Trykon

[VE-DJO] Dark Jedi Warrior
[VE-NAVY] Rear Admiral

Post Number:  3539
Total Posts:  3784
  RE: Chapter 9: Navy Part 1: Arrival
December 23, 2013 2:07:06 AM    View the profile of Trykon 
“Tell me what you see, Damon.”

Trykon’s voice was mild as he spoke - encouraging, even - and yet Damon Woods could not help but infer malice in the invitation.  Experience had taught him to heed the unvoiced warnings in the instructions given by superiors in the Dark Jedi Order.  He knew the danger of giving an incomplete or otherwise unsatisfactory answer to his master.

So the younger Jedi stared at the tactical hologram in Admiral Trykon’s private suite for another minute, taking in every detail he could before offering an answer to his master’s prompt.

Frustratingly, there wasn’t really a lot Damon could see, on the hologram.  The Second and Fourteenth Fleets had engaged the Corellian Defense Fleet task force in orbit of Soronia, that much was clear, but the extreme distance and interference from the Centerpoint Station Barrier made the details of the developing battle all but indiscernible: the holo shuddered often, and individual icons blinked in and out of existence as the Adjudicator’s Sensors technicians fought through the technical challenges in their quest to keep the battle map up-to-date in real time.  Damon could see the two Corellian defensive stations, several clicks away from the Adjudicator’s position.  He could see the small ice planet behind the Golan Stations, too.  But to his untrained eye, the battle raging in the space around the stations was nothing but a blur of icons, both friendly and enemy, swirling in incomprehensible patterns of blazing light and kaleidoscopic color.

He took a deep breath, and let his eyes flit to and fro one last time, in a final appraising glance.  “We’re going to win,” he said with artificial confidence.  It seemed likely that the Vast Empire would win, but who knew what answer Trykon wanted to hear?

The Admiral did not immediately respond.  Damon watched as one of the Kuati’s eyebrows twitching up momentarily, but then the slightly older Jedi resumed his quiet staring, with his aquiline features shaped into a hard-to-read, almost bemused-looking expression.

Why is he looking at me like that? Damon wondered, a bead of sweat tracing its way down his forehead.  His eyes flitted back to the hologram.  The Vast Imperials were encountering resistance, it was obvious, but they would win the battle.  Wouldn’t they?

Even as Damon had the thought, he was surprised to see a smile blossom on Trykon’s face.  “Of course we’re going to win,” the Admiral said, chuckling.  He shook his head as if amused, and then abruptly started to frown.  “You are so worried about what I’m going to think of you that you aren’t thinking clearly.  Look at this, Damon!” Trykon continued, sweeping one arm behind himself to indicate the tactical holo.  “Even to a civilian, it should be clear that we hold the advantage of numbers.  The outcome of this engagement is not in doubt.  Come on!  I asked what it is that you see when you look at this!”

The sudden intensity in his master’s voice was worrying.  Damon focused again on the hologram, and suddenly, insight came.  “Soronia is a worthless, icy rock,” he began tentatively.

“Indeed.”

Damon resisted the nervous urge to bite his lower lip - barely - before going on.  “So, it’s interesting that the Corellians would tow two Golan platforms to the very edge of their star system - an operation that must have taken a long time to coordinate - just to defend a worthless rock.”

“Very interesting,” Trykon agreed.  His stare was unrelenting.

“So,” Damon continued, now sure Trykon wanted more analysis, “they must be worried an invading power could use the planet as a base: a beachhead for further incursion into the system.”

“Yes.”

“We’re lucky the second platform is not yet operational.  The combined firepower would be difficult to overcome without losing capital ships of our own.”

“Very good.  Capital ships,” Trykon murmured, his grey-green eyes flashing at the term.

“The Corellians plan a defense in depth,” Damon continued, encouraged.  “Make us suffer for every inch of territory we take from them in the system.  They hope to cripple our Star Destroyers and larger support craft early, so that our supplies and reinforcements can be destroyed by their corvettes and starfighters at will.”

The Admiral’s smile was back.  Damon’s chest swelled with pride.  “Anything else?” Trykon asked with a challenging grin.

The hologram was still flickering.  “The Barrier is not just larger than we’d anticipated, it’s also interfering with our scanners somehow.  If they’ve planned a defense in depth with multiple layers of traps, we’re not going to be able to detect the ambushes before we’re already under their guns.  What do I see, master?  I see a battle we’ll win, but I see a campaign that will be much more hard fought than we were expecting.  A hostile theater of operations where effective scouting and relay communications will mean the difference between victory and total destruction.”

“Funny,” Trykon said dryly, “that’s exactly what I see, too.”

OOC:
842 words.

AAR: Wyl Trykon asks Damon Woods to analyze this initial skirmish with the Corellians.  After some prompts, Woods realizes that the Corellians will be a mroe difficult foe than the Vast Empire was perhaps expecting.  Although this first battle will likely end in Vast Imperial victory, Trykon is already worried about protecting the VE's Star Destroyers and larger ships during the campaign... for it's clear that if those ships are lost, the entire campaign will fail.
Naval High Command
CNO/Rear Admiral Trykon/NHC/VEN/VE

Second Vast Imperial Fleet
SCAP/RADM Wyl "Trick" Trykon/ISD Adjudicator/TF:A/3Flt/FC/VEN/VE

Decorations
[*IG*][*AO*][WM0][HNS][1NS][2NS][LSM][BWC][SWC][GWC][CC:4][CNQST]
[NSM][E][NAR][NDM][MSMx2][SoA][CoB.][VC:B][VC:S][VC:G][VC:E][SoV][LoM][DSM][NC][IGC]

(=*AE*=)(=*SAE*=)(=*TG*=)(=*SCFE*=)(=*FOCE*=)

SM/DWR Trykon/Dark Jedi/Shades/Raven L-04/DJO/VE [EoP]
Slasher
ComNet Member

Slasher

[VE-NAVY] Lieutenant Commander

Post Number:  911
Total Posts:  1054
December 23, 2013 7:07:26 PM    View the profile of Slasher 
==3 Days Prior==
Rorran Gorma looks around the mess deck of the Correllian Carrier Illitarate as he takes his food to a nearby table. The Illitarate was a second-line carrier in the Correllian Defense Force. Being retired career military man, Rorran felt perfectly at home aboard the warship, much more so than the assorted part-timers who made up the majority of this ship's militia contingent. Although the specifics of his prior service were not known to most of those with whom Rorran served, they did know the level of experience which he had, and it afforded him a great deal of respect from his fellow pilots.

“So Ror, do you think that anything interesting is going to happen this patrol?” asks Iltar, one of the part-timers on his first tour of duty as a member of the militia, “It seems kind of odd for the Defense Force to place a task force this far out in the system, especially with two Golans. There is absolutely nothing out here of any worth.”

With a sigh Rorran resigns himself to explaining some of the intricacies of military strategy to a man who 80% of the year was a stock clerk at a store on one of the planets in the system, “Well you see Iltar, although there is nothing on the planet which appears to be of value, the biggest commodity which that planet has to offer is space.” he grabs a couple of artificial sweetener packets from their holder on the table, and lays them out in a rough approximation of the Correllian system, but leaving off the one that would represent Soronia for the time being. “If a force wishes to invade a system, they normally would have to bring everything they would need for the attack of the planets with them, and any ships which needed repairs, or resupply convoys, would have to come from their base of operations into the system, and then be delivered into the combat zone under fire. Which would lead to a higher rate of losses in men and materiel for the invading force.” He inserts the packet representing Soronia, and continues. “One of the Problems our system has for us defensively, is that we have the barren planet Soronia close to the edge of the system, since there are no residents, it provides the perfect location for an invading force to set up, and use this as a base of operations within the system, allowing them to shorten their supply lines during their campaign of the system. So although the planet has very little to offer us, it has a lot to offer those who would wish to invade our system. ”

Iltar's eyes had glazed over at some point, and it was pretty obvious that he had stopped listening at some point, so Rorran put a little extra emphasis on his next words to bring the young man back, “So that Iltar, is why we are out here, with two Golan platforms, patrolling around a barren rock.”

“If you say so, Ror, still seems like a waste of time to me,” and with that Iltar got up, and left, probably heading back to his quarters to write more love letters to his girl back home, Rorran mused.

Soon after Iltar left his place at the table was taken by Ralt, Quinn, and Pronat, Wrench 10, 11, and 12 respectively, Rorran himself was Wrench 9, the flight leader, a post he had earned by virtue of his flying capability, not as much of a feat as it may sound in a squadron where the first run through the simulators more than half the squadron had crashed their fighters before they had managed to join up in formation. Ralt, Quinn, and Pronat had been the worst of the pilots, which was why they had been given to him when they joined up three months ago, it had taken almost two months, but they were all passable pilots now, and each had earned roughly half a dozen kills in the simulators.

“So how do things look Lead? I know they posted us out here for a reason, you think that someone will actually try to invade the system?”

Rorran looks around carefully to make sure that no one is listening in before he responds to the question of the three imperial loyalists that had ended up as his wingmen. “When I was serving with the Vast Empire Navy, I know we did have a plan in the works that involved the invasion of this system, I do not know if the time table has been changed on it at all, but I know the goal was to launch it within a window of time that includes this tour, so it is very possible that we could end up engaging the Vast Empire, and be given an opportunity possibly to join them.”

==Near Past==

The klaxons sounding within the Illitarate woke Rorran up, and he bolted upright and grabbed his flight suit, heading toward the flight deck with the rest of his squadron as he pulls on his flight suit.

“What's going on?” he yells to the squadron commander as they run toward their A-9s,

“A large fleet of ships has come into range, it appears to be a force of Vast Empire Navy ships, several Star Destroyers and assorted other vessels, we have been told to return to the line with all possible speed, hell of a time for the ship to be out on a patrol. We should be within range in a couple minutes, the rest of the task force is already engaged, although they are taking some heavy losses against the VE fighters, which appear to be equipped with shields.

“Good thing we have the heavy cannons then huh?” comments Iltar

==Present==

“All wings report in,” orders Wrench 1,

“Wrench 11 standing by”

“Wrench 3 standing by”

“Wrench 12 standing by”

Rorran waits as the rest of the squadron reports in, and finally brings up the rear,

“Wrench 9 standing by”

“All right guys, keep formation, lets go get these bastards.”

==Jexxel 5==
Maroy noticed the new squadron of fighters heading their way, and quickly gives everyone else the heads up, “Looks like we have another squadron of A-9s heading this way guys, lets hope that Shrike's Cresh flight gets here soon, otherwise this could get messy.”

Rolling her fighter to face the oncoming fighters, Maroy is about to open fire on them when all of a sudden the trailing flight of the squadron opens fire, and four of the enemy fighters disappear in explosions, while the remaining four scatter, trying to put some distance between themselves and the traitors in their midst.

==Wrench 9==

Yanking back on his control stick to follow the A-9 of Wrench 1 Rorran switches over to the VE comm frequencies,

“You know guys, I know you missed me, but you didn't have to come invade a whole system just to rescue me. Nazgul 9 out”

OOC:
AAR: Slasher has returned, he is leading an element of 4 A-9s which have changed sides, they are currently assisting Besh flight of Jexxel, and are using the designators Nazgul 9, 10, 11, and 12 for the moment. 4 A-9s are destroyed in their initial attack, and Slasher and his wingman are currently pursuing the Squadron Commander of Wrench squadron. 1189 Words
RET/CDR Rorran "Slasher" Gorma/VEN/VE
[IC1][SoV][CBV.][MC:1][SoL][GWC][NS-3][LSM][=*IM*=][=*SWC*=](=*A*=)(=*SA*=)(=^ME^=)
Hades
ComNet Veteran
Imperial Baronet

Hades

[VE-DJO] Uninitiate
[VE-NAVY] Lieutenant Commander

Post Number:  1216
Total Posts:  1245
December 24, 2013 12:38:47 AM    View the profile of Hades 
The battle could still turn either way, Hades knew. Well, not either way in the exact sense that the phrase might imply, but it could turn from a shining victory into a hard-won bloodbath far too easily for the former squadron commander's liking. Another A-9 exploded in his sights just as a volley pinged his shields, red lights flashing as they dropped below fifty percent. With a curse, Hades swerved around the A-9 he had only just destroyed, utilising the wreckage as a sort of screen between him and whatever was pursuing him. It didn't take long for Graff to catch up and maim his target with the wing-mounted laser cannons, freeing up Hades' six in a flurry of superheated energy. It was then that the transmission from Maroy came through and Hades - having had enough of the nimble, heavily armed A-9's already - rolled his eyes. "We can't keep this up forever," he said, though it was a fairly obvious fact.

"We won't have to," it was Makenna who replied. Hades knew they wouldn't have to, but it damned well seemed like it. He had known beforehand from the VENI reports that the enemy fighter complement would be able to match them evenly, but as always, it was worse on the field.

A voice cut through his thoughts, one he didn't recognise, “You know guys, I know you missed me, but you didn't have to come invade a whole system just to rescue me. Nazgul 9 out.”

The young flight leader frowned, glancing to his sensors - four of the A-9's had apparently turned on their comrades and were now gunning for the leading flight that had been harassing Jexxel until now. He didn't comment, though chatter over Jexxel frequencies soon ensued about the Corellian flight going by the designation of Nazgul.. Hades knew of the squadron who bore that name - one that no longer existed, he had thought. Mayhap it was a deep cover cooperation between VENI and the SFC that Hades had not been told about? He doubted it. Ever the scholar of military history - modern and ancient - Hades had indeed studied the history of Nazgul and knew by now that the only one who would by rights be utilising the designation of Nazgul 9 must be the famous 'Slasher', who had supposedly retired near the start of Hades' career. Interesting, he mused, former Chief of Naval Training, like me. Perhaps it'd be common ground for Demetrius and Rorran to break bread over. He mulled the thought over in his mind, though kept his focus on the battle around him - a single slip could  mean death in this scenario, and he certainly was too young to die.

A flash from Makenna's lasers in Cresh Lead's cockpit marked the destruction of yet another A-9, while it appeared that Slasher and his flight had mopped up their former compatriots with relative ease. His bright green eyes glanced to his sensors to check the readings and sure enough, that seemed to be the last of them, though Hades double checked their surroundings manually - the human eye could pick out a lot of things that sensors missed - to confirm what his displays were telling him... What his sensors also told him was that Chlovi - the vanguard, more or less - were being hammered. The present formation meant that each squadron was essentially on their own and assisting one another meant abandoning or at the very least, weakening each given flank. It was a result of the poor leadership that their new Wing Commander displayed - not only poor leadership but poor tactical ability.

"Golden One, this is Silver Nine," Hades opened a comm. channel to the Wing Commander.

"Why is a flight leader contacting me directly? There's a chain of command, Silver Nine, that you would be wise to follow."

"With all due respect, Lieutenant," Hades retorted icily, "you will refer to me as sir and speak with the respect that my rank demands. The chain of command exists yet is flawed given your appointment as Wing Commander, so I'll kindly refuse your suggestion about contacting my Squadron Commander."

"How dare-"

"Now, Lieutenant Fa'alson," He spoke over the top of the Wing Commander who - while superior in position - was a junior officer, "your tactics will mean the loss of approximately 75% of our fighter capability within Blade Wing. As I can see that Strill has only one flight protecting their flank and Chlovi is in trouble, that's just not going to do. As soon as the enemy realise that the left flank is undefended, it is there that they will strike and break through to harass the transports, which is something we do not want."

"I can have you-"

"Let me make this very clear for you seeing as you seem loathe to listen to anything that does not agree with you. I should think that if you did not agree with your sensors, you would turn them off and fly blind - but I digress: you need to change tactics and tighten formation. As it stands, we will encounter significant losses of both fighters and transports. We are too far from each other to provide backup when it is needed and our heavy support squadron - Vornskr - cowers at the back when it should be providing assistance to whomsoever among Blade Wing requires it. If you choose to continue with your wasteful approach, I will make sure that you never command so much as a cleaning droid again. I trust you know how I would see to that?" It wasn't often that Hades made a promise like that, but he needed Blade Wing to encounter minimal losses. Not only for his sake - the VE could not afford to constantly replenish destroyed fighters and dead pilots, quite simply because they did not have the resources. He didn't like to use his VENI status, but it was handy to have it - especially given the rumours about him working with them, rumours that any Wing Commander interested in preserving his own well-being would be privy to. He loathed rumours, but they served their purpose at times like this.

"Yes sir," Fa'alson responded quietly, though there was murder in his tone. Hades knew he'd have to watch his back around the man now; he'd made an enemy who would not forget this slight.

"I'm glad you're so open to solutions, Wing Commander," Hades told him jovially, "looking forward to seeing what you can do for Chlovi soon. Hades out."

There was no reply, only the silence that told him the line between them was dead. A subtle, lop-sided smile twisted on his lips as he enjoyed the silence. A few moments later the silence was broken by Makenna's voice, "New orders, Jexxel - Lieutenant Fa'alson will be running mobile support and we'll be tightening formation with Chlovi. Cresh flight, you have the rear - Iron Nine, you and your wingmates may return to Strill."

"Affirmative," came the decidedly feminine voice of Strill's Cresh Leader, "breaking off now. Happy hunting, Jexxel."

"Hades," Makenna's voice came quietly over a private channel, "you didn't do something stupid, did you?"

"I've no idea what you might mean by that, Senior Chief Petty Officer," he replied deadpan to his SCO.

"Why is Fa'alson suddenly changing tactics?" She demanded.

"It's anyone's guess, really," he mused unhelpfully.

"And your guess is?" She persisted, not willing to let him get off s o easily.

"My guess is that he no longer believes the loss of life amongst his subordinates is beneficial to his own advancement or well-being," he replied simply.

"So you did just commit insubordination?" She seemed annoyed now, though Hades could see why. He tried not to grin, though soon failed.

"I made him an offer he couldn't refuse," Hades answered, trying to contain the amusement in his voice, "more of us will survive and most likely, Lieutenant Fa'alson will receive the credit for thinking on his feet and saving the VE the difficulty of replacing marines and fighter personnel. Shinies for everyone, I imagine."

"Fa'alson will receive the credit," she muttered, "some of the credit, right?"

"If command chooses to recognise the contribution of each squadron to success, then yes, some of the credit."

"Damnit Hades, what are you playing at?" Makenna snapped in annoyance. Hades didn't think it was annoyance at what he had done, exactly, more at not knowing the reason why - and the fact that his actions often contradicted each other, seemingly.

"I'm not playing at anything, Commander," He replied coldly, "Unless saving lives is a game. Silver Nine out."

OOC:
Wordcount: 1,448

AAR: Hades sees that Fa’alson’s tactics will get them all killed and decides to do something about it. The rumours of his allegiance to VENI serve to add credence to what he says to Fa’alson and in typical Hades fashion, he commits insubordination to blackmail Fa’alson into changing his tactics. When questioned by Makenna, Hades relents and admits he had a hand in changing the man’s mind, though does little to sway Makenna into believing he did it for the lives of Blade Wing as opposed to personal gain.

Lieutenant Commander Demetrius 'Hades' Aita

FL | LCDR Hades | Silver 9 | S:46 "Jexxel" | W:101 "Blade" | ISD Paragon | TF:A | 2Flt | VEN | VE

MS | LCDR Hades | LCR Duty | TF:T | ?Flt | VENA | VEN | VE

[*IG*] [*CO*] [LoM] [DSM] [NSR] [VC:B] [VC:S] [MC:1] [MC:2] [CBV] [CAR]
[MiD] [HNS] [1NS] [2NS] [BRC] [BWC] [SWC] [GWC] [CNQST] [CC:4]
[*SWC*] [*FOCE*] [*TG*]
DeepSix
ComNet Member

DeepSix

[VE-DJO] Adept
[VE-ICS] Pirate Swabbie
[VE-NAVY] Commander

Post Number:  968
Total Posts:  973
December 26, 2013 4:33:00 PM    View the profile of DeepSix 
The month long approach on the Corellian System was finally coming to an end. After the Vast Empire fleets were unceremoniously pulled out of hyperspace and the brass decided to keep going all the same, nothing but seemingly endless boredom followed. Each day was filled with nothing but routine, a monotonous routine that Seth Qorbin, the Unchained's captain, quickly grew very tired of. Less than a full week after the fleets began their painfully slow crawl towards their far, far away goal, the man decreed that the traditional military standard involving a ship's captain overseeing the First Watch would no longer apply aboard the Carrack Light Cruiser.

It would fall on the ship's Executive Officer to take over those responsibilities, whilst also making the ship's Second Officer switch from the Graveyard Shift over to the Secondary one and redesigning the usually decorative Third Officer position into one actually implying responsibilities and genuine respect and admiration from the crew. At least in theory at the very least.

For the crewmen that lacked a proper military background this decision did not really spark a lot of interest one way or the other but the same could not be said about the crewmen transferred from other Vast Imperial ships or installations. As far as the latter were concerned it was unheard of a ship's captain delegating his own responsibilities to someone else, especially since medical reasons weren't involved, and also considering this wasn't even meant as a purely temporary measure either, but rather a permanent one.

Whilst this measure ignited some bit of controversy aboard the Unchained, it didn't take long for matters to settle down though. Part of it was thanks to Kaylee Talix, the ship's XO, who was able to quickly adjust to her new role, and part of it was thanks to the very nature that actually started the endless streams of gossip amongst some of the crewers. Because military people were trained from early on that a clear chain of command was required in order to ensure the proper functioning of the organization they served in, it didn't take long for the Unchained's military men and women to realize that even though that chain of command had changed aboard their new ship, it did not however become any less clearer as well.

~~~~~~~~~~

Twenty minutes earlier
Unchained's bridge

"Lots of fighters out there..." a male voice muttered from close behind, causing the XO to turn and face her own reflection mirrored from a pair of amber irises. She wasn't surprised to see Qorbin standing there, but she was perhaps a bit annoyed that the man had the crew drop yet another military tradition - that of announcing the captain's presence whenever the latter entered some section of the ship or another. Reason Seth did that though was because all the "captain on the bridge" or "captain on deck" sort of tired him out, especially since he wasn't one to be impressed by protocol in the first place...

"We still hold the advantage though", the Executive Officer replied matter-of-factly. "If we're to go by the numbers then I'd say you're right, but then again remember where we are... Amongst the few things Corellians are known for in the whole galaxy, aside from Whyren's Reserve, loads of smugglers and ace pilots is also their uncanny ability to play against the odds - and often times win", came Seth's own reply.

"You don't believe we'll win then?" Kaylee Talix inquired casually, not bothering to lower her voice so that the nearby crew - assuming any was listening in - wouldn't hear the uncomfortable question. Seth smiled and shook his head sideways straight away though. "Nah, we'll likely win this one after all. As you said, we do hold the advantage after all... It's just that it might not go as smoothly as others might hope. We're fighting on their home turf, they already have powerful defenses in place and although their ships don't appear all that powerful on their own, they'll still pose a problem when we'll go for the stations. Plus, there seem to be lots of fighters out there, as I pointed out earlier. I can almost guarantee they'll pose a huge problem to any bombers and transports we might try to throw their way. Then there's also the matter of morale. Some ship captains may have drilled their crews too much or too hard during this past month. Whilst this ensures discipline on one hand it also implies a certain degree of fatigue as well..."

"Is that why you chose to forgo those drills?" the XO interrupted suspiciously. "It's... part of the reason. I trust the men I enlisted to do their jobs well enough. I also trust you've made the best choices on your end as well. Whilst I may have some mild concerns regarding the actual experience of some crewmen, I do not doubt their qualifications in the slightest however. By not stressing everyone else with tiresome drills I at least ensured that they will now be rested and relaxed as opposed to possibly tired and/or overzealous, eager for action and the chance to prove themselves..."

"How should we approach this situation then?" the blonde female First Officer inquired simply. "Hmm..." Qorbin paused and once more stared first at the tactical screen and next outside through the ship's viewport. "We'll hold back and watch. We'll engage anything that comes too close, though I highly doubt the Corellians will make that mistake however..."

~~~~~~~~~~

Thirty minutes after the battle started
Unchained's bridge

"Fools..." Seth grumbled seemingly to himself as he kept on looking at the tactical screen before him. "I can't believe they actually fell for this..."

"What's wrong?" the second in command asked coldly. "If this keeps up the Corellians will turn the tide as far fighter superiority is concerned... They started out spread out and our forces met them head on. A simple tactic, one hoping to take advantage of our more advanced fighters and teamwork. Problem is that they've been slowly but steadily tightening ranks for the past ten minutes or so. In some cases we may have indeed pushed them hard enough to manage this but in some areas", the man stopped and pointed at a couple of spots on the big screen, "here and here for example, their withdrawal was clearly a feint. If I was leading the enemy force then I'd wait just a little bit longer before pulling my anti-fighter escorts from the sides and flanking us. That would cripple our flanks and spark panic in our ranks. We'd be unable to push forward and we'd be screwed if we were to turn back and regroup as well. And if I was an even bolder commander then I'd suddenly order my fighters to make a hole right in the middle of their formation, a hole I'd quickly fill with the concentrated fire of all nearby ships. Thirty seconds would be enough time to decimate that area and if the enemy would even be prepared for that then they'd easily be able to exploit that moment to split our forces, forcing us to fight on two smaller fronts, being flanked on either one."

"You really believe the enemy has something like that prepared?" Kaylee Talix inquired as coldly and impassively as before. "They've already demonstrated they're not stupid. And their skill in the cockpit is already legendary across the whole galaxy too. Like I said, if I was given a whole month to prepare for an invasion against a force I'd have a fairly good estimate of what it would consist of, and I'd know more or less where it would attack from as well, then I can guarantee you that I'd be able to come up with at least half a dozen such scenarios, all meant to quickly turn the tide against an otherwise losing battle."

"Shouldn't you warn Captain Gr... Captain Serpent then?" the Unchained's XO pointed out. "It's just a hunch though... a really strong one, but still nothing more than that. I don't have any proof." The Onderonian captain paused and watched the tac screen for about one more minute in silence. "Miss Noron, open a line to the Paragon please", Seth eventually decided. "Miss Hayek, bring us in closer as well. Advance slower at first and only go full throttle after they've noticed us. Most importantly, try to keep all the fighters in between us and their ships and stations. One disadvantage to tightening their lines like that is that they won't easily be able to shoot through their own forces in order to get to us..."

"A'right boss!" the ship's pilot happily replied.

"Do you intend to take us in close enough to engage their fighters?" Commander Talix asked in her characteristically monotonous tone of voice. "I'm just covering my bases in case Jigsaw's too busy to listen", the ship's captain answered calmly. "We're not a front line vessel though. We won't survive too many hits from that sort of firepower..."

"Which is why I'm hoping we won't receive a lot of hits in the process... Miss Noron, relay the following message ship wide: Battle stations!"

OOC:
WC: 1530
AAR: Intro shows Seth Qorbin not being a typical ship captain. Once the battle starts he also notices a few possible vulnerabilities in our SFC tactics/formations. Not waiting to first explain these issues to Serpent, the man decides to take his ship closer to the action, using the allied and enemy fighter screens as cover from the bigger guns of the enemy cap ships (and station(s)) in the back.
SCAP/CDR Seth DeepSix Qorbin/Carrack Unchained/TF:A/3Flt/FC/VEN/VE
[=*TG*=] [=*VIM*=] [=*SWC*=] [=NDr=]

CNT/CDR Seth DeepSix Qorbin/PLF Cappadocious/VENA/VEN/VE

TRN/AD Seth DeepSix Qorbin/DJO/Training Sect/VEDJ
Grey
ComNet Member

Grey

[VE-NAVY] Captain

Post Number:  558
Total Posts:  558
December 28, 2013 2:50:30 AM    View the profile of Grey 
Miitagor Kaz glanced around nervously, ensuring that he was, as he suspected, alone. As a member of a non-human species (Bith) in a predominantly human military, Kaz was already inclined to be nervous. The Vast Empire certainly endorsed equality for all species and refuted the humanocentric values of the old empire, but that didn’t mean that there weren’t still ardent believers of the New Order implanted in the more open-minded ranks of the VE, or indeed that there would ever be a balance of humans and aliens. In time, perhaps, but even so long after the VE’s founding the balance of species was far from equal.. Given those facts, he had reason to be cautious indeed – but it wasn’t that which had made him so nervous today, no. He had received a coded transmission from his handler; the time was now and his mission was finally activated, with an objective that was so deeply ingrained in his consciousness that it dominated his career. He might have been only a maintenance officer, a lowly Petty Officer, but  the benefits of not being seen far outweighed the negative aspect of his lack of authority. Especially for VENI.

Maintenance staff usually went where they pleased, and it was rare for anyone to stop them. Everyone agreed that they would rather not have the job of explaining why maintenance wasn’t done to their superiors; so formed a loophole through which – in most circumstances – something that would have otherwise represented a security risk could be entirely ignored. It was a form of camouflage that bore more effectiveness than many others; to be hidden in plain sight was the best way to disappear completely. Kaz had utilized that element of stealth to avoid the question asking that would have accompanied his presence in an alcove a few feet from the antechamber outside the Adjudicator’s engine compartment. With his tool pouch and accompanying maintenance droid, no-one was likely to question his purpose. And yet, despite the harmless appearance of the balloon-headed non-human, he could have been very harmful indeed. Harm, however, was not his intent and so the crew of Rear Admiral Trykon could rest easy – for the time being.

A final glance over his shoulder and a few seconds of strained listening served as the final confirmation that Kaz needed to assure himself that he wasn’t to be interrupted.  From within the tool pouch on his belt, the bulbous-eyed alien pulled a small datapad that only just outsized his palm. The clear, crystalline blue display lit up as soon as he waved a finger over it, powering up  with an innocent brand disclaimer about the accuracy of the device when doing maintenance work. A set of options were presented to the VENI operative, most of them reading ‘repair’ or ‘diagnostics checks’ and the like. He hovered a finger over the final option, which read ‘enter error code’. The system itself was based on real maintenance aides, so it had a very  convincing – and indeed useable – set of maintenance functions. As he entered the code he wanted, a warning flashed up on the screen; to proceed, the datapad needed to wirelessly activate the maintenance droid that sat silently by Miitagor’s side. A light stab of his forefinger to the screen allowed the device to proceed, simultaneously beginning the quiet whirring of the droid’s power source and internal circuits as it activated.

Another prompt appeared on the slim device, urging Kaz to enter a seven digit authorization code to proceed with his ‘maintenance’. His fingers moved gracefully over the screen and stabbed in his code, activating the final step of the process. The droid shuffled forward, its dedicated maintenance arm extending with a whir and sliding snugly into an access port that sat level with its single artificial eye. A few clicks and a soft clunk emanated from the socket as the maintenance arm twisted in place, rotating the port like an outdated keyhole. Through the clear casing of the droid’s maintenance arm, an electric-blue pulse could be seen passing from the body of the droid toward the socket, followed by a pin-sized black chip. The chip was a recent development by VENI’s dedicated research team back at the Fortress; only the latest in espionage gadgetry was acceptable as a base standard for VENI, so it stood to reason that their active agents were equipped with the latest and the greatest of said gadgetry. Perhaps it would be refuted by VENI’s equivalent number in the Thrawnist camp, or in the New Republic, but it was not abnormal of an intelligence agency to have pride in their capabilities.

A message scrolled across the unblemished datapad bearing the words ‘maintenance code completed’ with five green bars appearing on the upper right hand corner of the screen. Signal bars. Kaz exhaled and waved at the droid, gesturing for it to follow in the same movement that slid the datapad back into the pouch on his belt after the screen had darkened. His mission – for now – was done. Now responsibility passed to his handler, who would wirelessly access the chip in the Adjudicator’s system through the datapad, which was in turn connected to the ship’s mainframe. Incoming and outgoing signals would be masked beneath pre-existing signals – things like the IFF transponder, holo and normal transmissions. Anything that sent signals outside of the ship would be piggy-backed by the VENI chip, randomizing the source every few hours to reduce the possibility of detection. Even in the event of detection, the chip itself would simulate a power surge and fry itself. Besides which, VENI was without a doubt the most efficient counter-intelligence force in the Imperial Navy, at least, which suggested that in the event of a suspected bug, who would someone come to but VENI?

An ingenious If slightly manipulative system, it had proved to be very effective since its implementation. In a time where they were invading the home sector of many VEN member, rooting out traitors, defectors and even deserters became a paramount concern. It never really fell out of sight of an effective intelligence agency, but at times it became a lower priority. Kaz just hoped that he’d get a promotion after this invasion.

---

Ensign Grey glanced up from his holo-novel as a quiet alert beeped up onto his larger holo-terminal. another sleeper agent activated? He wondered, easily typing in his access code when instructed. Unsurprisingly, his initial analysis was proven correct, though he hadn’t expected to see the name attached to the transmission. The agent wasn’t noteworthy, but the ship did happen to be. His eyes widened marginally, a short intake of breath preceding a quiet statement, “well,” he murmured in contemplation with himself, “this will either expose a deeply-implanted double agent or set two members of Naval High Command at odds.” An uncharacteristic ‘hah’ came from between his lips as be bit the bottom one. Maybe this Grey had more tenacity than the Ensign had given him credit for, in which case he had to rethink a few of his schemes.. No matter, he ruminated, the Captain can wait.

As Captain Grey’s second, Ensign Grey enjoyed access to a vast wealth of information and an equal network of spies through which he could bring about more influence than perhaps someone of his rank would ever be credited with officially. But he still didn’t have as much power as Captain Grey, nor would he. Not while Captain Grey was alive, at least. The typically robotic Ensign permitted himself a ghost-like smile as he thought of the possibilities, but forced it from his face before long. Any display of emotion outside his own company was weakness; it allowed people to gauge your intentions, your reactions to a small degree. But even small degree was too much; surprise was far too valuable to waste on a moment of indulgent emotion.

Ensign Grey didn’t fool himself; there was no telling how many eyes the Captain kept on him and he knew very well that his commander was a highly intelligent individual. Every second he maintained his ambitions, his schemes, he risked his career and his life. In the game of espionage, those were the stakes. Everyone knew it; as the saying went: if you can’t handle the heat, get the frak off Tatooine.

OOC:
WC: 1383

AAR: A VENI sleeper agent activates surveillance protocols aboard none other than the CNO’s ship, while an internal monologue from Ensign Grey gives a rare insight into his motivations and ambibtions.
Hades
ComNet Veteran
Imperial Baronet

Hades

[VE-DJO] Uninitiate
[VE-NAVY] Commander

Post Number:  1237
Total Posts:  1245
December 28, 2013 7:38:37 PM    View the profile of Hades 
Captain Jerek Sal-Antil was a Corellian through and through, from the inexplicable skill at gambling to the cocky bravado that made Corellians into the hot-shots of the galaxy. What he lacked, however, was the tactical ability to outperform not one but three  Imperial Star Destroyers and their escorts. His fighter pilots were some of the best in the galaxy, but given that they were matched evenly with the Vast Empire's own fighters there was no way even they could turn the tide of the battle. Aboard his flagship, the once-Imperial Dreadnaught Skifter, he could see the entirety of the battle unfolding before him. While the Vast Empire's fighters were doing better than he'd expected, their capital ships had yet to do any real damage - sure enough they far outgunned his own modest fleet, but they hadn't been used to full effect.

"Those transports will probably be aimed for the Golans," he mused aloud, "is there any way the second will be online before the battle's over?"

"No sir. We might be able to get the weapons systems active, though, but the shields will take more time to raise," Commander Addroc Sully, his XO, replied coolly, "as it stands, the enemy forces have no reason to target it. They likely want to repurpose it if they're victorious here and take Soronia. If it starts firing, however.."

"I'd rather see it destroyed than in Imperial hands, thank you Commander," He muttered, "have them activate the offensive systems as soon as possible."

"Yes sir," Sully responded obediently, moving toward a communications console.

"Sensors show the Carrack moving toward their main cloud of fighters, sir," the sensor officer called over to him. He furrowed his brows; as yet he'd been untouched by the fighting, being in the center of the formation.

"Tell Wing Commander Orik to make a hole," he ordered, mind moving fast, "this may present us with an opportunity."

"Or expose the center of our lines," Sully observed, disapproval evident in his voice.

"Nothing ventured, nothing gained," he shot back, "besides, we're gamblers by nature. We're born to play the odds."

"Yes yes, Sabacc and all that," he replied, "but I'd rather not be responsible for the collapse of Soronia's defenses because we decided the odds were to be trifled with."

"And that's why I'm the Captain and you're my XO. You give me cautious, prudent suggestions and I ignore them," Sal-Antil replied cheerfully, "live a little, Commander."

"You take us into a possibly suicidal situation and tell me to live a little?" He asked dryly.

"Sometimes the proximity of death makes life all the more worth living," Sal-Antil answered, "now tell Orik to get us that hole. The Vast Empire seems to be ardently pursuing their assault, perhaps the sight of an Imperial Dreadnaught in their midst will cull that ardour."

"Or make us look like fools," Sully pointed out, ever the prudent one.

"They already think of us as fools, why not give them more reason to?"

"If they thought of us as fools, wouldn't they have pushed a wedge of Star Destroyers through our formation without batting an eye?" Sully insisted, "I think they don't believe we're fools, which is the only reason their capital ships haven't torn us apart."

"I love having the authority to ignore you, Sully. You can be so dull sometimes," the Captain said brightly, "helms, give us a course toward Orik's vanguard. We're going to punch through their fighter line with his help and engage that Carrack. Have the Ace of Sabres take our place in the formation and instruct the Pride of Soronia to form up on us." The Ace was probably the second most powerful ship in their modest fleet, being an Endurance-Class Fleet Carrier, while the Pride was a DP20 and would act as a fighter screen as well as additional firepower in case one of the Star Destroyers came in range. There was no way they could go up against one of those and win, not alone. They'd need more than half their fleet to go up against even one of them without fighters. Between the two of them, the Carrack that seemed to be moving to support the fighters should have been easy pickings... Little known about the Skift was the fact that it had been upgraded by Corellian engineering to have almost double the firepower, as many Dreadnaughts were these days - outdated ships couldn't last without upgrades.

What Sully didn't realise was that the Captain was quite aware of how much of a gamble this was - against the small Carrack, two ships of the line were more than enough, but against an ISD-II? It was suicide. The Dreadnaught may have had more than thirty turbolasers with the upgrades, but the ISD-II had over 100! Jerek wished that he had four more Dreadnaughts with him, but he'd have to make do. "Wing Commander Orik reports that his heavy fighters are assaulting the VE's line now."

"Good," the Captain replied, "contact him again when we get in range and tell him to get the hell out of there."

"And if he doesn't have time?"

"Woe is he," Sal-Antil replied absently, a dark expression coming upon his features - it was a cruel, evil looking arrangement of his face, "it's going to be a killing ground in there."

--- --- ---

As flashes of light lit up the darkness of space around his cockpit, Hades artfully weaved his Interceptor MK-II through the chaos which, while steadily decreasing, still filled the void with criss-crossing laser bolts in an exchange of laser fire that represented the death of hundreds in a short period of time. Maybe even thousands when the fleet began its final assault... "Sir, the fighters are decreasing," Vangelos informed him. Checking his sensors, he saw the man was right, "do you think we drove them off?"

"They know that those transports could be the deciding factor in this battle," he said, mostly to himself, "no, I think not. They're probably routing reinforcements elsewhere, wherever our fighters are thinner maybe." As he scanned his readouts for where they might be heading, he saw one of the VE ships moving forward, supposedly in support of their fighters. It would definitely help... "There," He murmured, but why would anyone concentrate their fighters on something that has a very effective anti-starfighter armament? It was then that he saw movement in the enemy fleet. Their largest ship - looking something like a small Star Destroyer - had taken the center of the formation, while a similarly large ship had moved with a smaller ship in tow.

And they were headed straight for the Unchained. "Those fighters are going to punch a hole in our fighter screen," he whispered in realisation. The fighter screen, as it were, was the only thing that would stand between those larger capital ships and the Carrack. But if reinforcements moved to there instead of stopping the transports, they'd be able to free up more of their fighters and clear the space between the Unchained and the advancing enemy ships.

"What are we going to do?" Vangelos asked, and Hades realised he'd left his comm on.

"What can we do?" He replied grimly, "we can't go up against an Imperial Dreadnaught and a DP20 on our own."

"What are the Corellians thinking?" Graff muttered, "as soon as they get close, command will move a Star Destroyer forward and pound them into dust."

Hades wondered that too. Were they complete fools? It took him a while to figure it out, but once he did he shook his head in bewilderment. "I think someone's doing what Corellians do best?"

"Make whiskey?" Vangelos replied sarcastically.

"No," Hades remarked, "gamble"

OOC:
Wordcount: 1,288

AAR: Captain Jerek Sal-Antil, commander of the Corellian forces and the flagship, Skift - an Imperial Dreadnaught - decides to take a gamble and sets his sights on Deep's beloved Carrack The Skift and its DP20 escort Pride Of Soronia aim to smash through the fighter screen and destroy the Unchained before A) it can do any significant damage in the fighter battle and B) Imperial Star Destroyers can move to save it.

Hades knows there's nothing he personally can do - a single flight of a single squadron isn't going to stand up to an Imperial Dreadnaught and a fighter-killing DP20 - and having some professional courtesy that is most unlike him, he places faith in the fact that the commanders of the VE fleet will have seen it just as easily as him and will stop the move before it does any damage.

Commander Demetrius 'Hades' Aita

FL | CDR Hades | Silver 9 | S:46 "Jexxel" | W:101 "Blade" | ISD Paragon | TF:A | 2Flt | VEN | VE

MS | CDR Hades | LCR Duty | TF:T | ?Flt | VENA | VEN | VE

[*IG*] [*CO*] [LoM] [DSM] [NSR] [VC:B] [VC:S] [MC:1] [MC:2] [CBV] [CAR]
[MiD] [HNS] [1NS] [2NS] [BRC] [BWC] [SWC] [GWC] [CNQST] [CC:4]
[=*SWC*=] [=*FOCE*=] [=*TG*=] [=*SCFE*=]
DeepSix
ComNet Member

DeepSix

[VE-DJO] Adept
[VE-ICS] Pirate Swabbie
[VE-NAVY] Commander

Post Number:  971
Total Posts:  973
December 29, 2013 5:04:21 AM    View the profile of DeepSix 
"Huh, didn't see that one coming..." Seth Qorbin paused and watched as the enemy flagship likewise began advancing closer to the fighter screen. Given their weaponry and mission profile however it was unlikely the larger ship would be able to actually help out their hundreds of pilots, which meant that the move was in fact a response to Seth's own advance. "Everyone, you should be honored. Not only have we managed to draw the enemy commander's attention but we also managed to make him relinquish his cozy position solely to play welcoming committee for us. Now that's impressive..."

...And also very strange too, the man continued unheard. Both his own move as well as the enemy commander's posed a certain degree of risk to their respective ships. The thing was however that in the grand scheme of things the Unchained's loss wouldn't really have that much of an effect as far as the remaining VE forces would be concerned - at least not in so far as this particular battle was concerned anyway. On the other hand, the potential loss of the enemy's flagship could end up crippling the entire defensive effort made by the Corellians. The enemy commander's move was as such more than just risky... it was risky, bold and possibly reckless too. This was in all likelihood a man that conventional tactics might not work very well against - or so Seth concluded based on the analysis of just one simple move...

"Captain, I've got the Paragon on the line", the Comms officer announced and in doing so managed to put a stop to Seth's thoughts on the enemy commander and his possible motives. "Captain Zail, how's it going?" Seth informally addressed his previous VENI superior.

"What are you trying to pull, Captain Qorbin?" The captain felt like it had a little more emphasis to it than it may have been otherwise required and Seth imagined this was because Serpent, as the former Captain Grey, had a big part to play as far as his current position was concerned.

"Oh, you know me cap'n... I get bored so easily... Plus it looks like I may have actually found myself someone to play with. Your sensors must've noticed too, right?" Qorbin smiled as he waited for his former superior to reply. "What do you make of that move? And did you know that would happen in the first place?" was the Second Fleet commander's much more serious sounding answer.

"Nope, that one came as a complete surprise to me as well. I was approaching because I believed the enemy was preparing something based on their fighter movements and I hoped that by being closer I'd be able to either interfere or at least force them to act ahead of schedule. Didn't count on the flagship to directly respond to my movement though..."

"By moving forward though they increase the odds of retaliation", Serpent's ponderous voice could be heard coming from the other end of the line. "Which is why I'm skeptical about the commander's motives", the Unchained's CO interjected quickly. "Would he really put his ship, and the entire defensive effort for that matter, at risk solely to deal with a simple cruiser? Or does he perhaps have something different prepared?"

"What will you do, Captain Qorbin?" The question would go unanswered for almost an entire standard minute. Finally the blond Onderonian would open his mouth to speak: "Allow my curiosity to get the better of me and push forward. I'd appreciate it if I could get some support behind me though. Something big? With lots and lots of guns maybe?"

"I'll see what I can do, Captain" was Captain Zail's reply before the transmission was cut off from his end. "Your orders?" the golden Carrack's XO inquired after the fact. "For now push forward as stated. Miss Hayek, slower if you please... Also, someone reroute and boost shields ahead."

OOC:
WC: 652
AAR: Qorbin notices the enemy commander's move and begins analyzing it. He also gets in touch with Serpent and discusses the matter. In the end the man decides to maintain his current course, only this time around with possible support from the VE main forces...
SCAP/CDR Seth DeepSix Qorbin/Carrack Unchained/TF:A/3Flt/FC/VEN/VE
[=*TG*=] [=*VIM*=] [=*SWC*=] [=NDr=]

CNT/CDR Seth DeepSix Qorbin/PLF Cappadocious/VENA/VEN/VE

TRN/AD Seth DeepSix Qorbin/DJO/Training Sect/VEDJ
Norsedragoon
ComNet Initiate

Norsedragoon

[VE-NAVY] Chief Petty Officer

Post Number:  106
Total Posts:  114
January 15, 2014 7:11:55 PM    View the profile of Norsedragoon 
The Interceptor jerked into a tight roll as Einarr pulled the stick over, his leg pressing down on the rudder pedal as he evaded the incoming blasts from the Corellian A-9's. “Cassius, pattern Besh”

'Yes sir, initiating EW sequence Besh' the secondary communications nodes sprang to life seeking the local enemy encryption and communication channels as the fighters wove their deadly dance Einarr's helmet protocols ran through the various options as he kicked his nimble Interceptor over in a tight turn  lining his guns up on the rearmost of the enemy fighters as the rest of the flight picked their own targets. Crimson bolts streaked through vacuum the target vanishing from his cross hair as it rolled on its port wing directly into the fire of one of the transports turrets.

“Damn kill thief, Cassius, ETA on the probe droids? Activate them as soon as they hit, I want copies emplaced before they get those guns online.”

'As you say master, time to target in 5 minutes. Target operational in 15.' As his AI delivered this report the secondary Communications nodes found the local squadron communications channel, the encryption sliding into place as the digital sentience established its own sub-link in the network. 'Link with local network established, activating Operation plan Besh.' A screech burst transmission sent the infiltrator copies into the enemy squadron net, the programs going to work on fire control, targeting, and internal life support systems on the fighters in the area. Processing power supplied remotely  by both Einarr's on-board hardware and a hard-link to his droids on-board the paragon allowed them to hit the underpowered defenses at full strength.

(Inside the Corellian Task Groups network)

The Avatars appeared in a flash, a pod of glowing digital devilsquids moving swiftly through the data stream, their appendages lashing out in blinding patterns. Files were moved across the system in haphazard lumps as targeting information was relocated to astrogation programs, Life support to targeting, Navigation to Engineering monitors. A pair split off to engage the activated security monitors, their barbed tentacles wrapping around and giving structure to the security programs shaping them as their barbs sank deep reprogramming even as they locked down their functions.  In moments it was over, the fighters facing Jexxel squadron thrown into disarray as their own systems turned on them. Radar displaying illusionary targets under multiple groups flags, their weapons malfunctioning or overloading in a shower of overcharged energy, and their life support backfiring lowering the temperature and decimating the air supply. Controls balked making them easy targets for the flights guns. Meanwhile Einarr fought the now balky controls of his own Interceptor, struggling to maintain position in the formation as processing power diverted  to subverting the enemy systems was taken from the systems controlling his flight surfaces, Shields, weapons, and engines.

“Hurry it up Cass, I am a sitting Hutt if I don't get some processor capacity back shortly.”

'Besh Stage 1 complete Master, proceeding to stage 2 now. As soon as we have the local Escorts subverted we will be free to open up the processor capacity once more.' Einarr slipped out of formation as his starboard Ion Engine overheated, his shields flickering as he struggled to put his ship in cover behind a floating hulk the result of a mid-space collision between a pair of enemy fighters…

“Besh 2 to Jexxel flight, I am out of the fight for the moment. I will do what I can to keep them off your backs from here.” He ended the transmission with a flick of his right eye as the watched the timer hit zero.

The trio of probe droids made contact with the second Golan Platform, their drills going to work as they penetrated the outer hull armor to get at the underlying conduits, molten hull armor splintered and blasted into the cold of space in flash frozen specks, glinting in the barely caught light of the system primary. The droids extended their utility appendages into the gaps slicing into and connecting into the hardwired connections as they provided power to the subsystems not yet brought up from a cold start yet, their Avatar passengers releasing into the systems as the first signs of awakening systems pinged their responses on readiness checks. The barely awakened systems fell quickly to the alert and ready AI Avatars, Tentacle made of coded programs sank deep into the systems processes subverting the controls and corrupting the processes as first the IFF identifier, then the manual interlock controls fell into the AI controls, their codes being broadcast via tight beam to the flag bridge of the Paragon for the VE Electronic Warfare division to confirm and take control of remotely providing both an access point for them to enter the systems as well as the option of remotely activating the local fire control of the systems to allow them to be aimed in close support on the enemy fleet. The Subverted VI security programs took up the protection duty for the systems as the AI Avatars pushed forward seeking the main generators program path deeper in the systems, converting and subverting the slowly awakening processes in their path. It wasn't the whole system but it is at least a beachhead behind the Corellian leagues lines.

(Corellian Frigate command Network)

Bridging the gaps between eh Squadron network and the SCAP control network the AI's made the leap under a tight beam broadcast to the smaller consorts of the CorSec fleet, their digital bodies infiltrating the main communication nodes disguised as a data packet from the forward fighter screens. The system had minimal time to respond to the intrusion as the Devilsquid AI copies latched into the main processes and began the process of subverting this first step in the network.

(VE Interceptor Jexxel Squadron Besh 2)

Einarr watched the load on his processors slowly lesson as the dual prongs of his digital attack sank home in the enemy fleet systems, the shields stabilized as the engines vented the waste heat in a stream of slowly dissipating reaction mass expelled from the cooling vanes on the outer edge of the solar array. As he watched his systems slowly stabilize he examined the local tactical map in his overlay. The local resistance had been cast into disarray by his initial attack leaving the hard pressed fighter coverage of the boarding party much improved due to the lessening of both control as well as actual fighters left inside the enemy formations. Einarr smiled coldly as he pressed the throttle stud forward accelerating back in pursuit of his squadron and their detail.

OOC:
Word Count: 1103

AAR: Einarr initiates an electronic warfare measure, slicing into the enemy communications he inserts copies of his AI's to subvert and throw the enemy fighter screen into disarray. Meanwhile the probe droids reach the second Golan platform and begin the subversion process, the details being broadcast to the bridge of the Paragon.
FM/CPO/Einarr "Norsedragoon" Ghylthir/Besh 2/S:46 Jexxel/W:101 Blade/ISD Paragon /TF:A/2Flt/FC/VEN/VE
[MC1] [MC2] [SoA] [IG]  (=^Eng^=) {AFM} {Astr} {VehM} {SfrM} {Gunn} {GrAt} {XenMA}
Trykon
ComNet Sage

Trykon

[VE-NAVY] Rear Admiral

Post Number:  3556
January 22, 2014 2:11:57 AM    View the profile of Trykon 
“Accelerate, and bring us in between the two space stations,” Trykon ordered, thrusting one arm behind him in a gesture that both indicated the looming enemy battle line visible in the far distance beyond the transparisteel of the bridge viewports, and simultaneously seemed to dismiss it as inconsequential, all at once.  “Task Force Aurek will follow us in - line formation - while Besh comes in from above, relative to our current position, focusing fire on the operational Golan.  Besh should set for a conical distribution.”

As various crew members scurried to enact Trykon’s orders, Dark Jedi Knight Damon Woods tried to envision the possible outcomes of the Admiral’s tactics.  The maneuver was simple, and direct: the Vast Imperial Third Fleet would divide into its constituent task forces.  The first, led by the flagship Imperial II-class Star Destroyer Adjudicator, would drive hard toward the planet Soronia, splitting the distance between the two Corellian-manned Golan Defense platforms that stood guard in orbit, and the ships would pour turbolaser fire into them both.  The VE ships would be able to deliver broadsides to both enemy platforms, but with only one station fully operational, only one side of the Vast Imperial vessels would be vulnerable to return fire.  Meanwhile, the second task force would drive up and over the first, approaching the active Golan from an oblique angle, forcing the Corellian gunners to choose between two groups of targets.

Unless the Corellians had incredible command and control, and a savvy force commander who ordered them to focus their volleys on one or two specific ships only, the VE would easily overwhelm them with sheer force of numbers.

Even as he had the thought, though, Damon felt an icy shiver run down his spine.  “Something’s not right,” he murmured, as he recognized the warning sensation in the Force.  He turned to his master.  “Admiral,” he said, struggling to remember the proper naval form of address instead of the more familiar stylings of the Dark Jedi Order, “perhaps it would be better to-”

“Thank you, Damon,” Trykon said curtly, cutting him off mid-sentence.  “I feel it too.  We’ll be fine.”

“Yes, mast… yes sir,” Damon amended.

The Adjudicator sliced through the void, the icy planet ahead of her growing slowly but steadily larger in the viewports.  Her forward shields flashed as the first turbolaser blasts from the operational space station began making contact, and the Adjudicator’s own guns opened fire as if in answer.  But even after the following ships of Task Force Aurek began to shoot, the Golan’s lasers and missile launchers stayed trained on the leading Star Destroyer of the line.  The Corellian commander was not giving in to the temptation to divide his firepower, and there was nothing wrong with the Corellian command and control systems: the Adjudicator would take all the punishment the Golan could dish out, before the Vast Imperial Third Fleet could destroy the station.  It was effectively a a contest of endurance; whichever behemoth could maintain shield power longer would destroy the other.

Damon felt light headed, and he knew the blood had drained from his face.  “Can our shields hold?” he asked his master quietly, as another volley from the station slammed into the forward deflector shields.

He was startled to find his master sporting a slight grin.  The deck shivered as another violent broadside slammed home.  “It would hardly be sporting if I knew the answer to that question ahead of time, Damon,” he said, before turning to issue new orders to his command staff.

OOC:
601 words.

AAR: Third Fleet enters the fray.  Trykon orders the Adjudicator to lead Task Force Aurek of Third Fleet "right down the middle," attacking both stations at once.  He orders Task Force Besh to simultaneously attack the active Golan Defense Platform, hoping to distract its gunners.  The Corellians don't take the bait, though, and pour all their firepower into the Adjudicator.  The Vast Imperials are now in a race to destroy the station before it can inflict crippling damage on the Third Fleet's flagship.  Because this far in enemy territory, with the Barrier in place, retreat and repair are not really options.
Naval High Command

Decorations
[NSM][E][NAR][NDM][MSMx2][SoA][CoB.][VC:B][VC:S][VC:G][VC:E][SoV][LoM][DSM][NC][IGC]

Trykon
ComNet Sage

Trykon

[VE-NAVY] Rear Admiral

Post Number:  3557
January 30, 2014 5:24:17 AM    View the profile of Trykon 
For Damon Woods, the duel between the Vast Empire’s Imperial II-class Star Destroyer Adjudicator and the Corellian Defense Force’s active Golan II-class Space Defense SpaceGun seemed to last a lifetime.  Salvo after salvo of turbolaser blasts slammed into the Adjudicator’s shields, which flashed angrily as they absorbed the withering punishment.  Volley after volley of proton torpedoes snaked out from the station, exploding in impossibly bright novas where the Adjudicator’s point defense lasers missed their marks.  And throughout it all, squadron after squadron of Corellian snubfighters threw themselves against the Adjudicator in suicidal waves, desperately pressing home their attack runs on the beleaguered Vast Imperial ship.

The others on the Star Destroyer’s bridge went about their business, the tight skin along their necks and jaws the only hint of their underlying worries as they coordinated the Third Vast Imperial Fleet’s response to the Corellian barrage with deliberate, professional detachment.  But Damon Woods was a civilian.  An outsider.  He had no business to go about.  And no professional detachment to summon up.

For the Dark Jedi Knight, the assault stretched out into an eternity of pure fear, as the bombardment went on and on - and on - incessantly.  With every successive explosion, his terror seemed to mutate into a larger, scarier monster in his mind, from which he wanted nothing more than to run and hide.  But there was nowhere to go, and he found that he was so overstimulated by light and terrible, terrible noise that his overburdened nervous system could not even flinch properly.  Dimly, he was aware that he’d lost control of his limbs, and the acknowledgment of the reality - that he was frozen with fright - only made his panic deepen.

And then, suddenly, with very little warning, everything was fine.  The bridge was still.  Quiet.  There were no more flashes of multicolored light.

Damon realized he’d been holding his breath, and he gasped out a pitiful sigh.  His intake was sharp and ragged.  “We won the duel,” he said, his tone half celebration, half question.

“Naturally,” came the matter-of-fact voice of Admiral Wyl Trykon.  Damon turned, only to face the Kuati’s grey-green eyes boring into him.  The older man’s expression was cold.  Cruel, almost.  “But it was never a duel,” Trykon corrected acidly.  “We had twenty capital ships; they had a single defense station backed up by a handful of small support craft and two dozen starfighters.  There was no way to predict that the Corellians would throw everything they had at our lead ship, but if you had opened yourself to the Force, you would have understood: we were never in any danger of being destroyed.”

Trykon went on, and something in his voice scared Damon then, more than any enemy torpedo or turbolaser could.

“This was a test,” Trykon said, his ashen, skeletal face twisting into a frown.  “And you have failed.”

Ice water flowed through Damon’s veins, and his mouth went dry.  “I… you…” he sputtered, his mind reeling.  “This was a test,” he repeated dumbly, before finally gathering his thoughts.  “You meant for them to target the Adjudicator,” he said with sudden clarity.  “You risked the whole ship, just to watch my reaction?”

“I was doing more than watching,” the Admiral said, and suddenly Damon felt lighter, as if a great weight had been lifted from his spine.  His fear receded mightily as well.

“You were in my thoughts,” Damon whispered as realization hit.  “My emotions.”

“And you failed to notice,” Trykon said with unveiled contempt.

Before Damon could think of a response, another warning flared in the Force.  Trykon’s expression instantly changed: Damon swore he could see the same stab of fear ripple across the Kuati Admiral’s features as he himself felt clenching his own guts.

“That... is thoroughly inconvenient,” Trykon muttered, before spinning away from Damon and raising his voice to an undignified shout.  “The second Golan!” he bellowed, so the entire bridge crew could hear him.  “All vessels, target the other Golan station and fire at will!  Helm: all ahead flank, and turn us away!  Run!  Run!  Run!”

OOC:
704 words.

AAR: Despite the desperate Corellian counter-barrage, the Adjudicator handily defeats the active Golan defense station, although the ship's shields take more punishment than expected.  The maneuver was revealed to be part of Damon Woods' training, though, as Admiral Trykon was testing his apprentice under pressure, manipulating the younger Knight's fears in the combat situation.  But just as Trykon's test is revealed, a warning alarm sounds through the Force: both Jedi feel the sudden surge of danger, radiating from the second, supposedly inactive Golan Defense Station.  Trykon's calm and in-control demeanor vanishes, and he orders the Adjudicator to turn away from the second Golan and run, firing as it retreats... what's the surprise that has the Admiral so spooked?
Naval High Command

Decorations

Trykon
ComNet Sage

Trykon

[VE-NAVY] Rear Admiral

Post Number:  3559
February 5, 2014 5:16:43 AM    View the profile of Trykon 
Damon Woods decided that even more terrifying than having a Dark Jedi twist your emotions and implant fear directly into your brain was watching that same Dark Jedi experience fear himself.  Especially when you were standing right next to that Dark Jedi, ignorant of the cause and powerless to intervene.

“Helm, we need more speed,” Rear Admiral Wyl Trykon called out, again.  It was the third time he’d said the sentence.  The Kuati fleet commander wasn’t known to repeat orders.  His people knew how to follow them the first time, and he had enough decorum not to ask twice.  Usually.

“More speed, damn it all!” he cried, modulating his voice halfway through the utterance so the curse came out a strangled whisper.  He inhaled deeply.  Quickly.  Damon’s eyes snapped away from the starboard viewport at the panicked sound, leaving the still, innocent-looking enemy station to fix on his mentor and lover.  Just as they locked gazes, Trykon said suddenly: “You’re going to want to hold on to something.”  Then his grey-green eyes went wide, and blank.

Damon heard someone yelp pathetically, and realized dimly the sound had come from his own throat.  A half second later, he felt a wavefront of warning ripple through the Force, and knew his Master hadn’t been wrong.  He stepped over to the corner where two bulkheads met, and hugged the durasteel for dear life.

It turned out to have been a fortuitous decision.

The young Dark Jedi Knight didn’t actually see the attack, when it came.  He was facing the corner, careful to be holding it as much as he was pushing away from it, just as he’d been taught, so that any shockwave couldn’t reverberate directly through his spine.  But from his position he did see a flash of light bathe the bridge, and he hear a sound unlike any he’d ever heard before.  There was a crashing din, and a sound like some immense, primordial engine speeding up and then going silent, and then myriad bright, explosive pops.  An immense amount of energy was being emptied into the ship, that much was clear.  And then, surprisingly soon after, there was the sound of multiple men screaming, and one final, sonorous boom.

Damon found he couldn’t hear anything, after that.

He turned around, slowly, only to find the Adjudicator’s bridge utterly transformed.  The angular symmetry found in all Kuati-built Star Destroyers was ruined, with fallen support beams and ruptured deck plating imposing their own anarchical shapes on the room.  Most of the consoles and computer terminals had apparently overloaded and blown themselves out, and the still-sparking holes provided some of the only illumination, since many of the emergency lighting strips seemed to be offline; shadows filled the space in a darkness that seemed both viscous, and alive.  And near Damon’s feet, in the precise place he’d been standing before Trykon’s warning, was a corpse.  Or rather, some corner of his brain dispassionately corrected, a piece of a corpse.

The man’s head was missing, apparently sliced off cleanly by something incredibly sharp.  The man’s bottom half was gone too, but the ragged black edge of the wound and the charred-meat smell accompanying it indicated a different cause.

Damon promptly threw up.  The miasma of his own sick only made matters worse, though, and he vomited again.  It was strange, not to hear anything, but he could feel that he was screaming, in between bouts of nausea.

When he’d recovered a bit, he noticed that the rank plack on the severed torso marked the dead man as a Lieutenant.  Some corner of Damon’s mind rejoiced then, reassured that it wasn’t Wyl who lay dead and in pieces.  Another part of his brain immediately rebuked him for such a callous reaction.  The sequence of events was so absurd, he barked a sudden laugh that he could not hear.  Which struck him as uproariously funny...

Trykon found Damon some minutes later, still laughing.  His admiral’s uniform was singed and torn, and bloodied at the knees.  He took one look at Damon - unhurt and yet broken - and limped away in the direction of Damage Control, without saying a word.

It was the last time the pair would ever see each other.

OOC:
721 words.

After Action Report: Wyl Trykon has miscalculated.  The stormtrooper landing parties dispatched to keep the second Golan Station offline seem to have failed.  The starfighters of Second Fleet, Third Fleet, and Fourteenth Fleet seem to have been unable to help either.  The parts of the Vast Imperial war machine that the Rear Admiral relies upon to spin his elaborate battle plans have, for the first time, not performed according to his projections.

After risking the Adjudicator in a frontal assault on the first Golan, Trykon is unprepared when he receives a precognitive warning that the second Defense Station is powering up an attack.  Military historians will no doubt debate his seemingly foolhardy tactics in later years, but few will ever know the truth that he was using the initial duel to test his apprentice in the Dark Jedi Order, Damon Woods.  Regardless, all will agree that the move was a blunder, given the fact that the second Golan was able to overcharge all it's weapons, and fire the entire complement facing the Adjudicator into the Star Destroyer at point blank range.

The bridge is a shambles.  Shields are down, and damage to the Adjudicator is likely extensive.  Casualties (both physical and psychological) will be high.

And now, with an Imperial II-class Star Destroyer out of the fight, without any way to refit thanks to the Corellians' hyperspace-disrupting Barrier, the entire Vast Imperial offensive is in serious, serious trouble.

We're always saying that what you write - or don't write - in official stories will have consequences for club canon.  We're always saying Chapters are the purest expression of that concept.  Well, this post is an example of what can happen when folks don't post for a couple weeks.  I'm not angry at all, or trying to "punish."  I'm just saying, the VE could actually LOSE, guys.  In the absence of posting, that's the outcome.
Naval High Command

Decorations

Norsedragoon
ComNet Initiate

Norsedragoon

[VE-NAVY] Chief Petty Officer

Post Number:  108
Total Posts:  114
February 15, 2014 7:16:15 PM    View the profile of Norsedragoon 
The stick resisted Einarr as he pulled it in, bringing the Interceptor into a tight arc as he brought the reticule into line with his target. A gentle squeeze of the trigger brought death to the swift, disoriented A-9 as it shattered in a silent cloud of expanding vapor and debris. Other targets in the scattered dog fight gave up their lives to the alert guns of Jexxel flight and its allies as crimson bolts streaked free from gun barrels to collide with the disoriented, frantic craft that had shortly before been viscous threats to their charges.

“Escort flight to Transports, you got those boots on the turf yet?”

“Transports to Escort, target achieved hitting the beach in 5”

“Confirmed transports, Jexxel squadron will keep the leftovers off you.” The flight leads voice rang through Einarr's helmet as he sought his next target, a series of star bursts in his peripheral heralding the demise of the previous victims flight mates as his own took down targets. Einarr guided his fighter back into position and followed his comrades back into the fight his cyberware augmented senses aware of the scanners displaying VE boarding craft sliding into docking bays or mating with Airlocks as they delivered their deadly cargo of heavily armored Marines.

“Kill a few mammals for me boys, kill a few for me.”

(Second Golan’s Core Systems)

Casius clone #416 probed deeper into the stations systems changing IFF interlocks in the targeting systems as it went. The pruned AI's focused awareness was aware of the havoc outside as the guns shifted from the flagships of the VE fleet to the ships of the Correllian defense fleet. 416 worked deeper subverting the power systems and internal security software as it went. A pulse in the system alerted 416 to the loss of 315 and 601 as the ice walls in the system isolated and deleted the infiltrating programs. 416 subverted a series of core processors speeding up its own actions before beginning its assault on the local control core. Defensive programs sprang alert as the AI's Avatar entered the system, their programming isolating and locking down network blocks in an effort to trap and delete the AI. As 416 continued its attack 3 more iterations penetrated the network splitting the defenses attention as they strained the compromised systems processors to the limit. Life support came down in a flash as the stations systems began a cascading failure, airlocks sprang open in a series of software glitches opening sections of the station to vacuum as alerts broadcast through the station in klaxon howls.  Armored troopers, crewmen, and technicians died in the airless vacuum as the assault continued, more of the guns coming online and into the AI's control as the individual iterations merged into a single gestalt intelligence.

“Immediate broadcast to Vast Imperial Fleet Assets, Golan defensive platform neutralized as an enemy asset, awaiting prize crew and directives.” The Cassius Gestalt transmitted the broadcast along the proper combat frequencies before line of sight broadcasting the control codes directly to the ships f the line for EW division turnover.

(TIE-IN engaged in combat)

Cassius lit the alert beacon code signaling operation completion onto Einarr's internal display and the pilot allowed a vicious grin to stretch his features as he moved the stick in tight, precise movements. A second group of enemy craft disappeared in a flash of ignited atmosphere followed by an expanding cloud of debris.

“Section clear, watch for reinforcements the fleet should be here shortly to put some backbone into this battle line.” Einarr nodded as the Jexxel squadron leads voice rang once more over the speakers, his eyes already picking out the series of detonation in the distance as a pair of DP-20's were reduced to wreckage under the stations guns.

“Confirmed lead, should we hang here in over watch or move on to soften up the enemy fleet?” Einarr's voice rang inside his helmet, monotone exhaustion clear in the tone as he waited quietly his senses scanning the columns of codes as status updates broadcast from the Cassius Gestalt began running across his systems.

OOC:
Word count: 692
AAR: The AI attack takes control of the majority of the second Golans systems bringing the enemy guns to bear on their own fleet. Jexxel flight completes the clearing of the disoriented and system deprived fighters threatening the boarding craft and deliver their charges to the primary Golan. Einarr request new orders from Jexxel flight lead.

OOC:  Sorry for the short post, been suffering from a touch of writers block but doing the best I can despite it.
FM/CPO/Einarr "Norsedragoon" Ghylthir/Besh 2/S:46 Jexxel/W:101 Blade/ISD Paragon /TF:A/2Flt/FC/VEN/VE
[MC1] [MC2] [SoA] [IG]  (=^Eng^=) {AFM} {Astr} {VehM} {SfrM} {Gunn} {GrAt} {XenMA}
ComNet > Neutral Messages > Archived StoryNet > Chapter 9: Navy Part 1: Arrival  |  New Posts    
  Pages:  [ 1 2 ]   

All times are CST. The time now is 8:54:52 PM
Comnet Jump:

Current Online Members - 0  |  Guests - 233  |  Bots - 1

< Contact Us - The Vast Empire >