Communications Network
Vast Empire  -  New Posts  -  Search  -  Statistics  -  Login 

ComNet > Imperial Navy > Archived Naval Certifications > Gurlanin: Zero Gravity Combat

Author
Topic:  Gurlanin: Zero Gravity Combat
Gurlanin
ComNet Member

Gurlanin

[VE-NAVY] Petty Officer 2nd Class

Post Number:  388
Total Posts:  757
  Gurlanin: Zero Gravity Combat
May 15, 2013 7:14:52 AM    View the profile of Gurlanin 
“Alright then, you scruffy looking lot!”

Grent, and the rest of Cresh flight, including the new pilot who’s name was Tiberius Dekam, were in one of the Vast Empire’s Zero Gravity training environments. Since their recent great success at Gwadd LK Nale, and being granted TIE Hunters, Strill had been told, in no uncertain terms, that they were going to be doing a lot more commando-esque style assaults. They were still going to be flying, as they were, primarily, a fighter squadron, but they would be getting assigned more and more missions that involved landing in hostile territory, and maybe even aboard enemy ships as a boarding party. As such, Grent was determined to have his flight ready for any eventuality. If there was an advantage to grab, Grent would make sure his flight held it tight. Learning how to survive in environments that had no gravity would give Cresh a massive advantage in places where the artificial gravity had been cut off.

They were starting out in their Storm Commando armour, as opposed to specially designed Zero-G suits, as that was the most likely thing that they would be wearing in any boarding actions, or special operations. They did, however, now have tiny thrusters attached to their boots, which would aid in manoeuvring. Grent was taking this training session.

“You know why were here. We’ve got to be prepared for every …”
“… eventuality. Yes, Top: we know. You’ve told us a thousand times,” said Lady, her voice enriched with sarcasm, as she did a slow cartwheel in the zero gravity.
“Just making sure. I’m still new at this leading thing, remember? Now, I’ve had the techs set up this place with debris and the like. We’ve got to get to the other side as quickly as possible as a team!” Grent emphasised the team part, just as Edge and Lady started to shove each other out of the way, causing a hilarious failing of arms, as both drifted apart and into the walls, “Oh dear …”
Tiberius chuckled, “Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.”

If they didn’t have their helmets on, Grent would imagine that both Edge and Lady would be laughing. But then again, if they didn’t have their helmets on, they wouldn’t be breathing. As they only had a limited supply of oxygen in their suits, more than a standard TIE flight suit would have, granted, but still not too much, Grent quickly called the flight to order, and started them on the basics, teaching them how to counteract any movement with their thrusters. For an example, he got Edge to spin him, which in turn sent Edge into a spin. Grent activated his thrusters, and slowed down to a stop facing the trio again. Edge was still spinning, so Grent grabbed a hold of him, which started Grent spinning. Again, he used his foot thrusters to slow himself, and Edge, down.

After mastering the basics of control, Grent began to teach them how to move around, primarily by grabbing onto the nearest solid surface and pulling gently. He taught them that they had to work together as a team, to prevent anyone from drifting off. What he didn’t tell them, was that this was only his third time in zero-g, and that his knowledge was mostly theoretical. So far, it had worked ok.

Now at the end of the course, Grent turned the flight around, and led them through it again. Debris was floating everywhere, so they couldn’t take exactly the same route. Several times, one of the flight would get caught too far away from anything to move properly. It was at those times, someone would either go and get them, or use their thrusters. However, as the thrusters were on their feet, it only provided limited help. However, after the fifth run through, the flight had mastered movement, and how to assist each other. Now came the part Grent was going to enjoy the most.

“Right then. Edge and Lady? You go to the far side of the course. Once you get there, start to head back.” As they started to turn around, Grent handed them training pistols.
“What are these for, Top?”
“Me and newbie are going to try to kill you.”
“This wouldn’t happen to be revenge for what Boomer set up, would it?”
“Oh no. I killed you then too.”

The pair left, and when they got to the other side, as Grent had instructed them, they turned around and started to come back. Almost immediately, a shot hit Lady dead in the chest, and Grent’s voice came over the comm.

“Use the debris for cover. Remember that you can move it.”

And move it they did, blocking any further shots.

Grent was impressed with his flight, as he and Tiberius made their way down the course, using two bits of large metal sheets to cover their movements. He moved from cover to cover, using his thrusters as little as possible to hide his position. Tiber popped up from cover, and let off a couple of shots at the pair, whilst Grent made his way behind them. Edge was the closest, with Lady just a bit off. Putting his back against the wall, the Flight Leader placed his feet on another bit of debris, and pushed it towards them, knocking them and sending them into a spin. Grent fired his training pistol twice, both shots finding their mark.

“Didn’t I say to use the debris? It can be a weapon, a distraction, portable cover. Let’s run it again.”

They tried again twice more, before they finally ran low on air. Once outside, Grent congratulated his flight, and gave them the rest of the day off from training.

OOC:
WC: 959

AAR: Grent takes the rest of Cresh flight through a Zero-G training program, designed to give them the upper hand in their commando roles, should they find themselves with no gravity.
Petty Officer 2nd Class Grent "Gurlanin" Notimo, 58th (Strill) Squadron

FL | PO2 Gurlanin | Iron 8 | S:58 "Strill" | W:101 "Blade" | ISD II "Adjudicator" | TF: Aurek | 2nd Fleet | SC | VEN | VE

Imperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars Image
Imperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars Image [CNQST]

(=^TG^=)
{GrAt}{AFM}{Infl}{SFT}{Gunn}{Shut}{Slice}
TosthAaaiser
ComNet Initiate

TosthAaaiser

[VE-NAVY] Chief Petty Officer

Post Number:  120
Total Posts:  232
  RE: Gurlanin: Zero Gravity Combat
May 20, 2013 12:21:59 AM    View the profile of TosthAaaiser 
I believe there is enough detail to give you a pass, Gur.

Just a couple comments.

Definitely give a few more details. You did show proficiency using the commando armor, but I personally wasn't entirely convinced you could use the armor to its full extent.

Such as was the case in your combat scenario... I would have liked to see you describe using the armor more extensively to avoid incoming fire from your targets.

But all in all, a good post regarding Zero-G Combat.
JC |CPO Tosth “Fishhead” Aaaiser |ISD Adjudicator | TF:A | 2Flt |FC |VEN | VE
TO | CPO "Fishhead" | PLF Cappadocious | VENA | VEN | VE

Imperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars Image
Imperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars Image

{XenB}{LogS}{Shut}
Imperial Network Star Wars Image
Gurlanin
ComNet Member

Gurlanin

Post Number:  421
May 20, 2013 12:24:14 AM    View the profile of Gurlanin 
Wait ... is this an official marking, or are you just voicing your opinion?

FL | PO2 Gurlanin | Iron 8 | S:58 "Strill" | W:101 "Blade" | ISD II "Adjudicator" | TF: Aurek | 2nd Fleet | SC | VEN | VE

Imperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars Image

(=^TG^=)
TosthAaaiser
ComNet Initiate

TosthAaaiser

[VE-NAVY] Chief Petty Officer

Post Number:  121
Total Posts:  232
May 20, 2013 1:22:34 PM    View the profile of TosthAaaiser 
Hades wrote:Joamer and Fishhead can both grade certs and Skills, save their own. DeepSix too. I'd like aforementioned individuals to get on it, seeing as I'm stuck on my phone for now

Official. With a bit of personal critique. I know the response is a bit odd, but this is the first official post I've graded.
JC |CPO Tosth “Fishhead” Aaaiser |ISD Adjudicator | TF:A | 2Flt |FC |VEN | VE
TO | CPO "Fishhead" | PLF Cappadocious | VENA | VEN | VE

{XenB}{LogS}{Shut}
Imperial Network Star Wars Image
Gurlanin
ComNet Member

Gurlanin

Post Number:  422
May 20, 2013 1:34:11 PM    View the profile of Gurlanin 
/me slaps forehead

Oh course ... Fishhead = you. Sorry. And thank you. Your criticism was useful either way.

Imperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars Image

(=^TG^=)
ComNet > Imperial Navy > Archived Naval Certifications > Gurlanin: Zero Gravity Combat  |  New Posts    

All times are CST. The time now is 5:49:38 AM
Comnet Jump:

Current Online Members - 0  |  Guests - 238  |  Bots - 2

< Contact Us - The Vast Empire >