Author
Topic:  To The Terrorists
Double Agent
ComNet n00b

Post Number:  19
Total Posts:  19
  RE: To The Terrorists
September 17, 2001 8:22:40 PM    View the profile of Double Agent 
I was going to post something about Tuesday's events sooner, but you know how things go.  However, now that I have had some time to think about it, I found an article that pretty much sums up what I think about this crap.  It's from Leonard Pitts, a columnist from the Miami Herald. "We'll go forward from this moment.  It's my job to have something to say. They pay me to provide words that help make sense of that which troubles the American soul. But in this moment of airless shock when hot tears sting disbelieving eyes, the only thing I can find to say, the only words that seem to fit, must be addressed to the unknown author of this suffering. You monster. You beast. You unspeakable bastard. What lesson did you hope to teach us by your coward's attack on our World Trade Center, our Pentagon, us? What was it you hoped we would learn? Whatever it was, please know that you  failed. Did you want us to respect your cause? You just damned your cause. Did you want to make us fear? You just steeled our resolve. Did you want to tear us apart? You just brought us together. Let me tell you about my people. We are a vast and quarrelsome family, a family rent by racial, social, political and class division, but a family nonetheless. We're frivolous, yes, capable of expending tremendous emotional energy on pop cultural minutiae -- a singer's revealing dress, a ball team's misfortune, a cartoon  mouse. We're wealthy, too, spoiled by the ready availability of trinkets and material goods, and maybe because of that, we walk through life with a certain sense of blithe entitlement. We are fundamentally decent, though -- peace-loving and compassionate. We struggle to know the right thing and to do it. And we are, the overwhelming majority of us, people of faith, believers in a just and loving God. Some people -- you, perhaps -- think that any or all of this makes us weak. You're mistaken. We are not weak. Indeed, we are strong in ways that cannot be measured by arsenals. IN PAIN Yes, we're in pain now. We are in mourning and we are in shock. We're still grappling with the unreality of the awful thing you did, still working to make ourselves understand that this isn't a special effect from some Hollywood block-buster, isn't the plot development from a Tom Clancy novel. Both in terms of the awful scope of their ambition and the probable final death toll, your attacks are likely to go down as the worst acts of terrorism in the history of the United States and, probably, the history of the world. You've bloodied us as we have never been bloodied before. But there's a gulf of difference between making us bloody and making us fall. This is the lesson Japan was taught to its bitter sorrow the last time anyone hit us this hard, the last time anyone brought us such abrupt and monumental pain. When roused, we are righteous in our outrage, terrible in our force. When provoked by this level of barbarism, we will bear any suffering, pay any cost, go to any length, in the pursuit of justice. I tell you this without fear of contradiction. I know my people, as you, I think, do not. What I know reassures me. It also causes me to tremble with dread of the future. In the days to come, there will be recrimination and accusation, fingers pointing to determine whose failure allowed this to happen and what can be done to prevent it from happening again. There will be heightened security, misguided talk of revoking basic freedoms. We'll go forward from this moment sobered, chastened, sad.  But determined, too.  Unimaginably determined. THE STEEL IN US You see, the steel in us is not always readily apparent. That aspect of our character is seldom understood by people who don't know us well. On this day, the family's bickering is put on hold. As Americans we will weep, as Americans we will mourn, and as Americans, we will rise in defense of all that we cherish. So I ask again: What was it you hoped to teach us? It occurs to me that maybe you just wanted us to know the depths of your hatred. If that's the case, consider the message received. And take this message in exchange: You don't know my people. You don't know what we're capable of. You don't know what you just started. But you're about to learn."
Cosmic
ComNet Disciple

[VE-ARMY] High Colonel
[VE-DJO] Krath Prophet(ess) (KPR)
[VE-VEEC] Chief Editor

Post Number:  2332
Total Posts:  7772
September 17, 2001 10:08:45 PM    View the profile of Cosmic 
Double Agent, nice speech, but however, no matter if it's just a quote or your own creation, please respect the CoC and put * marks in the swear words. I know of the situation the world is in, but we also cannot lose our own judgement and respect for everyone else who looks on here.  So please, and I know that this should go to all of us, put * within the swear words IF you are going to say so.

-----------------------
AAS-4/SL/1LT Cosmic/3SQD/1PLT/1COMP/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE [OPE][OTH][OPA][IH][CDS][IOC]
Journeyman Cosmic/VEDJ Academy/VCF Deathscythe
Argon Viper
ComNet Expert

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-VEEC] Senior Writer

Post Number:  1789
Total Posts:  1789
September 18, 2001 6:37:07 PM    View the profile of Argon Viper 
/me hears a mention of faith.  Agent, please don't use faith to show someone as good, it offends me(honestly, it does.).  The people who did this were acting with their faith, the Aztecs acted by their faith, Hitler(yes Hitler) used the bible to justify his genocide.  I don't mind if you use faith in reference or anything else, but please don't use it to say that someone is good.  Thank you. Argon(yes, I am an athiest, I admit that freely)
Raziel
ComNet Member

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-DJO] Dark Jedi Knight (DJK)

Post Number:  864
Total Posts:  2873
September 19, 2001 12:59:20 AM    View the profile of Raziel 
Thanks Argon for that comment, i have to agree with you on that.
Majere
ComNet Novice

[VE-DJO] Dark Jedi Master (DJM)
[VE-VEHC] Sector Admiral

Post Number:  37
Total Posts:  37
September 19, 2001 1:03:42 PM    View the profile of Majere 
Faith can be good and faith can be bad.  As is the circle of life as we know it.  If it offends you then life itself should offend you as faith is all around us, enveloping us all involuntarily.  You have faith in that of being an athiest so in your own words you offend yourself. I liked Double Agent's cut and paste post.  It was very patriotic and it pretty much sums up a lot of what most Americans are feeling these days. All I can say and recommend is for everyone to not get carried away with the narrow mindedness that often follows a set of beliefs (whether its Athiesm, Christianity, or Muslim, or whatever).  Keep in mind this world is made up of a number of beliefs and we all share the same goal...Peace.  Sometimes there can be no peace without bloodshed.  However, the ultimate goal is always...peace. Terrorism follows the belief to cause as much harm as possible to a large amount of people in a public forum.  Hopefully, we can all come together to get rid of this belief.
Cosmic
ComNet Disciple

[VE-ARMY] High Colonel
[VE-DJO] Krath Prophet(ess) (KPR)
[VE-VEEC] Chief Editor

Post Number:  2332
Total Posts:  7772
September 19, 2001 5:19:19 PM    View the profile of Cosmic 
I, myself, am a Christian.  I believe that Faith is good at times like this.  I know that Terrorism is the worst kind of action that a Human can do on this planet.  Killing people just because they want to, just because they want to show that they have power, or just to prove to us that they are swift adversaries that just want to make a point.  Whatever the case may be, Terrorism is of the lowest action that someone can join or do, in my book.  I believe that it is appropriate for me to say to the terrorists of all nations that: We, the United States of America, know you are there, and that wherever you are, you will be hunted down, and be paying for your crimes...sooner than you think.

-----------------------
AAS-4/SL/1LT Cosmic/3SQD/1PLT/1COMP/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE [OPE][OTH][OPA][IH][CDS][IOC]
Adept Cosmic/VEDJ Academy/VCF Deathscythe
Argon Viper
ComNet Expert

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-VEEC] Senior Writer

September 19, 2001 5:53:13 PM    View the profile of Argon Viper 
Majere, I have no objection to others having faith, or of faith being mentioned on this comnet.  I DO have an objection to faith being used to mean "good".  As you know, even these terrorists had FAITH that what they were doing was right.  You can talk about religion all you want(just don't try to convert me or I'll use Occam's Razor on you  ), just don't use it that way.  As to the terrorists, I believe that the worst possible act in international violence(mainly war) is the deliberate targeting of civilians.  Sure, the US has killed it's share of civilians, but did it mean to?  No.  These people have deliberately attacked large civilian buildings.  I agree that the strike on the Pentagon was militarily viable, but there can be no excuse for crashing two planes(full of more civilians I might add) into two massively populated civilian buildings. Argon Viper
Majere
ComNet Novice

[VE-DJO] Dark Jedi Master (DJM)
[VE-VEHC] Sector Admiral

Post Number:  37
Total Posts:  37
September 19, 2001 6:40:42 PM    View the profile of Majere 
Faith can be good or bad so I am confused what offends you.  Using faith in a good sense is just as good as using it in a bad sense.  If it offends you....tough s***.  As for trying to convert you.  As I am a Christian of 30 years; I simply don't believe in Athiests.  So you don't have to worry about me trying to comvert someone with limited knowledge on religeon.
Double Agent
ComNet n00b

Post Number:  19
Total Posts:  19
September 19, 2001 8:04:06 PM    View the profile of Double Agent 
I have a couple of things to say: First, Don't let a couple of lines take away from the great meaning in this article.  I think the main part of the "Faith" line is, "We are fundamentally decent, though -- peace-loving and compassionate. We struggle to know the right thing and to do it."  To me this says that just because you may not like our culture does not mean it is wrong.  The article mentions faith only once and if you are only seeing that you are losing the meaning of the entire piece.  I am a Christian.  You might be different, but please, respect my right to talk about it and i will respect yours to not do so.  I believe we need faith in a time like this--faith in our god, maybe, or faith in our friends and family.  Faith in our ability to go on after such a tragedy.  Faith in SOMETHING.  This faith gives us strength in the face of tragedy, and I think this cannot be a bad thing.  This may sound stupid but it is the truth.  If my friend is shipped out to Afghanistan I will pray for him every night, whether YOU think it will make a difference or not, and whether I think so, too!  So please, don't criticize peoples' use of faith, religion, etc., because we respect your atheism when we could very well try to pick it apart.  But I respect peoples' beliefs too much to do that. Also, in response to Cosmic, I read over the article several times but i found no "swear words".  Sorry if i misunderstand what u said, but I don't see how anyone over 5 years old would find any of the words offensive.  Have a talk with me later and I will see what i can do, but please, again, don't let one minor detail take away from the meaning. Thank you
Argon Viper
ComNet Expert

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-VEEC] Senior Writer

September 21, 2001 5:54:04 PM    View the profile of Argon Viper 
Let me put my point in plain English.  I have absolutely no objection to you using religion or faith at all except in one category, using it to define good.  Other than that, feel free to lead mass here, and I won't care.  Also, I belive that praying really does have an effect on reality... /me refrains from reciting the scientific evidence.  As to Majere saying that I have to have faith in something, he's right, I do.  I have faith in science to show me reality, I'm sure everyone else does too(and if you don't, how have you gotten through school?).  I am not anti-religious, I have no objection to it unless it is used to define(or kill) something(or someone) else, that is where I draw the line.  I would also like to make an addition to the sympathies expressed on this thread.  I would like to express my sympathy to the followers of Islam for how their absolutely peaceful faith was converted to an act of violent attrocity. Argon
Jociam Geist
ComNet Novice

Post Number:  27
Total Posts:  27
September 30, 2001 2:55:13 PM    View the profile of Jociam Geist 
I'm coming into this argument a bit  late, but nevertheless. On the subject of the "Faith" of the terrorists... 1) Islamic law prohibits the killing of civilians in war. Therefore the terrorists have commited a crime against God by their law. 2) Jyhad dictates a perpetual war against unbelievers, but guess what? Not to long ago Christians and Jews were not considered unbelievers! God, Allah, and Yaweh are all the same guy, and all three religions are considered by Islam as valid teachings of God. Considering there are no great contridictions between them, that should be understandable. 3) no matter what faith the attackers had in their actions, this attack WAS an attack on our faith as christian americans. It is vitally important that we show that our faith remains. 4) and lastly... Be careful about applying occam's razor to the question of religion, Argon. You may find that the simplest answer is one you don't want to believe

-----------------------
Leftenant/Srg Maj Geist/ Fallen Angel

It is not the height of excellence to see a victory apparent to the common man, nor to fight and conquer and earn the praise of the kingdom. To lift an autumn hair is no sign of strength; to see the sun and moon is no sign of sharp sight; to hear the noise of thunder is no sign of a quick ear.
--Sun Tzu, The Art Of War
Argon Viper
ComNet Expert

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-VEEC] Senior Writer

September 30, 2001 10:48:09 PM    View the profile of Argon Viper 
Okay, some counter points. 1)You're absolutely right, but they believe that WE are criminals, every single one of us, and therefore... well, have you seen the punishments they have in the Islamic world?  Makes the bombing seem almost merciful...  /me shudders. 2)First off, it's Jihad, not Jyhad, and second, Jihad does not mean a war, one can commit Jihad by going to school, or going to one's job.  And we have to keep in mind, the Islamics didn't start this war against the Christians, the Christians did, anyone remember the Crusades?  I know this seems stupid, but grudges have been kept longer. 3)This was NOT an attack against Christian Americans, it was an attack against the entire Western world.  If it was an attack against Christians, they would've hit that famous cathedral in NY(Forgot it's name...), and if it was just against Americans, it would;ve hit the Statue of Liberty.  Instead, it hit a worldwide symbol, the twin towers of capitalism. 4)Please, think about Occams Razor a little bit, is it simpler that an omnicient, all powerful being exists or that an omnicient, all powerful being doesn't exist?  You have to ask that before you ask if the bible is simpler than science. -------------- Argon Viper
Jociam Geist
ComNet Novice

October 1, 2001 1:21:46 AM    View the profile of Jociam Geist 
4) As a student of the sciences raised by scientists, I know full well that the majority of the time science cannot give you the answers. There are more things to life, Argon, then are told about in your new religion. 3) Any attack against the western world is an attack on the fundamental pillars that built it. Whether you like it or not, Chrisitanity is one of those pillars. If you ever ask yourself how God could allow this, then there's your effect. 2) All of which are forms of war, merely played out on a smaller scale and a more peaceful battlefield. And the principles of the Jyhad (which actually is an acceptable spelling) predate the crusades. 1) Hitler thought the Jews were a cancer on Germany. These madmen tell children it is their god given duty to strap explosives to themselves and blow up CIVILIANS. I don't care if Osama Bin Laden and his ilk call us the Great Satan. EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM HAS COMMITED CRIMES AGAINST HUMANITY.

-----------------------

It is not the height of excellence to see a victory apparent to the common man, nor to fight and conquer and earn the praise of the kingdom. To lift an autumn hair is no sign of strength; to see the sun and moon is no sign of sharp sight; to hear the noise of thunder is no sign of a quick ear.
Argon Viper
ComNet Expert

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-VEEC] Senior Writer

October 1, 2001 6:03:42 PM    View the profile of Argon Viper 
I agree that they are crimes against humanity.  Another problem this brings up is, why didn't we notice this insignificant(sarcastic) fact when they were taking out Israelis and Europeans.  Heck, the attack on the USS Kole shoulda warned us.  Also, I agree that science cannot answer every question, with what we know right now.  My belief is, that with the incredibly meager science we have right now, that if we did know everything, then the universe would be a pretty d*mn boring place to live in.  At this point, we know about .000000000(keep going for a couple more bajillion decimal points)1% of what there is to know.  My belief is that there is a scientific answer for everything out there, we just have yet to find it.  If there is an answer I can't find, I'm not gonna just give up and say "God did it", I'm gonna see what I'm missing.  Sorry, but to me, religion seems to be a way of quitting before you reach the end of the race and convincing yourself that you did the right thing. Argon
Jociam Geist
ComNet Novice

October 1, 2001 7:53:05 PM    View the profile of Jociam Geist 
five years before world war 2 we ignored the sinking of one of our gunboats by the japanese airforce. When Pearl Harbor happened we were gripped in a rage that marched us across the pacific and burned Japan's largest cities to ashes. America, like God, is slow to anger but terrible in its retribution. As for the other part, I don't think you give religion a fair evaluation. I know a lot of people who say "we know god made the heavens and the earth, we still aren't sure how, but we would love to figure it out." Religion and science are not adversaries, and quite frequently they are the exact same thing. Here's a story I have told at least once. One man says he worships god, another man says he follows the sciences. The man that follows the sciences tells the man that worships god that he is being foolish. Science holds the answers. The man that worships God smiles and asks the scientist if he believes in the big bang. The scientist says yes. The believer responds, saying that despite years of research science has not produced any hard evidence of the occurence of the big bang that can stand up to scrutiny (true story!). All "evidence" of the big bang exists in mathematical models that cannot be proven or disproven. The scientist gets impatient and says that science will unravel the secrets of the world in due time. We can't be expected to know everything yet (also a true story, you have no idea how many times I have heard this). The believer smiles again, and asks the scientist if he is an athiest. The scientist snickers and says he would think that was obvious. The believer smiles yet again and says the answer really is obvious, the scientist isn't. He then wishes the scientist luck with figuring out his god and walks away. I haven't been trying to convert you Argon. I don't do that sort of thing. I just wanted to point out to you that you aren't an athiest. You are as religious as I am.

-----------------------

Argon Viper
ComNet Expert

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-VEEC] Senior Writer

October 2, 2001 6:12:53 PM    View the profile of Argon Viper 
I would like to point out, at this time, that as much evidence has been gathered for the Big Bang as has been gathered for support of God. That, is why I don't believe in the Big Bang. I believe in Evolution, simply because it has the most proof of it. Also, if you consider believing that the mathematical formulas of science run the universe a religion, then yes, I am religious. However, because I don't believe in God, I am an agnostic, and because I believe in science, that makes me an athiest to me, your opinion is your own. I also agree that the wrath of the US can be terrible, however, in the case of Japan, it was terribly overused. The death total would have been LESS if they had not dropped the bomb, and there was absolutely no need to drop the second one. That is what I fear in this new war. I have no doubt that the Taliban forces can kill and maim enough US soldiers to cause the US to withdraw ground forces, and begin to consider weapons of mass destruction. Also, as you pointed out, this was an attack on the western world, of which Chritianity is a pillar. However, this was also an attack against much of the Far East, Japan, South Korea, Australia(they don't count much as "Far East", but they're in the area), Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia, and the rest. This makes it a far bigger strike than just at Christianity, they managed to hit Buddhism, Shinto, and parts of Hindu in this attack as well. Also, by the fact that Christianity is derived from Judaism and the fact that we support Israel, this can be seen as a spillover from the conflict that has been going on for more than 50 years. --------------- The Rambler...
[This message has been edited by Argon Viper (edited October 2, 2001 6:14:05 PM)]
Jociam Geist
ComNet Novice

October 3, 2001 4:28:51 PM    View the profile of Jociam Geist 
1) As the believer said. Good luck in figuring out your God. 2) Actually, US casualties for an invasion of Japan were predicted to run well over a million. And given what we witnessed during the operations at Iwo Jima and Okinawa, we had every reason to believe that casualties on the japanese side would have been far higher. The atomic bombs together killed aproximately half a million, including later aftereffects. That was a tactically reasonable action in a time when cold mathematics governs things. What I was refering to was the firebombing of Tookyoo and other cities. These had little more effect on the enemy's war machine than conventional bombing, and could only be described as a means to punish the japanese. In fact they killed more civilians than both of the atomic bombs. 2.1) The president and the military knows what they are doing. We've had vietnam, we've had a chance to learn from the soviet mistakes when they invaded Afganistan. And so far our guys are doing this operation EXACTLY RIGHT. I know that lots of people have no faith in our president and his ability to get things done because he has trouble expressing himself in public. People like to think he's a stupid man. Being someone who has even more trouble expressing himself in public, I have no tollerance for that. 3) I never said it was aimed exclusively at christianity.

-----------------------

Argon Viper
ComNet Expert

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-VEEC] Senior Writer

October 3, 2001 6:07:49 PM    View the profile of Argon Viper 
Well, as to the President being stupid, you're right, he's not.  You can't be stupid and become President without someone pretty smart behind the scenes, so it's not bad.  But I sorta lost faith in him when he was asked,"What do you think of the fact that the allowable emigrations from Poland have been cut?" and he answered,"I didn't know you couldn't come freely into my country...".  That sorta did it in for me    However, if he's thinking of a protracted land war, or massive air raids(which is all I've heard of so far...), then he'd doing it the wrong way.  The Soviets tried the massive land invasion, and failed.  Air strikes would only kill more civilians, pissing them off enough to support the terrorists.  Unlike Vietnam, we need to capture the hearts and minds of these people as we capture their country, not take the country and win them after.  Here's two quotes to think about(the source is Newsweek, so it's reliable.)  When a senior Arab League official was asked why bin Laden was such a hero in the Middle East, he responded,"All this military buildup for just one man?  The Americans are making him famous.  Imagine it you don't get him."  Also, a source involved in US military planning said,"What the West shouldn't underestimate is the ferocity of the Afghans, their ability to be absolutely cruel is, in a sense, what is foreign to the US." Argon PS - why are we spending so much time on this?  Does it really matter? 
Jociam Geist
ComNet Novice

October 3, 2001 7:14:43 PM    View the profile of Jociam Geist 
Well, the president and his boys have been keeping their mouth shut about what they intend to do, but heres what I have heard in terms of actual actions being taken: 1) Us and the brits have had spec ops teams scouting since the 13th. Learning the ground. 2) The units actually being called up are elements of light infantry divisions. One specifically mentioned today was the 10th mountain. These are not invasion forces. They lack the heavy equipment for invading or the strategic manueverability to conduct mobile offensive warfare. What they are especilially good at is going in in small units and making key targets disapear. In essence, kill teams. 3) This operation was described by the prez as requiring the use of Airpower and "special ground forces". At no time has he or any of his staff indicated that a conventional invasion of Afghanistan was being planned. 4) I submit that there is no indication that we intend to invade Afghanistan. I think there is every indication that we intend to violently make a number of antagonists disapear. As to why we are keeping up with this discussion, why not? Its fun sometimes to just ramble on about stuff

-----------------------

Ramon Stonefish
ComNet Member

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major

Post Number:  382
Total Posts:  619
October 4, 2001 7:58:45 PM    View the profile of Ramon Stonefish 
My 2p: 1. Faith != religion 2. Faith != good 3. Faith != bad 4. Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is USUALLY the most true. 5. Science has the potential to explain everything 6. God has the potential to explain everything 7. Science and religion are both equally correct from their practitioners point of view. Neither is right, neither is wrong. 8. As far as Osama bin Laden is concerned he is doing humanity a favour by killing capitalists. (Just trying to be objective) As the wronged party do we really have a right to judge? 9. I heard a lovely theory the other day where someone proved via mathematics that nothing can be proved mathematically. 10. What was there BEFORE the Big Bang and what caused it?11. Military Intelligence will be an oxymoron for as long as MI continues to overestimate technology and underestimate Faith and Conviction. The "Islamic Fundamentalists" (in quotes because what they do, IMO, is not following the fundamentals of Islam AT ALL) fight because they believe incredibly strongly in what they are doing, so much so that they would die for it. Western troops fight because they get paid and when offered a suicide mission, most if not all would say "Pullest thou the other one for it hath bells upon it," or words to that effect. 12. You can be very stupid and become president and have a lot of stupid people running things. Define stupid. 13. Monkey.
Argon Viper
ComNet Expert

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-VEEC] Senior Writer

October 4, 2001 11:40:33 PM    View the profile of Argon Viper 
LOL!!!!  Go Fish!!!  Actaully, faith can be good or bad, depending on how it's used(do you realise how many born-again Christians I've had to meet?  ::shudders:.  Nice work Fish, you put into points what I've been trying to say the whole time.  Also, about Occam's Razor, the theory IS that all things being equal, the simplest answer is ALWAYS correct, we just don't have sophisticated enough measurements to be sure about that equal part.  You're also right that we need to see this from the terrorists point of view in order to defeat them, we can't defeat what we don't understand(wow, I should add that to my quotes...).  Also, the reason I argue so heavily AGAINST major military action is that I've heard the idea of nuking Afghanistan so many times it's making me sick    Oh well, that's all of the rant I have time for tonight(bedtime), and Geist, you're right, it IS fun to ramble  Argon
Jociam Geist
ComNet Novice

October 5, 2001 2:28:21 AM    View the profile of Jociam Geist 
"Know yourself, Know your adversary, and you need not fear the outcome of a thousand encounters" -Master Sun, The art of war. I don't think there's really anything all that objective about saying Bin Laden did the world a favor by killing Capitalists. I think that is about as objective as suggesting turning Afghanistan into a radioactive glass sculpture will do the world a favor. As human beings it should not only be our right but our responsibilty to PRESERVE LIFE. Right now, regretably it seems that the best way to do that is to make sure these ANIMALS can never harm another innocent again. And if that means killing each and every one of them, then by God lets get to it!

-----------------------

Bear
ComNet Member

[VE-NAVY] Captain (CAP)
[VE-VEEC] Chief Editor

Post Number:  949
Total Posts:  947
October 5, 2001 6:23:53 AM    View the profile of Bear 
I must admit to being slightly confused. Is the US trying to take Bin Laden away from Afghanistan, or Afghanistan away from Bin Laden? Basically, is he the target, or is it the Taleban? I am also confused as to how the western world is "right" in this matter. Yes, Bin Laden has committed a terrible crime, and should be brought for justice for doing so, but who are we to judge on what is right and wrong in the world? Bin Laden notices that capitalism is, in a strange way, evil. I lived in the Middle East, where the Arabs were the upper classes, the Westerners were the middle classes and the East Asians were the lower classes. The lower people looked up in awe at me, because they thought I was some kind of "God", because of my countrys money. If you told one of them that there are homeless people in the UK and the US, I seriously doubt any would believe you. Another point to remember on this "Anti-Capitalism" topic, is the most famous man in history. A Jew, who overturned Jewish Capitalist Money-Lenders outside the great Synagogue in Jerusalem, 2000 years ago. I don't know his exact words, but I do know he called those money-lenders "cheats" and other such words, and said they were being dishonourable by not sharing their wealth. So, the Jew overturned the stalls, and let the money be picked up by the poor. If you think a bit about it, that man was saying Capitalism was evil, and we should share the wealth. Which is exactly what Usama Bin Laden appears to want as well. And in case you haven't worked out who that man was, it was Jesus Christ. The man who started the West's main religion. And, in a way, he is just like Bin Laden, although he never believed in killing. I believe that Bin Laden wants to overturn capitalism, just like Christ wanted to. One more thing I want to bring up: The issue of Ancient Islamic Law being "outdated". Before September, people were campaigning for the UN and NATO to make trade sanctions against the Taleban, and even bomb them, because they are following an "Outdated Islamic Code of Law". That "Outdated Law" says that Muslims must not kill innocent people to make their point, but can kill criminals. Westerners feel that that Law is outdated severely, and maybe Bin Laden does too. After all, the Russians killed innocent Afghan civilians, among others, and the Westerners (Americans and Europeans) have a string of "war crimes" behind them. For example, Iraq invaded Kuwait, so the Coalition sent stealth aircraft into Iraq and took out various targets, without warning. In the eyes of the people who hate the West for that, there is almost no differance between blowing up a radar station in Iraq and destroying the World Trade Center. I must stress that these are not my views. My views are a lot differant, and I would prefer not to discuss them here. One thing I feel I must voice my own opinion on, however, is the "Attack on the Western World". The destruction of the WTC was not an attack on the "Evil West", or the "Evil US", or "Evil Christianity". It was not an attack to show how evil the Westerners are, but an attack to show how GREAT the MUSLIM EXTREMISTS are. I myself have even less respect for them now than I ever did, but in the Muslim peoples eyes, Bin Laden probably looks like a re-incarnated Allah. Think of it like this: If Bin Laden could destroy a famous building in the West, he would look good. Famous buildings include : The WTC; The Empire State Building; Statue of Liberty; CNN Tower; Eiffel Tower; Big Ben; Houses of Parliament; Buckhingam Palace; etc.  If Bin Laden could destroy ANY of those, he would look very good to his supporters. But, you know what they say.. The Bigger the Better. Look at that list. Which building is biggest? The Statue of Liberty is how big? Quarter the size of the WTC? Half perhaps? I'm not really sure.. but destroying it would be far less impressive than destroying both the WTC towers. Bin Laden is thinking about making himself look better, not making the West look worse. So perhaps we can learn from him. Instead of making him look worse (by bombing Afghanistan), perhaps we could make ourselves look better? I'm not entirely sure how, but it is worth thinking about.. P.S. Please don't get at me for this. I am trying to voice an opinion that obviously not many people have considered.

-----------------------
2nd Lieuteneant Bear
Kaph Squadron Commander
Navy Defense Medal
Long Service Medal

CMDR/2LT Bear/Kaph 1-1/1/mSSD Atrus/1ESF/VE/VEN/(=A=) [BRC] [NDM] [LSM]
Jociam Geist
ComNet Novice

October 5, 2001 5:00:34 PM    View the profile of Jociam Geist 
1) Is our target Bin Laden or the Taliban? The answer to that question should be yes. Its time we got off our *** and stopped fooling around. Our target should be the bad guys. ALL THE BAD GUYS. 2) You contradicted yourself by saying it was a terrible crime that should warrent punishment then asking what gives us the right to decide what is right and wrong? In any case think of it this way. If we have the right to decide what is right and wrong, then we can decide that Bin Laden is guilty of mass murder and deal with him properly. If we don't have a right to decide what is right and wrong, then we can just decide to play the game by his rules. His rules involve murder on an epic scale. What's good for the goose... 3)Christ teaches that the fundamental commandment is to love thy neigbor. Thats it. There is no political message in that, there is no great pronouncement against the capitalists. Whether you are catholic, capitalist, agnostic, islamic, communist, socialist, fascist, unitarian, scientoligist, hindu, mathematician, or just this guy at a computer that is all that is required. I really wish people would stop reading so much into the scripture. Riteousness is not defined by the confessional, or by the guy over there waving incense around, or your bank book, or by calling everyone comrade and meaning it. As an old friend once told me, "Riteousness is defined by you being able to look yourself in the mirror every morning and knowing you have done what you should have done, and knowing that you still are not perfect and wanting to become better than you are." 4) The average muslim doesn't consider Bin Laden to be a re-incarnated Allah. In Afghanistan, like everywhere else, the average guy just wants to go about his business. 5) I don't think we should make him look worse, I think we should make him dead. We are never going to be free of malignant forces that want to destroy us. That is a given. I don't think, however that there is any reason why we should pussyfoot around. Stop pretending that the threat of death will teach other people a lesson. Start deciding that killing the monster will at least ensure that he won't kill again.

-----------------------
Roving superutility man
The third meanest quaker in recorded history

"Riteousness is the will to want to be better than you are" -Alex Hazen
Argon Viper
ComNet Expert

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-VEEC] Senior Writer

October 5, 2001 6:16:31 PM    View the profile of Argon Viper 
Well, all I have to say about the peacefulness of Christianity is, have you read Levidicus 26?  Sick stuff about God ripping out your eyeballs and feeding them to your enemies if you don't believe in him.  And that goes on for about 5 pages... Anyways, Bear's right, we will do better by making ourselves look good than by making bin Laden look bad.  Take this into account, in Vietnam, we decided to firebomb the jungles, kill everyone who looked Asian, and basically make @$$es of ourselves.  You DO know what happened in that war, right? The reason for this is, because we never had the support of the people, they weren't willing to help us.  We never built roads, so they never told us where the enemy was.  We never helped them get out of the fuedal system, so they withheld whatever they knew.  We even took innocent civilians and slaughtered them just to meet quotas set of the amount of Vietcong that had to be killed.  Is it any wonder they didn't help us? In Afghanistan, we can't go in with the assumption that every Muslim in the country is out to get us, or they will be.  Killing bin Laden IS a goal, I agree with that, but it is a long term goal.  First, we need the help of the people, and, at the same time, it will deny him that support.  We need to build roads, so that the villagers won't spit on us.  We need to build up industry, so that they'll be willing to tell us,"yes, there is a terrorist hideout in those mountains."  These people may not have gone to Ivy League colleges, or even gone to school, but they're still the smartest people in the region, and by winning them to our side, we can save massive amounts of bloodshed on both sides.  After, and only after, we have won the hearts and minds of the Afghan people, can we begin to look for bin Laden.  If we don't, we will find ourselves overwhelmed with massive amounts of false information, massive amounts of suicidal extremist Islamic gunmen, and we will simply be shoved out of Afghanistan.  My idea of this is simple, build up the standard of living, build up the standard of education, build up the standard of the jobs in the nation, and let the people see that we really do want to help them.  Then, after a few years spent gaining their trust, ask them where to find bin Laden, and they will gladly tell us.  Ask them to overthrow the overbearing Taliban government, and they will gladly do it.  But, if we ran in now and asked them to do it, they would probably end up mooning us or something    If we take our time, and don't rush into anything, we will be far better off than if we rush in and try to shoot everything in sight. Well, that's my daily rant  Argon
Jociam Geist
ComNet Novice

October 5, 2001 10:00:19 PM    View the profile of Jociam Geist 
It makes sense, Master Sun smiles upon you. The only problem is the taliban is there now. They aren't going to allow us to go in there and turn the people against them. If possible something like that could be started in those areas under control of the oposition, but that does not eliminate the imediate problem. WE ARE AT WAR. Our citizens have been killed, our armed forces have been attacked. Whether we know it or not we have been at war since Bin Laden declared his intention to destroy the great Satan. It's time we start acting like it.

-----------------------
Roving superutility man

Argon Viper
ComNet Expert

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-VEEC] Senior Writer

October 6, 2001 9:11:33 AM    View the profile of Argon Viper 
True, but being at war doesn't mean you have to lose all your synapses    If we go in, take an area, one that's small enough for us to hold against Vietcong-like guerillas, and get those people's support before we move on, we will leave an area where the people are willing to fight to remain under our control, not to get our from under it.  If we can do that, it will cut down on casualties by the thousands, because we won't have to spend troops as riot police the way the English do in Northern Ireland, and we won't have to worry about being shot in the back while we patrol our own territory.  If we take it slow, we will save hundreds and thousands of American, Afghan, and whoever-the-h*ll-else-happens-to-be-in-the-area's lives.  And I have a slight feeling that they will appreciate that little fact  Argon
Bear
ComNet Member

[VE-NAVY] Captain (CAP)
[VE-VEEC] Chief Editor

Post Number:  949
Total Posts:  947
October 6, 2001 3:10:46 PM    View the profile of Bear 
Erm.. Argon, one thing I have to say to you.. In a political sense, England doesn't actually exist. England is a kind of "State" in the United Kingdom, just as Texas is a state in the United States. Therefore, if you say the English do so-and-so in Ireland, you would have to say that the Texans may attack Afghanistan, or something like that. Please understand that the United Kingdom is a country. It is made up of Northern Ireland, and Great Britain. Great Britain is in turn made up of England, Scotland and Wales. Each of those are in turn made up of regions/counties (differs between England and Scotland), such as Grampian (the one I'm in). England is not a political country, nor is Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland. Great Britain is not a political country either. The United Kingdom is. Therefore, on the passport of a British Citizen, it says "Citizen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" on the front, not "Citizen of England" or "Citizen of Scotland". So, please don't say "The English have done this and that". Say "The British have done this and that". And remember one thing.. There has never in the history of mankind been an English Empire. There was a British one (and still is, if you count Gibralter ). And one other thing. The Republic of Ireland has been independant of the United Kingdom since 1909 or thereabouts, and is a completely seperate nation. And the Irish Republican Army has nothing to do with the country. It is a seperate terrorist organisation, which basically preys on the people who it hates (i.e. The BRITISH and Protestants). Citizens of the Republic of Ireland can join the British Army, if they wish. I hope that explains a little bit about the United Kingdom

-----------------------
2nd Lieuteneant Bear
Kaph Squadron Commander
Navy Defense Medal
Long Service Medal

CMDR/2LT Bear/Kaph 1-1/1/mSSD Atrus/1ESF/VE/VEN/(=A=) [BRC] [NDM] [LSM]
Argon Viper
ComNet Expert

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-VEEC] Senior Writer

October 6, 2001 4:58:55 PM    View the profile of Argon Viper 
My appologies, American schools don't cover that much about the UK.  Also, last I heard, Northern Ireland was still under the control of British soldiers... Argon
Jociam Geist
ComNet Novice

October 6, 2001 11:27:33 PM    View the profile of Jociam Geist 
I submit that northern Ireland is not really under the "control" of anyone

-----------------------
Roving superutility man

ComNet > Neutral Messages > Archived Lounge > To The Terrorists  |  New Posts    
  Pages:  [ 1 2 ]   

All times are CST. The time now is 1:57:38 AM
Comnet Jump:

Current Online Members - 0  |  Guests - 235  |  Bots - 2

< Contact Us - The Vast Empire >