Communications Network
Vast Empire  -  New Posts  -  Search  -  Statistics  -  Login 

ComNet > Imperial Navy > Archived Naval Story Board > Defiance: Serpent: Shakedown Cruise

Author
Topic:  Defiance: Serpent: Shakedown Cruise
Serpent
ComNet Member
Imperial Baronet

Serpent

[VE-NAVY] Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post Number:  449
Total Posts:  1214
  Defiance: Serpent: Shakedown Cruise
August 22, 2012 7:17:38 AM    View the profile of Serpent 
OOC:

This is the first post of my Shakedown Cruise to complete my Ship Captain Training Programme.  It will consist of 5 posts - 1 combat systems test, 2 NPC viewpoints, and 2 NPC interactions.  This is my combat systems test post.

Warrant Officer 2nd Class Pherik ‘Serpent’ Zail was such a mouthful of a name.  The Alderaanian was discovering that short and sweet “Captain Zail” had a much nicer ring to it.  It had taken some getting used to, granted, and he was still trying to put that fiasco of a first mission on the training ship Courage behind him.  However, over the last few weeks, following his transfer to the CR90 Defiance, Zail had really settled into the role.

His cold blue eyes swept over the bridge of the Corellian Corvette, a wide room with a grand view port before him.  It was far larger than the command deck of the Courage, a clear sign that he was moving up in the Navy.  Despite the change in scale from a vessel of 42 meters length and a crew of 16, to a ship of 150 meters and crew of 165, both he and his bridge crew had adapted well so far.

Zail smiled at the memory of news of their transfer.  For some reason his senior staff had expected him to leave them behind.  Whether they had thought themselves unworthy, or simply believed he did not like them, Pherik could not say.  Whatever the reason, when Zail told them that he was taking them all to a CR90 they could not contain their joy.  His Sensor Chief, the unorthodox Dev Mishima, had even tried to high-five him, not that the Captain had complied.

“Captain, Belgaroth Control says we are clear to depart,” Said that same Dev Mishima, intruding on Zail’s thoughts.

“Very well,” Replied the Captain, looking out the viewport at the Belgaroth shipyards where the Defiance had recently been undergoing a refit.  Turning to the woman at the helm, he said, “Miss Samasl.  Calculate a hyperspace course for the Dreshal System.  Take us clear of the shipyards and then jump when ready.”

“Yes, sir,” Said the tough-looking woman from Bakura.

Serpent resisted the urge to pace as he watched the ship re-align and accelerate to cruising speed to take it clear of the yard’s scaffolding.  Zail was determined to project a calm and controlled demeanour for his crew, but he found that command left him somewhat restless.  As an XO he was constantly rushing around the bridge, meeting people, doing things.  Standing still and barking the occasional order was much different.

Close by, however, his own XO, Vagen Eosel, was under no such constraints.  The Kel Dor strode about the bridge, looking over the shoulders of the bridge officers, ensuring that they were attending to their duties.  Zail saw a younger version of himself in Eosel’s slightly overbearing attitude, and suppressed a smile.

“Jumping in 3... 2... 1!” Announced Samasl, and on cue the Defiance lurched to beyond the speed of light.

The journey took a little over two hours, giving the crew plenty of time to run checks and ensure that their ship was operating smoothly.  The whole point of this shakedown cruise was to assess the corvette, and as reports rolled in from across the ship Zail was pleased to note that there were no problems.  Chief Engineer Xela Fendar reported that the hyperdrive was purring happily, and even crotchety Doctor Padrin Praan was content enough with his new and much larger medical bay.

That only left the weapons systems to be tested, and for that they would need the Dreshal system.

When the Defiance finally dropped out of hyperspace, Serpent saw instantly that they had chosen well.  The uninhabited region of space was little more than one dying red dwarf star, a few gas giants, and a lot of asteroids.

“Mr Yandeer,” Said Zail to his Weapons Chief, “Your targets lie before us.  Let’s see if your gunners can hit anything.”

Kol Yandeer, a big man with a physique better suited to the army than the navy, smiled at the challenge.  “Watch and prepare to be impressed, Captain,” He replied, and then began barking orders into his com relay to his people.

Dual turbolaser turrets swung into position, fore and aft, and erupted in a spray of shots that promptly shredded a nearby asteroid.  Pulverised rock exploded in a cloud of grey dust, eventually dispersing to reveal a collection of human-sized chunks where once a ship-sized mass had been.

“Good aim,” Congratulated Serpent.

“A little overkill on the power settings though, don’t you think?” Chimed in Vagen Eosel, his voice sounding displeased (though that could have been a side-effect of his breath mask).

Yandeer shrugged.  “We have to know what this boat can do, sir.”

“Point taken,” Agreed Zail.  “Now, the single turbolaser turrets, please.”

Four weapons spewed bright green beams into space, but only three connected with nearby asteroids.  The Captain frowned.  “Problem?”

The Weapon’s Chief was already demanding an explanation from the subordinate who had missed.  With his answer received, Yandeer turned around to face his CO.  “The gunner says he had a perfect lock, sir,” He explained.  “He suspects a slight error in the targeting computer and is checking it now.”

“Not good enough, Mr Yandeer,” Snarled Eosel.

Serpent did not object to his XO’s tone, but neither did he condone it.  Instead he said, “Have your man run the checks as needed, and then we shall try again.  We are under no time limits here, and the point of this exercise is to work out the bugs.”

“Thank you, sir,” Said Yandeer, “It will be sorted soon, I promise.”

Zail nodded, accepting the man’s word.  “In the meantime I believe we have some Concussion Missile launchers that need tested.  Let’s load tubes Aurek and Besh and then...”

Suddenly he was cut off by Dev Mishima, who spoke up with alarm, “Sir!  Passive scanners have detected high energy output consistent with a vessel, 17 klicks away!”

“Transponder?” Asked Vagen Eosel quickly, hoping for a quick ID of the other ship.

“Not receiving,” Said the Sensor Chief.  “And without that I cannot determine if the vessel is a friend or a foe.”

“Then there are two possibilities,” Said Serpent.  “Either they are damaged and in need of assistance, or they are hiding in an attempt to sneak up on us.”

“We are on the edge of the Unknown Regions, Captain,” Said Eosel.  “No reason any ship should be out here unless it has hostile intent.”

“A reasonable assumption, XO,” Said Zail, “But I am not about to rush in guns blazing until I know what it is.  All hands step up to Yellow Alert.  Miss Samasl, plot in an intercept course.  Mr Mishima, bring full active scans to bear and let me know the class of that vessel.  And Mr Yandeer, get that last turbolaser working, we may just need it.”

Immediately the Defiance swung about, and in moments had begun its advance.

OOC:
1129 words.

After Action Report:  Serpent, now Captain of the CR90 Defiance, leads his ship and crew on a shakedown cruise.  In the uninhabited Dreshal system they test the weapons on some asteroids, but are interrupted when an unknown ship is detected nearby.  They will now go to investigate.
MS/WO2 Pherik “Serpent” Zail / LCR Courage/TF: TH/3Flt/VENA/VEN/VE
[SoA][MC2][LoM][NAR][E][SWC][CBV][SoV][MiD][VC:G][1NS][=*Eng*=][=BO=]

"It isn't the killing, you know.  It's the beauty of battles that I love - the choreography and the challenge of executing everything just right - and the challenge of matching your wits against a capable opponent." - Gilad Pellaeon
Serpent
ComNet Member
Imperial Baronet

Serpent

Post Number:  455
  RE: Defiance: Serpent: Shakedown Cruise
August 24, 2012 7:54:09 AM    View the profile of Serpent 
OOC:

This is my first NPC viewpoint post.

The CR90 Defiance glided through the asteroid field of the Dreshal System, deftly slipping between the rocky debris that lay strewn in its path.  Smaller asteroids were deflected by the corvette’s shields, but to evade the larger obstacles the Corellian vessel had to be expertly piloted around them.

That was where Chief Helmsman Ysanne Samasl came in.  Her skills as a pilot had been honed over her years as a cargo runner prior to joining the Vast Empire, but never in her career had she been at the helm of something as large as a CR90 corvette.  Tension was clear on her lean face, and her glittering dark brown eyes were narrowed in concentration.

“You are doing fine, Miss Samasl,” Soothed Captain Zail from behind her on the bridge.  The Alderaanian had a cultured voice that lent itself well to authority, and Ysanne drew on the confidence that her CO instilled.

“Nearly there, sir,” She assured him, watching the range to target tick down.  Some ship was out there, just six klicks away now, and a cautious curiosity had gripped the crew regarding it.  Seated close to Ysanne, the Sensor Chief Dev Mishima had run a distant scan of the target, but its scanner shadow matched nothing on record.  Much as Samasl detested the smart-mouthed womaniser, she had to admit that Mishima was actually competent at his post.  That he had got nothing conclusive was very strange.

“Are you still getting the energy signal?” Asked the ship’s XO, Vagen Eosel.

“I am,” Confirmed Mishima.  “Whatever that ship is, it’s holding position until we get there... whenever that will be...”

Ysanne did not miss the jibe.  “If you don’t like my driving, Mishima, feel free to get out and walk!” She snapped back.

“Easy people,” Said Captain, reproach in his voice.

“Sorry, sir,” Said the two bridge officers in unison.

Ysanne then refocused on her task, steering the Defiance around another large asteroid, and as they emerged from the rock’s shadow, they laid eyes on the target.

The vessel before them was like nothing any of them had ever seen.  In length it was comparable to their own ship, and was clearly in the corvette class.  In shape it was a stretched polyhedron with dozens of sides, and had no discernible bridge or engine, thus confounding any way to deduce if it was facing them or not.  The edges of the joints were smoothed over, giving the ship a pleasing shape.  Finally, a rusty-red paint job gave the ship a quiet menace as it drifted alone in the asteroid field.

There was silence on the bridge as the Defiance’s senior staff stared blankly at the beautiful craft before them.

“Full scan, Mr Mishima,” Commanded Captain Zail at last.  “Miss Samasl, hold position here.”

“Yes, sir,” Said Ysanne, working the controls before her, easing back on the throttle, balancing out the forward motion with the front stabilising thrusters, and bringing the Defiance to a dead stop.

Still, as she looked at the mysterious vessel, a bad feeling crept up her spine.  Ysanne was reminded suddenly of a hiking trip on her homeworld of Bakura, where she and some native Bakur friends of hers had stumbled across a nest of Greater Cratsch.  The fierce predators had regarded the interlopers in total silence, barely reacting.  Ysanne and her friends stared back for a few moments that felt like an eternity, before their common sense over-rode their wonder and they ran away.

Ysanne kept her hands on the helm controls, ready to run away again.

“Shall we try hailing them?” She heard the XO ask the Captain in a low voice.  If the masked Kel Dor thought his voice would not carry across the bridge then he was very much mistaken.

“This close to the Unknown Regions leads me to predict that this ship hails from there,” Ysanne heard the Captain reply.  “We can hail them, but I doubt they will speak Basic.  Do we have any xenolinguists on board?”

There were blank looks all round, as the bridge officers all looked at each other and got nothing.

“Bang goes that idea,” Commented Dev Mishima.

“Aren’t you also the Com Officer?” Ysanne could not help but point out.  “Shouldn’t you have some training in languages?”

“I can speak several languages, in fact,” Bragged Mishima, smiling at her in a superior fashion.  Turning to Captain Zail, he asked, “Want me to try and speak to them, sir?”

The Alderaanian CO shrugged.  “Sure, let’s try this.”

“Hailing now,” Said Mishima.

Ysanne watched the idiot at work, and held her breath.

-----

The hologram erupted into life in the centre of the bridge, life-sized and flickering blue.  Mishima had barely confirmed that the other ship had responded to his transmission when the aliens sent the holocall that Captain Zail had, albeit reluctantly, accepted.

Now the assembled senior staff of the Defiance got their first look at the occupants of the strange vessel.

Only a single alien was visible in the hologram, but everyone studied what details were available.  The being was humanoid and as tall as the Captain, but there the similarity ended.  Clad in loose trousers and swathed in long inner and outer robes, all of which were evidently the same uniform colour (though the hologram made that colour unknowable).  The bland ensemble reminded Ysanne instantly of some sort of monk, at least until she got to the head.

The alien wore a head-dress, flat on top and falling down around its back and shoulders.  This left only the face visible, and here everyone on the bridge saw this species’ most distinctive feature.  There was no mouth.  There was a flat nose and wide, predatory eyes, but between those and the distinctly pointed chin there was nothing.

“Perhaps we won’t be needing a linguist...” Suggested Mishima.

Just then something else swung into the holo-image.  It was mechanical and about the size of a combat training remote, and was clearly moving under similar repulsor technology.  The object, a perfect dodecahedron, was swiftly joined by a trio of identical devices, and they hung before the alien, circling each other slowly.

The CO seemed to take all this in, and was the first to speak.  “Greetings.  Permit me to introduce myself.  I am Captain Pherik Zail of the Vast Imperial Naval ship Defiance.  Whom do I have the honour of addressing?”

The words hung in the air for a few moments as Ysanne and the rest of the bridge crew waited for a response.  When it came, it took them all by surprise.

One of the floating devices in the image lit up, and emitted a string of high notes.  Despite the mechanical origin, these were not the bleeps of an astromech droid, but more like the high soprano notes of a choir, and the noise seemed as much music as anything else.

The heavenly sounds persisted for a full twenty seconds, and then fell silent as the floating device ceased to glow.

“These beings lack mouths,” Whispered Ysanne, low enough that the holocall would not pick her up her voice.  “They must use those devices to speak.”

“What are you, the narrator?” Countered Mishima, but the nodding of the rest of the bridge crew indicated that they concurred with the Bakuran woman’s analysis.

“My apologies,” Continued Captain Zail, clearly at a loss but pressing on, “We cannot comprehend your tongue.  Perhaps if we transmitted a sampling of our linguistic database you may take some time to study it?”

The alien figure’s eyes were locked on the Alderaanian, and confusion flickered there too.  Now a different device floated forward, and emitted its own string of sounds, these far less harmonious than the last.

“That sounded distinctly confused,” Observed Kol Yandeer from the Weapons post.

“Should we send the data on our language regardless, Captain?” Asked Vagen Eosel at his superior’s side.

Zail nodded, and flicked his eyes to the Sensor/Com Station.  “Yes.  Mr Mishima, if you will.  Send them a copy of Basic, plus a dozen other major trade tongues.”  Turning back to the alien, he said, “Please, just a moment.  We are sending something that may be of use to you.”

“Transmitting,” Said Mishima after a few seconds.

The silent alien waited patiently for a few moments, clearly aware that the Imperials were doing something.  Eventually he turned, facing off-camera, and no doubt was being told something by his own officers.

Suddenly the holo-image flickered violently, switching from the alien to static and back again several times as Dev Mishima raced to steady the signal.

“What’s happening?” Demanded the Captain.

“Unknown!” Replied the Com Chief, “The fault is not at our end, it must be at theirs!”

A few seconds later and the image resolved itself, but the alien’s calm demeanour was gone.  His eyes were narrowed in what was clearly anger, and now a third device raced forward and began to glow.  As it did it emitted a sound more akin to screeching, like nails dragged across a board and then run through a megaphone.  All those on the bridge of Defiance winced at the discordance, and not one of them doubted that this was an expression of anger.

“I don’t understand!” Protested Captain Zail, who, unlike the other officers, was trying to remain dignified by not covering his ears with his hands.  “It was just data, why are you so upset?”

He barely got out the last word before the other ship cut the transmission.

“Sir!” Said Mishima, now looking not at his Com systems but at the Sensors.  “Those strange energy readings are building!”

“Frak!” Cursed the Captain, for the first time since Ysanne had met him actually losing his cool in front of the crew.  “Mr Yandeer, raise shields!  Ms Samasl, get us out of here!”

She was already ahead of him, Ysanne hitting the throttle and swinging the corvette around as fast as she could to put some distance between them and the strange ship.

“Captain!” Shouted Mishima, his voice openly worried.  “The alien ship is opening gun ports and... yes, it’s launching fighters!”

“Move it, Miss Samasl!” Shouted the Captain with more urgency.

“Yes, sir, we are gone!” Replied the Bakuran, as she completed the ship’s turn and raced for the cover of a nearby asteroid.

As the other ship began to open fire and give chase, Ysanne Samasl felt the tension in her stomach grow.  A capital ship battle in the middle of an asteroid field?  Now this would certainly test her piloting skills...

OOC:
1752 words.  A little bit Star Trek I admit, meeting a strange new alien race, but I figure it must happen in the Star Wars galaxy too.

After Action Report:  The CR90 Defiance has encountered a ship from an unknown alien species.  Captain Zail tries to communicate, but the aliens lack mouths and speak through floating devices.  Sending the other ship a copy of the Imperial linguistics database seems to somehow have angered them, and now the aliens have opened fire on the VE vessel.
MS/WO2 Pherik “Serpent” Zail / CR90 Defiance /TF: TH/3Flt/VENA/VEN/VE
[SoA][MC2][LoM][NAR][E][SWC][CBV][SoV][MiD][VC:G][1NS][=*Eng*=][=BO=]

"It isn't the killing, you know.  It's the beauty of battles that I love - the choreography and the challenge of executing everything just right - and the challenge of matching your wits against a capable opponent." - Gilad Pellaeon
Serpent
ComNet Member
Imperial Baronet

Serpent

Post Number:  472
September 10, 2012 9:38:19 PM    View the profile of Serpent 
OOC:

This is a post for the heavy NPC interaction requirement.

Captain Pherik Zail, standing in the middle of the bridge, looked at the nearby tactical hologram.  His ship, the CR90 Defiance, was displayed in clean green light, hurtling past dozens of nearby asteroids rendered in faint blue.  Giving chase to their flight were four red holograms, recently created from scans taken of their new foe.  The aliens were like nothing on record, and it had taken the system a few minutes to incorporate their likeness into the display.

Zail stared at the craft, one large corvette hanging back and its three recently launched fighters hot on their tail.  Like the parent vessel, the fighters were mathematically perfect shapes, these ones six-sided and elongated into a point, initially giving Serpent’s crew the impression that they were in fact massive missiles.

“They are making another pass,” Observed his XO, Vagen Eosel, who had a knack for stating the obvious.  The three small craft closed the distance to the Defiance, shown in real-time on the hologram, and then the ship shook slightly under a barrage of shots.

“Permission to return fire!” Requested his Weapons Chief, Kol Yandeer.  The big man was looking decidedly uncomfortable with his ship being a sitting duck, and he visibly ached to counter with fire of his own.

“Denied!” Commanded Zail firmly.  A moment later and the ship ceased rocking, as the three fighters completed their pass.  “Damage?”

“Minimal,” Said Chief Engineer Xela Fendar.  “Shields were reduced six percent.  Combined with the other two attacks, we are now holding at eighty-one percent.”

“Do we have enough data to gauge their capabilities yet?” Asked Eosel, the Kel Dor carefully monitoring the battle statistics on the tactical hologram.

Fendar nodded.  The Khil was an expert in technology, and also had a gift for mathematical calculations.  “Assuming that they are firing at full power, the weapons of these unknown hostile fighters are only three-fifths as powerful as comparable Imperial starfighter cannons.”

“These aliens have strange ship designs,” Mused Zail, “But while different, their technology is not actually superior.”

Smart-mouthed Dev Mishima, sat at the Com Station, snorted.  “Inferior to our tech?  Wow, did these guys contract Ewoks to build their Navy?”

“Shut up, Mishima,” Snapped Helmsman Ysanne Samasl, saving Zail or Eosel the trouble of saying it themselves.

“What do you think, sir?” Asked Eosel.  “Do we return fire yet?”

“I’m not killing people who I am not even sure are our enemies,” Said the Captain.  “I would like to re-establish contact if possible.  Ant luck with the hails?” He asked Mishima.

At the Com Station, the Petty Officer shook his head.  “No response, sir.”

Serpent cursed.  “Suggestions people?” He asked his bridge crew.

Ysanne Samasl gestured to the nav terminal.  “I can steer us clear and we can jump away quite easily, sir,” She said.  “I doubt they have the ability to stop us.”

Run away!” Exclaimed Eosel, incredulous at the suggestion.  “Miss Samasl, you have a strange approach to battle.”

“This isn’t a battle,” Said Serpent coldly to his XO.  “And I don’t want it turning into one.  Miss Samasl, you are correct, that we could end this encounter quite simply by withdrawing.  We will keep that option open, but for now I wish to stay and learn about these aliens.  The question remains, how?”

“We shoot them down,” Said Kol Yandeer firmly.  “This ship doesn’t have ion cannons, but we can still disable these enemy fighters easily enough by targeting their engines.”

Dev Mishima frowned at his best friend.  Mishima was both Com Officer and Sensor Chief, and it was in the latter role that he spoke to Yandeer.  “Kol, the scans I am running are hardly conclusive.  I am not even sure where on these symmetrically perfect foes their engines are located!  How can we hit them?”

The Weapons Chief shrugged.  “Their engines are probably at the back of the starfighters, like any other ship.  Just look at how those fighters are manoeuvring,” He said, gesturing to the tactical hologram beside his Captain.  “Those are the same patterns and moves that you will see from everything from X-Wings to TIEs.”

“I don’t recall seeing a stint with the Starfighter Corps on your record, Mr Yandeer,” Said Zail carefully.

“Oh I’ve never flown a fighter,” Replied the Weapons Chief honestly.  “But I am a gunner, and to hit ones’ foes you have to have a feel for how they move.  Trust me, I’ve studied starfighter movement in some detail, and these guys are nothing strange in that department.  Their engine and thrusters physics must be comparable to our own, and so simple common sense then dictates that their engines must be located in the same general area as a Republic or Imperial fighter.”

Serpent nodded, following the other man’s reasoning.  “So we disable one of these aliens and bring them on board for questioning?”

“Yes, sir, exactly,” Said Yandeer.

Zail glanced around the bridge, but aside from Samasl’s plan to simply leave, no other ideas presented themselves.  “Okay, let’s give this a try then.  Helm, hold us as steady as you can without driving us into an asteroid.  Wait until these three come back around for another pass and then let’s do this.  Mr Yandeer, let me be clear.  I don’t want to kill these pilots.  Make it a clean shot, disable, and that is all.  Understood?”

“Yes, sir,” Replied the big man, settling in at the weapon’s control for the port laser cannon and getting ready.  His face was already set with rigid concentration, and he seemed totally focused on the image in the targeting system.

“Here they come again,” Said Vagen Eosel.

“Steady... steady...” Said Captain Zail to Samasl at the helm.

“Lining up the shot...” Said Yandeer, speaking almost to himself.

Serpent’s cool blue eyes followed the images on the tactical display.  Out of the corner of his eye he saw Yandeer squeeze the trigger, and then saw one of the trio of alien ship holograms spiral out of formation from its fellows.

“Hit!” Exclaimed the Weapons Chief, his voice full of triumph.  “They enemy ship is adrift!”

“Life readings?” Demanded Zail instantly, eager to ensure that the pilot was still alive.

“The pilot is showing as fine,” Said Dev Mishima at the Sensor Station.  “However, if his ship collides with one of those nearby asteroids he won’t be!”

“Recover him now!” Ordered Serpent.  “Miss Samasl, bring us in closer!  Extend the docking tube, and send a squad of Stormtroopers to the airlock to secure the pilot.  Mr Yandeer, firing warning shots to drive off the other two fighters during the recovery, but don’t hit them.”

The bridge crew echoed back with a series of “Yes, sir!” And got about their tasks.

“Now,” Said Serpent to his XO, “Let’s get some answers...”

OOC:
1126 words.

After Action Report:  The CR90 Defiance is being attacked by the unidentified aliens, but their weapons are not any real threat.  Determined to learn more, Captain Zail orders the disabling and capture of an enemy fighter.  The pilot is now being recovered alive and the CO of the Defiance is hoping for some answers.
[SoA][MC2][LoM][NAR][E][CBV][SoV][MiD][VC:G][1NS][GWC][=*Eng*=][=BO=]

"It isn't the killing, you know.  It's the beauty of battles that I love - the choreography and the challenge of executing everything
just right - and the challenge of matching your wits against a capable opponent." - Gilad Pellaeon
Serpent
ComNet Member
Imperial Baronet

Serpent

Post Number:  483
September 21, 2012 7:38:27 AM    View the profile of Serpent 
OOC:

This is the second NPC viewpoint post.

Doctor Padrin Praan could not recall when he had last felt so excited!  In his youth, the Arkanian had spent years serving on one of his people’s scientific exploration ships.  Xenobiology was a constant fascination for him, and then, when the galaxy had erupted in full-scale Civil War, he had regrettably had to turn his scientific skills to the mundane world of medicine.

As a regular Doctor, he had treated military personnel for headaches and bruises and other pointless injuries that a mere droid could have dealt with.  Transfer to Captain Zail’s ship, the Defiance, had hardly been a step up.  Praan had languished in a sub-standard joke of a medical facility, filling his time with endless cleaning and inventory checks.

And now, against all the odds, his idiot of a Captain had done something right.  Somehow, the Blue-eyed Snake had fumbled about and led his ship into contact with a totally new race!  Praan was ecstatic!

The old Arkanian felt thirty years younger, giddy with delight, as four Stormtroopers, led by the ship’s XO, brought a repulsor-sled into his sickbay.  Upon the sled lay a humanoid alien, roughly 1.7 meters in height.  Praan stared at the figure with instant fascination.

“Is it alive?” He asked, as the troopers began to transfer the being to a medical table.

“He appears to be,” Said the Kel Dor First Officer, Vagen Eosel.  “We shot down his ship, but were able to recover him intact.  He appears to have been rendered unconscious, but since we have no idea how quick these aliens recover, I shall leave these troopers here as guard.”

“Yes, yes, very good,” Replied Praan, hardly listening to the XO.  “You can go now,” He added, waving a hand dismissively.

Eosel scowled back, but after a moment’s pause turned and left the med bay without comment.

Praan was now totally focused on the alien.  He had already watched the recording from the bridge, where Captain Zail had attempted first contact via holo-call and somehow ended up insulting the aliens.  The figure that had appeared on the bridge then was swathed in long flowing robes.  However, the being on the table before the Doctor was much more sensibly dressed, being in a deep blue padded flight-suit.

The Arkanian ran a hand over the suited area, feeling the muscle and bone structure of the alien, and then turned to the head.  The cranium was encased in a helmet, matching the blue of the flight suit in colour, with a wide black visor.  Praan fumbled about with it for a few moments, as the watching Stormtroopers kept their weapons ready, and eventually succeeded in removing it.

Underneath, the head and face of the alien was revealed in all its glory, and the Doctor stared with a scientist’s careful fascination.  Short-cropped hair topped off a long, slender face, which tapered to a point at the jaw.  Or was jaw even the right word?  This alien, like the image of the one on the bridge, lacked a mouth, and had no other obvious form of vocal apparatus.

Praan thought back again to the hologram on the bridge, and recalled that the alien there had tried to communicate by using floating spheres that glowed and sang.  Searching through the pockets of the alien's flight suit, he found one such device, big enough to fit comfortably in the palm of his hand.  This, he figured, was clearly a form of communication common to all these aliens, but how did it work?

He began to investigate further...

-----

The Arkanian was totally lost in his own little world, and had no idea how long had passed before Captain Zail entered the med bay.  When Praan did not immediately respond to the presence of his superior, the Alderaanian CO crossed the floor to his side, looming over him as he worked.

The Doctor looked up, for even at full height he was noticeably shorter than the Captain.

“Yes?” He asked with a sigh, not bothering to conceal his annoyance at being interrupted.

Serpent scowled at the lack of ‘sir’ in Praan’s greeting, but chose not to dwell on it.  “What can you tell me, Doctor?” Asked Zail, somewhat impatiently.  “The aliens have backed off for now, no doubt surprised at how easily we took out one of their fighters.  We have their attention.  Now, tell me how to use it, so that I can end this encounter peacefully.”

Praan shrugged.  “I am no closer to figuring out how you provoked them into attacking, if that’s what you’re asking,” Replied the Arkanian.  “Perhaps the flight recorder in this being’s fighter?”

“Wasn’t one,” Said the Captain.  “What I want from you is how to talk to them.”

The Doctor smiled.  “Oh, there I can help!” He said, delighted to be given a chance to explain his theory.  “See this?” He said, pointing to the currently de-activated floating translator orb on a nearby table, “That’s how they communicate.”

“I guessed that,” Said Zail dryly, having seen them used before when he spoke to the alien captain.

Praan waved a chiding finger.  “Oh no, I don’t think you understand!  They use these devices for all communication.”

Serpent frowned.  “Go on.”

Praan gestured to the base of the alien’s skull, where a series of mechanical devices had been fused into the pilot’s skin and spine.  “These cybernetic implants are linked directly into the alien’s nervous system,” Explained the Arkanian.  “And then they relay the alien’s thoughts to this orb, which we thought was just a translation device.”

“So it’s more than that?” Prompted Zail, intrigued despite himself.

“Oh much more!” Declared the Doctor.  “These aliens may lag behind us in firepower, but their knowledge of cybernetics is awesome, almost as good as that of my own people!  The data transfer between this alien and this device is staggering.  Not just words to communicate, but data transfer not unlike a computer.”

“So...”

“So they use these orbs for everything!” Said Praan.  “Or at least, so I believe.  I would hypothesise that these orbs not only emit sound for conversation, but can interface with the alien’s ships and technology.  While not outright controlling their machines with their thoughts, I theorise that the orbs relay status updates and other valuable data between the ship and its operator.  This would be far quicker than a Heads Up Display on a starfighter, or operating a bridge terminal.”

“Inferior weapons and shields, but greater reaction time,” Said Zail, summing up the alien’s tactical ability relative to the Vast Empire’s.  “How does this help us?”

The Doctor shrugged.  “It doesn’t.  That data-transfer is running right now, even with the alien unconscious.  Perhaps the orb is recording his bio-data or something, I’m not sure.  In fact, I have no idea what data the transfer contains, so sorting out their language from the rest of it is impossible.”

“So we can’t talk to them?” Asked the Captain, angered that this whole conversation, and indeed capture operation, had led to naught.

“Spot on,” Said the Arkanian.  “Still, it’s all very fascinating, wouldn’t you agree?”

“No,” Snarled Zail.  “Fine, I’ll find some other way to resolve this mess.  Some way that doesn’t involve communication.”

And with that he stormed off.

Doctor Padrin Praan watched him go, bemused by this Captain’s lack of scientific curiosity, and then returned to his research.  There was still so much to learn...

OOC:
1231 words.

After Action Report:  Doctor Padrin Praan investigates the unconscious alien and draws some remarkable conclusions about how this new species communicate.  Alas, he cannot provide Captain Zail with any intel on who they are or what they want, so Serpent is getting frustrated.  With no way to communicate with the aliens, he must find a different way to resolve the situation.

"It isn't the killing, you know.  It's the beauty of battles that I love - the choreography and the challenge of executing everything
just right - and the challenge of matching your wits against a capable opponent." - Gilad Pellaeon
Serpent
ComNet Member
Imperial Baronet

Serpent

Post Number:  488
September 26, 2012 9:38:26 AM    View the profile of Serpent 
OOC:

This is the second post for the heavy NPC interaction requirement, and the fifth and final post of this story (and indeed my entire Ship Captain Training Programme!).

Pherik ‘Serpent’ Zail sat in his Captain’s office, pondering the problem before him.  Rotating slowly on his desk was the hologram image of the alien warship, a mathematically perfect elongated polyhedron, and totally symmetrical.  The corvette-sized vessel had pursued his own CR90, the Defiance, throughout the asteroid field of the Dreshal System.  However, despite several hours of cat-and-mouse, they had yet to exchange direct fire.  Instead the aliens had attacked the VE ship with starfighters, which had proved woefully incapable of harming Serpent’s warship.

And still Zail had no idea who they were, or how he had erred so badly as to upset them into attacking.

Standing across the table from him, Serpent’s Kel Dor XO coughed, causing the Captain to take his vision from the hologram and look up at him.  “You have something to say, Vagen?”

Vagen Eosel, a very by-the-book man, was looking uncomfortable.  “Sir, we were expected back at Belgaroth some time ago.”

“I am aware of the timetable,” Said Serpent simply.

“We have done all we can here,” Pressed the First Officer.  “The aliens continue to ignore our hails, and do not seem able to keep up with us to successfully engage us in battle.  This stalemate is achieving nothing.  The time has come to depart.”

Zail sighed deeply.  “I don’t like leaving it at this,” He said earnestly.  “We have upset these aliens and I want to set things straight before we leave.”

“We have one of their number captive,” Said Eosel.  “Some months to study his language, followed by a lengthy interrogation by VENI, and we could have some insight into these hostiles.”

“And in the meantime,” Said Serpent dryly, “The aliens launch a war against the VE and I get the blame.”

The Kel Dor raised an eyebrow.  “I highly doubt that, Captain.”

Zail turned off the hologram and rose from his chair, drawing himself to his full height.  “Very well, we are leaving.”

“Yes, sir,” Said the First Officer, sounding relieved.

“However,” Added Serpent, “There is something I want to do first...”

-----

Zail strode into the bridge, Eosel in tow, and quickly moved to the side of the Sensor Chief, Dev Mishima.

“Where are they now?” He asked.

“The alien vessel has recalled its two remaining fighters and is holding 5 klicks out,” Said the Petty Officer.  “They are hiding behind a large asteroid, but otherwise are doing little.”

Turning to the Helmsman, Ysanne Samasl, Serpent said, “Plot an intercept course.  Swing us around the asteroid and into optimal firing range.”

The Bakuran woman hesitated for a moment, and then nodded.  “Yes, sir,” She said and began laying in her route to the target.

Vagen Eosel was stunned.  “Sir?  Am I to understand that we are attacking?”

“We are,” Confirmed the Captain.  “We are going to pummel these aliens for daring to strike at a VEN vessel.”

“I... I thought you wanted to resolve this peacefully!” Exclaimed the XO.

“Peace is bought through war,” Said Zail bluntly, and turned to his Weapons Chief.  “Mr Yandeer!  Ready weapons, I want us to hit them hard and fast the moment we clear the edge of the asteroid.”

“Understood, sir!” Said the big man, grinning at the thought of a fight.  All the running away over the last few hours had not sat well with him.

“Miss Samasl,” Said the Captain, seeing that the Helmsman’s course had been calculated.  “Take us in!”

-----

Data streamed across terminals as the Defiance geared for battle.  Status reports, readiness updates, calculated lines of movement and attack.  Standing in the centre of the bridge, Zail marvelled at the smooth mathematics as the warship- his warship- expressed itself to his crew.  There was something comforting in all those facts and figures, a summary of the awesome vessel that was his to command.

“Miss Fendar, raise shields!” Said Vagen Eosel to the ship’s oft-quiet Chief Engineer.  “All hands to battle stations!”

As the Corellian corvette approached to within a kilometre of the asteroid shielding their prey, Dev Mishima spoke up.  “Sir!  Movement of the enemy vessel!  They are showing a spike in power usage!”

“Shields and weapons?” Asked Serpent.

“Unknown, sir,” Said Mishima, sounding annoyed by his own lack of understanding.  “I still can’t get a clear picture of this alien tech of theirs.  They could be totally inferior to us, or vastly superior.”

Zail smiled, projecting confidence for his crew.  “I guess we’ll find out in a few moments then, won’t we?”

There was silence on the bridge for next few moments, as everyone privately wondered what they were headed into.  Serpent remained looking calm, but inside he had his fears.  Was this the right thing to do?  He had no idea, but then he supposed that was the trial of command.

And then suddenly they cleared the asteroid, swinging around at the corvette’s top speed and into optimal firing position.  The enemy vessel, strangely beautiful in its simple yet elegant design, hung before them.  Hatches along the target’s sides had opened, revealing broadsides of four cannons each, and the aliens had rotated their vessels to bring one such broadside to bear.

“Fire!” Said Zail softly, as he and his bridge crew stared down the guns of their foe.

“With pleasure, sir!” Declared Kol Yandeer.

Both vessels fired near-simultaneously, a storm of fire erupting between them.  The Vast Imperial warship lashed out with a barrage of bright emerald beams, whereas the aliens replied with a spread of amethyst spheres.  Deflector shields blazed, swallowing the lethal energy of their rivals, and Captain Zail marvelled at the display of light.

“Shield status?” He asked his Chief Engineer, Xela Fendar, anxious to know how they had held up in the initial exchange.

“Down just eleven percent and holding, sir,” Replied the small-voiced Khil woman.  “Negligible.”

“And the enemy?” Asked the XO, Vagen Eosel.

Dev Mishima shrugged.  “No damage to their hull,” He said, stating the obvious.  “As for their shields... no idea.  The harmonics of their deflectors make about as much sense as a drunk Jedi talking about the nature of the Force.”

“I wonder...” Mused Serpent.  “Are they having as much trouble reading us?”

“Captain,” Said Mishima.  “The enemy vessel is adjusting position.  Its port batteries are no longer able to fire at us, and they are shifting to bring their starboard batteries to bear instead.”

“Perhaps we hit their shields harder than we thought?” Ventured Xela Fendar, speaking up for once.  Clearly she was as intrigued as everyone else by the strange aliens.  “Perhaps their starboard shields are stronger?”

“Or perhaps,” Added Kol Yandeer, “Their weapons cannot sustain a lengthy barrage, and they need to switch to non-overheated cannons?”

“Either way,” Said Zail, “They have tipped their hand.  Miss Samasl,” He said to his helmsman, “Hold position!  Mr Yandeer, prepare a single missile, fire on my mark.”

“Just the one, sir?” Queried the Weapons Chief.

“Just one,” Confirmed the Captain.  “And I want you to target their weapons.  See if we can knock out one of those batteries.”

The Defiance’s gunners kept up their assault on the alien ship as Yandeer prepared the ordinance.  Serpent watched the fighting carefully, noting the fluctuations in the enemy’s shields as turbolaser shot after turbolaser shot hammered at the alien deflectors.  Were the enemy weakening or not?  It was so hard to tell without sensors.

“Our own shields are now down to seventy-one percent,” Announced Xela Fendar after the latest barrage from their aliens’ guns.

“Ordinance loaded and ready in the port tube!” Announced the Weapons Chief.

“Take careful aim, Mr Yandeer,” Ordered Zail.  “Their weapons only... and fire!”

The concussion missile shot out from the corvette, its thrusters burning red amidst the green and purple laser fire filling the surrounding space.  Serpent and his bridge crew watched it carefully, wondering if the enemy had the awareness and the skill to shoot the warhead before impact.

They did not.

With precision aiming, the concussion missile slammed hard into the starboard side of the alien ship, the explosion tearing apart the hull and obliterating two of the four enemy cannons there.

There were a few secondary explosions in that part of the ship, but nothing powerful enough to destroy the enemy corvette outright.  However, significant damage had been done.  As the bridge crew of the Defiance watched, the alien vessel ceased firing with its remaining guns.

“Cease fire!” Zail ordered his own people, and the guns of the CR90 fell quiet.

With the chaos of the laserfire exchange ended, the space between the two warships was suddenly peaceful, and the bridge was quiet.

“Anything on sensors?” Serpent asked Dev Mishima.

“Nothing concrete,” Replied the Sensor Chief.  “Significant hull damage, but I cannot tell how badly the ship is actually affected.  Their power and shield readings are as strange as ever.”  He was finished speaking, but then something caught the Petty Officer’s eye.  “Wait!  Movement!  The alien ship is withdrawing its remaining cannons and closing its gun ports!”

“They are standing down,” Noted Vagen Eosel needlessly.

Serpent nodded.  “Indeed they are,” He said with a smile.  Just as I hoped.

“Hail them,” Said Zail, though he did not expect a reply.

Mishima, doubling up in his role as Com Chief, sent a transmission but soon shook his head to confirm a negative response.  Still the aliens did not want to talk to the Vast Imperials, and remained silent.

“Perhaps they don’t want to beg for their lives,” Suggested Yandeer.  “If they are beat, they may just want us to finish it.”

“We aren’t finishing anyone,” Said Serpent firmly.  “I wanted to end our little chase and get their attention, I’ve done that.  Mr Eosel, take a group of Stormtroopers down to the med bay.  Have Dr Praan hand over our ‘guest’,” He said, referring to the alien pilot they had captured.  “Load him into an escape pod.  Send him back to his people.”

The Kel Dor looked surprised.  “Sir!  He is a valuable resource on these aliens...”

“He is a living being from a regime that we are not at war with!” Snapped Captain Zail.  “We have no grounds to hold him.”  He then looked about the bridge.  He did not need to justify his decisions, but he did anyway.  “We have proven we can best these aliens in battle, and now we will prove that we are merciful.  Let them take that knowledge back to their people.”

The bridge crew were nodding in agreement.  None of them were experts in alien first contact scenarios, but in the face of an enemy that would not talk to them, this resolution seemed as good as any.

Eosel hurried from the bridge, and minutes later the escape pod was launched.  During that time the other ship did nothing except sit motionless in the shadow of a nearby asteroid.

“Pod is away,” Confirmed Dev Mishima.  “It is headed for the alien ship... they have it!  They have used some sort of tractor beam and are bringing it in.”

“Then we are done,” Said Zail with finality.  “Miss Samasl, calculate a hyperspace course back to Belgaroth.  I think we can safely say that our shakedown cruise is complete.”

“Yes, sir,” Said the woman from Bakura.

And a minute later, as the Defiance pulled clear of the asteroid field and accelerated to beyond the speed of light, Serpent wondered at his choice.  Was it the right one?  Were these aliens intimidated?  Grateful?  Confused?  Would he or the Vast Empire ever see them again?  And most curious of all, would he ever find out how he had offended them enough to provoke an attack from them?

He had no way to know.  Only time would tell.

OOC:
1945 words.  It’s taken me a while, but my SCTP is now done!

After Action Report:  Serpent decides to resolve the encounter with the unknown alien vessel by taking the Defiance in to attack.  The alien ship proves no match for VE technology, but Zail orders his people to hold off destroying it.  Instead he leaves the aliens alive, even handing back their captured crewman, as a show that the VE is merciful and wishes them no ill will.  Serpent and his crew then leave, hoping that they had done the right thing.

ComNet > Imperial Navy > Archived Naval Story Board > Defiance: Serpent: Shakedown Cruise  |  New Posts    

All times are CST. The time now is 1:00:09 PM
Comnet Jump:

Current Online Members - 0  |  Guests - 154  |  Bots - 2

< Contact Us - The Vast Empire >