Communications Network
Vast Empire  -  New Posts  -  Search  -  Statistics  -  Login 

ComNet > Stormtrooper Corps > Archived Stormtrooper Corps Story Board > Burning Worlds (RAIDERS)

Pages:  [ 1 2 ]   
Author
Topic:  Burning Worlds (RAIDERS)
Dante
ComNet Expert

Dante

[VE-ARMY] Gunnery Sergeant

Post Number:  1568
Total Posts:  1920
  RE: Burning Worlds (RAIDERS)
September 15, 2008 9:49:27 AM    View the profile of Dante 
Upon hearing the man's plea, Dante lowered his rifle slightly. He'd been surprised by Lambert's surrender, but he had a feeling the man wouldn't make any trouble. Lambert swayed back and forth slightly, then glanced at the wreckage.

"My platoon.."

"In the other dropships."

None of the other troopers or pilots in the dropship had survived. Dante had checked several of the twisted bodies himself, but they'd remained cold and pulse-less. That is the ones that were still recognizable as bodies.

They'd dragged Captain Drentan from the debris. The officer was still breathing, but his uniform was in tatters and his face almost unrecognizable from the shrapnel embedded in it. He stirred feebly as Celota applied bacta patches and removed shrapnel, but then fell silent again.

The RAIDERS set up a perimeter, with the unconscious Captain and the squad medic at its center, and waited for the evac dropships. Sniping 101 pulled the pins on a couple of smoke grenades, and the black and green smoke drifted upwards. Normally, it was nothing short of suicide to use signals, but this close to camp and with their com equipment slagged it was worth the risk.

A lone dropship came into view, flying only a few meters above the ground to reduce the possibility of its being spotted. It was yet another LAATi gunship, painted with jagged lines on a background of crimson on top and yellow-grey on the lower part. The scout gunship came to a stop just beyond the perimeter, its engines sending clouds of dust into the faces of the RAIDERS. On a makeshift stretcher, the Captain suddenly shook in pain as the grit blew into his wounds.

Lambert looked at the dropship, then at the RAIDERS, before pulling himself into the LAATi's troop bay. The RAIDERS followed, placing Drentan's stretcher on a rear bunk as they did so. The dropship made a full turn, then left a trail of dust in its wake as it returned to the base. Dante could only hope this flight ended better than their last two in the aging gunships.

There were rumblings from overhead as destroyers and frigates engaged each other mere miles above the RAIDERS's heads. Briefly, Dante wondered what was happening in orbit around the system before turning his thoughts to the camp and the inevitable debriefing that would follow their arrival.

Siczaya III orbit. Contested Space.

Ships traded bursts of superheated plasma and heat seeking torpedoes as they slowly drifted into new positions. Lights flared and died in the blackness of space, each burst a funeral pyre for up to a dozen pilots.

In this chaotic frenzy, individual pilots guided their snubfighters through the void, killing and being killed, clumsy bombers sent their payloads into ship hulls, and the battle raged on.

Fernix Grenad watched all this from the shadows, his eyes moving slowly from one angular destroyer to the next. There were over a dozen massive Star Destroyers from both factions around the red-orange sphere, surrounded by smaller shapes that were ships and remains of ships. After the conflict, the planet would be surrounded by a glittering debris ring for centuries, and the surface would be ravaged by impacts from stray debris.

None of this concerned Grenad, smuggler and employee of Torrta the Hutt. What concerned him very much was that he had been cut off from his supplier on the ground, and he needed those crystals to pay back his employer. Torrta was, if possible, even stricter about payment than his relative, the late lamented Jabba.

The last pilot to default on a payment had been pushed into a cage of starving nexu...an inch at a time. Watching the fracas rage on, with no signs of stopping, he began to grow nervous. His client would not be pleased if he didn't make contact with the traitor soon, and it looked like that wasn't going to happen.
[This message has been edited by Dante (edited September 15, 2008 10:34:32 AM)]
Sniping101
ComNet Sage

Sniping101

[VE-ARMY] First Sergeant
[VE-VEEC] Journalist

Post Number:  3477
Total Posts:  3940
September 16, 2008 5:48:59 PM    View the profile of Sniping101 
"There's more than meets the eye here, isn't there?" Snipes asked, crouching down next to Lambert.

"What makes you say that?"

"Too many coincidences." Snipes buckled his helmet to his belt and lit a cigarette for himself and the former Captain.

Lambert inhaled deeply and sighed, "Let me tell you a story, First Sergeant. There were once four men, they'd worked together a long time and come to know each other very well, they were like brothers and rarely fought amongst themselves.

"One day these friends were asked to scout out potential areas for another terraforming plant, being as their planet was a barren, inhospitable place. Normally these men would not have to do it themselves, having plenty of underlings, however boredom had long ago set in and so they took it upon themselves to do it personally.

"On their way to one of these possible positions one of them finds he badly needs to relieve himself of certain burdens all living things must deal with, so they stop the speeder and he gets out and scrambles behind a rock. A few moments go by, the others mock him as he's crouched behind this rock. Then there was a crash and a scream, his friends come running to see what happened.

"What they find a hole in the ground where their friend was, they toss a glow lamp down, now the magnificence of what they see takes their breath away. Everywhere the cave is completely covered in Nova crystals. The light of the glow lamp shines off them and mesmerizes them, despite the death of their friend one of them quickly crawls down and begins the wander around. The remaining two lift the dead body from the hole and wait.

"They waited two days for their friend to return, but when he did he told them tales of unending tunnels of crystals, they went on for miles and a miles he claims. As proof of this discovery he brought back several different types. Right there they made a pact. They'd keep it to themselves, and split the profits between them.

"The details of getting the mining operation together are dull, however once it is done greed begins to set in on the companions, two of them believe they each deserve a larger cut, words are said, threats are made. And then one of them gets an offer, a certain army needs to take the planet, in exchange for his help he can have control of the planet when they leave. He takes this offer and within a week their outpost is attacked. The betrayer rallies all those under him to try and depose the other, while the other flees with his force and takes them towards the mines, refusing to lose control."

"And the third one?"

"Oh he gave up hope and tried to get lost in the mix until he could figure out a way to redeem himself."

"Interesting story."

Lambert reached into his armor and pulled out a necklace, on the end a green nova crystal hung, catching the light even in the smog of Siczaya.

Snipes let the rest of the trip pass in silence, words would have to be exchanged with Korakas.

As Snipes luck was once again either working for him or against him, Korakas was waiting at the makeshift landing pad. Explosions sounded all around them as the enemies artillery rained down on the base, nobody payed attention to it, Snipes could hear bombers overhead, but somehow Korakas decimated AA emplacements kept them in check. Snipes could hear the front lines changing, the clash of battle and screams of the beaten.

"RAIDERS! I NEED YOU ON THE SOUTHERN FLANK, THEIR ARMOR IS MOVING!" Korakas yelled over the noise.

"WE NEED TO TALK FIRST!" Snipes yelled back.

Snipes grabbed him roughly by the arm and guided him roughly to the nearest tent, a supply tent, it was empty, that was good. He turned to stare into Snipes visor, he was about to open his mouth, Snipes fist was already flying though, the armored fist striking the open face, blood flew everywhere. Snipes grabbed his head and slammed it into a supply crate and held it there.

"I think it's time you tell me what the hell is going on here."

"You're going to the stockades for this."

"No, actually I'm here to asses the situation and take actions as necessary, they trust my judgment and that's why I'm here. Now speak up."

"I, I've got a mine, under the terraforming plant, it's very, very profitable. I'm not leaving it."

"Then how are you getting the goods off-planet?"

"Smugglers, a hutt contract."

"Workers?"

"Slaves, procured from trandoshans."

"Why didn't you report this to the Vast Empire?"

"Bigger profits."

"Your army is getting torn to pieces trying to fight this battle."

"I'm not letting Grelay or Lambert have my mines."

"Lambert doesn't even want the mines. This is going to have to go into my report."

"NO! No! Please, I'll cut you in, 30%."

"Don't kid me."

"Forty percent!"

"Fifty and it's a deal."

"Fine, now let me go."

Snipes released him. He brushed himself off and tried to stop the bleeding in his nose.

"If you want to defend this plant there are better ways to do it." Snipes pulled his field data pad from his belt and brought up a map of the lines. "Move the bulk of your force to the north, along the mountains and roughly a quarter should be over here, along the acidic lake to the south in this craggy outcropping, it's looks like the only way down to the lake without having to crawl down a cliff. RAIDERS will join your men down there, we'll also need one or two tanks, preferably the quickest and another squad of stormtroopers."

"Leave a corridor open? Think they'll march right down it like they should?"

"No, they'll try and trap the smaller portion of your force between them and the lake, but I've got a plan for getting us out of there."

"I'm risking alot leaving this up to you."

"Yeah, you are."

"Fine, but for now we need you on the southern flank until the enemy has been pushed back."

"Lambert is coming with me."

"Fine."

Snipes turned and abruptly left the tent, RAIDERS were gathered around the tent, a short distance away. These modern tents were more like sheds, no sound had traveled through it. Snipes signaled to RAIDERS to follow him. They went back to the landing pad and took a short LAAT/i ride through the battle to the southern flank. The battle raged bellow and around them, the LAAT's were forced to defend were forced to defend themselves from both ground and air based attacks, the archaic machines trying desperately to stand up against more modern imperial technologies. It wasn't uncommon to see one burst into flames or get hit by an ion pulse and crash into the lines, causing terrible casualties everywhere. Snipes was glad when the thing finally came to a halt fifteen feet above the ground and allowed the RAIDERS to disembark.

They were still beaten up and bruised, many of their wounds had once again again opened or had never been closed, but they were still in better shape than the regulars in the trenches.

An artillery blast reminded Snipes he wasn't invisible, Snipes made a crouched run into the nearest trench, followed closely by RAIDERS and Lambert. Snipes picked up the first rifle he found and handed it to the dishonored Captain and nodded, for now he was a RAIDER.
{Comnet Hermit}
-=Wraith PRIDE=- - Former Member - 3 years.
VE Smoker Association
Diligo, Laus, Sors quod Fortuna.
The few, The proud, The CrAZy RAIDERS.
----------------------------------------------
SL/FSG Sniping101/3SQD/1PLT/1COM/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE [LoR][IH][BoA][CDSx2][CoR][ES1][EW1][CoS][GS][GRP]
Author/JRN Snipeth/Lotaith/VET/VE
----------------------------------------------
You may not have the urge to break the law, but you are still bound to ignore it. - Outlaw saying.
Dante
ComNet Expert

Dante

[VE-ARMY] Gunnery Sergeant

Post Number:  1573
Total Posts:  1920
September 17, 2008 3:13:11 PM    View the profile of Dante 
The RAIDERS slogged through the dust as the dropship reeled in its troop dispersal cables again and took off again. Dante heard a loud explosion, followed by a series of clangs, and didn't need to turn around to see what had happened. The smoking remains of their transport fell around and behind them, followed by a series of hisses as the flames consumed plastoid and flesh.

Overhead, yet another wave of troop transports, an odd mix of more LAATi's and HAETs, flew towards the battle raging a hundred meters from the RAIDERS landing zone. Octuptarra droids and AT-AA's fired at the transports, sending high explosive rounds and blaster shots into the formation. Two, then three of the transports, were blown to pieces and fell in a glittering cloud of twisted durasteel. The remaining dropships returned fire. Mass drivers and repeating blaster cannons ripped through shields and armour plating, and the three-legged combat droids collapsed as their legs gave way under them. Even before the last droid had completely shut down, the shuttles had already landed, with troops pouring out from the hatches.

With every step Dante took, he felt a brief stab of pain in his chest from a vibroblade wound he'd taken earlier in the battle. What hurt more, though, was the knowledge that the Major had betrayed them. Sniping 101 had promptly sent them a recording of his conversation with the man after his return to the squad, and had discussed his plan with them over the squad channel. Dante had felt first disbelief then rage. Losing squad mates for a cause was bad enough. Losing them for some lunatic's greed was unforgivable, even if Kry had been a piece of scum. One way or another, that bastard would pay, rules be damned. Now, as they ran towards the lakeside battle raging just ahead, Dante began to felt misgivings.

The RAIDERS moved past the vehicles Sniping 101 had requested, a pair of TX-130T repulsor tanks. Both of the aging tanks were taking heavy fire, but their armour absorbed the energy beams with little visible damage. The forward tank opened up with its beam cannon, and the composite beam reduced a squad of red armoured rocketeers and the ground they had been standing on to a patch of smoldering glass.

More took their places, however, and one of the combat hovercraft shuddered under repeated proton torpedo impacts. It turned as it tried to move out of the line of fire, only to take one of the missiles in the lightly armoured area connecting its hull and cockpit. The tank's left pad flew off, and its repulsorlifts failed as the vehicle shook from interior secondary explosions.

Beyond the combat tanks, Vast Imperial and Remnant troops gutted and shot each other in vicious hand-to-hand combat. Grenades detonated, tearing through plastoid armour and the unfortunate troopers within. It was into this fray that the RAIDERS charged, firing as they went.

Dante saw a red-armoured trooper rip the pin off a frag grenade and sent a four shot burst into his head. The blue energy bolts vaporized the clone's helmet and reduced his face to a carbonized ruin. The unpinned frag fell well short of the group, and detonated in the bottom of the trench. A charred E-11 was thrown up by the blast, clattering on debris as it fell back into the trench. The RAIDERS leaped into the trench, followed by the regular stormtroopers.

Sniping 101 led the charge, wielding a vibrosword he'd liberated from one of the enemy troopers, and the rest of the squad finished off those he'd left behind. The durasteel blade hummed as it carved through limbs, left jagged holes in body armour, and sent weapons spinning from their owner's hands. One of the red-armoured troopers that the Sergeant had missed was aiming a blaster pistol at his back when a trio of blaster bolts hit it in the face. It fell, the pistol dropping from his suddenly limp hands as he did so.

The Raiders had almost finished clearing the trench out when the tank fired on them. The thermal detonator-tipped missiles streaked into an area of the trench meters away from the RAIDERS, violently erupting and collapsing that part of the structure. Half a dozen of the VE troopers accompanying them vanished in the blast, and debris flew in all directions.

"What the hell are you..." one of the allied Sergeants roared, only to be consumed by a second pair of warheads. The tank moved to the left, then to the right, strafing the trench top with its top-mounted beam cannon. Dante felt a heat wave wash over him and the body suit's internal temperature rise as the particle beam played inches above his helmet.

Sniping 101 gestured for the RAIDERS to move, and they crawled several meters to the right of their former position. Setting his helmet transmission to audio, he spoke.

"Korakas." the squad leader spat, making the word seem like a curse.

"Now what?" Lambert asked. "We don't have the firepower to take that thing on, and there's no one left to help us."

Sniping 101 glanced at a group of weapons, clumped nearby to their former owners.

"Fortunately, I have a plan..."

OOC:
Surprise surprise, ole Korakas double crossed us. Getting rid of a blackmailer and another partner's just hitting two hawk-bats with one stone for him. If this contradicts the plot, I'll change it.
TRP/GSGDante/2SQD/1PLT/1COM/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE
*HeavyWeapons *
Read the bloody manual!
"Never believe a rumour of my demise. I have as many lives as a cat. Also as many teeth, as many claws, and the same cheery, cooperative disposition." Peter Wiggin, Xenocide

"I knew this plan would never work!"
"None of our plans ever work."
"That's why we carry guns."
[This message has been edited by Dante (edited September 17, 2008 3:27:06 PM)]
[This message has been edited by Dante (edited September 17, 2008 3:42:06 PM)]
[This message has been edited by Dante (edited September 17, 2008 3:55:35 PM)]
ComNet > Stormtrooper Corps > Archived Stormtrooper Corps Story Board > Burning Worlds (RAIDERS)  |  New Posts    
  Pages:  [ 1 2 ]   

All times are CST. The time now is 10:43:51 PM
Comnet Jump:

Current Online Members - 0  |  Guests - 167  |  Bots - 2

< Contact Us - The Vast Empire >