ComNet Member

Avalar

[VE-DJO] Initiate
[VE-NAVY] Senior Chief Petty Officer

Post Number:  747
Total Posts:  786
  RE: Creating a safe space
December 20, 2015 8:51:52 PM    View the profile of Avalar 
Just real quick because I was reminded of this, and this ties into the other topic of the army and navy getting along better.

We also need to be generally careful about talking about others in public places or even in private regardless of if they are currently in the VE or were in the past. I work in ministry, and we work hard on avoiding gossip and only addressing problems for what they are but always striving to love every person no matter who they are and what burdens they might bear. We are also encouraged that if we absolutely need to get something off of our chest we seek the advice of someone outside of our work so as not to create strife between staff members or to create a negative image in front of our students and thus divide them.

We need to always be aware of the line and just like racism, sexual comments, etc. gossip is also divisive.

I know this is probably a bit of a 'duh' moment, but I realized that of everything we mentioned, we haven't specifically addressed a problem I've felt we've had a lot in the past.
SCPO | Makenna "Avalar" | FM | 175th Aurora Squadron | 27th Phoenix Wing | 2nd Fleet | SFC | VEN | VE

[SoA]  [MC1]  [CC: W]  [DSM] x2  [CBV]  [CC: D]  [CNQST]  [WM1]

TRN | INI Zarya | VEDJ | VE
Aeos
ComNet Sage

Aeos

[VE-ARMY] Captain
[VE-DJO] Dark Jedi Warrior
[VE-ICS] Pirate Overseer
[VE-VEEC] Engineer

Post Number:  3065
Total Posts:  3141
December 21, 2015 4:11:17 AM    View the profile of Aeos 
I absolute love what Avalar just brought up.
Definitely agreed.

http://www.vastempire.com/wiki/index.php?title=Aeos
[LoR][ESC1][ES2C][CoR][CoS][SC][EW:1][RCoD][GRoM][GRP][CCA][GC][KAD][MRT]

Qualified Combat Engineer
SM|DJR Aeos|Krath|Shades|Raven 5|VEDJ

CPO_Aeos/(=*A*=)][MC1](=*SA*=)
Havock
ComNet Disciple

Havock

[VE-ARMY] Brigadier General
[VE-DJO] Krath Priest(ess)
[VE-ICS] Intelligence Agent
[VE-VEHC] Brigadier General*

Post Number:  2303
Total Posts:  2413
December 21, 2015 7:50:43 AM    View the profile of Havock 
Yes totally agreed, negativity has a way of breeding quickly, we should try our best to make this a positive fun experience for everyone.
Prefect of the Army
PRF | BGN Ayme 'Havock' Katash | VEA | VE

[EW1] [RoT] [RoM] [CRoM] [CoH] [RCoD] [PoC]
{HoTC} {KAD} {GC} {GS} {RES} {MRT}
(ESC09) (AoT) (DoH-P) (AS-4) (A13) (A5) (1.1) (1.2)
(KC2) (SoY)
Gurlanin
ComNet Member
Imperial Supporter

Gurlanin

Post Number:  721
Total Posts:  757
December 21, 2015 11:16:14 AM    View the profile of Gurlanin 
Could be an idea, then to encourage Navy people to talk to Army volunteers and vice versa? That way, it's outside of the chain of command.
SCO | SCPO Gurlanin | Iron One | S:58 "Strill" | W:101 "Blade" | ISD II "Paragon" | TF: Aurek | 2nd Fleet | SC | VEN | VE

Imperial Network Star Wars Image
Imperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars Image
Imperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars Image

(=*TG*=)
{GrAt}{AFM}{Infl}{SFT}{Gunn}{Shut}{Slice}{0Gee}{XenMA}{Astr}

TO|CPO Gurlanin|PLF "Cappadocious"|VENA|VEN|VE
Aeos
ComNet Sage

Aeos

[VE-ARMY] Captain
[VE-ICS] Pirate Overseer
[VE-VEEC] Engineer

Post Number:  3066
December 21, 2015 11:31:15 AM    View the profile of Aeos 
I think what Avalar meant Gurlin was, in general, we should not participate in gossip that can lead to later ramifications.

Gurlanin
ComNet Member
Imperial Supporter

Gurlanin

Post Number:  723
December 21, 2015 11:36:54 AM    View the profile of Gurlanin 
Oh, of course of course. I just thought it would be easier to resist the temptation if you were talking to someone about a problem involving someone else that you didn't have a direct relationship with.
SCO | SCPO Gurlanin | Iron One | S:58 "Strill" | W:101 "Blade" | ISD II "Paragon" | TF: Aurek | 2nd Fleet | SC | VEN | VE

Imperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars Image
Imperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars Image

(=*TG*=)

Helena
ComNet Member

Helena

[VE-ARMY] Senior Sergeant

Post Number:  503
Total Posts:  508
December 21, 2015 11:37:10 AM    View the profile of Helena 
Confidentiality is the key to "vents" for example, someone might vent about work or work colleagues to another person, we need to make sure there are no complications outside of the VE for doing so etc. I know with a few careers people may have this could be an issue.

It's all about acting like a 'sound board' as I have been putting it. Allowing someone to vent to you and you then pointing them in the right direction. If you then have to act as an advocate and act in best interests within the VE then that's what should happen. Everyone should be helping each other, not a dog eat dog place.

Just want to put that out there.

TRP/SSGT Helena/3SQD/1PLT/1COM/1BAT/1RGT/VEA/VE[ES2][GRP][GRP][ES1][SCA]
Gurlanin
ComNet Member
Imperial Supporter

Gurlanin

Post Number:  724
December 21, 2015 11:38:16 AM    View the profile of Gurlanin 
Totally agree, Helena.

(=*TG*=)

Skarr
ComNet Disciple
Imperial Supporter

Skarr

[VE-ARMY] 1st Lieutenant
[VE-DJO] Journeyman
[VE-ICS] Pirate Swabbie
[VE-VEEC] Word Slinger

Post Number:  2071
Total Posts:  2102
December 21, 2015 11:44:34 AM    View the profile of Skarr 
In addition, I feel we should drop the sort of playful rivalry between the Army and Navy. Because there were certainly times when it didn't feel playful and almost downright spiteful. We can't work together if we have those kind of feelings going around and any newcomers are going to pick up on that.
Gurlanin
ComNet Member
Imperial Supporter

Gurlanin

Post Number:  725
December 21, 2015 11:51:16 AM    View the profile of Gurlanin 
There will always be a sort of rivalry between the divisions. Some competition is healthy. The key is not to let that be our only interactions.

When I first joined the VE in the Navy, the only interactions I had with the Army were in some form of competition. I don't really know anyone from the Army, but I wanted to! I just didn't know how.

Slack has already broken down some barriers, I think, but having a regular interaction would get people mingling with other VE members outside of their usual groups.

(=*TG*=)

Skarr
ComNet Disciple
Imperial Supporter

Skarr

[VE-ARMY] 1st Lieutenant
[VE-DJO] Journeyman
[VE-ICS] Pirate Swabbie
[VE-VEEC] Word Slinger

Post Number:  2073
December 21, 2015 11:54:34 AM    View the profile of Skarr 
I mean, I don't mind the playful teasing, I loved that. But we have to be really careful of what we say. As I had said, sometimes it didn't feel playful. But yeah, I agree. Competition should not be our only interactions.
Aeos
ComNet Sage

Aeos

[VE-ARMY] Captain
[VE-ICS] Pirate Overseer
[VE-VEEC] Engineer

Post Number:  3067
December 21, 2015 12:07:04 AM    View the profile of Aeos 
Lol, which is why I opened this particular can of worms in another thread and joined the Navy channel as well.

But we're all raising some valid reasons and points of concerns and honestly I am damn proud about this discussion because this would not have happened 5 years ago, and it shows we've all definitely come a long way emotionally

Skarr
ComNet Disciple
Imperial Supporter

Skarr

[VE-ARMY] 1st Lieutenant
[VE-DJO] Journeyman
[VE-ICS] Pirate Swabbie
[VE-VEEC] Word Slinger

Post Number:  2074
December 21, 2015 2:44:45 PM    View the profile of Skarr 
My apologies, Ae. I'm still trying to read all the stuff that's been posted since everyone's come back. :P
Trykon
ComNet Sage

Trykon

[VE-NAVY] Rear Admiral

Post Number:  3612
Total Posts:  3784
December 22, 2015 12:51:26 AM    View the profile of Trykon 
A couple thoughts, to catch up with the flow of the conversation:

1.) Gossip is absolutely a divisive, poisonous thing.  That said, I think the campaign against gossip is slightly different than the ones against bullying, sexual harassment, victimization, and discrimination.  Mostly because I think the latter ones are all identifiable, and completely unacceptable.  Gossip is, in some ways, harder to pin down a definition for, and I don't think it's quite as easy to be as black-and-white with disciplinary proceedings.  By all means, we should be discouraging it, stopping ourselves from indulging in it, and calling out others when they gossip, too.  I just don't know if an official Policy should/could be drafted, to cover all gossip.  Gossip is mentioned, however, in the policies already done: if the gossip specifically relates to the proceedings outlined in the policies, it is specifically prohibited.  Beyond that, I think it's largely a matter of modeling good behavior, and communally "moving the needle" about what we find acceptable, in terms of talking about others behind their backs.  General gossip can't be as easily covered by Policy, imo.

2.) The Army-Navy divide in the VE has been identified by virtually everyone as a problem.  None of us knows what form this revival of the VE will ultimately take, but the consensus seems to be for a reboot of the club's canon and IC timeline, and a restructuring of the club's chain of command OOC.  From the conversations I've been having over Slack and various threads, most people seem to think the Stormtroopers and TIE pilots should both be lumped together, as sort of sub-branches of the Imperial Navy.  That more closely matches the Legends canon of what the Imperial Military did in the time of the original trilogy.  And it does a little to counteract this "us-versus-them" attitude that sometimes haunted the VE in the past, OOC.  But a much better way to counteract that, is if members are WRITING TOGETHER.  Again, consensus seems to be building that when we reboot for real, we should focus pretty heavily on joint-forces writing.  We get the troopers and pilots supporting each other, planning with each other, etc.  And we base them all on the same ship and/or installation, so even when they do individual unit stories on their own, they still have a "home" that includes the other members' characters.  Unifying the branches could also look like A) a joint Academy, with B) a shared Basic Training program, and C, a rank system that is much more clearly about OOC contributions to the club, rather than the old way, where rank was sort of also tied to a person's character.  Several people are already discussing these possibilities.
Naval High Command
CNO/Rear Admiral Trykon/NHC/VEN/VE

Second Vast Imperial Fleet
SCAP/RADM Wyl "Trick" Trykon/ISD Adjudicator/TF:A/3Flt/FC/VEN/VE

Decorations
[*IG*][*AO*][WM0][HNS][1NS][2NS][3NS][LSM][BWC][SWC][GWC][PWC][CC:4][CNQST]
[NSM][E][NAR][NDM][MSMx2][SoA][CoB.][VC:B][VC:S][VC:G][VC:E][SoV][LoM][DSM][NC][IGC]

(=*AE*=)(=*SAE*=)(=*TG*=)(=*SCFE*=)(=*FOCE*=)

SM/DWR Trykon/Dark Jedi/Shades/Raven L-04/DJO/VE [EoP]
[This message has been edited by Trick (edited December 22, 2015 12:55:27 AM)]
ComNet > Neutral Messages > Main ComNet > Creating a safe space  |  New Posts     Post New Topic  |  Post Reply
  Pages:  [ 1 2 ]   

All times are CST. The time now is 8:45:19 PM
Comnet Jump:

Current Online Members - 0  |  Guests - 109  |  Bots - 1

< Contact Us - The Vast Empire >