RE: Stop the personal attacks
March 29, 2003 2:46:03 PM    View the profile of Japheth 
Two Words: Underarm hair Ewwwwww

-----------------------
Rear Admiral Japheth Cappadocious, Krath Priest
Captain of the mSSD Atrus
Headmaster of the Dark Jedi Order Academy
-----------------------
SCAP/RAD Japheth Cappadocious/mSSD Atrus/DEF/VEN/VE/(=A=)(=SA=)(=JCPA=)(=SCPA=)(=FCO=)[BRC][LSM][MC:1][KC:OC]
HM/KPT Japheth Cappadocious/DC-3/Krath Order/Elite Griffen Sect/VEDJ/VE
MegaDeth
ComNet Member

[VE-NAVY] Ensign (ESN)

Post Number:  339
Total Posts:  354
March 29, 2003 6:06:01 PM    View the profile of MegaDeth 
not all of them

-----------------------
Polaris Squadron Commander/VEDJ JRN/ESN MegaDeth/Polaris 1-1/Wing I/mSSD Atrus/VE/VEN/VEDJ (=A=) (=SA=) (=JCPA=) (=SCPA=) [CoB] [VP] [BRC] [VC: E] [VP-VEDJ] [SoV] [IEM]

"To all the World, To all my friends, I love you all, Now I must leave you." - Dave Mustaine
A Tout Le Monde
Argon Viper
ComNet Expert

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-VEEC] Senior Writer

Post Number:  1789
Total Posts:  1789
March 31, 2003 8:32:42 AM    View the profile of Argon Viper 
Hey, if you don't like the girls, learn the language, every girl of every country likes the romantic French language    Je parle un pue francais  Anyways, DH, I agree with you totally over the comnet, but that cleric guy Bear talked about took it a little over the top.  I mean, none of us are saying we're going to kill each other (except for Snipes, and I'm sure that can be dealt with peacably).

-----------------------
Argon Viper
IW COL Argon Viper{ret}
Fallen Angel and Proud of It!
"History is on the move, those who cannot keep up will watch from a distance, and those who get in our way will not watch at all" - Grand Admiral Thrawn
"In combat, second place is only the last to die."- Anonymous
"Condemnation does not liberate, it oppresses" - Carl G Jung
chipmunk man
ComNet Member

[VE-NAVY] Petty Officer 2nd Class (PO2)

Post Number:  930
Total Posts:  2064
April 1, 2003 12:31:47 AM    View the profile of chipmunk man 
Bon, Argon, tu parle Francais aussie!

-----------------------

"The point of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other &*@#$% die for his!"
                                                 -General Patton

FM/LCRW Chipmunk Man/Viper 1-4/Phoenix/mSSD Atrus/DEF/VEN/VE/(=A=)
Argon Viper
ComNet Expert

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-VEEC] Senior Writer

April 1, 2003 5:17:39 PM    View the profile of Argon Viper 
Je parle un pue francais, un pue!!  j/k, I understood that    Yeah, you have no idea how much the chicks go for that even when you say something like 'Ton visage est avec un singe'.  It's really bad grammar, and it's pretty insulting, but they don't seem to care 

-----------------------
Argon Viper
IW COL Argon Viper{ret}
"History is on the move, those who cannot keep up will watch from a distance, and those who get in our way will not watch at all" - Grand Admiral Thrawn
chipmunk man
ComNet Member

April 3, 2003 12:24:17 AM    View the profile of chipmunk man 
Ya, it's pretty funny.   "Salut. Ca va?"   "What? You speak French? Oh, maybe you're not as repulsive as we thought..."

-----------------------
"The point of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other &*@#$% die for his!"
                                                                                               -General Patton

"Life is about the memories we make, and the duty to remember those who came before us."
                                                                                               -Chipmunk Man

Denethor
ComNet Member

[VE-NAVY] Chief Warrant Officer (CWO)

Post Number:  388
Total Posts:  1534
April 3, 2003 4:08:28 PM    View the profile of Denethor 
Ach, languages other than English! Make it stop!!

-----------------------
Kam "Denethor" Vox
Warrant Officer 1st Class Denethor
Navy of the Vast Empire
Flight 2 Flight Leader: Kaph Squadron
FL/WO1 Denethor/Kaph 2-1/Wing 1/mSSD Atrus/VEN/VE(=SA=)
"No one can guarantee victory during war, but only deserve it." -Winston Churchill
Argon Viper
ComNet Expert

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-VEEC] Senior Writer

April 7, 2003 8:26:53 AM    View the profile of Argon Viper 
LOL!  I could talk to you in German too....  Heck, I can even do a little Spanish.  Hey, anyone want to teach me a little Japanese or Mandarin?  Maybe even Russian? 

-----------------------
Argon Viper
IW COL Argon Viper{ret}
Bear
ComNet Member

[VE-NAVY] Captain (CAP)
[VE-VEEC] Chief Editor

Post Number:  949
Total Posts:  947
April 9, 2003 3:19:28 PM    View the profile of Bear 
I'm referring to the Americans (although it is more than possible these people represent a very small section of popular opinion) I have seen on TV who publically badmouth the Europeans, and the French in particular, for the sole reason that they apparently "stand against America". IF.. and I'm simply speculating here... IF America's ideas of liberty, freedom, democracy etc actually are a load of bull, is it really such a bad idea that someone is willing to say that? Let me bring something up: Americans have the right to freedom of speech, freedom of press, freedom to vote, etc etc etc. Interestingly, they do not have a right to clean drinking water - most democratic countries have laws stating "citizens have basic sanitation rights blah blah blah". The United States is one of the few that don't. So you can run for President and write what you want in the newspapers, but you're still going to get cholera. Anyway.. Advert in a French newspaper: "Ten thousand rifles for sale. Never used; dropped once" French tanks have four reverse gears. And one forward gear, in case they're attacked from behind. Arf arf!
Swomz
ComNet Veteran

Post Number:  1069
Total Posts:  1068
April 9, 2003 5:27:04 PM    View the profile of Swomz 
    Well, we do have freedom of speech.  That freedom of speech also reserves our right to disrespect the French for what they are doing.     Germany has a good reason to stay out of the war.  As their diplomat put it when talking to my brother, I may paraphrase a bit:  We support America, we love America, but our country has caused too much grief to enter another war that could possibly escalate.     By this I take it he is talking about the two WWs

-----------------------
Lance Raiders Squad
Wildcard Platoon
Army of the Vast Empire
TRP/CPL Swomz/3SQD/1PLT/1COMP/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE [ES1] [IH]
"War is for those who are willing to die for a cause, that is why I have learned to respect our enemies." -Swomz
Argon Viper
ComNet Expert

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-VEEC] Senior Writer

April 9, 2003 5:53:37 PM    View the profile of Argon Viper 
Well, if he's not talking about the WWs, I'm not sure the Franco-Prussian War counts  Anyways, it does give us the right to disrespect the French, it gives us that right all we want.  However, it does not give us the right to propose violence or to deride their opinion in a political forum.  These rights are not garunteed, and the lack of them is necessary for an intelligent society.

-----------------------
Argon Viper
IW COL Argon Viper{ret}
JR
ComNet Cadet

[VE-ARMY] Senior Sergeant

Post Number:  276
Total Posts:  471
April 10, 2003 3:15:48 PM    View the profile of JR 
Vous ne pas parlez francais tres bien.  Il est un peu, et il est aussi. (You do not speak french very well.  It is pew, and it is aussi)

-----------------------
TRP/LCP JR/3SQD/2PLT/1COM/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE[LoR]
"I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Jack Handey
Geist
ComNet Initiate

Post Number:  105
Total Posts:  105
April 10, 2003 5:30:06 PM    View the profile of Geist 
(I probably wouldn't have brought this up if my dad wasn't an environmental chemist, and if I weren't naturally adversarial, but since he is and since I am...) Hey Bear, when's the last time you ever heard of someone in the united states getting cholera? We certainly do have laws governing the safety of our drinking water. I know, my dad tests drinking water as part of his job. It's kinda funny though to hear what's in bottled water. Dasani for example. Their method of purification is great for removing metals, however it doesn't touch organic compounds at all*. (It's still safe to drink mind you, but it's food for thought the next time you're thinking of getting a bottle of water ) *actually I could have these reversed. I can't quite remember which one it was.

-----------------------
~The nerd occasionally known as Jociam Geist

Make no mistake, there are monsters in the world, and they don't usually back down because you ask them nicely.
Argon Viper
ComNet Expert

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-VEEC] Senior Writer

April 10, 2003 9:56:33 PM    View the profile of Argon Viper 
JR, it's only my second year of it, give me a break 

-----------------------
Argon Viper
IW COL Argon Viper{ret}
chipmunk man
ComNet Member

April 11, 2003 10:25:47 AM    View the profile of chipmunk man 
Bear, despite which of us Americans you see on TV, please remember that the TV only shows controversial and inflamatory junk. If they can't sensationalize it, they don't show it. Those few that you do see are a small minority. Not all of us insist on bulldozing bottles of fine wine simply because of one government's opinion.

-----------------------
                                                                                             -General Patton

"Life is about the memories we make, and the duty to remember those who came before us."
                                                                                             -Chipmunk Man

Bear
ComNet Member

[VE-NAVY] Captain (CAP)
[VE-VEEC] Chief Editor

April 13, 2003 5:52:50 AM    View the profile of Bear 
The best statistics I could get:

1992; 102 cases of cholera in the United States
2000; 35 cases of cholera in the European continent (Greenland to Russia to Turkey to Portugal, a population of approx 3.5 times that of the US)

To show what I mean, I'll give you a nice little scenario:

United States, Year 2010 AD

Following a terrorist attack by Danish freedom fighters at war with the Cambodians, the New York Stock Exchange has crashed, putting the US into the greatest recession since the 1930's - worse, in fact. Interest rates have been hiked up and inflation has tripled overnight.
Wisconsin Water Company suffered badly from this; it quickly went bankrupt and "went under" into "liquidation" (excuse the puns). Because of the market crash, the price of oil per barrel rose from $30 to $80. The Government has had to spend vast amounts of money importing oil, as they have a dependance on the commodity - this means they had almost no money for other vital commodities, such as water.
Wisconsin Water Company did not receive a single cent from the US Government.
Within a week, Wisconsin was at the centre of a huge Cholera epidemic.
Thousands died.

United Kingdom, Year 2010 AD

Following the Danish terrorist attacks and the fall of the NYSE, the London Stock Exchange also fell. Stirling become almost worthless, and inflation skyrocketed to almost 200%.
Wolverhampton Water Company was hit badly, and looked to go bankrupt. However, due to the company being a Public Corporation, it was one of the first to receive government handouts (who borrowed the money from the World Bank).
Wolverhampton Water Company kept the water flowing.

In the UK, water companies are private-public partnerships. They are duty bound to put the service before the profit; meaning we have some of the cheapest water in the industrilised world.

In the UK, each household pays a certain amount of money (in the region of £100, or $150) each year; for this, they get unlimited water. If the company does not break even with this money, government taxes make sure they do.

In some companies for the US, you are charged depending on how much water you use. If you have a family of 10, the toilet could be flushed 20 times a day. The shower could be used 10 times a day, and washing dishes.. I don't even want to think about it. If you have a family this size, then chances are you won't have a lot of money.

This is capitalism in action.

If you were to trawl through the many miles of red tape, legislation, common laws and government bills which make up the British Constitution, you would see that some of the most basic rights are the right to live.

The right to free health care if you need it; free education; fairly priced water; shelter; and so on.

One of the biggest causes of terrorism is the American way of promoting their ideas of liberty and freedom through their beloved constitution.

A constitution which barely touches on education, health, food and water.

Your average starving African really does not give a flying frog about his right to keep his mouth shut in a courtroom.
Geist
ComNet Initiate

April 13, 2003 12:46:35 AM    View the profile of Geist 
So I'm supposed to take what you say seriously because you throw absurd scenarios at me that have no basis in fact?

I see where this is going and I'm getting off of this ride.

-----------------------

Taking absolutely nothing seriously since 1979
Kjerri
ComNet Initiate

[VE-ARMY] Lance Corporal

Post Number:  115
Total Posts:  115
April 13, 2003 3:30:11 PM    View the profile of Kjerri 
Hey I suggest reading it over, those are interesting pointers Bear put in there as an example. I know as an American, you are probably biased to the states and decide to ignore international ideals, but he does bring out several valid points.

-----------------------
TRP/CPL Kjerri/2SQD/1PLT/1COM/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE [LoR] [LM]
"I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day...tomorrow isn't looking good either."
Fury
ComNet Overlord

[VE-ARMY] High General
[VE-VEHC] High General*

Post Number:  1578
Total Posts:  2689
April 13, 2003 4:15:49 PM    View the profile of Fury 
I would only argue that:

Scenario One
a.) The US keeps strategic oil reserves for such a reason. 
b.) The government prints money and the National Guard can truck in or move out whatever people or resources are necessary for such an event.
c.) Most water operations are municipal entities.  When there was a bacteria problem, coincidentally, in Milwaukee back in the early '90s the city, then the state managed to handle the situation to the satifaction of the population.

Scenario Two
a.) Your only solution to this problem is to borrow money from a pool collected by other nations who may just honestly tell you that your policies brought on this situation and deny you the loan?
b.) And this is sensible how?

As for your initial statistics, if I found proof that more Europeans died bathing than Americans, would that give me the right to say you are all doing it wrong?  No, you would laugh at me because it is a ridiculous assessment.  Which would be the correct answer to both posits.

You may not like this nation or you may not like the current administration we have.  While I agree that not every population wants, needs, or is ready, capable, or even needing American style democracy, we are muddling along alright on what we have. 

And yes, there are public policy concerns that I may not agree with, but in good times and bad, I have found it possible to survive in this nation without some unwritten constitution telling me whether or not I could.  In as much as Bear would like to argue that we have no mechanism for addressing some of our needs (and he IS right on that point), we somehow manage to keep the population we do have alive and capable of working in most cases.

While I am not the free market, throw-'em-to-the-wolves proponent our president is, I do see the desirable benefits of not having the government dictate every part of my life.  If choice comes with some risks from time to time, even the poorest of the poor in this nation would probably prefer it over another system.  That may sound silly to you, but its our country and you can run your's on your own terms.
  -----------------------
PRF/MG Fury/VEA/TADATH/VE [SCP][PoC][SotE:HC][SotE:VEA][IOC]
Stormtrooper Corps Prefect
Shopkeeper - Imperial Center
[This message has been edited by Fury (edited April 13, 2003 4:18:29 PM)]
Kjerri
ComNet Initiate

[VE-ARMY] Lance Corporal

Post Number:  115
Total Posts:  115
April 13, 2003 4:29:17 PM    View the profile of Kjerri 
Well said, although you worded that abit better then some others. And yes, I just lost a page by my computer crashing, so I'm abit bitter :P
[This message has been edited by Kjerri (edited April 13, 2003 4:38:12 PM)]
Geist
ComNet Initiate

April 13, 2003 10:00:52 PM    View the profile of Geist 
Did I just get acused of bias?

[shrugs]

whatever.

-----------------------

Taking absolutely nothing seriously since 1979
chipmunk man
ComNet Member

April 14, 2003 10:48:15 AM    View the profile of chipmunk man 
Bear, your statistics from the US are from 1992, but Europe is 2000. If you could find more recent data from the US (ideal would be same year as Europe), you could make a more accurate comparrison. One would also have to consider the population. For example, a town with ten people and 9 cases can't be compared to 100,000 people and 9 cases. Perentages are a much better representation of a population than raw data (gotta hate statistics class).

-----------------------
                                                                                             -General Patton

-Chipmunk Man

[This message has been edited by chipmunk man (edited April 14, 2003 10:48:45 AM)]
Argon Viper
ComNet Expert

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant Major
[VE-VEEC] Senior Writer

April 17, 2003 8:03:06 AM    View the profile of Argon Viper 
Well, lesse.  Geist, you're bias.  So am I.  So is Bear.  It's a fact of life, we'll live with it 

Free, I personally agree with the system Bear proposes.  In it, basic rights are assured to everyone and you don't have the problems of homelessness, huge death rate of the lower class, and other things that come with a pure free economy.  In fact, the US could manage that easily if we were willing to cut massive amounts of military spending.  Let's say we cut it in half (we already outdo the next twenty nations combined, let's try to only outdo ten), we could fun education, health care, social security, and all these other programs without even breaking a sweat.

However, in respect to the current system, you were correct in your description of it.

Bear, he's right, I'd prefer to see recent data before arguing on it.

-----------------------
Argon Viper
IW COL Argon Viper{ret}
Bear
ComNet Member

[VE-NAVY] Captain (CAP)
[VE-VEEC] Chief Editor

April 19, 2003 6:59:43 AM    View the profile of Bear 
Ho ho ho, my plan has worked perfectly!

Now that you're all confused beyond belief, I can claim anything and you will all murmur in a form of agreement! Ho ho ho!

Unfortuently, I've confused myself.

Ho ho ho!

Anyway, right, my point, or 3 of them:

Water

American control of Iraq

Arsenic

You may or may not be aware that thanks to (gasp) Clinton (Europes favourite President), arsenic levels in American water have had very little regulation (in comparison to other industrilised countries, at least).

Luckily, although this seems to be more for public relations than for safety, George Bush is taking steps to remedy this. Slowly. But its still a good thing to do, so I applaud him for it (thats not something you'll see often. If someone wants to print that out and put it in a secure bank account in the Cayman Islands, I'd be grateful).

Now the US is controlling Iraq (and I mean controlling.. the port of Um Qasar is under the control of the American Government, who are charging Iraqi's a toll to use it, and the Iraqi whatever it was (pound?) has now been replaced as national currency by the US dollar), they will put in place a set of rules similar to their constitution. Right to free speech, fair trial, etc etc. All good stuff.

They will also bring in equipment to get the water system going properly, to supply the entire country.

They are, however, highly unlikely to bring in the anti-arsenic filters used in Europe, Canada, Australasia and other parts of the world, but not the US.

Right now, the Iraqi's need water more than the right to trial by jury.

The US is likely to place the same rules and regulations on Iraq as they place on themselves.

Arsenic levels in water remaining unsafe;

Not signing the international law on human rights for the child (or whatever it is), the law stating that minors can not be executed, and only unsigned by the USA, Iraq, Libya and Iran (correct me if I'm wrong). Basically, its unlikely this will be signed by Iraq in the next year or two;

International landmine treaty. Heres a thought for you: Osama and his ballistic buddies flew a plane into a building. If they had only killed millitary personnell, they would, in theory, be soldiers. However, they were indiscriminate; if there were soldiers in the WTC, it was a coincidence that the terrorists killed them. Much like landmines - they don't aim to kill soldiers, they're indiscriminate - some would go as far to call them terrorist weapons. Neither Iraq or the US has signed this treaty, and Iraq is unlikely to do so until their government is set up, apparently in a years time;

The list goes on.

So you see, this is what I'm saying:

Iraq, and pretty much every country in the world, needs a constitution which talks about the right to life; to clean drinking water; to live free from fear of war and persecution; yadda yadda yadda. And, of course, all the justice and freedom stuff that the American one has.

That is what your average Palestinian probably wants. And your average Pakistani, Sri Lankan, Columbian, Northern Irishman, Checynan, etc etc etc.

So, please, instead of spouting out endless claptrap about how every Libyan has the right to vote for who they want to be National Camel Herder, start signing some landmine treaties, withdraw money from right wing rebel groups (who are referred to as "freedom fighters", unlike their communist opposites, referred to as "terrorists"), and set an example.

And for gods sake, let people go and visit the Statue of Liberty again. I would bet money that that is the sole reason why the French hate you so much.

Cheers.
Sheepy
ComNet Member

[VE-NAVY] Warrant Officer 1st Class (WO1)

Post Number:  370
Total Posts:  371
April 19, 2003 7:04:26 AM    View the profile of Sheepy 
errrr aren't you retired????

-----------------------
FM/WO2 Sheepy/Elite Viper 3-1/Phoenix
Yes, still PO1 (when i put this i got WO2)
Yes, still WO2
WING/mSSD Atrus/VE/VEN (=A=) (=JCPA=)
Fury
ComNet Overlord

[VE-ARMY] High General
[VE-VEHC] High General*

April 19, 2003 10:09:16 AM    View the profile of Fury 
1.  People visit the statue all the time.  I still get mail from the Ellis Island foundation.

2.  Unless you are one of these oppressed people, quit trying to speak for them.  You are worse than the American government you presume to hate in your pompous attitude in thinking you know what is right for them.  At least they have asked somebody on the ground what they might like.  It may be the local dictator but that's a hell of a lot more research than you have done.

3. If you hate this country so much, just stay the hell out and quit commenting on it.  Much like turning off a television show that offends you, avoidance DOES appear to solve the problem on an individual level.

-----------------------
Sniping101
ComNet Veteran

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant

Post Number:  1361
Total Posts:  3940
April 19, 2003 9:05:43 PM    View the profile of Sniping101 
[This message has been edited by Sniping101 (edited April 19, 2003 9:07:09 PM)]
Bear
ComNet Member

[VE-NAVY] Captain (CAP)
[VE-VEEC] Chief Editor

April 20, 2003 7:23:43 AM    View the profile of Bear 
Some time ago, the European Community, mainly led by the French, voted to make massive cuts to fishing in the North Sea. Scotland is one of the principle fishers in this sea, and stands to loose most from it.

It looked like there could be some sort of deal - either reducing French, Norweigan, Danish etc fleets further to limit the damage to Scotland. However, along came the Bush & Blair brothers and tore Europe apart. The chances of Scottish fishing ever recovering are minimal at best.

A lot of people round here stand to loose their homes.

So please write to your President and tell him that when he keeps his nose out of Europe, we'll keep our noses out of America. I'm sure thats more than fair.

Cheers.
Fury
ComNet Overlord

[VE-ARMY] High General
[VE-VEHC] High General*

April 20, 2003 9:52:48 AM    View the profile of Fury 
Actually, I have no real power in how geopolitics works itself out.

I'm sure someone here could have a prime example on how some other country's policy harmed their family.

My actual point is, if you want to hate this country, know that we are already aware of it and just don't want to hear any more of it.  You have already stated it many, many times and I personally am asking you to stop.

Of course you can find examples of things we have done wrong.  We could probably blame something on Scotland or the UK in general.  The point is no one has gone down to that level because - as the topic states - that would constitute some form of nation bashing which people would take personally.

If you did not like this country, why did you bother to waste your time and money to visit it?  I know a lot of places on this planet I have chosen not to go to because I did not think I would've had a good time.  One place I HAVE gone to - Indonesia - I am glad I went to as I doubt I would go today, things being as they are.  I don't hate the people there, I just know the environment has changed.

And that is the difference.  I know enough to, or try to strive to at least, understand that some entities are bigger than me.  There is no massive conspiracy out to get me personally.  Nations do as they do as power waxes and wanes.  That won't change your mind, and it shouldn't, but know that trying to dissect everything you find wrong about America based on YOUR cultural norms and then argue the same about the US is the most hypocritical thing you can do.  And I'm as tired of hearing it as I am the French bashing and everything else that has gone on over the past few months.

-----------------------
chipmunk man
ComNet Member

April 21, 2003 2:36:07 PM    View the profile of chipmunk man 
I think we all need to take a big step back. Anti-war, pro-war, anti-American, pro-American. Step back and reexamine your beliefs and opinions, anylaze your statements, and do a little research. Once completed, we can go back to a civilized debate with supporting facts, instead of a shouting match. And please remember the title of this thread. Thank you.

-----------------------
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
-Albert Einstien

-Chipmunk Man

ComNet > Neutral Messages > Archived Main ComNet > Stop the personal attacks  |  New Posts    
  Pages:  [ 1 2 3 ]   

All times are CST. The time now is 10:31:39 AM
Comnet Jump:

Current Online Members - 0  |  Guests - 77  |  Bots - 1

< Contact Us - The Vast Empire >