TosthAaaiser
ComNet Novice

TosthAaaiser

[VE-NAVY] Petty Officer 1st Class

Post Number:  71
Total Posts:  232
  RE: Naval History & Timeline
May 1, 2013 1:45:08 AM    View the profile of TosthAaaiser 
Thanks for the addition to the legend Trick- didn't catch that you had added that until tonight.

As it stands, things are slowly progressing. Just added in 2004. It seems to stand that 2004 was the year of rebuilding; the quality of prose in 2005 started to increase dramatically, coupled with the fact that there were only two VE canon stories posted in total.

Comnet V2 2001 stories are also up as of tonight.

And as for the overall track... While I'm compiling the data to finish this out... I do like Drac's idea of making this more of a dossier type page. With that in mind, I'm considering building a separate section with the official Fleet-wide stories, namely the post-2004 stuff, as most of the previous entries were minor squadron posts, possibly entailing tables with total posts by individual members and such.

Thoughts?
JC |PO1 Tosth “Fishhead” Aaaiser |ISD Adjudicator/TF:B | 2Flt |FC |VEN | VE
TO | PO1 "Fishhead" | PLF Cappadocious | VENA | VEN | VE

Imperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars Image

Imperial Network Star Wars Image

"Win or lose, as long as the fight is worthy, then honor is gained. The glory at having triumphed over impossible odds is what drives me. If there's nothing at stake – your possessions, your life, your world – then the battle's meaningless. It's the true test of yourself – the battle against death... against oblivion."
Hades
ComNet Marshal
Imperial Baronet

Hades

[VE-DJO] Uninitiate
[VE-NAVY] Ensign

Post Number:  1016
Total Posts:  1245
May 1, 2013 2:39:56 AM    View the profile of Hades 
Loving this initiative, Fishhead.

Chief of Naval Training, 50th Squadron Commander

SCO | ESN "Hades" | Cobalt 1 | S:50 "Chlovi" | W:101 "Blade" | ISD Adjudicator | TF:Aurek | 2nd Fleet | SC | VEN | VE
CNT | ESN "Hades" | PLF Cappadocious | VENA | VEN | VE

VENI

"When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's superior, make life rue the day it thought it could give Demetrius Aita lemons, do you know who I am?! I'm the man who's going to burn your house down - with the lemons!"
-- Hades

{INTER} {SfrM} {XenMA} {GrAt} (=*SWC*=) (=TG=) (=*FOCE*=) {AFM} {HypM} {0Gee} {INFL}
Trykon
ComNet Marshal

Trykon

[VE-DJO] Dark Jedi Templar
[VE-NAVY] Captain

Post Number:  2709
Total Posts:  3784
May 1, 2013 3:24:11 AM    View the profile of Trykon 
Thoughts?  I, too, love the initiative, and the particulars so far.  I don't quite understand your question at the end of your last post, about a separate section... say more?

I think it's fine to have this page be mostly an archive/dossier-style list, but I would like to also eventually compile a short narrative version of the division's history, that covers the major plot events in a clear and concise way.  Again, that can happen AFTER we finish this project.
CNW/CPT Wyl "Trick" Trykon/ISD Adjudicator/TF:A/2Flt/FC/VEN/VE

[SoA][SoV][BWC][NSM][E][NAR][HNS][DSM][SWC][1NS][VC:B][LoM][VC:S][NC][GWC][VC:G][CoB][CC:3][2NS][LSM][VC:E][MSM]
(=*AE*=)(=*SAE*=)(=*TG*=)(=*SCFE*=)(=*FOCE*=)

CM/DJT Trykon/DJO/VEDJ
TosthAaaiser
ComNet Novice

TosthAaaiser

Post Number:  73
May 1, 2013 7:42:38 AM    View the profile of TosthAaaiser 
I apologize for the lack of clarity of my last post Trick. I was more asking about people's thoughts around making the timeline into more of the dossier-style list and years to include within that list.  I know it's a long term goal, as is the narrative, but I personally think it's better not to charge in blindly as I work on this.

And a bit more on the thoughts question... This was originally Drac's project... I just want to make sure that the overall changes I'm making to it are alright. I haven't been sure if there was a particular style NHC had wanted or anything, such as the narrative you have mentioned, Trick. 

I will try to clearer in the future. And I also appreciate the compliment sirs. I will try to keep pushing through with this project. Just feels a bit gargantuan at times when I'm the sole person working on it.

Imperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars ImageImperial Network Star Wars Image

"Win or lose, as long as the fight is worthy, then honor is gained. The glory at having triumphed over impossible odds is what drives me. If there's nothing at stake – your possessions, your life, your world – then the battle's meaningless. It's the true test of yourself – the battle against death... against oblivion."
Trykon
ComNet Marshal

Trykon

[VE-NAVY] Captain

Post Number:  2712
May 1, 2013 10:49:27 AM    View the profile of Trykon 
Until/unless Drac can get back, I'd rather have the project progressing slowly but surely, rather than frozen in time.  If at some point we want to revise how we're presenting the material, that's easier than collating all the material to begin with.

And I totally get feeling overwhelmed by a big wiki project.  Deputize people!    Is there a year I could do?

[SoA][SoV][BWC][NSM][E][NAR][HNS][DSM][SWC][1NS][VC:B][LoM][VC:S][NC][GWC][VC:G][CoB][CC:3][2NS][LSM][VC:E][MSM]

CM/DJT Trykon/DJO/VEDJ
TosthAaaiser
ComNet Novice

TosthAaaiser

Post Number:  74
May 1, 2013 11:54:52 AM    View the profile of TosthAaaiser 
Hm. Well, if you're up for it and have the time, anything starting without any logged data is fair game, provided it is 2006 or later. I just haven't entered the pre-2006 stuff yet.

I do appreciate the help, Trick. It'll definitely help out if you have the time.

Trykon
ComNet Marshal

Trykon

[VE-NAVY] Captain

Post Number:  2713
May 1, 2013 11:56:22 AM    View the profile of Trykon 
I'll take 2006. 

CM/DJT Trykon/DJO/VEDJ
TosthAaaiser
ComNet Novice

TosthAaaiser

Post Number:  75
May 1, 2013 12:07:58 AM    View the profile of TosthAaaiser 
Very nice. Thanks.

Just caught this myself, so I'll fixing it momentarily. To keep this project uniform, we'll want the most recent entries toward the top. So just make sure that the numbering lines in the table lines up that way. So, the last post of the year gets the first slot in the table and the first post the last table slot. Should have caught that myself earlier on...

TosthAaaiser
ComNet Novice

TosthAaaiser

Post Number:  77
May 2, 2013 5:57:49 PM    View the profile of TosthAaaiser 
Can I get a quick update on what you've gotten documented in any form at all, Trick?

I'm about to jump into this for a while and I'd like to not re-archive any posts.

Trykon
ComNet Marshal

Trykon

[VE-NAVY] Captain

Post Number:  2722
May 2, 2013 5:58:45 PM    View the profile of Trykon 
I'm working through 2006.  Just stay away from that year, and it's all good. 

CM/DJT Trykon/DJO/VEDJ
Gurlanin
ComNet Cadet

Gurlanin

[VE-NAVY] Leading Crewman

Post Number:  296
Total Posts:  757
May 5, 2013 4:58:06 AM    View the profile of Gurlanin 
I'll take this year, 2013, if no-one has any objections?

I might need a little assistance in figuring out what's canon and what's not, though. Shouldn't be too hard, but are there any major clues?
Leading Crewman Grent "Gurlanin" Notimo, 58th (Strill) Squadron
Imperial Guardian of the Vast Empire Navy

FM | LCRW Gurlanin | Iron 8 | S:58 "Strill" | W:101 "Blade" | ISD II "Adjudicator" | TF: Aurek | 2nd Fleet | SC | VEN | VE

Imperial Network Star Wars Image Imperial Network Star Wars Image

(=TG=)
{GrAt}{AFM}{Infl}{SFT}{Gunn}{Shut}
Trykon
ComNet Marshal

Trykon

[VE-NAVY] Captain

Post Number:  2742
May 5, 2013 4:59:44 AM    View the profile of Trykon 
This year has been pretty straightforward, I would think.  No personal stories stand out as canon, that I can remember, which leaves mostly just Counterpunch.  Remember, Gurlanin, not to edit the wiki page directly; just post your entries here in this thread. 

CM/DJT Trykon/DJO/VEDJ
Gurlanin
ComNet Cadet

Gurlanin

Post Number:  297
May 5, 2013 6:23:33 AM    View the profile of Gurlanin 
I know ... I know .... FishHead already told me that.

And I thought 2013 would be a nice introduction to the whole thing. If I do it well enough, then maybe I can do 2012.

FM | LCRW Gurlanin | Iron 8 | S:58 "Strill" | W:101 "Blade" | ISD II "Adjudicator" | TF: Aurek | 2nd Fleet | SC | VEN | VE

(=TG=)
TosthAaaiser
ComNet Novice

TosthAaaiser

Post Number:  81
May 5, 2013 8:50:00 AM    View the profile of TosthAaaiser 
Definitely a possibility, Gurlanin.

I know the updating the wiki page seems pretty important to you. But at the moment, it's just better if it stays untouched. I'm working on a lot of simple things with the template format currently, and it just makes it easier this way.

That being said, welcome to the team.

Gurlanin
ComNet Cadet

Gurlanin

Post Number:  298
May 5, 2013 10:56:29 AM    View the profile of Gurlanin 
Updating the wiki in certain situations is important to me. To he honest, I just like doing it.

However, in situations like this, I like to get the info altogether before I do anything.

(=TG=)
TosthAaaiser
ComNet Novice

TosthAaaiser

Post Number:  82
May 5, 2013 11:53:51 PM    View the profile of TosthAaaiser 
2002, 2009, and 2011 are officially done and updated to the new format.

This means we now have 2001, 2002, 2004, 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2011 are all done, with minor upcoming changes I will be handling with adding links and such.

Trick, I appreciate everything Drac and yourself have done to help this project along.

So, with that, this project seems to be starting to pick up speed. I appreciate your efforts so far.

I'm trusting both of you are well into your respective years; I'll be wrapping up 2003 and 2005 in the next day or so. Then I'll be tackling 2007.

-Fishhead

Trykon
ComNet Marshal

Trykon

[VE-NAVY] Captain

Post Number:  2747
May 5, 2013 11:57:05 PM    View the profile of Trykon 
I'm about halfway done.  And I will be finishing.  But I have to prioritize story posts to wrap up Death, and the massive undertaking that is shinies/promos/rewards for a major story.  Plus, the Navy always needs structural tweaks, after a big story.  So, it is coming, just don't expect it super soon. 

CM/DJT Trykon/DJO/VEDJ
TosthAaaiser
ComNet Novice

TosthAaaiser

Post Number:  83
May 5, 2013 11:59:54 PM    View the profile of TosthAaaiser 
No rush at all, boss. Just wanted to give a quick update from my end. I know you've got much more important duties as it is.

TosthAaaiser
ComNet Novice

TosthAaaiser

Post Number:  84
May 6, 2013 4:20:12 PM    View the profile of TosthAaaiser 
Everything but 2006, 2012, and 2013 are now done. I'll be starting on 2012 shortly, provided no one else will claim it.

And I have drawn up a slight side project, which will be linked to on the timeline wiki page. This project is just a bit more detailed timeline, as I had mentioned in a previous post. It will essentially entail more detailed entries for each mission, separated by mission type (e.g, Fleet, Starfighter Squadron). I personally feel as if this is a natural supplement for the timeline itself, if for no other reason than to observe the evolution of the club.

Beyond that, cluttering the timeline with these details would push the timeline away from it's original purpose. Having supplements to refer to, though, is always a plus.

And Trick, with that in mind, I was thinking perhaps that the mission descriptions would be better placed there. We still leave the timeline itself the way it is, with writing the Naval Division's major history where he had it planned out. Other descriptions for the missions might well be located elsewhere.

Gurlanin
ComNet Member

Gurlanin

Post Number:  311
May 6, 2013 4:21:54 PM    View the profile of Gurlanin 
Now that I'm just about done with Counterpunch, I can start concentrating on 2013 stuffs.

(=TG=)
Trykon
ComNet Marshal

Trykon

[VE-NAVY] Captain

Post Number:  2755
May 6, 2013 4:39:17 PM    View the profile of Trykon 
If you want descriptions elsewhere, leaving a very basic, barebones timeline, that's okay with me.  One thing I DO want us to add to the timeline entries, though: links to the stories themselves.  Every story title, maybe, should be a link to the story named.  That won't add any length to the entries, but will add a LOT of functionality to this resource.

2006 should be done quite soon.

CM/DJT Trykon/DJO/VEDJ
TosthAaaiser
ComNet Novice

TosthAaaiser

Post Number:  85
May 6, 2013 4:41:33 PM    View the profile of TosthAaaiser 
The linking to the actual stories have been done for every entry; I made sure of that personally.

Trykon
ComNet Marshal

Trykon

[VE-NAVY] Captain

Post Number:  2756
May 6, 2013 5:00:27 PM    View the profile of Trykon 
Okay, here's the data for 2006:

Story Type: Squadron
Mission Type: Aegis Squadron
Story Name: Aegis-Hidden Power
Story Commander: Senior Crewman Hunter
Date Started: January 6, 2006
Plot Description: enemy=pirates who stole a corvette with an experimental reactor
Link = http://comnet.imperialnetwork.com/topic/6484/

Mission Type: Nazgul Squadron
Story Name: Nazgul M3: Cepany
Story Commander: 2nd Lt. Shazam
Date Started: January 12, 2006
Plot Description: enemy=pirates
Link = http://comnet.imperialnetwork.com/topic/6508/

Story Type: VENA
Mission Type: training exercise
Story Name: Training: Imperial Initiation
Story Commander: Lt. Commander Shazam
Date Started: April 6, 2006
Plot Description: simulator exercise against X-wings
Link = http://comnet.imperialnetwork.com/topic/6782/

Story Type: Wing
Mission Type: Phoenix Wing
Story Name: Phoenix Wing Campaign 01: Shattering Fate
Date Started: April 30, 2006
Plot Description: enemy = Reugrand Sovereignty
Link = http://comnet.imperialnetwork.com/topic/6879/

Story Name: The Might
Date Started: June 27, 2006
Plot Description: enemy=Rothow, commander of Reugrand Sovereignty forces, aboard VSD Might
Link = http://comnet.imperialnetwork.com/topic/7076/

Mission Type: Kaph Squadron
Story Name: ESC: Kaph Story
Story Commander: Chief Warrant Officer Willtconq
Plot Description: enemy=New Republic
Link = http://comnet.imperialnetwork.com/topic/7074/

Story Name: ESC: Aegis Story
Story Commander: Warrant Officer 2nd Class Jaden
Plot Description: enemy=pirates
Link = http://comnet.imperialnetwork.com/topic/7073/

Story Name: ESC: Nazgul Squadron
Plot Description: enemy=Imperial Remnant factions
Link = http://comnet.imperialnetwork.com/topic/7075/

Mission Type: Nazgul Squadron CD
Story Name: Nazgul Vacation: Forman II
Story Commander: Senior Chief Petty Officer Trevor Evenson
Date Started: July 30, 2006
Plot Description: an adventure while on vacation
Link = http://comnet.imperialnetwork.com/topic/7268/

Mission Type: Kaph Squadron CD
Story Name: Kaph – vacation story – Imous III
Story Commander: Ensign Willtconq
Date Started: August 9, 2006
Plot Description: an adventure while on vacation
Link = http://comnet.imperialnetwork.com/topic/7308/

Story Name: Aegis Squadron: Adoration of Silence
Story Commander: Warrant Officer 1st Class Jaden
Date Started: August 15, 2006
Plot Description: enemies=New Republic and mercenaries
Link = http://comnet.imperialnetwork.com/topic/7333/

Story Name: Nazgul at Messari: A Rude Awakening
Story Commander: Commander Shazam
Date Started: October 11, 2006
Plot Description: sequel to Nazgul Vacation: Forman II
Link = http://comnet.imperialnetwork.com/topic/7495/

Story Name: Phoenix Wing: Livin on a Prayer
Story Commander: Commander Shazam
Date Started: November 12, 2006
Plot Description: enemy=New Republic
Link = http://comnet.imperialnetwork.com/topic/7640/

Please note my categories... more often it's "story" rather than "mission."  I'd like that to be reflected on the timeline wiki page.  Good work putting in the links, Fishhead.

CM/DJT Trykon/DJO/VEDJ
[This message has been edited by Trick (edited May 6, 2013 5:01:29 PM)]
TosthAaaiser
ComNet Novice

TosthAaaiser

Post Number:  86
May 6, 2013 5:02:50 PM    View the profile of TosthAaaiser 
I appreciate it, Trick. Looks like we're just about done with this now.

Gurlanin
ComNet Member

Gurlanin

Post Number:  312
May 6, 2013 5:04:21 PM    View the profile of Gurlanin 
Soon, 2013 shall be up here also.

Soon. As in, probably tomorrow.

(=TG=)
TosthAaaiser
ComNet Novice

TosthAaaiser

Post Number:  87
May 6, 2013 11:49:42 PM    View the profile of TosthAaaiser 
I appreciate the help, guys. Jumping into 2012 as soon as I post this.

Just a few questions about general formatting Trick:

1) I have various "mission type" for the single PC canonized stories, such as "single-ship" or "one-post" story for these. Is there a more uniform classification I should add for those missions?

2) Starting at the end of 2010, when the 7th Fleet started posting, we classified the stories as "7th Fleet," but that page no longer exists. Can I change that to match the current Intelligence based entries?

Lastly, if people can begin to look over for general formatting for me, to make sure I haven't missed anything regarding links/uniformity, I would greatly appreciate it. Link is here.

-Fishhead

[This message has been edited by TosthAaaiser (edited May 7, 2013 2:10:51 AM)]
Trykon
ComNet Marshal

Trykon

[VE-NAVY] Captain

Post Number:  2758
May 7, 2013 1:59:16 AM    View the profile of Trykon 
1) We should really come up with a bunch of keywords (or key phrases), that can be used in the "mission type" column.  Multiple per story, if they need more than one.

2) The icon for 7th Fleet stories should be the VENI maze icon, but they should be called 7th Fleet, to acknowledge that for a period of time there was such a thing.

CM/DJT Trykon/DJO/VEDJ
TosthAaaiser
ComNet Novice

TosthAaaiser

Post Number:  88
May 7, 2013 2:17:26 AM    View the profile of TosthAaaiser 
I do agree on that first point...

I've tried to stick with what Drac had established, using that category ("mission type") to document essentially what units were involved in it.

But that has proven tough to implement on some of the stories. As for tagging purposes... The units need to stay, but beyond that... Not sure what else we would need.

As for the single-PC/post type stories, mark that it was that, but include the unit the PC is associated with?

I'll keep thinking on developing that a bit more.

Trykon
ComNet Marshal

Trykon

[VE-NAVY] Captain

Post Number:  2760
May 7, 2013 2:21:19 AM    View the profile of Trykon 
In general, I think the single-post stories aren't "unit stories," so we shouldn't list the units the posters belonged to... most of the time, those are personal posts that for one reason or another became Navy canon.

CM/DJT Trykon/DJO/VEDJ
TosthAaaiser
ComNet Novice

TosthAaaiser

Post Number:  89
May 7, 2013 2:33:31 AM    View the profile of TosthAaaiser 
Yeah. Hm...

Looking through those particular posts, quite a few seem to be the SCAP certification stories. I'll compile a small list within the next few days and post it here so we can look at it in a more focused manner.

But I do think a good starting point would be to tag the SCAP certification stories as such, in some way. We may want to use the Academy picture for those as well.

ComNet > Imperial Navy > Archived Navy Main ComNet > Naval History & Timeline  |  New Posts    
  Pages:  [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ]   

All times are CST. The time now is 12:26:04 AM
Comnet Jump:

Current Online Members - 0  |  Guests - 66  |  Bots - 1

< Contact Us - The Vast Empire >