Communications Network
Vast Empire  -  New Posts  -  Search  -  Statistics  -  Login 

ComNet > Imperial Navy > Archived Naval Story Board > VENI: Deep Cover and Deep Trouble

Author
Topic:  VENI: Deep Cover and Deep Trouble
Grey
ComNet Marshal

Grey

[VE-NAVY] Captain

Post Number:  178
Total Posts:  558
  VENI: Deep Cover and Deep Trouble
July 17, 2012 8:28:47 PM    View the profile of Grey 
The Battle of Abrae

Janos Umilis wrenched the joystick of his TIE Interceptor hard to the left, banking his fighter to port as a torpedo shot past him, missing his wing by the narrowest of margins.

“He’s still on me!” He called into his helmet com, weaving left and right as he evaded the hail of laser fire that now lanced out of his pursuer, also an Interceptor, though this one with the markings of the Imperial Dominion.

“I’m coming, Seven!” Came his wingman’s reply in his ear.  The other pilot, a member of Janos’s highly decorated Twister Squadron, spoke with a rustic Outer Rim accent, about which Umilis, from the Core, often teased him.

Seven watched his scanners, and combined that with glances over his shoulder through the small window at the back of his cockpit.  Since his early days in the Vast Empire Navy, Janos had had almost a sixth sense about where people were.  He had a natural knack for mentally combining sensor data and simple observation to keep a great sense of where both his friends and his foes were in a battle.

Suddenly, the pursuing TIE exploded, vaped from behind by Twister Eight. “Got him!”  Came his old friend’s voice in Umilis’s ear.

“Nice one!” Replied Seven, forming up on the other’s wing.  “Now, let’s go deal with those pair of TIE Advanced menacing Five and Six!”

Coming about, the two Interceptors raced to the aid of their friends, trying to focus on them and not on the chaos that they shot through.  The Battle of Abrae, between the Vast Empire and Imperial Dominion, raged all about them.  More capital ships and fighters than Janos had ever seen blasted each other to atoms in orbit of the dull planet below.  Already the insanely grand combat had been going on for an hour, but Umilis was not tired.  He lived for flying, and this was the grandest engagement of his career!

Closing rapidly on the dogfight in progress, Seven and Eight swept down on the enemy TIE Advanced, splashing laser fire across their shields but failing to damage the superior fighters.  Still, the Imperial Dominion ships broke off their pursuit of Twisters Five and Six, diving and climbing to come about and face this new threat.

“After the one on the right!” Ordered Janos, accelerating to pursue, and hoping that their fellows would come about and deal with the one of the left.  If the two pairs of TIE Interceptors could split up and double-team the enemy TIE Advanced, they could overcome their rival’s technological superiority with ease.

The Imperial Dominion fighter raced towards a nearby cruiser of his own side, a Nebulon-B Frigate that was exchanging heavy fire with a Vast Empire Strike-Class Cruiser.

Without hesitating, the TIE Advanced tried to give his pursuers the slip by plunging headlong into the storm of turbolaser fire, and Umilis eagerly gave pursuit.  You won’t escape me! He vowed silently.

Green laser blasts shot all around him as Janos gave chase, and while the shots were blinding, his excellent combat sense allowed him to track the TIE Advanced easily.  Meanwhile, Twister Eight stayed on his wing, trying to match Seven’s superior flying skill.

Suddenly, amid the two warring capital ships, the Imperial Dominion fighter slammed on the breaks and banked hard right, pushing his fighter’s manoeuvrability to its limits in a desperate attempt to give his pursuers the slip.  Umilis was too good, however, and twisted and rolled his Interceptor to continue the chase, but the move caught Eight totally by surprise.

“He’s on my tail!” Came the other’s voice a split-second later, causing Janos to curse.  In a high-speed combat like this, hunter and hunted could change roles in the blink of an eye, and for his wingman, they just had.

“I’m still on him!” Twister Seven assured his friend, firing upon the TIE Advanced as it doggedly pursued his friend.  A few shots landed, but again were swallowed by the Imperial Dominion fighter’s shields.  Come on!  Give up the chase and break off, curse you!

Their foe was not for giving up, however, ignoring Umilis as he stayed on Eight’s tail, spewing fire into the other TIE Interceptor.  “I’m hit!” Called the other, “Shields are fail....”

And then Janos watched as his friend became a fireball.

“NO!” Cried Seven, shocked, enraged and saddened all at once.  He and Eight had flown together for two years, they were a team, a couple of friends who could take on anything!  He could not be gone, he couldn’t!

Umilis pushed aside the grief with a supreme effort of will, but the rage that had erupted in his heart was not so easily denied.  His face contorted in a snarl, and he focused on the TIE Advanced before him.

He should have focused on the duelling capital ships he was still flying between.

Seven thought of nothing but revenge, and pulled up to give chase, flying straight into a turbolaser blast.

As his TIE Interceptor cockpit exploded in his face, Janos had time to think only of his lost vengeance, and then knew nothing but blackness.

-----

Location Undisclosed

Janos Umilis floated between life and death, and being immersed in a cylindrical healing tank of soothing bacta fluid made that literally true.  Consciousness came and went, with drugs helping his head trauma to mix fantasy and reality.

At times he was flying again, with Eight at his side, and other times Janos watched his old friend die, in horrific and painful ways that had nothing to do with the actually rather quick manner of his demise.

Not that Umilis knew that.  He had lost all track of where he was and how much time had passed.  Waking and dreaming blurred into one, with agony both mental and physical a feature of both.

Slowly, however, his world began to make sense again.  After what felt like an eternity of treatments and surgeries, his dreams ceased, his eyes fluttered open, and without any sedatives in his bloodstream he looked upon the world with a clear head.

He was in a bland hospital room, white walls, floor and ceiling, with no windows or decoration.  Only a single door granted entrance and exit, but Janos’s view of that was partially blocked by the man standing at the foot of his bed.

Umilis beheld the person nearby.  The man was dressed in a bland dark grey uniform of Imperial design, though it completely lacked any rank insignia or markings.  Black leather gloves were fit tightly over his hands, matching the dark colour of his boots and belt.  All of these details, however, paled next to the man’s face.

The man’s entire human-shaped head, from the collar up, was enclosed in a tight fitting hood, which seemed to have hologram technology woven into it.  Across his features played white and black, a fury of static that danced and swirled.  It was as entrancing as it was confusing.

“Glad to see you are awake,” Said the figure, his voice as disguised as his features, coming out altered and synthesised, more akin to a droid than a living being.

“Who... who are you?” Umilis rasped with a voice that had not been used in a long time.

“I am Grey,” Said the being.  “Captain Grey.”

“The head of Naval Intelligence?” Asked Janos, his voice strengthening but still only a whisper.

“Indeed,” Confirmed the other.  “And you would be Warrant Officer 2nd Class Janos ‘Pouncer’ Umilis, also known as Twister Seven.  Born on Empress Teta twenty-eight years ago, you joined the Vast Empire four years ago.  Opting for the Navy with an ambition of, quote, ‘one day commanding a ship as large as my manhood’, you signed on for starfighter training.  You showed a natural aptitude for flying and, according to your Academy records, rated in the top 3% of any candidate that they ever had.”

Janos forced a smile, remembering the smart remarks he had put on the application.  “You know a lot about me,” He observed.  “So let’s skip to the part where you tell me why.”

The strange captain walked forwards, and lifted a small mirror from his belt and held it up to the injured pilot’s face.

Janos stared at the face looking back at him.  The figure before him was gaunt and thin, as he expected from being in hospital for any length of time, but there was far more wrong than that.  His nose and cheeks were the wrong shape, and even his eyes were the wrong color, being a shade of green-grey instead of his old brown.  “What... what the blazes have you done to me!?” He demanded with as much force as his weakened body would allow.

“You were all but dead when you were brought here five weeks ago,” Said Grey calmly.  “Your face was a burned mess, your eyes destroyed.  We not only healed you, we rebuilt your face and gave you cybernetic optics.”

“And you didn’t bother to give me the right eye color?” He asked, angered.  “Wait, how long?”

“Five weeks,” Repeated the head of VENI in his masked voice.  “And your appearance is different because I have ordered it so.”

Alarm bells began ringing in Umilis’s head.  Narrowing his eyes at the Intel Chief, he asked again, “Why?”

“You are dead,” Said Captain Grey simply.  “You died in the Battle of Abrae along with your wingman.”

Janos suddenly recalled the death of Eight, but had no time to dwell on it as the other went on.

“Your squadron and your superiors believe you dead.  A rather touching memorial was held for you, and if you wish you can watch the holo recording when you get your strength back,” Said Grey, chatting calmly about the whole thing.  “From hence forth you will have a new name, new identity, and new life.  You serve VENI now.”

“Like blazes I do!” Raged Janos.

The other watched him, though his eyes were concealed behind the static hood and could not be read.  “You have no choice.  You swore an oath to serve the Vast Empire Navy, and that’s what you will be doing.”

“I serve best by flying,” Said the other, eyes full of hate as he glared at the enigmatic being.

“And fly you shall,” Said Grey, “But not on a Vast Empire ship.”

“And what does that mean?” Asked Umilis.

Grey shook his head.  “All in due time,” Said the Captain.  “For now I shall leave you to rest.  We will speak again, and soon.”

And with that he rose and left the room without so much as goodbye.

Janos Umilis watched the strange being go, and wondered just what he was in for...

OOC:

1786 words.

After Action Report:  Janos Umilis was lost at the Battle of Abrae, but Vast Empire Naval Intelligence has saved him, remade him, and now Captain Grey has a plan to put this elite pilot to work.
Grey
ComNet Marshal

Grey

[VE-NAVY] Captain

Post Number:  202
  RE: VENI: Deep Cover and Deep Trouble
July 30, 2012 9:33:13 AM    View the profile of Grey 
Location Undisclosed

Janos Umilis rested as best he could, a few days passing as he regained his strength.  He had few visitors, only servant and medical droids, and though he was constantly assured that he was not a prisoner, he felt like one.  No one would tell him where he was, even if he was on a ship or on a ground-based installation.  And of course, he was denied access to any communications with which to contact his family, since he was ‘dead’.

The idea still gave him pause.  His friends, his family, his comrades, all believed that he had perished at the Battle of Abrae.  And still Umilis was no clearer about why the enigmatic head of Naval Intelligence, Captain Grey, had spared him.

Janos did not know what to make of Grey, who had saved his life, but also remade him so thoroughly that Umilis literally did not recognise his own face.  The head of VENI wanted the pilot to work for him, and though at first Janos was angered by the idea, he was now not so sure.  He had sworn an oath to the Vast Empire, to follow orders and to serve.  Serving VENI was different from serving in the starfighter corps, but it was still loyal.

He was still mulling this over when, several days later, Captain Grey returned to visit him.

“Feeling better?” Asked the strange figure in his artificially modulated voice.  Grey was dressed as before in a bland uniform devoid of markings, and again he wore a tight-fitting hood that covered his entire head, a blur of static playing across it.  Umilis marvelled at the lengths that Grey went to in order to conceal his identity, and wondered just what the man was hiding under that mask.

“Yes, actually,” Said Janos carefully, as Grey walked over to his bedside.  “My strength is much returned, and I have been doing exercises here in my cell.”

“Room,” Amended the head of VENI.  “Not cell.  Have you thought over my offer, to work for VENI?”

“Yes,” Confessed Umilis.  “I still do not like the idea...”

“But you will do it anyway?” Prompted Grey.

“Yes,” Said Janos, his sense of honor and loyalty to the Vast Empore over-riding his reluctance.  “However, not indefinitely!  I want to return to the fleet as soon as I can, and when I do I want my old face restored!”

The Captain did not respond immediately.  Umilis watched the static play across the other’s expressionless face, wishing he could tell what was going on inside the other’s mind.  Eventually Grey answered, “Very well.  We have a deal, Mr Umilis.”

Janos suppressed a smile.  It was a victory of sorts.  “So what exactly do you want me to do, sir?” He asked, only now responding to the other’s rank.

The VENI chief produced a datapad and handed it to the pilot.  Upon it was a picture of Umilis’s new appearance, along with a detailed biography.  “This is you.  Your name is Jagen Umquar, age twenty-eight from Empress Teta.  I have kept your age and place of origin the same for simplicity, and likewise the name is similar to your own.  Other details are pure fiction, so study them well.  Your mother was an Imperial Intelligence agent, your father a COMPNOR bureaucrat.  The rest is all in there to study.”

“You want me to go undercover,” Concluded Umilis (Umquar).

“Indeed.  The Imperial Remnant’s fighter school on New Gildris is taking applicants, and you shall be one of them,” Said Grey.  “Your natural skills as a pilot, combined with several years of genuine combat experience, will allow you to complete the training and graduate at or near the top of your class.”

“To what end?” Asked Janos (Jagen) cautiously, wondering just how long he would be on this assignment.

“All in good time, Mr Umquar,” Said the Captain, already using his new name.  “For now, study, and your proper briefing will come when you are strong enough.”

And with that Grey departed, leaving Janos (Jagen) alone with the datapad.

-----

Captain Grey sat at his office desk, which was specially created with drawer handles that would open only to the touch of his DNA.  Inside were masses of data disks and other storage devices, containing more secret information that any one being could read in years.  Around him was his bland and featureless office, giving no hint to his identity or personality.

He was pleased with how Janos Umilis had come around.  Grey had selected the man for his piloting skills and his strong sense of duty, and certainly in the latter case he had proven dependable.  Now the undercover plan hinged on ‘Jagen Umquar’ being able to successfully infiltrate and impress the teachers of the New Gildris Academy, and that was no easy thing.  Grey knew that this was no trained VENI agent, that Umilis/Umquar could slip up and give himself away easily, but he had to take the chance.

Grey sighed.  No, he thought, he was not taking the chance, Umilis was.  If the Empire suspected him as a spy, it would be all over.  A part of the Captain regretted sending Umilis into such a dangerous situation, but he also knew that he had no choice.  This mission was a vital one, and it had to be done.

The head of VENI stilled his worries, forced back his conscience, and went on with planning the details of the mission.

-----

Imperial Remnant Shuttle Green Runner
En route to New Gildris

It had been an intense week, but finally Janos Umilis (a.k.a. Jagen Umquar) was beginning his assignment.  As he sat in the military transport, glancing around at the other would-be pilots bound for New Gildris, he felt a profound feeling of fear coil around his gut.

This was not like flying a fighter.  There, when he saw the enemy, he just opened fire.  Being undercover for VENI was different.  Here the enemy were all around him, 24/7, and he could not say or do a thing to them else his cover be blown.  And thus he found that his fear and adrenaline had no release, and instead his nerves just endlessly twisted his stomach, and made him feel sick.

Captain Grey had been very thorough in preparing Umilis for the mission, though had fallen short of actually saying what the mission was.  The insertion onto an Imperial planet had been deftly executed, and there he had boarded the military shuttle (his Academy application having been handled by VENI in advance).  Grey had even briefed him on the procedures and personnel of the New Gildris Academy, so that he may better impress his new trainers.

And yet through it all, the enigmatic intelligence chief had not said why.

All Umilis knew was that, once he completed basic training and became an Imperial pilot, he would be contacted again by VENI for further instructions.  He might have thought that this vagueness was due to sloppiness on Grey’s part, except for the details with which everything leading up to it had been planned.  No, clearly he was not told his mission yet for fear of getting caught.

Umilis did not want to even think of what tortures capture would entail.

And so he sat in silence, wrestling with his fear and unease, as the shuttle dropped from hyperspace and descended to the Imperial Remnant world below.

OOC:

1232 words.

After Action Report:  Janos Umilis’s sense of honor has made him agree to serve VENI, and Captain Grey has given him his assignment.  Umilis, as ‘Jagen Umquar’, is to go undercover in the Imperial Remnant, and join their fighter school on the strategic planet of New Gildris.
Grey
ComNet Marshal

Grey

[VE-NAVY] Captain

Post Number:  220
August 8, 2012 8:19:49 PM    View the profile of Grey 
New Gildris- capital city Ilcreda

The planet New Gildris was a terrestrial type world, a place of warm summers and mild winters, that attracted predominantly human settlers from across the Mid Rim.  At some point in the distant past, the original Gildris had suffered some catastrophe and the survivors had established a new home.  Over the few thousand years since then, New Gildris has grown to a healthy population of 3 billion people, and had become a nexus of trade and business for the Lanoitis Sector.

Janos Umilis, undercover as ‘Jagen Umquar’, really did not care.  History and politics were far from his mind as the shuttle he was on came in for its landing.  Around him on board the shuttle Green Runner, the other cadets were twitchy and restless, eager to disembark.  There had been some limited chatter among them during the journey, but Umilis did not join in.  As much as he was pretending to be otherwise, these people were his sworn enemies, and he had no intention of befriending any of them.

They touched down and everyone disembarked into the stunning sunset of Ilcreda City at dusk.  From the landing pad, located at the edge of the capital, Umilis got a fantastic view of the sprawling, glittering metropolis, which seemed to sparkle gold in the early evening.  He was not the only one of those present to stop and admire the view.

“Alright, keep moving!” Barked a man in an Imperial officer's uniform, crossing to the meet the newly arrived cadets.  Umilis turned to see him, a lanky man with a wrinkled face, who was shepherding everyone towards the buildings nearby.

Located on the outskirts of Ilcreda, the New Gildris branch of the Imperial Naval Academy was the premier training facility of the entire Lanoitis Sector.  Umilis, a veteran of the Vast Empire and knowing only its naval facilities, had to admit that he was impressed.  The New Gildris Academy was constructed at the height of the Galactic Empire, when Palpatine had lavished funding upon the massive Imperial war machine.  Massive barracks were dwarfed by an even more massive adjoining citadel, crammed with defensive turrets and sensor arrays.  And nearby, on a long landing strip, entire squadrons of TIE fighters of various models sat ready for the use of the cadets.

Umilis (still telling himself to remember to respond to the name ‘Jagen Umquar’), allowed himself to be directed by the loud and pushy Imperial officer.  The Naval trainer eventually introduced himself as Lieutenant Datheen, though Umilis had little time to take it in.  The cadets entered the main complex and were shoved through the arrival regime favoured by militaries the galaxy over.

They were put through quick physicals, and details of blood and cybernetics (such as Umilis’s new cybernetic eyes) were recorded.  Then their hair was cut, training uniforms were issued, and eventually all of the cadets were directed into a large auditorium in the Academy’s central citadel.

Umilis sat with the other trainees, and now that they were assembled he could see just how many there were.  There was dozens, possibly a hundred, and he realised that not all had arrived on his shuttle.  The Academy must have been receiving arrivals all day.

Lieutenant Datheen gave a long and rambling welcome (that did not in any way seem welcoming), before, in a voice filled with sycophantic awe, he introduced a ‘special guest’ speaker for the class’s commencement address.

Umilis watched with renewed interest as the stage was taken by a tall man in a tan brown uniform.  The man was bald, with a face that seemed chiselled from stone.  Pale white eyebrows nearly blended in with his light skin tone, and dark eyes sparkled with a cunning intelligence.  When he finally spoke, it was with a natural passion and charisma, tempered and guided by the skills of a trained orator, and delivered with the crisp accent of a son of Corulag.

This, Umilis realised instantly, was a dangerous man.

“Greetings cadets,” Said the man, speaking to his audience without the need of a microphone.  “I am Governor Vreag.  I greet you in the name of our late-great Emperor, in whose memory you will train and fight.  You are here because you feel as I do, that the vision and will of one man saved this galaxy in the Clone Wars, and though Palpatine is gone, the memory of that vision lives on, and must continue to live.”

His dark eyes swept over the audience before he continued, and he seemed to linger on Umilis for a few tense moments before continuing on.  The VENI spy managed to maintain his composure, but he felt a surge of panic under the gaze of the Governor.

He spoke for a while, his words both inspirational and mesmerizing to all present.  Umilis was too dedicated to the Vast Empire to fall under Vreag’s spell, but he could understand others wanting to fight and die for such a leader.

Finally, the Governor finished.  “You, who will be the next generation of the Empire’s elite fighter pilots, are brave and strong, and the future of the New Order, the future of the galaxy, lies on your shoulders.  I wish you all the best of luck.  Thank you,” And so saying, Vreag exited to a round of very genuine and very enthusiastic applause.

Lieutenant Datheen returned and began barking orders again, ushering Umilis and the other cadets off to their barracks.  And the VENI spy’s new life as an Imperial fighter pilot began.

-----

Location Undisclosed

Seated at his desk in his bland office, Captain Grey was reading a report from Hutt Space when there came a knock at his door.

“Enter,” Said the Head of Naval Intelligence.

A human woman in a bland, unmarked uniform opened the door and strode inside.  Her long blonde hair was bundled up and secured at the back of her head, and her beautiful face had a harsh yet oddly emotionless expression.  She was his adjutant, Ensign Grey, and had served him faithfully since he had assumed his current position in VENI.

As such, she was one of the few people to be allowed to see his face.  For public appearance, Captain Grey always donned his ever-shifting hologram hood/mask.  But not here, not in the centre of his power.

“Sorry to disturb you sir,” Said the junior Grey.  “This has just arrived from New Gildris,” And so saying she handed him a datapad.

Grey accepted the pad and scanned down the details there.  “So, our boy is inside the Academy, excellent.  Oh, and what’s this?” He asked rhetorically, his eyes falling on a single line of text.  “The commencement address was given by Governor Vreag?”

“Yes, sir,” Said the Ensign.  “I thought that would interest you.”

The VENI Chief nodded.  “All the players are moving into place already,” He observed.  “How very interesting...”

OOC:

1147 words.

After Action Report:  Janos Umilis (‘Jagen Umquar) has arrived at the Imperial Academy of New Gildris, the premier training facility of the Lanoitis Sector.  There his has met his training officer, Lieutenant Datheen, and attended a speech by the formidable Governor Vreag.  Meanwhile, Captain Grey hears about the Governor’s presence and seems very interested.
Grey
ComNet Marshal

Grey

[VE-NAVY] Captain

Post Number:  232
August 29, 2012 10:16:36 AM    View the profile of Grey 
New Gildris System
Outer Asteroid Belt Training Run
Undercover Agent Janos Umilis, a.k.a Jagen Umquar
Forth Month of training with the New Gildris Naval Academy

Janos Umilis pulled hard on the control stick of his TIE Fighter, rolling the flimsy little starfighter and adjusting speed to match his current target.  Janos had always loved being a pilot, always loved the thrill of high speed dogfights, and never more than now.  In the constant stress of being undercover with the Imperial Remnant, space combat offered him rare chances to relax and be himself.

His foe, fellow cadet Sheor Valdain, executed his own desperate turn, trying to give Janos the slip.  The two had been chasing each other for fully three minutes, first one on the tail of the other, and then changing as each executed brilliant move after brilliant move to gain an advantage.  Now Valdain was the pursued, and was desperately trying to change that.

Janos, known to his fellow trainees as Jagen Umquar, was currently top of the class, and Sheor Valdain was his ever-persistent rival.  Already their one-on-one engagements had become infamous throughout the New Gildris Academy, and various instructors had tipped them both for sparkling careers in the Imperial Remnant’s Starfighter Corps.

Janos squeezed the trigger of his TIE’s joystick, and the modified weapons fired their harmless streams of light.  No-way near powerful enough to damage so much as a hair, the light did however transmit information that could be read by the training fighter of his foe.  Valdain’s computer could then calculate would-be damage, and shut down his TIE in defeat if need be.  It was a safe way to practice dogfighting, but while there was no physical danger involved, there was plenty at stake in terms of pride and prestige.

The beams missed their mark as Valdain evaded Janos yet again, twisting around by using a particularly tough combination of manoeuvring thrusters.  Janos cursed into his helmet, and continued the chase.

In and out they weaved a path, hurtling past another TIE Fighter lying dead in space.  The occupant of that ship, another cadet, had been taken out earlier in the free-for-all combat exercise.  Now he, and nine other members of the Alpha Squadron training group, had nothing to do but sit back and watch the two remaining pilots battle it out.

Janos fired again and again, but Valdain just kept slipping away.  Nearby the outermost asteroid belt of the New Gildris system loomed large, and while technically in the Academy’s designated combat zone, none of the cadets had yet been foolish enough to go in there.

Valdain altered course and plunged right in.

Janos cursed.  There was no way his rival was that desperate!  And yet... he was.  Valdain pulled tight around a nearby rock and vanished from sight.

With no choice but to pursue, the undercover spy for the Vast Empire angled his craft in after his foe.

Asteroids both large and small flew past, as Janos shot through the asteroid field at high speed.  One mistake, the slightest impact, and he knew that his TIE Fighter would not survive.  His rival, Valdain, had made this ‘safe’ training exercise anything but.

His scanner detected the signature of another ship, and he rushed towards it.  He knew that the other cadet would be lying in wait with some trick, but Janos had a few tricks of his own.  He took one hand off the control stick and laid it on the forward manoeuvring jets, ready for a surprise.

It was not long in coming.  Valdain’s TIE emerged at high speed from the shadow of a nearby rock and dived right at him from above.  Before the other trainee could get a shot off, however, Janos fired up the forward jets, bringing his TIE to a gut-wrenching stop, causing his rival to overshoot and miss.  The spy then throttled up hard, twisting his TIE as the other flew past, and was once more on Valdain’s tail.

Janos smiled as he saw the erratic efforts of his target, swerving from side to side in an effort to shake him.  He knew that Valdain was getting tired, that he was frustrated from being the hunted instead of the hunter, and that it was only a matter of time before he made a mistake.

The other pilot laid on the speed, opening up a gap between them as he rushed towards another large asteroid, angling in to slip behind it out of sight.  Janos watched him go and decided to give Valdain the space he needed, anticipating what was about to happen.

Pilots often tried to dive behind large objects to escape pursuit.  Scanners could track the other ship unseen, of course, but without a visual reference it was hard to tell if the other ship was angling for a course change.  They could then emerge from behind the object on a different heading, and thus either shake a pursuer or come about to attack.

And now Valdain was about the try that rather old trick with this asteroid.

Janos let him vanish out of sight, then made a course correction of his own.  He knew that the other cadet was getting stressed, frustrated, and that he would choose to instantly come around and attack.  Janos was ready to pre-empt him.  Pulling in close to the asteroid, he cut main engines and guided his TIE in close to the rock, then rotated to face back the way he came.

A moment later, Valdain’s TIE came hurtling out from behind the asteroid, hunting for his former pursuer.

The other cadet did not even seem to notice Janos’s TIE, as it flew overhead, not bothering to check close to the asteroid itself.

Janos smiled, watched the other pass in front of his targeting reticule, and fired...

-----

New Gildris System
Outer Asteroid Belt
The Imperial Remnant Training Ship Fallen Heart

Janos Umilis pulled himself awkwardly out of the cramped cockpit of his TIE Fighter, and descended the nearby ladder to the deck below.  The rest of the cadets from the day’s training exercise, all still in their jet-black flight gear, were there to congratulate him on his victory.

Deep down he still felt wary of them, for they were all Imperials and his enemies, but he was a pilot first and foremost, and was able to take genuine pleasure in being praised for doing what he loved to do best.

“Nice one, Jagen!” Came the cries, as the others used his undercover name.

“Excellent flying!”

“Man, you are talented!”

Janos bore it all with humility, accepting their kind words and returning a few of his own.  In the four months of his undercover mission so far, he had not really tried to make any friends among these people that he may one day have to kill in battle.  However, success bred popularity, and his skill with a TIE had earned him the appreciation of his fellows.

With one exception.

Sour-faced Sheor Valdain came storming across the hangar bay, his beady eyes blazing with anger.  “What in the Emperor’s name was that, Umquar?”  He demanded.

The other cadets fell silent and gave the two top trainees some space as they stood face to face.  “What do you mean, Valdain?” Replied Janos carefully.

“You know exactly what I mean!” Spat the other.  “Lying in wait to ambush me like that was nothing but despicable Rebel tactics and you know it!  This was supposed to be a dogfighting exercise!”

Janos glared back at the other man.  The other cadets were a little afraid of Valdain, but Janos had seen plenty of his sort before, all hot air and no substance.  Casually he replied, “In a dogfight you do whatever is required to win, Valdain.  If this were real, I would be alive, you would be dead, and then how would you do your complaining?”

Valdain’s face turned red and he looked like he was about to explode when another voice cut in.

“Well said!” Training officer Lieutenant Datheen declared with obvious approval.  “Valdain, quit your whining!  As for you, Umquar, that was some fine flying.  You are just the sort of man we need in the Empire.”

“Thank you, sir,” Managed Janos by way of reply, fighting down the urge to decry the Empire for the racist mass-murdering regime that it was.

“Okay everyone,” Continued Datheen.  “We debrief in one hour, and will be going over flight recordings of today’s exercise.  Change out of your flight gear, get a shower, and meet me in the conference room.  Dismissed!”

As the pilots filed out of the hangar, Sheor Valdain cast a venomous looked at his rival for the Academy’s top spot, a spot that was fast slipping away from him.

Valdain felt nothing but hatred for this upstart, Jagen Umquar, and vowed to somehow bring the man down.

Everyone has a weakness, thought Valdain.  Everyone has a dark and embarrassing secret or flaw.  Somehow, he would find Umquar’s, and use it to destroy him!

-----

Location Undisclosed

Blonde haired Ensign Grey let herself into Captain Grey’s office, where her superior in Vast Empire Naval Intelligence was sat going through files on his computer.  Today he was wearing his static hood, which he often did not wear in the safety of this, the heart of his domain.  Clearly the Head of VENI was about to make a holocall to someone not cleared to see his actual face.

“Sorry to interrupt, sir,” Said the Ensign.  “We have another report from New Gildris.”

“Ah, right on schedule,” Came the synthetically altered voice from behind the mask.  “I shall read it immediately.”

She handed over the datapad, and though Ensign Grey could not see his eyes, she imagined them to be narrowed in concentration.  Eventually the VENI Chief put down the pad and sat back in his simple yet comfortable chair.

“Seems like Umilis is doing a fine job,” Said Captain Grey with obvious satisfaction.  “I only needed him to finish in the top three of his class, but it looks like he’s going to be number one.”

“Could that be a problem?” Asked the Ensign, her analytical mind at work.  “Clearly his years as VE pilot have given him an advantage over the other cadets, but if he stands out too much then surely Imperial Intelligence will get suspicious and probe into his past more deeply.”

Grey shook his concealed head, the constantly shifting static upon it dancing.  “Unlikely.  The Imperial Remnant needs all the elite pilots it can get, and are unlikely to look a gift horse in the mouth.  Besides, Imperial Intelligence are far too busy nowadays to deal with Academy background checks.”

“Very well, sir,” Replied the Ensign, not exactly convinced but not pressing the matter.

“Still, we must remain careful,” Continued Captain Grey.  “It is time that we sent someone to make contact with Mr Umilis and give him his actual mission.  Whoever it is must get into New Gildris, meet Umilis, and then get out, without attracting the attention of the local authorities.”

“I shall start selecting an Agent immediately, sir,” Said the junior Grey.

The VENI Chief nodded.  “Proceed, Ensign.  Let the game begin...

OOC:

1863 words.

After Action Report:  After months of training at the New Gildris Naval Academy, Janos Umilis (‘Jagen Umquar’) is proving to be the top cadet.  This infuriates the number two trainee, Sheor Valdain, who has quietly vowed to bring Umilis/Umquar down.  Meanwhile, Captain Grey is monitoring the situation, and is pleased that his spy has been doing so well.  Grey is now sending an Agent to make contact with the undercover operative and give Umilis details of the next stage of his mission.
DeepSix
ComNet Member

DeepSix

[VE-DJO] Journeyman
[VE-ICS] Pirate Swabbie
[VE-NAVY] Ensign

Post Number:  570
Total Posts:  973
September 30, 2012 11:58:59 AM    View the profile of DeepSix 
Intelligence agencies - always shrouded in secrecy, always feared, always hated and always distrusted in about equal measures. The VE's branch was no exception to that rule. A fairly small bunch of skilled individuals united for but a single goal: to serve the Vast Empire's interests from the shadows using any and all means available. In other words doing the things nobody else wanted to, the things nobody else could openly take responsibility for, the things that nevertheless had to be done - all for the greater good of course.

Some of the members actually believed that and were for the most part driven by a strong sense of duty, loyalty and patriotism. Some of the other members however were driven by far less pure motivations: ambition, pride and thrill seeking to name but a few of them. A certain blond Wing Commander was amongst those that could safely be labeled as being part of the latter category, though the man's exact motivations could merely be speculated upon by others.

Just what was it that drove that person forward? At a first glance, the few background checks that could be verified seemed to indicate a desire to get away, to escape, to seek refuge... Those though were the characteristics usually found in either cowards or cautious individuals - both of them traits that the Wing Commander did not really seem to posses given his tactics and strategies demonstrated throughout his career.

Rank, position and military protocol in general also appeared to be meaningless as far as the blond Human male was concerned. This was especially apparent if his service record was to be consulted - dozens of memos and even a few letters of reprimand too, most issued for bar brawls, disobeying direct orders, behavior not befitting an officer, ignoring and violating the rights of surrendered enemy combatants... oh and also a lone misappropriation incident involving a commanding officer's personal starfighter (go figure!).

Ambition could thus also be taken off the list of possible motivations. In fact most probable reasons could be considered and almost just as rapidly disconsidered after analyzing either the individual's personality, his shady past or his tumultuous career. What then was the thing that drove that person forward - the blonde woman with piercing blue eyes asked herself once more as she continued to watch the half naked man seated across the room at a small table and going over some holodisks.

~~~~~~~~~~

Seth Qorbin could feel the woman's gaze upon him. Even without looking himself, he could just tell that his every action was being watched and quite possibly dissected for any potentially hidden meanings. He just knew as much. The woman mirroring his own state of undress likely also knew that he knew. And of course Seth knew that she knew that he knew - it was all rather complicated that way...

Then again so very few things within VENI were ever truly simple. More often than not even the most innocent of appearances betrayed ugly truths concealed deep within them. It was to be expected when dealing with foreign powers, but things were hardly any different even within the Vast Empire.

"Risks of the trade", Qorbin sometimes joked. If operatives weren't already paranoid and generally disillusioned with the harsh reality surrounding them then that was definitely the fate awaiting them after a handful of VENI missions. The ones that would survive long enough were next bound to either be silenced for uncovering some secret they were not meant to, go crazy after finally seeing too much deception, betrayal and death... or just become cold, calculated machines in the process.

The blonde woman still sprawled on the messy bed was definitely part of the latter category. She may not yet have surpassed a droid's lack of emotions but by the looks of things that was the direction she was headed towards. It was a rather sad realization from a certain point of view - not that Javelin's WC particularly cared one way or the other. After all that was not the sort of relationship the two of them had going to begin with...

No, the two of them first met a short while after the Lasoris Minor incident. Together with another junior agent and a freelance contractor, the four of them managed to land on Arkania, infiltrate a certain biolab, retrieve the secured data they stored on the premisses and subsequently blow the hole thing up sky high.

Even now Seth could still recall the strange mask of the man that debriefed them afterward as well as the person's totally unofficial offer - that of joining the Naval Intelligence. In exchange for a little help dealing with certain "delicate matters", as the masked man put it, Qorbin would receive another salary as well as access to certain databases not normally used or even known by the regular military. The extra credits were sort of nice but the Onderonian male knew that the true prize was the knowledge promised to him in the process. That was the sort of thing he always had a certain interest in after all...

Needless to say Seth Qorbin accepted the offer and thus became an agent for VENI. In other words a no good, double crossing spook that thanks to his unofficial status pretty much managed to maintain his normal position within the Navy. The following four missions he was not officially sent on by the VE all went smoothly and as a consequence of that the man ended up catching a certain handler's attention.

The blue eyed, blonde haired Human female he had gone to Arkania with eventually sought him out, reintroduced herself simply as Ensign Grey and ended up working with him on a couple more missions as his permanent handler. It was during the first of these missions that the two of them had to fake a different sort of relationship than the one they were actually having - a task that proved both simple and rather enjoyable by both of them.

Even after that mission was over, the two VENI operatives continued to occasionally get together and relive the experience. They never really talked about it, but there was never any need to in the first place. Both of them just knew better than to read too much into it or get any dreams or expectations because of it. No, to them the intimacy thus shared was closer to exercising and letting off steam - the two latter tasks required by an operative in order to stay in shape, both physical and mental as well.

"New Gildris, huh?" Seth spoke aloud after turning off and putting away the holodisks he had finished going over. The mission looked simple enough - get in, find the target, brief the target, do a little errand and finally get out before anyone figures out what's happened. Given the mission parameters this was also going to be a solo mission - something that Qorbin did not particularly dislike...

OOC:
WC: 1168
AAR: First part - acquiring the mission.

WC/ESN DeepSix/A-1/S:412th Razor/W:58th Javelin/ISD-II Halcyon Warrior/TF:B/1Flt/SFC/VEN/VE [=*TG*=] [=*VIM*=]

TRN/JRN DeepSix/DJO/Training Sect/VEDJ
DeepSix
ComNet Member

DeepSix

[VE-DJO] Journeyman
[VE-ICS] Pirate Swabbie
[VE-NAVY] Ensign

Post Number:  571
September 30, 2012 11:59:15 AM    View the profile of DeepSix 
"You are cleared to land, Rust Bucket", the voice announced after a lengthy enough period of time no doubt used for transponder codes verification and likely cargo scanning as well. The small freighter's sole pilot (and captain) couldn't help but smile. It wasn't because of the clearance - the man knew that both the cargo manifest as well as the ship's codes would check out, as both were initially prepared by undercover VE agents for precisely this task. No, the blond pilot was smiling because of the subtle hint of amusement he managed to detect from the operator on the other side of the comm system. Granted it was theoretically possible for the other fellow to have simply been in high spirits at the moment - perhaps someone else just told him a good joke, or maybe offered him a promotion, or even all of the above plus a sizable raise to his paycheck too... but all that was still rather unlikely.

Nah, chances were the man was just laughing at the freighter captain's choice of names. It sort of suits her though, the blond pilot sighed pitifully after realizing that unfortunate fact was alas true enough. Big, bulky, slow, under armed, with nowhere near enough power to make the best use of the currently installed shields. About the only good thing about the ship was its brown-reddish hued hull, with the occasional black scorch mark here and there - why, one could tell just by looking that the ship could take a lot of punishment before giving up. That feat alone demanded at least some small amount of respect...

Oh, just realized another good thing about her - chances of 'er getting stolen are slim to none, the freighter's temporary captain grinned even wider as he maneuvered the sluggish ship through the planet's atmosphere and towards the designated docking pad. Once close enough he turned off the ion engines and switched to repulsor engines instead. The ship instantly began shaking and making strange noises, as if announcing that its every nook and cranny was about to give way and turn the whole thing into one huge pile of metallic rubble.

Thankfully that turned out not to be the case, the Bucket instead managing to make a proper landing. Managing to also raise a huge amount of dust as well. I better wait a little longer while that settles back down, the pilot decided as he proceeded to shut off the remaining ship systems. Five minutes later the freighter's landing hatch screeched open and the sole member of the crew stepped out and moved towards the trio of uniformed men that waited just a short distance in front of him.

"Howdy!" the man casually greeted the welcoming committee. He next spent about half an hour answering questions and undergoing various other verifications - both involving his own person as well as the ship he piloted in. In the end though the blond Human received a valid pass, allowing him access outside the spaceport and into the city of Ilcreda - the current capital of New Gildris. Wish they also gave me some meds for my headache. Typical Imperial BS - first they talk your ear off, next they ignore both you and the headaches they've caused you. Rotten bastards!

~~~~~~~~~~

"More wine!" the blond Human male demanded in a merry tone, a loud echo of cheers following that very demand. The other three traders at the table, all of them Human of course, raised their half empty glasses and continued to cheer for the man that had been providing them with liquor all night long. The fellow in question introduced himself as Godric Kane two days prior and started making small talk at the bar. The more they got to know each other the friendlier the man became, going so far as to treat everyone else to not-too-cheap-but-not-too-expensive alcohol. Tonight was no different and everyone at the table was in a good mood because of it. That is they were in a good mood until the cantina's doors swished open and through them came a small group of uniformed individuals.

A few moments of tension filled silence followed before everyone started speaking again - less loudly than before and not necessarily regarding the same topics as before either. "Who're they? They look different than the Sec types usually roaming the streets", the man calling himself Godric asked after gulping down another glass of wine. "They're not security forces, they're from the Academy outside town. They're fighter jocks", one of the traders murmured as he looked in the uniformed group's direction.

"Damn good fellows too I hear", one of the other merchants chirped in "Why, I have a cousin that passed the tests and got himself admitted in the Academy. He couldn't be specific but told me that the Empire was in damn good hands given what he'd seen accomplished there. I got him plastered last time he was on leave and he slipped up that the Academy was basically a well oiled factory producing hordes of small angels of death. There are the two deadliest right in front of us - Umquar, the tall fellow near the redhead and Valdain, the fellow seated across from him. My cousin says that if we had more of them, the New Republic's days would be numbered."

"Another round to see that happen!" Godric Kane announced out loud as he smiled broadly, from ear to ear. In truth the man couldn't care less about the Republic's hoped for demise nor for the fallen Empire taking over control once more. As far as he was concerned there were no perfect governments, nor would a complete lack of said governments be any better either. The only choice thus left to someone seeking true freedom lied in the vast space surrounding them. No individual, no group, no country, no planet, no race and no empire would ever be able to take full control of the stars themselves - that was the truth right there.

Then again it was a truth that not many could see, least of all accept. Most living spacers did what they did because it paid off bills or skipped that entirely and simply got them wealthier as a result. And if material gain wasn't the main reason then duty and group cohesion were definitely the secondary ones. The official navies, the unofficial paramilitary organizations - that one could never be too sure what sides they'd take in a conflict - as well as the slew of pirates were examples best portraying this fact.

Be that as it may, the captain of the Rusty Bucket couldn't help not noticing the enthusiastic looks shared by most of the members of the small uniformed group seated a couple of tables in front of him. He could tell they were eager and willing to prove themselves. He could also see a certain familiar fire burning in their eyes, a fire born of competitive natures and fueled by strong rivalries. A fire that should it be properly nourished by the Academy's trainers could end up burning through many enemies before finally dying out.

Reminds me of the good old days, the blond Human thought to himself as he awaited the next round of alcohol.

~~~~~~~~~~

Three and a half hours went by rather quickly and throughout that time the small group of traders continued having a good time, drinking and talking about various things and even business at one point. Finally, the blond Human thought as he noticed a certain cadet get up from the table and making his way to the restroom in the back. As if on cue Godric finished his current glass and unsteadily got to his feet. "If y'all excuse me gen... gentlemen. Please order another round on my behalf while I answer nature's call."

So excusing himself, the man slowly swayed towards the restroom, almost bumping into another customer as he went. Once inside however, the man's amber eyes rapidly scanned the room and checked for any other people aside from the one he already knew would be there. The small room seemed to be empty though aside from them two. It also seemed to be rather slimy and not at all appealing...

Regardless of the sanitary issues however, the blond Human made his way to one of the urinals, surprisingly in a perfect line, not once hesitating or swaying as he stepped forward. The man reached his target, moved his hand as if to unzip his male appendage and casually began speaking in a clear tone, no longer slurring as he did all this "A message from Grey: it's time to do your duty, mister Umilis." The other man froze upon hearing that simple phrase. Of course the freezing only lasted for a few moments, magically being dispelled by the awkward sound of a trickle of liquid hitting the urinal.

Well, here's one briefing he'll likely never forget, the man posing as Godric Kane smiled as he turned to face the flustered undercover agent. The two men stared at each other in silence for a few moments more after that until the silence was finally broken once more, again by the blond fellow "You can put that away if you're done..." Yup, definitely never going to forget this anytime soon...

"You're... from the VE?" Janos asked timidly, knowing that if that wasn't the case his previous behavior had already blown his cover anyway. "That's one possibility, yes. Another would be that I'm a psychic that enjoys harassing other people in public restrooms. Anyway, raise your hand", the blond Human commanded in a firm voice and the other man instinctively obeyed. A tiny datacrystal was next dropped in the undercover agent's palm. "The details of your true mission. Read them when you're alone. Now get out and pretend this never happened. Oh and wash your hands first..."

Having said that, Godric Kane turned away from the man, again reached his hand towards his lower body and Janos was this time able to see the blond man actually touching his belt rather than the zipper a couple of inches below. That sort of made him feel better somehow. It was still strange and rather awkward but somewhat less so than he originally believed. Should I tell him that's a short range jamming device? the VENI messenger wondered for a moment. Nah, it'll likely be better not to...

Ignoring the undercover agent, Godric opened the door and swayed back into the cantina, headed straight for his previous seat. He figured he'd stay with the other traders another hour or so before feigning tiredness and retiring to rest. There was little point in dragging this charade any further, especially considering the fact that he couldn't even get drunk for real thanks to a drug he had taken a few hours earlier.

The truth was that the mysterious blond fellow had always intended to get in touch with his target from the start. He tried it the day before using a local prostitute as bait but that didn't work unfortunately. Should he have failed to deliver his message today as well then the man would've disguised himself as a local and would've tried bumping - literally so - into his target and then passing along a small envelope containing both the holocrystal as well as a written letter explaining a few other things. If that also failed then VENI had a contingency plan as well, one involving the messenger to infiltrate the Academy as a tech and directly or indirectly passing along the message then. Good thing the latter wasn't necessary, as that sure sounded like a whole lot of trouble as far as the blond man was concerned.

OOC:
WC: 1962
AAR: Second part - delivering the briefing.

WC/ESN DeepSix/A-1/S:412th Razor/W:58th Javelin/ISD-II Halcyon Warrior/TF:B/1Flt/SFC/VEN/VE [=*TG*=] [=*VIM*=]

DeepSix
ComNet Member

DeepSix

[VE-DJO] Journeyman
[VE-ICS] Pirate Swabbie
[VE-NAVY] Ensign

Post Number:  587
December 2, 2012 9:57:22 AM    View the profile of DeepSix 
Despite being undercover for a fairly long time now, Janos Umilis still wasn't fully prepared for the unorthodox meeting he had with another member of the Vast Empire. The man figured that Captain Grey had other assets scattered throughout the system, the planet and perhaps even within the Academy itself but he was never contacted by any of them. At times he thought that other pilots gave him strange looks, that some janitors acted too nervous around him, that some mechanics seemed to do a lot of whispering whilst looking his way. Even some of the instructors seemed to favor him over the other cadets, though Umilis had no way of knowing for a fact whether this was because of his skills or maybe because those individuals had ulterior motives of their own...

As time passed though, the man learned to live with this uncertainty - this never dissipating sense of paranoia that was always present in the back of his mind. He knew that acting on his instincts could prove a fatal mistake, regardless of whether he may have been right or not. That was perhaps the hardest thing to endure while pretending to be someone else. Well, that and having to smile to the enemy each day, knowing damn well that every word spoken was in all likelihood a lie meant to deceive them... and to a lesser extent perhaps even himself.

Waiting around and pretending to be someone else was no doubt difficult, yet Umilis was surprised to find out that it was almost as difficult to contain his excitement when finally being approached by an ally - a true ally. He was almost unable to conceal his smile when he left the small restroom and rejoined his colleagues. Almost... It only took him a single glance around the room to spot the blond fellow that gave him the small datacrystal he now kept secured in his pocket. The other fellow looked as drunk and harmless as before, giving off no indication of the truth that laid beneath the treacherous appearances.

Janos too decided to play it cool - as much as he was able to - and just continue enjoying his night out. His group left for the Academy sometime before dawn and throughout that time Umilis kept wondering just what information was stored on the small datacrystal. Even though his head was fairly clouded by the alcohol, the man retained enough composure not to immediately lock the door behind him and pull out his portable data terminal.

No, the former VE pilot chose to instead hit the showers in order to clear his mind. Whether it was because of his general sense of paranoia or because he still wasn't thinking a hundred percent clearly, Umilis ended up showering with the datacrystal clenched tightly in his fist - not once letting go of it, fearing that doing so could very well have meant failure or even demise...

Once he returned to his quarters the man proceeded to lock the door behind him and hop inside his almost comfortable bed. He picked up the portable terminal with him and hid beneath the covers even though the room temperature was otherwise quite pleasant already. Only then did he loosen his grip of the crystal and placed the small item inside the terminal's designated slot. For a moment nothing happened until finally a strange prompt opened on the display - Please stand by...

Umilis was a regular flyboy before having met Grey and didn't know a whole lot about computers, much less about slicing procedures and the like. The man as such watched indifferently as messages mentioning "inspecting", "cloning", "logging off" and "enforcing secure mode" kept appearing and disappearing in short succession. Thirty seconds later however the prompt disappeared. The entire display disappeared for that matter, being replaced by a new one instead. It was a simple black with silvery buttons scattered throughout.

Janos pushed the upper left one first and after waiting for a couple of seconds for the content to load, the screen once more darkened and then revealed a dossier on the man that he instantly recognized as Governor Vreag. The latter's picture as well as full body holographic representation looked as calm, imposing and intimidating as the time that the politician came to deliver that Academy speech in person. There was a lot of intel on the man - full name, age, birth location, parents, schools, important contacts, philosophy as well as what appeared to be an analysis of the man's ideology, verbal and non-verbal tells allowing the reader to get a better understanding of the man - whether he was lying, or he was enjoying himself or he was just stalling for time...

Umilis read some of it and was downright surprised to find out so much intel on the man in question. Granted he had no way of knowing for a fact whether all of it was accurate or not, but even if small mistakes were to have been included in the report - the amount of time it would've taken someone to find out, gather and next put all that information together... Janos' admiration for VENI increased by quite a bit thanks to all that.

After reading a bit about the man who was clearly his target, Umilis decided to also check out the other sections of the disk. Almost all of them were past events in which the good Governor was somehow involved in. Some were public, that even the undercover agent had heard about - mostly things that Vreag had done and that had earned him a great deal of influence and approval from those running the Remnant. Some of these feats were political but others were military as well, showing that the Governor was not just one more power hungry, incompetent leader that would've easily compromised if it meant increasing his own social or political standing...

Other files though revealed Vreag's intentions in regards to different factions, including the New Republic, the Chiss, the Hutts and of course the smaller Imperial groups that splintered off as well. Umilis was not surprised to find the Vast Empire amongst them. It only took the former VE pilot a few minutes of reading to figure out just why Captain Grey was wanting the man out of the picture... At each and every turn during his political career, Vreag spoke against the other Imperial factions, stating that the Remnant alone was the true heir of the mighty Empire and that it was thus the might Remnant's duty to bring back in its midst all those that have lost their way. Those that would come quietly would be forgiven and allowed small positions within the new government, those that thought otherwise would on the contrary be caught, trialed and promptly executed to serve as examples. "The Empire will be great once more" - was a quote Umilis found in three different speeches that the Governor gave throughout his career.

There were also a few other files grouped together that upon inspecting revealed bribe and blackmail attempts, public scandals and even a thwarted hostage situation involving the Governor's closest kin. These were events that Janos heard nothing about, yet by reading about them, in particular their endings, the man couldn't stop wondering just how would VENI have learned about all of them if not by being at least partially responsible for some of them in the first place?

That wasn't the only thing that struck Umilis as odd though. No, the fact that Vreag managed to come out of each and every single one of those incidents unscathed and in two occurrences even looking better than before... why the Vast Empire agent couldn't stop but also wonder just how strong of an opponent was this? Moreover... how much stronger would he yet grow in the future? It was upon asking this particular question that Janos believed for the first time that he may have actually glimpsed into the mind of Captain Grey. After all what if beyond all the circling patterns of his mask, the one hiding underneath considered the same thing?

The final file on the datacrystal was set aside in the bottom right corner of the screen, as if purposefully set aside for the closing. Within it were dates, locations and three names that Umilis did not immediately connect with the rest of the documents. It was only after taking the time to actually read through this last part that he understood that which he was supposed to do.

The reason he was picked for the job in the first place? He was a pilot and VENI needed a pilot to infiltrate the Academy in order to subsequently be transferred over to the Citadel. But since only the top three cadets were ever granted that privilege VENI needed a decent enough pilot for the job.

The reason he was to infiltrate the Citadel? It was apparently the one place where striking against Governor Vreag was both easier... and most importantly was also the perfect place to deliver a message to all that opposed the Vast Empire in general, and the Remnant in particular. The message itself may be sent anonymously granted, but its effect would be just as powerful regardless.

The last part of the file in question explained how Umilis was expected to get the job done, and also emphasized the need to remember the three names listed there, as each name represented either a contact, a location or a ship that was supposed to return him to Vast Empire space once the job was finished. The plan certainly looked doable, yet part of Janos couldn't stop but wonder whether everything would really go as smoothly as planned by Captain Grey and his other color hating minions.

The VE agent went through all the information one more time before realizing it was almost morning and drills were about to start soon. He hit exit and upon doing so another prompt appeared on the screen Are you sure?. Beneath were two options: Yes and of course No. Janos picked the former and almost immediately upon doing so the datacrystal shorted out, startling the pilot in the process. He tried to take it out and keep it safe but realized as soon as it was back in the palm of his hand that it was entirely useless, now burnt and chipped beyond recognition.

At first the man wondered whether he broke it, but soon enough considered the possibility of that having been the crystal's fate from the start - created to hold a certain amount of information, allowed to access that information and upon completion... a quite thorough deletion so as to ensure the intel would never be accessible again.

At least now I know what I have to do, the man thought to himself as he threw aside the blanked he was hiding underneath and got out of bed. A new day of lying and pretending was ahead of him but at least now he drew comfort in the fact that he knew all this was about to end eventually. Yes, comfort and hope...

OOC:
WC: 1861
AAR: Third part - understanding the mission

WC/ESN DeepSix/Golden One/S:38th Vornskr/W:101st Blade/ISD-II Adjudicator/TF:A/2Flt/SC/VEN/VE [=*TG*=] [=*VIM*=]

[This message has been edited by DeepSix (edited December 3, 2012 3:05:07 AM)]
Grey
ComNet Marshal

Grey

[VE-NAVY] Captain

Post Number:  380
February 4, 2013 9:46:05 AM    View the profile of Grey 
New Gildris Naval Academy
New Gildris, capital city Ilcreda
Imperial Remnant

Was it this difficult the first time around?  Janos Umilis was not sure.  Months of testing and classes and stress at the Imperial Naval Academy on New Gildris had been gruelling, both more and less so than his time at the Vast Empire Naval Academy.  Easier, in that he already knew how to fly this time around, and harder in that he had to stomach the hate-filled rhetoric of the Imperial Remnant.

And then there was the competition.  Imperials were cut-throat and jealous by nature, and his fellow cadets no less so.  Sheor Valdain, ranked number two in their class, had pursued Umilis both in and out of the simulators.  Though the inferior pilot, Valdain was the superior socialite, and enjoyed a great deal of popularity among the other cadets.  That one had a vicious streak that Umilis just could not match, and even in his undercover persona of ‘Jagen Umquar’ he could not bring himself to say and do the truly despicable things that Imperials seemed to thrive on and approve of.

Even now, as Janos stood at the front of the rank after rank of Imperial cadets, he could feel the hatred of Valdain standing beside him.  The cadets – soon to be graduates – were standing in order of seniority.  Umilis, as top of his class, was nearest the central aisle than ran between to the rows of Imperials, and would be the first to be called to the stage at the conclusion of the graduation ceremony.

The ceremony had been going on for over an hour, and Umilis despised every moment of it.  The grand hall of the Academy was decked out in banners representing key worlds of the Empire, and a massive Imperial logo loomed large over the gold-decorated lectern that dominated the central stage.  Propaganda-leaden speeches had been interspersed with music from a thirty-piece orchestra, and Janos had suppressed his distaste at such infamous compositions as “The Emperor’s Glorious Sacrifice” and “The Treason of Alderaan.”

Now, finally, the ridiculous charade was coming to an end.

As the Commandant of the Academy stepped aside, he was replaced by the keynote speaker of the graduation.  As it was during the opening ceremony all those months ago, Janos saw Governor Vreag take the stage.

The man he was assigned to kill.

Part of Janos Umilis just wanted it over and done with.  Part of him wished he were armed, that he could just march up there, pull his sidearm, and shoot the over-achieving Imperial leader in the head and be done with it.  But no.  Though his mission would be completed, Janos would have no chance of escaping the planet alive.  He had to follow through with the plan that Captain Grey had laid out for him.

Vreag’s speech was, Janos had to admit, compelling.  With the skilled oratory that had made him so respected to his own side and dangerous to all others, the Governor spoke of order and loyalty, duty and respect.  Admirable traits, ones that Umilis himself lived for, and for just a moment he closed his eyes and allowed himself believe that this room full of people were as honest and true as he was.

And then he opened his eyes, saw the Imperial logo, and remembered that everyone here was his enemy.

When at last the Governor finished speaking he turned to look down at the front row of cadets.  These were the elite, the best among the graduating class, and he called them up.  From the far right they filtered out and towards the steps to the stage, with Janos going first, the most prestigious spot.  A half step behind him stalked Valdain, silently seething, his finest moment tainted and ruined by being second best.

Umilis walked towards the podium, the eyes of the entire hall upon him.  Stepping to the side of Governor Vreag, he stopped and saluted smartly.

The ruler of New Gildris returned the salute and then spoke clearly into the nearby microphone.

“As you know,” Said Vreag, “The top three cadets are automatically assigned to the 323rd Fighter Wing, under my direct command at the Citadel.  Of these three, Cadet Jagen Umquar is the finest!”  He turned to Umilis, his dark eyes sparkling.  “A pleasure to make your acquaintance, Mr Umquar,” He said, and held out a hand.

Janos stared back, fighting back the loathing and contempt he had for the man in front of him.  After a long pause, he took the offered hand and shook.  “It’s an honor, Governor,” He said.

Vreag smiled, but there was no warmth in his eyes.  Breaking the handshake he lifted a small box from the podium and handed it to Umilis.  The undercover VENI agent took it and opened it, revealing a Star of the Academy decoration within.

The audience broke into applause, while Janos forced himself to look proud.

-----

Three names.  That was all Umilis had.  The data packet that he received from VENI had contained three names with which to plan his escape.  As he sat in his quarters at the Academy (his last night before being transferred to the Citadel) he thought on those names.

The first was the name of a ship.  It was called the Blockhopper, and on a recent night out with some of the other cadets he had passed Ilcreda’s starport and made casual enquiries.  The Blockhopper was a simple commercial transport that often ran between the Imperial Remnant and neutral space.  Janos figured that to be his ride off world (though how he got from neutral space back to the VE was another matter entirely).

The other two names on the list threw him though.  One of was a place, namely Il-Raz Square, a large market area that at night (when he was to conduct his assassination) would be utterly deserted.  Worse, it was pretty far from the starport, and getting from there to the Blockhopper did not sound easy.

The final name was that of a person who was clearly meant to be a contact that would assist him further.  Alas, the data packet gave no details on what and where this man was.  All Umilis had was the name, Travis Sande.

Tonight was the night that Janos resolved to find this Travis Sande.  All the other graduates from earlier would be out celebrating, and another newly-minted member of the Imperial Navy headed out of the Academy to hit the local bars would not be looked on oddly.  Whispering the contact’s name to himself to ensure that he did not forget it, Umilis departed the barracks and took one of the shuttle buses into town.

The hover bus was full of Imperial personnel headed for a night out, and they were as rowdy and crude off-duty as they were ruthless and cold on-duty.  Janos endured their bawdy songs and comments about Ilcreda City’s women, smiling at the bad jokes and offering a few laughs, but otherwise he kept to himself.

After twenty torturous minutes, the bus completed its journey down from the rocky plateau overlooking the city and entered the outskirts of New Gildris’s capital.  The bus made a couple stops at popular clubs and bars, and Umilis politely declined the offers of those getting off to come with them.  A few were confused by his refusals, until one cadet suggested that, “I’ll bet Umquar has some hot Zeltron girlfriend he’s not told us about!” And when Janos did not deny it, they cheered loudly and left him be.

The third stop was where Janos disembarked.  Over the last few months he had come to know Ilcreda well, and knew that stop to be just ten minutes walk from Il-Raz Square.  As he approached it, trying to keep the darker shadows thrown up by the city at night, he glanced around and tried to spot anything of significance.

The Square was an intersection of six streets that connected with a circular road running around the outside of a giant open plaza.  The similarity of the road layout to the Imperial Crest was not lost on Umilis, and nor did he fail to recognise the statue of Grand Admiral Ishin Il-Raz in the centre of the Square.  During the day it would have been a centre of activity, both street vendors and even tourists, but at night was dead.

Confused, still not knowing what he was supposed to do here, Janos walked across the circular road and onto the plaza itself.  He took a wander, looking at the nearby buildings and even studying the statue up close, trying to get an idea of what use this place had in VENI’s escape plan.

Suddenly the sound of a hover car startled him, and he turned to see a bright orange taxi enter the Square.  Umilis turned to regard it, as it drove around the ring road and came nearer to him.  Close by it came to a stop.

“I’m sorry, I’m not looking for a ride,” He said quickly.

A window lowered and the driver, his face hidden by the shadows, said, “Get in.”

“I said I don’t need a...” Began Janos, but the man interrupted him.

“Get.  In.”  Said the other firmly.

Curious, and also more than a little nervous, Umilis walked to the vehicle and got inside the passenger section.  Once within he slammed the door shut behind him and the speeder moved at once.

“Hey!  Where are we going?” He demanded.

“Relax, kid, it’s just a drive around the block,” Said the driver, not looking over his shoulder and thus keeping his face hidden.  Janos guessed that the man was human, but beyond that could make out little in the front of the taxi.  “I’m Travis Sande, by the way.”

“You?  You mean you are my contact?”

“Hey, not so loud!” The other shushed him firmly.  “But yeah, yeah I am.  I need to ditch you quickly, don’t want anyone seeing you inside my cab before the big day.”

Umilis knew what event he was referring to by ‘the big day’ so kept quiet and let the other continue.

“You do the deed, nice and straight.  Get the Governor in his quarters, make like you are delivering a message or something, and kill him with a single shot.  He often has guards, so be creative in getting around them.  Or just shoot them too, whichever works for you.”

Janos nodded, he knew this part and had mentally prepared for it.  He was not as good with a blaster as he was with a TIE throttle, but he should be able to kill a man at point blank range.

“Then you leave,” Continued Sande.  “Walk, don’t run, straight out of the Citadel.  Take one of the official speeders and drive into the city as casually as you can.  The Imps won’t react quickly, and besides, you are meant to be there, no one will stop you.”

“And I drive to here?” Asked Umilis.

“Exactly,” Said the VENI contact.  “On that night, three evenings from now, there is going to be a big event in this plaza.  And I mean big!  A huge outdoor celebration that will pull in tens of thousands of people.  You’ll ditch the car and get lost in the crowd.  There will be plenty of taxis here, dropping off and picking up revellers, and I’m going to be one of them.  Find me and hop in.  While I drive you to the spaceport, you will make use of a bag of goodies I will have prepared for you.  New clothes, new ID, the works.  No need to pack anything before you leave the Citadel, you got it?”

Janos nodded, fighting back the mix of nerves and elation.  Three days!  In just three days this nightmare assignment would be over!  “Got it,” He said.

“Great,” Said Sande, drawing to a stop.  “Now get out of here.”

Umilis did not need telling twice.  He left the taxi, left Il-Raz Square, and hurried off at a brisk walk.  He got the next shuttle bus back to the Academy, and once there made straight for his quarters.  He moved quickly, not wanting to be noticed.

But he was.

From the shadows of the Academy entrance, a lone figure noted the return of the top graduate, alone and surprisingly sober for one who should have been out celebrating like never before.

Yes, thought Sheor Valdain, Mr Umquar’s behaviour was most strange indeed...

OOC:

2080 words.

After Action Report:  Janos Umilis (‘Jagen Umquar’) has finally graduated from the New Gildris Academy and become a pilot with the Imperial Remnant.  As planned, the undercover VENI agent will now be stationed at the centre of Imperial power on New Gildris, the fortress base called The Citadel.  That will put him in striking distance of Governor Vreag.  Umilis has also now met his VENI contact, Travis Sande, and planned his escape for once the assassination is complete.  However, rival graduate Sheor Valdain is watching Umilis carefully.
Grey
ComNet Marshal

Grey

[VE-NAVY] Captain

Post Number:  413
February 23, 2013 8:10:50 PM    View the profile of Grey 
The Imperial Citadel
Imperial Remnant

Janos Umilis landed his TIE Fighter after a patrol, last of the four members of Beta Flight to do so.  As the Citadel hangar techs ran forwards to help him climb out, he popped the seal on his helmet and ran a hand through his damp hair.  Janos had sweated heavily on the routine mission, but that was nothing to do with actually exerting himself.  It was all stress related.  He felt that the strain of his mission – his true mission – had escalated of late.  But in just six hours it would be over.

He dropped down the ladder, landing on the deck and approaching his fellow pilots.  As he did so, Janos felt the cool wind blowing in from the hangar entrance, the beautiful vista of New Gildris spreading out before him.  He had to admit, it was a stunningly beautiful planet, and the eventless patrol had been a pleasant chance to see it.

The Squadron all gathered quickly.  “Nice flying out there, Umquar,” Said his flight leader, Lieutenant Dradas, referring to Janos by his cover identity.  Umilis had been playing the role of ‘Jagen Umquar’ for so long that he feared he would soon forget his real name.

“Thank you, sir,” He replied, “Just glad to be fitting in.”

“Well, the 323rd Fighter Wing isn’t for everyone,” Said Dradas, “But you’re doing well.  And so are you, Valdain,” He added, speaking to the figure walking in from Umquar’s left.

Sheor Valdain scowled at the offhand praise, but as a recent graduate of the Academy he replied promptly with “Thank you, sir!”

If the Lieutenant noticed the tension between his newest two pilots, he did not comment.  Instead he and the last member of the flight walked off towards the exclusive pilot’s quarters of the Citadel.  The vast towering fortress was a monolith of Imperial might on the planet New Gildris, with over thirty floors, housing thousands of Remnant personnel.  Among them all, though, the elite of the 323rd Fighter Wing had their pick of the finest lodgings and recreation rooms.

Janos made to follow the other two, leaving the hangar staff to tending to the TIEs, but Valdain barred his path.

“What are you up to?” Asked the arrogant pilot, his voice a menacing whisper.

Janos suppressed a wince.  “What do you mean?”

“Oh I know you are up to something,” Said Valdain.  “I have watched you skulking around at night, looking around the command levels here in the Citadel.  I’ve been on to you for a while now.”

Janos felt the panic rising in his stomach.  Since he had transferred here two days ago, he had scouted the area, planning in detail his mandated assassination of Governor Vreag.  He had tried to be discreet in his walking of the escape route from the Governor’s on-site quarters to the speeder bay, but evidently he had been spotted.  “I was just getting a feel for the Citadel.  I am new here, after all.” The lie made sense, and Janos was instantly proud of himself for thinking of it, but his words lacked casualness, and he wondered if Valdain would be convinced.

“No, there is something more,” Said the other.  “And whatever it is, I’m going to find it!”

Janos inwardly cursed the other’s suspicion.  “And just what are you going to do about these... suspicions?”

Valdain smiled like a wolf eyeing up sheep.  “I’m going to keep quiet for now, Umquar,” He promised.  “But I’ll be watching you!  And when I find out which officer she is, I’ll report you both for improper relationships!”

The undercover agent frowned.  “Improper relationship?” He repeated slowly.

“Oh yes!” Said Valdain.  “I am on to you!” And so saying he turned and stormed off.

Janos breathed a deep sigh of relief.  Things were still on track.

-----

Back in his quarters, Janos lay alone in his bed, unable to sleep.  It was just two hours until he was meant to kill Vreag and he was nervous beyond anything he had ever felt in his life.  He had flown combat missions for the Vast Empire countless times, had put his life on the line again and again, but this was far different.  He was alone in enemy territory, utterly at the mercy of the Imperial Remnant should anything go wrong.

Would he be able to reach Vreag?  Would he be able to kill him?  Would he be able to escape afterwards if he succeeded?  If he failed?  A thousand questions ran through Janos’s mind, but there was nothing for it but to wait.  He knew what time the Governor would be in his quarters, and just had to be patient.

Finally, after an agonizing eternity, the anointed time came.  The Governor would be heading back to his suite at the Citadel any minute now.  It was time for the VENI agent to move into action.

Janos rose and strapped his side arm to his belt.  The blaster pistol inside had a fully charged power back, and a backup one was in his pocket.  He had tested the weapon already and ensured its functionality.  There would be no mistakes.

He left his room, emerging nervously into the corridor and glancing left and right.  The central hallway of the TIE pilots quarters floor of the Citadel was empty and he felt emboldened by this.  It was a fair walk to the Command-level turbolift, and Janos set out boldly, still in uniform, trying to look like he was meant to be wandering around so late.

He set out through the winding passages, passing the odd droid or guard.  In the presence of everyone, sentient or otherwise, Janos felt nervous.  It was a constant fight to look calm, and he feared that his composure would crack at any minute.

Finally he reached the restricted Command turbolift, which led the way to the Citadel’s upper levels, included the Governor’s suite.  Vreag was rich and powerful enough to have his own palatial manor on New Gildris (several in fact), but was often found here, in military surroundings.  The average Imperial respected him for that.

“Stop right there, Umquar!” Said a familiar voice suddenly.

Janos stopped in mid-motion, with his right hand halfway to touching the button to summon the elevator.  He had been so close!

“What is it, Valdain?” He said, affecting an impatient demeanour and angry scowl as he turned to face the other pilot.  Janos watched as the spiteful man emerged from around a corner.  “Have you been lurking there all night?  Have you nothing better to do?”

“I said I’d get you, Umquar,” He snarled.  “I even had the courtesy of warning you, and yet here you are, on the very same day, preparing to commit your violation of the rules yet again.”

“If you take me in now,” Said Janos, thinking quickly, “Then you’ll never know who she is.  Without her you can’t prove anything.  I could be headed up to the Command level on official business.”

“Nice try,” Said the other, “But I’m prepared to call your bluff.  I’m taking you to the General, let him clarify your duties up there.  Perhaps he could even pull up the security monitor feed and find out what you’ve been doing...”

Inwardly Janos was panicking.  He had no real fear of being taken to see the General in charge of the Citadel, as the security recordings would show nothing incriminating.  The problem was the lack of time.  He had to kill Vreag, get out of here, and meet his VENI contact for recovery now!

“Okay okay!” He blurted out suddenly.  “You win, Valdain!”

That confused him.  “I do?” He asked, eyes narrowing in suspicion.

“Look, if you promise to go easy on me, I’ll... I’ll...” Janos pondered for a second and then said, “I’ll give her up too!”

Valdain shook his head.  “I don’t care about whoever it is you are dating, Umquar.  Its your career I want to end.”

“Please, don’t!” He protested.  “Look, if you hand over both of us it will reflect even better on you, right?”

The other nodded.

“Okay.  So, if I do this for you, then you tell them that I was coerced into it,” Begged Janos.  “She’s an officer, and she’s infatuated with me.  She ordered me into her bed!  I’m the victim here!”  In his head this sounded like the plot of a bad erotic holodrama, but he did not need Valdain to agree with it, just repeat it.

“So if I feed them your story,” Said the other pilot, “You’ll hand over an officer breaking the rules?”

Janos nodded.  “Absolutely.  I’m out of the Starfighter Corps regardless, but this way I may manage it alive.  Like I said, you win, Valdain.”

The slimy racist seemed to think it over for a moment, and then finally said, “Okay.  Lead me to his tawdry affair of yours,” He said.

“Just one level up,” Said Janos, leading the way into the turbolift.

-----

The floor he led Valdain to was not the one containing Vreag’s suite.  What he was planning would need to be quiet and secluded, and as far from alerting the Governor’s guards as possible.

“She’s in there,” Said Janos, leading the other pilot to a secluded supply room.

Now suspicion flitted across the other’s face.

Janos shrugged.  “Okay then,” He said, and moved to open the door, going first.

“Wait!” Said Valdain.  “Me first,” And so saying he shoved the VENI agent aside and keyed in for the door release.

Janos did not hesitate.  The moment the door opened, he struck.  Throwing himself forward, he drove Valdain into the room, where the instantly outraged pilot crashed awkwardly to the floor amid a stack of crates.

“You’ll pay for this...” He began, but the look of rage fell from his face as he turned to behold his assailant.

Janos had stepped into the supply room and drawn his gun.

Valdain, still on the floor, stared stupidly at the blaster pistol in the other’s hand.  Janos held it steady before him, and with his free hand hit for the door to close behind him.  The two men were now alone in the small supply room, the silence ominous.

“We... we can talk about this...” Began Valdain, his tone suddenly polite and appeasing.

It was then, as Janos Umilis looked down at the Imperial pilot, that he realised how oddly naive the man was.  Yes, Valdain talked the part of a servant of the Empire, with all the racism and superiority that that implied, but here he was actually surprised by the prospect of a fellow officer drawing a gun on him.  Perhaps Valdain was not the completely amoral scum that Janos thought.

And in that moment, Umilis actually felt a little sorry for his rival.

“Listen... Umquar... just think about this...” Said Valdain.

It was the wrong thing to say.  The cover name reminded Janos of his true mission, of his real reason to be here.  Much as he hated it, he was a VENI agent, and he had bigger fish to fry than Sheor Valdain!

“My name,” He spat, “Is Umilis!” And so saying he pulled the trigger, killing Valdain instantly.

OOC:

1871 words.

After Action Report:  Janos Umilis (‘Jagen Umquar’) has moved in to the Citadel, still undercover as a Remnant pilot.  After careful planning, the night of the assassination is here.  As he makes his way to the quarters of Governor Vreag, however, he runs afoul of Imperial pilot Sheor Valdain.  Janos does the only thing he can do, and quietly murders his rival.  He can now focus on the Governor.
Grey
ComNet Marshal

Grey

[VE-NAVY] Captain

Post Number:  415
February 24, 2013 10:46:06 PM    View the profile of Grey 
The Imperial Citadel
Imperial Remnant

Janos Umilis looked down at the corpse that had been, just moments previous, Sheor Valdain.  He had hated that man, his jealousy, his petty grudges, his racism and his arrogance.  And yet, Janos found that regretted his action.  Why?  He had taken lives before, how was this any different?

The answer came unbidden to his mind.  Because this was personal.  This was no dogfight, this was cold blooded murder of an unsuspecting and unarmed man.  Janos knew at once that this was what it meant to be VENI, and he did not like it.  He wished for an end to this assignment, and for freedom from his service to the sinister Captain Grey.

Hoping that no-one had heard the sound of blaster fire in the small storage room, Janos left quickly, not bothering to hide the body.  If all went well, he would be well away from the Citadel before anyone found Valdain.  And besides, very soon the Imperials would have bigger concerns than a dead rookie pilot.

He returned swiftly to the Command Levels turbolift and keyed in for the topmost floor of the Imperial Remnant fortress.  It was here that high-ranking officials had their quarters, and he emerged into a long corridor stretching to the left and right.  Turning left, he walked boldly past the nearest doors and to the suite at the end of the hall.  Two Stormtrooper guards barred his path.

“Halt!” Declared one of the soldiers, his voice coming through his helmet microphone, “Identify your name and business!”

Janos felt a rush of adrenaline, as his body prepared for the greatest moment of his life.  He felt scared, he felt bold, he felt shamed and angry and glorious.  He felt a thousand emotions vie for control of his body, and in one blinding moment of euphoria he knew the excitement of being a Vast Empire Naval Intelligence agent.  Somehow he kept control enough to say, “I am Petty Officer Jagen Umquar, and I have a priority message for the Governor.”

“Let’s see it,” Said the trooper.

“Its right here,” Said Janos, reaching to his side.  But instead of pulling out a datapad, he pulled his sidearm.  With one smooth motion, he fired at point blank range, taking the Stormtrooper dead in the chest with one shot.  The other scrambled to react but Janos was a TIE pilot, fast of reflex and sure of his aim.  A second shot and it was over.

Just like that, he stood triumphant above the two dead Imperials.  Janos had no time to ponder his reaction to their deaths as he had Valdain’s though, as the sound of his shots were undoubtedly heard within the rooms beyond.  He opened the door and charged into the lush Governor’s suite.

He had no time to take in the lush sofas or fine shag carpeting, the exquisite artwork on the walls or the tank of exotic rare fish on the far wall.  Janos saw only the figure who right now was rising from his chair and staring in open horror at the assassin who had just barged in.

Governor Vreag, white of hair and dark of eye, seemed somehow smaller than when last Janos had seen him.  Perhaps it was partly because the ruler of New Gildris was currently out of uniform, and also that, for the first time, there was fear in the Imperial’s eyes.  He stared in horror, much as Valdain at done, and raised his hands in surrender.

Another Imperial who is all talk and no spine, thought Janos with contempt, and then carried out his duty and riddled the man’s torso with a trio of shots.  Governor Vreag was dead before he hit the ground, and with a suddenness that surprised even the VENI agent, his mission was over.

-----

Janos ran.  He ran faster than he ever had in his entire life.  Part of his mind was screaming at him to stick to the plan, to just stroll out of the Citadel acting casual, but he just could not do it.  Perhaps he had been pushed too far, perhaps the months of undercover stress and barely-maintained composure had snapped with Vreag’s death.  For whatever reason he could not control himself, and giving in to blind panic, he simply sprinted from the scene of the crime.

Down the turbolift and through the base, he was halfway to the speeder bay when the alarms came on and began blaring down the corridors.  Now, some inner voice screamed at him, stop running and act casual now or all is lost!

Forcing his body to comply, Janos ceased his headlong sprint and slowed his pace to a brisk walk.  He saw few people in the corridors so late at night, but did not so much as make eye contact as he strolled swiftly past them.  He felt it a minor miracle when he reached the bay on the ground floor without anyone stopping him, and surveyed the plethora of vehicles available for his use.

Spying a 74-Z Speeder Bike, he leapt aboard and keyed the ignition.  Suddenly, ahead of him at the mouth of the bay, an alarm activated, heralding the imminent closing of the hall’s massive jaw-like doors.

“Sorry, sir!” Said a Stormtrooper emerging from one of the vehicle bay’s side rooms.  “We are going in to lock-down.  Not sure why.”

Janos stared at the warrior, a Scout Trooper, and said, “I am on official business from the Governor!  You have to let me go!”

The warrior shook his head.  “As I said, sir, we are entering full lock-down.”

The VENI agent cursed, and saw the doors now beginning to move.  He had no time left!  Without a second thought, he drew his blaster and killed the Trooper, who barely had time to respond to the pilot’s lightning-quick reflexes.

Janos Umilis had never killed anyone in personal, non-starfighter combat before this evening, and yet that was his fifth that night.  He prayed that there would be no more.

He twisted the throttle forward and, with a lurch of acceleration, sped forwards through the closing doors.  He emerged into the courtyard before the Citadel, hurtling through it and out of the compound.  Behind him he heard voices calling for him to stop, but he ignored the perimeter guards completely in his headlong flight.

By some miracle he was soon clear, and heading down the road towards the nearby city of Ilcreda.

-----

The drive to the capital of New Gildris was the longest ten minutes of Janos’s life.  As he reached the houses at the edge of Ilcreda city’s limits, he began to notice activity in the air above him.  TIE Fighters were now in the sky, the roar of their ion engines all around.  They swooped and patrolled, and the VENI agent was under no illusion that they were not looking for him.

He felt safer as he turned off the main road into narrower ones, shooting along quickly.  There was little traffic on the outskirts so late at night, but he feared how crowded the roads would get as he approached the city centre.  However, Janos took some comfort in that, as that was all part of the plan.  The big outdoor festival being held at Il-Raz Square was going to be the ideal cover for his rendezvous and escape.

He continued to make good time despite keeping to the speed limit to avoid drawing attention to himself.  Soon enough he was surrounded by the towering skyscrapers at the heart of the business district, and knew he was close.

Odd, he thought, still no heavy traffic.  Is everyone going to be walking to this street party?

Eventually he drew up on one of the six roads that met at Il-Raz Square.  He turned onto it and headed quickly for the plaza.  Even as he drew closer, however, he could tell that something was wrong, though his mind tried to deny it until he was actually in the vast open-air monument to the Grand Admiral.

Empty.

Not just quiet, not just an underwhelming party, but deserted.  There was no sign of any celebration, not even one winding down or being set up.  Only one or two people were in evidence, walking to or from the nearby drinking establishments.  And as for the ranks of taxis within which his contact, Travis Sande, was to be concealed, there was likewise not a sign.

“No...” He breathed, eyes wide with horror and his face stricken.  “I... I must have got the wrong day...”

Janos began to run things over in his mind.  The mission notes given to him had been destroyed, and he had not seen Sande since their one meeting in this very place.  He had nothing to check save his own memories, but he certain he had the right night.  Wasn’t he?

So lost in thought was he that it did not occur to him that he was sitting in a very open area, all alone and vulnerable on a speeder bike.  So when searchlights blazed down on him from above he was taken by complete surprise.

“No!” Janos cried out, looking up at the TaggCo Strikebreaker Riot Control Vehicle hovering thirty meters overhead.

“Surrender at once!” A voice cried out through a megaphone.

The VENI agent did not respond, and instead reached for the throttle on his speeder.  Before he could do anything, though, shots lanced out from the repulsor vehicle overhead, catching his speeder in its long forward nose and devastating the front half of the machine.  Janos dived clear, afraid that the entire bike would explode.  It did not, but he knew that it was still unusable, and so made a desperate break for it on foot.

He had little idea where he was going, except away from the Imperials hot on his trail.  Still in the open, he ran towards the nearest buildings, but he was too late.  A KAAC Freerunner speeder emerged and blocked the road in front of him.

“Put your hands up and surrender, or we will open fire!” Came a voice from this latest Imperial vehicle.

Now other speeders were arriving behind him, disgorging several squads of Stormtroopers and cutting off all further lines of retreat.  It quickly dawned on Janos that there was no way out of this, and as panic and fear gripped him, he knew that he had just two options left.

Surrender meekly, or just use his pistol and kill himself right now?

He began to reach for the gun at his side, but a firm and familiar voice called out, “Touch that pistol and my men will simply fire their stun weapons!”

Janos knew the voice, but also knew that it could not be who he thought!  No way!

But it was.  The Stormtroopers parted, and Governor Vreag stepped between them to survey his captive.  The imposing Imperial was in uniform now, confident and controlled.  He seemed a far cry from the frightened man that Janos had thought he had killed, and worse, Vreag was showing no signs of injury whatsoever.

Evidently the confusion showed on Janos’s face, for the Governor said, “You made a real mess of my double.  Do you know how hard it is to find convincing decoys?”

No, realised Janos, his heart sinking, I’ve failed.  I’ve failed completely, and now I am their captive...

“Take him,” Vreag said to his men, and the VENI Agent, broken, offered no resistance.

OOC:

1914 words.

After Action Report:  Janos Umilis (‘Jagen Umquar’) reaches the top of the Imperial fortress known as the Citadel, and there manages to kill Governor Vreag and his guards.  He then flees as quickly as he can to a planned rendezvous with Travis Sande, a VENI agent posing as a taxi driver.  Janos arrives at Ilcreda City’s Il-Raz Square, where he has been told that a massive street celebration there will provide plenty of cover for the meeting.  However, he finds no event, no people, and no Travis Sande.  Alone, lost, and confused, Janos is captured by the Empire.  Worse, the Imperial forces are led by Governor Vreag, alive and well.  The VENI agent has failed.
Grey
ComNet Marshal

Grey

[VE-NAVY] Captain

Post Number:  425
March 8, 2013 8:25:37 PM    View the profile of Grey 
The Imperial Citadel
Imperial Remnant

There was no thought anymore for Janos Umilis.  There were no doubts, no hopes, nothing aside from blinding pain.  It suffused his entire being, consuming everything, until he was nothing but howling, incoherent cries of agony.

Minutes felt like hours, days, an eternity, and when finally the current of electricity coursing through his body ceased it took a while for Umilis to realise it.

He blinked, choked back the screams that died raw in his throat, and felt the dull ache in his limbs.  The chair he was strapped to was home to a hundred wires, the ends of which were jabbed into Janos’s skin and connected straight to his nervous system.  After days of being strapped into the infernal contraption he had learned a level of fear that he did not know existed.

Umilis felt tears upon his cheeks, and smelt the stink of his own urine.  When the machine was active he could do nothing to control his bodily functions and it shamed him greatly.  Slowly, as he sorted out his thoughts, he looked up, and as ever, saw the cold and uncaring face of his Imperial Intelligence torturer.

“Now,” Said the weasel-faced man calmly, as if the previous hour of excruciating torment had been just a momentary distraction for him, “I believe we were talking about who you serve.  The Republic, maybe?”

Janos choked back a sob.  “I... I don’t serve... anyone...” He mumbled through dry lips.

“Now now,” Warned the nameless interrogator, “Let’s not go through this again.  Disaffected individuals with an axe to grind against the state do not try assassinations as you did.  We know that you had help, someone to falsify your background and get you into the Academy.”  As he spoke, the man reached for the chair’s ‘on’ switch.  “Who was it?” He asked.

Umilis watched the man reach for the button, and felt his terror of the chair escalate.  No, he could not endure that again so soon, he could not!  “Wait!”

“Yes?” Asked the other softly, his hand still poised by the switch.

Janos opened his mouth to speak.  It would be easy, he thought, just so easy to tell the torturer what he wanted to know.  Anything to avoid the agony!  “I... I...” He began, but no.  He could not betray the VE, and slowly, deliberately, he closed his mouth again.

The nameless man from Imperial Intelligence seemed to sense his weakness.  “You don’t owe them anything, you know,” He said matter-of-factly.  “Whoever they are, they sold you out.”

Umilis heard the words but instantly knew them for a lie.  “No...” He managed, weakly but defiantly.

“Oh really?  Then why were you in Il-Raz Square?” Enquired the interrogator.  “Out in a big open plaza is an odd place to hide from the forces that you had to have known were after you.  No, my friend, you were there to meet someone.  But they weren’t there, they left you.  Abandoned you to your fate!”

“No...” Said Janos again, but the words had the ring of truth to it.  In the days since his capture he had mulled over the exact same idea.  The plan was to meet his VENI contact under cover of a festival, but Il-Raz Square was empty!  Empty!

“Yes,” Urged the torturer.  “You know the truth, much as you deny it.  But I have the cure for lies right here,” He said, reaching for the switch.  “Nothing burns the falsehoods away like agony....”

“Stop!” Cried Janos at the last second.

This time the Intelligence officer did not, his hand reached slowly and inexorably for the controls.

“You’re right, they weren’t there!” Blurted Umilis, his mouth moving so fast he did not realise he had spoken.

Now the other did pause.  “Who?  Who wasn’t there?”

“VENI,” Said Janos, pained by his reveal but just too weak to go through more agony.  “I... work for VENI...”  The shame of betraying his allegiance was great, but he had no choice.  It was over, he was beaten.

“There, see how easy that was?” Congratulated the Intelligence officer warmly.  “Now, tell me everything...”

-----

From that one confession spilled others.  He gladly told them of his assignment to assassinate Governor Vreag, for he had been pressured into it.  Under torture, his resentment of Captain Grey turned to anger, and his torturer encouraged Janos to despise VENI and its leader for giving him the dangerous task and then abandoning him.

Furthering questioning proved problematic though.  He was pressed for his knowledge of VENI, about its scope and activities.  Umilis did not know such things, and they did not accept that he was a simple pilot, insisting instead that he was a fully qualified VENI Agent.

Slowly, though, through his screams of agony and protestations of honesty, the interrogator began to see the truth.  Umilis was just a tool, with no real knowledge of Vast Empire Naval Intelligence, and unable to give the Empire much information on the organisation.

Eventually, they began to lose interest in him.  The torture sessions grew less frequent, and some time later (Weeks?  Months?  He did not know) they ceased entirely.  Broken, beaten, a shell of himself, Janos Umilis merely languished in a cell.

Finally, one day, he heard the approach of footsteps.  Huddled in a corner on the cold metal floor, Janos looked up with dead eyes, expecting the arrival of his breakfast.  Instead he was surprised when Governor Vreag entered with a trio of Stormtrooper guards.

Vreag, tall and proud in his uniform, looked down on the pathetic prisoner before him.  “Take him!” He snapped, and the troopers came forward and lifted Umilis to his feet.  All the strength was gone from him, but Janos would not have struggled or offered resistance anyway.  There was no point.

“Let’s go,” Said Vreag, and led the way out of the cells.

As they passed through the detention block of the Citadel and out into the main corridors beyond, Umilis began to stir.  Slowly, his broken mind began to realise that he was going somewhere different, not to the chair.  Eventually they led him outside, and he winced in the early morning light.  He had not expected to see sunlight again.

Now fully awake and curious, Janos studied his surroundings intently.  The troopers and the Governor got into a speeder, and then, escorted by other speeders full of guards, took off out of the Citadel’s central compound.  They headed up into the nearby rocky hills, barren terrain overlooking the glittering city of Ilcreda beyond.  Umilis took stock of the situation, and wondered about his odds of trying to escape.  They were slim, but what did he have to lose?

Eventually the speeder and its escorts came to a stop, near the edge of a cliff facing the city.  Vreag took a blaster pistol and gestured for Janos to exit the speeder.  Obediently the prisoner complied.  “I’ll be back in five minutes,” Said the Governor to his guards, and then he and Janos proceeded alone to the edge of the cliff some hundred meters away.

Janos led the way, Vreag’s gun at his back.  Finally they reached the edge, and the Imperial said, “Stop.  Turn around.”

Umilis did as was bid, and looked at the man before him with pure hatred.  “Pretty big of you to leave your guards,” He said.  “What if I tried to take that gun from you and complete my mission to assassinate you?”

The Governor smiled.  “You aren’t strong enough for that, Mr Umilis.  Or do you prefer Janos?” He asked, using the other’s real name that he had divulged during his interrogation.

“Call me whatever you like,” Spat the other defiantly.  “You are going to kill me regardless, right?”

“True,” Said Vreag.  “I like to do these things myself, to show my men that I am not afraid to get my hands dirty.  But I prefer to do it out in the open,” He added, gesturing to the rugged beauty of the land around them.  “Picturesque, no?  And as an added bonus there are no cameras, no recording devices, none of the scrutiny of the detention block.  If you would say your last words to me, gentleman to gentleman, I will hear you.”

“I have nothing to say to you,” Declared Umilis.

Vreag nodded, as if expecting the answer.  “In that case, I have something to say to you.  And that is:  Well done, Mr Umilis!  Your mission was a total success!”

Janos stared blankly for a moment.  “What?” Was all he could manage to say.

“Your mission,” Said the Governor.  “Your real mission.  Imperial Intelligence have been totally convinced that you were trying to kill me.  Their suspicions that I myself may have ties to VENI are now completely dispelled.  Do you know how hard it would be for me to become a Moff with Intelligence blocking my ascent?  Ah, but Captain Grey’s plan worked perfectly!  For surviving an evil assassination attempt I am a hero to my men and loyal beyond doubt in the eyes of my superiors!  Thank you!”

You!” Said Umilis, suddenly knowing clarity.  “You serve VENI too!”

“Of course,” Said Vreag.  “You really didn’t figure it out, did you?  Yes, Grey chose well.  He needed someone for this assignment who could carry it out capably, but was not smart enough to ask questions.  You read my VENI file, right?  Did you not question all those irregularities?  All those strange situations in my past that somehow managed to get me promoted when other men would have been executed for failure?  Who do you think was watching my back and manipulating the success of my career?  And in your time on this world you met not one but two other VENI agents, both far more adept at infiltration than you.  Did you not wonder why Grey did not simply order one of them to sneak into the Citadel and kill me?”

“And my exit plan...” Mused Janos, suddenly putting it all together.

“Was a lie,” Said the Governor bluntly.  “No one was going to be there for you, and there was no festival that night, as I assume you have already realised.  No, the plan needed for you to be caught and tortured.  You had to sing the song you had been taught, that VENI wanted me dead.  A true Agent would have known better, and also had a much greater understanding of VENI and its operations.  Grey could not afford to let a fully trained operative fall into Imperial Intelligence’s hands, so he had to recruit a complete rookie for this.  You.”

Janos Umilis had never felt so used, so betrayed, and so angry in his entire life!  “You filthy fraking scum!” He snarled.  “You and Grey both!  Is this a game to you?  Using people as pawns, setting us up as you wish and sacrificing us as need be!  Tell me, do you get some sort of sick pleasure from this?  Are you proud of what you do?”  ARE YOU?”

“I do what is best for the Vast Empire,” Said Vreag.  “As does Captain Grey.  As do you.”

“No!” Declared Janos.  “I hereby renounce my loyalty to the Vast Empire!  I no longer want anything to do with a regime that condones such vile behaviour!  You can play your sick little spy game, but I intend to be free of it!”

“Then be free,” Said the Governor softly, “And thank you again for all your help.”

So saying he fired once, a single shot to Janos’s head, and ended the man’s suffering forever.

-----

Location Undisclosed

Ensign Grey, lithe and beautiful, glided smoothly into Captain Grey’s office with the latest report.  Sat at his desk, the Head of Vast Empire Naval Intelligence looked up at her.  He wore his ever-shifting static hood, so she could not see his face, and wondered what expression he truly wore this day.

“Janos Umilis is dead, sir,” She said, handing him the datapad.  “Governor Vreag reports that he executed him himself.  He told Umilis the truth before killing him.”

Grey sighed.  “I wish he hadn’t.  I know Vreag is smart enough to check for bugs and listening devices, but saying anything was an unnecessary risk.  I take it Umilis did not take the news well?”

“No, sir,” Confirmed the Ensign.  “He died cursing the Vast Empire and you in particular.”

“So be it,” Said her superior.  “The opinion of a dead man matters little to me.  Have Imperial Intelligence backed off then?”

“Indeed they have, sir.  Vreag reports no further obstacles to him becoming Moff of the Lanoitis Sector.”

“Excellent,” Said Captain Grey.  “We must do all we can to speed that promotion along.  The intelligence that Vreag gives us is great, but nothing compared to what we can have from an Imperial Moff.”

“As you say, sir,” Said Grey.  “Will that be all for now?”

“Yes,” Said the Captain, but as his adjutant turned to leave, he said, “No, wait.  One more thing.  Do you think...” He trailed off.

“Sir?” She prompted.

“Do you think I should feel guilty about my actions?” He asked her.

Grey shook her head.  “You made a sound plan,” She said, “You did what you needed to.  No, sir, you should not feel guilty at all.”

“Good,” Replied the Head of VENI, “Because I don’t.”

THE END

OOC:

2229 words.

After Action Report:  Janos Umilis is tortured by Imperial Intelligence, and reveals all about VENI’s plot to assassinate Governor Vreag.  After weeks of agony, he is finally executed, but not before Vreag reveals to him just what was going on.  Vreag works for VENI.  Imperial Intelligence suspected him of having mixed loyalties, so he had to fake an attempt on his life.  He is now a hero to his fellow Imperials, and in with a chance of becoming a Moff.  Umilis realises that Captain Grey has used him as a pawn, and sacrificed him as such.  He dies cursing the Head of Naval Intelligence.  Captain Grey himself doesn’t care.
ComNet > Imperial Navy > Archived Naval Story Board > VENI: Deep Cover and Deep Trouble  |  New Posts    

All times are CST. The time now is 4:03:56 AM
Comnet Jump:

Current Online Members - 0  |  Guests - 125  |  Bots - 2

< Contact Us - The Vast Empire >