Communications Network
Vast Empire  -  New Posts  -  Search  -  Statistics  -  Login 

ComNet > Imperial Navy > Archived Naval Certifications > Gurlanin: Shuttle Piloting

Author
Topic:  Gurlanin: Shuttle Piloting
Gurlanin
ComNet Cadet

Gurlanin

[VE-NAVY] Leading Crewman

Post Number:  240
Total Posts:  757
  Gurlanin: Shuttle Piloting
April 27, 2013 5:18:30 AM    View the profile of Gurlanin 
Piloting Shuttles

During his extended stay at the Vast Empire Naval Academy, Grent had made it his prerogative to cram as much extra-curricular knowledge and skills as possible. So far, he had been able to persuade one of the Academy shuttle pilots to take the young hopeful on as a trainee. They had flown all over Abrae, including up to some of the VE capital ships in orbit, to pick up supplies and/or transfer students. Today, however, was the result of two months work, using almost ever moment of free time he had to memorise the controls and procedures involved. Today: he would be in control.

"You ready, Gur?" said Petty Officer Mike "Nero" Jones, the shuttle pilot Grent had befriended.
"As ready as I'll ever be," replied a nervous Gurlanin. 

The two men made their way to the shuttle, called "Archangel", and got in: Grent into the pilot's chair, and Nero into the co-pilot's chair. This was not Grent's first time behind the controls. He had flown simulator, and parts of missions. It would, however, be the first time he was in control from beginning to end. His Instructors at the Academy had approved this, much to Grent's surprise: he half expected them to say no. But they'd encouraged him, in fact, and quite happily approved the exercise. So here he was, in the pilot's chair, about to fly a routine supply mission. If anything went wrong, then Nero could take over with minimal disruption.

It was time.

"Academy tower, this is shuttle Archangel. Request permission to commence supply run. Over"
" Archangel, this is Academy tower. Permission granted. Take off clearance approved," came the voice over the radio. Grent was just preparing to respond, when the voice came back, "And good luck out there, Gurlanin."
So they knew. Of course they did: it made sense for them to know. "Roger that, tower. And thanks.  Archangel out."
Nero leaned over, "Good. Now comes the tricky part."
"Nah," replied Grent, nervously laughing whilst absolutely petrified within, "The tricky part comes explaining why the gymnasium has a shuttle sticking through its roof."

Nero laughed, which helped put Grent at ease, and assisted Grent in his pre-sortie checks. Once everything was ticked off, Grent began his take off sequence. He turned up the engine power, adjusted the flaps, and checked the repulsors: all was going well so far. They soared up from the open air landing pad, until they were 10 metres clear of the next highest building. Then came the trickiest part: opening the wings. On the TIEs his class were practising on, once they'd taken off they were good to go, and whilst there were some TIEs that did have folding wings, the Academy class didn't have to worry about it just yet. It was just one of many differences between the shuttle and the starfighter, with another one being how heavy handed Grent had to be to control the shuttle. Grent overcame this difference easily, considering that all he had to do was flip a switch, which he did with great dramatical effect, for the benefit of his co-pilot. The wings opened up, and Grent opened the thrusters, powering them forwards. He opened up the navigation charts, so see where the ship they were taking the supplies from. Then angled towards it.

"Let up on the throttle a bit, Gur. This ain't one of your TIEs."

Grent had been so absorbed in flying, he had forgotten that he wasn't in a starfighter, and couldn't go as fast. He eased the throttle back, until the SFS-204 ion engines purred gently. Grent was getting the hang of this.

OOC:
WC: 612

AAR: Based when Grent is still in the academy.
Leading Crewman Grent "Gurlanin" Notimo, 58th (Strill) Squadron

FM | LCRW Gurlanin | Iron Eight | S:58 "Strill" | W:101 "Blade" | ISD II "Adjudicator" | TF:Aurek | 2nd Fleet | SC | VEN | VE

Imperial Network Star Wars Image Imperial Network Star Wars Image

{GrAt}{AFM}{Infl}{SFT}{Gunn}
(=TG=)
Hades
ComNet Marshal
Imperial Baronet

Hades

[VE-DJO] Uninitiate
[VE-NAVY] Ensign

Post Number:  1015
Total Posts:  1245
  RE: Gurlanin: Shuttle Piloting
April 29, 2013 9:22:39 AM    View the profile of Hades 
Hmm.. while it does cover Shuttle Piloting, I'm not entirely sure it's covered it to an extent that satisfies me enough to pass you.

There's nothing wrong with it, per se, it just needs a little more details. I'd like to see Gurlanin struggle a bit, slowly coming to a realisation similar to, 'hey, it's actually easier if I do this, adjust this, use this,' or something along those lines. Just a bit more detail..

Chief of Naval Training, 50th Squadron Commander

SCO | ESN "Hades" | Cobalt 1 | S:50 "Chlovi" | W:101 "Blade" | ISD Adjudicator | TF:Aurek | 2nd Fleet | SC | VEN | VE
CNT | ESN "Hades" | PLF Cappadocious | VENA | VEN | VE

VENI

"When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's superior, make life rue the day it thought it could give Demetrius Aita lemons, do you know who I am?! I'm the man who's going to burn your house down - with the lemons!"
-- Hades

{INTER} {SfrM} {XenMA} {GrAt} (=*SWC*=) (=TG=) (=*FOCE*=) {AFM} {HypM} {0Gee} {INFL}
Imperial Network Star Wars Image
Gurlanin
ComNet Cadet

Gurlanin

Post Number:  254
April 29, 2013 1:00:57 PM    View the profile of Gurlanin 
I thought I'd done that with the opening of the wings and the engines.

FM | LCRW Gurlanin | Iron Eight | S:58 "Strill" | W:101 "Blade" | ISD II "Adjudicator" | TF:Aurek | 2nd Fleet | SC | VEN | VE

(=TG=)
Gurlanin
ComNet Cadet

Gurlanin

Post Number:  276
May 3, 2013 10:09:49 AM    View the profile of Gurlanin 
During his extended stay at the Vast Empire Naval Academy, Grent had made it his prerogative to cram as much extra-curricular knowledge and skills as possible. So far, he had been able to persuade one of the Academy shuttle pilots to take the young hopeful on as a trainee. They had flown all over Abrae, including up to some of the VE capital ships in orbit, to pick up supplies and/or transfer students. Today, however, was the result of two months work, using almost ever moment of free time he had to memorise the controls and procedures involved. Today: he would be in control.

"You ready, Gur?" said Petty Officer Mike "Nero" Jones, the shuttle pilot Grent had befriended.
"As ready as I'll ever be," replied a nervous Gurlanin. 

The two men made their way to the shuttle, called "Archangel", and got in: Grent into the pilot's chair, and Nero into the co-pilot's chair. This was not Grent's first time behind the controls. He had flown simulator, and parts of missions. It would, however, be the first time he was in control from beginning to end. His Instructors at the Academy had approved this, much to Grent's surprise: he half expected them to say no. But they'd encouraged him, in fact, and quite happily approved the exercise. So here he was, in the pilot's chair, about to fly a routine supply mission. If anything went wrong, then Nero could take over with minimal disruption.

It was time to fly.

"Academy tower, this is shuttle Archangel. Request permission to commence supply run. Over"
"Archangel, this is Academy tower. Permission granted. Take off clearance approved," came the voice over the radio. Grent was just preparing to respond, when the voice came back, "And good luck out there, Gurlanin."
So they knew. Of course they did: it made sense for them to know. "Roger that, tower. And thanks. Archangel out."
Nero leaned over, "Good. Now comes the tricky part."
"Nah," replied Grent, nervously laughing whilst absolutely petrified within, "The tricky part comes explaining why the gymnasium has a shuttle sticking through its roof."

Nero laughed, which helped put Grent at ease, and assisted Grent in his pre-sortie checks. Once everything was ticked off, Grent began his take off sequence. He turned up the engine power, adjusted the flaps, and checked the repulsors: all was going well so far. They soared up from the open air landing pad, until they were 10 metres clear of the next highest building. Then came the trickiest part: opening the wings. On the TIEs his class were practising on, once they'd taken off they were good to go, and whilst there were some TIEs that did have folding wings, the Academy class didn't have to worry about it just yet. It was just one of many differences between the shuttle and the starfighter, with another one being how heavy handed Grent had to be to control the shuttle. Grent overcame this difference easily, considering that all he had to do was flip a switch, which he did with great dramatical effect, for the benefit of his co-pilot. The wings opened up, and Grent opened the thrusters, powering them forwards. He opened up the navigation charts, so see where the ship they were taking the supplies from. Then angled towards it.

"Let up on the throttle a bit, Gur. This ain't one of your TIEs."

Grent had been so absorbed in flying, he had forgotten that he wasn't in a starfighter, and couldn't go as fast. He eased the throttle back, until the SFS-204 ion engines purred gently. Grent was getting the hang of this.

Unlike the Interceptor, the shuttle was not very aerodynamic, and suffered from turbulence, relying heavily on the repulsors to keep it flying when in the atmosphere of a planet. Grent was struggling with the controls, trying to get the craft to go where he wanted it to, but the shuttle seemed to have a mind of its own, and was constantly veering off to the side, or diving on occasion. Seeing his protégé struggle, Nero reached over, and adjusted some of the controls that dictated the repulsors. The craft stopped vibrating violently, and flew smoothly.

“What did you do?” Grent asked.
“A shuttle’s not as quick as a fighter, nor as agile. As such, you have to change the angle of the repulsors every now and then, so that you’re not fighting the ol’ girl. If she starts to bank, it means the repulsors are too far over one side. Once we get into space, it’s not so much of a problem, until we come into land.”
“Ah, ok. I think I get it.”

OOC:
WC:780

I've added an extra bit at the end, detailing Grent struggling with the controls, and finding out how to adjust them properly. Also edited a few grammatical errors, and other issues in the original text.

(=TG=)
DeepSix
ComNet Member

DeepSix

[VE-DJO] Adept
[VE-ICS] Pirate Swabbie
[VE-NAVY] Commander

Post Number:  775
Total Posts:  973
May 4, 2013 3:26:49 AM    View the profile of DeepSix 
Ehm... why is there an "Academy tower" in there? Given VENA's current status that should've been the PLF Cappadocious - as either the entire station or its traffic control operators if you wanted to be specific. VENA no longer has any real surface presence anymore...

Personally I would've preferred you either named the model of whichever shuttle you were using or at least described it in more detail as currently, after reading through it twice, I still cannot get a clear picture of it. I know it's the Lambda because that's what the cert required of you, but if I did not know that then I would not have been able to tell from just the text alone. There are after all at least two more Imperial shuttle models that have retractable wings that I can think of right now, without having to hit the books or check the wikia to make sure.

The comparison between the shuttles and the starfighters also feels somewhat redundant at first, only towards the end there being an actual difference mentioned - the increased difficulty/pressure needed to control the former. It just feels like it could've been worded better.

"were taking the supplies from" => "were taking the supplies to" (since I assume you likely knew where you were taking off from )

Provided my SW lore isn't too rusty, I believe most vehicles/ships were required to abstain from using ion engines within a planet's atmosphere, so it's not really a matter of choice for most pilots.

The above are mostly nitpicks though and I for one couldn't really find anything wrong with the rest of the piece. Given the skill required only 500 WC I believe the extra paragraph you added has provided enough relevant content to make this a PASS. Feel free to update your wiki page and/or ID line to reflect as much.

PS - This is just my own personal opinion on the matter but I would've liked this to feel more... natural rather than something that had to be done in order to gain something - which is the impression it currently leaves e with.

PPS - In the future just edit the original post if you're going to make changes to it. Try and add more posts only if you've decided to add even more new content or if you've decided to go in a completely new direction altogether. In the latter case you may also consider a new thread entirely for such a purpose...
WC/CDR DeepSix/Golden One/S:38th Vornskr/W:101st Blade/ISD-II Adjudicator/TF:A/2Flt/SC/VEN/VE
[=*TG*=] [=*VIM*=] [=*SWC*=]

Consultant/CDR DeepSix/PLF Cappadocious/VENA/VEN/VE

TRN/AD DeepSix/DJO/Training Sect/VEDJ
Gurlanin
ComNet Cadet

Gurlanin

Post Number:  283
May 4, 2013 5:17:49 AM    View the profile of Gurlanin 
All of what you said, I thought I'd done. And I was under the impression that the academy was just that: an academy.

P.S.
With most of my focus being on Death, this was only meant to give my character a clear understanding of how to fly a shuttle, so that I could include it later.

P.P.S
Ah, I see.

(=TG=)
ComNet > Imperial Navy > Archived Naval Certifications > Gurlanin: Shuttle Piloting  |  New Posts    

All times are CST. The time now is 8:32:40 PM
Comnet Jump:

Current Online Members - 0  |  Guests - 85  |  Bots - 0

< Contact Us - The Vast Empire >