Communications Network
Vast Empire  -  New Posts  -  Search  -  Statistics  -  Login 

ComNet > Stormtrooper Corps > Archived Army Main ComNet > Drill squad recommendations

Pages:  [ 1 2 ]   
Author
Topic:  Drill squad recommendations
Cosmic
ComNet Disciple

[VE-ARMY] High Colonel
[VE-DJO] Krath Prophet(ess) (KPR)
[VE-VEEC] Chief Editor

Post Number:  2333
Total Posts:  7772
  RE: Drill squad recommendations
August 14, 2004 12:16:55 AM    View the profile of Cosmic 
Afyon, I'm all in favor of gaming, but we have to look at the reality of things here. I, myself, have tried hosting numerous gaming competitions, but were all in vain. It doesn't matter how many competitions you host. If you don't have the people to actually participate in them, then they're useless. Creating more competitions won't jumpstart anything, and you'd only be repeating history.

The problem is neither how to increase gaming activity or recruit new members, so lets get this into perspective, and get that main idea into your guys' heads. We don't need help recruiting. Hell, we managed to recruit a good 15 people or so within 7 days, so we know that recruiting isn't an issue. The problem that we must focus on here is knowing what to do once the recruits hit that Submit Join Application button. Once we've got them into training, what then?

As it is right now, we are mixing gamers and writers together, and at the moment, we have more writers than gamers. We keep filling the squads with the various new recruits without even really knowing what they're expertise is (writing/gaming), and so when we create a gaming competition and see a lack of participation, we don't know why. Well, the answer is simple: We don't have a method of identifying new blood. We DO NOT KNOW who our new gamers or writers are, and so we have absolutely NO IDEA as to who is going to participate in gaming or writing competitions.

The point of having writing squads and gaming squads within the Army is just a method for us to use to identify who likes what, or who is better/has more interest in a category.

I will repeat my method once again, because I know this can and will work:

1) On the Join Form, we have two checkboxes. These boxes will allow them to choose what interests them more: Gaming/Writing.(1)

2) Once the trainees get into Drill, we keep them there for 2-3 weeks (or 10 days, or whatever amount of time we decide), and we show them examples of what kind of writing we expect from them so they can get a feel for how to write in an RPG sense.

3) Once they know the basics and get a sense of how our club operates, we then transfer them to the proper squad, whether that be a writing-oriented squad or a gaming-oriented squad.

(1) In my opinion, if we truly want this club to grow and expand, it is imperative that we make changes to allow growth. And by this I mean we must have a system that allows us to identify our members' interests effectively, and have the proper facilities to distribute those members according to their interests. In order to do this, I believe that each division (not including the DJO) should have a "Writers Guild" and a "Gamers Guild". (I'm using the term "Guild" loosely here.) On the Join Form we would have an option for them to choose what "Guild" they're most interested in. If the recruit feels that he/she is interested in both writing and gaming, then by all means, we let them participate in either the writing missions and gaming competitions.

By doing the above, I believe we are creating more options, and giving us the oppertunities to open so many new doors in the future. This method gives us a entirely new variety of activity.

-----------------------
Cleric "Cosmic" Vor'soth
CoT/HCL Cosmic/HCA-3/SL/3SQD/2PLT/1COMP/1BAT/Tadath/VEA/VE [OPE][OTH][OPA][EW1][CDS][IH][GS][LM][SoS][CoH][PoC][MSM][SCP][IOC][SoA]
-----------------------
Cleric "Cosmic" Vor'soth
SL/KPR Cosmic/Lion 1-1/mSSD Atrus/VEDJ/VE [VP][KC1][OAK]
-----------------------
[This message has been edited by Cosmic (edited August 15, 2004 1:40:17 PM)]
Fury
ComNet Overlord

[VE-ARMY] High General
[VE-VEHC] High General*

Post Number:  1578
Total Posts:  2689
August 14, 2004 2:20:53 PM    View the profile of Fury 
Thanks for your input.

Now I'm probably going to insult you all.

First things first.  The topic was to figure out what we could do better with Drill squad. As soon as I had the idea to get this post up, Kadann grabbed Japheth and I and presented an email response-and-training system for our new recruits.  Pre-set questions/lessons, automated responses based on recruit reply emails.  Excellent idea and I have forwarded the basics of that to Cosmic and Rizzit for assistance.

Now, between that and Cosmic's on-the-ball response time to the autojoin messages, we've got probably the best comprehensive response to giving a recruit the feeling that we are available and willing to present info.  At least we will once the auto-lesson bot kicks in.

Now, how do we handle the recruits we receive?

Let's expand this out.  We have basically writing and gaming members.  The gaming members are not as representative as they could be.  The writers are sporadic and not as evenly qualified as they could be.  I don't expect your time and mine spent to improve grammar or create the ultimate saberist, but I do expect us to try harder.

Truth is, the club is story driven.  For good or ill, our activity is higher whenever there is a story going on.  That, however, does not mean we can't function around the activity of a gaming group.

Yes, that means I am (and this is a change from past responses of mine) in favor of specialized squads.  Not just for writing or gaming, but also for RPG purposes. It may change the way our squads interact but I suspect some overlapping will occur.  Not every current squad is filled with just writers, and I suspect that goes both ways.

As I see it from what you guys have been saying, we don't need just Cosmic keeping the Corps together from his two-hatted job as Training Officer and Drill SL.  We need to get him some help.  We need approved writing rules and possibly some writing coaches.  We definitely need to put together not just gaming comps, but gaming coaches to challenge our Zone kids from the get-go.  This may be an extension of the recruiting team, seeing as they are collecting extra pay anyway.

We also need some type of RPG GM to spread their wealth of knowledge to others.  We keep talking about RPGing and following a set of rules, D6/D20, but it never happens.  Hell, down the road we'll want to get website standards and maybe a graphics coach as well. 

This means a few things.  I need to work on the ATC and refine the specialties.  We ALL need to figure out what troops need to know about our club, about the Empire, about the environment in which we play, as soon as possible.  We need to tap our resource base and see what we can conceivably support.  I'm not talking about 50 people, half inactive.  Kad has us more publicly available and I see the new recruit list loading up.  Let's set the bar a lot higher than what we've been used to for years.

Let's quit bickering and start finding viable solutions to address the wants and needs of that new influx.  It may end up changing things around here, but I believe we have enough historical and personal foundation to not let this club go too far out of hand.  I wouldn't want to stay if things didn't feel like the same old VE and I don't expect any of you to either.  But let's take a few chances and see what happens. Okay?

Keep those ideas coming and weigh in on the few comments I've made.

-----------------------
PRF/HG Fury/VEA/TADATH/VE [SCP][PoC][SotE:HC][SotE:VEA][IOC]
Prefect - Stormtrooper Corps
Administrator - Imperial Center
[This message has been edited by Fury (edited August 14, 2004 2:24:33 PM)]
Fury
ComNet Overlord

[VE-ARMY] High General
[VE-VEHC] High General*

Post Number:  1578
Total Posts:  2689
August 14, 2004 2:31:10 PM    View the profile of Fury 
Hmm, been working on my post off-and-on all day and didn't catch Cosmic's post.  Good stuff and lets talk about some of those detailed concepts as we move on.

-----------------------
PRF/HG Fury/VEA/TADATH/VE [SCP][PoC][SotE:HC][SotE:VEA][IOC]
Prefect - Stormtrooper Corps
Administrator - Imperial Center
ComNet > Stormtrooper Corps > Archived Army Main ComNet > Drill squad recommendations  |  New Posts    
  Pages:  [ 1 2 ]   

All times are CST. The time now is 6:53:44 AM
Comnet Jump:

Current Online Members - 0  |  Guests - 89  |  Bots - 0

< Contact Us - The Vast Empire >