Communications Network
Vast Empire  -  New Posts  -  Search  -  Statistics  -  Login 

ComNet > Neutral Messages > Archived Information Booth > VEWiki Standardization Project

Author
Topic:  VEWiki Standardization Project
Riqimo
ComNet Disciple
Imperial Duke

Riqimo

[VE-ARMY] 1st Lieutenant
[VE-DJO] Journeyman
[VE-ICS] Company Agent
[VE-NAVY] 1st Lieutenant
[VE-VEEC] Chief Engineer

Post Number:  2021
Total Posts:  2382
  VEWiki Standardization Project
October 7, 2009 8:31:28 AM    View the profile of Riqimo 
Let's face it, the wiki is starting to get a bit disorganized.  We need to clean it up a bit before it gets far too out of hand.  Hence the VEWiki Standardization Project, or VEWSP.

The Standardization Guidelines can be found here: http://www.vastempire.com/wiki/index.php?title=VEWiki:Wiki_standardization

Character Pages are the current topic of discussion.  I prefer to have your input in what is desired in your information sidebars before we go forward with implementing one as a required standard.

Also, if you want to help with standardizing pages, hop into #Wiki on IRC, we're going to start using that channel to direct projects.
Riqimo "Doc" Ray Pershaw
Vast Empire Army, Commander of Training
Imperial Navy, Adjutant Naval Operations Officer
Imperial Center, Chief Technical Officer
Duke of Aaclu, Tadath

"Put a blaster in a citizen's hands, and you have an expendable troop.  Put a purpose in his heart, and you win a soldier."

CoT/1LT Riqimo/Tadath/VEA/VE
[CotE][CDS][EW1][ES2][MSM][BC][SC][BM]
[AS-2][SoH][CoS][GRP][VUA-Eclipse][VUA-ARC-Lambda]

ADJ:NOO/1LT Riqimo/mSSD Atrus/1Flt/VEN/VE (=*A*=)(=*SA*=)

TRN/Journeyman Riqimo/Training 1-2/mSSD Atrus/VEDJ/VE

RDO/CE Riqimo/Cepany/Rnd/VEEC/VE
Ron
ComNet Member

Ron

[VE-ARMY] Senior Sergeant

Post Number:  573
Total Posts:  1218
  RE: VEWiki Standardization Project
October 7, 2009 12:42:38 AM    View the profile of Ron 
Quote:All character pages must comply with a set template for their user information sidebar, which as of this time is undecided. Discussion of what to use is open to debate on the Comnet

Well I for one, don't like using the standard sidebar because it's the one everyone uses.  It's not that the sidebar is inadequate or buggy, it's just that I like having my own which is different from most people.  I'm also the one that started using the "Current Status Image Gallery" trend in which one displays the rank, position and squad images using the three block image gallery template; not considered to be part of the "standard character page template" but it's thought of as a neat way to show your current status.

I have no problem with cleaning up the wiki pages, but as far as character pages go, I'm don't think that "enforcing a unified look" is the best way to go. 

That's my two cents anyways.
Imperial Network Star Wars Image

SL|SSG SOVACCAS RON|3SQD|1PLT|1COMP|1BAT|1RGT|VEA|VE
CoD:A|SSG SOBACCUS RON|TADATH|VEA|VE
[WM][CCA][CT][AS-1]
[This message has been edited by Ron (edited October 7, 2009 12:44:03 AM)]
Jegora
ComNet Veteran

Jegora

[VE-ARMY] Platoon Sergeant
[VE-DJO] Initiate
[VE-NAVY] 2nd Lieutenant

Post Number:  1262
Total Posts:  2175
October 7, 2009 1:50:47 PM    View the profile of Jegora 
I have to say I agree with Ron on this one.

And who's the 'we' behind this initiative?
Jegora Fal
Platoon Commander
WildCard Platoon

PC/PSG Jegora/WildCard/Phoenix/Dragon/Osiris/Stormtrooper Corps/Vast Empire Army/Vast Empire
[IH] [EW:1] [BC] [CCA] [DCE] [BoT] [ESC09] [AS-H] [AS-1]

Initiate of the Dark Jedi Order
Assistant to the Tactical Officer
Osk Company Employee
[This message has been edited by Jegora (edited October 7, 2009 1:52:19 PM)]
Riqimo
ComNet Disciple
Imperial Duke

Riqimo

[VE-ARMY] 1st Lieutenant
[VE-DJO] Journeyman
[VE-ICS] Company Agent
[VE-NAVY] 1st Lieutenant
[VE-VEEC] Chief Engineer

Post Number:  2022
Total Posts:  2382
October 7, 2009 2:36:25 PM    View the profile of Riqimo 
Ron wrote:Well I for one, don't like using the standard sidebar because it's the one everyone uses.  It's not that the sidebar is inadequate or buggy, it's just that I like having my own which is different from most people.  I'm also the one that started using the "Current Status Image Gallery" trend in which one displays the rank, position and squad images using the three block image gallery template; not considered to be part of the "standard character page template" but it's thought of as a neat way to show your current status.

All I'd be standardizing is the infobox side bar, beyond that, anything is pretty much acceptable, including the small gallery.

If you look at every other wiki, they have a firmly set template for People, another for Places, another for etc etc in those sidebars...  With everyone having their own template on our wiki, it clutters up real fast, especially if you're looking for a template on the list that you forgot the name of.

If people want different colors, it's simple enough to change the color via the template input (I think the current 'main' template has that function). WITHOUT having to make a new template entirely.

I am fine with just finding a set layout to use and let folks use their own color schemes.  That's what I am asking for input on.

Jegora wrote:And who's the 'we' behind this initiative?

General consensus of a lot of wiki folks I have talked with is the reason behind this.  Art is the one that specifically knew of this prior and nudged me into getting it done sometime, I mentioned it to Blue, Cos, Ibram, Angel, and other folks a couple times in the past month or so.  Planning on using my wiki sysops to start clearing out the unnecessarily pages (duplicate templates, pages with 3 words of text, unused and pointless image uploads, etc).  Eventually the wiki should be organized in a fairly nice way.
Bacredi
ComNet Veteran

[VE-ARMY] First Sergeant
[VE-NAVY] 2nd Lieutenant
[VE-VEEC] Essayist

Post Number:  1412
Total Posts:  1594
December 5, 2009 5:25:06 PM    View the profile of Bacredi 
Ron and I are really the only ones that have our own templates. I prefer mine because it is not as wide, I can edit it at my own will, etc.
TRP/FSG Bacredi/3SQD/1PLT/1COMP/1BAT/1RGT/Tadath/VEA
Ron
ComNet Member

Ron

[VE-ARMY] Gunnery Sergeant

Post Number:  704
Total Posts:  1218
December 5, 2009 5:30:31 PM    View the profile of Ron 
Hrm, I just like the way mine looks.  I suppose I could conform to the popular infobox, as long as I can keep the userbox insert in the bottom.
SL||GSG RON||3SQD||1PLT||1COMP||1BAT||1RGT||VEA||VE
CoD:A||GSG RON||TADATH||VEA||VE
[WM][CCA][CoR][BC][AS-1]{RoC:ComTech}

Imperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars Image
ComNet > Neutral Messages > Archived Information Booth > VEWiki Standardization Project  |  New Posts    

All times are CST. The time now is 8:41:05 PM
Comnet Jump:

Current Online Members - 0  |  Guests - 81  |  Bots - 2

< Contact Us - The Vast Empire >