. The smell of burning ozone began to filter through the tight cabin as the rattling melded with the low purr of the atmospheric engines.

Then, without warning, the vessel died. The consoles went blank, the low hum ceased and the bulkheads let out a dull moan as the generators wound down, taking the environmental lighting with them. Darkness took hold. The 'Starchild' was dead.

For the longest moment he sat quietly. His cycloptic gaze peaked out between his fingers at the dark vid-screens before him. Within moments the idle-systems kicked back in, drenching the cabin in the pale red glow of the emergency lighting system. The vid-screens before him blinked and began to stream system error codes. The drive core had been crippled by a power surge, the atmospheric engines where operating at well below minimum capacity, navigation systems had been rendered all but useless thanks to corruption of the primary data-banks and to top it all off the main oxygen scrubbers had been decimated by a recent fire. Even if he could fix the problems, and he couldn't, there was little chance the vessel would break the atmosphere before tearing apart on its many repair seams.

Slowly he rose from the worn-leather of the pilots chair. With little more then a growl he slammed his augmented fist into the panels before him, before tearing the loosely bolted pilots chair from the floor plating and slamming it against the viewing port, causing a web of cracks to spread out from the main point of impact.

This was it. His only way off of Osk, and it was nothing more then a pile of rusted garbage.

They had razed everything else. Every scout craft, every merchant runner, everything. Everything but the Starchild. The moment he laid eyes on it he figured his luck was turning around, that perhaps the galaxy at large was finally doing him a favour. Instead it was just another trick, the latest in a long line of gags which had gotten stale decades ago.

With a heavy sigh he pulled the pilots chair back upright and took a seat. He knew what he would have to do. He'd known it for a while. He would have to fight. Fight another persons battle. A battle which he held no stake in, like every battle he'd ever fought. But what other choice was there? Stay aboard the ship and wait for the crusaders to win?

No. Not if he could help it.

Gently he swung the chair around to the cracked portal. The skyline of Osk lay before him. Pillars of thick, black smoke rose sporadically into the ashen sky. It was a city in its death troughs, its inhabitants throwing themselves at their aggressors in a last ditch attempt to break their hold. He could make out the dozens of assault craft that weaved their way across the rooftops. The oskers final gambit. He had just reached the landing pads when the first wave came down like a summer storm, their backs to the sun as their made their final approach but the shrill whine of their engines signalling their arrival. For a brief moment the city let out a cheer that drowned out the sound of the many brutal clashes both sides found themselves committed too. Radio chatter had picked up with it as well. Groups guiding bloated landers down into market squares and secure rooftops where they disgorged more bodies into the meat grinder.

The crusaders had reacted with the new arrival, beginning a street by street withdrawal to the spiritual heart of the city.

The command center. The pirate kings throne. The heart of the beast.

Thats where they where headed. Thats where he needed to be.

What little strategic importance the location held was magnified a thousand-fold by its symbolic nature. The city belonged to whoever held the throne. He didn't pretend to know Snipes, let alone understand him, but he knew thats exactly where he was headed. The man was far too symbolic for his own good, and the image of himself sitting upon that throne with the invaders on their knees before him would be fueling his gargantuan ego like coal in a furnace.

Of course, his very nature was both a blessing and a curse. Would he fall trying to retake it, then there would be nothing left of the city come morning. He surrounded himself with fanatics and simpletons who he eagerly threw forward onto the crusaders guns, effectively drowning them in his dead.

He was a madman, a tyrant of the worst kind. But he was his only ride out of here.

A terrible resolve began to smoulder within his stomach. It was the same resolve that powered him through the past few months, the same resolve that had seen him through all these years. It spurred him on, even though every inch of him acted with exhaustion. His joints ached with every movement, wounds and cuts that he had treated back at the camp had once again begun to burn under their dirty bandages. He felt as though he would collapse at any moment. But still his resolve held out, propelling him onwards like an automaton.

His augmented hand drifted across the shattered control terminal infront of him, searching for a link to the ships communications array, one of the only aspects of the vessel not in disrepair. His fingers danced across activation runes as the small array scanned for any open frequencies. Static laden communications between the assault vessels blanketed much of the activity, mixed in with the weak, frantic signals of some of the more organised mercenary groups that roamed the city. Panicked cries for reinforcements flooded the cabin as he stumbled upon an unencrypted crusader channel. A dozen strong group had begun a last stand in an old storage shed on the outskirts of the city. Another was a the final cry of one of the assault craft that had taken a hit from an mounted cannon. His search continued without hesitation.

It was then he picked it up. An archaic language, fluently spoken and completely alien to his ears flooded the cabin. It was spoken like a sermon he'd once heard in his youth from a faith he couldn't quite recall. His hand rested above the panel, frozen in curiosity at what he was hearing. Without warning it the speaker began speaking in a form of high-galactic basic, a dialect he could understand with the accent that rang like a regal dignitary from the core worlds.

'Let them come in their dozens, let them fall before us. Though they seem without number, they are still flesh and bone, they are still weak while we, the just, the pure, are strong. Suffer not their presence and let them not say we were found to be wanting! Stand with me now, Brothers and Sisters. Stand with me and we shall hold our ground against this beast and his kin. Show them the strength of our faith, our unity and of our steel!"

He snorted as the message cut back to more of the archaic tongue, this time accompanied by what sounded like a choir in the background. The last stand of the invaders, their last cry of defiance against their aggressors. It was like an undercity pit match. Two creatures, half crazed with fear, adrenaline pulsing through their veins from the wounds inflicted on them, wounds that would see them dead in a matter of minutes, but still waiting to pounce on each other and deliver the killing blow.

The array finally found what he was looking for. It was the clearest of the channels used by the pirates. Its speaker, a gruff but assertive female, sounded for all available arms to muster for a final push towards the throne. 'For the King and for Osk!' she announced at the end of each loop. Again his fingers danced across the terminals surface, triangulating the transmissions location. Instinct told him thats where he would find Snipes, at the spearhead to the final assault. All he had to do was get there before the party was over.

OOC:
Barely edited, but what else is new.
Scout/Heavy weapon specailist

http://www.vastempire.com/wiki/index.php?title=Jager_Luth
Gunnery Sergeant J. Luth/Echelon/STC Academy/Tadath/VEA/VE
Kami
ComNet Marshal

Kami

[VE-ARMY] 2nd Lieutenant
[VE-ICS] Pirate Overseer

Post Number:  1494
July 2, 2010 10:56:46 PM    View the profile of Kami 
Thousands upon thousands swarmed towards the Pirate King’s throne room, cascading into and through each other in a cacophony of violent noise broken here and there by the groans of the dying and the shrieks of the wounded. Here and there patches of gleaming silver, the ranks of the resilient Paladin forces, made their way slowly yet surely through the patchy rabble of the Osk Company pirates leaving only bright red pools of intermingled blood in their wake. They would not falter in their divine task despite the increased vigor of the Osker’s assault. Their god had declared that his servants cleanse this world in which to make his own. Who were they to question the divine will of their cherished almighty? It would be death or victory for the metallic knights. Either way they would find redemption.

Kami watched the Paladins decimate another wave of Osk Company members, roused from their captivity by the assault led by Pirate King’s assault force. Even more of her brethren had cast off their chains and rebelled following news that Fury and the other Captains had joined the fray. It had seemed a suicidal task until the arrival of the Osk pilots bare minutes ago and yet still, the odds appeared to be set against them.  Wives and children died alongside gamblers and mercenaries, weapon smiths and merchants alongside lunatics and smugglers. Osk did not discriminate against its members and as such a uniquely diverse collection of individuals fell before the unyielding strength of the Paladin’s might to die beneath the feet of others. Despite the validity of their cause in reclaiming their homeworld....Kami despaired for the first time since beginning the fight that this awful loss was not worth such a symbolic badge of pride.

“Stand strong!”

The mad Pirate King, their savior and destructor, stood on a mound of crushed bodies a few meters away from her. His head was held high despite the carnage about and beneath him, his eyes seeming to glow beneath a mane of dark hair dripping with blood, “To me! Come to your King!”

The Osk members roared in response to his words, cascading forward to bolster the faltering line of pirates. In spite of her earlier desolation Kami found herself roaring along with them, charging to meet yet another Paladin soldier in close combat. Her pair of long Kuati blades locked unrelentingly against the Paladin’s lance as it swung down to remove her head from her shoulders. With an animalistic cry she span beneath its heavy weight and brought one blade swiftly underneath and across the Paladin’s exposed face. The man cried out as the pinpoint sharp edge tore into delicate flesh, tearing away the skin to reveal of mash of raw bloodied muscle and the white gleam of bone.  He fell gurgling to the soil and immediately became yet another obstacle for those survivors to clamber across in pursuit of their goal.

“Kami!”

She span, her green gaze impossibly wide, her gleaming white teeth bared in an open snarl as she sought out the newest threat to her being.  Recognition dawned only as she brought her blades about and before her to attack, and she hesitated as the owner of the voice strode confidently towards her.

“It’s about bloody time,” Tanus rested a hand heavily on her shoulder in way of greeting. The Osk Lieutenant was similarly clad in a bizarre blood streaked ensemble, the remnants of several unfortunate Paladin soldiers caked across the breadth of his large hammer, “Lines are breaking all over. The bastards are reforming and consolidating their position. Soon they’ll be in a position to push us back.”

Kami looked over the Warhammer’s shoulder to perceive Garryl, Ron and Jegora at his back, still alive though resembling more creatures of nightmare than a group of comrades. With a slight shake of her head she forced herself to focus on Tanus’s words, “If we move Snipes any further forward they’ll converge on us. They’re more than aware of his relevance. They won’t let him breach the command centre.”

“We have no other choice.” The first dregs of frustration crept into Tanus’s voice, “Either we die here or we die fighting towards the throne. There’s no going back and trying over.”

Kami glanced sidewards at Snipes, her voice barely more than a whisper as she replied, “You're right. We can't go back."

“There’s no finer group of people with which I would be honored to die,” Tanus’s grim expression gave way to a sardonic smirk, “And no enemy that I would rather die fighting.”

“Aye.” Jegora nodded, “Fanatics deserve a special place amongst the ranks of the damned.”

“Are we much better?” Kami felt dazed, her vision still torn between the violent scenes about and before her, “Do we not ask the same sacrifice given by the Paladins?”

Tanus lowered his head to look his companion in the eyes, “Did you get a lance to the head Kams?”

She shook her head at his concerned inquiry, attempting and succeeding at once again focusing her thoughts, “A few...I’m fine.” She straightened and pulled in a deep breath of the smoke tinged air. Reflection and commiserations were for after the battle. For now she had yet another job to finish, “He won’t stay back from the front line. We’ll have to be right there with him or his head will roll five seconds in.”

“We’re ready.” Garryll answered for the group, resting his large flamethrower resting on one shoulder.

“I am as well.”

Jager stood forward from the heaving mass of bodies, his predatory gaze flicking between Kami and Tanus before focusing on where the Pirate King was still fighting atop his mound.

Kami opened her mouth to question the renegade’s motives but stopped herself immediately. A fighter was a fighter. And now, in the final charge, she had no time to be fussy. Together the small group turned as one and moved towards their King’s position, the crowd subconsciously parting for them as they went. As they reached the base of the mound Snipes finally noticed them and paused mid-strike. Two pirates at his back stood forward to finish off the kill as the King pulled a deep swig from his bottle and grinned down at his most senior Captains and trusted aides,

“Are we off then?”

Tanus nodded and matched his grin, whilst Kami simply declined her head at his side. About them the remaining Osk members cried out once again, their weapons stretching into the sky in salute as they turned to face the direction of the throne.

“Then onwards!” Snipes capered down the mound and took his position at the head of the immense column. Before them the Paladins milled about in frenzied haste to deploy a defensive formation to prevent the Pirates from reaching the heart of the Locker. It was no longer a question of tactics, nor cause, but of skill and luck. A few hundred meters away lay the simple structure that would end the bloodshed and determine the victor.  It was a deathly parody of musical chairs with the continued survival of Kami and her friends as the stakes.

The gods, Paladin or not, had favored Osk Company thus far. Kami paused to offer a fleeting prayer to those watching that this trend would continue for the next few minutes, and that somehow, they would make it out of this madness.
|| Retired ||
------------------------

------------------------

[This message has been edited by Kami (edited July 2, 2010 10:57:49 PM)]
[This message has been edited by Kami (edited July 2, 2010 10:59:39 PM)]
[This message has been edited by Kami (edited July 2, 2010 11:02:14 PM)]
Sniping101
ComNet Marshal

Sniping101

[VE-ARMY] First Sergeant
[VE-ICS] Pirate Lord
[VE-VEEC] Journalist

Post Number:  3800
July 9, 2010 4:53:23 PM    View the profile of Sniping101 
Snipes body was caked in blood and filth, his muscles screamed for release, long ago his hair had fallen from it's pony tail, dripping with blood it draped around his face, his clothes were tattered and barely held together, his wounds burned, burned with a fury he had not felt in a long time. This was a battle.

He grinned, more like an animal than ever before as he quickened the pace to a trot, then a sprint. Falling into the Crusader lines, his twin pistols howling in rage as the rounds flew from them, knocking back armored men with each round, some part of him hidden behind the mane of blood black hair counted the rounds, 4, 3, 2, 1,. The slides of the weapons locked back and he tossed them to the side, he howled, pulling the Thunder God from his right leg and the cutlass from his left.

Around him his beloved group of misfits screamed their battle cries, and many their last as dozens threw themselves onto lances and swords. The Crusaders shouted, but gave each step only grudgingly, only when the mass of bodies and feral men could not be held, as many of them fell beneath the onslaught.

Tanus' great warhammer carved a path, took him further into the lines; Snipes drove his shotgun into a paladin helmet, firing before Kami was infront of him, nimbly darting into a Crusader trying to take Snipes head, her knife quickly lashing out, she turned her head to him, but only for him to shoulder past her and slash out with the rusted cutlass as another Crusader fell on them. Then they were back to back, Snipes shotgun living to it's name, it's thunderous cry spelling doom for four more crusaders before it was empty. Kami kept with him as he shouldered his way into their midst, Jager was there, somewhere, but it was too much to concentrate on anything but the lances stabbing towards him, it was fast, frenzied. Snipes had resorted to his last pistol, his Frontier Model B, but there was no way to tell how many more they needed to charge through.

The Paladin B'Luk gripped the great hammer tighter, his jaw clenching, from the doorway of the abominations command center he could see his lines breaking. Blood ran down the haft of the hammer and dripped from the head to his white tabard. In his entire life he had never seen Chosen run, or driven mad, he had killed them himself.

Some men had been found cowering in corners, crying and raving, others had simply dropped their weapons and run. He tightened his fist even more. He was no longer a young man, but the weapon that towered over him had seen much use in his younger days, perhaps it should again.

“Lieutenant, bring up any reserves we have,”

The sweaty man just looked to him, “There are no more, everyone not here is either dead or soon to be, m'Lord.”

The Paladin growled and rubbed his throat, the cybernetic larynx irritated him, and it seemed to ache more with the demons so close, closing in. Perhaps he would not survive, but at the very least he would see to it that none of the beasts survived either.

“We have to push through, we have to do it now or never!” Snipes yelled, slashing out with the cutlass again, still held blade down in his left.

“I KNOW!” Kami yelled through gritted teeth.

“Tanus, Kelevra, I need a path?!”

“S're t'ing” Kelevra shouted, reduced now to a pilfered Crusader sword.

“Working on it,” Tanus' teeth were gritted as well, they were all nearing their limit, even Snipes.

Tanus found his way in front of Snipes, sending Crusaders to the grave with each swing of his warhammer, but not with the power he'd had earlier, they no longer flew from it, just fell with a crunch. Flames lept around them as someone expelled the last of their flamethrower before chucking it to the ground, Jergora danced among the enemies, cold and quickly. Snipes snorted to himself, he'd never had much love for melee weapons and now he was being saved by them.

Snipes took the advantage and raised his weapons, “For rum and revenge!”

Rallying all he could to him he darted into the Crusaders, not trying to kill all of them, just move past them, blocking and slicing with his cutlass, firing with the pistol, but always pushing through and darting around those he could, in short time he'd left the rest behind as they tied up the Crusader soldiers, he finally broke free of their ranks.

The doorway was blocked to him by a lone figure, the twisted iron cross around it's neck said everything that needed to be said and Snipes sprinted to meet it, as he neared it moved, mechanically almost, the whirring of prosthetic limbs deafened by the din and cry of battle, Snipes was within a pace of it as it swung the hammer, a full head taller than it, overhead and brought it down with a crash. Snipes cutlass and forearm blocking it at the handle, Snipes smiled, bringing his pistol to it's heart he winked and pulled the trigger.

The shape fell backward into the room and Snipes was upon it, shedding his weapons he grabbed the man by the breastplate and lifted him, his cowl fell away to reveal a face ravaged by age, wrinkled loose where it wasn't augmented by cybernetics, Snipes didn't care, tossing it into a console. It was the last of the adrenaline, soon he would not be able to hold himself upright, he was going to be fast, he flew upon the man before he'd even settled, wrapping his hands around the skull and squeezing.

Squeezing, harder and harder, the man threw his fists into Snipes, sunk a dagger into his belly and tried to pull the crushing grip away, but Snipes was not to be denied, he was losing blood fast and he knew it, he had to finish it, and then there was a crunch of bone and a horrific, half electronic scream before the Paladin went limp and began convulsing.

Snipes stood up, then, noticing the dagger imbedded in him for the first time, he grimaced and pulled it from his body, tossing it aside, he was taken by a fit of coughing, blood poured through from his mouth, he didn't even bother wiping it away, he seemed to vaguely remember some part of his military training telling him you weren't supposed to remove anything you'd been stabbed with. He didn't care, he wasn't a dog anymore.

Snipes turned back to the battle, clutching his stomach with one arm. He didn't know what he was expecting to see, he watched in detachment as the Oskers pushed through the Crusaders, making a narrow corridor through their lines. As soon as it opened Oskers poured forward, Snipes even recognized a few of the blue and gray pirates that could only be crew of Corellian Hound. Reinforcements. Luck. Luck was more important than anyone gave it credit for.

The Pirate King leaned on the doorjamb with his right as he watched it unfold, as he watched explosions shake the very foundations of The Locker, as he watched Crusader bodies fly and fall and scream. The first through the gap were Kami and Tanus, quickly with him, Kami was shooting questions at him, she seemed worried, Tanus stared at him with an unreadable expression. Snipes couldn't concentrate on them, he couldn't even notice them.

Kelevra finally burst through, waving a gnarled hand in the air in greeting, Snipes did the best he could to return the gesture, smiling. Smiling still as a Crusader lance ripped through the mans chest, before Snipes face could even finish contorting the last three Laughing Bastards swarmed the offending Crusader ripping him apart.

Snipes gasped, more blood poring from his mouth, Kami and Tanus both moved to him. Snipes tried to step away from the door frame and nearly fell, Kami caught him first, being closer. Snipes groaned, he hated having to be helped.

“You need to rest.”

“I need to walk.” Snipes growled back.

Kami opened her mouth as though to say something, but Tanus just nodded and grabbed Snipes other arm, wrapping it around his neck, together the three of them made their way, at Snipes direction, to where Kelevra was being tended by the last remaining Laughing Bastard. Snipes knelt beside him, the cracked monocle had fallen from his eye and he cast an gaze about that didn't seem to see anything.

Snipes reached down and clasped the mans hand in a familiar symbol of brotherhood.

“Boss, dat you?”

“Yeah, it's me,” Snipes rasped, pulling one of the mans cigarras from his jacket, lighting it and placing it in his mouth.

“Guess it t'was a goo' d'y t' die.” Kelevra smiled.

“We'll sing songs about it, my friend.”

Kelevra coughed violently, “If we died, it means we fought our hardest, right, it means we fought to the end.”

“Yes, it does.”

“Goo', I alw'ys wanna'd die wif a sm'le on me face.” He smiled, exhaled one last time, and then was gone.

Snipes remained, kneeling there for another minute, as the battle continued, dieing and ebbing up again, he took just another moment before standing, aided by his two Lieutenants, a few sparse tears made tracks down the dirt and blood covering his face as he let them lead him back to the command center, back to his throne.
{Comnet Hermit}
VE Smoker Association
"Duty is heavier than a moutain. Death, light as a feather."

Kami
ComNet Marshal

Kami

[VE-ARMY] 2nd Lieutenant
[VE-ICS] Pirate Overseer

Post Number:  1508
July 12, 2010 9:23:40 AM    View the profile of Kami 
The rain came steadily down in a shifting, grey curtain that swept steadily across the ravaged landscape of Osk91. It pooled in the gullies and rivets torn into the soil by projectiles, eventually overrunning the boundaries of those unnatural features and sweeping downhill to the ever growing basin sitting just on the outskirts on the Locker. Along the way it traversed over the thousands of bodies littering the vista, pulling some along with its flow, leaving others to roll along steadily in a contorted fashion in its wake.

Kami watched the lake fill from her position within the Command Center of the Locker, her astute gaze noting the soiled film to the water’s composition. The blood and grime of the battle was tainting the relatively pure substance as it fell from the heavens to begin its cycle on land.

“It’s awfully symbolic isn’t it?” Deznim was standing at her side, leaning heavily against the viewport as he too looked out over the scene, “Even the rain cannot erase the memory of what has happened here.”

Kami’s bright green eyes narrowed as she considered her friend’s words. She did not doubt that any still standing on the planet would be able to forget the nightmare of the last few months, even if they would want too. The atrocities committed by the Paladin’s in their attempted coup of the Osk Company would leave long reaching physical and mental scars on the survivors and their families, to the extent that they would struggle to return to a semblance of their normal lives. Additionally the Osk Company and VE IC members that had led the attack to reclaim the planet would be similarly scarred. It had been a long and ferocious battle, bloody beyond any that Kami had experienced in her long service within the VE military. Combat on home soil brought a plethora of emotion into the equation that had seen a degree of savagery emerge on both sides that had shocked her to the very core.

“Sharpe.”

An overweight Captain bearing a heavy beard abruptly came up to her side, three men at his back dragging a chained figure up before the Osk Lieutenant. The Captain paused to wipe the thick sludge dripping steadily from his hair into his eyes before gesturing to his prisoner, “Tanus said to bring this one in to you. He’s middle ranked as far as we can figure. Then again, the bastards have a bloody stupid system in place. He reckons he’s an Inquisitor.”

Kami glanced briefly at the captive who hung limply in the grip of the burly pirates. The Paladin glared back at her with obvious hatred in his eyes, seemingly oblivious to the blood cascading from the numerous wounds visible about his armored form.

He was one of dozens who had been coming in over the last few hours as the remaining Osk forces, led by Tanus and Fury, continued to hassle the retreating Paladin forces. The last report she had received placed the Paladin’s far beyond the boundaries of the Locker, a good sign in that their position was secure and the throne was safe, yet disheartening in the fact that Paladin air support had rallied to their trapped brethren. Even as Kami regarded the lone Paladin before her, hundreds of his comrades escaped the wrath of Osk Company as transports took advantage of lagging air superiority to maneuver into the atmosphere and whisk their men safely away. Osk and the IC forces were simply spread too thin to effectively halt the Paladin withdrawal.  Every soldier that managed to flee now exponentially increased the chance of a reprisal in the future.

The only victory is a decisive victory.

Kami resisted the urge to grimace as her long dead father’s voice echoed in her head. It had been one of the first rules of war taught to her, and it had held true throughout the years that had led her to this exact moment. Despite all of the Company’s astounding success so far, without the complete elimination of such a relentless enemy she was more than aware that the Paladins would continue to be an issue for Osk.

“Whore.” The Inquisitor spat the word at Kami, his gaze tracking up over her heavy boots, her leggings and her tank top to her face, “You spread your legs for the damned and damned you are for your filthy transgressions.” He pulled himself up in his chains, bloodied spittle flying from his mouth as his voice rose to a high-pitched screech of fury, “Your demon spawned children will burn in the righteous fire of the almighty. Their flesh will peel and their bones will shatter to reveal their tainted souls, and you will witness their deaths a thousand times over as the cherished enacts his vengeance.”

Kami’s jaw clenched at the obscene display. She flicked abruptly cold eyes to the pirate Captain, “Shut him up.” She told him through gritted teeth, “Now.”

The Captain nodded at his men and two immediately lashed out with the butts of their rifles, smashing the unyielding metal into the Paladin’s exposed face. The Paladin cried out under the blows and momentarily buckled, hanging from his wrists.

“This is ridiculous,” Kami murmured to Deznim as she turned to move away, “They’re all the same.”

“Whore!” The scream at her back caused Kami to hesitate mid-step. The Paladin rose up beneath the continued blows of the pirates, an animalistic roar breaking free of his throat as he did so. The pirates redoubled their efforts, tearing mercilessly away at their captive in an attempt to knock him down, yet the Inquisitor refused to crumble, his wild gaze still locked onto Kami, “My god reserves a special place for hell spawned sluts!”

Kami stilled dangerously, “That is enough.”

Her first and only shot hit the Inquisitor directly in the forehead, drilling through yielding tissue to spatter brain matter all over the wall at his back. The Paladin’s mouth dropped open in an expression of pure shock before his large form slid sidewards to collapse completely in a growing pool of dark red blood.

Deznim sighed, the sound emerging as a soft whistle through his beaked nose.

Kami shot her Ryn companion a dark look as she re-holstered her blaster, “Not...one...word.”

Deznim raised both hands before him at her rare display of anger, “As far as you’re concerned, I’ve gone mute.”

With a growl of pure frustration emerging from somewhere deep in her throat, Kami span about and stormed from the main room towards the adjacent chamber that held Snipes throne. The narrow area was almost completely empty save for the elaborate structure resting on a raised platform facing out towards the rest of the command center. Upon the decorative throne Snipes was slumped, a single medic and droid aide at his side. The Pirate King had refused any but the most basic of treatments, and as such blood was still visible through the white bandages wrapped about his upper body. He looked up as Kami approached, waving the rum bottle still in his hand in her direction,

“News?”

“Not good,” Kami replied immediately, sparing any elaboration, “There’s still pockets of resistance about the Locker but the majority of the Paladin forces have made it onto the plains. Fury can’t keep all of them from breaking through. They’re getting away.”

Snipes snorted, seemingly in amusement as he regarded Kami with dull eyes, “Why aren’t you out there chasing them then?”

“Because you!” Kami snarled at him, jabbing a finger at his face, “Are being a goddam arse! Someone has to stick around here and make decisions without having their wits addled by severe blood loss!”

Snipes laughed again at the outburst, “Think this...is the most riled up I’ve ever seen you Kams.”

Kami’s expression softened as she regarded her friend, “Just let them dose you up with some painkillers Snipes. And get off that moronic throne. You need surgery. Sooner rather than later.”

“No,” Snipes pulled himself up straighter on the throne, slamming his bottle of rum down on an armrest to steady himself, “I’m not moving until they surrender.”

“You killed their leader Snipes!” Kami countered, “Who do you want to surrender to you?”

“Someone,” Snipes replied stubbornly, adjusting his crown with his spare hand, “Find someone.”

Kami cast her hands up in the air, “Gargh, damnit Snipes!” With another growl she span back around and swept back into the main chamber of the command center.

“You,” She halted next to a pirate manning the communications console, “Get me on to Tanus. Or Fury. And if you can’t get them get the closest ranking individual.” Her green gaze flicked back to the swirling storm clouds clambering above the Locker, “I need a leader...a General....or something. Just tell them to get me a scapegoat to stop this sithspawned war.”
|| Retired ||
------------------------

------------------------

[This message has been edited by Kami (edited July 12, 2010 7:00:30 PM)]
ComNet > The Osk Company > Archived Tall Tales > You Must Be Quick To Best The Devil (Abraxas)  |  New Posts    
  Pages:  [ 1 2 ]   

All times are CST. The time now is 5:55:09 PM
Comnet Jump:

Current Online Members - 0  |  Guests - 200  |  Bots - 1

< Contact Us - The Vast Empire >