Communications Network
Vast Empire  -  New Posts  -  Search  -  Statistics  -  Login 

ComNet > Imperial Navy > Archived Naval Certifications > Serpent: Political Subterfuge: Ancillary Skill

Author
Topic:  Serpent: Political Subterfuge: Ancillary Skill
Serpent
ComNet Member
Imperial Baronet

Serpent

[VE-NAVY] Lieutenant Commander

Post Number:  931
Total Posts:  1214
  Serpent: Political Subterfuge: Ancillary Skill
July 10, 2013 3:02:22 AM    View the profile of Serpent 
OOC:
This is the post for my Political Subterfuge Ancillary Skill.  It is also part 1 of a multi-post story that will span several skills and certifications.

Pherik ‘Serpent’ Zail stared out from his position on the podium, looking at the two thousand people amassed in the hall.  Despite the mixture of races on this planet (well, Antariah was technically a moon), the audience was predominantly human.  A worrying sign already.

“My fellows, thank you for coming!” Declared the man to Zail’s left, who stood before a lectern and spoke forcefully into a microphone.  “As you all know, the election of our Planetary Senate looms large, and we of the Antariah Imperialist Party are determined to stand up for the good of this world!  We will contest every seat on the Three Continents, campaign in every town and village, and when all the votes are counted we will control the Senate and we will install our next President!”

And so began a long and admittedly inspiring speech, geared towards energising the people towards the next election.

Those words were spoken by Major Joshal Khamarr, a former member of the Imperial Army.  He was a short man, going on fifty with thick white hair and a narrow face.  Ever present in his right hand was a walking stick, which he leaned on as he moved.  This was a result of a leg injury sustained during the Galactic Civil War, though Zail was at a loss as to why Khamarr had not received bacta or cybernetics to fix his leg in the years since.

What Serpent did know, though, was that Major Khamarr was a strong-willed and charismatic individual, who had advocated Antariah’s withdrawal from the New Republic since it fell to the regime a few months after the Battle of Endor.  His Imperialist party had made sweeping gains in local elections a couple of years ago, taking many local mayoralties and town councils.  Now, as Khamarr made his bid for national politics (and a shot at the Presidency), he had called for support from off-world and outside the Republic.

Through VENI, Serpent had learned of his offer to pledge Antariah to the Vast Empire once Khamarr was President.  Zail had been sent to take the man’s measure, and decide if he was worthy of (surreptitious) VE support.  Alas, what Khamarr had neglected to mention was that he had also reached out to the Imperial Remnant.

Their representative, a blonde-haired and athletic man who answered only to the name of ‘Canis’ was also present on the stage, far from Zail on the Major’s left.  The rival observer was taking in the crowd of Imperialists with great interest, noting their fervour and dedication to Khamarr.  Serpent sincerely doubted that the heavily pro-human mix bothered the Remnant man much.

The Major went on for a good fifteen minutes, but was able to hold his audience’s attention the whole time.  He alternated between the eloquent and the passionate as he spoke of the promises of the incoming Republic administration, and how utterly they had failed.  Basic infrastructure remained lacking in parts of the planet’s (moon’s) three continents, unemployment was high, and the planetary security forces had suffered immense cutbacks.  None of these, Khamarr was swift to point out, had been issues under Palpatine.

Finally he ceased and headed off stage, the whole hall thundering with the applause of his supporters.  Serpent and Canis followed him backstage, where many of the Major’s advisors, PR people, and bodyguards awaited.  Many of them congratulated him on his speech, and Khamarr thanked them.  Slowly he pressed through and headed to a small office in the backstage area that he had been using prior to the gathering.  He permitted only the two foreign representatives to follow him inside.

The three sat at a small desk in the cramped office, which seemed to be a converted storage room.  The Major looked across at Zail and Canis and asked simply, “Well?”

Serpent gestured for his rival to go first, and without hesitation he did.  “You speak well, and the audience love you.  Both they and you have a keen appreciation of how much better Imperial rule was for Antariah.  I would need to see more, but your bid for leadership of this world has great merit.  I am confident that, should you require funding for your campaign then the Empire can provide it.”

Khamarr nodded and turned to Zail.  “And you?”

“The Vast Empire will also provide support,” Said Serpent firmly, “On one condition.”

The Major raised an eyebrow.  “Oh?  And what condition would that be?”

“You need to reach out to non-humans more,” Said Zail, and he did not miss the smile that tugged at Canis’s lips when he heard.  “I understand that you are formerly of the Empire and you wish to return Antariah to a regime that you are familiar with, but please, Major Khamarr, let us consider the demographics of this world.  Antariah is only sixty-three percent human.  You have a large number of non-humans here, specifically fifty million – almost eleven percent of your population – Zabraks.  Please, make an effort to appeal to them.”

Canis sneered openly at the suggestion.  “Major,” He said to Khamarr, “Don’t listen to this nonsense.  You wish to restore Antariah to its Imperial glory.  Well, that glory came about because your former Governor expressly forbade aliens from participating in public life.  Only humans have the clarity of vision to lead your world.  Do not tarnish your fine Imperial Party by bringing in those who would dilute both its purity and its effectiveness!”

Serpent sighed.  Where did the Empire find these fanatics?  “Please, Major Khamarr,” he tried again, “Listen to reason.  Your world fell to the Republic because the disenfranchised minorities actively aided your enemies when they attacked.  Do not repeat the mistakes of the past.  Reach out to the non-humans, bring them into the fold, and you shall have a much more stable and prosperous world.”

The leader of the Imperialist Party seemed to listen to the words intently.  Finally he said, “You may have a point, Agent Rain,” He said, using the VENI cover name that Zail had given him.  “I have been worried about just how massive a majority of the human vote I would need to offset a hostile alien vote and still win an election.  Though it is possible that the plethora of other parties out there will split the anti-Imperial vote and allow me to win.”

Canis nodded enthusiastically.  “Exactly!  Alien infighting is part of why they are so flawed!  Their splitting of the vote will take care of their threat!”

“And if it doesn’t?” Countered the Major.  “No, it is safer to appeal to the aliens.  I just wonder how we can do that.”

“I have an idea,” Said Serpent, seizing the opening.  “The general election for the Senate and Presidency is in three months, right?”  Khamarr nodded.  “However, your current constitution does not allow a Planetary Senator position to be vacant for longer than a month.  So if a Senator were to step down now then an election for his seat would have to take place in four weeks, two months before the main election.”

“Yes, that’s right,” Confirmed the Major.

“Very well,” Said Serpent.  “We get a Senator to step down and then contest his seat with a non-human as the AIP candidate.  If he or she can swing the alien vote then we have a precedent for going into the main election without our rivals being able to slur us as speciesist.”

“And if your candidate doesn’t win,” Added Canis quickly, “Then it will be because your alien has betrayed the AIP’s core human vote.  You will then, I trust, abandon this ludicrous alien-appeasing plan and withdraw your bid for a stake in Antariah’s future.”

Zail had expected this caveat to his plan.  “Agreed,” He said.

As Canis smiled, already anticipating triumph, Khamarr spoke.  “A sound plan, and I eagerly await its outcome,” He said.  “Tell me, though.  How will you get a Senator to step down and where will you find an alien candidate to stand for us?”

“Leave that to me,” Said Serpent.

-----

The great luminescent emerald gas giant known as Antarak dominated the sky above, bathing the streets in an eerie green light.  The inhabitants of Antariah were used to it, but Serpent, having only been on the moon for a week, still found it disconcerting.  Still, he did his best not to let his discomfort show, as he made his way down the street towards the towering ten-story tower of glass that was his destination.

Zail was dressed in a dark blue suit typical of office workers on Antariah.  According to his research, the world had a thriving banking system, and the middle class has exploded some two hundred years ago when the moon became a centre of finance for its Sector.

Serpent stopped before the building, glanced at the chrono on his wrist, and smiled.  His timing was spot on and he would not have to wait long.

Just two minutes later the office block’s lobby doors opened and a Zabrak woman stepped out.  She too was dressed in the business attire common on Antariah, but she wore it a lot better than Zail did.  The lengths of the coat and shirt were sensible, professional, as was her demeanour.  Her dark hair was tied up at the back of her head which sat neatly on a gracefully long neck.  She strode briskly along and moved past where Serpent was standing.

“Excuse me, Miss Sjhavere?” He asked.

She stopped and turned to face him, curiosity and suspicion filling her dark eyes.  “Yes?”

“Good afternoon,” He beamed.  “My name is Anakin, Anakin Wataris,” He said, giving her his cover name.  “I’m with the Antariah Imperialist Party.”

Her face contorted in a frown.  “And what do you want?” She enquired.

“I was wondering if you saw the sad news about Senator Hrathab last night?” He asked.

Sjhavere nodded.  “Yes.  He passed away in his sleep.  Sudden, but not unexpected,” She said.

Indeed, thought Zail, he was old, that was why I chose him.  Poisoning him was easy, and the police on this planet were so lax that they never noticed the trace amounts of poison in his system, if they even bothered to look.  “Tragic indeed,” Said Serpent, “But the fine political service he gave this world cannot wait while we mourn.  His seat must be contested.”

“If you are looking my vote...” Sjhavere began, but Zail cut her off.

“Oh no,” He said.  “I am looking for your candidacy,” He said, and had the pleasure of seeing her eyebrows arch in sheer surprise.

“I’m sorry, Mr Wataris, but I am not a member of your party.”

“Oh I know,” He said.  “You are not with any party, and that is very well known.  You are a lawyer of some repute, Miss Sjhavere, and from your numerous holonews appearances your views on Antariah have been quite succinctly spelled out.  We are of a kind, you and I.”

“Really?” She asked, sounding amused.  “Do go on.”

“Crime,” He said simply.  “You have made a career as a prosecutor, and though criminals give you work, you have been most critical of the rising crime levels.  The AIP is quite dedicated to fighting crime, and you would be most welcome among us.”

Sjhavere looked at him, as if trying to figure out if he was for real or not.  “I have no doubt that crime would drop drastically under a restored Imperial regime,” She confessed, “But it would be the peace of totalitarian oppression.  And the last time the Empire ruled here, non-humans such as I also suffered under that regime.  Why would I vote for a Party that would most likely prevent me from holding the current status I enjoy?”

“There are Empires and there are Empires,” Said Zail.  “What if I said that we sought to bring Antariah into a regime where law and order were just as important as treating all peoples equally and fairly?”

“That’s not the Imperial Remnant,” She said, now openly curious.

“Indeed,” He confirmed.  “The Vast Empire is all that you seem to want in a regime.  Antariah would thrive in the VE, and a woman with your intellect and dedication to law and order could go very far indeed!”

Now he definitely had her attention.  “Let us go somewhere to talk about my possible role in this new Antariah...” She said, and he fell into step alongside her.

-----

Over the next few weeks, Zail worked hard to get Sjhavere elected.  He was never far from her side, and along with Major Khamarr the three were at work every day, checking polls and planning speeches and holonet appearances.

Unlike the general election to come, the by-election was fought between only a few people, and so the media was able to give far more attention to each candidate’s strengths and policies.  Serpent was impressed by how well Khamarr and his people used this to work the press and enhance Sjhavere’s image.  Many of his political advisors had once been COMPNOR members, so Zail knew that they knew what they were doing.

With Serpent’s urging, Sjhavere appealed to the non-human electorate like no AIP candidate ever had.  Meanwhile, Khamarr himself worked the humans with little change in his rhetoric.  It was an oddly schizophrenic approach, with neither really mentioning the other, but the rising poll numbers for the Imperialists seemed to justify the approach.

Finally came the night of the by-election, and Serpent and Khamarr, along with Canis, were on hand at the city hall for the count.  The trio were oddly even more nervous than Sjhavere, who stood on stage with the other candidates while the Returning Officer read the counts aloud.

Cameras zoomed in on the candidates as they reacted to every figure, and on the floor of the hall supporters erupted in cheers and boos.

“Alice Mratafow, Antariah Restoration Party: 11,096 votes, an 8% share.”

“Fyric Ran, The Labour Alliance: 6,935 votes, a 5% share.”

Nobodies, thought Zail, watching the proceedings intently.  Its the next party that is our real threat.

“Sathris Ar-Valorum,” Continued the Returning Officer, “The Republic Preservation Party: 42,997 votes, a 31% share!”

Instantly Ar-Valorum’s face fell and his supporters wailed in dismay.  All around Serpent the Imperialist supports cheered and punched the air.  They knew the outcome, and the announcement to follow was purely a formality.  Still, Zail found himself holding his breath.

“Eslara Sjhavere, Antariah Imperialist Party: 77,672 votes, a 56% share!”  Declared the Officer, having to raise his voice over the rising tide of victorious cries from her people.  “And so saying, Eslara Sjhavere is hereby returned as the Senator for Karborough City!”

Zail watched Sjhavere as she stepped to the microphone and began speaking to her supporters, thanking them and everyone who voted for her.  The professional lawyer remained perfectly composed and cool despite her sudden ascent to planetary politics, and Serpent knew that he had chosen well to place his faith in her.

As Sjhavere went on, he turned to Major Khamarr.  “There you have it,” He said.  “A victory to ride all the way to the general election, and a chance for you to appeal to the entire electorate.”

“You have done well, Mr Wataris,” Said the leader of the AIP, being careful to use Zail’s cover name while they were in public.  “I firmly believe that you and I can do business.”

Serpent nodded.  Translation: Give us money and continued support, and I’ll take this world into the VE when I am President.

Having decisively won, Zail turned around to the Imperial Remnant’s representative to inform him (with some amount of glee) that his presence was no longer required.

Oddly, though, Agent Canis had vanished.

OOC:
2613 words.  My submission for Political Meddling.  The story of the Antariah Imperialist Party will continue in my next post, for the Interrogation Ancillary Skill, and then continue into my 3 Special Warfare Certification posts.

After Action Report:  On the moon of Antariah, former Imperial Army Major Joshal Khamarr has started a political party to win the coming election.  He seeks to oust the Republic from his world and join an Imperial faction, either the Imperial Remnant or the VE.  He invites representatives from both, and Serpent comes from the VE.  At Zail’s urging, Khamarr puts up a non-human candidate in an upcoming by-election (which Serpent causes by killing an aging Senator).  Eslara Sjhavere, a respected Zabrak lawyer, sways large numbers of non-humans to the Antariah Imperialist Party’s traditional human base and wins easily.  The next challenge is to win the general election for the Senate and Presidency in two months.

Naval High Command
CNW|Lieutenant Commander Zail|NHC|VEN|VE

SCAP/LCDR Pherik “Serpent” Zail / VSD Brilliant /TF:Aurek/2Flt/FC/VEN/VE
[SoA][LoM][NAR][E][SoV][MiD][1NS][MC1][VC:E][CAR][AOx3][CoB.][NC][CC:3][CNQST][PWC](=*Eng*=)(=*BO*=)
TosthAaaiser
ComNet Initiate

TosthAaaiser

[VE-NAVY] Chief Petty Officer

Post Number:  167
Total Posts:  232
  RE: Serpent: Political Subterfuge: Ancillary Skill
July 18, 2013 12:05:31 AM    View the profile of TosthAaaiser 
Great as always, Serpent. The only thing I might have added was a bit more of the dialogue between Zail and Sjhavere that was used to convince her to side with the AIP.

Specifically right here:
Serpent wrote:Now he definitely had her attention.  “Let us go somewhere to talk about my possible role in this new Antariah...” She said, and he fell into step alongside her.

What was said in the following encounters to fully convince her?

But other than that, amazing writing, as usual. You've got another pass.

Apologies on the delay in grading. With the recent change of CNT, I wasn't entirely sure if I was on the staff anymore.
JC |CPO Tosth “Fishhead” Aaaiser |ISD Adjudicator | TF:A | 2Flt |FC |VEN | VE
TO | CPO "Fishhead" | PLF Cappadocious | VENA | VEN | VE

Imperial Network Star Wars Image

{XenB}{LogS}{Shut}
Imperial Network Star Wars Image
[This message has been edited by TosthAaaiser (edited July 18, 2013 1:06:49 PM)]
Serpent
ComNet Member
Imperial Baronet

Serpent

[VE-NAVY] Lieutenant Commander

Post Number:  955
Total Posts:  1214
  RE: Serpent: Political Subterfuge: Ancillary Skill
July 18, 2013 4:51:51 PM    View the profile of Serpent 
Don't worry about it, Fishhead, I understand!  And thanks for the critique!  I had wondered if there was enough in that 'scene' too.  Noted for next time!

Thanks again!

Naval High Command
CNW|Lieutenant Commander Zail|NHC|VEN|VE

SCAP/LCDR Pherik “Serpent” Zail / VSD Brilliant /TF:Aurek/2Flt/FC/VEN/VE
[SoA][LoM][NAR][E][SoV][MiD][MC1][VC:E][CAR][AOx3][CoB.][NC][CC:3][CNQST][PWC][2NS][LSM](=*Eng*=)(=*BO*=)
ComNet > Imperial Navy > Archived Naval Certifications > Serpent: Political Subterfuge: Ancillary Skill  |  New Posts    

All times are CST. The time now is 12:56:48 AM
Comnet Jump:

Current Online Members - 0  |  Guests - 220  |  Bots - 0

< Contact Us - The Vast Empire >