ComNet Marshal

Trykon

[VE-DJO] Dark Jedi Templar
[VE-NAVY] Vice Commodore

Post Number:  2962
Total Posts:  3784
  RE: Naval History & Timeline
May 22, 2013 8:09:57 PM    View the profile of Trykon 
When I get the time to churn a couple out, I'll CC you both.
CNW/VCOM Wyl "Trick" Trykon/ISD Adjudicator/TF:A/2Flt/FC/VEN/VE

[SoA][SoV][BWC][NSM][E][NAR][HNS][DSM][SWC][1NS][VC:B][LoM][VC:S][NC][GWC][VC:G][CoB][CC:4][2NS][LSM][VC:E][MSM][CNQST][IGC]
(=*AE*=)(=*SAE*=)(=*TG*=)(=*SCFE*=)(=*FOCE*=)

CM/DJT Trykon/DJO/VEDJ
Gurlanin
ComNet Member

Gurlanin

[VE-NAVY] Petty Officer 2nd Class

Post Number:  437
Total Posts:  757
May 28, 2013 10:33:20 AM    View the profile of Gurlanin 
Just wondering how you were getting on, Tryk? Was hoping to use your style as a template.
Petty Officer 2nd Class Grent "Gurlanin" Notimo, 58th (Strill) Squadron

FL | PO2 Gurlanin | Iron 8 | S:58 "Strill" | W:101 "Blade" | ISD II "Adjudicator" | TF: Aurek | 2nd Fleet | SC | VEN | VE

Imperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars Image
Imperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars Image

(=^TG^=)
{GrAt}{AFM}{Infl}{SFT}{Gunn}{Shut}{Slice}{0Gee}
Trykon
ComNet Marshal

Trykon

[VE-DJO] Dark Jedi Warrior
[VE-NAVY] Vice Commodore

Post Number:  3006
May 28, 2013 12:14:05 AM    View the profile of Trykon 
Ah.  Um.  Yeah.  The thing is, the stories for 2013 are pretty dependent on the ones from 2012 and even 2011.  Turns out, the Navy's been writing the Dominion War for a while. 

I realized a couple days ago that I wasn't going to be able to turn something out in a hurry.  I should've told you then: you shouldn't wait on me.  Editing/revision is a lot easier than generating content, so just go ahead and get started, wherever you think is best.  We can always go back and fix it up later. 

[SoA][SoV][BWC][NSM][E][NAR][HNS][DSM][SWC][1NS][VC:B][LoM][VC:S][NC][GWC][VC:G][CoB][CC:4][2NS][LSM][VC:E][MSM][CNQST][IGC]

CM/DJT Trykon/DJO/VEDJ
Gurlanin
ComNet Member

Gurlanin

Post Number:  444
June 5, 2013 4:50:45 PM    View the profile of Gurlanin 
Oh yeah .... this ......

<.<

>.>

No, I hadn't forgotten. I've drafted out some (very) basic outlines for how this is going to work, but, because of what Tryk said about stories being dependant on each other, I'm not going to start in a certain place. Rather, I'm going to write out a brief summary of each story independently, then link them up later. So, there isn't going to be any specific order to this, other than "here's the list of what I've done/have yet to do". Because everything is so interlinked. Chronologically it doesn't work.

My theory is that any newbies would want to know the most recent history first. Due to this, I'm going to write a "most recent history" spiel for the wiki, that the academy can link to for any new trainees. This will, of course, be superseded by the finished project, but for now will do the trick.

If there are no objections, I should have the written piece posted here for review by the end of the week.

FL | PO2 Gurlanin | Iron 8 | S:58 "Strill" | W:101 "Blade" | ISD II "Adjudicator" | TF: Aurek | 2nd Fleet | SC | VEN | VE

Imperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars Image

(=^TG^=)
Trykon
ComNet Marshal

Trykon

[VE-NAVY] Vice Commodore

Post Number:  3023
June 5, 2013 5:00:29 PM    View the profile of Trykon 
Sounds good, Gur.  Glad to hear you've got a game plan worked out.  I look forward to seeing what you come up with, and I really like the "Recent history" idea.  I think doing this in stages, and prioritizing recent stuff first, makes a lot of sense.

SM/DWR Trykon/Dark Jedi/Shades/Raven L-04/DJO/VE [EoP]
TosthAaaiser
ComNet Initiate

TosthAaaiser

[VE-NAVY] Chief Petty Officer

Post Number:  126
Total Posts:  232
June 12, 2013 9:45:51 AM    View the profile of TosthAaaiser 
That does work quite well, Gur. Now that I'm back, if you need any help with any of the histories, I'll be glad to lend a hand when I'm not working on my portions of this project. I'm eventually going to need brief histories for stories/missions anyway.
JC |CPO Tosth “Fishhead” Aaaiser |ISD Adjudicator | TF:A | 2Flt |FC |VEN | VE
TO | CPO "Fishhead" | PLF Cappadocious | VENA | VEN | VE

Imperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars Image
Imperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars Image

{XenB}{LogS}{Shut}
Imperial Network Star Wars Image
Gurlanin
ComNet Member

Gurlanin

Post Number:  454
June 13, 2013 2:44:01 PM    View the profile of Gurlanin 
I've been falling behind on this due to the sheer amount of work that my lecturers have piled on me. So my part of this is on hold until next week, which then may fall further behind because of Chapter 9. Either way, I'm aiming to get rolling again next week.

(=^TG^=)
Trykon
ComNet Marshal

Trykon

[VE-NAVY] Vice Commodore

Post Number:  3045
June 13, 2013 3:37:26 PM    View the profile of Trykon 
Thanks for the update!  I think it's okay if this isn't the absolute top priority.  It's going to be amazing, when complete, but it's definitely a back-burner kind of project. 

[SoA][SoV][BWC][NSM][E][NAR][HNS][DSM][SWC][1NS][VC:B][LoM][VC:S][NC][GWC][VC:G][CoB][CC:4][2NS][LSM][VC:E][MSM][CNQST][IGC][IG]

TosthAaaiser
ComNet Initiate

TosthAaaiser

Post Number:  128
June 13, 2013 5:05:15 PM    View the profile of TosthAaaiser 
It will be. I'm slowly pushing forth with my projects... Just a lot of number processing right now. Not always easy to work on after working in a chemistry lab all day. But it is getting done.

And Trick, when you get a chance, I'm tossing around the idea of adding nested sort tables so there's options to sort the story posts by start date, total word count, and total story posts... Just may prove a bit difficult to accomplish.

Page is here. Any comments on the overall format would be much appreciated (e.g, the nested tables or other possible formats).

{XenB}{LogS}{Shut}
Trykon
ComNet Marshal

Trykon

[VE-NAVY] Vice Commodore

Post Number:  3050
June 13, 2013 5:11:45 PM    View the profile of Trykon 
That is the coolest thing I've seen on our wiki in a long time!  I LOVE that they're sortable!  Top notch!

[SoA][SoV][BWC][NSM][E][NAR][HNS][DSM][SWC][1NS][VC:B][LoM][VC:S][NC][GWC][VC:G][CoB][CC:4][2NS][LSM][VC:E][MSM][CNQST][IGC][IG]

Gurlanin
ComNet Member

Gurlanin

Post Number:  456
June 13, 2013 5:16:11 PM    View the profile of Gurlanin 
That is pretty awesome. Have to make sure that we stay on top of updating it, post count wise.

(=^TG^=)
Trykon
ComNet Marshal

Trykon

[VE-NAVY] Vice Commodore

Post Number:  3052
June 13, 2013 5:18:18 PM    View the profile of Trykon 
The only thing that might make it better is if the names were sorted alphabetically, without sorting by the ranks alphabetically.  See what I mean?  But, really, that's SO minor.  So cool, Fishhead!

Gurlanin
ComNet Member

Gurlanin

Post Number:  457
June 13, 2013 5:49:34 PM    View the profile of Gurlanin 
Probably would be best to have a 'rank' column.

(=^TG^=)
TosthAaaiser
ComNet Initiate

TosthAaaiser

Post Number:  129
June 13, 2013 6:17:07 PM    View the profile of TosthAaaiser 
That is a good categorization, Trick. We could do the 'rank' category, as Gur suggested. I'm just currently trying to log the immense amount of data from the last few years. I wanted to get a representative model up so we could discuss format while I prepare for data entry.

And on that note, I have two comments. I had been considering trying to integrate individual awards and promotions for the relevant missions as well. It isn't as important, but I thought it might be nice to have a full and cohesive project highlighting most of the major points on the OOC side of things. I don't know if this is viable at the time, but it is definitely something we might consider.

And secondly, as before, any help with this project would be immensely helpful, people. There is a much higher level of detail and data than in previous stages. It could in all reality take a few months to compile all of it. Which is why I'm asking for any help anyone can give.  I would invoke the same kind of bonus that Drac was offering for a bit... Extra ICs and such, but I don't have that kind of power...

Gur and Trick, as always, you guys have been a huge help in all of this and you have my deepest gratitude.

{XenB}{LogS}{Shut}
Trykon
ComNet Marshal

Trykon

[VE-NAVY] Vice Commodore

Post Number:  3055
June 13, 2013 6:23:03 PM    View the profile of Trykon 
My instinct is to say roll out the progressive levels of detail in sequence, starting with this level of detail before adding all the medals and such.  Get versions of it up, before "upgrading" with deeper layers of detail.

And as far as rewards, I can certainly help with that.  Fishhead, this is now your show, but know that the Navy can likely funnel some credits to you to distribute as reward money for people helping out. 

Everyone should also be aware that the NHC is going to debut a new, upgradeable ribbon very soon, that will honor wiki accomplishments.  So you have that to look forward to, too. 

TosthAaaiser
ComNet Initiate

TosthAaaiser

Post Number:  130
June 16, 2013 2:35:31 PM    View the profile of TosthAaaiser 
Alright. Great info Trick.

I've added a "Rank" column to the table. So far, I've only applied that format on Counterpunch: Death so far. Note that I don't have a way to organize the ranks in order of the natural progression (e.g, PO2 -> PO1 -> CPO). I can only sort them alphabetically currently. I will try to come up with some code for that, but no promises for that quite yet.

Also, I am trying to unify the names column. Currently it's a meshing of callsigns and character names, for people such as Avalar and Gur, who do not have links to their pages with their respective callsigns. So I was considering making both a name and a callsign column. I'm thinking that will be a good place to begin for the overall skeleton structure of these tables.

But for the name column, I am considering two separate styles for entries:

The first would be "first name last name" and

the second would be "last name, first name.

For instance, "Tosth Aaaiser" and "Aaaiser, Tosth" would be respective entries.

I would appreciate any feedback at all regarding anything mentioned here.

{XenB}{LogS}{Shut}
Gurlanin
ComNet Member

Gurlanin

Post Number:  461
June 16, 2013 2:39:11 PM    View the profile of Gurlanin 
I prefer my character name to appear. Just seems better in my opinion.

And why not simply have the full name for everyone? Use the following format for the wiki:

[ wiki page name for character | name you want displayed ]

(=^TG^=)
TosthAaaiser
ComNet Initiate

TosthAaaiser

Post Number:  131
June 16, 2013 2:50:07 PM    View the profile of TosthAaaiser 
I do agree with that, Gur. But... I'm treating this more as an official record. Which does implicitly leads to using official character names on said "records."

But for now, I've got the random assortment of names types because there isn't a universal method for tagging individual wiki character pages yet and I'm not yet to the point where I want to fine tune the tables to that extent. This is just a future development point that could prove a bit difficult considering how many issues Trick has had in the past, with, say, things such as awards for Death and such.

{XenB}{LogS}{Shut}
Trykon
ComNet Marshal

Trykon

[VE-NAVY] Vice Commodore

Post Number:  3060
June 16, 2013 4:13:18 PM    View the profile of Trykon 
Wait, what?  I've had issues with rewards?

I'd love to standardize a bit, so that full names are the norm for lists.  That's the side I fall on in the debate.

TosthAaaiser
ComNet Initiate

TosthAaaiser

Post Number:  132
June 16, 2013 4:55:21 PM    View the profile of TosthAaaiser 
That was worded a bit badly, Trick. I was more or less referring to your public service announcement you made after we wrapped up Death.

I'll go ahead and give the debate more thought. I'm still leaning towards standardizing the names. Just seems a bit more appropriate for this project.

{XenB}{LogS}{Shut}
Trykon
ComNet Marshal

Trykon

[VE-NAVY] Vice Commodore

Post Number:  3062
June 16, 2013 4:56:54 PM    View the profile of Trykon 
Still confused.  Which PSA after Death?

TosthAaaiser
ComNet Initiate

TosthAaaiser

Post Number:  133
June 16, 2013 5:06:12 PM    View the profile of TosthAaaiser 
I was referring to your PSA regarding updating wiki pages with awards and ribbons. I would link to it, but it's harder to do so on a phone. I used it analogously to future parts of the projects, such as adding awards and promotions, along with finding people's wiki pages. I should have defined that a bit better to begin with.

{XenB}{LogS}{Shut}
Trykon
ComNet Marshal

Trykon

[VE-NAVY] Vice Commodore

Post Number:  3063
June 16, 2013 5:07:46 PM    View the profile of Trykon 
Ok.  No worries.  If you're on your phone we can clarify further later, if need be. 

Avalar
ComNet Member

Avalar

[VE-DJO] Initiate

Post Number:  571
Total Posts:  786
June 16, 2013 5:34:30 PM    View the profile of Avalar 
There has always been an issue with how people titled their wiki pages. Some people like using their call sign because that just makes sense, but other people like using their character's name. I personally used my character's name because I had a former character and it just made more sense to me to write "Makenna Aleshire" than to write "Avalar" because my old character Vanity was also Avalar.

So even though I have not been involved in basically anything wiki-related at all, I do vote for actual character names. Of course there is also the option of writing something like "Makenna 'Avalar' Aleshire" if that somehow makes anything easier? I haven't been paying close attention to this thread so I may be suggesting things that aren't even pertinent.
SCO | CPO Avalar | Silver 1 | S:46 Jexxel | W:101 Blade | ISD Adjudicator | TF:A | 2Flt | VEN | VE

[SoA]  [MC1]  [CC: W] [DSM] [CBV] [CC: D] [CNQST]

TRN | INI Zarya | VEDJ | VE
Trykon
ComNet Marshal

Trykon

[VE-NAVY] Vice Commodore

Post Number:  3067
June 16, 2013 5:44:58 PM    View the profile of Trykon 
That would be my preference for official pages (like the timeline): First name "Callsign" Last name.  People are welcome to continue naming their personal pages whatever they like, but some kind of consistency in long lists would be welcome.

TosthAaaiser
ComNet Initiate

TosthAaaiser

Post Number:  137
June 18, 2013 12:59:02 AM    View the profile of TosthAaaiser 
I'll go ahead and get those additions made, then. Should be modified later today to account for full names and separation of names and ranks.

{XenB}{LogS}{Shut}
TosthAaaiser
ComNet Initiate

TosthAaaiser

Post Number:  138
June 19, 2013 9:27:34 AM    View the profile of TosthAaaiser 
And Counterpunch: Death should be done now. There's a few names that don't follow the "First Name 'callsign' Last Name" form, but I've tried reconstructing names as complete as I could according to wiki pages.

If anyone notices any problems with specific entries, feel free to PM me/post in this thread.

Again, this entry is located here.

{XenB}{LogS}{Shut}
Trykon
ComNet Marshal

Trykon

[VE-NAVY] Vice Commodore

Post Number:  3070
June 19, 2013 2:45:15 PM    View the profile of Trykon 
Looks fantastic.  The sortable columns are so cool!

Slasher
ComNet Member

Slasher

[VE-NAVY] Lieutenant Commander

Post Number:  905
Total Posts:  1054
June 21, 2013 11:22:15 PM    View the profile of Slasher 
sneaks in and looks around

Looks like you haven't blown everything up.
RET/CDR Rorran "Slasher" Gorma/VEN/VE
[IC1][SoV][CBV.][MC:1][SoL][GWC][NS-3][LSM][=*IM*=][=*SWC*=](=*A*=)(=*SA*=)(=^ME^=)
Avalar
ComNet Member

Avalar

[VE-DJO] Initiate

Post Number:  583
Total Posts:  786
June 21, 2013 11:51:16 PM    View the profile of Avalar 
O.o wild Slasher appeared on a random thread.

Wut
SCO | CPO Avalar | Silver 1 | S:46 Jexxel | W:101 Blade | ISD Adjudicator | TF:A | 2Flt | VEN | VE

[SoA]  [MC1]  [CC: W] [DSM] [CBV] [CC: D] [CNQST]

TRN | INI Zarya | VEDJ | VE
ComNet > Imperial Navy > Archived Navy Main ComNet > Naval History & Timeline  |  New Posts    
  Pages:  [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ]   

All times are CST. The time now is 1:42:11 PM
Comnet Jump:

Current Online Members - 0  |  Guests - 207  |  Bots - 1

< Contact Us - The Vast Empire >