Communications Network
Vast Empire  -  New Posts  -  Search  -  Statistics  -  Login 

ComNet > Imperial Navy > Archived Naval Certifications > Serpent: Zero-Gravity Combat: Ancillary Skill

Author
Topic:  Serpent: Zero-Gravity Combat: Ancillary Skill
Serpent
ComNet Member
Imperial Baronet

Serpent

[VE-NAVY] Lieutenant Commander

Post Number:  885
Total Posts:  1214
  Serpent: Zero-Gravity Combat: Ancillary Skill
June 21, 2013 7:24:07 AM    View the profile of Serpent 
The man sent by VENI to observe and instruct Pherik ‘Serpent’ Zail was a bit of an unknown.  Zail had never met the other agent, but knew that he was regarded as a competent instructor in a variety of skills.  His greying hair and deeply lined face spoke to both his age and experience, and the cybernetic enhancements around his throat and left eye added to the impression that this man had been through a lot.  However, he was also thin and slow-moving, past his prime, and while a fount of knowledge for Naval Intelligence, was beyond being effective in solo field ops.

“Agent Indigo Eight,” Announced the man as Serpent entered the airlock where he was waiting, “Reporting as ordered, sir!”  And so saying, the elder agent, a Chief Petty Officer, snapped to attention before Zail.

“Agent Rain,” Replied Serpent, returning the salute.  Like the other, he was dressed in a bland grey uniform, devoid of his Lieutenant Commander rank insignia.  He only knew of the other’s inferior rank from the file he had been given before leaving the Tower on Abrae.  “So, you are here to instruct me in zero-g combat skills?”

“Yes, sir,” Said the other, as they turned and advanced into the bowels of the training ship.  It was called the Abismiliard, and was an old, beat-up corvette on loan from the Seventh Fleet.  VENI used the vessel to train in boarding actions and other ops, and today it would have its gravity turned off for Zail’s training and evaluation.  “I have assigned you four marines to train with and lead.  After approximately four hours of training, I have laid on a test of your abilities.  Five other handpicked marines are present and shall be your ‘foes’.  The objective will be for both teams to race to the bridge.  You may take out the other team as you encounter them, using either stun weapons or hand-to-hand combat.  Your success will be determined solely by myself, based not only on your zero-g skills, but also on your tactics and leadership.”

Serpent nodded, trying to fight back the fear he was feeling.  Four hours was not a large window in which to master the basics of working in zero-g, but evidently Indigo Eight did not believe in going easy on his trainees.  “Do I need to make it to the bridge myself, or will being stunned eliminate me from victory?” He asked.

The other agent shook his head.  “Not at all, sir.  I need not remind you that in VENI it is the mission that counts.  As long as your team reach the goal, you yourself need not be present.  However, do not expect them to carry you.  You need to show both competence and leadership before you are taken out.”

“Noted,” Said Zail, expecting little else.  “So, shall we get to it?”

“Right this way, sir,” Said Indigo Eight, and led him into the depths of the ship.

-----

The sleek black flight suit was tight-fitting, hugging Serpent’s joints so closely that his elbows and knees were almost locked straight.  Zail knew that this get-up was a variant of those worn by TIE pilots, but since he himself had never been part of the Starfighter Corps, he was left mystified as to how anyone could fly when unable to bend their limbs.

“A good fit,” Said Indigo Eight, the cyborg already having suited up.  “Now, you are familiar with the controls?”  He asked, and when Serpent nodded, the instructor went on with, “Explain them to me.”

“The central chest area is here,” Said Zail, gesturing to the plate of electronics upon his torso, “And it houses the majority of the controls.  I can adjust the suit’s interior environment with these settings, specifically with relation to moisture should I have to survive in a vacuum for a prolonged period.  Oxygen tank and reserve are here, and both would feed up to a helmet were I wearing one.  And here, on the bottom of my shoes, are the tandem magnetic plates.  When activated, the system allows me to walk by triggering the shoes alternately, though if I try to jump then both will trigger, preventing me from floating off.”

“Excellent,” Said the other man.  “However, we shall not be using the magnetic plates today.  We want to see how you function in zero-g, so let’s begin.”  Turning, he gestured to the central corridor of the Abismiliard.  “Simply advance down the corridor to the mess hall,” He said.  Agent Indigo Eight then tapped a control on his own suit, a basic command relay linked into the ship, and instantly Zail felt the gravity switch off.

It was a peculiar sensation, to suddenly go from knowing where ‘down’ was to simply having no concept of ‘down’ what-so-ever.  Serpent had trained a little in zero-g back at the Academy, but only the very basics and never enough to actually get used to it.  Despite his prior experience he still had to fight back a sudden tide of fear as he began to drift off from the deck.  Instantly, his hands darted out for something to grab hold of, but the effort quickly backfired.  As his hands failed against the walls of the corridor the impact merely succeeded in pushing him away and further from the floor.

Indigo Eight, remaining in place, shook his head slightly.  “A mistake, sir,” He said.  “In zero-g, all of your actions must be deliberate and thought-out.  One wrong gesture and the rules of physics - action and counter-action - strike with a vengeance, sending you wildly off course.”

“Noted,” Snarled Zail, trying to change course as he drifted inexorably towards the ceiling.  He kicked his legs, trying to ‘swim’ through the air, but to no avail.  He merely drifted along his mistaken course, moving painfully slowly from his accidental push-off.

“Another lesson,” Continued the trainer as he watched, “Speed is your ally here.  Some people think that by ‘thought-out’ I meant ‘small and conservative’ actions.  Not so.  In zero-g one can only change direction by pushing off of solid objects, flailing as you move has little to no affect.  You need to get from place to place quickly, so that any course changes necessitated can be enacted sooner rather than later.”

Serpent nodded, and as he slowly reached the ceiling, he raised his legs and kicked off it forcefully.  He instantly shot back down to the deck, having to twist quickly to put his feet in position to push off again.  He did, and this time Zail managed to adjust his angle to head down the corridor.

“Excellent,” Said the cyborg.  “Just like that, sir.  Quickly from place to place, use the walls and the angles to your advance to lay in your course and keep to it.”

“Understood,” Said Zail, and consciously he did.  However, it was requiring a lot of thought, a lot of thinking ahead and plotting his zig-zag course off ceilings and bulkheads.  He could manage fine for now, but he wondered how he could function in zero-g in a combat situation, when there was far more than just angles to worry about.

But then, that was going to be the point of his training op later...

TO BE CONTINUED

OOC:
1207 words.  The first half of my Zero-G Ancillary Skill.  I decided to post what I have so far, just to let everyone know that I am back and writing!

After Action Report:  Serpent arrives at the VENI training corvette Abismiliard and is met by trainer Agent Indigo Eight.  Eight puts Zail in a flight suit, checks his knowledge of its systems, and then guides him in the basics of how to move in zero-g.
SCAP/LCDR Pherik “Serpent” Zail / VSD Brilliant /TF:Aurek/2Flt/FC/VEN/VE
[SoA][LoM][NAR][E][SoV][MiD][1NS][GWC][MC1][VC:E][CAR][AOx3][CoB.][NC][CC:3][CNQST](=*Eng*=)(=*BO*=)

"It isn't the killing, you know.  It's the beauty of battles that I love - the choreography and the challenge of executing everything
just right - and the challenge of matching your wits against a capable opponent." - Gilad Pellaeon
Serpent
ComNet Member
Imperial Baronet

Serpent

Post Number:  919
  RE: Serpent: Zero-Gravity Combat: Ancillary Skill
July 6, 2013 6:38:16 PM    View the profile of Serpent 
The training was enough to make Serpent sick.  He felt like he was in an antiquated pinball machine, bouncing from bulkhead to bulkhead and trying not to smack his head into the walls.  After a large number of bumps and bruises, though, Zail slowly got the hang of it.

And then Indigo Eight led him to the mess hall.  At first Serpent thought little of it, until he saw the room in all its obstacle-strewn glory.  To teach him the lesson of what can happen in zero-g, the room had been set for dinner just before the Abismiliard’s artificial gravity had been switched off.  As a result, the air was a minefield of floating plates, cutlery and food.

One shove, and Zail was hurtling through the centre of the mess.  In a few seconds he accumulated more bruises and cuts than he had in the last hour.

“You have to twist and turn as you move,” Said Indigo Eight distinctly un-helpfully.  “Control your speed better so you have a change to avoid all the obstacles.”

“Control my speed,” Mumbled Serpent under his breath.  “If I go slowly I can’t reach the next wall, but if I go too fast I get hit by...” And suddenly a greasy nerf-burger smacked straight into his face.  It slid awkwardly across his nose and right cheek, leaving a trail of viscous liquid in its wake.  “Oh this had better be worth it,” He growled.

And the training continued.

-----

Finally, after accumulating so many aches and pains, and twisting his body in more ways than he knew was physically possible for a human to do, Zail was finished.

Or rather, the warm-up was finished.  It was time for the test.

“This course is about zero-g combat,” Indigo Eight reminded him.  They were currently back in the airlock, and the gravity here had been turned back on.  “You can move, but can you fight and shoot at the same time?”  He asked rhetorically.

Doubtful.  I can barely shoot straight in gravity, mused Serpent, but did not actually say it out loud.

The doors opened and four people entered.  Three men, one woman, covering a variety of heights and builds, they were a motley collection indeed.  Zail knew them at once for VENI-trained marines.  They did not offer their names, nor did he require them.  Numbers on their armoured uniforms were all the ID the soldiers required.

Serpent shook their hands, exchanged hellos, and then got down to equipping themselves.  Zail donned lightweight armour to match that of the marines, and was granted a blaster rifle set to stun.  He found himself feeling the weight of the weapon before remembering that it being heavy would have little bearing on a zero-g engagement.

“To repeat,” Said Indigo Eight once they were ready.  “Your team is to reach the bridge and secure it as fast as possible.  A competing team of five others will try to beat you.  Do not let them.  Are there any questions?”

There were none.  It was simple enough, and Zail was eager just to get on with it.

The VENI trainer lifted his comlink, and spoke to the other team.  “Go,” He said simply, and gestured to Serpent for his team to do the same.

They threw themselves through the doorway and began the op.

-----

The marines were well-trained and moved in practiced formation, keeping close to each other and yet somehow managing not to smack into each other as they moved through the corridor in zero-g.  Serpent managed to fall into their pattern of movement, and though it was a struggle to keep pace with their smooth advance, Zail somehow managed.

They swiftly reached the end of the short corridor and a large door.  Landing on the ceiling and grabbing a light fitting to hold him there, Serpent gestured for his people to halt.  He pointed to two of them, and then at the door.  One of them, a small human with mousy features, led the way, rifle ready.  He and another marine plunged through into the corvette’s central hallway beyond, and instantly came under enemy fire.

“Go!”  Barked Zail to the rest of his team, as they pushed off and launched themselves through the doorway into the burgeoning fight beyond.  The rival marine team were ensconced further down the corridor, already well towards the bridge.  Four of them were firing back towards Serpent’s people, while the fifth was making a break for the command deck and victory.

“Forward!” Ordered Serpent, heedless of the hail of fire directed at his men.  “Target the marines on the left!” He added, gesturing.

The enemy were split two on the left side of the corridor and two on the right.  However, there was a T-junction in that part of the Abismiliard’s main hallway, leaving the marines on the left a little more exposed.  Zail took the lead in exploiting that tactical error, lifting his rifle and firing a hail of stun bolts towards the duo of hostiles crouched there.

His own squad reacted quickly to his commands and, having found niches to take cover in themselves, fired on the enemy position.  Serpent saw one of their targets go down under the hail of blue energy (and, though he could not tell who had made the hit, Zail knew better than to believe that it was him), and the second foe fell soon afterwards.

The other two enemy marines were not complacent though.  They saw the damage and fell back, zigzagging through the weightless corridor and taking up a fall-back position closer to the bridge.  Beyond them, the fifth and final member of their team had reached the command deck entrance, and was busy trying to hotwire the doors to gain access.  Serpent could not permit that!

“Advance,” Zail ordered.  “We have to reach the bridge!”

“Sir, there isn’t much cover in that section,” Said one of his people as they pushed off the walls and moved forward.  As if in confirmation, the fire from the two enemies caught one of Serpent’s people, stunning him and taking them out of the fight.

Zail cursed at the loss, but knew that they had to press on.  He now knew the real risk of zero-g combat.  By travelling by bouncing off walls, one spent a lot of time out of cover.  With the gravity on one could at least hug the walls as they advanced.  In zero-g the danger lay in greater exposure to enemy fire.

Serpent knew that they needed a way to advance safely, some sort of make-shift cover or...

And then it hit him!

-----

Two of his marines led the charge, pushing before them the weightless bodies of the two stunned enemy soldiers.  Despite being weightless, the improvised human shields were awkward and unwieldy, so Zail had given the task to the bigger of his remaining people.  They pushed the unconscious forms before them, neatly soaking up enemy fire as Serpent and the last member of the squad followed.

With a kick, Zail threw himself off a nearby wall and drove towards the enemy, peeking around his two lead shield men and firing again and again.  This time he definitely connected and another foe went down.  He smiled in triumph.

Meanwhile his front men had reached the enemy, using the unconscious marines as battering rams and careening into the last of the two hostiles holding their position.  A quick few shots at point blank range finished it, and that just left the enemy trying to hotwire the entrance to the bridge.

Serpent went straight for him, ricocheting his body off the ceiling and landing on the door beside the man.  Casually, Zail laid the barrel of his rifle against the man’s temple.

“Good game,” Said the Lieutenant Commander, “But the day is mine.”

The enemy marine nodded, dropping his slicing tools and raising his hands in submission.  A few seconds later and Indigo Eight emerged and began to survey the carnage.

“So,” Asked Serpent of the VENI trainer, “How did I do?”

THE END

OOC:
1341 words.  And my submission for zero-g combat is complete!  Hope it was okay!

After Action Report:  Serpent completes the basic introduction to moving in zero-g, and then participates in a mock squad on squad engagement to test his ability to fight in weightlessness.  He leads his team of marines effectively, and takes advantage of the environment by using fallen foes as convenient light weight shields.  His team prevail, and he hopes that he has impressed the VENI trainer, Agent Indigo Eight.

Naval High Command
CNW|Lieutenant Commander Zail|NHC|VEN|VE

[SoA][LoM][NAR][E][SoV][MiD][1NS][GWC][MC1][VC:E][CAR][AOx3][CoB.][NC][CC:3][CNQST](=*Eng*=)(=*BO*=)
DeepSix
ComNet Marshal

DeepSix

[VE-DJO] Adept
[VE-ICS] Pirate Swabbie

Post Number:  834
Total Posts:  973
July 9, 2013 2:59:03 AM    View the profile of DeepSix 
Agent Indigo Eight sends you his regards as well as his written notification that you passed. Oh, and he also sends you some cleaning tissues too - for the burger stains... Would also like to note that I liked the ending - not because it particularly stood out form the rest of the piece which was well written overall, but because given the choice to shoot or not shoot the other man in a training exercise you went with the sensible decision and not pushed it needlessly... I for one appreciated that.

Feel free to add the Zero-G skill to your wiki page and/or ID line.
SCO/LCDR DeepSix/Golden One/S:38th Vornskr/W:101st Blade/ISD-II Adjudicator/TF:A/2Flt/SC/VEN/VE
[=*TG*=] [=*VIM*=] [=*SWC*=]

CNT/LCDR DeepSix/PLF Cappadocious/VENA/VEN/VE

TRN/AD DeepSix/DJO/Training Sect/VEDJ
Serpent
ComNet Member
Imperial Baronet

Serpent

Post Number:  927
July 9, 2013 3:39:51 AM    View the profile of Serpent 
Thanks Deep!  Glad you liked it!

Naval High Command
CNW|Lieutenant Commander Zail|NHC|VEN|VE

[SoA][LoM][NAR][E][SoV][MiD][1NS][MC1][VC:E][CAR][AOx3][CoB.][NC][CC:3][CNQST][PWC](=*Eng*=)(=*BO*=)
ComNet > Imperial Navy > Archived Naval Certifications > Serpent: Zero-Gravity Combat: Ancillary Skill  |  New Posts    

All times are CST. The time now is 4:57:00 PM
Comnet Jump:

Current Online Members - 1  |  Guests - 251  |  Bots - 3
TX-47

< Contact Us - The Vast Empire >