Communications Network
Vast Empire  -  New Posts  -  Search  -  Statistics  -  Login 

ComNet > Imperial Navy > Archived Naval Certifications > Serpent: Interrogation: Ancillary Skill

Author
Topic:  Serpent: Interrogation: Ancillary Skill
Serpent
ComNet Member
Imperial Baronet

Serpent

[VE-NAVY] Lieutenant Commander

Post Number:  958
Total Posts:  1214
  Serpent: Interrogation: Ancillary Skill
July 19, 2013 6:46:25 AM    View the profile of Serpent 
OOC:
This story flows on directly from my Political Subterfuge Ancillary Skill and continues Serpent’s story on Antariah.

With every event the crowds grew.  From town halls up to concert halls and finally to grand outdoor rallies, the popularity of the Antariah Imperialist Party continued to soar.  Everywhere across the moon, which was home to some half a billion sentients, the leaders of the AIP were greeted with hugs and cheers.

Pherik ‘Serpent’ Zail travelled with the Imperialist leadership.  Their charismatic founder and contender to be the next President of Antariah, was former Imperial Army Major Joshal Khamarr.  Over the six weeks since Serpent’s arrival he had worked closely with the Major and begun to develop a deep respect for the man.  Khamarr was well-spoken and intelligent, and seemed also to be that rarest of things, a true believer.  His rhetoric was not merely about him becoming powerful, but about him genuinely believing that Imperialism was the best way forward for his world and people.

Also present on their travels from PR event to PR event was the Imperialist Party’s only currently serving Senator, Eslara Sjhavere.  The cool and composed Zabrak woman was essential in pulling in the crucial non-human vote, but she was more than just an alien face.  Sjhavere had proven to be an adept planner, speaker, and remarkably good at interviews.

Zail worked closely with both, advising where he could, and offering insight on how their policies would match up with Vast Empire law.  He also helped them with funding, moving sizable donations from VENI through several dummy corporations and Antariah’s famous banking system.  The money was invaluable in helping the AIP pay for its ever larger and more elaborate rallies.

At one such rally, some seven weeks before the general election, Serpent was present during one of Khamarr’s speeches.  Zail watched from the sidelines, lurking off-stage and peeking out at the assembled audience.  Thousands had gathered in the streets, bathed in the strange green light of the gas giant Antarak, which Antariah orbited.

Serpent surveyed the audience, noting the increased presence of non-humans.  That was a good sign.  He also saw that many who had turned up were respectfully dressed, being middle-class bankers and office workers.  Also good.  He kept looking and then suddenly his gaze fell on someone and Zail’s eyes widened in shock.

It was Agent Canis from the Imperial Remnant!

The man had gone missing just a week previous, and Serpent had dared to hope that, having failed to secure the allegiance of the Antariah Imperialists, that Canis had retreated and left.  No such luck, though.

Serpent did not pause to wonder what the Imperial Intelligence Agent was up to, he just swung into action.  Running up to event security (most of whom were AIP loyalists who travelled with the party leadership), he snapped off orders quickly.  “That man over there,” He said, pointing.  “Get him out of here now!”

It took a few moments for the security people to identify just which of the thousands of people Zail was pointing at, but once they did, five of the burly bouncers began advancing on Canis from different directions.

Serpent watched the proceedings while Major Khamarr continued his speech in blissful ignorance of the drama unfolding among his audience.  What the frak is Canis doing here?  Zail wondered as the security people closed in.  Alas, they were delayed in their advance by the throng of cheering Imperialist supporters that they had to shove through.

The Imperial Agent glanced about and saw the bouncers headed towards him.  Serpent saw him curse under his breath and then, with a snarl, he advanced his plans.  Canis was standing beside a non-human, one of the few AIP members of Antariah’s small Pantoran population.

Zail could not hear what the Imperial said to the Pantoran, but the alien did not react well.  He turned and snarled something back at Canis, who further escalated the war of words.  By the time the Agent reached for his gun, Serpent knew exactly what was going on.

He’s going to murder a non-human at an AIP event and cause a riot.  If all goes as he plans the he can split the aliens and humans, devastating the chances of the Imperialists winning the election!  Evidently Canis had concluded that if Antariah could not be swung to the Empire, then he would rather it remain with the Republic than join the VE.

Move move move! Zail silently urged the security people, as they closed on Canis.  Serpent felt so helpless, but there was nothing he could do.

Just then, Major Khamarr gave one of his signature energetic, punch-the-air declarations of passionate intent.  Serpent missed the exact words (probably something about fighting corruption or cutting taxes.  The usual way to play to the audience.), but the effect was immediate.  The masses erupted in enthusiastic agreement, some of them raising their arms and clapping wildly.

Fortunately, one such ecstatic supporter was standing just in front of Agent Canis.  When she raised her hands, she accidently caught the Imperial, knocking the gun he was drawing and causing Canis to drop it!

Zail could not believe that such fortune was with them, but it was not over yet.  Canis went straight for the weapon, determined to get the job done.  However, with the audience at fever pitch his movement was severely hampered.  The gun had skidded beneath a chair several people down, and the Imperial began shoving people aside to get to it.

He failed.  Instead his course took him right into one of the event security, who laid a massive restraining hand on the Imperial Agent’s shoulder.  Canis looked like he was about to make a fight of it, but the other bouncers had also closed in.

Serpent breathed a sigh of relief as he realised that it was over.

-----

Zail tried to look cool and composed as he sat in the cold metal chair, one of precisely three items of furniture in the small, featureless room.  A table sat before him, and another steel chair was across from it.  The bland layout matched the design of the room, which had dark grey walls and floor without features.  A single door led the way in, and the room was lit by a single, faded glow panel directly over the table.

The door opened, and the prisoner was brought forth.  Serpent, trying to get into the mindset of a cold and cruel interrogator, did not bother to watch.  Instead he consulted a datapad of notes before him, as two of the security people forced the captive down into the chair opposite him.  Zail heard the clatter of the man’s restraints, and then the footsteps of the two guards departing.

Only then did he look up.

Canis was dressed in dull grey clothes, and he scowled at Serpent with undisguised contempt.  His hands were secured behind his back, and he looked far from comfortable like that.

“Welcome,” Said Zail, putting on a cheerful smile for effect.  “I trust you slept well last night?”

The Imperial did not respond.  So, the silent treatment then? Thought Serpent.  Not that he expected anything.  After Canis’s capture, his legs and arms were slapped in chains and he was thrown into a storage room to stew.  That was 12 hours ago.  Since then, Zail had spent a lot of time setting up two rooms.  This one, for talking, and another one, for imprisoning.

“Let’s start, then,” Continued Serpent.  “Kindly tell me your full name, position in the Empire, and your exact plans for this world.  Oh, and any fellow Agents you may have lurking about that we have not captured yet.”  His oddly cheerful demeanour and openness were part of the routine, and Zail hoped that he was playing it well.

Canis continued to scowl silently.

“Oh, don’t be like that!” Said Pherik, mock hurt.  “If you stay quiet this may not go pleasantly, and I do so hope we can remain civil about all this!”

Now a creepy smile spread over the Imperial Agent’s face.  “Is this the point where you threaten to torture me?”  He asked, breaking his silence.  “I doubt VE scum like you have the balls.”

Serpent grinned and nodded.  “You may be right,” He confessed.  “Torture is probably not my thing.  But then, it’s not yours either, I hear.  Don’t you Imperials get droids to do your persuasion for you?”

Canis made a face, but ignored the slight.

“Oh, no clever come back?” Asked Zail.  “Very well.  Let’s do this then,” And so saying, he reached to his side and produced a metallic ring some 8 inches across.  “You come from a society that allows slavery, don’t you?”  He enquired.  “The VE does not, of course, but the Imperial Dominion did, and when they fell to us we acquired a large number of these wonderful little toys.”

The captive did not look impressed.  “You are going to torture me with a shock collar?” He asked.  “Pathetic.”

Serpent gave a look of surprise.  “Torture?  Well, maybe, but not how you think of it.  See, this will not be a case of me shocking you whenever you say something I don’t like.  Oh no.  That would be far too boring.  All those questions, all that wasted time on my behalf, and all that effort of me repeatedly pressing the red button on the remote.  No no no.”

A hint of something flashed in Canis’s eyes.  Worry?

“Once attached,” Zail went on, “This collar will shock you.  And again automatically thirty seconds later.  And thirty seconds after that.  And after that.  And after that.  Get it?  The pain you undergo will be frequent and relentless.  It won’t be constant enough for you to merely get used to it, though.  Oh, and I won’t turn it off to let you sleep.  I believe the human mind starts to experience mild dementia after 72 hours without true R.E.M. sleep, but I’m thinking you may last a full four days or even longer!”

Now the Imperial Agent did react.  “You’re joking!”

“No, I’m going to a fund-raiser dinner,” Said Serpent, patting his stomach hungrily.  “I have an election to continue working on.  I’m a busy man!  However, I’ll stop by in a few days to see how you are.  Until then!”

And so saying, he leaned across the table and attached the collar...

-----

After a particularly long day, Serpent decided to check in on his prisoner.  In the safehouse that he and the Antariah Imperialist Party had set up (one could always depend on former members of COMPNOR when it came to taking extreme measures to deal with hostile agents), Canis writhed in his cramped cell.  He had been there for three days already.

Zail peeked in through the small window in the door.  He would have preferred one-way glass, but a hatch had to suffice given their lack of proper resources.  Opening it allowed light from the corridor beyond to spill into the cell, which had no light of its own.  Upon seeing the hatch open, Canis looked up from the floor and snarled.

Serpent stared back, his blue eyes emotionless, but inside he was anything but.  He had killed men, executed men, even sent people to die.  This was something different, however.  What he was doing may not involve an IT-0 droid, but it was torture all the same.  Zail had convinced himself that it was necessary, though.  He had to know what Canis knew, and know if there were any more Imperial Agents on Antariah.

“Come to gloat?”  Asked Canis through clenched teeth, his voice sounding raw from screaming in pain so much.

“You can end this,” Said Serpent, trying to make his voice sound like he did not care either way, but perhaps there was a note of hope in his voice.  He prayed that Canis did not pick up on it.

“Go to – GAH!” Exclaimed the captive, cut off by another shock.

“I’ll come back in a couple of days,” Said Zail, and then closed the hatch.  Walking down the corridor a bit, he turned to one of the guards.  This one, like the others in the safehouse, were hardcore loyalists of the AIP, and had Major Khamarr’s complete trust.  “Add this to his next couple of meals,” Said Serpent, handing the man a phial of purple liquid before walking off.

-----

Serpent forced himself back into his composed demeanour and sat again at the desk.  Again, he did not look until the guards had brought Canis in and forced him down into his seat.

Zail had to suppress a gasp when he finally turned his gaze to the captive.  The Imperial Agent looked noticeably thinner and haggard.  His clothes were filthy (Serpent could smell them), and Canis’s eyes were dark and sullen, with great bags under them from not having slept in five days.

“How are you?” Asked Serpent, managing to sound cheery.  “Oh, and I’ve turned the collar off.  Just so we can speak without you screaming.  Enjoy the break while you can.”

“I... I...” The prisoner managed, his speech and breathing laboured.

“Ah, of course.  A glass of water,” Said Zail, and had a guard bring one in and set it on the table.  The guard adjusted Canis’s bonds so, while his hands were still chained together, they were in front of him, allowing him to drink.  No sooner had the guard departed than Canis seized the glass and downed it.

“Sorry,” Said Serpent, “We haven’t fed you or given you anything to drink for the last day or so.  But then, you had that embarrassing bout of throwing up a couple of days back.  Were you unwell?”

The glare from the other man told Zail that he knew just who was responsible for poisoning his food and making him sick.

“Now, let’s get down to business,” Said Serpent after a suitable pause.  “Tell me who you are, what you know, and what allies you have on this world.”

“I won’t crack,” Rasped Canis defiantly.

“Oh, okay then,” Said Zail with a shrug.  “Back in the cell for another five days!  Oh, and this gives me an excuse to use the collar’s higher setting!  We are currently at 2 of 5.  Shall we go to 3?  Or maybe 4?”

Canis’s eyes wavered, his lips trembled, but he said nothing.

“Very well then.  Guards!” Cried Serpent.

“Wait!” Exclaimed the captive suddenly.

“Yes?”  Said the VENI agent, looking at the captive in curiosity.

Canis looked like he was about to speak, and then seemed to decide against it.

A little more and he’ll crack, Zail thought.  However, I really need this information sooner rather than later.  Can I afford to put him back for a few days, or should I push now?

“Last chance,” Said Serpent after some internal deliberation.

“I... I can’t,” Said Canis at last.

Zail felt a thrill of victory!  He said can’t, not won’t.  He fears for his life if he co-operates!  Not only does that tell me that there are other Imperial Agents at work on this world, but it also gives me a way to manipulate him.

There was no chance that a fully trained Imperial Agent in full health would make such a mistake.  Obviously the last five days had taken its toll.  Serpent decided to push hard now and capitalise on it.

“If you were to co-operate,” Said Zail, as if musing aloud, “I could help you.  Smuggle you off-world, perhaps get you a new face and life in the VE.”

The other shook his head.  “I would rather die!” He declared fiercely, finding new strength from somewhere.

Serpent frowned.  Why the sudden strength?  Why was he wavering before but not now?  I offered to save him...

“Ah, they have your family,” Said Zail, speaking aloud.  “If you betray Imperial Intelligence, one of Isard’s people will find your loved ones and execute them.  I can offer to save you all I want, but I can’t save them.”

Canis nodded.

And by confirming that, I know something else now too.  “Of course, how would Imperial Intelligence know whether you had cracked or not?”  Serpent went on.  “I won’t tell them, and I know you wouldn’t....”  He clicked his fingers.  “Could they be listening in?  Perhaps they have been intercepting my messages back to VENI?  Maybe, since you and I were first introduced by Major Khamarr, your people have been seeking a way to find out what I’ve been saying to my superiors back on Abrae.  Could that be it?”

The captive said nothing, but he looked visibly more nervous.

“How about I test that theory, eh?” Said Zail.  “I’ll go make a report right now, telling Captain Grey just how helpful you have been, and how you will spill all once you have safe transport to the VE, which I shall then request of him!”  And so saying he rose and made for the door.

“NO!” Exclaimed Canis, leaping to his feet awkwardly.  “No, please!”

Serpent turned on him, slamming his fists down on the table and angrily shouting, “Then tell me what I want to know!”

The captive flinched under the sudden outburst, and slowly sank back into his chair.

“Alright,” He said at last, his voice barely a whisper.  “Alright.”

With a smile, Zail sat down too.  “Much better...”

OOC:
2873 words.  And that’s part 2 of my 5-part saga about Antariah.  The next part will be my Special Warfare Cert 1.

After Action Report:  At a rally for the Antariah Imperialist Party, Serpent captures Imperial Agent Canis.  Serpent imprisons him, and using a shock collar to relentlessly torture the man over the course of five days.  Despite reservations about his actions, Zail presses on, and interrogates Canis.  Sleep-deprived, Canis slips up, and Serpent deduces that he is refusing to crack due to threats of Imperial reprisal against people close to him.  Zail uses that against him, and Canis cracks.

Naval High Command
CNW|Lieutenant Commander Zail|NHC|VEN|VE

SCAP/LCDR Pherik “Serpent” Zail / VSD Brilliant /TF:Aurek/2Flt/FC/VEN/VE
[SoA][LoM][NAR][E][SoV][MiD][MC1][VC:E][CAR][AOx3][CoB.][NC][CC:3][CNQST][PWC][2NS][LSM](=*Eng*=)(=*BO*=)
TosthAaaiser
ComNet Initiate

TosthAaaiser

[VE-NAVY] Chief Petty Officer

Post Number:  170
Total Posts:  232
  RE: Serpent: Interrogation: Ancillary Skill
July 19, 2013 9:17:58 AM    View the profile of TosthAaaiser 
Phenomenal as usual, Serpent.

And as for the "PG-13" rating... It's an American rating for movies, but most apply them in other senses.

From the Motion Picture Association of America:
"PG-13 — Parents Strongly Cautioned. Some Material May Be Inappropriate For Children Under 13. A PG-13 rating is a sterner warning by the Rating Board to parents to determine whether their children under age 13 should view the motion picture, as some material might not be suited for them. A PG-13 motion picture may go beyond the PG rating in theme, violence, nudity, sensuality, language, adult activities or other elements, but does not reach the restricted R category. The theme of the motion picture by itself will not result in a rating greater than PG-13, although depictions of activities related to a mature theme may result in a restricted rating for the motion picture. Any drug use will initially require at least a PG-13 rating. More than brief nudity will require at least a PG-13 rating, but such nudity in a PG-13 rated motion picture generally will not be sexually oriented. There may be depictions of violence in a PG-13 movie, but generally not both realistic and extreme or persistent violence. A motion picture’s single use of one of the harsher sexually-derived words, though only as an expletive, initially requires at least a PG-13 rating. More than one such expletive requires an R rating, as must even one of those words used in a sexual context. The Rating Board nevertheless may rate such a motion picture PG-13 if, based on a special vote by a two-thirds majority, the Raters feel that most American parents would believe that a PG-13 rating is appropriate because of the context or manner in which the words are used or because the use of those words in the motion picture is inconspicuous."

I feel there's nothing wrong with your post, but there it is. Just for future reference. Another pass for ya.
JC |CPO Tosth “Fishhead” Aaaiser |ISD Adjudicator | TF:A | 2Flt |FC |VEN | VE
TO | CPO "Fishhead" | PLF Cappadocious | VENA | VEN | VE

Imperial Network Star Wars Image

{XenB}{LogS}{Shut}
Imperial Network Star Wars Image
DeepSix
ComNet Marshal

DeepSix

[VE-DJO] Adept
[VE-ICS] Pirate Swabbie

Post Number:  855
Total Posts:  973
July 19, 2013 9:34:42 AM    View the profile of DeepSix 
I was beaten to it on account of having to go back and reading the first part as well...

You've already been given your pass so I'll just say that I'm instead awaiting on your next piece
SCO/LCDR DeepSix/Golden One/S:38th Vornskr/W:101st Blade/ISD-II Adjudicator/TF:A/2Flt/SC/VEN/VE
[=*TG*=] [=*VIM*=] [=*SWC*=]

CNT/LCDR DeepSix/PLF Cappadocious/VENA/VEN/VE

TRN/AD DeepSix/DJO/Training Sect/VEDJ
Serpent
ComNet Member
Imperial Baronet

Serpent

Post Number:  960
Total Posts:  1214
July 19, 2013 3:57:34 PM    View the profile of Serpent 
Thanks guys!  Glad you both liked it!  I'm working on the next part now, expect it some time next week!

Naval High Command
CNW|Lieutenant Commander Zail|NHC|VEN|VE

SCAP/LCDR Pherik “Serpent” Zail / VSD Brilliant /TF:Aurek/2Flt/FC/VEN/VE
[SoA][LoM][NAR][E][SoV][MiD][MC1][VC:E][CAR][AOx3][CoB.][NC][CC:3][CNQST][PWC][2NS][LSM](=*Eng*=)(=*BO*=)
ComNet > Imperial Navy > Archived Naval Certifications > Serpent: Interrogation: Ancillary Skill  |  New Posts    

All times are CST. The time now is 11:20:35 AM
Comnet Jump:

Current Online Members - 0  |  Guests - 173  |  Bots - 2

< Contact Us - The Vast Empire >