Communications Network
Vast Empire  -  New Posts  -  Search  -  Statistics  -  Login 

ComNet > Imperial Navy > Archived Naval Story Board > Nazgul Squadron: Search and Rescue

Pages:  [ 1 2 3 ]   
Author
Topic:  Nazgul Squadron: Search and Rescue
Rogue
ComNet Cadet
Imperial Supporter

Rogue

[VE-NAVY] 2nd Lieutenant

Post Number:  206
Total Posts:  236
  RE: Nazgul Squadron: Search and Rescue
February 25, 2008 9:23:22 PM    View the profile of Rogue 
While Crimson and Mel ranksacked the data files, and Rusty stood guard, Rogue tried to keep the corvette on the previously programmed course. Course that would have been much easier if the navi-computer hadn't been shredded and scorched. So he was having to keep her in a steady orbit by hand.

Then to make matters worse, the slow leak from the flechette puncturing the viewport had gotten worse. The entire lower starboard portion of the viewport was now fogged up. And as the vacuum pulled more, it would only get worse until it gave out. Then the bridge would be opened like a can to the vacuum of deep space.

“Found that intel we came for yet boys?” Rogue asked.

Both answers came back not sounding that great. They had to hurry before the bridge viewport gave out or somebody opened fire on them. He told as soon as they found any of it, dump it to datapads. Even if they could get part of it, it would be a success at this rate.

**About Five-Six Minutes Later**

Suddenly, the corvette shuddered from something exploding. Then Crimson's screamed as his console exploded in his face. Rusty pulled him away, but he had been hurt by the flying pieces.

“Rusty, get over here and hold this thing.” Rogue ordered.

Rusty quickly swapped places with Rogue. And Rogue moved over to Crimson. He slapped a couple of med pacs on the wounds he could see. That was all he could do for now.

“Just hang on Crimson. We'll get you out of here.” Rogue told him.

Rogue then moved to try and help Mel use the remaining less damaged terminal to find the intelligence they were looking for. So far they had found a few references that fit the criteria, and it had been downloaded straight to their datapads. So far the biggest thing was a backup computer room on the lower deck. They would have to stop and check there before leaving the ship. It would add more time to their escape.

But what really bothered him was the increasing leak. It was getting worse, and soon they would have to give up and abandon the bridge. And with Crimson's wounds, it would be slow going.

If I figured it right, we have maybe another five minutes before the leak is strong enough to damage.

***About Five Minutes Later***

The leak had started to crack the viewport and at the sound, Rogue knew that was it. Time was up.

“Ok, times up. We gotta go.” Rogue announced.

“Rogue,  how are we going to keep the corvette in orbit long enough to make it off?” Crimson croaked.

Rogue thought for a second on that one. He knew Crimson was thinking about them having to carry or drag him. Rusty would have to be one to do that.

“We'll have to rig something. Or just hope, we can make it off in time.” Rogue concluded.

“Or someone will have to stay up here.” someone suggested.

“We don't have time to draw straws here.” Rogue said.

There was a heavy silence for a moment.

“Sithspit! I'll stay. I'm in no shape to fly anyway. I'll hold her as long as I can. You guys just get the others and get out of here alive.” Crimson announced.

“You sure, Crimson?” Rogue asked

“Yes I'm sure. Now get moving.” Crimson yelled.

“Rusty help him get to the yoke.” Rogue ordered.

Rusty used his strength to almost just stick Crimson in front of the helm. Then with a nod at Crimson, the three of them took off on the run, heading for the backup computer room.

OOC:
WC: 613
XO/FL/2LT Rogue/Nazgul 2-5/Phoenix Wing/mSSD Atrus/DEF/VEN/VE / [MC1][VC:B][SWC](LoT) (=ME=)

Imperial Network Star Wars Image

Trevor Evenson
ComNet Marshal

Trevor Evenson

[VE-DJO] Uninitiate
[VE-NAVY] 1st Lieutenant

Post Number:  787
Total Posts:  860
February 26, 2008 10:34:03 PM    View the profile of Trevor Evenson 
“Ok.” Trevor said, looking around the engine room and taking a few steps towards the fire. “Ok. Ok..Ok. Ok. Ok..” He said to himself, pacing back and forth. So far, the first had continued to burn for an extra minute and a half, presumably feeding off of spilled fuel and other such flammable substances that would be found in an engine room. The members of flight one were standing against the far wall, arms crossed and glancing from their commander to the flames that silhouetted his figure. Trevor sighed again and glared at the flames.

“We’re going to have to find a way to put ‘em out, fire extinguishers or something crazy like that. I’m surprised the emergency sprinkler system hasn’t decided to turn on yet.” Trevor said, glancing up at the pipes that were running above his head. Nell was about to open her mouth to suggest something when a faint cracking noise could be heard, followed by a stream of water that poured down from the roof in torrents. At first the flames tried to fight back, but slowly they were drowned out by the relentless water, and within a minute the path was clear from Nazgul to the engines.

“Let’s get to work, shall we?” Jeg asked, trying to wipe the water off his face with a soaked flight suit sleeve. Trevor sighed and heaved one of the bags of explosives from his back, handing a satchel charge to everyone in the group. “Timers set for fifteen minutes, that’ll give us time to get out and get away. Don’t start them, I’ve got a synchronizer as well, so I can start them all at the same time.” Trevor explained, holding up a small gadget with a button and a small display on it.

“Not to be rude, sir, but why not just active them remotely if you can use that thing?” Nell asked, shifting uncomfortably in her sopping flight suit. Trevor shrugged.

“It only works within twenty meters, and although a remote detonation was considered, we felt it’d be safer to do it this way. A hardwired detonator as well as the fact that they can’t jam this is another good point. Just don’t argue with what the guys back home tell us to do, eh?” Trevor said with a laugh, the four pilots sharing in the joke for a second. Nell and Iron nodded and took their charges towards the far side of the room, while Jeg and Trevor began prepping the engine nearest to them. Jeg leaned over as he stuck his charge to the heavy durasteel plating and spoke softly.

“Isn’t it true that you question orders on a regular basis?” He asked, looking up at Trevor as the flight leader set the timer on his charge. Trevor shrugged as he adjusted the timer a little bit more and confirmed it when he was pleased with the fifteen-minute setting.

“Absolutely, but I question them when they go against what I feel is right. If they told me to shoot down my squad mate, I’d question it. If they tell me to use timers instead of remotes, I’ll keep my mouth shut.” Trevor explained as he took another charge from the pack and began to set it up on another engine. Jeg nodded to this response and shrugged, giving Trevor a hand. It didn’t take long with the two groups to get all the charges set up and timed.

“Nazgul Squadron, this is Trevor. I sure hope you’ve all completed your objectives, we’ve got the timers set and in exactly..” Trevor paused, checking his chrono, “Five minutes, I’m going to be activating the timers. Once that happens, we’ve got fifteen minutes to get our butts off this ship and out of the blast radius.” He explained, then clicked the comm. off and flipped his rifle around, preparing for a fight. At first no one else in the squadron realized why he had done it, then they too noticed the small clanging noise coming from a blast door on the opposing wall.

“Shit!” Iron shouted, doing his best to get his own weapon ready. Nell did the smartest thing of the group and dove between two engines just as the doors were blown open in a hail of flame and blaster fire. Trevor crouched and rolled to where Nell was hiding, and Jeg took a dive in the opposite direction, getting behind some workbenches and preparing the flame carbine as he went. Iron just managed to escape a hail of fire, but had dropped his rifle in the center of the floor. Noticing the predicament, Jeg got his attention and chucked the flame carbine across the gap to him, unshouldering his blaster rifle.

The following explosion was one that made Trevor press Nell flat to the floor, and even the attacking pirates dove for cover as it happened. Jeg managed to get a few shots off and take down a pirate before he spun on his knees to see what the matter was.

Where Iron had stood only moments ago, the charred remains of legs were visible, while the rest of his body was no more then a blackened, flaming smudge wiped across the floor and the wall. When he had depressed the trigger to fire the flame carbine, a small circuit overload caused a spark in the half-full fuel tank. The vapors and extremely high pressure caused the canister to explode with such force that it had not only destroyed Iron, but sections of floor were missing tiles and a nearby workbench had been thrown across the engine bay. Jeg took a second to reel in the fact that not only could it have been him who just exploded, but he felt horribly responsible for the death of the new pilot. He was brought back to his senses as a bolt fizzled through the air in front of him, the heat coming off it burning his nostrils as he took a deep breath.

Trevor yelled at him to get down and he complied, bringing his blaster rifle around in one swift stroke and aiming in the direction of the pirates through a whole in the legs of the worktable. He squeezed off a few quick shots as Trevor and Nell did the same, pirates crumpling to the floor in quick succession. Trevor’s accuracy eclipsed the other two pilots, although Trevor quickly handed that off to far more experience on the ground in situations like that. Flight, who needs that to kill people. I just hate the running the army is forced to do. Trevor joked to himself in his mind, pulling the trigger another time and praying that his bolt made contact as the pirate he was aiming at ducked again.

Quickly deciding that a shootout was unfavorable, he dug around in his pocket for his final thermal detonator. Pulling it out, he also noticed the timer/starter clatter to the floor at his feet. He ignored it for a moment, setting the detonator to explode on impact and side-arming it across the expanse, landing it perfectly behind the workbench the pirates had taken cover behind. The resulting explosion hurled the bench through the air, landing loudly only meters away from Jeg’s crouched form. Ignoring the stream of curses aimed in his direction, Trevor bent to retrieve the timer/starter. A look of horror swept across his face as he saw the clock, though. He grabbed his comm. link and flicked it back on.

“This is Trevor again. We’ve got a little problem, in the way that we’ve got about eleven and a half minutes to get our asses out of here. Turns out I hit the timer when I dove to avoid some pirate fire, so lets get in gear and get off this death trap.” Trevor said as he peaked around the corner for any sign of more pirates. With the immediate area cleared, he ducked out from behind his hiding spot and waved for Nell and Jeg to follow him. Nell made a comment about Iron, but Trevor chose not to hear it. He was going to remain wordless about the death as long as he could, one more thing he was going to keep off his mind until he got a safe distance away from the upcoming explosion.

“What happened? Shit, we better hurry!” Trevor heard Rogue tell him through the comm.. Max’s group was silent, but for a simple “OK”. Nothing more was needed for them, because to Trevor’s knowledge they were still in the hanger and should be getting the fighters all turned on and ready to go by now.

“Max, make sure all the fighters are powered up. We don’t want to waste any more time then we have to to get out of here.” Trevor said, raising the comm. to his lips and speaking in a slightly out of breath voice.

“Yessir! I’ll get someone on it right away, everything’ll be ready to go by the time you show up.” Max replied in a slightly tired voice, almost as if he’d been hit a few times during a confrontation. Trevor didn’t question him yet though, he’d do that once they got safely off the ship.

As they entered the hallway beyond the end of the engine bay, Trevor once again found himself under fire and ducking for cover behind a barricade. These guys just refuse to give up, don’t they. He thought to himself, frustrated. A quick glance at the timer was all the motivation he needed. 10:45

OOC:
WC 1600. Leave the time keeping up to me, for you guys it’s not too big of a deal, just keep going aobut the tasks you’ve got. Let’s see some posting from people aside from me, G, Lams and Rogue, eh? If you’re having troubles with the story, feel free to message me or catch me on Comnet.
SC/1LT/Trevor Evenson/Nazgul 1(1-1)/Wing 1/mSSD Atrus/DEF/VEN/VE/(=*A*=)(=*SA*=)[VC:B][LSM][BRC][SWC][GWC][EoT:EC][LoT]

The VEN`s #1 writer as of ESC `06
Still the VEN's #1 writer as of ESC `07

Clearly Canadian!
Gshlecc
ComNet Novice

Gshlecc

[VE-NAVY] Leading Crewman

Post Number:  59
Total Posts:  1957
February 27, 2008 12:24:09 AM    View the profile of Gshlecc 
“Max, make sure all the fighters are powered up. We don’t want to waste any more time then we have to get out of here.” Commed Trevor with an agitated voice.

Max wearily raised the com to his mouth, “Yessir! I’ll get someone on it right away; everything’ll be ready to go by the time you show up.”

He turned to G’shlecc and Lams.  Lams was huddled behind the makeshift barricade of cargo containers and corpses muttering to herself. G stood in a combat stance, his A280 cradled in his arms at the ready, eyes scanning the hall for any incoming hostiles.

“Lams, LAMS”, Max shouted as he gave her a light nudge with his boot.

Lams jumped as if hit with a live power conduit.  "Don't do that!” she screamed.

"I am sorry Lamel, didn't think you'd do that. Be nice." He intoned.

Max was worn out. G could see the fatigue etched on his face.  Max dropped his com arm. A wince crossed his features.  The Helosine must be wearing off. 

"You need some sleep, but wait till we get home."  He said, drawing himself up.  “Right now I need you to get in there and start spooling-up the fighters.  This is going to be a hasty exit.”

G heard a tinge of trepidation in his words.  Not exactly what he wanted to hear from his commanding officer, but at this point he didn’t have much of a choice.  Lams slowly hauled herself off the deck and headed toward the ships.  Her gait was one of a punch drunk fighter.  He watched as she weaved her way across the bay to her fighter. 
  She’s a train wreck.
  He was now left alone with Max, well; Max and a dozen pirate bodies.  Max grabbed some floor, or rather did a semi-controlled collapse.

“OK, the situation is as follows:  Trevor’s tone tells me this is going to be a hot egress.  You and I are going to hold here and cover their escape route.  Then we’ll bug out as quickly as we can.” He said.  “You got those doors open, can you close them again?”

G looked at Max. Then to the doors.  “That’s a negative, those babies are locked open.  What I did to get’em open was enough, the Thermal finished the job.” Stated G.

Max’s whole body sagged.  “OK, we’ll just have to play it by ear, and hope they don’t have any baggage following them. “He stated flatly.

G’shlecc fished around for another Helosine and offered it to his Flight Leader.  Max waived it off.

“I want to be able to fly, I’ll just have to deal until we get back to the Thanatos.” He said through gritted teeth.

G put the Helosine away.  He may not like his FL’s tone, but he could damn well respect his toughness.  He turned to the flight bay, and saw Lams jumping from her fighter to another.  The low whine of the TIE’s engines signified their readiness.  He turned back to Max.

“She’s gonna be a problem, boss.” He stated as he jerked a thumb in Lamel’s direction.

Max looked from Lams to G and said, “ I know, but not a whole Hells of a lot I can do about It now.  I’ll take care of it when we get back.  Right now we need to focus on getting back.”

“Roger that, chief.” Replied Atrasin.

G dropped into a low stance, continually scanning the hall for incoming.  Glancing occasionally at Max, and wondering if he would be able to hold it together till Trevor got back.

Max looked up at him and asked,” Tell, me G, did your parents hate you?”

Momentarily taken aback by the nature of the question Atrasin answered, “No, why do you ask?”

“Well, G’shlecc is not a common name, and damn hard to pronounce.  I was just wondering why they hung that albatross on you?” he continued, “Do you have a nickname or anything else I can call you other than ‘G’.”

“Well, when I was in the Academy, a few of the guys found out my age, and started to call me ‘Granddad’.  A few well placed knuckles cured them of the urge to do that again. “he regaled.

Max chuckled and winced at the same time then asked, “So, did they settle on something less…violent?”

G looked at him. Joking through the pain, he’s got balls.

“Yeah, right after I got out of the brig, they found out I’d been at the Kuat Drive Yards before joining up:  that and my “keep moving forward” attitude.  So they started to call me Driver.  I like it.”  He related.

“’Driver’ eh, ok, Driver it is.” Declared Max. ”You still didn’t say why they gave you that name.”

“It’s actually an amalgam of three peoples’ names:  My Dad’s dad, Geordi.  My Mom’s dad, Sheldan, and my Uncle Alecc.  Lucky me, huh? He laughed.

“OH YEAH.  Lucky you.”Max laughed back

“It’s just as bad for my brother. He was named for my Grandmother, Beatric, and my other Granddad Davion, hence Bedav.” He quickly noted

“Wow, that’s one messed up way to name kids.” He replied

“Yeah, we got in a lot of fights as kid, some with other people.  But, now were OK, he works for Courscant Power. Although, he thought I was crazy to join up.” He mused

“My family didn’t want me to join either, thought I might get hurt,” he chuckled as he looked at his wounds, “good thing they were wrong, huh?”

“Hah, yeah” G replied.

He looked over his shoulder and saw Lams jump into another fighter.  They hangar was now a cacophony of engines.  Driver knew that she’d be done soon, and they would be on their way home.  He only hoped that getting there would be easier than it had been getting to this point.  He saw Max turn back to the hall and position himself for incoming.  He joined him, waited for the rest of the squadron, and hoped nothing else would go wrong.

OOC:
1006 words, and not much more to say, except get here quick.
LCRW Gshlecc "Driver" Atrasin/Nazgul 3-11/mSSD Atrus/1VENF/VEN/VE/[=A=]

Vacuus Ordo, Nex
-Without Order, Death
We few, we happy few. We band of brothers. - Henry V
[This message has been edited by Atrasin (edited February 27, 2008 10:00:34 PM)]
[This message has been edited by Atrasin (edited March 8, 2008 12:14:23 AM)]
Jegora Fal
ComNet Novice

Jegora Fal

[VE-NAVY] Chief Petty Officer

Post Number:  93
Total Posts:  2175
March 4, 2008 11:10:48 PM    View the profile of Jegora Fal 
Trevor had picked up the pace slightly as they left the hangar, forcing Nell and Jegora to jog. It didn’t bother Jegora that much; in fact, he enjoyed it. He could tell, however, that Nell found less enjoyment from running, and she was having a hard time with all her gear.

When they came to an intersection, Trevor slowed to a stop. Jegora took the opportunity to relieve Nell of her extra gear, mainly her flechette carbine. He gave her his lighter blaster rifle in return. As he took the deadly shrapnel weapon, Jegora checked all the pretty little lights. He wasn’t sure what they were all for, but they all were green, and he supposed that had to be a good sign.

While Trevor consulted a map and Nell rested for a few seconds, Jegora’s thoughts wandered back to the engine room. He still couldn’t believe that Iron was gone. Jegora had never been close to him, sure, but he was still a flight member. He still felt a sense of loss. Not only that, but he could have just as easily been decimated by the flamer. Jegora was not unsettled easily, but on this mission he had been scared to the point of panic twice: once with the enraged wookie, and again in the few milliseconds following the explosion of the flame carbine.

As Trevor shouldered his rifle and began to move, Jegora shook his head. The one thing he would not do was allow himself to dwell on his actions. He had done nothing wrong, and there had been nothing he could have done to prevent Iron’s death.

He just wished he didn’t feel so damn guilty.

Jegora took up a rear position, twisting every now and then to watch their six. Trevor took point, with Nell somewhere in the middle. Jegora knew that the weapon he carried now was just as deadly as the flame carbine, and just as destructive. If he had to use it, it would cause the same devastation that the flamer had to the pirates. Wincing slightly, Jegora wished he wouldn’t have reason to use it.

As they continued to jog back through the twisting halls, Nell kept throwing hateful glances over her shoulder at him. He wasn’t sure, but Jegora thought it might have something to do with Iron’s death. From what he knew, the two had been fairly close, and of course they had been wing mates. Jegora couldn’t blame the young woman if she thought him responsible for Iron’s death, but the hate in her eyes was a distraction, something he didn’t need right now.

He focused on ignoring his squadron mate for the rest of the run. They had almost reached the lift to the hangar deck when all hell broke loose. Trevor was the first to see the problem as two pirates ducked out of a passageway about twenty meters in front of the squad. Giving a shout and pulling his rifle to his shoulder, Trevor immediately dropped one and Nell shot the other in the stomach.

By now Jegora had other problems, though. A group of three pirates had come up behind the squad, and Jegora’s instincts only just saved him from being shot in the back. Dropping to the ground and depressing the flechette’s fire-button in one motion, Jegora filled the hallway with thousands of sharp projectiles.

The effect on the pirates was more gruesome than the results of the flamer. The pirates immediately dropped their weapons as thousands of carbon-steal projectiles sliced through them. One of the pirates screamed once, and then his shrill death keel was cut off by even more projectiles. Then the pirates simply seemed to melt.

Jegora stood frozen, once again surprised by the devastation he had unleashed against other living beings. He sighed, and threw down the flechette.

“No more,” he said, his voice hard. “From now on, I use my blaster.”

Trevor nodded in silent agreement. They were almost to their fighters, and the flechette would be of no more use to them. While on the outside he remained calm, on the inside he was relieved. While he didn’t loathe killing, it did make him uncomfortable, especially when he had to kill in such a violent way. Right there he decided that it was much better to kill someone in a starship. He knew it was still killing, but at least he didn’t have to see the poor bastards face.

Before Jegora began moving again he pulled out his DC-15 and put a round through the flechette. No need for one of the pirates to pick the gruesome weapon up and use it against the Nazgul pilots.

“Good thinking,” Trevor commented, and then they were off again. In only a few minutes they had come to the lift, which they filed into.

On the way down, Trevor spoke. “Ok, when that door opens, Nell and I will cover the hallway with our rifles. Jeg, you move out and try to find a position to cover us from, and then we’ll follow you out of the lift.”

Jegora nodded. It would be dangerous, but then what part of this mission hadn’t. As the lift slowed Trevor and Nell checked their rifles and got ready to lay down covering fire. The lift would open into a large hallway that ran directly to the hangar bay, and there was no telling what kind of enemy forces they might encounter.

As the door slid open Trevor and Nell quickly searched for targets. Finding none in the hallway Jegora slipped out of the lift and made his way to crouch behind some stacked crates. He then scanned the hall with his blaster pistol one more time, making sure the way was clear.

Motioning to Trevor and Nell that everything was all clear, Jegora began to relax. Just as his two wing mates were exiting the lift, however, a patrol of four pirates came around the corner. Jegora didn’t even hesitate before he opened fire with his blaster pistol. He immediately hit and killed one of the pirates, but then the other three were moving. Trevor or Nell (probably Trevor) shot another one of the pirates as he rounded the corner. As the blaster bolt hit the man square in the back, he went sprawling onto the hard tile floor.

Jegora watched the corner that the pirates had disappeared behind closely, looking for any sort of indication that they were coming back. As he did so, Trevor and Nell continued to make their way to their own defensive positions, which also happened to be behind some stacked crates.

As she moved, Nell commented on the boxes. “Nice of them to leave this crates here for us, wasn’t it,” she said sarcastically.

Jegora responded, his voice devoid of any sort of emotion. “This is a cargo lift. It goes all the way to the main kitchens at the top of the ship.”

Nell sniffed, and went silent. Now the three pilots faced a serious problem. They faced a wall, with a hallway running left and a hallway running right. A right turn would take them to the hangar, but would expose their back to the pirates that they assumed were still waiting behind the left corner.

“Any ideas?” Trevor asked.

Jeg simply pulled a fragmentation grenade from his utility belt.

OOC:
Jegora Fal

FM/CPO Jegora Fal/Nazgul 1-2/Phoenix Wing/mSSD Atrus/1Flt/VEN/VE (=*A*=) (=*SA*=) [MC1] [LoT]

Exitus acta probat
-The ends justify the means
Trevor Evenson
ComNet Marshal

Trevor Evenson

[VE-DJO] Uninitiate
[VE-NAVY] 1st Lieutenant

Post Number:  788
Total Posts:  860
March 5, 2008 11:32:31 PM    View the profile of Trevor Evenson 
Trevor couldn’t help but grin as Jeg pulled a fragmentation grenade from his belt and held it up. Chucking the grenade around the corner would work perfectly, either as a distraction or as a way to kill the guards who may not yet have noticed their fallen comrades. Trevor and Jeg nodded in agreement of the idea and quietly moved forward with Nell a few paces behind, keeping an eye on their tail. As they approached the intersection, Jeg pulled the pin on his grenade and heaved it around the corner, the small metal container ricocheting off the wall and bounding across the hallway floor. A second later Trevor heard a pirate shout something before a deafening boom and a few short screams.

Standing up from a kneeling position, Trevor stuck his fingers in his ears and twisted, as if trying to clean them out. “Next time, lets think of something more quiet, ok? That was waaay to loud.” Trevor said, grinning at Jeg and Nell. She was rubbing her ears intensely while Jeg just shook his head with a tight-lipped grin on his face. Peeking around the corner, the pilots spotted the remains of the final two patrolmen, both of whom had been killed by the blast. A quick glance in both directions made sure the hall was clear and the three pilots took a right turn towards the hanger. As they got closer, Trevor could hear the combined hum of twelve TIE fighter engines all waiting to be pushed to their limits.

“Ok guys, we’re almost at the hanger. We’ll be coming through a set of doors any minute now, so be expecting us. I can’t speak for Rogue’s group though.” Trevor said between breaths into his comm. as he ran between Nell and Jegora.

Rogue’s voice piped up over the comm. “Yeah, we’ll be there in a second too. Had to take a detour after the bridge imploded itself, but we’ve got the files. There was a secondary file bank, I’ll fill you in later.” He said, sounding somewhat out of breath himself. Trevor nodded and raised the comm. to his lips again.

“Ok, so we should be out of here in time. We’ve got another 8 minutes to get out, so we’re doing fi- Shit!” Trevor blurted as he, Jeg and Nell all fell in a synchronized motion onto the ground, then slid a few more feet. Trevor had thrown his rifle as he fell and it now lay a couple of meters away from him, close to a pair of boots that he realized didn’t belong to any Nazgul pilot. As he followed the boots up past a pair of ragged pants and a dusty combat vest, he found himself looking at a scarred, pale green face. It sneered back at him for a second before kicking the rifle farther away and raising its own.

“Killing my men was well done, but you won’t get any farther. You guys hit the oil perfectly, and now here you are.” The alien said, yellow pointed teeth showing behind his lips. Trevor didn’t even think as his body twisted slightly on the slick surface, aimed his pistol and fired. He hadn’t even taken the weapon out of his holster, but chose to instead fire through the bottom of it. His first shot missed but the surprised pirate still didn’t stand a chance. Trevor’s second and third shots made contact with the flimsy flesh on his head and buried themselves deep into his brain.

As the pirate collapsed to the floor, Trevor slowly and carefully got up, lost his footing once against and returned to the floor, then proceeded to regain his proper footing. A minute later Jeg and Nell were on their feet as well, and the group shuffled to the edge of the pool of oil. They had missed it before because the oil was almost clear, but there was no mistaking the glare from the overhead lights now. Trevor’s suit had soaked through and he felt horribly uncomfortable as he jogged down the hall, his boots making odd schlucking noises with each step.

*** One Minute Later ***

Trevor and his flight almost ran head on into the door that led to the hanger. A quick tap of the access and the group was in, the sound of their boots resounding off the hard tile floor, mixing with the steady drum of the TIE engines. The three pilots cleared a wingtip to find themselves face to face once more with blaster rifles. This time, the rifles were quickly lowered and three salutes were thrown at Trevor as Lamel, Max and G quickly realized their mistakes.

“Has everyone else shown up?” Trevor asked, scanning the hanger for any signs of flight two. His question was answered a second later by more boot sounds coming from a hallway framed by a blown open door. Trevor could see charred walls further down, and momentarily Rogue and the other Flight Two pilots appeared from the hallway. The Flight Three and One pilots didn’t even bother raising their weapons, they just waved the group over. Rusty was holding a small case in one of his gigantic hands, which Rogue quickly explained contained hard copies of everything.

“Basically, we couldn’t get the data off in time so we powered down the storage systems and removed the hard drives. This way the VEN staff can get whatever the hell they want off of here without any chance of us losing it because we couldn’t get off of here in time. How much time do we have anyways?” Rogue asked, glancing at the small timer on Trevor’s belt. Trevor quickly snatched it up and glanced at it.

“Five minutes and forty-three seconds. Forty-two. Forty-one. Forty-one..uh..” Trevor read aloud, tapping the digital display for another few seconds before glancing up at the other pilots. “The timers froze, you guys better get into the ships and get out of here. I’ll go get the timers going again.” Trevor said, once again tapping the display and glancing at his pilots. Most of them did as they were told, but as Crimson turned to limp to his fighter, Rogue grabbed Trevor’s shoulder.

“Are you sure you should do that? I mean, what if those things go off before you get out, well, that’s pretty obvious, bud.” Rogue said in a low tone, making sure his commander wasn’t going to do something stupid.

“I’ll be fine. With those pirates cleared it’ll take me maybe two minutes to get there and back. So I’ll be back with three minutes to spare. You guys head back to the corvettes and tell them to wait for me, this should only take a little while.” Trevor said before he shook himself loose of Rogue’s grip, gave him a sloppy salute and dashed off back down the hallway. Behind him he could hear Rogue shouting orders to those standing around, and swore he heard the sound of a few of the TIEs lifting off.

It only took him a few seconds to get back down the hallway, skillfully dodging the oil slick and the body of the dead pirate. Another quick dash and he found himself in the engine room again, very conscious of the amount of death that had occurred here only seven or so minutes prior. He slid onto his knees as he threw himself towards the first bomb, quickly and carefully removing the outer cover for the timing mechanism and crossing two wires. The bomb made a beeping noise, followed by the other bombs synchronizing themselves, and their timers resuming the count down.

Oh. Oh crap. Trevor thought to himself as he checked the timers. The displays had frozen, but the timer itself had continued to count down. As he checked everything, he quickly realized that three minutes would only just be long enough to get back to the hanger and get out of there. He left his small set of tools lying on the ground and after almost tripping himself made a clean escape from the engine room.

As he sprinted past minced bodies that Jeg had left behind, he took a second to let his eyes follow behind him. This proved to be a bad idea when he ran face first into the solid elbow of a large man. His feet chose to keep running, but his head and the majority of his body decided that landing on the floor would work out better. Even behind the broken nose and blood pouring out of his face, Trevor’s mind was thinking quickly. Through the fireworks behind his eyes he could barely make out the spot where the man’s legs joined together and rapidly fired his boot into the spot. A sickening crunch was felt more then heard, and the man toppled over, partially trapping Trevor’s legs.

Eat. My. Boot. Trevor yelled inside his head as he brought his free foot around and began ramming the heel of his boot viciously into the larger man’s face. After the first few kicks the man grunted and a bubble of blood slid out of his mouth, followed by a couple of teeth. A few kicks later he rolled over to avoid the onslaught, freeing Trevor’s trapped legs.

“Hope you burn in hell.” Trevor roared as he wiped the blood from his lips and began on his way again, feeling somewhat more lightheaded then before.

One Minute, Eighteen Seconds

Trevor was sprinting down the hall at a bit of a slower pace, doing the best he could to slow the blood flow from his nose while keeping his mind on the task at hand. He was avoiding looking at the timer, trying to keep his mind off his possible fate. His distraction by his blood caused him to forget about the pool of oil, and when his first boot hit it he toppled once more to the floor.

Forty Three Seconds

Now a mess of blood and oil, Trevor’s flight suit, face and hands were shaking as he hit the access to the hanger door. He slammed one of the aluminum ladders against the hull of his TIE, which, thanks to Lams was facing the right way, and began climbing. He felt extremely dizzy and holding onto the ladder was challenging, but he slowly made his way up.

Fifteen Seconds

He toppled head first into the cockpit, landing at an awkward angle.  It took him a few seconds to get himself righted and get his seatbelts properly located on his body. The one safety feature he refused to fly without.

Six Seconds

He began to work from a place in his mind that was beyond the fog, one that had been taught and used so often it had become basic instinct. The final latch on his seatbelts were all the remained. His helmet lay on the floor of the fighter, unused.

Two Seconds

Trevor fumbled with the seatbelt bracket and almost grabbed for it again, but something deep in his mind told him that it would be a bad idea to do so. The instincts from beyond the fog took over, the idea of self-preservation pounding as steady as his heart.

Zero Seconds

Fire shot out the hanger wall behind him. Milliseconds later his TIE was engulfed in the explosive force of the corvette’s engines detonating.

OOC:
WC 1907. Enjoy. Rogue, wrap this one up. I fyou don’t, I will on Saturday.
SC/1LT/Trevor Evenson/Nazgul 1(1-1)/Wing 1/mSSD Atrus/DEF/VEN/VE/(=*A*=)(=*SA*=)[VC:B][LSM][BRC][SWC][GWC][EoT:EC][LoT]

The VEN`s #1 writer as of ESC `06
Still the VEN's #1 writer as of ESC `07

Clearly Canadian!
[This message has been edited by Trevor Evenson (edited March 5, 2008 11:36:02 PM)]
Gshlecc
ComNet Novice

Gshlecc

[VE-NAVY] Senior Crewman

Post Number:  68
Total Posts:  1957
March 6, 2008 12:00:59 AM    View the profile of Gshlecc 
G’shlecc and Max sat wearily behind the container barricade as Lams spooled up the TIEs.  She was moving with purpose and meaning, no hint of the debilitating indecision that nearly got them killed during the previous firefights.  Max looked like 8 klicks of bad road.  The wounds he had received were obviously causing him pain, yet he was silent.  G scanned the hall, waiting for more pirates to show and put a very unhappy ending to his first mission.  First Mission.  It seemed like 2 months, not a matter of hours since he first poked his head in Trevor’s fighter.  Since then he’d been shot at numerous times, nearly blinded by flash-bangs, shepherded in a ding-up wingman, and then nursemaided her through three different firefights. Not to mention, blowing hanger doors, setting defenses, doing triage on his Flight Leader, and setting perimeter defense alarms. All in all, he definitely felt like the Empire got its credits-worth on this one.

Looking to Max, he said, “How’re you holding up?”

“As well as can be expected with both my arms shot up.” Max replied with a terse sarcasm.

“Ya need another Helosine?”G queried.

Max winced as he drew himself up, “Nah, as I said before, I want a clear head. Just in case anything else goes south in this cluster.”

Atrasin wanted to argue that this mission had gone relatively well, but he had no frame of reference.  If Max said this was a cluster, than it was a cluster.  His eye was again drawn to the hangar as Lamel flitted from one fighter to the other.  She had already powered up about half of the ships.  Their engines thrumming a rhythm as they warmed up.  G had hoped for an orderly retreat:  that was not to be.

He was about to ask Max what made this mission exceptionally wrong when the FL’s comm crackled to life.

Trevor’s breathless voice streamed out, “Ok guys, we’re almost at the hanger. We’ll be coming through a set of doors any minute now, so be expecting us. I can’t speak for Rogue’s group though.”

Max and G slid back into combat mode as a second voice came across the channel.

“Yeah, we’ll be there in a second too. Had to take a detour after the bridge imploded itself, but we’ve got the files. There was a secondary file bank; I’ll fill you in later.”Rogue wheezed.

“Ok, so we should be out of here in time. We’ve got another 8 minutes to get out, so we’re doing fi- Shit!” Trevor’s comm went dead.

Max and G looked at each other. The broken link was not a good thing.  Max attempted to stand.  Not an easy task with one bad arm, let alone two.  G reached down and helped haul the wounded FL to his feet.

“OK, I’m heading for my ship, it’s gonna take me a little extra time to get situated with these.” He trailed as he slightly moved his arms.  “You stay here and cover just in case we have a few unaccounted for “friends”.

G nodded. Max started for his TIE.  Lams was finishing with the last one as Max reached her.  G turned to focus on the hall when a low alarm went off.  He sprang through the door, and sprinted to where Max and Lams stood looking confused.

“Perimeter alarm!” he shouted as he ran past them. “Someone’s coming through the back door!”

Max unslung his rifle, and Lamel picked hers up off a nearby workbench and followed Driver to the edge of a nearby TIE.  Max wordlessly set the ambush, as the heard the door whoosh open.  The clatter of boot heels told them whom ever was coming, was here.  They tensed for a quick, messy firefight.  Only to be greeted by Trevor and the rest of Flight one.  G quickly dropped his rifle and automatically popped a salute.  He noticed Max and Lams did the same until Trevor’s scowl reminded them they were in a combat zone, not a parade ground.

“Has everyone else shown up?” Trevor asked between gasps.

His question was answered as Rogue, Rusty, and the rest of Flight 2 came racing through the main doors.  They stopped a few feet from the rest of the assembled Nazgul.  Rusty was carrying a small container in his furry mitts.  G wondered for a moment what it was, but then decided he didn’t care at this particular moment. Later, maybe. Right now he was focused on getting out of here.

Rogue proceeded to give a quick rundown of what they had then asked, “How much time do we have anyways?”

Trevor glanced at his chrono and read off, “Five minutes and forty-three seconds. Forty-two. Forty-one. Forty-one…”  He continued,”Uh, the timers’ froze; you guys better get into the ships and get out of here.  I’ll go get the timers going again.”

Trevor turned to head back out. He was grabbed by Rogue and words were exchanged.  G noticed only in passing as he headed to his ship.  The engines were now fully warmed up and ready to go.  He climbed the ladder and dropped into the cockpit. The safety harness seemed to snake itself around him as he went into automatic mode.  His fingers flew across the controls and pre-flight took mere seconds.  He reached behind him, made sure his gear was stowed, and grabbed his helmet.

He could see the other Nazzies lifting off of the corvettes deck and sliding toward the hangar’s entrance.  Rusty, Crimson, Lams, Jeg, Max all departed smoothly.  He powered up and fell in behind his Flight Leader.  Nell came next followed by Mel and Rogue.

G counted the fighters and commed Rogue, “We’re one short, not counting Trevor. Who’s missing?”

Rogue replied tersely, “Iron went down.  Go to radio silence.  G, Nell and I will form a perimeter, the rest of you head back to the Thanatos.”

Driver saw affirmation lights go off on his comm set, and watched as the rest of Nazgul peeled off and headed back to the Strike Cruiser.  They flew in intersecting circles around the corvette.
Watching and waiting for their leader to shoot out of the landing bay and signal for everyone to go home.  They waited and flew.  The cockpit chrono showed time running out, and still no Evenson.

Rogue broke radio silence and barked, “Pull back to the midpoint, now!”

G responded. He pushed his TIE over the top of the corvette, and kicked the throttle to full.  The engines screamed a protest, but did not fail.  He watched his rear monitor as Rogue and Nell fell in behind.  For a moment he thought he caught the faintest glimpse of an Interceptor clearing the hangar. Then the corvettes’ engines went, and the surrounding space got very, very bright.

OOC:
1133 words, come on home Trev. drinks are waiting.
FL|SCRW Gshlecc "Driver" Atrasin/Nazgul 3-1/mSSD Atrus/1VENF/VEN/VE/[=A=]

Vacuus Ordo, Nex
-Without Order, Death
We few, we happy few. We band of brothers. - Henry V
[This message has been edited by Atrasin (edited March 6, 2008 12:38:15 AM)]
Rogue
ComNet Cadet
Imperial Supporter

Rogue

[VE-NAVY] 2nd Lieutenant

Post Number:  207
Total Posts:  236
March 6, 2008 9:08:47 PM    View the profile of Rogue 
The Interceptor rocketed along and the engines screamed in response. Normally Tail End Charlie was not the place for the squadron XO. Especially with the squadron commander missing. But that was just how Rogue did things on a mission of this importance.

G was leading their little trio, and Nell was tucked in behind him, with Rogue hanging back. He should have been leading the squadron back to the Thanatos but he had stuck Jeg with that job. Doing that and hanging back served two purposes. One, it let him keep an eye on everyone else, especially Rusty, who would break off to engage anything if they let him. The other was it let him keep an eye out for Trevor.

Suddenly, it was like there was another sun forming in the system. But this one was expected as the charges Trevor and the others had laid, went off. The force of the charges detonated the engines, and punctured the fuel tanks, which then exploded.  He counted to himself, waiting for the expanding shockwave to catch up with them. It didn't take long. The wave picked up the fighter and tried to toss it around like a rag doll. But Rogue was too experienced a pilot to let that happen. He guided the fighter through the wave like a surfer riding a wave.

But there was still no sign of Trevor. And with an explosion of that magnitude, there wouldn't be any. He triggered the radio to break the radio silence order.

“Five to squadron. Mission complete. The corvette is gone. No sign of one.” he broke the news, then continued before anyone could ask. “Get to the Thanatos. Leave the dogfighting to the Viper pukes.”

The squadron weaved it was way through the fighting, trying to avoid dogfights if possible. The several pirate fighters that did try to engage them quickly were out classed by the newer Interceptors and destroyed. Only Crimson did not engage. He stayed on as close to a baseline course to the cruiser as he could. Rogue listened and smiled as Jeg ordered the others into shifting formations designed to not only protect Crimson, but also keep the squadron together.

He's learning, especially to control someone like Rusty. Have to tell him that. He might make a good choice for XO.

The trio he was in was finally closing on the rest of the squadron. They had to cut through a bit thicker part of the fighting to do it, but G's course selection managed to get them through it.

“Five to Two. Jeg, we're almost to you. How far to the cruiser?” Rogue asked.

“We almost there. But the Thanatos is engaged with enemy cap ships.” Jeg replied.

“Pick a course threw and get us to the cruiser. We've lost enough people today.” Rogue ordered.

The rest of the flight was a crazy mess of weaving, jinking, and pulling all sorts of maneuvers to get through the fighting without getting too deeply involved.  Meanwhile the sensors were alive with the blips of Viper and Devil Squadron engaging the remaining pirate fighters.

“Nazgul Five to Thanatos” Rogue called. “Commodore, get ready, we're coming in hot. I recommend as soon as we're aboard, Viper and Devil get in behind us and we run for it.”

He didn't wait for an answer. He just switched back to the squadron channel.

“Two, Jeg, go straight for the hangar. Crimson needs medical help especially.” Rogue ordered.  “Six, Rusty, getting Crimson there is your responsibility. You hear me you crazy Wookiee! Get Crimson to the cruiser's medbay! G, you and me are last in.”

“Yes sir.” came the strangely happy reply from G.

A few minutes later it was approach time. Jeg went first, leading the way. He made a Nazgul special high powered approach, cutting power as the last second. The injured, Lams and Crimson,went next into the hanger. Max and Nell went next, and then it was Mel and Rusty's turn.

“Rusty, get in the hangar now!” Rogue yelled into the com, just in case he was right and Rusty was thinking of going after one of the pirate fighters. A bellow came back as the reply, but the interceptor slipped into the hangar. Mel followed his wingman without comment. Then it was G and Rogue's turn.

“G, time to land!” Rogue ordered while bringing his Interceptor around.

The Interceptors may be better fighters than the regular Tie Fighters of Viper and Devil squadrons, but they also took up more room. By landing them first, they could better arrange things to fit all the fighters in the bay.  G's Interceptor slid into the hangar and Rogue followed.

He also made a high power approach, then slammed on the brakes as he slipped through the mag-con field. He kicked in the repulsorlifts and felt them catch the fighter just in time to keep it from slamming into the hangar floor. It settled down onto its wings, and he speed shut everything down. He unstrapped, stood up and popped the hatch, before clamoring over the side and dropping to the deck. He got to his feet from the pile he landed in on the deck and ran over to the com unit next to the hangar door.

“Hangar to Bridge. Commodore, Nazgul's aboard. Let's get Viper and Devil in here and get out of here.” Rogue yelled into com.

(About two minutes later)

Devil Squadron TIE's started coming in first. Their approaches were far, far slower and more common than any of Nazgul's had been. Rogue counted TIE's as they came in, and he was short a few. Devil Squadron had taken casualties.  Then it was Viper's turn to land.

But he didn't get to watch Viper's landing. Instead, a now helmetless TIE pilot came racing over with a large wrench in hand. Rogue dodge the swipe just in time to recognize the Devil Squadron commander.

“Hey! Watch It!” Rogue yelled.

“You gutless cowards! You sanctimonious hotshots! I lost good people out there and you didn't even help us!” Breedan yelled at Rogue.

Rogue hands dropped to his holstered blaster, but he didn't draw it yet. “I'm sorry about you pilots. But we followed out orders.” He thought of Trevor. “We lost some too. Now unless you want to be in major pain, I suggest you get away from me.”

“Oh yeah, I bet your just so tough, just like that CO of yours.”  Breedan sneered.

“Oh nevermind. Rusty, just break his legs!” Rogue replied.

A bellow came from Rusty who had come back into the hangar bay from helping Lams and Crimson.

“He is my insurance. That why!” Rogue snapped back as Breedan's head snapped around to see the giant upset wookiee standing there. “You two have fun now. I'll be on the bridge.”

(Several minutes later)

Rogue stepped out of the lift and onto the bridge as the ship ran to jump to hyperspace. He crossed over to where the Commodore stood and snapped to attention.

“2Lt Rogue reporting in Commodore sir.” Rogue announced

“What is it Lt? I am a little busy right now” Darkhawk demanded.

“The Intelligence sir.” Rogue handed over the case Rusty had brought from the corvette.

“Good work Lt.” DH replied as he took the case.

Rogue stayed standing there, waiting for a chance to speak.

“Is there something else, Lt?” DH demanded.

“Sir, I would like to know what else was on that corvette and when can a search craft get back in to search for survivors?” Rogue asked.

“Why do you think something else was on the corvette Lt?” DH demanded again.

“Because sir. It went up much faster than if just our charges went off. I should know, I prepared the charges. And it cost us Lt Evenson because of it.” Rogue replied

“I am sorry about Lt Evenson. Trevor will be a big loss not to just your squadron but the entire Navy as well. But you are not authorized to know anything else at this time. As for survivors, we will have to worry about them later. Right now we just need to get out of here” came DH's unemotional reply.

“Yes sir” Rogue replied through gritting teeth.  He spun on his heel and left the bridge, not bothering to salute the Commodore. He was too upset for that right now.

( A few minutes later)

He slowly stepped into the room that had been assigned for Nazgul to gather in the trip out. This time, it was no where near as happy or excited.  Rogue stepped up to the front of the room and shook his head.

“If any of you didn't know already, we lost Iron and Trevor.” Rogue announced flat out. It was the best way to do it. Just put it out there.  “Trevor went back to make sure the charges would go off as planned. I don't know if anyone saw anything of his Interceptor, but no survival beacon or beacon on any kind has been located or heard from.”

“Is there going to be any sort of rescue mission?” Jeg asked.

“According to the Commodore, there will not be.” Rogue replied with a sneer on the rank. “Other than that, all I know is we are in hyperspace heading to meet up with the Atrus. Once their I'm sure there will be enough debriefings to annoy us all.”

Rogue fell silent for a second, then called for attention again. “I would like to make one suggestion through.  I think we should honor Trevor's memory. Therefore, I will be buying the first round, on the condition, that we all toast it to his memory.”

***Mission Complete - Status - Success***

OOC:
1624 words
XO/FL/2LT Rogue/Nazgul 2-5/Phoenix Wing/mSSD Atrus/DEF/VEN/VE / [MC1][VC:B][SWC](LoT) (=ME=)

[This message has been edited by Rogue (edited March 6, 2008 10:36:44 PM)]
ComNet > Imperial Navy > Archived Naval Story Board > Nazgul Squadron: Search and Rescue  |  New Posts    
  Pages:  [ 1 2 3 ]   

All times are CST. The time now is 1:30:52 PM
Comnet Jump:

Current Online Members - 0  |  Guests - 90  |  Bots - 1

< Contact Us - The Vast Empire >