D'har Leth
ComNet Initiate

D'har Leth

[VE-ARMY] Private First Class

Post Number:  167
Total Posts:  501
  RE: the end of life as we know it
August 17, 2006 5:22:10 PM    View the profile of D'har Leth 
Further proof that you're not listening, but just waiting for your turn to speak.

-----------------------
Private First Class D'har Leth
-=Wraith Squad=-
TRP/PFC D'har/4SQD/1PLT/1COM/1BAT/VEA/VE/Nar Shaddaa

*92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music,
copy and paste this into your signature.*

{Official VE Zombie Expert}

www.pointedstick.chaosmagic.com
C-3PX2
ComNet Novice

C-3PX2

[VE-NAVY] Crewman

Post Number:  41
Total Posts:  619
August 17, 2006 5:26:40 PM    View the profile of C-3PX2 
Anyone notice that were on page 3 of this topic...

-----------------------
There is nothing wrong with fear.
You need never be ashamed of it, as long as it dosen't stop you functioning.
Fear is your natural warning system; it keeps you alive so that you can can fight.
Show me a man who isn't afraid, and i'll show you a fool who is a danger to his entire ship.
============
92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music,
copy and paste this into your signature.

============
TRN /CRW C-3PX2 /Train'n Sqd , Not Placed /No Wing /No Ship /Train'n Flt /VEN /VE /(aviation certificates) , No Medals
============
CJ
ComNet Cadet

CJ

Post Number:  238
Total Posts:  240
August 17, 2006 5:34:57 PM    View the profile of CJ 
Just because you are older does not make you 'Wiser' but it may make you 'know' more than me. But fine, I don't care. Either way you do not speak for everyone on this topic. But I was just suggesting, not telling everyone to do it.

-----------------------
DarkDragoons
TRP/PFC CJ/3SQD/1PLT/1COM:/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE [LoR]

Fear over Peace.
Anger over Honor.
Power over Justice.
Darkness over Light.
D'har Leth
ComNet Initiate

D'har Leth

Post Number:  168
August 17, 2006 5:58:54 PM    View the profile of D'har Leth 
In general, being older does make you wiser, but I'm not much older than you, I'm in ninth grade.  I said that I'm wiser because I explore all sides of a subject and say I'm smarter because I have the ability to question.

-----------------------
-=Wraith Squad=-

*92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music,

Yoder
ComNet Cadet

Yoder

Post Number:  248
Total Posts:  486
August 17, 2006 6:19:28 PM    View the profile of Yoder 
All right i've finnally gotten to a topic that I can relate too.
1. the only thing c j is right bout is the three biology problems on creation.
2.D'har you are quite right you must explore both sides to find the answer or a better chance of winning a argument.
3.live your life as if it was your last day when you have something extremly deadly but do not break the laws unless it is your final days.
4.The world will most likely be destroyed(people and/or planet) be either someone taking over the world its not really hard only complicated and it would take decades maybe a couple of your familys generations.(if they are as smart/smarter than you)Or the sun dying 4-5 billion years from now (oh and for christan's/anything on christan branch, god said only he would know when the revelation would start and end not even jesus knew, in other word he could let it start before the sun died by a fractional amount of time then destroy it with the sun dying.)( yes I have read the revelation.)

-----------------------
trp/pfc
Wraith Squad
Yoder/4SQD/1PLT/1COM/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE/LoR

Wraith Motto: When staring in the face of death, we see our reflection.
Monster Hunter for the VE" I hunt any monster, or mutant ,zombie, vampire, were(insert creature),and anything else just give me a call."
Master Swordman(in RL)
Rogueboy
ComNet Member

Rogueboy

[VE-ARMY] Lance Corporal

Post Number:  461
Total Posts:  2089
August 17, 2006 7:02:08 PM    View the profile of Rogueboy 
The way I have always looked at religion is this; god made dinosaurs, god killed dinosaurs, god made man, man killed got, man makes dinosaurs :P - Jurassic Park

Now as to how I really look at religion; god created man after man created god.

-----------------------
He will give them death, and they will love him for it -Gladiator

TRP/LCPL_Rogueboy/1SQD/1PLT/COMP/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE [LoR]
Giovanni Bryden
ComNet Member

Giovanni Bryden

[VE-ARMY] Senior Sergeant

Post Number:  717
Total Posts:  1305
August 17, 2006 7:24:15 PM    View the profile of Giovanni Bryden 
I hate to bring us all into heated debate, but how can the Earth be 6000 years old if carbon dated fossils date back millions of years?

-----------------------
*DarkDragoons*

*Assistant Squad Leader Senior Sergeant Giovanni A. Bryden*

ASL/SSGT Giovanni Bryden/2SQD/2PLT/1COM/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE/[LoR][ES1C]

Whenever death may surprise us, let it be welcome if our battle cry has reached even one receptive ear and another hand reaches out to take up our arms.

Arturus
ComNet Expert

Arturus

[VE-NAVY] 2nd Lieutenant

Post Number:  1520
Total Posts:  2143
August 17, 2006 9:19:27 PM    View the profile of Arturus 
Simple Gio, because scientists are all conspiring together in a great lie to destroy religion and undermine the power of God.  Humans lived with the dinosaurs, you know that.  It's time we end this grand conspiracy and spread the enlightened truth.

(end of sarcasm)

-----------------------
WAJ/2LT Corran "Arturus" Hargraves/M-SSD Atrus/VE/VEN/(=A=)(=SA=)(=*MA*=)(=JCPA=)(=SCPA=)[MC:1](x2)[SV][BRC][VC:B][CBV][GWC][LSM][LoC]

"The way of war is a way of deception. When able, feign inability; when deploying troops, appear not to be. When near, appear far; when far, appear near. Lure with bait; strike with chaos. If the enemy is full, be prepared. If strong, avoid him. If he is angry, disconcert him. If he is weak, stir him to pride. If he is relaxed, harry him; if his men are harmonious, split them. Attack where he is unprepared; appear where you are unexpected. This is victory in warfare; it cannot be divulged in advance. Victory belongs to the side that scores most in the temple calculations before battle. Most spells victory; least spells defeat; none, surer defeat. I see it in this way, and the outcome is apparent." -- Sun Tzu

"Ultimate excellence lies not in winning every battle but in defeating the enemy without ever fighting." -- Sun Tzu
[This message has been edited by Arturus (edited August 17, 2006 9:19:41 PM)]
[This message has been edited by Arturus (edited August 17, 2006 9:19:49 PM)]
Yoder
ComNet Cadet

Yoder

Post Number:  250
Total Posts:  486
August 17, 2006 9:29:20 PM    View the profile of Yoder 
Whoa I didn't try to bring religion back into dicussion you people brought it there I only did what I could post there.
EDIT: ( Oh and the bible never said exactly when earth was made it says god made it in six days, then it never said anything after some time about the time he could have taken a couple billion years break.)
-----------------------
trp/pfc
Wraith Squad
Yoder/4SQD/1PLT/1COM/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE/LoR

Wraith Motto: When staring in the face of death, we see our reflection.
Monster Hunter for the VE" I hunt any monster, or mutant ,zombie, vampire, were(insert creature),and anything else just give me a call."
Master Swordman(in RL)
[This message has been edited by Yoder (edited August 17, 2006 9:31:40 PM)]
[This message has been edited by Yoder (edited August 17, 2006 9:33:54 PM)]
Arturus
ComNet Expert

Arturus

[VE-NAVY] 2nd Lieutenant

Post Number:  1522
August 17, 2006 9:40:08 PM    View the profile of Arturus 
If you believe that some diety created the earth according to the bible then I think you would be wise to believe it happened in six period of time rather than 24 hour days.  That would make the most sense...

-----------------------
WAJ/2LT Corran "Arturus" Hargraves/M-SSD Atrus/VE/VEN/(=A=)(=SA=)(=*MA*=)(=JCPA=)(=SCPA=)[MC:1](x2)[SV][BRC][VC:B][CBV][GWC][LSM][LoC]

"The way of war is a way of deception. When able, feign inability; when deploying troops, appear not to be. When near, appear far; when far, appear near. Lure with bait; strike with chaos. If the enemy is full, be prepared. If strong, avoid him. If he is angry, disconcert him. If he is weak, stir him to pride. If he is relaxed, harry him; if his men are harmonious, split them. Attack where he is unprepared; appear where you are unexpected. This is victory in warfare; it cannot be divulged in advance. Victory belongs to the side that scores most in the temple calculations before battle. Most spells victory; least spells defeat; none, surer defeat. I see it in this way, and the outcome is apparent." -- Sun Tzu

"Ultimate excellence lies not in winning every battle but in defeating the enemy without ever fighting." -- Sun Tzu
D'har Leth
ComNet Initiate

D'har Leth

Post Number:  170
August 17, 2006 10:15:39 PM    View the profile of D'har Leth 
And again I point to the Flying Spaghetti Monster, who in His infinite flour-based wisdom created the world with his noodly appendage.

-----------------------
-=Wraith Squad=-

Trevor Evenson
ComNet Member

Trevor Evenson

[VE-NAVY] Senior Chief Petty Officer

Post Number:  321
Total Posts:  860
August 18, 2006 12:07:34 AM    View the profile of Trevor Evenson 
Ah religion...This debate will never end, but thats not going to stop me from adding my own points to it. Sadly, some will flame me (D`har, Giovanni, ect), while other may be a little more open to it.

Art, I am Christian, and as for ceation over 6 'days'..I beleive it. Maybe not 24 hour 'days', but whatever. For all we know, God could have called a billion years a 'day'. I`m not saying thats what happened, so i don`t excpect to be quoted on it. Actually, if someone quotes me on that, then they are proving to me more that they are just using religion and my views on it as a point to argue, rather then using the information I have provided as a point for starting on some reasonable and open minded thinking.

I beleieve someone said that in Revelation it mentions 'stars falling from the sky'. Well, I`m sure you also know perfectly well that when some people see a metior (sp?) burning up in the earth`s atmosphere, they call it a 'falling star'. Perhaps the referance was not to actual stars, but perhaps to asteriods raining down on the earth? Again, don`t quote me. I am far from a bible scholor, and I am just trying to throw some open-minded ideas onto the table.

Does the Bible include a lot of symbalisom, sure it does. I won`t deny that. It has a great deal of it. Does it also contain truth? I like to think that. Notice how I don`t say 'I like to think that and then enforce it on others unrelentlessly.' That is my opinion, thinking that there are truths in the Bible. Don`t go flaming me for that either.

Now for a quick bout on evolution and the big-bang theory. Do I think they happened? Yes actually. Being Christian and beleiving this obviously would provoke disgrunteled remarks from both sides, but here is the way I see it. Remember, this is how I see this. If you wish to make an open-minded and educated remark on the following, go for it. Do NOT just say 'no, you`re wrong, ect ect' and begin flaming.

I beleive that from whichever side you look at it, the big-bang theory could logicaly fit. From a Christian point of view, seeing as the Bible says God made everything out of nothing, maybe the big bang is what happened when God created everything in the universe. From an evolutionist/scientific point of view, maybe the big bang was what happened when all matter in the universe exploded itself and spread out and the planets formed and everything.

As for Evolution. As with evolutionists, I beleive that a species can 'evolve' itself, gaining skills and/or adaptations it needs to survive. I beleive that these are God-given though, resulting from when whatever is evolving was placed in a different environment and needed to find a way to sustain the species before dieing out. Evolutionists beleive that the animals develop these adaptations or behaviours on their own. Now, as to whether or not this happens, I can`t say. Does it happen that an animal may change its behaviour to better suit the environment it is placed in? Sure. Of course it happens. Now, as to whether or not the animal does all of this on its own or if the changes are God-given, I do not know.

There is my attempt at an open-minded discussion and presentation of points on that subject. I hope I have not offended anyone with my ideas. If you have any corrections to make (that are of course, educated and reasonable, not just things you are saying to continue the argument) go ahead and present them (In an educated and polite way ).

Let us end the flame-war here, and stop completly, or at least begin and open-minded discussion of the subject. No more religious/beleif flaming, alright?

As for the world ending, as many have said, when it happens, it happens. We`ll either be dead before it happens, or die so quickly when it happens that we won`t have time to worry about it. I just hope I die doing something I enjoy if it happens during my lifetime.

-----------------------
FL/MCPO/Trevor Evenson/Nazgul 9(3-1)/Wing 1/mSSD Atrus/DEF/VEN/VE/(=*A*=)[VC:B][SWC]

The VEN`s #1 writer as of ESC `06
Giovanni Bryden
ComNet Member

Giovanni Bryden

Post Number:  718
August 18, 2006 12:14:01 AM    View the profile of Giovanni Bryden 
No flaming from me. I was once a pretty devout catholic. I just started to question everything I was taught when I began to weigh my beliefs against scientific evidence. I just happen to be the kind of person that believes what he sees, and doubts what he doesnt. If you aren't that kind of person, more power to you. I respect you for sticking to your faith despite the ciriticism of others.

-----------------------
*DarkDragoons*

Whenever death may surprise us, let it be welcome if our battle cry has reached even one receptive ear and another hand reaches out to take up our arms.

Rogueboy
ComNet Member

Rogueboy

[VE-ARMY] Lance Corporal

Post Number:  464
August 18, 2006 12:19:41 AM    View the profile of Rogueboy 
....I want whatever he's drinking. The only thing that ticks me off is when people will never admit to being wrong, (not saying in this topic there is a right) but just in general, Im sure we all know someone who thinks they are always right even though facts and faith show otherwise.

-----------------------

CJ
ComNet Cadet

CJ

Post Number:  239
August 18, 2006 1:35:07 AM    View the profile of CJ 
In actual fact the bible records how long important men lived and it is throught creationist scientists find the earth's average age. Posts earlier I totally rejected evolution, doesn't that give you a clue the earth hasn't even come close to being a million years let alone billions? (now they are saying trillions) How can you possibly think we all came out of nothing? If there was nothing there never would be anything. By the way, do any of you actually know how complex our bodies are? Do you know how complex cells are for that matter!? It's exactly like saying:

"A few billion years ago there was nothing. Suddenly, a few million years ago there was a pile of metal and rubber. Then, out of the blue, a few hundred thousand years ago, there was a small push bike! Then a few thousand years ago, a great men's bike had formed! Now, there stands a pw50 motor bike evolving by the second!

You see how stupid that sounds? That's how stupid evolution is.

Those of you who are talking about this are acting like we were made (or evolved) for nothing. You guys are acting like we aren't special, we are just life forms along with the rest of the universe about to be destroyed and start life all over again.

Even though I keep on rejecting evolution you guys keep claiming that things are gunna happen in the next 'blah blah blah' hundreds of thousands/tens of thousands/thousands of years. If you all just don't want to beleive that there was a master creator, who made us all special and loves us even though we sin against him, then tell me to shut up and I will never bring up the subject again. But remember this, God's brain is unimaginable, it is sooo big. Our brains are a big as a rock. God created you, so there is no way you can mock him. It would be like mocking your father or mother saying to them: "Hahaha, you didn't create me! Evolution did! I evolved from nothing! You are just made up by loosers who want to think they are special!".

Please have a think about what I have said before you brush me off, maybe kick me off the VE or make fun of me or my Lord.

-----------------------
DarkDragoons

Fear over Peace.
Anger over Honor.
Power over Justice.
Darkness over Light.
Kami
ComNet Member

Kami

[VE-ARMY] Gunnery Sergeant
[VE-DJO] Dark Jedi Knight

Post Number:  873
Total Posts:  1884
August 18, 2006 2:31:38 AM    View the profile of Kami 
Why would you be kicked from the VE?

I think everyone needs to calm down, stop taking things so personally and learn to agree to disagree. A little debate is nice, but this thread is getting nasty.

-----------------------
Raiders
PA/GSG_Kami/3SQD/1PLT/1XOM/1RGT/1BAT/VEA/VE/Tadath [LoR][CoR][IG][GCA][BC]
|| DJK Dark Jedi Order || Krath || Vast Empire ||
-=Surrender to your darkest dreams, and you'll live as you've never lived before=-
+ Advance Recon Commandos {ARC} +
Mykill Doomslayer
ComNet Initiate

Mykill Doomslayer

[VE-NAVY] Crewman

Post Number:  111
Total Posts:  187
August 18, 2006 4:12:16 AM    View the profile of Mykill Doomslayer 
Just to remind everyone,THIS WAS AN ACCIDENTAL POST.I'm so glad you all are having such a good time reflecting and arguing upon the facts of Armegeddon and the last days of Earth. I,personally, am disheartened by the actual arguing amoungst us all. Which furthermore just expounds upon the fact that the world is ending.  Everyone here has made very valid points. Be it an asteroid and to go on to  John the Baptist and John the Disciple and the book of Revelation. It doesn't really matter. Evis says "Just chill".  We as a sociaty CAN'T. C3XP2 JAK  all say kick back and relax YODER? Your cool man. C.J. you are my brother. D'har you to know what I'm talking about. Thar Sion  you too!! sir have made reference to the bible. You can talk about  asteroids alll day long ,but WE KNOW WHAT THE END of the world meanns goitta go bye

-----------------------
"my soul was cast into the vastness of space for my fear of loneliness" Chronicles of Mykill Doomslayer bk III>chpt 6
Eviscares
ComNet Member

Eviscares

[VE-ARMY] Corporal

Post Number:  376
Total Posts:  445
August 18, 2006 4:43:29 AM    View the profile of Eviscares 
Normally I wouldn't have done this, but you really call for it CJ, as you are quite missionary in your Statements. My father grew up in a christian household and studied to be a preacher, I grew up in a christian household, so I quite know the things you are talking about.
I don't want to offend you beliefs, merely your line of arguments is a bit of imho.

So would you would you please be tolerant and keep your belief out of the VE, at least in this way. It's one thing to state: "I'm christian, I believe in what the Bible tells me about the last days" and completely another to start evangelising here. If they don't believe in your god, just shut it.
Everyone has a right to believe in what he wants, and we are a enlightened society, so maybe we should act like that. So telling people that they are stupid or misleaded is... a little offensive imho.
If you want to think that I just made fun of your beliefs, go ahead and cry me a river because frankly I don't really care. If you read this and act mature (i.e. not just reposting about how I am a heretic or stuff) congrats.

-----------------------

Raiders

Iron Horse Squad forever in my heart!

TRP/CPL_Eviscares/3SQD/1PLT/1COM/1RGT/1BAT/VEA/VE/Tadath [LoR]
Arturus
ComNet Expert

Arturus

[VE-NAVY] 2nd Lieutenant

Post Number:  1523
August 18, 2006 6:08:53 AM    View the profile of Arturus 
First of all despite my sarcasm and the fact that I won't even hide my, shall we say frustration, with people who take the bible literally, I am a practicing Catholic; I just believe you can't think rationally.  I do not believe in the definition of God that the Church forces down upon us nor do I believe with most of its theology but I do believe in the principles.  For my the Church leaders engage in an exercise of sheer arrogance claiming they know what God is.  God is infinitely complex beyond the grasp of human comprehension.  The Church sells us God as an elderly man in the sky who we can pray to to intervene.  In otherwords he is really nothing more than a security system in their eyes and this is used in a cynically paternalistic fashion in order to keep people under their sway.  I do not believe God is some kind of ultra super personwho will intervene in our lives (to think he will suddenly intervene in your life is arrogant and foolhearty), but rather some more like what the Church describes as the Holy Spirit.  People have long created "God" as the person who created the universe but it doesn't necessarily have to be a person.  I believe it is far more complex than that and that we will never understand what God is though life, if you choose, can be a quest to try and understand how "he" works.

Now more to the point.  First, I can't believe you actually think scientists are wrong with their carbon dating when we consistently learn from many different scientists for decades that the earth is at least several million years old.  That is science; science is the most pure and rational form of human activity.  If you apply what the bible says who is to say six days means six days.  Six days could mean six periods of a billion years.  Who are you to say how long it took God?  You pontificate as if you know all but your arrogance greatly undermines your point.  Are you seriously trying to tell us that you know what and how God has done all of this.  I can't decide if you are just a fool or almost frightenly condescending for a person who is all of 12.

I'll provide an alternative view of evolution CJ.  Considering that the bible is a figurative and metaphorical work let's consider the concept of seven days.  Historically seven has been an important number.  Even today seven is considering a lucky number.  As a result, the fact that a week was created to have seven days would not at all be surprising (yes men actually choose how long a week would be) because of the qualities of the number which is why you see it exist in many countries long before the Judeo-Christian belief system reached it.  When you look at the Judeo-Christian belief system it would not be surprising that this important number of the ancient world would be applied to the period of creation and then used to explain why the week would have seven days.

Time for some evidence and since Wiki has a good article on this Wiki it will be since I feel like copying and pasting rather than writing it out.

"Origin of the seven-day week

The seven-day week became established in both the West and East according to different paths:
[edit]

Babylonian, Hindu, and Jewish seven-day week

* Hindu civilization is known to have had the concept of seven-day week with instances in the Ramayana, a sacred epic written in Sanskrit about 300 BC, in which there is a mention of Bhanu-vaar meaning Sunday, Soma-vaar meaning Moon-day and so forth.
    * The ancient Babylonians are known to have observed a seven-day week; each day dedicated to a different deity. The significance of seven comes from Babylonian astronomy. There are the seven heavenly bodies or luminaries normally visible to the naked eye (the Sun, Moon, and 5 visible planets), and they associated each with a deity.

* Other theories speculate that the fixed seven-day period is a simplification of a quarter of a lunar month.

The Hebrew and therefore Christian 7 day week corresponds to the creation of earth in 6 days and the seventh being a day of rest.
[edit]

Chinese seven-day week

The Chinese use of the seven day week (and thus Korean, Japanese, Tibetan, and Vietnamese use) traces back to the 600's AD, when the concept of the seven "luminaries" of Babylonia spread to China. The days were assigned to each of the luminaries, but the week did not affect social life or the official calendar. It is mostly kept in astrological purposes and cited in several Buddhist texts until the Jesuits reintroduced the concept in the 16th century. Thus the 19th century Japanese, when encountering Europeans for the first time, were surprised to find their own names for the days of the week corresponded to the English names (and in fact were better preservations of the original Babylonian concepts, the English day names having been conflated with gods from Germanic mythology). By contrast, the Japanese names refer to the Chinese Sun, Moon, and the five planets. The only difference is that the planets in the Japanese week have Chinese names based on the 'Five Elements' (not including Sun and Moon) rather than pagan gods.[2]"

If we look at the number 7 we see the following:

"In religion

* A highly symbolic number in the Torah, alluding to the infusion of spirituality and Godliness into the Creation. For example:

1. God rested on and sanctified the 7th day (Shabbat)
  2. A seven-day purification period is required for one who has become tamei to become tahor
  3. The Shemittah (Sabbatical) year arrives every 7th year
  4. The Jubilee (Yovel) year comes after 7 times 7 years
  5. The Counting of the Omer leading up to the Giving of the Torah is expressed as "7 times 7 weeks"

* The weekly Torah portion is divided into seven aliyahs, and seven men or boys over the age of 13 are called up for the reading of these aliyahs during Shabbat morning services
    * Seven blessings are recited under the chuppah during a Jewish wedding ceremony
    * A Jewish bride and groom are feted with seven days of festive meals after their wedding, known as Sheva Berachot ("Seven Blessings")
    * The number of Ushpizzin (also known as the "Seven Shepherds") who visit the sukkah during the holiday of Sukkot: Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Joseph, Moses, Aaron, and David
    * The number of nations God told the Israelites they would displace when they entered the land of Israel (Deut. 7:1): the Hittite, the Girgashite, the Amorite, the Canaanite, the Perizzite, the Hivite, and the Jebusite
    * In Breslov tradition, the seven orifices of the face (2 eyes, 2 nostrils, 2 ears, and the mouth) are called "The Seven Candles"
    * The number of churches of Asia to which the Book of Revelation is addressed
    * The number of ayat in surat al-Fatiha
    * The number of heavens in Islamic tradition
    * The number of Earths in Islamic tradition
    * The numbers 7, 70, 70,000, etc. are used in Islamic traditions to denote an infinite or high number. In Arabic, 70, 70,000, etc. is used to mean infinite. This is because 1 is the smallest number, 2 is just after 1, 5 and 10 are exact, 4 and 6 are just before and after 5, and 9 is just before 10. This leaves 3, 7, and 8. 8 is closer to the end although it is larger. 8 is also an even number, so divisible by 2. Between 3 and 7, 3 is smaller so 7 is chosen to represent infinite.
    * The number of Seven Virtues: Chastity, Abstinence, Diligence, Liberality, Patience, Kindness, and Humility, and the corresponding Seven Deadly Sins: lust, avarice, envy, pride, sloth, gluttony and wrath
    * The seven terraces of Mount Purgatory (one per deadly sin)
    * The number of sacraments in the Roman Catholic faith
    * The number of palms in an Egyptian Sacred Cubit
    * The number of heads of the beast of the Book of Revelation, and of some other monsters, like the hydra
    * The minor symbol number of yang from the Taoist yin-yang
    * The number of times Cain will be avenged upon for the murder of his brother Abel
    * The number of ranks in Mithraism
    * The number seven is of particular significance within Cherokee cosmology
    * In the Bible, the number seven is the perfect number, six is imperfect.

[edit]

In mythology

* In Khasi mythology, the seven divine women who were left behind on earth and became the ancestresses of all humankind
    * The number of gateways traversed by Inanna during her descent into the underworld
    * The number of sleeping men in the Christian myth of the "Seven Sleepers"
    * The number of sages in Hindu mythology. Their wives are the goddesses referred to as the "Seven Mothers""

So what we see is that the number 7 is very important and that it was clearly applied to the week.  This does not mean that the world was created in seven days.  Remember, early mythology/theology came about as a way to explain who we are and how we got here.  Remember, the bible was not written the second the world was made; people wrote the bible.  Given the importance of the number seven it is not surprising that seven periods of time would be applied to the evolution of God's creation and this was then mapped onto contemporary time keeping in the form of the seven day week in the Hebrew tradition which relives the period of God's creation symbolically.  You ridicule those who argue that life evolved over a million years saying it sounds ridiculous.  You claim it all was created in 168 hours.  Which sounds more ridiculous?  Interpreting the symbolism as seven periods of time further divided into six periods of creation and the final period being rest, then begins to reconcile theology and science.  The universe and life on earth may have evolved over seven periods of time.

What irratates me to no end is when people read without thinking and take what they read as a perfect testimony of what is.  Understanding that the bible is full of sympolism, figuratives, and metaphors allows everyone to take a greater understanding about the messages within it.  Placing it in historical context as the bible itself evolved (again written by men not faxed from God) also assists with a greater understanding of the metaphors and images.  Deliberately making yourself ignorant by believing it is the perfect word does us all a disservice.

-----------------------

[This message has been edited by Arturus (edited August 18, 2006 10:39:19 AM)]
Darr-Rann
ComNet Member

Darr-Rann

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant
[VE-VEEC] Reporter

Post Number:  819
Total Posts:  1587
August 18, 2006 7:02:36 AM    View the profile of Darr-Rann 
CJ said:

It's exactly like saying:

"A few billion years ago there was nothing. Suddenly, a few million years ago there was a pile of metal and rubber. Then, out of the blue, a few hundred thousand years ago, there was a small push bike! Then a few thousand years ago, a great men's bike had formed! Now, there stands a pw50 motor bike evolving by the second!

You see how stupid that sounds? That's how stupid evolution is.

No, it isnt.

You see, the materials the bike was made of arent organisms, such as the cells in our body. The rubber and metal dont have DNA. They cant adapt, and slowly, through reproduction, produce a species of bike better suited for it's enviroment.

Debating is fun :P

-----------------------
Raiders
SL/SGT_Darr-Rann/3SQD/1PLT/1COM/1RGT/1BAT/VEA/VE/Tadath [LoR][CoR]
|EXO/WO2_Demonic/Kaph 5/PheonixWing/mSSD Atrus/DEF/VEN/VE| (=*A*=)(=*SA*=)(VC:B)(MC2)(VEB)(DSM)[BWC]-=TOP PILOT=-
SERGEANT
WARRANT OFFICER, 2ND CLASS
one of few - A vast Empire medic
Read Losses of Vandetta by me and Hellra
Flashmaker
CJ
ComNet Cadet

CJ

Post Number:  240
August 18, 2006 7:30:03 AM    View the profile of CJ 
But it's just like a 'complex' form being formed from nothing. Like why didn't we have three or four feet? Or four or six fingers on one hand? Because we only need two feet to walk and five fingers for one hand to grab. You see, we were masterly designed from god. Evolution is man's theory. I can answer almost every question about god and about how evolution is wrong.

-----------------------
DarkDragoons

Fear over Peace.
Anger over Honor.
Power over Justice.
Darkness over Light.
[This message has been edited by CJ (edited August 18, 2006 7:47:41 AM)]
CJ
ComNet Cadet

CJ

Post Number:  241
August 18, 2006 7:46:52 AM    View the profile of CJ 
Evolution is meaning like we are gaining information and evolving but that is wrong. The so called mutant humans in the world are only diformed because their body has lost information. You compare our bodies to the oldest preserved body in the world and you will either find a bit more information in it's body than in ours or the same.

One more thing.

Many people are under the false impression that carbon dating proves that dinosaurs and other extinct animals lived millions of years ago. What many do not realize is that carbon dating is not used to date dinosaurs.

The reason? Carbon dating is only accurate back a few thousand years. So if scientists believe that a creature lived millions of years ago, then they would need to date it another way.

But there is the problem. They assume dinosaurs lived millions of years ago (instead of thousands of years ago like the bible says). They ignore evidence that does not fit their preconceived notion.

What would happen if a dinosaur bone were carbon dated? - At Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Scientists dated dinosaur bones using the Carbon dating method. The age they came back with was only a few thousand years old.

This date did not fit the preconceived notion that dinosaurs lived millions of years ago. So what did they do? They threw the results out. And kept their theory that dinosaurs lived "millions of years ago" instead.

This is common practice.

They then use potassium argon, or other methods, and date the fossils again.

They do this many times, using a different dating method each time. The results can be as much as 150 million years different from each other! - how's that for an "exact" science?

They then pick the date they like best, based upon their preconceived notion of how old their theory says the fossil should be (based upon the Geologic column).

So they start with the assumption that dinosaurs lived millions of years ago, then manipulate the results until they agree with their conclusion.

Their assumptions dictate their conclusions.

So why is it that if the date doesn't fit the theory, they change the facts?

Unbiased science changes the theory to support the facts. They should not change the facts to fit the theory.

-----------------------
DarkDragoons

Fear over Peace.
Anger over Honor.
Power over Justice.
Darkness over Light.
[This message has been edited by CJ (edited August 18, 2006 7:49:15 AM)]
Darr-Rann
ComNet Member

Darr-Rann

[VE-ARMY] Sergeant
[VE-VEEC] Reporter

Post Number:  820
Total Posts:  1587
August 18, 2006 8:04:20 AM    View the profile of Darr-Rann 
CJ Said:

But it's just like a 'complex' form being formed from nothing. Like why didn't we have three or four feet? Or four or six fingers on one hand? Because we only need two feet to walk and five fingers for one hand to grab. You see, we were masterly designed from god. Evolution is man's theory. I can answer almost every question about god and about how evolution is wrong.

The "Because we only need this many." argument actually supports evolution. Evolution is the adaptation of organisms to their surroundings. The organism only needed two feet to walk, so it only evolved into a being with two feet. You say Evolution is man's theory - I make the argument God is man's fiction.

CJ also said:

Many people are under the false impression that carbon dating proves that dinosaurs and other extinct animals lived millions of years ago. What many do not realize is that carbon dating is not used to date dinosaurs.

The reason? Carbon dating is only accurate back a few thousand years. So if scientists believe that a creature lived millions of years ago, then they would need to date it another way.

But there is the problem. They assume dinosaurs lived millions of years ago (instead of thousands of years ago like the bible says). They ignore evidence that does not fit their preconceived notion.

What would happen if a dinosaur bone were carbon dated? - At Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Scientists dated dinosaur bones using the Carbon dating method. The age they came back with was only a few thousand years old.

This date did not fit the preconceived notion that dinosaurs lived millions of years ago. So what did they do? They threw the results out. And kept their theory that dinosaurs lived "millions of years ago" instead.

This is common practice.

They then use potassium argon, or other methods, and date the fossils again.

They do this many times, using a different dating method each time. The results can be as much as 150 million years different from each other! - how's that for an "exact" science?

They then pick the date they like best, based upon their preconceived notion of how old their theory says the fossil should be (based upon the Geologic column).

So they start with the assumption that dinosaurs lived millions of years ago, then manipulate the results until they agree with their conclusion.

Their assumptions dictate their conclusions.

So why is it that if the date doesn't fit the theory, they change the facts?

Unbiased science changes the theory to support the facts. They should not change the facts to fit the theory.

The fact that they are buried under ground doesnt say anything? Or let me guess, god dug up the ground and put them there? Hah.

Also, the fact that we have oil supplies under ground says something. Oil is from the carbons of creatures, and is created by a process that takes years and years. Explain that.

-----------------------
Raiders
SL/SGT_Darr-Rann/3SQD/1PLT/1COM/1RGT/1BAT/VEA/VE/Tadath [LoR][CoR]
|EXO/WO2_Demonic/Kaph 5/PheonixWing/mSSD Atrus/DEF/VEN/VE| (=*A*=)(=*SA*=)(VC:B)(MC2)(VEB)(DSM)[BWC]-=TOP PILOT=-
SERGEANT
WARRANT OFFICER, 2ND CLASS
one of few - A vast Empire medic
Read Losses of Vandetta by me and Hellra
Flashmaker
Than Sion
ComNet Initiate

Than Sion

[VE-NAVY] Master Chief Petty Officer

Post Number:  163
Total Posts:  760
August 18, 2006 9:11:49 AM    View the profile of Than Sion 
Than Sion points CJ to his "Keep the politics in in the political topic."  I also want to state that I am always perfectly calm when I make my debates.  Simply put, I like debating with people just for the fact of stating what I believe in and then defending it in a calm maner.

Now the only person I have really went off on in the whole VE is Jikkyo, no comment beyond that.

Now how do you know if I am actually flaming.  The F word every other sentence would be a good hint. hint. 

-----------------------
EFM/MPO Than Sion/Kaph 6/Wing 1/mSSD Atrus/DEF/VEN/VE(=A=)(=*SA*=)[LoM][VC:B][MC:1][SWC]{VB}
For two fricking games I thought the Precursors were powerful beings of light, then in Wizard of Oz fashion they all look like Daxter!!!  Oh well, at least he got his pants and the girl.
Rogueboy
ComNet Member

Rogueboy

[VE-ARMY] Lance Corporal

Post Number:  465
August 18, 2006 10:03:21 AM    View the profile of Rogueboy 
oh nothing makes my blood boil in a debate except when someone takes something overly personal and starts swearing at everyone, but honestly who read Arts long post?

-----------------------

D'har Leth
ComNet Initiate

D'har Leth

Post Number:  172
August 18, 2006 10:24:36 AM    View the profile of D'har Leth 
Well CJ, you said that you'd shut up if we asked you.  Could you please stop spouting theories that have been pumped into your naive mind, it's getting quite annoying.  I said not to get into the evolution debate, but here we all are.  Nobody said that carbon dating was an exact science, it's a relative science.  They are found in a layer of the earth along with other creatures we have found to exist back then.  But about evolution, the idea is that in a time of intense heat, two superheated particles collided, thus creating planets and solar systems and that other cosmic goodness.  In that creation, bacteria was also created.  Through billions of years, that bacteria became more and more complex, thus creating multi-celled organisms.  These multi-celled organisms began developing new traits which helped them survive.  As most of these were in water, they began taking shape of primitive fish.  As some of the fish began drawing toward land, they begin to take on traits that let them exist on land.  The fish begin to take on the shape of primitive reptiles.  The reptiles begin to grow and take on the shape of dinosaurs.  I'll continue this later and I once again ask you to research evolution without a shield.  If you see room for god in there, good for you, but keep it to yourself.

-----------------------
-=Wraith Squad=-

Arturus
ComNet Expert

Arturus

[VE-NAVY] 2nd Lieutenant

Post Number:  1524
August 18, 2006 10:48:13 AM    View the profile of Arturus 
CJ your entire argument for creationism is logically flawed.  First of all, the Theory of Evolution is indeed a theory.  We cannot prove it completely but there is significant evidence that proves the evolution of species overtime and in particular to changing circumstances and using this and other biological evidence scientists have created a good though not perfect theory.  Having said that, you seem to claim that because the Theory of Evolution has its problems that creationsism is therefore correct.  That couldn't be further from the truth.  Because one thing has flaws does not automatically mean what you believe is therefore correct.  Proving your theory by attempting to disprove another theory does not make yours any more valid.  You have yet to prove anything is correct about your own theory rather than make some rather wild inferences and use disproof as proof.  This is known as an argument from ignorance.  There are problems with our hypothesis therefore you conclude your hypothesis is correct.  In fact there are problems with both hypotheses but so far there is more evidence for evolution than creation.  You have yet to provide us with any proof that God created the universe other than the fact that evolution is a theory (and therefore not a law because of flaws).  Could you give a logical argument supporting your claim?

-----------------------

Kairo
ComNet Member

Kairo

[VE-ARMY] Gunnery Sergeant

Post Number:  926
Total Posts:  1338
August 18, 2006 11:02:09 AM    View the profile of Kairo 
What actual proven evidence is there for Evolution Art? There really isn't any evidence that can't be destroyed by some study. It also goes against the solid proof that the universe is leading towards chaos, not perfection. Science points toward the fact that things are breaking down. The world is running out of resources. The human structure isn't getting better, it is getting worse. This isn't to say that Creationism is right. The thing about Creationism is, there is no solid proof for it besides belief. If the world was created by God, which I believe it was, then there was no one around to see it. And Science is all about observation, technically. So, to beieve Creationism, is exactly that, to believe. We can't prove it, just as Evolution can't be solidly proven either. To apply science, someone would had to have observed either the creation or evolution, and therefore it is impossible to apply Science to Creation or Evolution, since you can't observe either. Both is a belief system in the end, and debating over it as if they can be scientifically proven is improper, because then you are trying to merge philosophy with Science.

As a side note, I think both this thread and the Iraq/Iran thread should be taken out of the VE. This is a place for fun, especially the lounge thread, and both of these "descussions" are annoying people, sucking the fun out of part of the club, pushing people apart, and all around destroying some of the unity in the club. I think that if you guys want to continue your "debates," then move them to some other forum, please.

-----------------------
Gunnery Sergeant Kairo
Platoon Commander

PC/GSG Kairo/2PLT/1COMP/1BAT/1RGT/Tadath/VEA/VE [CDS][BoA][CoR][BC][CoV]

Know your enemy and know yourself, and you will be victorious in ten thousand battles.
You may forget the past, but it always has a way of haunting your future.
Men can die, but a symbol is eternal.
[This message has been edited by Kairo (edited August 18, 2006 11:05:19 AM)]
[This message has been edited by Kairo (edited August 18, 2006 11:07:50 AM)]
Cosmic
ComNet Lord

Cosmic

[VE-ARMY] Major General
[VE-DJO] Krath Prophet(ess)
[VE-VEEC] Chief Editor

Post Number:  4759
Total Posts:  7772
August 18, 2006 12:34:03 AM    View the profile of Cosmic 
CJ, loving your religion is important. I'm a Catholic myself (Christian), so God is important in my life. To some He's not. It's just their opinion.

To say that you're a Christian and know absolutely everything about what's going to happen, I find that hard to believe. A lot of clergymen have speculations and what they have interpreted from The Bible. So, to be saying the things that you are (that you're Christian, etc.), and then to say a few posts later "I'm not Catholic or anything" just shows me that you have a one-sided view. There are many Christians out there with numerous interpretations. Doesn't mean all of them are wrong or all of them are right.

No one is going to kick you from the VE, but each of us has their own view on religion, and to keep things cool in this club, we keep those opinions to ourselves.

-----------------------
Cleric "Cosmic" Vor'soth
CoT/MG Cosmic/HCA-3/SL/Drill Squad/Tadath/VEA/VE
[OPE][OTH][OPA][EW1][CDS][IH][GS][LM][SoS][CRoM][CoH][PoC][MSM][SCP][SoA][IOC]
-----------------------
Cleric "Cosmic" Vor'soth
SL/KPR Cosmic/Lion 1-1/Lopen/VEDJ/VE
[VP][WoS2][KC1][SoY][EoP][OAK]
-----------------------
[This message has been edited by Cosmic (edited August 18, 2006 12:34:33 AM)]
[This message has been edited by Cosmic (edited August 18, 2006 12:35:07 AM)]
Giovanni Bryden
ComNet Member

Giovanni Bryden

Post Number:  720
August 18, 2006 12:51:14 AM    View the profile of Giovanni Bryden 
For goodness sake, let's eat some cake.

(END OF THREAD)

-----------------------
*DarkDragoons*

ComNet > Neutral Messages > Archived Lounge > the end of life as we know it  |  New Posts    
  Pages:  [ 1 2 3 4 5 ]   

All times are CST. The time now is 8:21:32 PM
Comnet Jump:

Current Online Members - 0  |  Guests - 128  |  Bots - 3

< Contact Us - The Vast Empire >