Communications Network
Vast Empire  -  New Posts  -  Search  -  Statistics  -  Login 

ComNet > Stormtrooper Corps > Archived Stormtrooper Corps Story Board > Poisoned Paradise (Blackjack)

Pages:  [ 1 2 ]   
Author
Topic:  Poisoned Paradise (Blackjack)
Tanus Solvona
ComNet Member

Tanus Solvona

[VE-ARMY] Gunnery Sergeant
[VE-ICS] Pirivateer Captain

Post Number:  515
Total Posts:  744
  RE: Poisoned Paradise (Blackjack)
July 17, 2009 6:10:27 PM    View the profile of Tanus Solvona 
Tanus looked around as they headed to the turbolift for what hopefully lead to their eventual prize. He pressed a button on the wall and the doors slid open, revealing a rather large turbolift compartment. From the looks of it, it had been used to lift and unload kit from the stores below. Or to move prisoners. Whichever comes first, I suppose. He waved everybody in and they complied. Orobos took his place at the back. Wrex, Kestrel, Corvin and Rogueboy took their places in the middle, with Garryll and Tanus taking their spot at the lead. Garryll shouldered the Tyrant and pressed the down button. The doors slid shut and the turbolift began its long decent down to the sublevels. Then the Blackjacks began to speculate; Wrex started.

“So how far down do you think this goes? Better yet, what level are headed to?”

“Well,” Tanus said, “there are only two sublevels. I’m assuming that the storage level is the lower of the two, while the upper level goes to the scientists. Then again, I could be wrong and it could be switched. Whatever the case, we’re getting close to our goal.”

There was a short silence, which was filled by the sound of humming as the turbolift descended down in the reaches of the base. It was then that Corvin asked a question.

“So what kind of strength do you think we’re gonna be seeing down there, Sarge?”

It was Garryll who answered.

“Well, I can figure that they left most of the heavier stuff up topside, which means that at best we’re be dealing with rifleman and maybe a few grenadiers. The scientists are just scientists; they may have a blaster, but when it comes down to it, chances are they’ll simply surrender. That won’t matter though; we’ll need to smoke ‘em anyway.”

“I dunno about that,” Tanus said.

“How do you figure?”

“Well, sure, we should take a few out just to be safe, and I’m sure highly amused by bookworms getting shot. But in all honesty we ought to take at least one or two hostage and back to Tadath. They could give us some valuable info that Jester couldn’t necessarily get.”

That brought about a few murmurs of agreement; meanwhile Rogueboy was grumbling to himself. Tanus turned to look at him.

“What’s up, Rogueboy?”

“Oh nothing. I just half expecting you people to start cracking a few jokes at the fact that I’m still just running around in my underwear.”

The entire squad simply turned to stare at Rogueboy, who appeared indignant as several fully armored Stormtroopers stared at the only man in boxer shorts clad in head to toe with an assortment of things that went boom. It was then that Rogueboy got all sheepish and put on a false smile. Tanus just sighed.

“Rogueboy, I’ve known you for two years. I have fully come to expect you to be running around clad only in boxers while in the forest from hell covered head to toe in explosives. So I honestly think me making any jokes whatsoever would be redundant.”

Rogueboy looked aghast. Had he not know the man, Tanus would have actually thought he was hurt. But then Rogueboy just simply started to chuckle.

“Damn it, you guys are no fun at all. I think I may need to leave.”

“I swear by my war hammer, I will end you if you try to leave.”

“I’m flattered, Tanus really. Do you lose that line on all the ladies?”

“Eh, only the ones that had been drinking. It’s not easy to pick up a pair of blondes in full armor.”

The rest of the squad chuckled at the comment. Rogueboy just kind of muttered to himself, “I really need to go out more…” The alarm beeped as they reached the first sublevel. Tanus raised his rifle as the doors slid open. When he stepped out, the hallways were black, except for the lines of emergency lights lining the hallway floors. He flipped on his headlamp and looked around. He moved off to the right, rifle still raised, as the others fanned out behind him. They all followed suit and turned on their headlamps.

“All right boys, stay sharp, we’re almost done here. We need to get to the lab, kill the bastards for keeping us here on a beautiful day, grab the research, take a few captive and bugger on out of here. And Rogueboy, for the love of the Maker, find some cover, and quickly.”

“Will do, Tanus.”

Tanus peered his head around a corner and set his infrared scanner on. He took a quick look around and saw nothing of any real importance. Damn. Looks like they are one floor below us. Best get moving then. As he turned around, he saw Garryll aiming the Tyrant down the opposite hall. He walked over to him and looked down the hall.

“Garryll, what’s up? See something?”

“No, heard something. Came from down the hall. Sounded like a door slam or something.”

“All right boys. Get ready. Garryll, you lead the way. We’ll follow you. Rogueboy, prepare to be a distraction.”

Rogueboy saluted as the squad moved up with the rest of Blackjack. Tanus slung the M-82G over his shoulder and grabbed his DT-57 from its holster and moved up the hall on Garryll’s left. When they came to a door, it was quite obviously sealed. Tanus looked it over to see if it could be hacked; the computer door lock was totally and completely fried. Looks it’s time to blow it and give them a reason to shoot.

“Rogue, hand me a charge. We’re blowing the door and making anything back there jump. Get a thermal det ready.”

Tanus set a charge on the door and primed it. When it was done he backed up against the wall while Wrex got to the other side, thermal det in hand. When the charge blew, the door blew open and Wrex tossed the detonator through the breach. Three seconds later, it went off, and Tanus heard several loud screams. He flipped off the wall and charged in, looking around for a target. Unfortunately, there weren’t any left to be had. The thermal det had killed whatever people were in the room, and for what it mattered there were not many. Tanus surveyed the room and saw only four bodies. When the smoke cleared, he saw a hallway that seemed to stretch on forever. Luckily, the hall was actually lit. He turned off his head lamp and took a step forward over the bodies and down the hall, leading hopefully to an incomplete virus and a trip home.
SL/GSGT/SF Tanus Solvona/2SQD/2PLT/1CMP/1REG/1BAT/Tadath/VEA [EW1][ES1][LM][BC][CoR][LoS][SRP][CDS][SCA][FCE][VUA-ARC-Lambda]

CA/PRVC Tanus Solvona/YZ-775 (m) Iron Victory/The Osk Company/ICS/VE

Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken - House Martell words, A Song of Ice and Fire
[This message has been edited by Tanus Solvona (edited July 18, 2009 2:28:46 AM)]
Garryll Gates
ComNet Member

Garryll Gates

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant First Class

Post Number:  776
Total Posts:  2159
July 18, 2009 8:00:13 AM    View the profile of Garryll Gates 
The hall had several doors on its sides. Many were closed, but amongst the ones that were open, Gates could see maintenance gear, small sleeping quarters and a mess hall.

They came across another obviously sealed door. Tanus waved Orobos up, and the Combat Engineer placed a charge on the door's main gears. Blackjack stacked either side of the door, Wrex readying another grenade, Tanus prepping his rifle, Rougeboy muttering about his lack of armor and Corvin stoic and ready. Gates nodded across the doorway to Wrex and Orobos. The latter pressed his detonator, and the door blew in. Wrex threw his grenade in, and the room exploded. Gates charged in, crouching and hugging the near wall. Two more Blackjacks poured in after him, and they cleared the room.

"No contacts," Gates muttered into his comlink. "Either the 'nade killed 'em all or there weren't any."

Corvin peered around a desk that had been upturned by the explosion. "Nothing here, sir."

Wrex, the last Blackjack to enter the room, inspected further into the room, an officer's quarters. "Nothing in here sir, he must have left earlier."

"Contacts!" Tanus hissed over the comm, followed by the same word from Rougeboy, followed by some swearing and gunfire.

"They flanked us!" Gates muttered, and ran outside the room, where most of Blackjack, with no cover, were prone and shooting. Rougeboy, armor less, had taken cover behind a small trash bin. Fire was coming from both sides of the hall, and had Blackjack pinned down. Gates immediately took a flurry of shots to the upper torso, and the earlier injury strained as his shields took the brunt of it.

"Let's get it on!" yelled Orobos, firing his underslung grenade launcher and scattering a trio of the enemy.

The rest of Blackjack was firing their rifles and the powerful 'thoom' of the Stouker being fired blasted another man apart. Gates knelt and opened fire with the Tyrant, struggling to keep the heavy weapon firing on-target. Rounds found their targets, but some bounced off. Others put large, bleeding holes in the armor, shattering inside and causing massive injury.

After a frantic minute of firing, Blackjack drove back one of the forces, and then moved that way, still firing suppressive fire at the following enemies. Another open door beckoned to them, and Blackjack dropped into a large room filled with tables, chairs, and a blackboard. Blackjack overturned a few tables for cover and prepped their weapons. The heavy thud of the Stormtroopers' boots came from outside in the hall.

One helmet poked across the entryway. Four rifles blew it apart. A white blur leaped across the gap; tracers chased it, but missed. A hand with a pistol in it blind-fired into the room; fire drove it away. Finally, a small cylinder was tossed into the room, rotating lazily.

"Flashbang!" yelled Gates, and Blackjack dove for cover.

The explosive released a blinding light and deafening noise. Fortunately, the Katarn systems had relatively good audio silencers and the masks polarized in a split second. Nevertheless, Blackjack had stars before their eyes and had an unpleasant noise pounded into their skulls. Rougeboy, unfortunately, wasn't wearing armor. He had been behind a thick piece of cover, so he was only deafened, and probably only temporarily.

The stars faded, and Stormtroopers appeared, charging Blackjack's positions with virbroblades and combat knives - a dozen Stormtroopers.

"Stand to and address!" Tanus ordered, dropping his rifle and yanking his warhammer into play.

Gates sent a man to his death with a spray from the Tyrant, and then jumped back, pulling his pistol and favored melee weapon, a vibroknuckler. A Stormtrooper dove over Gates' previous cover and Gates put a shot into his groin, dropping him. Another pair jumped over, and one, with a long sword, managed to whack the pistol out of his hand.

The man yelled in victory - all to brief when Tanus' huge warhammer smashed one of his arms. Gates dove at the other of the pair, a man with a combat knife in his left hand and a fist in the other.

Wrex threw a pair of his knives, managing to impale one in the eye-slit of a Stormtrooper, and the other in the mesh connecting the knee before charging the now half-blind, limping Thrawnist. Orobos swung his axe and nearly decapitated one man, but for a desperate counter by the Thrawnist victim.

Gates punched forward with his vibroknuckler, denting a section of armor. The man sliced in return, and put a large gash in the ASL's thick metal armor. The Thrawnists managed to knock Gates over with a kick, and then tried to throttle Gates through the neck plate, having dropped his knife. Gates grabbed the other's throat in return, but he was losing air.

"I have you, you son of a bitch," whispered the Thrawnist. "Die!"

"No...you," Gates got out, ejecting the vibroblade in his wrist armor.

The left hand blade slashed through the tough mesh forming the neck armor and punched into the main artery, severing it and spattering blood all over Gates' arm.

The Blackjack shoved the dead body off of him, and climbed to his feet. Some of the other Blackjacks sported new dents or gashes in their armor, but all were still on their feet. A half-dozen dead Thrawnists lay broken across the room, and the floor was drenched in their blood.

"The rest fell back when we killed the first wave," Orobos commented, wiping the blood off his blade.

"We need to move before they decide they want to wrestle with me again," Gates remarked, slinging the Tyrant.
ASL/SFCGarryll Gates/2SQD/2PLT/1COM/1RGT/1BAT/Tadath/VEA/VE [RoM][ICE][IH][CCA][BC][SRP][AS-1][ES1][CoS][EW1]
Imperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars Image
Imperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars Image
Muse rocks.
If these people want to fight me, I'll blow 'em straight to Hell!
Corvin
ComNet n00b

Corvin

[VE-ARMY] Private

Post Number:  24
Total Posts:  818
July 18, 2009 9:51:30 AM    View the profile of Corvin 
Corvin turned his newly-liberated E-11 over in his hands, checking for damage before inserting a fresh power pack. If nothing else, the exploding slugthrower had convinced him that using a damaged weapon was not a good idea.

"We need to move before they decide they want to wrestle with me again." Gates commented.

Tanus nodded. There was a glint of white from the corridor ahead, and blaster bolts flew through the air towards the squad. One of the stormtroopers moved slightly for a better firing position and promptly had his head removed by three slugthrower rounds.

The other stormtroopers continued to fire from cover, hitting several troopers. Corvin staggered back as a bolt hit him in the chest, gritting his teeth against the pain. The Katarn armour was tough, but even it couldn't last forever under fire. The hostile blasterfire slowed and became more infrequent as the troopers were mowed down by return fire and a thermal detonator. Another group took their positions rushed up and took their positions.

"Frak it. How many bucketheads can this place hold?" Corvin growled, adjusting his aim and squeezing off a shot. The stormtrooper firing on the squad with a flechette launcher abruptly stopped as the bolt blew through the centre of his faceplate.

"Less talking, more shooting!" someone yelled in reply. The Blackjacks were using their superior armour and grenade attachments to great effect, but every trooper they mowed down was replaced by two otheres. Corvin crouched down as his shields finally failed again, taken down by three blaster bolts to the chestplate. Garryll screamed obscenities as he laid down fields of chaingun fire, mowing down the stormtroopers.

Corvin heard a now-familiar buzz as his armour's shields finally recharged, and he got back up. The remaining Thrawnists were still taking postshots, but none of them were inflicting enough hits to take down the Blackjack's shields. They could be easily taken out by a well-aimed detonator, Gates's Tyrant, or even in hand to hand combat. Tanus raised a hand and started to gesture for the squad to advance when a trooper wearing some kind of non standard-armour with a large backpack appeared. Corvin had enough time to see that the weapon he was holding wasn't an E-11 or flechette launcher before the flames surrounded him.

He flailed wildly as the ignited fuel surrounded and covered him and the other two lead Blackjacks, taking down his shield at an alarming rate. He felt his flesh sear where the bodyglove had been damaged, and screamed. Suddenly, the heat and flames stopped, and he slumped against the wall.

"Flame trooper! Take him out!" someone yelled.

The trooper with the flamethrower fired again, but this time the Blackjacks were ready, moving away from the middle of the corridor. There was a thunk as the weapon's fuel canister went dry, followed by a clicking as the trooper tried to replace it.

He'd just placed a fresh canister in the weapon when Tanus's AP rounds tore through its armoured casing and ignited the fuel. The room beyond instantly became a fiery holocaust, with the half dozen troopers inside becoming screaming human torches. The Blackjacks watched and waited,  but no more blaster fire came.

Corvin stood, helped up by Wrex. Tanus glanced around, then nodded to himself.

"Time to grab the scientists and get out of here."

The sooner the better.
TRP/PVT Corvin/2SQD/2PLT/1COM/1RGT/1BAT/Tadath/VEA/VE
*HeavyWeapons *
Read the bloody manual!
"Never believe a rumour of my demise. I have as many lives as a cat. Also as many teeth, as many claws, and the same cheery, cooperative disposition." Peter Wiggin, Xenocide
Washington:"I knew this plan would never work!"
Church:"None of our plans ever work."
Caboose:"That's why we carry guns."
Wrex
ComNet Initiate

Wrex

[VE-ARMY] Corporal

Post Number:  159
Total Posts:  205
July 18, 2009 11:33:44 AM    View the profile of Wrex 
Blackjack continued down another of the level's many hallways, guns pointing into side rooms and closets. All they found were more and more of the same thing. Sleeping quarters, maintenance equipment. Wrex felt like he could describe a floor cleaner with extreme detail.

"Where in the hell is the lab?" He said aloud, his frustration mounting.

The rest of Blackjack was just as frustrated.

"Damned if I know." Tanus said as they turned to the right down another hallway. They continued on in silence, save for the clack of their boots against the floor.

Suddenly, the hallway ended. Wrex was confused. The hallway just ended, no doors or other hallways. It was a dead end.

"Now why in the hell-" Garryll said, before he was cut off by a mechanized voice.

"Identify." A small camera popped out of the wall connected to a mechanized arm. Blackjack stood, unsure of what to do.

"Identify." The voice repeated again, this time emphasized by the appearance of two blaster turrets.

Blackjack didn't give it a chance to repeat itself.

"Show 'em who we are Blackjack!" Tanus yelled, followed by the sharp sounds of the squads weapons. The turrets almost instantly exploded from the metal rounds while the camera now hung limply from it's arm.

"Blow the wall to hell. Wrex, ready a grenade." Tanus said.

As Orobos readied another charge, Wrex searched himself for a grenade. He didn't find one.

"Rogueboy. Spare a grenade?" Wrex said, turning to the armorless trooper. Rogueboy nodded, then tossed him one from his belt. Wrex barely caught it, juggling it before it settled in his hand.

Moving back over to Orobos, who now stood a fair distance from the wall, he ready the grenade. Hand on the detonator, he waited for Tanus to give the signal.

"Now!" Tanus yelled and Orobos pushed the detonator. A loud explosion filled the hallway and Blackjack was pelted with pieces of the wall. Wrex armed the grenade and threw it, making sure it went straight.

The grenade exploded, sending shards of glass flying at Blackjack. Their shields stopped the tiny pieces easily and Blackjack charged into the lab.

Several scientists stood behind a large steel counter, blaster pistols drawn. Their work was spread across the counter, several plants in vials. One contained a very green liquid. Wrex shuddered at what it could contain.

One of the bolder scientists tentatively shot at the invading troopers. He was immediately gunned down. The rest of the scientists cowered behind the counter, their courage gone with their comrade's life. They threw their guns toward the advancing Blackjack in a sign of surrender.

"Rogueboy, collect the weapons." Tanus said. They advanced around the counter to find the remaining four scientists, covered in blood from their fellow scientist. They seemed shocked by the way Blackjack had gunned him down.

"Which of you is the leader?" Tanus said, his voice magnified through the suit's external speakers. One of the scientists tentatively raised his hand, unsure what awaited him.

"Wrex, grab him." Tanus said. Wrex grabbed the scientist around the arm, none to lightly, and hoisted him to his feet. He pulled him off to the side as Tanus spoke to the rest of Blackjack.

"Kill the rest."

The scientists faces turned pale white as they looked at their executioners. Their helmets showing no emotion, Blackjack raised their rifles and fired, killing the three scientists in a blaze of metal.

The leader went limp in Wrex's arms. Wrex swore, then set the man down. He had passed out from the killing of the scientists. Quickly pulling some smelling salts from his medpac, he broke them open and wafted it under the man's nose.

The man jerked awake, his eyes darting around at the troopers that now surrounded him. Tanus knelt next to him, removing his helmet.

"Alright you son of a bitch. What have you been doing here?" Tanus said, his eyes piercing into the scientist.

Averting Tanus' gaze, the scientist told them all he knew.

"We've been testing for a new biological weapon. Thrawn was looking for something to eliminate the Vast Empire. He found it here on Felucia. In the tests we've run, we've been able to find that the virus causes a total nervous system shutdown. The victim dies within minutes due to lack of air and bloodflow."

The scientist took a breath before he continued. "We've been unable to replicate the virus successfully however. We've only managed to create enough to test it." He pointed to the vial of green liquid. "That's it right there. Our entire stock."

"How do we know he's not lying?" Wrex said, glancing over at Tanus. "What's stopping him from missing a few details about a warehouse of the stuff?"

The scientist spoke, his voice strained and afraid. "Please! I would never do that! Just don't kill me. Please!" The man was almost crying now.

Tanus stood, then pulled the scientist to his feet. "You get us the plans to the virus, we'll make sure you stay alive."

The scientist stopped blubbering almost immediately. "Of course, of course!" He ran to a terminal and quickly punched in a few commands. He then pulled out a small disk.

"Here. The entire plans of our operation and all of our experiment results. The virus is here as well." He smiled briefly as Tanus took the disk. "Am I free to go?"

"No. Wrex grab the virus. We're getting out of here." Tanus said as he put the disk into his backpack. The smile left the scientists face as Corvin restrained him. "You're now a prisoner of the Vast Empire."

Wrex quickly put the vial into his backpack, making sure it was cushioned by gauze from his medpac.

Blackjack filed out of the lab, Wrex in his usual spot at the back. However, before they left, Tanus stopped in the hallway.

"Orobos, you have any charges left?"

The trooper responded, checking his pack. "Just a few. Why?"

"Blow the lab to hell. I want none of the computers left."

Orobos gave a quick nod before running back into the lab. He returned a few minutes later.

"All planted sir."

"Blow it."

As Blackjack continued down the hallway, Wrex saw the explosion fill the lab. A small concussive force hit him as the computers that contained the virus work were fried or destroyed.

So much for Thrawn's virus. Wrex thought with a grin.
TRP/CPL Wrex/2SQD/2PLT/1COM/1RGT/1BAT/Tadath/VEA/VE [EW1][EW2][SRP][DCE][AS-H]
+CombatMedic+
Imperial Network Star Wars Image
Imperial Network Star Wars Image
Corvin
ComNet Novice

Corvin

[VE-ARMY] Private

Post Number:  25
Total Posts:  818
July 18, 2009 12:46:22 AM    View the profile of Corvin 
Corvin felt the temperature rise from the explosion and smiled.

A moment later, his smile vanished as he stumbled slightly almost bumping into the prisoner. His armour was covered with scorch marks and battered, a far cry from the gleaming suit he'd put on in the squad barracks earlier. Portions had been ripped away, showing the bodysuit underneath, and that too was torn in places.

The energy shield and armour plating were still more or less functional, but Corvin didn't want to find out if the Katarn armour could still take enemy fire.

The Thrawnist scientist he was escorting winced as the stun-cuffs twisted in the Private's hands, trying to twist his head around to look at him.

"Ah! Please, I'm just a researcher, I'm just doing my job, I'm not..."

"Quiet." Corvin ordered, trying to ignore the pain, giving him a shove for emphasis. "Keep moving."

The man meekly obeyed. Corvin was near the middle of the squad, with Gates and Wrex taking point. The Blackjacks returned through the corridors they'd entered through, passing slagged blast doors and blaster-pocked walls. The scientist turned an unhealthy shade of green and gagged as they passed the charred corpses of the stormtroopers from the earlier ambush. Corvin understood: he'd activated the internal air supply to avoid breathing in the stench of burned flesh. Impassively, he pushed the man forwards, pointing his SE-14 at the man's back with his other hand. It was on stun, of course. The man was needed alive.

Despite his impassive appearance, he was in turmoil. They'd simply executed the other scientists, mowing them down in cold blood. Stars, he'd helped them do it. On some level, he understood Tanus's reasoning. Seven troopers weren't going to be able to herd a group of fanatical scientists to a shuttle, and they would get in the way if they ran into Thrawnists. Besides, if even one was recaptured, Thrawn could start the whole operation up again. The reasoning was as cold and sensible as a droid's.

Still, Corvin couldn't help but feel some...guilt. There were regulations for the treatment of prisoners of war and the status of combatants. They'd gone and broken dozens of them in moments. In a sense, they were war criminals.

Of course, Thrawn's actions were far more amoral than anything Blackjack had done, Tanus was his superior officer, it was for the Vast Empire and its countless citizens, and if the men's research had been completed... It didn't stop the feeling however.

The squad reached the lift, checked it was clear, then piled into it with Corvin and the prisoner on the end opposite from the doors. They reached the upper level, and the doorseal opened to reveal a squad of swamptroopers with flechette launchers.

Everyone opened fire.
TRP/PVT Corvin/2SQD/2PLT/1COM/1RGT/1BAT/Tadath/VEA/VE
*HeavyWeapons *
Read the bloody manual!
"Never believe a rumour of my demise. I have as many lives as a cat. Also as many teeth, as many claws, and the same cheery, cooperative disposition." Peter Wiggin, Xenocide
Washington:"I knew this plan would never work!"
Church:"None of our plans ever work."
Caboose:"That's why we carry guns."
[This message has been edited by Corvin (edited July 18, 2009 12:49:49 AM)]
Tanus Solvona
ComNet Member

Tanus Solvona

[VE-ARMY] Gunnery Sergeant
[VE-ICS] Pirivateer Captain

Post Number:  517
Total Posts:  744
July 19, 2009 2:24:31 AM    View the profile of Tanus Solvona 
“It bloody figures! We’re ready to leave and of course they bring in the big guns!” Rogueboy yelled as he dove behind a canister, still lacking armor.

“Yeah, well, such is life. And for the record, I’d like to still be living mine!” Tanus shouted back as he tossed a thermal det over the crate he was using for cover.mIt exploding with an earth-shattering blast, sending what Tanus could only hope a few of his enemy’s to an early grave. He looked over at Corvin, who was still holding the prisoner back from making a run for it. Garryll had set up cover with the Tyrant for covering fire, while Kestrel and Wrex moved along the side for a flanking position; Orobos was doing his best to drive the aggressors back with the Stouker. We need to get out of here, and we need to do it now. Rogueboy whipped his grenade launcher around, firing grenades across the room. When the troopers started to pull back, Tanus gave the order:

“Blackjack, move up! Drive them out into the open! Get them away from cover!”

Tanus got up and started to move forward, rifle blazing and unleashing a torrent of gunfire upon the enemy. Garryll was next, spraying rounds from the Tyrant and forcing the Swamptroopers to fan out. Orobos followed up with blasts from the Stouker rifle. Rogueboy brought up the rear with grenades sailing through the air, sending debris and the occasional body flying through the air. Finally, the other three appeared. Wrex was hurling grenades as he ran, leaping over bodies as he did so; Kestrel took to the air and started to spray covering fire from above. Corvin, on the other hand, had the task of keeping the prisoner subdued and alive. Tanus looked around at the base for something he could use.

“Wrex, get on the E-web! We need covering fire! Corvin, get to a tank and toss him inside! We need that scientist alive! Move!”

The squad moved about their work, Rogueboy trying his damndest to not get shot in his underwear. Wrex found his way to an E-web and opened fire, spraying fire on all those who exposed themselves. Unfortunately, the plan went awry there. Corvin took a round to the shoulder, and in that one second, the scientist made a break for it. [i[Shit.[/i] Tanus swung his rifle over his shoulder and charged, headlong, into a wave of gunfire. Where the hell did these spare troopers comes from? Intel only said a platoon. I know we didn’t face this many top side, and there are definitely more than a total of 40 men here. Damn it all. Tanus caught the scientist around the waist and tackled him to the ground, skidding across the dirt  and turning his body so that his back was facing the enemy. Bullocks, I’m prone now. Let’s hope for some explosive intervention. And then seemingly, as if from his mouth to the Maker’s ear, a storm of grenades broke the ground and sound of blaster fire behind him. He jumped up, pushing the scientist along until they got behind the building Blackjack was using as cover. When they finally stopped, Tanus pulled out his DT-57 and pointed it straight between the man’s eyes; he was completely calm, and was even sporting a smirk.

“I swear on the lives of my men, and on all of the lives I have ended, if you EVER pullt hat stunt again, I will personally see to that that the Atrus will use you as a hood ornament. DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME!?”

The man simply spat on what would have been Tanus’ face.

“You can’t stop us fool. We’ve already come so far that at this point, it makes no difference what –.”

Tanus cracked him across the face with the DT-57, knocking him to the ground. He wasn’t moving, but at least Tanus could see there was still breath in the man. He looked at Garryll, who was still firing the Tyrant. Tanus slung his M-82 off his shoulder and started to fire over his shoulder.

“If he wakes up, hit him again.”

“Will do.”

Tanus then blasted off, firing as he went. He got up to the top of the building, moving as he did so, hiding behind whatever ventilation equipment he could. Every so often, a blaster bolt would come up and hit his shields, but luckily they were not life threatening blows. He looked down at the others, and was starting to stress out a bit. We’re running low on ammo. We have to get out of here. Tanus opened up a long range comm to the shuttle in orbit around Felucia’s moon.

“This is Tanus Solvona of Blackjack squad. I repeat, this is Tanus Solvona of Blackjack squad. Do you copy?”

There was a slight pause, on which time Tanus pumped off a three round burst from his M-82 on some troopers that thought it would be a good idea to expose themselves from cover. Well, now it’s two more dead men. The static broke as a voice broke over the din of battle.

“This is VEA shuttle Photon in orbit of Felucia’s moon. What do you need Seargeant?”

“We need evac, and we need it now. We have some very angry soldiers down here that really want us dead.”

“All right. I can be there in ten minutes.”

“Can you put a hurry on that?”

“That is with a hurry Sarge. Photon over and out.”

Tanus swore under his breath as a hail of blaster bolts and slagged steel hurled themselves his way. Tanus backed around and pulled a grenade off his belt, primed out and launched it through the air. He backed behind a set of air compressors as blaster bolts met him in reprisal. He opened up a comm to the others.

“All right. The shuttle’s on its way, but it’ll be ten minutes. Let’s keep each other alive until then Blackjacks. Let’s move up and toss them around a little. Orobos, haul the prisoner; you have the strength to lift and fire at the same time. Let’s just get this over with before anything else shows up…”

Tanus trailed off as he heard screaming behind him. He turned around and looked on with horror as the Felucian horde charged out of the forest.

“Blackjack, get up here now! Felucians coming through the gate!”

Seconds later, all of the Blackjacks were up and accounted for – all except Rogueboy, who turned around and faced the horde of raging natives with grenade launcher in hand. Tanus swore and kicked on his pack and blasted towards him. As he neared, he called for Rogue’s attention. He turned and looked up, just as he fired a grenade into the oncoming wave. Tanus yanked rogue off the ground and abruptly turned around towards the waiting Blackjacks. When he landed and Rogueboy took a few steps back (rubbing his shoulder as he did so), Tanus nodded.

“Good, we’re all accounted for. Is the prisoner still out?”

Garryll gave a thumbs-up as he shouldered the Tyrant and turned his head to the oncoming rush of Felucians. They over-ran the base quickly, and soon all of the forces on the ground were dead. And then just like that, as soon as it began it was over. The remains of the troopers were strewn about the base in various forms of dismemberment, and bloody now bathed the forest floor. Rogueboy gave out a long whistle at the sight.

“Well, at least the worst is over right?”

As soon as Rogue said that, a loud shriek emanated from deep within the jungle. The squad turned to face the forest. Garryll lowered the Tyrant down and cracked his neck.

“Think it was the Rancor?”

“No, it was too high pitched. It’s more than likely an Acklay reacting to all the noise.”

“Seems that way. Hopefully it stays at a distance.”

Wrex then pointed at the forest line his finger somewhat trembling.

“Boss, I really hate it when you’re wrong.”

Then came one of the most horrifying scenes Tanus had ever witnessed: Acklays, at least ten of them started to move out through the forest line. This could end badly Tanus knelt down and brought his M-82 up to bear.

“All right guys, you know the drill. Take them out as fast as you can and don’t get cornered. Focus on head shots and keep them scattered from each other so that can’t rush us. Garryll, we’re going to need your flamer here; hand Wrex the Tyrant for now.”

Garryll tossed Wrex the Tyrant and [primed the flamethrower and got ready for an assault. For a moment time seemed to slow as the Acklays advanced, and then as the neared, Tanus heard the gnashing of teeth and the shrieking of angry beasts coming to finish what the forest started so many hours before. The first Acklay went down with relative ease, thanks to a concentrated wave of hot lead sent forth by Blackjack squad. And then the real attack began. Orobos managed to push one back with a continuous stream of blasts from the Stouker; a single shot from the explosive secondary blast put it down for good. Garryll was managing to keep three of the beats at bay with his flamer, while Rogue was pushing one back with a constant stream of grenades. Then Tanus’ turn came. An acklay got close enough for a bite, which Tanus sidestepped at the last second. Then, instead of shooting the creature point blank, Tanus went for some flair – and smacked it across the face with his hammer. As it reeled back from the blow, Tanus whipped out his DT-57 and shot it three times in the chest and face, dropping it to the ground. Three down, seven to go.

Tanus activated his jetpack and hovered above the squad, laying down fire on any Acklay that got too close. This, however, was no easy task. With seven acklays still alive, they easily surrounded the Blackjacks and soon had them for lack of a better phrase, on the run. Tanus hovered behind one of the Acklays and fired several round into its spine. It let out a horrifying shriek as it fell to the ground, still twitching, but not quite dead. Damn it, where is that shuttle? Rogueboy pulled out his DT-57, driving back an Acklay that was getting far too close, while Wrex was pushing back a pair of the them, with Garryll and the others handling the remaining creatures. Then, to Tanus’ great relief, his comm buzzed.

“Sorry I’m late sir. Breaking atmo was a bitch.”

“No worries pilot. Just get us the hell out of here.”

“What have I got?”

“Five Acklays have us surrounded. Got anything to take care of it?”

“Yeah, I think I might. I can’t use the heavy stuff on them, because you guys have no cover, but I can drive them off.”

“We’ll take either one gladly. It’s your show now, pilot.”

Tanus looked up and saw the distinctive shape of the Sentinel coming in. Garryll looked up and shouted in joy; soon even the Acklays were looking up and shrieking at the shuttle as it descended on the group. And as the Acklays began to charge this new threat, the pilot opened up with the cannons. Two of the Acklays were traken out in the charge, and the others ran off, looking for a new meal in the forest and to nurse their wounds and hunt for another day. The shuttle then landed and the hydraulics activated as the ramp descended, revealing Blackjack squad’s Elysium. The squad leapt down off of their perch to meet the shuttle, with Orobos carrying the unconscious scientist over his shoulder. They boarded the shuttle and dropped their jetpacks where they sat as they collapsed all around the shuttle. When every one was on board, the pilot called back to Tanus.

“I take it you had an eventful day sir?”

Tanus simply nodded as he took his seat and removed his helmet.

“Yeah, that’s one way of putting it.”

Tanus then closed his eyes and rested, hoping for a sleep that would likely never come. All he thought about were the sounds and screams of the forest of Felucia, and how they would haunt his nightmares forever.

OOC:
Story end. Let's get ready for ESC boys.
SL/GSGT/SF Tanus Solvona/2SQD/2PLT/1CMP/1REG/1BAT/Tadath/VEA [EW1][ES1][LM][BC][CoR][LoS][SRP][CDS][SCA][FCE][VUA-ARC-Lambda]

CA/PRVC Tanus Solvona/YZ-775 (m) Iron Victory/The Osk Company/ICS/VE

Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken - House Martell words, A Song of Ice and Fire
ComNet > Stormtrooper Corps > Archived Stormtrooper Corps Story Board > Poisoned Paradise (Blackjack)  |  New Posts    
  Pages:  [ 1 2 ]   

All times are CST. The time now is 10:06:11 AM
Comnet Jump:

Current Online Members - 0  |  Guests - 73  |  Bots - 1

< Contact Us - The Vast Empire >